Speaker 1: Quest Love Show is a production of iHeartRadio. What Up People?
Speaker 2: June is here and that means it's Black Music Month and that Quest Love Supreme now the Quest Love Show.
Speaker 1: We've taken this month seriously.
Speaker 2: It's our chance to celebrate blat music, document its history, and recognize the impact it continues to have on our culture around the world. Throughout June, we'll be bringing you an episode every day.
Speaker 1: My team and I have gone.
Speaker 2: Back through the archives and pulled together conversations, stories and moments that helped tell a biggest story about black music and the people who shaped it. We also got four brand new Quest Love Show episodes coming your way, spotlighting artists, thinkers, innovators, cultural shifters, revolutionaries from across the spectrum of black music, past, present and future. Thanks for spending you're a part of June with us.
Speaker 1: Happy Black Music Month?
Speaker 3: All right? Yo? What up?
Speaker 1: Sponsor the Low?
Speaker 4: Last week we got into part one of our interview with him and and y'all heard that one.
Speaker 1: Get ready for part two. We go even deep and it's even better. Quest Love Supremes and the House y'all.
Speaker 2: Yep, I asked you initially then we got sidetracked, but can you just briefly talk about what the gospel circuit is like in remember I told you that the whole thing, Like, okay, you're touring with the Winings, what is what is a working musician making with the winings?
Speaker 1: In nineteen eighty eighty one just keep it and tel conditions like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, are y'all in one hotel and the wine is in another one?
Speaker 3: Eighteen were the same.
Speaker 1: There is there a rider.
Speaker 2: I just want to know, like what a working musician makes in the gospel circuit? Like are you playing chess churches? Is it banquet halls? Is the theaters?
Speaker 1: Like take me through? Are you get me a gig? Darmming with the with the Winings? It explained to me the whole process.
Speaker 3: Okay, So the Winings when they came out their record, they had a great manager. They had a couple of great managers, Derek Dirtson was one of them, a couple of other people, and they had writers, you know, down to just like a because these managers managed secular acts. So they had writers, and we were doing mainly theaters, and back at that time they had this thing called the World's Greatest Gospel Show. James Cleveland, mighty clouds, and they were doing arenas. They were doing literal arenas like Cobo Hall or something. And so we did a lot of big, big dates. When we did a church, we felt like, you know, it was beneath us, you know, even church with big because we were used to not doing churches. The Wine has had a thing that they said, we don't want to play churches because we don't want to alienate some people don't want to come to church, and we want everybody to hear our music. So we did a lot of theaters, you know, did a lot of theaters, uh Beacon Theater. We did Radio City, We did a lot of a lot of things. So they had a writer. We all stayed in the hotel. We traveled by Greyhound, bus and van. Every now and then we would we would fly, but we we we traveled. We didn't have no problem loading up in a sixteen passenger you know and hiding down the road. You know. So that was the case. But here's let's let's talk about the money. Thank you. It got strange, It got really weird, got weird. I started off making because I knew they were charging like three fifth thirty five hundred the night. Then they were moving up four thousand dollars that they were moving up the ranks, and they we started off making two fifty a night, and we was like, man, this is great money. Well, somebody told them, like, you know, as you guys make more money, the band is going to make less money. And they took that wrong. So when they went up to forty five hundred, we went down to one seventy five. When they went up to five thousand, we went down to like one hundred. They got down to fifty dollars a night because they were like, hey, hey, you know what else y'all gonna play? Well, who else y'all gonna play for? You know, we don't we the only kind of game in town, you know. And we literally got down to fifty dollars a night. And I was on welfare. I was literally collecting unemployment and having to go out of town. So I go to Oakland. I have to stop off at the unemployment office. I go into I go into KFC right next to the unemployment office. Say hey, y'all looking for anybody, y'all got applications? They say, now, we ain't hiring and not going to in the in the job. Yeah, and they say, okay, cool, I signed, I go back. I beget like my fifty dollars from the Wine's three nights, I got a pluck fifty plus. That wasn't per diem. That your perdaem was in your pay So I'm going wait, wait wait wait wait wait oh wow. It was it was kind of it was it was it was, it was. It was a thing. You know, how did you let it get that? Man?
Speaker 1: Why did why did you guys.
Speaker 3: Let it get to that point?
Speaker 1: Like that was yo?
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm just curious as like you didn't nobody ever say anything like okay, now it's one hundred, that's no.
Speaker 3: No. My drummer, my my, my, one of my best friends in the group at the time, his name was Sandy loved it. He was a great drummer, and he just got your point, said, man, I can't go out for this. I got to get a job. I'm going to give me a job at Chrystler. And we had meetings like guys, can we get more money? And they were at a place where they were so hot. They were like, if you don't want to play, you know somebody else, And that was just the way it was. And they weren't me, and they would just call themselves being business people. And I stayed as long as I physically could. I was making I literally man was on welfare and playing and I just stuck it, hung in there. I never forget we'd do went to California for a month, and I had to pay for my own food. Every now and then they would pay for our food. You know, come on and sit on down. But they only had a few gigs. We probably had seven gigs out there, so fifty times seven is what it was. And I had to eat. So when I went home, I probably went home literally with like one hundred and eighty bucks in my pocket. If yeah what I'm saying. But my thing was, I loved it so much and I thought, at being young and gouble, I'm like, well, this is how it goes. I'm not leaving. This is the best place for me, So it's not gonna be about money. I didn't realize. I was learning it's not about money. When you do this, you got to have a passion. So that's what it was.
Speaker 1: Another question I always wanted to know.
Speaker 2: I'm you know, I grew up in uh uh, you know, a household with at least three thousand records.
Speaker 1: I'm very, very very familiar with the.
