Speaker 1: Cool Zone Media, Hello, and welcome to Cool People Did Cool Stuff, your weekly reminder that people fight against the bad things sometimes. I'm your host, murder Kiljoy. Am, I guess this week is Matt Leeb.
Speaker 2: I'mt leb Hi. I'm sorry. I'm just finishing a quick snack. I had some Trader Joe's hummus, and uh, you know, in celebration of US talking about Palestine, I had some traditional Trader Joe's Mediterranean style hummus.
Speaker 1: I am, you're not a tomato joke or anything like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, Israel invented the cherry tomato and Trader Joe's Mediterranean style hummus.
Speaker 1: Well, Trader Joe's invented hummus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. They were the first ones to do it. Yes, very delicious. People talk a lot of shit on Trader Joe's. You know, well, I guess I don't know if people talk shit about Trader Joe's. I feel like someone would.
Speaker 1: It's the cheap food that still tastes good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's wonderful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ignore all those recalls, Yeah, exactly, it's fine.
Speaker 2: The recalls are just you know what that is, that's just haters hating.
Speaker 1: See I used to get excited about the recalls because I lived off of dumpster food, and so whenever there was a recall, I was like. I'd always be like, why are there so why is there so much lettuce in the trash this week? And you're like, oh, because there's a recall because there's abreak kill whatever put that had irregular lettuce in my mouth. Yeah, That's what I did and I survived. So therefore it is a good and healthy idea to eat only trash for you out the trash. Yeah, Well to do the rest of the introductions that I didn't do last time. Our producer is Sophie Lichtermann Hy Sophie. Our editor is Daniel Hi Daniel dan All. Our theme music was written for us by Unwoman. This is part two and a two parter about early Palestinian resistance, Palestinian resistance to pre Israel, Palestinian resistance to the Ottoman Empire, which we talked about last time, and did the British Mandate and the Zionist Project, which is what we were talking about this time. Hell yeah, and where we last left. The Palestinian resistance had a pretty lackluster nineteen twenties. The powers that be within Palestine were like, oh, what if we asked the British nicely, that works for people, right, And everyone was like, I don't think it works, but we're also really worn down and poor, so we don't have any better ideas until nineteen twenty nine when you run into the single event. I have had the hardest time finding what feels like objective sources about Oh. Ever, in my research for this show, yeah you heard the Eid Albarock uprising.
Speaker 2: You know, I feel like I probably heard it in an audio book once, fair enough, but I don't know. I don't think I know much about it.
Speaker 1: So by some sources you could say some mean old Muslims were mad that Jews were praying, so they tried to program them and then the Jews fought back with the help of the British.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that sounds like the correct source. Go on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So there's this holy place in Jerusalem called Albarock, which is with the Jews called the Western Wall, and it was traditionally is the Muslim holy place that Jews were specifically allowed to pray at. Like historically, there's a long standing tradition Jews are allowed to come prey here, but it is a Muslim thing set up into this like Muslim infrastructure, so you can't set up any furniture here, can't make this place your place. So the Zionist Jews started setting up furniture and this is outside and they're setting it up and maybe it's temporary, and a lot of the Muslims are like, I think you're trying to occupy the place, and so they were like, could you please take it down? And they went to the British and they were like, hey, help us sort this out. And the British took ten months to rule on this, and finally they were like, yeah, sorry Zionists, we hate saying anything bad about you, but this really is a Muslim place of prayer. You probably shouldn't set up permanent thing or like, you know, put your stuff here. You got to take your stuff down. But the British didn't enforce their own ruling. Zionist Jews held a big protest about it. Muslim folks did two and then things got really violent and it wasn't really about the specific prayer wall, not for either side. As best as I can tell, this was an explosion of anger at the Zionist project that was displacing Arabs across the country, and it was a reflection of the growing awareness that the Zionist plan was to conquer the entire country, and it was that was the Zionist plan. It's still the Zionist plan.
Speaker 2: What. Yeah, I don't know where you're getting your information, but I was from the Zionists. Yeah, I was told specifically. I don't know what Zionists you're reading, but the all Desionists I know say that the whole point of the Zionist's plan is peace. So oh, okay, sounds so yeah, sounds like you're wrong and lying.
Speaker 1: However, I understand why you can perceive what happened as a program because there was a lot of violence directed at the Zionist settlers and killed a fuck ton of people. And so for the Zionist Jews, this uprising was a little bit less about the prayer and more about self defense because many of them are being killed. It's about a week long. About one hundred and thirty three Jews were killed during the uprising, while one hundred and sixteen Arabs were killed. The Jews were mostly killed by Arab groups and the latter were mostly killed by British security forces or depending on what I'm reading, a lot of the Arabs were killed by Jewish settlers, and sometimes I think the sources that claim that are actually the Zionis sources, because I think it's about trying to be like, hey, we fought back successfully, right, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's hard to tell. It's hard to tell. It depends who you're reading, it depends who the intended audience is.
Speaker 1: And yeah, after a week long uprising, the British arrested and punished mostly Palestinians. Everything I've read about this feels biased, is fuck in one direction to the other. And I have not personally found a source about this particular thing that feels trustworthy, which is not to say the historians kind of biases. I absolutely biases right, and still write well about a subject. But this particular event wasn't covered in detail by either of the Palestinian storians I read in depth. So I just read a fuck ton of different essays because all of the books were like because actually what's interesting for Palestinian resistance point of view is actually what comes in the wake of this, or people didn't want to talk about that part because it sounds bad when you run around and kill a bunch of armed civilians. Yes, fucking no.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The aftermath I have a better handle on because I found better writing on it. The uprising really set the Palestinians to the task of figuring out how the fuck to get free, and a lot of people developed a lot of different ideas about how to do that, and they started doing it and working towards it. Not the most important, but I'm going to start with it because they have the coolest names, and they're weird and violent and I don't know whatever the minority position and how to do this, but an important one was a violence that was a way in which people tried to figure out how to get free. You call violent direct action or terrorism. Yeah, And first you have the Green Hand gang.
Speaker 2: Cool name is a.
Speaker 1: Fucking good name for a gang.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And they basically just ambushed there's like, I think maybe twenty or thirty of them or something, and they just ambushed settlers and cops and killed them starting in nineteen twenty nine.
