Speaker 1: Podcast. Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer new Art, and today we're joined by Stephen Ranella, Brody Henderson, Randall Williams, Maggie Hudlow, Corin Schneider, Levi Morgan, and Nick Pinzato. Levi and Nick, this is your first time on the show. How do you think you'll do it? Meat Eater Trivia.
Speaker 2: I'm nervous, Okay, yeah, I'm a little nervous.
Speaker 1: That that you don't think you'll perform well or what.
Speaker 2: That I won't get a single one right?
Speaker 1: Okay, I'd like your I think you'll do better than that.
Speaker 3: What's killing about this is we just had a long conversation about mental discipline and all that, and I see that he is not applying He's not applying his own lessons to the.
Speaker 2: True one thing left out or that confidence was really important mental discipline.
Speaker 1: Okay, well you work on that in the next few minutes before we get to the show. Nick, how do you think you're going to do.
Speaker 4: I came intending to win. I've been studying. I've talked to people who've submitted questions in the past. Yeah, I feel like maybe I've ever prepared it.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, Now I've heard from a few people, Steve, that you are probing some folks in your circle for questions for an upcoming episode where you're going to host.
Speaker 5: I've sent some inquiries out.
Speaker 1: How's that going for you?
Speaker 5: Nothing?
Speaker 1: Really, nothing that's gotten all the way back to Nick who said he was just with Jim Heffelfinger and Jim was telling Nick that you were asking Jim for questions.
Speaker 3: I hit Jim up and he told me the one that you haven't used, which is what's Aldo Leopold's actual first name, No idea, but that's they had the problem. Like, the only one he threw to me was one that he prefaced by saying.
Speaker 5: You won't use it.
Speaker 3: And it's one of those ones again like we always bring up, it's the.
Speaker 5: Point, isn't that no one knows?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 3: The point is not that no one would know, the point is that someone would know. That's right, someone wouldn't know. So no, that hasn't been helpful at all. But I say what, I've been very impressed by, very very impressed by. I had no idea the listener's submission, que.
Speaker 1: Tell me about it. Well, the volume for one volume is incredible.
Speaker 3: Great, great volume. And then some people are so thorough about it they even include the tidbit the talking shit. Yeah you know you were saying that you gave me like a one in blank is usable? I found a higher ratio of usable ones. I actually had three. I can't decide when I host.
Speaker 5: I might do two. Okay, listener questions. They're so impressed by the ku.
Speaker 6: We should do a whole episode a listener question.
Speaker 1: We will come in next week. Steve is going to host the show, so tune in for that.
Speaker 7: And really quick, Steve, can you get cozy with Brody over there? You're kind of out of the frame oil.
Speaker 1: Now. This is a ten round quiz show with questions from meat Eater's four verticals, which are hunting, fishing, conservation, and cooking, and there is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winner's choosing. But this show will be a little different. We are in the middle of white Tail Week, which runs from October second to October eighth, so in honor of that, this entire episode is trivia based on America's most pursued big game. Man, that's not a.
Speaker 3: Good idea, just like handing it to Nick.
Speaker 1: Oh what about LEVI?
Speaker 3: Well, he just said that he likes to hunt him, but he doesn't know all the like, you know what protein in a white tail like shapes?
Speaker 1: It's you know, hoof, Nick, You're in the whole position.
Speaker 4: We actually no, I have pressure, which I didn't have before.
Speaker 2: I don't think I will. We talked about on you.
Speaker 1: Everything is going to be a white tail based all right? Man? Really now I would bet, like like a Mark Kenyon, Tony Peterson, they would get a nine or ten on this Brody Steve maybe like a five. I think it's going to be a tougher round for you. When's the last time you killed the white tail?
Speaker 5: Brody?
Speaker 2: Last year?
Speaker 6: November?
Speaker 1: Okay about you last year?
Speaker 6: What's that got to do with answering questions about white tails?
Speaker 3: You remember Pat derkins observation when he was at deer and deer hunting he would interview a lot of big buck killers. Huh, and he said he was always surprised by how many of them couldn't have told you what tree they were sitting at here when they killed a trophy buck.
Speaker 1: You're gonna have to know a lot about white tails to perform. Well here, don't worry, I'll get his zero. Everybody now during this stretch that his white Tail Week, meat Eater will be bringing you its best white tail content, which you can find on the medeater dot com, and its best white tailed deals, which you can get at first light dot com. This whole week is dedicated to articles, videos, podcast and gear that'll help you kill your next big buck. For the stat of the week this week, we're looking at the number forty. That's the percent you'll get off some of our favorite items from first Light, like the Catalyst whitetail jacket and bibbs and the saw tooth jacket. Invest leave it. I know the Catalyst system is a staple in your mid season white tail kid. What do you like so much about it?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think it's uh, what do we snicker?
