Speaker 1: R and B Money.
Speaker 2: We are.
Speaker 3: Thanks take vologized.
Speaker 1: We are the authorities, R.
Speaker 4: And B Ladies and General Jay Valentine and this is the R and B Money Podcast in today. You know what they say, black people can't swim, but I know they can as I can. And somebody writes about swimming and she's black. So are you hooligans act normal today?
Speaker 1: Okay, not.
Speaker 4: From Florida, and you know how South Florida get out without further ado, I'm going to introduce you to someone that is very special. Today we are We're gonna do something a little different. We're gonna go behind veil and introduce you to an amazing singer songwriter, rapper Doug.
Speaker 1: And the mosquitoes be chasing her down.
Speaker 5: It's a hell of a intro.
Speaker 1: He you, thank you, thank you. I'm glad.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you talk about black people know how to so I can write about swimming, but I can't swim.
Speaker 1: So no.
Speaker 5: Jamaican girl from South Florida they can't swim?
Speaker 1: What's new? It's whole time you Dine wrote this huge record.
Speaker 2: Hey man, Babyface said seventy percent of the songs he wrote had nothing to do with his life.
Speaker 5: I'm just studying the greats and being greater.
Speaker 1: You're gonna have to learn how to swim. That record is too massive, It's true, too massive.
Speaker 4: And for my extra black audience who don't know what we're talking about this yet, we talked about from the biggest records in the world, Craig in the world, bts as your kids, your kids know, all the kids know. Swim is massive and this young lady can't swim. But we you know what, We're gonna get to that. We're gonna get to that. How are you doing today. I'm good, you look amazing.
Speaker 2: I'm happy to be here. I'm so happy to be here. Thank you.
Speaker 4: This is this is like I said in the intro, this is really important because the reason we started this show was to shine light on all facets of the music business and the entertainment industry. And obviously, yes, our show is called R and B Money, so everybody thinks it always has to be RB R.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, that's.
Speaker 4: The name of our company, and that's really why we named.
Speaker 1: Show R and B Money. You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: But people like yourself are so important, you know, just to our industry and the reason why our industry is doing so well.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Everybody be trying to lie talking about a no money in the music business. Damn lie that ship somewhere, it's somewhere.
Speaker 4: We just gotta find We just gotta find it, right, So, so thank you, Thank you, first, first, and foremost.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean. And I know you.
Speaker 4: You know you're moving into a new space. You're gonna move into this artist space. We're gonna get to that. But let's start in South Florida.
Speaker 2: Yeah, little chic, little she, little little Chrissy.
Speaker 4: Give me some you know, give me, give me, give me some of the journey. How does how did this whole thing kick off for you? As far as you just wanting to be this entertainer and being this music business?
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 2: I so, I've just always been a writer, Okay. I won my first writing contest when I was like seven seven?
Speaker 1: Yeah, who decided to enter you? Or did you enter yourself?
Speaker 2: I had a teacher I wrote it was like a short story contest. I wrote a story about like this bear that sold some honey from some bees and they called him and put him on trial and found him guilty.
Speaker 1: So you was growing up and the trap is you listen.
Speaker 4: So Sugar Bear himself was slang in that you feel me, it was, you know, and he went.
Speaker 2: To jail, okay, and he went to jail. And so I just always been a writer. I just was always. I'm an aquary. So I'm really just like you like an aquarius, that that's an aquarius.
Speaker 5: But I'm the water bearer, not a water sign.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, all right, I don't know about it, but let you talk.
Speaker 2: So I just I was always a writer. And I'm the baby of eight. So I have six older sisters and an older brother, and everybody had different musical tastes. So I was just kind of like running around the house and you know, one room would be playing Outcast and one room is playing you know, more East Coast hip hop, and one room is playing like you know whatever, older motown or this and that that they liked. And my mom she really loved like Barris Hammon and like Elton John and stuff like that.
Speaker 5: So then I would get some of that.
Speaker 2: So I was just a sponge, you know what I mean, just like soaking things up. And then I would just like try to like write songs. And I just vividly remember like listening to certain artists and like trying to mimic them, like just you know.
Speaker 1: So that was the radio, was your teacher? Oh?
Speaker 5: Absolutely the radio.
Speaker 2: And and just like albums, Like my sisters they were obsessed with albums. Excuse me, they were obsessed with albums. So they would always be like listening to the music and stuff, and I would just be there, like listen, and the stuff they were listening to, I'd get my ass will if I was listen to it by myself, so, you know, and they're at school, I'm like, oh, just go sneaking their home real quick, and you know, and like listen and and then I think I just kind of like the funny thing about me when I listened to music, I never listened to music for the technicality.
Speaker 5: I always listened for the feeling.
Speaker 2: So I noticed I noticed very early on that I was trying to mimic feeling. So like whether it was the aggression in the delivery or like you know what I mean, just the pain or the yearning or the happiness or the joy or the whatever it was. I realized that I was more trying to mimic that than anything else, not really like the technical things, the technical things for me just kind of came along with it. But I noticed that and this is just for me that I was more fascinated by how things made people feel or made me feel, and I tried to imitate that.
Speaker 1: So how was your first song? Do you remember it? Yes?
Speaker 2: I was twelve and I wrote it in science class Missus Bullard, and she damn sure, I took my paper, and I know, I said, I'm crazy to that lady.
Speaker 1: Oh he's beef al what her about to absolutely bitch?
Speaker 5: Give me my paper.
Speaker 1: Oh I ain't say bitch, but that's how you felt.
Speaker 5: That's how I felt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like, don't be reading my shit? So did she read it to the class?
Speaker 2: So she just no, she just took it, OK, she just took it. And like, so what was this song about? It was just I don't even remember, like I remember the song, but like the subject matter was like it's probably just me like trying to like be you know, saucy, just like trying to like flex or some crap or whatever. But I didn't nobody really knew that I could write or sing or rap or anything till I was like seventeen.
Speaker 1: Oh, so five year span I was owning.
Speaker 2: That little craft by myself, like I just and I would just write books and books and books and songs. And then I used to spend all excuse me, I used to spend all my summers in Jamaica. So I would go to Jamaica and telling my cousins like there was like songs that wanted radio popular songs or whatever.
Speaker 5: And I'd be telling my cousins like.
Speaker 1: You wrote it.
Speaker 2: You notice my song? Oh my god, like hell yeah, be performing it and everything. You had to see me one crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wrote you should let me love you absolutely what.
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean they don't, yeah, because I'm right that, yes she did.
Speaker 5: It was a time, okay, line my ass off on summer vacation was.
Speaker 4: Literally going on vacation to your family house telling them you wrote all these and how are you this point sixteen?
Speaker 2: Oh no, this was way before that. I was probably like eleven. Oh shit, like yeah.
Speaker 1: This is a thing.
Speaker 2: I was like again, and I was telling my cousins like, yeah, these are my songs. I mean they're like eight and nine. So like just over there, line my ass off.
Speaker 1: But you know you're speaking into existence.
Speaker 2: I mean that's what we're gonna call it now, yeah, you know what I mean, that's what.
Speaker 5: We call it now.
Speaker 2: But so that was just a lot of I guess early artists development.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then.
Speaker 2: I never took I really wasn't taking music serious. Like I did everything but music.
Speaker 1: So I was what are the other things you were doing?
Speaker 5: You were who sent you?
Speaker 1: Oh hang out?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm joking, no, but I did, like.
Speaker 1: Florida City Girl herself is here.
Speaker 2: Look man, listen, we don't judge, but no, I mean, like at least you honestly. But you know, like when I was in high school, I duel enroll college and high school and I got like a degree in child development while I was getting my high school diploma. And then so I did work as like a teacher for like a short period and then I would just be like, oh, I'm going to like dip in music and dip out and then I would like do music on the artist's side and then just stop.
Speaker 5: And then at one point.
Speaker 2: I had quit music for probably about like five years years. I didn't do nothing like like before that. I was like really like going crazy on my artist stuff, and I was like performing overseas and doing all the things. And then I just got fed up and I just stopped.
Speaker 1: Oh so you had motion with it and everything.
Speaker 2: And I just quit because I was just fed up. Why I think I had gotten to a place where I had carried myself as far as I could go. And one thing about us as artists, we will dey ourselves to death, like that whole shit about Oh yeah, like I did all this shit. That shit is not a flex Like I don't believe in burnout culture. I don't believe. I mean, I believe I'm a hard worker, don't get me wrong, but for me, it's like I'm you. You can you can work yourself to a point where you're just busy and not productive.
Speaker 1: It's the hamster wheel.
Speaker 2: And I feel like I had kind of gotten to that place where I was just doing shit. And it's not that it wasn't it. It's not that things weren't like moving, because they were. But it's like as things are growing, it's like things are growing, but my teethes isn't growing because I'm still trying to balance everything on my own and I didn't know how to ask for help. And the people that the people that I would ask for help, it was like they can't help you, you know, so I just got annoyed and was like, fuck this shit, I'm done.
Speaker 4: And at this point, purely artists. You're not writing for other people.
Speaker 5: I didn't know that was a thing.
Speaker 1: Wait, but you told your people you were.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, no, no, I did it.
Speaker 2: Hold on, hold on, see that right there, that's me just lying at like age eleven.
Speaker 1: But real shit that I did. I did it.
Speaker 2: Songwriting was an occupation. I didn't know that I fell into songwriting. I didn't actively pursue songwriting.
Speaker 1: So South Florida really is its own world.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, Huh.
Speaker 4: You did not know that that was occupation, This is something you could do with your life.
Speaker 2: No, I thought that you had to. I thought the artist was everything right. I didn't know that, Like there's a room of people, and I didn't, and hence why I ended up getting burnt out. I didn't understand the collaborative process. I didn't understand that things take a team. I didn't understand that.
Speaker 1: Did you not know anyone who had ever been in a music business at this point?
Speaker 5: No, I don't come from a background of music.
Speaker 2: I come from a background of hustlers and hard workers, you know, like I'm Jamaican, you know, they about us were gonna have five jobs minutes. I can, That's what I But you know, so I come from hard workers, but I don't come from like this musical background.
Speaker 5: I'm the first in my family.
Speaker 1: How did your family take to that?
Speaker 5: I have the most supportive family on this planet. My family is fucking incredible.
Speaker 2: My mother is If I tell my mama, I'm jumping off a bridge, she gonna be like, well, it looked kind of high, but metrust you.
Speaker 1: She's gonna be like, where should I be? Stand over there? You want me to film it? Like?
Speaker 2: Yeah, my family puts like I I've only been able to operate at the capacity that I have because my family is so supportive.
Speaker 4: It's just something to that. Yeah, yeah, no, no, no, I get it. I get it all right.
Speaker 1: So you quit?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I ain't gonna ask you what you've done with you know, the things that you were doing after you quit, because I don't.
Speaker 1: Have no wire.
Speaker 4: I'm not wearing one, and I don't want, you know, I don't want to be put in that box. So when you come back from uh, what is it that sabbatical?
Speaker 1: Is that what we'll call with that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, from your sabbatical and you come back into the not even the music industry at this point, because you don't feel like you're in the music industry, you're just doing music.
Speaker 5: Well, I didn't even come back.
Speaker 1: I got dragged, you know what.
Speaker 4: That's what happens with talented people. At times. We identify them and say, hey, you need to be over here.
Speaker 5: Well that's all.
Speaker 2: So what happens when you think that you're going to control a destiny that was written before you were even a thought.
Speaker 5: And that's what that space, that time in my life taught me.
Speaker 2: I was I went to Atlanta, a place that at first I was like, I'm never going to Atlanta. I had nothing against Atlanta. I just was so South Florida, like I'm not going there, you know. And I ended up going to Atlanta to visit, and I was like, who do I know here?
Speaker 5: And here's a producer named Needles.
Speaker 1: My brother, my brother, great.
Speaker 2: Person, amazing, It's somebody that I I could do a whole podcast on just how amazing he is. But I called him and I was just like, Hey, I'm in Atlanta visiting, and he was like, come to my studio and I was like okay. So I pull up on him and He was like, where the fuck you Ben? And I'm like, man, I've been in a trap doing bullshit bullshit like and he's like, so you not. He was like you had all this motion, like I was excited and then you just disappeared. And I was like, I'm tired, and he was like absolutely not.
Speaker 1: Were you going by sheic then too? Or no?
Speaker 2: I was always yeah, it was always yep, okay. But I was just like I'm tired, and he was like, nah, we're not doing that. He was like, go to Florida, pack your ship and get back to Atlanta now. Oh shit, And I was like, what do I have to lose?
Speaker 5: Nothing? So I went to Miami and packed my shit and moved to Atlanta.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, so now you're in Atlanta. Cause I thought she's gonna be like, oh, I don't know how that you went. You took it. You said that I'm coming, Let me ta take this opportunity.
Speaker 5: I don't got no kids yet, no husband yet. There's no reason, you know what I mean. When you don't have.
Speaker 2: Certain things, it's like it ain't if you have an excuse, that's that's self made, you know what I mean. Like for me, it was like, what, what's the real excuse? There is none, you know what I mean. So just do what the man said, go pack your ship and get back here when.
