Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's hour two on this Wednesday, Dan and the Dan It's Dan Patrick Show, Come on in stay Awhile got through the first hour trying to figure out exactly what happened at the Garden last night, and a lot happened at the Garden the final minute overtime And now who's favored seventy six ers go back home Thursday night against the Knicks eight seven, seven to three DP show. That's our phone number if you want to donal us up. Operators sitting by Tyler take your phone calls. Stat of the Day is always brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of our program. Say good morning. You're watching on Peacock. Thank you for letting us into your life. And our radio affiliate's over four hundred cities that carry the program. Pull question for hour two, Well, let's recamp hour one seedon.
Speaker 3: Let's recap shell alrighty, that sounds good. Okay, This one's about Nick sixers. The most frustrating part of last night's game. If you're a Knicks fan, it's either fouling on the three, not fouling on the other three or missing the free throws right now, it's a runaway, absolute runaway. Sixty one percent of the audience with the free throws. Oh, hit your free throws and you win the game. I completely agree.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, But even if you don't hit your free throws, if you don't foul on the three point that was made by Maxi, or you foul before he takes the three and then he makes two free throws, you're still going to win.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but those are like to me, it feels like there was are errors in judgment rather than like there's I was always raised to think there's no excuse to miss a foul shot. Yeah, there's no excuse other than like lack of concentration. There's no excuse. So you have to knock those down. You knock those down, the game's over, or maybe it gets a little tight like it did for Josh Hart used sort of short armed bows. Neither of these teams shot well from the line. Both shot sixty seven percent. But the knicks at home make your free throws. Yeah, Paulding, I disagree with the results of this so much. Like free throws, Yes, there's only so much control you have making or missing a stupid play. The four point play opens the door for a one possession game. If they don't foul him, they have to they have to foul, and then it's a four point or five point game. It's two possessions with twenty seconds to go. I mean that stupidity trump's inability. I guess the foul shots. You have one hundred percent control if they go in or out. There's no other factors other than you either make it the right way.
Speaker 4: But they're not a choice. You mean, you can't choose to make You don't need a choice. You're choosing to foul the guy.
Speaker 2: Well, but you have to make sure that you do the right thing in fouling him when you foul him, and making sure that you don't foul him while he's shooting his three. If you make your free throws, then the game is over. Like, hey, it's not my fault. I missed all and it doesn't matter what Maxi does. But you miss your free throws. Now you've brought in. We got to make decisions with Maxi. And like, really good teams don't do that where you're crowding somebody shooting the three and then you let him draw contact and then he gets over. They set a screen at half court because Embiid knew that Maxi was going to take that shot there, and even Nick Nurse said, yes, we have a couple of options off that play, but it wasn't going back to anybody else. That's where if you're the Knicks, who's the guy. I gotta stop Maxi. That's it. I don't have to worry about anybody else. And if Nicholas Buttoom hits a shot, okay, I'll live with that. The hottest guy on the planet. I got to make sure that he doesn't have the shot. And Tyree's Maxie was not going to pass. It's just like the seventy six ers said, we're going to make somebody else other than Jalen Brunson beat us. And Jalen Brunson still tried to beat the seventy six ers and he did not have I mean, he had good numbers, but he did not have a good game. If you look at the totality of that, what happened when they needed him the most, they did not play well at all, and Joe Ellenbiid was a detriment to his team in the fourth quarter, but he had a triple double, almost had a quadruple double with nine turnovers. He just didn't look comfortable. He's kind of dragging himself up and down the floor. I can't imagine how much energy he's going to have. He've got one day rest and then they got the game Thursday night. Before the playoffs started, there had been three games in the last twenty five years that had Senior team come back from a deficit of at least five points inside the final thirty seconds and win the game. So three of those games in the last twenty five years. After last night, we've had two in this series.
Speaker 5: Stead of the Daytat of the Day, here comes, stead of the day Aystat of the Days stat of the Day, here comes ms the stat of.
Speaker 2: The Zagudarius Stat of the Day, brought to you by panadi America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. I mentioned Jalen Brunson had numbers. He's the third player in NBA history with at least one hundred and twenty five or more points and twenty five or more assists in a three game span in the playoffs. There's only two other players who have done that in NBA history. Michael Jordan and Lebron James. Of course. Yeah. Lebron did it with the Cabs in twenty eighteen, Mike did it with the Bulls in nineteen eighty nine. And he's averaging thirty four point four points per game in the series, and that's the most since Bernard King averaged forty two points per game in the nineteen eighty four Conference quarters against Detroit. If he did not have that knee injury, caly was he He was unstoppable. To be six six, and he was unstoppable. And I don't know if history will be has been as kind to Bernard King's greatness as maybe it should be.
