Speaker 1: Wisecrack is released weekly and brought to you absolutely free. But if you want exclusive bonuses and early access, subscribe to tenorfoot plus. Enjoy over thirty shows, including Wisecrack, and over one thousand episodes completely add free. For more information, check out the show notes. Enjoy the episode.
Speaker 2: So I'm talking to mom about the podcast. She's listened to the whole thing, and she picked me up on loads of stuff, like loads of little, insignificant things that don't matter at all. One of the ones that did matter was she told me that my dad was not wearing trousers that night. And when she told me that, I got this like weird that so Raven flashback.
Speaker 3: To the moment on the stairs.
Speaker 4: And I was like, oh, yeah, I thowt that's Penis.
Speaker 2: And it's changed everything for me because now I'm like, oh, was I wearing trousers?
Speaker 4: So where in the world are you today?
Speaker 1: Ed?
Speaker 2: I'm in Liverpool at the moment. I'm in a very budget friendly hotel. I'm doing a weekend at a comedy club here before I come down and see.
Speaker 3: You in London.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm in this closet in my sister in last house in.
Speaker 4: London right now.
Speaker 2: I didn't want to mention it, but there's a motion sense of light, so every thirty seconds it looks like you've had a great idea.
Speaker 1: You've worked with me long enough to know that I don't have ideas that that fast or that No.
Speaker 4: I'm so sorry. All right.
Speaker 1: The last time I saw you, irl, we were in New York and we went to a very fancy Apple Podcast party and we are also have some.
Speaker 4: Too fancy for me, yes, very way too.
Speaker 1: Fancy, and they were I think Apple Podcast was serving us like Christmas caviar.
Speaker 4: And now we're can.
Speaker 2: I just say, by the way, when the man came up to me and said, do you want some Christmas cavia? I thought it was like an innuendo.
Speaker 4: I was like, oh, no, well, we're just just laughing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's fine.
Speaker 4: I guess here's the real question. I know that there was. We had like great, a really.
Speaker 1: Long probably one of our longest zooms was about what should we wear to this party? And now we have two more Wisecrack is up for two more awards, which are in totally different climates at different times of the year. What I don't even know what we're supposed to wear at this point.
Speaker 2: I'm wearing, and I'll like spoiler that I'm wearing jeans and a T shirt because I have jeans and a T shirt. I saw we got nominated for them, and I thought, oh god, I hope they don't want me to wear like black tie because I've got a really thick neck, so I get a collar that fits my neck is too big on my body. It's very exciting, though, like I didn't expect it. Did you expect any of this?
Speaker 1: No? I had no idea. I mean, I love your story, you know that. But it's been six months since we finished and wrapped the story itself, and then I think that we've been distributed for about five months. I was not expecting this kind of reception. It's awesome. What's quick questions? I talk to you every day, but I've never asked you what is your life like? Now? Has it changed at all? Because of the overwhelming response, awards and such.
Speaker 2: It's different, It's definitely different. It's not something I was prepared for. What I didn't expect is that your situation can change. But even if that happens, you still stay the same person. So now it's like it feels like I've been picked out of one sitcom and put into another. All the characters a different everyone's got shiny shoes, everyone's very nice and friendly, and there are a lot more Americans in my life, which is cool. And also one thing that's really really strange is because obviously people that have listened to the podcasts will know that I didn't have heaps of mates growing up. So now I feel like I've got all these internet friends that will message me randomly and be like, what do you think of this? I'm like, I don't know, but yeah, it's different, it's fun. There's a lot of cool stuff happening, and I'm kind of trying to just stay loosey goosey and react to things as they come. I don't think you can really expect.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't think you can prepare for something like this because of the nature of the podcast and the nature of true crime. People care so deeply about these things that we made, and as a comedian, I'm used to just next joke, tell it laugh, next joke, tell it laugh. So when you make something like this and it resonates with people, it's it's definitely an adjustment. But all in all, i'd say it's been good. What about you have you you got a lamba, You've got a baghatti?
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I.
Speaker 1: Would actually say it's so true. What you said is so perfect. You're still the same person. I mean, it's been so lovely and validating knowing how long we've worked on this for people to have enjoyed it. I think the in terms of response, I think the most surprising thing has been. It actually came from a writer's podcast and they called our podcast like a book club podcast, which means that people like sit around listen to it and then have long conversations and questions about it. I think that's so cool. I never thought about that when we were making it, but it really does touch on a lot of It brings up a lot of emotion, obviously for a lot of people, family bullying, domestic violence, you know, there's obviously lots of homicide in it.
