Speaker 1: Milk Bus has all the knowledge you want.
Speaker 2: My league bus has here the knowledge you need.
Speaker 1: Myligus yet they have all the books that the whole wild world one of breed Malgue Books. Welcome, Welcome, Welcome to Malik's Bookshow, Bringing a world together with books, culture and community. Hi, my name is Malik, your host of Malite Bookshelf. I've been on a long journey. Should I say vacation, Well, hey, I deserve it. I had a lot going on and I had to take a break. I had to get my mind right so I could come back bigger and better. That's right, the new and Improved Malif's Bookshelf. I'm going to be doing some things a lot different going forward, so stay tuned on that. But hey, this is going to be the only eighth episode that in itself is a milestone. You know. When I first started, I just jumped into it. But hey, like anything in life, you got to grow, you got to learn. But I've just been blessed to get a lot of interviews, through a lot of book reviews, and grow my audience here on Malice Bookshelf, bringing the world together with books, culture and community. I'd rather say I'm not back on better.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I got that statement from Shikari Richardson, who won the World Athletic Championships out in Budapest this year, and it was annoy now because you don't know what athletics is. That's another term for track and field. Used to be called track and field. Well the word now is athletics, so we're gonna go with that, okay, But she won the world she took the goat. And I know this personally, not because I saw it on social media. I saw it on television. I was there in Budapest watching her do her thing. Silence all the naysayers put the smack down on the goat. That's right. And the Shikar of shanis Kajashi, who won the two hundred meters in the limits. She took down not only Shirley an Freezer, the goat she took downis Kajak, both Jamaicans, and won the crown jew of the world's fastest woman in the world and broke the World Championship record ten point six five ten sixty five, the fastest time ever ran in the World Championship. I was blessed to be there and Budapest in Hungary. I enjoyed it. It was a great exp Let me tell you that city is I felt like I was in the United States because that city felt like it was home. And let me tell you something. I was greatly surprised how good the food was. The food was extraordinary, I mean delicious. I couldn't believe. You know. I made a lot of chicken burgers, but that chicken burger I had at Budapest was delicious. And let me tell you something. I went to this Mexican restaurant and it was called Mexican Amigo. You know, so you know, gringo amigo that's what it was called. So that means white friend, right. Amingo means gringo means white. Amigo means friend, white friend. You know what I'm saying. Let me tell you something I don't Well, I looked it up. I didn't see any in America. But let me tell you that Mexican food I had all the way and Budapest in Hungary was deep delicious. No, I only mentioned that we had some traditional Hungarian meal. Boy, they love gulash out there.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: I'm not a gula shi. My son ate the gula this my son was in Vienna Californi and he you know, it was only two hour train ride for him to come over to Boodle. So he hung out with us in Budapest. So we had a good time, you know, and my son, now that I mean, I don't know how the stars lined up, but it did. I was hoping he had a chance to run it, you know, because that's why he was in Europe. He was running. But it didn't work out. But hey, he was there and came over and we all hung out together for about three four days. My son, my wife and me was all in Budapest and we had a wonderful time. Stayed at the wonderful hotel call you know, the Rents Calton, which was very you know, plush, elegant and well maintained. It's a brand and it's an upscale brand, and it was a great stay at the Ridge Calton in Budapest. But it was festive, it was electric, it was extraordinary. It was just a wonderful experience from being in budapast to the most supportant World Athletic Championships twenty twenty three that was off the chain. So we had a beautiful time as we at the World Championships and didn't you know we started there in Budapast. But then you know, I was there for five days. But I went to the track meet three times. Well it was five sessions morning and the evening and so forth. I went to five sessions. So I witnessed the one hundred meter finals. I witnessed nord Liles from the USA, when the one hundred meters men Tom spec. I witnessed a lot of world or championship workers and some world records there shot put us extraordinary to watch the Sweden guy you know who came up the last throw, the one who was second place, threw further than his leading throw and he came up one throw left and he broke the record. Today told the dog that was extraordinary and electric, and the crowd went off. I mean he went off. So you know to watch that.
Speaker 2: Now, this guy, you know, he a Viking, he come from you know, Sweden, and he won.