Speaker 2: Damn, that's great. It did not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were just like, all right, we're just doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I canna just kill some people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's interesting because it's like I don't want to too hard go into the morality of this, but there is a difference between that guy just stole my house. I can see him. That is my house. I was living there two weeks ago. Like, I mean, there is like interesting questions around, like at what point is it like, well, now I grew up in this house, and my grandfather grew up in this house, but my grandfather stole from your grandfather. You know, those those are interesting questions that I am not in a position to answer since I am a white person living in North America, and if you back, I am absolutely culpable as a settler.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I don't know. I don't fucking know. Yeah, it's it is, you know, it's it's hard to know whether or not. I mean, I don't know. On the one hand, yes, of course, you know, there's the idea of just because time passes does not mean that, you know, you're.
Speaker 1: The land should go back to the indigenous people in North America. No part of me thinks otherwise for that kind of right, Yeah, whether or not like kill me to take.
Speaker 2: Right exactly, whether or not the violent resistance of the you know, ancestors of ancestors of ancestors of people, you know, And to me, this is, you know, one of those like indigenous struggles that I see as like, there's no reason to not look at it from a perspective of just being an indigenous struggle and not this like theoretical, you know, dissertation on what exactly makes someone indigenous. And it's like, I don't know if I if I can trace with my own eyes the settler colonial nature of this particular thing. And someone is literally holding the key to the house that they no longer live in, It's like, well, that's clear, at very least it's clear. I'm not totally you know, you know, advocating or supporting the you know, violence that necessarily, you know, will befall people when there is an uprising, But I am saying that I don't know how you could look at it as any other thing than that totally.
Speaker 1: And so by nineteen thirty, the Green Hand gang goes down, they're all dead or in jail. But what do you do when the green Hand gang goes down? Well, I'm glad you asked you start the black hand.
Speaker 2: All right. We're doing a new hand, all right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just new hand, new Color. Yeah, New Day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you like this?
Speaker 1: Even cooler name but less original? Since a Serbian nationalist group of the same names. You know, I was gonna started World War One. I was going to say, I'm pretty sure I heard of the Black Hand. I also think I know the Black Hand from Godfather too, Okay, And that was the that was the guy who used to run Vito.
Speaker 2: Corleoni's neighborhood before he uh, before Vito Corleoni killed him in that hallway with that gun. It was like, who's that? And it's like, that's, you know, the Dawn the Black Hand. So there's a lot of different black Hands out there, but yeah, you know this one's cool. If you're the Black Hand, you probably kill people. I mean what else? I mean it's a cool ass name for a gang. Is that you know there's a black Hand? Here's my app fuck off?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I run a library.
Speaker 2: I mean that's cool. Yeah. Better Yeah, killing people library, library of weapons you used to do murder?
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, that should be available.
Speaker 2: So yeah, we got to find one of those.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so this black Hand is it isn't a different language and whatever. You can't own a name as cool as a black Hand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I had trouble finding detailed sources on either of the Colored Hand crews in English, and so I might return to these folks more as I learned more about them. But I know a little bit more about the Black Hand. Basically, there was this guy named iz al Din al kasm and he'd cut his teeth supporting Libyan resistance to the Italians, then fought the French occupation in Syria, and then he went over to Palestine to help fight the British.
Speaker 2: Okay, so he's just the coolest motherfucker who ever existed.
Speaker 1: Go on, Yeah, and he's a tinerant preacher, and he's just going around the country as a muzzllem my tinerant preacher, and he's saying, we should probably use violence to resist our entire country being stolen from under our feet. Yeah, hell, yeah, started a bunch of groups with which to do that. The most famous, or at least the one that people had the coolest names got into the books I was reading was the Black Hand, which was formed in nineteen thirty or nineteen thirty five, who fucking knows.
Speaker 2: I read them nineteen thirty three.
Speaker 1: Have yeah, April nineteen thirty three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: And they had some internal divisions right away within the Black Hand or within these larger collections of groups that are trying to do this violent resistance. Some folks are like, all right, well, let's just immediately attack settlers, like kind of a green Hand kind of attitude, you know, and others are like, no, we should get ready first and have a coordinated action and the settlement of Palestine.
Speaker 2: Here we go. Meetings.
Speaker 1: I know, there's the pro meeting and the pro immediate murder plans. Yeah, valid points. Yeah, both obviously have their pros and cons. But yeah, meetings, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think I'd rather just get just go straight to the murder than have another processing session. Kil I'm kidding.
Speaker 1: By nineteen thirty five, which is either their fifth year or their very beginning, who knows, they had between two hundred and eight hundred fighters, and they were offering military trainings for peasants as they went around, and they would just raid Zionus settlements and kill people.
Speaker 2: In bombshit Oh shit crazy.
Speaker 1: Alcasm himself died in a gun battle with British police after being surrounded in a cave in nineteen thirty five. Yeah, His funeral was attended by five thousand people, and so the British soldiers shot into the crowd at the funeral.
Speaker 2: Oh this is al Cassom. This is oh shit, Oh.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, you know more about this guy?
Speaker 2: No, I know that this is a huge figure within the Palestinian resistance, like legend and narrative. Yeah, like this is you know, like, yeah, this is the fucking the patron saint of Palestinian resistance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's got to be a book in English about him, and I just haven't found it yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the book in English about it is Wikipedia, as far as I know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got the like through the like. I've read like maybe like six articles about him, but it's that thing where one of the articles will have slightly more information, but then five of the other articles have different information. And yeah, but anyway, his death is going to help spark the uprising of nineteen thirty six, and yeah, a lot of people basically are specifically following in his footsteps as a specific thing. Yeah, you absolutely live on as a martyr, but we're not yet. It's nineteen thirty six. I want to talk about some of the other ways that Palestinians resisted. It seems like there was three prongs of it then and probably still And I mean these are kind of just the three ways he resists shit.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: There was armed resistance largely by secretive groups. There was popular struggle organized from the bottom up that used a comparatively nonviolent strategy but was not pacifist. And that's the kind of thing that you see reflected a lot and like, especially like the First Antifada and stuff like that. Right, And then they're legalistic approaches that relied on pressuring both the power structures like the British government, as well as raising popular awareness around the world. It probably takes all three of these to get anything done. And my personal bias tends to be towards the popular struggle to kind of thing. But the lines between these approaches are often blurred, which is good. People should do it as ethical and strategic in any given situation, rather than assuming that one is the right one always.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: In November nineteen twenty nine, there was an Arab village conference in Jaffa offering ideas about how to avoid the bankruptcy of farmers through agricultural credit unions and shit like that. Student groups met and started organizing. A national fund was set up to help farmers who lost their land to settlements. But there's like this heartbreaking thing. I read a lot of ins and outs about this national fund and how hard they work, traveling across the country'd raise all this money, and by the end they raised like, you know, almost a million dollars after like a year hard work or whatever. And then it's like and then some South African heiress gave the Jewish Zionist Fund four million dollars. Yeah, the day that they announced that they had gotten a million dollars at the right one.
