Speaker 1: Are you leave in I you wanna way back home? Either way, we want to be there.
Speaker 2: Doesn't matter how much baggage you claim and give us time and a terminol and gay a. We want to send you off InStyle. We want to welcome you back home.
Speaker 1: Tell us all about it.
Speaker 3: We scared her?
Speaker 1: Was it fine?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: Porn? Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 3: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride? Ride? Do you need.
Speaker 3: With Karen and Chris welcome to Do you need a ride? This is Chris.
Speaker 1: Fairbanks and this is Karen Kilgaroth from our homes here in southern California.
Speaker 3: Yes, Quarantine style. Hello Karen, my friend.
Speaker 1: Hello Chris?
Speaker 3: How are you? I'm good? How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm really good. Now that I've seen your hair, it's gone from unwieldy wild to now it looks like you're kind of styling and shaping it in its large, almost like you have a really big perm from the late sixties.
Speaker 3: This might blow your mind, but I did nothing to shape or style it except wake up. I put some I put some hair mask in it before bed, and that's really been seeping into I just wanted to lay down at some point. I've never grown my hair to wear it. It actually defies gravity and goes down at any point. I don't think it'll ever happen.
Speaker 1: I don't think it can unless it's like two feet long, because it would have like, how would it do it?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Relaxers, should we get you some Queen Helene? Relax it?
Speaker 3: When I did? She does she make collect the Paul Ryan thing. I got my hair professionally straightened, oh right, and it lasted for like two days. It wasn't quite worth it, but it did. It was still wavy, and I still had to bombard it with pomades.
Speaker 1: And you know that's because your hair grows very fast. Have you been told that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And the weird thing is it grows fast on the side. This is from a shaved side long on the top, haircut grown out, And this is what grows the fastest. Right in this quadrant, much faster than this side. Weird, so much faster. This is a huge This is where all the growth is. Of course there isn't as much up here, but I'm not complaining. There's there's all people out there and my I mean, I have other problems I'm not bragging.
Speaker 1: And some people don't think balding's a problem whatsoever.
Speaker 3: Exactly, and I might be. I don't think it is. Yeah, you can just shave your head and look like Jason Statham, whose movies I've been watching on YouTube. I have watched so many action movies I didn't realize and now it's just suggesting more. And I'm down this Expendables wormhole. I don't watch any comedy.
Speaker 1: Don't ever go down an Expendables wormhole. It's never ending, smells like mothballs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've been watching way too many acts. I'm watching Breaking Bad right now because I never watched it.
Speaker 1: Very good show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now I can be part of those conversations from years ago. I still don't know what happens.
Speaker 1: He breaks down. What season are you on?
Speaker 3: Very final? Season five, episode sixteen, probably the last one. I'm about to see what happens. I don't think it ends well.
Speaker 1: Uh No, many meth stories don't end well, and this one is no different. Yeah, but uh don't you love the wife Skyler?
Speaker 3: I do? Yeah, she's becoming it was The show reached a point where no one was redeemable except the DEA agent guy and It's like, you're not even supposed to be rooting for him and I when the main characters aren't likable, that whole pulp fiction syndrome. I kind of tune out. I gotta like somebody.
Speaker 1: Oh but I love Skyler, Yeah I do.
Speaker 3: Now That's why I'm glad I'm watching the end because she's.
Speaker 1: Oh, you like had a journey through where you're like enough of that, lady.
Speaker 3: It was a journey of liking and unliking and re li liking.
Speaker 1: Which is isn't that just like li?
Speaker 3: It really is. It does with people too. It's so amazing.
Speaker 1: Do you remember the scene where he throws the pizza on the roof? Yes, spoiler alert, you know he did that in one take. That just happened. Oh right, that's how it turned out when he first tried to do it, I was supposed to throw it somewhere else.
Speaker 3: That's funny. I remember seeing that and wondering how the hell he did that on purpose?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And also, isn't Bob Odenkirk unbelievable in that show?
Speaker 3: Yeah? He's the best. I remember a long time ago. I can't remember. It was an audition that I knew. I wouldn't get and there was all these people that I look up to waiting and he was right before me. I can't remember what it was, but back then, this was before Breaking Dad, and I always and at the kind of the peak of David Cross's career, and I was always thought, just because he's my favorite from that show you were on, mister yeah, mister that show you were on to you, mister show is my father's name.
Speaker 1: Mister show's my father. Call me, Please call me Karen.
Speaker 3: But I'm like, man, why isn't he not He's always been such a great actor. And then you know, I predicted it. He owes me an apology or thank you, you're welcome, Bob I was.
Speaker 1: You know, sometimes when I see people that we know from comedy in TV shows, that actually totally ruins it for me, because all I can think about is them getting it and how nervous they are or they don't seem or that they're good actors comparatively or bad or it just takes me out of it entirely. And so I had that moment of like, oh no, but he was. That character is so different than actually Bob Odenkirk. It's so strange and it's like he's doing a comedy character but not real but so real. Yeah, yeah, Like it just made me so happy. Do you want to hear some inside? This is a story you'll only hear here on Do you need a ride? It's exclusive?
Speaker 3: Yes, I do. I want to hear inside, scoop.
Speaker 1: It's kind of hilarious. They did a Mister Show reunion on Zoom the Zoom Tacular.
Speaker 3: Oh recently, Okay.
Speaker 1: It was Wednesday. I was invited to it. I said, yes, I would love to do it. I thought it was on Friday. I thought it was today. So I missed it entirely, and like four minutes before it was starting, Jill Tally called me to say and she texted me after she called, but I was on the phone with my friend and I saw that she called. And my first the first thing that went through my head, which is so embarrassing and stupid, but I'll say it anyway, is I thought she was calling to wish me happy birthday, which was Monday. So I had this It was like very egoly, and then like people started texting me going why aren't you on this? And then I was like, oh god. And so it turned out when Bob asked me. So Bob was the one. Bob was the organizer, which is kind of hilarious, and he had my old email address. So when I responded, I said, I'm so excited that you asked me. I can't wait. Please use this email address. It's my cat mail, it's my current one. Yeah, exactly, Please don't use my earthlink anymore. And he didn't see it. So then I was like, I was like, if I don't hear from him, because I saw that it was on the fifteenth, So I was like, well, if I don't hear from him by Thursday, I'll just go check my old email address again. Did I never use Yeah? And then so that was just a plan in my head. And so when those calls started coming in on Wednesday, I was like, oh fuck, Like I should have checked that email again because.
Speaker 3: The were like what must be for my birthday? Like the time you got that woman was giving you a balloon.
Speaker 1: It was exactly the balloon bouquet, but in a phone call where it was like, no, Jill's trying to call you and give you bad news, and like it was it was so embarrassing.
Speaker 3: But anyway, you would have had to have learned lines was the reunion just a chat or where there.
Speaker 1: Was like a script. But when I got the email, the original email was like script is coming, blah blah blah. But then what I didn't the update I didn't get was that the date changed and this script came and a bunch of other stuff went and it was all too The email that I own that only is like Zappo's twenty five percent off one eight hundred flowers, Like it's all basically coupons and bullshit. It's one of those emails that I never look at.
Speaker 3: Did it works really wid? Did it work the zoom as well as these things work.
Speaker 1: No, I was on the phone. Oh, then I was. Then I was like, oh my god. Then I was like scared. I was scared. Yeah, it was happening real time. Then I was like, oh my god, they're going to be so mad or they're going to think I'm an asshole. And then Jill when when it was over, Jill texting me back and she goes, oh, bob nose, he messed up. It was really it was very sad and hilarious.
Speaker 3: Will from the show, Yes, yeah, she's great.
Speaker 1: She's like the main female cast. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, itally she's cool. I know it. It was, but apparently it went great. I mean they threw it together. It was for charity. I think they're re airing it so people can watch it again sometime soon. And you know it was they wrote a bunch of new sketches and new stuff, so apparently it was great. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I didn't think I would like watching sketch comedy on Zoom, but I think I like it better than an audience laughing. It turns out I don't like not only laugh tracks. Oun't like live audiences. I'd rather watch people play their part in living rooms. Maybe not with sketch, but when someone's doing a one person character like they have been doing. I've been enjoying SNL for the first time in years.
