Speaker 1: You with you boys?
Speaker 2: Then and Read from the God's Country podcast.
Speaker 1: What's Up You're off in God's Country with You Boys?
Speaker 2: Dan and Read isbel also known as the Brothers Hunt, where we take a weekly drive in their section of country music and the great outdoors, those things that go together like a Marlborough red and a lip of skull. Or have you some cowboys? Brought to you by me teacher? Oh and hit it Ray still still sponsoring the show, now Baby to call us. Thanks for still sponsoring the show. Now Baby, come on our podcast and we will give you a pair of boots, but you better have a record deal or something. We can't shoot me COSI co spints man the show now by.
Speaker 1: Man getting a lot of praise for these Caymans.
Speaker 2: The Caymans still got the Lizzies. I was gonna wear the other ones today, but they're kind of the same shirt, our same color as my shirt.
Speaker 1: Can't be too matchy, so don't go MATCHI matchy on them. Cody Jinks awesome Beard, awesome songs.
Speaker 2: Fish Guy, big fish guy, I mean I'm not literally a big fish guy loves ketchpig fish.
Speaker 1: I'm not. I don't. It took me a minute to understand the tank conversation that he was having. Yeah, do you know more about that than I do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's calling it's almost like a pawd, like a like a stock tank pond that he that he's got.
Speaker 1: He's got a big small pant pond, feeder ponds.
Speaker 2: Pretty much got and he he said one of them was an acre one of about three acres, which is I mean, in most cases those are ponds that it's not like a literal tank sitting in his backyard. So he's got what he says, bluegill and crappie in one and then his big bass in the other and he feeds his big bass and that's what we were talking about, I think.
Speaker 1: And then they all kind of go to the thirty acre, I think.
Speaker 2: I think as he fishes out the thirty acre, he'll just kind of stock that the big the big lake with his But I mean that's some some real like, Yeah, he gets into fish.
Speaker 1: It's fun to listen to.
Speaker 2: It's fun talking to a guy that like knows the lingo too, that's talking about spinner baits and bait casters and no, he knew.
Speaker 1: The guys true fisherman ain't no doubt. He's also a true artist that is traveling all over the place playing his music, and he's really good.
Speaker 2: He's got his dropping another album seven to twenty five. In my Blood tour starts five to twenty nine. Cowboys playing Franklin Theater. I think we're gonna try to go, and think he's gonna put us on the list for that one. That'll be sharp. I've never been to that place, never been. I've never been to that the first bank. I've never seen the wait, is it the Franklin Theater or the first bank? It's the first bank, Amphitheater, the big rock quarry thing, oh over there by sixty forty Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, all we got that place is jam up. Yeah, I've never been.
Speaker 2: It is so nice. But just man, what an awesome hang. I love having people on here that we don't know. He opened up for Luke last year on that stadium tour and watched some of his stuff and watched them of his show back then. Just a real just a real dude, real artist things about his life and and man has a huge following.
Speaker 1: Huge and it's from the ground floor up, which is uh, extremely sustainable for years to come. That's right.
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks for listening to us, thanks for watching us on YouTube, but thanks for following along. Hey, keep the five stars ratings coming, even if you got a slacking on that, even if you're if you're not gonna leave us a roast. It's it's super simple to hit the five star and give us a rating. It really helps. It helps us feed our babies. It helps us keep the lights on and the place and keep the lights on the Tacoba sign that they sponsor us in the God's Country time behind us.
Speaker 1: It will help the show go a long way.
Speaker 2: This is a funny roast. I just went down it real quick. I smell it. The title of it. Oh oh, is dinner done?
Speaker 1: I think so?
Speaker 2: We just left over plate of roast out of the microphce. You know what, man, I gotta say this about now. Guy Ray hit me with it one more time, ding he.
Speaker 1: Said the other day. He's like, hey, man, uh, you kind of got got Ray.
Speaker 2: Come out here, Come on out here, man, here, come on out, Ray, springing out, springing spring. I don't know if you've ever seen you guys, come here, come here. Just look at the camera, which on every one you're supposed to New guy Rayu got Ray said the other day.
Speaker 1: He said, uh a, man. He's like, I'm sorry if I made you mad with those sounds. And I was like, what he's like. He was like, I could just tell like you're kind of tired of the old sounds. I was like, oh, dude, I'm so sorry. Man, I said, dude, I'm a total jerk. It was a It was a bit. I was just kidding. The sounds are fine. He was like, I'll find some new sounds.
Speaker 2: So that was one of the new sounds, wasn't it right.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I didn't mean it.
Speaker 2: I love you from the bottom of my heart, from the bottom of my takovis.
Speaker 1: That's one of the new sounds here. Okay, the roast is done, all right. The title of this roast, this baritone can be hard from a G corner. Yeah, he really goes in on me on this one. I don't know what it is. You're easy to go in, man. Sometimes you shouldn't chime in with harmonies. Let the guests do their thing. Reads all right on tenor, but dag on Dan struggles to find that baritone. God forbid you stuck it under the lead. Anyway, This is my favorite podcast, and I found a lot of artists that I love because of y'all. Baritone could be hard. I feel like I'm a pure baritone.
Speaker 2: Where else would you stackle baritone under the lead. I mean, you're gonna stack a baritone on top.
Speaker 1: Don't come at me with things I know more about than you hit me with a baritone. It took you a minute to find that. Well, man, hear it? Try again? Well, okay, wrap it up. Hey, thanks, We love y'all. Five stars, keep them coming, and we're gonna quit pop pop. It's easy review it. I know right now you're thinking, I've listened to this and I haven't left a review. Go right now, man, Just do it, bron just do it, dude, Come on, man, come on Manes. Shout out to new guy Ray for the microwave sound. They love you, Love you.
Speaker 2: Cody Jinks, he's he's a boss. Yep, you're gonna love the podcast. We're cool piece to.
Speaker 1: Have a Turkey episode.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: We got a bass catching multi platinum singer, songwriting dadd and of two toured with some of the biggest names and music including our boy LC Luke Coombs, a Texan. We've got mister Cody Jinx on The God's Country Podcast today. Best boots that have walked through the door by far, ain't no doubt start And we've had we've had some good boots and have good good covids come through the door.
Speaker 4: But those are sharp, thank you. Yeah, we had we had figured out. I'd finally figured out. I told you guys, I think they're called piro ruku pierro rucus.
Speaker 1: The fish. Have to look that up.
Speaker 4: And uh, they're really cool. Always get they're not old. They just look like that.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if I've ever seen a pair of fish boots same what ore the fish?
Speaker 1: But what are the fishes out there that they make? They do shark boots?
Speaker 4: I thought, yeah they do. No, I don't think they do shark anymore. I think they'd.
Speaker 1: Be I think leicky, greasy.
Speaker 5: I think it would be like it.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: We want need to like get a fact check checker because because maybe because elephant, I think you can't do anymore.
Speaker 5: And maybe shark.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I feel like there were shark.
Speaker 5: But at one time, I think you're right. He got me know, I think you're right.
Speaker 1: Hey, wait, let's go back to the Watch conversation. This is this Wait, what are you gonna say?
Speaker 4: I was actually gonna say, I didn't say this before we turned.
Speaker 1: The the red light came on. The red light came on. You said, your boy, Elsie. Uh, he he's the reason I became a Watch guy.
Speaker 2: I was about to say, you can't hang out with that guy and not become kind of on a way smaller scale for at.
Speaker 1: Least I understanding for it. At first when he started doing the want when he was watching, I was like, that's some rich that that's that's above my style. But then after he explained, I was like, Okay, I'm comment in.
Speaker 4: You want to you want to hear a lovely story about that guy like I did a I did a tour with him last year. We did some stadiums and it was towards the end of the tour and I came home. Uh, my father in law passed and uh, I came home and loaded my family on the tour bus, took him to Houston. We were playing the stadium, the football Stadium in Houston with Luke. Two days after my father and I'd got my my, my my wife, my mother in law. I put him on my bus. I was like, we got to get.
Speaker 5: Out of here.
Speaker 1: You have to take them with you can't leave them.
Speaker 5: At that point, I was like, I gotta go to work anyway.
