Speaker 1: There's a.
Speaker 2: Stage La Packer Bray Ship.
Speaker 1: We will sue you's the Gorner Welcome to one hang out.
Speaker 2: The week on the Just Baseball Show Top ten Team Outfield. We've got a whole bunch to get to this week. We've got a World Baseball Classic preview and prediction episode. Peter is going to be back to drop his I guess picked to win and probably pick to make it out of each pool. But me, Jack him Arum are taking you through Team Outfields here on Monday, March sixth. First and foremost, I've never understood the whole Royal family thing. Did you see my tweet on Sunday morning? William and Kate were at a spin class in like a suit and address and they had like a quick twenty second race and it made Reuters like it made global news and there was a video of it and then the rest of the spin class had to clap after the twenty second race. It was the dumbest shit I've ever seen. And Clay Snowden, one of our writers, made a great comment about it. He was like, Americans know way too much about celebrities, Like what if we knew less? And my thought is, yes, you're not helping, not helping, but what do we do about the Royal Family? Because like, what do.
Speaker 3: You ignore them? That's what I do. I legitimately don't even like the names that you just mentioned. If you gave me a lineup of faces, I would not be able to line them up. I'm not kidding. South Mark actually just had a great episode on on the Royal Family and in that situation, which was really really funny, so I would I would recommend checking that out. But now I I it's one of my biggest pet peeves on earth that specifically not a reality TV guy, not a Royal Family guy, And yeah, I'm checked out. I don't I don't pay attention whatsoever.
Speaker 2: I eat up a good season of the Bachelor, and like I eat up my numbing television.
Speaker 3: I don't judge that. I don't judge that. That's that's that's some good mind numbing stuff to like just unplug and change it up. I'm okay with that, But I draw the line at like inside Edition, let me keep up with what every celebrity is doing and just like make their lives feel miserable because they have no privacy.
Speaker 2: So you're not a keeping up with the Kardashians person, I assume hell no, okay me neither me neither. I think my thing with the Royal family is like I care so little about them that I want to know what's going on because I think it's funny.
Speaker 3: I yeah, I just I don't even get it. I don't what do they do? They just get money for I think so like Royal I don't. I don't don't understand that that's thing anymore. It's twenty twenty thirty, right, you see a separate government that like actually makes decisions.
Speaker 2: They just know they have a prime minister, Like, yeah, forget it, move off. Are a baseball time? Yes, yeah, we're gonna talk about team outfields before that. A couple of a couple of overreactions from spring training come from Tampa and Cincinnati. Cincinnati Ellie de la Cruz with a triple in a nuke Christian and karnassion Strand with what a four hundred and forty foot home run? Are you all the way pot in on that or what? I like?
Speaker 3: I am? And I'm not like, I know he's going to hit for a ton of power. I'm just worried about like the hit tools and everyday player Uh, we know he can do that. You know, so Red's prospects, Christian and karnassion Strand he's gonna hit you your tape measure shots. It's just can you catch up to vll Oh. It's got a little bit of a pushy swin, which is gonna make Vello a little bit difficult. But man, when he gets into one, he gets into one. Speaking of which, I just went to my first spring training game. It was a blast. It was a blast just to be at the field. The game itself kind of sucked. It was Marlins, Mets, Mark Vientos put on a show. And actually, I'm glad you brought up spring training real quick, because how about all of these youngsters, Man, Like, these aren't just the youngsters coming in against other youngsters. Curtis mead multi home run game is Ray Raise prospect, Mark Vianto's Mets prospect, multi home run game, Jordan freaking Walker basically almost it for the cycle. That's, of course, the Cardinals prospect. We're going to talk about all these guys in detail on the call up, but all of these guys pertain to the Just Baseball Show because they're making their damn case to be in the opening day lineup. And I don't think that Vientos is just because of the roster. I don't think that Meat is because of the rays. And I don't think that Walker should be because he has not played in Triple A yet and still needs to get his he wet in the outfield. But shit, man, Walker keeps doing this, I might have to put my hands up and just say, hey, just throw him out there. He's swinging it too well. So it's kind of funny because he would fit into this Cardinals outfield, which we will be talking about in this episode. But I just wanted to mention all the youngsters swinging it and spring training so far.
Speaker 2: Yeah. My other overreaction was TODJ. Bradley looked great again for Tampa in the same game that Need had a multi homer day, So the youth is there. I think Taj Bradley is good enough to be in that opening day rotation, even though he will likely not be because they're so crowded. If Glassnow is hurt, he could be making a case for it. But I have no idea how severe Glassnow's issue is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so the thing with Taj is this splitter. That's the big X factor. And again we're going to talk about him when we start breaking down the top one hundred prospect lists should be out soon. But if his splitter is semi consistent, because his slider, you and I have seen it, it's phenomenal. The fast fall is fantastic. If the splitter is just semi consistent, this guy is going to be a problem. And guess what, Jack, It's been pretty consistent in spring training and look at what he's done. So man, if the Rays kind of get him right, that's a perfect guy to be able to plug into that rotation. And I would love I would love to see him starting triple ultimately too, just another guy just like make a few starts in triple, which is weird. I feel like I'm I'm I'm perpetuating service time manipulation here. But I just I like seeing guys like come into the big leagues hot, you know, kind of ride that wave in hot instead of like go sink or swim. See how you do. But yeah, my overreaction is going to be Mark Fianto should be their DH, you know, or at least their left handed mashing DH the Darren rough roll right away. I think he can be better than Rough from day one. I know they gave up some decent pieces for Rough, so they don't want to just you know, relegate him into the but I think Mark Vanto can be a better option right away. He took some freak swings at that game. He tomahawked one up and then also hit a really nice put a nice swing on a Dylan Floro you know, breaking ball, which you know, again this is I think this is a guy that can really produce for them.
Speaker 2: Mark Vanzos, Yeah, I was just on on Saturday night. I was just on Chatterbox Reds with Nick Kirby, who obviously does great work in Cincinnati, and you and I both know him and have read his stuff, has listened to his stuff, and Nick I kind of explained my thought process in regards to Christian and Karnacion strength because obviously he's kicking tail right now, He's kicking ass, said would he make sense on the opening day roster and I said no, because he I wanted to see him get comfortable and double, and then get comfortable and triple because my overwhelming prospect thought is in terms of hitters, the moment they get comfortable at a level, I think is when you can move him up. But I got to see him get comfortable and succeed at each level as post to arms, where like, if you look great for four starts, just go up to the next one. Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I agree with that too, especially.
Speaker 2: But I think the conversation changes with Jordan Walker because he's the He might be the best power hitting prospect in baseball. Yeah, he might be making his push for best hitting prospect in baseball, like not all around best offensive prospect in the game. If he continues to do what he's doing right now, it's hard not to put him on the opening day roster.
