Speaker 1: Did you ever get lost in that though? Did it ever define you?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: Yeah, for a while I felt defined by it until I started to redefine what it was to take accountability, because accountability isn't just saying I fucked up I did this. Accountability is saying I fucked up, I did this. But let me just try to take full accountability for the mistakes that I made, regardless of the reasons why I did them, and then let me try to learn from those mistakes.
Speaker 1: Hey, thanks for watching guys. Today's episode is brought to you by Boosmos. Okay, we got a music icon in the building today. Who has been Rockinstace, the nineteen.
Speaker 4: Hundreds Woo eighteen hundred.
Speaker 1: Chart topping hit maker. Many would say, an R and B sex symbol.
Speaker 4: Let's say such a thing.
Speaker 1: Many people, including Essence in twenty ten, they said that also one of the most outspoken and funny artists that you can follow social media right now. I said this to him when he walked in. One of my favorite things is watching the many incarnations of Eric Bennet and how you have navigated and how you are here now and how you took a did you take a city bike over here?
Speaker 4: Did always I'll get New York and I'll just hop on the bike.
Speaker 1: You know, I feel like you've been riding the wave of your career and your life in that type of way from the outside. I don't know from the inside, but I feel like there's been so many times that you're this guy. Why is my phone? Did I not shut it off?
Speaker 4: Shut up people texting me? You said, ooh, ask Eric?
Speaker 1: Did ask Eric?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I feel like you came in the game and you were.
Speaker 4: Like a certain thing.
Speaker 1: What was the thing?
Speaker 2: It was?
Speaker 3: It was a barefoot bohemian smelling like a pack of incense.
Speaker 4: Neo so I don't like that time.
Speaker 1: I know you hate neil so artists.
Speaker 4: That's what I was.
Speaker 1: And how did you feel in that box?
Speaker 4: I felt like some of it was kind of true, because I feel like incenses. You enjoy some incense. And I was I was a holistic person, but I think my.
Speaker 3: My personality was closer to that of like an Oakland, California person, because in Oakland they'll be into the chakras and the instance, but they'll be like, you look at me the wrong way, you get cut my fucker, don't get this.
Speaker 4: So I think I was more of a mixture of that, but.
Speaker 3: I remember, I remember very distinctly, and I was also I have always been this goofy personality that people see online. But I remember specifically in a publicity meeting at A and not A and R. But when I was first signed to Warner Brothers and me always doing voices and cracking jokes and being goofy. I remember having this conversation, we're marketing you as like this sexy, smooth like.
Speaker 4: In public in and interviews just toned down that goofy shit. And so did they say those words basically yes, And it kind of that kind of stuck, making me feel like, Okay, if I want this to work, I'm gonna let this part of myself show, but maybe hold back to goofy Milwaukee.
Speaker 1: Dude, Oh that doesn't sound fun.
Speaker 4: It wasn't un fun.
Speaker 3: It just didn't feel one hundred percent authentic, you know. But I think once you get to a certain age, you stop considering what you are supposed to look like and then you just start being what you are. And and then that was right around the time that I discovered like TikTok and instant and shit.
Speaker 4: Oh, so this is a recent kind of well, the discovery of being authentic isn't recent, but the introduction to that part of myself to the world public is recent.
Speaker 3: Yes, because that was like, like, I don't know what I've been on TikTok, like for not even four years, I don't even know something.
Speaker 1: It feels in modern times, it feels very recent.
Speaker 4: It feels very and relatively speaking, in my career, it has been recent.
Speaker 3: And in the first comments were like, wait, hold up, is this barefoot Eric Breney?
Speaker 4: Did he just say nigga?
Speaker 1: What you know?
Speaker 3: So it's it was a lot of that, but yeah, it was a relief to be able to of course it is, and it always is when you feel like what any situation you're in, if you feel like you're not being completely authentic, when you finally are, it feels so good. And then to have people affirm that.
Speaker 4: Like, where the fuck was this dude?
Speaker 1: We like him?
Speaker 4: We like him, like y'all like me this whole time?
Speaker 1: You mean you like me the whole time. So I've been right here, I go right, I've been right here.
Speaker 4: Trying to be mister smooth, suave, and shit, it's not really.
Speaker 1: Mean, does it, does it?
Speaker 4: Ever?
Speaker 1: Like if you look like old.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I look at old, old photo shoots and I was like, oh man, look at me. I'm trying to do what they call it today, the looks maxing right there. I'm trying to do the blue steel in that picture.
Speaker 1: You know, it worked for some You got you on some of the sexiest man lists.
Speaker 4: We got the rent paid for a little while.
Speaker 1: It got it got, it got the ladies going. It got the ladies going. And you were you know, you were a singer. You probably served you in some type of way. Yeah, who were you before that? Though? Like who were you?
Speaker 4: The nerd? The nerd like in school and like I was the reading science fiction, sketching comic book stuff, doing.
Speaker 1: Art, singing, listen.
Speaker 4: Singing, Yeah, singing, But singing to me was such a what did I want to say?
Speaker 3: Singing to me was such a reflex like like like like like a visceral thing, like like something I didn't even have to think about, So I didn't even think about It's interesting, I don't know how to put it.
Speaker 4: I didn't even think about singing something that.
Speaker 3: I did as an interest as much as it was like just who you are?
Speaker 4: Just what it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was like just like you got two years it's like, oh shit, Yeah, singing is just.
Speaker 4: Part of me your whole life. Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 3: Because my I'm the youngest in this group of super musical siblings and uh, father and mom just loved music and had their own distinctive music collections.
Speaker 4: And all my siblings sang. We sang in harmony, we played instruments.
Speaker 3: We that's what That's what home life was for me, to the point where I thought everybody's family was like this, you know, just like on Sunday everybody ate dinner.
Speaker 4: I thought everybody like harmonized and shit, and it was like and then I remember.
Speaker 3: Being surprised in school when it's music time how many people had no sense of pitch?
Speaker 1: Well do you like?
Speaker 3: Yeah, like seven, you know when the kids around you, Yeah, why why are you two whole steps above the key of the song, Like like are you deaf? And so I'm thinking this kid is maybe this kid is deaf.
Speaker 1: So it's wrong.
Speaker 3: Yeah, something's wrong with you because it was so like anyway, but yeah, music has just been been me.
Speaker 1: It's just who you are.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It took a minute for me to realize, oh, maybe I could do a career this, But again, it was weird because to me, it was just like walking.
Speaker 1: It's like, what am I going to do? Make pay me for this?
Speaker 3: People would pay me to just like sing and shit. And it wasn't until puberty when I realized.
Speaker 1: Girls like this, Oh my god.
Speaker 3: And then, like I said, I was just like little nerdy dude who was always doing something that the rest of the guys weren't doing. So and then when I was like, nobody really knew I could sing, and I never really volunteered for any solos or thing until it was like seventh grade and I was like, fuck it, let me enter this talent show and I sang like Lionel Richie's.
Speaker 4: Truly who I brought the house down?
Speaker 1: Is there a video of that anywhere?
Speaker 3: I hope so. But you know, we were lucky to have electricity back then.
Speaker 1: Yea video. You don't have a video of it. But I remember there.
Speaker 4: Was this girl, Vicky Stanton.
Speaker 1: Where is she?
Speaker 4: I have no fucking clue, but I remember back before I sang truly, Vicky did not. I was.
Speaker 3: I was just like, oh that's Eric. He's like a little weird, little nerd guy. And I'd be like I didn't even know how to talk to Vicky when I sang truly. The next day, Vicky was at my locker with her eyes a Google eyed, and I was like, got her. I think I got some shit right here, right.
Speaker 1: So I'm always surprised how many people, how many men have launched a.
Speaker 3: Career yeah based on Yeah, women that testosterone to run your brain.
Speaker 1: There's so many of you that I've interviewed, and I'm thinking, oh, it must because you know their parent of this.
Speaker 4: There was a girl.
Speaker 1: It was a girl, And I got so many girls.
Speaker 5: I thought, this's going to be my life right right right, So funny, but especially at that time when you're at that twelve thirteen years old, when you're so nerdy and insecure and you don't know how to talk to people, and then you discover this almost like superpower you have and it's like, oh shit, I will.
Speaker 3: Wield this sword with responsibility. So it was that kind of vibe. It was like, Oh, this is some powerful shit I got.
