Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to Season three twenty six, Episode five, the finale, the grand finale of.
Speaker 2: Dir Dally's Guys.
Speaker 1: Season three twenty six. It's a production by Heart Radio. It's a podcast you guys heard about the Easy These where we take a deep dive into America share consciousness. And it is Friday, February twenty third, twenty twenty four, three two four.
Speaker 2: And also it's National Skip the Straw Day, which in the beginning I was like, Oh, what fucking company's telling us to do. Apparently it was middle school students in Whitehall, Michigan who first started it, but again they ingested the they were indoctrinated with the propagandas if it's our fault that we're polluting the things with plastics, not the industries. Anyway. It's also National Tile Day, so shout out to tiles you like a nice hand made tile, National Dog Biscuit Day, and National Banana Bread Day. Really boring ship today. Sorry, I wish there was something cooler to say, like bana bread.
Speaker 1: Sometimes it's just National Banana Bread Day, and that's all you can do is I have a question on her banana bread.
Speaker 2: When was the first time you tried a dog biscuit because that's what every kid does at some point.
Speaker 1: We didn't have dogs growing up. My little sister was scared of dogs, so we didn't. When the first time when I had a pet as an adult, the first time, yeah, it was the second the second I got my hands on some dog food and I was like, God, I love you so much and I'm feeding you this. I'm gonna eat it too, out of solidarity. Yeah, And that didn't go well. Dog food tastes bad, yeah, yeah to humans maybe two dogs. He seemed to like our food better as well. Exactly how about you? How early are you? Like?
Speaker 2: For I remember, and like it wasn't because we didn't. I didn't have a dog at the time. We only had a cat, and like at that, for whatever reason, a dog biscuit seemed more interesting to me than like wet cat food. And I remember my mom took me to like her friend's house and I fucking humiliated her because I was begging the person there who had a dog for a dog tree. Yeah, and she was like, oh heed all trips too, dude. I had a fucking fit. I was like, I want a dog treet. The fuck up man, what the fuck is going on? And you're like, I need this. Shit tasted like shit, and she was like, yeah, you're happy now, now humiliated and you have a mouthful of grain or whatever the shit was. But yeah, anyway, four years old, I remember there you go.
Speaker 1: All right. Well, my name is Jack O'Brien aka.
Speaker 3: Sometimes Miles fills my space. Sometimes the ads get in the way. Sometimes my hands feel out of place. You'll never hear me far from gray.
Speaker 2: I can taste a spot to May dude and thatur Man to me Jack and Miles on t DZ. My I can.
Speaker 1: Taste a spot to May that has heart to see a mister do it less on the DIA board.
Speaker 2: Fucking Jonathan in the building from Corn Corn.
Speaker 1: I didn't like funck with corn growing up, so I was like, really listening to that song for the first time today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it kind of goes.
Speaker 1: When he's doing like the weird scatting.
Speaker 2: Yeah whatever, that is almost as good as Kim controls scatting, Almost as good as you know we can.
Speaker 1: But you can tell that it's not like he's directly referencing Kim Contrels scatting, but you can tell that it exists in a world where he has heard where well people he knows have heard otrel scatting. But yeah, referencing some of my superpowers being able to differentiate diet soda from regular and taste a spart.
Speaker 2: To me, that's easy.
Speaker 1: Some of my weaknesses not knowing what to do with my hands, which a big moment for people who don't know what to do with their hands. With Mark Zuckerberg this weekend, I don't know if you guys saw the video of him and the Octagon. He like went in to the Octagon with like a UFC fighter that he trains with, and he there's just a moment of just pure I guess. People are like passing things around, Like the guy's corner, people are like passing things around in front of him, and he's like trying to reach out to like get like help them maybe, And it's just every moment of my teens and early twenties, like it just concentrated down into this one televised experience.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, this is so fucking awkward. This is the one where he's wearing a tracksuit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's like badly popping along to the music.
Speaker 2: Oh no, dude, he was like he's that thing where like you're clearly someone is handing something to someone else, and you try and act as if you were like part of that chain of events where you're like, oh, yeah, okay, just touch his pocket. What I do with it? Yeah, those slippers.
Speaker 1: Touches the Yeah, so we're watching it. Put the hand, puts hand back, he touches the pocket. So this is the thing that we've all done people who don't know what to do with their hands, is you touch your pockets frequently, but you don't like go fully committed into the.
Speaker 2: Pocket because because then you think about You're like, is this a fucking time to have my hands in my pockets? No, I'm it's weird.
Speaker 4: That's why I'm so obsessed with meta. He wants to invent. He just wants to create a virtual reality reality character that does exactly what.
Speaker 1: No hands. Yeah, I can't put my hands in my pockets. They're gonna think I'm jernking off.
Speaker 2: You know, I want to drink off right now.
Speaker 1: It is the most related, like the most I've ever related to Mark Zuckerberg. It was, Yeah, it's it's very uncomfort Well, we'll link off to it in the footnotes. I am thrilled to be joined as always by my co host mister Miles grass.
Speaker 2: Hey, it's mister Miles Gray aka oh shit, I lost it. Oh here it is AKA today I didn't even have to use my acorn. I gotta say it was a good day. Obviously, in reference to that horrible fucking example of why we don't need police where an acorn fell in a squad car and the guy thought he was being shot at and then indiscriminately fired a bunch of rounds into his fucking squad car where a man was handcuffed. Luckily that guy was not home. Shit, dude, it's the wildest thing. He's in the car, a fucking acorn hits serve. He's like shot fired, and he just starts fucking shooting up the squad car with this dude inside who had no fucking gun. And then afterwards, like in the there's like a moment where they're like breaking down what happened. He's like, we believe it's an acorn. He's like acorn. No, and they're like, look, you can see it hit the roof in like from your own body cam. That's what you're responding to.
Speaker 4: Like, how clearly traumatized. These psychos are that Like the slightest noise is like, oh I don't fire immediately.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Also, side note, you crushed the good Day instrumental like I would. I would actually listen to you do that.
