Speaker 1: Also media. Hey everybody, Robert Evans here, and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode, So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's going to be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions.
Speaker 2: Welcome to it could happen here. I'm Garrison Davis. I'm joined by Mia Wong. It's a sort of a new week, so let's start preparing for what these next few months are going to look like. In the wake of Trump's election victory last week, so one thing I was thinking about after the results kind of rolled in and seeing everyone's reactions online, you have a you know, a mix of people going full doomer, some people trying to get hopped up on opium, some people on copium right, just trying to like find any psychological way to survive and from kind of the way I like to survive is just through information. So this episode, we're gonna get into how we see life for trans people under a second Trump term based on both what he's done in the past what he's promised to do in the future. And I know, in like the days after the election, like LGBTQ, like crisis hotlines all saw a massive spike in people calling in, to the point where some people were even unable to reach someone. And like I understand, this is a very scary moment in time. And as much as it might not be fun to hear about how things are all gonna get worse, there's also some misconceptions, and I think there's also a degree of power in actually being able to reasonably ascertain what things could look like instead of just kind of feeling it out and just going purely on vibes. So to kind of start, I guess I'll mention some things that Trump did in his first term that then got undone by Biden, which will probably just end up being reinstated. We don't know these for sure, but that's like a decent guess. So one of the first things Trump did when he got into office is he rolled back in Obama era memo directing schools to protect trans students from discrimination.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that, by the way, discrimination protection is a constant theme in this episode, it's going to get a lot worse.
Speaker 2: Trump later went on to ban trans people from serving in the military. He also went after trans prisoners, making it so that trans people usually would need to be housed in prisons and jails according to their assigned sex at birth, which is of course a very dangerous situation for people incarcerated, specifically trans women.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think there is good reason to expect that treatment there is going to get worse. There's been you know, we'll get into this more later in the episode, but there's been a real focus on incarcerated trans people getting health care. Yeah, and this is one of the things that's kind of ambiguous as to how Trump could go about trying to stop these people from getting healthcare. So the thing about providing healthcare as people who have been incarcerated is that they have to do it. Is it is something that is required by the Constitution of the United States. The Eighth Amendment holds that there is a ban on cruel unusual punishment, and withholding medical care is so obviously a form of cruel unusual punishment that even staggeringly right wing Supreme courts have been like, no, you actually have to give people medical care in prison. So this is one that's going to be a little bit difficult for him to do. I don't know, he might find some way to do it. This is one of the ones where there's a real potential for it to get worse, and we simply do not know enough about what legal strategy is going to be here to say for sure.
Speaker 2: But it's also worth mentioning, like people have had to fight for access to healthcare in prison, Like it's not something that comes easily, Like people have had to sue to make sure that they get the health care that they are legally required to receive. And we can just assume that that process will probably be slightly more difficult under a second Trump term like it was under a first Chuck term. Then it may kind of currently be now. So that's kind of one shift in how things might be slightly more challenging.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I want to also mention so that analysis and a lot of the analysis, the policy analysis that I'm going to be doing going forward, is heavily indebted to trans policy expert Corinn Green, who we've had on the show a couple of times before. Amazingly, she was one of the people who ended up working on compliance for that lawsuit where Kamala Harris tried to keep transprisoners from getting healthcare, and she came in and had to like ensure that the state of California was doing it, and they weren't. So that's something that has been fought for, and that's something I mean, the trans community is small enough that that is the thing that has specifically been fought for by people who I consulted to make this episode. So, yeah, these these rights have been dearly one and it's going to be very hard to protect them. If I'm doing something where there's there's something about policy implementation, assume that I talked to Krinn about this and that's why it's accurate.
Speaker 4: And while I'm.
Speaker 3: Doing this, I want to plug a couple of the projects that she works on. But there's something you can do very immediately, right now, before we get into all of the terrible stuff that's going to happen, which is you can donate to the Trans Income Project, which is the project that supports trans people and transsex workers in particular, which is a lot of trans people and supports them by just giving them direct cash transfers. They use some of their work too, but yeah, and direct cash transfers are one of the most effective ways that you can help trans people. And if you give money to this organization, they'll be links in the chat you can help do this. So let's get into how things are going to get worse. Unfortunately, trud administration, Congress, and state legislators have an enormous amount of power to make everything worse. We're mostly going to be focusing on what Trump and Congress can do.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 4: We'll get into the legislator's a bit at the end.
Speaker 3: So there are a lot of levers of state power and sort of policy techniques that Trump can pull here to make things worse. We're going to go roughly from easiest to hardest to pull off. So the first lever is federal funding. Probably the easiest place that this lever can get pulled is in the education system. Trump can unfortunately fairly easily implement what amounts to a don't say trans ban on a federal level by threatening to withhold federal funding for any school that doesn't mandate things like misgendering and dead nighbing students and banned And this is something he's explicitly talked about. Is like banning anyone in classes, any teachers from talking about traditioning at all. He's also threatened to have teachers who talk to students about being trands like investigated by the Department of Justice.
Speaker 4: We'll get more into Department just investigations in a bit.
Speaker 3: He's also used an explicit threat, the same threat of cutting state funding to stop schools some letting kids use the right bathroom in the locker room. It's also possible he will do that through Title nine. But there's a lot of ways that he can do this very easily that are probably not going to be able to be stopped. And this is going to get extremely bad, very quickly. Another sort of avenue that he has is I guess what you'd call like the High Amendment for trans people. So for people who don't know what the High Amendment is, the High Amendment is a writer that bans federal spending on abortion.
Speaker 4: It's been like modified.
Speaker 3: It's not like the one percent band that he used to be because now there's like exceptions for rape and incests and stuff life of their parents too. But it is a very very effective Republican tool. It's actually also Joe Biden helped implement that that's been used to limit access to abortion, and we already have seen the start of these kind of things even under Biden. There was a version of this of a kind of high amendment for trans healthcare that was an attempt to get the DoD to not be able to spend money on trans healthcare. That's already a provision that's been tacked onto one of the most recent spending bills that went through because Joe Manchin like defected and joined the Republicans to get it onto one of the spending omnibuses, and that was again just for the Department of Defense. We are very likely to see versions of these attached to every single spending bill that explicitly say that government funding cannot be used for trans health care. It will definitely be used to do to say you can't use it for trans healthcare for minors. It is possible this will be expanded to adults.
Speaker 4: We don't know.
Speaker 3: It depends how far there's sort of anti trans I don't know the derangement goes, but that is a real danger. And this can also be expanded to refusing to allow Medicare and Medicaid to pay for anything at a clinic that does trans healthcare, even if the money isn't funding the healthcare. That's also possible. That would be absolutely catastrophic for the medical system. Even just a government band that prevents things like Medicare and Medicaid and like government health care from covering transition in the first place is a disaster. But if they go further and prevent clinics who provide trans health care from taking Medicare and Medicaid, that's bad enough that I think that is in terms of what is the thing we most need to be worried about right now, I think that's the worst possible thing that can happen very quickly, because.
Speaker 2: It could basically pressure medical clinics into refusing to offer any kind of gender affirming care because it would threaten their just base ability to operate as a medical clinic taking Medicare, Medicaid, et cetera.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is the thing I talked about a bit in our Agenda forty seven episode on this. But this is this effectually creates like Sophie's choice for these clinics, because it's either you treat trans people who have private insurance, right, or you can treat like people who have who are a medicare medicaid. So it's like, okay, either either you let trans people get fucked or you let like every poor person or old person in the US like eat shit. So there aren't good options here for that.
Speaker 2: How do we think something like this would be implemented? Like is this an executive order or does this have to go through Congress?
Speaker 3: So that's the other part about this that's very bad. The way that this is being done is these things are attaches to what are called writers to spending bills. So any spending bill Republicans put in front of the House, they will have this like provision in it, right, And the really big problem for us is that spending bills usually get passed now out of this thing called Senate reconciliation. And the thing about Senate reconciliation is that you can't fill a buster them, so these can just get rammed through really really quickly, and there's not going to be enough opposition in the House to stop it either. So I mean, some of this stuff probably could be done with executive orders, but it's quite possible if you won't even need that because it can just be rammed through in spending bills.
Speaker 4: Which is a little bit harder to undo. From my understanding.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, executive orders can be overturned by the next guy, whereas getting these provisions out is going to take a long time. Yeah, you know, this is another issue that we have. The map for the Democrats retaking the Senate is terrible in twenty twenty six and it's bad in twenty twenty eight two. So I still don't think this is being recorded Friday. I don't think we still actually know what their majority in the Senate's going to be.
Speaker 4: But it's a lot.
Speaker 3: And also we know that Joe Manchin is willing to vote for stuff like this because he's done it already, So this is probably coming quickly. It basically depends on how good their policy people are, which who knows. But yeah, this is not going to be difficult for them to implement and it is going to be extremely damaging.
Speaker 2: Well, that was a lot. Let's take a little bit of a break and will we come back, take another look into what life could be like under a second Trump term.
Speaker 4: We are back.
Speaker 3: So the threat to trans people does not only come from Congress and the President. One of the things that's almost certainly going to happen very soon is there is currently a case about a trans healthcare band from Miners and Tennessee in front of the Supreme Court. It's called Scrmetti versus us. We are almost certainly going to lose this. Not losing this requires a bunch of extremely unlikely things happening, and this is very, very bad. What Scrimmetti versus Us is probably going to cost us is trans people as a group being protected by the fourteenth Amendment. So the fourteenth Amendment is supposed to provide everyone equal protection under the law. The way this has been interpreted is that if you're passing a law that directly targets a group, there are certain levels of scrutiny that have to be applied to it to see whether or not it's discriminatory and can be allowed to proceed. What's probably going to happen here is that trans people aren't going to be held as protected at all, which means that the fourteenth Amendment will not protect us from things that are unbelievably obviously discriminatory, like healthcare bands for youth, which is again literally the same procedures that are happening for trans children are done to sis children. All the time and it's fine. Yeah, so this is very obviously discrimination. We're probably going to lose it because the Supreme Court is full of a bunch of the worst people in the entire world. It is technically possible that Gorstch defects and drags someone else over and we get a thing that says we have intermediate scrutiny. That would be the best win we could possibly get on this. It's extremely it's unlikely. We're probably going to lose it. And this is also going to overturn the landmark case Bostock versus Clayton County, which is the one that rules that you can't discriminate against trans people based on gener identity.
Speaker 4: Specifically for like employers as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for employees. Is specifically for employers. So what we could very well be about to lose. And again, this is another thing that's very high likelihood because this case is they're ready in front of the Supreme Court, and the Supreme Court hates us. We could be about to lose employment discrimination protections now. To be fair, and I think most trans people who are listening to the show know this. I don't know how many SIS people understand this, but the level of trans employment discrimination in the workplace is unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this isn't really enforced at all. Uh, yeah, it's pretty bad.
Speaker 3: It is something that right now is technically possible to you, and you're not allowed to just straight up say it. But you know, like there is a reason that the unemployment rate for trans people is like three times as high. No, it's actually I think's yeah, I think it's about three times as high as the rate for SIS people. Right, we don't have great data. There's some data from the Translant Student Survey from twenty twenty two, but the full report isn't out yet. But what I will say is that the trans level of unemployment unemployment right now in the US is very low. The level of unemployment for trans people is nineteen thirty six, great depression levels. And this is before we lose these these protections. It is also worth noting this will not overturn like state level of protections, So if you're in a state that like has specifically banned it, you will have some more recourse. But we're losing fourteenth MEDIT protections on.
Speaker 2: A federal level would basically allow explicit employment discrimination. Yeah, if someone's trans.
Speaker 3: It's possible that case goes like marginally better for us and that doesn't happen, But it's hard to see how that would happen. The lawyers I talked to you will say this is this is not a legal opinion, but they seem to think that this is how this would go, and the policy people seem to think going the same way. There's some other things that can happen. Trump has been promising We're going to get federal investigations into clinics that provide gender affirming care, also into hospitals. You know, there's gonna be enormous legal harassment. This has already been happening on a sort of lower level, but from sort of individual lawsuits and state attorney generals. But this is going to be happening with the full backing of the Department of Justice. You can look at like what Texas has been doing the past four years. Yeah, with them investigating not as clinics, but also like parents of trans kids. Yeah, parents, like individual health care providers. He was also pledging to investigate like the companies that make hormones, So that's bad. There's also the Department of Justice has been making some incredibly half assed attempts to try to go after some of the healthcare bands.
Speaker 4: That's all going to stop. They're just going to give all that up.
Speaker 3: There's also a bunch of bills that could be passed depending on the Democrats' willingness to filibuster them. So Trump has called for a ban of trans people like playing sports that correspond with their gender, and that may well pass because the Democrats are cowards and the Republicans are going to have a large majority in the Senate. Trump has also pushed for a ban on gender firming care for minors, including Harts homo replacement therapy, which is like one of the main ways you transition and puberty blockers. That one is less likely to make it through the Senate, but it also again depends on how cowardly the Democrats are and how much they decide to cave. And this is the moment that there is another thing that you can do and you should start doing this right now, which is this is the moment right now to start pressuring your congress person about this, like start calling them, start pressuring them, and start making sure that they don't fully sort of turn on trans rights. This is just something that you can concretely do right now, because these people need to understand that there are consequences for turning on trans people, because if there aren't consequences, they are going to do it now. Trump has also called for a ban on recognizing trans people at a federal level on like all identification documents things like that also would outlaw non binary markings on passports and stuff. That would also be really bad. That's also something that probably requires a law. And that's again and everything. Call your conresspeople, like pressure them now, start doing it now, do not wait until he's actually in office.
Speaker 2: And like, all of these issues are things that public opinion has been shifting on greatly the past like two years. Yeah, these things used to be much more kind of seen as like, yeah, this like makes sense, this is like a humane and reasonable effort to include a group of discriminated people. And now we see in a growing number a majority of people pull on this issue do not support these measures. They don't support having the ability to have your gender marker match your gener identity. They don't support your ability to participate in public life. And that is the result of an intentional misinformation campaign and essentially like a hate crime campaign and a hate speech campaign that has been going on for the past like four years because Republicans knew that they already lost the battle on like regular gay people, so they moved on to the next subjugated class. And that's something we've talked about for a while. And this is like something that is shifting. So you have to actually verbally express to to your representatives that this is something that you actually do care about. Otherwise they will look at these like general polls and be like, oh, I guess this isn't popular anymore, and shift and cave on it. They need to know that their constituents actually do care about these things if we want these things to not get passed through Congress.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's also worth mentioning that a lot of this people just don't know anything about about trans people because we're like one percent of the population right now. Part of the reason the Republican campaign is working is that people are susceptible to being told things about trans people and believing them. But that also works for us. Yeah, right, it goes both ways. Part of what's been going on is that, like we haven't had the kind of giant advocacy push outside of some trans people. But we have no money, we have no resources, and we need there to actually be large, widespread and vocal public support because otherwise all of the stuff that's happening here is going to get even worse. And you know the word when we could get very well, the worst case scenario, things which are full bands for adults. That's the thing that they could pass through Congress, but right now they don't have the support for it. Yeah, However, Comma ascarising is going to get to there are signs that the Democratic Party is deciding to throw us under the bus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not as steadfast on this issue then what we would probably prefer.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And on the state level, I guess the important thing for the state level is that once we lose Fourteenth Amendment protections, it's going to be so much harder for there to be legal challenges to any of this. And this means we're going to see a proliferation of these state level bands on healthcare, even sort of marching ahead of where the federal government is.
Speaker 2: Let's have our last break and when we come back. We will close the episode by discussing Trump's focus on trans issues during his campaign, as well as things that you can start doing like right now to get ready and prepare for these next four years.
Speaker 4: All right, we are back.
