Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Final Hour.
Speaker 2: In this Tuesday Dan and the Dan Nets Dan Patrick Show, the Minister of Humor, Todd Fritz, Seatan O'Connor, Marvin, the Prince, Paul Ester, and yours truly the back room guys. Ian Rappaport of NFL Network NFL Network Insider will stop by right now five vacancies, perhaps one or two more to follow. Mike McCarthy tomorrow will have an exclusive window to talk to the Cowboys. I believe for a week now, the Chicago Bears have asked for permission to talk to Mike McCarthy. I'm not sure why they're asking publicly to have an interview with him, unless you're doing this for your fan base to say, we are bringing in everybody. We're not going to make the mistake that we did last year where we didn't bring in Jim Harbaugh and or Bill Belichick just to pick their brains of what they would do with this organization. But Mike McCarthy could be going back to the Cowboys. Your guess is as good as mine. With this eight seven to seven to three DP show email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show coming up, will play the game the team that didn't make the playoffs that's in the best shape going forward. We're going to take the Bengals off the board. Oh yeah, I think we have to take Joe Burrow and Jamar Chase off the board. Is that fair? I think so?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the triple Crown winners, a wide receiver, an MVP candidate at quarterback, and the sack leader in Trey Hendrickson. I think that we should take that team off the board as we move forward. Yeah, they got dudes there. Yeah, okay, all right, so get ready, we'll run down the teams that did not make the playoffs. The team that you think is in the best shape. Now are we talking next season? Two? Seasons, three season?
Speaker 4: Going forward? Is up to your interpretation.
Speaker 5: Okay, So this could be like it turn it as early as today, they could be in good shape. Yeah, right, this weekend?
Speaker 2: Okay, as early as today. All right, whole question for the final hour is going to be one.
Speaker 5: Come we have up there, one from PAULI here. For the next five years, I'd want to coach the Bears, the Cowboys, or be unemployed.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Mike McCarthy if we said, Mike, you pick you can coach either one for the next five years or not coach at all. Be unemployed. Is in second place, just behind coaching the Cowboys. Coaching the Bears. Oh, Cowboys are third. Oh okay, so the Cowboys are the last pick on there. Okay, most people, it's very very close. How much they would rather be unemployed than coach the Bears or the Cowboys. We say, good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, download the app. If you haven't done so, go to Danpatrick dot com. A lot of great gifts there. You don't have to have a holiday to have a holiday gift. Danpatrick dot com a lot of great items there. The NFL is built around the passing game. You know, we've seen that Baker Mayfield, Joe Burrow, Lamar Jackson over forty touchdown houses. But remember when the Giants were debating about Saquon Barkley. Do you spend twelve million dollars that's too much for Saquon Barkley.
Speaker 6: Hmmm.
Speaker 2: If I gave him a due over, now, they may have made the right decision for the franchise, And maybe they looked at it and said, we're not ready to win, let's not spend that money. I get that, but you spent the money on Daniel Jones. And then you doubled down and you said, yeah, sure we'll spend the money. If you're going to spend the money on Daniel Jones, then spend the money on Saquon Barkley. But if you're not going to spend that money on either, and I understand that, but you look at these different teams right now. So here's Barkley nearly broke Eric Dickerson single season record. The Eagles have the number two seed in the NFC. The Lions David Montgomery, Jamiir Gibbs. So they signed Montgomery, then they draft Gibbs. Gibbs has been unbelievable. Twelfth pick overall. Remember that pick, What are you taking a running back for? And I said, he's Marshall Falk. He's another Marshall Falk. And then you took a linebacker out of Iowa. And these are not positions that you draft high. But it worked out for Dan Campbell. But the running game, But look at what's going on Bucky Irving and Tampa, Josh Jacobs, Derrick Henry James Cook, Joe Mixon, Kyron Williams, Aaron Jones. They are in the playoffs. I know you got to throw the ball, but eventually you have to run the ball, running and playing defense, the passing parts, the glamour part. You want to win championships. How's your defense? Can you stop somebody? And can you get a tough yard or two with your running game? It's proven tried and true throughout history with the NFL, and we'll continue that. You can throw it, but your running game and your defense almost always travels. All right, let's go around the room. The team not making the playoffs in the best shape moving forward. Todd, I'm going to start with you. We've taken the off the board.
