Speaker 1: Get ready for more must watch TV from Vice Sports introduce to The Grudge, a new series that will relive and unpack many of sports most intense personal and team rivalries, exploring the egos, history, and high stakes drama that turn ordinary interaction into unforgettable battles.
Speaker 2: Delivering something for everyone. Each controversy Lace episode of The Grudge digs into the grievances between teams and the top sports personalities in football, basketball, MMA, baseball, hockey, golf, and more.
Speaker 1: Narrator Will Compton, former NFL linebacker and co host of The Busting with the Boys, will be joined by castle personalities including retired NFL wide receiver Steve Smith, senior, four time Stanley Cup champion Darren McCarty, former MLB player and manager Bobby Valentine, and renowned NBA journalist Howard Beck, and others who tell the stories of these animosities.
Speaker 2: You'll also see nostalgic archival footage from witnesses, fans, players and coaches closely connected to that week's story. The Grudge premiere's Wednesday, March twenty six, at ten pm Eastern Time, with the new episodes every Wednesday only.
Speaker 3: On Vice TV.
Speaker 2: Go to vicetv dot com to find your cable channel.
Speaker 3: What's up, everybody?
Speaker 1: Welcome back to The Draymond Green Show with My dog the Legend. Baron Davis himself bed what's up my brother? What's uping?
Speaker 3: My guy was going on? Man, shit you hooping? How you feeling? You look good?
Speaker 1: I appreciate it, brother, I feel great. You know it's that time of the season. You're getting your boy to get ready to go for the playoffs. Locking it all the way in. I feel great out there.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 1: We got to you know, like I said before, we got a chance. You give me a chance.
Speaker 3: I turned it to a different basketball player, Condens. That's what I say.
Speaker 2: Get going in this tournament. I can't the hell out here. I got the Spartans in U c l A. And in the finals that's fire with U c l A beating them again. Y'all gotta get there. Y'all gotta get there. Hopefully y'all make it now.
Speaker 3: We got it.
Speaker 2: We we cool. We got every matchup. We got a better matchup than any team, and that.
Speaker 3: Team just not that good. And that's the problem.
Speaker 1: So you look at the other team and you like, yeah, we got a better match up. You know, like because that team ain't that strong. The problem is, y'all team ain't that strong defense defense winning championship.
Speaker 3: I can't knock that way, you know.
Speaker 2: And we play defense, and we play defense when I'm looking though, next too, we number one the team that being the number one though I.
Speaker 3: Don't really know if we but our defense crazy.
Speaker 2: Y'all got you know, y'all got a little baby j Rich, Yeah, baby Rich, Yeah, that's my dog in the tournament. You gotta let the dogs run wild on offense, and I think make Croning gon let Eric day You're gonna see. You're gonna see these dudes turning the offensive guys in the tournament because it's you know, the floor too big to be doing a lot of yelling. You know, you can't. You got to coach strategically in the tournament. And I think Mike Cronin defensively specialist offensively he gonna have if he pulled back a little bit of them range. You know the problem, We're gonna get another Jewsang we in the Jewsang hockens uh Tyler camp.
Speaker 3: We're going back to the final four.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: You know the problem I have with these U C L A conversations as you always make it out to be like I hate U.
Speaker 3: C l A. I have nothing against U. Cl but the way you know we recruited you with the way No, y'all didn't recruit me, but the way the way you be framing it though, you be framing it like I don't like U. C l A. I have nothing against you. See I actually I told you my kids love you CLA.
Speaker 2: I know we're in the same conference. Bro, you gotta you gotta feel around, y'all. Just we come out, we catch some son. That's why we lost in two games. We come out, we catch some son, we go back to the snow. Y'all are really in our conference, y'all just.
Speaker 3: Aid then we are. Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I came over there and got got that smacking we could. We can hang into Big Ten. I am not worried about nothing cracking in the Big Ten as far as U c l A coming in, give us a couple of years, will be the number one team in the Big Ten.
Speaker 1: Naughty all right there, it is five thousand dollars bet that in the next three years big U c l A do not win the Big Ten in regular season championship.
Speaker 3: Say no more, say no more.
Speaker 2: All right, we gotta talk about this defensive clinic though versus the Bucks. Now, you know, I say, you've been bothering, Bro, You've really been bothering Yohanny shot thirty one percent Louis field goal he had in over two years.
Speaker 3: You know what, Bro, you are holding all homes. Let me get you flowers, flowers. Let me tell you what today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me let me tell you what you're doing right now, Draymond Green. You are holding All Star opponents to forty two percent field goals twenty six percent three.
Speaker 3: Point field goal percentage this season. Wow, that's up.
Speaker 2: So so you doing your your thing, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Brother? Like you get you getting to the money. Back to Draymond Green.
Speaker 2: Even Steve Kerr said, you know, you one of the greatest defensive minds and greatest defensive players that he's ever witnessed being. You know, an elder statement in the league is super vetted in the league right to be able to come into this season. And y'all been turning. Y'all been chopping wood, right, y'all been helling mediocre med yok, hella mediocre but good right, And now that y'all starting to turn the corner. People starting to recognize, Oh, Trey been doing this shit all year, right, I've been saying it because that's my goal for you, bro. We gotta get Defensive Player of the Year. You know, we gotta turn up some offense, we gotta get some more rebounds. And you know, looking at that game against the Bucks, just the way the way you came out and play against the superstars of this league, that's what we want to see, no doubt, Bro, that challenge we need more. We need more of that, you know what, we need way more of that. That's what makes the league great. Are people stepping up for these challenges. What is the superstar gonna do against this defensive dude? What are these two superstars gonna do when they're putting the best defensive player on the and and you run into the fade? You know I think, uh so, I gotta give your I gotta get your kudos.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: You know, coming down the stretch of the season, you got my vote for Defensive Player to you, and everybody needs to pay attention to it.
Speaker 3: Go check the facts that part.
Speaker 2: Forty two percent, twenty six percent from three and you talking about all stars.
Speaker 3: The guys, they ain't talking about somebody getting here.
Speaker 2: We ain't talking about somebody getting lucky, like you know, like a Dylan Brooks just kidding.
Speaker 3: I love Dylan Brooks. That's my dumb Hey.
Speaker 2: I told Dylan Brooks he can be a he needs to channel a little bit what you're doing. But like nobody is like the surprise guys are surprise guys. But when it's the superstars that say.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I think you know, for I like myself when you get to when you had the opportunity to face some superstars, like that's what that's what it's about, right, Like that's the one eighty two games or of course of eighty two game season. To think that every night you're going to be like, oh, I got this, that's my matchup. I'm at this point in the career, it's not quite realistic, as much as you try to push yourself to get as close to that as possible, but it's not really that realistic. But when you get the stars lined up, like you're looking at that schedule, you're like, oh, I got I got him tonight, I got him tonight.
Speaker 3: I'm ready to go. And when I came in the league, BD.
Speaker 1: That's what you had to build yourself up on, right, Like playing against the Blake Griffins, the LaMarcus aldres Is, the z Bos.
Speaker 3: Like when those matchups.
Speaker 1: Came around, you had to be ready to go or you were going to get embarrassed.
Speaker 3: And so you know, I still kind of embody that. Like when you got the Stars coming in town, you got to be ready to go.
Speaker 1: You gotta like that's when you really test who you are, you know what I'm saying, Like, Yeah, you can be good defensively all season and that's great, But when the stars roll into town, because this is a star league, make no mistake about it, when they roll into town, how do you fare it in? Where's your mentality? Where's your mindset when the stars rolling in town? Because guess what, everybody's watching when the stars roll and the town is so for me personally, you know, I always look forward to that opportunity. And by the way, not all not all the time, do you fare well like you don't when you're playing against stars. They stars for a reason, you know what I'm saying. So you don't always make out well, but the challenge, come on to take on that challenge. The opportunity to make out well is what get me going. And so we're coming in on the back to back. I got Jannis down to the kompo, you know, Greek free, he running through everybody, everybody get downhill. Ain't nothing you can do. What's your mindset coming into that game? And my mindset coming into that game was I just want to make it tough on him. I just want to try to make him uncomfortable. Not that I'm gonna come in and I'm gonna stop him. I'm or lock him up, because the reality is you don't really stop stars.