Speaker 2: During the last few months of Trump's campaign, his team shifted away from the key issues of the economy and immigration in their national election ad efforts, and specifically honed in on trans issues as a wedge against Kamala Harris and the Democrats in general, the infamous Kamala Is for They Them ad being the prime example of this. According to a PBS report, from October seventh to October twentieth, Trump's campaign and pro Trump groups spent an estimated thirty nine million dollars on anti trans ads, and Trump ended up spending more money on these ads than on housing, immigration, and the economy combined. This was his main focus in his final ad push, a specific after the September debate. A new report from journalist Casey Parks, using data from Ad Impact, shows that Republicans spent nearly two hundred and fifteen million dollars on anti trans ads this election cycle. And this figure does not include cable or streaming ads. This is just network TV. And these anti trans ads weren't just focused on the presidential election. Other Republicans in various Senate races picked up on the success of these anti trans ads and used them in Ohio, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. Now, initially some thought that maybe this would be a repeat of twenty twenty two, Maybe this extra focus on this small group of the population wouldn't lead to kind of electoral successes, pointing to how a similar strategy failed during the twenty twenty two midterms. But then election day came and we saw that there was a degree of success or at least these did not hurt them in any substantial way, and Republicans won many of the Senate races on anti trans campaign messages. I'm going to quote from an article in The New York Times called it Trump and the Republicans bet big on anti trans ads across the country. Quote the kamala is for they them add was rated as one of his campaigns more effective in September in some Democratic testing. According to results reviewed by The Times, Republican strategists said the focus on transunter women and girls in sports had been particularly effective with a key group of voters the party had hemorrhaged support from in recent years, college educated women. One of the things you see in the focus groups is that the moms get really visibly angry on this issue, said Jim McLaughlin, a Republican polster who works for mister Trump and other Republican campaigns. Quote it's a fairness issue. They don't want their daughters to lose a scholarship and they don't want them to get hurt unquote. The enthusiasm for this issue kind of lines up with what me, Sophie, and Roberts saw at the RNC, where anti trans statements consistently got the loudest applause. Though some state level Democrats Representative Steth Moulton of Massachusetts and Tom Soulsey of New York, as well as some other DNZ advisors, have jumped onto the blame game, citing trans issues as if not the reason, then a reason Democrats just completely fumble this election, claiming that the Democratic Party is far to the left on trans issues and the average American. But largely the Dems were not out campaigning for trans people like Loud and Proud the selection cycle, oh trans issues were intentionally pushed off stage at the DNC, and the Harris campaign tried their hardest to sidestep this issue, giving vague non answers and whether trans people should be able to receive healthcare by just stating that her administration would quote unquote follow the law and invoking States rights type framing. And I see this as just a massive failure to confront an issue that Republicans have like slingshot into the spotlight, and it shows a failure to do things because it's like the right thing to do, not just necessarily for some like electoral gain.
Speaker 4: Well even even on a strategic level.
Speaker 3: Right, we saw this with border policy too, right exactly, Democrats adopted their Republican's sport policy and then they lost exactly. And it's like, yeah, if you just agree or refuse to contest them on their core issues, then that's what people are going to believe because people have a tendency to believe what their elites are telling them. You can't defeat these people's ideology by just agreeing with it or start stepping out of the way of it.
Speaker 4: That just lets it spread.
Speaker 2: And I think this is going to be proven to be like the biggest mistake Democrats made this election cycle, like you can't just cede territory to the right based on a massive disinformation campaign which is exactly what the Democrats did on immigration and crime, and they showed a willingness to do that on trans rights. Now, even if some of these people that Democrats included claim to not like hate trans people individually, that they have allowed questions around access to bathrooms, sports and government fund and healthcare to be used as a wedge against trans rights as a whole, and the ability for trans people to be able to exist in public life to close. I think we should have just a brief discussion on what people can do specifically during these next seventy five days and even in the months after, like what people can do to prepare for some of the worst aspects of this, specifically on the healthcare front. Now, we did a series of episodes a few years ago on DIYHRT. There are both pharmaceutical and home brewed options for homones that can be ordered online. Now since that episode, home brewed distribution networks have spread throughout the United States. There's probably one already in whatever city is closest to you. Now, access to those networks does require a degree of, like in person community, and I know that can be challenging. You can certainly do organizing online on discord. You can certainly find trans people on discord that can help you learn where pharmaceutical grade estrogen can be ordered online. But that type of online organizing will only get more dangerous under a Trump term, especially if the legal status of these hormones change. So I will always emphasize the importance of in person community. And it might just like learning if there's a trans band in the city you're in, going to some shows, learning where trans people go, Where trans people gather, is their community picnics?
Speaker 4: Is their book fares? Is their zine fares? Like?
Speaker 2: Is there like even gaming conventions? Right, just places that there might be a number of trans people gathered and talk to them about being trans, talk to them about the issues that you're facing. It might take a few months to gain trust and become friends, but that's just how friendships work anyway, and that can be challenging. And there may not be something like this in a city super close to you, which is why online connections are useful, and sometimes it might require a little bit of travel. Now, what we can do, at least right now is stockpile things in case things get harder to maintain or produce. There's multiple forms of these hormones that can be stored, and I do believe that there will be some form of home brewed option that will most likely continue to exist even if prescribed hormones get restricted. And part of why I emphasize kind of doing this in person as well, especially if you're a minor, that will just get more dangerous to do under a second Trump term. I will point people to the website DIYHRT dot wiki. It's currently the best information source on dosing testing, how to find supplies and options for ordering hormones now, because changing legal paperwork on the federal or state level often takes a while. If that's something that you want to do, now is the time to start. There's still seventy days until Trump takes office and some of these changes could start being put into effect. You should absolutely apply for a passport now. Depending on many variables, it may be advantageous to have your legal name and gender marker match whatever you more easily pass as, rather than your gender identity. Now I understand why this is less than ideal and if you think that this might just inhibit your transition progress and push you further back into the closet, especially if the option of changing your gender marker on federal documents just like goes away during the next four years, then people should just go ahead and get that stuff changed asap. But it's something to reflect on and consider. Lastly, I want to mention something about personal safety. Over the course of the past week, I've heard from friends around the country experiencing a spike in anti queer and misogynistic violence. Chuds, frat boys, and just asshole men have been way more willing to just to openly harass queer people out in public. Some of this I think is just Trump supporters quote unquote celebrating the election results. But once Trump takes office, I expect this type of harassment to start slowly increasing as truds feel like they can get away with more just open misogyny, homophobia, racism, etc. I know a lot of people have been talking about or posting about buying firearms, and firearms is one of the last things you should buy in a panic. This is a very careful and calculated choice for you to make about your own personal safety, your own mental health, your own willingness to carry and train with the gun. This is its own topic, but I do recommend buying and carrying pepper jel for basically all queer people and women. It's a great self defense tool. It spreads less than pepper spray, so you're going to be less likely to just spray yourself. Saber is a good brand. Buy it for yourself, buy it for your friends. Uh, Mia, do you have anything else you want to add?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, two things. One, people have been asking for book Macrumentation, so we're giving them to you.
Speaker 4: We're only given to you to you at the end of the episodes. You got to stay around.
Speaker 3: And I think something that's good to read in this moment on trans issues is Julius Serrano's book Whipping Girl. I've had Julius Runno on the show before. She is one of the most important, I mean, honestly like feminist theorists of the last of this century. And there's a new addition, Whipping Girl, that's come out recently, and it is it is one of the fundamental sort of texts to understand the experience to transfend people in this country and why things have gotten the way that they've gotten. So yeah, go go read Whipping Girl. It's spectacular. And then I want to plug one more thing that you can give money to. So I mean again, another very effective way for CIS people to support trans people is give them money, because all of us are unbelievably broke like all of the time. Another place you can give money to is the Trans Justice Funding Project. We'll have that in this too. When they base, they give out grants to other just like transgroups who are doing organizing or doing other kinds of sort of support work, mutual land, et cetera, et cetera. So that's money that goes directly to trans people.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then obviously, as we've said, this is the forces people part of the episode. After our after our four trans people part, go call your congress people, Go pressure them, Go show up to their offices and make it extremely that it is unacceptable to write off trans people and that they need to be willing to successfully stop these writers and successfully do whatever they can to chant out the works to make sure that the Republicans cannot pass bills that will harm us even more than the things that they're already going to do with.
Speaker 1: Hello everyone, and welcome back to it could happen here. I'm Robert Evans, and you know, along with all of their correspondents, I'm looking forward to what we can expect from the Trump administration, which is a broad and far reaching question given the ambitions that Trump and the others who I think will be involved in this new administration have already expressed. And the elevator pitch theme of today's episode is what's going to happen in Gaza once Trump is president again? Will things get better or worse? Obviously the expectation is worse. I think that's where certainly the safe money goes if you're putting money on this. But the short answer to that question is no, one fully knows now. The first thing that I did when trying to prepare for this episode was tracked down as many articles as I could that included interviews with Gazin's about their expectations, and those expectations were largely negative, but a little more mixed than you might expect. A Reuter's reporter interviewed Abu Osama, living in Conunis in the southern Gaza strip. He called Trump's election a quote new catastrophe in the history of the Palestinian people, adding despite the destruction, death and displacement that we have witnessed, what is coming will be more difficult. It will be politically devastating. This essentially agrees with what a Palistinian from Batel lahis in the Northern Gaza Strip, Ahmed Jerad told Al Jazeera quote. Trump and Netanyahu are an evil alliance against the Palestinians, and our fate will be very difficult, not only in the fateful issues, but also in our daily concerns. This is a sad day for Palestinians. Trump will endorse Netnah who's free hand regarding the possibility of the return of settlements to the Gaza Strip and even the displacement of large numbers of Palestinians outside it. We hope to return to the north, and now all of our hopes have been shattered, and unfortunately Jerad's fears here have been immediately proven well founded. On November sixth, as the rest of the world reeled from Trump's victory, IDF Brigadier General Itzig Kohen told Israeli reporters there is no intention of allowing the residents of the Northern Gaza Strip to return to their homes. Humanitarian aid would only be allowed to enter through the south. His justification was that there are no more civilians in the north reporting from the Guardian interviewed several international humanitarian law experts, and the members of that likely dying field described Israeli actions here as war crimes. The forcible transfer of civilian populations and the use of food as a weapon are supposed to be banned. Despite this, we can safely assume that there will be no serious consequences as a result of any of this. Now, the timing of this announcement was predominant, and it is not unreasonable to suggest that Israel might not have been as bold as they're currently being if Harris had won Another Gosen seventy year old doctor Zakia Hilal told Al Jazeera it is true that American administrations do not differ in supporting Israel, but some are more severe and more intense than others, like Trump. You can find numerous gosins expressing feelings along these lines if you read long enough, But you will also find a number who feel like what's coming won't be worse, or at least won't be very different from what they've already endured. Jehad Malaka, a researcher at the Palestinian Planning Center, told Al Jazeera he does not expect Trump's administration to be wildly different from Biden's In this regard, Trump uses rough tools and Biden and the Democrats resort to soft tools, but the politics.
Speaker 4: Are the same.
Speaker 1: Biden did not make any decision in favor of the Palestinians and was unable to achieve a ceasefire. He did not change the reality of the decisions of his predecessor Trump at all. The positions of the two administrations regarding Israel are the same and identical, and they put its interests above all other considerations. You can also find some Gosins who see a sliver of hope in Trump's new administration. Reuter spoke with the owner of a grocery store in Gaza, Khaled Desuso, who told their reporter, I think Donald Trump, if he wins, he promised the Muslim people in America to stop the war in Gaza. We hope that happens, and it's not necessarily absurd to hope that there may be some positive effects here. Trump has said many horrible things about Palestinians, obviously, several weeks before the election, he had a phone call with net Nyahoo that may have been a viihilation of the Logan Act, although laws don't really matter anymore. Here's howslate dot Com summarized what happened in that call. According to Trump, the Israeli leaders said he disregarded President Joe Biden's warning to keep troops out of Rafa in southern Gaza, a decision that resulted in the killing of Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar in a shootout in the area. Trump also said nat Nyahu asked him for advice on how to respond to Iran's missile attack on Israel, to which Trump said he responded, do whatever you have to do. Now, that's a dire sign, and it is impossible to imagine that a new Trump regime won't restart the sale in shipment of specific munitions that Biden banned for export to Israel this July. Biden halted the shipment of two thousand pound bombs to the IDF because quote, they cannot be used in Gaza or any populated area without causing great human tragedy and damage. Now, the fact that munitions like this will very likely be used is hideous, and I think it's extremely unlikely that we do not see an immediate rise in the death toll. But at the same time, Israel's extant acts have caused great human tragedy and damage. The munitions they have have already been responsible for calamitous death and destruction on a fairly wide scale. So where's the cause for any optimism on this at all? It comes from Trump's own self interest. As Khalide Desuso noted, Trump ran promising to end wars. This means he does have some vested interest, even if only in his own ego, in forcing NETANYAHUO to draw things to a close in short order. And there is indeed reporting that Trump has told net Nyahu to wrap things up by January so that he can take office with an end to the conflict and ideally use that as a way to kind of bolster his early popularity and gain some political capital for the other sweeping changes he wants to make.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: The fact that Trump is pushing net Nyahu on ending things in January doesn't mean a sudden, peaceful ceasefire. For one thing, nothing is going to happen in the months between then and now to reduce the level of bloodshed, and almost every likely theoretical ends with Israel massively escalating violence and using new, more destructive weapons before bringing an end to their campaign. But it does mean that Trump might be able to pressure bb to bring things to an end. There's a good article on this in the BBC. No guarantees Trump will give net Yahoo all he wants now. In that piece, Mid East correspondent Lucy Williamson writes, Donald Trump's first term in office was exemplary as far as Israel is concerned. Said Michael Oran, a former Israeli ambassador to the United States, The hope is that he'll revisit that. We have to be very clear sighted about who Donald Trump is and what he stands for. Firstly, he said, the former president doesn't like wars, seeing them as expensive. Trump has urged Israel to finish the war in Gaza quickly. He's also not a big fan of israel settlements in the occupied West Bank, has set Ambassador Oran, and has opposed the wishes of some Israeli leaders to annex parts of it. Both of these policies could put him in conflict with far right parties in Netanyahu's current governing coalition, who have threatened to bring down the government if the Prime Minister pursues policies they reject. Michael Orrin believes net Nyaho will need to take a different approach with the incoming president. If Donald Trump comes to office in January and says, Okay, you have a week to finish the war, net Yahoo is going to have to respect that. And we'll continue talking about what this means. But first, here's samants. So it is possible that we will see a quick end to the violence in January, and perhaps a quicker one than we would have seen under Harris. That's the best case scenario and not necessarily the likeliest one, and I should re emphasize here that best case scenario still means that we will probably see a massive escalation in violence as the IDF seeks to force more people out of northern Gaza and in the conflict, with a large slice of Gaza permanently wrenched from Palestinian control and handed over to Israeli settlers, there is no version of what comes next that is not a calamity to the Palestinian people. Now, the signs from within the Israeli government on what a new Trump administration means for them are certainly bullish, you could say, and reading these tea leaves provides very little fuel for optimism. It Mar ben Vere, the Minister of National Security, posted yes with several less's and an emoji of a flexed bicep in a post on social media. When the first good return started coming in for Trump on the day of the election itself, and a sign of confidence in the coming results, bib netanyahuo fired his Defense minister Jove Gallant, who had been his primary point of contact with the Biden administration, and it's harder to imagine a much more direct sign of what he wants to do than that.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: I've struggled to present the sweep of possible results of this, and it bears reiterating that the bulk of predictions from Gazans who are plugged into the politics of the region are incredibly negative. Ahmed Fayad, an independent researcher in Israeli affairs who currently resides in central Gaza, told Al Jazeera that he felt Trump's influence would be entirely negative, adding that Trump was a quote more dominating figure than Biden, and his influence would allow net Nyahu to quote conquer Gaza quote amidst the weakened Palestinian front and absence of any Arab unity and solidarity, the whole Palestinian cause faces its worst threat yet. Now what does bear watching is the degree to which Biebe might face threats from his own right flank. Netniahu himself is almost certainly on the side of doing what will please his patron Trump all the more, and that would be forcing a quick, violent end to the fighting and taking Northern Gaza as the spoils of war. But this might bring him into conflict with radicals on his own side, who can't be placated by anything but what they would see as total victory. In the event net Nyahu feels pushed, it is not impossible that he will wind up in conflict with Trump. This has happened before, as BB's sense of self preservation led him to take actions that enraged Trump. The best example of this took place in the immediate aftermath of the twenty twenty election. If you want to think back to those happier days, b B was again the first world leader to call and offer Biden congratulations on his victory, as he was with Trump. This is a habit for the man, who, among other things, is an expert at toadying for favor with US leaders. Trump was livid, and he spoke out about this, telling Israeli journalist Barak Ravid that he believed that he had saved Israel from destruction, and in response, net Nyahoo had stabbed him in the back. I'm to quote now from an article in the BBC six Mister Trump accused mister net Yahoo of congratulating too quickly mister Trump's successor Joe Biden on winning the twenty twenty US election. Mister Trump disputed the election result, though his claims were never upheld. The first person who congratulated Joe Biden was Bebe, the man that I did more for than any other person I dealt with. Bibe could have stayed quiet. He has made a terrible mistake. He was very early, mister Trump said, like earlier than most. I haven't spoken to him since.
