Speaker 1: Hello, what what what? What?
Speaker 2: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of HI at the inaugur Ray Trends.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: My name is Jack Waw and.
Speaker 2: We're still doing vocal warm ups over here with my special guest co host, Brian the Editor.
Speaker 1: It's me, it's me. My mic sounds nice, My mic sounds nice.
Speaker 2: Listen to that sonorous resonant, Brian. How you doing? How are things looking from down to Mexico City? Feeling pretty smart?
Speaker 1: Aren't you?
Speaker 3: I don't be smugger smart. I don't want to be smugger anything. But I did read the tea leaves, you know.
Speaker 1: Uh huh you did.
Speaker 2: You were unambiguous, you weren't like, oh no, this is just because I like the weather. You were like that place seems walked up. So anyways, great to have you here, great recording as yet another fire seems to be breaking out in Los Angeles. Hopefully things get under control. Hopefully everybody stands safe out there.
Speaker 3: And if you're out of the if you're out of the danger zone, so to speak, when you go out, wear a mask because my mother tells me the air is fucked up.
Speaker 2: Not great, it's not great. I just realized I have a meeting in fifteen minutes, so this is gonna be a short one, all right, Raby fire right with fire Jack Brian quote miles of Jack on mat Boosti's Brian start the clock. All right. Elon was on something at the inauguration.
Speaker 1: There's just a video pim you you good? Is you rolling? Bitch? I might be that is what and that is what I said.
Speaker 2: He had any amount of charisma, he might have said that Biguccy main fan. Instead, he would have said, go fuck yourself. I don't know how many how clear I can be about this.
Speaker 1: Go fuck yourself so powerfully and cool.
Speaker 2: Anyways, he does seem to be enjoying the studio space of his body during the during this clip. If you haven't found it, well we will link off to it in the footnotes. But yeah, we were trying to speculate. Is it ketamine? Is it M D M A? Is it some combination, some unholy combination of the various substances we know he partakes them.
Speaker 3: Whatever it is, dude was geeking and leaking beacon, leaking the real nasty like that's like if Walt Fraser did commentary on people's drug use.
Speaker 2: Geeking and leaking is Elon Musk. Yeah, he looked high, but before you before this encourage you to think he's cool. This was right before he did two very clear Nazi salutes, So he's on the him on drugs. You know, some people do drugs and make good music. He does drugs and does a full Nazi salute. Yeah, just fucking it. Like the thing about the Nazi salute that it feels like it's almost like bursting forth from him, like it's like it's it's a Doctor Strangelove sitch, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it definitely felt like he's he didn't try and pull the arm down.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And also, you know, he does seem to be on that Doctor Strange like he Watching Doctor Strange Love with Elon Musk would be interesting because he would be rooting for the generals and Doctor Strangelove and being like, yeah, these people have like good ideas. We should good kill most people and then I'll repopulate the earth myself. Anyways, interesting times over there. Elon Musk continues to be terrifying and also uncool at the same time. Powerfully uncool, powerfully uncool.
Speaker 3: Like Elon Musk is so uncool he makes bezos look slightly more cool than he is writting compared when they're standing next to each other, You're like, oh yeah, like Bezos is the cool one out of this swag. He's he's he comes off cooler than Zuck or Elon somehow because they're so lame.
Speaker 2: There is also, of course, that clip of Zuck uh oh with the boobs, Yeah, looking down at some boobs and then smiling like truly, just like a fucking seven year old, how do you how do you look at boobs and then like just can't stop yourself from smiling over the age of the headline I was trying to recreate is uh. I knew one day I'd have to watch powerful men burn the world down. I just didn't expect them to be such losers. That is from Rebecca shaw great headline.
Speaker 1: They should have never gave these nerds money. They should have never gave.
Speaker 2: These nerds money. We need to stop letting white people do this shit. Was is a line from tomorrow's episode that paulave Gonalin says that I think is just a good thesis for the coming years. All right, Uh, it's kind of impossible to keep track of all Trump's bullshit right now. So we'll just like kind of take our time look at like a thing at a time, specifically crypto. The crypto bros. How are they dealing with all this? Yeah, so he just pardoned Ross Olbricht, who was the guy behind Silk Road. Silk Road was the you know dark web marketplace where you could buy drugs, and you know, as as cool as that might sound, he did it while using a pseudonym lifted from the Princess Bride. He called himself dread Pirate Roberts. But like libertarians and crypto enthusiasts were very adamant that Trump pardoned this guy on day one when Trump in order to secure their votes. Remember there's like a point during the election where he like went to the libertarian.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, didn't they boo him? They did?
