Speaker 1: The fan.
Speaker 2: It's time for tree brought to you by Miller Lte. Now here's your host of Vikings Country from kfa N and the Vikings Radio Network.
Speaker 3: Muss Joseph's right footed kickings is god some. The Minnesota Vikings have taken a three zero lead with one fifty seven to go in the game.
Speaker 4: Fucking around the Christmas tree at Christmas listener, huwhere you can't see eys to stop? Rocket ran the Christmas tree, left.
Speaker 1: The christ.
Speaker 5: Holiday spirit flow.
Speaker 6: It's not even cool one. Oh, I know this is kfa N. How you guys doing? I'm must and welcome to Vikings Country with nor Light, the official beer sponsor of the Minnesota Vikings. We're hanging out here employment at Sunshine Factory and apparently it's because we're in his backyard is the only reason that Hall of Favor Randall McDaniel, how are you buddy?
Speaker 1: Was great?
Speaker 5: That's me on what are you doing over there?
Speaker 1: Chick?
Speaker 6: We gotta get this microphone right up in there. Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 5: Try that one.
Speaker 6: Okay, Hey, how are you doing that better? Yeah? That was beautiful beer with them. It's got a deeper voice than I do. I was like, I don't want to be in the air with him.
Speaker 5: That's what I did. I actually turned it down.
Speaker 6: Brenda Lee, I mean rocking around on the Christmas tree. She just turned seventy nine, by the way, and she is now two weeks in a row at number one on the Billboard Hot one hundred. At seventy nine, she's the oldest person to be on that. Are you a big Brenda Lee.
Speaker 5: Rocking around the Christmas tree?
Speaker 1: Fan? God?
Speaker 7: Normally, if my wife made me change before I came here the month of December, all I ever wear is Grinch stuff. So oh really, I had to pull my Grin shirt off hand. And I hate people. I hate warning. I hate warning people though, but December birthday does that to you?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, what is your birthday?
Speaker 1: The nineteenth?
Speaker 5: Okay, very nice, very nice.
Speaker 6: So it's not too close to Christmas where it's ruined, like, you know, your Christmas is and birthday?
Speaker 5: You get that double gift when you're a kid.
Speaker 7: Yeah, too often often so yeah, so I have a little fun with it. I mean, I'm no longer teaching at school, but every day in the month of December, I wear a grand shirt that's a different one every.
Speaker 5: Day that is sweet.
Speaker 6: So, now, are you more the original where you got Boris carloth as a Gritch the cartoon bit there, or are you more like can you actually go from that and then go into Jim Carrey version.
Speaker 7: I am still the original. I mean my ring tone to someone called my phone, that's what's gonna ring. So it's all sad, everything's good. And the guy who was.
Speaker 6: The voice of Tony the Tiger is the guy who is.
Speaker 5: Singing the song You're all mean one.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, And I believe I think the guy's from Minnesota. If I'm not correct on that one, some absolutely correct me. That's why we have social media, which is fun. So are you uh, as you mentioned, you're more grinched than anything else. But like when it comes to Christmas time, Randall, are you a kind of a Clark w Griswold? Do you put up like a ton of holiday lights outside?
Speaker 5: Just go nuts with the whole thing?
Speaker 7: I'm serious me, Mike's finn of getting ready for Christmas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my wife gets a tree.
Speaker 7: I take it off the car, I bring it in, I set it up for and I'm done. So I packed the boxes, I bring them out, I give her all the decorations, But no, she is more of that. Yeah. Yeah, she puts it all up. She takes her all that. All I got to do is help bring it out and then put it away.
Speaker 5: In the college sweethearts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you and your wife Marianne? Right?
Speaker 5: Yes, uh nineteen eighty nine. I believe that you guys.
Speaker 1: Got married rightly? God, what you're stalking me?
Speaker 5: Look a little bit, a little bit, I got some time.
Speaker 6: On myn Okay, So is it hard to get gifts when you've been married long? Because I know my family hates it because I'm a dude and if I want something, I.
Speaker 1: Just go you get it? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, But is it hard to find something or do you guys just have like a system or does she wrap her own stuff?
Speaker 5: And I have had this happen before where I watched her.
Speaker 6: Open it and I was as surprised as you.