Speaker 1: I like that's what we were saying, like that that what's up with that sketch? There's stuff, there's stuff going on where you know the effort that's being put in and how hard it is, Like we have a hard time just having a regular conversation because the timing is so fucking weird.
Speaker 3: Everyone appreciates it audience wise too, because they're also using the same I love that everyone's using Zoom, except there's one guy, Charles Zoom getting rich. I assume his name is his last name is Zoom, like Tom Cruise, But I yeah, I did the other day, I did a morning show in Chicago. There's a woman named Lily that likes our podcast and booked me on this show. I had to get up at eight in the morning, and they just wanted to see a tour of my apartment. So it was over Zoom and they had a background in each of They were in their living rooms too, but they had a background, so it looked like I was on a panel show. And it was so fun. They were delightful people. But it opened with I'm like, well, look, here's a clock my dad made. And I got up and went to lean back to take a picture of this clock, and I fell over, ironically, the other redwood friend of it's this table and landed on this eagle and it gabbed me in the ass and I fell back. I hurt my hand skateboarding the other day, but not as bad as I did when I fell over this table and landed and it was swollen and bruised. I think maybe I broke my hand. And they all laughed they thought I was doing a pratfall. I'm like with it, I did, I said, I really uh hurt my hand just then I do believe And they're like, ha ha uh physical comedy. I'm like, no, really, I didn't have time to so it was throbbing and I was in so much pain. But I did this twenty minute tour of my home, of my wallpaper basically, and it was so fun.
Speaker 1: There is yeah, I'm sorry, did you is it? Because they've been seeing your videos like on Instagram.
Speaker 3: I think they know that. They listened to the host one of the hosts, John and this woman Lily that works for the show. They both listened to the podcast.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: And I hate that word when talking of about myself, but I was a celebrity guest.
Speaker 1: And gutting yourself above everyone. But here you are, Hey, there you go. It's just, you know, it's something I'm getting used to. But I was so this was broken. It broke off the wing and the head.
Speaker 3: I had a clue it.
Speaker 1: How about we put that up on a high shelf and get it people?
Speaker 3: If you actually very dangerous looking.
Speaker 1: It's a very poky wings out what an eagle Chris is holding up right now. That looks like it would be on President Trump's desk.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's why I love it. It reminds me of that time a real eagle attacked him.
Speaker 1: And there's like that time he talk of salad on Synco to Mile. Oh god, what what version of reality are we in?
Speaker 3: I love that it did cut I have. I can't show my ass, of course, but there is an abrasion from that bird. How great you go on? I said to myself, that's right.
Speaker 1: Never let him see you abraise the classic saying did you have that haircut? Hairstyle?
Speaker 3: I did? I did? I let him. I gave him the whole package.
Speaker 1: Nice. That's called entertainment. It's called being an entertainer.
Speaker 3: That's entertainment. One of my favord houses by the.
Speaker 1: Jam Oh I thought you meant the old the old fashioned one. That's and the tame I did. My favorite song is from a Follies from nineteen thirty five.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you love that? Did you rag time?
Speaker 1: That old thing? Didn't you do a stand up show the other night too?
Speaker 3: Lad? I have been, I've really been. At first, I very much wasn't enjoying it because we're so used to I especially am. If I don't hear people laughing, I think I'm doing terribly even when I'm not. Yeah, I'm so. This has been pretty good for me to just trust that what I'm saying is working and plow through it. And then all of a sudden it's solo podcast mode. It's like, oh, it's like I'm just driving around talking to myself. I can do that and later find out that people like it. I don't need to know right now. Why am I so impatient?
Speaker 1: No? I know. It's almost like writing a letter or being gossiped about. You hear about it after the fast.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, or when it matters yeah, or being in a relationship and you don't know until years later that they loved you or hated you. Yeah. Yeah, that's fun too. Yeah. So let us know if you hate us, but wait.
Speaker 1: A few months, let's really put a pause on the hate. Definitely let us know if you love us though. That'll help us in these trying times.
Speaker 3: Put a pause on the hate should be everywhere right now.
Speaker 1: Put a pause on the hate until quarantine's over. Mens.
Speaker 3: I also, my friend, I've been I agreed to do this just so I would have a story, because it's hard to have news for each of us to tell when we're just sitting in our houses. I drove down to Huntington Beach to check out a van that's going to be modified into a dump truck for my very good friend's business in Montana. He brings mulch and wood chips to people's houses. It's an app called Little Dumps, and they there's a truck down here that can't be resold in California because it smog testing or it's diesel or something. So for a very affordable price, they're going to buy it. And I was thinking of driving it to Montana, but then I started thinking about truck stops and gas nozzles, and I feel like it's not safe enough to do that yet. But I went down to Huntington Beach and no one had a mask, and no one won, no one was wearing a mask. It's fifty minutes south and it's like another world. I saw kids in the backs of trucks, and absolutely it's not just the protesters there. It seemed like it was everyone because their numbers are lower, and it was even the guy that was selling the van had a mask, but it wasn't on his face. And I'm like, Wow, you're the only guy I've seen with a mask. He's like, well, I know you're from Los Angeles, so I knew you would have a mask, Like he was conscious of the difference.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I don't. I feel like those the news covering those protests, when it's like, you know, one hundred people or whatever, it's the worst thing they could have done because they're giving permission to people who were wouldn't would normally have just followed the rules. Yeah, But then they see people flawn flaunting the rules that way. Yeah, and then they're like, well, then they're just buying into the easiest rationale of it doesn't really matter, and it's like it you can tell yourself anything you want, but it does matter, and when people die. You know, the in Huntington Beach and down that in Orange County, the numbers went up six hundred and fifty percent the case the amount of care went up that much. Two weeks after those protests because people it was started going I'm going to the beach.
Speaker 3: I've been meaning to look that up, and it totally makes sense. And the people I was seeing, they're normal people that aren't defiantly yelling and saying this is my riote as an American or anything. They just like you said, they saw that on the news and they're like, well, I'm not going to be a dick about it, but if they aren't wearing a mask, I'm not well.
Speaker 1: And the news isn't following up with the like putting the report at the top of the news in the same way that the protest was at the top of the news. So it's like there's an actual direct correlation in this direct effect, but they're not reporting on the effect. So everyone's telling themselves it's fine, we can all carry our guns around and everything's fine because we've decided this is reality, and it's like it's not. It just isn't.
Speaker 3: What's there a gun thing happening in conduct.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the whole thing. When they were saying reopen everything, and they were bringing and that was more. It didn't happen in California as much as the crazy one in Michigan and in different and like I think Colorado a bunch of like you know, state capital type of sites where people were just showing up with guns going reopen the state, and it's just like it doesn't work that way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm proud of my little town, Missoula, Montana, which happens to be a liberal place for Montana. And they everyone's still following the rules. They're just you know, you have to. Most businesses are still closed. Everyone's wearing masks, and I think that that's what we should be doing.
Speaker 1: Still.
Speaker 3: I would love to drive up there in a dump truck, but it's too scary for me.
Speaker 1: It's pretty scary.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, it's just it's just such a question mark. And that's the thing that just makes no sense. It's like it's such now this world is divided into the people who understand that the question mark is the threat, and then there's the people who are taking the question mark. Is that means nothing's happening. It's just like a horror movie. It's exactly like a horror movie.
Speaker 3: And I've been watching those two. I'm watching a lot movies exactly about what's happening, to check the accuracy of what they thought a pandemic would be ten years ago.
Speaker 1: So did you watch Contagion because I just watched it.
Speaker 3: The other night.
Speaker 1: Sure, it's so bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The idea that the Renee Russo and Dustin Hoffman are a married couple that are about to get doors Ludacris. Yeah, Rene Russo is like one of the most perfect looking women in all of the history of show business.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's as unbelievable, as unbelievable as uh as oh who in Tutsi, Jessica Lang.
Speaker 1: I mean I love Dustin Hoffman too, is great. I think he's great and witty and stuff like that. But then you're seeing in the Moor, You're like, hmm, you couldn't have gotten oh Renaine Russo equivalent here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, exactly. Yeah, there is a different problem there. We can all love Dustin Hoffman, but no one's accusing him of being hot.