Speaker 3: He's going to force their hand if he keeps doing what he's doing it. And we've seen more teams push guys up from double, you know, and I think that's something that Walker looks like he could be ready. Uh you know. The one thing for him is the sliders. Maybe give him a little bit of trouble last year, but it looks like he's already making those adjustments. He didn't go yard off of some you know, random minor league filling guys. He went yard off of Josiah Gray, which I know a lot of people did. But then he went yard off of a couple other big league arms in that game, and he's continued to just mash against big leaguers, so I think that's something to really look at. My concern is the defense, But if you're hitting like that, who cares, and I think the defense will come along. But he could also kind of rotate in the DH roll or whatever. So I'm interested to see what they do. But Walker, if he keeps doing this, he's going to force their hand and people are going to be clamoring for him on the opening day roster, and I think we're already starting to see that momentum build a little bit. The one thing within karnasil streand real quick chasing way too much that that's something that'll get exposed more at the big, big level. I'd love to see him just show an improvement with the approach and double especially triple A where guys have better command, and then send him up there. I think that's a different case. Walker might be forcing the hand here for the Cardinals that said we're gonna talk about the outfield, where does he fit in? Obviously, once he's ready, you move somebody, because he's Jordan freaking Walker. But they've got a lot going on out there, and a lot of moving parts that I'm really interested. And that's why it's so surprising that they haven't traded from some of this surplus. But again, we'll get to that.
Speaker 2: Brother. The answer may be dh with Yepez, you move Yepez out of the dh roll, and it's just Jordan Walker's to lose. Right.
Speaker 3: I love yet Best too, though, I know, but it's Jordan Walker. Yet Best could be really special, but it's Jordan Walker. Yeah, Best could be special?
Speaker 2: Could yepes be Jordan Walker.
Speaker 3: I think he could be better than Jordan Walker for the first half of this season.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, that's fair. Through twenty at bats, Walker's hitting four point fifty with three homers. So yeah, Like, if he continues this, you make space.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you gotta know, you can't. You literally cannot. I think they should legitimately put him in situations where he is expected to fail, so that they could say, okay, here you struggled against Verlander. But or if he goes, you ont off Verlander, You're like, all right, here, we gotta do it.
Speaker 2: You want to be able to point to it like an arbitration hearings, Right, It's like this is what you did poorly this spring and this set, how you're not on these.
Speaker 3: Just sink or swim in the toughest spots. And I think they're going to do that. I think he's gonna be at the top of the order for them throughout the spring and they're gonna say struggle or if you can, if you can survive the final boss here, yeah, then there you go. You're good to go. And I think that's something he can rise to.
Speaker 2: Think about that lineup too. Nuke Bar's playing for Japan, Edmond's playing for Korea, Goldschmidt and Aeronado were playing for US. Like, there's a spot for Jordan Walker in the lineup every day. So he's going to be seeing a lot of the best arms because guess what, a lot of the best American arms, a lot of the best Dominican arms are not pitching for the US or the Dominican.
Speaker 3: Yep, yep, correct, So it should be fun. That's that's definitely got to follow closely the rest of spring training.
Speaker 2: Yep. All right, outfields, We've got three honorable mentions, and then of course the top ten, the two that we left off San Francisco and Minnesota Minnesota. Is Gallo, Buxton and Kepler Buckston obviously greats. Can't say on the field, Gallo, they figured out a way to shift against him.
Speaker 3: Boom, that's so funny.
Speaker 2: It's so funny, like they're royally fucked if he hits the ball to left field. But chances are he's not hitting the ball to left field.
Speaker 3: Dude, I think he can, Like, I think he's going to figure that out. And for those who didn't see it, they legit put two outfielders in left and right. Excuse me, they put.
Speaker 2: Nobody in shallow right, and they had the center fielder in the right field are pretty much playing straight up the right fielder towards the line a little bit.
Speaker 3: So there was like five hundred square feet of open space basically and in left and left center field, and like he could pop up into left field. Expected batting average of zero and it's gonna fall for a double triple. I'm really interested to see how this goes, because I think that Joey Gallo is capable of inside outing a pop up. The problem with the shift was those wouldn't play. You still had to hit the ball hard somewhere to fall because you had to hit it into the outfield hard because you had three outfielders. Still, the hard part was sneaking it through the infield. Regardless. Joey Gallo is is not a guy that we're you know, I think expecting to be much more than a slightly above replacement level player. So it's hard to put that outfield above that said, healthy bust In, some of the young guys performing that Kepler is underrated. If Warnick or somebody else kind of fits in here and can contribute, it's a it could be a good outfield, but it's just not proven enough and too many I think too much variants, even with their best player in Buxton and Center to put them in the top ten.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you can't or even in the honorable mentions, right, they might be Fifteen fourteen is San Francisco. And the way we went about this, and you can follow along the write up it's on just Baseball dot com. It's also in the episode description. And the way we did this is the projected starting outfielders are the three projected outfielders on fangrafts, but of course we're gonna mention the others that could factor in. San Francisco is the other like just missed, and that is Confordo, mikeys Streemsky, Mitch Hanneger and Jock Peterson has slated as like the opening day d H Right now, Conforto, I don't want anybody just banking on him being good. He missed an entire year of baseball more more.
Speaker 3: Like, and since the last time he's played, it's been how long, I mean, how many days do you think since the last time he played an actual Major league baseball game.
Speaker 2: It is the Jonathan Isaac thing, Like he's been gone for a really long time, So we.
Speaker 3: Don't know how his body's going to react. We don't know how It's been a long long time. So we'll see and and remember like this is a guy that we saw a lot of players impacted by the shortened twenty twenty season. He plays twenty twenty one, one hundred twenty five games after that, like, we'll see how he does. But that said, he wasn't doing that well too, right, Like twenty twenty one was a bad season for him. I like the Canfordo pickup. I think he can be good. I think it was a good deal for the Giants, but we can't bank on him. I agree he can't bank on him being anything more than a one and a half two win guy. I think he can very easily be better than that, but a bank on that would be would be malpractice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent. And Hanneger is good. We both like Hanneger. Mikeystremsky is solid, but they're they're not top fifteen, I don't think. And our three honorable mentions are Arizona, Chicago White Sox, and the LA Dodgers. Start with the Diamondbacks. As of right now, it's Corbyn Carroll, Alec Thomas, Jake McCarthy. You've got Lordus Gurriel as the DH type. This is an outfield that could be really good or could be underwhelming for our expectations, like Alec Thomas got optioned at the end of last year, but we also think Alec Thomas can be great, and we think Corbyn Carroll can be a six win player. But he also may sputter that there is a whole bunch of deviation available for the Arizona Diamondbacks.
Speaker 3: I would I could make a case. I think that they could be higher because while there is uh like, there is deviation there. Like you said, I don't think this outfield is capable of being bad because even if they're not hitting, they're gonna defend and they're gonna run, and they're gonna put the ball in play enough, Like even Alec Thomas last year, but where he was just not hitting, I know they sent him down. I think there was more to that. I don't totally know why, but like even being lost out there and not playing well, like he still was above replacement level, which is saying a lot because he was really not hitting for them at all. I look at a Jake McCarthy, great defender, he's gonna steal bag, he's gonna put the bat on ball. Gorman Carrol's a fast player in Majorleague Baseball and hits the ball hard like he's gonna find a way, and the defense is great. Triples yeah, oh yeah, no. I think if you look at my right up on him from even two years ago, I said he's going to lead the leaking triples because of that outfield too, just the space out there. Peralta, David Peralta always had a ton of triples out there, So imagine what Corman Carroll's gonna have out there. I think this outfield's going to find a way to even at the bottom be good, but this could be a great outfield if these guys hit the way they can. I am a little bit concerned about the bats of McCarthy and Thomas, Relatively speaking, I'm not really worried about Carrol, even as a rookie. I think at the very worst you're getting above average production.
Speaker 2: From him, which is why at the twenty twenty two end of season updated the top one he was one over gunner because like, there's nothing to worry.
