Speaker 1: No melting mess, no ice runs. The new Dometic CFX five keeps your food chilled and your ice frozen so you can stay focused on the hunt. Just load it up, plug it in, and let it do the rest. I love using mind on hot pronghorn hunts and at early season elk camp. It really is a game changer. Head to Dometic dot com to learn more about Dometic electric coolers.
Speaker 2: It's time for Why It's the Way it Is.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 4: On Why It's the Way it Is, we're going to talk about the difference between an antler and a horn. Now, this is a little bit confusing because a lot of people don't use the words in the right way.
Speaker 3: Including me.
Speaker 4: I change it up all the time because I might say I found a deer horn, or that deer had big horns, or did you see the horns on.
Speaker 3: The deer that clay got.
Speaker 4: Well that's wrong because deer don't have horns technically, actually, deer have antlers.
Speaker 3: So what really is an antler?
Speaker 4: The way to think about an antler is it's like a bony material, kind of like the bones in your body. It's a bony material that grows out of a deer's head, and when I say deer, I mean members of the deer family. Members of the deer family include caribou, moose, mule deer, white tail deer. All members of the deer family have antlers. One of the most interesting thing about antlers is that, again it's a bony material and they fall off every year, meaning a deer. Every year a male deer grows a new set of antlers and it falls off. So if a male deer is born, he'll grow his first set of antlers the next year. So when he's a year and a half old, he'll grow a set of antlers, and then he'll grow a new set every year after that, and generally their antlers get bigger every time they grow them. If you hear someone say they found a deer shed, what they're talking about is they were out in the woods and they found one of these antlers that shed or fell off. So if you can think of an antler as a bone like material that grows outside of a deer's head, you can think of a horn as and this is going to sound really weird, you could think of a horn kind of like a fingernail that grows outside of an animal's head. There are many horned animals in Africa Okay, will debest and Pallas kate buffalo. Those are horned animals. Here in the United States, we have big horn sheep that's an horned animal. Mountain goats that's a horned animal. American prong horn or antalope have horns, and also domestic cows. So if you look in a farmer's pasture and he has cows or cattle, those are horns. The reason I say you can think of them like a fingernail is because horns are made of keratin, and keratin is the same material that is in your fingernails.
Speaker 3: A horn.
Speaker 4: And there's one exception to this I una explained, but this is just generally how it goes. An animal grows a horn, and it keeps its horn its whole life, and as it grows and gets older, the horn just.
Speaker 3: Grows and gets bigger. It never falls off. Okay.
Speaker 4: When I said there's an exception to this, it's the animal called the American prong horn or an antelope.
Speaker 3: And here's where it's weird.
Speaker 4: All horned animals have a bone core on their skull, Okay, and their horn grows over that bone core and they don't drop off.
Speaker 3: But with an American prong horn was crazy.
Speaker 4: Is the outer part of his horn, the part that fits over the bone core, does fall.
Speaker 3: Off every year.
Speaker 4: But it's the only horned animal in the world that sheds its horn. And it's almost like he does it just to make it so we can't have good rules because he has to be like an exception to the rule.
Speaker 3: And let me tell you another way.
Speaker 4: Pronghorns are kind of a weird exception with horned animals. Most animal horns just come to a point on the end. Okay, it might be a rounded point, it might be a sharp point, but they come to a single point on the end. The reason a pronghorn has his name is his main horn has a little prong on it, so they actually have a horn that can have two points. It's like a two pointed horn. It's the only horn that looks like that. So again, to wrap up, antlers grow on members of the deer family. They're bone like and they fall off every year and then the animal grows a new Horns, with the exception of the American prong horn, are fingernail like or made of keratin, and the animal keeps.
Speaker 3: His horns for his whole life, and they do not fall off.
Speaker 5: Why don't oysters donate to charity because they're shellfish.
Speaker 2: It's time for guests that critter where we play animal sounds and critter calls, and you've got to guess what creatures making those sounds. Don't worry, it ain't too hard. We're gonna throw in some clues.
Speaker 3: Now, open up years.
Speaker 6: These critters are short bodied but big. They can weigh over two pounds and measure close to eight inches in length. They're quite voracious, meaning they have big appetites and eat a lot. They consume insects, rodents, fish, invertebrates, small birds, amphibians and more. Really, they'll eat whatever they can get that'll fit in their mouth. These are distress calls. You may not hear this sound too often, but know that these critters are capable of open mouth screaming. More typically, you'll hear sounds like this. There's a rhythmic quality to the sound, which occurs with the circulation of air. These critters move air from their lungs to the vocal sacs in their throat, which act as resonance chambers that push air back into their lungs. Males make this low frequency, baritone bellowing sound. Have a listen. It almost sounds like a cow mooing, doesn't it. The males sing to attract females and to stake out their territory. You can hear them in spring and summer during the mating season. Here's a chorus of males by a freshwater marsh congregated in the area to breed. These semi aquatic critters live in and near marshes, rivers, ponds, streams, and creeks. They prefer warmer, shallow, and still sources of water. They also spend time on land and are very skilled jumpers, propelled by their long muscular legs. The throat of the male is yellow, while the throat of the female is white. Males also have an noticeably larger thumb than do females, and on average, the body size of the female is much larger than that of the male. Now try to guess that critter. Okay, it's time for the reveal. It's a bullfrog. Bullfrogs are North America's largest frog. Their croaking song sounds like a cow mooing, which is why they're called bullfrogs. Bullfrogs are harvested as a game species in many states, and are also commercially farmed because their legs make a tasty dish. They are native to eastern North America and are so well adapted that they've become an invasive species in much of western North America. Bullfrog farming has contributed to the spread, as has the use of their tadpoles as bait for fishing.