Speaker 1: So what were you doing with that powerful shit? At the age of past forward ten years to eighteen twenty.
Speaker 3: At eighteen twenty and again, as much as the whole Vicky Stanton story and the wielding the power of the voice and all that shit.
Speaker 4: I never really.
Speaker 3: Put two feet down, two feet down and said my career is going to be music, because, you know, for a bunch of reasons. I think it was part of that ingrained black mom and dad who were like, you've got to go to college and okay, music, yeah, yeah, yeah, but you got to have a solid degree.
Speaker 1: And even your parents, I'm surprised, yes, music lovers.
Speaker 4: Well, my father, mainly my dad.
Speaker 3: He was like this frustrated, cultured dude who became a policeman and a detective out of necessity in Milwaukee. But he was really cultured and he wanted more for us. And oddly enough, I told my dad, like, right before I graduated high school, I was like, Dad, I think I want to be a fashion design because I still wasn't thinking music equals career, and he was like, fashion designer, a black man was a fashion like my dad didn't have a whole lot of vision. He should have came to New York and learned about black men in fashion design. But so basically I spent a year or a year and a half in college and then around nineteen, my cousin George called me and told me that there was a band, a relatively successful band in Milwaukee, nobody who had any national fame or anything, but they were they were always doing performing at the hot clubs and they had radio spots.
Speaker 4: So it's like in the name of the band was Girard, and every every weekend you'd hear commercials about, you know, after the drag speed way in this park, and also there will be Gerard performing, and like, wow, Gerard.
Speaker 3: One day and my cousin told me Gerard was looking for a new lead singer, sister, and I joined your Yard.
Speaker 4: And then I was like, all right, I'll see what the singing shit does. And then it was like.
Speaker 1: No turning back after no turning.
Speaker 3: Back after that, because then I got a chance. That was my college because for the next.
Speaker 4: Couple of years I was in Gerard.
Speaker 3: But but the cool thing about being in a corny band is you get to learn how to work an audience, especially drunk audiences in the Midwest.
Speaker 1: You don't know who really, probably don't really know who you a.
Speaker 4: They don't want to hear me sing. They want to hear the other girl with the tits sing, and it's like, oh, the black dude what is he gonna sing? So I got to like win them over? I got a break up fights.
Speaker 1: Did you have a go to song that you would win them over?
Speaker 4: Well? Whatever was hot? What you know at any given time this we were doing Gerard.
Speaker 3: Every two to three months, we would learn four more top forty songs, whether it was my prerogative or or some Madonna song.
Speaker 4: Yo, I'm telling you it was. It was the I was I kill that shit? You do?
Speaker 1: I kill that Bobby.
Speaker 4: Brown ship back then. So so whatever was the hottest at the moment, I'd be like, it's my prerogative. I'd be trying to do the Bobby Brown dance, mose and ship and there was a rap after that. It was like yeah, So, I mean that was my college. That was learning how to hone my And the other thing about Gerard was when you have to learn those songs every couple of months, it's like a mechanic taking apart of an engine putting it back together. I learned hit how to construct a hit song?
Speaker 1: Oh smart.
Speaker 3: So it was like, you know, we got to go in the studio, we got to listen to all the harmonies. We got to be like, okay, figure out the bass and the chords and the boom and the breach around and it's a it's a formula a hit song. It's like it's like three or four formulas, but variations of those formulas work.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a good bar for life because sometimes people, especially nowadays, people who try to rush to the end goal or they try to get it fast. Yeah, and sometimes fast you missed. You missed the work that it takes for you to be great. So you're gonna be fast food. You're gonna be quick fast. You're not gonna have the nourishment you saying some shit right now, No, the nourishment that you get from having that experience.
Speaker 3: And I really think a lot of today's artists, to the risk of sounding like an old man, it's like they skip all those steps. They go from in their bedroom to doing something on TikTok and face the camera which is awesome, to maybe a viral moment and boom, throw you on stage, and it's like, you know, but you gotta you gotta do a couple of years of learning what it means to actually be physical on stage and how that how you maintain your voice, because that's there's so many I should open the school up.
Speaker 1: You should like a master class. I should do a master class. You have a great social media following up, you can send them all that way.
Speaker 4: So damn good idea, You're welcome. I feel like this is a back to the future moment here, you.
Speaker 1: Do it.
Speaker 4: But no, because there's so many facets to this business that a lot of artists tend to skip.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 4: And uh, we didn't. We didn't. And the and another cool thing about Gerard was they owned a recording studio. I know, I got it. Every time I hear I see the name written, I hear it as they said it on the radio this weekend, Gerard. But well, oh so they.
Speaker 1: The Spanish radio station.
Speaker 4: Sounds like, but it got that Spanish told O, my god, those gee guys him Gerou. But they owned a studio.
Speaker 3: And in the late eighties and early nineties that was not a common thing. You know, everybody got a studio in their laptop now, but Girard had like a.
Speaker 4: Thirty two track studio. Imagine that. Wow.
Speaker 3: And so when we weren't gigging, my cousin and my sister we were like, yo, can we use the studio and just write some shit? And my cousin George and my sister Lisa. We would go into the studio and we would I would write songs, they would write songs. We'd write songs together, and then we eventually got the deal with E and I Capitol as benet.
Speaker 4: It was me and my sisters as a group.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're how old?
Speaker 4: What was that like, twenty two, twenty something like that. Yeah, trying to figure shit out.
Speaker 1: It's good time though. Hey guys, today's show is brought to you by our presenting sponsor, hard Rock Bet. Being rebellious doesn't mean quitting your job and moving to an island. Sometimes being rebellious just means taking a few minutes to do exactly whatever it is you want to do. And that's where hard Rock Bet comes in. Where you're inner rebel plays if you're in New Jersey or Michigan. The hard Rock Bet casino f has thousands of your favorite games from the casino floor, like slots, blackjack, roulette, whatever you like. And here's what I really appreciate from hard Rock Bet. There's no nonsense. When you sign up. What you see is what you get. If you don't win in your first twenty four hours, After signing up, you get up to one thousand dollars back and casino bonus to play again. Plus you get five hundred bonus spins for cash eruption with winnings paid in cash. Now, Florida, listen up. Hard Rock Bet isn't forgetting about you guys. If you like slots, they have something for you too. Check out games powered by Pass Motor Racing. It's not a social casino. These are real money games that are thrilling, fun and exciting, and you can play with as little as twenty cents or you can try your luck at a bigger win all the way up to a million bucks. The best part again, there's no gimmicks. If you're a new customer in Florida, sign up and deposit ten dollars to get a one hundred dollars game bonus instantly. That's some extra fuel for your spins. So if you're ready to take some time for yourself today, download the hard Rock Bet app and make your first deposit. That's the hard Rock Bet casino where your inner rebel plays. It's when you say you don't want to sound like the old guy. Did you just have a birthday? You're about to have a birthday.
Speaker 3: I'm going to have a birthday in October and big, I'm going to be a damn it's even crazy to say sixty sixty?
Speaker 4: What the fuck?
Speaker 1: That sounds crazy. You don't look anything close to sixty.
Speaker 4: Thank you for that.
Speaker 1: So what is it? What does it feel like? What did you learn in the past decade? What did the fifties?
Speaker 4: Jesus, how much time we got? An hour?
Speaker 6: Time?
Speaker 1: Give me like the brief version the headlines.
Speaker 4: You're always.
Speaker 3: Learning how to improve yourself. You know, there's like maturity is not like a a destination.
Speaker 4: It's like a constant journey.
Speaker 3: You are always a work in process until it's done, and it ain't done until it's done. And one of the things that keep me feeling this uncharacteristically youthful sixty is I always I feel like I'm always trying to expand and try new things and do new things. And I think that keeps I mean, I think that keeps my brain more active, and it definitely keeps your body more in shape. And if you're conscious about what you put into that body, mainly like water. And I cut a lot of things out over the years, and I've tried to pick up more healthy practices.
Speaker 4: Then you can be sixty.
Speaker 3: As it looks for me today, where I feel active, I feel like I'm ready to take on two or three new more challenges, and I feel like by the time I hit sixty five, I'm probably going to have two or three more endeavors I ain't even thought of yet. And it doesn't feel like slowing down. At twenty years old, forty felt like, oh it's a wrap. Yeah, my life is over at forty Shit, fucking forget it.