Speaker 3: You don't really lock stars up. Right.
Speaker 1: They're gonna shoot the ball as many times as they want, right, so they're usually going to get their numbers.
Speaker 3: But how hard can I make it on them? That's it's always my mindset.
Speaker 1: It's never like I'm about to lock this dude down, not really a realistic feat, but I'm about to make it real hard on him tonight, and he gonna know it's hard.
Speaker 3: It's hard. Everything he do it gotta be hard.
Speaker 1: So that's always my mindset when I'm facing the stars, and you know, against Giannis the other day, so he shot thirty one percent, which was his lost field goal percentage in over two years. Felt great about that because, ay, as you know, BD, coming in on the back to back, it's a little different, beasts. You know what I'm saying. They've been different. They been sitting in the hotel watching us play last night. So you're coming in on that back to back legs feeling a little different. I will tell you something I did the other day. I saw KG maybe a couple of months ago. He was and he was talking about what he started doing on back to backs. And you know, as he got further in his career, he like, Yo, I start doing something on back to backs.
Speaker 3: He changed everything for me.
Speaker 1: So the other day after we played, I'm like, man, KG said he was doing this.
Speaker 3: KG wanted the legends. As we know, I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: Try it, and so I took a page out of KG book and I tried it. Bro, when I went into that back to back game, my legs, I was like, I didn't play that night before I went into that game, but I was picking up Yanna's four court. I don't pick up four court on the record. I went into that game, Bro, my legs fell out of this world. I was like, yo, I feel like I didn't play a game the other night, so let me take advantage of that. And man, so I went in with the mindset, you know, and you know, it was great to have a successful night like that against one, you know, two time MVP, one of the greats in our game. So I was locked in and I needed that, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I wanted that. I wanted that matchup challenge.
Speaker 1: Over the last five years, last five six years, me and Jiannis haven't played against each other a ton.
Speaker 3: Either he was hurt or I was hurt, you know.
Speaker 1: And so we haven't played against each other a ton over the last five sea years. And so anytime, like I said, anytime I get the opportunity to play against the greats.
Speaker 3: Man, I love those matchups. Yeah.
Speaker 2: When I played, and I can't believe this, I let the league in stills too twice and never made defensive player, no defensive team. That's crazy. That that's crazy. And on top of that, every time I stepped on the court, if I saw Kobe, I'm running over there. If I saw Jordan, I'm running to the fade. If I saw Iverson, I'm running to the faith. Right, anybody who was somebody I think for me, because I you know, I pride myself on defense, and I don't think a lot of people knew or remember that, but I pride myself on defense. And when you Garden mcgrady's, uh d Wade's, Jason Kids, Steve Nash's to Park or many you gotta be like, Okay, what's happening?
Speaker 3: You know what is it gonna And on the light night you get off who will give you a twenty if you make it crazy?
Speaker 2: It really Or or you got Mo Williams, That ain't no off night because Mo Williams gonna run it.
Speaker 5: Up on you, absolutely, Mogan. You got Mike Baby, that ain't no off night. It ain't no bro, he ain't no off nights. It ain't no off nights.
Speaker 3: The long way. You got Big Shot over there.
Speaker 2: Yeah he got And you got Chancy over there, and you got Brandon Roy, you know, over there in Portland. So you know, for me, it was always like I ain't gonna be able to stop these dudes, but I'm gonna try to. And I wanted to ask you, like when I used to think about it, it's really great offense beat great defense one hundred times absolutely. And when you have a great defender and a great offensive player and you're going, you know, let's say it so back to back, you really just painting in gray, right, because if that like someone like Jannis, if he's struggling that night, that don't mean he gonna stop shooting. That don't mean he's gonna stop being aggressive. That don't mean that the last two minutes of the game, if it's close, like who cares what the percentage is, We know that he's gonna get you know, he's gonna get the ball, and he gonna he gonna be forced to make something happen. That's where that middle ground, that gray area is, right. So as a defender, you just you really just trying to throw the offensive dude off his rhythm. And I picked one thing. I know he like kind to take that away and see if his counter is working. But if an offensive dude get going, it's ain't nothing you can do the key thing you can do right, and it's all about sticking to it. And so I just appreciate the way you play defense.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: I watch the game. When I watch the games, I watch the games for passing, defense, turnovers obviously, and you know, where to make the best players. And I think you've been playing great, but you've been playing great on offense too. You got to keep the fucking offense. So you even went down the middle and dunk bro dunking like me. I can dunk like that.
Speaker 3: By the way.
Speaker 1: They came down, you have to push that. He was killing and I had to float. I've been pulling the float out the bag the last few games. I appreciate I've been pulling that out the bag, but no, I think obviously when Yeah, I'm like I said, I'm in playoff preparation. Excuse me, I'm in playoff preparation mode. And I know come playoff time, I'm going to have to score the basketball.
Speaker 3: Every year.
Speaker 1: Come playoff time, I have to score the basketball a little more. So I'm preparing myself for that. Also, we got a new team. You know, when when we had the older teams, they know when the playoffs come, Draymond going to shoot more. We got a new team, so I need these guys to understand what that looks like as well.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. So I'm trying to get him a glimpse of my guys.
Speaker 1: Also a glimpse of what that looked like as well, Like I'm not as laid back offensively as I am in the regular season. When to come playoff time, I'm way more aggressive, and so I'm trying to give guys a glimpse of that.
Speaker 3: Also understanding as well that we need to win these games.
Speaker 1: So I'm already locked into that playoff mode and trying to make sure I bring it offensively as well. I'll be one hundred percent honest with you, BD, I missed a couple threes the other night that I thought was cash. But outside of making sure I was putting Jimmy in position to get the ball where he wanted to catch and then allow him to make place for everybody else to just get into the right spot, my total focus on that game the other night was on the defensive side of Yeah, for sure, you can tell you my total and complete focus was on the defense side of the ball, because I knew that if I can come in and have a great game defensively with Steph out which we got to have a great game defensively with stuff, that I can help give us a chance to win.
Speaker 3: And so that was my only focus is.
Speaker 1: Putting him in getting Jimmy the ball where he wanted and then defensively trying to lock the whole court down.
Speaker 2: And I got a trick for you right when you're in that mentality right on the offensive end. Okay, So it's like first priority defense, Second priority, make sure I'm initiating as a point guard. The third priority yourself is priority is you have to laugh on offense, right, yeah, because now it's like, oh shit, I'm locking up.
Speaker 3: Oh y'all gonna give me this, Oh y'all gonna give me this.
Speaker 2: It's like you have to play light at yourself when you're so intense on this side, to where anything that you do an open shot a bucket laugh because it's almost like you're it's another arm of your defensive strategy of teasing the other team, you feel like, especially for.
Speaker 3: You, Like you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So now you like laughing and shit every time you score, and it's and it's and it's really just getting you loose, keeping you in flow. Right, So now you'll you'll still be aggressive, right because you'll take the opportunities because it's just like hey, all right, like I didn't come here to do this today, right, but I'll take everything you give me, right, and so just like I think adding that as that third element always for you. Oh you leave me open, great, Oh you're gonna let me drive great, Like I'll take any opportunity. Like I'm the defensive guy here, but i'm the playmaker guy here. But hey, if y'all want to give me opportunities, I'm gonna take the opportunities. I'm gonna take the opportunity, and I'm gonna take laugh about it, yeah, yeah, I can laugh about it. Does it just let your guard down?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: So when you get the ball, because you're so intense on defense and calling commands and offense and moving your brain. I'm watching and your brain and you're talking talking in there, and you get the ball sometimes.
Speaker 3: And it's like like you just shoot that motherfucker. You know what I mean. It's like, hold on, I'm wide open. Okay, pump it went in. Hey guess what look at I mean.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm telling you people are gonna be pissed too, especially in the playoffs, right.
Speaker 3: I think that's that element.