Speaker 1: Well you can't. I mean, I don't know. It's if you're going to do that, then you have to build in the love story much clearer. So what is it? Why are they connected? Is it just disease?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Or do those two dogs that they own together? Also, what about that poor little monkey that had so many scenes in that movie and all that it was like clear clearly being like shocked and scared and like there were so many disturbing little monkey scenes.
Speaker 3: Have you seen Project Decks If you want some disturbing monkey scenes? In a great movie. You gotta see Project Decks.
Speaker 1: Do you like monkey spinning in a big in a big barrel? Yeah, in a big space.
Speaker 3: Uh, monkey astronauts, we all know what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you. Do you want to see a monkey space camp? That's what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 3: Do you want to see a monkey hooked up to an oxygen tube floating around with joy.
Speaker 1: Screaming at the top of his lungs, saying, please, don't make me be an actor anymore. I want to pull someone's face and genitals off.
Speaker 3: You know, I worked with the tiny monkey from Friends. I can't remember the monkey from Friends its name, but Ross had a monkey and Marcel Marcel, thank you.
Speaker 1: You're welcome.
Speaker 3: That monkey is alive and well and difficult to work with. It sounds like I'm it was for.
Speaker 1: Much like David Swimmer.
Speaker 3: Difficult. It's really full of himself, taller than.
Speaker 1: You'd expect, constant screaming.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes and uh, and has a pending lawsuit with Jennifer Aniston. This monkey just kidding. I don't know that's made up. Sorry David Swimmer, but this monkey, it really did. The monkey did throw its poop at me. At one point, Yeah, it's a fucking monkey. Yeah, it doesn't want to be there. After a few days, though, I think the monkey could tell that I liked it and wanted to be its friend, and then it was nice and would like grab my finger and stuff. I'm like, hi, I need to grab my finger. And it really made me feel good. That's all I wanted a monkey.
Speaker 1: You you won that angry monkey over?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I just want to win over the angry monkeys same or anyone that goes like me. I will focus on you until you like me, even if you're primates.
Speaker 1: Like it's like how it happens in stand up where you scan the audience and you only land on the person that's just sneering at you. But it's a monkey with its arms, girls, I will.
Speaker 3: Oh god, I'm on to a show for an entire audience of monkeys, just for the visual, not for the way to make me feel. Yeah, monkeys, aren't you want them to be your friend? I love them on video. I wanted him to sit on my shoulder, but I could tell at any moment he would just snap and no one would be there to answer questions.
Speaker 1: No, because also, even though there are those you were saying, it's one of those little like a cat, not capuchin, but this little monkey. Yeah monkey, we still need the strength of ten men.
Speaker 3: Oh totally.
Speaker 1: Oh this could turn on me and just pull my arm off just any minute. Also wait, sorry, going back to the film Contagion, which when I started watching it, there was something in me where I'm like, fuck it, I'm watching this. I'm gonna make myself watch it like that. It was gonna scare me or help me adjust to this new normal blah blah blah whatever, and it was just silly, kind of like Kevin. What about Kevin Spacey with his red buzz cut? Oh yeah, Like I forgot that.
Speaker 3: He was in that. Yeah, Yeah's there's a lot He's hard to watch now, right because he was playing he and this is a common theme for him, I think.
Speaker 1: But it's like he's playing this smug asshole in this way where it just stands out. It's like eats up the scenery in this way. We're just like, why would you all be friends if you talk this way.
Speaker 3: To Dustin and if you went back to that set, you know, the director was just like be yourself, Kevin.
Speaker 1: What about how scary? Donald Sutherland is as that like nuts, so general, that's just like kill the entire town.
Speaker 3: He is so Yeah, he can really scare me in a way no one can I blame invasion of the body snatchers. Yes, he just brings the fear in me in a way that Keiefer doesn't.
Speaker 1: You're right, I think because I think Donald Sutherland. His voice is so deep, his eyes are so big and bulgy, and he enunciates really perfectly, and that to me is the tryad of evil.
Speaker 3: I've been meaning to start enunciating. I think it would help. I'm going to start right now. Okay, Am I scary? Am I scary to you? Look it up big? My eyeballs are caring.
Speaker 1: Those were some big eyes.
Speaker 3: What about yeah, Karen.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes see that's no good.
Speaker 3: Oh if you people could see this video, I'm horrifying. Karen Carrot, Okay, I'm done.
Speaker 1: If you only got that you had a little top hat embedded in your hair right now, that would make it the area.
Speaker 3: One somewhere in my apartment. It just pins in.
Speaker 1: There, just just a little pin tiny.
Speaker 3: Oh my, I'm so excited. My dollhouse arrives in one week. I don't know why it's taking so long.
Speaker 1: I have all Oh, I'll tell you. There's a pandemic.
Speaker 3: That's right. Everyone is ordering dollhouses. Everyone has dollhouse fever.
Speaker 1: This is the thing where whence big stuff happens, people panic and they buy dollhouses. It's a way of comforting yourself. Everyone's doing it. The whole dollhouse shelves are empty at the grocery store. It happens every pandemic, this happens.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, it's like we're confined to our houses, and people are like, we have no choice but to go even smaller. Yeah, I'm gonna confined myself to a miniature home.
Speaker 1: That's actually it does kind of make sense. Like you're in your house, and I'm sure most people are just like, oh, I wish this house was bigger. But if you get a dollhouse, there's a little perspective, there's a little gratitude attitude.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe that's it. I'm just is my place small now as compared to this dollhouse. It'll make me feel better about my own house now.
Speaker 1: I live in a palatial estate compared to this little house, this tiny house for dolls.
Speaker 3: Are you how was your mother's day? Did you do anything.
Speaker 1: Everything was fine, everything was regular. Then I it was like, you know, it's whatever. I kind of stayed off social media a little bit. Then at the end of the day, yep, I decided to do a social media post about my mom.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: But I took the secret behind the scenes fact. I took a picture and it's of actually of my mom and my sister because it's from nineteen sixty eight. Did you see that because she has huge hair. She has like a big old beehive. No, it's a little bigger than yours. Yeah, And I basically just was like, I miss my mom. She was the best, call your mom if you can type of thing. But then the responses to that is that is what made me sad, because there's so many people that are just like us whose moms have died either recently they haven't had them for a while. Yeah, lots of people who have moms they miss really bad. And they were people were telling me little stories and posting pictures and it was very lovely, but it was it was just like, you know, that's how that holiday is. It's a little bittersweet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was right my last Mother's Day, I just had something to distract me, I guess, but this time, just like you at like nine PM, I'm like, well, I have to. I've been holding onto this video of trying to make her laugh towards the end, and I posted that and then the response is, like you said, is what made me really think about her for days after. But also so people kept sending me this same video because I guess. I've talked about how my mom would watch me skateboard secretly in the house, and I'd hear her cheer when I would land something, and I'm so embarrassed, and I'd even go in and tell her to stop watching me, which is so silly now because how cool is that that she would watch. But there's a video of some this guy does a trick and this woman pass her by loses her mind. She's jumping up and down. She can't believe what she just saw. She drops her bags and she's clapping, and then the skater comes up the stairs and she hugs him. She was so she'd never seen anything so excited. And then everyone sent me that and said, that's how your mom would act.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's there's one of a woman who does that and she's telling him to try again. Is it that one?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no, no, it's just the guy does the trick. And then this woman is she justestarting. She just becomes part of the video. She runs down thing with joy. Yeah, it's it's the best I've been it.
Speaker 1: I love that people. That's the effect of skateboarding. Did you see that? I posted a video these three skateboarders in Canada and I think it was Toronto or Montreal. I can't remember, Sorry, Canada. I do that all the time. But yeah, they because there's so little traffic on the freeway, these three skateboarders just came to they were they were skateboarding down the freeway, took an exit, and somebody filmed them from uh like a high rise. So it was the cool Did you see it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: It was so cool.
Speaker 3: Headline was like police are investigating they like it was they were looking for these criminals.
