Speaker 1: Welcome into the Ravens Press Pass podcast. It is Monday, November sixth. The Ravens approved to seven and two on the season after a thirty seven to three victory over the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday. The Ravens are tied for the best record in the AFC and they currently lead the AFC North Division race. Today, we had a chance to hear from head coach John Harbaugh during his Monday afternoon press conference, and here's what he had to say.
Speaker 2: Okay, so been a good morning, working on evaluating the game in terms of what we can do better and really where we're at, and then going to work on the Browns getting ready for that huge game here on Sunday. So we're excited about it and we're just kind of getting started on this version of it. We know the Cleveland Browns have they know us, so you can't kind of start way ahead of where you might be in terms of just shared understanding of our opponent. But we've got a lot of work to do and we're looking forward to it. We can't wait for the game to happen on Sunday. So what questions you have, John Lamar.
Speaker 3: We've talked about his efficiency all year. Thick now even leaves.
Speaker 4: The envelopletion rate.
Speaker 5: Why do you think his efficiency?
Speaker 2: I mean he's always been pretty efficient, but this year.
Speaker 5: It's kind of really taking that big jump.
Speaker 2: This year, you know. I mean, I think we're getting better on offense right now. We've got a lot of work to do still. There's so many things that we can we can be more efficient at. You know, just talking to Lamar, I know he feels that way. Everybody in offense feels that way. So it's really just more of a function of where are we at, you know, where are we standing in terms of stacking our development improvement and then the ability to make sure that we keep getting better because there are just so many areas that we can continue to improve be more precise on in every area of our offense. So that's what we're working on.
Speaker 6: John.
Speaker 4: I think we saw the Keith Mitchell even going back to Ota this season.
Speaker 3: You can go out and get to the perimeter, roving the.
Speaker 4: Speed, really how impressed it wasn't running between the tackles and you know his yardage after contact.
Speaker 2: Was Yeah, that was really great. I Mean the guys were so excited for him, you know, and he's a guy that's been just working every day and he just he has a great attitude. He's definitely a very talented guy. And we all knew that. You guys knew that. You saw him in practice and in the preseason games and just finally get an opportunity at this point in time, mid season already, he finally gets a chance and it makes the most of it. So it's it's a guy that we were talking about making sure he you know, got some chances and got some touches. It was something we were all hoping would happen, and I thought Todd did a good job of making sure it did happen. And then to see him take off like that, I mean, you couldn't have predicted that. Like you said, between the tackles, breaking tackles, those kind of things, that was really great.
Speaker 4: You envisioned more, you know, came in more and more now for assuming he's healthy, getting more those reps.
Speaker 2: Sure, I mean I think we have you know, those three backs are going to be all playing a lot, you know there are now you've got three healthy backs. You know, we haven't had that a lot, so I'm sure there'll be a rotation. You know, they they work that out. Sometimes it's by by certain scheme. Sometimes it's by who's hot, sometimes it's by who's tired. You know, with running backs, it just kind of depends.
Speaker 7: One understanding is saying that Kate Mitchell's are different from your linage running. Thus it allows you guys to be more dynamic And what ways do you see him in his role of changing what.
Speaker 4: You can do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just I think it adds another dimension to it. Like, you know, the plays are the same plays. We always find ways to run the plays in different ways because you have to. Our defense gets onto you at this level. But the dimension is probably a good way to say it, because it's just a different style. You know, it's just a different guy running the play makes it different for the defense. You know, the timing of it for the defense, you know, finding where the ball's at, you know, all those things different with each back. So it's nice to have different types of backs.
Speaker 8: I think obviously we were saying Geno make the team plays, they'll continue to lead the league. And interceptions. What's the biggest difference are you saying between his play from when he stepped in last year to right now?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, it's just you know, players grow. You know, Gino is a really good player last year too. You know, he played really well last year. So you know, the ball's finding him. He's finding the ball. You know, I guess probably all of it goes together. You know, maybe the balls being pushed in his direction for some reason. You know, maybe maybe quarterbacks are taking some shots downfield to try to make something happen. Sometimes with that rush. I just think it's all complimentary, you know. But to make the plays, you got to be a playmaker, you know. And one thing that to your point, I think is a really good point, Gino has established himself as a playmaker this year, and that's really great to see.
Speaker 4: Coach. If they say you are what your record is.
Speaker 9: You've seen a lot of.