Speaker 1: He you know that that's that Viking territory. He was big, huge, you know what I'm saying. So he took down the world championship to win it. Watched long jump through that thing. It was just a spectacular and very electric and exciting. Every enthusiastic everybody had. It was just man, it was beautiful. That was my first time ever attending the World Championship. So hey, you know, hey, if you got to live, you don't lived once. So let me tell you something. You can work your whole life, but one day, you know, you can't take these nothing with you when you pass away. You can't take your wealth knowing your memory. So enjoy This world has a lot to offer, and sometimes you got to leave your little ram, your little space and journey on out journey and go beyond. You know. Like I said, I never went to the World Championship, so that was my first and I'm a truck runner and I love track, so hey, but it was never too late fifty nine, but hey, I finally went to the World Championships and I had a wonderful time, wonderful experience. And then me and April we left and went to Greece. Right, and we went to Greece. I've never been to Greece, and we visited three location Athens, me Scots, the Party the Miklos that is the Party Island, and we visited Eos and it was just a wonderful experience. And I tell you. We stayed at some very upscaled exclusive luxuriage place, particularly this place you know in Eos, at a private location out in the island of Eos called Kololo, very very artistic technology water art. It was just a work of creation, a work that was just illuminating in just a mind blowing You got to have imagination to do this kind. I mean, they built this thing right inside of a rock, this hotel. But it was luxurious, It was just so beautiful. We had a wonderful time and I just you know, imagination is very important. You can have all the money in the world, but if you ain't got no imagination, you ain't gonna do nothing with it. Whoever put together this, this luxurious resort and on the island of Eos called color Lou, which means let me tell you, hold on, hold on klor Lou collor lol means create the life you want to fall in love with. That's what he came up with the name kind of low create the life you want to fall in love with. And all over this result was love and hope and you know, and live and smile and laugh and enjoy. It was all about man taping in to your soul to bring about illumination and elevation and creativity and joy and happiness. You know, yet, we know life is a grind. We know that as a lot of things going on in life. But you are how you think, and if you want to create a life that you could fall in love with, you don't got to do it. And that hotel was saying, hey, stop complaining and go out here and create the life that you want to live that you can fall in love with. And I loved that. So the guy, the owner, I didn't get a chance to meet him, and he was gonna come. They was gonna do some kind of ceremony the following day, but I didn't get a chance. We had to go. We had to go. We had to take a helicopter back, and I was extraordinary. A helicopter over the islands of the GNC, the Mediterranean, going across all those islands to get back the afters and catch the airplane the only way. We had to get on a helicopter and ride for two hundred miles over the oceans and over the islands. That was an electric, beautiful experience. You know, I don't have it like that, but hey, you got to create the life that you want to fall in love with. Right, So sometimes, man, dude, you gotta do to have those kind of experiences. And that's I said to myself, Hey, one a lifetime probably experience. I might not never go back to Greece, But on this day and in this time, we hit one out and we're gonna have a good time, and we're gonna take a helicapter ride, a plane ride, We're going to the World Championship, were standing at Luxe Your's resources. Live the life that you want to fall in love with. And that's how we ended at kler Low. We ended it at Eos, Greece, and then flew back to America, so that it was, you know, my point here, create the life that you want to fall in love with. Now this seventy eighth episode because as soon as I got back, the you know, Malik Books is in full swing. We got events that are set up and we just hosted two events on Saturday that I'm featuring on this episode seventy eight. That's right. The first book signing that took place Saturday, September ninth, was host of that Brooks running store out in Venice, and it was running wild block. So it started out with a five k run followed by a conversation that books signing by Alicia Desser. She created a movement called Running Wild Black, and so I got a chance to talk to her. I got a chance to get some tid bitch, some inform, you know, interview her a little bit here for the podcast from my audience, and I got it, you know. But it was just a very beautiful day starting out with a five k run, charging a body with running, and then followed by some nutrition and then a comsation and then a book signing. So I'm featuring that conversation and that on this episode Running Wild Black because basically she's using running as therapy or for you know, trauma that people's experiencing in their life, and that's kind of the book is very you know, I didn't really go in depth about the book, but anyway, it was moving on because she's gonna tell you a little bit about why why she created that. Now. The other thing, uh other book signing that we had took place at Maliti Books in the Westfield, Covid City ball that's our market. You gotta come