Speaker 6: Yes, Marv is Bernard King the last generation's version of Derrick Rose.
Speaker 2: Oh, if he didn't get an injury, right, Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 6: Like we just had a two or three year stretch where you were just unbelievable, and an injury just stopped all of it.
Speaker 2: God, Bernard King was so good. I remember going to those games the Garden and the Celtics did not want to see Bernard King. He did. Nobody could guard him, no one. And I remember doing an interview with Bernard King, and if you were familiar with his game, he would do this devastating turnaround jumper, and I said, how do you get that shot off? Because he would shoot it over Kevin McHale, who was seven feet tall, and he said that he started shooting before he turned around. So a lot of guys will turn and then shoot. Bernard figured out that he could start to shoot while he turned, and then he was getting a shot off before he had an opportunity to block it. And then I started watching him and I realized what he was doing, and it was just fascinating because you go back to Tennessee. I remember when he was in high school in New York and his brother was more famous, Albert King was more famous than Bernard King. But he goes to Tennessee and you know, you're just you're watching somebody where you go. Yeah, that size, though, I wonder if he can play and you know, dominate in the NBA. Then he got there and he could score. Yeah, poem.
Speaker 4: Bernard King in eighty four and eighty five was twenty eight years old and hitting his peak. He was thirty three points a game without the three point line. Basically he didn't take any threes. Yeah, and he injured himself towards the end of that season. They drafted Patrick Ewing two months later. If he stays healthy, you had Bernard King at twenty eight and Patrick Ewing at twenty two for the next five years in New York City.
Speaker 2: It was nice that Patrick Ewing was there at the Garden and got his flowers with the crowd there. John Starks was there. Yeah, I had a lot of your celebrities. John McEnroe was there, John Stewart was there.
Speaker 6: Yes, Marmon, I'm loving this for Patrick Ewing and John Starks and those guys that didn't win. They feel like the Buffalo Bills, where you appreciate what they did thirty years later.
Speaker 2: Okay, that was all I had. Thank you, mar Just appreciate him hating the Celtics. Game five tonight, the Celtics without Christops Porzingis and the mAbs at the Clippers. That'll be Game five. Cabs up three to two on the Magic Bucks win. Surprise, surprise, Pacers still up three to two. Now, good chance you're getting Dame back and Janni's back. The Pacers blow that opportunity, all right, pull question Seaton. Yeah, we got up there from Paulie. If you could get courtside tickets to MSG and you can sit with. You have two options of who you could sit Patrick Ewing, John Starks, Mellow, Larry Johnson, or you could sit with Chris Rock, Ben Stiller, Morgan, John Stewart. Oh, I would sit with the the actors, Yeah, I mean I.
Speaker 3: Would Comics making jokes would be pretty fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd rather be with those guys. I don't know if they're making jokes, but when we go to the green room, I get to hang out with them. I love Patrick Ewing and sitting next to him would be fun. But I don't need to sit next to Mellow or Grandmama watching a game John Starks. But I would go the actors and the comedians. Anybody going for the players, Hollywood.
Speaker 4: I love you going too much. It's a close one, Chris Rock, but Ewing in a close race.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll get some phone calls here coming up. The Angels have lost Mike Trout indefinitely with a knee injury. You you know, you start to look at this, it's hard to feel sad for somebody who's got three MVPs going to the Hall of Fame. He's got four hundred million dollars, But I do because I feel like, you know, we get cheated. You want to see the best players get the opportunity to play on the biggest stages, and he's not getting that opportunity and probably won't because he's been injured the last couple of years. But it feels like he's been in the top five for MVP maybe eight of his eight of his years with the Angels. Oh yeah, no doubt. And they're not getting any better. They missed their opportunity. I mean they tried. You know, they have Josh Hamilton and Albert Pooholes. You know, you get o Tani a gift. But he's going to be thirty three this summer. He's got three playoff games to show for. But that was ten years ago that he had playoff games. You're like, oh my god, so.
Speaker 3: And that's a long that's a fast ten years. Well maybe not for him, but for the rest of us, that was that's a very fast ten years.