Speaker 2: But then he like one of the things he said he'd do was pardon this guy on day one. Day one came and went. People were like, what the and any.
Speaker 3: Other places you can get kead of me? And guys, I don't know, you need to Yeah.
Speaker 2: Just ask you La Musk. We were speculating does he take the like drugs that you just take as an eye dropper? Like that? I feel like that's the thing.
Speaker 3: I feel like rich people don't don't like people drugs in a regular way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he doesn't have in his and he's like using his car keys.
Speaker 3: To take I feel like rich people don't do powdery drugs. They're like, no, my mucous membranes are too rich for this.
Speaker 2: You know, people who are like terminal with cancer have like pain drugs that are like pumped into them via a like automated, like en surgically inserted machine in their body. I feel like he probably has.
Speaker 3: That, just because I remember, like, I feel like Madison Cawthorn when he was snitching on everybody.
Speaker 1: I feel like he said, they're doing cocaine through their eyeballs with eye.
Speaker 2: Drops, which god, that must have seemed so strange to him. A total like rube from the city. He's like guys. Anyways, he got booted the fuck out of there.
Speaker 1: Anyways.
Speaker 2: Also, the Silk Road guy, like this is I didn't realize this. I've seen this story covered in a couple of places. But he was also I guess. I guess it wasn't the primary thing he was being held for, but he did try to murder multiple people. He kept trying to hire assassins, who, as we've learned many times, hit men don't really exist. They're just undercover federal agents trying to trick you. And he kept hiring hitman and they were like staging the murders to make him think that he had killed the people, Like they would like show him photographic evidence that the people were killed, and then he would like hire them for more murders and like that somehow wasn't the thing that he was being held on. But he thought he fully believed he had murdered multiple people and was like, yes, I would like to order three more murders please.
Speaker 3: I would feel really uncomfortable, like having like a task rabbit hit man that I like keep hitting up, like you either have a goon on staff or you keep switching it up. I feel like I don't know if I can trust a task rabbit assassin.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I've always said that, Brian, I said, you have to you know, you have to go with people you trust. Your personal rescucations is the only way to hire a hitman. But anyway, so he you know, in addition to being what would appear to be like a cold blooded murderer and having made millions of dollars off of what was basically Kigigi for children curious about meth. He was pardon by Trump and people like so crypto people are still They funded ten million dollars for his inaugural fund. They paid Snoop to play at the pre inauguration, which I did you know that Snoop performed at the pre inauguration crypto ball.
Speaker 3: Yes, I couldn't help, but hear about it and was immediately shown the tweet where he was asking like which one of you basically like asking like which one of you rappers is going to end up performing for Trump? Like like which one you don't? That a long time ago, a long time ago. And people immediately pulled up that receipt and it's like it's you bro, You're the dumb fuck is gonna take you know, bag over everything, bag above all. You know, I'm not surprised about you know what was this Soldier boy.
Speaker 2: Or yeah, soldier Boy was was like actively lobbying Trump.
Speaker 3: But like, I mean, doesn't surprise me either, because he's a rapacious capitalist.
Speaker 2: So a lot of successful people are. It turns out that's how.
Speaker 3: He's not a rapper anymore. It's like he hasn't. He's a mascot for him, Yeah, more than a rapper these days.
Speaker 2: He is to rap what Donald Trump is to business people. He's a person who is the symbol of something that they were once involved with. But anyways, uh, people are also in within the crypto world. They seem to not be too impressed with Donald Trump's big meme coin offering. So like, I don't know shit about the crypto world, but apparently meme coins are viewed as like inere thing because they're just like they're kind of like something you would create to satirize cryptocurrency.
Speaker 1: Well, there's there's two varieties of maame coins.
Speaker 3: There's what you just said, and then it's either that or it's a complete fucking pump and dump scam. And a lot of the the crypto evangelists, like the people who really who really like I was, I just happen to like sometimes I'll go on those stupid like the news apps on your browser where it's just a bunch of advertisements and weird shit, and I clicked on this crypto thing, and they're like, uh, sheba e new coin is on pace to hit point zero zero three cents within the next ten years, within the next ten years, and that is those people must really believe in the long game, so that there's this schism in the crypto community. I imagine where some people are believe this is the future still somehow, and you know, everybody else is like, well, it's fucking it's free real estate, let's get this money, let's scam people. And yeah, I can imagine that pissing off these delusional people.
