Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the forty nine Ers First and ten Podcast, presented by Cisco. Ten minutes of the most up to date forty nine Ers news. First thing in the morning. I'm your host Brianna McDonald and joining me is forty nine Ers beat reporter Larry Krueger from CANBR and The Krug Show. We're going to talk the latest on Niners today. Larry, thanks for joining me, Brianna.
Speaker 2: Great to be here. It's great to talk after a win.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, the forty nine ers came back from the buy and secured a win on the road. What was your overall take on their performance, especially after some of the struggles leading up to bye week.
Speaker 3: Well, I think Shanahan said it to the team before the game, or maybe the night before, Hey, this is going to be a grimy, hard game. I mean Tampa is injury depleted, but you know we saw the week prior innsas City on the Monday night or they they fight and they claw, and there's a lot of fight to that football team. And Baker Mayfield's a great competitor, and you know Tampa came out and gave the forty nine Ers all they wanted. If the fort Niners make you know all their kicks. If they're a little bit better in the red zone, this probably would have been a blowout game. It probably would have been more like closer to forty to twenty. But but you know what, it was a huge win. It was a gut check win. It was great to see Christian back. One thing I noticed is that Christian's presence definitely opened up the kind of the chunk.
Speaker 2: Yardage plays for the other receivers.
Speaker 3: Jennings had a thirty yard reception, Pierce All had a forty six yard reception, Deebo had a thirty two yard reception.
Speaker 2: Kittle did as well, So it was great to see. It was great to see.
Speaker 3: And then I love the young kid Evan Anderson who had a penalty that was costly at the end, and then he immediately atones for that by blowing up Rashad White in the backfield and a key sequel at the end of that game. I love the way the rookie from Florida Atlantic is playing yeah.
Speaker 1: And wide receiver Ricky Piersall had a standout performance with his first career touchdown and some key clutch catches late in the game. He's been nominated for the PEPSI zero Sugar Rookie of the Week Award. How do you see him progressing in this offense and how do you think his role will continue to grow?
Speaker 2: You know, he's a great guy to talk to in the locker room.
Speaker 3: You can tell he's got a terrific attitude and he's just what you love to see is just guys who get a little bit better, a little bit better, a little bit better that consistent effort. And I think he's getting ready to step into the shoes that are vacated once I you went down. I mean, he's not Ayuk and they're different players, but Ricky's tough. The players really love him. He's got great ball skills and kind of underrated short area quickness and stop and start and change a direction. So I think he's going to be a guy that brock per is going to absolutely love. I think there's a chance that he could emerge for the Niners and give them what pukain Nakua gave Stafford in La just that guy on third and six that can run a stop route and be so in tune with the quarterback that it's almost you could almost know what's coming and still can't stop it. I think there's potential for that and that is really exciting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, the forty nine ers, A lot of the forty nine ers rookie class has been playing a lot of snaps this season within some first year players like Dominic Poone have been key contributors. What's been your assessment of how the rookies have performed so far, particularly Poony at right guard.
Speaker 3: Oh, I mean, it's just he's been spectacular. I mean, he's so mature, he's very intense. He grades out incredibly highly. If you watch his film. He does what he's coached to do, but then he also fills in for other guys. So he'll block his guy, and then he'll look to the left or right and see if he can help Brendle or mckivts.
Speaker 2: And it's just a really good player. And it's not just him.
Speaker 3: I mean, to me, I thought, the most amazing stat that I saw this week is that Ronardo Green has one of the best numbers against against in pass coverage this year of any player in the NFL. He's second in the NFL. Ronardo Green is second in the NFL. He's played one hundred and fifty eight snaps. He's the second highest graded defender in the NFL according to PFF as far as corners go. So I think we're looking at Ronardo. He's been very quiet, he doesn't talk a lot. He's very intense. But we've been looking at him as a good young player. But I don't think he's a good young player. I think he might be potentially one of the forty nine ers greatest young players, and a guy who a year from now or two years from now is going to be regarded around the league as one of the elite corners in the game.
Speaker 2: So great.
Speaker 3: It wasn't a good second round pick. It was a spectacular second round pick. And the more I see of Ronardo Green, the more I realize, you know what, him and Lenore are going to be special for the next three or four years together.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, Kyle Shanahan has often been praised for his adaptability with the way the roster has had to adjust this season due to injuries. How do you think Shanahan has managed to keep the team competitive despite these challenges.