Speaker 2: Yes, every every time, and there's god fucking damn it, all right, let's have another bake sale. Yeah, but no matter how many bake sales you do. And they were, you know, in terms of they were doing impressive fundraising for what they could get. But yeah, not not nearly as good as the one South African heiress who were random British patron who's just like going to give them five times the amount of money.
Speaker 1: Totally. But like fucking like the resistance during this period, and I mean during all of everything, but during this period it was just so stark what they were fighting against like that we're going to fight the British Empire, you know, as this like starving barely existent, like because we just got free from the Ottoman's place, you know. And yeah, that they're able to do all of this level of organizing is amazing. Like everything I read is like, oh and this thing we could have done better, we could have done this better or whatever. But like they did amazing shit with what they had. In this period past nineteen twenty nine, women started stepping up in a major way. Take the story of Mattiomogenum, who was a Palestinian Christian woman who was born in Lebanon in eighteen ninety nine. Her family moved to New York City when she was a kid, and then her and her husband moved back to Palestine in the nineteen twenties, and so she does a lot of the English language work that is going to happen during this time period to try and get the word out and things like that. She worked with another woman, a Muslim Palestinian woman named Terab Abd al Hadi, to form the first Palestinian Arab Women's Congress in nineteen twenty nine. And this group splints off into like just a ton of different women's organizings groups, and I would actually have to go back and do like a two parter or just on them, which I might eat because they're really interesting in order to get into all the ins and outs of all the groups they form. But they're related to each other, almost all the women's organizing that's happening at this time. And they two, the two of these women would do things like have They'd be like, oh, a Christian woman should present to the Muslim group, and a Muslim woman present to the Christian group, and it ruled. They kept doing this like this was still a part of all of the organizing. Soon more than two hundred Palestinian women were part of the Palestinian Arab Women's Congress, supporting the Palestinian National Congress and its demands to end the Balfour Declaration and Jewish immigration and create an actually democratic government and things like that. And they did all kinds of organizing. They brought grievances to the British government. They organized letter writing campaigns, but they organized letter writing campaigns to foreign press, which like actually does something. Sometimes letter writing campaigns work, but like, let's be real, usually not right.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you know, in my dad's head, nothing works better than writing a letter. My dad has written so many letters or just anything, not just like you know, serious stuff like you know, getting you know, the prescription drug medication lower you know, in price, but like trying to get a show uncanceled on television. He's a big believer in the you know, write a letter.
Speaker 1: Buffy the Vampire Slayer didn't it?
Speaker 2: Did it? Oh? I didn't know that? Good for Buffy.
Speaker 1: I have this, I have this vague memory from the nineties of Buffy pe canceled after.
Speaker 2: One campaign to get Buffy.
Speaker 1: Back, something like that. I don't know. If you're a big Buffy fan and I'm wrong, don't tell me. Yeah, can we tell in this world in which that happened, I would have that exactly. And so they kind of create the first Foreign Press Office for Palestine because Palestine was distinctly lacking in state apparatus, because the Paris state that existed from the British was controlled by the Zionists already at this point. The women also organized a demonstrations, like at one point, one hundred and twenty cars of women drove around Jerusalem, stopping at all the foreign consulates to hand out leaflets despite being told in no uncertain terms that they were not allowed to do this, and they were like, yeah, we're gonna We're gonna do it anyway though, We're.
Speaker 2: Still gonna do it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Mattel was basically in charge of the English language work of the Women's Congress, writing telegrams to the Queen of England and shit like that. The Women's Congress also developed silent protests as a tactic, one that carries on to this day to the group Women in Black. There's not necessarily a direct lineage here, but it's like coming from the well around the same issues, just with sixty years break.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: They also started a school, They formed prisoner support groups, raising funds so that the families of incarcerated activists wouldn't starve, and they got at least three political prisoners freed from the British authorities through public pressure campaigns that might have been letter writing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, possibly.
Speaker 1: They were cool as shit. They were all so actively feminist. I spent a while in this rabbit hole this week, right, and there was you know, someone like social media posts about some of the more interesting radical women fighting in Palestine during this time, and then you'll have this like pro patriarchal, like Muslim man being like, stop calling these women feminists. You're just bringing your Western values, and then all these like Muslim women or like shut the fuck up what he was talking about, you know, dude. And so I like, I went into this research being like, oh, I should be real careful about this. They a lot of their splinter groups had names like feminist group and things like that.
Speaker 2: So there we go.
Speaker 1: And I don't know whether the Women's Congress itself or at least some of these splinter groups, including a lot of these founders that I'm talking about, protested the mandatory wearing of veils. And it's worth pointing out because they're often flattened as like women's auxiliary of a men's movement and as if are not concerned with the rights of women in their society, and that is not the case. Mattel wrote books about women's liberation in Palestine, saying that a local Palestinian government would be essential for justice for women. She herself survived the Knakba, the ethnic cleansing of Palestine's gonna happen in nineteen forty eight. Her story drops away after that mostly, but we know she lived a fairly long time. She moved to the US in nineteen eighty and she died in Virginia in nineteen ninety two. One of the other groups that seemed to grow out of the Women's Congress has a name that's usually translated to the Chrysanthemum Flowers. And this is the like, this is what the Instagram post was about.
Speaker 2: This is the like.
Speaker 1: Instagram post worthy group. They rule, don't get me wrong, And I want to find a book about them in English. I found so many contradictory sources about this. Nothing ever more contradictory than these things. Rat all o'khawan is the Chrysanthemum Flowers. They were formed in nineteen thirty three or nineteen thirty six or nineteen forty seven.
Speaker 2: Oh man, okay, all right, no, seven thirty three. I can't do that math, so let's call it.
Speaker 1: I think. I think it was nineteen thirties, or maybe in nineteen thirty six. That felt like the most legit source. I think nineteen forty seven they became an armed group, because at some point they become an armed group. And this is why people like them. As if you find pictures of women with guns and a revolution. People get really excited about that, including my secture.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's dope ass picture. Yeah.
