Speaker 1: Jones comes up to the line of scrimage. I'll settles back in the shotgun. Crowd on its feet, tals swirling, an act for sure. Snap back to Jones looking and has the balls out of the way and covered by TJ. Watt. Stripsack recovery Steelers ball. Tremendous turn of events late in the fourth quarter, an act for sure.
Speaker 2: Stadium unbelievable. When you need a most, he delivers the most. That's right, TJ.
Speaker 3: Watt with a crucial strip sack late in the fourth quarter to key a Steeler's victory at home on Monday Night Football twenty six to eighteen.
Speaker 2: Stop me if you've heard this one before.
Speaker 3: Yes, every Steelers game in primetime feels the same. Hell, every Steelers game for the last seven eight years feels the same. With TJ. Watt getting it done at the end. That was Rob King and Craig Wolfley on w DV. I'm Greg Rosenthal with Nick Sook on NFL Daily on this Monday night, and I love the Steelers in these spots. And I know you're from Cleveland, and maybe you don't agree with me, but I love that they're reliable. They give us some entertainment. And yet they give us like a familiar ending that just like gets you ready to go to bed.
Speaker 4: And yet the Giants did not decide to dedicate a running back to Chip TJ Watt on a crucial third down. And it's gonna if I guess said, I've said this many times and I'll say it again. If I had hair, I'd be pulling it out right now. I'd be losing it because I was raging about the fact that they left Jermaine Illuminor on the island against TG Watt in that situation. But that's what happens when you play the Steelers at home primetime. Twenty two straight wins on Monday night football on primetime, that's an unfathomable stat I didn't realize that existed until tonight. And they come up with another win and they provide a ton of entertainment. I think it was a third straight week in which they were in primetime and they've delivered.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I love Troy Aikman on this call in general, and if not for him, I wouldn't feel as confident in thinking that maybe the running back missed the assignment on that play. There was a couple couple ones late where it was like, should he have released out or no, you're saying no, he did not.
Speaker 4: Have He released right through the middle of the line. He was not even considering that side. I would never even let him no check and release there, dedicate him because if it's a base rush, not to get in the weeds.
Speaker 5: But if it's a base rush, Wat's coming.
Speaker 4: Wat's not dropping back into coverage there when they need to get pressure, He's going to be there, be there to protect against to get a chip, get some help for that guy.
Speaker 2: Get in the weeds, please, Shook.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you feel like you haven't been getting in the weeds, I want to get in the weeds with you.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 3: That was to me, you know, one of the key mispatches of the night. Drai Jermaine Illuminor, who decided, you know, preferred not to move from right tackle to the left tackle when they lost Andrew Thomas for the season.
Speaker 2: Made sense. He'd been having a really good year.
Speaker 3: I think the Giants offensive line overall has been better than average, the best they've been in a long time. And Illuminor's had a nice season. But whenever he gets you know, matched up one on one against why it's not gonna go well. Meanwhile on the other side, it's Chris Hubbard getting abused even more by Alex Highsmith repeatedly, and on a night where Russell Wilson played really well overall and the Steelers get four hundred and twenty six yards of offense. Feel like it's been a long time since we heard that. I do think it still came back to in the end, the Steelers' power move, like the Steelers special sauce, is the edge rush with Hayward obviously in the middle, and in the end they had to get some stops because of a Russell Wilson fumble because they decide not to go for it on a fourth down late in the fourth quarter. We can get to that decision if you want, but the the edge rushes get it done in the end, and that wasn't even the last time that they had to stop the Giants. The Giants actually got the ball back, got it over midfield with no timeouts, with under a minute to go, and it ended on a Daniel Jones interception where he sort of felt pressure that wasn't really there. And Beanie Bishops, who's had a surprisingly big part of this season. The safety for the Steelers gets the interception to finish off the game, but it just didn't fit as good narrative wise, Nick Shook, so I decided to go with TJ.
Speaker 2: Watt for the highlight. It's just better highlight.
Speaker 5: Now that's the clinching play.
Speaker 4: And the downside too, it is that it feels like a broken record because he does it so often. That's how great he is, which also speaks to why I'm so infuriated that they didn't provide help there. But I'm not going to repeat that. I'm okay with that decision, by the way, to pun on fourth and three. You know why, because you're facing Daniel Jones. You're facing an offense that struggled to put up points all night. It wasn't until Tyrone Tracy got loose and scored a touchdown that they actually found the end zone. They wasted their best previous opportunity, which came way back on their first possession. And if I'm Mike Toman and I have that defense and I got high Smith torching Chris Hubbard. Nice guy, by the way, he used to play for the Browns and I worked there. A very nice guy. But unfortunate situation for him, and they're torching Jermaine and Illuminar and they're getting a ton of pressure that You've got a PRESSU rate over fifty percent tonight. Yeah, I'm gonna put it on my defense go win this game because we're facing Daniel Jones. And it's so funny that, like I even slacked Kevin Patra to night and I was like, hey, I feel the crushing Daniel Jones interception coming. The next play he throws the pick, Like this is the guy that we know. He's not good at ball security. He fumbled the last possession away and gave the Steelers the ball back before the Giants are able to get it back on that force fumble and Russell Wilson like this is who they are. So I would totally trust the defense in that scenario, and it paid out in the right way for the Steelers.
Speaker 3: That's a great call. First of all, did you have ad Ian Rackson's you know with Chris Hubbard. Do you ever see him like in the cafeteria, Like.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, we talked all the time. He was very nice.
Speaker 3: Really wow, I really have not dug in enough to your brown seas it is now like a statue of statute of limitations. So anything that was off the record or doesn't feel appropriate to share pubably is fine.
Speaker 2: So just yeah, just keep that.
Speaker 4: Jarvis Landry played that entire season with an injured hip. Told me that the Pro Bowl that was my Me and I have are really tight. Me and Nick Chubb are really tight. You know, Dell were pretty tight. We had a lot of friends.
Speaker 3: Wow, Okay, I need to get more into that. I mean, you're telling me that Jarvis Landry was playing hurt. Is not exactly like breaking news. I mean, yeah, when was he not her? It's true underrated player Jarvis Landry, who was very tough, Like I think he was hurt all the time because he played so tough. I disagree with them going not going for it on fourth and three. Just to back it up for a second, and we will talk Russell Wilson because he was a huge takeaway in this game. You get to the two minute warning, it's fourth and three, they're at the forty two the forty three yard line. They win the game with two or three yards. Instead, they decide to punt and let their defense take care of it. The only reason why I would disagree is because at that point in the game, their defense had been on the field a lot, and the Giants were moving the ball finally a lot in the fourth quarter. You mentioned the touchdown drive that they had. They also had a field goal drive. Granted it came off a short field, but it still was a forty yard drive before that. So they were moving the ball and they never take TJ. Watte off the field. This has been on my radar a little bit. He played ninety five percent of the steps. I think the only steps he sat out were the last couple months because he's so gassed. Unless I'm missing something, it's like okay. So, And to be fair, they gave up the yardage that they got in the punt in about you know, thirty forty seconds, so it wasn't like their defense.