Speaker 7: I've narrowed it down to Seattle, Atlanta, and Indy.
Speaker 8: But I'm gonna take Atlanta.
Speaker 2: I'm hoping Pennix will make a big jump. Sure you really narrowed it down there.
Speaker 7: I thought those were the three was maybe the only three you could really pick. But I'm gonna go with the Falcons. It's kind of a weak division. I know the Bucks and Baker there. Okay, Pennix, maybe you'll make a big jump, and they've got a number of.
Speaker 9: Strong players in place.
Speaker 7: That to do better next year.
Speaker 2: Okay, see, no Connor.
Speaker 5: I also have the falcons because they already have a bunch of pieces. And when you look also a weak division, like Todd said, and you look at that team and you're like, how is this not team?
Speaker 2: Not any good? It doesn't make any sense? That's I like that kind of all right, I'm taking the falcons off the board for the front row. No, no, I'm taking them off the board for the front row. You could do that. Yes, they're off the board, yes, I fellows. Yeah, oh we should have gone first. So the back row got the falcons. Marvin, who are you taking? Can we come back to me?
Speaker 8: Because I had the falcons, Paulie, how much stuff did I written down for the falcons?
Speaker 4: He has the falcons and I had the falcons, but they're off the board.
Speaker 2: Mark, all right, you know what?
Speaker 8: Then I'm going to take the New York Giants because that's the first name I saw.
Speaker 2: You don't really believe that, No, of course I don't, all right, Paul man Man.
Speaker 4: Weirdly, I'm gonna go with the Las Vegas Raiders. I think they're gonna get it together. I think Tom Brady is going to be part of that organization fully within the next two years, and it's gonna be a long term play.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go with the Cowboys. You've got a quarterback, you've got a wide receiver, and you got a defensive player who you just clicks get. Mike Greenberg just said, well done, well done.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, Paul, it feels like we've seen the cowboys best work in the past three years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not going to get better. Yeah, once again, I don't have to believe it. Jane Daniels just going for clicks, all right, yeah, yes, Mark, was that your first take? Oh wait, wait yeah, hey, I learned learn I taught some of the best there at the mother Ship. Just go with clicks. All else fails. Just say Cowboys or Lakers, Lebron, You're good to go. A couple of phone calls in here Marcus in Wisconsin, Hi, Marcus, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 11: Man, I got the first time long time six foot I'm gonna go a spelt two hundred.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 12: I appreciate that.
Speaker 11: I'm I'll say in Chicago, but I'm gonna go with Jacksonville. That's the best open. Allegedly they got a running back and a quarterback a week to visitor and they live in Florida.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, Marcus. Who is the guy out of LSU? Is it? Brian Thomas? Was he a third round draft pick the wide receiver and there were people who had a first round grade on him. He had an unbelievable year for Jacksonville. You'd never know it. I think you know part of that LSU wide receiving corps, and I think he was a third round pick by Jacksonville. I might have been a Pro Bowl player or should have been a Pro Bowl player. But the numbers that he put up, yes, Mark.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the Pro bowlers were special teams guys.
Speaker 2: Okay, long snapper and a punter. Oh that's right. Yeah, and they did a lot of punting. So those guys, I mean, I understand that bloop bloop, uh. But yeah, you see the numbers by Thomas there kind of quietly put up some great numbers there, Marvin.
Speaker 8: Yeah, twelve hundred yards receiving on the season.
Speaker 2: All right, Yeah, didn't know that, did you? Oh? No, ten touchdowns? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Who says?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yes, I said. There are so many good stories, but you know, sometimes they get lost. And then I saw the numbers and I go, damn. I remember this kid at LSU was really good but got lost and they have all you know, all those great wide receivers.
Speaker 4: Yes, Paul, he needs a better star name. Brian Thomas Jr. Does not scare me when you watch him Play's awesome like Odell Beckham.
Speaker 2: Like, oh no, just b Thomas. I'm gonna be Thomas Ken in South Carolina?
Speaker 11: Hi?
Speaker 2: Ken, what's on your mind?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 5: South Dakota.
Speaker 10: But two thirty My question was do you think that Gerard and Bao was the sacrificial lamb from Belichick? Because following a legend is very tough. And my other question is does Belichick's girlfriend get free college at UNC?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Ken, I think we're done with belichick girlfriend jokes, But is she going to be the hood and cheerleader?