Speaker 3: About with Carol No, literally nothing.
Speaker 2: I think Jake McCarthy is a very underrated talent for Arizona ninety nine games, finished fourth and Rookie of the Year, voting eight homers forty three driven in. He was twenty three for twenty six in the stolen based department. If you're that good of a base dealer with a seven to seventy oh ps, you've got a spot man. And I think Guriell is like the rotating guy in the outfield, and he who knows, maybe Gabriel Moreno hops in a corner at some point if they feel like Carson Kelly needs to catch. I think too.
Speaker 3: Garriella is a left fielder, is like God forbid, Thomas stinks or McCarthy thinks what we don't think is gonna happen, Like Garriell in the corner is still an above average big league outfield act correct, So I mean they've got a nice even though he's not a good or a great defender, he's gonna hit and he's gonna be fine enough defensively. Yeah, last thing on them, McCarthy, I don't know how to feel about him. Like, I know, he's a good player. He's hit at least above average. He's put up above average numbers at every stop and kind of done similar to what we saw last year. But like, do you think that he can maintain a two eighty three, three forty two, you know, four to twenty seven slash line at the big league level, you know as he continues, or is he more of a one hundred WRC plus guy with all of the little you know, I guess what would you say, like accents to his game right, like all of the little like tangibles. Yeah, Like that's the one thing I don't know. I I he is a very tough read for me. I think that he can be close, like close to what he was last year though ultimately gun in my head, that's probably what i'd say, But I do have some concern of, like, you know what if he does regress a bit offensively. I don't know.
Speaker 2: So he had a one eighteen ops plus last year, even if he's like a one oh three to one oh five ops plus guy, I feel good about everything else that he does. And he's always going to be the third outfielder here, you know what I mean? Yeaheah, So I feel decent about that. An ode to John Rothstein. It is conference championship week, Conference tournament week in college basketball. It is March by stock now in the Arizona Diamondbacks outfield.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'll say also, real quick, Kyle Lewis, Like I don't. I think he's pretty pretty cooked in terms of playing center and stuff. But that guy can get by in a corner. Again, that's that's a bonus guy to throw out there. If anything goes wrong, that's not bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Second, Honora, we'll mention is the White Sox. One of these things is not like the other. Andrew Ben and Tendy Luis Robert and Gavin Sheets. Is the projected opening day outfield. There were two massive holes for them in the corners last year with Vaughan at first. Now there's one. It's in right. I thought Ben and Tendy was a really good signing for them because Tim Anderson's gonna lead off and Benny's probably gonna hit two, and then Luis Robert. We know when he's on the field and if he is fully healthy, he can be that perennial All Star, borderline MVP candidate type talent. It's the Buxton conversation. I think that the second and third options with Eloi Jimenez is the DH. Please God do not let him play outfield. But if he does, he's gonna suck defensively, but we know what he can do with the bat when he's healthy. I think that if you have even eighty percent of Buston and Luis Robert, I think Ben and Tende and sheet Slash Jimenez is better than Gallo and Kepler.
Speaker 3: The reason why I love Ben Attendy and I love that signing is that you know what you're gonna get with him, right, Like there's something just settling about finally having a White Sox player that you know, like, Okay, we can pencil him in for you know two and a half three wins, we're.
Speaker 2: Saying we couldn't do that with you on Winkata.
Speaker 3: Dude, I mean like even that, Like it's a roller coaster with all these guys, it's an absolute roller coaster. So just knowing that Ben Attendy's gonna hit for average, sneak out enough home runs, He's gonna you know, be fine defensively, Like, it's just refreshing, right, So you can pencil that guy, you can sharp be that guy in Oscar Colos is a great backup plan if Sheet struggles, which makes me feel better about the one hole out there. And Colos is swinging it, man, another guy that you think it's even a backup plan, I think it's gonna end up being the primary plan here. This is a team that I think has, you know, they know the pressure that they're feeling to win now. And if Colas keeps swinging it in the spring, that's a team that I think would say fuck it before many others. And I think colos is just ability to crush fastballs will let him you know, be competitive from the from the get go. And he hits left as well. So Colos is a guy that I think really helps the outfield situation overall. I think this outfield you talk about like variants and best outcome potential, this outfield has a chance to be one of the better outfields. If Luis Robert is doing what you said he could do, which I agree, I concur and and if e Boy Jimenez is producing, I know you can kind of count that as an outfielder. I'm sure he'll jump out there from from time to time. But Colas will be the big X factor here because I don't think you're gonna expect much from sheets, good depth bat, good bench bat that you can fit in there, but Colos is the big X factor.
Speaker 2: Favorite thing that Baseball Reference does for their spring training stats. They have something at the tail end called opponent quality, and they graded on a one to ten scale, one being you're facing a position player on the mound, ten being you're facing a major league arm Oscar Colas, in eight games so far this spring, has an opponent quality of seven and a half, which sits right in between double and triple A. He's seven for sixteen with a double and one strikeout in sixteen played appearances against double A slash triple A.
Speaker 3: Pitching I saw our guy Elijah Evans, who's out there covering spring training in Arizona.
Speaker 2: Doing a great job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, doing a great job and writing some stuff up with spring training notes and do an interview. So check out his stuff on just Baseball dot com. But I saw he put out a video of Coloss with a nice two strike swing up the middle, and that was something that, you know, like he was a guy that it was big hack, big hack behind oh two, I don't care big hack again. Yeah, Which, you know what, if I'm in the minors, man and I'm putting up numbers, I'll keep ripping it too. I'm not gonna pretend like who gives a shit? Like he was raking, who cares? Like take your hack so too too, like whatever. But this is a guy that now realized I'm trying to make a big league club, and to see him have a different approach is refreshing. And I think that's a testament to his maturity and a testament to the fact that this is a guy that's serious about making the team. And I think the White Sox are noticing that, and I think he's going to force their hand to make this team.
Speaker 2: I think so too. All Right, third honorable mention. And again one of these things is not like the other in the other way is the LA Dodgers, David Peralta, Trace Thompson, Mookie Bets. This is the conversation around outfields, and we just had a conversation pre recording about where the Yankees should sit on this list because they have the best player in baseball and the best season arguably in baseball history from a year ago. And then they have Aaron Hicks in the outfield as well. The Dodgers have two platoon guys and Mookie Bets. Mookie Bets alone makes them an honorable mention in outfield. I think if Jason Hayward does what we think he may do this year, I then immediately a top ten You're in like fully bought in, dude.
Speaker 3: That I had the weird like not fully bought in. I'm just in on, like give him some at bats this this swing adjustment, like trading him like a prospect. His swing before was so like I can't emphasize enough how like he got away with so many bad moves. If he was a prospect, I would like I'd be very out, but he got away with excuse an athletic freak. But then it started to not work as much and they were able to game plan for him a bit more and he slowed down a little bit. Hayward's old swing was like if you put a gun to his head and said, you have to hit this ball on the ground or I'm shooting you. Like that's what his swing was.
Speaker 2: Now it's to the first basement.