Speaker 1: Yes, And then the guy that retweeted wrote we retweeted it, wrote I've looked into this case and I find it it's something like it totally shreds or fucking shreds or something like that. That's so awesome. But I retweeted it and it was that kind of thing of Like if it was nineteen ninety eight, I would have never retweeted that because I would be a poser scape. I have nothing to do skateboarding, Like how dare you? But it's like it just feels like these days you can kind of like you're allowed to be a fan of things without having to qualify to be a fan of something. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and even maybe more specifically, it seems like it is something that if you're doing it alone, plus they were all six feet apart, it's something that is okay to do right now. Yeah, yeah, because you're by yourself. And even golfing you have to go to a place, go to a parking lot, go to a you have to be around people. So you see someone golfing, it's like too soon. But skateboarding you really don't have to be around anyone. You can be by yourself. Yeah, but I've been doing it, and I have to admit I don't wear a mask so someone could come up to me, but I can skate away.
Speaker 1: True, you have an escape roAP. Also, don't you just have a mask like around your neck or are you and your buddies? You can't do it because there's a serious masculinity issue.
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, everyone has. It's just in the back pocket. But it is kind of hard to breathe. Like I've been trying to jog, which I'm terrible at. I forgot how to run and my lungs are the worst. But I I have it down like that, Yeah, and then if anyone comes up, I put it on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's same. I've been taking walks around my neighborhood and I just keep it on my wrist because there's almost no one around, and then if someone comes you throw that thing on. But it is hard to breathe, and it is such a strange adjustment, Like I think people expect themselves to just be immediately fine with it, where it's like, no, you're wearing a fucking mask. It's totally weird. It's totally weird. It's not normal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a weird confidence though, Like the times I've been driving with a mask and someone looks over at me as far as they know, you're so beautiful underneath that. My jawline could you could crack as with it? It's so sharp. But really I'm just hiding behind a mask. I think that's why men have beards.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, some Yes.
Speaker 3: My mask is my beard a person that I'm pretending to be a relationship with that you're.
Speaker 1: That you're just justifying things too.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, ah is not the term. Yeah, you're pretending you have a beard. I'm pretending my mask is my girlfriend. Never mind you guys.
Speaker 1: That you're saying that you meant.
Speaker 3: I think I use the term wrong. Oh my god. Have you seen the the Netflix documentary about the Circus of Books that you know me on Sunset it is? I've always driven by it and I always heard yeah, that's mainly a porn store, but the story behind it and the family that owned it is amazing. You should very much.
Speaker 1: I gotta watch it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Is it just called Circus of Books.
Speaker 3: Yes, and it's just a family, normal family that in it was a a a place for gay men to not only get buy things, but hang out. Like there was a whole social scene that happened there. And I think there was another location, maybe in West Hollywood. They kept jumping back and forth to the different locations. I guess there's there.
Speaker 1: Were two locations, but or at least at least two because I in the nineties we went to the Circus of Books you know, Margaret Chow was always like, we've got to go in there. Her parents owned a porn store in San Francisco. Oh so that's like, yeah, that's her, that's her background. But she would go and get you know, like those big, like amazing photography books that were kind of like Maple Thorpy but other photographers or whatever. And I remember just standing in there with her kind of like every everything. I would turn and be like, oh, yeah, totally, and then like open a book and then I would just yeah, shut it and turn turn away because I was just like, this isn't I don't think this is for me. A lot of this stuff is not for me. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like a poser there too. It's like I don't I shouldn't.
Speaker 1: It's tough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you this is your place to hang out. Why am I here being a poser?
Speaker 1: And you know, when I was like in my twenties in San Francisco, almost all my friends were gay men, so I would go to like gay bars with them, and sometimes there would be guys that would just like be giving me really dirty looks, like well I was in the clubhouse and I shouldn't be there, yeah, which was a tiny bit heartbreaking to me. But it is that thing where it's like you're trying you. You've been a marginalized person all your life, and now you've got your like clubhouse. You don't want some fucking some straight you know, some gal with too much lipliner on just standing around staring at you.
Speaker 3: I've been meaning to address that with you. You were way too much flipliner back then.
Speaker 1: Plot that lipliner. It's too late. I can't do anything about it. These are mistakes of the past.
Speaker 3: You can't go back in time. Yeah, it's I love that movie. It talks to all these adult actors and it is the coolest. Watch it if you.
Speaker 1: Haven't, I'm definitely gonna watch it. I can't wait because there's I watched one the other day and it's like it's new on Netflix, and it was it was because I woke. I keep waking up at four in the morning, Steve, and that's when the other night I gave you notes on our our episode. I made a whole thing and it was I was up at four in the morning and these notes of about different things. I said. I was just like, can you just snip this? And I wrote like four notes they came to me almost like a dream. It was insane. So I like got up and wrote those down because I was like, I will definitely forget these if I don't write them down. And then I was just completely awake, you know, yes exactly. It was like my my sleeping. Once my mind could rest, it was like, and now this is what you said wrong, take it out. But but then I got it because I was like, now I'm up, I'm gonna eat some cereal yep, because I have any excuse to eat cereal every day or night.
Speaker 3: Oh that's so funny. I've been waking up at four and eating cereal too. I don't know why, and experiencing that clarity, like having ideas in that moment, and in a way, you don't have it when you wake up at nine or ten or eleven or noon, no whatever.
Speaker 1: My therapist told me, four am is a very creative time for the brain. And if you wake up, don't just immediately go oh, I have insomnia. It's bad. Don't decide it's bad. Yeah, just wake up and listen to what your brain's trying to tell you, and like definitely keep a notebook or something and write stuff down.
Speaker 3: Yep, I've been doing that too. And I've also been waking up at six when I go skateboarding with these guys with our masks, say in our back pockets, we need at seven am. So I usually don't wake up at six for anything, and so now a few times a week, so it's my whole sleep cycle. I've just given myself permission to nap whenever. I slept yes all day the other day and I was awake all night and finished my poster for my special that I want to show you guys. But ooh, I was like thinking more clearly in the middle of the night, and it came easier to design that than it was during the day. During the day, I wanted to put it off, and uh, it's oddly a time to focus. We should be able to sleep whenever we want.
Speaker 1: We can. Ben Franklin apparently that's that was his whole system. He would get up at four in the morning and complete do a bunch of work and like that. There's a whole belief system. And it's like there's circadian rhythms or something, and maybe I'm just naming things whatever, but it's something about that where like your brain is to have has a whole different like schedule that if you follow it and just let it be creative when it feels like being creative. But my point was when I got out, I got up, ate my cereal, turned on Netflix and there was this new thing on and it was basically a bunch. It was like a documentary about hallucinogenics and or hallucinogens. Right, isn't it good? I was Normally I'd be like, I care, Yeah, I just go through. I love He's so cool. Those stories were insane.
Speaker 3: That he pot stories. He made me want to do pi A A P eighty O.
Speaker 1: Don't don't you'll go crazy.
Speaker 3: One I made some pie because the Sting's payote stories. It was Yeah, I loved that. It's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and also those like it was really entertaining because I heard Ben Stiller tell that story about taking too much acid and and calling his dad, which is the It's just such a funny story and his like calling Jerry Stiller when you're on acid, R I P. Jerry Stiller. Yeah you were a legend.
Speaker 3: Yeah. He had just passed when I watched that, And so it was so sweet that story that him telling him it's going to.
Speaker 1: Be okay, it's gonna.
Speaker 3: Be and he thought he thought he was going to be in trouble.
Speaker 1: But yeah, and if he said it was like when I smoked a pal mall and threw up then, so I was like, it's not like that. It's such a good story.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I loved watching that. I loved all the reenactments in the animation. It was really cool.
Speaker 1: Also, some of the day that Jerry Stiller died, someone posted some outtakes from Seinfeld and that there was a scene between a Lane and Jerry Stiller. You were saying a piece of me, yes, And the way she laughs, she's trying so hard. She's such a pro and her laugh is funny in and of it stuff like that, but she can't fucking keep it together. It's the that's I love outtakes anyway. Yeah, go watch that if you're if you're feeling low, go watch some fucking Jerry Stiller outtakes. You'll love it.
Speaker 3: Oh, I mean, And while that was happening, Jason Alexander was he was crawling on the floor. He couldn't even control his ability to sit.
Speaker 1: It is. I love the things. The extra that was sitting next to Jason Alexander is just trying to like not get in trouble herself because you know, and stuff like that, because if she starts laughing, like the stars can do whatever they want. But those extras, if you get in on it, like you're with them too, you will get fired immediately. They'll just pull you.
Speaker 3: And guess no one ever saw her again.
