Speaker 1: Hi all, we have some exciting news to share. EBC News Studios has turned Ashley's story from Betrayal Season two into a docu series. You will get to meet the people involved, you will hear from people who have never spoken before, and you get to see where the story took place. We are so proud and excited to share it with you all. You can start streaming it on Hulu on July thirtieth.
Speaker 2: Stacy has pulled herself out of a complete nightmare. I can't even imagine finding this out. If it would have been my son, my husband wouldn't be here, it would have been no trial. I too appearing on myself.
Speaker 1: I'm Andrea Gunning and this is Betrayal, Season three, Episode eight, No More More Secrets. In nineteen thirty one, the citizens of Writing, Pennsylvania were upset because their courthouse, originally built in eighteen forty, was going to be demolished. It was to be replaced by a new, more modern building, a huge granite and limestone structure with tall vertical windows. The budget for the new courthouse was two million dollars, which is about forty three million in today's money. The building would be nineteen stories high. In both sixteen courtrooms. It was completed in nineteen thirty two, and nearly one hundred years later, that same Brooks Counting Courthouse stands today. This is where Justin Rutherford would face the final chapter of justice on Tuesday, February sixth, twenty twenty four. He would be called to account for criminal solicitation to commit murder in the degree it was time to pay for the plot to kill Tyler. In the vastness of the courtroom, Justin looked small. He was dwarfed by the space and by the judge looking down on him from the bench above. It was a stark contrasted Justin's last appearance in court. There were no reporters and no crowds, just rows and rows of empty benches. There were only four spectators. The prosecutor had irrefutable evidence for her case, a jail house informant had assisted law enforcement, and Justin was caught on tape explaining the best time and method to kill Tyler. It's what one might call a slam dunk. The prosecutor had been hoping to reach a plea agreement, but it appeared that Justin wanted to go to trial. Based on the letters he had sent from jail, and the absurd speeches he had given during his sentence sing. I can imagine the fantasy. He'd like a defense at need to stand up like he's in a TV show and enumerate Justin's many wonderful qualities. He's a great dad, a good provider, loved by his patients, and the judge would say, this is a misunderstood man and a doctor. No less, this is a miscarriage of justice. Maybe this time someone would get it. He wanted a trial, he wanted someone to say the words not guilty.
Speaker 3: So a few.
Speaker 1: Days before the trial, it was looking like he wasn't going to make a plead deal until he did.
Speaker 4: I still had to show up just in case at the last minute he would have threw a Hail Mary and said, no, I'm not signing this. I want a trial. The district attorney said that we would have went directly into one. So to my knowledge, all of the witnesses were there. The guy that was the informant, I think he was there.
Speaker 1: Based on the transcripts we've re enacted some of the court proceedings from the hearing.
Speaker 5: Your honor, we are here in the matter of Commonwealth of Pennsylvania versus Justin Rutherford Docket seven sixty six. We were listed for jury trial for today. However, the defendant has completed paperwork for a guilty plea.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 1: Stacy MICHAELA and a victim advocate sat behind the prosecutor's table in Courtroom five A. A familiar person sat behind Justin.
Speaker 4: It was just Nanny. She was the only one that went to the first case on his behalf to That's just kind of how she is. I mean, when it comes to him, there's really nothing that she won't do for him.
Speaker 1: Justin sat in the far corner of the courtroom as prosecutor Meg McCallum laid out the details of the case.
Speaker 5: Between October two of twenty twenty two and January sevente teenth of twenty twenty three, the defendant did solicit an inmate who was also in prison at the Burkes County Jail System, who was going to be released from prison prior to the defendant being sentenced. He asked him to kill Tyler, a male juvenile who is the victim. At Dockett three seven five to two of twenty twenty one, where the defendant did plead guilty and was sentenced for rape of a child in other related offenses. The defendant did have discussions with the inmate, describing Tyler and his family schedules and when it would be best to kill Tyler and methods to kill Tyler. The defendant provided Tyler's address and a diagram of the home where he lived with his mother and.
Speaker 3: His other siblings.
Speaker 5: The defendant indicated to the inmate that after the murder was completed, that he should flee to Europe, and that he and the defendant would meet up with each other after the defendant was released from prison after his sexual assault case was dismissed, and that the defendant would then provide the inn mate with money from a secret bank account.
Speaker 1: Tyler did not attend this hearing. He had a job and didn't want to return to Pennsylvania and give Justin the satisfaction of seeing him again. Stacy was permitted to make a victim impact statement. She spoke directly to Justin. She let him know how strong her family was and that his crimes didn't break them. He appeared unmoved and vacant. He looked right through her.