Speaker 7: No, I actually know I throughout the year, I hear her talk about things that she likes.
Speaker 1: So what she would rather have?
Speaker 7: Her best friend and her always talk all the time, So I'll give her best friend to call throughout the year. Go hey, when you guys are on that trip, what does she look at?
Speaker 1: What does she like?
Speaker 7: And so that way, then as Christmas gets close, I've already bought the president, right, and it's just waiting to be you know, I will wrap it nicely.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to do it yourself. Oh yeah, I have to. Even with these bad hands, I can still do something.
Speaker 5: You mentioned again about about teaching. And it's been what a year and a half now, since.
Speaker 1: The year and a half since I retired. Yeah, and.
Speaker 6: Was the year that you taught because you volunteered for a while, right, yes, I did.
Speaker 5: And then that was when you were actually playing I'm still playing, yes.
Speaker 6: And then did that help it all with knowing how to work a classroom of what normally would you had like third graders, right, yeah, had elementary kids. Right, So working these elementary kids and then going into the locker room and working with kids that are probably not as well behaved.
Speaker 7: You know what, Working in the classroom was similar to work being in the locker room. Yeah, every different attitude, I mean, everybody's different and you got to come together from how and work it out. So dealing with all the characters on the offensive line made it easy for me to sit in the classroom with all the different kids. So I mean I mean, but I will say this football was a lot easier than working at the school that much.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, all right, well Hall of Famer, I mean, my goodness, and the list that we have here. Seven time first Team All Pro, two times second Team All Pro, twelve consecutive Pro Bowls you played eleven, which is.
Speaker 5: A record for the Minnesota Vikings.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and then you went and played in twelve those Pro Bowls.
Speaker 5: Minnesota Vikings Ring of Honor.
Speaker 6: Of course, if there is a hall of fame of any kind, you have been inducted into it. Not only the NFL College Football Hall of Fame, the Rose Bowl Hall of Fame, and if Sunshine Factory and Miller Lte had a plaque here, I would guess it would have Random McDaniel's name on it.
Speaker 1: I've been fortunate. I mean, there's there's quite a few. There's some others.
Speaker 7: One my wife didn't go with me when they went to it, the National High School Hall of Fame.
Speaker 5: Oh yes, I'm sorry, I forgot that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So she was sick of celebrating me at that point. Invited all the friends over to the darts at my face on a big poster board and everything.
Speaker 1: But yes, lovingly.
Speaker 5: Lovingly, yes, I left.
Speaker 7: For that one, and she was like, Nope, you're on your own for this one. And we had just come back from Canton, and then this one happened too, so yeah, I went, I understand.
Speaker 6: So, yeah, I do want to ask you something about the Hall of Fame in Canton.
Speaker 5: We'll get to that in just a second.
Speaker 6: Here, as Randall McDaniel is, my guess, you're from Arizona. So this is the part I don't understand necessarily because most people who retire in Minnesota they go to Arizona. True, you've retired from two jobs and you're still here.
Speaker 7: I'm still here. I mean I grew up in Arizona. I mean I sun deviled through and through always wanted to go there. But when it came time to get drafted and go somewhere, I wanted to leave.
Speaker 1: Came here.
Speaker 7: You know the worst thing about it was I had to learn to drive in the snow, and I had to learn how to keep my feet from putting them too close to the heater and setting them on fire. So figured that out, and like I said, the people here are great, the quality of life is good. Then, and I was doing what I wanted to do here, So why I go back home and do it? Yeah, and then I actually do do it when I go back there, are going to buck. This is home now, this has been home since eighty eight.
Speaker 6: So yeah, nineteen eighty eight, the first round of the draft in the Minnesota Vikings.
Speaker 5: We're so fortunate to get one of.
Speaker 6: The greatest, greatest offensive linemen that's ever played the game.
Speaker 1: I don't know about that.
Speaker 5: Well, what do you.
Speaker 6: Mean you have a bust that tells you that, where do you keep that?
Speaker 5: Do you have one at home? Did they give you like a copy?
Speaker 1: They do give you a copy right right.
Speaker 6: What I'm imagining is that because Kirk Cousins did that whole quarterback thing that documentary. I don't know if you saw it or not, but he's got like the secret room, and that's where he keeps all of his memorabilia.