Speaker 4: That show two days after, Luke gives for a tour present for UH for you know, it was just so cool, got me a really nice rolex and so intends to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it was just the swiftest thing.
Speaker 5: It.
Speaker 1: I choked up. It was beautiful.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's a sweet guy and that's what we were talking. And I didn't mean to become a watch guy. And then I'm wearing a piece that my wife got for me for our twentieth anniversary.
Speaker 2: So an emerald piece for the the connoisseur. Yeah, it's gorgeous that it's.
Speaker 4: An Emerald brightling and I wear it all the time. And actually we just did cover shot UH for the new record and it's it's.
Speaker 5: In there, It's on there was you know. I was like, man, that's a that's.
Speaker 1: A cool thing to do. Yeah, and it's I tell you where he gets He got me. It was like, you know, like I was like, well, I'm more interested in like guitars or maybe square body chevrolets, you know what. I mean, and he was like, oh, you're gonna You're gonna put that on your son when he's twenty one and turns twenty one he's at his wedding day and I was like, man, good point. He kind of he kind of got me going with that. And then once he started talking about the history of it, and he's like, well, how cool would it be? You know when Bucker boone is you can look back on all these pictures of all these things you've done and all these places you've been, and you were going, hey man, that little watch is to signify that I was thinking about you the entire time I was doing that stuff. Happy wedding, president or whatever. You know it. That's a good sale to the wife to keep buying them too, for sure. You know, I'm saying that's going to work once it's over.
Speaker 5: One time.
Speaker 1: Everything everything I buys for my kids shotgun that.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: One thing about the watch thing, it's my best buddy in his band has a very nice watch. So while they were about to walk on stage, he was like, hey man, this is can you wear this? I don't want to wear it at while I'm playing it so lible to fly off, you know, And I was like, oh yees, So I just grabbed it, popped it on my right wrist. Well, I had my watch on my left wrist, so I'm double watching now, right. So we watched a couple songs of Luke. We know the guy, We've seen the show a thousand times. We love him. Well, let's go eat some crawls. Let's go eat some crawfish. We'll catch him after the thing right here, So we slide out. We're heading to eat crawfest at jazz Fest, and which turned out to be some of the best crawfish I've ever happened. You ever played jazz Fest New Orleans? No super cool New Orleans. We had entertained it at one point.
Speaker 4: There had been in I think an offer. Perhaps it never panned out, gotcha.
Speaker 1: But no. Okay, So as I'm walking, as we're walking to get to grab our crawfish and chocolate ice cream, we are not the same time. But you know what I'm saying. If you did the crawfish and chocolate, it's amazing. As we're walking, this guy passes, you know, because it's a very tight quarter. So he's slide by me and I hear him whisper as he goes by me. What a douche, And I was like, did you hear ray laugh? Did he laugh in there? And I was like, does that get a gobble? Well, I don't know, na, that'll probably pass. So so as he passes me, I'm like, yeah, I wonder who that guy was talking to. And I was like, well, he was real close to me. Was he talking to me?
Speaker 2: And I turned around like to kind of check him or whatever. And by the time I turned around, he was already kind of sliding through the crowd, you know, because it was a giant crowd.
Speaker 1: And I turned back around. I was like, he wasn't talking to me. I was like, I'm not.
Speaker 2: And then I remembered I had two watches on, and I was like, yep, he was definitely talking to me. And I was a douche like if you don't understand the.
Speaker 1: And then I was like, wait, no, this is my my buddies. You can't even and I was like and I just kept on walking. It's pretty great.
Speaker 2: So if you wear two watches and you get caught a douche, turns out you actually are one the the guy. We told that story, and somebody told us that one of the guys on shark tanks or shark tank.
Speaker 1: What's it called shark tanks?
Speaker 2: Shark Tank is a huge watch guy, and he wears two watches because he's like, I have so many that if I don't wear two of them, I'll never wear.
Speaker 1: M all equal. In the words of our friend Aaron Watson, he would be the spokesperson for some receive Cody.
Speaker 2: We do a thing we call what you mad At. It's not like we have a song introing it or anything.
Speaker 1: What you mad at? Just tell us what it is. What you're mad at? Is it you in the Lost Kids mind? Be your boss man, well your neighbor's cat.
Speaker 2: Just tell us what mad.
Speaker 1: That song is called watch mad At? How long we got What's you mad at?
Speaker 5: Cody? Here?
Speaker 1: You want us to go, Yeah, we can go. You know, I'm gonna or be glad at something, whatever you want to do.
Speaker 4: I am all of the above. I have things that I'm that i I'm mad at. I have things that I'm glad about. I am I'm probably at this point I am more.
Speaker 5: Glad than mad because.
Speaker 4: Typically at this point during a record making process, we would be like, you know, like a month or two behind we're ahead of schedule nice, which never happens ever. I mean like everything's been on time or early, including vinyl pressings.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 4: We just approve those. We just got artwork. Like everything is moving along with the most times I would be irritated as.
Speaker 1: Hell right now in the in the process, during the process, you know.
Speaker 4: So I'm I'm, I'm you know what, I'm just gonna stay with the glad things. I'm gonna stay with the glad thing. More to be glad about, though, What about you, guys?
Speaker 1: Tell me I don't know, I don't really have anything you guys.
Speaker 2: Uh, I'm pretty much. I'm pretty glad. My little girl turned three yesterday. We spent the Yeah, I've been pretty glad. Let's talk about that.
Speaker 1: We spent.
Speaker 2: We spent a few days out of Dollywood, Dolly and bro. Let me tell you cheat code at Dollywood. I've never been. I went a long time ago.
Speaker 1: But if you've taking your kids, this is your first time taking your kids.
Speaker 5: All.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I went when I was like in high school or something. But yeah, if you if you planted around a little bit of rain, cheat code there.
Speaker 1: We literally didn't wait in the line at all.
Speaker 2: Some of the some of the rides we had them like most of the part we had to ourselves. You just pun showed them and bro, you just walked around wherever you went, wanted to go, and whatever you wanted to ride.
Speaker 1: And we had a ball.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 2: Uh, my little girl turned three. There were all these like kid rides. My little two year old, he's almost two. He was shorter than the minimum required high if we just we just kind of packed him around and told her. But it was his birthday and everybody let him ride rides and.
Speaker 1: Really even like unsafely what's the word. There's probably a couple that were unsafe. But he had a ball, you know what I'm saying. It's kind of locked him down, that is what he wrote. He rode the river raft thing where you're like going down the thing the water's flying in on you.
Speaker 2: And I videoed it and he's just kept a little strap across him and he's tiny sitting there.
Speaker 1: We had a ball.
Speaker 4: It's I think, I think, in my opinion, like the two to five range is I think that was my favorite. Really really yeah, it's it's they're little enough to still want to like come crawling your lap and snuggle and all that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're they're big enough to.
Speaker 6: Be like tell you what they want, yeah, like my butt itches, yeah, pizza, yeah, you know, yeah, I guess that could be mine what you're mad at.
Speaker 1: And but because I'm also glad about it at the same time, as.
Speaker 2: Like, my three year old is a boy and he's obsessed. He's obsessed with.
Speaker 1: Me right now, and that's that's really great. There's that, the great outweighs the negative of that. But like, I mean, he just bust in the bathroom talking about let me hold you, daddy, and I'm like, well, hob them a laugh, maybe give me Can I have three minutes to wrap this up? You know? No, you cannot and you will not.
Speaker 4: You will not, And that never goes away and never no, and that never goes away, and in fact, it it gets worse because that's the only time they bother you, because the rest of the time they're not to be bothered because it's like, you know, my kids are fifteen and thirteen, and it's like, hey, you guys want to you guys want to go fishing.
Speaker 1: No, we're good. You know.
Speaker 4: It's like now it's like, so you charge charge the batteries up on whenever you cannot get away from them, because then it's just they start making fun of you alone. Yeah, and it's awesome. It's a different kind of awesome. When they get bigger, it's it's a lot. It's a lot of fun because then you're cracking jokes with him.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And and you know.
Speaker 4: I would imagine you guys have intelligent children. I guess enough enough. I mean, by basing this off of the twenty minutes of you guys, I'm sure you guys are doing okay. Yeah, dude, and we all have it figured out as parents.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, completely.