Speaker 3: Yes. Now his swing's like he's trying to lift the ball. Like it's much more geared towards what we're seeing some of the best hitters in today's game do. He's staying in his back hit better like he used to have a lot of forward move. Freeman got with him there, and usually I don't buy that kind of stuff, But just looking, if you put side by side the swings, it's not even close. It's night and day. I'm not saying this guy's gonna be a star, but I think he could be a contributor and worth the roster spot, which they need right now. It's funny. That's one of the weirdest tweet engagements I've ever had. Was I just said, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm in on this swing, Like this plays on Jason Hayward zero retweets, like a hundred likes and just people just like I probably bookmarking it, like all right, man, he said it, like I'm liking it, and I'm coming back to this.
Speaker 2: They're ready to dm old takes exposed. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've never had one hundred likes and zero retweets, like, I've never had that before, So I'm very it was a very interesting, like very very interesting just social experiment there. Chris Taylor, like he struggled last year, man, but that's still an above average big League or even if he replicates last year, I think he'll be better. I do. That's a great outfield option as well.
Speaker 2: But Taylor's got to play the infield.
Speaker 3: I know, I know, but you figure he still has to be considered in that outfield, right, Like he still has to be a guy that's that's relevant to that outfield. And then James Alton, James Altman's got to be got to be considered out here too.
Speaker 2: I really like Alvin. Yeah, I mean shit.
Speaker 3: Already the other day, I know.
Speaker 2: I know, Like trust me, I'm keeping tabs because you and Taylor Davis made fun of me for taking him pretty high in our twenty year Yeah.
Speaker 3: It was a stupid pick. Yeah, in our in our in our redraft, he's twenty six. We're doing a redraft. There's like twenty year olds on the board, and you're ripping the twenty six year old rookie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with freak tools. Jason Hayward. Listen, he's not thirty eight. He's thirty three years old.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: He's not like Johns, like that build that he had in Chicago six five, two forty. He still looks like that. Yes, he's still technically like in an age where a lot of people are nearing the end of their prime. He's not over the hill. He had a problem, and if he fixes it, he's got five more major league seasons available for him pretty much.
Speaker 3: Dude, think about where Trace Thompson was before last year and what swing adjustments and things have done for him. And he's guess what the same age. Trace Thompson's thirty two, Jason Aedward's thirty three. Like, think a better from that perspective for a second. Like, he's not cooked. He can make adjustments, And that's why I'm kind of in on a bounce back that said, this outfield is very deficient from what we're used to for the LA Dodgers.
Speaker 2: All right, Jason Hayward, I'm grabbing guys that are born right around his birthday August nine to nineteen eighty nine. Anthony Rizzo is a day older than him. Let's see, Patrick Corbin is right around there. Jabbari Blash is right there.
Speaker 3: He just came out a legend.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean like, if you don't think Anthony Rizzo is over the hill, you better not think Jason Hayward is over the hill. But I understand why you would think.
Speaker 3: So, Yes, because of the way his game declined so quickly. I really think it was the swing just not working.
Speaker 2: There we go, all right, Number ten, the other LA team, the Angels, Taylor Ward, Mike Trout, Hunter renfro. Ward had a good season last year. Hunter renfro is a thirty homer threat. They've got Mike freaking Trout in center field. They're not not a top ten team. I think that there is a bit more depth and a couple more dynamic players on the teams above them. But when you've got Mike Trout in the outfield and you've got guys that are serviceable flanking him. This is a top ten outfield in the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think this is another one you could bump up a little bit just because Renfro is a guy that you know what you're getting. You're getting a right, like you said around thirty home runs, Taylor Ward, it was an All Star last year, and like, this guy's really good. And then we know what Mike Trout is, don't don't really need to talk about Joe Adele. I think if you're counting on anything from Joe Adell, you're you're you're setting yourself up for disappointment.
Speaker 2: I'm counting on an All Star season from Adele.
Speaker 3: Oh, well, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.
Speaker 2: That's what I do for That's what I've done for twenty five years. Now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you go. And then Brett Phillips, you know, great, great, great attitude, So.
Speaker 2: You really can't do guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I do think that that three is a clear cut top ten outfield in baseball though, that three, Like again, I love referencing it because I think it's the best point that that could be made that uh, you know, foolish, foolish baseball Bailey made on the on the plots surround Mike Trout and show him Tony with guys who don't suck, and and that they haven't really done that and now they're they're doing that and and that makes it a really good outfield.
Speaker 2: Yeah right too, all right, number nine. Tell me if you think the Angels should be ahead of number nine, But it's the Phillies. Kyle Schwarber, Brandon Marsh, Nick Costianos, Marsh was an outfield made of Mike Trout in LA at the beginning of last year. If we did this last year, Marsh would have been in the number ten spot. But Marsh holds down center. He's surrounded by two guys that are defensive liabilities. But Schwarber is a fifty homer threat. Nick Costianos can't be worse than what he was last year, and Marsh has proven ample value for the Philadelphia Phillies. I like them over the Angels, I think because of the impact that Schwarber can make. Costianos if he does get back to Nick Costiano's light, even if he's twenty five homers, if he's an eight hundred ops, feel good about it. And then Brandon Marsh. I'm high on Marsh.
Speaker 3: I agree with everything you're saying. I would probably go Angels. Here's my thing, Taylor Ward or Nick Castianos, actually even even different, Hunter Renfro or Nick Castillanos.
Speaker 2: So I think we're going to disagree here, but I'm probably going Castianos for twenty three. If you look at twenty two, obviously Renfro, if you look at twenty one, obviously, Castillanos.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm worried like he might he might just stink. And then Schwarber is awesome, but Mike Trout can give you that with a glove in center field. Yeah, and then Taylor Ward or or Castianos, then.
Speaker 2: I'll take Ward.
Speaker 3: I think you could make the the the Angels case over this group. Here's the big big issue here. When Bryce Harper comes back, is he dhing or is he playing the outfield? Because even even a slightly below average or below average defensive Bryce Harper out there, like you put Castianos at DH and it's Harper, Schwarber and marsh That's that's fucking nasty. And and I think he's gonna play a little outfield. I don't know how the arm situation is gonna be. I feel like you can play some outfield once he comes back.
Speaker 2: If I were a betting man, he d H.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I won't pretend like I know, I have zero idea. It's probably the right I think they probably it's probably the sharp play is the betting yeah, yeah, And then if you're wrong, it was still the sharp play. I think. I don't know. I feel like with how bad Casianos can be out there, if if his arms, if Harper's arms good, like I feel like he got the Tommy John surgery to kind of come back and play defense. I just don't know when that will be, you know, And like if you go to the postseason, don't you want Harper out there? I don't know that that's the tough one. Are we operating under the assumption that Harper plays zero outfield next year?
Speaker 2: I think I am or this year I should say yeah.
Speaker 3: In that case, I'm taking the Angels.
Speaker 2: Okay, but all right, But for.
Speaker 3: What that's sort But I don't think it's like far off. And again Schwarber's if Casianos bounces back, then it's a really fun one. And the thing that's weird about casianas bro is it's not like Philadelphia is is a graveyard and we talked about how he really hits well and hit well in Cincinnati and the splits and blah blah blah. Philadelphi is a good place to swing. It's a good place to hit man, especially for Reguard that goes oppo, like Casiana says, so hopefully he bounces back. But yeah, I do think that's a fun, interesting debate between those two unpredictable outfields.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean you ask what changed for Casianos and it was literally just impact of the baseball. Yeah, he struck out three percent more of the time, but as average Egsavila went down two and a half miles an hour.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's weird.
Speaker 2: That's so weird.
Speaker 3: It was a negative one f war guy last year.