Speaker 5: Was playing like the game.
Speaker 4: Situation eliminated the thread of the run because they had to throw the ball and you're facing Daniel Jones and I would take those odds.
Speaker 3: If I'm the Steelers, I would too. I would take the odds either way. My point is, I would take the odds on the fourth and two. That's like fifty to fifty maybe better. The way their offense would take it with Justin Fields right, it would have helped. And it got me thinking Justin Fields on the bench, him and Russell Wilson getting along. I think it's really cool how maturely and well they've handled it. It's not an act. He's in active for this game. Justin Fields, they're going into the bay as a hamstring injury. It doesn't seem like it was serious. If it was like the playoffs, I think you would have been active as their backup. But I want to make sure. But at some point in this season, if the red zone struggles continue, and the Steelers really struggled in the red zone tonight, I think they went zero for four if I'm not mistaken, didn't the one touchdown was long. So you got one of the better red zone quarterbacks in the league, and Justin Fields. You got Russell Wilson moving the ball and really orchestrating this offense more efficiently than Fields did. I give Mike Tomlin a lot of credit. You know, we should use some Justin Field in the red zone. I think when we get into this season, I'm not saying like the second you pass the twenty, you just take Russell Wilson out of the game, but you should be in the mix.
Speaker 4: So I have these thoughts a lot when I'm watching football because I think about what would I do if I was the head coach. Sometimes it translates to what I'm playing, you know, in the college football league or a madd in league.
Speaker 5: Right, what would I do in this scenario?
Speaker 4: And there's two sides to the coin of the replacing a quarterback with another guy who's more adept at running, which is you're kind of telegraphing what you might want to do, not giving away entirely what you're going to do, but you're at least making the defense think, all right, this guy's running threat.
Speaker 5: At least have to be aware of that.
Speaker 4: You take away the element of surprise that you would get if he had the whole drive to get down there, which is where Field's really capitalized earlier.
Speaker 5: In the season.
Speaker 4: They'd be in the goal line, run a little read option, he'd skip in the end zone for a touchdown. So I think that there's a little bit of give and take between the two. But I like the idea because it's at least a variable that you can introduce that you don't have otherwise. Because look, we saw in the third down scramble that set up that fourth and three punt. Russell Wilson's running in quicksand he's not the same MOBI that he used to be, and we've known that for a while. He's playing really well and he's elevated this offense.
Speaker 5: Guys.
Speaker 4: He's spreading the ball around to Calvin Austin and Van Jefferson and George Pickens and him have a great connection. But he's not the mobile guy that's going to take off and to run anymore like he used to. So having fields available would be a nice little element. We're obviously thinking down the road with this team, but again, they've won so many games that I think we've been empowered to think down the road for them because they're not going anywhere, but they're going to be right here in the race for a long time.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: They're in first place.
Speaker 3: Let's not forget six and two heading into their buy and they've had the easier part of their schedule early. They have their entire ai AFC North schedule after the bye, so that's six of their games plus Washington is their first game. I think it's in Washington after the bye, So I love that the Steelers are main characters in this season. This is the best Steelers team, and this is in the highest bar ever. But since the pandemic year where they went undefeated for a while.
Speaker 5: And they were the worst undefeated team they've ever seen.
Speaker 3: They were and they were taking on water by the end of the year, but they were still a good team. Like they weren't a twelve and four team, but for most of that season, they were one of the seven or eight best teams in the NFL, like at worst. Whereas the last seasons where they keep having winning records making the playoffs, it's like they're literally getting outscored by twenty to sixty points every year and it's just this ridiculous Tomlin Sorcery. This year, their point differential is great, you know, and it's been good opponents that they place. I think they're a legitimately good team, a good defense that doesn't out allow a lot of points. The offense is certainly coming together. Naja Harris and Jalen Warren good tonight. And yeah, that's why I wouldn't have minded them going for it. You're absolutely right.
Speaker 2: That Russell Wilson was looking like he was going in quick staying on that plate.
Speaker 3: There was also a first and twenty that they called a run and I was like, oh, good call, cause if it was Justin Fields is like he could have popped that thing and he was moving so slow. And I think they're learning, Okay, what can we call? What can we not? And here's a deep poll for Steelers fans out there. You know they do that training camp drill every day and I only know about it because they write about it on the Athletic every day. Seven shots, seven shots where it's its end zone, it's red zone, you know, basically goal line defense seven times every single practice.
Speaker 2: Who wins offense or defense? And I remember in camp.
Speaker 3: It's like Justin Fields was way better at it than Russell Wilson because he's not Taysom Hill. Out there's a he can throw the ball pretty well, not that Taysom Hill camp, but I mean rus Justin Fields better at it. So this is a very small point to be making about this, saying I'd rather hear what you think just about the positives and what you saw out of Russell Wilson on an eye where they moved the ball over two hundred yards in the first half but settled for three field goals, and then he started just going bombs away a bunch of nice deep shots in the second half, and they were really moving the ball.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they also had a touchdown pass that was wiped out by a face mass penalty on the right tackle. Like they very much put together a hell of an opening drive, so much that Joe Buck was like, great drive. Oh, and there's a flag on the play, and then it backed him up and they had to settle for three. This offense is just more dangerous with Russell Wilson, and it's really a feather in the cap of Mike Tomlin, who, like you said, you know, has pulled off all types of magic acts in the last few years to get the Steelers in the playoffs at least fished with a winning record. Well, this time he doesn't have to because he made the right decision to go to Russell Wilson, because he had an inkling that, look, we put this guy in, it's going to open up our passing game because Russell is a better passer, he's more experienced. It's really showing in his connection with George Pickens. Now Piggins tonight doesn't finish with you know, the same stat line that he did a week ago. He finishes with seventy four yards on four catches. Last week he went over for one hundred and ten or one hundred and eleven, I think. But the threat is there, the deep ball is there, and it opens everything up for everybody else where. You get Calvin Ellison involved, he catches a touchdown pass. He also took a punt back which kind of burst the dam and allowed the offense to start doing something on both sides of the ball. You get Van Jefferson involved, and we know how inconsistent Van Jefferson can be when you're getting those guys involved. And it's not a big night for Pat Farreyermouth, and you still go over four hundred yards, which, by the way, to Russell Wilson starts two four hundred plus yard games they had one in six justin field starts. That proves the point that Tomlin was searching for when he made this change. So it's been a great move for them so far. The running game has been really helpful. Naja Harris goes over one hundred again. He had a great night against the Jets a week ago. Now he has another great night tonight. He's running hard, he's running with motivation in a contract year. He's running like he did at Alabama for the first time in a few years. And Jalen Warren is a nice spellback for them now. It's a nice little one two punch. So over all, that offense is a sending and we know what you get from your defense. And let's not forget Greg. The special teams is great. Like they've locked a ton of field goals this year. They get a punt return touchdown tonight. He loves to show their special teams coach in the sideline with the biggest wadda gum you're ever gonna see. He's gonna he fired up. Yeah, Danny Smith, he's fired up, and they love him. You can see them all surrounding him and celebrating him when they make a big play. It's a well rounded team and they deserve first place in the AFC North right now. They've played the most complete football, maybe not the prettiest football, but the most complete football of any team in this division right now, and they've earned their spot.