Speaker 5: But it's it's so much fun now because uh, like my son, he's he was pitching the other day and he's like, hey, dad, we you catch me in the front yard. You know, he goes, I think I'm gonna pitch a baseball game.
Speaker 1: He's cool. He's in the fourteen under league, and I was.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, man, and he's getting almost fast enough to where it's like, I don't I'm not feeling real comfortable about this anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and buy some catcher gear.
Speaker 4: He threw He threw me about twenty twenty five baseballs and I was just using my regular glove. And I and I just had to stop. I said, bro, I gotta get on Amazon or whatever catches and a face mask and it's going to come.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's awesome. So it's it's it's a lot of fun. Man, whatever stage that they're in, it's a blessing.
Speaker 1: I saw you were doing some fishing. I saw on your Instagram. Man, I've been getting as much in as I can.
Speaker 4: I love to fish. It is my it's my favorite thing. I love to I don't really hunt a lot. If I do hunt, it's duck. But I sneak away and fish as much as I can. We My wife and I have a lot of a lot of stock tanks on our land, and then we have another piece of land up the road with a thirty acre lake on it, and so spend a lot of time out there on that.
Speaker 1: And is that Texas?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Where is that? Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Texas where I live at home. You know, I'm still within about an hour and a half of Fort Worth where I grew up. My wife and I grew up in Fort Worth. Okay, so yeah, but as much time on the water as I can, and and uh, I don't if I don't care if it's a you know, a john boat or a tracker, a ranger, or a pontoon boater. My dad, you know, my dad's on a pontoon boat. Crappie fish is a lot more. I still do more bass fishing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's That's exactly how me and my dad are. Yeah. Do you know he fished yesterday? Yeah? Man, I'm calling call of player. Dude. Yeah. Bro, he's wearing them out to like everything.
Speaker 2: He's he's on a coppee kind of quit biting, but bluegill have turned on and and they're starting to get on the bed and he loves that.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think he's cleaned. He's got He does this thing.
Speaker 2: Our dad's a Baptist preacher, so he preaches a small church, uh in the in the little town uh that Dan lives, called Santa Fe Baptist Church, And they have a thing called Man Church and they do fish fries and stuff like that. So where I live, there's a there's a twenty acre lake behind my spot, and he son, he goes out there and wears the man. He's cleaned. I think he's cleaned one hundred or almost two hundred fish in the last week. A bunch of crappie and stuff. He was like, but I can't help but catch bass, either bass or bass or smashing right now, too.
Speaker 1: Little ones yeye. I tell him to take out.
Speaker 2: We take out everything under fourteen inches, if it's a pound under fourteen inches.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we try to let everything bigger grow keep it healthy that way. Yeah. He caught a stud a couple of weeks ago. Man, he caught a ten out there.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's the biggest one we've called out that spot.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's a big fish. It was a big one. Man.
Speaker 2: Somebody told me a long time agoes twenty acre late, so he said, he said, if you're trying to grow big fish, big bass, you're trying to get fish over six seven eight pounds. He said, for every acre, take out twenty five pounds a small fish.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a bass.
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: So that's what we've been trying to do for the past few years. And I've lived there for almost four or four years, going on five years. Yeah, And every year we've tried to take out as close to three hundred I think that's three hundred and twenty five pounds of bass or something like that. We try to do that every year, and and and I think honestly, I do. I think it's paying off now because I think we're catching. We've already caught. He's caught a ten. I caught it like a seven and a half this year. He caught four or five over five last week and one one fishing, Oh my goodness, a six pound crappie test.
Speaker 1: To coming on.
Speaker 4: You know what's beautiful about that picture? That's everybody's boat, and that's everybody's dad's literally saw my dad in the boat.
Speaker 5: There.
Speaker 1: That's beautiful. Get it in the tank. It doesn't even fit in the live oil. It's a monster. It took a bunch of pictures and turn it loose. No goodness, I can tell you man, that works.
Speaker 5: The listen.
Speaker 4: That is my hobby. That is what I do. And whenever we're at home, I can tell you this. Right now, I have an order for Readier brim to feed my bass and my my big bas tank, because I make sure my big bass tank has nothing but the hogs in it, and I pull all the little bass out and I either catch them, you know, fry them up, or move them to another tank.
Speaker 5: And I've got my catfish over here in this tank. And then the.
Speaker 4: Crappie go everywhere because they're like rabbits, So it's it's a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: You're right.
Speaker 4: The I heard the same thing, you know, pulling about twenty five pounds of.
Speaker 2: If you're trying to grow a grow trophy, get that bass in a spot.
Speaker 4: Whether it's yeah, I pull, I pull all the slot bass out, and I pull as many crappy as I can catch out of there too, and then I stuck them with about three to five hundred readier brim parakreake it.
Speaker 1: Some redneck stuff for you.
Speaker 2: Where did did that? Who instilled your love of fishing in my dad? Okay, yeah, so probably the same thing. I mean, as long as as far back as you can remember, you were you were catching brim and.
Speaker 4: It was as far back as I can remember. Yeah, and and and my dad was a tough guy, tough, tough guy, hard guy, mean as hell. And the boat was the only time when when I was a kid, that we were equals.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 1: I identify with that a thousand percent.
Speaker 4: If I could set in a boat for eight hours with him, I mean I'm talking like dad.
Speaker 1: Dad wasn't talking much.
Speaker 5: I was. I was probably running my head.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, but Dad had a Marlboro red hanging out of his lip and a Copenhagen or I'm sorry, a skull wintergreen long cut at the same time, double double tough, you know, with a with a Coors Lot beer going, and and just that cigarette.
Speaker 2: Day he was away from Mama. Dude, he was getting it in while he could you and.
Speaker 4: That cigarette dangling out of his mouth, and he would slow roll of Texas rigs lower than anybody I've ever seen in my life. Like he'd just throw it out there and just leave it.
Speaker 5: Bro.
Speaker 4: My dad would too, and he'd just sit there and I'd be back there in my spinner back, you know, and he just like he'd single.
Speaker 1: Signing and going too fast and then he just going weird. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Man, Yeah, the trif sound effects, you know, like immediately sitting here with you, I can tell immediately that the guy knows fishing, like you can tell, bro, he built his own live Well, but what's your face?
Speaker 1: I built a couple of them. We can talk about it. I got you, all right, what's your first indicator when you either you take somebody fishing or you're talking about fishing, that they know nothing about fishing? Because I know mine ours is probably the same. For example, it's gonna cost some people out here, a buddy of ours. It's gonna cost some people out this guy's don't know who it is, all right. He flips the he's using the spinning rock, set up the want to set up.
Speaker 2: Too obvious, flips the bell, throws the throws it out, flips it over, and that's a very obvious indicator of somebody didn't.
Speaker 1: That's a telltale. Or if that's a funny one.
Speaker 4: Or if they flip the bell and don't just start reeling it, they they lock it back and then start reeling.
Speaker 5: It, that one's funny to one, or if.
Speaker 4: And I'll even get more more case specific with with like I grew up, you know, bass fishing, but in the South, we didn't say big mouth.
Speaker 5: That's a large mouth. He was bass fishing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's what.
Speaker 4: We're fishing for, big big bask and uh if if what's called modern day a bait caster?
Speaker 1: Ye, Dad called him an open face whenever I was a kid.
Speaker 4: Ab Garcia Garcia five thousand series that dad had had a red one and a green one and they were matching.
Speaker 5: They were like both like three thousand seas or five thousand seas or something like that.
Speaker 1: I'll try to get my dad a new one, like a lose or something. I don't want it. It wants the old Abbu Garcia Big, the old.
Speaker 4: The ambassador. And uh yeah, that that's that's what it was. That's what we did.
Speaker 5: And uh it was.
Speaker 4: That's that's how I told When I was a kid, I was like, oh, you can't cast that.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, you ain't no bass man.
Speaker 5: No, here's I think I think I can get my mom's uh spinning. I think we got a three O three over there, my baby sisters. Just how about I grab a.
Speaker 1: Snoop SNOOPI for you? You know, Daddy backlashed again.