down. It's a very beautiful bookstore where we hosted April show. She created a movement and she has a brand called Afro Unicorns. So we had a book signing with her. We are Afro Unicorns, the name of the book, and that was a very festive, free flowing, electric, extraordinary engaging book signing at Malague Books in the Westfield, Cover City. So I'm going to feature a conversation I got a chance to have with her throughout the book signing experience, and so stay tuned. This episode is for seventy eight and I got two interviews and from the events that I hosted on Saturday, September ninethe but I also have on this episode as a customer appreciation a segment that she somebody walked up the lady named Cat and that's somebody, and she just started telling me about the impact and thanking me and the impact that Malik Books made from the time her kids were just babies, and so that was wonderful because it's not always I meet a customer that knew me back from nineteen ninety or what have you. But I do want to end my segment is before we go in to the other segments part of that episode. Market Calendars September thirtieth three o'clock. Guess who's coming to Malite Books or should I say the neighborhood. Cedric the entertainer wrote a book. His debut book is called Flipping Box Cards, and I'm going to turn up the volume because he's coming to Malik Books. He's doing a book signing on September thirtieth at three pm. So you got urs repeat, so go to Milikbooks dot com. RS repeat, I need to see you. I need you all to come out in full fourth. We need to show the love because he's coming to the neighborhood, coming to Malik Books. So RS repeat Milikbooks dot Com. Now enjoy the rest of the episode. Thank you. I listen to sir. You know I have a podcast, LAK's Bookshelf, and I just wanted to ask you a few questions regarding book running while Black. But you know you mentioned earlier to me about the growing changes that has taken place in New York, particularly Central Park where a lot of people don't know the true history of Central Park. We see it on TV, we see it, you know, on movies. We see that. You know, it's a park that a famous part. Things have happened over the years in the park. But here's the thing. You got a little history about how Central Park was in the past. But also I want to thank you for hosting this five K run walk and books signing here at Brooks Running Store out here in Venice Beach, California. We started the day off with a five clave run followed bout this wonderful conversation when you just dropping gyms And I'm so grateful that I get opportunity to share on these jams with my podcast, Leak's Bookshelf. So can you share your thoughts? Well, give us the little background about the history of Central Park.
Speaker 5: So Central Park before Central Park was Central Park.
Speaker 6: Right in the center of it was Seneca.
Speaker 5: Village, which is a village that was inhabited by free blacks, and it was a thriving community right there were you know, people were not living like now when we think mostly because of like Hollywood and the way history is taught whenever we think of black people historically, we think of black people only as being enslaved or being in really poor conditions. But it was this beautiful, thriving community in the middle of Central Park, well in Seneca Village, and what happened was in the nineteenth century, all of these projects around, like widening streets and creating the city that we know today were instituted and as as a result of imminent domain, they just came in and bulldozed Seneca Village and moved people out right, And I forget the architect of Central Park?
Speaker 7: Is it Lomstead?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 7: Who said that?
Speaker 6: Who confirmed?
Speaker 1: I just couldn't see your face?
Speaker 4: Also, right, So he's.
Speaker 5: Regarded as like this genius and like hero and like I mean, yes, clearly he was a visionary, but at what expense?
Speaker 7: Right, at who's expense?
Speaker 5: And obviously we know this entire country was indigenous, so all of this lad was like taken from people. But then the fact that even when you have a thriving community with an opportunity for generations to thrive, at any point it could be taken from So yeah, now, if you got Central Park, I believe it's like in the seventies or in the eighties, there are delineations. There's like signs that tell you Seneca Village and it shows you what the plot looked like, and some of where the reconstructions of what the buildings would have looked like.
Speaker 1: I like to know what was your inspiration for creating a movement called Running Wild Black? So far it to a book?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's almost like I that's only our last question.
Speaker 5: So my son was born in July of twenty nineteen, and of course, like going out my whole life as a black person, like I had seen and heard all these terrible things that happened to black people, all of the injustices, all the racism.
Speaker 6: I remember Rodney King.
Speaker 5: I remember watching that on TV and like just being so stunned by how brutal it was and how it kept being replayed. And then even at a young age, the way that Rodney King was treated was as if he was like dufis right and.
Speaker 6: Can we all just get along?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 5: That became like just I think it was like mocked on SNL and all kinds of places. Right, So this black man who was like beaten within inches of his life then was ridiculed and ended up becoming.