Speaker 3: All right, Let's listen to that punt return touchdown. My god, does Calvin Austin have some juice?
Speaker 1: Calvin Austin inside his own forty yard line, is retreated back to the thirty nine to wait for this Matt Hawk punt. Flag flies, his Hawk boots a low line drive. Austin retreating back to his twenty six will take it. He's gonna start to the left, trying to get to the outside there and he's gonna get there, and he's gonna cross the forty. He's gonna cross midfield. He's gonna cross the forty. Of the times here he goes preset, get on the left sideline. Calvin Austin is in for the score? What are run by Calvin Austin a seventy four yard return as Calvin Austin, He's electrified this crowd at Acrashuer.
Speaker 2: Stadium, Oh Kinger, I gotta tell you.
Speaker 1: As soon as he turned the corner and went wang dang doodle down that sidelines, you knew nobody was gonna catch him.
Speaker 2: Wangang doodle. I love it.
Speaker 3: I mean, if any player in the NFL wang dang doodles, it's Calvin Austin maybe two two at well here and there, but that dude scoots and yeah, you mentioned it. He also had a twenty nine yard touchdown catch on a nice throw from Russell Wilson that was really important late in the game, Like we started going back and forth here for a second. That got the lead to twenty two to nine. You're twenty three to nine and you thought it was basically over there. Then the Giants finally got their touchdown. Steelers respawn with a field goal, and in that Russell Wilson fumble happens and everything. Look, Russell Wilson had a forty three yarder of Pickens, a thirty six yard to Van Jefferson, who I'd given up for dead. I apologize. I thought that was like the worst free agency signing. I thought this receiver group was the worst in the NFL. After George Pickens, they're getting good play out of him. They mentioned how well Van Jefferson's blocking, how game he is.
Speaker 2: For that.
Speaker 3: You learned that in Los Angeles, and they're getting some production out of him. Austin has some juice, and then they get twenty nine yard to Darnell Washington. Now, I don't know if this is enough to go win the Super Bowl or get to it, but it's better than I would have expected. And one of my biggest takeaways from this game is how much Mike Tomlin is enjoying being right about Russell Wilson after that touchdown that they catch Mike Tomlin with this huge smile on his face and pointing.
Speaker 2: I couldn't tell.
Speaker 3: I think he's pointing at Russell Wilson that like, yeah, I told you that call was gonna work or whatever, and he is loving it. I'm thinking about that press conference where they were Brandon Marshall is the one that asked him, like, was this one of the boldest decisions you ever made?
Speaker 2: He said, that's why I'm well compensated and got to give it to him, man, like it's working.
Speaker 3: It's working, all hail, Mike tom I don't know if Russell Wilson's gonna be like a top ten quarterback in the QB INEX by the end of the year. I'm not ready to fully buy in, and I'll tell you a few reasons why. But he is an upgrade right now from justin fields. It's definitely worked.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean the sample size is small at this point, so don't expect him to climb just yet.
Speaker 5: We need a little bit more proof.
Speaker 4: I'm QB Index, yes, QB Index Central, but so far, so good, and it's it's really I think given the Steelers more optimism, not that they didn't have it, but they knew that they had to win ugly early in the season. They had to win on the back of their defense and by playing ball control when they had the ball, limiting turnovers, and Fields did a good job of that. In fact, I think he did better than most people expected him to, so much that we were all like, why are you making this change?
Speaker 3: But it was that Raiders game, which I don't think anyone watched, and I didn't either when I hadn't either when I first reacted to the Fields thing, and then I eventually watched it later this week, and they won that game by like nineteen points or whatever. But it was Field's worst game by far. It was that game that got them benched.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and yet they still ran away with a win because that's how good of a team they are. So it was the right time to make that decision, and he also needed to find out whether it was a decision that should be made. And so far, you know, you got to give him again a tip of the cap for having the guts to do it. And you only get that leeway when you're Mike Tomlin, when you've been a head coach of the team for so long and had success and turned average teams into playoff teams year after year and could keep avoiding a losing record. That's when you get that leash and the ability to make that decision, and then you look really smart when it pays out for you.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad you mentioned that because it's something we never mentioned on NFL Daily, despite having seventeen shows a week and however many hours that y'all listen out there.
Speaker 2: We appreciate you so much.
Speaker 3: I saw reporting that week, you know, going into the Sunday, the national reporting was that, look, he just wanted to see what it looked like with Russell Wilson too.
Speaker 2: They got this guy.
Speaker 3: They play in the whole season for what it's like, And to your point about being Mike Tomlin and having that leeway, it's a long season. Like he knows what he has in Justin Fields. He wanted to see what he had in Russell Wilson, and he understands the quarterback change is not the whole team. We can win games with Russell Wilson or Justin Fields. But I want to see what it looks like with Russell Wilson before kind of making a final decision. I think he was viewing this Russell Wilson, not as like I'm going to be right about it, but I saw what I saw all off season, and I want to see and if I'm not feeling it after three or four games, I'm still Mike f and Tomlin, I'm still well compensated. I can switch back and I'll do that having known like what's right for my team.
Speaker 4: This is a guy who lives by mantras right, one of them being the standard is the standard, another one being we're not going to live in our fears. How about leave no stone unturned, which is exactly what he did when he made the switch to Russell Wilson. And it's working out for them, and we'll see where they go because Russ is going to have a game where he doesn't look great. There's been stretches in these games where he hasn't looked very good. I mean, he got almost boot off the field in the first half against the Jets, then came out and kind of lit them up and led them to a victory. Then kind of a similar story tonight doesn't get booed, but they're struggling to get in the end zone, especially in the red zone, and then they're able to find a way in there in the second half with that touchdown pass to Calvin Austin. That's a throw that I'm not sure justin fields makes, but Russell Wilsons certainly capable of doing it now.
Speaker 3: And Troy Aikman was pointing out, you know, a couple of the long balls were overthrown or underthrown, but his receivers are making good plays on it, and then a couple were absolutely beautiful. There were boosts tonight, I think after halftime when they had two fruitless possessions. Like those Steelers fans are they were, but they were just doing the team. Yeah, I know they're They're a little spoiled. Meanwhile, their defense, I couldn't believe this stat has given up no third quarter points all season.