Speaker 2: He ain't no hand like that.
Speaker 5: We were talking somebody was talking about fishing the other day and h we were talking about the same thing too.
Speaker 4: And a buddy of mine, his name is Casey. I say, Casey, we grew up skipping school going fishing. They give scholarships for this, by the way, today, fishing.
Speaker 1: In high school.
Speaker 4: We skipped high school to go fishing. But me and my buddy Casey go and like, how do you know when you're good? And I said, well, whenever there's nothing bitten. And your buddy makes a really good cast somewhere that he's gonna just he knows he's going to cross one's eyes and then you throw your lure right on top of his and then giggle.
Speaker 1: That's when you know you're pretty good.
Speaker 4: That's when you know you spend a lot of time in the boat not catching fish.
Speaker 2: Gosh, did we spend a lot of time not catching fishing. I think I'm more of a catcher than a fisher. Reads like the go figure it out, and I'm call me once you get to figure it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like to I like to hunt for him.
Speaker 5: I like to go.
Speaker 1: I like to go, Yeah, go figure it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's, it's it's it's hard to I don't get to go figure it out much more because on a twenty acre late you kind of know what they're doing. But it ain't a spot where you're gonna go out there and you're gonna catch a six or eight ten pounder every time, Like you gotta go. I mean, you gotta know what they're you gotta know what they're biting and throw it in the right spot.
Speaker 1: Stuff like that. But we grew up on Pickwick, which is south well more west of here.
Speaker 2: It's a big bass lake, and I mean part of the Tennessee River, Yes, a giant and and some days you go out there and you could get in them, and then other days you wouldn't catch fish.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: It's tough fishing, all right. I need to live well, dude, I do. I still use the little cage. I just throw it over the side of the boat and drag it by my trash.
Speaker 1: The cage, the cage, live weal is. I've got a sixteen.
Speaker 2: I've got a sixteen fifty six plenty plenty big enough, but I need a I need a I've been thinking about it, trying to figure it out.
Speaker 1: What tell me, tell me what I need.
Speaker 4: There's there's these little pumps and I forget what they're called. There like a red, white and blue little pump and it's not very big. They're about twenty five thirty five dollars on Amazon. I bought like the one hundred can size it. Because the trick about making a homemade live well is is you really don't want to do it with like a yetti because they're too heavy, right, And so you want to do it with like the Igloo.
Speaker 5: Brand, you know, solid chess, but not the mega heavy you know, the hundred can Igloo that is your old school just plastic, you know, but big enough to where like you want to go catch some cats, you know, then throw out, throw some drugs out. I jug fish off time. I love, I said, jug fish. I go.
Speaker 1: I said, this is how what I this is how bad I am. I sick at you.
Speaker 4: I know, I go set jugs out and then I go bass fish. Yeah, and then I go back and check my jugs.
Speaker 1: See one roll in. It's just ridiculous. Oh what was I even talking about talking about?
Speaker 3: What do you?
Speaker 5: What do you?
Speaker 1: What's your go to joug bait? You know, I hate stink bait. He's a cut bait guy.
Speaker 4: I tell I do I do use cut bait, and I use cut bait and hot dog winners with red kool aid and garlic salt.
Speaker 5: Hey, a bit of a concoction. Hey, I've heard the garlic salt. The worst that's gonna happen. It's gonna stain your fingers. Smell like garlic. You don't smell like.
Speaker 1: Thank you? Yeah, you don't smell like gobble?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, that stink bait is the next level for dazed. That's the worst. And you like it's not it's not the all like it. It doesn't catch them better than anything. Here's what's awesome, cut bait catch it just as well.
Speaker 4: Let's let's go put some poo on our on our fingers, okay, and catch the fish and then clean those fish and then fry those fish up.
Speaker 1: And then when you're enjoying that, and then and then when you're enjoying.
Speaker 5: That fish, you can still smell it on your fingers.
Speaker 1: That's the best.
Speaker 2: That's the best argument for not using the state fingers.
Speaker 4: So cut bait doesn't bother me. Man, You can catch you some pan fish. Cut those suckers up, hot dog winters with red red fruit punch cool like gotta be red fruit punch cool.
Speaker 1: Not cherry not to be confused with chick please no chaerr fruit punch and cherry works.
Speaker 5: And then garlic saw you all right?
Speaker 2: Noted, we're all lady d go back to the live well cash, sorry about that that was going to do anyway, Our listeners know this is this is typical, all right.
Speaker 4: Hunter can igloo and then just one of those small errator pumps it's it's a red, white and blue one. It's about yeah big, I think I got one. Yeah, And and.
Speaker 1: How do you power it? Uh?
Speaker 4: It doesn't take a lot of power, but you need I use a lawn ober battery because I mean lugging in big old battery like a car battery for running amencote or something.
Speaker 1: You got to do that.
Speaker 4: But uh, but in terms of just running that aerator, that little errator run off just a pretty small tractor battery or a TV battery.
Speaker 1: So when do you bat You plug it in? Yeah, I plug it in. I run I filled obviously filled up with.
Speaker 4: Water, and then I just start running it when I start putting fish in and I'll feed ice into it.
Speaker 1: Um hmm.
Speaker 5: I'll have a separate cooler with just ice, and those fish will stand there all.
Speaker 4: Day, oh, just to keep the temperature. So yeah, yeah, you'll stay. I mean as long as they got that you can build. I mean that that cooler is going to be your big biggest expense out of the lawn and garden battery.
Speaker 1: But still you're talking one hundred and twenty bucks probably hundred twenty bucks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then you know you can take it anywhere. Yeah, I mean, dump the mobile, dump the water out let the water drain out, and you have a cooler full of fishing. Still pick up because it's not a yetty.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm about to do that. I'm about to do that. It makes good sense. Maybe tomorrow.
Speaker 4: And then here here's how my big one works too, because sometimes I transport lark. This is how nerdy I am about this stuff. I travel large amounts of fish. Or when I pick up my red air brim.
Speaker 1: From Pond King and Lindsay, Texas.
Speaker 5: I like those guys. Ye look, guys, they don't give me nothing, I promise you. They're very expensive.
Speaker 1: They got great stuff though.
Speaker 4: But I took one of those three hundred gallon like water thing water.
Speaker 1: Tubs that you put you know, fork lifts under it.
Speaker 4: To move them, and I rigged me up a big one.
Speaker 1: Man, I can I can put you go pick up your redded brim with basically a kiddie pool and then attach it to the back trailer and drive them home. Well, it's not so much a kiddie pool.
Speaker 5: It's like a.
Speaker 3: Tank.
Speaker 1: It's a tank.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And and I put it on my little trailer and uh pull it, you know, pull it on my truck and.
Speaker 1: You put ice in there to get them. How far is it to your house? About forty five minutes. Yeah, they live forty five minutes in a stock tank on the trailer. I'm shocked by that. DoD they'll live all day.
Speaker 4: I'll just go before I pick them up, and I'll just I'll buy a few bags of ice and I'll just throw the ice in the I have the water rady. I have well water at home. Oh nice, So I pump it full of my well water and then they'll they'll put some of their water in it to adjust the temperature for them, and then they'll have that cool water in there and well and it makes sense. Yeah, no problem Manyeah, that's awesome. Yeah, yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: I love tank cultivation. How big are your tanks at home that you keep in your bath?
Speaker 5: Not big?
Speaker 4: My biggest is I've got a two acre tank, and then I've got three one acre tanks, and I work all of them.
Speaker 1: See, this is foreign to me. I don't know anything about the tank culture. Honestly. Yeah, it sounds inch. That sounds fun, though.
Speaker 5: The I'm a hermit and I don't go anywhere when I'm not on the road. And so.
Speaker 4: Essentially, my wife and I years ago bought a playground. I bought a ranch and and Miavy day driver is usually a side by side and then we like I was telling you that thirty acres lake, we got up the road and and I'm usually on a four wheeler, a TV or a dirt bike or a.
Speaker 1: Something outside john Boat.
Speaker 5: And then.
Speaker 1: I've got my dad's old tracker.
Speaker 4: If i want to get out on the big water, We've got several lakes or and we got great bass lakes up around. I grew up on on Ray Roberts. We called it ray Ball when I was a.