Speaker 1: I'm not sure.
Speaker 6: He's just making a very Steve's making.
Speaker 1: A turkey call and you can't pick that up at all? Can you fill in the mics?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 7: Yeah, you mean the squeaking Yeah, Oh definitely, yeah, Lee by the Catalystim.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you know it's just become the workhorse for us from October through November. You know, I think it's really versatile weather related, which is why I like it so much. I can wear a standalone if it's kind of warm out, or I can layer all the way down to thirty and mid thirties for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a good way to put it. It's maybe the most versatile piece in the white Tail system.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now you get forty percent off the Catalyst system right now. The white Tail Week deals end this weekend. Here's our zero percenter question of the week, which tests how much knowledge players have retained from previous shows. This question was from episode four sixty. The topic was white Tails, and nobody got it right. What was the nickname of the AK fifty seven radar laser triple barrel double scope heat seeking shotgun into Turty Point Buck?
Speaker 2: This question was what I was thinking about coming into this episode of Trivia, and I was like.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna bomb. What's the answer, Maggie, I can't remember anybody even have a guest.
Speaker 5: I wasn't here for this game.
Speaker 1: What was the nickname of the a K fifty seven radar laser triple barrel double scope heat seeking shotgun in the Turkey.
Speaker 6: I mostly just remember Mark's disappointment and himself.
Speaker 1: Nobody's gonna know if you know it, just shouted out, do you know the answer? Okay? The correct answer was Betty.
Speaker 5: Lou, you wouldn't given it to you.
Speaker 1: The incorrect answers from that show were Susie Betsy, Old Bessie Bess and the uper Smoke poll. And we have some housekeeping to get to. In a previous game of trivia, we had a question about black market bear organs. When the answers were revealed, Steve mocked our guest, who was a doctor, for writing, gallbladder is one word instead of two. Play the clip, Phil, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Angela saying gallbladder, gallbladder, gall bladder. Angel the entire room said gall bladder. They all got it right. The correct answer is gallbladders. Gallbladders and pause are something mocked across the world. Mocked. Okay, how would you describe it? Okay? Sure, okay, Well, despite Steve's confidence, gallbladder can be one word and is actually the preferred way to write it, according to places like Merriam Webster, the Mayo Clinic, John Hopkins Medicine web MD hot Hotel. Did I get that one wrong? Okay? Good, good correction.
Speaker 5: I don't know any Let's see, I just came on on top.
Speaker 2: He was, Steve.
Speaker 1: Here's your chance to apologize to doctor Angela Perry, who I'm certain is not listening right now.
Speaker 5: Well, that's just not how I write.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 5: That your I was wrong.
Speaker 1: I was wrong.
Speaker 5: Okay, I was wrong at least I didn't, you know, say John Hopkins.
Speaker 1: Yeah, apology not accepted on behalf of Ageria. Now, the Shelby index for today's round is a three, so our winner should get six correct answers, and with that we're onto the game of Troy.
Speaker 5: Well, tell me again. The Shelby index is what three?
Speaker 1: But she hasn't killed a white tail I think since twenty fifteen, so that's a low Shelby indeck, it's a low Shelby index. But she's not necessarily an authority on white tails, like a few of our players in the room today. So I like their chances play the drop, Phil.
Speaker 7: Oh, that was you caught me off guard their spencer.
Speaker 2: Here we go.
Speaker 6: Look, I need to know what I stand to win everything.
Speaker 5: How's that you just tend to win everything.
Speaker 2: Game on Suckers.
Speaker 1: Question one, as always, this will be multiple choice and the topic is hunting. What percent of white tail bucks killed by hunters in America are one and a half years old? Is it five percent, sixteen percent, twenty seven percent or thirty eight percent? And this was as of twenty twenty one. Here's the question again, what percent of white tail bucks killed by hunters in America are one and a half years old? Five percent, sixteen percent, twenty seven percent, thirty eight percent. This stant was from twenty twenty one. Steve with a confident answer, you think you have it right? Yeah, okay, it's everybody ready, Brody s percent sixteen percent, twenty seven percent, thirty eight percent. That's right. The question is on the TV behind Phil Randall ready, I think so, Maggie ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Levi saying thirty eight, Nick saying thirty eight, Koran sang thirty eight, Meggie saying sixteen, Randall saying thirty eight, saying thirty eight.