Speaker 1: You come back to Atlanta.
Speaker 4: Now, when you go pack your shit, the intention is to be an artist or to be a writer. Now now just Bill still artists, still hyperfocused because needles.
Speaker 2: For him, it was like I saw you perform overseas. I saw you do all these things, so I know what you're capable of, so we need to hone in on that. So I'm like, all right, cool, So we're doing that. And in the midst of us, excuse me, in the midst of us doing all of that, he would play the music for people and they'd be like, who's writing for her? And that was the first time I had ever heard that question, because I had heard, like there would be guys that would say little things sometimes like they'd be like, yo, whoever's writing for her is sick? And I'd be like, like, what is it like? But somebody actually asking me like who's writing this?
Speaker 5: And I was, honestly, I was I wasn't even offended.
Speaker 2: I was confused. I was just like, what do you mean? Like I'm writing it? And then it would be like, oh, well, can I get you over here to write the past?
Speaker 1: And I was like, okay, cool.
Speaker 2: So I started doing that and in the first year that I was open to it, there were three three big fish okay, and with the people at the time who it was, they were massive artists. But the albums they they cut my records. But the albums never came.
Speaker 1: Out for whatever reason.
Speaker 2: But what it let me know was that I was onto something. I wasn't even upset about the album's not coming out. I was just like, oh, it was a a proof of concept for me. It was just like, oh, all right, like I can, I can do this right. So that's when I was like, all right, let me just take it a little more serious. And then COVID hit.
Speaker 1: So when COVID hit, do you go back to Florida?
Speaker 2: No, I was still in Atlanta because baby Atlanta was open.
Speaker 1: Florida. I thought I thought Florida was over. I like Atlanta. I think it was still smoking hookahs, hook in each other's face, ship babe. Atlanta had to be there. No, I didn't want you. I wanted no parts. I wanted no parts.
Speaker 2: Atlanta was a crazy time. Atlanta COVID and Atlanta was unmatched.
Speaker 4: Unmatched, Yeah, because I'm sure there was some ships and PPPs and all of yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the people, the people were outside.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, it was out and the money was floyd and the money was and the money was floored.
Speaker 5: Times would be a had listen.
Speaker 2: So during that time, I mean, I stayed in Atlanta and I was kind of in a limbo.
Speaker 5: I didn't really know like what to do.
Speaker 2: I was just still like working on artists stuff and you know, but no one was really doing sessions and you know what I mean. And then there were like the Zoom sessions, but I personally am not a fan of those kind of sessions. I feel like they're not really this was something about person to person, like you know what I mean. Like the Zoom sessions for me were just like eh, So I didn't really know like what was happening. And then a good friend of mine, Chris Patterson that's my dog, shout out to him. He hit me one day and was like, yo, this is probably I want to say. We were like mids like not at like the beginning of COVID. I wanted this like twenty twenty one ish, excuse me, and He's like, Yo, do you want to go to LA and do some stuff for Insecure the show? And I was like okay, like I'll do it. But he was like the only thing though, is that, like you got to be vaccinated. And I was like shit because I didn't get the vaccination. And then I was like, yo, what fuck it? Because at that time, you know, they were making us feel like COVID was like over here forever. So I was like, well, it's either gonna be I'm never gonna work in this town again, or you know, I'm gonna go get this little vaccine.
Speaker 5: So I was just like fucking let me just go get this out. I went and got it.
Speaker 2: And then and I went to a camp that Issa's company radio ad for Insecure was for season five. And as I was there, I was like talking to this guy and you know, I'm just I'm just talking.
Speaker 5: We just talking about food and whatever else.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, yeah, cause you know, I'm from South Florida and you know, I'm like Jamaican and you know I love Haitian food and I love this and that.
Speaker 5: He's like, oh, I'm patient. I'm like, oh cool, We're just talking.
Speaker 2: So then I get a call like an hour later and was like, hey, you were just talking to a guy named Phelipe And I was like yeah, and they were like yeah, Philip is like the head of music supervision for her company. They got a new show coming out called rap Shit and you must have told him you were from Miami and he really wants you to be a part of oh Shit.
Speaker 1: And I was like, oh, just being willing to talk to somebody.
Speaker 2: Just being willing to talk, and just being like not being an asshole, like just being respectful, just like having an identity that exists outside of what you do for a living, because that's another thing, like some people don't even know how to hold a conversation outside of their job or their acay vasion. Yeah, and and so I was like okay, cool, and I stayed behind and we started on Rap Shit Season one, and so I worked on I was like the main pen behind the character Mia.
Speaker 1: So these are your in the sense your first placements.
Speaker 2: Yes, My very very very very very first placement was the Georgia Lottery. I wrote a jingle for the Georgia Lottery. That's a fun fact. But after that, yeah.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, we think we ain't gonna. We ain't just gonna over there.
Speaker 2: You was writing jingles, I was writing jingles. You gotta start somewhere, man, can you sing the jingle?
Speaker 1: Please?
Speaker 2: No, come on, I got it here? Did you at least tell me what what was you saying? They had a character named Aunt Edith. She was like this ninety year old lady that hit the jackpot and was going crazy. She was buying like pink poodles, diamonds like I had her out here, stunting like she was flexing. It was like, oh my god, out with my ladies, manni's and petties.
Speaker 1: What was it?
Speaker 2: Edith made it walking around pinch there, walking around, jet sitting pete poodle, diamond wearing like she was really doing this.
Speaker 5: She was performing into everything.
Speaker 1: Wait, wait what she was? I got there's a real character.
Speaker 5: Yes, she was an actress.
Speaker 1: Who went and started performing.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I had to vocal producer. I was vocal producing this eighty that. She was like eighty five years old. Somewhere around there, I think, man, shout out to Edith was going crazy. She was performing this shit got the Hawks games only Atlanta, only Atlanta, only Atlanta, only Atlanta.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you know it is. The show is called on RB money. What did they pay you for Georgia Lottery jingle? Do you remember? I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't.
Speaker 2: It wasn't a lot of money though, But at that point I think for me, it wasn't even about the money. It was like, look, I am a firm believer in you have to earn your no. Okay, I live by that. You have to earn your no when you are trying to get somewhere. You better if somebody say I need I need you to write a song out of a squeaky chair, you better do that shit. You at least try listen, do everything at least once, as long as it's not you know, putting you in a compromising position with your integrities. You're more's whatever you're saying for. I don't believe in that. But you get that call one o'clock in the morning, Hey can you come to studio? You better get your ass up. You if your opportunity for something. Because when I did that for the Georgia Lottery, even though it was like you know, now you laugh about it and you're like, oh whatever, but at the time it was like, oh wait a minute, like this is existing on television.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's existing in a place, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: And so it's and then you now when you go into rooms, you have something to say, you know, and I don't think people understand the power of that, you know what I mean, like to just show that you're working or that you're capable, like we all start somewhere.
Speaker 4: So that was my that's that's actually dope though. Yeah, it's actually dope. And you know, I'm going to look it up to I.
Speaker 2: Got send you the video having to please I need it. I need it, people tagging me in it. For the longest it was so funny.
Speaker 1: So now you're on.
Speaker 4: The writing team for rap shit, yes, and who's the character you're writing for on there?
Speaker 5: Mia for mea Yeah.
Speaker 4: Are those songs also being distributed as well?
Speaker 1: Or is it just purely for the show.
Speaker 2: For the show, But the show also has a soundtrack, so the songs are also on the soundtrack.
Speaker 5: And then I was like contributing to other songs.
Speaker 4: For the sound you get writing the TV money, yeah, which was which was cool this and TV money is nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and building a great relationship with the radio team and you know, stuff like that. And then in the midst of all that, you know, like I'm still like working like a couple of days a week, but then still hustling. Like I worked as a stylist for a little while, so I'd get like styling gigs, and you know.
Speaker 4: And you are when you come to write for Rapture? Do you stay in la or do you go back to Atlanta?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 5: I was back.
Speaker 1: You're back and forth yep, And you're styling in.
Speaker 2: Atlanta and in ls styling in Atlanta or New York or wherever. Like one thing about me, If you tell me there's an opportunity somewhere, I'm gonna go.
Speaker 4: Hey, were you styling for artists directly or were you just styling.
Speaker 1: For What were you styling for?
Speaker 2: So one of the things that I had styled during that time was it was a short film, independent film.
Speaker 5: It was called around ninety nine. It was like starring jaw Rules.
Speaker 2: So I was styling him and like all the characters and stuff for the cast. But then it was funny because that led to me styling styling Rock Kim. Sure, So I styled Rock Kim for like his concert at like Sony Music called him and his whole entire band and stuff like that.
Speaker 5: Styling is a lot of work though that only imagine.
Speaker 4: So, so, was it just something that you just dove into on your own word, or did somebody say, you know what you fly?
Speaker 1: Would you mind you know, helping us with this?
Speaker 5: You know what it is? It's like I'm I'm a multi hyphen it right for sure?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's and the thing is, I'm more than being a multi hyphen it. I'm determined. So if somebody says to me, you know, how do you if I want to know how to do something, A lot of things that I learned how to do came from me just not having the budget. So when I learned how to style, it was because I couldn't afford a stylist, right.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: When I was writing my own music is because I just thought that's that's what it was. You had to write your own music. And anything that I do is just because I'm like, oh, well I want this.
Speaker 5: It's really a no brainer. It's like I want this, How do you do it?
Speaker 1: How do you do it?
Speaker 2: It's really simple, you know what I mean. So, and then opportunities just kind of go.
Speaker 1: So, you know, one lead because.
Speaker 4: I made sure you were always there was the opportunity. You were always showed up.
Speaker 5: Even the ones I didn't want to do.
Speaker 4: And that's huge, Yeah, that's huge. Just so many people like you said, earning your.
Speaker 5: No, yep, And at that time I hadn't earned mind out.
Speaker 1: But there's so many people who believe that, oh, that's just not for me.
Speaker 5: No, you don't know what's for you.
Speaker 4: That opportunity that could be around the corner is now for not for you either at this point.
Speaker 5: And the thing is is that listen, true story.
Speaker 2: I was working with these girls one time, and they were a girl group, and they the manager had brought me in to do some writing and stuff for them. And as I was working with them, they were really talented, but I wasn't sure what was really happening with them, you know what I mean, because they weren't they they were still developing, so I wasn't really sure of what was happening.
Speaker 5: So I was just like, you know, whatever.
Speaker 2: And then sometimes when you're working with artists that are still developing or whatever the case is, especially if you don't have a background in the business, it's hard to understand the pipeline and understand what it takes to develop an artist and that you know, the quiet moments are normal or like the building is not as exciting as you might think it is.
Speaker 5: So I would be I would just go to.
Speaker 2: These sessions and do the work, and no matter what if I'm in the room, if I if I say I'm gonna be in the room, I'm not gonna come in there and be half assed.
Speaker 5: I don't care if it's.
Speaker 2: A big artist a small artist. I'm giving it my best because I agreed to be there. So I go to one of the sessions one day and there's this guy sitting in the corner and he's super quiet, and I'm just kind of like, you know, I'm always just paying attention to my surroundings.
Speaker 5: I'm like, what the fuck do mother fuger?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: But he's super quiet. Hein't really saying too much, so I'm like, all right, whatever. So I'm working with the girls, working with the girls, so a couple hours ago back he really wasn't saying much at all. And then finally he comes up to me and he's like, hey, can we change information? And I was just like okay. Creative to creative, it was nothing like creepy and I was just like, all right, cool. So then he goes to me, I think you'd be really cool to bring you into work with Missy Elliott.
Speaker 5: And I was like what.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, this guy's been sitting quiet as hell in the corner the whole time, and in my head.
Speaker 5: I'm like, you fucking miss right.
Speaker 2: So he calls me like two weeks later, twelve o'clock at night, yo, can you pull up to the studio.
Speaker 1: For what?
Speaker 2: He's like, Missy's here. I want you to And I was like all right. So I'm not really sure what's happening. It's Atlanta. Ain't gonna lie. I got my little little bodyguard with me and I'm speeding down little bodyguard, so I'm speeding on the highway studio. He tells us to go to anybody's from it lea.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 5: The distance from Midtown, where I was living at the time, to Alpharetta.
Speaker 1: Is yes, okay, yep.
Speaker 5: He was like, I need you hear in fifteen minutes you all right?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 5: So I'm like, ain't no way I'm gonna get there in fifteen minutes. But I'm gonna just say yes and figure it out. I ain't put on no makeup.
Speaker 1: Guess what.
Speaker 2: It wasn't my show. It wasn't time for that. You're telling me I need to come there and work with Missie Elliot. I'm coming. So I get my ass up. I'm speeding, speeding, okay, exit, get to the studio. I'm like, what kind of fucking studio is this? It's an ice skating rink? Right, you know exactly what I'm talking about. Yo, I'm looking and I'm ice skating. It ain't no fucking way. This is a real studio.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 5: So I got my you are, I'm a bodyguard.
Speaker 1: And my jackets.
