Speaker 1: Happy Birthday two.
Speaker 2: You should a gave me more money check Birthday.
Speaker 3: My favorite Bill though, was Bill at the Rows, so man, I loved when he ripped on me. My favorite one that he brought to the table about me was talking about how he had that famous slogan do your job, and then he begged me on the stage in front of millions of people to stop doing my job. On the NFL pregame kickoff show like Cash was funny.
Speaker 2: Bro. Welcome to Dudes On Dudes. I'm Julian Edelman and I'm Rob Grenkelskun.
Speaker 1: And this is the show where your favorite dudes get to crack a beer open and talk about their favorite dudes.
Speaker 3: And today it's a very special Bill belcheck birthday spectacular.
Speaker 1: And that's why we're cracking tons of those beas. We need a lot of those for this. What are we talking about out today, Robbie.
Speaker 3: G we highlight the top Bill Belichick moments on and off the field. I was just starting to get a little bit out of control, so you know, he had to tamper me down a little bit.
Speaker 1: You gotta put the muzzle on old grunk sometimes. Yeah, we do some recruiting, role playing sounds spicy.
Speaker 3: I played in the biggest division in high school in Texas and you're telling me I'm not a smart football player.
Speaker 1: Coach, I look to never hear of your name again because you probably won't make it in the leak.
Speaker 3: And we'll even hear from some of Bill's pals, oh couple pals. And then we wrap it up with the Chillis Dude of the Week, presented by Coors Light favorite beer.
Speaker 2: Let's Go Boom. Dudes on Dudes is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: Hello everyone, This is a special surprise Wednesday episode and today is no other then the Great Coach, Bill Belichick's birthday, Happy Birthday, Coach, legend, best NFL coach ever. Now the head coach of a college football program, North Carolina, a mediocre college football program that they are suspecting him to take to the next level. And University of North Carolina should be at the top of one of the best Division one college football programs out there. Beautiful campus, beautiful stadium, beautiful geography, green trees, the Carolina's great weather, beautiful women, beautiful men, just everything's beautiful about beautiful the University of North Carolina. But over the last you know, decades, the University of North Carolina football program has been just subsidie. You know, it's just been average. It's not like you hear about them being in the top ten. They produced some great players like Drake May. But this is why they hired coach Bill Belichick to bring him to the Promise Land. And now it's his birthday, so we're promising him a happy celebration for his birthday.
Speaker 2: Let's sing to him, Jules, happy birthday, to Happy birthday, to you should a gave me more money birthday?
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, I just took from that your birthday singing to coach Belichick is that you will not be giving him a present because still in your mind, he still owes you.
Speaker 2: He ows me a whole lot of money.
Speaker 3: Still I understand I want to give him a single dime either if I yeah.
Speaker 2: I love coach. I just fuck with them with that whole thing. I know that's what we gotta do. You got it, you got them.
Speaker 1: What would you give him his birthday when I was playing for him?
Speaker 2: A couple of tds, A couple tds.
Speaker 3: But too about his birthday is April sixteenth and not during the season.
Speaker 1: Julian we would always do you I remember, like OTAs, You'd always always kind of remember it was his birthday because the media would bring it up, remember like a passing camp or something. It was usually like the that's like the first week of OTAs or something. They'd always have a little spark of Bill's birthday, and he'd have a shittyting grin towards the media and just his little whip of his whistle walking around knowing it's his birthday.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm, fucking old coach, like, it's my bird.
Speaker 3: Like to the media, it's my birthday, vis like, don't ask me anything today.
Speaker 1: That's probably what he'd want for his birthday, no questions from the media, even though he's a media butterfly now.
Speaker 3: He was like a Cali pillar when he was in the NFL, and then all of a sudden he just blossomed and now he's a media butterfly.
Speaker 2: Now he's a butterfly. Yeah, I like where you going with that? Holy crap, that was a good one. Rub.
Speaker 1: What was the best birthday gift you ever got?
Speaker 2: Oh? A bike?
Speaker 3: You know it was when I was a child. I loved biking around, but I was always using my brother's bikes. And they had a mountain bike and I always stole it from them. And then my birthday came and I got a bike. It was the best gift I could have possibly gotten. And then growing up as a kid, I mean I biked everywhere. I was probably biking, you know, ten miles a day on average, to my friend's house that were all over the neighborhoods, you know.
Speaker 2: To this grocery store or wherever.
Speaker 3: I just loved biking so much that when I got my first bike, it was the best birthday gift ever.
Speaker 1: Dude, I agree with you a million percent. I got my specialized fat Boy. I actually redid it up in it's I remember going to the bike shop and there was a certain amount of bikes that I could pick from because there was a certain amount of money. There's the one I wanted. I want a GT Interceptor. Those were like the sick bikes. They were too expensive. My dad wouldn't let me. So I got this specialized fat Boy and I got it over in like the blim Pie where they have a dent in it or something. There's something not manufactured to code for on the bike. So it was like thirty percent off. So I got like the sickest blimmed bike they had and it was specialized fat Boy. And now my daughter I got that on my birthday my dad. When got that, I was so excited. Now my daughter's riding it and she fucking loves it. It's so fucking cool. You know, it's crazy. Like I ride, We're driving in the car and my daughter, Lil, she'll see kids riding their bikes to school and stuff. She's like, oh my, like, cause it's not not a lot of people out here do it. Like when you were saying you rode around everyone in your bikes. I was going to other cities on my bike. We were when we were twelve years old. We were fucking rolling around our cities on our bike like miles. Like I have an eight year old now, Like when I was eight, I was probably going to like San Carlos. I would never let her go anywhere, never, But you know, but she's so infatuated with like kids riding their bikes to school. I feel like it's almost kind of like it's it's dying. At least from what I see in the areas that I'm in in Los Angeles. I don't see kids riding their bikes to school locking it up. There'd always be a bowload of bikes at the school.