Speaker 5: No, he said, d ste you're saying.
Speaker 1: The biggest number. The correct answer was twenty seven percent. Did anybody get it right? Really got it right, that number of bed in nineteen ninety it's a great question. This is via the National Deer Association's twenty twenty three Deer Report. They found that just over a quarter of all white tail bucks killed by hunters in twenty twenty one were one and a half years old. That may seem like a lot, but that number has actually been decreasing. In two thousand and nine it was forty one percent, in nineteen ninety nine it was fifty one percent, and in nineteen eighty nine it was sixty two percent.
Speaker 3: And in nineteen eighty six in Mosquitine County, Michigan, it was one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Percent of white tails killed in America.
Speaker 3: That is really surprising, man, Well, Hamett is that but that's not Is that counting dudes?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 1: The whole counting shooting fawns specifically?
Speaker 4: Well, they that wouldn't count button bucks.
Speaker 1: No, okay, no question two. The topic is archery. Nobody got that one right. The Indoor Archery World Series finals have been held in this city since twenty eleven. The Indoor Archery World Series Finals have been held in this city since twenty eleven.
Speaker 7: Really quick, Spencer, audience is going to give peek behind the curtain. You're your Mike's crackling a little bit. You want to just kind of fuss with the cables there and make sure they're all they're all good to go. I know it's kind of a loose Pisa hardware there. Yep, that sounds pretty thing better. That's good, Okay, trying to touch it, thank you.
Speaker 1: Topic is archery. The Indoor Archery World Series finals have been held in this since two thousand and eleven.
Speaker 2: Indoor Archery World Series finals, the World Series?
Speaker 5: Is he messing up.
Speaker 2: Archer series?
Speaker 1: I can't think of like any cities.
Speaker 2: Names two cities an indoor Archery World Series and so I'm not sure. I'll just since twenty eleven. It's been in this city since, but way before that, So since twenty eleven was the start?
Speaker 5: Everybody sounds like he caught Spencer in the wrong.
Speaker 4: Question, if he's having trouble with it, I don't have a Archery World Series finals have been held in this city.
Speaker 2: Well, if it's not this when it starts with the same.
Speaker 1: Letter, is everybody ready?
Speaker 3: Hold?
Speaker 1: I got to think about this now, what would be that?
Speaker 5: What would that mean?
Speaker 8: I I think I picking up what you're putting down?
Speaker 5: Oh are you?
Speaker 2: I think so?
Speaker 1: Is everybody ready? Okay?
Speaker 5: Series letter?
Speaker 8: My alternate the other one with the same letter. My alternate guest started with the same letter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's okay.
Speaker 5: What letter might that be?
Speaker 2: The only thing is throwing me off is A twenty eleven because I've been shooting the same city since two thousand and seven?
Speaker 5: What city is that?
Speaker 2: So if it just moved there, then I might have got it wrong.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's do Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Levi saying Vegas, Nick saying Vegas, Krin saying Vegas, Meggie saying Pittsburgh, Randall saying Vegas, Brody saying Saint Louis, Steve saying Salt Lake City. The correct answer is Las Vegas.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The competition has events for men and women shooting re curves and compounds. Our guest, Levi Morgan, took third place out of two hundred and sixty seven competitors at the World Series in twenty nineteen. Levi, what do you remember about that day? I didn't win, That's what I remember that you beat two hundred and sixty four other.
Speaker 2: I remember having a beat with my friends that if I won, they got to pick a tattoo that I would get. Oh no, they got to pick Yeah, I got to pick where that it went. They got to refar it was so I threw it on purpose out there.
Speaker 1: You so hold on, you had to get a tattoo then, Yeah, it was the war of one Okay, yeah, no, what was it going to be?
Speaker 2: I have no idea. You have to know my friends. I couldn't talk about it on here anyway.
Speaker 1: Now, I think that the twenty eleven part was this archery organization was like for like before that it was two other organizations that were condensed into one, and then it became the World Series Finals. So it was very kind of convoluted about when it switched from this event to this event.
Speaker 5: Can you tell me understand how that's a white tail to your question?