Speaker 1: Kid, a big fish lake. But yeah, there's we're around a lot of water.
Speaker 4: And I just I just as soon have a buddy over and go fishing as I do anything else.
Speaker 1: Your kids like it, They get out there with you, so yes, And though, yeah.
Speaker 4: That's funny because I bought the place that I dreamed about when I was a kid, and my kids are just different, you know, my my my ideal. I would have gone fishing with my dad every day if I could have, you know, but I got to pull their tea because they've grown up around it more and interesting.
Speaker 1: You always wonder that interesting. I always wonder about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's kind of like, uh, you know, my wife telling me, you know, it's like you you got this for you. You know, they're growing up here and they love it. They loved living they loved living in the country.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but it's not so much.
Speaker 4: We spend a lot of time together and obviously we got a lot of space out there, and baseball is a big deal.
Speaker 5: So there's a lot of baseball with my son in the front yard. I throw to him a lot and he just hits baseballs and whatever. I'll catch him as long as I can.
Speaker 4: But it's uh, it's not really uh we're gonna jump in the side by side and go fishing with dad much anymore.
Speaker 1: Although my daughter did mention.
Speaker 4: To my wife the other day, I hadn't asked her personally to go fishing walk because she was my fishing buddy, my oldest and she's she's almost driving now, she's in driver's head. And so my wife mentioned that and I was like, hey, baby, you know, you want to go fishing, and she was like, I can't.
Speaker 1: But it's the thought, it's the asking.
Speaker 5: They just and here's what I know about women. Now, which is not a lot.
Speaker 1: They just need to be asked, like, it doesn't matter if they can do it or not. You think that goes across the board, wives it all.
Speaker 4: That's a that's a that's a generalization that I personally have have made that may be unfair and unfounded in the eyes of some people. But I think that it's the thought and like the nature of like, it's the thought that matters that you thought to include them in my in my experience, Yes, because even like with my mom, I've noticed because my dad's been very helpful in saying, son, you're going to learn. Yeah, and I'm trying to pay attention like they've been doing it forty six years.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And he and I have a baby sister, and she changed my dad. Boy, I'm telling you, it's not the same dude that raised me, raised my baby sister.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you that damn much.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So you know, it's just different creatures man, And I know we have females in the room.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's ask one. How do you feel about that? Is it just the asking or what do you think jump asking?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I don't think that was I don't think that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, that's that's what I've learned, that's been my experience. Yeah, so I try to make sure because hey man, I'm trying to raise a daughter that looks for things in a in a mate that she's like, oh my dad did that, that's important?
Speaker 2: Completely agree, right, same way yeah, yeah, respect, Yeah, yeah, I love yeah, trust right right yeah, yep, yep, yeah, I get that.
Speaker 1: I'm the same way.
Speaker 2: Maybe my girls only did you just turn three? And it terrifies me, you know what I'm saying. It terrifies me.
Speaker 5: Oh just wait, they get like she's like, they're just so pretty, like you just.
Speaker 1: Look at your little girl.
Speaker 5: You're just like, oh my gosh, I will kill people for.
Speaker 1: You for yeah, and everything else and anything, I'll kill anything. Yeah, I mean I feel that. I definitely feel it though. Yes, or my son, that's the one that's they're the same age decided. We asked him what he wanted for dinner, and he said, I want to go to haibachi and he just calls it bachi because he knows they have rice and yeah, man, well you know the Mexican place has rise too, and is I don't know, eighty bucks cheaper. Maybe you're going to sling it all over the table anyway, maybe we just go Mexican and instead, you know, he's like, no, I'm Bachi, Bachi, he knows.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: So we're on the way down there and my five soon to be six year old little girl goes, I'm trying to talk them into Mexican right the whole time, which turns out my wife wanted to Bachi, so that's why we ended up going there. Uh, but it was I was trying to talk them into Mexican and and I said, and Eliza said, well they have. My little girl said, well, they have at a mammy at Mexican and I was like, they don't. He was like, Daddy, they do have at a mammy at Mexican. And I and this is where I'm too with like my five year old, assuming that she's right and I'm wrong on things. And I finally just go, hey, Liza, how how long have I been alive? She was like forty one years? I said, you have any Mexican places I've been to in those forty one years? A ton? And you know how many of them had ota mammy? Not there one of them? Baby. She was like, no, this one Mexican has out of Mammy and we would. I mean, I'm just like, how do you convince these jokers? You don't not? At five? No chance? You tell me it doesn't change? Do they eventually go?
Speaker 4: You know what, well, even even the young girls find a way to make you know you're wrong.
Speaker 5: I don't know what they do.
Speaker 4: I don't know why or because like my daughter will you know, I'll be like, I don't even argue with her anymore because it's like I'm going to be wrong for some reason or whatever. And like and then and Rebecca will be like, we're not ganging up on you, Cody, you're wrong, and I'm like, okay, okay, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: It's funny.
Speaker 4: It really is funny, man, because just they're the little the little ones are just like the big ones.
Speaker 1: They're just little. Okay, No, we can talk about this forever.
Speaker 5: It's funny.
Speaker 2: Hey man, you talked about your new record working on it. It comes out seven twenty five. Yeah, we got a little sneak peak of it. It's great, man, it's great. And I know you've talked about this. I know you've talked about your sobriety. But the first track on that listing is better than the bottle now that you are sober, now that you are on the other side of that, Like, what are some of those things that in your life that are better than the bottle for you know.
Speaker 4: That was one of the last songs we wrote, and it became the first song to go on the record.
Speaker 1: Everybody kind of fell in love with it instantly.
Speaker 4: I wrote it with an old buddy named Tom McIlvaine that I've written a lot with over the years. And everyone of that song's true. He just stopped buying and and we had both quit drinking essentially, and and and and you know, in terms of sobriety, you know, it's like I do not drink.
Speaker 1: I haven't drank in a long time.
Speaker 5: I am California sober. So that there's there's some people that like, dude, you know, you know, I just mad, you know, make sure everybody you know. And and and Tom is uh is kind of the same way.
Speaker 4: And we never got in any trouble together after we had smoked a jay. We got into a lot of troubles when.
Speaker 1: We were drinking.
Speaker 4: And Uh, And he's one of those guys that that whenever we met each other twenty years ago, and started singing together and playing together around Texas and writing songs together. We were the good time wherever we were at man and growing and learning and you know, going through uh, just life and growing up and turning that into a really cool reflective song. There's a mention of a guy named Jay Johnson. He was a local singer songwriter from you know, our neck of the woods back home, and.
Speaker 1: Uh, you know he lost his battle with.
Speaker 4: With you know, things of that nature, and and uh that happened years ago, and not a lot of people know who Jay is. People back home do you know, But it's you remember those guys and and just look at each other and just like, man, thank god we made it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So where does the conviction Because listen to the record and listen to all your stuff. I'm previous to that, and there's just a realness to all of it. You know, it's you're telling these stories and literally things that happened with your buddies and stuff like that. Like where does where does that conviction come from to just just write about your life and and and tell the truth to to to your fans.
Speaker 4: I didn't realize until maybe like two records ago that I was just kind of making a whole lot of different paintings of my life. I've used my I've used my life and my journey and my story as the canvas.
Speaker 5: There's not I mean, you can look at you can look at my body of work, which is I.
Speaker 4: Don't know how many records it is now or how many recording it's over one hundred recorded songs, and and tell where I'm at in life, you know, not in every song, because some of them are third person, most of them are first person, the third persons, most of them are first But it's it's been, it's been a very very much a journey. And I mentioned that in the liner notes on the Change the Game record last year when.
Speaker 5: We dropped it.
Speaker 4: A lot of these people, you know, I meet people now that walk up drinking a beer like, hey, I've grown up on your music, Like yeah, I've been doing this a long time.
Speaker 1: And you know, uh, we raised we raised our kids on this.
Speaker 4: And me and my daughter, Me and my daughter, you know, danced to this at our our We danced a Mama's song at the at the at the wedding, or we played this or that at dad's funeral. And and so I make mention of of growing up together. And you know, I'll be forty five this year, so uh, there's there's there's a faction of people out there that have been seeing me play for the past twenty years that we're very much in the same places in life.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: They started coming to, you know, see us play.