Speaker 1: She was She was actually killed that night. Was Larry David.
Speaker 3: Yep, yeah, by Jason. He's played murderers very well. Think about it, Yes, speaking.
Speaker 1: A murderer's the bad guy and pretty woman.
Speaker 3: I hadn't seen it since I was twelve or thirteen, but I watched Misery the other day and it's a perfect movie.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen it in so long.
Speaker 3: It rewatch it and it ends up in a way that I really didn't expect it to.
Speaker 1: I I need to start making a list. Chris, you have Rex, Chris, I rapped it.
Speaker 3: There is only one there is. I do have some issues. I mean, everyone's seen it, so it's I'm not spoiling anything. But he crashes his car in the beginning right and then is randomly found by Kathy Bates happens to be this stalker of his. She doesn't throw tacks in the road or somehow set up a situation. He just randomly finds his biggest fan who happens to be a psychopath out in the middle of the woods. The chances of that happening are It's impossible.
Speaker 1: It is impossible. Yeah, yeah, I thought you were questioning that.
Speaker 3: I just feel like in the Moo. It's a perfect movie, by the way, and I'm sure the book is great. I don't read, but if I kind of wanted her to somehow be responsible for his car wreck, that's a like a spike strip like the cops use or something.
Speaker 1: You know, you should look into what Stephen King wrote in the book because sometimes right they pull things out, or they don't, they cut scenes or whatever.
Speaker 3: Maybe she was responding, Yeah, it seems like something Stephen King wouldn't overlook, you know, since I know him so well personally.
Speaker 1: Steve, he'd never overlook that.
Speaker 3: Steve, he is a man of details. Do you know that?
Speaker 1: Okay, we'd have two stories for you. Hold on, let me write down forget this second one first of all the first ones past. Stephen King wrote Kojo in an Alcoholic Blackout, which is one of my favorite factoids of all time, Like he did you know that?
Speaker 3: He came out he He's like, what's this? Oh it's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he does not remember writing Kujo at all. Oh my, he doesn't Remembuh. This is a b point to that story, not the second story. Parts of Kujo were filmed in Pedaluma and along Yeah, along Butdega Avenue. When the when they're driving to the mechanics house they drive Basically it was the way home from school for us. So when I saw that movie, I was like, oh my god, it was like I saw a celebrity, but it was the street we used to drive down constantly. So I love that movie and that story. It's very close to my heart.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wow, there's there was something else I watched recently that took place in Pataluma. Quick list all the movies.
Speaker 1: Well, Panky So Got married? Get American Graffiti. Uh with the one Goonies you had a shit ton of them? Wait is it Goodies or no? What's the one where they all build a spaceship and fly away? Oh? Explorers Explorers with a hill by my dad's house.
Speaker 3: Yes? Yeah.
Speaker 1: And Ethan Hawk. I believe baby Ethan Hawks in that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they were both little chubby boys, and I that movie sticks out. Whoever the girl? He liked this girl and that's when they first made the I mean that movie takes a dive once they go to outer space and there's aliens. It's like, oh, come on, yeah, but he was like floating or at her window. Whoever this child actress was that that was my age. When I've watched this movie, I would have dreams about whoever that was. I don't even know who she was, but as a little kid, such a crush on the Did she have red hair?
Speaker 1: Was it Carrie Green, the girl that was in Lucas?
Speaker 3: It may have been her, or it may have been the Peterson girl.
Speaker 1: The girl from from Can't Buy Me loves Amanda Peterson.
Speaker 3: Amanda Pearson. Yeah, and she has a sad story. She like she just died, that she became a drug person and her mugshots are hard to look at because I was I had such a crutch on her too, and no one was supportive and nice door after that it makes me feel bad.
Speaker 1: Well, it's I mean, that's a classic. You know, she was like couldn't have been more almost like as I was growing up and you were growing up, like she was like the popular girl because she was like a teen girl in movies. That was the girl everyone likes. So in Patrick Dempsey and Can't Buy Me Love, he's doing everything in the world to get around this girl.
Speaker 3: He's mowing lawns.
Speaker 1: He's such a tragic nerd. And at the same time you buys her whatever, Yeah she is. She was so charming too. She was such a like lovely She wasn't like the popular girl that's like hot. She was like a believable pretty, nice girl. Yeah you know, no, she was. Amanda was her last year, right, aman, Amanda Peterson?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I already stopped desociating.
Speaker 1: Okay, but sorry, Who's what's the guy's name? This is my second story. What's the guy's name that was in Misery Ship James Cot Buy Me Love? Yes, James Conn Okay, Chris is your recommendation list so far? Misery, Can't Buy Me Love? Circus of books?
Speaker 3: Yes, all very worth. I stand behind those. Maybe not Can't Buy Me Love. It's it's just if you want to watch just to make sure that you would have a crush on that girl as a young boy, then watch. But yeah, I do remember. Also, Patrick Dempsey had a shirt while he is mowing lawns. His T shirt was that you are here and there's an arrow pointing in the universe yes, or or pointing to our universe in the Milky Way, or vice versa. Sorry, I don't know much about space except I like monkeys. But here is a comic JR. Brow that years go patented that design that you are here T shirt design, and at a time where people weren't just ripping off designs, it was copyrighted. And people are like, darn, I wish I thought of it because it was the late eighties or whatever. And he made a lot of money off that you are here space shirt.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, he's a he's a friend of mine. Just he's still in Austin making very funny videos lately.
Speaker 1: Also, well that the camp by Me Love reminded me. If you've never seen the movie Angus, which is basically the nineties version of Camp by Me Love but a different situation. It's such a good movie. N Lucas No No Lucas is an eighties movie. Yeah, yeah, all the all the greats. The Cory's went on a writer Charlie Sheen Kerry Green, and that was also carry Green. Yeah, it was Kerry Green because she was she was basically like a different version of Amanda Peter. She was like kind of a redhead, maybe a tiny yeah, yeah, yeah, but that was one of win Ona Writer's first movies and went on A writer is from Petaluma.
Speaker 3: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: So we watched her, you know, we tracked I personally especially tracked her career as just like look at her doing a real movie, you know, and then you know her. No, she went to a public school, but everyone knew of her because but she left when she was like maybe fifteen, and she hated our town and she hated her school so like she did, she did not have a good time.
Speaker 3: She was such a goth. She was the girl from Beatle Juice.
Speaker 1: She was she was, she really was.
Speaker 3: Yeah. When I went to auditioned for things in Austin, renee Zellweger zel Weger, how do you say her name? Anyway, she got the hometown hero of all the casting places. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's fun to be able to like cheer for your person because they were like That means like maybe something could happen to me.
Speaker 3: Purfect went to my high school for year. That means I have hope.
Speaker 1: Look at Chris, he's really found his light listeners. Chris turned toward a lamp as you said that, and you looked like Judy Garland and a star is born.
Speaker 3: I've been doing enough Quarantine comedy shows that I have a whole light set up and a tripod in my bedroom, so I really I can do it too. Flight.
Speaker 1: It meant the world to me. Wow, you did it too, Yeah, because the suns are fucking there again.
Speaker 3: That looks that you look great? Was that sun? Wow?
Speaker 1: It meant the world to me. It hurts my eyes, yes, but you know it's gonna look it's going to it worth it. But anyway, if you haven't seen the movie Angus, it's from the mid nineties, it's so great. It's like the Pain of high School. It's so good, and it's it's like it's not the typical teen movie. It's like really good.
Speaker 3: I'm writing down Angus.
Speaker 1: Angus, it's great. Okay, But here's are you ready for my story about James Kant? So I worked on Ellen and that we would do bits. We would force these celebrities. They would get booked just to be doing promos for their TV shows and their movies. And then we would force them to do comedy bits. So James Cohn was on what was that show? Was it called Las Vegas? Do you remember?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was.
Speaker 1: On the show called Las Vegas, so he was there. And then the comedy bit we were doing because it was like Oscar season, so we were making people do improvisational Oscar acceptance speeches. It was very but all you had to do was read the teleprompter, right, So, and I think we based I can't, I can't remember, but anyway, I was the one that had to go out and brief James Kahn, and I now that I think about it, I think the producer, because normally the celebrity producer would take care of all of that and we would just do the comedy bits and give them to the producers. But I think the comedy producers like, don't make me explain it to him, like you have to go do it. And I went out and was like, mister con we just we're just doing this. It's an Oscar acceptance bit, and you just look straight into this thing and I'm like explaining it. I'm like halfway through explaining it, which I in retrospect didn't need to explain almost anything. This man's been in show business for forty years already.