Speaker 2: No, thank you.
Speaker 1: Achapella. Well, Miles was in his college a cappella group and just doing tupac cockapella.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no cockupella cock yeah. Yeah, oh yeah, got it.
Speaker 1: You guys all jerked off together like the Yeah, exactly exactly like the greats do Miles. We are thrilled to be joined in our third seat by a very funny comedian and improviser whose comedy special Spiritually Filthy, is both hilarious and sexually charged. Go check it out.
Speaker 2: It's more Yeah.
Speaker 4: Good here, dude, Thanks for having me, you guys.
Speaker 2: Oh man, good to have you, to have you. How's that water?
Speaker 4: That water taste so good, taste so good. I love cold ice water myself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's got to have ice, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Middle Ages, I gotta have a couple of cubes in.
Speaker 2: There, just to let you know, just to anchor yourselves country before the guy comes down off the mountain with the glacier. Yeah, I hear you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well more, it's what it's wonderful to have you back. Where Where are you coming to us from again?
Speaker 4: Los Angeles, Los Angeles, Yeah, beautiful Culver City.
Speaker 1: Okay, So that that it was a good day. Instrumental spoke especially to you because you are one with the environment of West Coast hip hop.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I am.
Speaker 4: You can tell by looking at me.
Speaker 2: I am. Oh. Yeah, it's coming out of your pores. Amazing.
Speaker 1: Well, we're gonna get to know you a little bit better in a moment. First, we're gonna tell our listeners a couple of the things we're talking about today.
Speaker 2: We're gonna just take.
Speaker 1: A look at the biden as old conversation. These these guys are old conversation.
Speaker 2: We'll talk.
Speaker 1: We'll tell some good news about how Los Angeles is making the city more spongy, which I was not aware that was the goal, but it is. And uh it's well, we'll talk about why that's helpful.
Speaker 2: Spongeborthy, we're spongeborthy.
Speaker 1: All of that plenty more. But first, mort we do like to ask our guest, what is something from your search history? Man?
Speaker 4: I will tell you I'm such a nerd for skateboarding. That almost my whole search history generally is filled with new skateboard information.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 4: I think that's maybe the most unrelatable thing an adult man can say. But that's just the reality of the situation.
Speaker 2: I grew up in LA in the nineties and two thousands. So what do you mean, like you're looking at new just skaters?
Speaker 1: New? Is the search legitimately just skateboard information?
Speaker 2: Google fresh Fresh?
Speaker 4: I should tell you, I am. I'm sorry that I'm always looking for I always google something slash information. No, there's a new primitive video out I was watching. It's good, couple of new I just see skate video parts usually, So there's a new primitive video that just came out that I was watching.
Speaker 2: What's like? Okay? So, I like, I remember I used to watch a bunch of toy machine videos, Burn House Girl all that in the nineties. I feel like it peaked with Yeah, right in two thousand and three that Spike Jones one. Is there any like for someone who stopped watching skate videos? Then what should I watch now?
Speaker 4: Oh? Man? Such a huge well, let's see, great question. I will actually say the last primitive video that came out it's not bad. It's three new amps. We don't have a Spike Jones today. I don't think there's nobody like his. Shit's so creative and fun. Weekend the company called Weekend. They put out some pretty good, like sketch based stuff, Okay, and then like they just came out with the last static video probably, which is this really good series by this dude, Josh Stewart. But he's been making videos since like the nineties. You might have you might have seen like Statics three or something. Yeah, yeah, yeah, good Bobby Pulio part, good nigh part. So she just put out probably the last of that. So that's a good if you're a nineties dude, check out the newest static video.
Speaker 2: But you'll like it, okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and these are videos of people like doing six ship.
Speaker 2: Yeah this sick ist shit dude Owen Wilson fucking killing it bro or was it?
Speaker 1: I don't know, I remember that back in the day.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, I think I mean yeah, right, was like the video that like I would make like women I was dating watching.
Speaker 1: Like, yo, don't know why you kept getting dumped?
Speaker 2: Yeah, next thing, you know, Hey, you want to meet up for lunch? At Chipotle. Yeah, I gotta go. Oh but but it wasn't the part with the invisible deck. That shit was pretty cool, right, No?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, look, and honestly, in your defense, that's not a bad way to say, like, hey, are you down? Do you like cool shit?
Speaker 5: Or no?
Speaker 4: I mean it's a tasteful video, you know, don't like them watch the whole thing, but show them something fun. It'd be like, are we cool here?
Speaker 2: Right? And then I started showing them c k y videos because there's technically was skating there. They're like, what, no, get out of here. Look, look we we had some swings and misses.
Speaker 1: But I remember being shown that like as a tape that like my friend had like gotten from somebody the like Spike Jones one and and then like a few years later when Jackass came out, being like, oh they made a show out of this.
Speaker 2: Oh like the early early.
Speaker 1: Ones Yeah yeah, early ones?
Speaker 2: Yeahs was like the peak.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was the fun though of that whole situation was getting shit on a tape felt so underground and sick. Yeah, you felt like you were getting a little treasure.
Speaker 2: You know, it's cool exactly, Yeah, because that was like the those that was bit torrent before bit torrent was like I got a fucking ripped VHS copy of this thing that someone else paid for.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sick.
Speaker 1: I still ask teenagers to this day, what if they've got any videotapes and.
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 4: I love that videotape they had. They worked, They had gears. Think about how old that is they utilized gears. That's like, you know that feels like pretty like barely industrialized.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look like ship those things like they broke. It look like they're like made out of like a disassembled fax machine or something. You know, like just like not not technologically advanced in any way. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like the v like the VCR decks were so like varied in performance, like some like if you got the cheap one, it's like you needed a rewinder or else it would take like twenty eight minutes to rewind it.
Speaker 1: The race car rewinder you ever had?