Speaker 4: Whenever we were young and better looking and had long hair and no.
Speaker 1: Beards, right, and they just switched.
Speaker 4: And our children were nonexistent or very small, and now we're show you know, we're older, and it's a it's a fun it's it's the record's fun for me because it's I'm not young anymore and I'm not old. So I just think that there's there's there's a lot of just I'm on camera, right, and this is there's a lot of just to me on the record.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of this.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, you know, yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: It thanks to your authenticity though, man, that you've been you haven't been doing it for so long, but you're still like I mean, I was driving into town today and saw your a billboard playing First Bank Amphitheater doing Franklin. Yeah, and it's like you've still been doing it for so long. But your fan base is loyal, man, and you're you're gaining fans continually still and honestly even without the support of country radio or or Nashville in that sense. I don't know how you feel about that, but it just feels like, man, like, what you're doing is authentic and your your fans and your listeners and people around the world that are listening to your music are buying into it just by listening to it.
Speaker 4: We were fortunate just we built a really solid foundation and we were one of those We were on the road for ten years before anybody even knew who we were, and we were out there just running coast to coast, up, up and down, left and right, just stayed on the road nine or ten months out of the year for that was on the road nine or ten months out.
Speaker 5: Of the year for thirteen years in a row.
Speaker 4: And that's what we built. We built the foundation. We will always have a place to play. We will always have people that will come to see us play.
Speaker 5: Whether or not we're on the radio or not.
Speaker 4: And that's a great feeling. It was a very hard way to do it. I'm not saying it was the right way. It was the wrong way, it was our way, but we knew we knew back then that without the help of major market radio, that's how we were going to be.
Speaker 5: Able to do it.
Speaker 1: And continue to do it, and continue to do it and build a really loyal fan base.
Speaker 5: And it's it's.
Speaker 4: It's proven, it's proven to be, it works, it's worked, it's it's been we've been very four.
Speaker 1: I mean, ultimately, I feel like.
Speaker 2: That's kind of the only way to have true longevity is to make an authentic product that real humans buy into at whatever age they are.
Speaker 1: And as long as you keep and continue doing that, that audience grows with you, thus still coming to shows, still streaming your music, still supporting you and what you do. I say that all the time, Like it's tough too, because we're commercial songwriters, right, so we're aiming at radio and different artists and all these different things, and so it's tough though when when an artist has a bit and they're built on that bit, you know, whether that's like hot flashy abs or whether that's look how country I am or whatever the thing is. And I feel like when you build it on that, there's only so much consumption until you're you're as a listener, you're just like, Okay, what else, what else? What else? Where as opposed to this is where I am in my life and I'm not. And look, it's an entertainment business. So I'm not saying everything has to be one hundred percent authentic to you to the core of what you're going through in your life. But if you can, if you can figure out how to like encapsulate that, then you kind of you got your You got your foundation of those people that are your age, that understand it, you know, and grow with you. Yeah, especially through these records.
Speaker 2: Man, I mean, these people can tell you that they they grew up on you and they listen to another kids are going up on you. I mean like and that that's the coolest thing to me, is like you don't have to be anything but you. All you got to do is just put out just just right from your heart, right from your experience, your life right now. And you can put out records as long as you live, and these people will listen and come to your shows and and be Cody Jinks fans.
Speaker 4: I think that's where we hold an advantage is because without having a record label big record label proper. You know, oftentimes artists can't just put out their work because hey, we have to wait for the next record cycle. We have to wait on this song, that song, We have this held, that held this, and that. Iking it to what what I'm able to do in the freedom that I have, is iking it to an artist that, like, I don't know, just say any any painter that has a whole lot of really cool paintings. Some of them are really popular, some of them aren't as popular. Well, should he have not released those? Absolutely not. That's where he or she was at that particular time. So I have I have albums that maybe aren't as One of my favorite records is probably my least popular record in sales, just because I thought that the songwriting for my I'm talking about my thirty record and because to me, I thought that that was such a great exercise in my own personal songwriting that it maybe got a little too heady for a lot of people. Sure, so yeah, you know it's it's but I needed to put that record out. So I think that that artists oftentimes aren't able to just exercise and get that work out, cleanse the palette.
Speaker 1: You needed to put that out, because if you just.
Speaker 4: Sit on that song in five years you're not and you look back, you might think I should have cut that song then because I had conviction.
Speaker 1: I was there then.
Speaker 5: I was there then.
Speaker 1: And don't don't wait. If you if you can, right man, that's a that's that's a that's a good word right there. That's a testament to to just putting out what you feel at the time you feel it. What's your are Listeners love to hear the process of different artists and their writing styles and when they write, when they don't write, if they come to town to write, if they write by themselves. What's your? Are you always writing?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: Are you always? Are you? Are you always? Are you always owned? Or do you set a time?
Speaker 2: Okay, next Thursday, I'm gonna I'm gonna lock myself in a room and come up with a couple ideas.
Speaker 1: I try to be stay.
Speaker 4: Really undisciplined in all of that. I don't let it come to you. I try to, but I always try to have something stewing. I always try to have There's a couple of guys that we always try to have at least an idea. We're bouncing back and forth via text. There's always something cooking, even if I'm even if I go I go through periods where I don't write for maybe months, especially if I'm wrapped up in the business end of things. Every day's a phone call or five.
Speaker 2: Or or Heart of Greek, creative and to road going, touring, road, the administration side of it.
Speaker 4: I'm really hands on with every aspect of everything, and in most most areas, yeah I have I have help, I have a great team, but yeah, it's it's a lot. So changing the hats is something I've gotten better at, but it's still it's still difficult, and I've found that I have a more difficult time writing at home.
Speaker 1: I still write at home a great deal, but there's so much going on.
Speaker 4: Two teenagers and both of them are in fifteen different activities and it's great and it's like everybody else's house with busy kids, and it's wonderful that I'm at home doing stuff. So if i'm if I'm not doing stuff with the kids, I'm on one of the tanks, fishing or messing with you know, or on a tractor or something.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: That's a long winded answer.
Speaker 1: No, I identify with that because even riding in town like the other day, I noticed I was looking at my phone a whole bunch. But it's it's partly because of the phone. Because now my dog is tied to the phone, my wife's tied to the phone, my kids are tied to the phone, my house is tied. Your dog's tied to the hole. I mean, I got that halo collar, man. So like when she gets out of the out of the your dog like scrolling Instagram. No, it's when she gets out of the fence and immediately buzzes me, which pulls me out of whatever I'm in and goes, oh, my gosh, Iris is halfway down the driveway. We've got to get something, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Do they have I don't know what what I'm assuming. I understand what talking about. The halo thing with the dog is this. Do they have stuff now where the dog can contact you?
Speaker 1: It contacts you for it. It's like GPS. It's like like please, it's.
Speaker 4: The dog, Like Bark's twice water, there's a code Morris code bark.
Speaker 1: Right, that's great. I basically set a fence up and if and it's on, I can look on my phone it's GPS to like find my friends or anything else. And if she gets outside that fence, yeah, it sends her a little shock and lets me know that it that it did it. It's pretty wild, man.
Speaker 4: Okay, well pretty well, I'm I'm, I got you, I got Yeah, it's wild.
Speaker 1: It's where we're at, man.
Speaker 2: But but my whole point of that is, like, it's this, it's it's speaking to you having trouble writing at home.
Speaker 1: It's the same thing. It's like the more connected you are to the things going on, and honestly, it's things that you care about, you know what I mean, Like I care about my dog, care about my kids, care about my wife.
Speaker 4: But that to stay in that lane, well, that's where your attentions as right. If you're if you're at home doing what you're supposed to do. If I was sitting at home writing every day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you'd be absent from everything.
Speaker 5: I'll be absent.
Speaker 4: And that's been the whole point the last few years is to make the time at home count.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 5: And so.
Speaker 4: I'm in home as much as I can be, and my wife and children understand that I don't leave unless I don't leave until I have to and I'm home as soon as I can.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's where we're at. Yeah, we don't go gallipant no more. Dude. I did it. I did it.