Speaker 3: They're going to play music, You're going to be wearing a tucked they'll hang.
Speaker 1: Right, they'll be at you. Yeah, there'll be a lighting cue. Just wait for that. Like I don't have to tell James con how to do a two minute bit on a talk show and so and meanwhile, the audience is dancing, the music is playing. It's very very loud, and so he and I are the only ones that can hear this conversation. And midway through my sense, he turns and goes, let's sorry to fuck up like scarmed it, and I just turned and midsense, I just turned and walked away because it was fucking hilarious.
Speaker 3: Yes, was he fully angry or was he kind of kid?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Yes, I mean, I'm sure he was just frustrated and it was really loud, and he just wanted to lead like he didn't want to do. I'm sure he did. Hidio already done two segments of interview, then we make him stay for a third segment to you know, and do a dumb comedy bit that like he he probably said no to, and they tricked him into doing it anyway, you know what I mean, Like it's like it's not fun for those people. It was so hilarious and I was kind of shaken after and then I was like, oh wait, that kind of is the best thing of all time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, let's read. But much like his son Scottie, he is a tiny person, right. I just know Kathy Bates was like towering over him in Misery.
Speaker 1: I think he didn't seem tiny to me.
Speaker 3: He was in bed most of the movie. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think you were thinking that him laying down was his height, and that's not it. That's not true.
Speaker 3: He's a disembodied shoulders and head right they no, no, no, a body, Oh no, oh.
Speaker 1: No, no no, no, he can stand. You should see his other films. He's got a ton of them.
Speaker 3: He has a body.
Speaker 1: He is a body, a Torso Limeley.
Speaker 3: James Kahan has a body everything.
Speaker 1: Yes, Chris into the Light, James Cohn's body. It's like another person's pot.
Speaker 3: Wow, it's got brighter. I didn't The Sun is Going Down as Sweet podcast I that movie that I've talked about all too much where the Scorpion was in my Pants. Scott con was also in that was he. Yeah, he was one of.
Speaker 1: The Wait was this the film Outlaws?
Speaker 3: American Outlaws?
Speaker 1: Yes, American Outlaws. I've seen it probably ten times.
Speaker 3: Are you kidding? Yeah?
Speaker 1: The thing's always on It used to always be on cable.
Speaker 3: It's funny. Yeah, it's like The poor Man's Young Guns.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or The dumb Man's Tombstone.
Speaker 3: I think everyone involved in, including the director who made Flubber, would agree.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but no one would do really quick, can we put that? Can we really quick put Tombstone on your recommendation list? Because Tombstone, if you haven't seen it with Val Kilmer, I'm your Huckleberry, is one of the best movies ever.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes it is.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're putting that down to Yes, it is the best.
Speaker 3: Val Kilmer at his peak was a man that I was enamored of. I want it is amazing. Yeah, that that combined with real genius. He could do everything he could. He could hear kick cancer.
Speaker 1: Did you see that or read that article in the New York Times about him?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Oh you got I'll send it to you. It's amazing. It's kind of about his whole career and in his life and the different things he's tried to do and stuff. But like he was an actor from Juilliard. He's one of the most talented actors you know, Hollywood's ever seen. But because he was he was method and he was you know like he was he made it difficult for people because he was like when he was Jim Morrison. He was Jim Morrison the whole.
Speaker 3: Time, right, you know, oh that thing where that kind of shit the camera off, you're making everyone uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: Yes, exact clear, exactly. But then they in this article was cool because the woman who wrote it I believe it was a woman. She's kind of going over each role and then you realize, like, oh, yeah, he's unbelievably good, Like she's talking about him plant his character in Top Gun made that movie. Yeah, like because he grounded it and it was so real. But he and he was doing all this stuff, but he wasn't saying anything, and like how you know what a great presence he is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, even and like all the all the different films he did, Willow is good that the first Top Secret is like the for the brothers that made Naked Gun, who are they again? Yep, I forget their name.
Speaker 1: There's like a there's a Z in there, there's a y. Yeah, the ones that made airplane.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The Zeldner, said Zechaszek. Jason sidekis Zucker Brothers.
Speaker 1: Is Zucker brother Goddamn wait sorry, real genius and real genius and top secret are going on.
Speaker 3: Your real genius is going on? My red I wanted to be him. He's cool, he's funny, and then he's also smart in school, which is something I never was but wanted to be. H. Yeah, it's the best. It's the best. I love that movie. There's so many throwaway lines that are great funny lines and it still holds up.
Speaker 1: Wait, were you trying to tell an American outlaw story?
Speaker 3: Oh? I'm sorry, yeah, I uh that's okay.
Speaker 1: I interrupted you.
Speaker 3: No, I went Scotti kon. James Khan's son is into skateboarding. I guess he was a skateboarder. And I was at some event on the Fox lot where that fake street that they have of all the building facades. They had a skate contest, like a street contest there, and uh, and I was there just watching because I used to work there, and he was just watching skateboarding. And I went up to him because I knew this, and I know no one knows this about that movie, but I went, hi, I was an extra American Outlaws. Did you know a horse died? And it still says at the end of the movie no animals were harmed in this. And he looked at me like his father. He looked at me like I was accusing him of a horse murderer. He's like, what, I'm like, you were in American Outlaws, right, He's like, yeah, one day a horse died and I saw it happen and it wasn't And he's like all right, and he just like walked away. I've never felt stupider in my life, but much like you, I feel like I'm on his side in retrospect. Yeah, I mean, it was weird of me to go up and say dead horse to his face.
Speaker 1: It was what did you want him to do?
Speaker 3: He's like, I wanted him to go that's really interesting. My name is Scotty. Do you want to hang out sometime? Is that so much to ask?
Speaker 1: Yes? Too much?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Too much.
Speaker 3: I just wanted him to say, oh, weird, Yeah, I heard about a dead horse one an interesting thing. I'm glad you came up and brought that up. That's all I wanted.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you reminded me of one of my favorite times and one of my saddest times. You seem like a deep skateboarder to me. What's your name? Is that your real hair?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I would have loved to keep going, Karen, I'm imagining Scotty.
Speaker 1: Okay, now I'm Scotty Kahan. Hurry the fuck up, He says that constantly hearted.
Speaker 3: That that's more of what happened.
Speaker 1: Yes, he used to do plays near my old house into Luca Lake, at the Scotti Er James Scotti. He like, I think he either wrote a play or he's in a play. So I saw him like walking to his car a couple times, and I remember like just kind of spotting him and drive not carrying at all and not looking and then going. You like, your lifelong dream as a child was to work and live in Los Angeles and in Hollywood and be in show business. And now you are, and now you have these things around you, and you you're you're so jaded and you're so over it. Like even even Scott CON's not good enough for you. Now, what has happened to you?
Speaker 3: I know I'd like to I think I was just too excited and I seemed weird.
Speaker 1: No, I wasn't only at you. I was saying that about myself. Oh, I was saying that I was that way. Oh, okay, I'm not lecturing you. I think it was very natural of you too. That was your one in what else would you do?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And to be clear, I was standing watching something and looked over and he was inches from me and no one was around him, and it only it seemed like it was okay to start a conversation. But it wasn't. It wasn't.
Speaker 1: I like to imagine it that your eyes were big and white and crazy, like when you were doing an impression of Donald Sutherland earlier. Yeah, and that's what made him go.
Speaker 3: Used to live in Austin, Texas, where that movie was filmed, you know, the one, the Cowboy one.
Speaker 1: And then he's like, wow, you have amazing diction. What's your name?
Speaker 3: Obviously I'm not from Texas, as you can tell by my diction.
Speaker 1: Weird and I both e standardized American accent.
Speaker 3: Clarice's you just keep calling him.
Speaker 1: Clarice's Hey, what's up, Clary's.
Speaker 3: Hello, Clary's You can hear the horses crying and you Claries just three security guard men grabbing me.
Speaker 1: Scott Concerts crying because you called them a girl's name. God damn it.
