Speaker 1: Family Secrets is a production of iHeartRadio. This episode contains discussion of suicide and self harm.
Speaker 2: Listener discretion is advice. For twenty years, I told no one her story. I tucked it into me like a grotesque treasure, a cold gem that I guarded with ferocious pride. Uncertain who else knew. Mom and I never talked about it again, and no one, not my father or his parents, or any of my mother's friends, ever asked me about the fire or what sense I, as a young girl, had made of it. People ask about my relationship with fire. You must be afraid of it, they say, I'm so sorry. My college roommate says, after she burns toast to a smoky crisp in the kitchen, releasing plumes of smoke. Who smell lingers for days? Does this trigger you? It's okay, I shrug, It's just toast. I have no relationship with fire. Really, relationships are cultivated, nurtured. This I inherited.
Speaker 1: That's Nina Saint Pierre, culture writer, essayist, editor, and author of the recent memoir Love Is a Burning Thing. Nina's is a story about surviving the people who precede us those we love but cannot emulate those we wish to protect, but not at the expense of destroying ourselves. It's a story of tenacity, resilience, and hope. I'm Danny Shapiro and this is family secrets, the secrets that are kept from us, the secrets we keep from others, and the secrets we keep from ourselves. Tell me about the landscape of your childhood.
Speaker 2: It was sort of a roving landscape. I'd say, it's kind of always in motion. And you know, I was born in a small Transcendental meditation community in Fairfield, Iowa. My parents sort of split but remained geographically close to each other and co parented for the first few years of my life. But my mom was, as my father puts it, constantly taking off. So we were pinging between Iowa and Washington, d c. In Detroit, where her family was from. She was deeply involved in the Transcendental Meditation movement. So there were these TM centers sort of all over the country, and so we would kind of go to those for little stints because she was working on projects with them. Then at four years old, four going on five, I'd moved to California with her, and from that point on. Our travel was sort of restricted to California, but we moved around a lot up and down the state, to little towns and cities, and we were just always on the move.
Speaker 1: At one point, you describe, I love this sentence you're write. My real memory begins in motion.
Speaker 2: I was living with my mom in the Tenderloine in San Francisco, was nineteen eighty six by then, which if you know anything about the Tenderloin in nineteen eighty six, it was a rough and colorful place. It was really a triangle of social services. Most people were living on welfare. We lived in what they go on SRO, so it's a single room occupancy. Most of them don't have kitchens. They were converted hotels, so people were really scraping by, and we had a very colorful life, you know, living in this sort of European style of hotel was sheer back through the hallways. Our neighbors were drag queens. They were queer day black Asian, straight white like my mother. There were many other single parents, mothers in particular, and their kids kind of became my friends. So it was sort of a bright, vivid, grimy world filled with colorful characters. We were really living a pretty broke life at that time, and she had gotten me into this private school called White Pony, which was in Walnut Creek, sort of a wealthy, primarily white suburb of San Francisco, and we would take like two buses and a bart. It was about an hour long trip each way to this kindergarten that was run by a branch of what they call Sufia's and Reoriented and it was just this very pristine, calm environment where everything felt sort of white and washed and everyone spoke in low tone. And so every day my mom and I would travel between the chaos and clatter of the Tenderloin and take this hour long trip to my school in the suburbs, and it was it was very calm, and I kind of settled in there, and then every day we would go back to the clatter of the Tenderloin. So I think that was the time that I really started to like hold this duality.
Speaker 1: And that was just the one year, right because after that, your mom, when you're in first grade, you know, said something to the effects of we're out of here, We're heading north.
Speaker 2: That was just the one year. And so it's interesting that is so outsized in my memory. But I think it was that age, you know, around five years old or they say you really start to have concrete memory, and because it was so full of contrast in life, it really stood out. But then yeah, at the end of that year, she was pregnant with my little brother and a friend had told her there was a cosmic mountain up north, and she said, now doesn't that sound cool? And five six years old, what did I know? So we were off again.