Speaker 3: Member Well, nowadays you got the motorized bikes, which, oh those are great just to go for a cruise. I can't lie. I got a rad power bike in Tampa. That's just the best. I cruise around just everywhere on it. I even go to my workouts on it. And then you also got like the mopeads and like the scooters that are electronic as well.
Speaker 2: No one really rollerblades as well anymore.
Speaker 3: Rollerblading was kind of cool when we were growing up, and getting a new fresh pair of roller blades for your birthday was super cool. But rollerblading kind of you know, fatted away as well. I mean the bike industries, I feel like it's way more booming than rollerblading.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but rollerblading was cool.
Speaker 3: Got those glutes going, you know, I want to rollerblade against you know, thinking about it.
Speaker 1: You're kid like that was different like Northeast, But you guys are I.
Speaker 2: Didn't roller I didn't get it. You gotta try it out.
Speaker 3: I skateboard it, dude, I'm telling you you got a roller play Oh your skateboard.
Speaker 2: That's kind of the same thing. I was either talking.
Speaker 1: Would skateboard roller plate that could do like a kick flip one and seven times, and like I could do he'll flip probably one four times. But I hung out in the skate community.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. But I couldn't skate. I'm a skater like I used to have Europe.
Speaker 1: Later, I was a player Brink and I love playing from Disney Chanel. You love that movie Brink.
Speaker 2: Never seen it? Yeah, dude, let's go. That was The Mighty Ducks. I was a Mighty Ducker. I watched the fuck.
Speaker 3: What was crazy is I got to meet Keenan Thompson before in like in the last year, and I just thought it was super cool because he was the knuckle puck guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Man, he's still on SNL like he's been on SNL for like thirty years, legend. And he was also in Heavyweights like he's been. He's on a on a low key. He's like on some cal Ripken ship usually child actors. I mean, look at Goldberg. I seen some I see some mudshots of Goldberg. It's not looking good for old Goldberg, you know. And he was in a bunch of those movies too, as a young kid. Goldberg was a goalie, right, yeah, he was. He was good though. I like Julie the Kat, Oh, Julia Katt with the gloves Save Glove Save, because Lily likes Julie the Kat.
Speaker 2: She likes.
Speaker 1: The cool thing about Mighty Ducks is and even though they were made years ago, they they still had a girl in there, which when you have a little girl like they always gravitate towards the girl characters. I mean, rightfully so, but like a lot of the movies like Sandlot, No Girl, like a lot of these like sport movies. But like then you look at a inside out too. Little girl go to hockey camp, so she fucking loves it. So I don't know about Johnny Snami girls in there. He had a love interest, love Johnny.
Speaker 3: We're gonna go through some of the reasons why Bill pell Check is the greatest coach of all time.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it. Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 1: What are some moments that come to mind for you.
Speaker 3: My favorite moment is when he kind of first kind of cussed me out in a funny way in front of the team, you know, just kind of making me an example. It was probably the best possible, you know, way to do it as well. It was kind of like a Gronk example, Like going into my second year, you know those production meetings you do, so I did one with Scott Zolaky, and Scott Zolak is the ultimate hype man.
Speaker 2: He gets you going, gas lighting it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, gaslighting me, just gaslighting me, and I'm just taking the bait, taking the bait. He's got me hooked. He's just reeling me in and I'm in the production meeting. This is just a preseason game going into my second year. He's like Gronk, like, how many guys does take you?
Speaker 2: It tackle you? And I'm like, oh, all of them.
Speaker 3: Ten guys, actually ten guys on the defense it takes to tackle me. So then you know we're just messing around. Clearly, it doesn't take ten guys to tackle me. Well, someplace it does, you know, depending how good I'm feeling. But you know, my answer kind of wasn't wrong either, because it doesn't. It takes a lot of motherfuckers to bring this big dog down. Yeah, And Coach Belichick loved not you know, giving any info to the media or he didn't want you to hype no or hype yourself up and like, you make expectations that aren't reachable, you know in the media, you know, keep it mellow, keep it more low key.
Speaker 2: And there I am. Takes ten guys to tackle me.
Speaker 3: So middle of the game, you know, I catch a pass whatever, and Scott Zolak as the announcer of the game. I talked to Gronkowski in the production media and he told me it takes all ten guys or ten guys out of eleven out on the field to tackle his ass.
Speaker 2: And then what does coach Belichick do.
Speaker 3: He puts that little clip up on the screen the next day on Monday, and he makes example out of me. He goes, oh, oh, rock, it takes ten guys to tackle you. You know, he does this whole little display, just calls me out in front of.
Speaker 2: The team, and it makes me a show.
Speaker 1: Didn't he show like three blocks you missed or something?
Speaker 3: And then and then he shows it takes ten guys tackle But you're doing this and this, and you missed the block here, you missed the block here, But you're telling everyone it takes ten guys to tackle you. How about you just shut the f off? Yeah, And it was funny. He had the whole entire team laughing. I was laughing.
Speaker 2: It was cool. But you know I did learn from it as well.
Speaker 1: That that was his way of getting at you. It was like, if you hype yourself up, oh he would, he would. He would read it to the team and then he would just show you, like the seven worst plays you did in the game. That and we all have them. You know, you all have bad players. You brain fart, you this, that something happens, you slip.
Speaker 3: He humbled you in the best way possible. He helbled you through your play, yes, through facts. And you know something though, if you did talk a big game and you backed it up, he leaves you alone.
Speaker 2: He leaves you alone.
Speaker 3: Does But for that, for an example, he made an example out of me because I talked the big game. Takes ten guys to tackle me, and like, I missed like five blocks that game.
Speaker 2: So he's gonna he's gonna pound you back it up.
Speaker 3: I was going into my second year, yeah, and I was just starting to get a little bit out of control.
Speaker 2: So you know, he had to tamper me down a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you gotta put the muzzle on old grunk.
Speaker 2: Sometimes, yeah, you know, but that just made me want it even more. I just remember.