Speaker 1: Because our guest is Levi Morgan. Question three, the top of his gear. Like this company that's famous for their number sixty nine dough in rut Urine has been in business since nineteen seventy two. The men in the room are confident, Maggie and Karin not so much. Here's the question again, The topic is gear this company that's famous for their number sixty nine. Dough In rut you'urin has been in business since nineteen seventy two, Steve, do you have any of this stuff at home right now?
Speaker 3: Even though my dad's been dead for twenty years. I could go into what was his office and open his drawer. I will, and I will find you a few of these.
Speaker 1: Really you should bust them out and use them then.
Speaker 5: Sure they're in great.
Speaker 1: I don't know if they could be in bad.
Speaker 3: Condition'll boy his wool, boony hat, a couple of chunks of para cord, some fingertabs, and some.
Speaker 5: Of this stuff would be laying in that drawer a.
Speaker 6: Lot of places. This stuff is probably not legal anymore, right were you're not allowed to.
Speaker 1: Use dough urn. Does everybody have an answered? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Levi saying Tinks, Nick saying Tinks, Karen saying, Maggie sang sensi, which is what like an Avon product? Randall and Brody and Steve saying Tinks. They got it. The correct answer is Tinks. The brand was started by Tink Nathan, who wanted to create lures that could bring bucks closer. Their number sixty nine doan ruttlure is a combination of Tink's secret ingredients and urine that's collected from white tails. On their estras cycle. They claim their product is the top selling buck lure in the world.
Speaker 5: Didn't have some vanilla in it?
Speaker 2: That was vanilla? Hope that's not the next question.
Speaker 1: Question four topic is conservation. This is our listener question of the week, which was won by Michael Arden for sending this great question. Michael is going to get a book signed by Steve if you want a chance to win and send your question to Trivia at the Meat eater dot com. These this bean shaped tissue is what biologists typic removed from deer to test for c w D. What this bean shaped tissue is what biologists typically removed from deer to test for c w D. Is yet again confident? Maybe Okay, everyone is quick to answers, not because.
Speaker 3: Me and Broady're in a tough spot here because of like that, The questions aren't even white tail questions.
Speaker 5: Brody's has a new different kind of answer. He wanted to share answers.
Speaker 1: I want to see what you're right. Brody also came in looking to make a statement he's wearing a mule deer founder knowing that this is white tail, just.
Speaker 7: Like a little little digs you know, you get on that, Mike Brody if you could, thanks.
Speaker 6: I'm pretty sure it's the same whether it's a mule deer a white tail.
Speaker 1: In this example, I hope. So the question again, is this bean shaped tissue is what biologists typically rem move from deer to test for CWD. Does everybody have an answer?
Speaker 2: I'll change mine three times, so we'll see Maggie.
Speaker 1: Are we ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Levi saying, Nick saying lymph node. Grin sang lymph node, Steve, do you have any comments for how Carin wrote lymph node without an answer? Randall's saying adenoid, Brody saying lymph node, Seeve saying thymus gland. The correct answer is lymph.
Speaker 5: Node's just no chance for me.
Speaker 1: Folks got it right. The brain stem and lymph nodes are spots where infectious proteins concentrate in CWD positive deer. For that reason, biologists have long struggled to find a way to test animals while they're alive. There are some live tests and development, like ones that take rectal biopsies or ear punches, but nothing has been perfected yet.
Speaker 5: Can you be certain that you can't tell from from the thymus gland?
Speaker 1: Are they being shaped?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, well I don't think that's what biologists use though typically. That's also part of the question is that it's like the most common way to test. Nick, How are we doing on live tests for white tails?
Speaker 4: Still not one hundred percent there. It's probably gonna be a while before we get there. So unfortunately, the best way to test is after the deer is dead.
Speaker 1: Do you think there's some day in our lifetime where that will be the case you can test? Really?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay? Are most people that optimistic?
Speaker 4: I think so. I think the arguments are mostly over how long it'll take to get there.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: What do you think that test will look like when it is around?
Speaker 4: I think it'll just be further development of some tests that we already have that are close right now, probably pretty close to approval.
Speaker 1: So that's a bit of sunshine. I didn't think we'd get I didn't think you would be the optimistic that it's going to happen.
Speaker 4: It doesn't help us a lot with wild deer though. That's a good point, you know, which is what we're most concerned about it It will help deer farmers.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Question five, the topic is woodsmanship. This is a visual question. If you want to see what the room is seeing, then go to Instagram and check out at Spencer Newhart or watch this episode on Meat Eater's YouTube channel. I am showing the room a trailcam picture that I got in twenty fourteen. Here's their prompt. This plant of many nicknames is a lagome that's famous for its hitch hiking seeds. This plant of many nicknames is a lagome that's famous for its hitch hiking seed.