Speaker 2: Light label, so I know about the history of Ralph Carmichael a man and whatnot. Could you explain that for our listeners and to me too, because I know very little, Like was like a Detroit label, and like why were why was that the was that the go to? Was that the motown of gospel labels back then?
Speaker 3: It was Andre Crouch made Light Records. Andre Crouch were really good friends and Ralph and invested in Andre's earliest music, you know, and then Andre just blew it up, man, and just he just that's what did it. That's what did it. Andre Crouch built Light Records, and then the Winers went. At that same time, Andre had a little something and they had to kind of part ways. Andre went to Warner Brothers, you know, from there, and so the Winings ran Light Records, and Light Records was a major major force. But it was from La they lived. They were out in Pasadena and somewhere out there, and you know out there that's where Light Records was.
Speaker 1: The Hawkers too. The Hawkers were.
Speaker 3: In the Bay Area and they were on Light Yeah, the first record and all of their records were on Light Records. Yeah, Light was the major lay with that. For Word Records hadn't even come into play yet, you know, Light was the thing. And then Ralph he retired and gave his reins over to another guy. And that's when commission came man, and we salvage because we were making money for Light Records. You know, we was really turning some records off.
Speaker 2: Okay, so now that we're there, can you please tell me just the average creative at least for I'm going on and the go tellus, like your first two records, can you tell me what the creative process is for making those albums?
Speaker 1: As in, who's the alpha that makes the decisions? Who? How do you guys?
Speaker 2: Especially, I mean there's six of you or seven of you, six of you, like, is it really democratic or is it just like what you say goes or what?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: What's the as Fonte would say, sort of the division of labor in creating these records?
Speaker 3: Man, I was good, and I've always been good at delegating, you know, I understood it. So I broke the group up into two pieces because the singers, Carl Mitchell and Keith they were really Mitchell was he was. He was kind of key in learning the music side, but I had a very funk background, so I would divide it up into here's the singers, this is what we do, and then it was Michael Brooks and myself, Me and Mike. Mike was a keyboard player and he was the songwriter, so we would take his songs. He would say this is this, this, this, this, and then we would add the flare to we put the swag on it. Mitchell and I would put the swag on it, and I was It was never about me, you know, running the show. We were just glad that Mike Brooks was such a good songwriter. He was phenomenal. All of them songs back then basically came from him. We didn't even know anything about songwriting. He was teaching us, but we took his songs and we made them as good as they could be. So, you know, we just we understood that level. So I was really a producer from that angle. Mike was the writer, arranger and producer, so we worked well together. You know. We we never saw anything different from Timmy, Jimmy and Terry or or from Babyface in La so we just took it that you know, you work together, you know, whatever you feel, how you feel about that? He said, oh I like that. I say, well, I like what you're doing. So we just did that and it worked, you know what I mean? That was up.
Speaker 4: What was the in terms of stacking you'll recording your background vocals?
Speaker 1: What was that process?
Speaker 3: Like John Yash a good friend of mine, great great engineer. He ended up getting fired off our first record because a lot of.
Speaker 2: Firing going on in the commission, yall was getting people out of there. Cut never heard the word fire so much.
Speaker 3: So here's what we were doing. We heard a different sound from what everybody else heard when it comes to the background. So we took and we stacked you know, each part, you know four four and for and and our backgrounds were more Clark Sisters. One of the songs that we learned our first song.
Speaker 4: When you say real quick, just so when you say four four four are each one of y'all like four of y'all singing the same part, and y'all are tracking four of us.
Speaker 3: Singing and racking. We sing two tracks because it was twenty four track at that time, so we really had to manage you jump. So we were singing the bottom, then we sing the middle. Then sometimes Mitchell Carlin and I would sing the top, or just Mitchell Carlin mitchellul singing the top. So we had six tracks of vocals, but we we had intrigates parts because we were always concentrating on the Clark systems. Our first song we ever learned in my mother's in my mother's living room was lookith it's the plain speed a praise speed rain lood hell me to ze. Yeah. When we sang that and learned that, man, we ran out like we ran a grand We jumped off off the porch. We learned it. So we said, this is how our vocals are going to be. So now we're singing this song. If we have a lead, lord be full, sure they and we're singing it. And sure they need surely we need sure they, we need him na. And when we did that part, we were amazed. But the engineer said, no, you can't have the vocals up that loud. They need to be back here. I said, but they don't sound good back there. We want them up louder because it's like background leads. And we had a thing because nobody was doing it that way. So finally he put him where he wanted him and we just said okay. Cool. I went into the stage manager, I mean the studio manager. I told her. I said, you know, we need to get our masters. She said you leave it. Yeah, and she said why. I said, I didn't want to get him, you know fired, I want you know? He said, well, we think our voice woes sound better up here. He said, who's paying for this? Is he paying for this? We pay? Are you paying? And I said we are. She said, you better grow a pair. I'm gonna teach you how to be a man. Record next week came back. It was a different engineer there and he turned it up wherever we wanted and the commission sound was berthed.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 3: The very next album though, we went back with John and he got it and he was here with.
Speaker 1: The assignment brother, brother Hammond.
Speaker 2: Can you explain the influence and what makes the Clark sisters their sound or their blend, like, what makes it so spe than anyone's form a background blending or whatnot?
Speaker 1: Twinkie fun word Twinky Clark.