Speaker 1: Nina and her mom moved to the remote area of Siskiyou County, which is halfway between San Francisco and Portland. Siskiu is at the foot of Mount Shasta, an active volcano. Could there be a more perfect metaphor? Nina's mom has moved them here to be closer to the mystical mountain she's heard so much about. This is not new to Nina, her mom putting her spirituality at the forefront of their lives.
Speaker 2: There is something very cloistered about childhood. You just understand your life to be the way it is, so I'm sure there was some of that, but I think being born into a transcendental meditation community and it wasn't Camm you like in the way that some people might imagine. But it was a small town in which people were all practicing TM toye a day, and my parents were both very united in what they felt was their contribution to creating world peace and before so I think, before I even remember, that's kind of what I was born into, and I'm sure I was surrounded by this sort of language. My mother got into tarot and astrology and things like channeling very early on. That's part of why she left TM. So I think even if I don't remember this language consciously much before we got to Mount Shasta, it was sort of in me through osmosis, if nothing else. So, and she kind of had this great adventurous spirit. And much like my life in San Francisco, which felt like in a juxtaposition between this gritty, grimy, bright city life and the sort of calm, meditative tones of White Pony, my mom contained that duality as well. So you know, she could kind of like run with the people in the street and talk a little shit, but she is always reading about the saints and sort of spoke about the cosmos and enlightenment and angels in the same sentences.
Speaker 1: In the meantime, Nina's dad remarries a woman named Beth. While Nina and her mom live at the base of this magical mountain, her dad and Beth end up in the hill country in Texas. Living a spiritual life is important to her dad too, and he and Beth are part of a meditation community. But back at the volcanic rock, life goes on for Nina and her mom. Nina's mom has another child some years later, Nina's younger brother, Christopher. Finances are tight for the family, and Nina's mom, for better or worse, is not exactly shy about sharing this financial precarity with her daughter.
Speaker 2: It was sort of like, you know, the ticker on a news show was just the running tally. She she was always working out her finances on little pieces of paper at a cafe. And I knew, you know, very early on, what each little treat cost us. So I really learned not to ask for those things, and I knew that if I if I didn't I received them. There could sometimes be blowback because she, like most mothers, you know, I'm sure she wanted to treat me, so sometimes she might buy a pizzaen set of paying the electric Bill, but there was always a fallout for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a really arresting moment where she's having trouble with a tooth and she just says, well, it's time to go to Tijuana because that's that's where you go for dentistry.
Speaker 2: Ninety nine dollars root canal.
Speaker 1: And so you were privy to all that, absorbed that as a child, and then you had your dad and Bess in Texas in this TM community. But it seems also in a more day to day stable life than your mom's life.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. I think you know my dad from what I understand, it is own natural procurity at times, and they all did because they were very dedicated to this movement that they had made the center of their life, which was ultimately a movement toward, you know, achieving world peace. So no one was rolling in the dough. But the life that they eventually built, and as I came into, you know, being in second, third, fourth, fifth grade, was one that was very sort of quiet and stable. They lived in a rural sort of subdivision that they had all built as a community, and that was the place I would say I had the closest to an Americana childhood. I mean I had a little bike with the banana seat and the streamers. I would write it to my friend's house. And it was not a wealthy life by any means, but it was very comfortable. I mean, it felt kind of protected in middle class. After my mom and I moved to California. Most every summer from I'd say age five or six through toward the end of high school, I would fly out from California and go stay with my dad and Beth in Texas for the summer, maybe a month or so, and then after that I would fly to his parents' home in Miami for a couple of weeks and my grandfather, his father was a renowned surgeon, and they lived a very different life. Again, it wasn't ostentatious, but it was definitely the wealthiest environment that I was ever in as a child.