Speaker 3: You're not allowed to find out how fragile he was.
Speaker 1: He's a playwright and a sensitive soul. Oh, Scotty Scotty, Connie Stuffy Cottie. Oh, I'm just also picturing. It's really funny to just start. Anytime you see friends or family, you just say hello, Clarice, Hello, Ca.
Speaker 3: Why is and are you offended by it? Everyone? I don't. I'm being honest. I don't know what it means, but it's the new boomer or something where people say, yeah, okay, simmer down, Karen, Karen. It's now the go to name for what please.
Speaker 1: Expect for for racist white women, or for basically kind of for like republican white women who act like the world is supposed to be always operating in their benefit at all times. It started with those women who would call the police on black children who were like selling water on the sidewalk, or you know people, those women that kept getting caught on video calling the police because a black family was at a pool, or because they were teenagers standing in a park or whatever, and it was like those videos kept hitting more and more, and then someone started calling those women Karens, and now that's.
Speaker 3: You got it. I loved your name. You don't want that, no, I love it all.
Speaker 1: I love negative, I love positive attention. But I think it's really funny because it is. My name is very much like on the Way Out anyway. It's a very like you were born in the seventies kind of name Karen and Chris.
Speaker 3: Do you how many friends did you have named Karen where it's like Karen number two or people called you kel gaff.
Speaker 1: Or there was like a couple Karens in my school, but then it kind of like faded. I don't meet that many anymore.
Speaker 3: I would be in a group of six friends and chances are half of us would be named Chris. Maybe it's a Northwest trend, but mid.
Speaker 1: Chris was very common. Chris was super common.
Speaker 3: I had so many Chris friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Chris. And Jennifer was the name that everyone had when I was growing up as a girl named.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jennifer is way up there, Yeah Jennifer Chris what I just and I always wanted a nickname. I always experimented, you know, I made my parents call me Scott for about a month until I was tired of it. CJ. My name is Christopher James. I always wanted to be a nickname. CJ is perfect, CJ Fairbanks, It rolls off the tongue, and I never, even though I'm surrounded by other chrises, no one would call me STJ.
Speaker 1: It's because, well, because any any how old were you when you came up with this plan?
Speaker 3: Uh, the honest to call me Scott? I was in kindergarten, so four or five? No?
Speaker 1: No, no, not Scott, but the CJ plan.
Speaker 3: Oh well, that's the other thing. I think. My friend Carl everyone called him CJ, so then there would have been two cjs. So I guess I guess I have Carl to blame.
Speaker 1: But how how old were you? I'm saying, Oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, high school? I wanted to be CJ.
Speaker 1: Especially I think in that that's the prime age where if somebody comes forward with kind of a vulnerable like I've got an idea about how I can really stand out and shine, Oh yeah, it's your friend's job to crush you in that scenario, at least in the time I was growing up, Because it's like, oh, I've picked a new name. Everybody do what I say. It's like, not only will we not do what you say, but you will regret ever exposing a hope or dream to us.
Speaker 3: Yeah it's over. Yeah, Yeah, you can't give yourself the name.
Speaker 1: No, they can't. You can't. You can't act like you can control what other people see you as or how they are going to do anything towards you. You just can't. That's a very child, a.
Speaker 3: Child of respect that people just called me, Chris. Yeah, maybe that's in retrospect. I'm going to call you what your parents called you, because you know why, you're a stand up guy.
Speaker 1: Because your father's a good man and your mother is a strong and dedicated person.
Speaker 3: And my friend Chris Lamb, everyone called him Slammer, or they called him swanny. I don't want to tell you why they called him swanny. It's because he had a big penis and they saw in gym class and Ian Lovely said it looked like a swan's neck, it was so big, So they called him swanny. What if you had a nickname that also was an advertisement? That's all I wanted.
Speaker 1: That's a great Sorry, It's way better than c J. That's amazing.
Speaker 3: Calling me big Dick CJ. C J.
Speaker 1: Dickerson anything everybody I take on.
Speaker 3: I'd say, called Christopher Richards and I'd take anything any version of dick.
Speaker 1: Now, Swanny is an amazing Separate from the amazing compliment and congratulations to Swanny because isn't nice for him.
Speaker 3: But ever appreciated it to this day.
Speaker 1: He didn't like it. No, self conscious.
Speaker 3: I don't want people to know I have this giant hangar.
Speaker 1: What's the problem. I don't make problems where there aren't problems. Swanny exactly got it made in the shade.
Speaker 3: Swanni, come on, swan Man, come on.
Speaker 1: But that name, separate from the reason, is a great nick Swannye, yeah, yeah, it is.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 1: They had nicknames in my high school because there was My high school was all bullies. That was like almost required, and everyone had the bully everybody and the boys especially They would make up nicknames. And you're like, I don't know, I don't want to know why you're calling him that every single person had a nickname, like they called people. There was some one guy they called Juice and like they only I only ever heard his name is Juice. And then years later my sister said she was somewhere and they're like, yeah, you know Mark, you know Mark, because they're all like at that point thirty five or forty, and she's like, I don't know who you're talking about. And then finally someone else is like, Laura, it's Juice and she's like, oh, yeah, yeah, Juice, I know Juice. Like it was like that, like insane. You would get your nickname, you know, the fourth month of freshman year, and that's all you were called for the rest of school.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think you had to play football or something. There was a kid, Ryan Salisbury in my school. They called him Sauce and I thought, Sauce, catch it, Sauce. I'm like, wow, why is no one calling me so because I'm not catching any balls. Yep.
Speaker 1: You can't just pick other people to nickname.
Speaker 3: I swear. I tried to get him started. I'm like, hey, when we go by this group of people in the hallway, do you mind just calling me CJ? And no one would do it. Damn it.
Speaker 1: They were like, we gotta kick this guy out of our group of friends.
Speaker 3: I guess I'm so nerdy, just another Chris.
Speaker 1: Could you call me CJ? For just a little while. Everyone's like, well, since you're asking, no, the answer is a firm no. Maybe one day, could you call me Swany too? No, No, Swanny too.
Speaker 3: Swany part two?
Speaker 1: Please could you call me Swanny too? Electric Bugaloo. It'll take a long time, but it'll be so worth it in terms of.
Speaker 3: Social calling, Swanny too. Call in Revenge of the Goose, call me gooseman. Please call me goose man. I'll show it to you.
Speaker 1: I'll show it to you and Jim.
Speaker 3: If you just call me goose goose which bring us brings us right back to val Kilmer.
Speaker 1: Well, sorry, we have to put electric break into Electric Boogloo on your list.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there, that's number one. We watched it over and over our senior year. Everyone does some performance in the auditorium for the entire school, and Ross, the guy that I went to look at the dump truck for, and Andy and I, uh, we put together a breakdance performance along to Sea Is for Cookie by Cookie Monster. Oh, and we actually Ross learned he was like doing he did like a gymnastics move, and mostly we were spinning. But I learned the diving worm like we practice, we rehearsed, we put more effort into this performance than anything. And then when we did it for the whole school at the end, and I guess this is why we chose see it's for cookie. At the end, we threw cookies into the audience, but they they were backlit because the lights were all on stage and the auditorium was dark. So we were just pelting children. I think our principal got a cookie like in the forehead. We were hitting. We got in trouble. We've won the competition, by the way, but then we had to stay after school and clean all these cookies.
Speaker 1: So they were just loose cookies. They weren't like it wasn't like here's a little bag of cookies.
Speaker 3: We cracked open a sleeve and tossed them like frisbees. We were belting them. We should have done more of a rainbow throw. We were throwing them like throwing stars. We just got we were nerves.
Speaker 1: You're excited. Yeah. There had a lot of energy, a lout of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. And after that bug, after.
Speaker 1: After that performance, you didn't go could you call me the worm? Did you see me do the worm? I'm gonna be the worm?
Speaker 3: Please? What if I show you my pain is well, oh no that I don't know. No, please stop calling me the worm. I know I asked, I know, I asked you too.
Speaker 1: I swear this is the last nickname request I'm gonna submit. Your friends are just like, please stop talking to us.
Speaker 3: No, we're not gonna call you captain, big worm. Captain, how about captain? Take off that hat.