Speaker 2: That's so weird from him. Never expected it. All right, I will cook these beauty of recording this podcast before the article goes live. Is I can go and change the ranking. So I think I will adjust these rankings accordingly because you have convinced me. I have learned from my co host arm let's go. We can be supportive here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel bad that I said that your James Altman pick was stupid. It wasn't stupid.
Speaker 2: It was bold feel bad.
Speaker 3: You know it was bold, stupid was a mean word.
Speaker 2: Oh you say enough mean shit to me that I don't feel it anymore. I only feel it occasionally, all right.
Speaker 3: Remember auting me as an abusive co host and Fred.
Speaker 2: Number eight is Saint Louis there started there. They're projected starting outfield Lars Newbarn left, Tyler O'Neal, and center Dylan Carlson in right. The conversation is between eight and seven, we can knock two birds out with one stone. Number seven is the Yankees. Aaron Hicks, Harrison Vader, Aaron Judge. We had a conversation about this pre record, and do you take three good guys or do you take a bad guy in average guy and the best hitter in baseball?
Speaker 3: You know what this reminds me of as you just framed it like that is like those graphics where it's like you have twelve dollars and.
Speaker 2: That's exactly like do you spend five dollars on somebody or do you take like the four dollars guy at each spot and all of this one?
Speaker 3: This is one honestly, Like what those are you watching on YouTube? Like comment below, Like if you're a Cardinals or a Yankees fan, like, shut it respectfully. But if you're a fan of like the twenty eight other teams, I want to hear from you because I'm just I'm sorry. I had so many Cardinals and Dodge, so many fans when I did the top five farm systems for Bleach Report, How could you omit this farm system? I'm like, jeez, okay, you're an idiot. You're an idiot for not liking my favorite team's farm system. I got a lot of Dodgers people saying that they're the their system was better than the Orioles, which I was like, false. How do you justify Orioles over Dodgers was a message I got, and I literally just sent a screenshot of their top ten. But anyway, sorry, I digress. I want to see in the YouTube comments which outfield you would prefer, because it is like that budget situation where you have four dollars for Judge Harper whoever, and then like one dollar at the bottom is like as Waldo Cabrera and all these other guys, and then two dollars would be like Dylan Carlson, three dollars would be Tyler O'Neal let's say. This is where it's hard because you're pretty much locked in for an MVP candidate. Now, I think with Aaron Judge every single year, I think that's very fair to say. And I think he's gonna be again one of the best buyers in baseball. And I think that's very hard hitting analysis here. Harrison Vader was a very important addition to the Yankees outfield because he just gives them, assuming he's healthy, just a good safe defender that can at least put give your league average slightly better offenses and move.
Speaker 2: Judge out of center, and move Judge out to the centerfielder. But you don't need him in center.
Speaker 3: You don't need him out there. So I'll be an elite right fielder that is really solid. The question is Aaron hicksonna play left if Ozwaldo Cabrera is playing left? Because I don't want to be like, oh, Hicks is going to be a disaster for them. That's not fair because if he is a disaster, then they'll put Cabrera out there. So operating under that assumption, do you take those three or do you take O'Neill Carlson And in New bar I think what it boils down to, is what do you think we're gonna get from O'Neill and Carlson ectrics? We were expecting new Bar to be good. Everyone on Earth is expecting New Part.
Speaker 2: To be the most overrated under under.
Speaker 3: Underrated player out. Yes, but like I think we're all banking on three and a half f wour at least, and I think he's gonna be a really good player. Is Carlson gonna gonna be Dylan Carlson? But even if he's not, he's still he's still I think matches beater at the very least, right, Like, I think, do you think that's fair to say he matches beatter at the very least? I think he'll be better. There's a reason why the Cardinals traded one them. It's not just control. Carlson has way more upside.
Speaker 2: I think, yes.
Speaker 3: And then it's just what do you get from Tyler O'Neal, who was a five and a half one player but also has struggled to stay healthy and is kind of a one hit wonder at this point. Yeah, you chose the Cardinals.
Speaker 2: I did. Now, if we're looking at an accumulation thing, right, like, if we're looking at war accumulation. Judge on his own beats two Cardinals, So are you gonna get two anyone? He beats two All Stars, right exactly like, are are you going to get Baiter and hickslash Cabrera beating out Tyler O'Neil. I would say yes, because two is usually greater than one, especially when you're talking about guys that are fine pieces. You mentioned five point six f four and twenty twenty one for O'Neil, he had a one forty four WRC plus. He had a one oh one WRC plus this past year, but he was a bad defender, so he was a one point three win. He was hurt too, Yeah, but like one point three in ninety six games. He's somewhere in between that, I mean. And it's such a shitty cop out thing to say, yeah, but you got to ask yourself, is he a three win guy? Or is he a four win guy? And I personally want him to be a four win guy, but I think he's closer to a three win guy.
Speaker 3: He's three and a half, yeah, something like that. And I don't think he needs to be playing every single day because you want to keep him healthy. Carlson, Now we were expecting him to build off of what was a really solid, you know, first full season two point six four one thirteen WRC plus good defense, eighteen homers. He follows that up reportedly banged up last year, so give him the benefit of the doubt. There cuts the k rate down by five percent, which was a great sign. But offense tikes a hit. He was a league average one hundred WRC plus two point four four off the back of great defense. So if this guy's a little bit better offensively, he's a three three and a half wind player. Again, I think, if you're who are you taking going into next year? And I know, put put the our war on Peter Apple aside for a second on the Harrison Bader stuff, because.
Speaker 2: No, I'm taking Carlson over Baer. I was about to ask you, do you think they made the right decision moving Baiter?
Speaker 3: Well, I think the control made it a no brainer, honestly. And I love the Beata pickup for the Yankees, And I think it's really funny how it's become like because we but you and I don't mind Beata. I think you and I both think he's a good player. Peter Peter really likes him, going into this year, and I understand that he showed a lot of good things and he's looked good this spring. But it's become kind of one of those uh subtle, just Baseball show debates that have come up, and I think it's funny, but honestly, I really do think if I had to take one, I'm probably gonna take Carlson just because I think he I think he's a little say but that said, like, he was not as good last year overall, so I wouldn't be shocked if Beata's better. I think they they literally could be a wash, and I think it's safe to call them a wash. And if you do that, then it's it's Judge versus So how you if you call Bater and Carlson a wash, it becomes down to Judge versus O'Neill and Noukebar. It's Judge and Hicks slash Cabrera against O'Neill and Nukebar. That's it's it's an oversimplification, but it's really tough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is really tough. I take Carlson over over Batter because Carlson like had a bad year. I think everybody would say bad year, right, power went away, but he was still a one hundred WRC plus guy. Bater was an eighty six WRC plus guy, and yeah he was banged up, but that shows you like a bad year of Bata is eighty six, A bad year of Carlson is one.
Speaker 3: Hundred's one hundred and apparently Carlson was banged up too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. So, Uh no, it's an oversimplification, but I think you have to take the guy that had eleven and a half war last year.
Speaker 3: And you got to also consider what the Cardinals. Brendan Donovan can go out there. We're talking about depth. I think that's what puts the Cardinals over the top, because God forbid somebody gets hurt, you know, God forbid judge missus time like that. Yankees outfield isn't fucked. If O'Neill or new Bar whoever goes down like Yepez can go out there, They've.
Speaker 2: Got maybe Walker's opportunity.