Speaker 3: At that time, Twinkie Clark, Twinkie was Stevie to us how she played when she sat down to how she played, how she arranged her harmonies and what she did it was just amazing. And so you have Karen and Derinda and you have you had Denise at that time, and Jackie and Tweinakie was giving out these crazy parts and these crazy chords and it was blowing us all the way. It was amazing. If you go back and listen to it, the recordings weren't that great productionalizing sonically, you know, there's a lot of mistakes that kept going. But if you listen to the heart of Twinkie Clark's arranged, it was just with like that praying spirit. That is an amazing song. That was our north star to say, we want to make people feel like this about our record because at that time we didn't want to sound like the Windings because they were kind of straight ahead, you know, four Tops Temptations, you know, they they were that we wanted to be different. They were that time, go back to go back to go active. Question is no no no no no no no no no no no, just straight.
Speaker 1: So to you to you.
Speaker 2: That was regular, just regular flat like harmony one on one.
Speaker 3: It was one o one.
Speaker 1: My My parents lived for that record.
Speaker 2: So I'm growing up thinking that the Winings are the epicenter of you know, and the absolute force of gospel singing. But for you that was just normalized. And the Clark sisters were top shelf.
Speaker 3: It was as far as being creative, the Clarks were top shelf. As far as the blend the Whinings brothers, there was a blend like no other because they were family. So we took the we took the polished of the Winings, and we took the creativity of the Clark sisters. And that's what commissioned. So if the Winings commission and Clark Sists got together, then they produced us, you know what I'm saying. So that's what you hear, you know. But it was about Twinkie. Twinkie was beast. She was a beast. She was she was amazing, and that's where we got it from.
Speaker 2: So okay, actually, I want to direct this to James because here's the deal. Again, we're not you know, at the top of the show, I explained that when I was in high school it was almost like a gang experience, and I'm at performing arts school and you got like one cat.
Speaker 1: Like Kurt Rosenwinkles into Frank Zappa, So you got to learn his language.
Speaker 2: But then like Chris McBride and Joey Di Francesco are heavy jazz cats, so you got to listen to like anything on Blue Note. And then of course, you know, my partner Triga is hip hop and whatnot. And so there was the fourth category of cats who only lived for Commission. And so you know, like I, even though we didn't go to this same school together, like little John Roberts as a drummer, was how I knew commission. Because the thing is, you know, like I'm thinking, like with my legacy of who my dad was and whatnot'm finally like in a high school situation which I could play like all city jazz band all that stuff. So I'm thinking, like the red carpet is just ready for me and like, you know, for me to get my thing on. And little John Roberts, who's way younger than I was, Like he's like three four years younger. You know this, this little you know, eighth grade runt is playing like an adult and I'm like, wait what and he's little John's let me know, like like.
Speaker 1: You don't know about Commission.
Speaker 2: And I'm realizing, you know, cause again I was team Prince that's that's who. That's who I chose that you know, sprints the time and all that stuff. I wasn't him to commission. And yet all my peers, like all those first generation monster Cats were just like taking every word as like bond so for you, for you, James, like how how much of their work, like was influential to you coming up in your dad's church and whatnot?
Speaker 5: Oh my see, I grew up and my father's a bishop and a Jamaican bishop, which means that we ain't We couldn't do nothing. As my dad said, you count do this, your count do that.
Speaker 1: He had to sneak to listen to commission.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, no, no no. That was the only those are the only records that I could listen to, you know, we I grew up, you know, the records that were in the house where the Andree Crouch and the Hawkens and so forth and so listen to that. But when commission came, it was like this is something new. All my musician buddies at the time that grew up in the church were like, yo, if you you check this out. The very beginning of.
Speaker 1: Going on, it was like what is that?
Speaker 5: So it was like we had something, we had something cool to listen to, you know what I mean, something that was yeah, something that was.
Speaker 1: Explained to me.
Speaker 2: What year did gospel stop really let itself go of? Like the Gospel Quartet, Like when did gospel really let go? Because even now I collect, like I love collecting gospel records that will take that one secular song and turn it into a gospel song like Shalamar second time around, or you know there's a whispers and the beat goes on gospel version.
Speaker 1: There's a Lovely Day that's gospelized.
Speaker 2: You know, there's always that one token song where they like take a secular song and do it.
Speaker 1: But the rest of this stuff is like old time gospel.
Speaker 2: At what point in the gospel world do you not have to feel shame that you're making people dance and not playing the regular gospel time old time you.
Speaker 4: Brought the sunshine maybe right, I mean Clark.
Speaker 5: Sisters, Yeah, what the sunshine?
Speaker 1: I mean that was master Blast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's the first time in which, like.
Speaker 5: I mean, if you go back to Edward Hawker, edwind Hawkins, the Oh Happy Day too, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: So even then, like that's still gospel to me.
Speaker 2: But like, what's the point where, like you know, where you if you take the vocals away, it could be a secular song, Like at at what point does that happen?
Speaker 3: It really took hold with B B and CCS first, I owe you.
Speaker 1: Mean, yes, I got it right. I was thinking that, but I didn't want to say it out loud.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Fred. I'm thinking that's when it really took hold because the people didn't know if there was a love song album. Yeah, you know, and that's when it got popular to actually sing music. Steve Thomas was the was the producer at that time. He was a white girl with a lot of song in heaven.
Speaker 4: He did a lot of Vanessa Williams stuff too.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, so that's what it really kicked in.
Speaker 2: So when you're playing in church, are there any elders ever giving you side eye? Like because even even mine, like I'm not, I didn't. I didn't come from the church per se, but I played drums at my church occasionally, so like you know, in eighty six eighty seven, you know, I might put a little bit of top Villain into whatever we're doing, or play like a run DMC break beat or whatever, and occasionally like an older uncle would give me that look like.
Speaker 1: I know what you're doing. You know you older people didn't know.
Speaker 2: When the kids start on the wop, then they're like, oh, you're playing.
Speaker 1: Secondly, you don't do that like UPLIFD.
Speaker 2: So are you at all ever getting like side eyes if you start referencing a popular baseline, if you start doing not just neeedep or something like in your music.