Speaker 4: So that was a cool moment for me.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, oh, we made that and that's how people, I think, engage with it. So that that's been that's been pretty nice. Ed what's the what's the wildest take from a fan that you've gotten since we've started.
Speaker 2: Oh, I've had a couple of so mostly everything's been really nice, right, Everyone's been lovely. A few people have come to me and been like, you know, I doubt what you say, and that's fair enough. That's not a wild take. I think with a story like this, it's polarizing. It's a first hand account. I'm a comedian, so it's difficult to take it seriously at times. But someone came to me and they sent me a help pline to call because they felt that you had preyed on me and that I was a vulnerable person. And I was like, I'm not a vulnerable person. I've got a car. Like she said, she said, Jody definitely took advantage of you. Jody has one hundred percent taking advantage of you, and I do not believe her intentions to you are good. And then her message ended with you need as much distance from Jody as possible, and I was like, honestly, at this stage, Jody has the log into half of my online DEVI I couldn't get into Amazon without Jody. I think even if she was preying on me, I need Jody to survive.
Speaker 3: What about you? Have you had anyone that's like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know it?
Speaker 1: Similarly, I think I get a lot of messages like did you that adds the bully, that he's the bully in the.
Speaker 4: Story me you bully. You know, there's not a lot of justification.
Speaker 1: When I received that message is find why you're the bully? But that theory has floated a lot a lot. It made the rounds on Reddit. I don't see a lot of a lot of support yeah behind it. But that was the other one. I you know, I never know how to respond because I know that you're not. But uh yeah, that one's the wildest one. I will say, I haven't had anybody.
Speaker 3: Them a picture of me.
Speaker 1: Just send them exactly I would. I would say, come to the show, look at this.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I've got to say at this point, send them a picture of me when I was a kid.
Speaker 3: Exactly. I was not.
Speaker 2: You'll take one look at thirteen year old me, and you're like, this kid. The only thing this kid is bullying is himself. That's not true. Also, what kind of bully turns into a comedian like I came. I became a comedian for a reason, and it's because.
Speaker 4: I need love exactly.
Speaker 1: So, Ed, I know that you're busy doing so many other shows, in addition to going on tour with Wisecrack. But I think the hardest part for me has been packing because every suitcase that we do, every place that we go, they charge you for a suit case. So trying to put like three weeks for an international trip into one carry on has been the hardest part for me. Any advice I the.
Speaker 2: Only advice I could even begin to possibly have is why did we book a tour in so many different climates. I've got swimming trunks, I've got raincoats, I've got gloves and mittens. I was in New York and December the wind nearly destroyed me. So I have no advice for you, Jody, other than we either commit to being cold or we commit to having too much stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're basically always going to be slightly uncomfortable in our own clothes. Yeah, I'm fine with that. I'm really excited about going on tour. This is something that I never expected to do, certainly living behind the microphone and as a producer.
Speaker 3: That's my favorite thing about us going on tour.
Speaker 1: So you just landed in Liverpool. I'm in London and we're going to Dublin in two days, and I'm excited. I've never been on tour before, but this is this is so wild to me. Is I know this is your life, but this is very s range for me. But I'm also like insanely pumped about it and have no idea what to wear.
Speaker 2: It is going to be the most fun I've been looking at where we're going. Dublin's gonna be a laugh. We're gonna get Guinness.
Speaker 3: We are.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm in my head putting together all the things we're gonna do. Cowboy hats in Nashville, cream Pie and Boston, the donut, what else.
Speaker 3: There's loads of stuff.
Speaker 4: There's too much stuff.
Speaker 2: So anyway, we're going on tour. I'm doing shows all over the US and the UK, and I'm not taking a show. Now that I know more about that night, like little bits that I've kind of blocked out, I've had to re examine the comedy set of Wisecrack and go through all these things and like relive the night in a really funny way. There's loads about that night that I didn't remember properly. And now I'm writing all these things and being like, oh, yeah, Dad didn't wear pants, Dad never pants. Mum was on Google when this was all going on, and I was getting frustrated at Mum because she was googling stuff and I'm like, there's someone at the door.