Speaker 3: Walker could go out there, Burleson can go out there like that. And these aren't just like Plug and Prey, like all of those guys are our potential, you know, fringe all stars at least not Burls. I think Burroson is above average bat but I mean, Yepez could swing it well enough to be an All Star one here or too. Like we know what Jordan Walker can be. Brendan Donovan is just a really good utility guy. So yeah, I side with you with the depth. I think it puts him over the top. I'll go Cardinals. Wow, so you do go Cardinals the depth, just kind of thinking about it from that perspective, because you know, I think the Yankees are already using their depth and left, assuming that Hicks is gonna stink, because I think he's gonna They've just got way more options. I mean, I would I would argue that Burleson. I would want to start Burrows in day one if I were the Yankees. Let's say the Yankees acquired Burleson, I'd say, bench checks and start Burleson. Correct, And that's a guy that's that's legitimately stashed on the bench right now.
Speaker 2: For that about Yepez too, right like, yeah.
Speaker 3: As I'd say start him and left right away. Yeah, So these are all guys that I would start in the Yankees outfield that are on the bench. Brandon Donovan, I would say start him right away. I think he's better than obviously better than Aswalda. Caberry's a better version of him. So all of these guys, I would say I would start in left field for the Yankees, and they're not starting in the outfield for the Cardinals because there's a better option. So that kind of tells you, I think, how they line up.
Speaker 2: So do you do you consider Donovan a breakout candidate or would you consider last year his breakout?
Speaker 3: Last year was his breakout. I think that's what he is.
Speaker 2: I think he solidifies himself as more valuable than Carlson, O'Neill and Bar this year. That's my hot take. I think that that's a hot take. Yeah, I know we posed it. It was just like stream of consciousness questions earlier. I think it was in December when when I posed a bunch of questions and I said, ranked these guys by value, and it was Gorman, Donovan, Carlson O'Neill, and Neotbar. I think I had Donovan two or three. My take now is I think Donovan's a clear cut one over all these guys.
Speaker 3: Wow, all right, I got no issue with that. I think that's that's hot. It's hot. Though that's hot, it's hot.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you need to come out with a hot take, and I just came.
Speaker 3: Out with a hot takes.
Speaker 2: Hot thanks man, all right. Number six the Mets, Mark Kenna, Brandon Nimo, Starling Marte projected as the opening day outfield guys waiting in the wings. Baby may hop out into a corner, right. I There are some serious options for the Mets here, and I think what puts them over the Yankee cardinal grouping is Nimo is a five and a half win player, and when he's on the field for a full season, he is five to five and a half wins. Mark Canna is a very underrated piece to that Mets team. He's always gonna get on base, He's always going to provide decent defense. He's always going to put up you know, a w RC plus probably overall hundred. And then Starling Marte is Starling Marte.
Speaker 3: My only things I'm worried about Marte. I really am he double groin surgery like that, that's nuts. I don't even know that. I've never heard of that. Like and then a guy that's built on speed, oblique and double groin that said like he's Starling Marte, He's he's he's a honest too, like I'm going to bank on him being he's still pretty good even if if if the you know, the speed isn't there and we can't again we can't project injuries, so we don't go there. But yeah, I mean, back to back three win seasons from Mark Canna, you know, I mean, that's that's what you can pretty much lock in from him. A one twenty eight WRC plus last season was just great. What we saw from Brandon Nemo spectacular. There's definitely a lot of risk here of regression because of Marte, yeah, and his injury stuff this offseason in last year, Cana turning thirty four and Nemo just coming off a career year. But just based on what we got last year and what we have to assume that they you know, they can do going into next year, this has to be an outfield that's ahead of the ones we just talked about.
Speaker 2: Since twenty eighteen WRC plus from Mark Canna by year one fifteen, one forty six in one hundred and twenty six games in twenty nineteen, one twenty nine. In twenty twenty, he played fifty nine games, played one hundred and forty one games. In twenty one. He had a one to seventeen, and you mentioned the one twenty eight and one hundred and forty games this past year. He's got a career WRC plus at one eighteen and that's some bad years to open his career.
Speaker 3: He was a real spot.
Speaker 2: This guy's a sneaky, awesome hitter.
Speaker 3: One of the most underrated players in baseball. Rule five draft pick out of the out of the Florida Marlins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the side burns. You think he's underrated, like he's he's almost frowned upon because he still has sideburns.
Speaker 3: I think that did cost him a little bit on the contract, right, two years twenty six and a half would have been two years forty. I think if he didn't have the sideburns.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dude, you got to figure those things out. Man. All Right, Number five.
Speaker 3: Seattle my players too much, I think, if we're gonna be honest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these guys are human beings, man, Yeah, They're not just pieces of hair. Seattle starting projected outfield Jared Kelnick, Julio Rodriguez, Tioscar Hernandez. I love the Oscar makes him a top five outfield.
Speaker 3: I love the order that you just went in there.
Speaker 2: Yes, uh, miserable maybe a quadruple ele guy will see Yeah, perennial MVP candidate for the next fifteen years, Taioscar Hernandez.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree. Te Oscar was everything they needed, right, everything they needed. I'm excited to see what ta Oscar does in this line. We just talked about him. But Kelnick is the X factor here we are again. We said it last year, We'll say it again this year. Kalnick's to the X factor. He looks good in spring training, for whatever that's worth. What I will say is he is going the other way. He is putting better swings on left on left, which is encouraging. And this guy's twenty three. So while we feel like we've been hearing about him forever, he is twenty three. AJ Pollock to Hedge, that is huge, huge, huge, huge, So Aj Pollock being in the mix here as well. He can still play a good outfield, right, I mean, this is a guy that can still play a good left field if you need him to. I feel good about having him in the equation to take a lot of that pressure off of Kellnick. If he doesn't pan out, this is still a good outfield. And then you got you know, utility guy like Dylan Moore. You know Sam Haggerty involved in there too. It's a good outfield. It's led by like you said, perennial MVP candidate. If Julio can continue to make that leap and t Oscar hits the ship out of the ball, it's it's a good, good outfield. That could be great if Kelnick makes the leap. If he if he doesn't, A j. Pollock is still a good enough third option in that outfield.
Speaker 2: First game out of the All Star Break, who is the starting left fielder?
Speaker 3: God, ain't that the question is a lefty pitching. I think I think Kelnick swings it well enough to be a platoon guy. I think so. I'm gonna say it's alrighty And I think I think he plays. I can he hits the ball too hard, He's too talented.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: I think Kelnick's gonna be I don't know. I don't think he's gonna be, you know, the guy, the perennial All Star that we thought, But I think he could be a productive power bat in a corner. I'm gonna I'm gonna say Kelnick. I'm gonna say Knick's first first game out of the All Star break. He's the outfielder.
Speaker 2: So they also have Cooper Hummel kind of waiting is like the second or third. Hummell can play some outfield. There are a lot of options to platoon with Kelnick. Right, you can go with Dylan Moore, you can go with Haggerty, or you can go with Cooper Hummel.
Speaker 3: And Pollock and Pollock. Yeah right, I think Pollock's the lefty masher that would be That would be that option.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, that makes sense. All right. Four, Dalton varshow Kevin kier Meyer, and George Springer is the projected starting outfield in Toronto. Nasty kier Meyer is not going to give you much offensively, but he's going to give you a Gold Glove caliber center field production. George Springer in a corner is an All Star. And Dalton varshow is. We know Dalton varshow Man he was putting up Gold Glove numbers in center and he's a catcher.
