Speaker 1: I feel quite a bit. You know, throughout my career baseball on film seventy percent of the time, you're good, right crazy, But I've really really struggled when I turned professional and I thought about you, this is I made the wrong decision. I should just shut it down and move on and try something else.
Speaker 2: Calm Down with Aaron and Carissa is a production of iHeartRadio. Hey guys, welcome to the Calm Down Podcast. There should be a theme song for that. By the way, I'll tell you who had a lot of songs. Derek Jeter. We talked to him about his walk up songs. Well, first of all, this is part two of our Derek Jeter interview. He is our teammate at Fox.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all that he did with the Yankees, we get it major League Baseball. He's one of us now and we love it so much. We talked to him about his walk up songs. He had several, Carissa, and he stumped you on his first one, which I kind of loved.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I just didn't know the name of it, but I loved the song.
Speaker 2: I also tried to sing it athletes that he loves watching. I was also I asked the questions from the media.
Speaker 3: I know Erin and I.
Speaker 2: Both appreciated his response. Enjoy part two of our conversation with the Captain. Okay, So, Derek, when you look back, so you've had, you know, a fourteen time All Star, the five time World Series, You're a Hall of Famer, all of these things. I know that you have said that your favorite game, aside from winning World Series, was your last game.
Speaker 1: Why, well, I think one. I think it's a little unfair. I wouldn't say I wouldn't say it's a favorite if I said that before, then that I did particulated properly, because when you win, that's the most fun you can possibly have. The last game I played in Yankee Stadium, ironically, is the only game I ever played in Yankee Stadium, old or New that didn't count. So it was the only game I ever played in New York where we were mathematically eliminated. And it was special to me because the fans treated it like it was a playoff game. Because I grew up with fans just twenty years and the thing about Yankee fans, no disrespect to any other fans. I think they're the greatest fans in the world because they watch every day, so they watched they pretty much watched me grow up. I mean it's one hundred and sixty two games, plus it's spring training games, plus it's the postseason. They're watching you every day, and they treated that game like it was a postseason game, and it was extremely special even though it did mean anything. It didn't even count. And it's the freshest game that I have in my mind.
Speaker 2: Because it's still lasting and your nephew and that moment, and that is my favorite commercial of all time. I will embarrass myself if I tell you how many times I've watched that Jordan commercial of you and going around and all the everyone doing this and just it gives me chills, Like thinking about it. When you saw that commercial for the first time, what did you think.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, it's very humbling because you have people that you know, whether it's John Lester was on the mound, people icons in New York. I didn't even know everyone that was a part of the commercial until I saw it. And it goes back to what I said, when you play in New York before are watching and I always said that playing in the Yankee Stadium was like being on a Broadway stage, you know it. You know, we won a lot, and it almost made it seem like Yankee Stadium was a hotspot, so people would come out there. And you know, the great thing about sports, not just baseball. A great thing about sports, and I say music as well, is it brings back memories and you know, you remember where you were, who you're with. That's what makes sports so great. And playing in New York, it was just you know that commercial to respect commercial, it really makes you sit back and you know, Michael's like a big brother than me. He played baseball, and it was just one of those moments at the end of my career. I was like, you know, I've had a very very fortunate.
Speaker 2: Career, just saying that Michael is a big brother, like immediately, because he's the one person I will never ever ever want to interview or meet. And I had an opportionity psycho to tell you him. One time. I'm at the Concicco field House. It's during the Big Ten tournament. Aaron and I were both working it. You had already gone air and at this point and my producer gets in my ear and he says, you need to go up to the suite and interview Jordan because Jeffrey was playing for Illinois at the time, and then Larry Bird was up there because he's we're in Indianapolis, and are you saying I need you to go interview both of them?
Speaker 3: I go no, and he goes, what'd you just say?
Speaker 2: I go no, I'm not doing it, because it was I didn't want to meet my hero and I was like, wonder if he has bad breath, or wonder if he's mean, or wonder if he's all these things that I don't want, and now it's ruined my whole life in loving this person.