Speaker 3: Like it's been a trip.
Speaker 2: So after Mum told me all of these little add ons, little bits that I've misremembered, I've been putting them into the show. And as I'm like writing our tour show and making it kind of different and new, I'm coming across all of these stories that I haven't told before on stage, and I've been having so much fun, like going to little clubs, telling them for the first time, working them out, and I'm like, oh.
Speaker 3: Mum's really weird.
Speaker 2: Like there are lots of little things that I'm like really excited to tell people.
Speaker 3: And it's been really nice.
Speaker 2: It's been really nice, like digging back through the archives and thinking of stories that I can tell. There are a few stories from when I moved to London first that I didn't get to tell in the podcast that I'm really excited for people to see.
Speaker 3: And that's an o thing.
Speaker 2: People that have heard the podcast wouldn't have heard all the bits that I'm not allowed to say in the podcast. So this tour is going to have loads of little stories of like this is what actually happened when I went and moved to London. Essentially, the tour is the podcast without an editor.
Speaker 1: Carol is a huge influence in this tour because in terms of my uh visuals that we're going to be showing people things that no one's ever seen before. I mean technically people have never seen you perform, who have heard the podcast right heard only, but your mom sent me a lot of fixtures. We have so of all yes, of all fluctuating, various ed weights and ages, which we'll be sharing obviously with some of your news. You've got fat me, I've got fat ed, I've got lots of fat ad on my phone. Okay, it's going to be cool because in addition, I think that, like you know, if people, obviously you want to come and laugh, but I think that if you're interested in the criming portion of things.
Speaker 4: We're going to have stuff for you too.
Speaker 1: So obviously Carol's been sending me a lot of good photos, but I think it's really fun to put together, I think, and visualize what you've heard in your head before with the actual places, and I think, like I showed some of my friends and it was just like a light bulb went on. It really just created like a new dimension for them and the story and what they heard. So I think that again, like on this the crime you side, I think people will really dig some of the visuals that were presenting and again like new things that nobody's seen.
Speaker 3: Let me just get this straight real quick.
Speaker 2: You've gone to my mother to get pictures of me overweight, and then you've shown them to your fancy New York friends.
Speaker 1: Yes, they think it's adorable for just a record.
Speaker 2: Does any part of you feel guilty about doing that, Jodie, does any small part of you think, Ah, maybe this kid sitting at home right now playing with his lego doesn't know that I'm showing people a chubby little this is I'm gonna call it the yellow card for you. That is unacceptable. The socialites of New York. I know what circles you roll in. The socialites of New York are all still around at your fancy cocktail. Part is looking at fat me befooring before you go to Broadway.
Speaker 1: Wow, No, that's that's all Charles's fancy friends mine. But yeah, your mom was happy to roll over and give me stuff, So I would really, I would go back to the source material here.
Speaker 2: Traitor, I'm calling it, She's a traitor. This is the headline of this episode, Who Can Ed Trust? Season two? Ed does some digging out some people, get some names in his little black book.
Speaker 1: Ed, you haven't been to a lot of parts of the United States that you're about to see on this tour. I'm going to show you. Actually, no, yeah, I know you've been to New York. We were in New York last month together. But we're going to see some more of the remote places. I'm going to list some of the locations that we're going to, and I want you to This is very who's line. Just instantly tell me the first word that comes into your mind.
Speaker 3: Do it?
Speaker 4: You ready?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 4: All right? Here we go.
Speaker 2: Pittsburgh, the Pittsburgh Pirates, the famous softball team, the Pittsburgh Pirates, famous for the Pittsburgh Croissant.
Speaker 4: Okay, Saint Louis, the Saint.
Speaker 2: Louis Soda Pops, the famous WNBA team that won the Super Bowl back in twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 4: Okay, here we go. What about?
Speaker 1: Where else do we have? Oh, this is an interesting one. Hudson Valley, New York.
Speaker 2: Hudson Valley, New York, a small land inlet off the Hudson River famous for producing Now I do actually know something about this one. They make wine, and that wine was you killed it there snuck into New York?
Speaker 3: Did I?
Speaker 2: And famously al Capone snuck the wine into New York during the Prohibition, and that is how we got the Pete Rats, the famous major league baseball team in the PiZZ Rats. Next, am I close on any of these?