Speaker 1: This group Chrysanthemum Flowers was formed by two sisters, one of whom people tend to agree was named Moheba Kurshid. The other might have been named Naraman Khurshid or Arabia Kurshid. Lots of sources say each Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean when it comes to names, this is where you know, you know Al Cassam, I you know know Al Casam, but it's the full name where I think it was just the first two names. I was like, I don't know this, and you know they.
Speaker 1: It's my pronunciations.
Speaker 2: It's the pronunciation, and it's also the nicknames. They all have cool nicknames too that are sometimes in there. Sometimes it says also where they're from, long Home.
Speaker 1: It's a good point.
Speaker 2: What can you do?
Speaker 1: And there's transliteration happening like it's actually I'm not sure, aw woe is me about this? It's it's literally just a problem of the format of the show where I have a week to research everything because I'm like, well, it makes it hard to to google them, right, because they have a million different spellings of the transliterations and things like this. But you know, when language barrier is a major issue. One of the stories I read was basically like understandably being like, yeah, if you read historians who don't speak Arabic, they won't get this right because all of the sources are in Arabic. And I'm like, yes, to be clear, I'm not a historian. I am a pop historian who yes, tells stories. I am a storyteller, yes, And I am a guest on podcasts. Yeah, so you are expected to know all of it.
Speaker 2: Never listen to me. Yeah, except if I'm on my podcast. Listen to me then, But you.
Speaker 1: Know, what is my job? I also failed at was doing an ad break earlier. So now you're going to get it now. Oh all right, just ad break right now. And Rebecca so Mohiba was a school teacher in Jaffa, a city to the south of Tel Aviv that is now considered part of tel Aviv. And I suspect that that's not a great thing that is considered part of tel Aviv, because Jaffa seemed to be the kind of cultural center of a lot of the Palestinian world. She advocates for women's rights in education. She was part of the Arab Women's Association. Her and her sister formed the Chrysanthemum Flowers, a word that I have spelled differently every single time I've written into this script, even though it is an English language word. And at some point they formed this and it started as a mutual aid organization. It did allow the work of what we've been talking about earlier. It provided relief to families who were displaced by settlement. It also provided funds for women to go to school and get education, which is fucking cool. Yeah, they worked very actively for religious unity, as basically did everyone during this time period, during this chunk of time, that's what they're doing with this organization mutual aid. Later they're going to move into arms struggle. They're going to be the first all women military unit in the region. They become an armed organization after Mohibo watched a young boy assassinated in his mother's arms by a Zionist sniper. That was probably the nineteen forty seventh thing. It might have been nineteen forty eight when that happened. This unit fought in the defense of Jaffa during the Nakba in nineteen forty eight, and they're sick photos of them with like I think, old timy submachine guns. And I'm not covering the Nakba, but just to follow Moheba's story, like nearly all of one hundred and twenty thousand inhabitants of Jaffa, she was ethnically cleansed. Every account I've seen says that they were literally driven into the sea. You can find photos of this. They had to flee on boats and scores of people drowned.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know that whole, Like every single thing that the Zionists claim that Palestinians want to do to the Jews, you just slowly find them having done.
Speaker 2: Having done them during the Nakba and or recently. Yeah, the whole. Every accusation is a confession thing. Yeah, that bears out to be true so often that I'm like, guys, just stop accusing, because I'm just going to research it. I'm just gonna google it, and it's gonna be a thing you did. Just stop accusing.
Speaker 1: Where'd you get that idea driving into the sea? He would do such a thing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you wouldn't want Yeah, oh, here they are driving people into the sea and not even It's funny because like that that phrase. I've always I don't know, I've always been like that's a hyperbole or it's metaphor you know exactly. I didn't literally think you could drive people into the sea. Yeah, that is a thing that happened, apparently. I like all of the like really.
Speaker 1: Quick versions of the chrysanthemum flower and then like are like and then she was driven into the sea. But then it is like literally and they always put that in there, and so I'm like, so then I spent a while researching about that, even tho. I again, this isn't a knock episode or so about the fall of Jaffa and scores of people drowned and they had to flee on boats to other countries. And I think only a few thousand people were able to stay in Jaffa during this ethnic cleansing. Yea, And now it's part of Tel Aviv fun.
Speaker 2: Let's all go dancing.
Speaker 1: But the chrysanthemum flowers are at as hell. I can't wait to one day tell you out more about them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Back to the early nineteen thirties, there were also a whole bunch of various political parties cropping up which promoted not cooperating with the British system, resistance desionism, and creating a pan Arab alliance. So it's basically it's like the thing that happened in the wake of this nineteen twenty nine uprising is that Palestinian started really organizing and trying all of the different strategies legal popular revolt and I don't know what if a grenade solves my problems. Yeah, And in nineteen thirty three, two separate assemblies of over five hundred people started developing plans for nonviolent, non cooperation models for an independence movement. Nonviolent marchers were getting shot dead by cops in the streets. Twelve people killed one of these demonstrations on October thirteenth, nineteen thirty three, and twenty four killed or sixteen killed and two hundred and four people were injured. On October twenty seventh. Some of the protests against land sales were working, but only the protests that happened when they were aimed at Arabs who were going to sell the land, not already sold land. The Zionists were not fucking back and down. Yeah, there is some reason to hope during this period the intentional demographic takeover of Palestine by Zionists, it starts stalling out because I don't know if you knew this, most Jews not Zionists.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, as it was like a you know, it was a thing you could be into if you had a particularly adventurous spirit and you were like, hey, you know what would be fun to uproots intentionally you moved to a place in which we don't know the language or the culture, and you know, it hates me and everyone hates me. It's you know, and if you're a European Jew around this time, you're like, you know what, that actually doesn't seem like that bad of an idea We'll go to based on how things are going here. Yeah. But yeah, this idea of you know, again, of all Jews being inherently Zionist is a complete falsehood.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: By nineteen twenty six, after years of these policies, seventeen percent of the Palestinian population was Jewish. By nineteen thirty two, it had raised all the way to eighteen point five percent. So it got that one point five bump. Yeah, until boy Who's going to stomp onto the world stage and fuck everything up for everyone? In nineteen thirty three, something happened.
Speaker 2: You know his name, Charlie Chaplin. That's right, he's gonna waddle into the room with his bendel and his Joe mustache and his mustache, and he's gonna fuck every ye.