Speaker 2: That's absolutely crazy. Zero. Jalen Warren looked so much better. He was playing hurt early in the year.
Speaker 3: I think he's going to be a more important player as this season goes on. I think he had about fifty plus total yards at halftime, didn't really see the field that much. In the second half fifty nine yards, but doesn't matter. It gives him a really nice one to two punch. You mentioned Naja Harris. He helped get Deontay Banks benched, the first round pick of the Giants at cornerback from a year ago, who people were getting on his coaches were getting on for bad effort.
Speaker 2: Dove at Naje Harris. I didn't think.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess it was bad technique, but it wasn't bad effort or anything. But it got him benched in this game their first round pick. Let's talk a little bit about the Giants. That touchdown they had with Tyrone Tracy in the fourth quarter ended a twenty three drive streak without a touchdown, which is brutal, but they almost got to four hundred yards in this game. They actually moved the ball great. Tyrone Tracy is a nice rookie running back. He left the game with a concussion. It's really disappointing because he had one hundred and forty five yards on the ground. He's really been playing well. They have a really nice rookie class. I can get into that. But the game ends with Daniel Jones still taking a couple of bad sacks and fumble and you know, throwing in an interception and even on a night where you know you hit a couple of long plays, you got Darius Slayton over one hundred yards. Like it was better, but better is still not enough. Like, you know, I think Daboll is calling good games and Daniel Jones maybe isn't totally executing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that speaks to the committee they made of Daniel Jones, you know, the previous not last offseason, but the off season before when they felt they had to pay him, and they're kind of paying for it now because he has a quarterback with a visible ceiling and it's not very high, especially in situations in which you need to go the length of the field to score a game tying touchdown.
Speaker 5: Look, this team is is just limited overall.
Speaker 4: That's what happens when you That's how you end up losing twenty eight to three home to the Eagles last week. That's how you lose a game like this that was a winnable game, even when you're because their defense has been good enough to win. We've seen it at times when they've gotten their two wins this year and they played well enough to give them a chance at least in the first half on on Monday Night, and yeah.
Speaker 2: Five scoring drives three hundred and ninety six yards.
Speaker 4: It's not like they terrible there, but they're between the twenties offense, like they can thrive between the twenties.
Speaker 5: Once they get into the red zone, that's when things fall apart.
Speaker 4: They had a touchdown also wiped out by penalty as well an illegal shift, which I feel like we're seeing more of those this year than any season in the past.
Speaker 5: Dable was heated about it.
Speaker 4: There was an explanation on the broadcast that when player moved, another player needed to get set before they snapped the ball, and they didn't. I wouldn't call that a procedural error. Maybe that's a little ticky tack, but it just kind of speaks to what holds teams like this back overall.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Troy Aigman didn't enjoy it. He's like, I want a good game. He seemed sick of Daniel Jones. He's pretty critical, just noting how Daniel Jones has to really see a pass yeah before he thought it was in the timing, and that if he hit Molik neighbors and stride a couple different times. Neighbors ends up with seventy one yards and thirteen targets, but a crucial drop that forced them to kick a field goal when they were down eleven in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 2: But on that pass, it was.
Speaker 3: Like Daniel Jones didn't lead him, so it was like they were both at fall and Troy I think speaks for America, who's just tired of watching Daniel Jones in prime time. It's nothing personal, it's just it's been a lot. I mean, the record is crazy, it's like one in fifteen. It's just it's outrageous. And I saw some of the local Giants reporters saying, like it's time you got to pull the plug on him, and.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't fault them if they did.
Speaker 3: But I also watched that Drew lock couple drives that he had not good.
Speaker 2: Not even not good.
Speaker 3: They were like they were total, they were the worst of Drew. Like they were somehow significantly worse than your average Daniel Jones drive. And yes, you could prepare him for a week and it should go better. But I think it points to how badly this organization has been run. Because Joe Shane and this coaching staff last year decided to start Tommy Cutlets over a healthy Tyrod Taylor. After Tyrod Taylor got healthy, they got all caught up in the Tommy Cutlets and Tyro Taylor wasn't thrilled about it, you know, like he was. I think he was just hurt by it and being like, you're benching me for this guy?
Speaker 2: Are you? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: And then of course Tommy Cutlets turned into whatever, like three day old Tommy Cutlet's right, and they started benching him. You know, It's like they left it out in the sun too long, and they benched him, and they went back to Tyrod and he played pretty well. And then we saw on Hard Knocked And this is why it might be hard to get teams to do these hard knocks. Like we saw their whole plan was, oh, we're getting Tyrod back, We're getting Tired back. Dabo really wants Tyrad back. We really want Tyrad back. Well, number one, you didn't spend the money to do it. But number two, my guess is he just didn't want to go back. He was like, you bench I have no information on this, but you bench me for Tommy Cutletz.
Speaker 2: I don't want to go back.
Speaker 3: To that situation and it sounds like a small thing, but here we are in the season and they're trying to win games and they're just stuck between a rock and a hard plates because they got stuck with Drew Locke.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the thing is you want to call for a change, but the change, the option is not there. You're grasping its straws. You know, you are essentially the Miami Dolphins. They lost to a tongue a by loa. You had to go to Skylar Thomas and you get Tyler Huntley off the practice squad in Baltimore, and you knew what those results were going to be.
Speaker 5: They weren't going to be good and they were poor.
Speaker 4: And they're kind of in the same situation now because of the bed that they made, they now have to lie in it and all they have left to do is kind of soldier through the rest of the season. The crazy thing about this is that John Mara already said we're not anticipating changes at coach of GM.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 5: It's something that you say in week seven.
Speaker 4: That's something you say between Week seven and we when there's still a lot of season left to be played and you're playing a primetime game. But after three seasons of this, can you continue forward with the same regime that decided to pay this guy that decided to I mean, they let some rumblings out there in the offseason that maybe they were considering quarterback. I mean, now you're in a hard spot where you kind of need to make a change and there's really no option there. And that's because that's how they set themselves.
Speaker 5: Up for it.
Speaker 4: So it's it's it's pretty dark times for Giants fans. I feel bad for him because they've been stuck in this for a while now. But it starts with selecting Daniel Jones, it continues with paying him and letting Saquon walk, and now you know, you're just forced to kind of grind through it, trudge through it until you see what else is out there.
Speaker 3: I wonder how many years of this it would take me to feel bad for Giants fans.
Speaker 5: No, I'm just kidding.
Speaker 3: Actually, well, I mean I just want them to be respect I want them to be respectable.
Speaker 2: This is miserable. This is miserable.
Speaker 3: Uh they've been They've really been miserable for too long. I know they had a couple of those little pop ups where they they they got into the playoffs with bad teams, one with with Macado and then one a couple of years ago, obviously with Dable, but those were just like they were like those little pop up restaurants that show up in your downtown for like a month, like, oh, that was great, but then it's an empty storefront again like immediately, except like you know, there's like there's like like dirty animals like crawling out of it, and like it's it's unsafe, like the whole it's not good.