Speaker 4: Fuck him.
Speaker 1: I actually don't know that he said fuck The actual text of the article says expletive him. But I'm assuming he said fuck him. I think that's probably a fair assumption for me to make. Now, some evidence does suggest that Trump and Bebe don't personally get along, as that quote I just read implies, certainly not to the degree that net Yahou and Biden once did once. I should say this may hinge partly on the fact that Trump really only believes in himself and his own benefit, whereas Joe Biden was a strong and committed bl in Israel and was willing to take actions against his own political self interest in furtherance of that belief. And we've all seen where those actions got him. Just last December, Trump attacked Netnyahoo at an early campaign rally in New York, saying bb had quote let us down by pulling Israeli support for the operation that killed Iranian General Cossam Solomani at the last minute. He also criticized the Israeli leader for not being prepared for Hermas's October seventh attack. Now, I want to be clear here that these divisions between both men are blisteringly unlikely to mean anything that approaches relief for the Palestinian people, at least in the near term. The immediate and probably long term future of Gaza is much bleaker today than it was a few weeks ago. The Guardian recently published an article interviewing former CIA director and Defense Secretary Leon Panetta. He predicted Trump would give Bibe a blank check for aggression which might invite the possibility of open war with Iran. Now that's the kind of thing that can lead one to panic, especially when you assume a guy like Panetta is privy to a lot of inside information. We may not be, but I'm actually not really sure that he is. I don't see any evidence from this article that Panetta is speaking from direct personal knowledge about extant plans to carry out an attack. Instead, he quoted Trump's description of the call that Trump had had with BB before the election, telling net, yahou do whatever you have to do. So Leon may just be working from the same information the rest of us have and coming to a somewhat different conclusion. I'm not as sure as he is about an imminent attack on Iran because Trump campaigned heavily on ending wars, and while I don't credit Trump is a particularly honest man, I do think he sees his personal benefit right now in being able to portray himself as a peacemaker, in part because he has so much domestically he wants to do, and so much else internationally he wants to do. Right, Expending a bunch of political capital d with the kinds of protests and unrest and even anger from his base that a war with Iran would mean, especially once it gets bogged down in the kind of violence that would come with that, He may not and likely doesn't see that as being of benefit to him. Now, that doesn't mean it will never happen. It doesn't mean his calculus won't change. I do foresee some situations in which Trump might decide that his personal benefit is in there being a wider ground conflict with Iran that US forces get drawn into. You know, we'll talk a little bit about some of the possibilities around this, and we're getting outside of the realm of kind of established fact at this point, but I do think it's worth considering some of this. But first consider these ads. So, when we talk about the possibility of a ground conflict with Iran starting between Israel and ira but almost inevitably drawing in more US forces, the known unknowns and unknown knowns in this situation are pretty staggering. If I let myself analyze every possibility, my mind can go to some dark places. Trump sees war with Iran as a negative, now, I'm quite sure, But how would he feel about it in the wake of, say, a Musk centered plan to in the Federal Reserve and tank the dollar in the wake of the changes that all of his immigration policies would make on the price of food, the Pression era levels of inflation and unemployment returning to the United States, and the attendant social unrest that that would cause. If Americans find themselves on the verge of food rights, perhaps Trump would gamble on war being the best distraction he could manage. It's certainly not impossible. Now, I don't know how useful it is to bury myself in theoreticals and probabilities. The known threats are dire enough, and they demand full time awareness in order to attempt to counter and endure. So instead of spiraling, I'm going to leave you today with the words of another Gazan, Mohammed R.
Speaker 5: Mausch.
Speaker 1: He's a journalist who wrote an article for MSNBC right after the election titled My family and I Survived the War in Gaza. We know Trump's America won't save us, and here's Mohammed for us. The election of Donald Trump isn't just a blip on the political radar or a shift in foreign policy. It's a challenge to sustain existence. While the world seems intent on erasing us. It's about surviving seventy seven years under occupation and over a year of ongoing genocide, the very genocide I barely survived last December, when my family and I, including my elderly parents and three year old son, were buried under the rubble of what was once our home after it was struck by an Israeli fired US missile. The date December seventh, twenty twenty three. Our bones were crushed between layers of concrete and twisted metal as we spent hours in the dark, buried together and praying to be pulled out in one piece. The trauma of that night, in both its physical and emotional toll, of my son's small, fragile hand and clinging to mind, comes back to me now as Trump prepares to take power once more. I've seen how American political leader's toy with the idea of change. How they dress up their campaigns with grand ideas about peace and justice, yet each president brushes off our reality. Barack Obama promised hope and change we could believe in, yet we got more bombs. Joe Biden offered a different approach, pledging and yielding support for Israel, leaving US to live through even more horror. Vice President Kamala Harris's niceties included no concrete promises to protect Palestinians, but she did pledge to continue financial support for Israel, and Trump's blundness as he promises to come back swinging reminds us not to hold out.
Speaker 4: Hope for change.
Speaker 1: So, you know, not much optimism here, but I do really recommend reading that article that MSNBC published. You know, it's bleak, but important, especially given the fact that you know, we may be soon entering a world where it would be harder for people like Muhammad to express their feelings and their truth to an audience. I don't think it's unlikely that a clamp down is coming on some of these things. It's hard to say how extensive it will be, but there's a threat that Israel and their backers see, and the way that public sympathy has built so quickly for Gaza in a way that wasn't present with a lot of previous stages of violence between Israel and Gaza. Right now, this is the result of a lot of videos spreading on social media. It's the result on voices from Gaza getting out and getting to people in a way they really hadn't before. And so one thing that does worry me greatly when I think about what's going to happen in Gaza under President Trump is not just what's going to happen to the people living there right now, but what's going to happen to their ability to tell their story to get information out to the rest of us. That is very much an open question at this moment, but it's certainly one that should be on your lips, and it's one that we will be investigating here at Cool Zone as long as we're able to continue doing that until next time. I'm Robert Evans. We'll be back tomorrow and every other day reporting on you know the world.
Speaker 3: Welcome to It Happened Here, a podcast that's about trade policy.
Speaker 4: Now I'm your host, Bia Wong.
Speaker 3: This is amazingly going to be the fun one of all of these episodes.
Speaker 4: It's about working tariffs. So it's gonna be a long week.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, That was the voice of the singular Garrison Davis, the one the only.
Speaker 2: Yes, Hello, I'm excited to hear about tariffs. It's tariff here and it could happen here. One of my favorite favorite topics I guess now, all.
Speaker 4: Right, Garash, we're putting you on the spot. What is a tariff? It's basically googling tariff.
Speaker 2: No, A tariff is when Trump says China's bad, so he makes China pay extra money to sell their goods to Americans, and luckily China pays for all of it, and the American consumer gets off with a boosting economy.
Speaker 4: That's at least what I've heard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So unfortunately for every one I don't know, I guess, I guess there's some acceleration this who are probably really excited about this most certainly. The way this actually works is, okay, so the government sets up a tariff, and that means if anyone is bringing a good into the US, they have to pay the tariff on it, and that money goes to the government. So, okay, There's been a long history of tariffs in the US. This is a huge domestic policy think, particularly in the eighteen hundreds.
Speaker 4: Be fucking boring.
Speaker 3: The incredibly short version of it is that the thing about tariffs is that, especially like tariffs on a specific sector, is that they're good for you manufacturing that thing kind of mostly, and they're bad for anyone trying to buy that good because it's now more expensive. So Trump's plan, and we're going to get into a bit more detail about this, because there's parts of Trump's tariff plan that everyone seems to have forgotten about for some reason that I don't know why they've forgotten about. But the basic plan is to impose something like a ten to twenty percent tariff on all goods that enter the US from anywhere. There's specifically one for Mexico, but the numbers on what the Mexico tariff is changes every time he opens his mouth. Sometimes it's like twenty five percent. There's one where it's like two hundred and fifty percent. Of course, two interchangeable percentages. Yeah, and then for China, it's supposed to be a tariff of somewhere between sixty sixty percent is the most commonly sided number. But he's also set one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: Tariff once again and basically the same thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so you know, part of what we, unfortunately the rest of us who live in the normal world, have to do is figure out what is actually going to happen if we get, for example, twenty percent tariffs on all goods entering the US. And a sixty percent tariff on goods from China. So the first thing you need to understand. I think most people kind of get this now. But the thing about a tariff is that you pay for it. So the way that it works in general is that this is just an additional cost for the company that's doing it, that's doing the like moving the good around, right, and so they are almost always going to just pass that cost directly on to you. Obviously, sometimes we've talked about pricing the way that pricing works a lot on this show. Companies tend not to want to raise prices, largely because of their effects on consumer happiness and brand loyalty and stuff like that. So sometimes people will just eat shit on it. But if you're talking about a sixty percent tariff, like you, the sixty percent tariff is going to be paid for by you.
Speaker 2: So that means that anytime we buy something that's either from Mexico or China or any of the other countries, that this will be applied to the easiest way for these for these companies to get around the tariff is just to pass off the cost of the consumer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's actually worse than that because and This is something I don't think people really understand when you think about global trade, right people tend to think about trade as something that happens between countries, and this is something that was an old you know dreamlike the anti globalization movement.
Speaker 4: People sort of understood this.
Speaker 3: And kind of don't now. Trade doesn't actually really happen between countries. Most trade is one company, an international company, moving a resource from one country to another. Right So, like trade is fucking Amazon moving something from a warehouse in one country to warehouse in a second country.
Speaker 4: Right now.
Speaker 3: I've seen a lot of people, and this ranges from like very very serious sort of you know, news sources and economists trying to sort of just directly model what the price increases are going to be. I've seen people be like, oh, your shirts are going to cost sixty percent more, or video games will stop existing because they're too expensive, and who gives a shit? Why are we even trying to do sectoral modeling of the impacts of this. If you try to impose a sixty to one hundred percent tariff on goods from China and a twenty percent tariff on all goes into the country, the economy will collapse. I don't know why everyone is pretending that this won't fucking happen. We're going to get into it a second. I guess the reason why people are pretending this is happening because the way they're doing the modeling kind of assumes that it won't, which is baffling, incomprehensible nonsense.
Speaker 2: Well, and that's especially amusing because the seemingly biggest issue this year around politics has been inflation, which has impacted every country around the globe. The US is actually whether that decently well, although there's been a catastrophic failure in communicating that and listening to the actual complaints from people on how they're still struggling with rising inflation. But still a big reason why Trump was elected is because he simply is not Joe Bideneh, and he's not from the Biden Harris administration, and there's this perception that he will be able to fix the economy, he will be able to get around inflation lower prices, when seemingly his main economic proposal will lead to what's probably going to be an economic collapse if it happens in the brutality of which he proposes.
Speaker 3: And there's another element of this right when I say that the likely result of Trump actually trying to implement his tariff policy is a global economic collapse. There's another part of this that everyone seems to have forgotten. And I don't know why they've forgotten this. I guess it's because nobody actually reads any of the things that Trump puts out on his website.
Speaker 2: Which is true. No one actually reads that stuff. It's nuts, especially his own supporters. Yeah, a majority of his own supporters do not pay attention to like Daily News.
Speaker 3: Yes, and now I remember this because I did an episode about these tariffs like six months ago. And one of the things about this, he has a thing called Agenda forty seven, right, which is his agenda for what he's going to do when he takes.
Speaker 4: Power, which no one has cared about.
Speaker 2: And now everyone is going through and posting policy proposals from like fucking two years ago with the headline breaking news Trump announces a new plan. They're like, no, he has.
Speaker 4: This, This a our old plans.
Speaker 2: This stuff is like two years old. He's been openly talking about all that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Frages, And one of the important parts of this, I'm just gonna read this quote because it is a part of this has been ignored by every single fucking analysis I've seen from like fucking the Center for American Progress, who obviously we're gonna screw this up to like Stamford's labs, Like everyone who's been writing about this has just ignored this part, which is quote as one of his top economic priorities. President Trump will stop the flow of American jobs overseas by passing the Trump Reciprocal Trade Act. Under the landmark legislation, if any foreign country imposes a tariff on American made goods that is higher than the tariff imposed by the US, President Trump will have the authority to impose a reciprocal tariff on that country's goods. Okay, So what this would do again is that any country that has a tariff already or imposes a tariff, And this is important if we get into a trade war where countries start imposing tariffs on each other in retaliation for their other terrorists, which is what happens when he did this trade war, which in like twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen. That means that we're also going to impose a tariff, which means that the tariff rates don't stay at ten to twenty percent. They cyclically spiral upwards.
Speaker 2: That's just like an escalating series of terrorifts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the thing is right, the policy process that they have on his page are like, well, okay, we're gonna do this, do like a presidential act, right, But the thing is the president actually has really, really, under a number of different acts, has extremely wide discretionary authority to set tariffs as long as he can basically sort of like cobble together some kind of bullshit excuse for it. And at that point you're relying on the Supreme Court to stop literally anything that Trump does, like don't give a shit.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe someone will like go up to like can Clarence Thomas and go like, hey, if we do this like importing new like windshield wipers for your RV is going to cost ten million dollars more or whatever, But like there's no shot of this stuff getting stuff. And the thing is right, the reciprocal tariff stuff. He could just do this through his existing teriff authority. He doesn't Actually you need to pass something through Congress. W should actually be I think tricky for him, but he doesn't need.
Speaker 2: To do you know what we need to do right now, Thomia just badly, badly put to a bunch of companies that are going to be absolutely fucking viscerated if this goes through.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 2: Donald Trump stands for anti capitalist action. He's going to destroy free trade. So enjoy these ads when you still can. Okay, we are back Mia. Let's hear how Trump is going to perfect the capitalist economic system by a series of escalating tariffs that will destroy the economy and in doing so, but about the opportunity for Marxist to size power and change the world economic system.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I'm going to read another quote from that same agenda forty seven thing quote. For example, food items like cereals, your other preparatory goods are tariffed at thirty two point nine percent by India and nineteen point five percent by China, and only three point one percent by the US. India applies a tariff of twenty five point three percent on transportation equipment, while the US only terrorists goes at two point nine percent. Now, those exact numbers are debatable, but it doesn't matter because these these are going to be vibes based ones based on how pissed off Trump is at a country.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as Trump is usually a vibes based guy. Yeah, especially when it comes to the economy, especially when it comes to like these numbers he's pulling out like between sixty to one hundred percent. He doesn't know what any of those numbers means. He's just thinking of a number and saying it out loud.