Speaker 2: Just a little smirk, a little laugh, a little you know whatever the music is, like that becomes your gift in your treat that the other team is giving.
Speaker 3: No no doubt. I appreciate that. Brother.
Speaker 1: Make sure, by the way, obviously you know trying to put this defensive player to your campaign together. I'm gonna continue to do that over these now thirteen games, which I feel like I've been doing all year.
Speaker 3: But it's saying that.
Speaker 1: Remember to describe to The Draymond Green Show with Baron Davis so you don't miss any episodes and.
Speaker 2: Don't forget to follow us on all social media at Draymon's show dub Nation.
Speaker 3: What is uh we cracking right now?
Speaker 6: Who's scoring big in the NBA this season? You are all the new ways to get in on the action at DraftKings sports Book and official sports betting partner of the NBA Slamsdishing the ball, cleaning the glass, get behind your favorite players. Prop bets you can make on DraftKings. It's fun the home of NBA player props. If you're ready to place your first bet, make it really simple. Pick how many points your favorite players going to score. Go to DraftKings Sportsbook. They have an app, download it make your pick. If you're a first timer, here's something special new DraftKings customers. All you have to do is bet five bucks, get one hundred and fiftyen bonus bets instantly, so take it to the rack with DraftKings sports Book Every Point Counts. Download their app takes ninety seconds. Use the code column clin to get one hundred and fifty bones in bonus bets betting just five only on DraftKings.
Speaker 3: The Crown is yours.
Speaker 7: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler in New York called eight seven seven eight hope and Y, or text hope and Y four six seven three six nine in Connecticut. Help is available for problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino when resorting Kansas twenty one and over. Agent eligibility varies by jurisdiction Voyd and Ontario New customers only. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issue wins four additional terms and responsible gaming resources see dkang dot co, slash audio.
Speaker 2: After Tuesday Night game, Like I said, Steve kursaid, Tahoe Yannis to five field goals shows why he's still one of the great defenders in.
Speaker 3: The world, in the world, in the world, Craig, in the world, the world.
Speaker 2: Lockdown, around the world, Chraig, just tell me your perspective. What separates you from the other defensive player, to your candidates, Like, what's the like paint the picture of you and the other defensive candidates.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 1: I think for me just never been a liability in any situation, you know, and no matter what the situation is, defensively unfit for man. I think, you know, if there's anything that separates me from from the rest of the guys, which, by the way, Evan Mobley incredible, incredible defender, has incredible tools, incredible length, great shot blocker, Dyson Dames incredible defender. What he's doing on the still front, gotta take your hat off to him. Trip my young fella, incredible defender, what he protecting the rim special.
Speaker 3: But I think for me personally, I protect the realm.
Speaker 1: I can guard, to pick and roll, I can trap, to pick and roll and still guard my man without help, which I think is a skill that I have in the NBA that I don't think anyone else possessed. I don't think there's anyone in the NBA that can trap Damien Linard on the boss reen and get back to you. Honest, When Yann's catched the ball in the pocket with no help, I don't think there's anyone can do that. And so in turn, being able to guard two guys in one possession and not force someone to have to help me, I think that covers up a lot of mistakes. I think that says a lot of energy for guys that don't need to make extra rotations. And so I think that's what separates me largely. And then also my basketball IQ. I think I see plays way before they happen.
Speaker 3: You know, I can spot something, i can sniff something out in a heartbeat, and.
Speaker 1: I'm quick enough. I'm strong enough to react and address the issue. You know, if that's the guy, I want to come downhill and deliver a blow. And when I say deliver a blow, I mean that shoulder. I can take the shoulder and still hold my ground. You know, if that's the guy, he's fast and he's trying to get downhill, I'm quick enough to get downhill with him and still get an attempt, you know, effect try to affect a shot at the rem And so I think that's what separates me from guys is just being able to obviously guard positions one through five.
Speaker 3: Nightly, no matter who that one is or who that five is.
Speaker 1: But like I said, just my IQ and reading the place, I take great a great deal of pride and fucking up your favorite team's offense. You know, as much as I enjoy locking one guy down, I take more pride in locking your entire offense down and making your offense your your coach has to figure something else out, making your offense have to make adjustments. I take more pride in that. And so for me, there's a lot of pride and how you guarding your matchup, how you guarding the ball. But I almost enjoy more messing up your offense from the weeks out. I think when you start talking about guys who can guard the ball and guys who can be great help side defender, I think I'll be lead at all of.
Speaker 3: That, and I love it. I love it. I think that's what I'm serious. I agree.
Speaker 2: I would say when you're looking at the candidates, a lot of a lot of the candidates or help side defenders, weak side shot blockers, plugging the whole. Great defenders get a lot of blocks or get a lot of stills, but it's not on ball yep.
Speaker 3: For you.
Speaker 2: If I'm a coach and we're playing against the Warriors, of course I'm worried about Stephan Steph Curry when I'm also worried about Dreams Green. And I think the one thing that you said that that you take it to another notch is you're a disruptor. It's not just the pick and roll. It's the pick and roll, the back door cut. You know, you find your way into the mix in every play. And so just like offense, which I think you know you're involved in every play, but defensively you're you're involved in every play and what's happening on the weak side, right, And I think that disruptor, right is what really separation because in order to disrupt someone's ecosystem, you have to know what everybody does. And a lot of times people get credit for being you know, good defenders on teams that win, score a lot of points, you know, things like that, but you got to look at where's the disruption. When a coach comes in and they're going over out to report, coaches usually don't go over defense of players. That's one that separates you because you have to be in the pregame discussion going into the game because you actually you cost commotion from the time the game starts. So they got to pay attention to Draymond Green. Not only is he a great defender, but he'll talk you out your game. He'll foul you out your game, he'll push you out your game, he'll talk shit to the coach, he'll call one of your plays out in the most opportune line, right, And that's intelligence. And so intelligence, you know, I just want people to know. Intelligence is something that is earned. It's earned. It's like a PhD.
Speaker 3: Yeah that.
Speaker 2: I gotta give you that, like you know your PhD. You know, from a defensive just intelligence perspective, I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Man, doctor defense.
Speaker 2: Go Hard's say, Hard, we need some doctor defense.
Speaker 3: We need some doctor defense.
Speaker 2: Sons, come on, man, and Chase's good.
Speaker 1: Speaking of defensive Player of the Year, I think somebody said to me the other night, which is always a constant reminder. They asked me a question, is it crazy that Tim duncan never won a Defensive Player of the Year, Which I couldn't believe that.
Speaker 3: I can't believe that either. Let me take that back, I can believe it because I knew it.
Speaker 1: But I still can't believe the fact that Timmy d never won a Defensive Player to your Award.
Speaker 3: It's crazy. It makes no sense to me. But they were kind of asking me why, and what I wanted to ask you, is I lot tim Duncan are there any other players in the league that, your surprise, has never won a defensive Player to your Award? King and Martin Ka Martin was the hell of a defender King and Martin.
Speaker 2: King and Martin was a lot like you, bro. Yeah, he was a lot like yeah. And man, he switched on to me. And if he foil you, you're getting found its horror file. And so you gotta think about you know, when somebody like that that's gonna fil you hard, guard you hard, and we'll push you in the stands and ready for the scrap.
Speaker 3: So there's a certain.
Speaker 2: Like, Okay, I got I gotta become a little bit softer. And my approach with a Kenya Martin, I say Kobe too.
Speaker 3: Kobe definitely should have wanted a different.
Speaker 2: Because he picks up every challenge, every superstar if it's two superstars, right, he stepped up to the challenge and I think a lot of times, like when people looking at defenders, they looking, oh, he scored through, or Kobe and t Mak matched up, and they're looking at the offense and it's like Kobe Man thirty, t mac at may I forty. But you gotta look at the game to see how he stepped.
Speaker 3: Up to the chat.
Speaker 2: It's like, absolutely a defender don't care about getting crossed, crossed up or dunked on or the game winning shot because that's I gotta win more of those than I lose, you know. But they gonna play those highlights forever, forever, forever, you know. And then I would probably say, before you say.