Speaker 3: Then the judge.
Speaker 1: Asked if there was anything the defendant wanted to say there would be none of the wild statements from the last hearing.
Speaker 3: This time, Justin's lawyer spoke for him.
Speaker 6: Yes, Judge, good morning. Mister Rutherford has written a lot. I'm going to try to read some verbatim and summarize some. His last sentencing kind of went off the rails a little bit, and I want to try to focus on the sentencing as much as I can.
Speaker 4: This new lawyer was a little bit more sensible considering the first case and knew that what he wrote up probably was really screwed up because Justin didn't read it.
Speaker 6: He is amongst probably the more educated defendants you'll find. He was a physician, your honor, And a lot of these are not excuses, more mitigation that I'm about to present, and not to excuse his behavior, but mister Rutherford was quite mentally ill in jail. The insanity defense is not possibility. Given the clandestine nature and some of the code and some of those things. This could have very well been a guilty but mentally ill sentence. However, with the current sentence.
Speaker 3: It's not appropriate.
Speaker 6: He was on and off medications, and he you know, did in his letter and I'll try to read it verbatim. He does accept responsibility for his actions.
Speaker 4: His lawyer had the paper in front of him, and he kind of would skim over it and be like, yeah, we're not saying that.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 1: Justin's attorney then pulled out a letter Justin had written for Stacy.
Speaker 6: I read the letter, Judge. I believe it's appropriate. It puts simply what a rocky road. I'm sorry to have put you through this stress. I've allowed myself to be a product of my environment. You know that's not the real me, the man who was never violent at home. It's no excuse. I'm just trying to do what's right and what's honest. I know I made mistakes, lots of them, but I hope you will release that grudge you hold against me. I still pray for you every night. I'll never stop, take care, wish you the best.
Speaker 1: Justin said those words again, I was never violent at home. Several months in prison had done nothing to enlighten him to the fact that rape is violence. The idea that he was praying for Stacy revealed the arrogance he still possessed.
Speaker 4: He always has something to say, He always wants to make excuses for his behavior versus taking responsibility for what he did to Tyler.
Speaker 1: But legally he had taken responsibility and that's what the prosecutor wanted. It would limit his ability to appeal or change his mind.
Speaker 5: Your Honor, the Commonwealth made this offer of five to ten years concurrent based on the length of the sentence that the defendant received at Dockett three seven five to two.
Speaker 3: Of twenty twenty one.
Speaker 5: I believe that the defendant has now taken responsibility for this. It alleviated the necessity of a trial, which we all know is often burdensome to everyone, and Miss Rutherford had indicated to me through are multiple discussions that she was okay with that, and so we are asking that Your Honor go by the agreed upon sentence to bring closure to this family. And because he's serving a sentence of twenty six years ten months at his minimum, he would not even be eligible for parole on his underlying sexual assault charges until he is close to sixty.
Speaker 1: Five to ten concurrent time, meant he would get no additional prison time.
Speaker 3: The judge didn't have to.
Speaker 1: Agree to the plea deal, and he let everyone in the courtroom know the only reason he did was because of the length of Justin's sentence for rape and voyeurism convictions. The whole process took half an hour. When it had finished, Stacy asked to meet the informant, Justin Selmate, who had come forward to report Justin's plan to kill Tyler.
Speaker 4: I just wanted to thank him for essentially saving my child's life. Had it not been for him coming forward, this would have never been possible. What his crimes were is irrelevant to me. What was relevant was that he saved my child's life.
Speaker 1: The prosecutor declined to make that introduction, but she did promise to convey Stacy's gratitude to the informant. It would have to be enough, and with that, after three years, it was all over. They were finally really done with Justin with the legal proceedings in the rear view mirror, Stacy and Tyler are holding their community close, and it might surprise you some of those closest to them today are members of Justin's family. In previous series, I've seen examples where blood relations take sides, but that has not happened here. They support Stacy and accept that it's Justin who caused all the damage. Here's Justin's and Nancy.
Speaker 8: It is extremely hard to accept that the little baby, the little boy I knew, did something like that to another little boy. I just I couldn't understand it, and I still can't understand it.
Speaker 1: Another relative, who wishes to remain anonymous, we'll call her Susan, recalls finding out what happened.