Speaker 1: That is true the feeling. But the reality of our time on this earth is that we are past the halfway mark. That's likely we leave to one ten or one twenty. Does that not freak you out? Or did that ever freak you out? Aging in that way when you think about how our time is limited?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think if I really?
Speaker 1: But is that a morbid depressing question to ask?
Speaker 3: It's not a morbid depressing question, but it's like it's like anything else. It's like if you think about the if you're in a challenging situation and life has its challenges, if you're in a challenging situation, and if you're always thinking about the worst possible outcome. Then you're going to affect everything that you're going to benefit from that challenging situation any all the ways you're going to grow, all the ways that you're going to be uplifted. And it's the same thing if you're always thinking about, damn, I'm sixty statistically speaking, I got eighteen years more left.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: If I think about that, that's just gonna fu limit and fuck up whatever time I have left. So I think that's the way to look at it.
Speaker 4: So you say, fuck that, Yeah, fuck the end, because shit, I might be one of them fools that be like one hundred and ten years old. My name every Ben.
Speaker 1: Back in the nineteen hundreds, in nineteen.
Speaker 4: Ninety one, we had cell phones, not these digital chips, and I had you know.
Speaker 1: That's absolutely happening, by the way, it is absolutely happening. How have you throughout the years and through other ups and downs and the public things and the whatever, how have you maintained not letting outside become who you are inside? I feel I ask you about the lessons, and it not the details.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, I'll say so, the lessons.
Speaker 1: The headlines, Oh, that's.
Speaker 4: A chapter to it.
Speaker 3: When I write, when I write my book, I think that's going to headline. It's going to be the name of the chapter.
Speaker 1: WHA.
Speaker 4: And I ain't giving you no credit Why I.
Speaker 1: Gave you that? And I give you about your masterclass. I gave you to Jewels today headlines.
Speaker 3: I think one of the things about going through life's challenges is it really helps galvanize, like how you are not a responsive to negative energy, you know. I think when if there's negative energy coming at you, and if there is, uh, I shouldn't say negative energy, I should say h less than positive views of you for things that you you've taken accountability for and you've done, and you've tried, you've tried to improve yourself and your psyche and your mental from things that you've realized that you've done. First of all, you can't expect the world or anybody else to immediately forgive you, and then you have to forget or forget because.
Speaker 4: Then they'll try to define you by mistakes. And then you can't you can't allow what they are thinking of you affect how you feel about you, because there's the internal journey that you're on. Nobody body else knows but you.
Speaker 3: So I think going through that process, it actually makes you a better person and kind of facilitates growth faster, I think, or at least that's the way I feel about life.
Speaker 1: Did you ever get lost in that though? Did it ever define you? Like I think?
Speaker 4: In so many ways? If you look at my comments to.
Speaker 3: A lot of people, I feel like going through the biggest fuck up I felt. Yeah, for a while, I felt defined by it until I started to redefine what it was to to take accountability. Because accountability isn't just saying I fucked up I did this. Accountability is saying I fucked up.
Speaker 4: I did this. Let me try not to think of the reasons.
Speaker 3: Or the something that could be misinterpreted by other people or even myself as excuses. But let me just try to take full accountability for the mistakes that I made, regardless of the reasons why I did them, and then let me try to learn from those mistakes. You know what I mean, I do. But until I get to that, until that process is finished, yeah, it's there's a lot of beating yourself up and feeling like I'm less than I'm.
Speaker 1: Worried in the storm of that. How old are you, Jesus? Were you in like your twenties. No, you in thirties forties.
Speaker 4: Oh I wasn't it. I was like in thirties, thirties, Okay, it's like like early thirties. Like like I'm just saying, was it early thirties? Probably, But a young.
Speaker 1: Man, a young successful man who was an artist, was in his thirties, who was involved in any kind of cheating, scandal or whatever you call whatever the thing is. It's not the craziest or most uncommon thing. It's not like it's not like you robbed the bank or you did you did you violated you know, or it was violent or it was nothing like that. I mean, you had.
Speaker 4: Some things are often always.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying it's it's a it was a lot to put on you for just a time in your life where some maybe human error, maybe not error, maybe that had to happen for you to get to wherever you are now or to get into another marriage that you probably did better and got, you know, and healed yourself. And I don't know. I'm just saying, do you feel like a lot was put on you for the crime? No?
Speaker 4: Dead, like seriously, Like there's a way I answer that question. And it's like if I answered okay, so I.
Speaker 1: Don't want to get you back in trouble or something that's.
Speaker 4: Yeah no, no, no no no. At the time, like I said, I felt, I felt like all of the.
Speaker 3: What's the word, I'm looking for admonishment, I'm receiving my actions.
Speaker 4: I felt like I.
Speaker 3: Deserve them, really, and in retrospect, looking back, I'm feeling like, wow, that was a lot. But if that hadn't happened, I probably wouldn't have been able to evolve to where I'm at today, and I don't know if I would be.
Speaker 4: The personality that.
Speaker 3: I feel inside and that is reflected when people see me online. So it's like, you know, just no poetic way of saying, there is no excellence without difficulty. There's no growth without struggle and fucking up and falling on your face sometimes people in front of the whole fucking world, which I don't I don't really think anybody will ever understand what that's like. I mean, you've lived a very public life and sometimes.
Speaker 1: Something but not that. That's why I'm curious about it, because even in the smaller scale that I have experienced things where maybe people didn't like something I said or something was misunderstood. Even in those moments, I have to get quiet and make sure that I'm okay with myself, yeah, so that I don't fall victim to other people's understanding of whatever the thing is right even in my small situations. And I've been pretty good in my career, you know God, because of God. But I'm just saying at that level, I just wonder, man, he got to be rocked through.
Speaker 3: That, because in that moment, you felt like if you misunderstood and you communicated in inappropriately like then it would bring another rush of I think you're saying.
Speaker 1: No. I think in that moment, if I wasn't strong in my own spirit, in my own thoughts, I could start believing or start acting differently, trying to either prove something to somebody or okay or self doubt sets it all that, all the shit, all the stuff that comes from outside opinions. And I say I share this kind of stuff because I think even on people's in people's real life at the job, everybody in the job thinks you're something. I think that thing we're talking about you had it on a very big scale.
Speaker 4: A cataclysmic scale, yes.
Speaker 1: But that might feel like that to somebody else who maybe everybody at the job knows true. How about the guy who was how about the guy who was at the Coldplay concert with the girl from the job. Did you see that?
Speaker 4: Did you imagine like you had? No, you went from zero to one hundred and twenty. Yeah, you had your own little private bubble of life and then woosh.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying that guy or even that girl, everybody's attention on you sometimes, I don't know, just gets in your own way, And I think I think people have to navigate that on their own levels or whatever levels, And I just think somebody who had to deal with it in such a grand way, like understanding how you manage that is interesting to me, like more so than the details of all of the things, but that you navigated that and learned from us.
Speaker 4: So life is it's like.
Speaker 3: Whatever whatever is thrown your way, it's like you have two opportunity, No, you really have three opportunities.
Speaker 4: There's always drugs. How's that bad?
Speaker 1: Okay? Wait did you you didn't? You didn't go that route?
Speaker 4: No, what was the route?
Speaker 1: What was the route for healing for you?
Speaker 3: Accountability time, trying to trying to make amends as much as I possibly possibly could, but with yourself, with myself, with her, with my family, uh, with with everybody who and friends, everybody who was around me who I felt like I just let down, and with myself, and and.
Speaker 4: Then going through that process, then there's time.
Speaker 3: You know, then there's then there's just quite And remember at the time, it was like I was a single dad to my daughter, and then it was like, okay. It was that situation where I gotta, you know, hey, you fucked up. Let's get it together, because look who's waking up every morning and smiling and laughing and looking for breakfast.
Speaker 4: So whenever I'm in her face, I can't be like.
Speaker 1: Oh damn, I fuck my life up.
Speaker 4: Ship, I gotta be. I still gotta be happy daddy.
Speaker 3: And so that was an incredible not just catalysts, but the whole nucleus of get your ship together. Nigga, Yes you fell down, so what blah blah, get up, get up, get up?
Speaker 4: You fucked up. You know, look at look at that face.
Speaker 1: So you know, that's not a very easy thing for And I don't want to just put this on men, because I do know a lot of women who struggle with this also, but apologize. Accountability and apologizing it's not always easy for people. Was that easy for you before or in life or did you have to learn how to do that? But you were forced to so I think, well, you had a lot of siblings, so sometimes that helps.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got I got a lot of siblings. I'm the baby of those siblings, so that may have had something to do with me fucking up in the first place.