Speaker 1: Good politics and bad feminism.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: In nineteen thirty three, something happened that History podcast never talk about the rise of Nazi Germany since the UK and the US and all these other places were like, well we don't want you something an awful lot of Jewish people, for very understandable reasons, We're like, well, maybe Zionism isn't so bad after all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, kind of the only option at the point at which people were moving there in droves.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, the Nazis at this point were quite happy to see the Jews go. At first they were like, well, you can go, but you can't bring your stuff. We want all your stuff. The Jews had been organizing a massive boycott of Nazi goods since nineteen thirty three, and so Zionists were like, hey, well we'll lift the boycott if you let people leave Germany with their stuff. And Nazi Germany was like, all right, y'all can leave Germany and bring your money with you. I guess this agreement was called the Transfer Agreement, and it was not uncontroversial among Jews. Internationally, non and anti Zionist Jews were entirely against it. Pretty uniformly. Most Zionists, or at least the political entities, supported it because it supported the Zionist project and because it helped get Jews safely to Palestine. Yea, many Zionists were firmly against any cooperation with Nazi Germany. I'm sure that the Jews in Germany were like, that's easy for you to say over there in Palestine, a US get the fuck out police. Yes, the agreement did save about sixty thousand Jewish people from the Holocaust. Yeah, but they did not go to an empty country, and nor did they show up to assimilate into Palestinian culture. They were showing up into a project that was designed to take over, as they've been clear about so. In cities, Palestinians led huge revolts against the destruction of the society at the hands of Zionists. In the countryside, they turned to friend of the pod things that other people will call you a bandit for doing, Like hey, guy, you can't have all this land sorry, I will shoot you if you keep trying to take.
Speaker 2: It from me. Yeah. Nice stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it just comes up a lot on this show. Yeah, this show, we are pro banned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're depending on how cool your hat is.
Speaker 1: I know, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: In nineteen thirty five, Britain offered everyone a deal. It's like, I think kind of the first I don't know, I think it's called this, but it's like the first one state solution attempt. They offer a legislative council of twenty five members that would include five Brits, eight Muslims, seven Jews, three Christians, and two people representing commercial interests.
Speaker 2: Fun. I love those commercial interest guys, just being like, uh, I also sell I sell the most oranges.
Speaker 1: So I got to see I've run across this in early twentieth century stuff where they were more mask off all over the world about that, where they were like, well, of course someone in the government has to just represent the rich people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, we need someone here to represent you know, this group of people, this group of people, and this guy's right to use slave labor to get sugar.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly. That is describing the early federal systems of many countries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's always like, oh, okay, but who has the most power here? Oh I think you know, I think you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And now, of course, you know, you just have lobbyists that represent all these commercial interests instead of more power than the electorate.
Speaker 2: That's right, but.
Speaker 1: Actually I think they still even have whatever. I'm not a big government understander. And so they offer this solution. The Arab High Council, which kind of represents a lot of the you know, the elites or whatever it gets called, was like, yeah, well we'll take it. It's not perfect, but whatever, we'll take it. It seems better and what's going on? And the Zionists were like, well, I know that that would let us wield power that's vastly disproportioned to our actual demographic numbers, but that doesn't give us a majority or total control. So no, yeah, it is a object fell through.
Speaker 2: It is a crazy it is. Yeah, it's just it's an absolutely nuts thing. When you're so confident in your eventual demographic majority that's going to be pulled off through some way, we'll see that. You're just like nope, we are running this place or nothing. Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just like imagine how different because you know, eventually the British proably would have still left. And like, I mean, I don't know, I just like it's sad when I think about like all of the different times people tried to be like what if it's just not an ethno state.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah? Yeah, And like I think of that, it speaks to, I mean the time period in which all this was taking place, the time period in which you know, modern in which Zionism was you know, created, and it speaks to kind of like just culturally, you know, in terms of Western culture, it being not at all a weird thing to just be like, no, our ideology says that we're going to make this a racial thing, and it's weird of you to think it would be anything other than that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why wouldn't we do that? Yeah totally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which, like listen, I'm willing to look at in terms of like in its correct historical context, not to villainize, but to understand. I just hate the revisionism that people do when they talk about this time because all you ever really hear about is the Arabs rejecting every peace proposal and every you know Congress of Zionists, you know, within the British Mandate Palestine, being like we just want hey, we'll share. Well, of course we'll share. And it's like, this is not the case. This is not the case, no matter how many times you pretend it is the case. Yeah.
Speaker 1: This same year, everyone finally knew what was happening because kind of a Looney Tunes way on October sixteenth, nineteen thirty five, some people were unloading a ship and there's a barrel labeled cement and they dropped the barrel and it broke. The men didn't come out, no, no, it was it was guns and ammo locks and shit. And someone said, hey, that's not cement. Yeah, that one barrel is probably the only barrel that somehow accidentally it must have come from America. They were like, it's just a cement. Guy, I got it mixed up with.
Speaker 2: His a you know, they got the mafia there. Just the bag of a truck fell off. What can you do anyways, look away.
Speaker 1: And so people were like, oh, underground terrorists, I as militias are getting armed and now we know it seems bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It kind of became do or die for folks, and it all came to a head in nineteen thirty six and gets called well then not particularly evocative title is the nineteen thirty six to nineteen thirty nine Arab Revolt of Palestine or a vocative the Great Revolt? I know which one I would rather be part of, the one that implies you might win, not the one that's like, but what happens in nineteen thirty nine?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I like anything that starts with great. Yeah. You know, whether it's like wars or gatsbies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or deals like these deals.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Nothing that was good, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Planned that one by Sophie reminded me to an ad. Here's the ad break and we're back the Great Revolt. Like a lot of really fucking cool movements, the Great Revolt wasn't started by this or that group, not any of the congresses or the different patriarchal families, or the political parties, not even the communist parties or the Black.
Speaker 2: Hands or the Green Hands.
Speaker 1: Yeah, although I guess it kind of was a little bit started by some of the revolt could be labeled as starting from the black hand guy getting killed a Cassam and then also some terrorist actions. It led to some things that where some settlers got killed, and then some Arab kids got killed.