Speaker 3: And the thing about all of these things, right, even just the base twenty percent, or let's let's go to the lowest numbers he's talked about, which is a ten percent tariff on all goods and a sixty percent tariff on Chinese goods. Right, that in and of itself blows a smoking crater in the world economy. And none of the assessments that you will read are talking about this. One of the things that they will mention that is true, but they're not, you know, getting to the importance of is that this affects stuff that's made in the US. Because the thing about things that are made in the US is that they're made from components that are from elsewhere, because that's how international supply chains work.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, even though we have through tariffs and moved all manufacturing of Toyota into the United states. You're saying that still some of the materials are not all solely made him produced within the country, and it actually requires unfeign trade.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and part of the problem I think of, like, Okay, so if you logically think out the conclusions of what that means.
Speaker 2: Right, first mistake Abia that you're trying to solve this problem through logic.
Speaker 3: Well, but here's the thing, right, Obviously Trump is not going to think through this, right, But I kind of expect people who are like writing about this for a living to do mildly better than this.
Speaker 2: And possibly some of the people that he like hires onto his cabinet and team.
Speaker 6: Maybe, but we'll.
Speaker 3: Say, no, I'm not talking about like his critics. Oh sure, sure, one of the numbers will see all the time. The Center for American Progress has this line of how the terrofts will function his attacks that cost the America consume for like seventeen hundred dollars a year.
Speaker 2: Right, which was the line that Kamala used pretty often. Yeah, framing as tariffs as like a sales tax.
Speaker 4: This is fucking horseshit.
Speaker 3: The only way you can think that the net effect of this would just be a seventeen hundred dollars tax is if you don't understand how the economy works at all. Right, So I went through and read this, and the way that they model it is just by like they find the like net dollar value of imported goods and then apply a tax to it, and then try to figure out like how much of those goods that the average person would buy in a year, and then increase the price.
Speaker 4: But and this is the thing that's very important.
Speaker 3: At the end of the analysis, right right at the very end, there's a little section where they say that they assumed this would have no other effects on the economy. This is unbelievably fucking stupid. Can I emphasize enough? Can you explain why that doesn't make any sense?
Speaker 7: So?
Speaker 3: Okay, So here's the thing. Right, prices go up. Now people can buy less things. What does that do to the economy, Well, it slows its growth rate. Right, Companies start to go out of business. And we're gonna get me into more of the ways that this plays out in a second. Right, But a bunch of people in a bunch of places fucking lose their jobs because suddenly the reduction and consumer demand means that there's a fucking reduction necessary production, and this has cyclical effects throughout the entire economy as more and more people fucking lose their jobs. And also, you know, the thing about those people who lose their jobs is that that also fucking reduces demand because those people are now even less able to afford the stuff that's been increased by inflation prices, and this this spirals through the entire world economy.
Speaker 4: In order to.
Speaker 3: Understand what exactly this is going to do, I think we need to understand why, you know, because like if Kamala Harris, I don't know if it makes any difference in the election, but Kamala Harris walks of the stage and says this is going to cost you seventeen hundred dollars. She does not walk on the stage and say this is going to cause an economic collapse, right, And I think the reason that happened is because we've gotten into this place where nobody fucking understands how the economy works at all, in a way that's even worse than it was even in like the twenty tens. Like in the twenty tens, I think people sort of had a vague understanding the thing that was happening to the economy was uberization, whatever you call it, was the expansion of gigwork. Right, there was sort of an understanding and a focus on the very sort of low level parts of the economy, like what are you a poor person doing for your job?
Speaker 4: Right? How does how does your income work?
Speaker 3: And not purely on these sort of like high finance or in the case in the case of what's been happening here, everyone has been unbelievably completely focused on like the Chips Act and like state led industrialization and all that stuff is fucking bullshit. It's it basically hasn't done anything yet, it's not going to do anything for like a decade, and it's not mostly what's going on in the economy. I've been holding my tongue on this for years, but the people who have been writing about the economy don't understand how the fuck it works because they've been completely myopically obsessed with the idea that we're in this new era of state capitalism and no like the actual thing that's been happening in the economy. And I think if you are like a person who buys stuff, you probably understand this. But for some reason this has never made it to like economists or like people who fucking write about the economy for a lot. Thing is consumer to manufacturer sales. So this is stuff like Temu, This is stuff like shean who and I mean invented. It's a strong word, but they're one of the first people who sort of popularized this model, right, And this is the thing where you have a platform that lets people like nominally buy directly from the factories or from you know, the people who are producing fruit, right, and these factories aren't producing goods until basically either people order the goods or like analytics tells them to order it, so they don't have a lot of the problems that other kind of like distribution models have. You have a bunch of good sitting in a warehouse, like you just don't have that because you don't start production until your sort of orders come in, your analytics come in. And the theory here is you can reduce costs by eliminating the middleman. But of course a new kind of middleman emerged, and that is the drop shipper.
Speaker 4: God.
Speaker 3: So the drop shipper is just someone using the consumer to manufacturer pipeline. Right that the platforms that are supposed to let you the consumer sort of just like buy directly from the thing and cut out mailmen. It's just someone doing that but then turning around and selling you the result. And this has become just utterly fucking ubiquitous in the American economy. It's it's sort of like an integral part of the American scam economy now too, as the American economy has been increasingly sort of riddled and consumed by scams and riddled and consumed by sort of like people trying to capitalize on like some fucking meme or some political thing. You know, you have all these people doing like drop ship t shirts right where they can immediately come in and.
Speaker 4: Ye sell all of this stuff.
Speaker 2: These like short lived like trend meme based either like fashion or even like goods. You know, you can talk about like the amount of like content creator merch that is all funneled through these like drop shipping companies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's it's also what's been it's a thing that's enabled like fast fashion to function in.
Speaker 4: The way that it is right now, right absolutely.
Speaker 3: And this has become what consumption is in large swaths of the world is from this sort of like direct to consumer drop shipping shit, right. Yeah, Now, the thing about about these drop shipping things is that their profit margins are really really low. They don't make that much money, and in fact, a lot of these things like hemorrhage money until they've basically you know, they do the thing that Amazon did, right, where like you lose money for a million years, but then eventually you have enough market chourney you start making money again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you make it so all your competitors basically can't function because you have prices that are so low. And then when you're the only one in the game with a sizeable power influence, you can raise prices and then you make tons of money. Also the Uber model, although Uber still is improfitable. Yeah, well so yeah, Uber will never make any money.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: But the other thing here that's important is that, you know, so the margins of a company like Temu, right, which is like probably the biggest of these sort of companies now, are low. But Temu technically has tech money, Like they have money to back them up, right, you know, who doesn't have an unbelievable amount of just like capital sitting around that they could just instantly pull from if suddenly there is I don't know, a sixty percent fucking price shock. Oh wait, it's all of the fucking manufacturing you know, like tiny manufacturing firms that these drop shipping things use to produce all their stuff.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: That infrastructure is very fragile. It's it's margins are very bad. And oh guess what happens to that shit if you impose sixty percent terrafs on it?
Speaker 4: Right, it just shuts down because that's the easiest option, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you know, and presumably I think one of the other parts of this would be part of the reason this has been happening is that all of this office are being imported like under terriff loopholes. But like that loopholes not hard to close, right, What terraf loopoles are you referring to? Oh yeah, so I talked about this in the ten episode. Those loopholes on American terriffs were like, if you're if you're bringing stuff into the country that's below a certain value, it has to be above like a six hundred dollars something to like trigger a threshold, okay, to like activate the teriffs applying to it. So people just ship a bunch of like one billion boxes individually that are like five hundred and ninety nine dollars to go under the thing.
Speaker 2: So you're saying I can still maybe buy my new Sonic the Hedgehog PS five game, though, that should be fine.
Speaker 4: I'll be totally good. Oh god, okay.
Speaker 3: So the other part of this that's important, right, So this is the kind of I don't know of news the right word, but this is the kind of recent part of the economy that's incredibly dependent on Chinese supply chains, right, that gets just liquefied if these terrorists go through. These are enormous companies that you know are going to just eat shit, and those companies eating shit have these sort of effects we talked about earlier, right, which is it caused people to get fired, it causes growth collapses, it causes cyclical decreases in people's ability to buy things, and then also like demand decreases because people can't buy things. But this is like the new school supply chain stuff.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: Temu's a product of really the last six or seven years, and it really only functions the way it does now in the lasts about four but the previous two eras of supply some logistics, right, which is sort of wal Mart and Amazon are both also almost completely dependent on Chinese supply chains.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a good JD super article which is they're like a business intelligence website, right, you know, talks about how Walmart imports seventy percent of all of it's goods from China.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that track seventy percent seven zero, right.
Speaker 3: And the reason that it works like this is because Walmart's entire business model, all of their supply chains, all of their logistics, everything that they do, right was was designed basically hand in hand to be integrated into Chinese economic production.
Speaker 4: And you can't just move that shit instantly, right.
Speaker 3: And this is also true of something like Amazon, right where Amazon, like sixty three percent of independent sellers on Amazon this is from the same source are Chinese.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 3: So what you're dealing with is vast parts of the American economy, right, The parts of the American economy that you interface to buy things are based on goods that are suddenly going to have like sixty to one hundred percent tariff stapled onto them. Now, the thing that people have been talking about as the like, oh well, here's the thing that will happen instead instead like, instead of the thing that's pretty obviously going to happen if this have happens, which is just that the economic bubble we're in pops and everything s to go to shit. People have been like, oh, well, this will just accelerate the shift of production of goods out from China. And like I've been talking about this for like a fuck decade, right, Like the journal Chwung is something that I talk about a lot that I record on. People really has been talking about this for literally ages and ages and ages. So people have been trying to move production out of China for ages. I mean, like one of the first big attempts to do this was in twenty eleven when there is there's a series of riots in China, and people tried to move production of goods out of China and they couldn't do it. And the reason that they couldn't do it was because you have to find a country that has both like a relatively skilled and educated labor force and also has the infrastructure to be able to like match Chinese production. And so they we're talking about things like they have to have like a functioning electrical grid that is stable enough for.
Speaker 4: Production to function.
Speaker 3: And this rules out an enormous number of countries and it's just really really hard. And yeah, like Chinese capital has been moving away from its sort of old centers and the prop of delta to.
Speaker 4: Places like Vietnam.
Speaker 3: Right, but and this is the fucking big one, right, A lot of a lot of what's been happening for people have been talking about this thing called quote quote unquote decoupling, which is which is this the separation of the US and Chinese economy so that they're not like it, they're trying with each other. People think this is good for ideological reasons, or they think it's just something that's happening, and it's not. It's not happening. You know what else isn't happening. It's us not plugging these products and services.
Speaker 2: I think we do legally have to plug them. So here they are. Here's the plugs for the products and services.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: Now, now that you've decoupled yourself from your money to buy these products and services, let's let's talk at at bit more about why decoupling is fucking bullshit.
Speaker 5: One.
Speaker 3: And I've been to something I've been saying on the show for years, like people have this sort of fantasy that what's happening is that, Okay, instead of making your thing in China, you make your thing somewhere else. And this means that American companies no longer have the supply chains running through China. That's not what's happening at all. On the financial front, where you have is actually increasing integration as as China attempts to sort of like you know, has been lifting restrictions on the ownership of different types of corporations to make it easier for foreign owners to actually come in and invest and put capital in China. Right, the second thing that's happening is a lot of these supposedly like we're cutting China out of the supply chain things, have been a bunch of Chinese companies starts starting to set up production in Mexico. Now, the thing about that, right, if Mexico was supposed to be the fucking panacea for getting us out of these tariffs, remember that Trump was talking about two hundred percent tariffs on Mexico, and that's the country that's supposed to like fucking get us out of this mess by like, oh, we'll be fine because like production will to shift away from China to like to where like a lot of the assumptions I was reading was like people were talking about, oh, the production will like twenty five percent of production will like.
Speaker 4: Shift to Canada. It's like, no, it won't do.
Speaker 3: Canada doesn't have the fucking production facilities to do They're like, what are you talking about, Like.
Speaker 4: Canada doesn't have the population to do that. No, it doesn't.
Speaker 3: This is this sort of problem, right, you know, on the one hand, you know, China has been de industrializing for like a decade and a half now, right, and kind of slowly, but the percentage of the population that's working in manufacturing has been steadily decreasing for years and years and years and years. But the problem is that when you move production out of a place, you actually have to have a second place to produce it, and there just haven't been right, Like you It's it's pretty easy to move low end manufacturing. This is what's been happening, right, Like really cheap garment stuff, for example, has been has been moving to places like.
Speaker 4: Bangladesh and Vietnam for a while.
Speaker 3: But once you start getting into the stuff that China produces like the most of right, which is things like fucking cell phones, sort of mid tier commodity production that gets way way, way, way way harder.
Speaker 4: No, but the Chips Act will save us.
Speaker 3: Me.
Speaker 4: I heard it from everyone on the television. I just got this.
Speaker 3: This is the sort of thing about this, right is if you look, if you read the analysis that people are doing of this, they just sort of assume that you can just like, oh well, like naturally a bunch of the consumption that Americans are doing will stay the same because they'll go buy goods that aren't produced in China. It's like, okay, like where where are you finding these goods from? Like what production facilities are you just like suddenly that have just been like sitting there fallow are just suddenly gonna like a PEERI out of nowhere.
Speaker 4: And the answer is like, that's not going to happen. And it's not.
Speaker 3: It's not going to happen, partially because they don't exist. Partially because again, the immediate consequence of this is a massive economic labs. China's economy has already been slowing for the like basically, I mean it's been slowing since like two thousand and eight.
Speaker 4: Really wow, I see.
Speaker 3: Has an eleven kind of but it's especially been slowing in the past two or three years because of sort of COVID restriction stuff and also just a kind of lackluster rate of returns on their own, like they had their own version of the two thousand and eight housing bubble, and that's annihilated and unbelievable amount of money because it turns out investing in real estate doesn't work as is basis for your economy. But like that's the thing, right, if the Chinese economy fucking goes down, right, that's like that's seventeen percent of the world's GDP. Seventeen yeah, of the total GDP, right, And it's like the economy isn't national in a way where you can have an economic collapse in another country, in just a country that's that large and ignore it. And the thing I want to close on, and the reason we know that this is true is that it is actually possible kind of to restart america domestic manufacturing.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: Reagan was able to do it in the eighties. And Reagan did it through this thing called the Plaza Accords where he basically he didn't literally put the prime ministers of Japan and West Germany at gunpoint, but he basically put them at gunpoint and forced them to increase the value of their currencies so that the US currency would devalue, which would admit which makes it like a more competitive export economy. And this actually brought back American manufacturing for a while until it had to all be reversed under the Clinton administration and the Reverse Plaza Accords, because the problem was when you sort of nuke to the zero sum manufacturing of a country like Japan, their fucking economy didn't work anymore. And in order to sort of bail out the Japanese economy and stop just a sort of world running economic collapse, I would have just like tore the absolute shit out of the economy. The US had to fucking reincrease the value of its currency and lose its whole domestic production base. Right You can't actually increase a production base in the world right now without decreasing it somewhere else, and that has sort of staggering, ripple economic effects for the entire global economy, which is why even if Trust's plan worked somehow and didn't immediately cause an economic collapse by like the direct effect on American consumers, it would cause another economic collapse by the effect on fucking people in China.
Speaker 2: So well, Mia, I think you might be overreacting here a little bit because at least food will be available, obviously, and I learned this on X My main source for news is that agriculture almost all done in the States, so we should be fine, Like, we'll still be able to eat food, right, I say, staring.
Speaker 3: No to the voice, No, you can't, because, unfortunately, think about American agricultures, it's all fucking mechanized agriculture. The thing about mechanized agriculture is that you need the mechanized part, and that's all fucking produced either in other countries or the John Deere fucking like tractor factories in the US are all unbelievably reliant on a bunch of parts that are made overseas.
Speaker 4: So also, we do import a great deal of food, well we do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, even just talking about the food that we produce here, right, like, that's also gonna be fun.