Speaker 1: Is that attention just like that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And I think apologizing for me when I know I'm wrong, I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't think think. I don't think that was my struggle. I think like acting like everything was cool when it wasn't.
Speaker 3: I have historically been good with that until the carhouse comes falling down and then I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, holy fuck, I'm not okay.
Speaker 4: I'm not okay, and I fucked up. And then once that happens, apologies is very natural. Accountability is the next, like I said, other than drugs and alcohol, you have to face reality. And yeah, the reality is like you built this.
Speaker 1: What's on the other side of that, like, what's the next phase.
Speaker 3: What's on the other side is a bit more fearlessness for doing good stuff.
Speaker 1: You know, never a fear of like I don't know, slipping back into old habits or old.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, But you know.
Speaker 3: What it did was before all that happened, I think I had a fear of failure. It's almost like it was an inoculation to a fear of failure, you know, because I was just it was a readiness to try new things and a confidence to meet people.
Speaker 4: I met my wife.
Speaker 1: How old when you imit your wife? Thirties? Thirties? Right?
Speaker 4: Well, no, and by that time I was I think I was forty maybe maybe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so a new evolution of.
Speaker 4: A new had kids.
Speaker 3: We have Luna and Lucia who are fourteen and eleven now, and they are brilliant. And India is just a brilliant woman now. And yeah, so I think there's always strength after you do the work, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that must have been that must have been really joyful for you to find love after being going through all of that, going through publicly being down, having to get up, raising your daughter, and then actually finding love and being healed. It's beautiful, you know what I'm saying. Because it's probably a different experience because if you go into a marriage or relationship unhealed from the beginning, it can't feel as good as going into a relationship healed.
Speaker 3: Very true, and one of the most incredible things about this time around is so with my oldest daughter India, I didn't have a partner. I have my family helping me out.
Speaker 4: Now I have a partner who is you know who?
Speaker 3: These two little incredible humans are the most important things in her life as well.
Speaker 1: So you have to share that lived experience. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's wonderful and you know it's it's just it's a joyous experience.
Speaker 1: Are you a good husband?
Speaker 7: I try to be come on, you know, if you are in that Yeah, yeah, And I think.
Speaker 3: I think there's especially in this business. I think when when you are traveling as much as you are, when you are away from you want to be there for everything and you're not, and sometimes your kids don't understand. And she, my wife, Manuela, is incredible. She's one of those like attentive to every detailed person and I'm kind of like the opposite. So I think being a good husband is you know, a big part of that too. And you know, I think I can always do better when it comes.
Speaker 4: To that, But overall, overall, I think I think so, Yeah, I think so. I'm gonna I'm gonna I'm gonna say in an emphatic yes, what have you.
Speaker 1: Learned about that? Like? What is the lesson? Like? What have you learned? Like what did it take to be a good husband?
Speaker 3: Probably uh, going through the challenges of not being a good person, right, And I think.
Speaker 4: That's always the case. It's like, who is that talking to? I was talking to a buddy.
Speaker 1: Of mine about mm hmmm.
Speaker 3: I remember a buddy of mine and said he was introducing me to his friend and he said, hey, his friend was about to get married. And my buddy said, hey, let me introduce you to my buddy, Eric Beney, like, ask him all the questions you know about marriage and this.
Speaker 4: That and the other.
Speaker 3: And this was before, this was shortly after, shortly after my.
Speaker 4: First marriage ended in and he wanted you to give him advice exactly.
Speaker 3: And his friend, after his friend looked at him and said, hey, no offense, but I mean I just heard about what happened, and it's like, bro, I.
Speaker 4: Don't know if I want advice from you.
Speaker 3: And my friend looked at him and he said, do if you're on a motorcycle and you're riding a mall hall and drive. Who better to ask for advice on how to maneuver that shit then the motherfucker who just ran off the edge.
Speaker 4: So I I think there's a bit of it.
Speaker 1: In that spirit. And I've heard your respond to this before, but that spirit can you laugh at or someone appreciates the never go Eric bin aline or is that a I mean, if you're saying the same thing, Eric, it's kind of the same thing you're saying.
Speaker 3: What's funny about that is there was this perception and there was even some reporting that you were upset about it, not just upset but apoplectic like like like screaming about it.
Speaker 1: And oh I didn't see that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the other thing.
Speaker 3: Sometimes we see shit like I see ship, and if I see it, I think everybody sees it.
Speaker 4: It was just a good So.
Speaker 1: Yeah you spasing you you you hate j Z?
Speaker 4: Like I was like, yo, jay Z mention me, So did you really are.
Speaker 1: You that far removed from that guy that you're Yes, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was like, I mean me and my team we got together, it was like this shit crazy. So yeah, there was no like animosity about that that ship. That ship was quite funny.
Speaker 3: And then I thought I was being cute with a response on back then Twitter and it kind of backfired.
Speaker 1: Who was the response, I don't remember.
Speaker 4: It was something something that was funny, some funny that I thought, Oh, like I thought.
Speaker 1: I was living my life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like you said something I thought was funny.
Speaker 3: And it was like I was looking at the comments. I was like, oh, I should have shut the fuck up.
Speaker 1: But you weren't somewhere sitting somewhere angry.
Speaker 4: I was in It was funny. I was in Cuba. Oh wow, I was in Cuba and there were these articles talking about how I was so angry and I was so Spanish. No, no, like you were looking at back home. Yeah, like how Eric Benee is definitely upset about what happened, and we were like chilling in Havana with cigars and ship, having a good time, laughing about the whole thing. And it's just funny how the media will take something and sure, yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, none of those things, those ups and downs and those moments have stopped you from kind of just continuing to I don't know, just the channel and you have to, yeah, you have to.
Speaker 4: It's like, yeah, that's part of it.
Speaker 3: Man, you just gotta like because whatever is happening, there's like a perception of what actually happened, and ninety times out of one hundred, the reality is something completely different. So you can't react to people reacting to something that they think is.
Speaker 1: Yea, they get it.
Speaker 4: You feel me.
Speaker 1: But now you're in this space where you've created a whole social media personality that you have that we didn't know that you had internally, but you never showed us on the outside. So everybody thinks there's like a.
Speaker 3: New Yeah, they thinks a new Your dasked Alison. Alison is the one right over there who gave me my first record deal. She signed me to Warner brother The whole time when I got that deal that she gave it.
Speaker 1: To, all the ups and downs we're talking about, she was riding right there Passenger Sea.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's known that.
Speaker 3: I'm basically I'll run into somebody like Fuzzy and you'll be like, yo, Eric, this is the same nigga.
Speaker 4: This is Eric finally.
Speaker 1: So that's funny. Was it surprise to you how people have responded to you on socials? Surprising?
Speaker 3: I would say it wasn't surprising as it was It just felt affirming, you know, I felt like, wow, yeah, I guess this is this has been me the whole time. It feels really good for people to just like me, you know, without me trying to like put on some kind of blue steel face.
Speaker 4: Is that a weird reference blue steal?
Speaker 1: No, it's no, you know, in the age of.
Speaker 5: Years, okay, because now I read the shirt reference reference than that.
Speaker 3: I'm at the age now where I feel if I make a lot of my references, I'll be like, does anybody understand Remember remember when you were always the youngest person in the room, and now that ship don't happen no more, And you'll just make a reference in the whole room.
Speaker 4: It's like, what is he talking about? I've been blue steel Zoolander for those Yeah, go google it, Yeah, go.
Speaker 1: Go board chat it. So what are you gonna do with this? Like newfound kind of I don't know.
Speaker 4: Rock, a new single? Yeah, well there's that some music going.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Last year we had a music project that did really well, you know, on Allison and my label jb R.
Speaker 4: We had two number one singles. Yes, excuse me, I'm b from la uh.
Speaker 1: We have We're going to get a sponsorship now they with Eric.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we had incredible female artists on this project, like artists who.
Speaker 4: Were like fourteen right, and that ship was crazy. I don't know how we pull that ship's a lot.
Speaker 1: Because can you name them all quickly?
Speaker 4: Uh? If I do, I'll miss somebody.