Speaker 1: We'll be back in a moment with more family secrets. When Nina is in the fifth grade, about ten or eleven, her mother says to her, I am a walk him. Her mother, whose name is Anita, also says something about the Anitas Anita one and Anita two. Nina isn't sure what to make of any of this, what is her mom talking about?
Speaker 2: That must have been, you know, the early nineties and on OPRAH there was a lot of talk shows doing segments on like past life progression, sort of memories of abuse emerging. Do you remember this? Yeah? Yeah, So I feel like this idea sort of was born of that time. So a walk in too, and you can find you know, sort of communities online that feel that they are Walking's Ruth Montgomery, I think sort of wrote a seminal book about that, describing what it is a person that feels like they are walking. It is a pre agreed upon contract that your soul makes with another soul before you're born. And that agreement is that at some point in your life, when your soul has completed its its tasks or its lessons or whatever it came here to do, so to speak, then your soul will exit the body and this new soul will enter it. So you will essentially be outwardly the same, but this new soul is in the body and it has its own sort of karmic lessons that it needs to learn and things that it needs to follow out.
Speaker 1: So your mom explains this to you, and what did that feel like for you? I mean, your mom was essentially saying to you, I look the same, but I'm a different person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean terrifying, Like that is just I felt like I was in a horror film. You know. It just was so spooky. I remember that very viscerally, and but just remember having chills and being both scared and confused because the way that she presented it to me was sort of in this calming, assured way, like oh no, it's better now, you know. And because she said, you know, I was Anita one and now I'm Anita two, and looking back, I feel like she was trying to distill it into child terms. But that was terrifying, because you know what, Anita too is not my mom, who the hell is she? But the way she was explaining it was a very matter of fact and straightforward and like, you know, it's better now. Anita one wasn't doing well and Nita two is here, and she's like, you know, she has her stuff more together, she's healthier, she's grounded, she's going to take better care of you guys. And it felt, I don't know, like just a total schism. I just didn't know how to make sense of it. It was both like really frightening. But then what was I to do but just trust this new old person.
Speaker 1: By the time Nina is in the sixth grade, her mom has managed to scrape together a little money bought a house in a town called Weed, So in one sense, life is a bit more settled, But there's an undercurrent, something lurking. Up until that point in Nina's life, she's been aware of her mother's burns. She knows her mom wears turtlenecks no matter what the season, to cover the burns on her neck, but Nina's never known exactly what happened or why. Now her mom decides would be a good time to tell Nina the story of how her burns came to be.
Speaker 2: So that conversation, and I remember sitting on the couch with my mom, you know, we had these like kind of like dusty, old second hand tweed couches, and I remember sitting there with her, and she just said, it's time for me to tell you the story. And I said, the story of what? And she said my burn and I kind of brushed her off, like you were in a fire.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I knew that I didn't know anything else about it, and I had honestly never thought about it, which people think seems strange. But as a child, you're like that frog in boiling water. You just accept what is. Often we don't question these things until much later in life, unless something really catalyzes that inquiry. So she just sat me down, and she just kind of launched into this story, which in retrospect was like, oh my god. I didn't ask for this story. But she told me how how she grew up in Detroit, and she had been a student at University of Michigan and after her freshman year, I think it was the summer before her sophomore year, her and some girlfriends decided to dig a road trip to Colorado. You know, it was nineteen seventy one, and you know, there was a lot going on politically. The Vietnam protests were happening. All these Buddhist monks had been self immolating. There was a lot of angst and sort of rage in the youth culture, and so they went out to Colorado to see what was happening. And it was a couple of her college roommates and then an older woman who at that time I think was like twenty five or twenty six, and this older woman named Rayelle. I don't know how they were friends. I don't know how they were connected, but you know, it was a university town, so who knows. So they all take this road trip to Colorado, and toward the end of the summer, they're coming back and Rail starts telling my mom these stories about these men that are after them. And my mom