Speaker 3: Yep, and I think he will be even he could be one of the best defenders in baseball and left field, like legitimately that good. So if you have that outfield right there defensively alone, that could be the best defensive outfield in baseball. It could be very well up there.
Speaker 2: And oh, by the way, Springer can hit to a nine hundred OPS and varshow is a seven fifty to eight hundred OPS guy at least.
Speaker 3: And and oh, by the way, all of them can steal bags. You know, they're even a slowed down kier Meyer is still going to steal ten to fifteen bags. There's just a lot more there. I think Kevin Bigio has been getting some work in the outfield too, which is just another nice power left handed option there. And then what Merrifield can can slide out there if you need him to. This is an outfield that's deep, that's really good defensively and really good offensively. And they were they were able to give up offense for defense with ker Meyer because he's gonna be your nine hitter if he's playing center field the way we think he can. He's not even thirty three yet, so I think it was really injuries. I don't think he's slowing down that much. This is a really, really good outfield. It could be one of the best in baseball if Springer is playing to his ability, and if Barshall like Varshall could be better. You said he's seven to fifty seven to eighty guy, I agree, Like that's the baseline. Why can't this twenty six year old take another leap offensively? You know, maybe he does so.
Speaker 2: Varshow last year one hundred and fifty one games had a seven forty five ops. But the counting numbers were good for him. Twenty seven homers, seventy four driven in. He was sixteen for twenty two in the stolen based apartment. If he gives you identically that and gold glove caliber left field defense, you're thrilled with that trade.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's what they traded for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cool, all right. Number three the Atlanta Braves Eddie Rosario, Michael Harris, Ronald Acuna Junior. You like that order too, Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Love that order.
Speaker 2: I'm going left field or right field. I'm going left, center right Eddie Rosario. Obviously as flashes in the pan of being like, oh my gosh, this is the NLCS MVP Eddi Rassario, But for the most part he's Eddi Rossario, Like, is there a better option out there? Michael Harris? Is what I think we had? A bit? Three in the center field rankings Trout one, Julio two, Harris three, and then Akunya. If Akunya is healthy again, he's a He's a top MVV two talent and baseball yeah, MVP candidate forty forty threat. Like if anybody's gonna go fifty to fifty, it's Tatisa Racunya. So this outfield, if everything's perfect, could be the best outfield in the game, even if Akunya is not one hundred percent right, even if Harris hits two ninety instead of three hundred, and even if Rasario stinks, it's probably still top five.
Speaker 3: Can Travis Darnault play left I.
Speaker 2: Hope that William Cantrara has played.
Speaker 3: If they're Billy bombs out there like that is, I don't know why these teams hate left field. We're looking at like a lot of these teams are just ignoring left field. Look if Rosario and I know he was dealing with like I issues and other injuries, I'm just like a lot of different things last year. If Rosario can be a league average hitter man, then this outfield will be a problem. And I think it's easy to forget. Like Brazzario in twenty eighteen was a four win guy in twenty nineteen. His defense stunk, but he hit thirty two pomps and drove in one hundred and nine. We saw the magic that he was able to produce in that World Series. Rung like, if he can just be a league average bat with what you're gonna get from Michael Harris defensively and offensively, and then Ronald Occonie, like you mentioned that outfield is a problem, but man, I just I would love a better option in left field. I really would.
Speaker 2: So I'm scanning for options on the roster. Orlando Arcia played six games and left. It's probably not a big upgrade. Sam Hilliard can play left. It depends how you view upgrade. Because Hilliard has a bit more powered, a bit more speed. The problem is he can't make contact with the ball sometimes. Jordan Luplow is probably not an upgrade.
Speaker 3: He is against the left eas and that's the thing. Is like, Okay, if you get a one five WRC plus from Rosario just against righty's, which I think is a very fair bar, and then you get a one fifteen WRC plus from loop Low against lefties, which is pretty much what he has been at the minimum for his entire career. Then you're you've combined an above average platoon and left.
Speaker 2: Field, and they're looking at that as the comp.
Speaker 3: That's all they need, that's all they need, because we just talked about center, like that's that's all they need. So that's why I like the Looplo pick up for them and hopefully, hopefully that's what they'll they'll be able to get out of left field.
Speaker 2: Arguably the best Gwinnette striper of all time this year, I'm calling it Kevin Polar serving as the understudy to Michael Harris. So if Harris is dealing with like banged up, soreness or anything, just Polar comes up, plays some center and then goes right back down.
Speaker 3: I love it. By the way, Pilar is just always going to hang around, I think forever. Yeah, man, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, if you can catch balls, you can do it.
Speaker 3: Looplow one twenty five WRC plus in his career against left et seventy six WRC plus in his career against Righty's got you.
Speaker 2: There. We go Platoon number two, the Houston Astros. We're saying Houston here because your don is projected in the opening day outfield. They bring Michael Brantley back. They probably feel better about your Don in the outfield than they do Brandley. So it's you are Don Alvarez in left, Chas McCormick and center Kyle Tucker and right. Chaz has proven to be an above average center fielder for the Houston Astros. He's a one to fifteen WRC plus guy sneaky, and then you are Don's you were Don, and Kyle Tucker is a two hundred million dollar outfielder.
Speaker 3: I think Chas McCormick's one of the most underrated players in baseball right now. And I don't mean that in a way of like he's a star, like no, but just like he is really good. He's not an after really solid. It's a really solid player. He's he's played two big league seasons, and he is in his two big league seasons thus far, a one to eleven WRC plus back to back seasons of two win production. And even more important, he's gotten better offensively like we saw him last year. Year. The slug went down a little bit, but he still matched his home run total, he matched his run total, he basically matched every counting stat, upped his walk rate, lowered his k rate. Again, I think this guy can take another step this year. He's a great defender. It's all that the Astros need in center field. And yeah, Jordon in a corner, but even if it was Brandly in a corner like that's still a really good outfield. Probably not number two, but it's still a really good outfield. And then Jake Myers is like your fourth outfield option. He was really good before, you know, getting hurt in the postseason, just hasn't been able to totally get back. And then it's you know, kind of fighting for opportunities now because of McCormick's you know what he's done. But I think if Jordan is even playing in left field, by the way, in Houston has got to be one of the easiest left fields to play. They're gonna tell.
Speaker 2: Them those Crawford boxes. He can take a weird bounce off those things.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, but the move put his back against put your back against the Crawford boxes, and just come in. That's all he has to do. And if it's to to his left of the Crawford boxes, they'll say, that's Chaz's territory. Don't cross that line. It's hot lava for your not And I think that's basically what it's gonna be. So like, that's a really good outfield production wise, And I still am still waiting on the Kyle Tucker MVP season. I still believe it can come, and if it comes, that might be the best outfield in baseball.
Speaker 2: So how do you feel? I know, Hensley is an infielder for the most part, but he's like played left sporadically. He did get a start in left field last year. Could Hensley like play the outfield if need be?
Speaker 3: I think he can a little bit. I know he did it in triple and he's just like one of those guys that's not going to be great anywhere, but he's like kind of good enough everywhere, sneaky athlete. He can swing it too, Like his numbers in the minors then his numbers in the big leagues and that short stint really good. He can play out there. I think he can get.