Speaker 10: Hey?
Speaker 2: They're in love and I love love, So who am I to criticize? Meet on a plane. I've met people on a plane before, didn't fall in love. But uh, is that how it happened? Yeah? But I had no idea. Yeah backstory, yeah, oh yeah. I think she came up and said he low and I think he autographed a book maybe or something. Or she was talking about a book she was reading or something. I don't know. I'm short on details here, but yeah, I think I think they they didn't they met on a plane, I think. And then after that it's love so uh sewn in Kansas? Hi, Sean, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 3: Hey guys, thanks for taking my call again.
Speaker 2: I I damn, somebody check on Sean, please, somebody check on Shawn and Kansas. I sounded like something happened or he was trying to imitate Dylan.
Speaker 5: Or there was a point where like every sports talk radio host had that kind of voice too for a little while there, and like the two thousands, everybody sort of did.
Speaker 2: This, Oh Scott Farrell. Yeah, yeah, there's a lot of dudes and lots of markets. Farrell was entertaining. Is Scotty still doing radio? Yeah, yeah, he's still doing a lot of stuff. And then he would always be pouring beers on the radio.
Speaker 5: It's like the alternative rock guys were like, oh, this format's dead, better jump to sports.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I liked Farrell. Farrell on the bench, Yes for on bench. Yeah, didn't you do overnight?
Speaker 4: He did overnights for a long time back in the early two thousands, then he did serious when I was there, I knew him, and he did serious for about a decade.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, he was entertaining. You know, it's tough to stand out in this business, and everybody's trying to stand out, trying to be different, and uh, you know, it's like when Jim Rome started, nobody sounded like that. His approach was different than anybody else. Uh, you know, Scotty with what he was doing. There's a lot of people and we pick and shoo. You know, people take things from shows, personalities, approaches, you know, all of those things, characters. Uh, but those you know, you're your original and uh, you know Rome certainly and Mike and the bandog with what they did that was different than anybody at the time.
Speaker 8: Yes, Marvin, going back to Seeing's point about sports guys going to music and vice versa, Yeah, have you ever been approach about going back and doing a music show?
Speaker 2: No, but I'd like to. I would. I'd like to do a you know, a serious show, like a one off, maybe maybe play my favorite Bruce Springsteen. So I don't think I'm a big enough name to be on there to do a you know, Bruce Springsteen hour. They used to do that, I think where they'd have celebrities and quotations and you'd go on and you'd have an hour of your favorite songs with Bruce. The problem with that is people play Rosalita, jungle Land and Born to Run, and to me, that's boring. As great as those songs are, like She's the one is my favorite song off Born to Run. But that'd be fun something like that, But yeah, i'd like to I loved listening to music, but I hated when you had to queue up a record. Now this is a long time ago. So you'd pick out the record, you'd have to queue it up, and then you would take the other album off the turntable, put it back, and then you had to get another one. Then you had to get all your commercials ready. It was mind boggling. Like I get, you know, I have problems with OCD. I mean, imagine me in a studio where I've got to do all of this stuff and my mind is just racing there. And I remember there'd be times when there would always be this casse not as a cartridge, and it would be a backup song if you didn't get your album cued up. The song cued up. It's like, oh, bleep boom hit that, and then you had a song that played. And then sometimes you'd go, I don't know what do I want something that play? Might have to use the restroom. Maybe I'll play American Pie Man, I'm gonna play Meat Loaf, Paradise by the Dashboard Light, Green Grass and High Times Forever. Yeah, but I do miss it, and I do I appreciate there are people who are really really good at it. Although you know what drives me crazy with serious XM. The DJs tell you their name and then they'll tell you their every break, they'll tell you their name. I don't need to know your name. If I'm listening to that channel, I know your voice. I don't need to hear it, but you'll hear it sometimes the front end or the back end or both, and it drives me crazy. And have some information. I always love when they get me a little background there. You know the Beatles channel, there's always like Meg Griffin always has things that she'll say and you kind of fill that in. And I love the homework when they tell you something that you thought you knew and they just they kind of add to it.
Speaker 8: Yes, Marvin, it there's nothing better than a good like fact dirt while they're trying to hit the post.