Speaker 3: But we're talking about let us see, were talking about Jordan Sparks, were talking about Chante Moore, Tamar Brax and Kareem Bailey Ray Uh were talking about India India?
Speaker 4: Are we we're talking about?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Pipes?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: Well who else? Ari Lennox? Come on, Eric, fuck see you know see I'm gonna forget right.
Speaker 1: Fine, don't go through the whole list, but a lot of women.
Speaker 3: But two number one singles a project that we're really proud of at JBR.
Speaker 1: And who's thinking, whose brain baby is this? Let's go get all the women woman over here? Oh got it?
Speaker 4: Who is like? Because I uh.
Speaker 1: You started your career as sexiest man, one of the essence sexiest man's alive, you might as well return to.
Speaker 4: Your roots, return to your roots. Well, I'm always returning to music.
Speaker 3: And we had a new record label, so it was time and I hadn't had something new out in eight years, and I decided to Allison, was like, Nigga, you need to get your ass back in the studio into an album, but we need to make it special. Let's look at some of your biggest successes have been duets, so let's make a whole you know, spend my Life and Georgia Porge and so we did a whole album that way, and I'm extremely proud of it. Now we have a new single for a solo project to that. I need to get back to La and put some finishing energy on, a lot of finishing energy on and.
Speaker 4: No features, just you, no features so far. And it's.
Speaker 3: The first single I feel really good about because it's really an extension of a lot of my political animus on social media, like telling people, yo, let's we're stronger together, please stop being silent, like please speak out against the division, the subjugation, the trying to rewrite history and erase our rights. You know, we gotta fight against that. So the single Who's going to Save Us is all about that.
Speaker 1: It's good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you. Got in the studio with my man DJ Camper Felly, the voice, incredible songwriters and producers, and we came up with this joint.
Speaker 1: I love that. Who is going to save us?
Speaker 4: We are?
Speaker 1: We are only we can't, Kelly, how do we do it? What's the first thing?
Speaker 3: Well, we've done it multiple times in history. And the crazy part about it is how the powers that be they keep using the same fucking formula and it keeps working. The divide and conquer. Let's know, let's get them to fight against each other and then we can rob them and we can take away even more of their rights.
Speaker 4: So then they'll start fighting even more and we'll get.
Speaker 3: Even richer, and now we can be trillionaires and they'll think we're superpowers.
Speaker 4: And you know, so I.
Speaker 1: Even see it with like what they're doing. I don't know. Sometimes I see people going at each other and I wonder where the roots of this And a lot of times when you track some of that, I wonder if that's even real. Like I feel like there's just so many bots in AI systems that are literally set up to your point to divide and conquer.
Speaker 4: You're one hundred percent right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so scary and it's so wild to watch how people play right into it so easy.
Speaker 3: What's especially frustrating to me is two things are going to be needed, which it seems lately we haven't been tapping into the realization that how powerful we are as individuals and to be at least marginally educated. That doesn't have to mean you had you gotta you know, have a PhD or even graduate from college. But you've got to read.
Speaker 4: You gotta read.
Speaker 3: History, the history that they're trying to erase. You have to fill your brain with knowledge, and it's it's it's disappointing sometimes.
Speaker 4: Oh man, I'm gonna again. I'm going to sound like the old crudgeon, old man right now.
Speaker 1: It's all right, you got good skin, you can get away with it. But I don't know if you're experiencing this, tell me.
Speaker 3: But sometimes if you talk to nineteen twenty twenty one year old, it's like there's certain sometimes and unfortunately for me, it's more than not. You know, I work with a lot of young people in the music industry, and like basic general knowledge stuff, it's like they're clueless.
Speaker 1: About They don't even teach kids how to write and script. That's bruh, Yeah, they don't even teach that. And it's it's sometimes like I have younger family members or somebody young and I'm like, should I write this in script or should I? Are they going to be able to read this?
Speaker 4: Because is this three syllables?
Speaker 1: I mean, that's just a simple little thing, let alone the important things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, scary and that that's we're going to need those two things.
Speaker 3: If we are going to save ourselves. You got to empower your brain and empower yourself. And there's so many other things attached to that, like taking care of your body.
Speaker 1: But yeah, what does the Eric Brene a self care regiment look like? Because you would have to take care of yourself to be as.
Speaker 6: Immersed especially in this is political climate and all that and everything that's happening in the world.
Speaker 1: Because you immerse yourself. Some of us do a dance as much as we can and just try to balance a normal life. Understand, you don't your blinders are never on, you know. Some of I put blinders on sometimes not for long period, just long enough to have my sanity. Then I'll go back and pay attention and do my work and research and you know, but I do sometimes have to find ways to put blinders on.
Speaker 6: But there are people like even the people who do ground like my friend to make a mallory or people who are.
Speaker 1: Never without blinders. I think, oh, that's that's hard, Like you have to.
Speaker 6: Find a way to who And I feel like you probably have your own ways exercise or whatever, ways to put blinders on, even for a little bit of time, but you seem like you're in it pretty much.
Speaker 1: All the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Some of my friends are like, dude, why are you watching news so much? It's just bringing you down? And it does, but it does bring me down, but it also it just kind of like it makes me vocal. It makes me vocal. You've got to be aware of this stuff. It's like it's like I'm forever. I think it'll be one hundred, two hundred years from now, and if there's if we are still alive as a civilization, they will be studying as to how was it possible that somebody who has so repeatedly failed in their life, and has had such a void of any moral compass or character, or ethics, or care or concern for history or anything other than his own self ingrandizement, how did he become president? And it's like.
Speaker 3: The formula, the formula, the I don't know, distract, the distract, divide, and we got and and I think that again.
Speaker 4: I'll say it again.
Speaker 3: The only effective anecdote for that is education and self empowerment.
Speaker 1: What about self care for you? Like, so, what do you do? How do you take cas? How do you keep your mind?
Speaker 4: Gotta drink your water and I cut out alcohol.
Speaker 1: Really none zero.
Speaker 3: I would say once every couple of months, I'll have a glass of wine. You gotta cut out as much sugar as you possibly can.
Speaker 4: Look if it's if I'm down South and it's some peach cobbler right there, and I know I haven't had dessert in like a month, I'm a fuck that peach cobbler up right. But I mean, for the most part, I think I have to.
Speaker 3: Really monitor and manage sugar intake processed foods. I try to maintain a relatively pescatarian diet. Sardines are good, blueberries, yeah, try to cut out dairy. I work out four times a week, and we.
Speaker 1: Kind of work out, not heavy weights, like weight training or.
Speaker 3: A lot of calisenic stuff, some weight stuff, you know, I'll try. I'll try to do like one hundred push ups a night, and then I'll do my workout in the morning.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: So this doesn't just happen at sixty, right, this is time you look at six. This is just not this is not genetics, not for me, not for you.
Speaker 4: You work hard to yeah, yeah, because I mean it's just a matter of your your natural bodily functions that if you don't do it, then your muscles will year by year, you'll lose.
Speaker 3: More and more percentage of your muscles and your bone density if you're not counteracting it with diet and exercise and grounding, grounding, stay connected.
Speaker 4: To the earth.
Speaker 1: How do you do that?
Speaker 4: Take your shoes off and just you still barefoot? Eric Beney, See, I told you some truth to that shit. There is true. I might say a couple of squear words if I stub my toe, but I mean, yeah, no, but I mean there's undeniable scientific evidence that if you have skin to skin contact with the soil, the earth, the sand, it lowers the inflammation in your body and it promotes a general well being.
Speaker 1: And where do you do Where do you go out at home? I guess right in the backyard.
Speaker 3: Are you having your coffee in the morning, take your well I get in la. You can do it year round. I take my shoes off and I drink my coffee outside in the backyard barefoot foot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's so funny. I started golfing a few years ago and I went to golf maybe a year ago with someone and he was barefoot the whole time. And I was kind of like making fun of him.
Speaker 4: And did he tell you why?
Speaker 1: He just said, there's only some places that use, only a few places in the world that you can do it, so he chose to do it. We were I think we were in the Bahamas and he was golfing barefoot, and we were just joking. We were like teasing. It was, you know, funny, but I really thought I could try that. There might be something to that.
Speaker 4: You should.
Speaker 1: Now you're making me really want to ship there really is.
Speaker 4: There really is, like peer reviewed scientific evidence to back it up.
Speaker 1: All right, sold, we have some features that we have to do with you while you're here.