Speaker 2: So I'm looking through the whole parking lot and I see one car to the back and it got a covering on but I could see at the bottom and it was like a lime I think it was like a lime greenish color or something. And I was like, Missy's a car person. I said that gotta be her car, all right, because for me, I'm scope, but just to make sure that, yeah, I'm safe, you know what I mean, because just you know, you gotta always do that. So I get there and it's the guy who I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: Shout out to him.
Speaker 5: He's my brother's Corte, it's my dog, and he goes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like Missy's here, like I once you come work, and I was just like okay, cool. So it's me and a couple other guys and I didn't really know any of the other guys or whatever. And Missy is you know how they say like nobody sees her record anything or anything like that, like you don't watch her work at all, Like that is very very true.
Speaker 5: So I didn't know what was happening, but I just knew I showed up.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So the guys are kind of like writing some stuff for her, and I'm listening to the stuff that they're saying, and it was no shade, but it's like, yeah, I need me something with some money.
Speaker 1: Motherfucker. Missy is the.
Speaker 5: Nigga with the money. What are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Missy has all the money through that car under there was either a Ferrari or Lamborghaine. It was something crazy something.
Speaker 2: Yes, So here's the thing and this and this is this is where integrity and just want to do the right thing comes into play.
Speaker 5: We didn't know that she was outside the door listening.
Speaker 2: So I go in there because you know, I do my homework before I get there and I'm trying to because that's the thing about songwriting is people don't realize like how mental it is right and spiritual it is, because you literally have to take on another energy, yes, and you have to absorb that and become it right. So I'm like, okay, I'm sitting there. I'm like, all right, if I was Missy mind you. I don't have no big places at the time, so I'm like, if I was Missy whatever. So I'm in there and I'm working. So Corte comes in the room and he's like, hey, y'all, can we talk to shek real quick.
Speaker 5: I'm like, ah, ship, what the hell out undead?
Speaker 2: So I got my bodyguard man listen, I'm like, what the hell out undead. I'm just like nervous as fuck, and I'm like, they about to tell what ever?
Speaker 5: So the guys come out the room.
Speaker 2: The Corte's like, he looks at the engineer and goes, delete all that shit they was doing. We about to give you another a whole other hard drive. That Missy got some ideas she wants she to work on these by herself, and I was like, oh, okay, cool, And she came in the room and we got to talking, and that was one of the best moments of my career because just being able to even like, first of all, she's someone I look up to, Like, my goal in my career is to be this generation's Missy Elliott in terms of like and I got some big shoes to feeling a long way to go, but in terms of how she exists, how she exists as a creative, whether she's in the back or in the front, or a producer or a songwriter or an artist, and just her creativity and how she pushes like Missy and even with her like how she started you know what I mean, and everything, like I being able to sit there and just talk with her, and she gave me a piece of advice that I still take with me till now. Whereas when she said to me, because I don't like the booth, I don't record in booths. I hate the booth. It's a disconnect for me, okay, And I said, well, yeah, I was. I said something how it came up, and I was like, yeah, I don't really like the booth. And she goes, listen to me, She said, whatever people need, whatever you need to be your best. When someone wants something from you, never be afraid to ask for it. And she was like, it don't matter if it's white, Eminem's can whatever.
Speaker 5: She said, when somebody asked you for something.
Speaker 2: Whatever you need to deliver at your best, don't ever be afraid to ask for it. I've taken it with me. I will continue to take that with me. And it's just the truth, like if I know that I require this to give you because if I come up, if I come and I'm doing bullshit and I'm not asking you for the things I need, whether it is that make you comfortable, comfortable or gis you didn't need like five baby doves.
Speaker 1: All you asked for was teeth.
Speaker 5: That's all I asked for And I haven't even you know.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 5: That's all I needed.
Speaker 1: That's it. I'm easy.
Speaker 2: So she she taught me that, and you know again like shout out courte for that. That's something that I take with me, you know, like throughout my career and I've been able to pass to like other girls. You know what I mean, because as women, sometimes you're very afraid to ask for things in the studio you know, or you know or you're just afraid to rock rooms, to shake a room, and it's like you're not shaking the room by telling somebody that you know, this is not loud enough or this is not this, or it's like what do you need It's okay, do you need everybody to get out? I don't work well with a million people in the room.
Speaker 4: I think I think it's it's important just to just to let women know.
Speaker 1: That you guys have earned the right to be there. It's a reason why you're there exactly, you know.
Speaker 4: So if you are in that room and you've made it to that room, your presence has to be felt, it has.
Speaker 5: To be felt. And the thing is to me.
Speaker 2: I can listen, I can listen to records, and I can tell when there's no female energy in the room that their female energy is a thing.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, it is a thing.
Speaker 2: It's a it's a balance, it's a balance, and you can hear it a lot of times. Like there are songs I can listen, I can hear that we're written for like women and you know, the female artists like they sing them or whatever it is, and there's certain lines I'm like.
Speaker 1: Boy, you know, good and fucking will no woman talk like that? Right? Right, like, we don't.
Speaker 2: We don't speak that way you right now. From a perspective of how you wish a woman would speak to you, there's that too, because not how they talk, that's how you wish they would talk, and that's different.
Speaker 4: But I think from a from a from a writer's perspective, as a man who's written a lot of records for women, I just always ask questions. I've always I've always just been inquisitive about whoever I'm writing for are with.
Speaker 1: To just be like, Okay, how do you feel? How did that feel?
Speaker 5: But that's a lost art.
Speaker 1: How do you what did you talk about?
Speaker 4: Like what did you say when you found such and such? Like what's your real reaction?
Speaker 2: But that is a skill and a gift in itself because that approach. I learned that from watching Jimmy jam and Terry Lewis interviews, right, And I heard the story of when they had Jane Jackson and they were working on well, they didn't know what they were working on at the time. They knew they were going to work with her, and they spent a few days with her, going to the movies all the things, and finally they asked her, you know if you could have anything you want in life, what would it be right now?
Speaker 5: Her answer was Control, And they wrote the Control album.
Speaker 2: And so when I watched that, I was like, Oh, this is how I want to approach things, and I'm going to tell you something. I personally think that that has contributed to a lot of my success is because I know how to respect people as individuals.
Speaker 5: I don't go into a room just assuming.
Speaker 2: That you you know, like sushi, or you want to be with eight dudes or this and that. There's some girls that I've gone into rooms and I'm always having conversations and by the time I'm done talking to them, I'm like, you sure you don't want to do gospel cause I don't know if this is.
Speaker 4: For you, you know, and like, but.
Speaker 5: That's but you know, but people feel seen.
Speaker 2: People feel seen, and at the end of the day, there's a bullying that takes place sometimes from producer to artists or songwriter artists where it's like, no, you need to say this, and it's like they don't need to say shit. That's not your job. Your job is to go in there and bring out the best in them. You don't know them like that. I don't care what the fuck you read on the internet. People see in stories all damn day for sure. So it's like, why are you so why are you so afraid to ask a fucking question? Just ask them how they feel, you know what I mean? Like, are you do you want to talk about this? Don't do you want to talk about that?
Speaker 1: Do you want?
Speaker 5: Whatever it is?
Speaker 2: But respect people's individuality.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 4: Everybody says they want to be collaborative until it's time to collaborate, like truly, but.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna tell you something.
Speaker 2: Needles is the one that taught me about the power of collaboration because before that, again, like I said, people will do I wi themselves into the floor.
Speaker 5: I didn't know and I never figet. He told me.
Speaker 2: He was like she'd listened to me. He was like, I used to do everything by myself. He's like the record that changed my career, which was just the way you are he did for Bruno Mars. He said that was a collaborative record. He said that record has been paying me for the past thirteen years.
Speaker 1: I don't give him.
Speaker 5: About doing anything by myself whoever we need.
Speaker 2: And then also to like just other creators that I admire so much, when you watch them work and you see how many people are in the room and how many people it really takes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're just going after the ultimate goal, which is a hit record.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it. However, you get to that point.
Speaker 4: Now, when you get there, you know, obviously sometimes people have what we call it azia. I won't even call it ego. I just call it am Niche.
Speaker 1: Did what and how it was done?
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: But that's why I'm also like, especially since I got you here, even just the business side of it, I am an advocate for handling the business day of.
Speaker 1: I know it's tough, it is.
Speaker 4: But I tell you young writers and older writers, shit, but you young writers, get that split sheet done, get it done, have everybody signed their signature on it. Don't have to argue about it. But when those publishing splits come in at one hundred and seventeen percent, that don't fucking exist in a song, No, motherfuckers.
Speaker 2: It don't imagine. I asked if I could curse on this podcast.
Speaker 4: I'd be cussing my ass off. But that's the thing. Those are the things that really make me cuss and make me mad. It ain't much, but make me mad. I don't know, right, but I just I hate that. Yeah, when it's now okay, the song is out and now that don't even it doesn't add up to one hundreds beyond one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, also to it. It's they're hard conversations to have, yes, but easier if it's on the table early, early, and even if you don't want to have it. That's what you got a team for, you know. But if you're at an early place where you don't have the team, you cannot be afraid to have those conversations.
Speaker 5: And I'm gonna tell you this.
Speaker 2: Anybody that gives you any kind of attitude, backlash or anything about trying to have that conversation, don't mean you will.
Speaker 5: Anybody that is like, you.
Speaker 2: Know what, cool I got? I got you, like, you know whatever, it's like all right. But anybody that's like, why are we talking about? It's like you just you don't mean you.
Speaker 4: You know what I what I tell people and something I live by. I'm important and I am an asset And the worst thing I can do to you is not work with you.
Speaker 1: That's it. That's it.
Speaker 4: I ain't got a beef with nobody. Okay, you know what I'm gonna take less on this one. Yeah, at some point you're going to call me again, and my immediate response is going to be.
Speaker 1: I can't do that. That's it. And you know why, always mean, you know why, that's it.
Speaker 4: You think your ten percent is worth twenty five and you know it was ten and I gave you twenty so we would both feel good.
Speaker 1: I'm never doing it again with you again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And we just have to we have to understand how important we are.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 5: And I think too.
Speaker 2: I have something I say all the time, Eddie Murphy and Will Smith don't have a movie together.
Speaker 1: They don't.
Speaker 5: And what I mean by that is.
Speaker 1: I think you're about to start some shit though, but.
Speaker 2: I don't, right, But what I mean is, we ain't got to work with everybody. Like Eddie Murphy and Will Smith don't have a movie together, and they are both successful, iconic, legendary at the highest level. And it doesn't mean they have beef. I don't want to say I don't want to make it seem like something. It probably just happened that way, right, But this whole notion of like, no, everybody gotta work with it, It's not like that, Like you should in the beginning parts of your career, like or even sometimes you know, like do the session. But if a shoe don't fit, it's not the end of the fucking world.
Speaker 1: You're the fool. If it happens to you again, that's it you are.
Speaker 2: And the thing is is like there's a precedence that you said very early in your career, and people talk, and if you are not and I'm not saying you gotta be nasty, because I don't believe in that, but you do need to be assertive and you do need to be serious about your business because people talk. And if somebody gets over on you and then they're part of something else and they see that you're it'd.
Speaker 5: Be like, oh, well they ain't finna say shit, or like you know, so part of me.
Speaker 1: But you have to.
Speaker 5: You have to.
Speaker 2: It is it is your responsibility to decide how you want to be handled in this business and how you want to be respected, and what you want the trajectory of your career and what you want your creer to look like.
Speaker 5: Like that's nobody else's job. If you if you sit.
Speaker 2: There and you know, continuously take the short end of the stick. You can't cry about always getting the short end of the stick because you the one taking it, because they gonna try everybody.
Speaker 1: How long did it take you to start understanding the business?
Speaker 5: Ooh baby, I'm still trying to understand the business.
Speaker 2: I don't love, I don't I don't think. I don't think any of us fully know it. It's such an ever growing and ever changing and evolving business. Like just when you think you figured out streaming a new law, you know what I mean, just when you think you figured out, oh this is how blah blah blah blah blah. It's just constantly growing and evolving, and you know, you'll do things for a long time and you'll think it's normal, and then you get into another situation where finally somebody's actually being honest and you're like, wait a minute. The whole time, so sometimes you're getting jerked around and you didn't even you know what I mean. So I think, like, just I'm constantly I'm constantly a student, constantly a student, you know what I mean. I don't know everything, and any day that I feel like I know everything, that's the end of me because you don't, you know what I mean? I know what I know, but if good and I know it feels good, and and if I don't know something, I'm not afraid to ask questions. I'm not afraid to go do some research. You know, you a fucking idiot. If you want to sit there pretending like you know everything, you only hurting yourself. Like, just just ask, just ask, you know, Because as much as there's like messed up people in this business, there are incredible people in this business too, you know, there are I have some of the greatest people I know in life I met in this business. So there's this whole thing about like, oh the business, and yeah, the business is messed up, but everybody's not fucked up. There are people that will tell you what you need to know.
Speaker 1: It's just life. You're gonna be good people, great people, bad people, horrible people.
Speaker 4: It's levels to all of it, and there's always another side of it.
Speaker 1: But it's something that you said earlier. Even with it.