Speaker 5: So that way nobody has.
Speaker 6: This is how I imagine it there, McDaniel.
Speaker 1: Home, Oh, give me your picture.
Speaker 5: Is that you have your.
Speaker 6: Bust right there and then you pull it and it's on a lever and then it opens up like a bookshelf, and then that's where that's where the man cave and all the stuff is where you can.
Speaker 5: Sit there and hide away from your wife.
Speaker 7: No, you know I don't have a I mean the copy replica of the bus is downstairs. Why I have all the stuff and when I played football, and it's stuff that I collected from other players.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 7: The bus is in a corner of the nook by the pool table that no one can really see unless you're standing by the pool table. R.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 7: Half my stuff is put in the storage rooms. So yeah, my secret room is the storage room.
Speaker 6: If you're playing pool, you got buddies coming over and you just start to get some chirping going on.
Speaker 1: I put it away.
Speaker 5: You put it away? Yeah, you just put it right on the pool tables.
Speaker 2: Go.
Speaker 5: I think I'll you guys rack them up.
Speaker 7: If you met my buddy, I mean my buddy for the lineman, the guides from college. Yeah, if I'm not with them, people will assume that I'm a nobody because they talk trash with me, like I'm just this, which is great, keeps you humble. But yeah, no, that that bus gets put away, it'll probably get tossed somewhere.
Speaker 6: Here's the other question about the Hall of Fame. As I alluded.
Speaker 5: To before, and obviously. Congratulations. What an unbelievable thing to be inducted into.
Speaker 6: I can't Knowhi loan the NFL Hall of Fame. Do they gotta do it on the hottest damn day?
Speaker 5: Every single person is just melting.
Speaker 6: They gotta figure out something else because it's almost uncomfortable. You're wearing that gold jacket, but all of a sudden you're starting to get some pits going here.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but I will say this over the years, so this is what coming up in my sixteenth year.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: We used to be at the opposite end of the thing with the sun shining in your face.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, so every and before.
Speaker 7: They updated it and we did the stadium. So when I went in, I was looking into the sun and it was it was.
Speaker 5: I saw your induction speech so long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the other day.
Speaker 7: But I mean the best part about it after after I gave my speech, and it used to be a little locker.
Speaker 1: Room underneath the stage.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and Jack Youngbludd and ay randall come at me and we went down underneath the stage and had a couple of beers after my speech was done.
Speaker 1: Oh so perfect. I can't do that now, but well you can.
Speaker 5: If you're sneaking about it, speak about it. We're gonna talk a little bit of golf.
Speaker 6: We have coming up in our next segment, the five typically stupid Vikings Country questions.
Speaker 5: And I'm going to run you through.
Speaker 6: Okay, We're also going to talk a little bit about the twenty twenty three Minnesota Vikings And by the way, Friday Football Feast coming up this Friday. I believe they're still doing it on Friday. You go to kfan dot com or Vikings dot com with Buffalo Wild Wings, Paul Allen, Paul Charchion and the whole Like there Friday Football.
Speaker 5: Feast that's brought to you by who Is Light.
Speaker 6: We're here at Vikings Country with Miller Lite Sunshine Factory here in Plymouth.
Speaker 5: We're hanging out with Randall mccaffee in the fan. It's time for vic. Judy was boring Hello.
Speaker 8: Then Judy discovered Chumba Casino dot Com.
Speaker 2: It's my little escape.
Speaker 8: Now Judy is the life of the party.
Speaker 4: Oh baby, Mama is bringing home the bacon.
Speaker 8: WHOA take it easy, Judy jump the Jumba LIGHTE is for everybody, So go to Chumpacasino dot com and play over one hundred casino style games. Join today and play for free for your chance to redeem some serious prices. Jump jump acasino dot com. Noe's necessarily We're committed by man eighteen plus terms and condition to play see whatever details.
Speaker 2: He's kind of brought to you by Miller Lte. Now here's your host of Vikings Country from kfa N and the Vikings Radio Network.
Speaker 3: Mus Joseph's Right Footed Kick Games is gone. The Minnesota Vikings have taken a freeze zero lead with one fifty seven to go in the game.
Speaker 9: There is a magic noon, Yes it is. It's a magic noon somewhere in the ancient mystic.