Speaker 2: They put a ton of money into like getting him into office so that he would do legislation and executive orders that would make it easier for them to do crypto, you know, the seemingly legitimate scare quotes crypto, and then he immediately does the pump and dump skis immediately is just like I'm gonna make as much money as I can and then just.
Speaker 3: It's no different from what Hawk to A did or that Paul brother or whatever, like yeah, yeah, there were like meme shirts on the Jersey shore boardwalk.
Speaker 2: They were like Hawktua for President twenty twenty four, and it's like that's basically what we got, Like that's it's just a fucking just a meme figurehead guy, Like that's I mean, not we got much worse, obviously, but people are saying it was embarrassing and it's filling them as crypto people with dread. But I don't know you call it. One crypto engineer claimed that Trump's meme coin made him question if he wants to be involved with crypto at all anymore, and complained that he doesn't know how to explain the last few days in crypto to his children. Which that's the thing.
Speaker 3: When you have something like crypto, you have the fantastical appeal of like this will bring forth a new era of whatever the fuck they think is gonna happen with crypto. Yeah, but it also just happens to be a perfect way to scam people in lounder money, Like there's gonna be a little friction just.
Speaker 2: Happens to be by accident, as a totally accidental byproduct of this legitimate thing that we've made. It does seem like they object to because Superducer Victor is like, oh, this is where they draw the line the Nazi shit. Yeah, it does seem like they're reacting. They're drawing the line on the on the cryptocurrency more than the Nazi stuff. But yeah, that that seems to be. Everybody's just like, we're going to run this country like a business, and that's going to be a good thing, and that what it's always been to me. All Right, take a quick break and we'll be back to talk about movies and Netflix and McDonald's and all all the fun stuff. We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: Ed we're back.
Speaker 2: And how are you on cult movies? Brian? Do you like cult movies? Do you like clotes in general?
Speaker 3: Just just so happens, cult movies are one of my favorite genres of film.
Speaker 1: I've seen all the cult movies.
Speaker 3: If it's got a cult in it or anything thing to do with psychedelics and cults, I've seen it.
Speaker 2: What so, all right, but what are what are some cult movies?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: What are your top cult movies.
Speaker 1: In recent years?
Speaker 3: Us? No, that's I don't really take that movie to super literally, okay, sure, Like I don't put it in the category of I mean, I totally see, like the visuals of it does have like a cult kind of thing, but I don't consider that like a cult movie as such. I like stuff like The Wicker Man. Both of them there different reasons, obviously. Yeah, Mid Midsommar is probably the most recent one where I'm like, I actually kind of.
Speaker 2: Like low key fuck with that cult a little bit, but they've got some points. I still haven't seen Midsummer and I need to.
Speaker 3: I think that the way things are structured in the Midsommer cult is kind of interesting.
Speaker 2: Man. I wish I could to dive into this more, because I'm sure they are all sorts of problematic things underlying what you're saying here, Like I just kind of.
Speaker 1: Fuck with the way that they respect. Oh yeah, I'm sad problematic. You guys don't even know.
Speaker 2: So all right, well, we have a new cult. Like we've been talking before about how cult based content, we got a lot of reality shows, reality series about cults, like over the past, you know, three or four years, perhaps owing to the fact that interesting cults tends to grow during periods of larger existential questioning. And so I think it's worth mentioning that the trailer for Oputh just dropped. Iowa Deboire's new movie. She's from the Bear and just a really funny comedian and like really good actor, and she plays a journalist who visits a remote compound belonging to a reclusive pop star played by John Malkovich and it turns out it's a cult I'm remembering now Marcy Martha May Marlene. Have you seen that one? No, Marcy Martin, all right, that's a good Martha Marcy May Marlene is a cult movie from like twenty eleven. It's the first thing I saw.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll check that out.
Speaker 2: It's good, good cult movie. I enjoy it. But yeah, I'm ready for a new cult movie, and this one looks.
Speaker 3: Like it, especially with John Malkovich as the as the head also, but it's kind of hard for me to picture John Malkovich as a quote pop star.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like I could.
Speaker 3: I could see him as like a Michael Franks type figure, like a soft rock star, but not a pop star.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'll be interesting, like how they Yeah, because he doesn't have that classic pop star look necessarily.
Speaker 1: No. Yeah, but yeah, I'm I'm on board.
Speaker 2: Definitely on board.