Speaker 2: At what point does he entertain the possibility of going someplace else? Do the Angels I don't even know why, Well, does he want to go back maybe to Philadelphia? Does he like how important is winning? How do you broach that topic with the Angels, or let's say the Angels are like the Mike, what do you think like East Coast bias? You know, maybe go play the Phillies. Maybe we could accommodate you there, because the Angels need to move on at some point. But I mean they got other bad contracts, Rendon. I mean they tried, it just didn't work. What is the value of the Angels franchise now as opposed to what it was, say a year ago, when you had Trout, you had Otani. Even though we kept saying, if I'm already moreno and I own the Angels, I'm going to try to trade Otani and get something now, they wouldn't got, you know, a dollar for a dollar there. But still we wondered this was not going.
Speaker 3: To end well.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll get to some phone calls here coming up. We'll take a break then in a little bit. Ryan Reynolds, Rob mclehanney. It's season three of Welcome to Wrexham, great series on FX. So they'll join us. Coming up, Dan and Iowa joints us. Good morning, Dan, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 2: Boys?
Speaker 7: First time, long time, five eleven and three quarters in a real fleshy to twelve. Thanks for taking the call real quick. Before I get to my point, I do want to thank you for your Vegas deals. I was at the one with Brent Musburger, and to be able to meet and talk to Brent and Jim nance was oh cool right up there, we're I mean, that was so cool right up there with you know, kids being born and getting married and all that crap. But I really appreciate that. It was a lot of fun. Hey, new York, New York, New York. Greatest song about a city in state.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 7: And then my question for you guys, and I really don't have an answer for this, but if you could have attended any of the greatest sporting events, whether you were alive or not at the time, you know, bay Ruth called shot Tiger Woods Masters, Game seven of World Series anything like that, what would you have wished that you could have attended in person?
Speaker 2: I'd have to give that some thought, Dan, I've been lucky to have gone to quite a few of these legendary, memorable events, you know, when Tiger won at Augusta the first time, you know, being there. World Series eighty six ball goes through Buckner's legs. Magic. It's the skyhook and the Boston Garden, whether it's Olympics, super Bowls, been very, very fortunate. But now i'd have to give that some thought. Mark and Michigan. Hey Mark, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 7: That is great?
Speaker 8: And how you doing good?
Speaker 7: First time?
Speaker 8: Long time? Appreciate everything you guys do. Five ten card two twenty, heyk you. I just wanted to give a shout out to my Detroit Lions. Been an amazing year. Crazy in the off Dave was great. The draft. Everybody's showing up with the draft. It's not amazing. I also look at my Wolverine. I work in Mount loves At Michigan, home of the Chippewas, and I was at the launched last week. Got up to leave. I saw some CMU staff on my left looked like athletic trainers, and so I asked the guy that just between me and you, what's that kind of saliens on the sideline at the Michigan State Games? And he said absolutely not. So there it is caters case boat.
Speaker 2: Let's move on doing it. Yeah. Well, NCAA didn't see that. Harball left, Michigan got got their wrists slap there, So something was going on there. See if I'm Michigan, just you guys keep bringing it up, trying to defend this. I don't. I moved on from it, and you know they've changed the you can now correspond, you can talk to your quarterback through his helmet. So now that doesn't you know You're You're not there on the sidelines trying to steal signals, but somebody went through an awful lot to get some kind of information there. Whether it helped you or not, it's gonna stay with you, and I wouldn't. I'd be like, eh, like if I'm an Astros fan and like he deal with it, we want it. You ain't taken away from us. And if you're Michigan still won the national title, it seems to bother you more that people haven't, you know, knighted you. Hey you're the national champ's congratulations it's yeah, but so what who cares? It's like when fans call up and say, hey, you know, we get no respect. Who cares? Why do you want respect from somebody If you don't respect what their opinion is, like, if they don't give it to you, then you're begging for it. Who cares. Congratulations Michigan, you won the national title. When you got on the football field, you were a great team. That is a dominating team. And we saw all the players going into the draft. But it just feels like there's this insecurity of I'm going to keep bringing this up until you finally admit you got punished by it. So there was something there, all right, let me take a break and we'll talk to Ryan Reynolds and Rob macklhinney. Ryan, of course, the great actor. Rob is always sunny in Philadelphia, and they went in Habsi's on Welcome Direcsham the soccer team. It's season three of Welcome Direction. We'll talk to those guys coming up here little bit back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 9: Hey, this is Tom Berducci from Fox Sports, MLB Network and Sports Illustrated.