Speaker 3: So I didn't.
Speaker 2: I said no, and I'm surprised I wasn't fired, but I was like, I can't do it, and it was just that moment. It's like I can only imagine, like the first time I had to interview you actually was We're in Colorado. I had just started working for the Rockies and you hadn't been there in years because of interleague play stuff.
Speaker 3: So it was a massive deal.
Speaker 2: The Yankees are in town and my producer says to me, like, I need you to interview Derek Jeeter. At this point, I had already said no to Jordan and Burt, and I was like, I can't do the trifecta of nose to all of them, so and you couldn't have been nicer. You were so sweet to me and just so gracious. But I remember that Troy Tulowitzki Todd Hilton had just messed with him because Troy Tulowitzki wears the number two because of you, and Todd Helton and Matt Holliday put your cologne driven all over to Uluwitzky's uniform so he would just smell like you.
Speaker 3: So when he came up to meet you, you were going to be like, bro, why do you smell like me?
Speaker 2: But it was so cool, and it was just those moments where you're like, wait a minute, like this young kid in Troy like grew up wanting to be you. So I know you've had a myriad of those examples, but you and Jordan and Burt and all those people like for us, it's like the Mount rushmore so.
Speaker 1: The millionaires question, did I have that bread?
Speaker 2: No? You did not have bad breath, and thank god, because it would have ruined it for me.
Speaker 3: Derek, is there anybody you love watching?
Speaker 2: It doesn't have to be basketball baseball, football, It can be any sport.
Speaker 3: Do you have like a Derek Cheater that you cheer on.
Speaker 4: I cheer for people, you know, I cheered for for people. Usually it's people that I've gotten to know over the years. You know, Steph Curry, I don't know him well. I don't know him well at all, but just from what I see from afar, how he handles himself. I'm big on players and how they handle themselves.
Speaker 1: You know, love Mookie Bets, Aaron obviously, Corey Seor for going through baseball players. You know, there's there's so many guys. You know. He always looked up to Tom because we sort of came up similar times as a Michigan guy who's a little after me but started a little after me. But yeah, those are the types of guys that I'd like to follow.
Speaker 2: Look at you, guys, and now you're both joining the Fox family. Tom about to enter the media sphere himself. So now that you're the veteran in media, I need you to give Tom a piece of advice in entering that boot.
Speaker 3: Ooh, that's good.
Speaker 1: The piece of advice I would say is go on the Calm Down podcast.
Speaker 3: There were he's so good.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's what I was telling you.
Speaker 2: He's going to be living the Calm Down Podcast with me for eighteen weeks of his life with Kevin Burkhardt. Come on, wait. I got a couple of stories from keV. I was texting him today when I was on the plane. One thing I heard from keV kind of because we would all be like, how's it going, how's it going on the road? Like how great is Derek? He said, one of the coolest things. And I love this after being raised a Red Sox fan, just watching you and David or Poppy go off to the side at the end of like games, when you get back to the hotel and just talk. I was curious how close you guys were before because obviously Red Sox Yankees we get it all Star games events, but then now you're working with him. Anything that you took away from the year and getting close to Poppy besides the fact he smells incredible, I mean he does. No bad breath coming from that.
Speaker 1: One well, commenting on that, but what I would say.
Speaker 3: Is he's good.
Speaker 1: I didn't really know David when I played against him, fascinating I was. I was. I didn't try to be best friends with players I competed against. You know, I didn't because we were trying to beat them. They're trying to beat us. So I wasn't going to dinner, we weren't going to lunch. You know. I was always respectful, you know when I saw him a second base or during stretch, during bad effects, but I just wasn't really trying to get to know them because the only thing I want to do is beaching. So I really didn't know him, and then just getting to know David. He's what you think, he's like a character. You know, he's a cartoon character. He is one of the nicest people that you will meet, right, he really is. And I enjoyed spending time with him, like Kevin mentioned, not only on set, but you know after games four games, spending some time with them, talking to him about family. You know, my girls love him because they think he's you know, they're like, where's Big Poppy.