Speaker 3: Well, it's it's really been amazing, Brianna, if you think about it, I mean, the forty nine Ers are averaging over seven yards on first down. It's the second best in all of football to the Baltimore Ravens. And they haven't had the reigning offensive player of the year until just this last game, and I Yukes out for the year and other guys have missed times.
Speaker 2: So you know, you know it's funny.
Speaker 3: Is there are people that are critical of Kyle and yet if you look, they're a top five rushing offense, they're a top five passing offense, they're number two in time of possession, and they're dominating on first down. These are all great offensive indicators, and so in some ways, I kind of feel like he's doing one of his masterful coaching efforts to have this team still producing offensively. Now they got to bet on d they have to be much better on special teams and it all counts, but offensively without CMC, I've been very impressed.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Well, the forty nine Ers are now facing a divisional rival in the Seattle Seahawks. How do you expect the forty nine ers will approach this game differently compared to their first meeting earlier in Week six.
Speaker 3: Well, the one thing about this game you gotta remember is Seahawks are coming off the buy and they've they're struggling. They're they're not playing good football. They've lost five of six, they've lost a couple in a row. They're trying to hit the reset. They've made some tough personnel decisions. They just cut their linebacker Terrell Dodson. They're they're, you know, whatever their best effort is. I think it's going to come right here. But you know, their offensive line has not been great. Now they do get Abraham Lucas back at right tackle, that's gonna help quite a bit. But I'm looking for the forty nine or defensive line to kind of set the tone in this game. I think, you know, it'll be interesting to see the last game. They came out and they tried to commit to the run. They ran Walker twenty five times, but only for like eighty three yards, So they ran it a lot, but they didn't run it efficiently. To me, that's where it starts. You have to stop that run game. Seattle runs less than any other team in football, and they throw it more than any other team in football, and they don't have balance. So I think the game plan's got to be because the Niners possessed the ball. I think number two in the league. I think the Seahawks might be like twenty eighth in time of possession. I would start there, dominate time of possession, keep Seattle's defense on the field, wear them down, and beat them in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 1: Well, with a divisional rival up next, Larry, give us a look at the entire division. What's the state of the NFC West like in Week eleven?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean it's a really interesting division in that Arizona has continued to get better. I think, you know, Jonathan Gannon is a really good football coach and Manti ausin Ford is a pretty good personnel guy. So they come into week eleven and kind of in the driver's seat in the division they're playing. Well, have to buy this week, so they won't play, they'll get to watch everybody. The Rams just lost at home to the Dolphins, and you know, the Rams just really.
Speaker 2: Didn't look good. They didn't look sharp.
Speaker 3: And I think the Rams, you know, probably the team that's gonna fade in this division. And then Seattle. I mean, I think this is a huge game for the forty nine ers because if they can deliver a knockout blow type win, they could send Seattle reeling and really into a kind of a rough patch in the second half of the year. So I think this is a pivotal game for the forty nine ers because I think they can deal Seattle a serious blow. And then it's also a big game because they got to win these division games so they can make you know they their ticket to the playoffs is to outrun the Rams, the Cardinals, and the Seahawks to the NFC West title. And it starts Sunday.
Speaker 1: Finally, to get some more of your insight, what do you see as the key matchup in this game? Where will the forty nine ers have to excel secure win over the Seahawks.
Speaker 3: Well, you always have to be able to stop DK Metcalf.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's just a monster.
Speaker 3: He's got an mcl sprain, but he's gonna go I was talking to some of their people yesterday. They don't feel like he's gonna miss this game. So can Mooney make it back from the tragedy that he just went through? And he is in a lot of ways the DK Metcalf stopper, So I'm looking for Mooney to come back and have a huge effort against DK. And if you can take away Metcalf. As much as this team loves to throw the football, I think this that's the way you beat Seattle. As you you know, Mooney's won against Metcalf the last two or three matchups, and if he wins again, I think the Niners that's a big key.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, Larry, that will do it for today's episode. Thank you so much for joining me. Faithful Subscribe to First and ten presented by Cisco for more forty nine ers updates, and turn on the notifications for any breaking news Move the Chains episodes. Thanks for tuning in