Speaker 8: And I'm Joe Madden, and we're going to be around to talk a little bit about managerial decisions and what may have accredited to the dugout maybe in the nineteen eighties.
Speaker 9: It's the Book of Joe podcasts.
Speaker 2: I can't wait for this, Joe.
Speaker 9: We're going to dive into what goes on in the dugout and behind the scenes in Major League.
Speaker 10: Baseball, cars, wind, whatever else we want to talk about.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well there are no boundaries, right. Listen to the Book of Joe podcast on the iHeartRadio app, on Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Today's Mercedes Benz Interview of the Day brought to you by the superbly versatile All Electric EQB from Mercedes Benz. Feeling is all Mercedes the vehicle all Electric. Learn more at nbusa dot com, slash eq more phone calls. Coming up Season three of Welcome to Wrexham. It premieres with two episodes tomorrow. That's a ten Eastern end Pacific on FX, also available the next day on Hulu. We got a chance to speak to the owners of Wrexham AFC and the executive producers of Welcome to Wrexham, Ryan Reynolds and Rob McIlhaney. We talked to them a couple of weeks ago and here is our conversation. That's a handsome contest and I think I'm kicking ass right now?
Speaker 10: You sure are sure?
Speaker 2: Are all right?
Speaker 10: I didn't wear my Monster Energy drink colors today. I'm glad you did.
Speaker 2: Do you have a problem with that?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 10: No, that is a solid sweatshirt.
Speaker 12: Actually most I do not own a neutral colored sweatshirt anymore.
Speaker 2: It just feels like we're setting the tone here, and I don't know if I like the tone that's being set. I would give you a yellow card right now, right, Yeah.
Speaker 10: I know much.
Speaker 12: I know better than to anger, mister, mister Dan Patrick, I would never never even dare.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, now, let's play nice.
Speaker 13: Okay, okay, I believe what you're wearing is brave. Now that's worse than what I said.
Speaker 2: That's a shot too. That's a shot too.
Speaker 11: It's not what are you talking about?
Speaker 10: Bravery?
Speaker 2: I could kick both of your asses if I wanted to.
Speaker 11: I do not doubt that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's not do that, Okay, all right? How close? Did this almost not happen? Rob uh?
Speaker 10: On the entire endeavor?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Uh not at all?
Speaker 13: I mean I think it was. It was something we were going to figure out how to do. It was just a matter of how to do it. But once the pieces started coming together. It was it was clear that it was that it was going to happen.
Speaker 2: Ryan, your best day has been what with this this club?
Speaker 10: My best day?
Speaker 12: You know, it's you, you know the automatically I think you might think that it was being promoted. But but I have two best days that are tied. One is I think when the club drew against Sheffield. I just the the you know, there's the Championship League club that went up to the Premier League that same season, and you know, the kind of heart and soul that we saw in that field that day was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. And then the other moment I think was probably Ben Foster save against Notts County. You know, and also you know, I'd been privy to Ben's doing an interview a year before where he said, they said, what would be your fictionalized greatest moment in a football game that you could ever dream up, no matter how ridiculous, and he described that moment I think to the letter.
Speaker 10: Which happened to him a year later.
Speaker 12: You know, coming out of retirement like that was I don't think I've ever been that emotional in my life.
Speaker 2: Worst day, Rob, oh.
Speaker 11: Wow, I would say that that loss, the.
Speaker 13: Loss against Grimsby Town in the playoff at the end of the first season was was pretty low.
Speaker 11: That was that was that was pretty low.
Speaker 13: I would I would probably have to rank that as one of the worst days of the of the experience.
Speaker 2: When did you guys decide or did you decide to ship the focus from you two to the actual team, the actual club from the outs.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that was that was That was the sure thing, mainly because and and and it wasn't because we were being falsely modest that the real the thing that is so compelling about this town is its inhabitants and people, I mean, and in their relationship to this club and how so many of their benchmark moments, hopes, dreams, and feelings are uh, that corollary between that and the club is just unbelievable. So and and also the stories are just falling off the trees out there. I mean, it's it's incredible to walk around talk to people. You just you can't believe the kind of character they have.
Speaker 13: It's really and we knew that that would maybe draw people, that we would be able to draw people to at least attention to to come and watch the first episode, but that it really would get old very quickly just watching the two of us bumble around, and ultimately those weren't the stories we wanted to tell. We wanted to tell the stories that we believe in as a sports fan. That most sports fans don't understand is that actually sports are not about triumph.