Speaker 3: Because Mickey Mouse. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I really have enjoyed to know him over the month or so that I was doing the game.
Speaker 4: So David, I have nothing but good things to say about Derek.
Speaker 2: You mentioned that you weren't friends with the people that you competed again. So this is a thing I will never understand. And maybe you're aligned with me, or maybe you don't have a comment on it. The exchanging jerseys after the game, and we see it football players do it a lot and they swap jerseys. I'm not into it because I'm like, I can get that you're respectful and like when the season's over, maybe send me a jersey things like that, But like, you just beat me on this field, on this you know, battlefield that we're on, and now you're asking for my jersey.
Speaker 3: Like, I just don't get it.
Speaker 2: So the competitor in you, what's your thoughts on that?
Speaker 1: Well, I think there's two sides. One. I think there's a mutual admiration that you have for players that.
Speaker 4: You play against, okay, and respect you respect them.
Speaker 1: I personally, if you beat us, I'm getting out. You know, I'm not trying to go back out and do anything, you know, and then do things behind the scenes. But to players defense, that's what they know. I mean, you know, there's there's there's a difference. You know, I never want to be back when I played, but let me use it. Back when I played now, I grew up in Calumsey, Michigan. No disrespect to Callums and Michigan, but I wasn't playing against the best players in the country or the best players in the world. Now you have these players and the showcases and summer ball, winter ball, whatever sports you have. They know these guys, they're playing against them at all times, and they build relationships and they're friendships. So I get it from that sense, But I just if if just for me, and I'm not saying it's right, this is if you beat me. I wasn't trying to hang.
Speaker 3: Around and yeah, yeah, no, I was just curious and it's.
Speaker 1: A different time though it really is a different time. I don't have a problem with it. I just personally, I personally couldn't. I don't think I could do it.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm. Any Jersey are you a Jersey guy? Do you uh? Do you collect him?
Speaker 1: I don't know. No, I don't. I don't. I have a few, but I don't go out to try to collect them.
Speaker 3: Can we know your favorite one you have?
Speaker 1: It's a good question.
Speaker 3: How many do you have?
Speaker 1: It's another good question.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 5: I lived in Tampa for years and we moved to Miami seven years ago, so all of my stuff is in storage.
Speaker 1: And I have to go through it. Okay, if you guys have on the show, we'll.
Speaker 2: Ask you at the next work dinner. Okay, can we rapid fire?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I was just gonna say I have some I have some quick hitters because I know we got to let you go at some point.
Speaker 1: Yere.
Speaker 2: Okay, you talked about music earlier and how that immediately attaches emotion to things and puts you back into place.
Speaker 3: What was your walk up song? I don't know this. I don't remember it.
Speaker 1: I had a bunch there.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, okay, what were some What were some of them?
Speaker 1: Black Rob?
Speaker 3: I don't know that.
Speaker 1: You don't know about that.
Speaker 3: I don't know about that. What can you? Can you sing a chorus or what? Give me what you want? I wanted to run into.
Speaker 1: It, absolutely not.
Speaker 3: Can you work like?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: Boy, here comes it? Okay? What else was?
Speaker 1: I think the last one that came to was eminem Lose Yourself.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's good.
Speaker 1: I would go through I would have five. That's five different songs.
Speaker 3: It depends on your mood.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would stick with a lot of times with also New York hip hop, so depends.
Speaker 2: Crazy like yeah, okay, you know it, like whoa, haws, Oh, this is a great song. I just didn't know the name of it, The Bad Mother, Like whoa, I could sing it got me.
Speaker 3: That's amazing in the head, I mean whoa yeah.