Speaker 3: Man, we caught the blues with that. Man, we caught the blues with that. We were getting. Man, we got picketed. We got picket at the show. Wait. I wasn't expecting that commission. We were doing a we were doing a convention in Kentucky, I believe Cincinnati, Kentucky, and man, there was they said, Man, we don't want to we don't want to bum you out. But there's a whole bunch of people, about twenty to thirty people out in the front, and they got picket signs saying this music is gonna send you to hell. Oh and I never forgot. I never forgot. It was like a scene out of a movie. Driving up all of a sudden, we in slow motion. You hear some strings playing and you see these people. God, Devil's music, Devil's really and were just sitting there there like what are you doing? But it was still a line of young people waiting to get in. And when we got inside, we played like never before. We weren't really rebellious. We were kind of hurt because we didn't see that like that, but we played anyway, and the kids came in there and they had a great time, and we did have a lot of elders. And people say, I don't understand it. Like one pastor was totally against us, and the only reason he stopped being totally against us is that another pastor had a son that was on drugs that was getting clean because he was listening to our music and he would come to church. He said, I don't know what them boys are doing, but I tell you this, if they can get him to do his job, I ain't mad at it. And it started changing some people around, but it took a long time.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: People was picking in us because we had on blue jeans. We were the first group to ever wear blue jeans on a record, so we was like new addition, and people just thought people wouldn't buy a record because of what we had on that first open they wouldn't even buy it.
Speaker 4: What y'all think the church is keeping is catching up yet now they.
Speaker 3: Okay, everybody, everybody ain't in though.
Speaker 1: That's why I was asking.
Speaker 3: Churches in the Potter's house. We have we have dance ministries, we have youth ministries, and they could do whatever it is as long as it's not sexual looking. They can do any dance. They can whoa, they can do whatever they want to do to anything. Because he encourages, Man, this is current, this is what we're doing. This is nothing wrong with this. We we better offer them something. Somebody else is gonna offer him something. I want to give her something because if they're gonna the pole is gonna offer her something. So you know, let's be smart about these young people. And they're they're with it now. But coming up, man, Eric Robertson is one of my best friends.
Speaker 1: I want tenors.
Speaker 3: Yes, so he I never forget. They told me they said they brought him down to Popados and they said they had a special guest for his birthday, and they brought me in the room. He literally started crying and we stayed friends ever since. But he told the story that really blessed me. He said he hated gospel music because it was he didn't like it, and his mother said, you got to listen to it, but she was praying for something. So one day he was downstairs ironing his clothes and his mother put our record on the on the iron board and he saw that we had closed with like he did, and he looked at it and he played it. He said, I literally started crying. He said, because you guys, you said it. You guys made it cool to do gospels. And that's when the clipped. He and I talked about to this day. That's my guy good Eric's man. That's coming soon, the quest Love Spring.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm I'm mind blowing. I wasn't expecting the picketting.
Speaker 2: I thought, like, you guys broke through the other side and everyone was with it. So it's basically like the black footloose, Like.
Speaker 4: It's always a chicken with a skirt underneath the knees ready to pick it.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, black footloose.
Speaker 2: Well, I also want to know has there ever been musically speaking, how how long would you guys rehearse? And you know, was there ever a pressure to top yourselves as far as the musicality because you know, again some of these songs are straight a hit funk songs. But then like you guys will get on your return to Forever, you know, crazy arrangements at the end thing and you know, so how how how what's the what's the regiment for? Like practicing and coming up with new ideas and whatnot.
Speaker 3: There was a point in two when we were doing the first several set of records, when our budgets were really, really small. What we would do is put twenty hours of practice time in a basement to every four hours of studio time because we didn't have much money.
Speaker 4: So you're in the studio, you can knock it out.
Speaker 3: We knocking it out. And then we was putting fines in place. We ain't had no money, but we was putting fines in place. You know, if you miss it, if you because you had to do a take, you got one tape because we was like, no, we're going to be doing this in one take. If you mess it up, man, that's a five dollar fine, you know, And so the next one we would honestly, but we were on it man, because we would and we loved rehearsing. We didn't really have no jobs, so we loved rehearsing man, and we just saw ourselves in a bit of better place. So we would either be a Michael Brooks's basement, and we were learning. That's where I brought it in Field College. You know, if you go listen to Hide the word on the second album, Okay, but the drummer, I listened to Level forty two and I listened to Phil Collins and them, and uh my drummer was crazy about Phil Collins. So we said, we're gonna put this one party in there that Phil does his times all right, So it said when it looks like thing, you rob boom, and they didn't think instant he would go past the one, so he goes problem instead of going bot, instead of going to the one he would go he said, watch, I'm gonna do this. Boo boo boo, boom stop boom, and and we went into a thing. But we he would do something, then I would do something, or Mark King would do this right here boom boom boom, and this would never do well, Let's do this right here. We were blessed to experiment with music and still keep a pocket. That was the beauty of commission. Man, that's what I love. Wow.
Speaker 1: Wow, you mentioned level forty two.
Speaker 2: I was about to say, what's his name is Basse playing marking?
Speaker 1: Yes, Yes, I definitely see that. Yeah, Erro.
Speaker 4: He wanted to he wanted to ask you what I wanted you to tell the story of recording, writing and recording and running back to you.