Speaker 2: I wonder, I wonder where your strawberries in November are coming from. I think the other thing to keep in mind here is that this is only one aspect of how Trump will impact the economy. Obviously, his immigration policies could serve a similarly large financial problem if a whole bunch of agricultural jobs suddenly kind of vanish, and farms and other processing plants just to go out of business due to a lack of workers. And even some people on Trump's team have started to acknowledge this, mostly Elon Musk, who has opened said that Trump's term will involve some quote temporary hardship, so between tariffs and mass deportations. Like even people on his team know that this is going to damage the economy, especially in the short term, if not.
Speaker 4: The like forever term.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and yet he was still elected as the economically viable candidate.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I think the last part we should say, and this is it's not that you can't like fucking obliterate a giant portion of the American economy and still come out extremely popular because you've crushed the American working class like that That's what Reagan did, right, Like Reagan and the Vulgar Shocks did this enormous, I mean, just put a crater in the American economy and in Reagan's first term, like the skyrocketing unemployment, just like real, real sort of economic devastation. But the thing about the vulgar shock was that the way he blew up the economy was really really good for people who like fucking owned assets, like people who who like owned bonds, like people like people.
Speaker 4: Who held other people's debt.
Speaker 2: He was great for those people, and like the burgeoning investment economy, which now kind of dominates our entire economic system.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it was incredible for those people. And so it was fine.
Speaker 3: But think about this economic collapse, that this is also going to just absolutely fuck up the days of a bunch of extremely wealthy and influential capitalists. So including by the way, Elon Musk, who's tesla's are produced in China, Like he has a gigafactory. He's a gigafactory in shing John. So we'll see if Trump actually is able to implement this stuff. I think he's able to on a policy level, it's just politically, can he actually do these tariffs?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's unclear. It's also unclear what exact numbers he's gonna run with. A ten percent tariff will still be bad, but it's nothing compared to one hundred percent tariff. I think Trump by and large just says whatever comes into his head without thinking through the actual logistical ends of what he's saying. And I think most Trump's supporters do not take him literally as a person, at least they don't take what he says necessarily literally all the time. They take him seriously, but perhaps not literally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we'll have to see how this actually plays out. If it does play out in the ways that Trump has said that it is going to play out, it is going to just unbelievably tank the economy in ways that absolutely suck. So, yeah, that's that's happening here in the future. Maybe that's the name of the podcast.
Speaker 2: Right, So stock up on your PS fives now before they get harder to buy, and it'll be fine. Yeah, there'll be nothing else bad that happens to the economy as long as you have your PS fives.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: People always want fucking books to the end of episodes, so I'm just putting books at the end of episodes. This is my plugging Chwang Chu a n G'll help. We'll put it in the description. It's a bunch of stuff about Chinese economics. Mostly it's the sort of economic history of visionally the socialist period and the transition to capitalism. But it also has a bunch of very very good stuff. I'm trying to understand the Chinese economy. And so if you want to be about ten years ahead of like guys who write for the econ hoymist if you read Schwang, you will end up being like ten years ahead of those guys.
Speaker 4: So yeah, great stuff.
Speaker 6: All right, welcome to it could happen here. And what it is today is me James and Mia Wong Hi, Mia, Hello, Hi. What we're here to talk to you about today is something else, which, despite my positive tone of voice, is sad and depressing.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's just a lot of that, and like we don't want you to be too sad. It doesn't bear moping around, you know, like we've got time to get organized and that's what we should be doing. And also like just get out and go outside and see your friends and do things that bring you joy, Like we'll work out how to get through it. So you know, like, yep, I think it's really easy. And I found myself doing this stay at home and be sad, but don't like I went out with some friends for a hike on Friday, and I feel so much better. So I would advise you to do that. Maybe you're listening on your hike. That would be fun. Actually, I think if I was hiking, I would I would skip this one and listen to the birds and uh, you know, enjoy the outdoors.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, you know, if if you want the ideological framing event, the ideological framing of it is that morale is a charade of struggle. Yes, and it is very easy to lose if your morale is absolutely terrible.
Speaker 6: So, yeah, we got four years. We can't be being moping around like we will get through it. We will find ways to make it better. And part of the way we do that, yeah, is keeping Amarell up and doing things that bring us joy. Thing that brings me joy is talking about roch Java, the Autonomous Administration of North and East Syria, and we're going to talk about that today. We're talking about Donald Trump's foreign policy in his second term. So his previous foreign policy was a pretty mixed bag, and he bombed the shit out of the Islamic State, right cool. Based he also bombed the shit out of thousands of Syrian and Iraqi civilians. Not so cool. Also, we should note, not so different from every other president this century. Bombing civilians has been pretty much the through line of American foreign policy in that part of the world for a very long time, in particular in the Trump administration. I want to talk about there was a single US strike cell called Talent Annvil. I think they were mainly like CAG guys from what I read, so Delta Force guys, Army Special Forces guys who were making these decisions. They hired a office building in Syria, and these guys were constantly looking at drone feeds and various other information and then calling in strikes on various targets. Right, I'm not sure if they had the CAAG guys in the watching computers. I'm not entirely sure, and like, well he didn't have someone else who knows, But this strike sale dropped more than one hundred and twenty thousand bonds, and Jesus Christ, yeah, yeah, the amount of ordinance we dropped on Syria, it is insane. It circumvented procedures are in place to prevent Philian deaths. In order to do so, they had embedded lawyers who were supposed to approve the strikes. But these lawyers tried to raise the alarm that some of these strikes were reckless. They weren't hitting things that were actual targets, and they sort of ran into an organizational brick wall. At some point, pilots even refused to engage targets because they didn't think Jesus, Yeah, which it's not usual.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like that'd be pretty fucked for a fighter pilot to be like, No, I don't think I've ever.
Speaker 4: Heard of that before.
Speaker 6: No, So I found this out in uh well, I think it was the New York Times. In New York Times, a pretty good investigation which we linked in our sources. And yeah, it's like a throwaway line, but I would love to hear more about that. It could have been a drone pilot, which is slightly different, gig. I guess you know, if you're seeing north of Las Vegas there fling a drone, kind of a different scene. So in the battle to defeat the Islamic State, thousands of innucent people lost their lives. As we reached the end of that battle, Donald Trump, who's president at the time, personally called erda one, who's the president of Circuit at the time. Right in late twenty eighteen, Trump asked the one, if we withdraw a soldiers, can you clean up ISIS. That's the quote, According to an unnamed Turkish official interviewed by Reuters, at One replied that Turkish forces were capable of a mission. Quote, then you do it, Trump told him, and US as National Security Advisor John Bolton, who was also on the call to quote start work for withdrawal of US troops from Syria. What this resulted in was US troops putting out from some locations in Syria right local people threw tomatoes at them. Even worse than the tomatoes were the fact that it gave NATO's second largest army, which is Turkey, of course, free reign to attack the Autonomous Administration North Nessyria, which it did in twenty eighteen it did again in twenty nineteen. Those two operations to claim considerable ground in Syria cost countless civilian lives. Continue to perpetrate human rights abuses to rehabilitate people from ISIS and other Jahadi groups as Turkish free Syrian Army, and they kill some people who were people I care about, and I continue to care about the cause of Rajava or Autonomous Administration in North Nessyria very deeply. And it really fucking sucks to think about the potential of the US abandoning those people. Again, not that Biden has done very much. Yeah. Now, I think this anecdote, right of what Trump does with one tells us a lot about his approach to foreign policy, which is he really sees it as very transactional, which is not different from everything else he does. I guess like he's a very transactional person, and he seems really only to be concerned about what he can get out of it. So like in this case, I guess he wants to say he bought US troops home from Syria, like he's anti war. This is one of his things, he says now, right, but he's prepared to also in the case of the bombing, Right, he's not so concerned with civilian casualties as long as he can claim that he'd he was the one who defeated isis right? A bomber couldn't do it. He did it, and he did it on a pile of civilian remains, and also using chiefly the Syrian Democratic Forces, right, not US forces. There were US forces on the ground. They were engaged in combat, but in minuscule numbers compared to SDF, who lost fifteen thousand of their children in a battle against ISIS. And I think Trump would be very willing to admit that he's transactional, right, Like, that's kind of his brand, is like America first and fuck everyone else. So I think he'll probably be similar in this term.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 6: He will act unilaterally, He'll pivot whenever the fuck he feels like it. He will continue with his affection for strong men and dict caters all around the world. But a lot of stuff has changed since Trump's first term, and I think it's illustrative for us to think about how he will engage with things that have changed. So what has changed. There's a much larger conflict between Russia and Ukraine now, and that conflict has been seen massive and overt support both from the USA and for the rest of NATO. There's been a revolution in Memma. I suppose he doesn't know that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I really doubt maybe some of the like weird pro coup meaning from the right guard to him, Yeah, perhaps.
Speaker 6: Or like, I mean, the parallels between the COO and Memma and January sixth are pretty obvious, right, Okay, Look, if January sixth to the landing, it lived a lot like that, except that it was a military party, not just a political party. The Islamic State doesn't exist as a territory identity, but it very much does exist as a terrorist group, which continues to and has actually increased its activity this month with sleeper cells continued, suicide bombing has continued, and the SDF continue with their anti ISIS operations. Without US support, those would be harder. And so we have to ask, I guess on what Trump's going to do with these things? And I want to look at a few different issues and pick apart what Trump said on his campaign website, pick apart what he said on the campaign trail, and then look at who he's appointed so far. We're recording this on Tuesday to twelfth, so if someone gets appointed before you hear this, that's why we've missed them out. So I guess to start with Trump's foreign policy, we should talk about his number one like peer competitor, which is China in his eyes right, not a big China appreciator. So I looked at his campaign website for this, which really has some just incredible use of capital letters. He just fucking does what he wants. It's wild to see. So chiefly one of the things that he's been on about for a while now is tariffs on Chinese made goods, right, as means the feign policy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we just we talked about this last episode.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you will have heard about tariffs at this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So as we've previously mentioned, right, he's talked about these tariffs. These tariffs would cost a lot of money, and they would increase the cost of you going shopping.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they would probably destroy vast whilest of the global economy. Yes, both the Chinese and the American economy, Yes, sort of implode. And then all these countries in Africa and you know, me and lar for instance, exports a lot of these rare earth metals to China, right, and a lot of countries in Africa do too. Aside from the economic sort of aggression, it stands on, Taiwan is weird, which is normally where we would like expect to see the most like physical friction between US and China.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 6: Mike Pompeo has pressed for the USA to formally recognize Taiwan before, which would be a step you know, there'd be a pretty big swing. Trump, on the other hand, seems to want Taiwan to pay the United States for being its ally right now, Yeah, then this is like one of his big.
Speaker 4: Sort of foreign poles super principles, is.
Speaker 3: Like trying to get people to pay him for stuff because that's sort of the only way his brain works. But I remember this was NATO a lot, whereas this whole line on NATO that like NATO should be like paying us because people like you're not spaying it off on defense, so we're like paying all the defense budgets. This is like one of his kind of Yeah, it's been his hobby horse. Yeah, like floats around at his brain, sort of colliding with its walls. Yeah, empty space. Yeah, like a pink bung ball.
Speaker 6: Ironically, like in the time that Trump's been out of of is Russian aggression has led NATO members to spend more on defense, yeah, rather than Donald Trump lambasting them. So one of his big things is that Taiwan should pay the United States. But it would seem very unlikely that he if he's not going to abandon Taiwan, I think because it gives him a place to grand stand on China.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and also, like you know, I mean, one of the things about Trump is that one of the best ways to sort of influence him.
Speaker 4: Is just get a world leader in a room with him alone. Yes.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, well fortunately for us, Trump does not speak Chinese and she doesn't seem to like him very much.
Speaker 6: So yeah, yes, we won't be here. We won't be joining the PSC anytime soon. China, along with Russia right to countries we've spoken about most of both make big plays in Africa. Russia has rebranded what was Wagner as the Africa Cores, and they're sort of providing support to regimes that lack enough legitimacy to exist otherwise. Yeah, they are like sort of classic mercenary shit, like it's your state, illegitimate and does it lack the capacity to do the violence it needs to maintain itself? Don't worry. Here are some heres, some psychopaths from Russia.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's just a lot of people, I think because like a lot of these sort of governments will kind of like do their like like put a red Bereton and start doing their anti imperial as cosplay and then you like read the like the fine print of the contracts they've signed with like Africa Korra, thing that like you expect to be spelled like Africa and Core with a K like Kalo rps like and it's like, oh okay, so, like they've signed away a bunch of the country's mineral rights and like they've signed away a bunch of these specific minds to these mercenary groups. It's like, oh okay, so this is like awesome. This is also just imperialism. It's just new management.
Speaker 6: Yeah exactly, Yeah, it's just different imperialism. And then China has big plays in Africa too, Like I've personally seen a lot of Chinese owned minds in Africa, Chinese roads in Africa. China does also like offer infrastructure. Chinese does a kind of quid pro quo. It doesn't come in like with the violence like Russia does. It comes in with that will build your hospital if we can have all your natural resources. US policy in Africa is pretty much to stop those two countries getting too much influence. The Biden administration is as many liberals are right, like, there's actually not that much difference between what Biden and Trump will do in Africa. The difference is Biden is smart enough not to say it. Trump's ability to do anything useful in Africa is going to be masked by his massive racism, Like when he says things like shitthhole countries, it becomes a lot harder for the US to do anything in Africa that isn't tinged by that, right, Like that doesn't make that sort of imperialist ambition more obvious. US politicians rarely talk about Africa, they rarely campaign on what they were going to do in Africa, and so pretty much the only things we're going to hear from Donal Trump at Africa, I would imagine, are going to be when he lets his racism out. Yeah, that will have results for like US credibility. Also, my guess is.
Speaker 3: We see intensifications of sort of US drone strikes, particularly in the Horn, and we see like like all of the stuff that Biden is doing, but worse and killing even more people.
Speaker 6: Somehow, Yeah, I would imagine that we will see these more aggressive throne strike especially against like Islamist groups in Africa. That US has special forces deployments in a few places in Africa, which will probably maintain I would imagine, Like, I don't think those are things that Trump would He wouldn't see any benefit from stopping them, I guess, And it may not even know about them. So yeah, I think we will see little change in Africa would be my guess.
Speaker 4: Mildly worse.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I talk of mildly worse. Mere The thing that makes these podcasts mildly worse is our obligation to pivot to advertisements, which we must do now.
Speaker 3: That was that was a great one, holding out on you for three years, the good ad pivots.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, there it is. That's what we've got for you. All right, we're back. So I want to talk about Europe. As you've heard in the Tariff's episode, right, he wants to put tariffs on European goods. European Union is going to slap tariffs right back on American goods. That doesn't really help anyone. It will make exporting from the USA very very hard. One thing that the USA might stop exporting is weapons to Ukraine. It's a little unclear Trump he called Olensky the greatest salesman on Earth, but it was also claimed that he can personally end the war in twenty four hours. I don't think that means that he will be deploying himself to the down bas a like a gun dam, but he claimed he can do this with his negotiating skills, this seems unlikely. To put it mildly, I don't think that it would be possible to end this war in twenty four hours if both sides declared peace right now, getting communications to their frontline troops would be a challenge in twenty four hours in some places. Yeah. So the way I interpret this, and I may be wrong here, is that he is likely to leverage the support that the United States gives to Ukraine in order to force Zelensky into an unfavorable settlement, which would achieve his goal of a being able to say he stopped giving American money to Ukraine, which has been a big talking point for the Like every time you sat with the Western North Carolina right after the hurricane or these Republicans sort of talking points were like, oh, well, all the money is in Ukraine, so we can't have fucking MREs for people in Western North Carolina, Like FEMA has no money because we sent Ukraine some memphors. This is very silly, right, This is it's not a zero sum game. It's not really a reasonable critique, but it's one that Trump has kind of managed to stick in the culture was his base seems to see the money going to Ukraine is directly coming from things that would otherwise be going to them, which he would benefit from it if he could bring this war to a close, right jd Vance has mentioned a demilitarized zone in between Russia and Ukraine, which yeah, he's going to minister the DMZ like yeah, like this did we really want this? Are we going to have troops out like we do in South Korea? For you know when was a career around the nineteen fifty seventy years, right, And I don't think that's really really.