Speaker 1: Another one, let's just give you a hit in gym makes complete sense of why Ken Martin is the way he is.
Speaker 3: That brother was born in Saginaw, Michigan.
Speaker 8: Okay, Okay, so he got camar from the saga was born say, okay, call blood in a different way, different way, So shout out, shout out to k Mark.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to talk about this, but Jimmy talked about how you get mad and you get help on defense.
Speaker 1: If you're gonna watch that third quarter, I kept looking at the bench going crazy because they kept getting threes and it's y'all overhelping, and I'm looking at the bench like Joe, stop overhelping. And so I'm literally starting to lose my mind. Now I'm like, yo, this is frustrating the shit out of me. And Steve timely se Kerl always is I'm ready to lose my mind because I'm like, man, I'm having a great defensive game right now, and y'all keep over helping. And I literally said to my guys, I said, Yo, y'all keep over helping. But he hasn't scored on me. So I don't understand why, like why all of a sudden, now is everyone overhelping? Is it like he hasn't scored, Like at least let's make him score on me first, And so I start getting mad, and as timely as Steve currs, He's like, Drey, relax, keep your head. We'll fix it in the fourth quarter, I promise. And I was ready to lose my god like yo. Now like now he's like Yan is starting to pile up assists. It's going to make it look like he's having a better game than he's really having, Like stop over helping, and he's like Drey I promise we're gonna fix it in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 3: Just relax. I promise. I'm like, all right.
Speaker 1: And it was so timely for me because it immediately locked me right back in and I'm like, all right, he know my issue, right, like, he know what's going on.
Speaker 3: He gonna allow me to lock back in.
Speaker 1: And short enough, we definitely fixed the issue, which is why we was able to get the lead back to where we got it. But man, I hate people help. It's not that I hate people helping me. I just want you to help when there's help need it, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I get completely blown by Yeah, pull over her help.
Speaker 1: But if if I'm side to side with a guy and I'm gonna make them take a tough shot, Like if I'm if I'm side to side with him, I'm gonna make them take a tough shot, I don't need you to help, because, hey, you're now going to open up a passing.
Speaker 3: Angle for him if they want to.
Speaker 1: Pass b If you overhelp, you're going to open up a rebound offensive rebound possibility for them because your if your guy cut in after you help and somebody don't make the next rotation, you open up that you know, you open up an offensive rebound. But then also as just as a competitor like this mono and mono, this man versus man.
Speaker 3: I want to see what I can do.
Speaker 1: And I feel like when you have someone on the defensive end that you don't have to help, then you don't have to get into rotations. In an NBA all NBA offenses are created to put teams in rotations because you want to play against a rotation that you can get downhill, you got shot, you can make the next pass and get like and so you want to play against rotations. And anytime you gotta go that don't need help, which means you don't have to pull another defender to help, and you don't have to pull another defender to trap the box, you don't have to pull another defender to go double team anytime.
Speaker 3: You don't have to do that.
Speaker 1: You're allowed to stay matched up everywhere else and take away passing.
Speaker 3: Angles and leave this guy to take a tough shot.
Speaker 1: And so I get so upset because I'm like, yo, if I need help, cool, Like, there's gonna be times in the game where yeah, you need help, and it just happens, you know, stuff happens fast on that court. But if I'm right there side to side with the guy, man don't come helping me. And then we open up something else because now I can't stop what we open up because I'm so locked in on this thing right here, I can't take away whatever you just opened up on the backside.
Speaker 3: I'm on the backside of the defense, and someone else go help.
Speaker 1: I actually don't mind, because I'll cover my guy in your guy until you get back. You look at the NFL. Derek Stingly just got paid thirty million dollars. Pass your second betweenteny six million. You know why those guys Jaylon Ramsey making twenty five million dollars.
Speaker 3: You know why those guys are making that much money. They lock up.
Speaker 1: But more importantly, you can put him on. You can take that guy. And I said, you have this receiver, go stop him, which then allows you to do so many other things with those other ten guys on the field, because I know I got that one guy that's going to hold his own over there. It just opens up what you can do elsewhere defensively. And so I like to be that guy for my team. But if I'm being that guy, allow me to be that guy and by the way, make y'all life so much easier, and so are you right. I start losing my mind sometimes when people are overly helping me because I don't need the help most of the time.
Speaker 2: And on top of that, if Giannis is passing the ball and getting assists he can, it's scary because now he can get in rhythm absolutely, And if I got to go start thinking about all this other shit, then any moment I let up off of a superstar those last four minutes of the game, that's they want to do all that right so they can catch a flow so they can be able to score.
Speaker 1: I actually find my rhythm on the offensive been through pass, you know what I'm saying, Like, that's that's actually how I find the rhythm. Some guys can get a rhythm by going to the free throw line one time and seeing it go in. I'm gonna tell you a huge play and I credit VP on this play that really saved me where I needed some help.
Speaker 3: I went.
Speaker 1: I went to help on Dame's drive and Dames stop. I pulled back a little bit. Dame started to drive again. I moved up and bp Janni's cut back door right underneath the rim and he would have had a wide open dunk. BP got a hand on it and knocked it away and we went the other way.
Speaker 3: He get that open dump, he get that open dump. Oh it could change things. Yeah, and that was such a big play man.
Speaker 1: But to you, to your point, all it takes is one bucket, one past won anything to get a great.
Speaker 3: Player like that, Like, all right, I got it now.
Speaker 1: And they get going and then you're stuck trying to put out the fires.
Speaker 3: So just don't yes, help if you need to help, but don't overhelp.
Speaker 2: I'm good help to be helpful. Don't help and be not helpful. That's what I say.
Speaker 1: Vice TV's hit show, Dark Side of the Ring is back. Professional wrestling is the only sport who's stars live in two worlds, balancing their in ring characters with real life. Dark Side of the Ring examines the complex intersections of fantasy and reality while uncovering wrestling's dark, untold history.
Speaker 2: This season will be another shocking view into professionals wrestlings unseen world from the first hand account of mc foley's career defining hell in the Cell icons Big Van Vader and Billy Graham to Billy Jack Hayes awaiting trial for second degree murder. Chargers Season six will be a continuation of the explosive untold stories in the world of wrestling.
Speaker 3: Dark Side of the Ring.
Speaker 1: Premiere is March twenty fifth at ten pm Eastern, with new episodes every Tuesday only on Vice TV.
Speaker 3: Go to vicetv dot com to find your cable channel.
Speaker 2: The Game versus the Knicks, my Knicks take that was a battle. I think it was a both of mental and a physical battle for you and Karl Anthony Towns. He played phenomenal for the Knicks, right, because you know, I let the Knicks. I think Karl Anthony Towns, if he plays physical like he played against you, right, there's a better ceiling for the Knicks. I wanted to get your thoughts on one his game that game because you know he was going at you too.
Speaker 3: I like that. I like that he was going He was absolutely loved that he came out with that mentality because as we spoke about the whole situation of what I said on the podcast, which you know him with him, Duck and Jimmy, but.
Speaker 2: We apologize anytime anytime somebody lose somebody, but absolutely what was said, what was said, We apologized, we moved forward. Obviously he heard about it. He had a chip on his shoulder, and.
Speaker 3: I like that, and I love that the days go on throughout the course of an NBA season that should give you a chip on your shoulder. What I hate is when guys act like it didn't happen.
Speaker 1: And I've actually played against Carl before where some things were said or here, this, that and the other, and he did not come out and act like he like like he knew what was going on, and I hate that. I love the way he came out. First play, they give him the ball. He gave me on a pump fake.
Speaker 3: Guess why he gave me on that pump fact because I'm thinking the same thing he thinking. It's me and you right now? What's up? Right?
Speaker 1: He shoot the pumpfact? I want the it's so bad, Ah, I go for the pumping.
Speaker 3: So guess what.