Speaker 1: There's a couple of things that come to my mind moments of Bill. One is the him throwing the flag, the challenge flag is such disgust and like he threw it out him with the onto Cincinnati is like or onto Cincinnati. And the thing is, that's what he's kept on saying to us, and the goddamn t meating. He's like, look, we're on to Cincinnati. We're like we just said that for like ten minutes in the media Frank or uh, Bill.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean I get mad at he's kind of like a bad face. Bill is, so I understand, Yeah, so makes sense.
Speaker 1: And then I remember early on in my career when YouTube was just coming out, I fucking I google our YouTube Bill and I found like the video of him making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in Cleveland and he and I just remember him, and I thought to myself, he puts peanut butter on both sides of the on both breads, and he puts it in between because he doesn't want it to He says, it locks it in. But I said, the jelly, the peanut butter ratio is so dorky. Who is this guy. I just remember as like a rookie watching that thing. He did his little thing where he goes on both sides like who is his dork? But he was a smart guy. I guess it actually worked because I tried it and the jelly doesn't come out.
Speaker 3: You just you just said, who is this dark? And then you go, I guess he's a smart guy, Jules. It's his birthday?
Speaker 2: Man? Oh sorry, yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Have this very special guest today is culinary skills are legendary.
Speaker 2: This is kind of darky, very Bill.
Speaker 4: Belichick the BB pbj ab p BJ What is that Bill Belichick's peanut butter?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Goodbye, I see here for you and let you going.
Speaker 2: Bb make the sandwich. Well, we'll start with the raisin bread. Why raisin bed?
Speaker 4: Well, my mother used raisin bread.
Speaker 1: Mothers are deadne aren't they?
Speaker 2: They're just the best. She she made the best. Want Yeah. Oh and chunky peanut butter. That's fun advanced technique.
Speaker 4: Well, it has a little more crunch to it and that really gives you a little extra energy. But the key to it, Mike, get to spread peanut butter on both sides of the brid But the jelly doesn't peak through in the sandwich and put the jelly.
Speaker 2: Stop it real quick.
Speaker 3: I just want to say, this is why Coach Blichick is one of the greatest coaches of all time, because he pays attention to details. I mean, this guy is making a peanut butter and jelly and he's just laying down all the facts and all the little tiny details why it's going to be so great, from going from the raisin bread to why he's using crunching peanut butter and all that other good stuff.
Speaker 2: Keep playing on.
Speaker 4: Both sides of the bread jelly doesn't.
Speaker 2: It doesn't lead another coach which is forward like that.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like his teams.
Speaker 2: They may.
Speaker 4: By the end of the day, it's not leaked through because the two peanut butter.
Speaker 3: Bill lips are sealed inside the facility. It's like the jelly trying to get outside of the bread.
Speaker 1: It's not going to it's sealed sealed. Yeah, that's one of the things I remember of Coach. I remember looking at that as a young player, because I mean, we all knew Coach Belichick was and especially early in our career, had three Super Bowls.
Speaker 2: They were the New England Patriots.
Speaker 1: But I wanted to see something because I was so intimidating and so scared of him, Like I wanted to find anything, and I found that video like second or third year, first, second, thirty year in the league, and I was like, oh my god, who is this guy?
Speaker 3: How do you you know, refer to coach Ballichick? You know, obviously in the facility him coach, but outside of football, now that we're we're retired, he's not in the NFL anymore. Do you still call him coach? Every time you talk to him and refer to him, he's still coach. Yeah, I mean I agree anytime that has to relate to football one hundred percent. He's always going to be coach to me. But sometimes I see him or or refer to him as just Bill. It just goes smooth with it, you know, it just goes along with it. But he's still always going to be coach. Like you said, Bill, Bill, you know Bill, when he's being funny, I remember and like on the roast, that's Bill, that's Bill Belichick. No, but we were all there, so he's kind of still coach.
Speaker 1: After fourteen, our Super Bowl, we were in a designated area together his party and I had some of my party. He took a shot with us after we won. That was like the first time. I was like, man, that's that was like the coolest thing ever because he kept it so professional and so like he let you know that he was there for business and this was a production business. To see a little bit of the outside for the first time in like a non professional environment, that was like awesome.
Speaker 3: Well, let's talk about some of his coaching decisions that you know that helped develop him and make him into one of the greatest coaches or if not the greatest coach of all time. And this is really one of the reasons why he's the greatest coach of all time. Yeah, he got us prepared every single week. He knew the defenses, you know, what type of plays to call, like what type of formations to call, the personnel and all that. But a lot of his coaching decisions played into the factor of why he is such a great coach as well, Like the ineligible formations versus Baltimore in the playoffs. I mean, without those play calls, we would have probably never gained that momentum that we needed in order to win that playoff game, which led us to our first Super Bowl that we won Julian in twenty fourteen. And on top and on top of it as well, the trick plays that he installed as well during the week and let you know, offensive coording to McDaniels call them as well, to just give us that well needed spark.
Speaker 2: So what even happens? Can we like go over that again?
Speaker 3: Because people ask, why is coach Belichick you know, that much better coach than everyone else? And I always bring up this formation how he made who man eligible as a tackle Baltimore and Raven But why was the guy that lined up in the slot and who was it that was ineligible?
Speaker 2: It was Shane Veren. He was ineligible in the slot to the right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he would come back like he was getting the pass and then we would throw it over there. Yeah, that this was I mean, this goes to the point of like, oh, you know, a lot of people don't think coach Belichick's elaborative. I believe he probably talked over with like Nick Saban about this because it just happened in college like two weeks before, and saw if it was applicable to our rules and regulations of the National Football League. And that's the kind of guy he is. He does his due diligence and if something is out there, he'll use it. I mean, and this is a clear indication. But I think some of his geniuses in some of those games. You remember, like the win game that he had two win games. There was that Buffalo game that we weren't a part of where they didn't even throw the football and they actually kind of.
Speaker 2: Had a baby win Game two with Mac Jones.