Speaker 4: Like you said about writing records, you wrote records chasing a feeling. We also have to do business chasing a feeling. Absolutely, if it does not feel right to you, it's not right.
Speaker 1: It's not right for you.
Speaker 4: You one else, but not for you, but for you, and I think we get away from that. Some peopeople like, oh man, well, so why did you do that deal? They offered me more money hmm, and now you're fucked. Yeah, and now you feel fucked and you feel like they fucked you over. But truthfully, they might not have at all. They might not even been a bad deal in itself. It just may not have worked for you because there the things that were in place where the more money will us over. Then where the feeling of somebody who's going to fight for you. You know, it could be somebody coming up to you like, you know what, I rock with you, but I only got this.
Speaker 5: But you also have to you have to know what your needs are.
Speaker 2: Like anytime somebody calls me and asks me for advice, the first thing I asked them is what are your goals?
Speaker 5: What do you need?
Speaker 2: There's some people that need the money and they don't care about the back end. And if that's what, Yeah, you got to remember remember that when it dried up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got to remember that I needed that break.
Speaker 5: I needed that bread, and that's why I made this.
Speaker 1: Decision, my first deal. I needed that breade.
Speaker 2: Listen, I don't care who you are there's not one creative that could ever tell me they ain't fuck up their first bag. We have all fucked the money up at least once, at minimum more device or three.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: Listen, but it's also but also a driver, right or it's no for real, like it's real. It's motivation. And that's why when people be like, well why did they buy a plane because the cars wasn't getting them out of bed every day?
Speaker 3: No more.
Speaker 4: Let's just be real, nieces, Like listen, I'm trying to figure out how to buy this G five, So I got to work a little harder, you know what I mean. Things have to motivate you, whatever that is. So sometimes going broke.
Speaker 1: Yeah, motivate you. You get back on your the greatest song about life way I'm.
Speaker 5: Back, wait till I get my money right.
Speaker 1: It's all part of the process, and you know it's it's to me.
Speaker 4: It's what gets us all going, and it's it helps in our service to the world. Yeah, we're here to entertain, We're here to give feeling. We're here to make people feel a certain way about what we're doing, about what they're doing. And sometimes we just were able to worry better than others. You know some of these songs, I'm not sure, but you.
Speaker 5: Know, but you know, go crazy, go on. Somebody need to hear.
Speaker 2: Not have been me, yeah, but somebody somewhere needed to hear.
Speaker 4: It's okay. So what's your first big record that you can that you felt like, I've arrived. I've done it the ship I was shooting for.
Speaker 5: I had the honor.
Speaker 1: Come on, I love this record.
Speaker 5: I'm grateful for everything I do.
Speaker 1: So I've had.
Speaker 2: I had the honor being a part of I was a co writer on Red Ruby a Sueeze.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 4: I love that song and I love the fact that y'all it was great. Yeah, great song.
Speaker 2: So that record, that record definitely changed the trajectory of my career for sure.
Speaker 5: And it kind of you know that record.
Speaker 2: That was just a crazy moment when that record took off. Like the text messages that went unanswered for years. Ah, they mails that never got to respond in real time. I was just watching my phone and I was just like wow, And I wasn't even upset.
Speaker 5: You can't be.
Speaker 4: You can't be, because what you have to understand in business, not even in our business, but in business, everybody's busy. Yeah, and if you are not an asset your liability.
Speaker 2: And you know, look, look, once I learned politics, my my career changed. I stopped taking everything personal because before you learn politics in this business, you will think something is wrong with you, right, and ain't gonna lie.
Speaker 5: Some of y'all suck, But.
Speaker 2: For the ones that you know, you're good and people are constantly hearing your shit, and it's like, damn, this is hard.
Speaker 5: This is hard. Listen you.
Speaker 2: There's been times I remember that I would hear a song and I'd be like, man, I was gunning for the same thing. This is trash. I know the shit that I did was better. But when you start realizing who's connected to who and who owes, who will favor and all that other shit, you're like, oh, okay, so play ball, motherfucker. Like I don't you gotta just play ball? You know what I mean? You have to figure out what your strategy is.
Speaker 1: For me.
Speaker 2: My strategy has always been movement. Right, Like I was raised in church. I go to church, so everything for me is spiritual. When I read the Bible. In the Bible, every time God was doing something, he made them move. He was never it was never intended for people to stay in one place. So when people would probably look at for me and call instability, I don't give a fuck what you call it. I know what God told me. So if God told me to go to la that's where I gotta go. If he told me to go to Atlanta, that's where I need to be. And every time I was obedient to my calling, my life changed. So Atlanta, shout out to Atlanta. Atlanta is literally one of the greatest cities on this planet. Atlanta changed my life. The people that I met in Atlanta food amazing. Food's amazing, the people are amazing. And Atlanta. No city supports young black ambition like Atlanta. No city supports it.
Speaker 4: Like you sound like Tyree's right now, it's just the truth he'd be preaching for. Listen, Atlanta should give tyrese us. Don't yes, that's you a star. I know y'all got the stars. Now y'all doing Tyree's because he beat It's true him a jingle. I will write him come to or come to Atlanta.
Speaker 5: Listen to something jingle. But like, Atlanta's a great city.
Speaker 2: And and you know, when I was in Atlanta, I had gotten I did a lot, but I knew that if I wanted to get to the next phase of my career, that the next phase of my career was going to be in Los ange And so I had to make that move.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about Los Angeles. Let's talk about it in La. In La, it's cracking.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but before you even get here, when you get here, after you get your your first big hit record, did you buy anything stupid?
Speaker 5: No, not yet, not yet? Not yet?
Speaker 1: Have you on yet?
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, okay, but you know, also like my stupid days, I'm not going to say they all the way over. Listen, we all got some bullshit left, bullshit.
Speaker 1: I was looking. I looked at my stock duror. One day, I said no way.
Speaker 4: I started, I start adding up the socks and the cost of socks.
Speaker 1: I said, no way.
Speaker 2: Listen, Hey, hey, everybody has their thing, and socks are your thing.
Speaker 4: We're not going not even that's just my thing. That was just it's just some and no, I don't need it. I'm grown take accountability. I was like, this is stupid.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Jay, I love it all, all right, I love exactly.
Speaker 1: I love a good dumb ass moment.
Speaker 5: I'll take it all.
Speaker 1: So when you get to La. You already moving. Have you done your publishing deal yet?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Did your publishing deal in Atlanta? I did it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was still living in Atlanta when I did it. And when I did my publishing deal, I opened a coffee shop.
Speaker 1: Oh what made you do that? I love coffee, And it was purely that it was.
Speaker 4: It wasn't even about the business itself. You just like, I love coffee, I love the people love coffee. I'm gonna sell coffee. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then my great grandmother was a coffee farmer and I didn't know that. I learned that because I was like, I love coffee so much. And one day I was talking to my mom and she's like, you know, my grandmother used to grow coffee Jamaica.
Speaker 5: We actually produced some of the best coffee in the world.
Speaker 1: That's what. When I went did you make it? They tell me I'm not a coffee.
Speaker 2: Drinking so I don't know if I trust you anymore. Yikes, But you know, so I did.
Speaker 4: That's kind of manage addictions. I don't, you know, I try to stay away from it.
Speaker 5: Give me my caffeine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because that isn't it. I've seen it didn't close coffee is in a diction.
Speaker 5: Number one consumed drug on the planet caffeine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I tried to stay away from all things addictive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when I was in Atlanta, I did that. But here's the funny shit. Earlier that year, God was like, moved to LA and I was like, no, I'm going to open a car, okay, and let me tell you how to have it. But lost story short it. You know, I did it. I loved every second of having it. It ended up not the person I went into business with ended up not being the greatest.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you didn't make no money.
Speaker 5: Well, I lost a lot of money.
Speaker 1: You lost not even about not making that.
Speaker 5: Oh, I lost so much money.
Speaker 2: And I remember the day publishing money Yeah, and money from just other things, you know, and the other things.
Speaker 1: Boy, we don't remember.
Speaker 4: We're not talking about that. Even though the statue of Libertation is over it.
Speaker 1: Is, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like, hey man, nah, but I remember the day I closed my shop. I said, fuck this shit, I'm gonna go write two songs and make it all better.
Speaker 1: Come on, you know who told me that?
Speaker 4: And I'm about to tell you you can use this because I'm sure He's fine with it. He said, Jay, you know what, sometimes you gotta charge it to the microphone.
Speaker 1: E forty. Come on, shout out to Earl Stephens. Shout out to Earl Stevens.
Speaker 4: He said, flat out, I was talking about something, you know, wins and losses, you know what I mean, some money that I invested in something. Charge it to the microphone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's what it is, because I'm gonna do another one. Absolutely. It was the time of my life and I was proud of myself for having a goal, having a vision and doing the thing.
Speaker 1: But it was the name of the coffee shop. It's called grind Time. Grind Time, so you had a good name of that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was all of we sup print song lyrics on the lattes. It was a whole music kind of Yeah. It was great and I loved having it, and Atlanta was so supportive, like so many people would pull up all the time.
Speaker 5: It was great.
Speaker 2: But you know it, I remember the day that I closed it. I'm like a strong person, so it's like very rare that people ask me how I'm feeling. So when I closed it, I think everybody was like, oh, well, she must have another like thing. Up her sleeve like she's going to be fine, and I was like dying inside. You know, this was my baby, like I closed it. But I remember sitting there and just being like, God told my ass to go to LA, and I just did what I wanted to do. And then I was like, well, what you gonna do now, bitch? And I was like, might as well take your ass La, And so two months later I moved to La.
Speaker 4: Damn yeah, but yeah, I say, but I.
Speaker 2: Moved to LA and caught the number one record in the world. And if that coffee shop didn't go sour, I wouldn't have had that because I didn't have any plans on ever come here.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 5: I was at a place.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I was like, I'm gona buy a piece of land, build a house, my coffee shop, I'm gonna expand it.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna feel like writing writing. During that time, I was kind of slowed up.
Speaker 2: I was making my exit and God was like, no, bitch, dragged me right by the eyelashes, right back into this motherfucker.
Speaker 5: He said, you're not done girl.
Speaker 1: Sorry.
Speaker 4: So okay, So even in that, because we've all been here, at least I have where you have these partners. You have these these publishing label whatever it is, you have partners. So how are they feeling because you've done this publishing deal but now you're selling coffee. Ain't no publishing and coffee. How are those conversations going? Because we you know what I mean, Like the people that watch our show want to know how they ship with works. When you make a decision like that to say I ain't writing songs right now, I ain't gonna.
Speaker 5: Tell you, I can't really tell nobody.
Speaker 1: I was just like what.
Speaker 5: You thought I was gonna call him and be like, now I ain't writing no something.
Speaker 1: Motherfucker. Oh yeah, I got you, I got your money. They gop over here doing payroll.
Speaker 2: Listen when they negotiating my deal, the first thing I told my lawyer, I said, make sure I got to buy out clausing that motherfucker.
Speaker 1: Are you looking for your exit from the beginning.
Speaker 5: From the beginning. But I'm gonna tell you what things have taught me over time.
Speaker 2: You do not have the power to stop what is for you and where you're supposed to be that Oh man, I fucked it up.
Speaker 5: You don't have that kind of power.
Speaker 2: Like how many times did I tell you, I tried to get out this shit that I quit that God was like, m come back and here's the funny part, and we'll get to this stuff. But even when I ended up doing my artists deal, that took me forever because I'm doing artists music and everybody's, oh, who's writing for you? And I fell in the songwriter and I was totally content with never being up front facing artists again.
Speaker 5: But then the question flipped, where's your music? I know you fucking.
Speaker 2: Lying the amount of years that's how go that I spent And I literally got offered deals from multiple labels off of my references. Again, not something I was actively seeking. It sought me out and I was like, you know what, fuck it, y'all giving trash motherfuckers checks every day, I might as well take one.
Speaker 4: Minus well, I say that a lot if y'all don't steal my ship as well, because once you got to lose.
Speaker 2: What you got to lose, you know, and clearly guys not letting me out of this thing, so we might as.
Speaker 1: Well go all the way. We just keep putting it the buyout clauset.
Speaker 2: We just keep putting the listen know your clause is you got to know what you want for your career.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and sometimes you want out and sometimes you want out.
Speaker 5: But you know what, I think we have all wanted out at some point.
Speaker 2: I think I've wanted out, maybe three days ago, But I'm out of wanting out.
Speaker 1: You are sitting with the King of the Pivot. What nigga, I will jay? So you just put out a song.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't musten man, I just I can't. I tell a joke, I will tell a lie. Yeah, this I we all fight with this.
Speaker 1: This business.
Speaker 5: But at the end of the day, I'm happy to be here and I'm grateful.
Speaker 4: And you're an amazing person. First, let's start there above all, you know what I mean. And your talent has been able to just shine through.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 4: And so speaking of talent and shining through and these big records.
Speaker 1: How the hell do you get to Korea? Yeah? How what you know?
Speaker 4: That's what that's the old black that's the old black man you used to say back in the day when he came back from.