Speaker 3: Oh man, it was funny because that's actually just came up about three years ago as a sore spot just came up. And sore spot.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: It was supposed to be in a little movie thing we was talking about doing. And I won't blow people's cover, but I'll just tell you what happened. We were in there and this record we had a we had an artist named Derek Brinkley, you know, and I was going to give this song to him, and they said, well, no, why don't you keep it? So I said to Keith, I said, because it's my personal testimony. And I said, Keith, Man, why don't you sing the song? Because we always wanted to make sure everybody felt more comfortable, you know, like I don't want to seem like I'm doing everything. So I wrote this song, you know, and I said, Keith, would you do it? Keith is more straight lace of all of us. He was very much the straight lace guy, you know, very cool. But he went out there in these streets like we was. We was out there and he said, man, I'm not real comfortable with doing that song. I said, well, I'll go do the demo of it, and you guys kind of listened to it. So what we would do is I the person, would sing the lead, and then we go start making the background parts. So I went in there and I sang the song, and I'm looking at the guys in there, and They're just kind of sitting like this, you know, and and so I'm singing the parts and singing the parts, and finally I put I look in there after I finished, and I put the headphones down, and nobody's, you know, saying, man, great songs that they just sitting me. And so I walked from the microphone to the studio ten feet going past double doors. And when I got in there, everybody was looking at me like this, and I didn't know what to expect. So I just sat down and one of the guys said, good job, man, good job, and I said, okay, cool. So I'm listening to the playback and I turned around to the guys and said, so, guys, let's start putting some backgrounds to it. Let's put some backgrounds to it. And the guy said, I don't think you should put no backgrounds. Here's here's the dirt. There's a little dirt. One of the guys, when I was coming from the vocal booth to the room, said so they all gonna just let him do a solo on this.
Speaker 1: Record, ah man.
Speaker 3: And when I got in there, everybody was off guard. So that was the look. That was the look. And so the rest of the guys told me this literally three years ago. Wowa. What they just told me this three years ago? Wow? And so when I walked in the room, I walked in and the person said, hey, man, you should just go ahead and do it yourself. And I said, no, man, I don't want nobody thinking I'm trying to do no no solo or nothing like that. They said, Manna, you're good. The guys were trying to process what they just dealt with.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: So they sat there and what you hear is the demo is the actual song itself. Today.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: We were still here's the thing. We were still regular dudes. We were still people with insecurities. We were people. We were guys, boys trying to be raising, trying to turn into men. We had idiosyncrasies, we had group issues. So when I see something like The Temptation Story, which is one of my favorite movies of all time, you know, I feel that pain. When I see that fire heart beats, I feel that pain. When I see the Jackson's I see a new addition. Man, we all went through that. It's nothing different in gospel. People have desires and this, that and the other. We just didn't cuss each other a fight, but man, it was still the same drama, you know what I mean, And that was one of them moments.
Speaker 2: Well, James and I are from the Tri State area, so the gospel station I always listened to my parents went full Christian on me, like around mid eighties, and there was a station called WZZB, of which.
Speaker 1: You know, you can hear some whinings.
Speaker 2: But then it would be like the people today, Sandy Patty, Michael W. Smith or you know, yeah, all those groups Twilight Paris. Like, were you guys ever accepted in the sort of white man extreme contemporary Christian set or were you guys strictly just like on your side of the fence, or you know, was there mixing, you know, would they have not on festivals?
Speaker 1: Or churches would invite you guys or like brilliant question.
Speaker 3: We did have a few churches. So if we did thirty gigs a year, you know, two of them would be a white church or a big white festival, you know, a big white festival. The guy that brought Amy Grant and Michael W. Smith to town, his name was Art. He would try to get us in events because he was just a really good friend in him and Derek Dirkson. Derek was trying to cross us over to let people see what we did. But we didn't do a lot of them, but we had enough. You know festivals. Festivals were big back then, so we would go on stage, you know, right before Petra or right before you know striper, you.
Speaker 1: Know, would he try to kill him? Would try to kill him?
Speaker 3: We was I think I saw a picture the other day somebody sent me something. I'm probably post it in a day or so where we were doing the monument watch it's called I forgot what it was called. But it was a big freedom fest and it's one of the largest white festivals around and they brought us there. It looks like the crowd is sitting on us because we were singing. That's when Marvin Sap was in the group. He had just got in the group. But the reality was it was one hundred and eighteen degrees and people were falling out. They told everybody sit down for every group, no matter who it was, because people were falling out and they was taking people away and it had to be like the mall was filled. So it probably was about thirty thousand people on the lawn, you know. So you know, I just saw that the other day and I'm probably posted in a day or so. But yeah, we had a decent fear, but we basically stayed on our side the fence.
Speaker 2: I want to get to his last down with Commission at least to see what the difference and starting the band ten years ago in eighty four eighty five, and what prompted to the initial split from the group in ninety four with Matters of the Heart.
Speaker 1: Could you just talk about the time period.
Speaker 3: The first record after the split was Number seven. That was the first record. Okay. What ended up happening was Michael Brooks ended up getting a really good deal with PolyGram Raina Bundy and PolyGram in New York, and she made him her staff producer, and you know, he was kind of a and R director and he was still with us, but he was really really busy doing that, and he reached out to Keith and said, hey, man, we'll do a solo record on you. And Benson Records passed on Keith's solo deal. They gave him an option to do it. They said, no, we invested in commission. We don't think you should be doing that. Well, we had something in our contract to say first right and refusal. If you pass, it's hit. Well, Keith went on ahead and signed with Brooks under his production company with Rayner PolyGram and it's called Election Records was the name of the record company they ended up. Benson got really mad. Benson Records got really mad. So they came to me and said, he can't stay in this group. If this is gonna happen, y'all need to get him out, and this, that and the other. So the record company basically made us split and said, well, man, you can't be a part of us if you going to do that, And so him and Mike went their way. So now the whole record from number seven and then Matters of the Heart is all in my hands to produce. And I brought Mitchell on because that was my boy, and he had Mitchell had an amazing sound. He understood, you know, flavor. He understood he had a flavor too, So that I'm learning that's Mitchell and Parks, but that's our groove behind it. But that's their pin, you know. Ordinary just won't do Mitchell and Parks some of the greatest songs they had, they just had that that thing, but we had the music behind So number seven, you know, I brought in my boy Bernard, right, we did King of Glory, we did I Can't Live Without You.