Speaker 2: No, hey, Now would you pick anything differently now? I mean with all the music now anything, if you were playing right now, you'd say yes that I'm adding that.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm old school hip hop and R and B. That's what I listened to, you know, so a lot of it's probably I mean new edition Bobby Brown.
Speaker 3: Amazing.
Speaker 2: Voice, Show to see Bill Step Show, Sisters two of Yeah, Escape, favorite meal.
Speaker 1: Chicken farmers own favorite haunt.
Speaker 2: Like favorite stop low key in New York to get a favorite meal. It didn't have to be a hot spot back in the day.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 6: You know what back in the day, you know what people don't realize is, you know, when you're in New York, when you're playing in New York, by the time you're eating dinner.
Speaker 1: It's midnight. Yeah, so a lot of places aren't even open. So, man, my favorite spot now in New York is Cargo. I go down in Miami as well, So I love Cargo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just I ate there in Vegas and those you will definitely after the Caesar salad you need breath mits, no interviews after that Caesar salad, believe them. Mark, Okay, favorite nineties rom com movie or just rom com doesn't.
Speaker 3: Even have to be nineties. Wow, Steal Magnolias, Leap Listen Seattle.
Speaker 2: How to Lose a Guy in nine days? That's my favorite. I know there isn't it ten days? I know, well, I can lose it at nine. That's my point.
Speaker 1: I can't even I can't even think of one. I can't.
Speaker 2: Hannah doesn't watch one, and you sit there and you're like, I've seen this a thousand times n nineties Hannah, No, it was important, good for her and her skin.
Speaker 3: No, okay. Favorite Christmas movie.
Speaker 1: We've been watching a lot of The Grinch.
Speaker 3: Cute which one the cartoon? Yeah, just watching it on the plane. Okay. Favorite Christmas song?
Speaker 1: Man, I saw Mommy cass.
Speaker 3: Adorable Michael, Oh yeah, yeah, that's a good one.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: What Michael Jackson has a Christmas album? Everyone dies? We should have one album? But oh, okay, okay, I'm on it.
Speaker 2: Okay, wait, word association. I'm gonna say the name. First thing you think of Kevin Burkhart.
Speaker 1: True professional. It's amazing what he is able to do. Like seriously, I mean we we He's covering the playoffs in the World Series and at the same time he has an NFL game on Sunday. Don't know how he does it? True professional.
Speaker 3: Have you seen Kevin Burkhart be sassy? Sassy? Kevin Burkhart is my favorite.
Speaker 1: I have not seen that.
Speaker 3: Well wait for year two. Okay, big poppy.
Speaker 1: As a player, my response would have been clutched, But now I would just say, like I said, just a really really really good person.
Speaker 2: Patrick Mahomes very talented.
Speaker 1: Obviously, it was interesting because I had a chance to have a conversation.
Speaker 2: With him, and I know we saw it was adorable. The interview was great, so adorable.
Speaker 1: Thank you. But I I he's just he's one of those guys that just goes to show you. I talk about it with parents a lot, with kids specializing in sports when they're so very very young, just play multiple sports. You never know. He thought he was going to be a baseball player, ended up being arguably the best quarterback in the league right now, you know what I mean. So I would say you know, just just very, very athletic and extremely talented.
Speaker 2: Favorite eighties song. Sorry, this isn't ord association because I've been dyna assis. Because I heard keV said you like eighties too. Favorite eighties song that you always like love.
Speaker 1: To hear favorite eighties song, or it.
Speaker 3: Could be nineties.
Speaker 2: We were playing Buffalo Stance by Nina Cherry a lot this weekend in Buffalo really goes well with tequila.
Speaker 1: Right man, eighties? Nineties? I like the Humpty dance.
Speaker 3: Yeah dance, here's your chance.
Speaker 1: It wasn't a request to say it.
Speaker 3: Okay, Derek, I'll tell the jokes here.
Speaker 2: Let me just say, when you're interviewing this guy back in the day and you could get a sliver of that sarcasm or saxiness right there, my sweatstash would start going.