Speaker 2: But the point is it's organic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But overall, I mean it was a lot of different Like a lot of these things, a lot of different things are called the start point of it. But the first thing that happened out of it was a six month long Friend of the Pod general strike, probably the longest one we've talked about on this show, besides the general strike of enslaved people in the US South during the Civil War. As for why it had to start from the grassroots, I want to quote from the book The One Hundred Years War on Palestine. In the two decades after nineteen seventeen, the Palestinians had been unable to develop an overarching framework for their national movement, such as the WAFT in Egypt, or the Congress Party in India or Shinfeane in Ireland, nor did they maintain an apparently solid national front, as some others peoples fighting colonialism had managed to do. Their efforts were undermined by the hierarchical, conservative, and divided nature of Palestinian society and politics, characteristic of many in the region, and further sapped by a sophisticated policy of divide and rule adopted by the mandatory authorities. But by nineteen thirty six this divide and conquer wasn't working because that only affected the political class, not the grassroots. A British civil servant who'd quit over how Palestine was being treated. Because there are some decent people from wherever you're born, He described the cause of the revolt like this quote. The rebellion today is, to a greater extent than ever before, a revolt of villagers, and its immediate cause is the proposed scheme of partition. The moving spirits in the revolt are not the nationalist leaders, most of whom are now in exile, but men of the working in agricultural classes who are risking their lives and what they believe to be the only way left to them of saving their homes and their villages. I just I really like how clear that is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's like a British.
Speaker 1: Guy writing at the time. One of the first groups to throw down in this general strike was the Arab Car Owners and Drivers Committee, and a lot of this was actually tax strikes. After months of strikes, the Arab High Arab High Committee signed on agreeing to non cooperation and civil resistance all the stuff that people have been advocating the whole time. They basically the leaders got drag kicking and screaming into supporting what the people were already doing, which is a tiles oldest time. Their demands were basically, we want a democratic government and to stop Zionists from colonizing our country. Resistance was a huge part of it, literally under the classic slogan no taxation without representation.
Speaker 2: Well, that sounds like some straight communism to me.
Speaker 1: I know, absolutely, the reds must be there.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, that's no taxation without Stalin was like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, actually, oh, I'm going to get the details of the slightly wrong. So this partition is being planned, and at first the communist parties were against the partition because they lived there, and they were like, we don't want the partition. But then I think, I think I just read this like right before, but didn't put in the script because I didn't want to talk too much on Stalin. Randomly, Stalin was like, no, we support the partition. So then all of the fucking Palaestinian communists had to be like, we support the partition. Yeah, partition great, yeah, yeah, anyway, the actual cool people doing shit support committees spread all over the country doing mutual aid work like taking care of the sick and supporting families. Nonviolent marches were met with bullets as always, organizers were jailed, martial law was enacted, and this is all for the nonviolent stage of the revolt. Prisoners are getting gunned down for non violently refusing orders in jail and like one guy's quote is shouting, martyrdom is better than jail as he refuses orders in jail and gets killed. The Arab High Committee tried to co opt the general strike in classic form. They called an end to the general strike, being like, oh, don't worry. The British have totally promised they'll take our concerns seriously. Now we've totally totally shown them. This didn't happen. The end of the general strike did happen. The British were like, well, we've given a lot of thought and here on our gloomy island we've decided what's best for you.
Speaker 2: Over there, we'll give you know what they always know what's best. I'm very excited for what this deal is going to be. It's funny, better than a lot of the shit now, but it still sucks. Yeah, we will give seventeen percent of your country to the Jews, the most productive seventeen percent, and do a little ethnic cleansing in those areas quick, and you can have the rest of the country. Only when I say you can have the rest of the country, you'll still be under our colonial administration. Are anti colonials? Sorry, this is mandated. Yeah, this was the first partition of Palestine. So part two of the uprising wasn't as polite as the General strike of nineteen thirty six. In October nineteen thirty seven, they're like, all right, well that didn't work. Armed revolt time. Yeah, that's kind of how it goes, especially you know, you get that first antifada and you're just like, you know what that was. That was pretty good. It was a very peaceful except for all the you know, murder, idf doing the murder. And then you get that second intifada and you're like, oh, yeah, now this is the one that everyone's going to bring up.
Speaker 3: I know, I know.
Speaker 1: And there's like the intro quote to the chapter in one of these books was the whole those who make a nonviolent revolution impossible make violent revolution inevitable. Yeah, it's like that is just true.
Speaker 2: That's just true. That's just exactly. I mean, it just bears out in history every single time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, yeah, and they people will go back and forth with some of the tactical stuff with this. It seems like they almost pulled this off. It took one hundred thousand British soldiers to bring this to heal. This is one soldier for every four adult Palestinian men.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Now as they crushed it, it went real bad. There's like the Brits are bringing in, you know, bombers and shit. I've read ten percent. I've read seventeen percent of Palestinian men. Adult men were either killed, injured, arrested, or driven out of the country during this time period. For demographic comparison, that would be like if around twenty million adult American men were rounded up and killed or driven out of the country or oh shit whatever. One of the leaders of the revolt was an experienced guerrilla fighter, and I'm just bringing them up. This part of the story is cool. And when I say experienced, I mean he was in his mid seventies or his early eighties. Hell yeah, depending on which source he read. His name is Farhan al Sadi, who'd spent a bunch of time in prison and then he joined I think the Black Hand when he got out. I don't know love about him as a person to like say one way or the other. But eventually he was convicted of he I think he was the guy who fired the shot that started the the pre part of the revolt where I said, some where some settlers got killed. I think he had like pulled them off a bus and killed one of them or something. Oh yeah, yeah, But he wasn't convicted of that. He was convicted of the possession of a single round of ammunition and that was the death penalty. They knew who he was, but they couldn't prove anything else. As the best I can tell, Yeah, he died at either age seventy five or eighty one, so I guess by that we have to say seventy eight. Yeah, yeah, yeah, in the of a gorilla struggle. And I think that this is a heartwarming It is never too late to follow your dreams. Inspiring news story, just like actors who don't get their start until their fifties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the same thing. You never know when you're going to be you know, the spark of a revolution or be a revolutionary Shahid. You know, it's never too late to give up on your dreams, folks.
Speaker 1: Now, meanwhile, the British go full fucking mad Max on the rebels, and I wish I did not mean this literally. They had developed this trick I had never heard of over in Ireland or what you do? You take a prisoner and you tie them to the front of your car or train so the other rebels can't attack your convoy because there's a living person tied to it that is your prisoner.