Speaker 1: But that one with Matt Casso I think it was two thousand and eight, they didn't throw at all and they won the game had Randy Moss, Wes Welker. It was like hurricane wins. And then also remember when we were playing against Denver, Wes Welker came back for this first time playing against US. They went up like twenty four to zero at halftime. We ended up bringing it back in and he took the wind at the overtime, not the ball, because the win was such a pivotal factor of the game. I remember that, and I remember a lot of people that caught a lot of headlines.
Speaker 2: Sure did, But what about the win game. I wasn't part of it.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty sure you were still on the team when I think they passed the ball two times.
Speaker 2: That part of the year before me. That was the year what do you mean the year before you? That was in two thousand and eight.
Speaker 3: No, I'm talking I think twenty twenty one that was.
Speaker 2: That was the win Game two with Mac Jones. I was there with Mac Jones.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you weren't there absolute crazy wins in Buffalo. I'm talking about like, how dare you throw the ball? And the Bills they threw it a couple of times and they completed a couple passes. But New England threw the ball just three times, and they ran the ball forty six times for over two hundred and twenty yards, and they ended up winning that game fourteen to ten. And you just saw that, you know, Coach Belichick smile after the game, like, yeah, I just outsmarted you with all my coaching decisions. So that just proves a point once again, when he knows to stick to a game plan, he sure does as well.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, is in game intuition or is in game insight like it.
Speaker 2: Was feeling it.
Speaker 1: But even you could look to the twenty fourteen infamous Malcolm Butler interception play. You see him on the sideline looking at Pete Carroll the whole time seeing like I thought Bflow was looking at Coach Belichick to take a time out because of the whole situation, and Bill like sat there and it was like some fucking beautiful mind shit. He's like reading formulas and looking at Pete Carroll and he's like, nah, don't call it.
Speaker 2: Throw in that one.
Speaker 1: And they runs in fucking the personnel group where it's all like linebackers, linemen and two dbs or whatever they put in.
Speaker 2: I don't have the play call.
Speaker 1: But then you know, and that whole thing goes like that was a huge decision to make in one of the biggest moments that turned into something good. There's countless decisions that we saw, you know, and then there was some that you know, went the other way. I remember my rookie year in two thousand and nine when we were playing in Indianapolis and when we went forward on fourth and two, we were up like it was it was pre analytics, so everyone's.
Speaker 2: Like, what the fuck is going on? Bill Belichick.
Speaker 1: We were on our own like forty eight or something, and Peyton Mannon was playing. We couldn't stop him, Like we got we jumped out to an early league, got a couple turnovers, I think, and then by the end we couldn't stop them. It was only a matter of we couldn't give him the ball back. So Bills like, we're gonna try to win it right here, we ended up losing it. We didn't get it. We threw it k fall and he was like a half yard short. And then they go on and score and win. So like he has balls to make these decisions, and.
Speaker 3: If he makes a wrong decision, it doesn't go his way. He knows what to do the following time. He doesn't make the same stake twice. And that's how he coached players as well. Like if you made a mistake, like he would coach you on it and he wouldn't want to see you make the mistake again. And that's you know, that's what kept him happy as well. That's what kept coach happy. And he really liked you as a player if he coached you and then you did it the right way the following time. Yeah, you're gonna make mistakes, and he understands that. But once you get coached, you better, you know, do the right thing on the field. And same with him and he would not make the same mistake twice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can make mistakes, just don't make them twice the same one twice.
Speaker 3: And if you do make it twice, just make the mistake like kind of in a different manner and to get away with it again.
Speaker 1: And coach, you know, for coach, not like being everyone's all kind of terrified of like, oh he's no fun. This that some of the greatest players like Rainy Moss wanted to play for Coach Belichick.
Speaker 2: How crazy is that?
Speaker 1: Like in chad O cho Sinko, who was a jokester and had his is full personality that you knew what Chado Chosinko was.
Speaker 2: Bill loved him. Bill love guys.
Speaker 1: It didn't matter what you Rob Gronkowski, he drafted Rob Gronkowski literally was Yoshoi Fiesta, Like. He didn't care what you did as long as you did it well. You know, if if you'd played well, he didn't care.
Speaker 3: But if he knew, like your silliness was affecting your game and wasn't helping you play well.
Speaker 2: He would get on you.
Speaker 3: But if he knew your silliness was making you play better, he would amplify the silliness in a positive way.
Speaker 2: He really would.
Speaker 3: He would amplify it, but he would he went like he wouldn't be a grudge against it. He would be like, oh, he's playing good. Like that silliness is working. Let's keep it going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it wasn't silly when he kept a six round Brady over a one hundred million dollars quarterback. Drew Bledsoe like, that's that's crazy.
Speaker 2: That takes some nuts, like some squirrel nuts. That takes them. That's that is nuts. That is m hm.
Speaker 1: And he did like even when you if you go back and watch it, I mean they they go to the NFC Championship, tell him got a high ankle spring and Drew came in and played lights out, didn't he? And Bill's like, fuck it, we're going with our young buck like that that was nuts.
Speaker 2: I mean, what.
Speaker 3: About what about playing Troy Brown at cornerback and another guy, I know, you Jewels at cornerback as well, just to have that instinct knowing that, well, look at this guy's talent. Look how he plays the wide receiver position game like, I feel like he can play corner as well.
Speaker 2: Let's try him out and it works.
Speaker 3: I mean, just incredible that that's just you know, based on his ability to read a player, which he was just his instincts as well like that, which were just very high.
Speaker 1: Well, that means North Carolina's gonna get some good evaluation.
Speaker 2: They sure are.
Speaker 3: And now that he's a college coach talking about North Carolina Jewels, Bill is going to have to do some recruiting, you know, some recruiting.
Speaker 1: Huh, even though he's the greatest coach of all time. You still gotta sell those gen Z kids their coach zis.
Speaker 3: You gotta sell them how much you're paying them. They want they want to know the highest bidder out there. They want to know how many Instagram followers you're gonna get them Bill.
Speaker 2: That's maybe why he's so good on social media.
Speaker 1: Now do you think they have rules nothing in the facility still, like like I haven't done any detective work on their players.