Speaker 3: I was like, back to you in the studio, You're like, that was awesome.
Speaker 2: Being on the other side of it now in the media, do you find or do you have more a greater appreciation for the media because you are on this side, Because I imagine as a player, you must have thought a myriad of different times, like what a stupid question that is, or what a dumb question that is, but now they are a dumb questions, well some of them are dumb questions. But like, now that you're on the other side of it, do you are you softer on the media or do you have more like? Are you're more empathetic?
Speaker 1: And tell you what I think the problem is. I think the problem is is every everyone looks at it as the other side. I think everyone should try to look at it as the same side, because you, ultimately the goal is you want people to watch sports, You want them to be entertained, and you want them to want to tune in again. So I don't look at it as look I think I have a better understanding of why some questions are asked. And I wouldn't say i'd necessarily learn that more so in the last year with Box, but I think I learned quite a bit more when I was in the front office in Miami. I think you understand why certain decisions are made, why questions are asked. I think so I got a little bit of a better understanding in that sense. But I do think the relationship between the media and athletes is fractured. Anyone that tells you anything differently is lying to you because I think there's no trust, or I should say there's a lack of trust. I think there's trust with certain individuals. That's why they're able to get more information from people, because there is a sense of trust. And I think, so that's fixed, you'll always have that friction, so I do. I think I have a better understand of why certain things are asked. But I'll never understand that got you attitude where so much trying to get you. They're just trying to get you.
Speaker 3: And we feel that way too, And if you'd like to name names, we're here for it. I'm kidding.
Speaker 2: I just want to say this before we let you go, because I've said it before as somebody that started and she was in her twenties and was green as hell and probably you know, was quivering and shaking every single time. You always made me feel important. You were always so helpful to me. It's why you will always forever be one of my favorites. I love your teammate now. But you just always, despite if people were trying to have got you moments with you, you just always treated everyone with so much respect. And you said this to me a while ago. You never forget the people that treated you so well, and you've always been that person and I'm pumped your ours now.
Speaker 3: It's awesome.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Yep, thanks one of the best guys living. Yes, I sure do. And only because it's recent.
Speaker 2: I think that what you said last thing was you any you said, anyone that's had success has failed. There's always going to be bumps in the roads. It's how you keep it from being a roadblock. When did you learn that and how did you learn that to really in totality understand that success also means you had to fail along the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's funny because when I meet people who are successful in any walk of life, any profession, one of the first things I asked him is tell me about your biggest failure and how did you overcome it? Because I think a lot of times people assume they make this assumption that you woke up with success. So that's not the case. There's a lot of failures that go into it. I feel quite a bit. You know, throughout my career in baseball, you film seventy percent of the time, you're good, right, crazy, But I really really struggled when I turned professional and and you know I thought about you, this is I made the wrong decision. I should just shut it down and move on and try something else. But I had a good support group, and it starts with my parents, and I think you know they were big on always being there for me and making me understand that. You know this is going to make you stronger. But you have to go through it because everyone goes through it. Anyone that's had success goes through it. And you feel like you have those thoughts that should I quit, should I give up? And you don't just wake up and I'll just scoose me as an example in New York. And now all of a sudden you have success. You know you have to go through some things, and I think that makes you.
Speaker 2: Coming ironic, says the guy who won for a World Series in his first five years. You woke up and had a lot of success, but you had an incredible career, a Hall of Fame career. I had a cologne, a cologne Driven by the Way, still on Amazon.
Speaker 3: I've looked it up. You're the Captain.
Speaker 2: You have a lot of wonderful titles, but I know that Dad is your favorite.
Speaker 3: Right now. Thank you for sharing some time with us. We appreciate it and we love you very much. Thank you, You're the Beast.
Speaker 1: We'll see you guys again in three more years.
Speaker 2: Have Calm Down with Erin and Chrissa is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.