Speaker 1: He definitely cult.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is a twenty four and the trailer is a lot of fun. So Netflix is crushing it. I just saw a headline that was like Netflix fucking blowing up, uh, doing so good at the stock market, and so of course they are going to make us all pay more they are raising the PRISS on their ad free premium plan to twenty four ninety nine a month, which that is and for what what didn't it used to be like it was like very recently. It was like in the low teens, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like they they feel like this was literally like a year ago, like to the day, like they yeah, they bumped it up to like I don't know, like seventeen dollars or something stupid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is just the thing that I keep saying about how there's no consumer, no voice for like the consumer, the vast majority of the humans in this country have absolutely no voice in this country. This is a great and like we need like this is what Ralph Ralph Nader's big you know, innovation was like a consumer advocate who would stop car companies from killing people by being like, could you put seatbelts in your cars? That would be cool, just like really common sense ideas.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's me because I did call the FCC on Hulu one time, because I don't know if you ever used the Hulu app, but you're watching a show on Hulu and it's like you have the volume set and you can hear the dialogue.
Speaker 1: And then effects aren't too loud.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And when I say the ads damn near blew out my speakers, I was so fucking mad. I was like, there's there's a I think it's called the FCC mad Well, I was called the FCC mad because there's there's a law about loss.
Speaker 2: They're not allowed to do that about.
Speaker 3: The loudness of advertisements. And when I talked to the people at the FCC, they were like, that only applies to broadcast television, and I was like, I don't care what fucking cable this show comes into my house on.
Speaker 1: This is a legal like.
Speaker 2: Because yeah, because we for a long time now the only people with a voice or corporations, they can do whatever the fuck they want. Anyways, they're in this feedback loop where they can treat the consumer like shit by like raising prices. They're like, okay, let's stress test these people, see how much we can charge them for a thing. And the feedback they get is that their stock price goes up. So it's like a system that is built specifically to reward people for treating the consumer like shit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it also ties into the whole thing of like these companies which I can't remember Oh, it was Adobe who got in trouble for making it really hard to cancel your subscription, like they always hide it or make the button really small. They make you click through like five pages. I tried to quit Audible the other day. I had to click through like five pages.
Speaker 1: Like are you sure? But are you sure that you're sure? Are you? Like?
Speaker 3: What if we giving a discount, Like they won't let you cancel shit. So yeah, a lot of people are just going to be paying for Netflix and might not even know that the price has gone up.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Last time prices were raised, people were like, that's fucked up. One of the arguments that we heard back, presumably from like a paid plant, was like, I'm sorry, you just want to keep devaluing art and make it so we can't.
Speaker 1: Oh weird devaluing art.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're devaluing art by not wanting Netflix to raise their prices at will, and then you know, get positive feedback from raising prices. But anyways, in this case, it's important to note that like their structure, like the what they're investig in going forward is NFL games and boxing matches between sounds expensive terrible celebrities. Yeah, so that's that is what you're subsidizing.
Speaker 1: It's not art, it's CTE. Yeah, it's CTE.
Speaker 2: There raising prices to invest in research into ct giving, specifically how TV give it to around people. One of the big reasons the subscriber boost happened in the first place was because people wanted to see the second season of Squid Game, so which sucked. I didn't see it, but it's just fun to note that a anti capitalist story about the horrors of exploiting the masses inspired the corporation to jack up their prices. So that's where we're at. It is so funny that the second season. Yeah, I'm hearing like not great things about it. It's like when they didn't know what they had, When Netflix didn't know what they had and weren't paying any attention to squid Game, it became like they made a really great season of TV. Once they knew what they had.
Speaker 3: It's like it got immediately made a game show and of mediocre second season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyways, that's happening. They're raising prices and as long as people don't cancel their Netflix subscriptions, they will keep doing that and getting rewarded for it.
Speaker 3: Let me just let me just throw in something here just to make me seem even more problematic. Jack, everybody just really evaluate what the fuck is on Netflix that is that important to you. Where you can't learn how to torrent? Okay, piracy is still very much alive and thriving.
Speaker 2: So yeah, just as the Pirate roberts, he's back out here. We all have computers. We all have computers. I'm just a man with a computer. Brian, that editor, What a pleasure having you on the show. As always, Where can people find you? Follow you all they can stuff?
Speaker 1: Stay the fuck away from me, Internet people. You can't leave me alone. Where can people find you?
Speaker 2: You can find me, don't stay away from me. I love you, Jack underscore, ol Brian on Twitter and Jack Obi the number one on Blue Sky and Blue Ski. That is going to do it for us this afternoon. We are back tomorrow with a whole last episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get your vaccines, get your flu shots, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will walk to out tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Fight Bye.