Speaker 3: What they The thing what DMC is no one actually likes them. No, this sucks, It sucks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're awful.
Speaker 6: It's just a bit of land that you can yeat weapons over each other. Like especially in link modern warfare, they're not that effective at stopping to be bull fighting. Right, But very funny that North's career will be two for two on DMZs in wars it has been involved with huge dubb for them. He essentially seems to be advocating for exactly the peace settlement that Putin has proposed and that has been rejected multiple times. Several sources I've seen suggest that Trump has spoken to Putin quite a few times since leaving office. This has planned for Ukraine certainly seems closer to the Russian one than the Ukrainian one, the Ukrainian one being stop invading us and go home, and the Russian one being, well, we'll just keep all the stuff we've taken so far and then add a buffer zone in between, and Ukraine can keep whatever's left of its country. Right. What's interesting to me is what other than NATO members will do in the event of the US reducing its AID. I would suspect that they will try and step up and meet that gap. It might also result in the US put certain restrictions on its AID.
Speaker 4: Right, how it can be used, where it can be used crucially.
Speaker 6: Right, they don't like Ukraine using things to attack in Russia proper. They don't mind am using them to attack Russian forces, but not within Russia. I did see a picture yesterday of a I think it was three guys from Rogue I think it's called, which is a unit within the International Legion who had been killed within Russia. And they had a lot of like eighty fours and things like that, right, like US anti tank weapons, but the United States doesn't want Ukraine using the long range artillery and stuff it's given it to yeat projectiles at Moscow. I can see a situation where if the US draws down some bit aid, European allies of Ukraine might not play some of those restrictions on their aid. That could lead to some interesting complications for Russia. Right if Ukraine is more effective, like if they get more aid from Europe and Europe doesn't place restrictions on the aid, they could potentially strike Russia within Russia, which is not going to be good for Putin and it's probably not going to be good for like bringing I mean, unless they can deal some really crippling blows. It might not be good for bringing the war to an end. But maybe it will. Maybe they've done some pretty effective things with not a huge amount so far.
Speaker 4: I don't know. Maybe they get lucky on a strike on the Kremlin or something.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, just the one like I mean, yeah, I'm sure that would be their strategy if they wouldn't have they didn't have restrictions, would be to just keep pounding places they think Putin might be.
Speaker 3: This is the history of Russian warfare. Dumber things that have happened and have lost Russia wars. So yeah, yeah, a lot dumber than that. So yeah, I don't think that Ukraine will be screwed if the US pulls out. I do think it will be a lot harder for them.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And you know, if that's something, there are a lot of US sits and still fighting in Ukraine. Would be pretty devastating to abandon Ukraine. And I think also just from the sort of stopping Russian aggression standpoint, it's much better to stop it here than somewhere else. But yeah, we will see. I guess European countries are really ramping up their defense, but right now the US is like the heart of the military industrial complex and Europe really can't keep up with the US production. Of course, the US being the heart of the military industrial complex does mean that a lot of Trump donors will probably be able to leave ridge of their donations to his campaign, and so we might not see as much of a drawdown of Bay to Ukraine as we're worrying about here. May talking of launching things from a long distance at a very small target, I would like to launch these advertisements from iHeart mean the advertising department directly to your ears, Heiger.
Speaker 4: It's all so bad.
Speaker 3: As we were recording this, it's come out that the new Secretary of Defense is going to be Pete Hegseth, who's like a Fox News guy who doesn't believe germs are real.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this guy who has not washed his hands in ten years.
Speaker 4: Great. I mean at least he might die of COVID. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I was gonna say he made it. Wow. Sorry that that that hair is really something. Oh that's not good at all. Yeah.
Speaker 8: Wait what On June fourteenth, twenty fifteen, hag Seth accidentally hit a west poind juror with an act a live cube like, oh, I think it was incredible.
Speaker 6: Let's have that link pulled up. Alright, this video is unavailable, all right, No, we're finding this video that nothing disappears from the internet. All right, here we go. No, my god, this is just clown ship. Like I need to write. Listen, if you were hit in the dick and balls by an act thrown by future Defense secretary, please contact cool Zone Media. iHeartMedia dot com. I hope the VA is paying for this man's benefits.
Speaker 9: It's the stupidest thing I've ever seen someone do. Like, in the course of reporting for this show. Yeah, it's amazing, like very funny. Again, please contact us. I hope you're okay. Service related injury. Yeah, so that's that's peak.
Speaker 6: Hegg Seth, right, future sec def also former reservist who who deployed to Guantanamo as an Indiant try platoon leader at Guantanamo. I think he also deployed to Afghanistan in twenty twelve, and previously he'd also deployed to Iraq. He did voluntary two voluntary deployments or he's in two locations in IRAQII. So he's hit the greatest hits of US foreign policy in the last twenty years. I guess he's made his career as a Fox News pundit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's just like a right wing gooul.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I mean in the last Trump administration when he was punditing, he advised Trump had been considering pardoning several war criminals and did pardon several war criminals. Right, and Hexseth was one of the people who A he talked about on Fox News, well he was advising Trump to do it, and B he was advising Trump to do it. Jesus Christ.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can read up about the Trump partons of war criminals.
Speaker 3: It's bad enough that a guy was getting turned in by his own Special Forces unit, Like do you know how bad?
Speaker 4: How like fucking hideous?
Speaker 3: The shit you have to do is for like for like your own guys in a special Forces unit to be like, holy.
Speaker 4: Shit, we have to stop this guy. Yeah, Like it's awful.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean if you should look up Clint Laurance's stuff as well, like l O I NC if you're interested in this stuff. He was convicted I think of two murder accounts for ordering his soldiers to fire and unarmed people. And then yeah, the other one was a Green Beret named Matt Goltschin who was also charged with the murder of someone in Afghanistan, someone who had been making IDs. So like, I think we can see where this guy is going. We've just found this out as well as we're recording for context. Like that's quite troubling. Yeah. His other two foreign policy appointments that I've seen so far have been less so look, i'd say less so. Marco Rubio is a third right, Like, I think we all know that I share very little with Marco Rubio on Turkey and Rajaba. He is good. He is not a fan of Verta one. He's in contact with Googlanists. He kind of puts Turkey in the in the bricks box is a good yeah, which which leads us to the very funny idea of Marco Rubio ordering a drone strike on airicc Adams.
Speaker 3: I mean, well, here's the thing though, Good's dead now, so so like there's like a secession crisis of like who's gonna.
Speaker 6: Have the goodinist anti pope Mark Rubio. Yeah, that could be very good for Rajava at least right the big concern among those of us who carry deeply about Rajava has been that Trump will abandon them as he did in the past. Right, And so I guess we're looking for glimmers of hope. And I think Rubio kind of, oddly, weirdly was one. Compared to I was expecting more of the hegths, like Fox News commentator type people in foreign policy positions, because Trump fundamentally doesn't care about foreign policy, and like it's an area where he can kind of give something to those kind of like insane far right commentator types. He all also did appoint Mark Waltz. I think could be Wolls He's one of the first special Army special forces guys serving Congress, maybe the first as a national security advisor. Walls is a member of the Kurdish Caucus in Congress, so again positive for his JA there. Talking of Army special forces, there's one more insane Trump foreign policy proposal that I want to discuss, and that is his desire to use the United States Army in Mexico. I'm just going to read from his campaign website here. President Trump will take down the drug cartels just as he took down ISIS. He will impose a total naval embargo on cartels, order the Department of Defense to inflict maximum damage on cartel leadership and operations, and designate cartels as foreign terrorist organizations and choke off the access to the global financial system. President Trump will get the full cooperation of neighboring governments to dismantle the cartels or else expose every bribe and kick back allows these criminal networks to preserve their rain. He will ask Congress to ensure that drug smugglers and traffickers can receive the death penalty. There's a lot there. The way that Donald Trump helped defeat ISIS was exclusively by bombing things and with some small contributions from US grand troops, but we don't really have a partner force in Mexico like that, and I think, especially with the new administration in Mexico and especially with Trump proposing one hundred percent tariffs on Mexican goods, we're unlikely to find one. Which leaves the very strange kind of prospect of US troops carrying out like unapproved, undeconflicted hits on Mexican nationals in Mexico, which like it's an act of war.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you are.
Speaker 6: Invading Mexico, is what you're doing. I should point out that the Bortac under Biden did shoot one Mexican national this year, who was he was holding up migrants with a gun. He's rubbing with a gun. It wasn't It's a place where I've been dozens of times where they shot here and they didn't seem to be much fuffle about that. But that is not invading Mexico.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like if they're invading Mexico, like you knows, as close as American Mexican sort of security cooperation has been and as many people as that's killed from the Mexican side, like that's oh boy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Like it remains to be seen how much of this actually happens. Right, Mexico has a new president, the United States has a new president. They're not exactly politically fellow travelers, I'll say that.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I mean, I will say, like Armlow and Trump got along like decently. Well, yeah, largely off of Omblows like anti immigrant policies, but I don't know if that's going to work with China bomb.
Speaker 6: Like and like in the final year of Armlow, like they definitely they did a lot to help Biden within effectively enforcing US border policy by deporting people's South people I spoke to me the Darien series have been sent so off again this week. But Biden's had actually some pretty high profile cartel arrests right within Cineloa cartel. He's destabilized that cartel, but has happened within the US. They didn't send teams into into Mexico, and the way that the US has traditionally got hold of cartel leaders before is going to be arrested in Mexico in cooperation with Mexican government forces, be they police or military, and then extraducted them to the US trial and that doesn't seem to be what Trump is proposing. But again, like the bombastic rhetoric and the reality are sometimes very different.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I have some vague memory that he, like last time, he wanted to like send Special Forces guys to do this, and his advisors were like, what the fuck are you talking about. We can't send Yeah, like people in New Mexico.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Look, just to be real, those organizations have reached inside the United States and that would be an extremely messy situation. Yeah, and like the way this would have to be done, right, Like, I don't think you can do this with drone strikes. That you have to do this with boots on the ground, and that's going to be contrary to what he's promised to do, which is not risk more US soldiers' lives. Who knows what this will actually look like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my guess is you will find a way to get the maxim umousivilians killed.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, yeah, we would himself. Yeah, it's that's probably would be the result of this.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly. And I think as you sort of wein this down, like civilian deaths are probably going to increase. Right, He's never shown himself to be unduly concerned about those things. He doesn't see that the problem. The second thing the US will lose is what Joseph Nay called soft power, right, which is like the power to influence people without projecting force, cultural power, cultural capitals. Body. You might have called it really getting heavy on the university shit at the back half of this episode. The US lost a lot of that in the first Trump term, right, and it will lose more of it in the second Trump term. Some of that is, you know, the the US maybe shouldn't be influencing, and the US has had some pretty malign influence around the world. You can listen to a song called Washington Bullet to learn more about it. But it will mean that, like there will be a space for other bad actors, right, Russia, China, You know that le Russia has not shown itself to be any more concerned with human rights, and probably less so than than the United States went in in and it's time in Syria, right, it's been an unmitigated disaster for the Syrian people. The Russian cooperation with your side regime. We do not need more of that around the world. The Wagners to Africa Core deployments in Africa have been horrific in terms of human rights, and this will open more spaces for that. So yeah, I mean it doesn't look great this secretive appointment. Maybe we'll learn more about that in the coming days, but that doesn't look great. There are some bright spots for a Java. I guess there's some glimmers of hope there, which is a nice thing. Trump's policy on Gaza fits with this general model of like he wants to end conflicts, and the way he sees of doing that is doing away with any restraint in terms of civilian casualties. And so the way that he went after isis was to just say bomb them all. I can see him doing the same thing in Gaza, right, just saying like he wants to claim that he bought an end to the war and he doesn't care how many bodies he's standing on when he says that. Yeah, same thing in Lebanon, obviously. So yeah, these are not great things. These are things that we will have to deal with for decades to come, whatever happens. And I guess the way that you can do something here like why a little glimmer of hope, It's like you can reach out to people all around the world and let them know that, like, even if America's foreign policy is shit, you're not. I have sat in ro Java and I have seen them taking the children to the hospitals, and I've watched the US soldiers sit in their bases and do nothing, and like it didn't help. Really I didn't. I wasn't able to do very much. I couldn't even give blood. But I was able to be there with them, and maybe they're meant something, and like you can, you can do little things to show your solidarity around the world because there won't be much of it coming from the government.
Speaker 7: What have y'all welcome to It already happened here because this was the goal of this show, was to tell you that things was probably going to happen here, and then it did.
Speaker 5: I am not one of the normal hosts, as you can tell.
Speaker 7: I am your your friendly cousin that shows up every once in a while during the holidays. And if your cousins are anything like my cousins, which means we're immediately going to get in trouble because parents are gonna blame you since I'm the cousin, because it's not my fault, because I'm the guest.
Speaker 5: Anyway, we want.
Speaker 7: To talk about some stuff that, like, in some senses, is a bit absurd to talk about, because like the American understanding of pan ethnic terms and demographics are.
Speaker 4: Just oh god, sir, yes, it.
Speaker 5: Just don't make sense.
Speaker 7: Like nobody in the group identifies as what the group is called, but that's still the group, right.
Speaker 5: I recommend a book called white Fish Don't Exist. It's a great book.
Speaker 7: I'm here with the brilliant, brilliant meta wong.
Speaker 4: What's up, miya, It's it's all happening. It's it's all happening here.
Speaker 3: It sucks, but at least I'm getting great interests, the best what I've ever gotten.
Speaker 5: Best best interest.
Speaker 7: That's what I come for, you know what I'm saying, Like I come for us to be able to have pancakes for breakfast, you know, because your cousin's here. You know what I'm saying, So you get to have like pancakes for breakfast, and you know, stand in your pajamas longer, like it's great when your cousins are here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yea.
Speaker 5: Anyway, so let's do this.
Speaker 7: We want to talk about Well, the thing is, like I don't know if y'all have admitted. I admitted this on our show that like we kind of had to have all hands on deck discussion here as to like, Okay, let's get to our organized like, let's figure out what we're going to say as a network and kind of brainstorm things to talk about, because I'm pretty sure like a lot of us are still like wait, what the fuck? I'm sorry what like, you know, and us holding down the DEI section of cool Zoe, you know, we are the diversity, equity and inclusion over here. Figured you know, there were some things that were super shocking around some of the data that was coming back from the exit polls. As we thought about like okay, so who actually voted for who.
Speaker 5: And how much?
Speaker 7: And so we kind of wanted to talk about the Asian vote, right yep, which is again from the intro, it's an absurd category to.
Speaker 4: Say that, yeah, totally, Yeah.
Speaker 7: The Latino vote, which is also equally as absurd as a category.
Speaker 5: And yeah, just.
Speaker 7: Where some of the sort of marginalized groups, like some of the numbers that were in some way shocking. I will say, as far as holding down the black man section, I am very proud of us for eventually coming back home, right and voting in the upper eighty percent for the black woman, you know, which was encouraging. Now, granted our number of how many of us voted shrike immensely, you know, But either way, we just wanted to talk about those things. And I think one caveat for me, I would say, and then I'll turn it over. I think Mia, like you know, you can take it on from there. Is I am, in fact a black man, So I think I can speak from a certain level of experience. Obviously not the experience of every human, right, but I can speak from a certain level of experience. Now as we talk about the Latino vote, I am, in fact, news flash, not Latino. You know what I'm saying. My wife is from East LA. But obviously proximity is not the same as being a member of so keep that in mind as we discuss these things.
Speaker 5: So let me turn it over to turn it over to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know this is one of these you're talking a bit about the sort of category and coherence here, right, And like one of the things about the way this is aggregated is that so Asian Americans as a whole went about five percent to the right in this election, but that doesn't capture what was going on, because every part of the demographics were just sort of flying in every direction, and unfortunately, most of the actual right wing pull was very specifically from my people, which is to say, Chinese Americans who went right.