Speaker 1: Guess what I'm like, Okay, here we go right Like that was let's go at it right, And so I love that and I applaud him on his mentality that he came out with I am not the guy that's going to say when someone does something wrong and not say when they do something. Right there, that mentality that Carl Anthony Towns came out with is the exact mentality that he should have came out with, and I love it. So here it is, he get that dump, now vice versa. I get the first block on Giannis. Carl get the dump. You feeling a little different. So now he feeling good about himself, right, He get a couple of open threes, you know, in the floid offense, he making shots. It's good, right, So I need to put this fire off. So now at that point, that's a defender I have to take on. I have to do whatever I need to do to put this fire off. So now you're playing the game. You're playing the game. Oh man, he got two files. Oh if I get him a third file. He got to go to the bench, So I'm running up to set a screen. He made contact, all right, let me let me embrace this content.
Speaker 2: The chatter, And what I loved about it was the chatter, right Like, I don't know what y'all was saying to each other and what was being said on the court.
Speaker 3: I don't even care. I'll tell you, like to make up my own words.
Speaker 2: I don't even want you to tell me I just made up my own but I can I can feel it. No, I'm gonna tell you. I'm gonna tell you what he said, b D.
Speaker 1: Because I think this was a big moment for Towns in my opinion, and I'm gonna go more into a while. I think it was a big moment. But I'm gonna tell you what he said. He said, I caught him soft. I said, he is soft. He's soft. Yeah, yeah, he's soft.
Speaker 3: Yeah. He said, man, you a hoe? I said, right, he said, I said, get him out of here, go sit you down him bench, Tims. He said, you are he gave you.
Speaker 1: He gave you it Christmas. Hey, So listen right, So I'm loving that. But you're going to sit on the bench. It's cool, Hey, but check this out. And you asked a specific question. You said, do I think he's better and they're better off if he plays with that type of physicality And.
Speaker 3: The answer is yes.
Speaker 1: And if Carl Anthony Towns was my teammate, That's what I'm looking to get out of him every single It's something I need you on this type of time and Harris, why and I need to get that from him because there's guys like Carl Anthony Towns that are as talented like that, Like that's that talented that sometimes you need to put the battery pack.
Speaker 3: They need somebody to put the battery pack in their back. And Carl Anthony Towns, in my opinion, I think is one of those guys because he got the size he has. He's strong as hell, right so, and he obviously has the skin of skill.
Speaker 1: If you play with that level of physicality, if I can get you played with that level of physicality more often than not, we're.
Speaker 3: Gonna win way more games than we lose.
Speaker 1: And I'm going to get you to be a better player than you even knew or thought that you were. And so he one hundred percent would be better off and they one hundred percent would be better off if he always played that physical And by the way, if he played that physical all the time, he'd be much more respected around the NBA than he is. He's respected as a talented player. But you saw Matt Barnes say the other day, Matt said, Cat's problem is he a cat, He not a dog.
Speaker 3: And that's what that's that's what Matt said.
Speaker 1: If Kat come out and play with the type a dog that he played with against me the other night man, good luck Guarden, Kyle Anthony Towns, good luck because the way he shoot the ball like a guard and he got that type of dog. You're not stopping him. And so I said earlier this year, I tweeted Carl the New York Knicks won't win with Carl Anthony Towns front. Joker like that reason why you won't always get in that front. And mentally, Joker's just like, oh man, this dude in front of me, like he's scared of me. He don't want to, he don't want he's scared of me. And so that's what the mindset becomes, like, Yo, this dude's scared of me. And I said that. Now, if you're in a playoff series and that's the game plan, y'all go with, that's a totally different story. But you against this dude, Mino ain't Mino in the regular season, bro you gotta stop him and or at least go for broke trying to stop him.
Speaker 3: And that's what I said. And everybody's like, oh, Draymond picking on cat one thing.
Speaker 1: Y'all should understand, Draymond, don't just p on people I tell you the truth about basketball and about mentality, about championship winning mentality. And if you go back and look at them tweets, I said, if they ever want to compete at the highest level, if he wants to be respected at the highest level, you got to take on that challenge.
Speaker 3: You gotta take that fame.
Speaker 1: Him taking on that challenge is the same mindset needed and which he had against me the other day. And so I stand by everything I said when I said when I when I put those tweets out, and I stand by what I'm saying now. Yes, he was absolutely incredibly physical. And if he's that physical all the time against everybody, that's a different basketball player.
Speaker 3: And guess what, when Cat showed up and played like that.
Speaker 1: I don't know if he realized it or not, people gained way more respect for him.
Speaker 2: But even the level of the play of everybody else went up. Jayalen Bronson, Hey, have you ever had a teammate get kicked out the game by the coach? We ever had one of your teammates sent to the locker during the game.
Speaker 3: I get out of you. I ain't never know.
Speaker 2: I have a funny story about fronting the post bro we're playing the Lakers with Charlotte. Paul Silas tells, oh, Than Campbell, Yo, we're playing Shock. You know they got the triangle. Eldon, I want you to get around in front. So it was like he was like what He was like, Yeah, we're gonna front and then on the back side when they throw, we're gonna close in double team. Elden was like, oh no, man, you know I'm playing against Sack Like, I'm not fronting that dude. Paul Silas said, you're gonna front his ass or you ain't gonna play. He said, man, I ain't got no time, Like I ain't no time for this. The game start right, Elden Campbell goes he frushed Shack.
Speaker 9: They throw the ball over and said shockdown, bomm Ellen Camble front Shack again, right, get and one right Ell.
Speaker 2: They go, Man, fuck that, I ain't fronting this dude no more. I ain't front no more. Or I ain't front no more. All right, we got you, big hommy. Throw the ball in the shack El then like playing behind him. I think shack Man missed one. Throw the ball back to Shack can get an a one. Paul Silas called.
Speaker 3: The time out. Time time out.
Speaker 2: I'm out, Hey, Broy. You know when the coach meets you and start walking you to the bench. So I'm sitting on the bench. They just going back and for I told you the front, man, I ain't fronting. We get to the bench. He said, man, this is a game playing the front. He said, man, that.
Speaker 3: Shit ain't gonna work. He said, if you don't think this shit gonna work, you can leave. Oh.
Speaker 4: They said okay, and he got him off the bitch, bro, I want to the locker room.
Speaker 3: Paul Silence tell him, but fuck it, get out of here. You can go home. I was like, wait, hold on, dude, like we need this foot and shut.
Speaker 2: B I get there. We get there halftime, right. He put his suit off, like in the locker the team over there, please come on big home here. We need you. Come on.
Speaker 3: Come on, man, put your jersey like we need to come on. Man. He was in full soup, had his bag. He was on his way out. Did he start back playing. He came back to the game.
Speaker 2: You know, Paul Silence kicked Eric snot out the games on the team on the bround.
Speaker 3: Paul Silence was funny. He'd be like, you don't want to play.
Speaker 2: You don't get the fuck up body here, no.
Speaker 3: Now, bye bye man. That's hilarious. That's hilarious.
Speaker 2: If you're a big dude, don't be out there front man. Take the tough cat, cat seven feet cat. If I'm being honest, I could get away with front better of sixty six.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The din you you got, I'm sorry, is one step away, though he won step away if he played like he played against you, And then I.
Speaker 1: Would say everybody if he destroyed most guys.
Speaker 3: By the way, yeah, anyway anyway, but.
Speaker 2: Mentality right, because it was it was a different mentality, you know, because he got the cockiness, the chip on his shoulder, the entertainment. But for that game, for some reason, he was mad and locked in so them three fouls.
Speaker 3: I wasn't mad at him for that because he wasn't gonna get punked that night.
Speaker 2: He was going he wanted to be on the court every moment because he was embracing that.
Speaker 3: He gotta he got a start like that. He gotta look at every dude like Draymond, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: He gotta look at every dude like like the night you played against the Warriors, and say, if I bring that every night.
Speaker 3: It's gonna shift work to a whole other stratus fit. That's a fact. It's a different he played like that. It's a different player. No question asked man, you hit the night Night Sally or or or is it the Nightmare Mayor?
Speaker 2: According to Moses Moody, after making a final layup with twenty five seconds to go, like is that the new thing?
Speaker 3: Like Steph got the night Night, you got the Nightmare. The play was to get the ball to Jimmy.