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: No, I think they probably you got to have like a player's lounge with the games. Now that's part of being in you know, the college atmosphere. So I think they got like the pink punk table probably corn hoole.
Speaker 1: Can they can they social media in the facility?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: No, no, no social media in the facility. I don't even like that rule. That that's like saying like, hey, like come in our personal space. Like no, I don't like personal space out there. I agree, Yeah, so no, I I I agree with that rule. Definitely, no social media inside the facility, Like that's weird. Like imagine like showing someone like playing ping pong like inside the players lounge, Like that's not cool. Like everything that goes on there should stay in there. That would be my rule as a head coach.
Speaker 2: I don't see him.
Speaker 1: As a recruiter. I mean, I think he's guys around him like a business. He's gonna he's gonna go for guys that like free agency, Hey you want to come here? Like I think his pitch to the kid is, I'm gonna get you ready for your ultimate dream. If you want to come here, here's the price. If not, it's a numbers game. And there's a lot more numbers in college where you could pull like than there is in free agency of the NFL. So I bet you he's pretty Like I don't know though, I want.
Speaker 2: I want. I want to go to North Carolina.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say, hey, hey, coach, can you give me a can you recruit me, give me the recruit pitch coach.
Speaker 3: I just want to sit in one of the meetings. I'm sure if you went to North Carolina he would let you. I just saw David Andrews there actually, and he gave a great speech to the to the players. And I love that introduction that you know that coach Balichak gave to about David Andrews as well, undrafted player, a couple couple Pro Bowls, right team captain for so many years. It's just kind of like showing that, hey, it doesn't matter where you come from.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: You know, if you were a two star athlete, if you're a one star athlete, if you're a five star, you know you're always going to get an opportunity to be great. And it's what you do with that opportunity. And that's just a prime example with David Andrews as well. And I saw Rob Ninkovich there as well, Ninko at the campus. I didn't see any film on on Ninko being there. I just saw some pictures. So obviously Ninko hasn't been that big of an inspiration like David Andrews has been. But that's all right, that's Rob nikovitch for you. He just likes to be part of the show, likes to be there for the pitch.
Speaker 1: How many little jabs does he send to you on social media?
Speaker 2: That's all he does.
Speaker 3: Well, that's why I'm jabbing him right now. Every single time he writes me something.
Speaker 1: Anytime I was anything, I don't even see it. I just get like one of someone on the coast, Like you see what Nico said.
Speaker 2: I'm like, what did Ninko say? I love it?
Speaker 3: Though I love it, Nico got me so good on one of his comments, So good?
Speaker 2: What say? I forgot?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna, but it was really good. He does look good. Ninko looks good in the powder blue. I mean talking about like doing stuff for like your facial hair. Like Nikovich is like the ultimate guy to make sure his facial hair is on point. He's taking whatever pill he needs to take to make sure that facial hair is growing in and it's trim the right way. He's got hair, all that good stuff and and it's sure paying off for him. And it looks good in that baby blue as well.
Speaker 1: He looks like Zange from Street Fighter. We'll be right back after this quick break In this segment, I'll be playing a little bit of Bill Belichick. Rob's gonna play a five star recruit. I'm gonna try to get raw to come to Chapel Hill. And we're in Rob's family's living room.
Speaker 2: Your coach, man, what up? Man?
Speaker 3: I'm here only because you're the greatest coach of all time. You will see not even that grid of a program. Your Alabama they already offering me two million dollars straight cash in my pocket. How much you got for me? And also, you gotta take care of my family. If you ain't taking care of my family, I ain't coming here to you and see.
Speaker 2: I know you, I know you're the greatest coach.
Speaker 3: But hey, talent outworks coaching all the time. I'm a five star recruit, best in the nation. What you're gonna do about that, coach? What are you offering me?
Speaker 2: Look? Okay, the number is one point eight my coach, I got offered two mil from Alabama.
Speaker 1: Go to Alabama. Look, if you want to get your second contract, you're not. This isn't real money. This isn't gonna take care of your family. Real money is gonna come in the National Football League.
Speaker 2: Where are you.
Speaker 1: Gonna get your best opportunity to become your best pro I'm a five star. I can go down any school and make it to the pros. I coached Lawrence fucking Taylor. Okay, they didn't even have an amount of stars I could give him. You think you're a five star, okay, one point eight? Sign sign the deal. Lombardi will send over the fucking contract, all right, And if you don't, I look to never hear of your name again because you probably won't make it in the league.
Speaker 3: But coach, if you get me, I'm a five star, that's gonna attract other players. I'm telling you, offer me the most money.
Speaker 1: We want players that are smart, tough football players that perform under pressure. And if you're not one of those, go to Alabama.
Speaker 3: I played in the biggest division in high school in Texas, and you're telling me I'm not a smart football player.
Speaker 1: Coach, Look, I'm telling you you're not gonna be lining up against some kid from fucking Cappuccino High over here who is never gonna lick a football in NC two A. Okay, This program right here is a building foundation. I'm telling you. Look, I'm just telling you a foundational program that'll give you what you need to go and make real money in the National Football League.
Speaker 2: If you want that, go to Alabama. Okay, I'm just telling you, a coach. I like what you're saying. You humbled me.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna come the University of North Carolina for you, coach, and I expect to see that second contract no matter what.
Speaker 2: Now see him camp, give me that bad cash. Jordan was that good?
Speaker 1: That's kind of what he would honestly like, I don't think he would even go for a guy like that.
Speaker 2: No, he won it. He wouldn't go for that guy he wanted.
Speaker 3: If the character that I was playing, he wouldn't even like bring into his office. He'd be like, nah, just let him go. He would want the five star that's a humble guy, collar.
Speaker 1: Guy, unless that guy was a defensive tackle that you fucking is a problem.
Speaker 2: Or he would take that guy that's.
Speaker 1: Or a d N that reminded that looked like if he had any kind of resemblance to lt M.