Speaker 3: No? Hit me with another one? Hit me. I'm gonna know the next one.
Speaker 1: All right, here we go as Chicago.
Speaker 2: Ah, the Rainy City. Sleepless in Chicago with Tom Hanks was one of his better films, where he owned a bookshop and it got turned into a very big bookshop. It is the rainy city in it? Now that Seattle? Oh?
Speaker 3: What is? Chicago's a weather city? In it? The sunny city.
Speaker 1: Chicago's the windy city. But it does rain there occasionally. It probably will be rainy while we're there. Okay, here's another one. Austin Texas.
Speaker 3: Austin Texas.
Speaker 2: Uh, it's in Texas, so it's massive because everything is bigger in Texas. Oh, is there a BUCkies in Austin. Is there a BUCkies anywhere? I just want to go. Look, this whole podcast has been a ED wants to go to BUCkies experience, and as of yet, no BUCkies. BUCkies are not a paid sponsor of this podcast. However, BUCkies, if you're listening, oh give me something, do something?
Speaker 3: Just you up? Have you seen? But you know what BUCkies is, don't you?
Speaker 1: Of course BUCkies is the best. In fact, it's interesting you say that. I believe they're an organization that started in Texas. I think that's where their headquarters is. So I'm sure that there are some, is it?
Speaker 4: I think so?
Speaker 2: If my dream day, my dream day right off the bat Aquarium in the morning, we hit up a BUCkies, lots bluge head to a Bojangles. I don't know if I'm allowed to say all these brands, but none of them are playing us, so we'll make that clear. But they're here because I love them. Hit up a Bojangles, and then after that, I want to do a corn hole.
Speaker 4: Do a corn hole?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you throw the you're a big old cookout and you throw the bag and it goes in the hole and then you win a horse.
Speaker 3: I don't know what we do, but.
Speaker 4: We can, we can definitely make that happen.
Speaker 3: For let's do it. Do a corn I'm a corn holer.
Speaker 2: I haven't one thing I haven't done throughout all of this is have anything even remotely like an ego. So I just I want to take a you call if I take an ego. Second, and just like, because this is going out to people that have listened and enjoyed the podcast, so we can all celebrate together.
Speaker 3: Can we do that?
Speaker 1: Absolutely? I think you've earned it, right?
Speaker 3: Cool?
Speaker 2: Please no one clip this and be like, who is this guy? We are the We are the leader in nominations at the Ambies, right. We are podcast of the Year, Best Society and Culture. I didn't even know I was a society, but I'm certainly not cultured. We are best production and sound Design. That's all the nerds back behind the behind the camera. That's the guys that are making this happen. So like, I mean, well done, guys, but you know, you know there's no interest in me.
Speaker 3: We are best script.
Speaker 2: Writing, which I love because me and Charles, who is who is the podcast? Are nominated together And Charles rightly pointed out that I've never sent an email without the little red spelling mistake lines attached to it, Like every email I sounded looks like a toddler's just slammed the keyboards. And we are also nominated for Best Comedy. We're like the award nomination leaders. And at first I was really happy about that, But then if we don't win anything, we are the biggest loser. We have the maximum potential to lose. For me, it's like when you do a gig and everyone is doing amazing on the bill and people are like, Oh, it's a great room to play, and then in my head, I'm always like, well, this is an open goal and if I miss it, I'm gonna look like even more of an idiot. But it's really cool that we got all these nominations and then we've got an iHeart Podcast Award nomination. We're going to south By Southwest for that. That's really exciting. In my head, south By Southwest is a mixture of Coachella and the good, the bad, and the ugly. If that's not correct, I don't want to know. The main thing I'm worried about is getting a suit. Here's my problem with suits. I am what is known in the industry as a sweater, and I'm worried that you're taking me to some like hot desert place. Like when I think of Austin, I think of like wild wild West. You're going to drop me in Austin in a three piece of fruit with a little kummerbund and my little head all done up.
Speaker 3: And I don't look good in a suit.
Speaker 2: Whenever I wear a suit, I look like a pro athlete that's like on trial for punching someone outside of a nightclub.
Speaker 3: I don't look good, looks suss.
Speaker 2: And it's easy for you, Like I've seen you, Jody dressed to the nines and you look like someone that can like fits in in that society.