Speaker 1: Korea. You know what I mean, Get to it. Listen, trying to tell you kids in Korea, that's what that's just, that's just talk talk.
Speaker 4: How did you get over there to write for these amazing artists in the K pop space.
Speaker 5: So fun funny thing.
Speaker 2: I didn't go to Korea until after I did all those things.
Speaker 5: I did those records here.
Speaker 2: Okay, So my first record in the K pop world was Zen by Jenny.
Speaker 5: I did that with Plus.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, come on, come on, you just you're just saying it like ye did that capitals Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean yeah, but we did Zen and it was me, Bibi Barelli, Jelly and Plus. Shout out to them, I co writers and producer. And the crazy thing about that was the day Plus called me. He goes I'm at the udio with Bbi Barelli and she's, look, she needs someone to collaborate with, but she wants like another girl, are you available? I was at my shop. I was at my coffee shop, and I was like, I'm so tired.
Speaker 5: I'm so tired.
Speaker 2: And I was like, you know what, it's one session, it's not gonna hurt taking espresso, shot and go. So I ended up going and that was where I met Nicole Kim. She's A and R for Jenny at the time, and you know, BB and I we were there Plus like just having a ton of conversations and everything, and through the conversations again, importance of conversation in the studio.
Speaker 5: Through the conversations came Zen.
Speaker 2: Jenny would always do her interviews and talk about how Zen was like her favorite record, and Zen means a lot to me because it's a record that's really about like empowerment and really just like fighting through the bullshit, and even the way it's written is really poetic. So I personally didn't think she would like it, but she loved it. So Zen cames and did very well.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Nicole calls me the following year and she's like, hey, she would you want to work with BTS? And I was like, girl, is water what? I didn't say that to her, you know, yep, I'm like, oh yeah, sure, like yeah and oh yeah, you know, I mean, I'll see if I have time. But so she was like okay, cool. So a couple months go, but I didn't hear anything. And you know, I never get upset about things like that, you know, because again, when you learn politics, you don't take things personal.
Speaker 5: So I was just like all right, whatever.
Speaker 2: So then she calls me a couple months later and it's like, hey, I want you to do one day with RM. So I'm going and I'm like doing my research and I'm like, okay, he's a group leader. Cool, go to Conway Studios here. And the day that I got there, me and Derek actually pulled up at the same time shout out Derek Malano and I look at Derek and I was just like, do you know what we're doing?
Speaker 5: And He's like do you know what we're doing? And I was like I don't. So he's like all right.
Speaker 2: So we get there and we're talking to them, and they bring Derek to another so he was like doing whatever they needed him to do, and they basically said to me, like, you know, one of the things about LA is that we have massive melodies and big production, but people really neglect lyrics, and you are a great lyricist, Like you're.
Speaker 5: One of the best lyricist out of it. I was just like, okay, girl keep suting my horm but okay.
Speaker 2: So she was just like, you know, I really want you to like sit with RM and like help to curate these songs, to like make them more, make them unique to the band, and just things that they can feel. And I was just like, okay, So I sat with Ram the first day and I was just I couldn't really read him. And it was a very different approach than that I normally taken songwriting, because an enormous songwriting. You know, we sit down and it's like, oh, hey girl, like hey, you know so, but this was a whole other culture. It was a whole other so you know, now this is where I'm just like, all right, let me observe be a student. So after a couple hours, like We're sitting there with your lyrics and I'm throwing ideas out and some of them were landing and some of them weren't. And you know, I keep getting into these roadblocks because I would say something and they're like, well, you know, because of our native tongue, they can't pronounce that, or you know that they have to stay away from it's that's drugs.
Speaker 5: They can't say that. That's alcohol, they can't say that.
Speaker 2: And then after a couple hours, he's just like, you know, I'm kind of tired and I just don't really want to do this anymore. And I was like, oh shit, and I was like all right, cool. So I was like, you know, thank you for having me. Like I had a great day with you, and you know, I appreciate the opportunity.
Speaker 5: So in my head, I'm like, well, there's that shit, Like that's over with.
Speaker 2: And I was only supposed to be there for a day, so I was like, well that's done. So at like three o'clock in the morning, I get a text from Nicole and she's like, hey, I really need you for like the next seven or eight days. And I was like, what do you mean and she's like, RAM really really loves working with you.
Speaker 1: I thought it was over with, yeah, but.
Speaker 2: I was like okay, So I'm like supposed to fly out the next day. I'm she travel around and I did all the things, and I was like, okay, I got the I got the days you need, you know whatever.
Speaker 5: And she's like all right.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 2: So the next day they hit me and they're like, he doesn't want to work in the studio.
Speaker 5: He wants to work in the house.
Speaker 1: And I was like, okay, cool.
Speaker 2: So they rent us a mansion and come on, and I'm gonna tell you something. I've worked with a lot of people. I've had the blessing and the honor and privilege to work with so many people, and this is no shade. But up until that moment coming, I was like, oh, these are superstars.
Speaker 1: I told you how shade was coming, and.
Speaker 2: This is no, no, no, no, no no, because this is no shade, right. But it's like there's levels, the levels. Listen, they could say they cold, and it's eight motherfuckers jumping out the vent with a jacket like this was different levels, it's levels. And I was just like, oh, he doesn't want to work in the studio. Cool, let's let's just go get them a mansion on the ocean to finish writing swimming.
Speaker 1: Why not? Because why not?
Speaker 4: And I was just like, okay, because what did Missy say?
Speaker 2: Whatever, you need to get the job done to be your best, you better ask for it.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm shooting these podcasts on the ocean from now on.
Speaker 1: I don't know if none of this is gonna.
Speaker 4: Fly away, because that's what I'm going to figure it out, because I like the ocean.
Speaker 5: I know that's right.
Speaker 2: And we sat there and you know, we finished swim in front of the ocean, and then once I now started figuring out a rhythm because again in those moments, like it's one of my favorite quotes is a Richard Branson quote, you get an opportunity, you don't know what to do, you.
Speaker 5: Say yes and figure it out along the way, or figure it out later.
Speaker 2: So I'm just like, now I'm studying the way that you know, I'm actively learning him. I'm learning the rest of the ban and through him, but learning him as we're going. So now he's getting a little more comfortable. We move on to normal, and that's when I started asking questions like, you know, what is your normal?
Speaker 5: And that's when he's explaining their life.
Speaker 2: So when you watch a Netflix documentary and you see me and him there having a conversation, we're having a conversation about.
Speaker 5: Normal and you know what is normal for them.
Speaker 2: And that's where we were able to contribute to normal and stuff like that. So it was really a very interesting process. And then we moved on to like the other you know records as they went. So a lot of these records they were started by like amazing writers and producers, so like, you know, a lot of these records were like Ryan Tedder and Livvy Frank and Bow Knox and Sean Foreman, Derek like a lot of people. So that's the thing about Hit records is like they passed through a lot of hands in order to become what they need to become. Because when you're adamant about the hit, you gotta y gotta do what you gotta do to get the hit.
Speaker 1: It had a lot of hits out there. Yeah, So when you have.
Speaker 4: Ideas that feel like they could be something, but maybe you need somebody else's hands.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that's the important thing, right.
Speaker 2: So the important thing is that listen, if we got some chicken in the fridge. Okay, if you got some chicken in the fridge and you take the chicken out the fridge and you thaw the chicken out, and you put chicken on the counter, and the chicken is sitting in the bowl, but you don't know how to season and the cook it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you gotta call somebody else to do it.
Speaker 1: Right. You see your flower too?
Speaker 2: Huh?
Speaker 1: You season your flower too?
Speaker 2: Depends on if I'm frying chicken or you know. Okay, I absolutely you gotta season. I gotta season a flowery.
Speaker 4: Everybody don't. Everybody don't season they flower, which is wild to me.
Speaker 1: But we are.
Speaker 2: Next conversation is going to be while we're cooking, because I can cook my ass. So yeah, but you know, somebody else come and season it, and the thing is the person that seasons it might not know how to cook it. So now somebody else comes and they actually cook it, but guess what, they might not know how to serve it. And now somebody else comes to service. So we have this, we have this this perspective or just this this way of thinking that like somebody's job is more important, or every job is equally important, and every creative that's a part of the process matters.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's at least how I see it.
Speaker 2: Now, you do have some people out there that d and it's like that's on y'all. But I think that for me, what has contributed to my career is, Look, this whole shit is like a vehicle. I know when I'm in the driver's seat, I know when I'm in the passenger seat, I know when I'm in the back seat, and I also know when.
Speaker 5: I'm not in the damn car.
Speaker 2: Knowing your laane, knowing your position, and knowing how to operate in that position when you're needed, don't be.
Speaker 5: A me monster.
Speaker 1: I love being a part of thing. That's it. But I think it's also.
Speaker 4: I grew up playing sports from a big family as you do. So I think when you have certain things that you just grew up not knowing any better, yeah, are different, it just becomes second nature to you to be like, oh, yeah, well I assisted exactly, you know what I mean. I didn't do it by myself. No, And I'm cool with.
Speaker 2: That, and that's okay, and that's okay, It's totally fine, and I think that. Look, man, I always say this, like when Ego walks in the room, God walks out. You can be as intentional as you want to be with the creative process. And the creative process does require intention, but you have to leave two percent from magic. You got to leave two percent for God, like you need something that just moves in the air, you know what I mean. And Ego cannot be present during that because you will stifle the process.
Speaker 5: You'll stifle it. And I think that again.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm blessed to even if I didn't work with certain creatives directly, I'm blessed to even be adjacent sent to them. I'm blessed to even have been able to contribute to something along with them for our journey to even pass. A lot of these are people that I grew up like, oh my god, like this is such and such, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Like, I'm grateful to even be in their path.
Speaker 2: And I'd be a liar to think that I was like, oh, like, man, one day, me and that person going to do a record. Some of those things seemed far fetched, you know what I mean, And now they're not. Now they've actually become a reality. So I'm grateful for those things, you know. And I'll never ever stifle the process or like or base or even just like downplay people or diminish their contributions or try to make something seem like you know, there's look, man, there's people out here running around with plaques for songs that they weren't.
Speaker 5: Even in the room when it was made.
Speaker 2: So if there's a person in the room and you have an idea or an energy or anything, and you were there and it actually contribut to this, why would we try to rob you of your contribution, no matter how big or small. Sometimes one of my favorite stories is when Sierra did goodies and it was my cookies at first, and they were like, what the fuck is this right?
Speaker 1: One word?
Speaker 5: One word going from cookies to goodies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, gave them the hit for sure.
Speaker 5: So those things are important.
Speaker 2: And I and I think that everybody's role is important, you know, And I don't think it's cool to like diminish anybody shit like.
Speaker 1: So you're gonna learn how to swim? I'll try. You can't have this record and I know how to swim? You got it? Listen, tread water or something. You gotta learn. You have to learn. You can't.
Speaker 5: No, No, I don't need so I can just keep writing about it.
Speaker 1: My god, So swim.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you had to buy something stupid after swimgae.
Speaker 1: It's coming. I haven't done it yet, no, so oh so when you said yet, you haven't even done it yet. Period.
Speaker 5: No, it's coming though.
Speaker 1: What you're gonna do? But come on, I don't I don't know? What's what's what? Do you feel like? It's crazy?
Speaker 2: Well you want to know, Okay, you really want to know the truth. And everybody that follows me knows this. I am hell bent on buying a flamingo.
Speaker 1: They so, here's a thing.
Speaker 2: Here's a thing. I learned that a group of flamingos are called the Flamboyants. Flamingos. You can't just have one, you have to have more than one because they're social animals.
Speaker 5: They eat pink shrimp and that's why they.
Speaker 2: And you have to be either like a zoo keeper or have like a specialized I'm fully prepared to become a zoo keeper.
Speaker 4: To have it, just have just to have the flamboyant as fustele.
Speaker 1: How many youre you gonna get?
Speaker 5: I want like five Q five piece. I gotta have.
Speaker 1: Got in the back.
Speaker 2: It's me in the bagoyance in the bag. And it happened because one day I was looking for flamingo to shoot something, and I called everywhere around South Florida, and one motherfucker kept answering the phone.
Speaker 4: You gotta know what you mean when you say shoot up because you keep your little bodyguard.
Speaker 1: I guess gotta make sure you wouldn't having a moment like I'm.
Speaker 2: Raising No no, no, no, no no, shoot hey some content some content, not some content.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: So one motherfucker kept answering the phone, and finally I said to him, are you the person that I just spoke to three times?
Speaker 5: He goes yeah.
Speaker 2: I said, why do you have all these different phone numbers? He was like, listen, man, I'm the only person in Florida that got flamingos.
Speaker 1: I said, is that?
Speaker 2: So he goes yeah, and I said so. Then it kind of became like this. His name is Spencer. Shout out Spencer. He's the only motherfucker that owns flamingos in South Florida.
Speaker 1: Shout Spencer.
Speaker 2: Shot flamingo man. But it became like a personal mission of mine. I'm like, oh, you trying to monopolize the flamingo game. Bet bet, And I'm dead ass serious about this. I'm coming for his ass. You think I found out that they were called the Flamboyance because I was bored.