is telling me this as I'm sitting on the couch with her, you know, knees to chess, just listening, thinking like, where is this going? You know, what does this have to do? Is my mom's burns but kind of wrapped. So she tells me that Rail's has this story that these men are after them. I'm like, oh my god, you know, and that most of the other girls go home. They're kind of getting freaked out by Rail's stories. But my mom and ray all go back to ann Arbor and by that time it's the fall, but my mom never rear enrolls in school. They're just kind of wandering around town and Rayel is getting increasingly paranoid and saying, not only are these men after them, but if they find them, that they're going to torture them and eventually kill them, and my mom is getting really freaked out by this, and she just can't imagine this, and somehow she starts to believe this too, and then Rayelle says, you know, we should kill ourselves. It would be better to do that than to be tortured. And so, you know, my mom goes along with it, and they're staying in some kitchen and ann arbor, and you know, as my mom is telling me this, I'm thinking like, oh my god, who's this woman? Like what do you mean? How could you believe this? But I'm also really freaked out. And then she says, they found a roll butcher paper and just wrap themselves in it and let themselves on fire. You know, I've come to find out a lot later, a lot more about it as an adult, but in that moment, that's what she told me, and I just was like, you know, shell shocked, could not believe what she was telling me. And then by that point, you know, she'd been telling me the story and her the language was getting more frenetic, and I was just kind of getting caught up in it, sort of like full body chills and kind of like a not in the chest kind of sad and scared for my mom and confused and wondering who this wild lady was. And by that point she has kind of a far away look in her eyes, and then she says, you know, then the firemen came and they wrapped us in wool blankets. There were fire blankets. They wrapped us in fire blankets. It took us to the ambulance and rushed them to the University of Michigan Burn Center. And I think the last thing she said was something like, you know, he saved my life. That fireman saved my life. It was an eerie moment. I mean, I just didn't know what to do with that.
Speaker 1: I mean, how would you characterize what you felt at that time? And I know it's so hard because there are layers and layers, but I mean it was mostly concern for your mother? Or was it fear for yourself?
Speaker 2: Was it?
Speaker 1: I mean, in a way, I'm kind of connecting it back to Anita one and Anita two in the sense of like who are you Innita one?
Speaker 2: Anita too, that was felt like the first sort of like split. You know, my mother and I had been very tight. I think a lot of kids who are raised by single parents, I mean, maybe mothers in particular. I can't speak to it. It might be the same for any parent, but especially when you're raised by a single parent and you don't have much money, you kind of become their little partner in crime. You grow up with them in a way you know much more than maybe is healthy or appropriate at times, because they're just getting by and you're doing it all with them. They don't have the privilege of protecting you from information that maybe a broader or more stable or moneyed household might. So I don't begrudge her taking me along for for those things. I think some stories she told me were too psychologically advanced for the age at which she shared them. But the walking thing, yet, that was the first sort of glitch, like, oh my mother and I are not there's a divide between us. And then with this story, it really felt like, oh my god, my mom has this whole which we all experience at some point, right when you first start to understand your parents as a person. You know that moment comes for us all in different ways. But this was something more than that. Not only was my mother a person on her own who had lived this whole other life, but she'd been involved in something that just who could even wrap their mind around that. So I think that it created this sort of dissonance for me which became a part of my life as a person, as a thinker, as an artist, in which nothing was ever as it seemed. Not only was there always something below the surface, there was many, many lays and that was both sort of intellectually interesting, but as a person and as a child, it was totally destabilizing.
Speaker 1: Right, And it's happening as you're entering your teenage years, great, like right on the cusp there, and your mom came extremely close to dying, which she tells you at that time. And this woman, Rayel does die.
Speaker 2: Right, she dies, not that night, but they end up in the University of Michigan burn unit in two months in November, and two months later around the holidays, Rael dies. I'm not exactly sure from what I think it was complications in infection or something. And then my mom is in the burn unit for six months total before she gets out.