Speaker 2: The Ferrari.
Speaker 1: Who was dad was that into videotapes and it was like, yeah, we're gonna need to we gonna need.
Speaker 2: A couple of those. Actually, it makes me realize, did you ever get yelled at for not rewinding a tape? I remember my mom would be like, you're like you didn't rewind the tape, but because a test movie we rented a Blockbuster and I want to before She's like, now I gotta rewind it, and wait six minutes.
Speaker 4: I worked at Blackbuster and that was there was I think there was a frustrating thing where we had to rewind them or whatever it was. It's like, sir, could you please? We had to ask people, which felt awful. It was like felt like you're, you know, talking to a ten year old, but it was an adult man, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, what be kind? Please rewind? Wasn't that like the fucking the mantra back then? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Corporate like charity, They're just like, come on, please, we really could Our bottom line could really use this. So the week have enough money to tell Netflix to go fuck themselves in tenures more? What is something you think is overrated?
Speaker 4: I'm going whimsical on this one. Or actually no, I'm gonna go whimsical with underrated? Can I go underrated? First?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Whantn't you to?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: What is something you think is underrated?
Speaker 4: Dreams? And I'm just talking about your standard R E M. Middle of the night fighting a giant snake flying over your childhood neighborhood for some reason.
Speaker 1: Dreams you got great dreams.
Speaker 4: Because here's it is psychotic that we don't talk about this that every single night we go like everything's like people are like, hey, how you do, and you're like, I'm doing pretty good, Like pretty good last night, Like you have a second life in the middle of the night that is adherent to neither physics nor time.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: This is you are on the right podcast for this, because we just like go off on twenty minute tangents about how fucking mind blowing.
Speaker 2: It is that we have.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you're like, oh, I'm so well rested after I just got done like fighting Owen Wilson or whatever.
Speaker 1: Crazy. Yeah, just like an experimental work of like animation and like special effect, just like an experimental film that your brain spontaneously created, like out of themes that are happening in your life right now, Like just amazing works of art that are being projected on the inside of your brain every night, and then you wake up and you're like, what was that again?
Speaker 4: You can't write this like customized like Michelle Godrey and Charlie Coffin and yeah, I just came in there and take together a little thematic play for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I had one last night that was me and my my homerool I haven't thought about since like middle school. We got invited to like a really fancy party that we had. Were like we got invited there, Yeah, and the whole dream was figuring out, like like we we went to a store and it was like a Pretty Woman montage where we're trying to figure out what we were gonna wear, and all the corporate eighties movie editing it was. It was more like the setting was It wasn't. It was like I'm sitting there with a glass of champagne like nodding or shaking my head.
Speaker 1: Do you ever like in the middle of your dream, like there's a record scratch and you turn to yourself and you're like, I bet you're wondering how I got here?
Speaker 2: But that was one Yeah, yeah that I remember just waking up like what the fuck was that about. I was just like, I guess just the thing of like are we gonna look bald enough for this party that in our minds was like the I guess met Gala kind of thing. Anyway, Yeah, that's sick, But it wasn't like to your point. It wasn't like fighting a dragon. It was just like you gotta mne have like been really normal or like not fully you know, on the totally whimsical side of things, like you got invited to a party, you need an outfit.
Speaker 4: Those are hilarious too, Those ones that are like I was at the DMV for like three hours last Yeah, just like a lot of standing in line or grocery shopping.
Speaker 1: I A, I lost a rental car last night. In my dream was on like some manner of island vacation. And because I have, you know, had a lifetime of we'll call it problem substance use, like and I haven't you know, I haven't done that stuff in years. But still like my dreams are an opportunity for me to stress out about it. Like you you fucking woke up this morning, you don't know where the rental car is and you got to catch a flight.
Speaker 2: So it was shit together. Man.
Speaker 1: I woke up like emailing my sister being like, hey, you're still on the island. You need to find this white rental car. Do you have any idea where I left it? Well?
Speaker 4: Those are I have the Yeah, I haven't drank in a while, but I'll have every once in a while have like a relapsed dream or whatever where Yeah, like all of a sudden find yourself drunk, like what happened?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 2: No, so good?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's never the fun part.
Speaker 2: It's always just the I crashed Chrysler PACIFICA.
Speaker 1: What is something you think is overrated? All right?
Speaker 4: I hate to do this one, but uh, soup overrated. I'm feeling overrated right now. I was just getting over an illness. I was sick for like a week. First of all, we treat soup like it's medicine, and it's not, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean?
Speaker 4: And I I think so partially, I think I'm bringing in too high expectations for something. I think if I somehow subconsciously I believe if I eat enough soup, I'm gonna be not sick anymore. That's not the case.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: Nothing, do it?
Speaker 4: And then also the other thing about soup. All right, as a member of the manosphere, you know, you can go watch my YouTube videos and why why it's women's fault that you hate yourself?
Speaker 2: You're on Fresh and Fit. That was a sick episode. When they get it, they they.
Speaker 4: Get it that it's everyone else's fault that I'm a wreck, but I I got a man's sized hunger, so I always have to add something. Soup is never there's never enough sustenance. Like I've been putting rice in soup to make it feel like it's more of a meal and that it's good. But then I'm like, this isn't even soup anymore. This is basically I just made chili, you know what I mean. So, like why did I even start out with soup? If I have to add like bread and a bunch of other stuff to make it a full meal.
Speaker 2: You know, you put it just a big loaf of bread in the pot.
Speaker 4: You're like, yeah, yeah, like a half a loaf of sour nough just dumps.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean lagoons. That's the way I make make my soups because I'm the same way. Like there's not a single like calm item at a fast food place, Like I can't just get a combo thing. I'm like, yeah, that's all the food. I mean, Like I always have to add another sandwich or some nugge's or some other shit to feel full, and like so that like that hunger, insatiable hunger, like when I make a soup, I just dump fucking beans and fucking lentils and shit into it. And that's usually.