Speaker 1: I've been actively researching this.
Speaker 5: I'm finding them flamingos.
Speaker 4: You wait, do you know how much they cost? Once you get your license and all that.
Speaker 2: See, the thing is they not that expensive. It's the up key. It's like the cares.
Speaker 1: You gotta find these certain shrimp to keep them.
Speaker 2: The shrimp, certain client, all the things like it's it'll be fine, though, it'll it'll be fine.
Speaker 1: I'm getting you gotta buy all the things. Yeah, for the flamingo.
Speaker 5: I'm getting the motherfuckers, okay, mark my word. And when I get them, we're coming right back here.
Speaker 4: No, you're not bringing flamingos in here. It's not boring. I'd be like, wait, no, this is.
Speaker 5: So, that is what I will be buying.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, five flamingos.
Speaker 5: Five flamingos.
Speaker 4: I don't think I've ever heard Ruben. Have we heard that one before? Okay, we've never heard that before.
Speaker 5: And a candy pint helicopter definitely won't.
Speaker 1: One of those like the cash funny one.
Speaker 4: Remember that, Remember they had the helicopter need a helicopter, candy paint.
Speaker 2: Candy paint got to be you know, listen, man, I'm from South Florida, baby, come.
Speaker 1: On lightly, I actually respected.
Speaker 2: Yeah, gotta be candy paint. Might put a flamingo on the side of that motherfucker.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: See how I'm feeling, See how I'm feeling.
Speaker 1: Another amazing artist you work with? Who I love Becky g my girl.
Speaker 2: Shout out Becky, shout out, shout out by.
Speaker 4: I can't speak no Spanish, boy, but I'd be like, yeah.
Speaker 2: Becky, so fire man and shout out Deputy and Sada and Campaigny, like we did that record together with Becky and ud I love that record.
Speaker 1: Yeah, made to the World Cup, Yes, we did. How did that feel.
Speaker 5: Amazed balls. It was great. I love that.
Speaker 1: That has to be a crazy.
Speaker 5: But you know, not even you know what's crazy though.
Speaker 2: It was like the world has kind of just been like the theme of my year, swim was number one in the world.
Speaker 1: The world has been the theme of my years.
Speaker 5: You know that is a bar it really has that.
Speaker 2: That's been the theme, you know, World Cup, number one in the world, the world, the world's been happening.
Speaker 1: I know you're publisher, happy that you don't sell coffee no more.
Speaker 4: Shout out to my home girl, Christina, come.
Speaker 1: On, come on.
Speaker 4: Girl.
Speaker 1: Oh that is so dope. Yeah, that's so dope.
Speaker 5: But EPA's fired.
Speaker 2: The album comes out August fourteenth, when Backyard have four on their patrona Glitch and oyc that I did with all the my same collaborators.
Speaker 5: We are definitely a threat when we get there.
Speaker 1: So do you speak Spanish?
Speaker 5: Winter a little bit, but not that great.
Speaker 2: So it's it's funny because with this process again being a student, this is where that you know, growing up in Miami or growing up in South Florida because I'm from East Merrimar, which Broward don't want us in day, don't want us whatever, I'm literally from the border of Broward and daycount One side of the street is three or five, the other side nine five.
Speaker 5: Oh it's the county line.
Speaker 1: So I read book.
Speaker 5: But growing up.
Speaker 2: Down there, like it's just it's a huge musical soundscape, you know. So you grow up with everything reggae, reggae, thon, you know, house, hip hop, whatever.
Speaker 5: So I always had.
Speaker 2: Like an ear for things and an understanding of all these different like sounds because I grew up in them. So being able to go into these rooms, it was like, Okay, I'm one thing I'm really good at is like going in a room being observant, being a student and being like, oh, this is what we're doing.
Speaker 1: Bet cool.
Speaker 5: So me Insida.
Speaker 2: We have a really she's an incredible writer from Venezuela as my girl, but she and I have a great little system. So it'll be like I'll know, like, okay, I want to say something like hot, like a blue flame or something, and I'll be like, sada, how would we say?
Speaker 1: So, like how do you say blue flame?
Speaker 2: And I'll be like okay, because I know blue is asul flame caliente or fuego callient tastes hot fuego and she'll be like, oh uh, fuego assoul and it's like, okay, cool because so she'll make sure that my Spanish is in check, and then she's also throwing out lines as she you know, in Spanish. And then there's times where I'll throw out an English line and we'll try to translate it and she'll be like, you know what, I think it sounds better in English. Let's keep it in English, or she'll translate it to Spanish and we kind of just ping pong like that.
Speaker 4: And this is how you write for the world, guys, girls, This is this is she's giving a masterclass. And I hope you're paying attention. And I'm not even charging y'all for this. You know, she my homie and she pulled up on me for free. So now that's that's incredible. Though, because I've written songs for a long time, I've never written a song in another language. So that's why I asked, because if I don't know something, I'm gonna ask.
Speaker 2: But again, like for you, like, let's just say you were like, you know what on my bucket list I want to I want to do a Latin song again. Going back to air, Corossiter. Huh ass you should cap. You should go side off for every Latin.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's my girl. Shout out to her and Nate Nate's fire. Natea is the glue. But the thing is when you just know how to go in the room, leave your ego at the door. Be a student. Yes, don't go in there acting like you fucking know everything all the damn time. Be open to other things. Throw your ideas out there, don't be afraid. Don't think like just because I don't speak the language fluently that I don't have anything to say. Say the things. You know what I mean, and then they can take it and flip it. Like if you can, we can write any damn thing for sure, Like you know, and once you know how to write, you can do.
Speaker 4: Just your process though, is something in my opinion, that should be studied. Thank you, because there is there's a true process to it. You're everybody does this whole Oh vibe vibe vibe, hey man, good luck getting hit records.
Speaker 1: That ship is tough.
Speaker 4: There's a science to this ship, you know, and and that is really a big reason I wanted you here to be able to break that science down because I know that there is something that you have really spent a lot of time learning how to do this, especially at.
Speaker 1: The highest level.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, and but I also want to know about this music. I want to know about Sheik the artists.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, because you through this whole year. You know, I got a deal and you know they was homie.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you know, but you know everybody called me, you know, tell me about this new project that.
Speaker 5: You got going Welcome to my life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, so that that means that that means it's about to be, you know, fully autobiographic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's gonna be chaos and chaos. I'm organized chaos, Okay. I told you I'll move every damn where, be all over the place. Yes, Listen, when I was in Atlanta. You know what my nickname was in Atlanta.
Speaker 5: Chek Meach.
Speaker 1: I was in.
Speaker 5: Listen to me. I used to walking to the club they like meeting the pitch. Listen. I was at that motherfucker spending money like.
Speaker 4: She she she damn that called me the fans earlier.
Speaker 1: So I've been trying to get away from it. But now I was on. I was on bull ship.
Speaker 5: And now I'm just about to put it in songs.
Speaker 2: The bullshit I be on but Welcome to My Life, the name of the projects. Also the first single that we're gonna be running with produced by day Trip, Girl on the Beat, Johnny May, the guys. So when I got when I have people like offering me like the deals, I was like, I don't know if I want to do this again, And I was like, fuck it, I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 5: But for me, huh my shout out, my team, shout out Jay why.
Speaker 4: And I my guy shout out to my home girl man Tasha Stoff Whoashai Tasha, not the.
Speaker 1: Little one, my girl.
Speaker 2: But you know, I knew that if I was going to do this it it couldn't be no bullshit. I can't be sitting there pouring my all into everyone else just being honest career wise, you know, like giving people these big records and all these things and then being mediocre with myself. I don't even add up. So I was like, how are you going to approach this? How what do you want this to be? And I've always had a crazy love for just like house and electronic, but I'm also very much of the culture. So I coined the term hood house hood house house, that's what we're calling it. Okay, Yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: I'm sure I'm making no music, that's.
Speaker 5: All right, making something, making something that made it out of sorry.
Speaker 1: Making or cooking. He's kidding, No, I ain't say.
Speaker 5: But you know so I am djane.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, give us the give us the food run down.
Speaker 4: We're gonna hear some singing too, because you know, I'm gonna tell you I'm willing to fight the good fight. Yeah, but I know they're gonna be kicking my ass. She don't sing and listen, I don't care. She is amazing here because she's amazing, and I hope y'all learned some ship.
Speaker 1: But are you gonna sing on there too? Yes? All right? And she's singing on there.
Speaker 5: Ish and it's you know what.
Speaker 2: There is going to be R and B influence, okay, because we never leave the culture out.
Speaker 1: Listen. If you sing I say everybody's RB, I'd be fighting.
Speaker 2: I'd be like, well it's such a yeah, yeah, getting listen that's mine.
Speaker 5: But we're definitely gonna have that.
Speaker 2: It's it's just a very interesting collective of house and electronic Miami based, just like all the things that are super high energy, very raw, very aggressive, very gritty, and.
Speaker 1: Just what's the style of it? What's the style of it?
Speaker 4: Because you know you you be pulling up, you pulling up and listen, you got you got that ship.
Speaker 5: Off light light right now, okay, right right now.
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: But for some it's heavy. Okay, I appreciate what I mean.
Speaker 4: I like the drop curl, you know, get your m j R and B and I feel about Michael Jackson.
Speaker 2: Listen, I hate you bad, but so style wise, I am so just being Jamaican. I I attribute a lot of my fashion influences to just Dance all Culture, Patra Queen and add Puck listen, Pat shout out Patra my earliest influences. But you know, I think that fashion wise, we are going to have a time. Even like with hoodhouse is like house is spelled haus, so you can't leave the fashion out. So I think like the fashion is very experimentative. There's going to be like a lot of punk influence, a lot of just like you know, high end vault designer influence, like all the things, but just in a way still that just feels very free and liberated. I don't want this to feel stiff. I don't want it to feel limiting. I don't want it to feel like something that has to be overthought.
Speaker 5: It just needs to exist, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: And so for me, the same as a creative I approach any creative process the same where I'm just I said it before, I'm just big on not stifling it. So I'm not going to be like, well, I have to be like this, like, listen to the record. What does the record call for? What's the character that the record calls for? What does it look like to have a head piece on? Is it in all black? Is it in all red? Is it in fucking feathers? Like?
Speaker 1: What is it that?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean that just do what the song tells you to do. Niggas, don't be listening to the song. That's y'all problem, y'all. Don't listen to the song. Listen to listen to the song. He did the song tell you did the song called for a gown and sneakers, put it the funk on and stop complaining.
Speaker 1: Do we get it this year? Absolutely?
Speaker 6: Iren monarch Irene Irene, she said, okay, we go right, alright.
Speaker 1: We God holding y'all to that because listen.
Speaker 4: I tried to I tried to get like to get you a sneak peek, but you know, it's some business that need to get take care of.
Speaker 2: So can we want to make sure you're respective creative hood house is going to be a time. It's definitely left of things that people are probably used to hearing me work on. But you know, I don't believe that any artists or paint will one color. So I hope that people will be respectful.
Speaker 1: And I've seen some pictures and it's colorful.
Speaker 4: It is colorful you and not listen, you're using the whole crayon by you're using extended everyone.
Speaker 5: We're even making colors. Come on, we're going out the sky.
Speaker 1: Other things should making.
Speaker 4: Yeah that you know, before we get to some other R and B type ship word on the streets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is that pee Valley is coming back?
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 1: You're writing songs and ship for it. It is.
Speaker 2: Listen, pe Valley, the paint is on the way. Shout out to coatry Hall my girl. I promise y'all stop bullying her. I promise it's Pea.
Speaker 1: Valley's coming, people won't it. That's how this is coming.
Speaker 2: You know, we had a few hiccups and here and there and everything, but baby, it is shot.
Speaker 5: It is done, it is signs still delivered, It's gone.
Speaker 1: And if you write them songs already know it's crash.
Speaker 5: I had that was man. P Valley was.
Speaker 2: The process of just the music on that like being able to contribute to the music for it. And I was also the vocal producer for all the actors that had songs on the show, which was so fun and just another creative outlet for me.
Speaker 5: But it was great. It was great.
Speaker 2: It is Honestly, this season's gonna blow everybody's mind.
Speaker 5: It is so brilliant.
Speaker 2: It is so brilliant, It's shot beautifully, so many twists and turns of surprise. I can't tell y'all everything. All I can tell y'all is that it's coming that.
Speaker 1: This year too, ah Ship.
Speaker 2: You know what we're gonna speak. We're gonna speak it into existence. Yep, this year, this year, speaking of it.
Speaker 5: Speaking of it to existence.
Speaker 4: I'm just about to start going into a bootleg strip, Clay. I'm gon shoot my ohole Peevalley. You know what Jay doing.
Speaker 1: I'm shooting pe.
Speaker 2: Valley, b Valley, be Valley.
Speaker 1: Ship Oh my god, god damn show.
Speaker 5: All right, it's definitely coming all right.
Speaker 4: So we're about to get into the inspirations. You know, you know, because I know in my mind all of these hits and all this great stuff that you're doing, it all comes from R and B.
Speaker 1: This is just what I'm just gonna say. You know, that's one of my release influences.