Speaker 5: I drank it all.
Speaker 4: I went to every bar after every I've been in every bar after every show I played in the whole country, like five times. Whatever after party and whatever town I'm in at, whatever bar that we shut down that night.
Speaker 1: And that's where you were Dubuque, Iowa, or.
Speaker 4: Springfield, Missouri, or Spokane, Wash I don't know, dude, wherever we were at, we shut them down.
Speaker 1: I did it. And uh, can I ask you what the conviction was to change?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: What? What was it? Your family? Was your kids? Was was it? Your life? Health?
Speaker 5: All of it?
Speaker 1: Man, just everything.
Speaker 4: It just needed to I just needed to change for every reason, mostly mostly family, mostly personal.
Speaker 5: Health, mental health, probably more than anything.
Speaker 4: But I I just had to change a bunch of things.
Speaker 5: And I think.
Speaker 4: That that's been beneficial to my marriage and my family and and learning how to deal with a bunch of things and going to therapy and.
Speaker 1: As opposed to just kind of drinking through them, as.
Speaker 4: Opposed to drinking through I drank through them. I did that for a very long time, and then I quit doing that and then started the working on mental health and physical health all at the same time, and being present at home and having my family actually get used to me being home and then have to get used to sober me being home, and then it's it's just everything's uh. I've like I've realized, like I can't ever get comfortable no matter what.
Speaker 1: I'm comfortable in home around my people, but everything's a.
Speaker 4: Practice, like I have to work every day to like not be a piece of it same you know, gosh right, well, and like that's what you know I admire about.
Speaker 1: I have a I have a close group of.
Speaker 4: Friends that are my age that you know, we're going through the same things in life, and very fortunate to have these guys. And it's it's good to see other guys dealing with waking up every day and also trying not to be a piece of shit. And I'm just not even talking about being a great person, which we're all working to be better people.
Speaker 5: It's just, man, I'm just trying not to mess up.
Speaker 4: I tell people all the time, I'm just like, dude, I'm just I'm just hanging on many I'm just I'm just trying to love neighbor.
Speaker 1: You know that's sound not drink that beer. I've been on a recent health journey myself, and when people ask me, they're like, oh, so, what is it like to you want to feel better? I'm like, no, oh, you want to look better. And I'm like, no, I just want to stay alive. I'm just trying to stay a lot of reasons too, That's yeah.
Speaker 5: That's the that's the thing. That's I was.
Speaker 4: I was talking about that the other day with somebody. I do the rowing machine, and uh, you can tell her right now, I'm not a buff man.
Speaker 1: You look good. You lost like fifteen pounds for the.
Speaker 5: Beer belly whenever. I quick drinking, which is great.
Speaker 4: But my whole thing is cardio now. And so it's I get up. I do four days a week on the rowing machine, and my knees hurt. Man, I've had knee surgeries and so it's low impact.
Speaker 5: I can't go run anymore.
Speaker 4: Hurt, So just do my row machine and and you know, try to not eat all the ice cream sandwiches. Well, that's what happens when you give up. You quit drinking whiskey. There's a lot of sugar in there.
Speaker 5: You quit drinking beer. There's also a lot of sugar in there.
Speaker 1: You're like, man, I got sweet tooth like a mofa.
Speaker 5: I need, I need well.
Speaker 4: But here's the thing at My wife was like, oh, ice cream sandwiches are way better than drinking. So I've got I've got Broms ice cream sandwiches in there.
Speaker 1: I've got the fat Boy ice cream.
Speaker 5: You ever had a fat boy?
Speaker 1: I've heard about them. I try to stay.
Speaker 5: You need to get a box.
Speaker 4: And then I've got the the klondyke bar heath ed dish, the heath Yeah, the Heath Barish. So I've got like a smorgasborg of of ice cream sandwiches in there, and uh.
Speaker 1: You just roll them out the next morning. Heart big fish and ice cream sandwiches. That's man. I'll go if i'm start, If I'm flying jay ice creaming, my go to is the cone, Dude, the cone with small nutty buddy, study buddy, that's mine. Don't let me see a king size in that hole, or it's coming home with me. Man.
Speaker 2: I passed up the What's the new Tailer last night and I needed just a little late night snack and I was watching the playoff basketball, and I passed on the new tailer and left the new tailler in the cabinet and got grapes and baby carrots and smoked them.
Speaker 1: Life.
Speaker 5: That's good life decisions.
Speaker 1: Because it's getting old.
Speaker 4: It's easy to get the big spoon and then just hit the new tail with the big spoon.
Speaker 2: New tailespoons, that's what we call them in our house. Can I get a new tailespoon before I'm going to bed?
Speaker 1: Sure have to think?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hey man, I saw calleries, right.
Speaker 1: I saw if you stack it on top of it that hall. I don't think it's still countsl What are you putting it on ice cream? No, it's not done work that way.
Speaker 2: I saw a video of your every boy Larson stepping on stage, coming up on stage playing the guitar with you.
Speaker 1: Is uh does he want to follow Daddy? Do you support that? Well?
Speaker 2: Well, I know you support it, But how do you feel about it?
Speaker 4: I might, I might try to. That's how I feel about it. Yeah, I do support it. How I feel about it is different. It's I can tell you this my kids are older now, and and and not to hit back on any subjects or whatever. What I worry about is what most parents worry about is the sex, drugs and rock and roll and all of that's there and readily available if that's.
Speaker 5: What you choose, if that's what you're choosing to do.
Speaker 4: In his specific case, he understands that nepotism will get you a record done, but if you're not any good, you're not going to sell that record and you're not going to get another one.
Speaker 1: Come on.
Speaker 4: So I haven't tried to be an ass about it to him, and and I'm not. And he takes lessons, and he's in a band and they're really good and right now it's all rock and punk and metal and he's well rounded though.
Speaker 2: He loves definitely following that yeah metal day, but it lived around in that one.
Speaker 1: But if Alan Jackson or Alabama's on.
Speaker 5: The radio, he's, you know, he's in. He's in.
Speaker 4: Also, it's he's he's he's real well rounded. He just wants to play the rock stuff.
Speaker 1: But he understands this business. His mom started his mom my wife. So we are married, you know, yeah, still happily married. She started letting him go on the road on the tour bus with me when he was seven, and he's thirteen. Yeah, and he's thirteen next month, and he's he's seen it all. But he's thirty. So he's twelve years old in a band. Yeah, well rocking, dude, that's rock.
Speaker 4: He's uh, he's in a he's in a program with a guitar center at our back home Guitar Center, and they put these bands together.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. So he's they've got four piece band.
Speaker 5: Cool, and right now they're looking for a drummer. We were not, sorry, Dave, we're not We're not looking for a drummer.
Speaker 1: Don't give him a mind you, Dave, just don't give a drummer.
Speaker 4: We finally did, after a decade, we finally gave. We finally gave Dave a not doorbell, a cow bell, a microphone. On the same tour, we've had three rehearsals. We automatically almost regretted.
Speaker 1: Dave immediately regretless decision. It's not gonna work.
Speaker 4: But as for myself, he's, uh, he's seen it. He's seen all of it. He's seen every bit of it. He's seen my friends go to rehab. He's seen the really great spots of it. He's seen the how cool it is for everybody to come and visit dad whenever dad's playing let's say Red Rocks, sir, you know, sold out show at Red Rocks and everybody's there, all the friends are there, all the families there, and monument you know, stuff like that. But you can't do anything like. They're at work too.
Speaker 1: They've learned that.
Speaker 4: My kids have learned, well, we're working just like you are, Dad, and you know that is a workday for the family.
Speaker 1: So they've they've seen it.
Speaker 4: They've seen they've seen the very ugly side of social media on.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you guys know this. I've been pissing people.
Speaker 5: Off in this town for a while.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't know that. I've tried not to do it as much anymore. But why do you make them so mad?
Speaker 2: You definitely you can't, definitely can't tell that one because you won't do the thing. You won't do the because you won't fit in them all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they want you to sign so they get your money that you created by playing gigs. You know what.