Speaker 1: And yes, yes.
Speaker 3: He stayed with me, hung out with me, and me and him was like that and he so if you listen to King of Glory, you will hear me and Banar, you know. And then you listen to I Can't Live Without You, you hear me and Banard, my first solo record. I came to Jesus with the flying bannbro Me and Banar grace for me every day, Me and Banar. And then Bernard went and got his record deal from another record company and he moved on. So that was what that was, so our sound. I was able to take the funk that was always in me and drive it and said, this is what we're gonna do. And then we got to uh, we got a little bit more polished because we were we got to matters of the heart and we wanted to sound a little older. So then I got with my boy Chucky Booker, and we did you know, love is the Way, and we did you can always come Home with run DMC, and we just we experimented with great music. So we had CCM sound, we had that funk Chucky Booker sound, and then we had that commission funk in the middle of there something. So that was kind of how that was birthed. Yeah, and that was my last record. That was my last record.
Speaker 4: And then after that, that was when you did Radicals for Christ for Christ my last record.
Speaker 3: And we had another split at that point in time, and really and I thought, I was I was gonna get rid of the other guys and we're gonna be me. You know, I'm I'm being good with the record company, and you know, it is what it is. Which one of you was going, I'm not leaving you I've already proven myself. I'm the golden job. They loved the records it's selling. And we had a meeting one time and they said this. They brought a lot of different things that wasn't true. And we sat down with a pastor and I'm like, okay, one of you, somebody's leaving. It ain't gonna be me. We hear no, I'm not moving. And somebody read I won't say which one it was. He said, read the bottom line. And he said, because the pastor said, I don't see anything wrong here. There's nothing out of order to seat her in place. Everything that you guys are saying, I don't see it. What's the bottom line? And he said, we do not believe. God called Fred to be the leader of our group. And it took all the air out of me because I picked. I handpicked the guy that was reading it. And I sat back in my chair and I went through all the emotions right there, and then I told I said give me a week, and I went back to my little spot, my little student, and I went to everywhere in the Bible in the New Testament that talked about belief, and the main scripture was Jesus was in his own town, preaching to his own people, and they said, who does this guy think he is? Don't we know his sisters and them? Who you think? Where do you get all this knowledge from? And he said he marveled at their unbelief. And then this was the thing that made me give it up. He said, many mighty miracles he could not do because of their unbelief. And I closed the Bible. I said, I can get these guys ten Grammys. They all have Rose Royce's Mentley's and they won't believe it's me. So I'm out. And I just handed everything over. I said, y'all can have it, and I went into a wilderness. I did not know what I was going to do. I went into a depression. We sang one more year, and then I had to figure out what I was going to do.
Speaker 4: And this is ninety ninety four.
Speaker 3: And that's when I heard started a choir, and I was like, now I'm gonna keep it one hundred, you know, and I don't, you know, only I gotta keep it careful because I don't want to get canceled. You know. I didn't care for choirs for the persona that it carried At the time, and that's what's all I'm gonna tell you, dude, you know, and I didn't. I didn't care for it, you know. I didn't care for what people looked at choirs. And I saw Kirk on a show, and I saw David Man. I saw a big day Dalen, Uh my boy, Dalen, I saw and they was with it. And so then I knew John p Key. So I started listening to John. And John was thugging. I knew John me I helped him get his first deal, and so I started listening. I started listening to show up like for four months straight, and I'm hearing this hard driving thing, and I'm like, I can do this. I can do this. So I was friends with Billy Steele, so I paid attention to sounds of blackness because at that point, uh, Jimmy Terry just killed the game, which sounds of blackness. So I'm seeing this transformation and I'm going into it, and I finally I come up with r f C. I said, this is gonna be our flavor. We're gonna do this. We're gonna do praising worship. And nobody knew what praising worship was at that time. Praising worship is just how you say the lyrics you're saying. So when people are saying I've been down, boom and I'm gonna get back up, they were singing where they were in life. They were singing, baby, got need a pair of shoes, even got a light built do Because this is my problem. I'm gonna turn over the Lord. He'll work it out. But I started lifting the Lord up. So I'm doing this beat, and I got my MPC and I got all my cards and load the samples up and I'm doing this one beat boom stop boom, boomtop boom boom, and I stopped the sample. And you know how an NBC the sample would go over.
Speaker 1: Shot?
Speaker 3: Did you hit it again? To do shop, to read, to read too glow? And that's how it started. Wow, it changed into a whole thing, you know. So I just took praise and worship that white people were doing, brought it over to the Black church. And I told I tell white people and says, you guys cook string beans and it still has a snap in it. We don't like that. Like our stuff to be all those bread. It needs to be wilted, turkey leg in there, and it needs to have not a nutrient around, taste a rival. I don't want to taste I'll see none of that fiber. This, this shouldn't be no good. So that's what my praise of worship was. It was we just took their stuff that was neat and we just put some turkey leg in there.
Speaker 2: It was such an education, especially in watching with you and Kirk doing versus together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and going through you know, going through your history.
Speaker 2: How does it feel where now like contemporary sycul acts be it Diddy Snoo Dogg did a gospel record, like, how does it feel to be embraced by that community to whom that you know, maybe ten twenty years ago, I think maybe the most radical thing I saw thirty forty years ago was maybe like Marie White singing with a gospel act. But you know, now it's very commonplace, Like how does it feel to get embraced by.