Speaker 11: They're actually about loss and despair.
Speaker 13: And because that's the vast majority of what being a fan is, and how do you overcome adversity and if you can transcend sport and talk about that as people are going through cancer or going through difficult things, mental issues in their lives, or literally just trying to get through the day on a basic wage through as the cost of living is being raised, we thought that that would be a much more compelling show and that and A Fish.
Speaker 10: Out of Water is really a sea plot. You know, how you're going to can take you can't?
Speaker 12: Sustainability isn't there with that sort of mindset, So yeah, it was it no brainer.
Speaker 2: Well, also, we look at sports movies like Bull Durham or Hoosier's and they're not really sports movies. It's about relationships and trying to capture those relationships is why we invest like I want to invest in somebody that I would never invest in. And that's what you guys were able to capture. Like there was a Leads United documentary. I watched it, Sunderland until I die. I watched it. I'm like, I don't even care, but I cared so damn much about it. And that's yeah, Like you guys go from scripted, this is nonscripted. How much do you can you control anything or do you want to control anything? With that?
Speaker 12: One thing I could speak today is that you know Wrexham is is Yeah, it's a town in North Wales, but it's also a town in Pennsylvania. It's a town in Saskatchewan, Canada, It's it's it's Australia, it's Brazil, it's all. It's everywhere. I mean, there's working class to people see themselves in that, and that story to me is quite quite evergreen.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 12: But you know the thing that I I I probably you know, will never ever forget is that first step, that first time we went to Wrexham because what I think the thing that's most insane about the story is we couldn't go there because it was the apex of the of the pandemic, we couldn't actually go there, so we had sort of assumed stewardship of this club before ever you know, touching a blade of grass in the racecourse, which is you know, this is the most financially irresponsible endeavor you would ever possibly find. It's just absolute idiocy on paper. But you know, we don't know that much about financial investments. Said, but what we do love, and something we've loved a whole adult lives is emotional investment. And emotional investment can kind of create that moat around something. And I feel like that mode is around Wrexham and and and it is special for that reason.
Speaker 13: Have you got people ask people ask me all the time to like, well, what are my one of my favorite documents sports documentaries, and like what are the biggest influences in making the show? And then I'll say, it's actually not a documentary, And then they'll say, oh, it's got to be Rocky because we make a lot of Rocky references. And clearly there's a lot of Rocky in my life and a lot of Rocky in the story. But the truth of the matter is that the movie that has been the most influential and the one that I want the show to feel most like is Field of.
Speaker 12: Dreams, which is not a movie about baseball, and of course it's you know.
Speaker 13: Of course not it's about a father and a son. And that is exactly the story that we want to.
Speaker 10: Tell about every movie I've ever produced. I've stolen the score.
Speaker 12: From Field of Dreams, and that's been our temp score for the whole thing. And I realized the last couple of years that it's just cheating. Nothing will ever live up to it, So stop doing it, So I don't.
Speaker 2: They are the owners of Wrexham AFC. We're talking to Ryan Reynolds, Rob mclihanny joining us. Season three of FX is Welcome to Rexham premiers with two episodes on May second at ten pm Eastern End Pacific on FX, available the next day on Hulu. If you guys played in an exhibition match, how would you fare? Oh God?
Speaker 12: I mean if the exhibition match was in the lobby of a hospital, I think.
Speaker 3: I'd be all right.
Speaker 10: I mean, you know, given how close the proximity is for medical attention, But no, what position would I play?
Speaker 13: I mean I think that the thing that because you just can't help it, you're like, wow, I'm in pretty good shape.
Speaker 11: Maybe I could keep up a little bit.
Speaker 13: No, And at the end of one of the games, we had Charlie Day and the rest of the cast of Sunny come out and the guys that already played the game, and what they do is they warmed down at the end of the games, which is tragic that they just run six miles at full speed, but they still have to warm down.
Speaker 10: So they're running a very slow pace.
Speaker 13: And Charlie's like, I'm gonna rent with these guys to see if i can keep up, and they're they're running at half speed and he is running at full speed and he could barely make it across the pitch.
Speaker 12: The greatest song ever written was the sound of Charlie Day's hamstring snap for the center line at the Wrexham Racecourse ground, like a beautiful harp.