Speaker 6: An addict and killing himself.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: So anyway, so I of course always knew the history of racism in this country, but then having a black son, I was like, oh crap, Like was that irresponsible to like have a child in this country where they're gonna kill him. Tanahasekoats has this beautiful sentence quote in between the World and Me, and he says that black people love their children with a certain kind of fervor because they come into.
Speaker 6: Our lives endangered.
Speaker 5: Right, So then we were all of course at home, and we were seeing what was going on. First it was so he was born in July, and that whole summer there were like school shootings.
Speaker 6: And I was like, oh my god, my son is never going.
Speaker 5: To school, right, Like, well, it wasn't even school shootings and shootings everywhere, and then I had really bad postpartum depression and anxiety, and finally I was feeling like comfortable enough to get out of my house and then boom the pandemic HIDS and I.
Speaker 7: Was like, why me.
Speaker 5: Know, so that we were obviously shut back in our homes and then seeing all of these murders just with nothing else going on in our lives. A mott Arbery, Breonna Taylor, Tony McDade, right, George Floyd.
Speaker 7: I just started to really.
Speaker 5: Never want to leave my house again, right, And I started to think about, like, wow, running saved my life. But it's also this thing that comes with this additional set of risks that somebody like a mot arbery could be running and be hunted down. And so I wrote this first. It was an op ed that talked about the experience of being a black person loving running, saving my life, but it also being something that scares me to death and other black people and marginalized people in general, right, Like a lot of trans folks also were like, thank you for putting this into words, like, yes, this is how we live our life in a mix of fear and you know, joy, And so many white people were like I never thought of this, which I always make fun of white people because the fact that they live in the same world world but know nothing about all the world works or how anybody else's life works other.
Speaker 6: Than their own.
Speaker 5: And so I thought to myself, I got to write a book, like I have to this note, Like there's lots of running books.
Speaker 6: Out there, there's probably less.
Speaker 5: Than a dozen written by black people, and there's no book that tells this complex story. I wanted people to know that I love running. It's everything to me. It gave me my partner. My son's name is Quori means to run Asian Creole, right, So running is everything to me. But it also is something that is anything that comes out of this world comes out built with white supremacy in it, with misogyny, with you know, transphobia, like all of our cultural structures and ways of being are part of that. And so I wanted to expose that and challenge the running community to think about it, challenge the running industry, which is ninety plus percent white people, to think about like, how is it How is that a coincidence that white people just live in the best neighborhoods, have the best jobs, get access to the best education.
Speaker 6: Do we really think that white people are entirely better?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 6: Like why aren't we challenging those ideas?
Speaker 1: So that was the inspiration.
Speaker 5: I'm also clearly somebody who speaks their minds. Excuse the hell out of my mom. But I was like, if not me, then who.
Speaker 6: So here we are, Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 9: Well, thank your Freddy, Welcome, welcome, welcome everybody to Malite Books.
Speaker 7: I want to appreciate y'all coming out on this Saturday. I know that y'all to be and wealth.
Speaker 1: From jacking here and April Shower.
Speaker 9: You know, I always gotta do my too. Maunity commercials before you start every days. You know, if you're not following Releague books, and if you're not following April, pull out your phones and let's go.
Speaker 7: Let's go Instagram. You know it, social media, it's important. So you want to follow them.
Speaker 9: Elite books and you want to follow for god A Showers. Okay, now I know y'all taking photos.
Speaker 7: I know y'all taking me. So y'all got to tag his boat in the boat. Okay, can we do that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 7: So let me just can't tell you about my elite books. I know where.
Speaker 9: Obviously I can burn anything black owns right basing the community. Been doing this since nineteen ninety.
Speaker 7: I do it with a passion. I love what I do.
Speaker 9: In fact, you know, I like to say that with the total African American experience or pride, George, when we get voice to the forts, let's see you.
Speaker 7: So, books like these are very unique. Fortunately for acial.
Speaker 2: You know, she's.
Speaker 7: Branded her idea and she's the CEO. Oh, I believe we.
Speaker 9: Are UNI and we are our pro union county. So she created a brand and she gonna tell you more about that. Okay, I'm gonna tell you I believe books today.
Speaker 7: So We got two locations.
Speaker 9: Obviously you here as our marquee location right here in Westfield Coma Seemo aka Fox Heals Mall.
Speaker 7: But we also located in the ball with Hille Prince Yard.