Speaker 2: Well the post. As I found out later, you know, there's a clock that tells you and it'll count you down. And see that's cheating you're going to hit the post. It should be a feel that you're going to hit the post. And then I remember working on an FM radio station and Dayton and there was a country station right across the hallway and I remember that the morning DJ and he had the clock and I said to him, I said, John, what's that? He goes, Oh, that's so I can hit the post. I go, oh, damn, all these years hit the post? Yes, Tod, that's kind of week. Thank you. That's weak, sawce sus what that is? Where have you been today?
Speaker 9: Where have I been?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I've been right here.
Speaker 2: I missed you.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I'm a little wilder, sometimes a little more subdurit. I mix it up a little bit.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, I know I talk too much. I do know I'm talking on of Finally, you can never written, you just can't. You did win? Who won Most Valuable Day? Inn? N? I did you did? You're the winner, You're the big winner all right, let's take a break. Ian Rappaport from NFL Network will join us. Coming up, We'll take a break. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 13: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 6: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four percent ethic on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 13: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 6: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 13: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 6: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 2: I mean that says something.
Speaker 13: Right, So check us out.
Speaker 2: We like to get you involved too. Take your phone calls, chop it up, as they say.
Speaker 6: I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 2: Most interactive show on Planetar.
Speaker 13: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Because I have nothing to do in my personal life, I was looking at some reviews twenty twenty three of the Detroit Lions Draft. There were a lot of f's on there. The strategy got en f they had David Montgomery, They bring in Jamier Gibbs the twelfth pick overall, they got Sam Laporta out of Iowa. They got Campbell out of Iowa as well, linebacker, and you saw a lot of bad grades for Detroit and now moving forward, they knew what they were doing. He's Ian Rappaport NFL Network Insider. You can see him tonight on The Insiders and that's its seven Eastern non NFL Network. Good to talk to you again.
Speaker 11: Ian.
Speaker 2: Give me the surprise coaching move, whether it was keeping a coach or firing a coach.
Speaker 9: Well, I would say, I don't know what.
Speaker 14: It's a surprise now, because basically what happens is everything, every different possible outcome gets sort of rumored.
Speaker 9: Right. So it's like, people say, can you believe that?
Speaker 14: It's like the Titans just fired Ran Carthon the general manager after two seasons after giving him an extension last year. You know, it's like, is that a surprise. I don't know that anything's a surprise that there have been some rumors always. But to me, the one that I was most unsure about was probably the Giants.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 14: To me, not that my opinion matters at all, but I felt like if the Giants could just take a deep breath and stick with people who they know are good, who took them to the playoffs, they know Brian Daboll is a good coach, didn't forget how to be a good coach.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 14: I think the Daniel Jones quarterback plummet probably hurt them a little bit over the last couple of years. If they could just take a deep breath and stick there, I think they will benefit. I just you know, people so often choose change when there's an option. Just people want you to do something, just something, And so I was sort of pleasantly surprised. I would say that they decided to do nothing and stick with the guys they have.
Speaker 2: Of the openings, now, in your opinion, the most attractive job is where.
Speaker 14: It's all about the quarterback and it's all about how quickly you can get in there and win. I mean, that's that's to me. So it's like, you know, I think the Bears is really really attractive if you think, you know, if you think Caleb Williams is good, and I think everyone thinks he's you know, it's not like he was taking number one and people like the Bears were crazy, many many people would have taken him number one. So to me, I think that's that's a really really attractive job. Some of the others might take a little bit of time, but that roster is pretty good. Offensive line needs work, but I think all around, you know, if Caleb Williams can throw on time and take care of the ball like he certainly did this year, I think that's one where you could sort of flip it pretty quickly. The other one I like is the Jaguars.
Speaker 9: You know, like, is Trevor.
Speaker 14: Lawrence going to be Patrick Mahomes Like, I don't know at this point, maybe not, probably not very good viable quarterback locked in for a long time, a lot of weapons, a lot of good young players tied into contracts that have already started. That's another place where it's like, I think you could hop in there and win fairly quickly in a division that has not always been a the top, top tier.
Speaker 2: What are the cowboys doing now?
Speaker 9: They're dancing. Cowboys are dancing.