Speaker 2: It's not good.
Speaker 3: It's giants, And the analogy fell apart after a while. They are one of ten teams in the NFL right now, this is this is on my radar that have two wins or less. Almost a third in the league is feeling pretty hopeless right now. Out of those two win teams, I think Miami is the only one with even a shred of hope. I guess Cleveland or Jacksonville, if they really wanted to look at the bright side, could maybe find some shred of hope.
Speaker 4: I don't know, there's a lot of hopeless to do. I would probably I don't even feel great about Jacksonville. Trevor Lars has been playing better, but I don't even feel great about it.
Speaker 3: I don't feel great about any of them. Obviously they have two wins. I was just thinking like Miami could convince themselves like yeah, maybe, and they're two and five, whereas most of these are one and six or two and six.
Speaker 2: It's ugly.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you mentioned those Mara quotes where he guaranteed they weren't making a change in season and they said they're not going to plan to in the off season. And I do actually want to mention on the positive side for the Giants, this rookie class is really productive for them. So Tyrone Tracy one hundred and forty five yards, why am I blanking now? On the tight end? Theo Johnson has been making plays each week, playing better and better, Malik Neighbors is an offensive Rookie of the Year candidate, and then their safety Nuban's been playing great like so that's a pretty good combination of rookies. You that's one case to keep Joe Shane around, is that your rookie class is playing pretty well.
Speaker 4: I do think about the fallout from a loss like this, because it is just one more loss, But it's at a point in the season where the trade deadline's coming up. They have guys that they can potentially move. Azizo Jelari has been on a heater lately. He had two sacks tonight. There are teams out there, like the Detroit Lions who need edge rushing help. Does a loss like this convince them that, hey, this is not the year. We're not turning it around, We're not going to make any changes. Let's get some assets back to build toward the future and move him now. I would be very curious to see if they're on the phones this week and potentially move a guy like him.
Speaker 3: I totally agree that we are now what nine eight days out from the trading deadline. Ojalari seems like you could actually get a decent pick for him.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Darius Slayton, there were reports that the Chiefs were interested in him.
Speaker 2: I think that was in the offseason stuff.
Speaker 3: Like you know, it's like every year they try to bench Darius Slayton and he ends up being their best wide receiver. Now they drafted Molik Neighbors, so he's no longer their best wide receiver, but he's like their second best. Depending on how you feel about Wandell Robinson, but all camp he was with the backups, and then they were like, oh yeah, this guy's way better than Jalen Hyatt. Like he's a good NFL receiver. He's a good three, or he's a good four. He's a good starter. He had a big game tonight. You could absolutely trade those guys. Slayton probably wouldn't get that much o. Jalari a young pass rusher, he could get it done. And while I was talking about the rookies, I actually said Tyler Nuban when I was thinking Drew Phillips. Drew Phillips has been awesome. They actually, you know, I have two young players at that position. Nuban's been playing a lot and it's been solid enough. So that's a lot of rookie production. There's something to be happy about Giants. Before we laugh one more time at an emboy racing moment in Giants' history, let's listen to the local call. I have not heard this of the two point attempt when the Giants were down eight in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 6: Giants gold with a swinging gate that got the offensive line all out to the left.
Speaker 5: When they try to throw a wide receiver screen of neighbors.
Speaker 2: Was the all sorry to play.
Speaker 5: The crimmer just rolls across to a lot of the scrimmers.
Speaker 4: You didn't even look like.
Speaker 5: You saw the snap omar blocking.
Speaker 4: The incredulous response tells you everything you need to know. First off, to mention of the swinging gate, which I think back to when the swinging gate made an appearance in Washington game years ago. Uh, that's probably not going to bode well. And then you get that terrible execution, which I'm sure Brian Dable would blame that on bad execution afterward and not the intent. Uh, embarrassing moment for them.
Speaker 3: They had the blockers over there, they did not. I don't know how the ball got snapped so early or what happened. They had that enough blockers over there. It looked a lot like that weird Colts Patriots play. Yeah twenty fifteen the worst you know play ever fake ever. Daniel Jones was so mad after this play. I've never seen Daniel Jones this that. I don't know if he was mad at the coaches for calling the play or more likely for some player for the execution. But no one was on the count of the snap at all. It was totally discombobulated. And yes, I think it was Alex high Smith who broke that up and that was one of the more embarrassing plays of the entire season.
Speaker 2: But a fun call from w f A N. That was Bob Poppa in Carl Banks.
Speaker 3: I actually wanted a little more pathos, a little more just anger of just how on national television they're they're just showing their ass.
Speaker 4: But that was more just it's that, And it's also the whole thing that that has gained a lot of traction recently, which is that you're down you know eight, you go for two so you know what you need later and that sort of thing. I disagree with it. I think you take the extra point. If you want to go for two to take a one point lead late in the game, you do it then. But at least don't force yourself out to go for too little.
Speaker 3: Why if people have such a problem with it, it's fine, No, what is minimize written down eight? Every time when you're saying this, it never affects it, Like, yeah, it could have possibly affected something eventually, but it never did, which is also the most likely outcome. But if you get the two, then you go win the game overtime is a disaster. So if you're a team like the Giant, you try to win the game and you could have gotten the two. Who cares they never even.
Speaker 4: Had the I really really wanted Daniel Jones to lead a potential game time touchdown drive just so they had to go for two, just so I could prove my point that, oh, look, now you have to go for it.
Speaker 2: Then if they got it, then you would have just been quiet. If they got it, it would have been proven the point.
Speaker 5: Again, it's just an odds thing.
Speaker 3: Let's not live in our fears, even if Daniel Jones. Let's not live in our fears. All right, let's take a break because I fear this show being two hours long, and we're going to do some news and our players of the week on the other side back on NFL Daily, and yes, we will do some news with you, Shook before letting you off into the Cleveland night where you'll be watching some what games on the docket. You're crazy because it's almost one am in Cleveland and you like knocking out these QB indecks watches.
Speaker 4: Before you know, Greg, I'm a creative and my best hours are between midnight and three thirty in the morning, and I also have six games left in the dockets, so we got to make some moves here if we want to get.
Speaker 2: Okay, what's the game? What do you go first? What's the strategy?
Speaker 3: You save like the best games for late because they're sleepy or it's harder to focus. So let's knock out the ones you're not excited as about as much.
Speaker 4: I usually save one of the best games for absolutely last, but we do grind through a couple of decent games. So we try to knock out like I knocked out Tennessee.
Speaker 2: Just just answer answer the question, what's next? You haven't decided.
Speaker 4: We got Chicago Washington on deck, We got Gufflo Seattle, we got Carolina Dendro, and we got Indy.