Speaker 9: But that's where we started at over there in the Lemur far Babo Hills print Shaw area.
Speaker 7: Been serving the community since nineteen ninety. That's why I fee doing my community work.
Speaker 9: You know, we can complain about a lot of things, but that's a question you've always got to ask yourself, is what if you can you do to make a difference, You see what I'm saying. And so I like to use books as a way to change the conversation because reputations representation, you see.
Speaker 1: So we got two brands that here addation. If body is trying to do something to change the compensations, a thin unconsciousness of why who and what we are and why we are important? All right? The way we look, the way we.
Speaker 9: Did it matters because if they didn't, they wouldn't try to write rock history. Okay, So how we look, how we walk, I swag, the way we live our culture.
Speaker 7: It matters, all right.
Speaker 9: And so books is very important because children are one hundred percent of our future. So I love them when we have children officers coming through Milite books and representing not just a foot, but she's representing a movement.
Speaker 1: So give it up for ankle shots and I'm player. She won't say, you know what, see cool, and I'm gonna let see you do it. That's like I can represent a lae better than anybody. I'm gonna let April shouts representing her brand. We are I pro you and the Bruget fight. We are ready, We are ready.
Speaker 8: Thank you all for coming out, you guys here because you know about the brand after Unicorn. I created this brand to have normalize black beauty, to give our black and brown people a Unicorn that represents them so that they could love to say that they're in and embrace.
Speaker 6: The crowns on their heads.
Speaker 8: I wanted to create a lifestyle brand, but that's exactly what we've done, from the shirts to the backpack, the water bottles, toes to the Balazs books.
Speaker 1: Yeah yea.
Speaker 8: So listenership is the part of the experience, as Malik was saying after Nicorn, It's all about the experience, and we're building an experience you guys to actually.
Speaker 6: Live in of Pronia and visit of Pronia. This is the starting point.
Speaker 8: Next is the episodic TV series dex Is, the cinematic motion picture, the amusement.
Speaker 6: The hotels. All that will come after Crags brand in the world.
Speaker 8: Darty Black Women have a license, brand, character, and major retail.
Speaker 6: But I will not be the last because the whole objective is to find others and bring them on this.
Speaker 7: Journey with me.
Speaker 6: So thank you for coming and let's sign some books.
Speaker 1: Apulshaw Wills, thank you for joining me on Malice's Bookshelf podcast. I wanted to ask you this simple question. How did you get started in getting all these deals in branding your empire? I should say Afro unicorns. Just tell us a little bit about this journey.
Speaker 8: This is what I didn't have a public I didn't have a big agent. I didn't have a publishing deal or anything. I literally just said, okay, but this is what I want, and I always get what I want and what I say I'm going to have, so I put.
Speaker 1: It out there.
Speaker 8: She connected me to give me a literary agent. I didn't know what a literary agent was, but she gave me this literary agent. But she told me at that time that they're gonna take. Maybe how long they to respond to me.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 8: It was like three weeks, five weeks to respond to me, right, and I'm like, okay, send the email.
Speaker 6: I responded in two hours. I got that agent. I signed with Karen in December. I used to tell Karen.
Speaker 8: In January, I'm going to have a publishing deal this quarter April.
Speaker 4: Publishing is so slow.
Speaker 8: Just understand, especially if you're not trying to self publish. If you want to selflage, you can put it dog now. But getting the deal it's very hard. It's very difficult. It's gonna take a long time. I write down in my journal the three big things that I want to happen in my life every day. It's all about the ten things that I'm grateful for. So big thing was I won't have a publishing deal by the end of this quarter. I kept reminding Ca what I was writing down every day. Meanwhile, April was at March. At the end of March, I didn't have I didn't sign the deal yet, but they were there first week in April. Not only did I have the one publishing deal, I had three four publishing deals. I have random House. Andrew mcmill was part of Shivan Simon Schuster. I have Benden and then I have Rear Link YEP, and Simon Schuster came to the table and said, we want to do full color graphic novels.
Speaker 6: Well, she told you you couldn't what that lady told me, I couldn't have. They came out the gate and said.
Speaker 8: This is what we believe we wanted to do, and then people were like, you can't have two publishing houses, especially two kid publishing houses because of the rights.
Speaker 6: One came in and said I wanted to do.
Speaker 8: Young young readers and the other one said I want to do middle grade.
Speaker 6: So we was working.