Speaker 3: But if that was like a flashy skill player, he'd be like, that's too many problems because that position, it has just too many eyes on it. But if it was a guy like that that I was representing that played d tackle Like you said, defensive end.
Speaker 2: I think maybe linebacker. Yeah, yeah he would. Yeah, actually we just did all that for nothing, not a flashy position.
Speaker 3: Well, no, then we explained it after I tell yeah, no, we did it all that was good.
Speaker 2: That was good. We got to go there? Yeah, should we go? Maybe? Maybe? Maybe? Maybe?
Speaker 1: I want to if I go, though, I don't want to go and do all the kitten kaboodles cameras. This want to go see what his actual operation looks like. Okay, I want to go sit in a staff meeting. I want to see how he's breaking down the goddamn coaches. I want to see how he's breaking down the goddamn day before the day even starts. I want to see what he talks like in the team meeting. I want to see what he's doing during the team meeting and the offensive defense breaks up. I want to see the walkthrough. I want to see the walk through to the drills. I want to see the drills to the seven on seven, to the team periods and the overall competition periods at the last bit of practice.
Speaker 2: That's what I want to see.
Speaker 1: I don't want to just see some fucking guy over here just trying to be a social media butterfly. I want to see that fucking whistle being twirled around to choking his little fat finger.
Speaker 2: That's what I want to see.
Speaker 1: Okay, if you want to go out here and do all this bullshit and let's record a fucking speech and let's try to get a recruit. I don't want don't don't even ask me there, don't even ask me to.
Speaker 3: Let's go to you and see here we come and we just put the expectations out there of what we want to see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jewels broke it down.
Speaker 1: The unc frat boys have been blown up.
Speaker 2: Dude. You know, everybody always says Bill is no fun, and.
Speaker 1: Bill's actually one of the funniest dudes of all time.
Speaker 3: So let's take a look at some of Bill's best moments off the field. Let's get into it. Well, we already talked about it. We're onto Cincinnati. We talked about how that was just one of his moments where his just instincts were there and how he was like that in the team meeting or after he talked about you know, said that to the media after the game as well. So that was not just a serious moment, but it was also a funny moment looking back at it to this date, you know, and it was coming off of a forty one to fourteen loss to Kansas City, So it wasn't that funny at the moment. It kind of like gave us that refreshing moment, like, yes, we don't have to relive that loss on Monday night football.
Speaker 2: We really are onto Cincinnati. Yeah, that was funny.
Speaker 1: I also think, you know him referencing my cousin during a legal investigation for the organization saying I'm not the Mona Lisa Veto of football world. I mean that's pretty comedic. That's called comedic timing. I mean, is comedic timing. That's what it is. It's his timing, like the timing of when he wrote down on a napkin, I won't be the head coach of the New York Football Jets and leaves it to the Jet.
Speaker 2: That's timing.
Speaker 1: Okay, He's not necessarily a funny guy with what he talks about or how he says it. He has timing, and he kills you with fact he does.
Speaker 2: You're right, you hold that right on the money.
Speaker 1: Or his just is Zach Gilligfanapius, What is that guy Galafanakis like two ferns, Like this dude over here in draft room with fucking Nike the dog running around, just him and Nike. And you take a look at like Cliff Kingsbury, who's in like crazy stupid love mansion and like million like crazy mansion. Mcvays he's over in like some cool like modern house mansion. Babes at the pool. Bill's got his fucking dog in the back of Quincy looking at fucking boats not even not even on the water that are like.
Speaker 2: Well, respect to Nike.
Speaker 3: He drafted Kyle Dougler, was it, I think thirty seventh pick over Yeah, Kyle Duggar, great player and Nike drafted him.
Speaker 2: That was Nike man, Nike. He's but he's he's the boy. That's a good boy. No.
Speaker 3: My funniest times every time I I smiled and just chuckled to myself in the team meeting rooms when coach Balichick brought up the social media names like he'd be like my Space, Well, why are we on my my face or my face, snap face or insta chat, Like why are we posting pictures after the game on in stuff? Face, like get off instaff face, and like every time he just combined like two social media names and put him together just like made me just brighten up inside.
Speaker 2: It was always funny as heck.
Speaker 1: When I was a kid, Yeah, when you were a kid, what I know, When I was young football player, rookie, they had.
Speaker 2: A Halloween party. You were a kid. Still, Randy had it. He threw Halloween.
Speaker 1: I wasn't cool enough to go to the party yet, but they had a party. And when he showed up as a pirate with his date, that was pretty funny. That was That was comedian costume. That was a comedic, a comedic costume.
Speaker 3: My favorite Bill though, because it's like really brought everyone together once again and like it'll it'll keep us together for life was Bill at the Rows. So man, I just loved what he brought to the table. I loved when he ripped on me. My favorite one that he brought to the table about me was talking about how he had that famous slogan do your job, and then he begged me on the stage in front of millions of people to stop doing my job on the NFL pregame kickoff show. Like that shit was funny. Bro funny. I was in tears laughing when he got me with that one. It was so good. And like you said, he's so good with his timing, timing whenever he just lays down the wood on a joke.
Speaker 1: Timing delivery, like his delivery is kind of funny too, because it's a dry delivery. It's like, hmmm, yeah, look let me let's look here.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back after this quick break. Now we're going to answer some of the most requested questions we get all the time about coach.
Speaker 2: Belichick, and we'll answer them once and for all. Let's do it. You remember the first time you met coach Belichick?
Speaker 3: Not really to tell you the truth, Oh oh, actually I do. Yeah, it just clicked. Actually it was at the combine. Yeah, when I walked into the room when you're doing the pre draft, you know, visits at the combine with the team, and there was coach Belichuck. When I walked in and interviewed with the Patriots. It was about quick five minutes, you know, the Bears was there, A couple other guys were there, but yeah, that's when I met him.
Speaker 2: You know, nothing, you know spectacular that stood out.
Speaker 3: But I just remember going in there and just getting you know, questions real quick at the combine.
Speaker 2: How about you. Do you remember the first time you met coach Belichuck. I don't.