Speaker 2: I actually threw up because I'm like, what is he doing now? To mention the first thing? But I don't understand how he came to that point. You're born innocent. How in the world do you get so wired up where you want to kill somebody and playing it out? He's so arroganting. He wants to actually see me for two hours straight to explain everything.
Speaker 9: He thinks.
Speaker 2: I'm an idiot. I walk in there, He's going to look at me in ass and tell me why.
Speaker 1: I wondered if Nancy thought about seeing Justin and what you would want to see to him, I.
Speaker 8: Would ask him why. Tyler's a great kid. And I don't understand why he did that to that little boy. What was done to him was wrong. I owe to us Justin on what planet he thought that was even remotely right? And then to hook up camera. Well, what was he thinking. I know in his mind he's justifying this. I was in love, he was my boyfriend. But you and I know that is just plain ass wrong.
Speaker 1: Susan Russell's with going to see Justin in prison.
Speaker 2: He can't expect he's going to turn me on his side. I can't imagine Tyler lion all these years and then you want to kill him.
Speaker 7: Two.
Speaker 2: No, I want to see him because I want to say goodbye before something happens to him.
Speaker 1: Both women have very strong feelings about justice.
Speaker 2: Stacy has pulled herself out of a complete nightmare. I can't even imagine finding this out. If it had been my son, my husband wouldn't be here, it wouldn't have been no trial. I'd have took care of him myself.
Speaker 1: Justin's aunt, Nancy admires Stacey's restraint.
Speaker 8: Stacy's a stronger person than me. I'd attacked him, yet, when I found out what he did to my child, it would.
Speaker 4: Have been all over.
Speaker 8: I'd have probably been the one in jail.
Speaker 1: Susan loves Tyler and has been looking for signs that he's okay.
Speaker 2: Our last meeting, our last dinner, we have the kids, me and him talked and he literally he got up and gave me a hug, and I said, this is the first time I've seen you smile. So he's going to help somebody. Somebody is scared to death, is going to hear this. He's not gonna be scared anymore. And he's still think it's okay or she to go get some help.
Speaker 1: She is particularly concerned for Stacy's youngest daughter, Justin's biological child.
Speaker 2: I'm morally worried about her now in the future because that's her dad. You're going to have dad and daughter dances, You're going to have school with them bringing their dads. That's going to torment her because someone's going to always ask where's your dad? And that's going to really be harder as she gets older.
Speaker 3: But she knows Stacy is on top of all of it.
Speaker 2: I'm really proud of Stacy. She's just going to have a long road.
Speaker 1: When I visited Stacy and Tyler in West Virginia, I noticed how long it would take to travel a mile.
Speaker 3: The terrain was so different from what I normally see.
Speaker 1: My air and BnB was just a mile and a half away, yet it still took twenty five minutes to reach Stacy's home. There were winding roads and out of the way passes I had to drive through in the other direction, and I realized it was such a good metaphor for living with betrayal and the aftermath. Rebuilding is a process. It takes you in different directions. It's not linear.
Speaker 3: For Stacy and Tyler, it's.
Speaker 1: Been three years and they've made a lot of progress, but sometimes it doesn't feel like you've traveled very far at all. It's a reminder that when you're climbing a mountain of.
Speaker 3: Grief, it just takes time.
Speaker 1: What grounds you is taking stock of what's around you or in front of you. During those drives, winding up and down across the mountain range, we would drive in and out of rainstorms.
Speaker 3: I would look far out to see light.
Speaker 1: Beaming onto the vast pastures in the valley, and I thought of Stacy, Tyler and their family, the love they have, the closeness they share, their laughter and sense of humor. It's unique, beautiful and rare. It radiates like the light shine down on the valley Hope, while navigating a mountain in a storm. I knew when we wrapped up this story, that it wasn't finished. They aren't finished, but they are going to be okay. I wanted to sit down with each of them to reflect on the experience of putting their story out there.
Speaker 3: What was your main purpose for doing this?
Speaker 10: Just to help people and hopefully reach some man out there that felt like I did and felt alone and let him know he's not. Actually at the start, I mean, I was definitely a little nervous to talk about it. Yeah, I think it'll always be hard to talk about somewhat, but it also feels relieving, like you're breaking out of chains.
Speaker 1: Even Tyler's friends are seeing him differently in a good way, you.
Speaker 10: Know, the stigma around boys and how nothing serious. Like I have this one friend who when we're hanging out, he's always saying something stupid doing I'm stupid.
Speaker 3: Goofball?