Speaker 4: Eric, Oh, what I gotta do?
Speaker 1: I gotta dance, Yes, you gotta dance. You're gonna sing? Mmmm. Okay, that's good.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed that. I enjoyed that. That was fun. Hey guys, you ever sign up for a phone plan thinking wow, what a great price? And then a few months later, it's like, surprise is hire. We hate that. With boost Mobile, you pay twenty five dollars a month forever. That's unlimited talk, text, and data starting at just twenty five dollars a month. There's no price hikes, there's no contract, and this is forever. Plus. Boost Mobile is now a legit nationwide five G network. They invested billions building five G towers across the country. So what you need to do is visit boostmobile dot com or head to your local Boosts store today and get unlimited talk, text and data for twenty five dollars a month forever. Five G speeds is not available in all areas. After thirty gigabytes, customers may experience lower speeds. Customers will pay twenty five dollars a month as long as they remain active on the boost Unlimited plan.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: This is a voice not our voicenote segment.
Speaker 4: Who do we have Eddie here?
Speaker 2: I'm a girl, dad, My thirteen year old girl just started dating. I'm already having nine minions about it. But I've been having this thought specifically about her bringing home a man, him cheating on her, and then having it with that situation like her wanting to take him back as something. What do you think I should say in that situation? What do you think I should do if my baby girl brings home a man who cheats on her and then wants to stay with him?
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: That's a very specific question.
Speaker 4: That is very very specific, And there's a couple issues about the question. You're thirteen year old daughter.
Speaker 1: She shouldn't be dating at all.
Speaker 4: She should hell fuck no, what did.
Speaker 1: They start to date? I don't think he said she was. I think he said he has a fear of that this would happen. Okay, then good.
Speaker 4: Here's the question.
Speaker 3: You ain't got shit to worry about till she's sixteen and then what and then if she brings home a guy who cheats.
Speaker 1: On her, yeah, or is a bad guy.
Speaker 4: Then you have until.
Speaker 3: One to she's sixteen years old to be the representation of the kind of guy you want her to bring home. And one or two bad ones might slip through, because that is definitely not a fail safe plan there and when that happens, you have until one until sixteen years old to have the kind of relationship with your daughter where she's going to come to you and talk to you about what she's going through. You are not going to be able to control a sixteen year old daughter.
Speaker 4: She's going to have.
Speaker 3: First of all, she's female, so she's going to have all kinds of ways to make you think she's doing what you asked her to do, but she ain't really going to be doing it. So you, as much as you would like to be the absolute control of that situation.
Speaker 4: He's not going to be. So he's got time to arm her with love.
Speaker 1: Do you have that relationship with your kids?
Speaker 4: I'd imagine yeah, And I'm trying to.
Speaker 3: You know, we've got a couple more years to go with Lucia. I've got four or five more years with Luna, and I'm trying to every day have a better relationship in that regard with my daughter's most important, most important people in my life.
Speaker 1: You're oldest, is how old?
Speaker 4: Are thirty four?
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's in a she's in a beautiful relationship. And yeah, thank god, Yeah I'm not I'm not worried about her. But you know, all right, Okay, this is fun.
Speaker 1: I feel like you're a good dad. Are you a good dad?
Speaker 4: Again? Like? I think so? But I'm trying. I don't want to say because if I tell you, yes, I'm a good dad, it's like I could. I feel like I could do better. How I think, Well, when I look at my wife and how incredibly attentive and like she is with them in every aspect of their life feeling, and I'm like, how do you keep track of all of that stuff?
Speaker 3: And then I'm trying to keep the income coming into the situation, and it's like, so I I feel like I'm a good dad who's always trying to find ways to be a better dad.
Speaker 1: It's probably taught you a lot right about life and woo.
Speaker 4: Shondo.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like it's a poetic justice from God. It's like all daughters for you, bro. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But they also say they give you the kids. They say, God gives you the kids that you need, Yeah, to become the verb, to become who you're supposed to be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love that. You know what I'm saying, It's true. Agree with that.
Speaker 1: I feel like that too my kids. Yeah, they get you there because because you're trying to be the best version of you, it's not trying to be so they're forcing you to be a better version of yourself simply by just existing.
Speaker 4: And simply by them being existing. By them existing, Yeah, you are having to underscore lessons that you've learned and things like as you're teaching them things you're like, yeah, I think I needed to hear that too.
Speaker 1: Has anybody ever given you good parenting advice?
Speaker 3: The best parenting advice is try to share as share as much of your life with your children as age appropriately as you can during their journey of growing up, so that it's very natural for them. Once they get to that sixteen, it'll be like, I guess what happened? You know, I won't feel like such a weird thing for them.
Speaker 1: Do you do that with your kids? Do do?
Speaker 4: I tried?
Speaker 1: You tried to?
Speaker 4: Ye?
Speaker 1: I agree? I agree? Good good, good good advice. Childhood. Okay, we're going to those some I r L questions. We have an IRL bowl. Let me just go through this real quick. You okay, over there. I think you were wonderful today.
Speaker 4: You think so?
Speaker 1: Do not feel like that? Tell me? Tell me now, I'll give.
Speaker 4: You a different like what I feel like I was? I think so I wasn't an asshole enough?
Speaker 1: Why would you be an asshole? Are you an asshole? Sometimes? I don't think what would make you like, what would happen in your day that would make hm? It's funny because when I ask people questions, I go through this thing in my mind where I want to can I answer that? So I was going to ask you what were you really? Sometimes yes, especially if it's like a question like that that I just think on the spot. It's almost like I try to be like, is that a fair question to ask? Could you answer that in your own fair questions? So if I say to you, what would make you be an asshole in your day? Then I'm saying to myself what would make me? And I was I was a little bit of an asshole yesterday?
Speaker 4: I think what would make me? And I first, why were you an asshole yesterday?
Speaker 1: I was really overwhelmed with life yesterday, just personal shit, work, ship, it too much on my plate. Hadn't had five minutes to just do don't.
Speaker 4: Make anybody an asshole? And that was gonna be my answer.
Speaker 1: Well, that was what it was. It still shouldn't be an asshole because it's not anybody else's fault.
Speaker 4: Asshole maybe is an extreme word an individual of low patients.
Speaker 1: Extreme?
Speaker 4: Yeah, extremely, That's about.
Speaker 3: As close as I'll get to an asshole if it's like I've just there have been a couple letdowns in the day. Something didn't go the right way. I didn't eat, I forgot to do some ship, which I'm always forgetting to do.
Speaker 4: Shit.
Speaker 1: What level of assholary are we talking about? Though?
Speaker 4: Probably like can we can? Can we wrap it up? Because I gotta go.
Speaker 1: That's fad. Yeah, that's not I mean, that's not the worst.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's not like I definitely ucked this ship. Man, I'm out of here. It's not like what did Trump do? He just like all you gotta do to Trump is like ask him an actual question and he's that's a rude question. That's just a that's why you're a despicable person. That's an asshole.
Speaker 1: Well, he's an asshole from the gate out the gate.
Speaker 4: He's not like a long from a long line of assholes, a line.
Speaker 1: Of assholes In all this commentary you've been making, Have you heard from anyone? Have you Have you gotten any of those weird calls?
Speaker 4: I didn't get weird calls, but I did get a call from Stevie wonder, Oh can you share? I can only share because he said I could.
Speaker 1: Okay, have you shared this before. No, I'm so excited. First of all, Stevie Wonder, see, one of our greatest nash.
Speaker 4: Natural Trust is the most I mean, I don't even got to say shit, he's the most beautiful, talented, iconic. You know, you don't got it, but.
Speaker 1: You him national treasure.
Speaker 3: And here's the other thing that I've discovered in my career. People like that, people who.
Speaker 4: Just seem as though their talent exceeds human and expectation. Stevie Wonder, Quincy Jones, Prince. When you meet these people, in my experience, they always seem to be the most attentive and they make you feel like when they're talking to you, you're the only person in the world, and it's.
Speaker 1: Just like, really, okay, well I want to know how you think of but you know, well, tell me about this.
Speaker 2: You know what is that?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What is that that they do? Why do you think they do that?
Speaker 4: I think it's just they are so successful because in any given moment, they are so present And it's not just that I think it's love. I think they have so much. You can't be a conduit for that much.
Speaker 3: Creativity and power if there's just not a whole lot of love in your being. Now you may have your own personal challenges challenges, but it's all packaged in love and trying to become a better person.