Speaker 3: He watched Carolina Denver, which I would have thought would have been one of the worst games before, right before Monday night football.
Speaker 2: You know Bo Nicks throwing the ball down the field. Bryce Young.
Speaker 3: I actually was like, you know what, I know that those two fourth quarter interceptions. But he looked better. He looked at least more like the Bryce Young of the last month of last season, which had work to do, but looked like an NFL player who was at least trying things. He did look like a different player, so I appreciated that. And there were at least three to four good throws, which is like, okay, thanks.
Speaker 5: Those those are the positive vibes that I'll need to carry me to three am.
Speaker 3: Yes, and it wasn't that positive. I mean, this is he like got a fifty six pff, that's all I need. But it's better than like a thirty five. And there were there were positives. All right, Let's get to the news. No screaming headlines on Monday. But I took it as a screaming headline that Shane Stiken, asked twice whether Anthony Richardson would be a starting quarterback this week, said he was evaluating that.
Speaker 2: I took that to mean he's getting benched.
Speaker 3: We have another show that'll go up on Wednesday, Quarterback Island, and if he is bench we have the news. We'll talk about it more in depth there. But I'm just calling my shot that every time a coach says this on Monday, that they're evaluating a change, there's a change.
Speaker 4: I mean, there was a time when Antonio Pierce said he would do that, and then he made the change the next day. He didn't even need the whole week. Look, Joe Flacco has been the better option for them, and I know it sounds crazy, but he has. I mean, he's put up much better numbers. Their offense has been a much better unit with him at quarterback then with Anthony. Richardson struggles with accuracy he did before he got hurt. He did you know before he got hurt last year, He's missing a lot of throws. He finished ten for thirty two. Look, this is a team that's trying to be in the race for the AFC South. They just lost to the Texans for the second time this year. It's perfectly the time to evaluate that when you have a little bit of evidence that Joe Flacco can lift this offense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean he is a franchise quarterback based on his draft pick done. And when you say we're evaluating everything, just asking if this guy's starting, to me, that means he's not starting. I think the matchup Sunday Night Football against Brian Flores, I think that could inform it too that maybe that is not the spot for him. I have some thoughts that Richardson wasn't as nearly as bad as I expected. Actually, I thought he played The interception was so bad, but I thought he played well in the second half of that game. But I also agree with everything you said, maybe similar to Russell Wilson justin Field's conversation, the offense just clearly runs better with Joe Flacco. So I don't think it's a big deal if you bench him and bring him back in three.
Speaker 5: Weeks about many football games. It's just about many football games, right.
Speaker 3: But he also Joe Flacko was not starting the rest of the season. I think just accept that, like it's not going to be some magical carpet, right, and he's not going to just keep on starting forever, I guess unless he just wins every game and stays healthy. But I don't expect that to happen. Let's let's move on to another coach that used to be in Indianapolis, Matt Eberflus.
Speaker 2: He spoke about.
Speaker 3: Tyreek Stevenson, Oh, Tyreek Stevenson and his misadventures on that final Hail Mary.
Speaker 6: We just got to do a better job at executing, you know, on the defensive side of the wall the Hail Mary, you know, and and the setup for us is just have a body on a body. We're picking guys up down the field. And again we just talked about that, you know, in the team meeting. You know, Tyreek's got to do a good job of putting his body on eighty five and boxing him out. And you know, we always got to do good job with that. And KB was the guy that was going to knock.
Speaker 5: The ball down.
Speaker 2: Bus me.
Speaker 3: Uh, Tyreek Stevenson, I don't I don't blame Maddie Reflus, but he volunteered that without directly being asked. Tyreek Stevenson's assignment on the Hail Mary was specifically.
Speaker 2: Covering Noah Brown.
Speaker 3: So if you wondered why was there a guy just sitting wide ass open in the end zone, there you go. If we didn't think it was bad enough for Tyreek Stevenson before that information, man.
Speaker 4: Well it's hard to get to that guy when you're spending the first three seconds of the snap near the opposing sideline taunting and then have to double back and figure out what's going on. I mean, we saw him by the end of it. He was just running toward the crowd instead of being on a guy, and.
Speaker 3: He amazingly like recovered in time to you know, go hit the hit the ball away. But he was just totally scrambled perfectly, and it was crazy.
Speaker 2: It was like a kid just.
Speaker 3: Getting called out by a parent in the middle of doing something bad and being like, oh no, oh no, what is happening?
Speaker 2: And man, everyone buried him. His teammates kind of buried him.
Speaker 3: He spoke publicly, I under you know, to not publicly privately to his team and addressed it and apologized.
Speaker 2: And that's a tough one. I do like eber Fluce though.
Speaker 3: If you on the YouTube, just he's got the hair working in front of the bears drop back on the on the zoom.
Speaker 2: I like it all.
Speaker 3: And I think Stevenson gave him a little bit of cover for playing such soft defense to even set up that hail Mary never rushed three shout out to in the play before, just to kind of give him fifteen yards to the sideline to set it up.
Speaker 2: Shout out to Patrick Claybahn.
Speaker 3: We tape those Sunday night shows right after those games end, so it was a mad dash to start that show with all the information. And when he brought that whole Stevenson thing up mid show, I that was the first I had heard of it, of him even bringing it up because and next thing, I know, that is the biggest story in the league. Just some other small Bears news. Braxton Jones is week to week with an injury, so their offensive line could have some issues. I'm gonna give you some more sound, Nick Schuok. I'm gonna give you Sean Payton responding to the Panthers not being had that he was running.
Speaker 2: Up the score.
Speaker 7: Hey, coach, after the game, a number of Panthers players that were frustrated felt like you were running.
Speaker 1: I know, I know.
Speaker 5: How do you respond to that?
Speaker 7: Listen, I said it last night. We're trying to finish the game the right way. We're not trying to run up the score on anyone. It's the National Football League. I've been in games with a twenty eight point lead in the fourth quarter and lost. So we're trying to finish. The Burton throw from Sutton is trying to continue a drive. Played better.
Speaker 5: Ooh, play better?
Speaker 2: Oh, Spice. I mean he's right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, But.
Speaker 3: You know q Q Will Ferrell like, I don't believe you, Like it's like you are trying to run up the score.
Speaker 2: It's fine, there.
Speaker 3: I don't know what is between those two he didn interview with Caroline a few years ago.
Speaker 2: But I don't know that.
Speaker 3: I don't know what's between something going on there. But you're trying to run up the score. If it was like one of your favorite coaches, like one of your friends in the league. On the other side, I don't I do not think you was going to do that. Not only did he do the fake field goal up twenty eight seven, early fourth This is fresh in my mind because I just watched the game, but that, you know, Mike the pass from the full back. He said, we're trying to continue a drive. It was like under four minutes to go and they're up twenty eight seven and they're in scoring range, like.