Speaker 1: It's a lot, in fact, it's too much. By the time she's in high school, Nina distances herself from her mother as much as possible. She doesn't exactly run away, she just doesn't come home, and this escape from home extends to other things, a kind of escape from herself. She drinks, does drugs, all the typical high school stuff, except Nina is rebelling with more than the usual teenage gusto. She's hell bent on self destruction. She's in this phase of CouchSurfing at friends homes, relying on the kindness of other people's families. When her mother decides that enough is enough, she insists that Nina come home, and in a way, Nina wants to come home, but once she does, she's overtaken by a rage she hasn't allowed herself to feel up until now, and she writes her mother a letter that begins with the salutation mommy dearest. Now, Mommy Dearest was a film, a biopic about Joan Crawford who had been a nightmarish mother, and Nina and her mom had watched this film together, so the phrase is a terrible blow. Nina leaves the letter for her mother and goes off to school.
Speaker 2: So when I came home from school and I felt, you know, this great flood of relief leaving that letter for her and thinking like, screwed it, you know, and finally saying all the things I didn't say, all the feelings that I ate, all the ways that I listened to you tell me these things I didn't want to hear, et cetera. Like it all came out and I felt very justified. And then I came home from school and she didn't say a thing to me, Like half of the things on my bedroom walls were gone, and there was a pile of boxes on the floor and she was packing up my room and she just turned around and said, you know, if that's how you feel, you can get the fuck out of my house. And I immediately felt like that sort of you know, righteous feeling I had just disappeared, and I just felt like kind of a hot flush of shame, and I just thought, oh my god, what have I done. You know, my mother is a lot of things, and was a lot of things, but she was not that woman. And I did it to hurt her, and because I was hurt, and I did deserve a voice in that conversation, but it had gone so far that that's how it came out, and so she said, you can get out, and I just felt totally ashamed. And I remember picking up the boxes and just not saying a word. We didn't say anything else to each other. I crammed some boxes in the trunk of my car and I went back in to get the rest, and as I was sort of closing the trunk, I saw one of the boxes flapped open, and on the top of you know, a pile of clothes, there was a copy of the book Mommy Dearest, like an old, you know, ratty copy from the thrift store or something. I don't know if she had it in her collection or if she went and bought it that day, which I would not put past my mother, like if you want to activate your petty, she will always win. The cover was missing, though, So I picked up this book and she had ripped the front cover off and on the first page, in her big sort of like flowering cursive, she had written love Mommy dearest. So she had signed the book to me.
Speaker 1: Do you still have that?
Speaker 2: Oh? No, God, I wish that could go on the archive. You know. So if you ever wanted to fight my mother with fire, you were not going to win.
Speaker 1: So this becomes the beginning of a rift. It sort of gets band aids on it, but it never really heals after that.
Speaker 2: That's right. Yeah, it feels strained. I kind of leave and I'm living out of a trailer, and then I have a temporary situation where I'm living with a friend, and eventually I moved back home with my mom, but you know, for a year or so, and we're kind of polite, like things have settled, but it were never close like we were again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so interesting because she was obviously so ill and at the same time, the best part of her identity was very wrapped up in being a mother, even though you know, in like mothering one oh one, she failed in all sorts of ways. We were all such complicated human beings. She was an incredibly complicated human being. Yeah, of course, we'll be right back. Nina goes off to college and to Italy for a semester. Abroad, she's only a little bit in touch with her mom, whose reality is continuing to deteriorate. Nina gets worrying messages from her, but as she's finally experiencing some freedom in her adult life, she tries not to let her worry get in the way. She's in Italy. After all, how much can she really do to help her man? Now, When she gets back from studying abroad, she sees a blinking green light on her message machine. The message is from her mother's friend, March.