Speaker 6: Chao Well' from back to Vikings Contry, Ladies and gentlemen, here with Miller Light Sunshine Factory. Look at all of our sweet luckings old nation hanging out with us, hoping to get tickets. Ers who remain in games where you can get that skull chant on at the US Bank Stadium in the Miller Lite Lounge and we'll have those to be given away.
Speaker 5: We're here until eight thirty at Sunshine Fat.
Speaker 6: We are here with Randall mctanniel, Hall of Famer, Ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 5: He is with sixty four. I figured you liked that A schoolhouse rock three is a magic number. We won three rip verb.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm just a bill.
Speaker 5: Oh just that guy's voice is just amazing.
Speaker 6: Some of the best stuff ever man, and especially as a teacher, you had to love that stuff.
Speaker 5: It was awesome. Yeah, okay, all right, so here we go. Let's talk about everybody always would bring.
Speaker 6: Up the stance, okay, And it came from an injury, right, That's how it started.
Speaker 1: From an injury.
Speaker 5: For me, I look like that if I dropped my phone on the floor of my house. That's it looked like trying to pick it up. But so how did that come about? And then why did you stick with him?
Speaker 1: Okay? So the stance came about the week before at all.
Speaker 7: Mean, We're playing Pittsburgh and my teammate, who was a college teammate as well, former alignment Todd Kyless, went.
Speaker 1: The chop this man. He chopped me, so he rose up my leg.
Speaker 7: I sprained partial care media collateral and I was supposed to miss four weeks. Yeah, we come back on practicing. I'm doing the rehab. I missed it one week and I'm still doing rehab. And they go to put me in a running pool. I mean, I can't swim, So I said, I'm practicing, you know, friend Zamberletti and I get in the argument and I tell Hi, I'm not getting in the pool. And so I practiced that day and they put me in the old Don Joy knee brace that wasn't mine. It was a used one, and because I hadn't earned the right to get one yet, so that week I started screwing around more in practice with that brace on.
Speaker 1: And finally the coach goes, well, you can do that, you can dress out. So I'm dressed out for the game. I'm not supposed to play.
Speaker 7: Dave Huffman the garden there was having a rough game, and my coach yelled at me to get in, and I run out as passed by very first, but I can't get low enough because that brace won't let me get down like I need to. So I turned my good leg and got into that stance just to.
Speaker 1: Get down low enough.
Speaker 5: So that was your good leg that had that?
Speaker 1: That was my good leg.
Speaker 7: Turns out yes, that was the good one. And then then the Dee lineman and I can't remember his name right now. He kept telling me I can't tell what you're doing. Man, it looks like you're gonna go right, but then you come straight at me, and I'm looking at him like, so, what do you think I'm doing right now? And then he makes his guests and I go, no, I'm coming right after he goes not at that stance, and then boom, I hit him in the mountain. So all game long, I'm like, wait, you can't read my stance. Why would I ever go back to a conventional stance when you can't read it. So John Michaels, my line coach, said, the day did you get beating that stance? You're going back to the normal stance. So that's how that.
Speaker 1: Whole thing came about.
Speaker 5: Then all the way to the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it worked. Yeah.
Speaker 7: My college line coach would always say, don't you tell people I tauch you that. I'm like, so I didn't have Nope, he didn't teach me that you don't.
Speaker 5: Use that stance on the golf course.
Speaker 1: Here, I got a whole different thing going on. The golfers.
Speaker 6: We were talking about that off the air, big time golfers. We love it, and I'm sad to say that you don't have a.
Speaker 5: Hall of One, but I do.
Speaker 1: So you haven't played Pebble Beach.
Speaker 5: It's a very good point.
Speaker 6: Okay, you got me right, all right, So let's talk a little bit more about Hall of Fame than Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 5: It looks like they think he's gonna be clear to play, like what on Christmas? I believe it is. They think you can be able to come from back from that injury and play.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 6: I bring that up only because that would be amazing. Nonetheless, but he's an easy guy to not like beause he played with the.
Speaker 5: Packers so long. But when it comes to the Hall, are there people in the Hall of Fame in can't Ohio that you're like, I never really liked that guy?