Speaker 1: Jimmy gets denied, Moses gets stuck at the top of the ball, and so I run up get the balls.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I'm gonna go make the play funny enough.
Speaker 1: Moses told me, He's like, Dre, you lucky you came and got that ball because I was just by to get.
Speaker 3: In my back. If you look at the clip he.
Speaker 1: Came and he swung it and got out the way me getting that layup. Though, Steph comes into the action and he doesn't set a screen. But anytime Steph comes into the action and look like he's about to set a screen, it looses the defense because they people are terrified to stuff and so they see Steph coming to the action everybody. Oh, pause for a second to see what he about to do, and so I go. I got the ball on the left. I hesitated a little bit and then I take off and I know I can beat Cat's hip right like I know he ain't moving his puppies like that. Once I go, I turned the corner, I see the clip path to the lane and I had on. As soon as I make the layup, I'm like, oh, it's time. This game is a rit. We just went up six points. This is a rap that's hit these folks with the night Night. It was a little early, as we still have you gotta slow down on your night. I got Steph Curry with Jimmy Butler, Steph Curry's greatest free throw shooter in the history of the NBA. We have six with twenty five seconds to go, Steph gonna make free throw. So I'm like, night night, it's over.
Speaker 2: Well, here's what I will I'm saying the action like, here's what I will say. Damn, dude, it's like you're slamming your head on the pillar or like you know, it's like a homeless person.
Speaker 3: Night night. See, you got you gotta flow into it. And here's what I will.
Speaker 1: Say everything I do, I do aggressively, so my shoulders come up.
Speaker 3: It ain't just if you watch that right, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Step step shit to the step, shoot the ball, you go through steps, just do like that. When I do anything, my shoulders do this right. So Now, the first time I did the Night Night, which was after the Rudi go Bert play, when I I hit the Night Night, Now, I was like, it was way up here.
Speaker 3: It was a grass of as hell.
Speaker 1: Now, Steph gave me notes after that hour and he said, you know, it was a little aggressive.
Speaker 3: You was too high up. You got like come down a little. And so I took notes.
Speaker 1: And what I will say is on that one after that, I think my hands were a little bit lower.
Speaker 3: I learned to drop the head a little bit more. But but she was bouncing your hand, you know, a little over telling. But listen, here's the thing though, here's the thing.
Speaker 1: So then I walk in the locker room after all this plays out, and I'm walking around the locker room and I always go shake everybody up.
Speaker 3: Loan loan. People think Loan don't talk.
Speaker 1: Loon is the corporate So Moses and Loon over there like man, it's the Nightmare. I heard him, like, man, Draymond ain't doing the night Night. He doing the night Mayor. I started crying, laughing, and then Moses obviously came out and said it publicly, and there it is, that the Nightmare. It became world renowned, worldly known.
Speaker 3: Just show.
Speaker 2: You gotta do something like this like that, like the night Night, and then do something like that.
Speaker 3: Like this is.
Speaker 1: I've had a couple of night Night moments in the last week and a half though, so you know, maybe I need to come up with my own celebration, start the gat stuff, you.
Speaker 3: Know, something like this and then like ah night man. Yeah that's good. I like that. All right?
Speaker 2: We got I mean, I wish I had it. I didn't have no Sally. I was just damn I wish I had me and Sally.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe I need to come up on one nightmare. You gotta work on the man.
Speaker 1: We're about to head out on this road trip, but before we get out of here with Steve all it's caused it to get away game. We got the Raptors far last far, our last home game of this seven game homestand five and one, currently looking to go six and one would have been great to go seven. No, but I don't think anyone's complaining about a six and one home stand.
Speaker 3: And then we head out in a six game trip.
Speaker 1: And while Steve always called it the getaway game is because he just always say, Yo, you never know that first game on the road, especially when you going east, You just never know how the body's gonna react, how the mind's we react. So the getaway game becomes even that much more important because you just want to get out on the right note, you know what I'm saying, And so getaway game is extremely important for us, like I said, closing this home stand out. But then also obviously we all know where the standings are. Minnesota's right on our heels, Clippers are right on our heels. We're not too far back from amongst some other guys here on other teams hills, and so every game matters, and you got to take care of the ones that you're supposed to win.
Speaker 3: This Raptors game is one that we should take care of.
Speaker 1: We're at home, we've been playing well, stuff's coming back off a night off, let's go, you know, we should be able to take advantage of this. And so it's a very important game for us, one that we got to take advantage of, and then our first game on the road comes against the Hawks. Dyson Daniels currently has one hundred and ninety four steals on the season, more than any player in the last fifteen years. And in case y'all forgot how good my dog was defensively that y'all never put on the All Defensive team. BD had a career high one hundred and ninety one steals and led the league twice in steals. So I wanted to ask you what is it about Dyson Daniels that has impressed you? And then also if there's an art to getting steals in your opinion, there is an.
Speaker 2: Art when you watch the great great John Stockton, who's still he holds the record for assistan an steals watching people like him being sneaky, right, you learn how to be sneaky. Alan Iverson play every passing lane, like as soon as you're not thinking about it, you got the Allen Iverson's a Dwayne Ways people like that that played the passing lane.
Speaker 3: But that John stocked and sneakiness.
Speaker 2: Is really because there's just a high intelligence and knowing like where the pass like you just anticipated passes. My career high the year I did one ninety one, I picked people up three quarter court, so a lot of those steals were on ball steals. I would jam him up at half court because they couldn't take a back dribble. You know, that was the year I picked everybody. I think, you know, I picked Lebron, I picked you know, everybody got picked at half court. Steve Francis got picked. I got everybody, and I used the half court as like a defensive line. So I think with Daniels, it's a combination. He plays defense, he got quick hands, but he's scrappy and he's sneaky. Big dude dribbling the ball in the post. He coming around on the backside, you anticipating flashes and cuts down the middle.
Speaker 3: Somebody like him.
Speaker 2: When you told don't help off the corner, you figured out a way that you can help off the corner and still try and make the play. And so that's what I like about him. The artist steals is just you gotta be sneaky, and you also just have to be in the mix, like what are the tendencies of everybody on this team? Right? And then where can you anticipate, and for me, it was more like that and taking the challenge, but slapping the ball out of you know, out of the big dude hand when they underneath the basket, right, not being afraid to like get a lot of chop files. I call him right, I got a lot of chop files, but I didn't really care because I'm going to file you, and I'm going to, you know, basically make your wrists hurt.
Speaker 3: That park that bar so I filew you, I file you. I'll gonna file you hard.
Speaker 2: I'm probably gonna chop you in the wrist, right, I'm probably gonna hack you and slap you across the chest reaching and then I may push you when you get by me. And I learned that from Jason Kidd. I almost picked Jason Kidd. I had him on. He had me on the sideline man, I had him boom fuck. I was on the way man, Jason Kidd pushed me into the scores table.
Speaker 3: I was like, Yo, what's up?
Speaker 2: Like, no, man, I ain't trying to get to turnover. You ain't picking me, so you know it's it's I think that's the artist being sneaky. I would ask you too, because as a defender. You look at somebody like, you know, one hundred and ninety four steals this season, like that's huge, that's a lot huge.
Speaker 1: That is that is that's huge. I think I'd actually give Dyson Dames credit. He's a good defender. A lot of guys that get steals ain't good defenders. A lot of guys that get steals. They just sell out on the play and leave your defense if they don't get to steal, they leave your defense in rotations like we were talking about earlier, they leave your defense at a disadvantage because now they're out of position that someone got to cover for that. I think stills in some cases has has been a misconception around this lead of that if you get steals you're a good defender. That's not the case. I don't think that about Dyson Danes. I do think Dyson Danis is a good defender just like yourself. And there is an art to it. Hey, you have to be willing to take the risk. So you have to be a risk in order to get steals.
Speaker 3: B you have to.
Speaker 1: And in the case of where there's a good defender and steals their their lives in IQ because you have to read these situations, to not put yourself in bad positions, not put your team in bad positions, but to still get that still. And by the way, I want to get that still. But if I don't get to steal the good defenders, I'm still in position to guard displays. And so I think that's a big thing as well. It's like, how are you leaving your team position when you're going after these stills. And you know, I have a guy on my team who has a great artist still in the basketball, Jimmy Butler. He's great at get the steals and anticipating things. And then obviously I like to come up with a few stills here and there myself. I'm a one time stills leader in this NBA myself. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I think it's an art for sure.
Speaker 1: One I like to get is when I am strong side corner and that got dry poking away guys really willing to take that stab and get and get them every now and then. So I think that would be my favorite one to get for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And on top of that, like to your point, like just because you get steals on me, you're a great defender.
Speaker 3: I mean You've got great instincts, great timing. You know.
Speaker 2: I always try to pride myself because I wanted to be top three in the league of guards and block shots too.
Speaker 3: Defense stills is also block shot.
Speaker 2: Like block shots, you may not block, you know, you may not get credit for the block, but you get credit for the deflection.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've been watching it. Dyson Daniels since G League and you know, since he was young, and he just has a knack for disruption.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that disruption he does.
Speaker 1: He was a good defendant when he was in a He was a good defender when he was in New Orleans to New Orleans. Yeah, he wasn't needed to pick it up more. Yeah, now he's done that, So good for him.
Speaker 3: It's good to see his growth. Yep.
Speaker 2: The highlight of the road trip is Jimmy Butler returning to Miami for the first time since the trade.
Speaker 3: Miami hasn't been playing well. What are they on the eight game loser, nine game losing Street they just lost last night.
Speaker 2: What do you think the atmosphere will be like for that game to shout out, flyout to Miami and come to that game. And has Jimmy mentioned anything about it? I'm coming to the game anyway.
Speaker 1: Jimmy has not said a word about it.
Speaker 3: It's funny.
Speaker 1: I was talking to Traves the other day, we were talking about this game, and he was like, man, you think it's because there's two guys.
Speaker 3: There's two different types of people that deal with situations like this.
Speaker 1: There's the person that doesn't say anything, and you know it means a lot to them, but they just don't say anything. And then there's the person that's like, no, this's like, I'm going to get this. And the reality is, we all know Jimmy's mentality. He gonna be on teen. What I'm excited to see is is he going to be the guy that lets everybody else know and men us around him he on ten? Yeah, Well is he just gonna walk in there on tea and everybody fall in line? Nonetheless, I think the atmosphere is going to be a great atmosphere because Wiggs is going to come and Wigs is going to want to play great.
Speaker 3: Kyler Anderson going to give minutes and he doesn't want to play great. Ye uh. And then obviously Jimmy raises.
Speaker 1: All tides at all times and raise atmospheres at all times. And so, and I think there's gonna be some place that Jimmy gonna make it known in that game. And I'm looking forward to that smoke. So I think it's going to be a great atmosphere. I think it's going to be a fun game. I'm looking forward to it. Obviously, Miami is always fun in the so, but we're going down there locked in, So I'm looking forward to it. I think it'll be great.
Speaker 3: And just hit me, you thrive and being hated.
Speaker 2: Right at the beginning of the year, you were playing basketball and nobody hated you, Like, no teams hated you. They was just like ya, we can beat them. And y'all didn't have like and y'all were just playing basketball, right, So when you look at let's say, the first half of the year, you say, oh, look at Draymond Shananigans. Now look at Draymon Shenanigans when he hated you know what I'm saying. And so now y'all got a fire going into Miami and the Warriors being hated, y'all used to that. That's how like y'all meet that energy. More so to drive like Steph needs to be hated and not loved all the time, right because much Yeah, but you know, like you used to that because it's war Doves fans all over the world, right, and there's Steph Curry fans all around the world, three point shooting fans all around the world.
Speaker 3: But there's a sense of emptiness and stillness.
Speaker 2: And quieting the gym down or a noisy gym that you guys just thrive in because you know, it's war, it's battle. And so this first game, y'all going somewhere, y'all gonna be hated. So I think this road trip is going to be a great eye opening experience because now you get to feel like the old Warriors, where people hate it, whether you were seventy wins hate it everywhere you went in. You have to, like you feel you have to iron prove yourself. But you knew that, Okay, they hate us, we hate them, and it just raises it raises the level right one, and the energy right because a lot of times you gotta just you just gotta try shit, do shit during the season just.
Speaker 3: To rall yourself up. You ain't got to do that no more.
Speaker 1: Nah, you just come in on a different type of time now, yep, absolutely, So I'm looking forward to that.
Speaker 3: And I love walking into the arena being hated.
Speaker 1: You know why, because when you win, there's no better feeling than shutting that crowd up. And we will be hated tremendously in Miami this time around.
Speaker 3: We will be hated in Memphis as always. Oh for sure, we will be hated in Los Angeles. There I be at that game. You got San Antonio, which is always a tough game.
Speaker 1: You got New Orleans, which we've had some battles in that place in playoff series, so they're always looking to beat us, right, and so this trip uh and then Atlanta is always a fun game, So this will be a good trip for us.
Speaker 3: I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: Just get around and leave before we get out of here. The King County Hall game winner versus Miami, it was good to see the young fella, you know, take advantage of that moment, you know, pull up for the Tracy on this Overbam out of Bayo for the game said that was his first three game winner, and I loved his explanation after the game.
Speaker 3: He said, Man, that's.
Speaker 1: The moment you like you grow up in the driveway three two, you let that thing go. Yeah, And It was great to see him have that moment. As you know, I'm always rooting for the Detroit Pistons when they ain't playing against so.
Speaker 3: So I was. I was happy to see k had that moment. That was big time. Yeah.
Speaker 2: That was my sleeper team, remember them Houston at the beginning of the year.
Speaker 3: That was my sleeper team. K Cunningham has a SGA type of.
Speaker 2: Or yeah he just has yeah, yeah he got the or he got the or you know, I challenged Kate to play one on one.
Speaker 3: I'm still not gonna duck that fade. But damn dude, like he.
Speaker 2: Nice, broy Hey, he's so nice and poison mature. And I would say this to young kids out there, like if you want to be great, you have to figure out pace, how to dictate pace. And k Cunningham is settling into his flow, into his pace, and he's like Luka, donk SGA steph. Everybody has their own kind of pace. And they looked like they move as slow, right, but it's because you can never get them too fast too slow. It's always in their comfort zone. And that's where Kay Cunningham is right now. Man, heah in a comfort zone. And you know six seven. He can he can shoot three. Get you know, big body, get to the get to the bucket. I like his maturity.
Speaker 3: He looked like he looked like he feel like he belonged in the position day he felt like, yeah, he felt like he should be bigger than that. He looked like he prepping for the next level.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm gonna say here first, Kate Cunningham will bring a championship back to Detroit.
Speaker 3: I think he will. I think I see it happening. He got the talent, He got the talent, he got the demeanor, he got the size. There's a lot of people under ray.
Speaker 1: He got the size to put a team on his shoulders and actually carry it. Kay cunningheam will bring championship basketball championship rings at least I ring back to the Detroit Pistons. Obviously, I understand how important franchise and organizations is to that ownership, right, and then bringing in Trajan langdon I think it's a big deal. I think Trasan is ready to take that next step and ready to take that next step with the team. So I don't know when it's going to be because I think they still got some fine tuning of the roster and different stuff doesn't need to happen over the course of time. But Kay Cunningham will bring a championship back to Detroit.
Speaker 2: I can't deny that with his game. And you know what they're building over there. They got the talent they want. So look out there for the next you know, the next five years. We gotta we gotta keep a close eye on what's about to start happening in Detroit.
Speaker 3: One million percent.
Speaker 1: Shout out to the city, Motor City three one three, shout out.
Speaker 3: To my Detroit people.
Speaker 1: Our last game of the trip is the Los Angeles Lakers, which is crazy, by the way, let's just speak of it. Yes, this the Lakers, tough game, all that, But then you come home from a two week trip on the back to back versus Denver, let's just talk about the NBA schedule makers for a reason.
Speaker 3: That's trash. Moving on, shout out to the NBA.
Speaker 1: Our last game versus the Los Angeles Lakers on this upcoming trip. Don't know if Brown will be back by then, assuming he will, but since Luca's debut, he's led the team in points, rebounds, assists, stills, three point percentage, and plus minus Recently, the focus has shifted to Austin Reeves, with many calling him the best third option.
Speaker 3: In the league. What do you think? BD?
Speaker 1: And just as of note James Worthy Big game, James the Legend himself said, I'm telling you people, google Pistol Pete Pete Merravis for those of you that don't know who that is, he said, that's him.
Speaker 2: Thoughts B D Love Austin Reeves, Love Austin Reeves best third option in the league. Man, I cannot argue against that man. He got you, hear me, You got confidence. He takes big shots, He make tough shots. He can get to the bucket you can't. You know, Hasy pull up layups, fearless, chip on his shoulder and not afraid to take big shots.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, actually wants the moment, wants the moment. He wont the moment.
Speaker 2: He looking for you to leave him open, right. And the confidence that the Lakers and J. J. Reddick showing in him and turning him into a point guard. Why you look at that dynamic with you know him and Luca that backcourt, right, and then you you with Luca and Lebron every day, and you a young pup man, and you got that mentality already. He just got like he ain't even touched his ceiling right now. He's started to learn how to pass, start to play, make more plays defensively, He's you know, he's he's leveling up. I can see Austin Reeves as a as an All Star. I can see it's like him. I heard that, and I, like a lot of people, Man.
Speaker 1: Here's what will have to happen. And for Austin Reeves to be an All Star, and he should understand this. Their team has to be top two or three in the West because and Luca's going to make it right.
Speaker 3: So you're getting two off your team, no question.
Speaker 1: So if your team's top two, top three in the West around that time, then you could possibly get three in that'll be That'll have to be his path to becoming an All Star. But nonetheless, I think when I look at Austin Reeves and they say best start option in the elite, I haven't really sat down and looked at third options to be like the best. And here's another thing. All the third options ain't just based off scoring. Because third option was the third option, you have to do other things sometimes because the scoring may not the ball may not come your way as the third.
Speaker 3: Option if Luca and Bron got it going.
Speaker 1: So I think when you're speaking the third options, it can't be just based off scoring, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: It has to be based off overall impact.
Speaker 1: And so I'm not going to sit here in debate and say he not the best third option. I just haven't done the exercise to figure out if he is there. That's my opinion. But he definitely at the top, no questions asked. And I think one of the things that I like most about Austin Reeves, I saw this clip of him and it's actually his demeanor in the court. Where I saw this clip, he was on some podcast and he said, you know, everybody like, oh I got the white boy, and he.
Speaker 3: Said, it's gonna be hell you come this way. And that's actually his demeanor on the court.
Speaker 1: It's like you think, oh I got off, it's gonna be hell. And so I love the demeanor that he carries, how he embodies, you know, just that having that mentality on the floor, you know, So shout out to us, Reez. I think he playing great basketball. But in other news, before we get out of here, I saw the ESPN article about how you find your voices rapper bar Oatmeal and you know how I liked in the show with a g list.
Speaker 3: You tell me who are your top five NBA players who's turned rappers? Right now?
Speaker 2: Okay, we're gonna take bart Oldmeill out the pitcher because he ain't no comparison. We don't compare barn o'mill only collaborates, and we make fire top five. We're gonna go in no order. This is who I like. Shaquille O'Neil. He's like the James Brown of NBA players turn rappers. He's like the l l He's the he's our Oh you go because he you know, he he tore the doors now and.
Speaker 3: I like Dame Lillard Dame Dollar.
Speaker 2: All right, you got an NBA player who has kept the same name and his nickname. Translate that to rap and Dame Spit, you know, put out like three or four albums, you know, breaking another threshold, number three, triple j.
Speaker 3: Okay, do get hey, he got he put out an album.
Speaker 2: It was crazy. I used to bump his album. I was bumping his album. I think it was like two years ago, last year, two years ago.
Speaker 3: Just for those of y'all out there that don't know who Triple J is. That's Jared Jackson.
Speaker 2: That's Jared Jackson Jr. My bad Triple J. Jared Jackson Jr. In Memphis. Check his song out. I think the song called I Duken. I gotta put KD the Slim Reaper in there. Yeah, I gotta put Slim Reaper in the mix because man with the song with him and Stanley was fired. And yeah, he got a nice melodic flow. You know, he got a nice tone. I like his tone and and I like, you know, obviously I like his frequency. You know, the bat selection, just the frequency.
Speaker 3: Uh. He rap on one thing about Kate before you go to your next one.
Speaker 1: K is as much of a music savant as he is a basketball savant. And I think that's like when you talk to Astria music like KD love music. He when I say he is as much a savant and that one is basketball, maybe even more like and you know how much of a savant and great KD is in basketball, He's a savant when they.
Speaker 3: Come to that music, man, he loves it. He know every song.
Speaker 1: He know every artist dating back though not just like new artists like across the board and so uh just just Katie.
Speaker 2: Now you can tell and I say rounding on my last too, because I don't include shack uh Miles Bridges.
Speaker 3: Yes, sir r t B m B. He snaps, he just he just he just he he snaps.
Speaker 2: And then list but not least Lonzo ball A k a Ozo Oatmeal.
Speaker 3: We got collaboration, we got a little tape.
Speaker 2: That's my guy. You know, we'd be locked in in the studio. Shout out to Lonzo Bard. I actually want to produce an album with all the NBA players and musicians on one album. So that's that's like one of my next projects because it's just so much talent. He's doing so talent. Victor on the depot sing.
Speaker 3: Yes he does.
Speaker 2: Javelle McGee make beats, you know, uh, Justin Bieber and all that ship.
Speaker 3: Jebel McGee I have a grant me. Yeah, I think he do. Jaelle got a grand.
Speaker 1: So it's a lot of musical talent in the n B. A Hey, but I got one question on your list that I just there's an omission that.
Speaker 3: I don't like. Jello and oh yeah, yeah you said NBA, you said n B A if Mac McClung can be an NBA.
Speaker 1: Don't champion, you put NBA rapper. Yes, and I'm gonna tell you all this though.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna tell you all this more than anybody except maybe Shot.
Speaker 1: Jello is living a dream. Yes, here's why we all want to be rappers. We all want to be musicians. All rappers want to be basketball players.
Speaker 3: He did it. He is actually a musician. He is actually played basketball. He brothers just at stage on rollerd Loud on sta Age. Come on, man, Jello is living a dream right now. He is doing it. Bro.
Speaker 2: You got you got the period fire songs out, Let's come out and he release slappers yep, period.
Speaker 3: For show. Yeah hell yeah yeah, come on man.
Speaker 2: Yes, he is for sure that I gotta come get with Barto Meal man, because let's go. When Barno Mill released the Vault, it's all for collaboration, so we don't do no comparisons.
Speaker 3: We just whip up a ball, you know what I mean. That's the slug and get a ball everybody out there, Let's get it.
Speaker 1: Shout out to all the rappers, turn hoopers. Shout out to all the hoopers turn rappers.
Speaker 3: Gotta love it.
Speaker 1: Love how to intersect love how music and basketball and culture in a sect.
Speaker 3: Never take that for granted. It's a part of the game.
Speaker 1: Shout out to AI when you talk hip hop and basketball being synonymous.
Speaker 3: Hey, I led that charge. Shout out to him. She got some other rappers out there too. Cold.
Speaker 1: Was a rapper come out cold? You know what I'm saying, Yes, he did, so. Shout out to the guys. And I'll tell you what. You will not be hearing any routes from me.
Speaker 3: Yeah you will. I try to rhyme with every sentence in every bar You're gonna get.
Speaker 2: You will hear Draymond on a Barn Oatmeal Welcome to the Bay album.
Speaker 3: I gotta get you on there, bro J call that's feezing.
Speaker 1: That's a rap from this episode of The Draymond Green Show with My Dog bar Oatmeal b d the legend.
Speaker 3: Baron Davis hit the ball of that Draymond Show. Out the volume. M