Speaker 2: March tells me that probably as my flight was returning from a semester abroad Italy, my mom has let her house, the house we were living in Weed, you know where. She had told me about the first fire, that she let her house on fire and been charged with fillanny arson and is now in county jail. And so I obviously freak out and call March back. And I don't get much more information than that, but just that, you know, my mom had some sort of psychotic break and let her house on fire. Came to sort of as it was happening, that's all, a little murky realized she didn't want to do this and kind of ran outside and called the fire department, and with fire department King, and I'm sure what they encountered was must have been a woman in great distress, but instead of getting her help, she was booked and put in the back of a squad car and charged.
Speaker 1: And she had also told your brother Chris to leave the house.
Speaker 2: She had, Yeah, I think because I you know, my brother was only fifteen at that time, and we weren't that close, because you know, I was away in college and at that point I was so deeply devoted to my family and would have done anything for them, but there was a part of me that was sort of, as you said, emotionally disconnected, sort of like fingers in the ears, la la la la la. So I could go, and I had to do that so I could build a life of my own. And I think while I was in Italy there was some of that denial coming into place, with the fact that she was writing these emails which were pretty unhinged, and I was still just you know, going for weekend trips to Waldough beaut in a and drinking per secon go and eating cheese, and I just didn't want to deal with it, to be honest by that point, which sounds harsh, but if you've lived a life anything like this, you can probably relate. So Marge said, Oh, don't worry. You know, your brother's with his friends, and I thought, oh, my god, my brother. And I found out later that my mom had him go to a friend's house. She just said, I'm not feeling good, you need to go to a friend's house. So I think in a few days leading up to the fire. She was really breaking down, and she was aware enough to know, like, you've got to get out of your I don't know what I'm going to do.
Speaker 1: So you go to pick Chris up at high school so that you can go see your mother. And there's a line in your book which I noted, which is someone older or wiser should have been driving that day. And I actually wrote in the margin I'm in like, I mean please, yeah, I mean, I'm end to that. You know that there's this fifteen year old and this twenty two year old going to see their mother who's been put in jail for suspected arson. And where were your father and Beth during that period of time, like during that crisis as the parents who much more were mentally together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they were, you know, still like physically, you know, they were in Texas. I think after I got that call, I left. I was in school in San Diego. I was at you see, San Diego, and I flew home. My final quarter of school I was about to graduate, was starting like two days later, So I email my professors, took a week off, and I flew home, borrowed a car from you know, an old friend's dad and drove and got my brother and was like, we're going to see mom and figure out, you know, what the hell's going on. It was like visiting hours. You know, you had to get there between you know, four thirty and five thirty years. So we got there. We talked to my mom through you know, the sort of soup caned phones that they have in jail, and she was in a jumpsuit and it was just so surreal. I mean, my brother hardly said anything, but she said, you know, I want you to get me a lawyer. And this was my mom. You know, She's like, I'm not going to get stuck with a public defender.
Speaker 1: The other thing that was very intense about seeing her in that orange jumpsuit was that it was maybe the first time that you had ever seen your mother, certainly in public, with her scars just out in the open. Right.