Speaker 2: So so first of all, that is just straight up mad Max, insane. And second of all, you're telling me the British were using human shields. Yes, absolutely, And there was photos of this. The one I've seen isn't a guy like tied to the grill. It's two guys tied up to a little trailer being pushed by the front of the vehicle. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: So they tied to the grill is like a little bit more brutal. They had to develop the thing to push in the front of this fucking car. They went to a fucking auto shop fabricator and we're like, we need a mad Max a guy and the guy was like, I'm from the future. I know totally what you mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, Like that's crazy because I just took a time machine to watch that movie and now I'm back here and I chose this time randomly because I'm evil, because I'm evil, and I just like, you know, making weird shit for the British. Yeah. So yeah, let's do it. Bro, Let's let's make this mad Max fucking torture human shield machine. Yeah, every every accusation, every single goddamn time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you are suspected of being a rebel, the British would blow up your house or kill your family, just doing the like we're sad we can't do this in Ireland anymore, so we'll do it here.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: They would demolish random homes and villages. This is against international law, the whole collective punishment thing that has never stopped an empire, especially not in this part of the country or a world. Thousands were arrested without trial. In nineteen thirty eight, the British destroyed this village, Baca Algarabia, burning down almost every wooden building and leveling seventy stone houses. Then they arrested all the men in town and there's this pattern that I've seen a bunch of times. Your big shitty colonial state is trying to repress an anti colonial or anti authoritarian revolution. So like, ah, we locked up all the men, were like good now, and then the women take things even harder.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's most because they're just like women. They can't do anything. I know.
Speaker 1: Somehow they picked up rocks with their weak womenly arms.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the women of the village brought their kids and a bunch of rocks and went to the military barracks at night and were like, give us our fucking men back and started throwing rocks.
Speaker 2: Fuck yes, and it worked. Wow.
Speaker 1: They got all of the men released from prison by storming the prison with rocks.
Speaker 2: That is badass. Yeah, and so those are really really nice wives. You know, I would like would do that for me, but I don't think she would. Just tw you know that these were decent husbands, you know. Yeah, yeah, clearly these are decent husbands. You know. With me, Francesca would be like, you know, you need you need a few weeks in there.
Speaker 1: You know, prisoner. You know, we'll just put your name on all the things draw to the cause.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. She'll be like, you know what, I got kind of a busy schedule this week. Can I throw some rocks? Get a prison next week? I'm just getting I love my wad former guest of the pod. Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, other prisoners were liberated by more traditional methods rebels with guns, storm jails and let Yeah.
Speaker 2: Classic, classic, classic way to do it. There's multiple methods, always good. Yeah, I always say go with the classic, but I like, you know, the gangs of women with rocks. Yeah, that's all you have is rocks. Exactly, go with the rocks.
Speaker 3: Like when you buy name Brad Dreno, even though you know that there's other brands that work just as good better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: You never go wrong storming to prison with rifles exactly.
Speaker 2: I mean, for the most part, you could never go wrong. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, it totally doesn't end well badly for anyone any talking about rebels took out an acting district commissioner, an Australian guy who'd been really excited about the partition of the country, and so four masked men did him a shooting in September nineteen thirty seven, on his forty first birthday, while he was on his way to his Protestant Church.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, happy birthday. I know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here's a couple presents bonus holes and the speed holes makes him go faster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly helps them blow out more candles. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The British lost their fucking British minds over this. Yeah, they rounded up people and started torturing and raping people to get information.
Speaker 2: Fuck.
Speaker 1: The funny thing about like being the boring reformist organization like the Arab High Committee that like Higher Committee that was like ended the strike and trying to play nice with the British. It never works. You're not safer after you know this Australian dude gets killed. The Arab High Committee was declared illegal and basically all the Nationalists leadership was deported or went into exile. But classically, a bottom of rebellion doesn't stopped by deporting its self at leaders and people went even harder. British lost. The British lost control over a lot of the country, especially the rural areas, and also a bunch of the cities. It was also this revolt that the Kafia, that black and white scarf became the symbol of rebellion and Palestinian pride.
Speaker 2: Oh all right, that I did not know that. Yeah, I mean I did know that. I've always known that totally. If we're wrong, I got it from a history book. Yeah. Also, if we're wrong, I didn't know that for a reason.
Speaker 1: I did get because wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like I mean things like that. I'm always like, there's probably multiple times or places, but that whatever sounds right, I'll go with it. The Palestinians almost pulled this off. One British general set in nineteen thirty eight. The situation was such that civil administration of the country was, to all practical purposes non existent, and that practically every village in the country harbors and supports the rebels and will assist in concealing their identity from the government forces. And so yeah, they got the fucking world. How different it would be if they'd pulled this off. Yeah, the two things.
Speaker 2: I imagine you say that sentence a lot on this podcast.
Speaker 1: I absolutely do. That is kind of the I'll be like the we we almost we almost did it is the other name of the show.
Speaker 2: If I almost did it, by Jim.
Speaker 1: We almost pulled it off, by every revolutionary everywhere. Yeah, the two things that brought down this rebellion. Were two things we see bring down an awful lot of rebellions. First, and I think this is the most important thing to point it to, overwhelming military force of the British and their complete lack of like interest in following any semblance of law as they do it. You know, you're talking about shooting and prisoning or exiling almost one man and five in the country. That is twice a decimation for anyone keeping track.
Speaker 2: Oh, I forget that decimation is like a unit of measurement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how to kill guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I just always saw it as just like a word meaning a thing, but it's like a specific amount of dead, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was funny. This actually came up in one of our most recent episodes. I think of it as related to a Tolstoy story about happening in the Russian military, and then Sophie pointed out that it was a Roman thing. Thinks about the Roman army, Roman military once a week. Yeah, that's how it goes.
Speaker 2: But yeah, hey, it.
Speaker 1: Didn't correct me. Must be right, that's okay. So they had one hundred thousand soldiers and they you know, fucked up everyone. They found the other thing that happened was a successful divide and conquer ended up kind of coming in. In the end, Palestinian started splitting between those that wanted to compromise and those that didn't, or, as another source put it, basically, it was like different strong men were vying for control, which would have been avoided by grassroots and democratic institutions. That's probably the bias of that author, but I probably share that bias. This split went badly. Hundreds of assassinations were the result of the split. One rebel wrote that it had started off as a war against the English and the Jews, but quote transformed into a civil war where methods of terrorism, pillage, theft, fire, and murder became common, which Jesus Christ no wonder. Ireland and Palestine are such tight friends. I'm just doing an ad libs from the same script talking about what the British did in Ireland.
Speaker 2: Yea splits and.