Speaker 6: Where'd you take that picture? Spencer?
Speaker 1: Not going to tell you. We could talk about it afterwards if you're interested. Does that look like a familiar plant to some of you?
Speaker 5: That's nice?
Speaker 1: Bull? Did you get them? I did not get that one. No. He had two buddies with him that I ended up killing a few years later.
Speaker 5: Though.
Speaker 1: This buck I kind of lost track of though after he shed his velvet.
Speaker 2: I got no idea, But I know what that stuff is.
Speaker 1: Okay, it does, that's right, Steve? Does that look familiar? To you that plant.
Speaker 5: It does, but not real confident. But it's like I can't win anyway. Something the matter.
Speaker 1: This plant of many nick kings is a lagoon that's famous for its hitch hiking seeds. Brady, how we doing? You are thinking it's wrong? Okay, it's everybody ready. I'll be curious to see what the room comes up with. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Levi saying beggars lice, Nick saying jewel weed, Krin sang pole bean, Maggie saying hound's tooth, Randalls saying hitchhiker, Brody saying hound's tongue, Steve saying hound's tongue. Acceptable answers would be beggars lice, creature's lice, treefoil, tick treefoil, stick seed, stick tight, and hitchhikers. I don't know about hound's tongue. I will look that up. I've not heard that one. I never saw that one online match. That is that like foxtails.
Speaker 5: Closed yesterday. It's like they are like the little balls.
Speaker 1: Is it? Is it a legome. I'm guessing it's not the same like prickery, right, Yeah, it's beggars lice is a wiry plant that's native to North America. Its seeds act like valcrow and stick to fur, feathers, and clothes, which is its dispersal method. Despite our head for it, deer actually love to eat it. To learn more about the plant, read my article in the Mediator dot com called beggars lice a deer hunter's friend and foe. No hitchhiker was one of the hitch hiker is one of I wrote this down in an attempt to be cheeky because you said hitch hiking in the question. I found it mentioned in an article like Thrilled.
Speaker 8: I just I'm surprised that this was an answer.
Speaker 1: I think beggars lice is probably the most beggars lice is what he came up with. Does that sound familiar now that you've heard it though you've never heard of beggars lice not?
Speaker 2: I mean, maybe it's like.
Speaker 1: Lingo. We're halfway through the game of trivia. Give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we've got Maggie with zero points, Steven Ronella.
Speaker 6: With one man.
Speaker 7: One hand, ConA Brody have two points, apiece, Randall and Nick have three, and in first place is Levi Morgan with four points.
Speaker 2: I still can't believe I got the twenty seven percent wrong.
Speaker 1: Not happy about it. You doing well otherwise.
Speaker 5: I was the one I had right and I raised it, so you know, could be.
Speaker 2: Tied with Steven. It's already better than I thought.
Speaker 1: Question six. The topic is deer camp. Lee and Tiffany Lakowski have hosted this white tail hunting show since two thousand and eight. Levi, Nick Brody All look confident. Steve also has an answer. Randall is struggling. Lee and Tiffany Lukowski have hosted this white tail hunting show since two thousand and eight, and as you might remember from a previous episode of Trivia, I believe it was Tiffany who coined the term BBD, which means big buck down. Does everybody have an answer? Nick? Do you have this one right?
Speaker 2: I believe so.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's everybody ready. Randall, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Levi saying the crush, Nick sayg the crush, karenn without an answer, Maggie saying dear camp, Randall saying the Chase, Brody saying the crush, Steve saying the crush. They got it. The correct answer is the Crush. Before the Crush, Lee and Tiffany hosted the show Getting Close, And before that, Tiffany was a flight attendant and Lee was a chemical engineer in Minneapolis. They quit their day jobs in the early two thousands to buy a farm in Iowa and focus on land management and hunting. Question seven. The topic is conservation. What Hallowed County in Wisconsin leads the world in boone and crocket whitetail entries. Steve thinks he has it right.
Speaker 5: I don't even need you to finish what I didn't even need you to finish the question?
Speaker 1: What Hallowed County in Wisconsin leads the world in boone and crocket whitetail entries. You probably would have got it without even the word Wisconsin in there.
Speaker 8: I do know, I just have I don't have the answer yet.
Speaker 5: It's called big Buck County.
Speaker 1: Uh huh? Has anyone ever hunted in this county?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay? And did it live up to the hype? No?