Speaker 1: I was like a seventh round er, so like it was kind of like just show up and here's your shit in your schedule and you figure it out. And like I remember the first time like we encountered each other was like on the practice field when I was catching punts with Kevin Falk and he was teaching me how to catch a punt.
Speaker 2: He says, you catch a.
Speaker 1: Punt with your legs, like your feet, your arms, Edelman, you get your feet right, so it gives you a two way go.
Speaker 2: Same coaching tip.
Speaker 3: That is a great coaching tip because every fan out there is like, you gotta catch the punt with your hands.
Speaker 2: That's what everyone's saying. Use your hands, but.
Speaker 1: Really got to know where it is with your feet.
Speaker 3: Coach Balichick knows, you know, he's a step ahead of you and knows more, and he's telling Julian that you got to catch it with your feet. Yeah, obviously you use your hands to catch it, but if you have your feet in place and under you, like you were just saying it's gonna make it a lot easier.
Speaker 2: To catch the punt with your hands.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, great, great coaching point, right there, Jewels, I just learned something Nextually, I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that, And it's.
Speaker 3: True, Like it's true about receiving, you know as well, Like if you're going up and your feet aren't under you, and you're you're all over the place and you're you're going up to make the catch, it makes it harder to catch the.
Speaker 2: Ball if your body is not like that.
Speaker 1: The reason he was explaining the punt in the feet is because you have to read the tip of the ball depending on what it is doing at the top of the the arc of the punt. Now, if the ball doesn't tip over with the right footed punter, it's going to die and go right, So you have to get your feet there so you get a two way go. So if you read it right with your feet, then your hands are going to be there if the ball goes over, if it instead of like if it tips over, then it's gonna go far left and you play it on your right titty and it gives you two goes. So like that's what he was talking about because you're reading. It's like baseball. You know, you're reading where the ball's going, and so you don't you don't do it with your arms.
Speaker 2: You do with your legs.
Speaker 1: Is your legs are going to bring you to the area great points.
Speaker 2: When do you think you earned his trust?
Speaker 3: I would say I earned his trust my second year in the league in training camp when he gave me a parking spot up front. I was one of the training camp heroes or whatever was called training camp MVPs, I'm not exactly sure what is called. When he did it back in the day in order to earn the parking spot up front. And I got that my second year, you know, going into the season, throughout training camp, and right when that happened, that's when I felt like.
Speaker 2: I gained his trust. He believes in me.
Speaker 3: I got at the parking spot up in front of the parking lot. You know, it was a privilege, you know, to earn that, and that's when you know if if it truly felt like I earned his trust as well, you know, to get that parking spot, because parking spots were huge. It was like walking like fifty feet less into the building, which that fifty foot extra sucked, sucked, Cold days, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Cold days blue. What do you think you earned his trust? Never did?
Speaker 3: Oh that's a good answer. Nope, we'll leave it right there. I know you gained his trust. But I liked that first answer. He knows you know what I'm talking about. Boom, still met about that. When did you piss him off the most?
Speaker 2: You can't say never did that that one? You know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know you pissed him off plenty of times. I don't know how about when you got in fights on the practice field that pissed him off?
Speaker 1: All that tossed him off, But I don't think he got really mad at that.
Speaker 2: Now because he liked your aggressiveness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and give It's kind of like when a you know, like a coach gets tossed in Baseball's get a little spark to the game. The guys like I would get tossed in practice because it was a flat fucking practice. We needed a little spark. We need a little spark. So he actually kind of liked that. I think once it was in I think it was like mini camps. Remember we remember when he fucking we started doing those bout runs and he stopped. He stopped Mini camp practice, and we had to do like two bout runs in the middle of practice and then go up and do like NASCAR. And I was like dying, and I was a little pissed at it. I was because like our load was getting high. I remember you got mad at me for because I kind of I kind of gave him a little lip.
Speaker 2: I gave him a little lip.
Speaker 1: And I was like, we're trying to execute out here, dude, We're not getting anything done here. Fucking we can't even get lined up. We got fun guys, don't know what we're doing. Just shut the fuck up. At onman, get running. What year was this, It was probably like fifteen.
Speaker 2: Remember when we started doing those we did a bout run.
Speaker 1: We were we started doing these bout runs to get our fucking load up or conditioning. And he decides in the middle of a practice, he blows the whistles, all right, we're gonna do some conditioning. We had to do a full bout which is three minute runs. You have to hit seven hundred and eighty five yards in three minutes. You got to touch down, back down, back down, back down back. You have three minutes of full running. And if you don't get three eighty five, you don't you don't pass, and then we had to go do NASCAR after, which is no huddle.
Speaker 2: So like we were fucking trashed. This is make me want to run.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm like, dang, I'm not in shape anymore if that's what we were doing.
Speaker 1: When was the most human moment you had with them?
Speaker 2: Ooh, most human moment?
Speaker 1: Like for me, his most human moment is when I remember when I got suspended, like he and I got hurt, and he kinda he could see that I was hurt for letting the team down, and he kind of had he kinda I don't remember how, but he felt like he had my back, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Like that's a good feeling that you know what I mean, I do And that was like the most human moment I had with him.
Speaker 3: I would say, when I when I tossed, Yeah, when I uh, when I threw that guy out of the club when we played the Colts and then I went up to him on the sidelines. I didn't even say any words to him. I just started dancing in front of his face and he loved it.
Speaker 2: Loved it.
Speaker 1: And if you're getting a fucking penalty like a personal foul penalty.
Speaker 2: He hated that ship and I got a personal out too, and he loved it still. Now that's a human moment.
Speaker 1: Because he just you did your job too good. Yeah, and you can't get mad at the guy for doing a job.
Speaker 2: You're right, that's a great play. I did it too good.
Speaker 1: Did your job so good where you drove the guy literally to the back of the end zone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why he loved it. Personal file for doing your job.