Speaker 3: I'm going to look like a child at a wedding. I'm gonna look so bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have no advice for you here about what to wear. That is one thing. As someone who is a face sweater, so only sweats on the face, I'm in big trouble.
Speaker 4: But I don't know.
Speaker 1: I feel like, just be yourself. That's why that's why people like it.
Speaker 2: Do you remember when we went to crime con in Denver right before my show, that lady was like, oh, do you want makeup, and I sat in her little makeup chair and she came over and for the listeners, I thought she was gonna put like blusher on me or like eyeliner. She gets this big sheet of a four grease soaking up paper and just slams it against my face and is like, there you go, done, And I'm like, oh, I didn't know how greasy I was. And when she pulled it off, honestly, it looked like the wrapper from like a Wendy's.
Speaker 3: It was gross. And I then she was like, oh, go and do the show.
Speaker 2: So when I walked out on stage at Crime Coning, Donver, the first thing I had think, like had in my mind was oh, I'm such a greasy boy.
Speaker 3: It was so sad for me.
Speaker 1: I think we have done enough self congratulations for all our hearties and AMBI nominations. Again, as you know, I have no idea how to pack for this tour. But what are you, I guess what are you most excited about?
Speaker 2: Ah, Just to be honest with you, I'm really excited about going on the road and doing the show and showing people like the way that I've changed the story and the new little bits of information I've got to give them because I'm a comedian. I just want a gig. I just want to be in front of people in the room. And it's really cool that people have listened to it and enjoyed it. But being in the room and sharing a moment, there's something so nice about that. Also, another thing that I'm really excited for at the end of you know the show and then the factual part from you where you give the crimes that juicy goss, We're doing a Q and A section. I am so excited to actually speak to people that have enjoyed what we made. And if you're listening to this and you're coming to the show, send any questions like anything. I promise you nothing is off limits. Send any questions you've got to the wisecrack Instagram page. They will get shown on a big screen. We will read them out and we will answer them. And if anyone hasn't, like got tickets or anything, mate, you should absolutely come. It's gonna be dumb, it's gonna be silly, it's going to be it's going to be everything the podcast was. Except what they've done is they've kind of let me off the chain a little bit and let me kind of play with you guys a little bit more so if you're not got tickets. Oh, this is where I've got to be professional. Wisecracklive dot com. Get tickets. Come and spend the evening with us. Come and listen to the bits that we couldn't put in the podcast. Come and see some pictures. Apparently I didn't know we were doing that, but brilliant, there's pictures. And yeah, it's just gonna be really fun. It's gonna be really fun. Every show is gonna happen. At the end of Jody and me driving down the road to get to like the venue, Stuff's gonna happen along the way. We'll see you after the gig. Will hang out if there's a nearby bar. I mean I'll go out and drink. I don't know if Jody will because Jody's loom, but yeah, come to the show. That's what I'm excited for. Does that answer your question? I feel like I ramble too much? Does that answer your question?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: And answers too much? And into the driving. I will be the one that's doing the driving. I've been in the car with you. Oh, we'll be safe. We will make it to the shows.
Speaker 2: No, let me have a go with the drive. Although I'll tell you what driving around Denver did not enjoy. But let me have a go drive in. Give me a three strike rule. If I do three things wrong then we can do it. Also, if you're in in London and Dublin, God, those shows are coming up real quick, aren't they. If you're in London and Dublin, come to those shows. We're in London on the fourteenth, We're in Dublin on the ninth. I think, yep, they're going.
Speaker 3: To be fun.
Speaker 2: I think Dublin's nearly sold out, which is going to be amazing. We're gonna go for a drink afterwards. London at the Leicester Square Theater is just a beautiful venue. And it's on Valentine's Day.
Speaker 4: Yes, Valentine's Day.
Speaker 1: If you are annoyed at your partner, if you've ever, if you want to go have a good time out, pretend to be single for a little while, this is the one for you. We're going to have a good time. It'll be a little themed. Yeah, please come out. It'll be a good one.
Speaker 2: We're going to make a shape of a big love heart on the floor.
Speaker 3: In short like a crime scene. It's gonna be a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: I guess I will see you at Heathrow. No, I see you in Dublin. In Dublin in a couple of days
Speaker 2: I've got some shows to do in some Liverpudlians, and then will get drunken Dublin