Speaker 14: You know they're different, man, And you know we know that cowboys are different. We know they're a different animal. But situations like this really show us how different. Jerry Jones does not like dead money, and it feels like would rather have this uncertainty for eight days or nine days or whoever long the last, rather than deal with the dead money of let's say, extending Mike McCarthy and deciding we do not want him here. So the sense I get, the sense I get is that they want him back. The sense I get is that he would like to be back under the right circumstances. You have other teams. You know we're gonna have interest The Bears have put in request. I would expect the Saints to have.
Speaker 9: Interests as well.
Speaker 14: It's just can they get together and figure out something that works for both of them and for me, A lot of the biggest questions are, like what about the term of the contract, Like if you're the Cowboys, you know, maybe you.
Speaker 9: Say, oh, well, let's do a two year deal. Cool.
Speaker 14: If we don't we want to get out next year, we can just fire him with you know, limited money. If you're McCarthy, like, why would you do that? Just go somewhere else and get a five year deal. So I think that's some of the issues they need to work out.
Speaker 2: Do the Lions lose both coordinators.
Speaker 9: A pretty good chance?
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean Ben Johnson's a little bit of a different deal because he's been in demand for a couple of years. You know, I don't know that he would have gotten the commander's job last year, but at least he would have been one of the final guys they were discussing, right.
Speaker 9: That whole situation was.
Speaker 14: Kind of weird, But he's in demand enough where I think he's gonna have a chance to get a job. And then to me, I mean Aaron Glenn, Like we all saw what the Lions defensive coordinator did on Sunday.
Speaker 9: That was a that was mean.
Speaker 14: He made things very very rough for the Vikings. I had not seen that Sam Donald in a couple of years. But that's not why I think Aaron Glenn's going to get a job. It's really about like culture and leadership, and to me, he's the guy who's sort of like most an extension of Dan Campbell on the staff. Like I think, I think he's got a really good shot to get one of these.
Speaker 9: Jobs as well.
Speaker 2: Talking to Ian Rappaport, NFL Network insider, I've said this for many, many years. Not every coordinator deserves to be a head coach that because of what goes along. Like you know, Girod Mayo, I don't think he was equipped to go to those press conferences. I think he was trying to be the antithesis of Belichick and he just he didn't handle it well. Now that doesn't mean he can't learn how to do it. But we've seen a lot of the Patriot coordinators Romeo Crenell and Charlie Weiss, and they're coordinators, they're just but it's tough to say that to somebody when somebody says, why doesn't that guy get a shot? Well, you've got to be Pete Carroll at a press conference, now, like you got to be able to handle these things. And you're a CEO, how do you different can you differentiate between somebody is just a great coordinator and not a head coach.
Speaker 14: So specifically to the press conferences, I don't care that that much about like Gard Mayo kind of like stepping on his foot or whatever at a press conference. I don't care that much. But just because, like if you're not great at the media, like most people most when Rod Mayo was coming out as a player, he did plenty of interviews as a coordinator. He was a position coach for a lot of it. He didn't do a ton of interviews. Most of these guys have not, so like you'll see, like I remember Nick Sirianni, who has proven to be a very good head coach, was a disaster his first press conference. You and I sort of take it for granted. It's very very hard. I don't care so much about that. What I care about is a lot of times that press conference face or persona or whatever is what you put in front of the team. That's more important to me, because, like you know, when you're it's like mess up in front of the media. Okay, who cares? But if you mess up in front of the team. They're gonna wonder if you're really authentic, are you acting? Are you trying to be? And I think that's where a lot of the Patriots coordinators under Belichick have run into problems because they were trying to be something, whether it's him, whether it's I'm definitely not going to be him. It's like players can tell when you're not just a leader, right, and so like talk about coordinators being ready, Like Dan Campbell wasn't a coordinator. He was just the best leader that the Saints had. So it's like sometimes coaches, you know, it's like, I really don't think that the best play calling head coach, the best play calling coordinator means you're going to be a great head coach. It's like, find the best leader, but that guy in front of the big room, not the small one, but the big room, and let him go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you've got to create a culture. And I think that I don't know what Ben Johnson's personality is, but is he going to be able to lead? Dan Campbell came in and we were like, oh, who is this guy? And then all of a sudden we realized that that guy is that guy and those players bought into that. And really that's the important part. The Cowboys they bought into Jimmy Johnson like, you have to buy into that. We may see somebody and go that guy's corny or you know, that guy's quiet, but you'll know when you're the feedback you get comes from your players. That's the ultimate, that's the only feedback you really need.