Speaker 2: You are trying to run it up. That's fine. I get why you don't want to own it. I love it. Do play better. It is the NFL, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you don't want the score run up on you, yeah, play better. I'm glad he ended it that way because it was kind of like a backhand way of saying, yeah, I was making a point like I wasn't just trying to finish a drive. Play better if you don't want that to happen to you.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 3: We got some good news on the Packers injuries from Sunday, and Love, according to Ian Rapaport, our insider, does not have a serious growing injury. There's a chance he could miss this week's game against the Lions, but just reading between the lines, it's going to be day to day and sounds like there's some hope that he could play. It's interesting because he suffered the injury in the first quarter first series. I thought he threw the ball pretty well while he was out there, but it eventually became too much for him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you could tell he was limited.
Speaker 4: A lot of his game is pocket navigation, extending the play using his athleticism, and it just wasn't there. It affected some of his throws, but for the most part he was still there, but he couldn't operate the offense at the level that they wanted to. So when he aggravated it further and sit onto the sideline, it was it was for the best verybody. I think he kind of knew that in that moment where he was like, look, man, I'm not at one hundred percent and I'm hurting us right now, so make the change.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Malik Willis came in and got it done. More on that a little later. That's what it's called the tease. Jay r Alexander their cornerback, who to me, there's a big drop off at cornerback for them if he is out. Also got an MRI on his knee. He got hurt on that last offensive play for Jacksonville, the touchdown by Evan Ingram. And it's also not supposed to be serious. It's going to be day to day. Sounds like he has a chance to play this week.
Speaker 2: We'll see.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately that's not the case for Christian Kirk. He has a broken collar bone. He is out for the season. Brian Thomas their offensive Rookie of the Year candidate in a world where Jade Daniels doesn't exist. I just realized, I said, Malik Neighbors is a candidate. But they do that thing you remember since at NFL Honors they do this thing where the nominees show up right, Yeah in that weird because it's just a vote, and so they say the nominees I guess this is true of all awards things, but the vote was like three weeks before that. They like, if if the three nominees are forty eight votes, one vote, one vote. It's like they're inviting all three guys and I guess you just don't find out.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think about it like the Grammys, Like Tyler the Creator released flower Boy and had no real shot of winning the Album of the Year because Kendrick Lamar released an album that year, but he was nominated, and you can still say, hey, I was nominated.
Speaker 5: That's still like second place. That's still you know, worth highlighting.
Speaker 3: I mean, you never know what the Grammy is something, although in that they that wouldn't be the case, like Tyler the Creator is not the one that they're gonna give it to. But we've seen some pretty wild like rap category Grammys victories, what's his name?
Speaker 2: You know who I'm thinking?
Speaker 5: I mean Killer Mike won it last year, which is a great album.
Speaker 2: Let's not what you're getting you expect.
Speaker 4: No, it was a great album, but it was not a name that you would necessarily expect on an annual basis.
Speaker 2: Let's move on.
Speaker 3: Will I try to think of the rapper that everyone is screaming into their telephone, the White rapper Brian Thomas is Ribs Ribs injury day to day. It sounds like it's just a bruise and that there's a chance he could play through it. They have the Eagles this week. That game was gonna be on Sunday Night Football, but they flexed it out. It's the Doug Peterson revenge game versus the organization that fired him.
Speaker 5: I'm pissed, Angelo, Will you rethinking logic?
Speaker 2: No, this is so annoying.
Speaker 3: Just let's move on to the next story while and then I'll throw it to you and then I'll google it and it'll take two seconds. We've gotten great trades the last couple of weeks. How do you like josh Uch to the Chiefs for a twenty twenty six sixth rounder. Josh Ucha is an edgeresher that has only played with the New England Patriots so far in his career.
Speaker 5: And now he's on a different team.
Speaker 4: This is one of those like the latest move to ship a guy out of New England in an I guess a relatively dark year. They just came off a win, but I think he was kind of phased out of the action there. They already moved on for Matjudan to be in the year. I mean, I'm not saying that this goes back to the soft comments. But it is interesting that you take, you know, a six round pick for a guy that was part of your rotation at some point kind of falling out of favor. But it's a new era on New England. They're not afraid to make trades and they're not afraid to ship guys out when they indeed it necessary. And hopefully I've filed enough time for you to find the answer.
Speaker 2: Thank you. It was Maclamore. Of course, it was over Kendrick Lamar. That's the thing. It was over good Kidnet City twenty twelve. Oh no, twenty fourteen, that.
Speaker 5: Was that was a time shop.
Speaker 2: Oh no, it's an all timer.
Speaker 5: Seattle rejoices. In the rest of the world cringes.
Speaker 3: I don't even think Seattle was because ultimately it was like kind of an anvil that he had to wear around his neck, like it would have been better off if he just hadn't won it just for him and for everyone else. Good move by the way by the Chiefs, like why not? But also like Patriots fans, I saw you only got a sixth for josh ucc Like Joshucci wasn't making any impact on this team and wasn't making any impact on last year's team. I've always thought he's a good like he has such burst that there should be a way to use him, and he had. He was awesome in twenty twenty two, but ultimately he was under Belichick for you know, three years there and only one of them was really productive. Or four years under Belichick and only one of them was productive.
Speaker 5: So it is what it is.
Speaker 3: It also wouldn't surprise me if you know, he plays seventeen snaps a game for the Chiefs and ends up having like a huge moment in the AFC Championship, because that's what's what like great teams do. It's like what the Patriots used to do too. But you weren't getting anything out of him, so he was barely even playing at this point. Dave Canalis is unsure if Bryce Young will start this week because Dalton is not healthy. So he's basically saying, if Dalton is healthy, then he's going back to him. And I get it, because the fourth quarter Bryce Young threw a couple of interceptions.
Speaker 2: Is too bad.
Speaker 3: He didn't quite play well enough to make the strong case, even though I did think it was significantly better than the first couple of weeks.
Speaker 4: Just throws a wrench into our whole theory that they're going to move on from Bryce Young because Dandy Dalton's not available. I think he throws a wrench into their plan as well, where they're forced to play him and we are approaching the trade deadline. But we'll see. That's something to monitor. It's not like Dalton's light in the world on fire. In fact, he's regressed significantly since that first start when they won over the Raiders. But this is a bad football team that's just kind of trying to get to the end of the season and figure out what they have. And then includes a quarterback.
Speaker 3: Make it happen, Dolphins fifth round pick that turns into a fourth who says no. Dk Metcalf is expected back this week. There's optimism. That's a big NFC West game, that's a four to twenty five game against the Rams.
Speaker 2: That's fun. Derek Carr is expected back this week for the Saints.
Speaker 3: They're not making any other big wholesale changes with coaches or front off as they're just hoping to scrape back into it. They're actually playing the Panthers this week, so they will be favored in a game. It's been a while for the Saints.
Speaker 2: Some other injuries.