Speaker 8: And so when I found out that random house who wanted me they owned a Little Golden Book. I says, what about the little Golden Book? I want a little Golden Book. It said, okay, done doing it.
Speaker 6: So I always tell.
Speaker 8: People your job is to have the vision of what you want the end results to be, and it's not to worry about the how Like you put it out there in the universe and you say this is what I want, and then the universe will trend, will will conspire for your good, and it will bring all those pieces together, true story I have.
Speaker 6: We're working on a big thing right now. And we had a call the other week and we were running through the whole script.
Speaker 8: I was running through the cast everybody and Leonka at the end of my call, she wanted to be a Debbie Downer.
Speaker 6: And she said, well, are they Have you contacted the girls to see if they're available?
Speaker 1: Yes, I.
Speaker 6: I said, we need to make sure these girls are available.
Speaker 8: Because I have.
Speaker 6: I have written the whole script for them, for specific for specific girls that are.
Speaker 8: If I'm not worried about the if I say, when it was supposed to have happened, it's not my job. Now it might be her job to worry about the how, but it's not my job to worry about the how. I put it out there what I want to happen. And then everybody got to move to make your happen.
Speaker 6: Yes, and that's it. Dam When she said that if the messages out.
Speaker 1: Like think it to speak it and then work towards you work towards.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and see yourself already there. You've got to see yourself.
Speaker 1: See yourself at the finish line. Ye, see the final product.
Speaker 8: Yes, she sees the final product, and if she tells me I'm struggling with this because I can't see the end.
Speaker 6: Then I said, okay, well let's take a step back from it.
Speaker 8: I trust her intuition, I trust her instinct, but she also trusts mine, so I'll be like, I'm not sure if and she's like I was singing the same thing, Okay, let's do or I'm like we should really do and she's like I was just so I'm like, people, I'm confirmation to her. The team is confirmation to her. Or it's like she's like, I don't know, and we all trust her.
Speaker 4: Intuition because she she got exist for the house that we.
Speaker 6: Live in the area that I live in, was it manifested?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's her story too.
Speaker 6: That's a whole story that I live in rolland Hills. We was looking at Rolling Hills houses before we had the Walmart.
Speaker 8: Deal, before we knew he was going to retail here, before any of it. But I said, this is where we're gonna live, and this kid over here, he.
Speaker 6: Like taps into what I'm saying.
Speaker 8: And I hadn't spoken in a while, like I hadn't talked about Rolling Hills, and then he was just bombie steadily.
Speaker 6: He was just like one day he was just like I was looking at houses too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: He was like, you said we was moving to Rolling Hills and we're still here in downtown Long Beach.
Speaker 6: What's happening? And I'm like, I remember.
Speaker 8: I got so frustrated with him because he was I was headed out, like I was going to my first meeting, I think in Vinerville or something, and he was hitting me up and hitting me up about houses, and I was like.
Speaker 6: You know where he sent me.
Speaker 1: I was like, you forget.
Speaker 6: I'm just gonna apply for it right now.
Speaker 1: And I did it while I was in.
Speaker 6: The airport before I came home. They were like, it's yours.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 1: It was just before the Walmart deal, he said.
Speaker 6: So, I think we had just entered. It wasn't in stores yet. We weren't even in stores. And I asked the lady that gave me the house.
Speaker 4: I asked her like she was telling me.
Speaker 8: About all all the neighbors. It's like this guy is a doctor, and this guy is this and that. And I said, okay, well me I on a brand.
Speaker 4: She's like, oh go, we know all about you. We went to Google.
Speaker 1: We saw who you are.
Speaker 8: Like didn't ask me for nothing else, nothing, nothing, but it's like everything that I see, like visualizing. I kept this when I had a different picture on my phone it was me and him and my son at one house. But then I just kept this photo as my screen saver. So I looked at it every day and I'm like, this is the area, and he'll do it. He be like, you want to get out and take a picture. Like if I say I want something, he'd be like, you want to take a picture.
Speaker 6: And whatever you said you was go to.
Speaker 1: And I did, and I did fruit snacks.
Speaker 6: I got free snacks coming to Walbert manifesto fru snacks.
Speaker 1: I walked up and down the grocery and I saw that I.
Speaker 8: Didn't have There was no fruit snacks that looked like me. And I said, I'm on for snacks. Just like that.