Speaker 4: Go along with it, okay, but it is okay, So I want to get into those influences. So our brother Tank has sent something in for you, Ruben, can you play that for me?
Speaker 1: Please?
Speaker 3: Your top five five all NB songs. We ain't got to know one know, we thought.
Speaker 1: You cann't there wrong?
Speaker 2: This show your.
Speaker 4: Top you.
Speaker 1: Boy, good good, real good boy, good real good. To get into the inspiration, oh he good.
Speaker 4: Know of your top five R and B singers and R and B songs, We're gonna start with the singers.
Speaker 1: Oh, top five R and B singers, Top five R and B singers. Yep, does it matter the era, Nope, it's yours.
Speaker 5: Okay. Whitney's my favorite sing Come on, come on, come on.
Speaker 2: Whitney's easily my voice, She's easily, easily, easily my favorite singer, I can listen to her all day. I really really really love and I feel like she's I'm not gonna say she's underrated, but I feel that she's not mentioned enough.
Speaker 1: I really love Faith incredible. Faith is incredible.
Speaker 2: Also as a songwriter in Faith a songwriter. We don't talk about that enough.
Speaker 1: I singer, songwriter, she is.
Speaker 2: Faith is incredible. I really really really and she fly and she's fly and she's and kind of crazy and I love it. Faith wasn't having it. Faiths beating bitches.
Speaker 1: The fuck up.
Speaker 5: I love reading play that ship now not a day.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you kicking the door, sometimes you do. So I love Faith, I love Whitney. There's singers, well, oh.
Speaker 5: So God.
Speaker 2: I love them both for different reasons. But I'm gonna group them as one, Casey and Jojo.
Speaker 1: I So I get it. I get it.
Speaker 2: So the reason that I group them as they're gonna be one. I don't care what everybody says. So I mentioned them because remember what I told you about listening to feeling for me, that's Casey, Yes, Casey and and incredible singer still, but the aggression in his voice and just Jojo, we don't talk about like Jojo on.
Speaker 5: A technical level. Insane is insane.
Speaker 2: And I've always always always loved listen and my sisters were huge jo Toasy fans when I was a kid, and so like I listened to like a lot of that like growing up, love them. Let me think of somebody that is from like today, that's more like current want to do I singer singer singer, because it's different, because some people are great singers are not great artists.
Speaker 5: How the fuck did I leave out Jasmine Sullivan?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I didn't leave her out. She's yes, Jasmine Jasmine.
Speaker 2: When she sang I'm in love with another man, I wasn't even in a relationship, and I felt that he like.
Speaker 1: Am I am? I? I don't have one man, but in love with two people?
Speaker 5: Like my home is drier than a Popeye's bis.
Speaker 1: Do I feel this way? Ship?
Speaker 4: Make sure you at leastberry SODA's something.
Speaker 5: No shatto shatto out here, But Jasmine, I love.
Speaker 1: That's four.
Speaker 5: I have one more.
Speaker 2: If I had to pick somebody. Oh, I mean this is an older one, but I love his catalog. I listened to it all the time, and I'm up says it's Rick James. Rick James yeah, and maybe I don't know if you guys know his R and B. But no, don't do this but Rick James, No, you don't have to make no excuses for Rick Rick James.
Speaker 1: Listen.
Speaker 5: Special love Rick James so very much, just like I.
Speaker 1: There's so many James.
Speaker 5: I love a lot of older music.
Speaker 2: I listened to older catalogs all the time because there's so many There's so many little tricks in the older catalogs and a lot of little gems and things that you can get from the older cat So I listened to a lot of older catalogs.
Speaker 1: But Three Signs is incredible.
Speaker 5: Rick James just as an artist.
Speaker 2: Side he gave Eddie Murphy a here record and died and died like the party all the time, all the time. Damn girl, hell is wrong with you?
Speaker 4: Nigga need to remake what of those because they partied even more than they was back then.
Speaker 2: Now. Yeah, but I love Rick James, and yeah I will, I will and design Yeah Jane, Ebony eyes, come on, Ebony eyes.
Speaker 1: Standing on the top for the Temptation. Yeah, Temptation's sad. Listen. He yelled at his friends, he did his uncle. They got to it. They got to it.
Speaker 5: I love Rick.
Speaker 2: Rick James is one of my favorite singers. There's some amazing like singers out now like and just like artists out right now. But that I that I also do love like you know, I love Isaiah falls Dust and Conrad Florida Boys them down. Yeah, I love them, but like I definitely and I listened to a lot of like new stuff for sure, but.
Speaker 1: Like top.
Speaker 5: You know what, I'm gonna shut up now.
Speaker 1: It's hard. I have so many No, this is we didn't. We didn't create this for it to be easy. This is a very tough and it might change.
Speaker 5: I might walk out of door and be like, damn, I didn't say.
Speaker 1: This person, you're absolutely going to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this, and if they asked me this in twenty other interviews, I answer might change. They do without the with the exception of Whitney.
Speaker 4: That's well listen, if they asked you this is another interview, I'm going to sing copyrighting.
Speaker 1: They said you gotta pay Tank and Jay because you wasn't doing that ship.
Speaker 4: Okay you would, Okay, So we got our artists, our singers. Yeah, top five songs to R.
Speaker 2: And B songs, Yes, Jesus Christ God, it's so tough. It's unfair question and it should be.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 2: Bag Lady by Eric Abad is metaphorically probably the greatest R and B song ever written. Metaphorically.
Speaker 1: I'm not you don't get our and yeah, I'm never gonna argue about Eric, but.
Speaker 2: I love it metaphorically, like the entire song from top to bottom is a bar bag Lady. You gonna hurt your back dragging all them bags like that. She was never talking about a bag, never talk about that baggage, baggage, and it is that is a song that like I'm a lyric girl, Like one of my favorite things is when I can't sleep at night, is I google my favorite songs and I read lyrics like poetry, so that that's like a past time of mind. And if you really read bag Lady like the poetry that it is, that song will give you goosebumps and it'll probably even strike up a trauma chord in you, like I'm sure you will even that song metaphorically is it is so damn incredible, Like I love bag Lady. You should be here, Raphael Sadik and di'angelo.
Speaker 4: You knowin I Got Molded just some good and some money.
Speaker 5: What else you got? M That's such an incredible song.
Speaker 2: Rob Elsidic is also one of my He's probably in my top three favorite writers.
Speaker 1: Of all greatest whoever list, He's one of the greatest.
Speaker 5: Listen.
Speaker 1: I just told him that a week ago. Just told him that a week ago.
Speaker 2: I met him in a coffee shop like two months ago, like just randomly, and I was like, you know, like I try to be professional, and I'm going to be professional at all times, but it's certain people that I'm like, fuck that shit.
Speaker 5: You don't know you inspired me, damn it. You know this shit right listen, you know and love love But.
Speaker 2: That record right there, like R Peter di'angelo, that's such an incredible, incredible record. And I don't even know if they even realized how much they were like the sound that they were even like creating at that time.
Speaker 5: They were just being them. Oh a newer one that's like new but not new.
Speaker 2: But I run this record into the floor, and I've been running it into the floor for probably seven years. CPR by Summer Walker is a special, special, special song that is one of the most beautiful songs about being pulled from a space of bitterness in love like that that record again, I'm a lyric person. How she compared getting out of just a space of bitterness to CPR and being revived again. I was like, come on, wordplay, come on CPR by Summer Walkers in.
Speaker 1: Credib It's a special talent.
Speaker 2: She is.
Speaker 5: I love Summer. I'm a huge fan of Summer.
Speaker 1: Oh this one is.
Speaker 2: This is an older one, but this album is actually in my top five of favorite R and B albums of all time. All Her Love by Donelle Jones.
Speaker 1: If you know, you know it's that album is arguably, yeah, say it.
Speaker 5: Say it because I'm not arguing shit, the.
Speaker 1: Greatest R and B album of the last twenty years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, who's arguing Ruben Irean can't remember anyone.
Speaker 1: I'm not twenty five. Who's arguing you that? Alum? Where I want to be?
Speaker 5: Listen?
Speaker 2: That motherfucker told this girl he need time to see where he want to be And it stood outside the restaurant, stalking her while she was on a date. How it doesn't get better than that, sweetled deedle deedle whatever the fuck outside the damn restaurant window, Go find.
Speaker 5: Out where the fuck you want to be and leave me alone.
Speaker 1: Amazing to Eddie f t.
Speaker 5: Fucking amazing.
Speaker 1: What am I on?
Speaker 2: I said where I want to be? But she gives me all her love only half the time. Come on, bars bars, but yeah, all her Okay, So we said all her love. He's a bad lady, we says CPR. We say you should be here, and I will pick one more, that greatest R and B song. I love this, Okay, so this one because he's my favorite writer. This is more of like a party song, but it's it's timeless for me, and it's a classic, and it's my favorite.
Speaker 1: It is my list.
Speaker 5: I can say what I want rocking that.
Speaker 1: Shit by the Dream It's incredible.
Speaker 5: Fucking Terrrius.
Speaker 1: That sounds incredible because that's the other thing.
Speaker 5: It just never gets old ages.
Speaker 1: It is not easy to write tempo record, No, especially in R and B. No, No, it's not.
Speaker 2: And the crazy thing about it is like especially meaningful. Yes, it has substance. It's shady at the same.
Speaker 1: Time substance in shade.
Speaker 2: We love substance shade Terrrius. No one does it better than mister Terrius. I've never met him. He's on my list of people that like to collab with at some point in my career. He's a big inspiration of mine. Just such a crazy, such a crazy, crazy crazy pen effortless, too effortless.
Speaker 5: But yeah, there's my five, and I'm sure there's more.
Speaker 1: But y'all we're sure.
Speaker 5: I know all these songs released every day, damn it, that can't all.
Speaker 1: Be in the top five.
Speaker 5: They can't.
Speaker 4: They can't off in the top five. Okay, Now I need your votron. Okay, I need you to build the ultimate R and B artists. Here are the elements. Okay, who's going to Who's gonna be the voice? Who got the stage performance? Who got the fly ship on? Who the styling? Who has the passion to make you believe all of that ship works? And then who's gonna write them?
Speaker 1: You know about to cuss again? Who gonna write them? Terry Wright?
Speaker 5: The dream is writing?
Speaker 1: You going in the wrong order?
Speaker 5: Oh damn? Okay? Sorry, first one voice?
Speaker 1: Come on? Who the latest? Who the leads singing ship?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 1: I just said, lad sing? Who the least sing any talking to a Nigga FM Florida.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 1: Sing you know what?
Speaker 2: Okay, we are gonna make our lead singer. I want somebody that has technique but still feeling which.
Speaker 1: With your executive because your executive curl.
Speaker 2: Listen, you know, I get this this curl, get the going there. Who the fuck I'm gonna be? Here's the thing. Motherfuckers with technique are like battle rappers, right, so they'd be Oh but the lay that I just get all right back, But we gotta sell records.
Speaker 1: So much I run, goddamn.
Speaker 2: Running away from the money. But my okay, who's my voice? I gotta pick a voice. I gotta pick a voice somebody with technique, but that still knows.
Speaker 1: How to deliver, and it can be singing these songs for the world.
Speaker 2: Craig sing songs for the world. Oh my god, this should not be as fucking hard as it is. I hate this question. Oh my god, you know what I am going to pick?
Speaker 1: Shit?
Speaker 5: I don't know, Oh god, pick J Balentie.
Speaker 1: Let me say to the that I'm definitely not editing that neither.
Speaker 5: No, you're not. Okay, you the first one ever said me me, Yay, I'm going with Jay Valentine.
Speaker 1: Damn it, I'm going with j Valentine, right who you going with? For real? Okay?
Speaker 2: Damn all right, but I wiggled my way out of that one. You know what I'm going, I'm going, Okay.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, if I let you go with me, that means they're gonna be telling me I gotta put out an album.
Speaker 1: So and I get enough of that abuse. I don't need it. It's like me and p Valley.
Speaker 2: Okay, Oh yeah, yeah, I get that. Okay, I am going to go, all right, girl, pick somebody. Damn it, Who do I love right now? Who?
Speaker 1: Who? Who? Who? This is stupid?
Speaker 5: This shouldn't be this hard.
Speaker 1: Let's let's go.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, I hate this.
Speaker 1: You gotta have to edit all of this. This I help you. It's gonna be music under you. That's what's going to help you. Dude.
Speaker 2: Okay, R and B that could sell, But see who I have in mind. I don't think she's technically R and B.
Speaker 1: She's not your singer. Is your singer? You just pick a singer, Yes, your singer is your singer? All right, I'm going with you. Know what I'm going. Chloe, Chloe is very talented. I'm going Chloe and can sing her face off. Yes, Chloe can.
Speaker 2: And Chloe's not She doesn't run from feeling Chloe's Chloe is gonna go feeling.
Speaker 5: She's gonna give you that. I'm gonna go Chloe.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, okay, So who's so Chloe voice. Who's gonna be the stage performance?