Speaker 1: You know violence, Irish and Irish violence and Palestinian on Palestinian violence.
Speaker 2: The British are really good at that. They Americans taken conquer, but they can't cook a fucking meal. Weird, Now, well, they have to conquer places that know how to Yeah, they have to conquer places that know how to eat good. Yeah, so the only way, no wonder, there're so mad. Yeah.
Speaker 1: By the summer of nineteen thirty nine, the rebellion was crushed and Palestine was way way weaker. After the revolt, the newly armed and trained Zionist settlers came out on top because they were kind of like, I mean, like the British mostly did this right, but then the Zionists are like getting some military training, They're getting all these weapons. Even the General Strike wound up playing well for the Zionists because as different Arab industries shut down, Hebrew labor stepped up. If the Arab revolt had only been against the Zionists and the British had stayed out of it, the world would have been a completely different place today.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well that's kind of the truth of anything the British touch.
Speaker 1: I know, if the British had stayed out of it, a tale of utopia is al. If the British had stayed out of it, then all the people fleeting programs could have gone to the UK.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know, it's just uh, it's and it's it's interesting too because I always find the mirroring of the two, the you know, the British colonial mindset and the Zionist mindset being so similar that it's when you see a British Israeli official talking where you go like, oh, okay, okay, the same same, same, same thing. It's like, you know, whenever I would see like what's his name, Alon Levy, who was like the former the former government spokesman for Israel wh would go on all the TV shows before he was fired because somehow he lied too much even for Israel.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And like you know, you you hear his you know, his British accent, and you you hear what he's saying in the way saying. You're just like, yeah, this is this is like a British this is a very British euro centric type of you know, viewpoint. And also you know, just the whole affectation of it is very British And it kind of puts Zionism in this context that you didn't initially put it in because they've done so much reht conning in order to make it not seem like this Western settler colonial movement and rather some sort of indigenous rights movement created by the those you know who were kicked out of the schtettle in the pale of settlement, and it's like, no, nope, nope, not my full story here.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've been aware of a lot of the modern stuff about Israel Palestine for a very long time, but this time period, a lot of the like quick history type stuff I had read had really basically been like, well, just too many Jews were coming, and it was okay when there's three Jews, but people got really mad if lots of Jews came, as compared to specifically being like no, this was a specific and conscious setting up of settlements that were outside the rest of society, and like just a completely fundamentally different thing.
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: Really? That was the like I knew a lot of the broad strokes of a lot of this, but that was the stuff about the really early stuff that I was like, oh okay, now I yeah again it I.
Speaker 2: Think it's like, it's context that is important to understand for anyone who's like, who's you know, recently coming to this conflict and wanting to learn about it, and and it's it's you know, this context is also hard I think for some people on you know, for not just for like Zionists, but also for people who are anti Zionists trying to understand the conflict or learning about it and knowing that there was like you can't say, oh, the Palestinians were only ever victims. They were never you know, victimizing. It's because no, there was violent revolts going on against what they were seeing coming on the horizon. Was there eventual ethnic cleansing and they were right about it? Yeah, And you know it's like you can't say, oh, well, we only ethnically cleansed because they started revolting because they were worried about us ethnically cleansing, when it was so clear from the writings of early Zionists like Hertzeul, like Jobatinsky, you know, like fucking just like the entire early Zionist cohort was saying demographic majority is everything, and ethnic cleansing is the only way to go about it. You know. So they're not wrong. And it's not to say that I'm like, yeah, you know, I love killing people or whatever, but it's to say that this history that we have, this one sided narrative of just like oh, the Arabs, you know, didn't want there to be Jews or thought there were too many Jews or whatnot. Yeah, is just is just completely completely missing the point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, if you support the protests that are happening whenever you are listening to this as we're recording it right now, there's really amazing and inspiring protests at universities across the US that the police.
Speaker 2: Are violently putting down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, violently putting down because people are camping on a place they pay forty thousand dollars a year to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that the mainstream media and government officials are calling anti semitic, even though there's a large and disproportionately Jewish population of people who are there supporting the protests for you know, divestment on these college campuses from Israel. Yeah, and you know all that all that fun stuff, all the you know, fun authoritarian bullshit that we doesn't affect us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So support those things or whatever is happening by the time you read this. Because until Palestine is free people, yeah, I mean yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean straight up, that is the That is a hard fast truth of it. And if you want to support them through uh laughing, Ah, I've got a plug.
Speaker 1: For you, Okay, what is it? I will support them by laughing.
Speaker 2: It's called Bad Hasbar the World's most moral podcasts. A podcast that I do about Israeli propaganda. It is mostly just you know, me and some friends sitting around talking about just some crazy propaganda that we saw, you know, recently, and making fun of it. It's a lot of fun. It's cathartic. I don't think it will help anything in the world, So obviously, give your time and energy to something you know, more direct, Yes, more direct.
Speaker 1: But direct stuff matters. But direct stuff matters too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you but if you want to, you know, like to have an emotional break from it, and you want to you feel like no one else is is giving you permission to, you know, be mad. Come, come, come laugh with us. It's fun.
Speaker 1: Wholly endorse this podcast. I wrote. My plug is that I have a substack Marto Kildroy dot substack whatever, and recently by whenever you hear this, but maybe not super recently, by whenever you hear this, I wrote a piece called Casting Fire, which came out of a conversation I had. I was giving a presentation to students at the New School unrelated to the occupation. A class had read one of my books and I was zooming in to talk to them about that, but then the occupation had taken off, so instead we talked about what I have learned through my experience and through my reading about the stages of protests and how to avoid recuperation, and how we inoculate ourselves against various types of splintering, the things that destroy movements, how to avoid it. It's called casting Fire. It's very short, but it's free. It's an essay. That's what I got, Sophie. Anything you want to plug?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have a new podcast. It's a weekly podcast hosted by Jimmie loftis called sixteenth Minute of Fame. And if it is after April thirtieth, the trailer is out. If it's after May seventh episode or more.
Speaker 1: And that's the weekly rewatch podcast of sixteen Candles where every week Jamie watches sixteen Candles its top in a different way, the subject just over and over again forever. It's the Groundhog Day of podcasts about a different movie.
Speaker 2: My gosh, pod yourself a sixteenth candle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we will be back next week with more stuff. Actually, I think we'll be back next week with Jamie loftus probably unless schedules change, in which case we won't. Bye everyone.
Speaker 3: Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts on cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.