Speaker 5: The teams in the NFL this year. You're remodeling the league right now, especially in the Conference.
Speaker 9: Do you feel like the team has played at that level with some of the best the NFL.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, a million times, you know, and at times we haven't. But it's really not a measuring stick against the other teams. It's really not really at this point. It's kind of irrelevant that way, because it doesn't matter until the end. You know that what the standings are now are not important. It's what the standings are after the last regular season game that matter. So our guys really understand that, Jerry, I think you know, and that's something that we're focused on one game at a time. It really matters is how we compare to ourselves from the week before, and that's what we're working on.
Speaker 3: Does the ANFC North sort of guarantee that you never have to worry about your team sort of getting complacent? I mean, because as good as you've been, every team in the division would.
Speaker 2: Be the plays right now.
Speaker 3: Does that always sort of light the fire?
Speaker 2: I think it's really really awesome that we have such a great division, and I'd really be disappointed if we didn't. You know, it'd be just terrible if everybody was not a good team in our division. So you know, uh, that's my best answer. You know, Hey, we respect these teams. This is a great division. I mean, it's no doubt, it's the best division. It's proven. We know the teams. You know, these teams are real. You know we we when you're in this division, you got to play them twice a year. You understand them. It's not just this year. So we understand that they all understand it, you know, and everybody knows what's what's gonna happen when we all play each other.
Speaker 4: John just might found the very's the leads?
Speaker 6: Maybe a stupid question, but uh, you guys.
Speaker 9: Have not trailed for a lot for you know, very often this season is this team being deprived of anything made by leading ver As much as.
Speaker 2: Uh my mom always says get the lead, keep the lead, you know, I'm going I'm gonna stick with that. Mom's advice is always the best advice.
Speaker 7: An aspect John Simpson.
Speaker 6: You know, the rest of the starting guys on the O line have played for at least a season with each other. But he seems has seamlessly found his way. And you know, we don't talk about a whole lodge good thing I think for him, But what do you see from him and how he's been able to transition him just fit in.
Speaker 2: So well, yeah, that's that's a great point. I mean, he has John is really fit in great, and the line is cohesive and it's getting more cohesive. We got a lot of cohesive still to grow into too. I can tell you that they'll tell you that pass protection and run blocking, and they work on that so hard every day. I think Joe does a great job, Mike Devlin does a great job. But the guys themselves do a great job, you know. So you know they're they're welcoming to one another. But the bottom line is John's playing well. And when you're playing well, you fit. You tend to fit in, you know. And he he had to, he had to earn the job. I think he's transformed himself in his career a little bit.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: He made some technical changes technique wise to his to his to his game both running pass blocking, and it's paid off big time. So it's just great to see.
Speaker 7: About how they wanting to root for one another playing office.
Speaker 5: How you've seen that road.
Speaker 9: In your locker room progress and develop over the courses.
Speaker 2: You know, it's really it's really great. It's what you want as a coach, and I mean I've seen it in the locker room really from the beginning. But it is something that's like, uh, it's dynamic, right, it grows and evolves. It's a living, breathing thing. Relationships always are. And then you see it like in a game like that, you kind of see it. You see evidence of it, right, And so that was what you guys saw, That's what we all saw. That's fun, that's what that's what you want. I guess you could call it chemistry or whatever. There's a lot of words for it. But really I like that. I'm happy about it. I think it is the heart and soul of a team. And uh, you know we can build off that.
Speaker 8: General You've got two division games coming up to and to span of five days within each other. Does that does does the Bengals game kind of affect how you guys prepare for this one considering how closed the games?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I have to say no. It's a good question and a fair question, but we have to We've got to take care of business first things First, you know, we have the Browns and we have two division games in four days, five days. So that's our that's our challenge, and you know it's all going to be all about the Browns and that's it. And then when the Bengals game comes up, it'll be a short turnaround, but then it'll be the Bengals at that point.
Speaker 3: So we saw the video Mike mcconalds step four got a game all to the defense and talk a lot about this defense this year. But what what does Mike McDonald's kind of fingerprints.
Speaker 4: On what, what what.