Speaker 10: Yeah, there we go, goofball. He was like, you know, we joke around with each other. But listening to that was crazy because I didn't understand, like really how it was so Like I've had a few friends come to me and just really open up to me about like how appreciate it if they were that I did that.
Speaker 1: Tyler is grateful for the betrayal community.
Speaker 10: Thank you for listening. Thank everyone for listening. If they made it this far, because I hope if they made it this far, that means they liked it, you know, And I'm glad they stuck to the end because I've even had some relatives tell me it was kind of hard to listen to and they had to stop it. So yeah, I appreciate the people that wanted to hear my story out and just listen. No one can ever find out my secret because it's not a secret.
Speaker 2: Stacey.
Speaker 1: When we first started, and when you were thinking about why you would want to do this project, what were the reasons?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 3: Why did you want to do this?
Speaker 4: You know, it was really hard for me to find people to relate to, so I felt very much alone. And when I heard the first two seasons, it made me feel not so alone, and I wanted to be that for someone else. I also wanted Tyler to heal through this too. I knew that there would be a lot of healing in talking about this for our family, and there absolutely has been. I've seen such a huge change in our interaction with each other and how we've handled things, and I wanted that for someone else.
Speaker 3: I have watched you.
Speaker 1: And your family since we've started working together, and I definitely acknowledge this need and want from you to feel seen. And I think so much of your connection to Justin is this was a person it felt like he saw you. He felt very seen in that relationship, and the grieving of not having that has been really difficult for you. But the one thing that I just want you to have is I want you to be able to see yourself as an incredible person the way that I see you. I left Boston being like who wants.
Speaker 3: Already made family.
Speaker 1: I do like I want to be part of Stacy's family. So we reached out to people who wrote in and they have some messages for us. Okay, I haven't heard these, so both of us are listening to this for the first time.
Speaker 11: My name is Anna. I was driving and just kind of going through the episodes and my fiance happened to be in the car with me, and Tyler was talking about how he ended up coming for how he.
Speaker 4: Really really didn't want to do it.
Speaker 11: And then he ended up deciding to be that voice, and my fiance he made a comment like, you know, yeah, this happens a lot more than people think. Later, I couldn't get it out of my mind that comment he had made.
Speaker 3: And so we were getting ready for bed.
Speaker 11: And I asked him about it. I was like, have you ever experienced something like that? He was really really quiet, and he goes, yeah, like when I was seven an older cousin was at the house and some sexual abuse transpired. Sometimes something happens and it reminds you and it all comes rushing back. And he said that that was kind of a moment that he had after hearing Tyler tell his story. It was extremely, extremely emotional. I mean, I feel horrible that this person I love so much had to go through this, But I know he said that talking about it after all this time was like a huge burden off of him.
Speaker 1: It just made me.
Speaker 11: Grateful that he ultimately told me about it. I'm glad that I know this about him and that it's something that we can now speak about openly. You guys, sharing your story truly is life changing. Something as simple as riding in the car and just listening to it to pass the time, you never know what kind of conversations it can spark. I just commend you so much for your strength, and I cannot say thank you enough.
Speaker 1: After the break, a male listener shares how Tyler's story has helped him to confront his own past. I'm with Stacy and Tyler for our final episode of Betrayal season three, and we're hearing some feedback from listeners.
Speaker 3: Okay, so here's another one.
Speaker 9: My name is Strout and I am from the Houston, Texas area. It wasn't until I got married, started having some issues, got addicted to pornography and stuff like that. I finally went to and talked to a therapist and finally realized as a child that I was assaulted. Going back to when Tyler first opened up about what happened took me back to when I first had discovered what the root of the problem was. It's uncanny how your memory just unlocks. You hear stories, and you wonder, how can that be true? But when you hear it and then all of a sudden, you're reliving it. Wow, that happened to me. Wow, he said that exact same thing. And then my wife and I were sitting there one evening and my daughter, who was just finished for junior year of high school, comes in crying, and that's what she told us that she had been assaulted buying my father. I worshiped that man. You know the rage I had finding out that it happened to her. The anger came back. I said, I know exactly what you're going through. And she said how? And I told her what happened to me. Tyler spoke to him in court, talking about how stonefaced he was. He decided to speak on the fly without havingything written down. That's kind of how I felt when they sentenced my dad. I'm not going to speak because I'm afraid I'm gonna jump over the wall and attack them. I said, no, I need to say something. I remember saying. You may have thought you broke her. I guarantee you she's going to come back stronger than she's ever been. You've broken me more than you've broken her, But I'm not going to let you win. Tell Tyler, I'm proud of them. I know it's not easy to come forward. It takes a lot of courage to do that and stacy. From a parents' perspective, it's not your fault. You know. We can blame ourselves and ask ourselves what did we do wrong? Where did we go wrong? How could we not have known. All we can do is love each other, help each other, be there for each other. As hard as this to listen to, it helps those of us who've been through it find more ways to cope and let us know that we're not the only ones out there.