Speaker 2: The most beautiful thing about that all that is is that you you never needed this town and you still don't and you never will. Man, You got your kicking off your Hippies and Cowboys tour at the end of this month, playing the Franklin Theater at the end of this month on the on the thirtieth new record coming out. Congrats on it all, man, thanks for coming and hanging out with us.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I could we could sit here and do this. Man, You're fine. It's we do this a lot.
Speaker 2: Like It's not very often we get somebody on here that we don't know, and we don't know the story and we don't so it's it's always fun to pick people's brains that you know, we've never had conversations with and you kind of don't know the backdrop to it. But dude, you're great. You're awesome. Thanks for thanks for hanging out with us.
Speaker 1: Absolutely no, I appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Thank you for your time. Glad glad to be here. A great way to great way to kick off the day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got to talk about fishing. Yeah no, jot what about gravite? You want to play something or no, it's up to you. M I tell you what this is.
Speaker 4: This is honestly what I first thought while ago was I don't even and I don't can edit this out or whatever. I don't know why this will air, but we just had Mother's Day and.
Speaker 5: I was gonna play I was gonna play a song for mother.
Speaker 2: Didn't play a song from a left all right, Yeah, man, my mom listens to every one of these, so I'm sure she'd love to hear.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, we'll do that and and uh shout out to the mom was out there.
Speaker 1: But I hope every mother had a Mother's Day.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: The world wouldn't spend without y'all. We uh.
Speaker 5: We try to.
Speaker 1: A song for mom, which yeah, man, which try to I like it, try.
Speaker 5: To remember, Uh, got to celebrate.
Speaker 1: Mom, alright, we should. We should celebout.
Speaker 5: Dad more than just Father's Day too.
Speaker 1: I will tell it's funny thinking do we have time? Yeah, you want to do and push that, Michael at bit. Yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Was talking with this person one time about Mother's Day. And we have missed Mother's Day. We've been on the road for Mother's Day. A lot of people have done that.
Speaker 1: It's a real, real world, yep.
Speaker 5: And that's that's not good.
Speaker 4: And you always try to celebrate Mother's Day and make a thing out of it, and certainly, you know, help the kids get cards and presents and celebrate that and things of that nature. And I was talking with this this this female, this woman my age one time, and we were talking about Mother's Day versus Father's Day, and and it got to us said, here's the thing. The difference between Mother's Day and father Mother's Day should be celebrated. It should be highly touted, it should.
Speaker 1: Be a big deal. It always should be, it always will be.
Speaker 5: Father's Day.
Speaker 4: Probably leave them alone, okay, probably like, hey, what do you want to do today? Not heye, what do you want to do today? I was thinking, good tip, What do you want to do today?
Speaker 1: It's a good tip.
Speaker 4: Do you want to go fishing? Do you want to like you want to take the kids? You want by yourself? I watched the kids because chances are Dad would rather probably just chill, smoke a cigarette, throw a dip in and drink a beer.
Speaker 1: On why he's crawbie fishing sounds like a hell of a day.
Speaker 5: You know, it's very simple, you know, like it's a difference. And so we get into this conversation and I go, well, wait, if Mother's day's for the mom, who's the Father's Day for?
Speaker 1: She's like for the family. I was like, that's fed up. So Family Day, Family's Day. Father's Day is Family's Day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I told my wife the other day is because we did Mother's Day the other day.
Speaker 5: It was the whole family's there.
Speaker 4: We had a great time and I was like, man, for Father's Day, I was like, I think I just want.
Speaker 1: To go to the lake. You guys are welcome to go, you and the kiddos. I mean, I want to load up, to load up in the old tracker. If you don't. If you don't, it's fine, whatever you want to.
Speaker 5: I want to go ahead and throw that out. We'll make sure she listens to this, all right. So uh yeah, happy happy belated Mother's Day. Oh yeah, And I got to sing this with my mom. We played in Arlington last week, which is pretty close to a hometown show for me, and Mom was there. She gets up and sings this. It's always a lot of fun, play the Mama song. I don't have to take these headphones all I gonna mess me.
Speaker 1: There we go.
Speaker 5: You got a half for six per old man, walk in a half back and eat and I can't and do it like a dick when I was a kid. This is all I'm gone and need of course. I know when you always worry about me drinking my den inner food. I don't do that anymore. You got me a swing girl at home. She's keeping food on the table handy night. She keeps me one. So I've got me this piece of paper I got in my favorite right. Can I know it's been in a little while and talking's not in my style.
Speaker 3: I just had to write my friend.
Speaker 5: Doing alright, Mama, I'm o cave and when you're leaving.
Speaker 3: My talks with Jesus have held me on my way. I knew it wasn't.
Speaker 5: Always easy raising my father's son. And your son will be all right if the show's keep coming. So we'll get guitar and me here are still strummling.
Speaker 3: I know you always knew. My army still get way too far.
Speaker 5: I'm doing all riding now, Mama, doing all riding now, Mama.
Speaker 3: Doing all right now?
Speaker 5: Mom, I'm doing okay. And you remember the time when I was stuck in early and I didn't have a job and I didn't have a wait to pay.
Speaker 3: The business that i'd racked up. Yeah, you kidding me from lose in my truck.
Speaker 5: I'm a little bitter rob now and I was then bloody shore.
Speaker 3: Nice to see calling.
Speaker 5: Me when I'm out there on room. Yeah, you calling to say, have a good show. M doing alright, Mom, mahamo cave or you laying now?
Speaker 3: Talks with Jesus. Have heard me all my way?
Speaker 5: No, it wasn't always easy raising my father's son. And your son will be all right if the show's keep coming, So we'll get tar.
Speaker 3: And me here. I was still strumming.
Speaker 1: I w U.
Speaker 3: I always new, I always took good way to fuck.
Speaker 5: But I'm doing all riding now. Mama doing all riding now. Mama doing all riding now, Mom doing Okay, I'm doing all riding now.
Speaker 1: Coding out in God's country. Yeah, hay, Mother's Day belated?
Speaker 2: Is that true story about the l A Yeah, I almost lost your truck?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Mom made those uh those truck payments for about three months during the summer of three.
Speaker 1: Wow. What kind of truck was it?
Speaker 5: It was an one Chevy S ten work truck plane Jane, the little plain white one, no CD player, roll up windows.
Speaker 1: Oh my, it's all I owned.
Speaker 5: I had that and by the time I wrote that song, I had had when I was right the time period I was writing that song about when I came home from Los Angeles and three everything I owned was in the back of that tiny little truck. And that was a bag of dirty clothes, a Duffel bag of dirty clothes. Uh, a guitar, an amplifier, and a microwaves microwave.
Speaker 1: How did you did it work in the truck or did you plug it in? Or how did that? Well?
Speaker 5: I had a microwave, but I did not have an apartment to plug it in an extensive cord. It served.
Speaker 4: Actually, after I finally got home and hustled an apartment up, it served as a TV stand because of the apartment I got.
Speaker 5: I actually came with a microwave.
Speaker 1: Oh so I had two microwaves, double microwave. Baby.
Speaker 2: Hey man, thanks for coming on. Thank you all for helping me set this up. You're great, dude. And uh yeah, man, all the all the all the props toy for for what you're doing, what you've done over your your illustrious career.
Speaker 1: Listen, man, there's a giant fan base out there that needs you to continue making music, So keep making it. Thank you. I will.
Speaker 4: It's it's a journey, it's it's a lot of fun. I'm having more fun now we don't we're not on the road quite as much.
Speaker 1: So every show is precious.
Speaker 4: Every time we walk out on stage is a blessing and the fans are the reason it is that way, and it's so much fun. So yeah, man, we're we're just so thankful and grateful to be where we're at. And you know, I figured I keep living like that, man, we keep moving in a positive direction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, appreciate y'all. Thanks for watching.
Speaker 2: Go check out Cody Jinks, got a new record coming out, got some shows coming up, tour starts Hippies and Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Five twenty nine and playing Franklin Theater on the thirtieth. Go check them out. We wall come see a show too. I'm trying to come see a show you guys.
Speaker 4: Let me know if y'all really want to con then we will make sure y'all have tickets and your better halbs.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Yeah, thanks for hanging out God's Country. We'll see you'all next time. Peace.