Speaker 1: No you're not a captain. Please, this is stolen valor. We did a when I was a junior, Me and Michelle Knowles and Christina Davis did a dance to the song Our Love Is Chemical, which was in the movie Nine and a half Weeks. We made it up. It was for the talent show and we it was such a hit and I don't know why. I don't know why. It was just really good. I think we just did really good moves and we were it was kind of cool and the song was cool and it was like this like Harack kind of thing at the end. It was so exciting, and then my sister goes. Dad's mad. He thought that dance was dirty.
Speaker 3: It's ruined everything.
Speaker 1: It was like two because we were doing you know kind of it was, you know, nineteen eighty seven. I think, so it's gyrations and stuff like that. He did not approve. He did not like it at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I haven't stopped to think if my parents were in the audience. Now I'm embarrassed.
Speaker 1: Were your parents in the audience.
Speaker 3: That's not how we taught you. What's that?
Speaker 1: Was there a beat under cus for cookie or were you being like funny?
Speaker 3: We were trying really hard to be funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but you'd won. We were on the way. You were right.
Speaker 3: They I think they were like, wait a minute, they actually all learned to break dance. I still pull out those moves to this day.
Speaker 1: Oh, Chris, I stole your bid on. We did a miniesot. We recorded a miniesod for my favorite murder and Stephen what was the word it was? Georgia said something and then it remin Oh it was something about pot remember, and then it was like the leg I started doing the Zion bit and then I'm like, oh shit, I'm stealing. This is a bit from Chris Fairbanks from You Need to Rydal But I had to give you credit.
Speaker 3: And my special, I mean I almost called my comedy special Mount Zion, but I think it would be triggering for people. Uh it was, But yeah, legalize it. God, I shouldn't get like that. I wish that we had this conversation a year ago.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: But in conclusion, I mean, we're we're doing. I am that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, We're done.
Speaker 3: That special will be on Amazon in about a week and a half.
Speaker 1: Is that true? Chris? Okay, what's the name? What name did you land on?
Speaker 3: Well? I know that you had maybe didn't think it was the best, but it is a Once you see the opening and and the packaging of it, it'll be it's just a nonsense. It's called Rescue Cactus.
Speaker 1: Rescue Cactus.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's just a silly name. Yeah. I thought about it's going to be called bad timing, and then I thought that was maybe negative. Yeah yeah, like wait, I timing is all I have bad writing, but I'm not gonna call it that. So it's called Rescue pat And it looks it looks good on the poster, and it makes sense after you watch the special. Most names of specials, you have to watch it and then you're like, oh, that's why it was called that.
Speaker 1: Well, and as long as we get the name out to our listeners, who will then tell five loved ones or friends the same name and then everyone will watch it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll make it, yeah officially once we're but it is finished. The edit was finished today and the color correction and the subtitles and all that fun stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't wait. You have to definitely please text Steven that information about like where it's premiering and the name and everything, so that we remember to say it on my favorite murder. Oh that'll be amazing, so many more people hear it.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Karen, and I mean and a it's this lady way. Oh you're such a Karen, I mean my friend.
Speaker 1: Thanks Karen, Thanks Karen, your name.
Speaker 3: We were talking about the names of specials. We were talking about cactus. We're talking about bad timing. We're talking about legalize.
Speaker 1: Legalize it whatever it was, it wasn't worth it. LegalZoom dot com, legal zoom dot com. All right, are we done?
Speaker 3: I got it.
Speaker 1: There's nine movie recommendations. I don't know what more people want from you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, get to watching Misery.
Speaker 1: Misery is number one. Oh. I put the movie Magic as number two, even though I didn't say it out loud, and I don't know why. It's like I want to remind myself to watch the movie Magic. Because it's about a demon ventriloquist dummy from and Anthony Hopkins is the star.
Speaker 3: I'm watching them. You never seen me?
Speaker 1: Hang up, it's really it's good. It's from the seventies. It's creepy. It's like all the things you need as a creepy movie.
Speaker 3: Did you say Hopkins are Hopper? Dennis Hoppin, Anthony.
Speaker 1: Hopkins, Anthony Hopkins?
Speaker 3: Oh, Hopkins and Hopper? Did they ever do it?
Speaker 1: Hello? Hello Clarice, Oh hello, k that's what made me put it on there. That's what we think of it.
Speaker 3: Quizmed, I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty shirt's Anthony Hopkins almost positive, Yeah, because the doll looks like him. Very disturbing. Yeah right, it's totally sun sundown like so good.
Speaker 3: Did you see you bound that day? Is that what you were saying?
Speaker 1: Mayor me or meor meor meir me or me or me or meor maor meer another great, let's put that on. Gord's Gold is number ten on the recommendation list.
Speaker 3: You guys have a busy, busy weekend.
Speaker 1: We go totally off the movie list and.
Speaker 3: To plug with you, Karen, No, I.
Speaker 1: Don't think so well. Oh that's what I was going to say is because you and I talked about your the name of your special, which again is Rescue Cactus. But for a little while I was arguing for bad timing. But I was going to say, don't listen to me because and I don't think I told you the story last time. But when they were naming Mister Show, David was it was one night we were at a live show we were all doing together, and David was going around and taking a poll of all of his friends and saying, what do you think we should name this show? Should we name it Mister Show or Grand National Championships? And I was like, it has to be Grand National Championships. Obviously that's the way better name. It's such a good name. And he's like okay, And then of course they didn't and clearly mister Show is a way better name. But like I was so sure, I was positive it needed to be Grand National Championships.
Speaker 3: I was going to it's just clung if it's a lot of words, I wanted it to be at least one word, if not two, And I for a while it was going to be emotional support comedian because I thought, oh, people will click on that because those are trending words or what you know, it's you can think about it forever and need I mentioned, but we did a sketch show in Austin called The hyper Jackson Chamber, which we thought was amazing, and then after a while I'm like, oh, so many words. You know. Yeah, mister show is like elbow. It's a linguist would suggest it.
Speaker 1: It's simple, clean, small compact, travel size.
Speaker 3: Sharp, constantine, clariss a cellar door.
Speaker 1: It's it's the cellar door.
Speaker 3: It's a vowel with peaks and valleys.
Speaker 1: And also, no one really gives a shit about the title. You're right, it's likely they need to know how to find you. Half the time they'll be searching by your name anyway. But Rescue Cactus, Rescue Cactus. Just everybody remember Amazon Rescue Cactus.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Carrien. Yeah, you're welcome.
Speaker 1: And you're welcome.
Speaker 3: To put in questions for future episodes. Oh yes, let's do the fun.
Speaker 1: So and our logic here is we found out that our numbers go way up when you guys get to ask us questions that we answer, which we should also think of other ways people can participate that way, so that they feel engaged. And it's not just us remembering things and telling them to.
Speaker 3: Their movies for them to watch later.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly. So yeah, if you have questions or you know, and it's not you know, we've done lots of Q and A. You can ask us anything anything you want, or talk or bring up anything you want and have us talk about it or whatever. It doesn't have to be like a probing what was it like when you were eleven? It can just truly be like, what's your favorite type of couch? And I will tell you a fucking leather sectional and all that fast and see do you see why the number skyrocket this kind of back and forth podcast.
Speaker 3: That that interactions like that, I'll take us to the top of the church.
Speaker 1: Look out, Hey, guess what, CJ, You and me are going to the top of the charts. Karen and CJ making it great. So write in your questions call me goose neck. Wait, sorry, do we write am in? Steve and everyone knows how to do it at this point, right, Yeah, I think we'll have J make a social post and you can just comment on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Awesome, perfect, thank you, thank you all right?
Speaker 3: Great? Sorry, Chris you've been listening to Do you need a ride? My name is CJ. Swannee bear Pangs.
Speaker 1: E y N d U I n A.
Speaker 3: I leave.
Speaker 1: Way back home.
Speaker 2: Either way we want to be there. Doesn't matter how much baggage you claim and give us time and a terminol and gay. We want to send you off instart.
Speaker 1: We want to welcome you back home. Tell us all about it.
Speaker 3: We scared her?
Speaker 1: Was it fine? Melbourne?
Speaker 3: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 3: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride? Do you ride?
Speaker 2: Do you need.
Speaker 3: A little Peter with Karen and Chriss