Speaker 4: In staggering numbers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know, I'm not really surprised by because this has just been the way that sort of specifically Chinese American communities have been shifting for the past I mean really like eight years, but particularly intensifying since twenty twenty. Yeah. And so if you look at sort of where these things happened, the biggest ones were New York and LA, and you know, places like Seattle had some shifts, But I think New York in particular, UK and LA in particular are important for this because a huge part of the reason that this happened was the sort of crime panic stuff. Yeah, and the crime padic didn't one hundred percent start with Chinese Americans, but it's one of the earliest sort of incubators of this entire thing. So the sort of trajectory of this is that in twenty twenty you have this sort of like whole stop Asian hate campaign, right, and you know, yeah, you have all this race like sort of like racist like ascitement.
Speaker 4: Of violence, and you get sort of two responses to it.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: There's the kind of like liberal ish response, which is stop Asian hate, but it's kind of vacuous and doesn't doesn't really have any political content at all. It's kind of vaguely anti Trump, but like there's not much there. And then there's the right ring response. And the right ring response is just okay, like there, we're just gonna blame.
Speaker 4: Black people for this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's like fucking horseshit. It's like, no, it was almost everyone which is getting killed by white people, because that's almost all the way racial violence works in this country, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: But unfortunately, you know, this was an area where the left kind of just did nothing. And if you look at left response, you know, there's there's there's some people who did stuff, right there is you know, like some sex worker orgs like Red Canary Song did some great work. But most of the rest of the American left saw this and was like, Okay, the thing that matters here, and the actual problem with anti Asian violence is that people are criticizing the Chinese government too much and that's what's causing this, and so we need to defend the CCP. And this is just politically, this is fucking radioactive to like, yeah, eighty ninety percent of like fucking Nasian Americans because like, yeah, there's a sort of sort of combinations of factors, right. You have on the one hand, us sort of immigrant communities where most of this shit doesn't work because you're dealing with people who were like, I don't know, we're fucking sterilized by the government because the CCP decided to like do Malthusian fucking population control.
Speaker 5: Have no love for the CCP none whatsoever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, right, and then this this is all this is too reductive, even with Cubans. But it's like this isn't something where you could just sort of brush this away with like, oh, all of these people were like reactionaries from Taiwan or something like that. It's like, no, like a lot of these people came here very recently, and there are you know, there are sort of Tibetan communities.
Speaker 4: There's people from Shingjen here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and all of those people, like all of the sort of pro CCP shit is radioactive and that's what was coming out of the American left. And the same thing with like sort of with with the Hong Kong movement right where there was like, you know, there was this really broad consensus amongst sort of American social democracy. You know, you're sort of like people who were like marginally she left of Birnie right, that stuff was all CIA stuff and it was bad, and that you should support the CCP, you know. I mean there are some tenet organizers, you do good work. We've had on the show, right, like, there are there are people trying to organize the communities, but like the mainstream left was just like fuck it, we don't care, we don't give a shit about you. Like the important thing about you being killed is that we can defend this fucking state that we like. Yeah, And so what happened to the stop Asian hate thing is that it got folded into the crime panic because the product of this was both the sort of right wing we're going to give you anti black racism as you're like, this is this is going to be your solution quote unquote to this, yeah, and the sort of stop Asian hate, like mainstream sort of liberal thing both just fed directly into carcuralism. And you know, so you started like it turned into this rallying cry for like hate crime bills, and then like increasing police presences and you know, like the fucking cops were like all over the place of this shit was happening, and you know, didn't do anything because they're cops, right. Like all of this fed into it went sort of seamlessly into the crime panic, where you could just feed all of these people of the sort of memory of the fear and the anger over like Asian people getting killed, and you could just lump that in with crime.
Speaker 4: And then these communities also.
Speaker 3: And when I say these communities, it's it's kind of important here to do like class breakdowns here too, because the big part of what's happening here is an alignment that I think, like if the Republicans could be like fifteen percent less racist or figure out how to channel the racism against one target at a time, a lot of these people would have fucking fled right in the first place.
Speaker 5: Because yes, yes, so I was gonna say, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: It's like it's like rich people, professionals and like small business owners. It's like, well, yeah, of course those people are like unbelievably sort of turbo hardline reactionarias. It's like, yeah, those are the guys who are like shooting at people from the rooftops and fucking LA and ID two.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But these same people in China, like in Taiwan, in Hong Kong, like, these are people that if you were on the left you would just be fighting every day. But you know, they kind of had been lumped into the Democratic Party because of the just unbelievable racism from the Republicans, and now the sort of crime panic stuff has finally given them this thing where the Republican deal is basically like okay, if you're okay with sort of being anti black with us, if you're okay with massive expansions of police presence, you're okay with us running on that right and also on anti homeless politics. That's been a huge, extremely effective thing Chicili among business owners.
Speaker 4: And I remember, God, I think I've.
Speaker 3: Told the story on air, but back when I was in Chicago, there was this library in Chinatown that I used to like, you know, it was an extra a bunch of shops, and so you could sort of you could get bakery food and you could go sit at these benches, and I came back to them in twenty twenty and the benches literally had had a thing drilled into the table threatening to arrest you if you sat at them for too long a right, and this is this is.
Speaker 4: Like twenty twenty, twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you know that the sort of anti homelessness stuff had started really really early there, and it's just hideous. And you know, these places of going to the right, they're electing Republicans and they're doing it because this kind of like Asian American petitqueourgeois like small business class and some of the sort of richer tech people, et cetera, et cetera, are swinging really really hard to the right.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Man, that actually connected so many dots for me. Like, first of all, like even to like the anti homeless thing, like you know, you start seeing that weird middle of.
Speaker 5: The bench arm rail yep.
Speaker 7: You know, like, well it's like that's so you won't lay on it, you know, That's that's why you did this. But like I hope what I'm about to say is not a trope, you know what I'm saying. It's just it's because of like the proximity that I've had with the Asian community in the sense that my stepmom's Filipino. You know, all the DJs I've all worked with, all these just hip hop. At some point in the nineties, the Filipinos took over. Yeah, I'm saying, so like that's been a lot of ways our community. But I found that, you know, the like proper Asian in the jungle Asian thing where it's like pending on your relationship with the United States is almost even. And if you identify as Asient, because you sit down ten Filipinos, like half of them going to say a Pacific islander, you know, the other have gonna say to Asian. The other have is gonna say the Asian Pacific Islander. And then and then my lord Cambodia right next to them, who are all in Long Beach and their crips, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: So like that sort.
Speaker 7: Of world like they were with us, you know, as far as like they were just a part of our community, whereas the sort of northern kind of proper Asian world, like it's cities is like Alhambra, Monti Roy Park, this is very California stuff. But they stuck to themselves, you know, and they they saw a lot of the American things like this is pragmatic, like we're here to win, like you know, like so when you started having the Asian hate thing, like it's almost like now that you say it, it's like we just tied that community up into a bow and then handed them to the right, because this all happened at the same time as like the the anti affirmative action you know.
Speaker 3: Although I do want to say in the anti affirmative action stuff, because I think people mischaracterize what's going on with that. Asian Americans as a whole and as subgroups support affirmative action.
Speaker 4: Yes, very consistently.
Speaker 3: Every time they're polls, there's like sixty percent support for it, right, yeah, but there's like forty percent of these fucking dipshits who are like, yes, I don't know, you know, I'm like my sort of like classic age response to this is like I fucking did it.
Speaker 4: I was a terrible student. I fuck I got into the University of Chicago.
Speaker 3: Like you didn't take a fucking study harder, Like you're you're not the reason the reason you're not getting into these universities isn't because like black people are being allowed in it's because you suck, like fucking skill issue.
Speaker 4: What the fuck is wrong with really?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but like like there's there was this like class yeah, you know the sort of class.
Speaker 7: And I was gonna get to is this class distinction in the sense that from a black perspective, it was like, Yo, we rallied for y'all over the like stop Asian hate thing, you know what I mean. And then to come back around and see this again from a class perspective because kind of the same thing. And in a lot of ways in the black community, because the reasoning, as you say that, that's why I say it all makes sense. The reasoning is the same, like the system is not for me, so I'm just gonna get mine, Damn the community, you know what I'm saying, Like, I'm just gonna go get mine, you know. And so in the again in the black community, for those that swung right, it was just like like in some senses, they're like, well, why no, y'all are fucking racists, like you know what I'm saying. So I'd like as far as like the rights, like I know you are with the left, it was more like you're just gaslighting me yea. So well, if you're just gonna gaslight me and I already know that you hate me, well fuck it, I'm just gonna get mine, you know.
Speaker 5: And that becomes the thing.
Speaker 7: But as a community, like you said, you know, in the same way as far as like the beef between like the you know, the historical la riots like Chinese and Korean communities. While their parents were on this on the roofs of their of their shops shooting at us, they kids was breaking into the city.
Speaker 5: They was with us like that, breaking it to the same story.
Speaker 4: We'll just break it into you know.
Speaker 7: So that that class distinction was something that made us kind of be like, bro, like, don't you understand You'll never be one of them, They'll never really love you, you know. And I feel like even that sort of like appeal would lurch this group even further to be like, don't tell me who you are, don't tell me where they're They're giving me what I need, you know. So yeah, like I never thought about tying all that together and being that it being like a specific a Chinese lurching.
Speaker 5: Wow. I never thought of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And okay, you know you know what else sells products that are from China.
Speaker 4: It's these products and services support the podcast.
Speaker 7: We sell products from China.
Speaker 4: And we're back.
Speaker 3: So I think that there's one more thing I want to make sure I get to about the Chinese American stuff before we move on. And that's one of the things you kind of brought up earlier, was the insolarity, because part of what's going on here too is that there's a lot of Chinese immigrants and people who you know, you get communities there speaking like they're uspeaking like Kenzanese or Mandarin, and in a lot of cases, it's like you'll get these very very small, tight knit communities with people who are speaking like the provincial dialect that's like semi incomprehensible to other people, right, because it's like effectively.
Speaker 4: Its own language.
Speaker 3: And one of the problems here, and this is one of the places where the left shit the bed like wasn't doing a good organizing, right, And the consequence of this is that in these a lot of the things that we're getting put out in these spaces, the media is all unbelievably right wing. Yeah, right, there's Miles Guah who whatever, God like twelve years from now, when I finished the lab Leak episode, which is gonna be He's gonna be a big part of this was he was this Chinese billionaire who defected to the US and came here and ran one trillion scams and is currently going to prison for Like, yeah, I'm pretty sure he was the guy who's boat Steve Bannon was on when Steve Bannon got arrested by the Post office cops.
Speaker 5: So like this varsity level bad guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, he was here.
Speaker 3: He was issuing passports from like a fake government in exile that he set up. He's running every scam in the entire world. But he's also you know, he's also one of the people. He started the whole lab Leak thing and he so he was flooding the like all all the sort of traininge language media with this hardline right wing sort of pro Republican, hardline anti China stuff. And then you have a very similar thing coming from the Falling Gong, who are everywhere in any every China town, there's Fallen Gong guys everywhere. They're posters, there are people, so they are cult. They run shan Yu. They run a newspaper called The Epak Times, which is just a pure fascist propaganda outlet, and those things kind of just like devoured the entire Chinese language media ecosystem. And it wasn't good before because like there are also a bunch of other weird right wing groups. Like part of the problem here too is it's possible for in sort of Asian American community for you to have two people who, in by American standards, have identical politics, right, they're identically right wing on things like racial politics, and they're like edi crime stuff, you know, who are incredibly sexist and like humblophobic, but they absolutely fucking hate each other because one of them is a pro CCP Chinese nationalist and one of them is an anti CCP Chinese nationalists.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: But this kind of like you know, what's been able to kind of weld that shit together is is this sort of like republican anti black off on crime campaign combined with all of this sort of media sphere stuff.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, it's Shad's rebellion all over again.
Speaker 5: Like just that at least you're not them, yeah, you know.
Speaker 7: And and yeah, like the simplicity of that right wing message of just like here's all your problems all your problems.
Speaker 5: Are those fools, and I'll just get rid of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we can solve this with more cops and Donald Trump. We just solved war.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, man.
Speaker 7: So form my end, I looked at the black and Latino vote. I can run through the black one pretty quick because it wasn't as interesting of a story and also because you know, we did an episode with Garrison Hayes from Mother Jones on like black conservatives and Trump voters. And I think ultimately it comes down to the fact of like the frans fer anand thought of like, okay, what is what is liberation?
Speaker 5: Like what is freedom?
Speaker 7: And is it you know, my ability to flourish without any hindrances or is it a collective ending of suffering?
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: So like, in other words, it's like this, this plantation would be better if I ran the big house rather than being like, burn the fucking big house down because there shouldn't be slavery, you know I'm saying, So like that sort of approach to a gain and the reality of why know, the system's not for me in a lot of ways. That's what's interesting about the understanding of it. So when you would look at somebody like a black person, like why would you vote for this racist man? And it's like, well, the same reason I would vote for every other racist man, you know what I'm saying, Like, which, find me one that ain't you know, so, like that attitude is already there, so you know, obviously all of us would push back and say that, like, well, you choosing yourself is also a vote against yourself and is destroying your community. Clearly, it's never worked at some point, you know, which I'm sure y'all can relate to. It's like I feel two ways when I see like black people, specifically black men, sit at this table, because I'm like, I can imagine the first joke that you kind of let slide that was like, I was kind of weird, but I don't know, it's no big deal. I'll get over it. Maybe maybe they didn't mean it, you know. And then that joke gets more and more intense, and then all of a sudden, you sitting in a room and they cracking jokes about Haitians eating pets and that Puerto Rico's a track, you know what I'm saying. It's like it didn't start there. It started with you accepting and just being like all lighten up, and at some point somebody said something to you and you made a face and they went, dude, just it's a joke, man, it's a joke. Come on, bro, you know me, You know me, right, you've had that. You know what I'm saying, and I know that happened a year ago, and now look at you. You know, so like eventually, the point I'm making is like, at some point you are going to have to lay down all of your identifying factors to be able to stay at this table.
Speaker 5: And I hope that. I hope that thirty year fixed mortgage was worth it.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 7: So the black story is that it's like, what is going to get us the financial or get me specifically minds the financial freedom that the Democrats kept promising but never get to us. But that's, like I said, that's a much less interesting story, in my opinion, than the Latino vote, which we.
Speaker 5: Could talk about after this break.
Speaker 7: All right, so we're back now, sixty four percent right of air quotes, Latinos voted right wing this year. Now I feel like this, well I don't feel like I know this needs a lot of unpacking, because first of all, what the hell is the Latino, right is the first question that you have to ask. And essentially I find I figure, I think I've come to the fact that what America means by that is you were colonized by Spain, so in some way you kind of speak somewhat Spanish, unless it's Brazil, in which case you were colonized by the Portuguese. Right, So it's like, you don't even know what you mean, Like y'all don't even know.
Speaker 4: What you mean.
Speaker 3: It's sort of it's agree that, like one of our primary demographic categories was invented by a coalition of like Maoists and like Vietnamese Merxist Leninist that fell apart immediately the moment that China invade Vietnam. And that's only our second most incoherent democratic category.
Speaker 5: It's completely incoherent.
Speaker 7: Right, So you have exactly you have my wife, my life partner, who is born in la but she is a first gen she grew up in southern Mexico.
Speaker 5: She is first gen Mexican.