Speaker 2: Uh, Ryan, are you going to have Blake maybe be your Taylor Swift with the franchise here?
Speaker 12: Well, there is only one Taylor Swift and there will never be another Taylor Swift.
Speaker 10: So but but but.
Speaker 12: Blake is as emotionally invested as anyone. I mean, she's been a ton of matches.
Speaker 2: Well, can you get Taylor to show up maybe as you know.
Speaker 10: That would be a coup. Yeah, I would love that. Actually, I know for sure the Kelsey Brothers are coming out to a game.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that season four.
Speaker 10: That's our that's our door plan.
Speaker 1: That's dude.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's how you how you lure the Queen Bee?
Speaker 2: Are you are? Are you still trying to buy a hockey team? Right? No, sir, No, not at all? Ottawa?
Speaker 12: Uh no, No, I love Ottawa. I spent time there as a kid. I lived in Vannier. Uh And but no, that is a that is a not not happening.
Speaker 2: All right, So just one franchise is all you can have?
Speaker 12: This is I mean, look, I wake up in the morning. Eighty percent of the emails in my inbox have to do the Wrexham. I mean it's this is a I'm chewing and blowing bubbles with Wrexham all the livelong day.
Speaker 10: I don't there's nothing, there's no room for anything else.
Speaker 2: But if you ever said, hunt, I just bought a midfielder, Like, do you ever have one of those days where you know, wait, what are you doing? Ah? I got a striker?
Speaker 12: You know, Well, it's like beer, you're borrowing it really Uh, yeah, you're I don't think you're buying or owning, but yeah, but.
Speaker 13: Yeah, but we are investing heavily into those players. But yes, it's the same. It's it's actually a lot like golf, where like you could have as everybody know that plays golf, nobody cares about how you played golf, and so I'll come home and I'll be like, honey, i shot an eighty and she's like, oh my god, do the dishes.
Speaker 10: And I'm like, I get it. So but it's a similar thing where.
Speaker 13: I'm like, honey, we just we just like signed a midfielder and she's like, oh my god, congratulations. She's actually really legitimately excited. So that that's a really a really good feeling there. She's very much invested in the pan.
Speaker 2: Well, hopefully you guys are are you still acting? You guys gonna actor? You've given up acting, So.
Speaker 10: I'm sorry, Dan, we're out.
Speaker 2: Oh well, that's a cliffhanger.
Speaker 13: Let me say one Let me say one thing before you go, because I've met you in person many times and I've said this to you already, but i'd like to say it on your show. And I'm sure you you hear this from so many people, but you are such a huge part of my generation and so many people younger than me and maybe a little bit older, in bringing the story of sports to life in a way that I'd never scene before, to bring you literally created it the comedy but also the excitement, and to present it in a way to a whole new generation of sporting fan I believe actually like change sports, and so I think that you in particular have just been a beacon and a guiding force for us.
Speaker 10: To be able to do what we do.
Speaker 12: One of the great storyteller that I know we're run out of time a long time ago. But I also want to say that I was so nervous the first time I got to meet you, and is at Super Bowl twenty sixteen in San Francisco, and I sat on your show there, and I was utterly geeked out because You've been one of the great sports storytellers of a generation. And I'm we're very grateful to have got to actually sit down in the hot seat with you.
Speaker 2: And I don't like Rob was sincere. You weren't as sincere with that. Ryan.
Speaker 10: No, I'm just competing Rob. I wasn't at Super Bowl in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: That was it has been affleck Okay.
Speaker 11: I like that. I love that.
Speaker 10: You can't take a compliment, just just like we can't.
Speaker 11: So that's fine.
Speaker 10: You just the flat. You just the flat.
Speaker 2: You go ahead, have a great day, everybody, and good luck to season three. Thank you, guys, thank you. That's Ryan Reynolds, Rob mackleil hanning Season three of FX is welcome Direction. You know, the moderator interrupts us.
Speaker 3: His face, Ryan Reynolds's face, I'm sorry, Dan, we're at time. His face was absolutely pit. That was priceless.
Speaker 2: Welcome Direction tomorrow at ten eastern end Pacific on FX.
Speaker 4: Yes, Paul, do you remember this happened a long long time ago. We Fritzy worked for like six months to book Tom Cruise, and we got Tom Cruise on and we're four minutes into the innery, six minutes in and the moderator jumps. He goes, Tom has to move on to entertainment side or whatever, and you will whoa, whoa, whoa, and Tom Cruise jumps, he goes, We're good. I'm good with Dan. Dan, go as long as you want. And you did another like eight minutes with Tom Cruise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's cool interrupting us. We were on a roll.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry Dan.