Speaker 3: Jeremiah Husu Cormoa said that all is well on his social media. I know it was a scary injury Nick that he had to spend the night in a hospital after he hurt his neck on Sunday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they backboarded him very quickly, took the face mask off, the helmet, and card him off on replay. I was very concerned for his well being. Kind of one of those hits where you can see the rest of his body go limp and he's very away as if he was concussed. So I was very concerned. It's positive news to hear that all as well. Having said that, don't expect him back on the field anytime soon. We'll wait for more details later though.
Speaker 3: Speaking of guys who are bawling out as possible trade pieces, Zadarius Smith is playing very well right now. If the Browns wanted to pull that repcord, who knows, maybe they'll win another game and they'll be like, hey, this season's not over.
Speaker 2: We have a quarterback.
Speaker 5: Now win ten straight.
Speaker 3: Some Dolphins in jury news, Javon Holland, their safety had an injury that did not look good on Sunday, but they say the worst case scenario has been avoided and sounds like he's week to week. They didn't actually put an official ignation on him, so we'll see.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 3: Mike McDaniel did say, Bradley Chubb, if you've been wondering about him, the great pass rusher is still a long way off. So sounds like his recovery from another major knee injury is really taken a long time. And that is it for news and that means Nick, it is time for Captain's Corner, presented by Captain morganst the part of the show where we pick one player could be, could be a coach. There's no rules to this thing. That just that struck your fancy, that deserves the captaincy.
Speaker 4: Oh well, I didn't realize the coaches were in play. Having said that we are, we're going to go to the guy who said I believe it was unwavering, faith, full belief, something along those lines. He made like a kind of awkward pregame interview with Amanda valley Onis from CBS, not because I've heard of but because he just gave her the same response to every question Jameis Winston. What a day for the quarterback in Cleveland. Of course I'm gonna go with him. Breathes life into it and all that had been dormant, if not on life support for most of the season. Throw us for three thirty four and three touchdowns, including a go ahead touchdown the final minute of the game to Cedric Tillman, a guy that nobody probably ever heard of before Sunday unless.
Speaker 5: You're a Browns fan.
Speaker 4: If anything, in this city when it pertains to the Browns, everybody here had given up on them for at least one week. I got text from friends that said, we are so back. They're not back, but for one Sunday they had some fun and that's worth a spot on Captain's corner.
Speaker 3: Hey, it's it's not all bad. Browns win. Calves are four and oh nice win over there, Nicks on Monday night. That's a good team. Wouldn't surprise me if they're in the Eastern Conference finals something like that.
Speaker 5: Let's book it.
Speaker 3: I don't know how the Guardians feel about the Yankees, but I would imagine they're happy that they're tell you.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you after the Calves game on Friday night, I went over to a bar in downtown Cleveland and watched the World Series, and they as soon as Freddy Freeman hit that walk off, that place erupted like the Guardians did it.
Speaker 5: They're very much rooty against the Yankees.
Speaker 3: Okay, I would assume as someone who would for a team that was, you know, does root for to the rivals, the the Yankees.
Speaker 2: Now, of course I'm a Dodgers fan.
Speaker 3: We I'm a lifelong Dodgers fan since March and uh since Atani joined and look, my wife's much more into it. But I really appreciate the professionalism of Eric Roberts and Randy Chavez and them going up three to zero no matter what. This is the last Dodgers versus NFL daily show. So as great as the production has been, Eric, why don't you join us now? As great as the production has been, like, how much is it gonna get even better now that this dog is running?
Speaker 9: I wanted to watch two different things. I was pretty stoked when this when the schedule for the World Series came out because it was what a Friday, Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, Yes, and I in the back of my head, I noted, all right, well, this is the only combative scheduling I have to deal with.
Speaker 3: It's the only one. And they played. They played great tonight. So congrats to all the Dodgers fans out there. It has been a great series so far. You don't don't want to assume anything, but three to zero is nice. And they're playing some confident baseball. You know what else is confident? We're still in the captain's corner. By the way, we can have baseball talk there. Matt Laflir, I guess I am opening up two coaches this week. Let's listen to Matt Lafleur talk about that great throw that Malik Willis had to Jaden Reid with under two minutes to go to set up the Packers victory over the Jaguars and how it came about.
Speaker 8: Not only was it a can play, but it was a play that we didn't even have up in the game plan that we we talked about it on Tuesday. We thought there might be something there, decided against it, and then you know, we ran the keeper earlier in the game and Vrabel suggested it. He's like, hey, it looks like the play is there, and so we put it in on the sideline, so no reps in practice. I think that's a big time credit to our guys to be able to go out there and execute it. Jaden Reid, Tucker, the line, the backs, everybody's selling it, and then ultimately Elite making the throw. So that was a pretty cool one, probably one I'll never forget.
Speaker 3: That is an awesome explanation. Everyone everyone's the captain here. We're giving so many captaincies. Lafleur, great explanation. I think it was Rob Dmofski who asked that question. Great questions get great great answers, because he asked, was that like a can play where he saw how at the last second he saw a certain look that was gonna make it happen? Shout out to I believe it's Jason Rabel, the wide receivers coach, who helped put.
Speaker 2: The play in in the middle of the game.
Speaker 3: And then most importantly Malik Willis for throwing a beautiful ball, Jayden Reid for throwing I mean for running a really cool out Lafleur or Vrabel whoever drew it up where it's a great kind of leak concept where read looks like he's gonna block and then it's like a wheel route from your wide receiver. Just very creative, very cool, and that's coaching. And I love how Lafleur said, Yeah, that's one I'm gonna remember for the rest of my life because I.
Speaker 2: Think that's that's like coaching Nirvana. Having to play like that that you drew up in the middle that wins the ballgame for Yeah.
Speaker 4: If you ever wonder why there's football stickos out there like Greg and myself and many others, this is why. It's not just that the action on the field is entertaining, or that it's a very physical, at times brutal sport.
Speaker 5: It's the chess match in the game.
Speaker 4: It's the way that staffs can work together, identify weaknesses and potential exploits during the game, then come back to them in crucial moments, capitalize and win games because of it.
Speaker 5: That's the beauty of the sport of football.
Speaker 2: Right there, Good stuff, Nick Shook.
Speaker 3: That was the Captain's Corner, presented by Captain Morgan's delicious and Chris perfect for game day with friends.
Speaker 2: Spice it up.
Speaker 3: Visit Captain Morgan dot com to a Captain near you. Please drink responsibly. That is it for our Monday night show. We will be back on Wednesday. Been teasing it all week long. Quarterback Island, Jordan Rodrieg, Steve Weisch, Colleen Wolf will join me on that show. And yes, yeah, thank you for joining me Nick Nick at nights, Sunday Nights, Monday nights, each and every week. Can't wait to have you on again later. And yeah, when Daniel Jones is losing in primetime and then Steelers are winning on Monday Night, yeah, you know football is truly back