Speaker 1: God wouldn't give you a gift that strong, exactly if there was no love in there. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So Stevie, I've been blessed in my life to say that he is somebody who I can call and talk to. I still pinch myself with that realization. But he's just a being of love. He called me, well, actually, my wife told me Stevie's going to call you about four o'clock. Like, oh shit, what I do?
Speaker 1: Wait, has Stevie have you ever gotten that call from No?
Speaker 4: I've never gotten this call from Stevie.
Speaker 1: H No, just like if you've done something that's like call you with the cell.
Speaker 4: No, but there's something about tone.
Speaker 1: Okay, now you know your wife's stone. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So actually I was supposed to call him.
Speaker 3: So I called him, and basically where he was coming from was he seeing some of the posts.
Speaker 4: And his sentiment was like, Eric, look my young brother.
Speaker 2: I know that.
Speaker 3: We're all angry and disheartened, but I fear that he was basically saying, you coming on a little hard and I'm worried about how crazy some of these motherfuckers are out there, not his words mine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you're paraphrasing.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He was like, those who are on the side of that negativity, they are crazy motherfuckers, and why don't you put and put all of that anger into music. So he was coming to me as like the older uncle brother, like I don't want you to get out there and somebody do some stupid shit to you because it's something you said. And then and then, and then two days later, I went into the studio and wrote die Pedal.
Speaker 1: So where is that song?
Speaker 3: Where that is a song I never officially released, but I was just in the studio one day, angry and thinking about what Stevie said, put it in music. Huh, all right, I'm gonna write die Pedal and maybe I'll throw it on the album.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I know they might very very well for you already very well maybe them, But I mean I was I was so grateful for the call, and I think I really, I really took it to heart. And I won't say that it made me change what I say, but maybe I think about how I say it sometime.
Speaker 1: That makes sense because when you think of Stevie, you know, he's the loves in need of love today.
Speaker 4: He's but not only that, so many generations of this same movement he's seen and he's seen some of the soldiers get taken out.
Speaker 1: Not that.
Speaker 3: Please, I'm not saying I'm a soldier and I don't think he would. Well, I guess in some ways I am, and he wasn't. I don't know, maybe he was. But I'm grateful for the conversation.
Speaker 1: Did shift anything in you or no? Because you haven't really slowed up that much slowed up. But I.
Speaker 3: That thought is conscious in my head every time, like I be like, okay, curb your rage.
Speaker 4: Curb your rage.
Speaker 3: So I'll be thinking about oh so long, I'll be thinking about Stevie.
Speaker 4: Now that's really going to post.
Speaker 1: So Stevie he's a bucket list guest for me on the pod.
Speaker 3: He is a beautiful, godlike soul because he's all about I care for you, I care for this world.
Speaker 4: I want we. He is the message of who's going to save us.
Speaker 3: It's like we all need to collectively join our positive energy if we're ever going to overcome the negative forces of this world. And his message is do it without the rage, but do it from a place of love.
Speaker 1: That's Steedie beautiful.
Speaker 4: But shit, I got too much James Baldwin ever you.
Speaker 1: Though you're more Malcolm than I think so than Martin.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'd be like, fuck them motherfuckers.
Speaker 1: Man, have you ever made a call like that to put somebody onto something or to like do you ever make those calls? Because I'm sure there's people that look to you. You'd owe g to some of these singers SRV.
Speaker 4: I try to encourage I tried to encourage people to.
Speaker 3: Just speak, because what I'm hearing often is people will come up to me and they will just say, man, I so appreciate what you're doing when and my response is like, thank you, thank you, Please, I invite.
Speaker 4: You to voice join me, join me. Yeah and yeah. I laughed when you asked me the question because I thought about the time I met Dick Gregory, Oh, which did not go well.
Speaker 1: Why what happened?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 1: Where was give it to me? Tell me that Dick Gregory story was I was in.
Speaker 3: DC and it was Obama's inauguration and I just wanted to be there for this historic event. And then after the inauguration, there's all kinds of little pockets of things happening.
Speaker 4: And I was at some place I don't remember where I was, but somebody said, hey, Dick Gregory's back there, and there's about thirty people back there, and I was like, oh shit, excuse me, I want to I want to go meet Dick Gregory. And when I walked back, I quietly like stood at the back of the room and he was commanding the people, as Dick Gregory does, and he was just saying how he was talking about his his his his regimen of health. And he was basically saying, I don't I don't eat ship this. I drink water because because food is toxic, I don't eat. I don't eat nothing. I don't never eat and and people are like wow, and and and when there was a break have you ever met Dick Gregor? No?
Speaker 6: Never.
Speaker 4: And when there was a break in the conversation, I was like, oh, miss mister Gregor, I just want to say it's so nice to meet you. But I mean there must be something that you eat. Big mistake, big mistake. It was like a pause.
Speaker 8: He looked at me, this nigga trying to tell me what I said. I was like, oh my god, nigga, I said, I don't eat these young niggas. Don't listen to niggas.
Speaker 4: Oh he caught you young though, he called you I look pretty young. I guess when was Obama? No, that was Jesus, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: So I'll just do a number out of it. So wow, I was like, And that's how it ended. He didn't laugh and say it's there was no laugh.
Speaker 4: That's that's Dick Gregor.
Speaker 1: Oh, yes, no laughing. Yeah, I said, I don't eat ship, nigga. So how does that end? You can't good meeting?
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 6: That ended?
Speaker 4: Do you ever see the the meme of Homer and the and the bush, the back to the bushes?
Speaker 6: That was it?
Speaker 1: Back to the bushes?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I think I actually said, I just like faded into it.
Speaker 1: It's really funny.
Speaker 4: It wasn't at the time.
Speaker 1: No, I bet, I really, I bet it wasn't. All right.
Speaker 4: I r L bowl, Oh ship, I r L bowl.
Speaker 1: There was a bowl.
Speaker 4: What does it habit that you were proud of? What is it habit that you are trying to breathe.
Speaker 1: In real life?
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, give it to me.
Speaker 3: So the habit that I am most proud of is when I when I make the decision, when I made the decision to take care of my health, I can be pretty. I can stick to that pretty with you know, consistency in varying degrees about five years ago. You know some things It's taken me the last couple of years to like just lock into like a workout, a cutout, alcohol, I eat.
Speaker 1: Right, what's a habit inspiring to me? Because that means I could go do that today?
Speaker 4: You absolutely can't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's inspiring. I do take care of myself in certain ways, but I could do a lot of things a lot better. So you made me feel like from now to five years from now, I could really make a significant.
Speaker 4: That makes such Okay, you don't got to you don't gotta put this on camera. But do you drink? I do? Yeah, So I know it's difficult because.
Speaker 3: Like a couple of years, like maybe three years ago, I would have to have like two shots of Scotch.
Speaker 1: No, No, I'm not a drinker like that. I drink. I enjoy a cocktail. That means I have one or two atten maybe twice a week. Yeah, see once or twice a week, sometimes one sometimes twice a week. I'm never gonna have three or four anything like that, or shots I would want to do, but there's always sugar, you know. It's it's alcohol and the sugar together.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not good.
Speaker 1: I enjoy.
Speaker 4: But I'm not telling nobody what to do. I'm just telling you what works.
Speaker 1: From You just were telling me, give me the thing. You were just dropping the jewels on me. I gotta st me that tell me what I need to do.
Speaker 7: Some five years when I turned sixty, I so you look incredible, well, thank you. With with alcohol, even two drinks a week, you it will make your skin start to age sooner than you should be.
Speaker 3: But if you stop, you could reverse it. Alcohol attacks every system within your body, you know, from how your your brain synapses, to your digestion, to how your to your rim sleep, to your heart, to your how youthful you look, to your energy level everything. Like if you cut out like if it is a neurotoxin, if you cut out alcohol, you will find.
Speaker 4: Like once you stop that habit, you will notice like in a month it's like, wow, I slept solid through the night. You know, in a month I did, and it's like wow, I you know I have more energy so anyway, that's my speka.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna take it all right. So doesn't mean no fun no, no, no, well you need fun to have alcohol, no substances. No, I just just no, I can have fun. I meant no other fun substances. No, there's no there's no micro dosing or there's no weed or there's no nothing.
Speaker 4: No, I don't smoke.
Speaker 1: So clean, completely clean and clean eating.