Speaker 1: The world?
Speaker 3: Respect feels good. Respect just feels good. And that's all we ever wanted was respect, you know, to be treated like we're real musicians. We're not church musicians. We're real musicians who made a choice to sing church stuff. And now that's what it is. So I can look at you. I can look at the roots. I can pay attention. I watched you know, you guys. I remember when you guys went on and got the gig we all talked about. That was stuff about that we talked about. I paid attention to the sound that came out of Philadelphia music, soul childs. Now we just embraced each other because you know, at the end of the day, each every one of us on here, our brothers and sisters, we're a family of music. First what we talk about, but it's hip hop gos. That's just something we choose to have a conversation about. But first and foremost, we all have the passion of the beat, the drum, the bass, the keys, the sound, the lyric And now we can have those conversations with each other and we respect them. Like I said, my brother, we're in here right now preparing for Ricky, Bobby, Rod, Johnny and Mike were preparing for them right now. All of our gear is getting ready to go out. And when I go and see them, I love them and we just we hug up, we dap up, and we just respect each other. You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I really can't wait for this.
Speaker 2: For me, This education is important because you know, James, James.
Speaker 1: Gonna attest to this.
Speaker 2: Especially in the last two years, I've been like really catching up on a lot of things that I've missed and wasn't able. You know, like the quarantine period that we're now is a slow down period where you know, we get time to ourselves and really I get to catch up on books and things and music that I otherwise wouldn't have caught up on because I'm working so much. And I was, you know when when Laias said that you wanted to do Quest Love Supreme, I was, you know, I I thank God because I didn't want to be the only person in life who listened to Crash Cuts more than I've listened to.
Speaker 3: You know, man cut Man happening to do Yeah today my birthday.
Speaker 1: So I thank you for this, man, you know, I truly thank you.
Speaker 2: Almost in closing, I just want to know, well, in the aftermath of the pandemic, how has your life changed and how has the circuit, at least your life of music changed since March of twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Because he's about to go on tour allegedly.
Speaker 3: Yeah We're about to do has A Kira, who was one of my best but good friends. We're hitting the roads, k marvels at myself, Israel Holden, hitting the road, March Festival, the praise to it. But you know what, man, it's weird because streaming has killed us. Streaming really has it the church. I mean, here's the thing. Our people are just starting to get on streaming this year.
Speaker 4: They're just starting no, no, no, he's saying the yeah.
Speaker 3: Because that's why choice. So they couldn't go nowhere listening, so on their refrigerators, on their computers listening. They discovered Pandora, they discovered Spotify, you know what I'm saying. So they're they're listening. Now. Here's the thing. It's kind of a cruel joke. And it's not God's fault, but it feels like a cruel joke because I still have so much music in me to create, but there's no real outlet. Like I just did a record, man, I just did a record with this was this company called Fennis and I put it out. It's called Sunday Morning Fred and it's it's on Apple Music right now. But and it's one of the leading black streaming records out there. And I'm not on a major label. But it's not saying nothing because I'm streaming like seven thousand, like thirty six thousand copies of week streams a week on this new record, and that's not really that good. It's not really financially is like man, I put a lot of money into it to make it happen. And so on my Facebook page, I got a whole I got the whole concert. I got the whole concert. I did it in my warehouse. And it's a throwback of old Fred. It's pages is the life for it. It's that vibe and a man. Gospel is in a tunnel because R and B died. And I tell everybody that when R and B die, I'm talking about LTD, I'm talking about time. I'm talking about Anita and Luthor. When we could listen to them, we were What made commission happen is because you can listen to something like like you said, man, your father said, you can listen to them. And we gave you the time, We gave you some prince, We gave you these people because we had something to lean on. Well, now those people are gone, that that music is gone. It's nothing new coming out therefore, and gospel has gone back to traditional or to Maverick. Maverick is the white version of Black gospel and sabric City. Maverick City is the new praise of worship. It's the hot It's the hottest praise of worship company out there lives. And when I tell you, they got some amazing artists. But what it is is a lot of the young people now have gone over there and they've taken the sound of black music and they've made it less black. Okay, you have to go research it. I tell you it's people like chander More. I mean, I tell you, this guy is amazing. But what they're doing is they're creating a new space for these guys to write and to do their things. So I can't be mad at I'm never gonna be mad at somebody doing their thing. Maverick is the hottest thing going Maverick City. But I can do Maverick because I'm too. I'm too so I don't have that thing, and uh man, check it out, check it out.
Speaker 1: So you're saying, right now, there's really not there's really not a space.
Speaker 2: For you to be creative and release product and have it be monetarily worth it. So would you Fante say the sort of where you were in like two thousand and three, like trying to figure out where he's saying, this is where you were in two thousand and three, like when you start a little brother and try to figure out I mean now, I would assume now in twenty twenty two, twenty years later, the lame that you're in is rather lucrative.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, yeah, now it makes sense.
Speaker 3: But at the time, the beauty of what I did that a lot of my counterparts didn't do back in the commission days is I really felt God told me to just keep putting music out, even though I wasn't in the best record company position, even though they were making the money and I wasn't. I kept hearing them saying, just keep putting music out, keep putting it out, and my guys were saying, rightfully, I'm not gonna let them pip me. I'm out the game before you pit me. I'm gonna lead. But I kept making the music. Now my catalog is what it is Spotify. I did twenty two million streams this year. That's Spotify alone, Pandora plus this plus that, and my catalog is burning through like crazy. So people want to keep me where they met me. Though, I don't want you to evolve. They don't want you to like I've reached Frankie Beverley's status, retreated, I receive.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna make you know. I'm gonna make I will make a suggestion. I'm putting this out this on q les. I'm saying this. This needs to happen because I think I think I see a lame for you, brother, Fred, if I may, if I okay, listen, this is the same thing that you know that Rick James did. Like when you have the veteran act being produced by the younger producers. So Rick James when he produced The Temptations a mirror when he produced Al Green.