Speaker 2: Stage performance, stage performance? We are going to go who has been you know what? We'll go Victoria money on the stage. Yeah, yeah, people go Victoria money on stage. Yeah that Victoria ain't fucking a nobody.
Speaker 1: Come on the Jaguars.
Speaker 5: She's not fucking around at all at all.
Speaker 1: If you've seen her on this tour with them, post been posting, let me tell you something.
Speaker 5: This every what she was doing to get paid. Have you one of your back up you know what happening?
Speaker 1: It's not Nope, not not the Valentine.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, I will come hang out with you, but I'm not coming to We're gonna no back up there and saying that.
Speaker 1: Nope, just not happening. We're going Victoria for okay, for sure, Victoria for stage styling. Who's gonna put the fly sh it on? Styling? Styling?
Speaker 5: Styling styling?
Speaker 1: Who can we dress up ass for Halloween?
Speaker 5: So you don't even want to see my allween, you're gonna die.
Speaker 1: I can only imagine.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be hilarious.
Speaker 2: But let me see styling, styling, styling, styling, who has been correct?
Speaker 5: Mm, she's not.
Speaker 1: Hip hop R and B R No, yeah, listen, stylin styling.
Speaker 5: We're going dojah on style Doojah is this? You know? We're going dojah? We're going is.
Speaker 1: Partially R and B. She is those you can fucking say, she.
Speaker 2: Can sing, she can rap THOSEA is one of the greatest artists of our time right now, like and not even just right now.
Speaker 5: She's one of the greatest artists.
Speaker 1: And she fully commits.
Speaker 5: Yes, she understands errors.
Speaker 1: That is important.
Speaker 2: People don't understand eras the way that Dojah like understands errors. But style, we're going.
Speaker 4: I love dot okay, And now who got the passion? Whos gonna make us believe that this artist is the greatest voutron of all times.
Speaker 5: The passion, the passion, the passion, the passion for passion.
Speaker 1: Oh, this is a good one.
Speaker 5: Passion ship not to edit this one too?
Speaker 1: Damn, fuck damn, fuck damn.
Speaker 5: The passion. Who has the passion right now?
Speaker 2: Hm?
Speaker 1: Hm, damn you don't have to be right now of all time?
Speaker 2: Who got the It could be anybody. Yeah, okay, you know what we want to talk about passion. We want Bobby Brown.
Speaker 1: H every now and then.
Speaker 5: I got so many theories on Bobby, so many.
Speaker 1: I catch myself on YouTube.
Speaker 4: Watching Bobby Brown performances either at awards shows, live and such and such, and I am so entertained.
Speaker 1: I love Bobby Brown. Brown is a national treasure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you want to know something crazy like she makes barbecue, so he does. Like even with Chris Brown, for example, I love a huge about.
Speaker 1: The Brown name.
Speaker 5: Something about the.
Speaker 4: Brown name Brown, Chris Brown, Bobby Brown, Jane, Orlando Brobby or Orlando is Orlando Brown?
Speaker 1: Who gonna win the fight? Orlando Brown or ray J? They about to fight for real, They about to have a celectrity box about you know what. It's random, but.
Speaker 5: Ray J might lose just because Orlando. I don't know if you can knock a crack it out?
Speaker 1: What is he a cracky.
Speaker 5: He's something.
Speaker 1: I just know, motherfuckers that be on that ship. You ain't knocking him out. I hope he crack it might not. I don't know him. It might be something, so I hope not. But I love Bobby. I think that.
Speaker 2: What I was gonna say is that like even with Chris Brown and in all his greatness when but like Michael, Michael Michael, and yes we see the Michael influence.
Speaker 5: But there's a lot of Bobby Brown in there too. Yes, there's a ton of Bobby Brown in.
Speaker 2: There, even the career like the ye, the bad boy, the controvert, like all the things, like yes, like for sure, Bobby's that guy. Bobby was like, who give me this mic and get the fuck out of my way? Bobby did what the hell he had to the guy.
Speaker 1: Out his business?
Speaker 4: Right, Okay, who's gonna write the song dream a right? Because we said to him earlier, but I want you to say it again. Nood I forgot Yeah, Okay, we need hits, that's what we got. And he got hits on top of good lord.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he breathes its like he just takes a breath.
Speaker 4: Hit.
Speaker 1: This is true.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 4: Okay, we know one more thing before I let you out of here. Okay, and don't act like you weren't prepared, because I know you know, I know you know what. What's what's on the way, play of jams, plenty of jamser.
Speaker 3: I ain't saying no nature, saying no names, saying no names, ain't saying no name.
Speaker 4: What you did?
Speaker 1: Don't say? She ain't saying no name.
Speaker 4: We've arrived. We've arrived. We have arrived at this very very important part of this show.
Speaker 1: Lord.
Speaker 4: A lot of people will say it's their favorite part of the show. What I've heard in the streets the name of the game. I ain't saying no names. Will you tell us a story funny or fucked up? Are funny and fucked up? The only rule to this game is she can't say no name.
Speaker 1: I won't, Lord, what they doing out here? What you what? You didn't do? What you inexperienced out here? Oh Ship? Because you didn't tell me some funny ones before I did.
Speaker 5: There's some there's some funny ones, but you know some of them.
Speaker 1: It's like, I can't the dance is yours?
Speaker 5: Mm hmm, what's the fun Do I have a funny one?
Speaker 1: I fucked up?
Speaker 2: Damn?
Speaker 1: Are so funny as fucked up? So fucked up? It's funny? You see what I did that, Oh Ship? This is oh man?
Speaker 5: See I got some good ones. But they probably watch a podcast.
Speaker 2: They're gonna be like, bitch, ain't saying your name, Okay, okay, all right.
Speaker 1: So one time I.
Speaker 5: Called to the studio to write some R and B records and I was like, okay, So I get to the studio and there's like.
Speaker 1: Fifteen street niggas in the room, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, for R and B, that all cool, all good, and I just, you know, I walk in there, it's all good. So you know, again, me with myself, when I go in rooms, I'm just very observant, and especially when I see too much of one thing, I'm paying very close attention to my surroundings. So the person that that was leading the session, I guess he was a little under the influence, so he started kind of getting a little like demanding to the room.
Speaker 5: It's like, bring me to Hookah, come over here and take it back and bring it over there.
Speaker 2: And this poor intern is getting ran ragged, and I'm just like, oh my god, I feel so bad for this person. So we go in the in the booth, and which I don't even like booths to begin with, but we're in the booth and because we're writing and freestyling and writing a little bit at the same time, and it's fifteen, it's just it's a lot going on. So the other producer could hear me saying the lines to this writer and he goes, why don't you just let she record it? And I don't know who or what told him to say that, but that, for whatever reason triggered this person and he goes, what the fuck.
Speaker 1: You just told me to do?
Speaker 5: And I was like.
Speaker 2: Sitting in the back and I'm like, he gotta be joking. So everybody's laughing, oh ha ha ha. His dude storms out the booth, looks at the in turn that.
Speaker 5: Is like, go in there and get the hookah because he's got the hookah in the booth.
Speaker 2: This is obnoxious behavior going there and get the hookah. It goes thep to the producer and it's like, what the fuck you just fucking told me to let this girl record? And they're like, bro, she's feeding you the lines like just let her do it, motherfucker.
Speaker 5: You can't fuck it down me how to ride a song.
Speaker 2: And this and that, and they're going off and then I'm looking and I'm like, oh, there are firearms in this room, and there are tension. Tension is like raising, and I'm texting my whole boy, what are my really close friends. And I'm like, hey, I'm about to exit left because I'm not doing this. And they're literally arguing back and forth like two babies, all because one person told the other person to just let me.
Speaker 5: Record the reference. So I was just like, hey, you know, you can record the reference.
Speaker 1: I don't have to do it.
Speaker 2: But by this time it's already up, so the other producers trying to calm the situation down, the other men that are in the room. That's when I realize, oh, y'all don't even fucking write songs.
Speaker 1: Y'all just here.
Speaker 2: So it was just like tension was just getting super super high there are well, one person was arguing, the other one is like laughing at the situation.
Speaker 5: Mid argument, he's like, and.
Speaker 1: Where's the hookah?
Speaker 2: And I'm like, you gotta be fucking kidding me. At this point, you still screaming for this day of hookah. Meanwhile, I'm like, y'all, we're in here writing R and B. I don't know a single R and B song that requires hookah, guns, arguments and any of this energy, but I know that I'm about to get the fuck on, like I'm leaving.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a new era of R and B.
Speaker 2: It's a new era of R and B. And honestly, this is like a light story. But they they ended up like call me down and everything. They ended up calming down and stuff. But that did not stop me from getting the fuck on. Needless to say, these R and B songs never came out. I don't even know if these R and B songs were ever even the.
Speaker 1: Hookah records would never drop.
Speaker 5: The Hookah records were never dropped.
Speaker 2: They they never came out, but it was It was pretty hilarious because it was a pretty big writer and producer, and the producer was even just so puzzled, like, what the fuck is even happening here?
Speaker 1: Is Hookah.
Speaker 5: Legend?
Speaker 3: Has it?
Speaker 5: It's still on the way you left because I fucking got the hell on.
Speaker 1: Oh man, poor kid.
Speaker 2: And I just looked at the intern before I walked out, and I said, hey, honey, you know you don't have to deal with this, right, Hey, when people are mean the interns.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's just not cool.
Speaker 5: But yeah, there's something light.
Speaker 2: I have other stories, guys, but you guys are gonna have to wait like another twenty thirty years before I could tell those No, it's.
Speaker 1: Gonna be tough.
Speaker 5: You already got them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we sat in the studio in day.
Speaker 5: You got a lot of tea. Yeah, but that's that's the one I got.
Speaker 1: The other ones are I love it. That's funny. That's really funny.
Speaker 2: It's actually it's like, I know, the firearms make it sound serious, but it's Atlanta whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Drake, I.
Speaker 4: Already knew it was Atlanta when you said too, he said to hookah r and b hookah.
Speaker 5: Guns Atlanta easy.
Speaker 1: So yeah, there we go. That's what I got. This has been amazing. I had a blast and I really appreciate you pulling up on me. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 4: Really cool and I'm glad that you were here to give this type of information. Yeah, because people need to from the young oh male.
Speaker 1: Female.
Speaker 5: Need it.
Speaker 1: They need this.
Speaker 4: They need to hear how this is really done and the process of it, all the sacrifices of it, all.
Speaker 1: The acceptance, the putting your ego to the side. It's a big part of it. This is a huge part of how this really works.
Speaker 4: Instead of being the person that's on the sideline talking about all these people are evil, I can't get my shot, and you had your shot.
Speaker 1: And you weren't open to it. You didn't allow it to come into your life. You didn't listen to God.
Speaker 5: No obeience is a big part of it.
Speaker 2: And also like just in closing line, you know we're wrapping up and everything, but the bottom line is like nobody is going to give you shit, right and even if they do give you shit, you still have a job to do, you know what I mean. Even if there is somebody that is kind enough or gracious enough to extend something to you, they can put you in the room. What you do when you're in there, that's all on you. Nobody can't, you know what I mean? Like these hits on right themselves. You want them to write you to hit and give you the credit, doesn't.
Speaker 1: It doesn't work that way. Show up and show out.
Speaker 5: You have to show up and show out.
Speaker 2: And you know, just if you run into a situation where you feel like, you know, I've been done wrong or these people aren't fair to me or whatever, just remember Eddie Murphy and Will Smith don't have a movie together. You ain't gotta work with them, and you'll still be successful. And you know what, God bless them, maybe they'll still be successful too. It's okay. You don't got to wish people bad. You just go find your circle of people, absolutely, you know, and you'll be fine. But you know that whole saying, I have this thing where I'm just like people. You say things and people say, oh, that's cliche, But cliches are only cliches because everybody says it. But if everybody says it, it must be true. So when they say, like, it doesn't get easier you get better, that is cliche as the sounds.
Speaker 5: It's the truth. This shit doesn't get easier.
Speaker 2: The further and further that you go, the bigger the records get, the more crazy the politics get, the harder it gets. But you do get better at learning how to navigate the bs and learning to like not take everything so personal, not like they're out to get me, you know what I mean. People, if someone's a fuck the person, just a fuck a person, you know what I mean, It's not always personal to you, And all you know to yourself is like, Okay, I don't.
Speaker 5: Have to deal with that.
Speaker 2: But the people that you do do good business with, keep them, protect them, keep those relationships, relationships, keep those relationships, protect them with your life and even if you have like two or three or four people that you're like, you know what, every time we get in, we make magic.
Speaker 5: We're making money you need.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you'd be all right. I love that. Thanks, I love that.
Speaker 4: Thanks for pulling up. Protect the Valentine. Okay, protective. I don't know from what, but just protect me.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm protecting you.
Speaker 5: It's fine. Me and my flamingos were pulling up and the bodyguard. Could you imagine that? Me, flamingos and a bodyguard.
Speaker 1: What on the way, it's a movie? Oh yeah, that is absolutely what you are. You are a movie coming soon. The movie's coming soon. Save Valentine. This is a chic. You've been tuned into R and B money. We love you. Don't beat me up in the comments this week. Okay, guys,