Speaker 1: Do I have to answer that?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know I can answer it.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 7: There are guys I played against that are in the Hall that we didn't get along when we're playing against each other and we actually get along great.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 7: I mean, yeah, it's a team that you get on and you can never be cut from. Even after you die, you're still stuck on this team. And then a lot of guys who you get there and you let everything go. Yeah, there are some guys I don't see him too often. From the older school that will hold onto a grudge for a little while. The don't chat with the guy. But you can tell just feel mad about the playing days.
Speaker 5: But Singletary, we'll talk to you after he blew him up.
Speaker 7: Yes, Singletary and I hang out together. I mean I hang out with a lot of the Bears. Before Gail Sayers passed away, he was one of my favorite players. Yeah, I mean I wrote a paper about him when I was in eighth grade, and then here I am with my hero this whole time. Yeah, and yeah, it's yeah, the Bear. I mean, there's everybody gets along well. I mean I call these guys up. I mean Elvin, but they played with the Houston Oilers. He and I talked every other week on the phone. He always wanted to know what was happening in the classroom with the kids, just because he wanted to get the stories. And I'm like, yeah, okay, but no, everybody, literally we do get along.
Speaker 6: Well that's that's awesome to hear. I was watching your highlights here this afternoon.
Speaker 5: I was just getting ready, and I was like, man, it really.
Speaker 6: Sucked to be a Giant when you were playing it was almost every highlight was oh there goes another giant who was getting pancakes.
Speaker 1: The Giants, the.
Speaker 5: Forty nine ers, the Bears, the lives.
Speaker 1: We used to I used to play full back on short yardage and gold line.
Speaker 7: All yeah, well that's when you hit signal there. That's when I hit a lot of those guys like that. I mean, what lineman's not going to love that? Or you you playing full back? It's short yard it's his job is the stuff the running back in the hole so that everybody can tap him.
Speaker 1: And he's supposed to stuff in the hole. Yeah, he can't avoid me. He has to take me on.
Speaker 7: And I used to sit there smiling when I went back there. I mean some of the guys, I told him I haven't fled out, told him it's coming right there.
Speaker 1: You know nothing you can do about it? You stop me, you don't, And I mean, I love you.
Speaker 6: Might have to make a business decision because I'm coming right at you there. All right, here we go five typically stupid Vikings country questions.
Speaker 5: Okay, your Viking's country with Miller Lte.
Speaker 6: We're at Sunshine Factory and Randall McDaniel is my guest. All right, Number one, your teammate John Randall.
Speaker 5: He had so many videos of him with.
Speaker 6: The regulators move out right, so a big young guns fan.
Speaker 5: Obviously.
Speaker 6: There for you favorite movie back when you were playing it was there a movie that was like, over and over again, I want to watch?
Speaker 7: Uh huh, Well it wasn't Dirty Harry Clint Eastwood movie. Oh yeah, I watched all the Dirty Harry movies. I used to watch them before I play a game.
Speaker 5: No, kid, Yeah, just get that little extra edge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 5: Number two, here we go. You're a teacher. Can you explain how your kids never go more than two weeks at school without a day off.
Speaker 6: You know, I don't want to make you mad, but now I know that you're retired because it's so weird. As a parent, you're like, man, they go two weeks and then they get another day.
Speaker 1: Off, so you don't have to answer that one, but they get okay. I will say this.
Speaker 7: When I went to school, I never missed the day it was I had. It was better for me to be in school than not. You didn't want, mom. It's straightened me out to hit it home, so I made sure I'm always there.
Speaker 6: But that's different in nineteen ninety five, Troy Aikman put out a country music song titled Oklahoma Nights You Got thirty Seconds?
Speaker 5: Have you ever thought about releasing a song?
Speaker 1: Milk Well?
Speaker 5: That was easier enough?
Speaker 6: Ladies and gentleman Hall of Famer Randall McDaniel here putting up with my stupid questions for Viking Country. Thank you Miller Like, thanks to our Viking Street Team, Thanks to our Miller Lite folks that are out here as well, skull Bikes.
Speaker 1: We got four remaining. Let's go.
Speaker 7: Get ready for Loserville twenty twenty four, starring The Ultimate Losers.
Speaker 1: Limp, Biscuit Bones featuring Eddie Baker and Xavier Wolves, and more.
Speaker 5: Get tickets now at live nation dot com.