Speaker 2: Oh really no, it's very over hunted because of this. Yeah, same thing as Pike County, Illinois.
Speaker 1: Does everybody have an answer?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're good.
Speaker 1: What Hallowed County in Wisconsin leads the world in Boone and Crocket whitetail entries. Randall I wrote down an answer.
Speaker 8: I'm not happy with it, so I'm just kind of drawing it out. We're waiting on me.
Speaker 1: You ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Levi and Nick saying Buffalo, Corrienn and Maggie without an answer, Randall saying Adams, which I think is a Wisconsin county anyway, Okay, Brody and Steve saying Buffalo. The correct answer is Buffalo, humiliating. Buffalo County has one hundred and sixty one entries in the Boone and Crocket record Book for typical and non typical whitetail deer. That's more than entire states like North Dakota, New York, and Pennsylvania. After Buffalo County, the top producers in America are Saint Louis County in Minnesota and Maverick County in Texas.
Speaker 3: How is Buffalo County doing if you look at it over time? Is it is its heyday pass? Or is it still cranking them out?
Speaker 1: No? I can't answer that for you. Nick, maybe you would have a better idea.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it's still very popular, so but does it still holding up numbers?
Speaker 1: Wise, be curious to see question eight. The topic is woodsmanship. The rear indentations in a white Tail Bucks track are made by these. This is question eight. We will get a scoreboard update from Phil after this. Here it is again, The rear indentations in a white Tail Bucks track are made by these.
Speaker 5: Ip coming back strong? Anybody else is strong? You can't catch because he keeps getting them right anyway. I don't know I spelled this if something.
Speaker 3: Bad happened to him and he couldn't play anymore, like a health problem or something ago that happened, and me coming back the way I'm coming back.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 5: Do you know what I'm saying?
Speaker 2: Sure it could.
Speaker 1: It could happen.
Speaker 3: You needed could have happened a concussion or an ACL tear on question six.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe like a gas leak in the building, just exclusively on this side of the table. Here's the question again. The rear indentations in a white Tailed Bucks track are made by these. Randall, do you have this one right?
Speaker 5: I'm not even gonna play serious, doctor Randall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I am.
Speaker 8: For whatever reason, I just can't come up with any answer.
Speaker 5: Randall, I think my stupid might be like filtering over because I can't.
Speaker 1: And Randall grew up in big buck country in Ohio. I did.
Speaker 5: Take a hail Mary.
Speaker 1: Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Levi and Nick saying clause, karenn without an answer, Maggie without an answer, Randall without an answer.
Speaker 5: He wrote, which could be Rody and Steve.
Speaker 1: Saying do clause?
Speaker 5: They got it?
Speaker 1: The correct answer is dow clause. Dew clause are located on the back side of a deer's leg and located slightly above the hoof. It's said that the best way to identify a big buck is by by its track is by studying the dew claw marks. Some features to look for include how wide they are, how far they are from the hoof, and if they're perpendicular to the hoof. To learn how to learn more how to spot a mature buck track, go read Mark Kenyon's article on the medeater dot com called how to identify a mature perpendiculous.
Speaker 5: Yeah that's good, I never thought to Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Usually like a good thing to look forward is the size and how weird call it when they're pronged out for some reason. It's good pendicular. Well, we have two questions left. Give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 7: Maggie Hedlo, Cringe, Schneider, Randall Williams, and Steven Ranilla are no longer in the running. I've been like, oh, I must have doctoring that. Yeah, Brody with five points. And then our two guests, Levi and Neck are in first and second respectively. Levi has seven, Nick has six.
Speaker 1: Wow, Okay, we're gonna get kind of fun. Question nine. The topic is gear. Doctor Scott L. Rod created created this hunting company in two thousand and seven, which claims to sell quote, the only active in the field sent elimination device. Oh, doctor Scott L. Rod created this hunting company in two thousand and seven, which claims to sell quote the only active in the field scent elimination device. Levi thinks he has it. LEVI, do you do you know? Do you use one of these?
Speaker 2: Do you have used them a lot?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, I think if I write, if I got it right, I have Give me a minute.
Speaker 5: Man, sure, len us something totally weird.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 5: When I bought the house I'm living in, there was one of these in the crawl space.
Speaker 1: The only thing that is right, that's weird.
Speaker 5: I mean, the only item in that house.
Speaker 1: I'd be kind of suspicious in the crawl space. What'd you do with it?