Speaker 14: Well, yeah, and like like for for me, like you know, I've been doing this for thirteen years now, and I get to know a lot of these coordinator candidates, a lot of the young coaches, and it's really been educational for me to as I talk about it and as I talk to gms and owners and whoever you know, whether publicly or probably about some of these candidates, because it's like, what makes a good head coach, we what makes a good coordinator is almost almost has nothing to do with each other. Like if you do the Venn diagram thing, they may not connect. Like I remember so specifically. I hate to even say this now, but kind of rolling my eyes at the line's excitement over d Campbell because I'm like, what are they seeing that I am not seeing? He's ever been a coordinator, like yes, he gave the speeches and the Saints to the point, but like he's not even a coordinator. And now, as I've learned, it's like who cares, Like find the best leader. And it's like, you know you talked about I was laughing as you were doing the open talking about how bad the lines draft, you know, drafts were. It's like, what is Brad Holmes doing? Don't they care about, you know, positional value. It's like, find good football players, have them play on your team. Have a lot of good football players, you don't have a better team. It's like same thing with coaches. Find good leaders, let them lead, and then everything else will sort of be fine.
Speaker 2: Finish this sentence. If the Steelers get blown out against the Ravens, I.
Speaker 14: Will be surprised. If the Steelers get blown out against the Ravens. You're talking specifically about Mike Tomlin. I don't think anything happens to Mike tom But I would say if the Steelers get blown out by the Ravens, then I will say they take another look at the quarterback position and try to figure that out for next year. I have thought, I have believed that their starting quarterback for next year is on their roster. My sense is that it was Russell Wilson.
Speaker 9: It has been very.
Speaker 14: Rough the last month, very rough, so maybe it's not. But I think we're about to find out.
Speaker 2: Let's flip it. If the Ravens lose.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean this is about as talented a Ravens team as as we could have. You know, I would be surprised if anything happens to Harbor, if that's what you mean.
Speaker 9: To me, he is.
Speaker 2: It's probably perception with Lamar, like this is the ultimate kiss of death with him, whether it's fair or not. But here we are home field advantage. You had home field advantage last year.
Speaker 14: You know the no I get it, it's there, I get and last year was probably like you know, I I would like to see the Ravens in the super Bowl. Would be very fun. And they're such a good team and I feel like they, you know, deserve to. So last year was frustrating because it's like, I don't know what else they have to do. And then they got Torrick Henry. They sort of form their identity even more. I think they're you know, good enough on defense. I mean, this looks like a team that should be should go deep into the playoffs and reach the Super Bowl. But again, like I don't think it's a It's so freaking hard to get there. It's so hard. And like you could say whatever you want about Omar or Josh Allen, same thing. It's like, I get it, but you got to beat Mahomes. So it's like sometimes you're just Mahomes is gonna beat you.
Speaker 9: He's very good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like Jordan, you know, it's yeah the Jordan era that there's no shame in not winning a championship there.
Speaker 14: Look, look, Mahomes is a good pitcher, like I've seen I've seen the clips of him throwing. Like, if he wants to go play baseball, he's still got a great arm. If he wants to go play baseball, then I think that really opens things up at AFC.
Speaker 2: I think he'd be maybe a better baseball player than Jordan.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean Jordan was not very good.
Speaker 14: But on the other hand, like you drop someone into you know, was it doubles Birmingham double A?
Speaker 9: Drop someone into double A? Like he hit two hundred, that's pretty good. I wouldn't hit two hundred.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you're not You're not one of the greatest athlete you know in the world.
Speaker 9: It's offensive.
Speaker 2: I don't even know if you're the best athletic insider.
Speaker 14: Wow, that's really offensive. I was a high school baseball player. I was pretty good.
Speaker 2: Are you more athletic than Adam Schefter?
Speaker 14: I think, I mean, I think skill wise, just pure athleticism, Like I think I have a better arm. You know, I think if you psych, you know, having a catch, I think I would probably.
Speaker 2: Let's do the combine.
Speaker 14: He might beat me in a race, and I think he he is. I'm pretty sure he lifts. I think strength wise, he would probably get at me. But hitting a baseball, throwing talk about like golf, I feel like I probably got him, just so be really depending on the events.