Speaker 7: But she's like, I identify as indigenous and it's and it's true. She is like even when we did the DNA test, if you believe in that stuff. She's like, but you could just look at her and I'm like, you're incing, Like you know what I'm saying. Just I'm just you're looking at her, and she's like, yeah, you're right, Like we are overwhelmingly vast majority of her DNA is indigenous. So for her, if you check a demographic box, it's like are you Are you Hispanic? She's like, why would I identify with the colonizer? So no, I'm not Hispanic, Like they're the colonizer. Right. Whereas you ask a Puerto Rican or a Cuban or Dominican, they say Hispanic, but they just mean it differently. One because the island was called Hispanola, y I'm saying, so like they just mean something totally different. And Dominicans as black as hell, yo said, And then what about a Cuban. The way that they relate to America is also incredibly different, especially because of like you know, I'm pretty sure y'all y'all room knows, is if you could touch dry ground, right, And that really just had to do with the fact that we just ain't fuck with Castro. So the way that they relate to even immigration is completely different. Because if you could make it to the Soy, if you go back to Florida, you're a citizen. So they just didn't go through the same things that people from Central and South America went through to be able to become a citizen. And on top of all that, California, Arizona and Texas is Mexico. So like so some of them a and immigrants. They was here, like the border move we didn't cross the border, the border across US. So you put all that together mixed with a group of people who might be ninth generation Mexican that people that don't speak Spanish, they're no samples as you call it, like, well't even speak Spanish. You know what I'm saying that, Like you love all these people who speak so many different languages and have so many different understandings of who they are, and you just call them Latino and then you get this number. But if you're willing to accept the absurdity of it, then then we could talk about the actual Like what actually happened here and what you find are two things that are seem so reductive. But as you look at the exit polls and even like interviews that I that I personally conducted. If you set aside the person that has been just cooked by just the right wing information, like set that person aside, that is just you've just your brain's been cooked.
Speaker 5: Like you set that aside, and you look at this.
Speaker 7: There are two very reductive things that just continue to just be true. One is, Latin America is very religious. It's still Catholic, and machismo is a big part of their culture. And it just it seems so reductive, but it's but it's what happened. You know, this is still a very patriarchal culture. And you know, as anecdotal and as running joke as it is that like if you have a Latina daughter and she's bringing because again they're very traditional. That's why I'm saying I'm using cisgender things. It's like you bring a boy over your grandma, all your theas are watching you make him a plate. You have to go over there and make him a plate and sit it in front of him or you going to be judged. This is just the culture, you know, so it's no surprise that that is not going to play into how you vote.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 7: And then secondly, the religious thing in the sense that like this actually like really blew my mind. And a couple interviews I had I wanted to talk to specifically Latina women, because I was like, it just seemed as though there was just a triple layer of shit you'd have to swallow to be able to go this route, right, And my main question was like, what was the non negotiable and was there a line that Trump and by extension, the Republican Party could cross, like's the where's the line?
Speaker 5: What is the too far line? Right?
Speaker 7: And they landed on a few things. It was crazy, like, after talking to three different women, they all kind of landed on the same things.
Speaker 5: It was abortion, right.
Speaker 7: They were like, at the end of the day, this is untenable, and to which I pushed back where I was like, well, Trump's not anti abortion. And what they all said was like, we could deal with the sixteen week like I could deal with the sixteen week thing, obviously, because again they are women and they're not completely pilled. They're like, we understand that there are situations that happened right that just are untenable.
Speaker 5: And then the next thing that they said was.
Speaker 7: Like, which was the part that like really just kept putting my brain in a pretzel, was we are really big on anti sex trafficking and the the idea for us on this knowing that like, okay, so the right wing stole that, like they don't believe it. They stole that concept and they wrapped everything around it, right. But one of them mentioned how she couldn't vote for Hillary because she heard rumors about child stuff, and she's I mean she's referring to pizzagate, you.
Speaker 4: Know, yeah, yeah, it's just cute shit.
Speaker 7: Of which I was able to push back to be like, well that was, you know, it was debunked, like, and she was like, I just don't want to I just don't like I just don't like how they move. I don't trust Bill and how he behaved in the Oval office.
Speaker 5: And it's like you're looking around, like are.
Speaker 4: You They were both of that played like I'm like.
Speaker 7: She even said she was like but the Epstein thing, and I'm like, well, they're all I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't understand.
Speaker 7: I don't understand how you don't see this connection, right, and to which they both said, oh, no, we see it.
Speaker 5: You're again.
Speaker 7: Find me someone that's not nasty, is their answer. Find me someone that's not corrupt, Find me someone that's not nasty. At least he's going to save the babies, was the thing. And then the next question I had about them was the anti immigration thing, the borders, right, and we're talking to people who are one in two, some of them three generations removed.
Speaker 5: And one of one of them gave me an example.
Speaker 7: Of a family members in law who got deported fifty years old, got deported from something they did when they were nineteen. It's like it's tough, like this was a hard working man who's done his best, who you know, has has done everything they could and it's got it. So I asked her, like, yo, do you think that so do you think that that's unfair? No, she was like, our family waited in line, Our family did everything they needed to do. We fought. We came to this same thing. We came to this country because we believed in the dream and we fought for it, you know, and we and we did it right, you know obviously like with the Mexican like sort of like work ethic of like no excuses, just work. We can't stand for no cheaters. We don't believe in stuff like that. You have to work for yours right, And we come here. There's no cuts in front of the lines. There's no shortcuts. You do the work right, and if you cheat, you go to the back of the line.
Speaker 5: That's just what it is. So she's like, like, he's talking about criminals.
Speaker 7: I'm not a criminal. He's talking about criminals. Yeah, you know, that's not me. I'm a hard working citizen, you know. So that sort of mindset, and then she said, at the end of the day.
Speaker 5: We came for the dream. I'm here to work, you know.
Speaker 7: And if I put in the work, if my family puts into work, we succeed. That's what this country's for. You're fucking it up for all of us. You cheating the system is fucking it up for all of us. And so that sort of like I can swallow the racist shit because I don't give a fuck about you anyway, because I already know you don't give a fuck about me. I'm just here to get mine. So for them, at least according to the way they're explaining it, is like the prejudice line is not a line they worried about.
Speaker 5: That's something I've already accepted, you know.
Speaker 7: But what is a line is oddly enough, treatment of women and the treatment of children and the ability to flourish. And then lastly for the men, it's what we know, like just the Mano spheares cooked our kids.
Speaker 5: It just cook them, you know.
Speaker 7: And it dovetailed so well into the Latino machismo and even on the black shit. Like I knew we were in trouble when the hood niggas was talking, was running around here saying they was gonna vote for Trump because it's because they understand it. It's like you either get on or get out. Like I'm here, I'm gonna get with my You either form me or against me.
Speaker 5: This is what we're doing. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: Right, I'm gonna let you be you know, as as derogatory as this is, like, I'm gonna let you be a man. You go fight what you gonna fight. And the Democrats are gonna turn your sons and the daughters. I don't rob like that's the that's the thought.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying. It's like, okay, well well fuck it, let's just get ours. You know what I'm saying. That simplicity of a message.
Speaker 7: It just resonated while you have which didn't bother me, but you have somebody like Obama coming in there like somebody's uncle.
Speaker 5: Basically like you.
Speaker 7: Young niggas need to turn pull up your pants, stop acting like thugs, and get in line.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: It's like, all right, okay, uh you know, to me, I don't bother me because I'm like, well, yeah, you're somebody's uncle, like you are that oh you of course that's how you talk, you know. But the street dudes, it's like, look, man, I don't need this, Like I don't need this Harvard grad like pretty ass like rich nigga to tell me what it's like. You was never out You weren't out here, you weren't in the trenches. You know what I'm saying. Like you're a millionaire. I don't like you. You barely want to oh because you can hoop? Oh so you like basketball? You one of us, you know what I'm saying. So I just think that that like you've already got yours, so let me get mine. Is like, at the end of the day, was so appealing to this particular demographic and it just made sense.
Speaker 5: So that's why they voted that way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think there's there's sort of like angles of this two that connect with what was going on with the Datian Americas, so partially also the religion angle is a thing that isn't talked about enough and also isn't talked about enough with Asian Americans, like particularly Chinese Americans. There's a whole bunch of how do I explain this in a way that.
Speaker 3: You know, the sort of like zeal of a convert shit, where like the first generation converts are the most nuts. Yeah, so that's like a huge portion of like Chinese Christians or these like first generation evangelical converts, and so you get these just like really terrifying, like ferociously right wing stuff that there's just kind of like just kind of eats everything around it. And I think the second part is I think it's an interesting distinction here too, because I think there's like a kind of differing parts of the storysness of the kind of like we came here to work thing, because that was the Asian American thing from maybe twenty years ago, and the last ten years and especially post twenty twenty has been people realizing that it's not real, yeah, and that you know, you work, you work, you work, you work, and this is this is actually also funny enough, exact same thing happening in China with sort of different political results because it's less it's you know, we're not dealing with yeah, like the same kind of sort of immigrant culture stuff. But the Chinese American version of this was like, Okay, we need to figure out who to blame for this, and they were like, well, yeah, okay, it's because of like all of this crime shit, because like people are going to prison for one million years, and like I see a black person and there's like a homeless person who I have to like walk past every day. This is the reason why like our fucking dream died. And that was a really sort of appealing message people. And it's the same kind of thing with the people who went for the affirmative action stuff, where it was like the people who you know are like in all seriousness, like we're running into kind of like oh no, there actually is a sort of wall that you hit, yeah, where it doesn't matter how hard you work, like there's only so many spots at the university, there's only so many totally, you know, there's only so much so far you can go, And hitting that wall drove a bunch of people you.
Speaker 7: Make a good point, you know, and and I imagine the same sort of reaction to that within the Chinese community is going to be the same with ours, where it's like, okay, you gon' learn that you are not welcome to that table. You know, they will always choose themselves. And you know, you could dress yourself up, you know, and just to the degree for which you can alter all identifying factors. For us, it's like to the degree for which you can remove your blackness is to the degree for which you're welcomed in this table. But at some point you can't take it off. It a'll rub off, you know, dress your kids up.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 7: That was like for us with respectability politics, like teach your kids to speak proper English and dress them up and don't let them wear hoodies. Okay, good luck, you know, like jay Z's seminal work. Look, OJ said, I'm not black, I'm OJ okay, Like you know, it's just they will never accept you. The world you're trying to get into will never accept you. And this step towards trying to be accepted by this world is working against you and everyone else behind you.
Speaker 5: You know, But this is America. You can vote whatever you want to.
Speaker 3: Vote well, and I think twenty twenty eight, like for us, was that moment right where like, you know, everyone kind of got knocked out of the.
Speaker 4: You know, whichever way you sort of fragmented politically.
Speaker 3: It's like, that's when we got knocked out of the sort of obamam multiracial dream. Was when you realize that, like all of this fucking progress you've made isn't going to stop people from killing you in the street. Yes, And the reaction to that was like, and I saw this on the left where like a bunch of people basically splintered off and became like hardline Chinese nationalists because they were afraid, and they were like, Okay, well, you know, here's this thing that we have, this like strong state that will protect us, and we just have to fight for it.
Speaker 4: Here it's like, well that didn't work, right, you know.
Speaker 3: And then you have a lot of other people who started to recognize that this wasn't going to happen right, that like the thing that they had bought into was a lie. But the part of it that they believed they were just like, well, okay, if we can just like fucking get the black people out of here and like we can get the cops in yea, you know, we can go back to living in our fucking fantasy world. Yeah, And that's been just the sort of dominant response to it. And I don't know, it's bleak, but it's it's not something that can't be overcome, but it's gonna require like, it's going to require organizing, and it's going to require the left to not be about fucking making white people feel more anti imperialist, which has been what fucking politics ordizationan Americans has been. And until that shit at Shedison's like, you're gonna keep seeing this shit accelerate.
Speaker 7: Yeah, man, has there been any if the right term is like vision casting among this community, because like I say that to say, albeit a very small, very small fraction of voices, but among some of the black thinkers is like a serious consideration of pursuing like creating a third party of just like like but let's like take it serious this time, like for real, for real. Yeah, you know, like there's you know, it's, like I said, it's very small and like obviously, like my grandchildren will probably be the ones to see any sort of beginnings of that actually taking route but it's still like, you know, people are some of the things that are being talked about right now, like we should like really like really consider it.
Speaker 5: Is there anything like that going on?
Speaker 3: No, Like, and this is this social part of the problem is like the Asian American intellectual class is like one of the most bankrupt classes in the entire country.
Speaker 6: There's nothing.
Speaker 3: It's a wasteland out there. Like it's oh my god, yeah, like it's it's so bad. It's it's like all of the art in the media, the culture and the sort of analysis is all I've talked about in this show a decent amount, but it's all wrapped up in this sort of like oh, you two can like integrate and become a small business owner. And those people, you know, the people who leave that and people who did that, don't actually have any interesting ideas. Yeah they have. They have the incredibly narrow ideas of their class. The incredible narrow idea, incredibly narrow ideas of their class are completely useless for the sort of task we have ahead of us. Yeah, And and it's kind of working for them, yeah, I mean it's working for them, it's just it isn't working for anyone else.
Speaker 5: Exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and like God, like I don't know, like the people who are supposed to be like Wesley Yang, who was supposed to be like the great sort of like new Asian intellectual is now this just completely cooked, right winger Like some of some of the people have been like turning on like some of the like the big podcasters have been like turning on trans people, and I'm just like, well, fuck all you guys eat shit basically, So yeah, it's it's the situation's bad.
Speaker 4: It's also the fragmentation is so powerful because you're dealing with so many kinds of like linguistic lions and lines between people who've been here for ten generations and people who just like walk off the boat yesterday. There's you know, and so the fragmentation I think helps prevent a more coherent sphere. But like it's it's bleak out there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 7: Obviously, like the black queer community is obviously incredibly vibrant and strong and organized, and you know, at least from the part of the intersection that I'm a part of, you know, the voice coming out of that that space of like a lot of times of like very much prophetic and like you know, very much like truth telling that you hear from again, Like, you know, black queer community is like from our perspective, they continue to be like five steps ahead of us, you know of like where we need to go as as a as a people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this was like the sex worker orgs for us.
Speaker 3: But then because this is another thing with left just kind of shit the bed right, Like this is a thing with Bernie where Bernie voted for SIS to Falster right and there's never been a reckoning about that at all. Yeah, and so you know, like the stuff that could have come out of that just kind of never did, and we never got the kind of integration and the kind of politics that we could have had if people had been like five percent, well not five so they would be able to require them to move their positions a bit. But like people had actually cared about sex workers, we wouldn't be here right now.
Speaker 5: But you told a different story. Yeah, yeah, well that was informative.
Speaker 7: This has been, Uh, I don't know, how do I how do we describe what.
Speaker 5: This has been?
Speaker 4: Well, miya, you know, I think I closed this right, Like this situation isn't hopeless.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, there's there's been a lot of good tenanted organizing going on, Like there's a lot of kinds of stuff that can and do work. It's knows to the grindstone time, right, it is time to lock in, time to organize, and these communities can be organized.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we just haven't yet.
Speaker 7: And you know, yeah to your point, like for me, like all information is helpful, like like somebody's lying to you, like it's it's good information to know that this person thinks that that's something worth lying about, you know, like you just you just told me something about yourself that the fact that you think that that's worth lying about. So I say all that to say this understanding a better understanding of like it's hard to reason reason with somebody when they're hungry, you know, so just a better understanding of what are these communities actually prioritize, what do they actually value? And obviously, like you know, the dims and and unfortunately even the left was just like just swinging a miss guys, Like this type of thing, like you said, is not hopeless. It's like, now there's an understanding of like, okay, so you value the hustle, all right, well, let me tell you in the ways for which the choice you just made is working against your hustle, you know, like or now now here, Here are ways for which you can, like you said no to the grind and accomplish these goals in a way that's not so detri mental to the people around you. Yeah, you know, I'll with it. Like, I'm not hopeless either. I think that we just need to think about the word our word choice and what hells we willing to die on and be like, this is what we meant when we said this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hey, We'll be back Monday with more episodes every week from now until the heat death of the Universe.
Speaker 4: It Could Happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 2: For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool Zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources for It Could Happen here listed directly in episode descriptions.
Speaker 6: Thanks for listening.