Speaker 5: Put in the free table?
Speaker 1: Oh, and it just disappeared.
Speaker 7: I wonder if they were evident that.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying, mm hmm.
Speaker 3: It was all the stuff I can't here with. The Hell's called doesn't matter if I can't win anyway.
Speaker 6: That's what these guys thrown in the towel.
Speaker 5: It's like, oh, you know, I remember now what it is.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's go ALP come back. Is everybody ready? Randall, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have leave by saying ozonyx. Nick saying ozonyx, Krin saying bye bye, smell Maggie and Randall without an answer, Brody and Steve saying ozonyx. They got it. The correct answer is ozonics.
Speaker 5: I'll point out, I still thinking since the fifth, the second half.
Speaker 1: You're on the heat day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, perfect game.
Speaker 2: You're doing good that you were using it probably to clean carpet, because that's where it came from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think originally Zone. I think like they use it industrial freezers a lot too. When freezers would go bad, they'd come in and clean them out with ozone. Ozonyx uses ozone to penetrate a hunter scent cone and eliminate human odor. They have what is considered one of the strongest patents in the hunting industry, which Scent Crusher bumped up against in twenty eighteen when they created their own field ozoned device. Sent Crusher sent me one to test, and then was sued by Ozonics just a few days later. Sent Crusher immediately pulled the device, but I never gave mine back and still have it to this day.
Speaker 2: So I own one.
Speaker 1: I own one of the only Scent Crusher field units in the world, and it's one of my proudest possessions. Wow, it's it's very cool. I'm very I hope someone asked me about it when I'm out doing Let.
Speaker 5: Me tell you that auction House of Odities item.
Speaker 1: It's good to take a lot to get that.
Speaker 2: Phil.
Speaker 1: We're on the last question, give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 7: Well, it's down to Levi and Nick.
Speaker 2: Levi has eight. Nick has seven.
Speaker 1: Question ten. The topic is hunting, so.
Speaker 5: Nick's gout. If Nick gets it right, Levi gets it wrong, it's overtime correct.
Speaker 1: Question ten. The topic is hunting. Of the states that begin with an eye, which one has the fewest white tailed deer? Of the states that begin with an I, which one has the fewest white tail deer? Just checking again, we have Nick who's leading or Levi.
Speaker 2: Levi has eight, Nick has seven.
Speaker 1: Okay, we need Levi to get this wrong, Nick to get this right to go to overtime. Few question ten. Of these states that begin with an eye, which one has the fewest white tail deer.
Speaker 2: I'm just hoping there's not a state I'm missing somewhere. I'll see.
Speaker 1: Nick. Do you think you have this one right?
Speaker 2: I believe I do.
Speaker 8: Okay, we're about to find out.
Speaker 2: Levi.
Speaker 1: You feel sort of confident. We are guaranteed to have a.
Speaker 8: Guest A nice to not have any skin in the game on the last round.
Speaker 5: D or question You're like friends and stuff like that, cheering each other that one.
Speaker 1: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Levi I saying Indiana, Nick saying you forgot Indiana, forgot Randle and Brody saying Ido Iowa, Steve originally saying Iowa.
Speaker 8: And then you should have gotten away with it. If you hadn't confessed to it.
Speaker 1: It was very subtle. The correct answers is Idaho, Nick.
Speaker 5: The ones in that little area toast tricky.
Speaker 1: It's all touch.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The four stakes that begin with an I are Indiana, Illinois, and I. Indiana has six hundred eighty thousand whitetail, Illinois has six hundred and sixty thousand, Iowa has four hundred and forty five thousand, and Idaho has two hundred and thirty two thousand whitetail and two hundred eighty two thousand mew les.
Speaker 5: The only reason you're able to get away with that question is give me the first two.
Speaker 1: States Iowa, Indiana, Illinois, Idaho. No, No, give me the numbers, uh, six sixty excuse me, six eighty six sixty forty five, and then I can't.
Speaker 5: Had it been different, you're not going to give that question on a twenty thousand.
Speaker 1: Ask the question that way.
Speaker 5: It's like ridiculous.
Speaker 8: Okay, the question had been different, it would have been a bad question, Spencer.
Speaker 1: It's a good point. Yeah, It'd be like if if the question is like, which, what's what's one the state that begins with uh, let's stay with there's only one of them. Do we have one? It's got to be there. I would ask that question. Yeah, that would have been a bad question. We're going to overtime. Play the drop, Phil, Oh, that was the wrong sound.