Speaker 7: What do you call a hog that loves karate? A pork chop?
Speaker 2: It's time for everyone's favorite game show, Trivia. Let's all join in.
Speaker 8: I'm joined by Mabel, Matthew, Rosie, Hayden, Conley, Sage, Hattie, and Bay. Each player will earn ten dollars for conservation with every question they get right today. There's a potential for this room to earn up to two hundred and forty dollars this week. That donation is going to the Land Access Initiative, which provides more access to public lands for hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, swimming, and whatever else you like doing outdoors. Let's see how much money our players can raise. Question one, Which of these animals would a mammalogist study? Is it a whale? An owl or a lizard. Which of these animals would a mammalogist study Whale, owl or lizard? Rosie's watching Bay's answer, Rosie, do you agree with? Okay, you got the same answer.
Speaker 2: Was asking me what the answer was?
Speaker 7: I need know?
Speaker 9: I was watching.
Speaker 5: I'm scared, Okay, trying to cheat because I feel confident.
Speaker 3: I'm just trying to be cheating.
Speaker 8: Rosie is confident.
Speaker 3: How about you?
Speaker 8: Conley? You're confident? Yeah you are?
Speaker 7: Okay, I'm not. I'm not.
Speaker 8: Is everybody ready?
Speaker 2: Ye?
Speaker 8: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Bay, Whale, Rosie.
Speaker 10: Mabel, Owl, Hattie Whi, Hayden will Sage, Conley, Matthew the correct answer?
Speaker 2: It's wal.
Speaker 8: Well answer, Oh I thought it's angry.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 8: A mammalogist is a scientist who studies what that's right, such as wales. Owls are birds, which are studied by ornithologists, and lizards are reptiles, which you're studied by herpetologists. Can you name some other animals that a mammalogist would study?
Speaker 3: What do you got?
Speaker 2: Zeal?
Speaker 8: Seal, that's right, Wris wallris doggies dogs. You guys know your mammals.
Speaker 9: Octaviors are you trying to sneak that one in there? Study Question two? What percentage of the Earth is covered in water? Is it twenty one percent, forty six percent, or seventy one percent?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 8: Our players, easy, very yea.
Speaker 2: Very easy.
Speaker 8: Okay, wote a negative on all of our players. Think this is an easy one. What percent of the Earth is covered in water? Twenty one percent, forty six percent, or seventy one percent? Is everybody ready?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 8: Yeah, go ahead and reveal your answers.
Speaker 5: We have Bay seventy one, Rosy seventy one, Mabel seventy one, Hattie seventy.
Speaker 7: One, Hayden seventy one.
Speaker 8: Sage seventy one, Conley.
Speaker 5: Seventy one, Matthew seventy one.
Speaker 3: The correct answer is twenty one percent.
Speaker 8: No, I'm kidding, it's seventy one percent. Guys, got it over to your computer. In fact, that was too easy. Ninety seven point five percent of the Earth's water is salt water, and of that little bit of fresh water, sixty nine percent of it is frozen and thirty percent of is underground. That means just one percent of the Earth's fresh water is on the surface in the form of lakes, rivers, and swamps. So maybe don't leave the sink running at home, Hey, leave the sink running anymore. Don't don't brush your cheese. Don't have the single white brush.
Speaker 5: Matt, you don't brush your cheese.
Speaker 8: You cannot be talking. Question three. This man who was America's third president has a river and forrest named after him?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 8: Benjamin Franklin, Ronald Reagan or Thomas Jefferson. I think I heard someone saying answer, but maybe they weren't right. This man who was America's third president has a river in forest named after him Ben Franklin, Ronald Reagan or Thomas Jefferson.
Speaker 7: I think I spelt it wrong.
Speaker 5: I did too, I didn't.
Speaker 7: I think I.
Speaker 8: Spelt it right.
Speaker 3: It's everybody ready?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Was this an easy round?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Go ahead and reveal your answers.
Speaker 5: Baye Thomas Jefferson, Rosie Thomas Jefferson, Mabel Thomas Jefferson, Hattie Thomas Jefferson, Hayden Jefferson, Sage Thomas Jefferson, Conley Jefferson, Matthew Jefferson.
Speaker 8: The correct answer is Thomas Jefferson. Everybody got it right. Ronald Reagan was America's fortieth president and ben Franklin was never a president. Thomas Jefferson was president from eighteen oh one to eighteen oh nine. The river named after him is right here in Montana, and the national forest named after him is in Virginia, West Virginia and Kentucky. Now, if you guys could have something named after you, what would it be? Maybe a mountain, a sandwich, a fishing lure, how about a dance move Hoffman Peak, Hoffman Peak, that's something that exists. Or No, you want there to be a hoffice. I want there to be.
Speaker 5: Okay, Matthew's planet.
Speaker 8: Matthew's planet.
Speaker 5: It's bigger than the.
Speaker 8: Sun, bigger than the sun. That's ambitious. You're gonna have to do some cool stuff in the next fifty years to get a planet any of that.
Speaker 7: I was named after the valley and Yellowstone Hayden.
Speaker 8: Oh, that's the opposite thing. You're supposed to have something named after you, not be named after something. All right, that's it for today's round of trivia. Fill the engineer. How much money did we raise? They raised two hundred and thirty dollars, two hundred and thirty dollars going to the Land Access Initiative. Well done, kids, join us next time for more Meat Eater Kids Trivia, the only other game show where conservation always wins.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening everyone, See you next week on Meat Eater Kids.