Speaker 4: Yeah m hmm yeah, and you you will your body will thank you.
Speaker 1: For Itkay, we're going to say we're gonna try it.
Speaker 4: Okay, what's a try.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna give it a month and.
Speaker 4: See you wait, shake my hand on that.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna give it a month. I'm gonna do it. It's been again with you, okay, fine, it's been on my spirit anyway. So the fact that you're telling me that right now, I'm gonna try.
Speaker 2: It not to.
Speaker 1: Here this pokesman millboard. So okay, I'm gonna try it done.
Speaker 4: What's a habit here?
Speaker 3: Trying to break as consistent I am, and and regiment that I can be with the hell stuff. I can be kind of an airhead with scheduling, you know, making sure that they probably back there laughing at me doing side eyes my people, because it's like Eric is the worst.
Speaker 4: Eric is supposed to be on this fucking zoom. Where are you?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: That's right? You know so I'm a bit of a mess.
Speaker 1: You're trying to be better there, I'm trying to be better.
Speaker 4: I'm a bit of a mess.
Speaker 1: All right. I'm gonna run through a couple before we let you go.
Speaker 4: So if he wasn't drinking, you wouldn't be coughing.
Speaker 1: You think that's what it was. It was the mamosa that I have right right, I had a mamosa this morning. See terrible, that's terrible. I think I'm okay, we're about to wrap anyway. Let me just do this quick. In real life, in real life, when of you are your happiest?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 4: In real life? I am at my happiest when I'm with my kids playing a game, or watching them laugh or making them crack up laughing or something like that.
Speaker 1: Well, in real life, when was the last time you cried? Could be sadness, could be gratitude, could be joy?
Speaker 4: The last time I cried? A week and a week ago, my daughter Luna graduated from sixth grade and she gave a speech, and it wrecked me. What do you mean, it just it just wrecked me. I'll see if I if I even talk about it, I might start.
Speaker 1: Talked about how.
Speaker 4: How much, how afraid she was. She remembers being how afraid she was the first time she came to that school, and the confidence that it instilled in her. And then she got to Mama and daddy. Oh my god, you're gonna make me emotional. She said that, you know, as I said, uh, Manuela is just an incredibly attentive and supportive in every detail she has. And she thanked her mother for just holding her life together.
Speaker 3: And then she thanked me for every because I dropped them off to school in the morning. She said, Daddy, every day you tell me that you love me, and you tell me that my light never never uh dim the light that's shining so bright.
Speaker 4: I was. I was done. I was done. I was trying to I was trying to hold it together.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 4: It was Yeah, it was. It was like, that was the last time I cried.
Speaker 1: That's a good cry. That's a good cry. Yeah, we already did self care. Real what's your real life guilty pleasure?
Speaker 4: M M, my real life guilty pleasure is probably watching uh Karen's getting caught by the police on social media. I would watch I watched that ship forever.
Speaker 3: I love when the police just catch people like doing wrong ship and then they got an attitude. I'd be like, I'll look up and it'll be like, damn, am I gonna watching this ship for an hour and a half?
Speaker 1: When do you find such content? Where is this anywhere? It knows you?
Speaker 4: It'll be like, oh, this nigga watched like twelve at these yesterday. I'm gonna send them thirty. And I just love watching Karen's get handcuffs put on them.
Speaker 1: It's the best. It's really funny. What is your superpower your real life superpower?
Speaker 4: My superpower is that creatively, I think I can fucking do anything.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like I I've never taken a music lesson.
Speaker 3: I wrote a short story that turned into a TV show. I'm writing a book right now. I just finished the manuscript.
Speaker 4: It's a mid grade fantasy adventure. Oh yeah, and yeah, then you'll.
Speaker 1: Do then you'll do a memoir at some point. What do we title it? Lessons and the headlines or the lessons behind the headlines?
Speaker 4: We took I was good yeah, way it rolled off so easy. Yeah, that lessons and the headlines, I.
Speaker 1: Think something like that. I'm gonna rewind the tape back and said it to you.
Speaker 4: Yeah maybe maybe at some point a memoir.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you wouldn't do it. I want to.
Speaker 4: I want to accomplish a little bit more ship.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's left on the bucket list for you?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: I want to write a series of novels. I'm working on launching another like film company with a friend. I want to get that off the ground. Good uh ship by next week, It'll probably be two more things.
Speaker 1: You're just gonna keep going, right. How often do you think about your legacy?
Speaker 4: Never? No, I don't think about it because because I mean to think about the legacy means to start thinking about, all right, it's all done. How will they remember me? It's like I don't think about that ship? You know, I got too much shit?
Speaker 1: Du Yeah, but do you think about I don't know what you want people to learn from you?
Speaker 4: Orf? Like even I think about that? Yeah, I think about that. I hope I hope that the good, bad, and indifferent is.
Speaker 3: Not only like teaching me lessons, but I hope I'm I'm I'm inadvertently teaching other people lessons too.
Speaker 1: And what are you most proud of? We talked about all the ups and downs. I don't mean, I don't mean just like are well I guess you said your kids.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it sounds like such a cliche answer, but everything else pales in comparison when I see what they can do, and I see like like like India, Lucia and Luna, they are just so talented, like they can they kind of have that me thing where it's like, Okay, I think I think I'm going to start doing aerial dancing, or I think I'm gonna I think I'm going to try out for this play and then they get the lead or excuse.
Speaker 1: You created a world for them where they could think that way.
Speaker 4: Yeah it's beautiful, absolutely.
Speaker 1: But about you, that's really what the question was. What are you most proud of about yourself?
Speaker 3: That I'm always willing to learn and grow and I'm always willing to admit when I'm wrong.
Speaker 4: I guess, And I smell good.
Speaker 1: Good, I smell good naturally, and I look good.
Speaker 4: Remember that, James Brown.
Speaker 1: My last questions in the Bolts, my favorite question in the I R L Bowl, You got a text right now, Yeah, and it was from God.
Speaker 4: God. God would have text you right God a black God?
Speaker 1: You're God?
Speaker 4: Okay? Hey Shondo? All right? Is that?
Speaker 6: What is that?
Speaker 1: What you call him?
Speaker 4: Okay, let's call him Shondo.
Speaker 1: If God would have text you right now, what would it say?
Speaker 2: WHOA?
Speaker 4: Never got that question before? Angie? Where'd you get that?
Speaker 1: I don't know. We came up with it, and I don't know early in the pod. It just came up. I think it. It just says a lot about what you truly care about, you know, like what's truly really important to you today? If the text came today, like what would it say?
Speaker 4: I would think that God would tell me.
Speaker 1: To shit muslump, dude, think about it. You don't have to rush it. I was just thinking, in true fashion of me making sure I can answer a question. I think my text today would probably it would be to the effect that something about my text today would be like you did great because you trusted me. Mmm, so just keep doing that.
Speaker 3: I think my idea of God is like somebody who a being who is is loving and encouraging, as opposed to like First Testament type shit.
Speaker 1: H you're not a religious guy.
Speaker 4: No spiritual No, absolutely, I do believe in God. I believe in the power of love and positivity, and I think negativity is a very powerful evil force. I think that God would say something to me like I love you, but he would probably say something that I would understand, like I love you, but even more, and I would know exactly what he meant.
Speaker 1: What does that mean?
Speaker 3: That means like all the positive all the positivity I'm trying to uh grow from and speak on, Like, do it even more? Like all of the projects that you're working on that you think can help or uplift put more into it. You know, all of the energy that you spend with your children where you're nurturing them and and and teaching them to respect and love themselves and realize that they can do anything.
Speaker 4: Do that even more. I think it'd be something like that, do more, do more? That's so you think?
Speaker 1: So yeah you do?
Speaker 4: How so.
Speaker 1: Look at your whole life, look at your whole career. How can I be better? How can I do more? How can I do a new label? How can I do new souls?
Speaker 4: How can I do If you didn't say that I love you first, I would have been like and and just got the just do more. I've been like, damn, I'm fucking up. Yeah, but if he was like, I love you, just do a little bit more.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like you're not doing enough?
Speaker 4: Never? Life?
Speaker 1: Right it?
Speaker 4: What's up? This is Steric Benett in real life.
Speaker 1: Hey guys, thanks for watching. Make sure you subscribe, like comments, and check out all of the other episodes we have on Edge. Martinez I R O Podcast