Speaker 1: I'm eating soup as like the main course of my meal. I am eating way too many croutons in that shit. Yeah, and if they're not creutons available, I feel very disappointed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you need a carb. You got orgic to those those nasty little carbs. I do love soup. But to your initial point about it not being medicine, RFK Junior, as we covered, you know that we are at a low point for vaccination rates, and one of our FK Junior's statements on the measles vaccine was that the measles vaccine is no more effective than chicken soup.
Speaker 2: So yep, yep, I think you might be.
Speaker 1: I think you're right. There was a whole thing in the nineties chicken soup for the soul. We we really treat it like it's medicine, and uh, I don't think that's quite fair. I think it's a very healthy food, especially if it's like made by boiling an entire chicken's body. Like you know, there's old recipes that really work well. Do wonders for you, But not as good as modern medicine.
Speaker 4: I'm sure it's actually it's it's probably from the Middle Ages, and I'm sure then it was like they couldn't believe, oh my god, this is hot. Yeah, it feels like it was like the worst viral. It was the first hot meal. I think that's why I was soup. Yeah.
Speaker 2: First people just burned throats because it's like boiling, and they're like, give me some how Fuck is it it's hot if you're expecting it to be cold. Yeah, exactly. Yeah, that's it's funny that you bring the I just saw this headline in the Washington Post. It said four major nonprofits that rose to prominence during the coronavirus pandemic by capitalizing on the spread of medical misinformation collectively gained more than one hundred and eighteen million dollars between twenty twenty and twenty twenty two. So the anti vax shit was pretty lucrative the last couple of years.
Speaker 1: Where are they spending that money? Like, what are they doing? Probably like campaigns across our public school systems or yeah.
Speaker 2: It's probably like just bullshit obviously, like political spending. And then like any of these groups, I doubt they're really in it for the actual message. Like I'm sure people are just absconding with the money and being like, yeah, this is my this is my boat that I go on.
Speaker 4: It does seem more and more like the worse it is for people, the better it is for capitalism kind of. Yeah, yeah, transacture for at least a handful of capitalists.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, all right, Well.
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick break and we'll come back and talk about the news. We'll be right back, and we're back. And so some people are starting to say that Joe Biden is old. I guess, and I don't know the shame them, I mean Trump, I guess like said something like that. Now, this is the main point of discussion around the presidential race. If you had told me that these were going to be the two candidates four years ago, I would have told you that the main point of conversation would be this. You know that they are both old mathematically speaking, But the way the media is covering it seems to be like they they want to catch them like physically stumbling. They want to like see them like stumble, or like it looks like Biden pooped his pants. That's like it's it's some high school burn book ass shit. Seems to be the way that they're covering this as opposed to like, what are the actual consequences of him? What are we saying having been raised in a different time with different challenges.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's like it's like this narrow framing of people's discontent around the options for president they basically has allowed especially Joe Biden's allies, to respond with pretty like elementary defenses, which is like, he's actually very sharp. He is so detail oriented. Yeah, he has his head in the game. And like, while his age and I think cognition are definitely valid concerns for voters, I think it misses the larger point that many voters who are not senior citizens are actually trying to get at. It's that he is old and ideologically out of touch to deal with the challenges of our modern world. And I think when we just focus on the old part, all it has to be like, dude, this dude, this dude is like six pushups and eats a breakfast burrito. What the fuck are you talking about? Yeah, and we're like what we really need is like when it comes to things like climate change, you know, like you know, many people have praised the Inflation Reduction Act for its ambitious goals, although many people would also argue that it was sort of the bare minimum. Given like what's at stake with our earth?
Speaker 1: And Trump had won, I think we would have actually seen what the bare minimum was.
Speaker 2: But yeah, bare minimum would have been like just fucking just everyone's rolling cold in the opposite, every school bus would be like legally obliged to it.
Speaker 4: Turns out mad Max vehicles or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly doubling down on making Morton Joe like part of his cabinet.
Speaker 2: But like like right so right now, like the Bids administration, they just walked back their own emissions goals from the IRA in order to placate the big three auto makers as GM Ford, Stilantis. And was the issue that it was too ambitious? No, because these companies were just complaining about this at which they would have to modernize and not sell currently, Like if you look at what these companies offer, they're like gigantic, overpriced, inefficient vehicles. When if then if you're talking like is it about emissions, is it about what's doing what is best for the environment? Do we need to sort of rethink what we what kind of a car is best suited for this? And I think other people point at the polling in Michigan right now, it's looking pretty shit for Biden, so they figure, look, let's let's get let's help out. Let's create some warm, fuzzy feelings in Michigan. Maybe that will help us get across the line in November. And so you're like kind of left looking, like, so does Biden want to like modernize and improve the auto industry or does he actually want to curb greenhouse gas emissions? Because I think most people who look at the climate crisis are like, we have to curb the it's the fucking emissions we need to fucking get a handle on and how we look at these things. And if it's the latter, if it's about emissions, then shouldn't we be talking more about like fucking better mass transit and things like bike lane. But like, again, we can do we can't both.
Speaker 1: But I used to have lunch with strom Thurmond and yeah, exactly, I'm the great compromiser man.