Speaker 2: And then Rob.
Speaker 11: Rob.
Speaker 2: I've had private conversations with about, you know, doing some business together, and this is a couple of years ago, and he's always been very nice. But I thought that he was being sincere. I thought Ryan was maybe acting like he was sincere, and that's why I called him out. But it was good acting.
Speaker 11: Though.
Speaker 3: It's tough to be the second guy, yes, in that it's tough to be sincere after following the person who seems more sincere.
Speaker 2: It would have been nice if Ryan started it instead of Rob. I think Ryan was sincere. I do.
Speaker 3: I think he just unfortunately was second man in.
Speaker 2: Well, the only actor in this room. I would say, I think he was acting sincere, but he's a good actor. Todd, were you buying then?
Speaker 8: I was?
Speaker 13: But I understand the thought of the piggybacking thing where whoever said it first?
Speaker 2: We've had that here too. You do that all show? Who said good show and that got Yeah, good show to youre too? Yeah what is that right? Man? Yeah? Your nickname is piggyback. That's what you do. You just piggyback somebody else.
Speaker 10: I miss Piggyback.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, how about we take a break? Take a break? Baseball game delayed by bees? Have that for you coming up?
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP. There are a lot of bees on top of the back stuff. And at first it's like, oh wow, that's a lot of bees.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: But now it's like, this game's probably not going to start on time.
Speaker 2: That's what happened last night the Dodgers and the Diamondbacks. It was delayed by a nest of bees for a couple of hours. Matt Hilton was the star. He sucked up all the bees with a shop vacuum and then took them off site. And for his heroics, he got to throw out the ceremonial first pitch. If you've ever been around people who love their bees, and uh like you know, they put on the whole outfit. My my wife wanted honey for her ice cream store, so she wanted to have her own bees. Well it's kind of hard to have bees out by the pool when you have kids coming over. And I said, Hunt probably not the best area to have bees there. I mean they don't care because there to you know, support the queen, and I of course was there to support the queen as well. And uh, but you know that I'm fascinated with what we do with bees and and the importance that bees have in our in our world. Yes, poem.
Speaker 4: People were asking is there a bee keeper on staff at Major League ballparks?
Speaker 2: And there's not.
Speaker 4: So the director of operations for the Diamondbacks got an update from someone on the field that said, we have an issue just before first pitch, and and they had to call this guy, Matt Hilton. He works for a Blue Sky Pest Control.
Speaker 2: Of course, or the best, the best for bees, removing bees from a baseball part been.
Speaker 4: Using them forever. He was at his son's little league t ball game and he got the call. He jumped in his car. He had to drive forty five minutes to downtown Phoenix, grabbed his beekeeper gear.
Speaker 2: Because you got to be ready to rock. What isn't Jason Statham didn't he have a movie called The Bee Keeper?
Speaker 4: Yes, not based on this.
Speaker 2: Oh it's not because he could have been there to help them out the dangers of beekeeper.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what happens when a beekeeper goes rogue?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: There as he got done, the PA announcer played Bonnie Tyler's holding out for our hero as he walked off the field.
Speaker 2: That's a good synergy. Okay. Is there a better song for the guy, you know, taking out the bees?
Speaker 1: There?
Speaker 4: Something by sting?
Speaker 2: How about the bee?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 2: Sting? I'm going to give you a blue that one. I was going to go the bees fifty two's fifty two yeah, beg's Yeah, Todd, you got Anything's is the way to go. Thank you, Todd. Piggyback.
Speaker 11: I did it again.
Speaker 2: Yeah you did. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Imagine doing your job that you normally do in private in front of like what thirty thousand at a diamondbackscine. I don't know how many people are there, but you know, and everyone's just sitting there looking at you, staring at you, waiting for you, because everything hinges on you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: There is a football game, maybe seven or eight years ago, Big twelve title game or Big ten Title game Wisconsin. Somebody there was a rip in the turf, the field turf right at the goal line. The greenskeeper had to run out on the field and on National TV in the middle of the game. I think it was like second quarter had to patch the field together and everyone's just sitting there waiting.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, that's tough. The turf guy, go out there, people watching you normally you're doing that at anonymity. I got all these people. Come on, turf guy, let's go.