Speaker 1: Because coach is always in the film room, they'll say shit like that, like this guy should be with the fucking cheerleaders with how he plays. You should walk him into the cheerleaders. Gronk literally blocked him into the cheerleaders. He got a fifteen yard penalty on it.
Speaker 2: Oh, that was so loved. Coach, Love coach. What was the best advice he gave to you?
Speaker 3: I mean he always gave great advice, you know, thinking about it to this day, I didn't truly understand it when I was twenty one, twenty two, twenty three years old. But he always you know, I always stuck back and you know, in the back of my head, but he always exemplified and made point that nothing good happens past twelve o'clock at night.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 3: He always reiterated it, and now thinking about it to this day, I use that line all the time. I'm like, why would I go out at nighttime? Nothing good happens past one and am let's party during the day, you know, And it was a great point party during the day. Yeah, can't get in trouble during the day.
Speaker 2: I bet you he's gonna use it.
Speaker 1: He better uses the show all as fucking his UNC team, you know what I mean. This is marketing right there. Get Bears on there. Who's this guy? Chris, Matts, Rob and I had a lot to say, but we wanted to give some of ours and Bill's other friends a chance to wish him a happy happy birthday.
Speaker 2: Roll the tape Special Birthday shout out.
Speaker 5: Happy birthday, Bill, I hope you have a great day, looking forward to catching up soon.
Speaker 2: Enjoy it. Happy birthday, Matty p.
Speaker 3: Hi Bill, Happy birthday, go heels great to see Ernie.
Speaker 2: Happy birthday, Bill. We had a long streak of your birthdays together.
Speaker 5: So bummed not to be there for this one, but thinking of you from afar.
Speaker 2: Happy birthday, Bears. What a guy. Hey, coach, hope you're doing well.
Speaker 1: Just wanted to wish you a happy birthday. I hope you get a chance to take a little time and celebrate with family and loved ones.
Speaker 2: Appreciate your coach, always, will always have. God bless you.
Speaker 1: Happy birthday, Leader, Captain Slates, hey Bill, Happy birthday.
Speaker 5: I hope you have a great day down there in North Carolina. I remember all those great birthdays we celebrated, both yours and mind back in the day getting ready for the draft and going through draft meetings. And I think when you sent me a message the other day on my birthday, I think you said you're gonna need an entire fire to I'm going to put out the candles on your kick, so don't worry. I'm going to send you a little bit of back up.
Speaker 1: Scottie p It's a guy, Poli, oh Poli. Wow, incredible, what a legend. A lot of people indebted to this guy. This guy.
Speaker 3: Before we get to the chills dude of the week, I just want to say, coach, happy birthday.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: I am forever indebted to you one hundred percent. Thank you for everything that you have done for me and my playing career. Thank you for drafting me to the New England Patriots. It was the best fit for myself, it was the best fit for my family. It was the best career move that could have possibly ever happened to me in my whole entire lifetime.
Speaker 2: So Bill, thank you very much.
Speaker 3: And thank you for all the coaching points and getting me ready on a weekly basis. And thank you for all your you know, clever jokes as well that made me giggle throughout my career too.
Speaker 2: I'm start shedding a tear girl. Geez.
Speaker 1: Thanks, Happy birthday, coach, Happy birthday. Yeah, thank you appreciate everything. I'm indebted to you too. I mean, we all, we all you. You discovered us and you you let us be a part of, you know, the game that we love, and you got to teach us the game that we loved at a high rate, you know, and let us experience it with you. It's been unbelievable to be part of his story. And uh, you know, it's a happy birthday, big guy. Keep and win some fucking games. Make me look good because I always have your back.
Speaker 2: And I want to see.
Speaker 3: On one of his I G accounts or social media accounts of him and his birthday suit.
Speaker 2: That would be pretty cool. Birthday soup Birthday.
Speaker 1: Let's get into the chills due to the week brought to you by our favorite beer, Corps Light. Get Corps Light delivered straight to your door. Visit corslight dot com, Slash dudes and celebrate.
Speaker 3: Respond forty jewels wide open for touchdown.
Speaker 2: Grabs the Cory's Light.
Speaker 3: He cracks it, and he is as chill as they mountains.
Speaker 1: The chill is dude of the week, obviously, Bill Belichick. Yes, what kind of dude is Coach Belichick?
Speaker 2: This is easy.
Speaker 3: I don't even think that we have to go over the you know, the categories of what kind of dudes?
Speaker 2: You know? Coach he's kind of a dog, Yeah he is.
Speaker 3: I think we all yeah he I mean, yeah, but that's just off the field.
Speaker 1: Or maybe he has to be a whiz to get all that yeah, on the field.
Speaker 2: That's the way I was leaning towards more. Obviously.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Bill's a fucking whiz, no doubt about it.
Speaker 2: Not even it's not even a debate.
Speaker 1: He's definitely not a dude's dude, I'll tell you that right now.
Speaker 2: And he ain't no stunt.
Speaker 3: I mean, if he's a freak. He's a freak without anyone.
Speaker 1: Else knowing, not us knowing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a dog a little bit. Now he's a dog, but not a dog, not a full not a full. No, but he's a whiz. We love you, coach, You're a whiz.
Speaker 2: Whiz.
Speaker 1: Stamp it and that was the chillest dude of the week thanks to our favorite beer cores Light.
Speaker 2: Thank your Cores, Light Cores delivered straight to your door.
Speaker 1: Visit coreslight dot com. Slash dudes remember celebrate responsibly.
Speaker 2: Well that's about another episode of Dudes on Dudes.
Speaker 3: Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Amazon Music, wherever you listen to podcasts.
Speaker 2: Commented dude. You want us to do and remember.
Speaker 1: Rate and review, call in and ask questions on the chill line. That number is five six one two zero three, five seven eight nine.
Speaker 2: Those are so fun. We love answering the questions.
Speaker 1: Remember to follow Dudes on Dudes on YouTube, Instagram, x TikTok, and Snapchat. Put a bunch of comments in there. We like communicating through it. We'll see you guys next week.
Speaker 2: Dudes on Dudes is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, Visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.