Speaker 3: Does he specifically bring? How has it changed under him last year or so?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean, you know, Mike's a great coach. You know, we talked about that when we hired him. You know, he's been he's been here for a long time. He's he's a really good guy. The players like him. I think the staff there is really great too. You know, all those guys have really worked together. They understand teamwork, you know, they understand that, you know, working together. I think everybody's idea. Everybody has good ideas, and they're all used and they all support different ideas and things like that, all the things that you know, you think would be givens that aren't in human nature, right, those guys have done a great job with you know, be an example for the players and you know all that. So I'm really proud of that. But you know, it's uh, it's just it's just day to day. You know, it's just just day to day trying to get ready for the next game. Teaching, coaching. I think Mike does a great job of that. The guys do a great job of that, and it's really what we're all about. So, you know, we played what how many games we played now nine? So we got a lot of games left, you know, and we got one big one coming up Sunday, and that's really what we're our thoughts are on.
Speaker 5: A popular topic in the locker room after the game is a lot of players are getting fined for things they don't see. Fine Worth, does that cross your desk at all? I know it's nothing you could do about it, but you talk to your player. If we usually has a lot, has that been discussed and do you think it's kind of gotten little lot of control what some of these players are getting dark?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean I call every now and then I'll make a call just to understand it, because you know, the guys do talk about it, you know, when we're coaching these things, So we want to understand how the league views it. Also understand that there is a a process that is in place to take a look at that. So it's not just one sided. It's not like the NC double a whereout just the judge, jury and executioner. You know, it's in NFL and there's a player's association that has an opportunity to uh to create some fairness, you know, which which is good. That's the way it should be. So uh, they'll they'll, they'll, they'll challenge those fines and the decision to be made and then you move forward. That's just how it works. That's collective bargaining, and it works. It actually works out really well.
Speaker 4: There's obviously a lot of good blocking that goes on when you run the tree mid yards.
Speaker 3: But Tyler Linderbom's effort or initials are suppose you're.
Speaker 4: Reacting to that, and just in a general sense with Taler, how you see.
Speaker 3: Him grow from your one where he.
Speaker 2: Already Yeah, well, first of all, the effort that Tyler showed was was funny and it's not the first time, but not just him, I mean a bunch of guys you know, running down and getting blocks. That's what that's part of what you're talking about, you know, with the guy's playing for one another.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then Tyler, Yeah, he's he's just he grows. He just he keeps it simple.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: He's very very talented, he's very tough, but he keeps it simple, you know, and he works on being a great center every single day and is what he thinks about. So, you know, so we don't have to worry about it because he's got it covered. You know. He does a great job.
Speaker 7: You know, blocking.
Speaker 9: Isaiah likely had a really good game. It seems like his blocking has really improved. Also got involved in the past the game. Just how important is it for him to kind of immerge in that way?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's great. I mean Isaiah, like, you know, he's just he's such a great guy. But also I can read his body language, you know, and he hasn't he doesn't even realize it. But he's an open book, you know, and he gets he gets down when he he wants to do stuff. He wants to make plays, you know, and sometimes I tell him and bring juice, man, the players are coming, you know, and he does. And to see it play payoff, you know, that's really awesome.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 2: One thing I also want to mention is Kyle van Noy, you know, didn't get a chance to mention him last night. How about the swing of events that he led at the end of the half right probably that probably probably flipped the game or broke the game in a way, kept them from getting back within one score. I mean just just crazy good pass rush right there and then broad her jumping on that ball. So side note, Kyle was awesome.
Speaker 5: John would be tough to go for wins one day if we kind of injured. One question two parts is there's no issue with Lamark.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 3: And I think.
Speaker 5: I could be wrong here when you mentioned some of these some guys that could be returning on off I R I don't think you mentioned the job, but is there any update on his where he's at?
Speaker 2: Yeah, a job, you know. I don't really want to make an announcement on that, but there's a yeah, we'll have an announcement soon on that, okay.
Speaker 4: And Ma's completely marshall than anything a serious sound you don't want you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was nothing on the X rays or on the exam this morning. I think he went to an MRI this morning, which we have. I haven't heard about the result back on that, but it looks okay, but we'll see. I mean, you know, it may be day to day this week, we'll see.
Speaker 1: That was Raves head coach John Harbaugh. And if you want more of a breakdown from Sunday's game, head over to the Lounge podcast feed, where Ryan make and I break it all down in terms of what we saw in that victory. Make sure you hit that subscribe button and go ahead and leave a rating and a review. Thanks for listening to the Ravens Press Past podcast. We'll be back with you coming up on Wednesday, when the Ravens hit the practice field to begin their preparations for the Cleveland Browns