Speaker 1: I got on the phone.
Speaker 8: I called Walmart and said, who's over fruit snacks? They told me he was over fruit snacks. I sent that person an email. That person wrote me back it was like it was March. It's like, we don't look at fruit snacks until the fall.
Speaker 4: I was like, okay, well you know remember me. The fall came.
Speaker 6: And I got a line review email. That is when they want to they give you.
Speaker 8: Opportunity to basically audition to show your products. I didn't even have a partner for fruit snacks, and my line review was in four weeks.
Speaker 6: I said, I wanted to do it, but I didn't.
Speaker 1: I don't make for snacks to the right person at the right time.
Speaker 6: And so we found a partner with the four weeks we had.
Speaker 8: I had a virtual meeting with Walmart four weeks later, and that man told me, I've never done this before ever in my career, but I feel so strongly about you and this brand.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna guarantee at least three thousand doors going in. And I know I'm not supposed to even do that on a call like this, but I'm gonna do it for you.
Speaker 2: And there we are.
Speaker 6: Well, Hey, amen, even Walt was nen tested by this kid.
Speaker 1: Is good. Because I was frustrated.
Speaker 8: I was frustrated with the deal that went bad with Amazon, and we had all these plush that were just delivered to the house and I'm like, I was gonna send them through Amazon, but that wasn't working.
Speaker 6: So I'm like, what to do with these plush? That was so frustrated, and Jesse came in. He was like, well, what about Walmart?
Speaker 8: And because of my ignorance of being fearful in that moment and not wanting my son to see that I didn't have it all together, I was like, Walmart, I'm not putting my stuff in Walmart.
Speaker 6: It's because I didn't even know, like how you just don't get to Walmart? How do you get to Walmart? So he was like, okay, but I think Walmart would be good. He went in his room.
Speaker 4: We shared the same email account, and they.
Speaker 6: Was like thirty minutes later he opened up his door. He looked at me.
Speaker 4: He was like, you see that.
Speaker 8: We got an email that said Walmart X for Unicorn collaboration and the.
Speaker 4: Email said and the email said would you.
Speaker 6: Consor doing this collaboration party supply? Wow, And that's how the whole thing kicked off.
Speaker 1: Oh man, that's what you've been on. An amazing journey and a roller coaster. Yeah, you have to share that with the world. You I mean, you have a lot of content and everything that you're saying and you've developed and the tangible things along with it. But the story bout the backstory getting to that is incredible and it's inspirational, and it's gonna lift up, you know, the next generation because it's you know, the children are one hundred percent of our future. And you know with these children books and the brand that you had, that's who you folks and on and so that's gonna get that's gonna lift up the next generation of change because that's where the real change comes. Why you are young for sure, and so your story along with the tangible isews is gonna inspire for generations to come. I want to thank you for visiting Eleegue Books, hosting this wonderful book signing and dropping the gems that I could share with my audience on the Malik's bookshelf. Best of Love would be definitely one of your supporters that I definitely want't be encouraging my customers to support the Iyefro you on the corn movement and all that you do. During the Aprilshowers book signing, a customer walked with me while I was videotaping the event live on Instagram. She walked up to me and she thanked me and appreciated Malik Books for all the years of work in seminars and workshop and all that we've done over these decades, and I just was greatly appreciated. So I wanted to share that customer appreciation because that was natural, it was organic, and it just came from the heart.
Speaker 6: I love telling you thank you for what you do. I was working in La living out the.
Speaker 11: Eighties like you, and between Star's bookstore, these bookstores of music bring my foods like Randol there somewhere welse d.
Speaker 5: That's why grandams bring children and your own ms brods like adults to bookstore.
Speaker 1: So that's how wonderful you are. And you're going back to the eighties and nineties.
Speaker 4: You said, I'm telling you how patful you.
Speaker 6: Are, and we've been helping us just being and doings.
Speaker 1: Man, just come in remind me how just how long?
Speaker 4: But you see what I mean.
Speaker 5: It looks see now people what they just go everywhere think they see in this stuff everywhere.
Speaker 12: I'm talking about when I had to find you, Yes, you were there like the boss, like you can find these plans, say these I look Claude Anderson all.
Speaker 4: The kind of can only bind. That's That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 8: What I want.
Speaker 1: And now they've grown. Your kids came in to leeting. They was baby.