Speaker 2: By yeah, one hundred percent. There aren't very many backup options. Listen, if Jose Siri was the starting center fielder.
Speaker 3: Oh Man MVP over the field over.
Speaker 2: The top of Alvarez, Siri and Kyle Tucker, all right, but the best outfield in baseball going into the twenty twenty three season. Is San Diego the Padres. I'm counting Tatis right now because he's only gonna miss three weeks. Opening Day, it's probably gonna be Matt Carpenter out there in left, and you got Soto and right and Grisham and center. Who knows what Carpenter is going to be this year. Obviously he was Babe Ruth for the Yankees last year. But once Tatis comes back, it's Soto, Grisham and Tatis in the outfield, two top five top ten players in the game, and a Gold Glover in centerfield.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean, that's the thing, is like, even if Grisham can't hit, he's gonna defend and he's gonna run into a few. The thing that makes me feel a little bit better about Grisham too, is I I actually believe in Jose Zokar, Like I think Azocar is not bad. I think he's a really decent fourth outfielder. And if if Grisham's really really stinking it up, you could plug a Zocar out there and I think he'd be fine. Like he was good in TRIPLEA, he's been good in the minors and his numbers last year were not terrible. He was a solid defender, and I think he can keep getting better. That was his first taste of the big leagues last year in sporadic playing time, and he held his own. So I like Azocar as a backup option. I think there's a reason why they've kind of held onto him, and I think they like him as an option there. But the offensive potential of a Tatis, you know, especially combined out there with what they're going to get from Sodo, that woul could be the best outfield duo production wise in Major League Baseball, right, I mean, like, is there gonna be anything like that?
Speaker 2: We've got two guys that, like if they achieve ninetieth percentile outcome for them is what seven wins each? Yeah, you've got two seven win players and I.
Speaker 3: Think ninety percentile outcome. They're combining for close to eighty home runs.
Speaker 2: Eighty homers, they're combining for two hundred RBIs. Tatis may steal forty bags in his own right, And what is.
Speaker 3: Matt Carpenter going to give them? Like, I don't know how much he's going to be playing the outfield, but like, if he's filling in in spots and playing like this guy really raked last year. I'm really interested to see what they get from him. Matt Carpenter is a guy that was one of the best hitters in the game for a span of several years when he was in Saint Louis. Another guy that like, yeah he's older, but wasn't like forty and made a swing adjustment and found something last year. I'm really interested to see what they get from him. I know it's not Yankee Stadium that he's sitting in, but I think this is a guy that can contribute for them too. I just like all of the other options that they have there too, to kind of mix and match. But the big question is is what are you getting from Trent Grisham And.
Speaker 2: Can I say I buy the Grisham bounce back?
Speaker 3: Like I buy what does a Grisham bunce back look like?
Speaker 2: So he's a career seven eleven ops guy after a six twenty six ops Last year he had seventeen homers, which was a career high, but that's because he played one hundred and fifty two games and his next high was twenty games fewer than that in twenty twenty one. Eight h eight ops in twenty twenty seven, forty ops in twenty twenty one, six twenty six in twenty twenty two. If he's seven forty, this is far and away the best outfield in the game. And I'm I'm sold on Grisham being my everyday center fielder. If he is seven to eleven, if he's career average, I still feel okay considering that he's got two goal gloves under his belt.
Speaker 3: Dude, if he's seven eleven, that he that's great because he what was he six twenty six last year? He said six twenty six still matched his f WUR total from last year.
Speaker 2: He's so good defensively, and then.
Speaker 3: In the in the shortened twenty twenty season, he was on pace for a six win season almost. So, like, I mean, I don't think he's gonna do that, obvious, I don't think he's gonn the way he hit in that hot streak there. But if he gives you a hot streak and then finishes the year, you know, right around to seven to eleven, seven thirty. If he gets up to seven thirty, he's a three to win player, maybe above that, maybe coas to three and a half. So if That's what you're getting is the compliment to what could be the best power hitting corner outfield duo and baseball. You're in business. That's the best outfield in baseball. That's simple.
Speaker 2: And if anybody is going to challenge Michael Harris for the Gold Glove, that isn't Jazz Chisholm. It's going to be Trent grisha.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a challenge in terms of in their own right, in their mind or like actually challenge.
Speaker 2: Well, Jazz told us that he was going to go win a gold Glove. So if Jazz doesn't win it, the only guy that holds a candle to Trent Earth, the only guy that holds a candle to Michael Harris is Trent Grisham.
Speaker 3: Thirteen outs above average.
Speaker 2: Lush Yeah, man, I mean crazy.
Speaker 3: And that's that was while sucking at the plate. So I love that he can flush that and you know, not trickle out into the field. It was the best defensive outfield season of his career. So if he can just get even slightly back closer to his league average or to his career average, excuse me, even if he's a six to seventy five OPS guy, he's probably closer to a three win season. Three wins from your center fielder, when you could get seven each from your two corner guys, you're in business.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, after some debriefing, our three honorable mentions Arizona, the White Sox, and the Dodgers. Philly is ten, the Angels are nine, the Yankees are eight, Cardinals seven met six, Mariners, five Blue Jays, four Braves, three Astros two, and the Padres are the best team outfield in baseball. You got anything else? Because I want to rap with something.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to think. I don't think I got anything else? What you got? So?
Speaker 2: Dave Wills was the radio voice of the Rays for the last decade and a half, and he unexpectedly passed at fifty eight years old. And something that I have done over the last however many years, five six, seven years is listen to pretty much every broadcaster in baseball, listen to every TV broadcaster, listened to every radio broadcaster in baseball. And there was no broadcast that I enjoyed listening to more than Tampa Bay Ray's radio Baues. And I listened to way more Tampa radio than you would ever expect. And Dave Wills was previously a White Sox pre and postgame host. I wasn't you know, an active White Sox fan when that happened. He's been in Tampa for the last i want to say, eighteen years with Andy Freed, though. That duo is and was incredible, and my heart goes out to Andy Freed. And Dave Wills was no offense to Andy, but my favorite listen of baseball radio broadcasters because he was funny as fuck. He was so funny. He was like, I mean, if anybody was going to talk about cold ones well broadcasting an MLB game, it was Dave Wills. So so so thankful that in the years that I have learned to love baseball on the radio and call baseball in the radio, I could turn on Tampa Bay Rays broadcast and listen to Dave Wills and that's that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, it's wild. I actually just saw that before we recorded, and I was going to ask you because I didn't know if he was still active. I'm not, I'm not that briefed on all of the radio broadcasters, but I saw a lot outpouring and man, I'm I thought you encapsulated that beautifully. And I'm going to go back and listen to some stuff, because when whenever you say somebody can can broadcast, they can really freaking broadcast. So it's just it just sucks. Like fifty eight is so young, but got to live out the dream and and got to be where we all kind of hoped to.
Speaker 2: Be, so and he was so good.
Speaker 3: He loved it. It sounds like I loved it.
Speaker 2: He loved it, and like he was so technically good at play by play. When you can be so technically good and be fun ear than hell, that's the goods man.
Speaker 3: What's what you're trying to do. That's what you're trying to do right now, right like you're getting that.
Speaker 2: I hope, so I hope to be ten percent of the broadcaster that Dave Wills was because that guy was awesome. So that's it for us. Every link and need in the show notes, Peter and I will give you a World Baseball Classic preview tomorrow. Thanks guys,