Speaker 2: But like he again, he just wants to maintain the status quo of like ignoring the degradation of the planet and like that's fine, but like sort of give us these warm fuzzy feelings like well, you know, maybe I get these car manufacturers to do this thing. That sort of misses the point. And when you roll back the emissions, that sends a bad message to the younger people who will have to inherit this earth. And like another example, right, the genocide that's happening in Gaza, where people are facing starvation. Biden ignores the polling that shows that a significant majority of his own voters want an immediate cease fire. He would rather again just preserve the old ways, blindly armed like blindly arming like a homicidal regime, and keep arms manufacturers happy in groups like APAC from putting money against him. And meanwhile, this is causing him to hemorrhage support with like younger voters or the people that pretty that power political campaigns, like you need young people to get behind your political campaign to have any kind of ground game or success there. And the reason why a lot of people are like put off by this again, it's because we see that like these are this is the old way of doing things, and we see that what the status quo has given us inequality, continue depression, of marginalized people and a planet that is telling us every single day that we need to do something different fast, And the mainstream media just talks around these issues by just hammering home they like this guy as old as shit talking point, and we're not like actually giving voice to the real issues that sort of underpin this observation. So if the conversation is he is not equipped to contend with the existential threats and understand that America in twenty twenty four is actually quite diverse, then the defenses are going to have to actually talk about policy. So right now, it's just about like I said, can he do a jump rope? Can he do jump rope really good? And does he does he know? Does he remember who was in the monkeys? And if you want people to see someone as not being old at the very least, you can show that with policy that shows you know what younger people than you are concerned with, and don't just be like like, well the other guy's fucking old too, and he's a fascist. And that's what I think is driving a lot of things, Like we have real fucking problems. So like, while a lot of people are talking about the age thing, I think the discussion misses that what that entails, it's that we are looking at all these like and we're in an omni crisis and we need real, sort of substantive solutions that feel markedly different than what's going on, and that you know, right right now, the administration just announced like a one point two billion in student depth relief will be forgiven for around one hundred and fifty thousand people. That is objectively a good thing. But those are the kinds of things that this administration can do that doesn't really require risking the kind of political cash that like getting tough with oil and gas industries or the military industrial complex would. And I don't know, like when I think about it too, like we're just looking at what the perspective is of this president or being or telling like people who are concerned with like earth death or where our tax dollars are going or what we're enabling with our tax dollars. It just feels like he's like, look, it's it'll be okay, it'll be okay. You guys are just overblowing it. But like I was recently like with some older family members, and they all said some version like when we were talking about like oh God, what's going on in this country? There's all some version of well, I'm glad that I'm at the tail end of my life because I can't imagine how tough times are going to be for you and your kids, you know what I mean, you know, And I feel Biden embodies this perspective like he is legislating as if he won't have to deal with the ramifications of his own policies and expects those of us that will that it's it's not that bad, it's not that bad, and being really dismissive. And I think that's just the thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is the thing that we see repeatedly with generations as they age out, and they're always despairing for the following generation. They're always like, your problems are intractable because we did our best and we're amazing, so this is fucked Like, there's no way you're gonna come up with something. The reality of the situation is the younger people are generally, you know, smarter and have more flexible minds and have like better perspective to attack these problems and new ways that the elderly aren't able to think about. And they're also not able to even like conceive that those possibilities are are possible, you know. And so it's just such a uniquely bad time for us to be stuck in this eddy of you know, forward progress where it's a you know, be in the same way that all the money is being trapped by the people who already have all the money, all the power is being trapped by all the people who have all the power up until the time that they're dead and can no longer continue to acquire power. It's just a system that is you know, designed, like they there were very specific things in place, like this was a known thing that like when you have this system, you have to guard against a gerontocracy, Like that's a very real problem. And yeah, slowly they just managed to kind of edit all of that stuff out of the narrative and out of history so that people are now just like, hey, wait a second, how these people get so old?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And I feel and I think it's also endemic of like the society generally moving left as it does. Right, It's like the more we learn and the more we become educated, you know what I mean. Environmentalism was not really a thing like one hundred and fifty years ago, and now it's like a very serious concern. Right. So it's like so when the you know, under generation is just naturally more left, it's kind of horrifying that, like what when we see what we considered what the government considers to be left, it's actually pretty fucking central, like you're saying, being sort of owned by big oil in the military industrial complex. It's like somewhat horrifying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it was, it was you know, environmentalism was a thing with like you know, native civilizations and stuff. They had a grasp on it. But it's yeah, it's certainly shifted very far right to a place of just like resource extraction.
Speaker 4: They didn't have to contend like Western colonial exploitation. Yeah, it's just they just call that being alive. Yeah, like being naturally imbalanced in balance with stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's just yeah, it's wild because like David Axelrod, you know, who was a political strategist, you know, responsible for getting Obama in office, and you know a lot of people like, you know, what what what.
Speaker 6: David Axel were like, what can what can Joe Biden do man to help sort of defend against these attacks about his age or whatever? And he was just sort of like, yeah, just merely juxtapose his positions with Trumps. Sure, and it's like you're but that's not You're not getting at the anxiety that people feel.
Speaker 2: It's like, I feel increasingly unsafe in a world that's like prioritizing like militarism or earth degradation. And I have a fucking one year old, and I'm even even in my mind, like what the fuck does it look like for you? Like shit, I mean, I plan on being alive a little bit longer, so I'm probably we're probably gonna see some shit. But then what of like our kids and things like that. And I think Biden sort of has like this attitude of sort of like I remember when he first took like an astronomy class and you learn that the Earth is a star and then stars die and explode, and everyone's like yeah, when the earth where the sun? No, no, when the sun or when the sun sorry, the sun is a star, like saying like you know, when the sun dies, it will fucking destroy like it will it will destroy the earth too when that shit happens. And I'm like, oh my god, when's the fucking sun gonna die? And like like fucking a billion years and like, oh, fuck the fuck it, then why the fuck do I care about that?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: That's kind of like the the attitude that a lot of politicians have with a lot of these like huge things. We're like, I don't know, we can just keep kicking this can down the road and just sound like the warning bells about what will happen if we don't codify certain laws or if you don't get a handle on curbing like emissions or inequality without actually doing anything as to them. It's like so abstract, like the fallout, and they're insulated.
Speaker 1: So I don't know.
Speaker 2: I just think, like for all the talk of like it's not me, I think it again. I think just for people always say it's the age, it's the age, it's the age. It just allows to skirt over like the real issues, like yeah.