Speaker 3: How many beekeepers can there be in the area.
Speaker 2: I don't know. In Phoenix, I don't know is there?
Speaker 3: I mean if and if the one that they found was forty five minutes away at a t ball game. Is that something that you have regular are set hours for? Probably not be keeping.
Speaker 2: Are you dealing with bees at night? You may have to be on call. It's a serious thing. Someone's going to attack my Is that.
Speaker 3: Something you do for a living?
Speaker 4: You get a little buzz on your phone?
Speaker 2: Oh own her are by the way? We uh? Somebody unearthed some video from Billy Joel's concert last Friday night, and I of course him in third row, right in front of Billy, and they play Uptown Girl and his ex wife, Christy Brinkley, who the song is about. And you can see me on camera in my puffer coat and I'm pointing down the road because Christy Brinkley is probably I don't know, thirty feet away from me, as if people wouldn't know that she was there. But I of course in pointing like she's right uptowner.
Speaker 3: Do you think at any point he Billy Joel was like singing and he's like, hey, Dan Patrick.
Speaker 2: No, no, I don't think so. I hope not. I hope not.
Speaker 3: There's that guy who keeps pointing at it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, Dan Patrick, who's the guy who's drinking iced tea? It's jack and coke? He says on the keys, Da da da da da d Yeah. Mario said that some people in social media were like, how soft is Dan Patrick's drinking iced tea at Billy Joel concert? It's a double jack and coke? Do for forty three dollars?
Speaker 3: You drink whatever you want?
Speaker 2: But I thank you. See you have nothing to prove you. Yeah, yeah, you got nothing to do.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: You'll bring a cup of milk here if I want? Did you guys get out of here?
Speaker 2: David in Bakersfield, Good morning, David, what's on your mind?
Speaker 14: Thank you?
Speaker 1: Dan?
Speaker 14: The first time caller. I'm a DP in Baco or David Paul in Bakersfield five foot nine, one hundred and ninety five quick pickleball pound.
Speaker 2: M.
Speaker 14: Now you mentioned the the Dwight Yoakam and Buck Owen song The Streets of Bakersfield. Yeah, and my choice is the Midnight Train to Georgia by Gladys Knight and the Pips.
Speaker 2: All right. Uh, there's also we had somebody saying what's the best city or state song? Uh? Brian Baumgartner, Kevin from the office. He sent in, I think Georgia on my mind, there's also Georgia. Any other submissions there that George is Ray Charles right, Yes, Georgia. Wow.
Speaker 3: Why Georgia why? Uh?
Speaker 2: John Mayor, John Mayor, John Mayor, Yes, yes.
Speaker 6: I would say it's the best. Mcgarth Brooks had a song called Baton Rouge, which was very good.
Speaker 4: Calling Baton Rouge. Yeah, last train of Clarksville bout the Monkeys, Yes.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, it's Clarksville. A real place, Clarksville, Tennessee.
Speaker 4: I think so there's a few clarks Bill's. There's one in Mississippi as well. We're guessing don't go back to Rockville.
Speaker 2: R E. M. Yes, yes, Marv Coocomo by the Each Boy.
Speaker 3: Not a real place.
Speaker 2: Folesome Prison Blues Indiana. Yeah, yeah, that's what they were talking about. Yes, they were a Aruba Jim make.
Speaker 6: Great song.
Speaker 4: Johnny Cash has a song I've Been Everywhere. We mentioned eighty towns in the song.
Speaker 2: Now, I wonder when he was doing that, like just trying to keep the order of that, you would probably have a prompter. Now, Billy Joel had a prompter when he was singing, which people I think might be surprised that you know these artists, but if you have so many songs and you're trying to remember the words to it, But he's got a prompter right there on the floor in front of him. We didn't stop Weed did the fire?
Speaker 14: The fire? Why do you.
Speaker 2: Think you've done? You're not great? Okay?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm looking at Variety mag and they did a pick piece on why they use them. Sometimes in concert they play an old song that hasn't been played in forever just to mix up their set list. Also, some of the songs, the lyrics are changed, either shortened or lengthened for a concert version, which is not the recorded version.
Speaker 2: Got to you Okay, that was not scripted. The geniuses behind Jomboy Media, a part of the Dan Patrick Show podcast platform, they'll join us. Coming up, they'll talk about how they stumbled onto the Astros cheating scandal. One More Hour to Go. On this Wednesday, Todd seton Pauli and Marvin