Speaker 10: So thank you, Unmoss have brought some tears of joy out or something. It's nice to hear more men talking too.
Speaker 4: Especially Tyler has always just wanted to be that for somebody, and I feel like this gives him that feeling of having a purpose and reaching people. That's been one of the most amazing things I think I've seen through this is see him realize that what happened to him was not his fault and that it does not define him or his success or his purpose. And I think it's just amazing to see that a man reached out.
Speaker 3: And there was one more.
Speaker 7: My name is Kristen and I am from Chattanooga, Tennessee. I basically almost experienced the same thing that Stacy did. My ex husband committed a crime as well to my daughter. I was two months pregnant when I found out. I really struggled with feeling like I should have known and how could I not know? But Stacy really talked about how she had no idea and there was no signs for her as well, and she talked about how well her husband was as a father. That is something I have often said, how I feel ashamed or guilty that I miss what was so great about our relationship, and I hate that I feel that way. I don't want to think about it or miss him at all, But it made me feel a whole lot better that she feels the same way as she understands. It definitely gave me some relief that I'm not bad for feeling that way. The biggest reason I wanted to reach out because I wanted to thank Stacy and Tyler for being brave enough to talk about their story. I feel like I've been hiding my story and I haven't wanted to talk to anybody about it because I feel so ashamed. But after hearing their story, I feel a whole lot better, like I actually can talk about it. Especially at night it's hard to go to sleep and be in my thoughts. But my routine now was to constantly just turn on the podcast and listen to them, and it was it felt like a form of therapy, like I could talk to somebody.
Speaker 3: Else and not feel alone.
Speaker 7: So I'm very thankful for them sharing their story. It has definitely helped me a lot.
Speaker 4: You can beat yourself up about that kind of stuff, but I choose to focus on the people out there who are going to hear our voices and who are going to be set free from things because of Tyler and the braveness of sharing your story, because it's it's not easy to put yourself out there for the world. It feels absolutely amazing to know that there's someone out there who doesn't feel so alone anymore, because I know that feeling so well.
Speaker 1: Every time I've worked with you know, when I've worked with Jen, when I've worked with Ashley, you know, just through getting to know them and their family, I've walked away with different takeaways of what I love and I adore about each individual person.
Speaker 3: And I just.
Speaker 1: Eat really great women and really unfortunate circumstances. And for you, I just want you to give yourself some grace and I want you to love.
Speaker 3: Yourself because you are so lovable.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I'm proud of all the work you're doing. That means a lot.
Speaker 1: If you're a man who has experienced sexual abuse or assault, or you know someone who is seeking support, go to one in six dot org. That's the number one I n number six dot org. Find a path to a happier, healthier future. If you would like to reach out to the Betrayal team, email us at Betrayal pod at gmail dot com. That's Betrayal Pod at gmail dot com. Also, please be sure to follow us at Glass Podcasts on Instagram for all Betrayal content, news and updates.
Speaker 3: We're grateful for your support.
Speaker 1: One way to show support is by subscribing to our show on Apple Podcasts, and don't forget to rate and review Betrayal. Five star reviews go a long way. A big thank you to all of our listeners. Betrayal is a production of Glass Podcasts, a division of Glass Entertainment Group, in partnership with iHeart Podcasts. The show is executive produced by Nancy Glass and Jennifer Fason, hosted and produced by me Andrea Gunning, written and produced by Kerrie Hartman, also produced by Ben Fetterman and Trey Morgan.
Speaker 3: Associate producers are Kristin Mercury and Caitlin Golden.
Speaker 1: Our iHeart team is Ali Perry and Jessica Krincheck. Voice acting by Trey Morgan and S. D.
Speaker 3: Miller.
Speaker 1: Special thanks to Stacy Rutherford Tyler and the rest of Stacy and Tyler's friends and family. Audio editing and mixing by Mattsavecchio. Editing support from Nico Aruka. Betrayal's theme composed by Oliver Bains. Music library provided by Mybe Music and For more podcasts from iHeart, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.