Speaker 1: Is it just that he can't do push ups well and you think he's gonna fall? Like there's a New York Times something like some New York Times alert that popped up for me today that was like what if Trump and Biden die? And that again, if you're covering it from the perspective of like a horse race, it is certainly notable that one of the two horses that can win could die during the course of the race. But yeah, it's mainly that is the way that the Like back in two thousand and four when I was working at ABC News, they were having like this real internal crisis of consciousness about like, we are only covering this lake, it's a horse race. We never talk about policy, and but they like continued to do that shit, like they were like, and there's no way out, because that is the only way we really know how to talk about this in a way that makes sense as TV, you know, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like kind of the lowest common denominator, Like look at his face, isn't it old?
Speaker 2: That?
Speaker 4: Although I do love this idea, if there was no like age cap on like professional sports, like that was you were watching a baseball game, and also there was there was a bunch of people who are so old they might pass away during the game. Level of retry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, pres hit with a ball like right off, right off the bat, Like oh no.
Speaker 1: But again, okay, I do have to push back here a little bit. You are only paying attention to the things that he's actually doing as president. You're not paying attention to the things that people say he is doing behind the scenes. Behind the scenes, he is sharp, and he is so mad and who's an asshole?
Speaker 2: So he called an a.
Speaker 5: Like I don't, I don't.
Speaker 2: He's cool, dude, He's cool in private, dude. He just he fucking he likes trippy red, you know what I mean, And he listens to all he was fucking with the last couple of Playboy Cardio albums. He's actually really cool. But again, I think it's the whole point is to keep it, keep that debate there, because again, the most of the mainstream media is it really equipped to grapple with the policy failures of just America for the last fifty years in general anyway. So like, because anytime it is brought up, you're gonna have a bunch of people who are like his style blishment. Politicians are just like, it's this is fine, the police are great, It's okay. This these things these are just noisy activists and that's kind of like the message you get. But yeah, I think, like, as I experienced more spirited discussions around people of many generations talking about the presidential and they're like, people got to get over the fact that he's old. It's like, it's not. It's not just that it's not I'm not just saying the fact that he's old, get him out of here. It's that this dude has no idea what life is going to look like for us, and he doesn't give a shit, and that's fucking frightening. And none of these and none of them, many of the people in office do not. And without a real sea change of that kind of thinking, it things look very dire. And that's I think what merely people are asking for is like, can you at least wink at the fact that you know what things could look like? You know, like if we just keep keep maintaining this course and.
Speaker 1: Just again, you know, behind the scenes on Biden expert here, Okay, tried winking yesterday and his eyes started to bleed, So we're gonna actually hold off on that one.
Speaker 2: Hylashes got caught and got each other. He couldn't open the eye anymore.
Speaker 1: Because the function effectively as spider webs at this point, so he can't close his eyes or else.
Speaker 2: You know, they're like, no, that's just not the thing. Just help help me understand about what we're going to do to make things better. Don't just be like this guy sucks too. And that's why I think there's increasing, yeah, just increasing apathy and frustration around this, because like even when people feel like, can we can we talk about these issues like nahn, we can talk about how shitty Trump is though.
Speaker 4: Well, dude, and there's a whole we are foundationally and this is not unique what I'm saying, but just foundationally addicted to oil and automobiles, you know what I mean. Thinking of what is required to actually like upend this entire foundational situation here with our dependency on just cars alone, is like it's policy. It's got to be policy change and structural conscious this change, Like people have to start to understand that there's going to have to be sacrifices. We have the tools to do it, like we could work from home. We have the internet. We can get so much done, right, you know what I mean? If it's so we kind of like we just need to, but it's hard when the you know, automotive industry is such like an aspect of the backbone of the American economy in certain states, you.
Speaker 2: Know, right, Yeah, or even just thinking about like how our justice system works, are foreign policy it's always like this patriarchal like, well, someone's got to get fucking hit yep, you know. And that extends to the militarism, that extends to why we see no real improvement in like how our justice system works. It's like, yeah, because it requires us to really again to abandon these fucking archaic ideas to move into something different. And yeah, and I think I'm sure obviously not everyone is a high value or high information voter. I was getting into high value mail because you were talking about the manisphere powerful yep, yeah, yeah, but high information voters like but people do sort of in their bones feel like something has to fucking change on some level. And it's like when when we aren't able to really get those ideas out of have those debates, yeah, we're sort of doomed to just stay in this cycle and then you know, shaking our fists out the sky.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's yeah. It's one of the most consistent things you see across history is like it, and it gets written out because in the same way that you know, the people who are speculating on like the stock market, they don't a year from now ere they're like being completely wrong, you know, like that shit just like gets memory hold. One of the consistent tropes throughout history is the people who are like aging out just having severe pessimism and cynicism about the future. And you know they're just too old to understand it, too old to like approach the problem with fresh eyes, and it's we are at like a major crossroads for the species, like one of the one of the most difficult crossroads of our species in generations, and we really like this is the worst possible time to have people who are just like cynical and pessimistic about our ability to solve these problems and to think about these problems.
Speaker 4: Yeah, completely, because human beings are actually incredibly capable, Like we're actually capable of doing incredible things if we're allowed to make those decisions for ourselves. You know.
Speaker 1: The thing that makes me feel like sometimes like positive about the future is just like thinking right before World War Two, as you know, there's like this massive dust cloud devouring like the farmland in the middle of the country. There's the Great depression, Hitler is rising, Like all of these horrible things are happening, and you know the world is going to like come together and like get through it and like build the future for in a lot of ways, like the highway system, all these different like dams and all these various things. But it wasn't through listening to the very old people who were you know, just like fuck right, you had to you had to get some new blood in there. So all right, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and talk about some good news.
Speaker 5: We'll be right back, and we're back.