Speaker 2: What if Glazier was in the octagon with you.
Speaker 14: Well, if we're talking octagon, me and Schefter have no chance. But you want to talk like golf, baseball, tennis. You know, I did go to a Nick Poltary week of tennis camp when I was eleven.
Speaker 9: Okay, well, so saying.
Speaker 2: My bad, I did not know that Fritzy. Will you check his resume next time? Yeah, that's impressious stuff here.
Speaker 9: I was a college athlete. I was a rower, But still.
Speaker 2: Were you a rower or were you crew?
Speaker 9: I was? I was.
Speaker 14: I was a rower as a lightweight rower at Columbia. I was very bad, but my team was very good.
Speaker 9: So there you go.
Speaker 2: Uh were you were? You weren't the one who is yelling like the I.
Speaker 14: Was actually doing the work. I mean not the continents don't do the work. They work very hard, but more metal work there.
Speaker 2: He's one of the great athletic insiders in the business. He's he in Rapaport. Thank you Ian NFL Network the Insiders tonight. That's really offensive. I know. I didn't even bring up Tom Pelisaro yet. Oh come on, yeah, Pela Saro is rangey. I'll get a text from Glazier here, Hey put him in the octagon. Yeah, nobody wants to go in the octagon with Glazier. No, you don't, No, you don't know.
Speaker 5: I can guarantee that he kicked me once when we shot that thing where I was wrestling him. We went through like a almost like a walk through, and he was like, what if I did something like this, And he went and kicked me in the thigh and did it as a joke that he was just kidding, like he wasn't even meaning anything, and it leveled me.
Speaker 2: It put me. I was horizontal. He swept my feet out right from under me. He grabbed me from behind and grab my neck. One time when we were in New York. PAULI was there and then he left. I said, Paula, he actually hurt me. He actually hurt me, screwed up my neck, you know. But he's in there eye and I said, oh, you know. Then he left my larynx. Damn. Yeah, don't mess with the voice. All right, Well, take a break, last call for phone calls. What we learned once in store tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Right after this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 2: Here's an odd topic for you. I'm watching Tropic Thunder last night. Is there a better first half of a movie than Tropic Thunder? Yes? He possibly super Bad? Oh, good call.
Speaker 5: If you're talking about movies that are great fifty percent of the way through. Yes, super Bad is right up there at the top of half of that movie is absolutely hilarious.
Speaker 2: Tropic Thunder is one hundred percent great halfway through. Yes, super Bad, very similar any other movie that comes to mind, Yes, Paul.
Speaker 4: It's a little different. I would say the first twenty minutes of Saving Private Ryan is unbelievable filmmaking, okay, and intense?
Speaker 2: Okay? Is it because it's so great in the first twenty that the rest of the movie can't compare, can't keep up with that. So maybe we're not being fair that it was so great and so much action that no matter what happened in the rest of the movie, it couldn't, you know, stay on the same level.
Speaker 4: It slows down a little bit and they go to the plot. They can't keep up with the action of the first twenty.
Speaker 2: But see Tropic Thunder. It's Ben Stiller's really good in that. My daughter is watching with me and she goes, is that Tom Cruise? And I said, yeah, She goes, what happened to him? I said, No, that's that's you know makeup. Yeah, they made him bold. Yes, I'll give you another one.
Speaker 4: That's I got two Halves movie, Holves Movie, Full Metal Jacket, the war movie. The first half is basic training with the sergeant and he's really intense, and then they go to Vietnam and it's a very different movie. Not that it's not good, but it's different.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know why. It kind of dawned on me that, like, do we have movies that are really good movies and then they're just good movies? Marvin, you got one for me?
Speaker 8: This might be sacrilege, but I think Coming to America the first hour is the funniest hour in the history of cinema. But I think they get into the I'm Looking for My Wife and all that as far as comedy.
Speaker 2: Okay, the first hour, everything's perfect. Lenny and Ford Lauderdale. Hi, Lenny, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 10: Dan?
Speaker 3: I'm a five right, sy right and tipping the scales of three builds. Okay, Hey, got two quickies for you. First off, how about Mike McCaughey and McCarthy going over to the Jets. He's got a relationship with Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, I don't like that.
Speaker 3: And then I also wanted to did you happen to see the the take of Jason Whitlock on Jroyjoy Taylor.