Speaker 1: I think your next James as absolutely yeah, both of y'all y'all did Al Green.
Speaker 4: I think your next project, Fred, I think you should be produced by Devin Morrison. Oh, like when I'm talking about I don't know if you know him. I don't know if you're knowing, But Devin Morris is a singer. He's a singer producer out of He's from out of Florida, but he's based in I think La now, Devin is when I tell you a student of commission. When I when I found out you were coming on the show, I reached out to him. I was like, Devin, like, I know commission, but like I'm not I'm not a church dude, so I need.
Speaker 1: To know you know what I mean. He made me a.
Speaker 4: Playlist of like his favorite jokes. He was like, all right, this is what you need. These are the joints, these are the producers, like he knows your whole thing, and ye'all said, I'll see you the playlist. And when I listened to the playlist, I was like, oh my god, this is Devin's DNA, Like this is he is a student and a student of your music and loves you, bro, like I think y'all can kill something like for real.
Speaker 3: That's the beauty of it to work with my newest these young cats. I love working with him, you know, I love working with him. So I'm down, man.
Speaker 4: I will link y'all up, straight up and down like Batmans.
Speaker 3: Happened sometimes.
Speaker 1: Wait, James, is there anything right?
Speaker 5: Weave heavens over here, so you know, man, it's it's it's just so much music. I just got to tell you how much of an influence you've had on my life musically, and I just want to thank you for that. I don't know if you remember we met my brother Marvin mcquittie introduced us when you came to Philly. This is this is just back rest in peace my brother.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But just I just I just got to say thank you man, thank you for the music, thank you for for who you are.
Speaker 4: That's all right up and down for real, for real.
Speaker 3: I appreciate you all, and I this night was special to me. I have not done a zoom this long listen. I would have been checked out the whole long time ago because I'll be okay, we just talked about everything else. But when you get into the history and you get into the music cology of it all, Man, you guys are amazing. Tonight was amazing. Quest Man, you don't understand. I really am a fan and I am a fan.
Speaker 2: I really thank you and I received that. Thank you so much for for doing this for us. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Thank you Nah for yo real quick, Fred, do I have do I have permission? Can I get your number from errow and I'll link you? Okay, I'll do that.
Speaker 3: Quest. I don't mess with people when I go places. If they don't really recognize me. I'm the kind of person that are staying with my family. And I'm cool, you know, because sometimes you meet a start and they don't know you today, they know you tomorrow. They know you when you ain't in front of people, and I don't know other people. You and I met one time. Oh no, we were no, no, no, it wasn't bad. It was the Grammys. We was at the Grammys and I was behind you. Was in l A and I was behind you, and somebody was kind of they were they were like messing with your tickets or something, you know, And it was you and your mom you a were together, and so I said, hey, hey, bro, you're good. And you turned around and said hold on second, man, And and so the girl I was with was like, don't bother, don't I said, I think he's having some problems up there. And I said, I'm I believe in him enough to try one more time. You got free and I got free. I walked up to you and I said, hey, man, I just want to tell you I'm a fan. My name is fred HAMMT And man, you embraced me with the biggest hull.
Speaker 1: You said the name he look.
Speaker 3: Went. It was always like snap, oh yeah, okay, he said, and he said, this is my mom and we hugged and this that and other we talked and that, yeah, did induce you to the person I was with. And man, that that made my day because I didn't really walk up to a whole bunch of people that night. I'm not that dude to walk up and so yo ho, what's that? Man? You don't know me. I don't know you. That's right, But man, you were too close. We were in the tunnel on our way. You were too close for me not to say something. His quests love man, I'm like, man, let me just talk to my man for a minute. It was nervous that first one, like a willow tree was growing over because shade was brother.
Speaker 2: I didn't get you on site, but definitely your name holds holy because if there's anyone who made me go in the basement and rehearse endlessly to keep up with the cats that was listening to Commission, it was you.
Speaker 5: You.
Speaker 3: Thank you you.
Speaker 2: And you know I kept it to my dad like my dad make me go in the basement rehearse. But you know that was from like eight to thirteen.
Speaker 1: But definitely. Once I got to high school, you.
Speaker 2: Were definitely the spark that really really brought my musicianship out.
Speaker 1: Brother, and I thank you for that. Thank you.
Speaker 3: I'll say this and I'll be done. You guys, when you do stuff like this, you add validity to who we are as God's artists. You guys did something and y'all mentioned my name in the middle of one of these two three hour shows, and my people listen to it, and they my guy sent me about five people said yo, man, Chris Love said your name, but they talked about you, and they marked the spot go to this spot and you can hear it. And I did it and I said it there and man, it brought a smile to my face. It's not like somebody sent me something. They said and I said, oh yeah. When they sent it to me, I wanted to just know because of how I feel about you, I feel about your proof, how I feel about your accomplishments and everything that you guys are doing. I just wanted to hear that, and it was it was validation to me. It's a respect and you guys had such nice things to say. And whoever the guest was on that time, they were talking nice about it as well. So I just want to tell you, man, when you guys do this to us, it's a blessing. Man, trust me, we're listening.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Sugar, Steve about to win that, and and they and are important.
Speaker 1: And and paid Bill and our special guest.
Speaker 5: James James soon to come as a quest guests.
Speaker 2: The episode soon. Thank you so much for doing us for us and we appreciate it. This isus Love Love Supreme. We will see you on the next around.
Speaker 1: Thank you, West. Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.