Speaker 1: And so Los Angeles, we've actually talked about this problem before that LA during these massive rainstorms that they've suddenly been getting, like in the past, LA has been built to basically turn into a mass said water park where like just you know, big chunks of the city turn into water slides and just like jet that shit out of here as fast as possible into the ocean so that they don't experience flooding. Essentially. There has been work being done in Los Angeles, also in Pittsburgh shout out Pittsburgh in recent years to transform it into what's being described as a sponge city, and not merely described that way for like SpongeBob memeability purposes, but because it's it involves making it a more permeable city.
Speaker 2: Just generally, Yeah, we were saying, I think the last the storms at the beginning of last year, like we're like, oh my god, there's so much water came down, and like we were able to capture like a part of it. But I think a lot of ecologists environmental people were saying, like, we just need a way to be able to absorb it because it's too much concrete everywhere and it doesn't get into the ground, and to be able to like sort of fill the aquifers and things like that. So yeah, like there's been a lot of work. I didn't realize just how I mean again, because I'm not I don't have my eye on this all the time, but like this story is really interesting to hear that a lot of these programs that have been implemented to sort of create what they call like spreading zones or something like just the like spreading spreading grounds. Yeah, so the water is able to like very gradually be absorbed back into the ground. I'm like, oh great, great, So so we're doing this and what we got almost like a half year's worth of rainfall in three days recently. Yeah, and they were able to capture a really good, real good chunk of that. I mean, like something in the billions, was it? Eight point six billion gallons of storm water was been they were able to capture, which is enough for enough water for one hundred and six thousand households in a year. But yeah, like it's it's nice to see that we're being able to like green median strips, you know what I mean, and things like that that go from like what about dirt instead of concrete things that can absorb things. I have like a swale in my front yard because someone who I know who's like really conscious about this stuff, was like.
Speaker 6: Dude, it's easy, man, just just give give a place for the water to fucking go back into the ground.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you see like this happening more and more and more. So again I.
Speaker 1: Think doing that made us do that in our front card.
Speaker 2: Hey yeah, yes, I mean but it's like one of these things where a lot of people are like, it's not always that it takes a gigantic project to be able to sort of turn things around. It's like, this can be something. I feel like this Berkeley professor said, It's like it can be. It's like it's like we're solving it with a million band aids. Basically, in these small ways that help contribute to a larger or larger beneficial outcome for people, because I.
Speaker 1: Think it's mainly the swale in my front yard. But yeah, I guess I think they're doing some other stuff. But I'm going to take most of the credit here.
Speaker 4: It attributing most of it to you. Jack.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, my name isn't mentioned, but it's like heavily implied the kind of a funny picture of you.
Speaker 2: Yeah wait, I did just get this paperless post invite from you for like an event at your house. I was called job Swale Done, and I wasn't sure. That's just to celebrate the fact that you've been able to capture eight billion gallons of storm water through your swale. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I am going to be wearing a flight suit in front of a mission accomplishment banner, and I hope that that doesn't send the wrong message.
Speaker 4: But you would say, as a as a member of the manosphere of the the spreading grounds was what I called my last apartment. Yeah right, brother, those.
Speaker 1: Was spreading grounds and looks at you like this and get you a spreading ground.
Speaker 4: Spreading zone. And also it is amazing that we're like how about dirt. How about the thing that is automatically the universe so funny?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, truly truly and like, yeah, other places using like morp I think Pittsburgh to your point, check using like more porous concrete bricks that allow.
Speaker 1: Water to seep through. It's just I think those are just sponges, right, that's true. They're just a scratching with sponges. They just replaced their sidewalk with sponges.
Speaker 2: Could you imagine what that looks like during the rainstorms, like twisting ankles? Yeah, like every fifty.
Speaker 4: As filthy as the sponges.
Speaker 2: That might sick.
Speaker 1: Oh oh man, I was they say you're supposed to get rid of those every month or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I got some antiques around I got you know that are like.
Speaker 2: Have you And I was recently drank out of a coffee cup that clearly had been like a thousand year old sponge had cleaned it, you know, like when you just know you're like, oh, that's sponge, that's all sponge.
Speaker 4: Yes, I had that at a restaurant one time where I was like, yeah, it tastes tastes like old the water glasses tastes like old sponge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good that's a good p s A for people. That's why you got to change the sponges out, you know, just it just helps better. Yeah, at least for the water glasses.
Speaker 1: With the you know, with the soda glasses, we're not going to taste it, but the you know, you.
Speaker 2: Will if your nose is in it. I'm talking like the like the whole glass, Like the second you know, like the rim of the glass goes over your nose, You're like, oh, okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: And you do do you do the like wine tasting thing where you just dip your nose all the way down, swirl it.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah, yeah, every time, every time. That's how you know, you're you're dealing with the business that's that knows what to do.
Speaker 1: Spray has notes of liman. Yes, that's what you said that every time. Yeah, but yeah, I mean so basically, climate warming, we're gonna get less snow melt more rain. LA is basically dependent on snow melt from the north being piped down to Los Angeles. But because there's less snow, there's gonna be less snow melt feeding the rivers up north. But there's gonna be so I'm just like kind of impressed. It's like, you know, a lot just we're doing to people with invisible jobs, doing stuff to accommodate like our fucked up like changing world, right, which is what we're going to need.
Speaker 2: And yeah, my very ignorant take is like, dude, to watch like la is gonna be like a green place because of climate change and now everyone's gonna want to come here because climate change actually helped us out. It's a really cool way. But yeah, these these like atmospheric rivers, they're just the amounts of water that are coming down. I'm sure. I mean, this is the thing that Ellie's been contending with ever since the city was created. But it's good to know it. Be like, man, there's a lot of free water coming down every couple of months. Probably need to fucking do something about that rather than pissing it away into the ocean.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, and it's just such a city that's not built for weather. Like there's the fact that there's no real sewers. It's just everything immediately comes up out of the ground and then as soon as there's wind, just trees start falling. Like the slightest wind that there's like palm frauds in the highway. You know what I mean, It's gonna take a little rest.