Speaker 2: She would wear turtlenecks every day, and she bore them under dresses, she bore them under a T shirt or you know, a button down. She was always covering, you know, because her scars went up her neck and they ended right at her jaw line, and she actually had the outer part of her ears had been burned off. Well, but if she wore you know, she had sort of like a chin lenk bob most of my life. So she wore it like that, and then she wore eternal neck to cover the neck, and her face was intact, and she was quite beautiful and you just would never know that. And so in that jumpsuit, her neck was totally exposed. And yeah, that was just such a poignant moment because it was almost as shocking to see my mother's neck exposed as it was to see her in jail. There were just so many levels of secrecy, I guess, but there were so many levels of covering, is what I would call it. Because my mom never said, you know, my body's a secret, or even this fire is a secret. She never my mother never asked me to keep a secret my whole life. But there were so many things that I just knew were secrets that I internalized. And maybe that was because of the environments around me didn't seem amenable to hearing those things. I'm not sure. I just kind of knew. So as we left the jail, I thought, okay, I needed to hire a lawyer, and her friend Marge had given me a number for a lawyer. So I called him and he said, you know, to retain me, it'll be three thousand dollars. So I went to a payphone. My brother was waiting the car. I went to a payphone and called the only person that I knew that I could ask for three thousand dollars, which was my father. I told him briefly what had happened. He was obviously in shock and just asked, if you know, we were okay, But I was very to business at that point, and I just said, I need this money. I have to get it by XYZ day. And he looked at the closest Western Union and said, you know, can you be there by seven o'clock? And I went and I did it, and he didn't ask any other questions. So to his credit, he really came through when we needed it. But then the fallout of that experience, which went on for several months afterward, I was kind of on my own in it. To be honest, I hope that's a fair memory, because that's how it is in my mind. My mom ended up spending three months in jail, even with the private attorney that we hired, and my brother was with his best friend's family who were close to my mom and knew her well, and she trusted them and they really took him in. And I went back to college to finish school, and the.
Speaker 1: Arson investigation found your mom temporarily insane was the phrase.
Speaker 2: That was a phrase. And I didn't meet I was. I think I was up in California, you know, because that was at the very top of the state, and I was at school in San Diego, very bottom of the state. So I think I was up there for a week or so, helping with details and getting my brother settled, and I met him. I remember meeting the insurance inspector at the house, and I don't even remember what kind of questions he asked, but they're basically trying to assess whether you were doing this for money, you know, whether she had burned the house down for insurance money. So we asked some questions, and then the verdict came back, and he went been met with her in the jail and you know, interviewed her, and the verdict came back temporarily insane. So they awarded a full money to rebuild the house, which was a sort of twisted blessing, you know.
Speaker 1: But yeah, and I imagine it must have been so surreal, like the way you describe it to You know that this house which was the sight of so much, and which you know had burned to cinders, then being rebuilt in this kind of everything new, you know, like your mother now had like her own meditation room. Right a week before Nina's twenty fourth birthday, her mother dies suddenly of a pulmonary embolism. Her death, even though foreshadowed in all sorts of ways by her life, is shocking, and Nina is at such a tender age on the cusp of adulthood. As she goes through her mother's things, Nina stumbles upon her grandfather's journal, which contains writing about their shared family history, particularly the time her mother set herself on fire. This time, instead of turning away, Nina leans in. She's ready in a sense to know the secrets she has kept from herself, and the way that tragedy when it comes, can spread like a virus or a fire, one terrible thing leading to the next and to the next. So what did you find when you did begin to look up everything that you could about your mother's story.
Speaker 2: With that journal? I was or reading that and somehow feeling connected to my grandfather and even imagining my uncle being there across time. I kind of I wanted to go back to that time, and I wanted to see the story for myself because everything I had ever known about this was just funneled directly from my mother to me, and I had never talked to my dad about it. I had never talked to anyone else about this, including my little brother. So I was just hungry for something grounding, like some real information about this. So I went home to Portland and I googled my mom, which I mean Google didn't exist when when you know, I was first hearing these stories, and it was something that back to the frog and boiling water thing, I had just never thought of. But with my mother gone, there was sort of like this this hole in the time space continuum for me, and it just felt like all these new ideas and possibilities sorted pouring out and I just thought, oh, I have to research and explore this on my own. So I remember being my apartment and googling my mom's name, and it was just all these articles came up from all over the country. I mean some of them were smaller or bigger, but there was a piece in the New York Times about the fire. There was something in you know, the Frisno newspapers. There was coverage of the fire from all over the country, and you know, they were calling them human torches and quoting one of the girls who said to another in the ambulance as they were holding their hands on the way to the burning unit, like, isn't it lovely to die together? I mean, it was just really arresting seeing all that on the screen. For some reason, it really concretized. The whole thing for me was that when.