Speaker 2: I know, I'd rather talk about the jetge and McCarthy not going down that road. No, I have no interest in that story.
Speaker 5: Uh, I'm super interested in. It's just not discussing Yeah yeah, yeah, not on the air. I'm like very interested in if I just I don't know that we're gonna spend time on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, twenty minutes from now, we may be talking about the situation at Fox Sports. Yeah, having having been at a network where you know, people were accused of things against the breakdown, Yes, we are no need to be talking about really no, no, no, this day and sports teams, this Dane sports history. Paul, Luckily I have that ready.
Speaker 4: In Hinckley, Illinois, nineteen twenty seven, the Harlem Globetrotters played their first game, had no idea and Pete Rose in nineteen ninety one was out of prison on federal tax charges. Here's one same day, nineteen ninety four, Tanya Harding won the US Figure Skating champions h Tanya. Earlier that day, Nancy Kerrigan withdrew from the US Figure Stating Championship after being attacked the previous day.
Speaker 2: They always go together. Coincident. Nineteen seventy two, the Lakers, they won their thirty third consecutive game. They set the NBA record. They beat the Hawks that day by I think forty four points. Well, there was such a fun team following the Lakers. But I hear I was in Ohio following the Lakers and then they came into Cincinnati. Got to see the Lakers with Wilt and Jerry and the whole crew there. Two thousand and eight, the first two loss team to play for the BCS title and win the title. Two thousand and eight, this team went twelve and two. Marvin Florida, No, LSU beat Ohio State, who threw four touchdown passes for LSU. And it's not Rohan Davy, Marvin, you were gonna go Rohan Davey, Paul Jefferson, No, Oh, Matt Mock, No, Matt Flynn. Ooh yeah, yeah, they won't a national title. That's what it says here. Beat Ohio State. They were twelve and two. Let me see anything else here. Jim in Cincinnati, Hi, Jim.
Speaker 12: Hey, good morning, love the show.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, Jim, Hey, real quick.
Speaker 12: On, you know, swinging back to Saquon Barkley, but I was going back just with the whole MVP hustle and bustle. Early on he was in the mix. Now seems like he's not. And I'm just a little concerned with that because the first almost the first half of the season with the Eagles, they were trying to find themselves and he was really the steadying force for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you can go back to Derrick. Henry was the steadying force for the Ravens as well, and they kind of canceled each other out. I think if Barkley had broken the wreck once again. You got to make it easy for voters sometimes like why do I vote for this guy? Or am I not voting for this guy? Well, this guy you have to vote saquon single season rushing record for the team that's the number two seed. You know you can you'd certainly have a case there. Lamar put up, you know, unprecedented numbers. But is it about numbers or team's success? Because there was a window where the Ravens weren't very good. I thought josh Allen had a consistent, consistently great year, and I think the expectations were lower for him than they were for Lamar. Uh, you know do you factor that in? I would I would give Josh Allen the MVP. I thought that that team played as a team. I think I think Baltimore is a better, far better offensive team than Buffalo. Maybe that doesn't factor in to your voting, and you know, that's just it. It's it's up. You know, it's open to your interpretation. But that's what I like about it. It's your vote on who you think is most valuable. Let's go around the room. What we learn on the program?
Speaker 11: Todd?
Speaker 2: Did you learn anything today? Seaton points out that inside the words Saturday is tird.
Speaker 7: And we're gonna all have a tough time getting past that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Do we just make a T shirt just as Saturday and then emphasize turd? Yeah, that's what I learned today.
Speaker 5: That the word turn isn't such Saturday.
Speaker 2: Because Crappensburg State they play every game on Saturday. Yes they do. They do. Say at two o'clock, mar.
Speaker 8: Alf Marvin cham Gailey, cham Gailey didn't want Randy Moss.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oops, Paul, we took the Bengals off the board.
Speaker 2: Todd, what did I learn today?
Speaker 7: Sometimes we think a bit less of a head coach if they don't physically look like a head coach.
Speaker 2: Speed up the hiring process with express employment professionals, reduce time to hire, cut cost, find the right talent for contract and full time roles. Visit expresspros dot com today transform your hiring process. Our pleasure to serve you. Thanks for the phone calls, emails, tweets, the all around support for Fritzie Seat and Marv Paula yours truly, We'll talk to you tomorrow