Speaker 2: It's funny. I was. I was in Florida or like like the last couple of days, and there was like a rain storm in Miami and the way the water like I was driving, was like, holy shit, man, this thing is a fucking full on gale. And I remember, like again, I became so Angelino in the car. I was like, this is fucking the apocalypse. And then I was speaking with someone who lives down there. I'm like, so this like a storm, Like what the fuck's going? They're like, what the rain? It's like it's the rain and I'm like, this isn't like fucked up. They're like no, this is like just what happens when it rains here.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, okay, all right, well, not only can we not deal with rain, we need like a gold star from Wired magazine for how well we dealt with the rain when we just like dig some ditches.
Speaker 2: Right, Hey, I put a hole there for the water to go. There you go, buddy, you're getting you get a jacket. Yet Nope.
Speaker 4: I was like back in Saint Louis, eating like lunch outside at the there's a restaurant that was like outside, but there was like tornado warnings. The sky was greed. I just after I'd lived in LA for like ten years, and there's like tornado sirens going off and just somebody's sitting around acting like nothing is happening, you know what I mean. So it's it's definitely both, which is like I'm a total whimp, and also other people are like too used to crazy weather.
Speaker 1: You know, Missouri has ghostbuster skies like it has really Yeah, I've seen just what. I lived in Columbia, Missouri for a few years, and the sky was just like churning and yes, green and just one like sick, like just the strangest looking thing, and everyone's just like, yeah, about our business.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's truly yeah, psychedelic. It looks like the rapture. Anybody's this will probably be fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this will blow over. You can tell because it's coming out of the northeast.
Speaker 2: How do you know that?
Speaker 1: How do you know the Northeast?
Speaker 2: I think I know about Saint louis Is. I love Lion's Choice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hell a Sami.
Speaker 2: Yeah all right, And that's my contribution to that conversation.
Speaker 4: Perfectly.
Speaker 1: Honestly, you got a sandwich that good without some apocalyptic skies scaring the people who are making it. You can feel the fear, you can. You can sense that they know they could die at any moment, that the finger of God could reach down from the sky and just suck them away in a tornado, you know. Yeah, yeah yeah, those yeah, those You could taste it in the bread.
Speaker 4: Yeah, those far chemicals. Really beef really absorbs it.
Speaker 2: I didn't, I just I just found out as a Google this right now. The founder of Lion Choice was a chemical engineer for Monsanto with the clod food.
Speaker 4: Is there my taste so good? Yeah, it's primarily plastic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and weeds don't grow in my intestines anymore.
Speaker 1: Uh, Mort, what a pleasure having you as always on the daily Zeitgeist. Where can people find you? Follow you all that good stuff? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Just Mort Burke m O R T b U r k E on your various socials and such. And then yeah, my special is called spiritual spiritually Filthy on YouTube. Thanks for having me, you guys well film Spiritual fils baby. Yeah, and is there a work of media that you've been enjoying? You know this dude, Dusty Cohen posted a picture of three bikers with vests that say born to Ride Donald J.
Speaker 1: Trumpstic meme. Oh yeah, amazing. Miles. Where can people find you as their working media you've been enjoying?
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, man, you can find me at Miles of Gray on the platforms there, most of them, if not all of them. Also find us on our basketball podcast, Miles and Jack Got Mad most. If you like ninety day Fiance, check me out on four to twenty day Fiance and uh yeah, let me see a tweet that I am alike in. Here's one. Wait, where is it?
Speaker 1: Where is it?
Speaker 2: Where is it? Oh yeah, we're just talking about World War two. So Sean Morrow at s n M r RW tweeted, just remember that on nine to eleven my teacher that broke the news to us theorized it might be the Japanese because they quote used that strategy before.
Speaker 4: Shit.
Speaker 2: Then another one, this is from Kenty at Fake Kenty tweeted, my friend gave me a hit to go and it's an eavy on bottle that clearly someone just blew up.
Speaker 7: Bunch of smoking to me, that's really funny. To go bond rip, Yeah, to go rip. Yeah, man, would that work?
Speaker 2: I've read someone who it would have to be pretty quick, Like you can't put that in your backpack like I did.
Speaker 1: Go the whole later day.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and.
Speaker 4: Try to get it wants to dissipate it is?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a tweet I've been enjoying.
Speaker 2: Duitt B.
Speaker 1: Farton tweeted she called me Rowan Atkinson the way I missed her beings.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it was Wow.
Speaker 4: God, how did the mister b click connection escape all of that guy's brilliant.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, incredible work by do it be farting? We should have seen it coming with that user name.
Speaker 4: Also very self effacing attitude towards his own sexual Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 1: You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O'Brien. You can find us on Twitter at daily Zeitgeist. We're at the Daily Zeitgeist on Instagram, we have a Facebook fan page and a website, Daily zeitgeist dot com, where we post our episodes and our footnotes. No, we link off to the information that we talked about in today's episode, as well as a song that we think you might enjoy. Miles, what song do you think people might enjoy?
Speaker 2: A friend of mine put me onto some experimental Like I've been listening to a lot of house dub, techno, drum and bassed kind of stuff, and like, hey, you know Andy Stott, I said, no, I don't know who that is. What is that? And it's just like it's just a very kind of forward thinking electronic kind of music. This track that I listen to, it's like a slow burn, but it's like it's super viby. It's like the kind of thing that you're like, oh man, I'm not gonna blast this at my party. It's just kind of one of those headphone tracks. It's called Numb Numb. I think it's an appropriate thing for what we've been talking about today, and it's by Andy Stott. Stott, so check that out. It's on the album Luxury Problems.
Speaker 1: All right. We will link off to that in the footnotes. The Daily Zechs is the production of by Heart Radio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast Us wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That's gonna do it for us. This week, we're back over the weekend with a rundown the Weekly Zeitgeist, and then on Monday to tell you what trended over the weekend, and then on Tuesday we'll be talking to an expert guest, so yeah, we'll talk to you all then have a good weekend. Bye bye, thanks you all.