Speaker 2: Then they've grown the door they fold Friday was that young now they that's so that's something less.
Speaker 5: Since I just wanted Sometimes you don't know their inpact and what they were doing.
Speaker 4: Because you set up something a ground.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I like, you know one of the things that I say that when I talk to people and do interviews, you know, I refer to myself as a book active. Then I use books not bullets to change the trajectory of made avail to uplift and elevate.
Speaker 4: You made them available and made.
Speaker 1: Available, made a place with themself and when they wasn't popular, when nobody was buying the black books, but you were what we were learning. And yes, where do I go get that information? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 1: Wish your name my sister, Kathy, Kathy. Yeah, the kitchen.
Speaker 4: I'm all suddenly excepting Crenshaw.
Speaker 8: That's the other thing, because I'm seven serving, I have a healthy neighborhood market because I'm here.
Speaker 2: Right, I passed seventy seventh All the time I dropped by that when I'm going up Krisshaw because it's on the liquors on the corner.
Speaker 6: So Cappies is tough than the corner.
Speaker 1: In the corner, it's in a shop.
Speaker 12: Sid no what it is.
Speaker 1: Is this a school building?
Speaker 4: Seafood, maland liquor.
Speaker 13: When you're coming up, got these kitchens right here because they take up two thirds of the building.
Speaker 1: I'm one third in. Okay, you got your card, right, I have my card.
Speaker 13: Okay, you know, but it's just it's just to say if you want healthy juices this movie. I even understand and appreciate your business more because you know, when I was working, that was one thing when I starting up business.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're going the firsthand. Now you learn the first hand about you know, one thing open is nothing getting being to come into your business. That's marketing.
Speaker 4: Hills. I'm just telling you.
Speaker 5: I'm just like respectful, I'm just like on so many levels happened.
Speaker 1: To you know, And I appreciate that acknowledgement. I really do. I don't always you know, someone come in.
Speaker 2: Especially going way back way back when their children was four five years old. You know that that, you know, the timing couldn't be more perfect, And I appreciate you sharing that.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna eat on that.
Speaker 2: It's fuel for something. You know, when you come in and tell me that that to me is few for my spirit, for my passion. So let me know that I'm where I'm supposed to be. I'm doing what I'm supposed to.
Speaker 1: Do, and I'm helping in a way that I feel the impact that I'm trying to do, Okay, especially Yeah, Yeah, you know I started out with the conscious books, the hard to find books, and I still you know, that's why I love for the self published office because that's where it really started. We didn't have we ain't have all. They wasn't publishing these kind of books. They wasn't publishing these kind of books. But you know, it's because the value of the black dollar and that we need to recycle that money, recycle that dollar.
Speaker 4: We're learning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we learn it. We learn it into steps and you know it might be baby steps, might take a while, but we're trying to get to that generation. Yeah, thank you, thank you, thank you, Katherine. Appreciate that I have to drop out your place.
Speaker 13: I don't believe to do the market and I'm trying to push the nutrition kind of likely how you put bulls.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because our lifestyle is killing us. That's our lifestyle is killing us.
Speaker 2: That's you know, those are the choices of killings, you know, with don because of our own hand doing things to ourselves and violating our temple and therefore killing. I said, before we have to die, Like I told this guy that came in. You know, I said, you telling me, I said, he said, God in control. I said, but he also gave you a part of the control. Yes, your choices also dictate how long you live. So I said, if you wasn't spoken, let's say, you know, you die from overdose. Put that person and still being if they didn't wasn't wasn't doing those kind of drugs that doctor, I said. I'm like, come on, I said, if they wasn't doing those drugs, they would be still here with me.
Speaker 10: So you know, we can do, you know, a quick suicide, or we can do a slow suicide. But either way, you're gonna suffer the constant when you put poison in your body, your body eventually is gonna it's going to affect that body, and your tilt is going to start to change much more rapidly, and your mobility and your longevity.
Speaker 3: It's because of the lifestyle choices. We gotta choose better choices to absolutely fame. Health is wealth and wealth is health.
Speaker 1: Thank you all right, thank you, thank you, Kathy, thank you, thank you. Thanks for listening to Malik's Bookshelf, where topics on the shelf are books, culture, and community. Be sure to subscribe and leave me a review. Check out my Instagram at Malak Books. See you next time.