Speaker 1: You began to find your way into writing about it.
Speaker 2: I was twenty four. Then I really didn't start writing about this until I was almost thirty, and I had gone through a big breakup someone that I was with for years, and I was living on my own for the first time, and I had done all this research on it when I first found that journal and was reading the articles in the newspaper, and I had a bunch of my mom's journals too, and I was reading them and really getting into her psyche and maybe how ill she had been at the end, and it was it kind of consumed my life for a while. But then I tucked it ou and I went back to trying to just live and make my life. And it wasn't until I went through a big breakup and moved out into an apartment on my own. I think I was like twenty nine by then that I really started to try to reckon with all these things that had happened. So it wasn't just oh, this is the information, this is a story that happened to my mother. It was like, well, what happened to me? And it wasn't until I was living in my first little apartment of my own, and you know, I was like doing the artist's way and starting to read self help books, which I had always avoided like the plague before, you know, growing up with like a very new age mother. I was just like, oh, god, whatever. But I sat down one morning. I had this old typewriter that a friend had left me, and I started just writing anything I could think of, like stories, scenarios, scenes, character just all these moments from my life that I had never really processed. I had just sort of lived through and survived and kept it moving. So I really didn't start to ask that what happened to me until I put it down on paper and for one year, every morning I just wrote and wrote, wrote, And then at the end of the year, I had like a stack of three hundred pages. I mean it was crude and wild and all over the place. But I sat down on my couch and I read the stack of pages from front to back. And that was an out of body experience. When I tell you that reading those pages was like reading the story of someone else's life, I mean I just thought, where was I How could I have been? You know, my mother was descending into madness, and that I was over here worried about like do I look cute in these genes? And does this guy like me? It just it was really stark to see it on paper. Eventually, I think then the real work of the book and where I came out the other end was forgiving myself for that, forgiving myself and my mother and understanding that we were all doing what we could to live.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know, it strikes me when you said that about the writer's way and avoiding self help books and all the rest, is that there's another sentence from your book that struck me, which is, in a way, my mother's beliefs stole faith from me and it seems to use the word faith really loosely, like you needed to reclaim that for yourself, and writing is an act of faith. Writing every day, writing forward, not knowing where it's taking you, is making something out of nothing, and that requires something like faith. And in a way, it seems like that knitted back together for you, like something that had been taken from you or just simply not available to you because there was no room for it to be.
Speaker 2: No. I love that. I really feel like I reconstituted myself in the process of writing that story, and not just looking at what had happened and how it had affected me, but also who my mother was and what was and what was not allowed her or a woman like her in the culture in which we live, and so that really helped me understand her in context as well.
Speaker 1: Here's Nina reading one last passage from Love is a burning thing.
Speaker 2: Maybe those of us compelled to tell fractured family stories are the ones who feel unfinished. Maybe we take the ancestors into us and live out all possible lives, wandering down alleyways not ours, just to tie up storylines in the gap left by my mother's family, the Detroit people, the Canadians, the Catholic and the quebec Qua, the Hockey Lovers and Crown Royals, the La Bat Blues. I emerge as mother, father, brother's sister. I am the metallurgist, transforming alloy into cars, the alchemists, rendering mercury to gold. I am perfection and its destruction. I am flash over the whole damn room combusting. I am splitting this town. I am blowing this joint. I am a woman on the run, a neon flash. If you blink, we carry all of the story. See we are the whole scene.
Speaker 1: Family Secrets is a production of iHeartRadio. Molly z Acur is the story editor and Dylan Fagan is the executive producer. If you have a family secret you'd like to share, please leave us a voicemail and your story could appear on an upcoming episode. Our number is one eight eight eight Secret zero. That's the number zero. You can also find me on Instagram at Danny Ryder. And if you'd like to know more about the story that inspired this podcast, check out my memoir Inheritance. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows,