Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Eight seven to seven three.
Speaker 3: DP show email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show. If you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app. If you're watching on peacock, you'll notice we don't have a full lineup. Polly is not here today, hopefully tomorrow. Talk to him yesterday and he's doing a lot better. I'm not sure where Fritzy is. Could somebody let Fritzy know that the show has started. I do not see him in his seat seat and he is your back row mate.
Speaker 2: You want me to go find him?
Speaker 3: Well, I don't want to lose you too. Maybe the Oh no, we weren't doing costumes today.
Speaker 2: A happy fellow right there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Fritzy has got his a shark costume on today.
Speaker 2: Not a sharp costume. A shark costume.
Speaker 4: Mostly covers his mouth too, which is great. Yes, can you speak in your shark costume?
Speaker 5: I could speak a little bit.
Speaker 2: How does that sound good? Didn't we talk about this we weren't wearing costumes.
Speaker 6: But yeah, but it's sports game. I'm no ordinary shark. Ready he shoots scars? What kind of shark?
Speaker 2: Ball, you're a San Jose shark shark.
Speaker 5: Okay, shark. Thought, you guys are all getting dressed up.
Speaker 4: Can we just not do anything for the show today? But just watched Todd try to manage his headphones and that.
Speaker 5: I can't like wear the thing and have the headphones up.
Speaker 3: Okay, you you can't do anything yourself.
Speaker 2: It is not possible for you to do anything yourself.
Speaker 7: He is.
Speaker 4: I did not imagine that he would be struggling this much.
Speaker 5: Shark shuck, shark shark. Remember that song?
Speaker 2: Now, wasn't this a video where they had.
Speaker 5: He wasnt conducer for headphones this particular outfit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who's the pop singer? She had the shark? Oh, Katie Perry, Katy Perry? Is that where that shark costumes?
Speaker 4: I think we did like a than for some reason, I feel like I was out in the streets in New York City wants ordering food, and that.
Speaker 2: You had lost a bet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well Todd didn't lose a bet, and he just decided to show up in costume.
Speaker 2: No one else is in costume.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: I don't like costumes on Halloween.
Speaker 5: Something crazy happens in the sports.
Speaker 3: Yes, then I'm dressed as little Bill peep, and you know I'm talking about something really serious.
Speaker 4: I have a lot of other questions. By the way, if that was your choice of costume, no fuddy that we're going on eighteen straight years of nothing happening on Halloween, so you would have been okay all this time.
Speaker 2: You could have.
Speaker 4: Drawn up shown up as the we don't know, we just started, we just started.
Speaker 2: We're nine minutes in eight minutes.
Speaker 5: In okay about Brewers memories.
Speaker 2: Do you want to take go ahead and take off the constume?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 4: Are you sure though, yeah, because watching him try to navigate his headphones right now is okay.
Speaker 2: How about we see if you can make it to the commercial break?
Speaker 5: Wow, okay, we can try that.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: So the Dodgers win the World Series, the Yankees collapse in the fifth inning, and Fritzy into numerology?
Speaker 2: Do you want to give the numerology? Can you even hear me.
Speaker 5: The numerology of five?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 6: Because with the fifth inning and Missigo's five to five and Freeman who got the hit the mate at five to three and he's the MVP of the World Series, where is number five?
Speaker 5: There's a lot of stuff going on.
Speaker 3: With five okay, all right, so the Yankees. This is how it sounded. The final call on AM five seventy LA Sports Dodgers Radio Network.
Speaker 2: Dave Roberts can hardly watch.
Speaker 1: Here's the one two pitch from Buehler got him swinging.
Speaker 9: That's it. That's a world series flint for LA. They've done it, They've finished the job. Didn't give Los Angeles the parade. It's been waiting for a swarm of Dodgers on the right side of the infield, grown men, but children again living out their dream.
Speaker 3: That's courtesy of AM five seventy our friends in Los Angeles. A seven game series comes down to more than one player, one person normally, and with all the millions and millions and millions of dollars that both of these franchised spent this year on their rosters, it comes.
Speaker 2: Down to small things.
Speaker 3: Small things like catching a fly ball, covering first base, making a good throw to third base, taking advantage of a situation. You know, Aaron Judge drops a routine flyball, and you know, the fifth inning started harmlessly. It was like, all right, you know five nothing. Garrett Cole was dealing. All right, We're going to Los Angeles for a game six. Then all of a sudden it happened. Judge drops the ball, Anthony Volpi an error throw to third, and then Garrett Cole, he sees a dribbler from Mooki Bets, go up the first base line. Anthony Rizzo, he's sort of waiting for Garrett Cole to be over there and give credit to Mooki Betts because he got down the line. He never ever said, well, I just grounded out to en the inning. If you look at Garrett Cole, he comes off the mound, He's headed towards the dugout. Anthony Rizzo backs up. There was maybe a little nonchalance on his part there. I don't know if they would have gotten Mooki Bets in fairness to the you know, the totality of the play. But Garrett Cole has to This is what you work on in spring training. When you go watch spring training, you'll see this every single day. All right, I'm gonna throw it and then I'm gonna go cover first, the first baseman throws it to me, then you get in the back of the line.
Speaker 2: This is simple.
Speaker 3: This is just baseball one oh one over there. But do not rule out or forget Mookie Betts getting out right handed hitter, getting out of the box, getting down the line, and really putting pressure. This is what happened with Mookie Wilson in the World Series with Bill Buckner. He put pressure on Buckner. Buckner was not going to get the ball over to Bob Stanley. Stanley was not going to get there in time. And this is what Mooki Betts did. He did not give up on the play. He put pressure on them. Garrett Cole doesn't cover first base, Rizzo is there holding the baseball, and then all of a sudden, Freddie Freeman gets his opportunity and he didn't miss. He didn't miss at all during the entire World Series. But you know, you're watching this and you're trying to go and you're trying to understand how do you make these little mistakes?
Speaker 2: But this is the Yankees.
Speaker 3: The Yankees were not a clean team, terrible base runners, you make mistakes.
Speaker 2: They didn't hit.
Speaker 3: But give credit to the Dodgers. And I'm going to start with Dave Roberts. I know Freddie Freeman, you know, is your MVP. And rightfully so, probably unanimous. Dave Roberts did a wonderful job, and I liken his personality to Terry Francona. Francona dealt with big names and big egos and he managed that, and he managed that on and off the field, and Dave Roberts has some of that in him that he's able to take. They play like they're a scrappy, you know, small market team, and that is really a testament to Dave Roberts. And I know that we you know, questioned him. You know, it felt like each year his job is hanging in the balance, and I hope that people aren't second guessing him. He did a great job with the pitching staff, Walker Bueller coming in and a unique stat where you save a game and you win a game that doesn't happen very often in World Series history. Freddie Freeman was great, but you get production from the bottom of the lineup. It's just small things that made them World champs. Here's Dave Roberts, the manager.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we have talked about this in the past, Dave, how much it irritated you to hear people say eleven straight postseason Berts only one title?
Speaker 2: Only one? How do you feel about that criticism?
Speaker 11: Now I'm going to take the high road. You know, it's hard to win a championship, regardless of you know, what your team is like. It's hard. And there's a reason why there hasn't been a repeat champion since the Yankees did it, and so it clearly speaks to the difficult the playoff format, all that stuff. And so I'm going to be in the moment and I'm going to enjoy the heck out of this one. And I'm sure there's no asterisk on this one.
Speaker 2: Ah, there you go. I liked it.
Speaker 3: Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America. The official trading cards to the program. Operator Tyler is sitting by taking your phone calls each seven to seven three DP show iHeartRadio, Fox Sports Radio, and over four that carry this program the new Foliage flannels available in store at Danpatrick dot com. First Hour brought to you by Panini. Hottest Rookies, biggest Superstars, the old time greats, the only place to collect them all. Panini Trading Cards the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show, Instant classics, autograph cards, memorabilia cards, rare inserts, and more. Start a continue collection now Panini America dot net.
Speaker 2: I already have the World Series odds for next year.
Speaker 3: According to DraftKings, your favorite the Dodgers, followed by the Yankees, Braves, Phillies, and the Orioles. That's according to DraftKings. I don't know where Jan Soto is going to go. I don't know if Juan Soto knows where he's going to go. I think he'll go to the highest bidder. His agent is Scott Boris, and it usually happens that way. But if you're the Yankees, if you're Juan Soto, have you seen enough where you want to stay with the Yankees? Being a left handed hitter and having that right field porch, I would certainly entertain the idea that that's where I want to be and in a lineup that's got other guys power guys. You know, it was just a and I said this during the World Series, maybe the playoffs. It's not a well built lineup there. And I think that'll be the key in the offseason is can you make it a fuller lineup as opposed to we got three really good hitters here and then we have a bunch of pedestrians. We thought the Yankees had the better pitching staff. Dodgers didn't get a lot out of their starting pitchers, but they got enough out of their starting pitchers, and then you had Freddie Freeman and that was pretty much enough.
Speaker 2: But I did like that.
Speaker 3: One Soto goes hey right after the game. He's like, Hey, all thirty teams, I'm open for business. And I'm like, one, I'm going to guess there's maybe four teams, three teams who can afford you. It's not thirty teams. I don't think we're going to have this announcement in the off season. One Soto has just announced he is going to the Pirates. That's not going to happen. It's probably going to be maybe Toronto, the Yankees, the Mets, maybe the Dodgers. They've talked about. Do the Giants try to make a splash. They've tried to do that in previous seasons. So one, Soto's probably got maybe five teams that he can entertain the idea of joining them, and you're probably going to have to start the negotiations at around six hundred million dollars. Do I want that? No, because, once again, how many stars can you have? You must have a full lineup here, and if you're going to spend that kind of money. What are you passing on that makes your lineup fuller instead of I'm going to rely on that one guy. The Yankees have relyed on Aaron Judge. And I said, Aaron Judge was going to Homer last night, and I'm you know, I was sad that I you know, he dropped that fly ball because he had a great season, and I don't want him remembered for that.
Speaker 2: I mean, and he won't be remembered.
Speaker 3: It's not one of those Bill Buckner, Oh that's all you remember. Because of the magnitude of that error. They were leading, they were going to win the World Series, they were going to get rid of, you know, this drought that the Red Sox had. Bill Buckner had twenty eight hundred hits. If he didn't have you know, bad ankles and knees, he would have had three thousand hits. He would have been a Hall of Famer. But Billy buck is known just for that one play. You know, you had Judge out there and for some reason he's thinking about doubling up the runner.
Speaker 2: Small things, fundamental, fundamental things. Here's Aaron Judge.
Speaker 10: I think fosse N, the little serious thick until I die probably, I think just like every other loss, you know, those things don't go away. You know, they're battle scars along the way, and you know, hoping my career is over, we got a lot of battle scars. We also a lot of victory along the way too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I get it. It's going to eat him up for a little while. And does it stay with him? Well, it'll stay with him. The question is does it stay with us?
Speaker 12: Do we go?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Aaron Judge? Ohwi dropped the ball in the World Series? All right, he didn't have a great World Series, but he did Homer last night. It was just that play something really really small. Hey, keep your eye on the ball. How many times have we told that growing up? Keep your eye on the ball?
Speaker 1: Show?
Speaker 7: Hey?
Speaker 2: Otani didn't do much in the World Series.
Speaker 3: Obviously it banged up with the shoulder, but he built up enough credibility during the regular season playing through the injury that he kind of got a Hall pass here. And now you look at this Dodger team next year. They weren't healthy this year, and then you get Otani. He's going to be able to pitch. That's why they're the World Series favorites. Yes, Marvin, Oh yeah, Clayton Kershaw's coming back to I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think I don't know. I mean, he's been through so much. I don't know if I mean, he's probably going to say let me go with the mindset of I'm going to spring training. Maybe, but if you do bow out, I mean, you won the World Series, you like to be part of it. But he's been a part a lot of the Dodgers' success.
Speaker 2: But for Dave Roberts, I'm happy for him.
Speaker 3: I do like him, like him personally, and there are times when I shake my head with some of the moves that he makes. But not in the playoffs, I thought he did a wonderful job. And for Freddy Freeman, he's one of those guys where you go, that's right.
Speaker 2: He was MVP.
Speaker 3: He and they seem to put the ball in the same position when they were trying to get him out, like I would never throw the ball inside and do it. And then he muscles that base hit and two runs come in. As just a professional hitter, all right, eight seven seven three DP show. We will get to your phone calls. I'm sure we'll hear from I'm sure Buddha's gonna call, gust In la is gonna call.
Speaker 2: And by the way, I buried the lead.
Speaker 3: Bronnie hit a basket last night, Bendy, let's go down a round of plumps. Ron I said it'd be a mid range jumper and it was so congratulations. Ronnie James is in the books and now he goes to the G League. We'll take a break, just getting started on this Thursday. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 3: We got football coming up tonight. The Texans are underdogs against the Jets. Those point spreads where you go things that make you go hmm. I know Aaron Rodgers has a new drink. I guess it's a cayenne pepper and water, and he's saying it's a.
Speaker 2: Fountain of youth for him.
Speaker 3: I think it's a little late for that, but maybe that is the reason why they are favored tonight. He's been in the darkness. He made peace with the darkness. Maybe he's out of the darkness and maybe get in the wind column. That would be a good start, but the Texans versus the Jets coming up tonight. Former Jets head coach Rex Ryan will join us a little bit later on the Walker Bueller stat that I mentioned, fourth pitcher since nineteen sixty nine to record both a win as a starting pitcher and a save in the same World Series. He joins Madison Bumgardner, Catfish Hunter, and Jack Billingham.
Speaker 13: Ooh, cow, stand a day, Stana Day.
Speaker 2: This is the Standananda.
Speaker 3: Brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. All right, let's hear from our Dodger buddies, Buddha in San Francisco. Good morning, Buddha, Dan, who's got it better than guts in La Hi nobody, Buddy, Let's go see.
Speaker 7: I am low on sleep and high on championship in motion today. Let's go. The job is finished. I mean, happy Halloween boys.
Speaker 12: Dan.
Speaker 7: I know you don't do costumes normally, but I can tell you right now I am dressed and going out into the streets today as a champion. I'm wanting my Dodgers here. I'm popping champagne all week and long. I mean, there's so many storylines and people I'm happy for as far as the Dodgers go, but Dan, he is the crown and the one person I'm most happy for. To your point, DP is Dave Roberts. Like the dude managed his ass off this postseason. He had a decimated starting rotation. I mean, he had to think outside the box all postseason and he won with a bullpen and like timely pitching, I mean something that has been a huge achilles heel for us in the pass. I mean, just watching that Yankees fifth inning implosion was just literally wild to watch.
Speaker 3: And Matt Good, Thank you, Budha speaking of Gus in La, congratulations Gus.
Speaker 12: Good more than mister Pastrick. How we're doing Hang on one second, Hey there we.
Speaker 2: Go, Oh go six point thirty in the morning.
Speaker 12: Hey, but hey, it's the world's time, right, I mean the Yankees fans you know that probably have done this a few times. It's our time. Here we go. Hey, what a season?
Speaker 7: What a season?
Speaker 12: We start off as true fashion as Dodger organization, with drama, the interpreter, then injuries just town them up. Mookie Betts wasn't there for half the year, Yoshinobu wasn't there for half the year. Then Freddie Freeman has his uh, you know, his trials and tribulations throughout the season. We have two full time starters starting the postseason. And where are we today, mister Patrick? Pat do you like us now?
Speaker 7: It is?
Speaker 12: Gys? You know what, I'm not going to carry this Golden State Warriors mindset when they won. Nobody dead but go back. How many people picked the Padres to win. How many people were saying, hey, these met these bets can do it. How many people said the Yankees rotation was too strong to overcome a lot of peoples like you boys, have a great I'll see you at the parade tomorrow, boys.
Speaker 3: Thank you guys, Yeah, parade tomorrow. I don't know if Gus or Buddha been to bed, but can't blame them if they haven't. Mo in Arizona, Hey, Mo, congratulations.
Speaker 7: Thank you. Thank you Dan.
Speaker 8: More than Dan, Dad, as you wanted me to cheer up the other day with Devin.
Speaker 7: I'm happy today.
Speaker 8: Yeah, good, good prop today, roberts Man. And I'll tell you a secret from behalf of his half to Dodger fans, even though that we won in twenty twenty, Yeah, that wasn't really right. We always took credit for it, but now that we actually got the real one, yeah, we'll admit it now.
Speaker 14: But yeah, let's go go glue.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I gotta have to go all right, mo Right, sounds a little better than he did the other day. Let me see David in Ohio. Hi, David, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 12: Hey Dan?
Speaker 14: Happy Halloween? Thank you, David, Dan pat trick or treat?
Speaker 2: Okay? Oh no, are we doing sports names?
Speaker 14: I got some Halloween sports names and they're not they're not from the nineteen eighties, so like Todd, so I think you'll like them.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay.
Speaker 14: I got kerk Halphins, I got Dacula Prescott, I got Gary Bones and the last one ce dee lamb.
Speaker 1: Whoo.
Speaker 14: That's it, thank you?
Speaker 3: Okay, Todd? Do you have Halloween sports names today? You got a T shirt on that has I do some of those?
Speaker 15: I do.
Speaker 5: We've heard a lot of them, but some people maybe.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, we're not. We're not recycling here. That's the whole bit.
Speaker 4: The whole bit is him recycling the same names over and over again for the last twenty years, and I can't invent names.
Speaker 6: That a lot of these people with whatever generation they're from, that fits the Halloween.
Speaker 2: Thing, Hamilton.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but your names are from the eighties. There's players today if you did a little more work than you could find.
Speaker 2: Yes, you got Spooky Bets.
Speaker 5: Ghost Mallson or something like that.
Speaker 2: I don't know, ma Okay ghost, Okay, I'm fine with that.
Speaker 3: But but every one of them is from your childhood, from the eighties.
Speaker 5: Like Sydney Twix, Wicks, like.
Speaker 2: That Sydney Wicks who played for UCLA. Nobody knows that Celtic Sydney Twicks. They don't. They know him from u C l A.
Speaker 5: People know Evil Knievel.
Speaker 6: Okay, right, that jumps generations literally and figurably. Okay, I had a Warren full Moon. I know that's a little bit back. But you got Dave Casper, They're all this is decades ago, Adam Graves.
Speaker 2: There we go.
Speaker 5: We got Steve Psycho Lions.
Speaker 6: Remember he pulled his pants out it for space deep Psycholiods.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when did he play?
Speaker 6: Not recently?
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly?
Speaker 5: Uh, Tory Hunter wasn't that long ago?
Speaker 6: Tory Hunter? Tory Hunter.
Speaker 2: It's terrible, is there really? You got one more?
Speaker 6: Okay? How about Uh, this goes back a little bit.
Speaker 5: They all do Cordell slash Steward.
Speaker 2: All right, great, thank you Todd.
Speaker 5: Silence of the CD that's the current guy.
Speaker 2: Okay, silence of the crage. Somebody must have helped you with that one.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: Vince in Austin, Hi, Vince, Hey.
Speaker 7: Guys, good morning, good morning.
Speaker 16: I just want to give hat.
Speaker 12: Talk to the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 16: They were the best team all year. They had all the cards and I'm an actual friend die Hard, but give them props, you know they do. They deserved it, they earned it. I'm glad we didn't lose to them. I'm glad the Yankees did. But Ritchie, I need some fantasy help. Lamar Jackson is my quarterback and he plays against the Bronco Should I sit him or should I play him?
Speaker 6: I wouldn't sit Lamar Jackson, but the Broncos defense in recent weeks this whole season has been tremendous. They went from rank like at the very bottom last year to almost the top three in almost every defensive category. I think Lamar will still get some decent points, but not the kind of points he usually gets.
Speaker 2: Well, the question would have been, who is your other quarterback.
Speaker 5: I thought he was gonna share that way. So who if there's not Lamar, who would you be playing?
Speaker 2: Mike and Hollywood joining us? Hi, Mike, how are.
Speaker 7: You good morning?
Speaker 14: Dan's a great more in the Dodgers won the World Series, and last night my whole family turned into the center for the Denver Nuggets because everybody was asking the same questions.
Speaker 17: When he's paraded, Thank you, Mike?
Speaker 3: When is parade? Uh, joker, it's it's going to happen. I must stay for prayed.
Speaker 2: No no, no, no, no, no no, I want to come home.
Speaker 18: Here September.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you win, you win an NBA championship. And then the joker when they tell him that there's a parade, win his parade.
Speaker 18: Yes, he was happier winning the silver medal with the Wiians or uh, not the silver, but the bronze with the Serbians. Well, he wasn't there because that means more to him. Yeah, the NBA is to him? Is playing overseas like going back overseas?
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, it's Novak Djokovic.
Speaker 3: I mean I was told by you know, somebody in his inner circle that the Olympic medal would mean more than winning a Grand Slam title that it was that important because it's four year country. Let me see Jason in North Carolina. Hi, jas w what's on your mind today?
Speaker 17: Oh the well, first time, long time. He Yeah, I've just had a time in on the whole Dodgers thing because I am a Yankee fan and I'm not a spooled sport. I thought it was a bad match for us.
Speaker 16: We haven't won one since oh nine, and I accept that, but.
Speaker 17: People are like, oh, nobody picked the Dodgers to win, and dude, they've been picked for the last decade straight and I don't even want to hear about that. Mickey Mouse, Tacker, Jagger and they got in Houston because that was if Kershaw didn't submit his legacy, like they would have lost that as they played front of a hostile crowd. But proposing a pole question, who should be more embarrassed about their overall completion percentage, the Dodgers winning titles over the last decade or Anthony richards to this past Sunday, Well.
Speaker 3: The Dodgers didn't say they were retired and they wanted out Anthony Richardson.
Speaker 2: He's only twenty two.
Speaker 3: That's and you try to stress that to people, you gotta have patience. It's the hardest thing for these general managers and coaches and owners to have in professional sports. Patients we want it now. Billionaires want things now. They don't like to wait, but you have to wait. And let's be fair to Anthony Richardson. He needs to learn from Joe Flacco. He needs to want to learn from Joe Flacco. And I know there are people say the only way you get better at football is playing football. I don't think that's the case with Anthony Richardson. Anthony Richardson needs to understand what it's like to be a leader. He wasn't that at Florida. He was a curiosity and he was a curiosity.
Speaker 2: In the draft.
Speaker 3: And if you were having him in the draft this year, based off his stats and what he did at Florida and the combine, he'd probably be the second quarterback off the board. Shirdor Sanders would go first. He would probably go second. But he's only twenty two and he got embarrassed, and rightfully, so make up an excuse. Don't give your teammates the impression that you're quitting on them.
Speaker 2: Whether he did or not.
Speaker 3: I mean, he was honest, and maybe he thought it was harmless, like, man, I'm tired. You know, I just ran and got tack on tired. But that signifies something else with your teammates. And you know, we've been talking about the Dodgers, all the injuries, like the pitching staff. They probably had nine guys that you know, weren't able to make it to the World Series who will be there next year? And Clayton Kershaw has said he wants to come back. Otani's going to be pitching next year, so you're going to take away some of the offense, but now you get to make that pitching staff a little more formidable. And not everybody was picking against the Dodgers, but there are a lot of people who love the Padres. And then even thought the Mets, Oh, okay, the Mets they got they had, maybe it's their year, that team of destiny. And then the Yankees with the pitching staff, so there were some doubters here. It wasn't a oh, it's the Dodgers. The Dodgers. I thought, what Dave Roberts did, I would have given him the MVP, except for Freddie Freeman. So after Freddie Freeman, I thought Dave Roberts did that good at John Yes, yes.
Speaker 18: Mark, In this climate where there's so much movement between players, how impressive is it that they've been this good for this long.
Speaker 3: Now, Well, okay, they still can go out and get show Hey and Yamamoto. They spend a billion dollars, So let's.
Speaker 18: The Yankees have too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the Yankees didn't have a good roster.
Speaker 5: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Oh, I thought you were talking about the Dodgers.
Speaker 18: That what the Dodgers have done is impressive. But you just can't give somebody the Mets spent eighty nine billion dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that doesn't mean anything.
Speaker 3: Okay, they didn't spend that much, but made my story, and they did spend a lot of money. You have to have those guys that guy, and that guy is the guy who you would not think, you would say that guy's going to beat us. But every team it feels like if you down through history, I mean, Dave Roberts had a stolen base in and the Alcs.
Speaker 2: That's it, that's it.
Speaker 3: But it was one of the biggest stolen bases in baseball history. So having those guys, that's the difference. The Dodgers had those guys like who is this, I don't know. He just got a base knock. He's two for four. Wait, we got him at the trade deadline from Saint like that's what you need. You need a pitcher who comes out of nowhere to help you.
Speaker 18: Yes, Marvin like you need an Edmund Yeah, we're like who Yes, he's almost like a Scott Broches. I don't know where Scott Broches played before he played for the Yankees. But you just needed a guy to come up big that you're not expecting to come up big. The seven Man, the eight man. Those guys win you World Series times.
Speaker 3: Those are the ones who crush you the opposition where you go, oh my god, like we're getting beat by that guy Aaron Boone Yeah when he played, Yeah.
Speaker 2: But that's who's gonna beat us.
Speaker 3: But Aaron Boone has to know that Ryan Cashman. We need Aaron boot at the bottom of the lineup. You need the guy who's batting seventh, eighth, or ninth and able to come through in a clutch moment there. But this is about the Dodgers, and rightfully so, I hope people don't get hung up on Aaron Judge dropping that ball he was looking to double up the runner. And I mean it's small things. It's covering first base. Here is the play with Garrett Cole and Anthony Rizzo.
Speaker 2: Brown Boles side Rizzo.
Speaker 1: Nobody at first, including the ball.
Speaker 9: Patrocious defense from the Yankees leading directly to a Dodger running the fifth.
Speaker 15: Again, the Dodgers take nothing for granted. Watch Mookie bets runner. He knows he's got a chance right there, and that spin and the delay right there. Cole was thinking he could take it by himself.
Speaker 3: And they talked about the spin off the bat of Mooki and therefore you couldn't charge it. I guess Rizzo couldn't attack it. He had to kind of wait for it. But Garrett Cole was walking off the mount, He's walking towards the dugout. Look at it. Small thing, small thing, but it you know, it's those things, you know, a grounder in the hole, Bultpye's throw offline, something simple. So it's not one of those where you know, Otani didn't do much, but that tells you how good that roster was. And it still felt like they were an underdog from a small market, like hey, they played like they were the Kansas City Royals. And that's a testament to to me, Dave Roberts in that locker room. And you know that that proved to be true. I think the final result. All right, let me take a break. We will have our play of the day coming up next.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wapp.
Speaker 13: Oh my god, the play of the day.
Speaker 1: This is the play of the day.
Speaker 8: Check this out.
Speaker 3: Wait no, no, no, no, no, no, no no, you're not doing Brownie James Play of the Day. No no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 2: First point. Yeah, I know Dodgers won the World Series.
Speaker 3: I mean, okay, the Dodgers didn't win last night, then maybe I'd let you get away with Ronnie scoring his first basket.
Speaker 2: Fine, give me give me the real play of the day.
Speaker 13: Oh my god, the play of the day.
Speaker 3: Play this is the play of the day.
Speaker 8: Check this out. Here's the one two pitch from Bueller got them swinging.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 9: That's a World Series Flint for La. They've done it. They've finished the job. And give Los Angeles the parade. It's been waiting for.
Speaker 3: That's courtesy of AM five seventy in the LA Sports Dodgers Radio Network prior to Wednesday's loss the Yankees in their history thirty two to zero lifetime in the postseason when leading by five or.
Speaker 2: More runs after four innings.
Speaker 3: Play the Day brought to you by tire rack dot Com The Way Tire Buying Should Be the official tire expert of the DP show. Go to tire rack dot Com slash Dan see the tire decision guide there that'll help you and make it easy for you. Full lineup of Kumo Tires, special offers, free Roadhezard Protection, Mobile tire Installation, Tire dot Com The Way Tire Buying Should Be Charlie and Daton. Hey Charlie, what's on your mind?
Speaker 8: Five ten to eighty four.
Speaker 14: I'm down twenty two pounds.
Speaker 2: Dan, Well, congrats, Charlie.
Speaker 19: I had to call you because I definitely woke up phil and jealous of the Dodgers because they have an all star team and you are witnessed to the greatest team of all time, the Big Red Machine, And I just had to ask, and maybe maybe it's not an answerable question.
Speaker 14: I don't know, but.
Speaker 19: Is it ever possible for a team like the Reds or any small market team to ever I don't even think what the Reds did back in the seventies is maybe ever doable again. But to even do a team like what the Dodgers have, is that ever possible again for.
Speaker 2: A small market No.
Speaker 3: No, And the Reds wouldn't stay together if this was modern times, because they would be offered so much money to play elsewhere. Everybody stayed together. Back then, you weren't jumping from team to team. You took pride in staying with your team. Now you can jump around and you know, nobody looks down upon that.
Speaker 18: Yes, Marv, back in those days were players getting traded that often, whether getting traded a lot or was your team your team?
Speaker 3: Well, I think for the most part, your team was your team. You know, when you think about the Big Red Machine, Pete was there for a majority of his career. Johnny Bench was there, Tony Perez was there. Tony you know, eventually I think went to Montreal, but Johnny was there. Joe Morgan came over from Houston, and you had Griffy, you had Saesar Geronimo. Now it's not the best team nationally team of all time. It might be the best lineup, but the pitching staff wasn't a great pitching staff. They were a good pitching staff, but you know, you're you're comparing apples to oranges with this was the Reds team, and you bring up a lot of those players in the minor leagues. Nowadays, you couldn't field that team. I don't know what that team would cost you if you had Rose and Bench and presd and Morgan Concepcion.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's that'd be a lot of money.
Speaker 18: Somebody would be like wan Soa, Yeah, I know we just lost the.
Speaker 3: World Series, but Mike and Wisconsin, Hi, Mike, would's on your mind?
Speaker 7: Fella's Katy Halloween.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I don't mean.
Speaker 20: I don't mean to be the bring the parade down or rain on the parade, as I should say. But to me, baseball a championship it's just different. It's it's kind of disappointing. It's such an uneven.
Speaker 12: Playing field with no salary cap.
Speaker 20: Is there anything coming in the future to kind of level that out?
Speaker 3: I don't think so. Don't think so. I mean that's the beauty of the NFL. Because the NFL wants parody. They want you one year you can be successful, Maybe the next year your schedule's tougher and you're not able to rebound, and you know, kind of mirror what that season was before. I mean, the good teams, the great teams overcome that. But they do want to have those surprise teams. They want to have the Commanders or the Falcons, like you want to have that we had the Buccaneers last year. You want to have those stories. You give every fan base hope in baseball. You don't have that there. Now you can go in and say, boy, this is going to be excited. I'm sure the White Sox probably went into this season and went, you know what, you know what, maybe we catch a couple of breaks here, and then all of a sudden you're like, nope, nope, we're not any good. There's certain like the Pirates, you have some young talent there, but you always think it's like when I watch Garrett Call with the Pirates and I went, man, he's going to look good in pinstripes or a Dodger uniform.
Speaker 2: That's what we do.
Speaker 15: Now.
Speaker 3: It's you see them and you go, boy, he look good in that uniform.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's funny that people are pointing out how dated Moneyball is now, like the two richest teams are back in the World Series. Like, you know, there's all of these different things about Moneyball that clearly don't hold up anymore.
Speaker 2: No, they didn't do.
Speaker 3: It's a good story. I mean, it's a good movie. Yeah, it never held up for me. I know, I get on my soapbuch. It was like they never at any moment mentioned the great pitching staff they had. All they talk about is Damn, Scott, Hatdiberg, David Justice, Man, he can get on base. Okay, who's on the mound for you? Oh you got Zito and Molder and Hudson, Jason israing Elson. I mean that's part of Moneyball too, is having a great pitching staff. Yes, Martmon, when I was.
Speaker 18: Younger, the Royals and the Athletics seem like teams like you know what, those are just breeding grounds for the Red Sox and the Yankees. Like Johnny Damon, he's really good. He'll be a Red Sock in about yeah, eight months.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Update the pull result seating for the first hour, we'll talk to our good buddy Joey Vado recapped the World.
Speaker 4: Series, semi mean spirited pole. Who feels worse today, Aaron Judge, Garrett Cole, Anthony Volpi, the Los Angeles Angels.
Speaker 3: I would say, Aaron Judge, does I mean Volpi's throw people? Don't you know they're not gonna God? You know, like if Jeter made that play, then be like man Jeter. Well, first of all, the captain never no, he would never make a mistake. He would never make a mistake. I think it's on Aaron Judge because he was the face of the franchise this year and didn't perform well in the postseason homeward last night. But the big air in the fifth inning, all right, one hour in the books, Two more to go on this Thursday. Fritzy Seat and Marv Yours truly