Speaker 3: They just cut it at if you ain't first, your last, and then like going to other stuff.
Speaker 5: It's funny. I never liked it a Phil cough Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah. If I would have asked state that begins with a G. You're right, Steve, that would have been a really bad question because it could have only been Georgia. Here's the overtime question. This is nu miracle. The person who's closest to the correct answer will be declared the winner. Between Nick and Levi. What did the Dustin huff Bucks score? And for reference, we have a photo of it on the TV. You can see this photo on our YouTube channel. What did the Dustin huff Bucks score? Write your answer to an eighth of an inch and I'll ask everyone in the room to play along. If somebody gets it right on the nose, we will add an extra one hundred dollars donation at the end.
Speaker 2: Of the game.
Speaker 4: It's just a netter gross score.
Speaker 1: This would be the Boone and Crocket score, which would make it.
Speaker 5: A what a stud buck?
Speaker 1: Though, man stud buck? I should know the answer to this. What did the dustin huff buck score go to an eighth of an inch? LEVI, what's the biggest buck you've ever killed?
Speaker 2: Come on and some change?
Speaker 1: Did he look like that?
Speaker 2: No, sir, he was not that big.
Speaker 5: I remember right.
Speaker 2: He was smaller, quite a bit smaller than that.
Speaker 1: So does everybody have an answer?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Are you guys going off of what you remember about when this happened, or are you going off the photo that you're looking at?
Speaker 2: Odo?
Speaker 4: For me, I've actually interviewed him, and I don't remember. I know it barely missed the world record though.
Speaker 1: Are you ready? Oh?
Speaker 2: I know what the world record is, so I probably don't have enough on here.
Speaker 1: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Levi saying two o six and an eighth, Nick saying two thirty one, Karen saying two hundred, Maggie saying two forty three, Randall saying two twenty one in an eighth, Brody's saying two oh one and three eights, Steve saying two hundred and one eighth. The correct answer, it's two eleven and four eightspaking Levi. He was within five inches of the correct answer. Now for bur on Dustin's story, you can hear him play trivia on episodes three thirty eight and three thirty nine of the Meat Eater podcast Win. He won trivia that day. It was our first guest to win. Went to overtime, a good guest too. The overtime question was the heaviest turkey and he dang near hit it right on the nose. Graduations way better than kills big Bucks. And he knows why.
Speaker 4: He's a world champ for a reason.
Speaker 1: Right, that's right, Vivi. What happens next is you get to choose where the five hundred dollars donation from Meat Eater goes. So what's it going to be? What conservation organization would you like is to send that money to?
Speaker 2: Let me let me see them do the National Deer.
Speaker 1: What do we like about that? Leaderships? What's that five hundred dollars buying us?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 5: My goodness?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so, uh, we're really the only whitetail conservation organization that gets into the science, interprets the science. We teach you how to do your food plot, we teach you how to hunt deer better. We work on policy issues, so we're very well rounded in that regard, so we certainly appreciate the contribution. And that's where mister Huff donated to as well.
Speaker 1: Oh it's all right, excellent man, that's right. We do forget Whitetail Week is happening right now in the Mediator dot com and first Light dot com. Go check out all the content and discounts before it's too late. Also, as a reminder, Steve is hosting next week, so tune in. It's going to be one of my favorite episodes. Steve, where's your confidence at right now about how how well you're going to do?
Speaker 3: What's been messing with me a little bit? And I've been tailoring it is I've been tailoring it trying to make a little room for younger players. Okay, uh, because I would go heavily toward media references, and I've been and I've been chilling that out and I've kept it down to one media reference and not getting into like, you know, because I was like in what state and the deer hunter and what state do they hunt deer?
Speaker 1: Sure, but that was from the seventies Pennsylvania and it's a red stag. Anyways, it's the Hartford buck.
Speaker 5: It's the same buck. You remember the Hartford buck for the insurance That would have been my tidbit.
Speaker 3: Now the buck that the buck they used in the Deer Hunter is this famous buck from the insurance commercials.
Speaker 1: The Hertford stage, good Little there.
Speaker 3: Was like the Hertford Insurance Company had this. Their logo was this buck, you know, this red stag.
Speaker 1: That's kind of content you're going to get from Steve next to the great tidbit.
Speaker 8: Well, actually that's not what he's been cutting those out.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, but listen, I've been putting a lot of I've been putting a lot more thought in than he ever did.
Speaker 1: Nick Next time for more Eat or Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins.