Speaker 1: Welcome to Before Breakfast, a production of iHeartRadio. Good Morning, This is Laura. Welcome to the Before Breakfast podcast. Today's episode is going to be a longer one part of the series where I interview fascinating people about how they take their days from great to awesome and any advice they have for the rest of us. So today I am delighted to welcome Chelsea Joe to the show. Chelsea is the host of the Systemaize Your Life podcast. So, Chelsea, welcome to Before Breakfast.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me. It's going to be a great conversation absolutely.
Speaker 1: So why don't you tell our listeners a little bit about yourself?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm a wife and a mom. I've got two girls that are thirteen and about well just actually eight.
Speaker 3: It's a birthday today, so happy birthday. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I am the CEO of Chelsea Joe dot Co. I've been running this company for the past six years. I retired myself out of my profession, which was I was a side language interpreter for many years and I also ran an event based business for quite some time with my mom, and so this is my full time work now. My husband was a firefighter for many years and so we juggled a really crazy, hectic schedule and we now are using systems on a regular basis for me to be able to juggle all of the demands that we have on a regular basis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, what got you interested in the productivity world? I mean, was this always something that you were interested in then just decided to transition into it or anything?
Speaker 3: What happened?
Speaker 2: I mean, essentially, I was when I first got married. I had a two year old daughter that I brought with me to that marriage, and so we had a family. Immediately, my husband was trying to get on with a better fire department than the one he was in. He went through a couple of fire academies. I was running that event base business this, and doing sign language. And then we had another baby while I was interpreting, and I was doing that for about twenty hours a week, and then we had another baby, and things just got really chaotic, and so I just knew that I didn't want to live that way, and I knew by looking around that other people were accomplishing a lot of things, and so I essentially gravitate towards doing things the way that other people are doing them, that are doing the things that I want to be doing, and so it's just more so I think the way that I wanted to live, and so I started testing things, found something that really worked, started sharing with my friends, started a blog, started a podcast, and the rest as you do.
Speaker 1: As you do. Yeah, because both of you were working then and jobs that are not really known for being nine to five sort of jobs, right, I mean between the you know, firefighting and event planning. I mean, things are happening at all different times, right, it seems like that might be challenging to build systems into there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that was really I think that's the one kickback that I get from everybody is, oh, my life is too chaotic to have a system like I can't do the same thing every day. And that is literally why I built them in order to be able to still be highly productive and not have that chaos during all of the highs and lows. Because for sign language interpreting, I was an independent contractor, so I would just wait anytime we got an email, anybody that was licensed and felt qualified could pick up the job. So like at any moment I would have to say yes, I could do that gig, and then I'm scrambling for sitters and okay, what's for dinner, and my husband not to take over, but if he wasn't available because he was at the fire department, then we'd have to hand over to the sitters. Like it was just so many pieces. And then obviously for him he would works. He's had a lot of crazy schedules, but the one that we lived with the most was he would work two days, then off four and then work two days and then off four, which is only six out of seven days. So there was always a rotation, so like he would work Saturday Sunday, then Friday, Saturday, then Thursday Friday, and it just kept going around the week like that. So I could never have consistent babysitters, or there's no consistency. And that's why I created these systems, because any given day I could actually have a rhythm based on the things that I knew needed to be in a certain order in order for us to.
Speaker 3: Get to school on time. And you know, then we homeschooled for one of.
Speaker 2: The kids still is and there's just a lot of moving pieces in all of that, and the systems allowed me to not be overwhelmed and not run around like a crazy person with it like a chicken with its head cut off, is what I say all the time.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, So then you know, would you plan in weeks or planned by day or sort of look ahead for you know, how was the timeline then of figuring out how systems might work?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yea.
Speaker 2: My method is based on a seven day or a week long home management system, and so I have all seven days mapped out, and depending on what the week looks like, right, we have some days that have lots of extracurriculars, we have some days that don't. We have some days where there's a lot of variables. But you can essentially look through all of those things that are happening in your week and you can really decide just by seeing everything at a glance, how you can group things together so you're not constantly multitasking all day long. So I really ended up just building my whole life, is what I call it. Basically, it was a week of time, right, and I chunked that down and every seven days we repeat it. So on Sundays, we have a very specific event on the calendar that says Sunday Reset, and we sit down and we reset all of our systems, that need to be reset, and they're pretty much all automated. We just make sure that we update them. Like today's Bailey's birthday, so it's not a normal Tuesday night, right, We're doing something very different this Tuesday night, So we just update and tweak those small pieces.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so I mean when people are feeling like their life is chaotic and they are feeling overwhelmed, I mean, what do you think they're generally getting wrong? Like what leads to that sense of overwhelming chaos?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the biggest part is just using too rigid of a schedule or having like one hundred percent fly by the seat of your pants. So I try and bring people to the middle of that pendulum. There's a really good mix in between those two that I have dialed in and live in on a regular basis. A lot of people would plague or peg me as a type a personality, but you know, I mean, I guess by different definitions, somebody will be that if they wanted to. But I hate being told what to do. I don't like doing the same thing over and over again. I hated working a nine to five. I want to do my own thing and having the framework and like an actual home management system did allow me to have that freedom to be able to do that.
Speaker 3: Excellent.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, We're going to take a quick ad break and then I'll be back with more from Chelsea Joe. Well, I am back talking with Chelsea Joe, who is the host of the Systemize Your Life podcast for talking about ways to systemize your life. So Chelsea, let's talk about some of those systems, Like what are some of your favorite Like if somebody is living in chaos and the Chelsea comes to them and the first thing she has them to, what's one of the easy systems that somebody could start putting into place.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the easiest and most impactful to start with. This wouldn't necessarily be where I would have you start foundationally, but still part of my huge system is my meal planning system. Like the home management that whole thing definitely is the meal planning system. That's super straightforward. I teach that in depth on my blog and on the podcast all the time. It is part of the program as well. But essentially it's just a really straightforward, old fashioned way of making sure that you're not skimming through Pinterest meals all the time and that you use your family's favorites as a bank that you can repeat over and over and over again. And you create a menu board for your family so they can always see what's on the menu every week. And from there you get into a really great rhythm of just making sure that your meal planning every single weekend, and then you no longer have to hear what's for dinner. You're not going through drive through multiple time times a week, you're not over buying at the grocery store and not utilizing the food and throwing out a ton, so you end up saving a ton of money doing that. It's probably one of the first systems that I ever set up, truly, because I remember very vividly in my mind when I like threw my hands up in there and I was like, I'm done with this. And I had been on Pinteres for like two hours trying to figure out what to make for food that week, and I was still trying to wildly impress my husband with these you know, over the top meals, and I was like, this is I'm done with this, because I had two hours by the time the baby woke up from the nap, and like I was like, this is ridiculous.
Speaker 3: I can't do this.
Speaker 2: So I ended up setting up this system and we literally still use it like nine years later.
Speaker 1: So how many crowd placing meals should I have like in my in my docket that I can then pull up for my weekly plan?
Speaker 2: Listen, I tell families with the pickiest eaters to start with five, and you're gonna want to ask your family. I think we have ten that we rotate still to this day, and then they switch because you know, kids get tired of it, We get tired of it, We find a new one, an old one phases out, and we have like a huge stack at this point that we've you know, been building. We don't use all of those, but it's fun to go back and look and be like, oh, yeah, I remember that season when we had like chicken legs, corn on the cob and watermelon like every week over the summer. You know.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. Yeah, we have. We have a couple of true crowd placers in my family too. So around here, Monday is always pasta night because Monday is like the day when I least want to think about what it's for dinner. So that's something that's wound up working for us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love that. I have had a lot of families that will.
Speaker 2: End up making like like theme nights, like Monday's always pasta and Tuesday's always tacos of some sword and like, or they'll they'll put like a specific culture it's like Mexican, Italian, American traditional and whatever. You know, and how you want to go about creating a system for yourself is always a good place to start.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, what's the other major housework thing that or house management thing that tends to get people feeling like they're behind? I mean, I don't know. Is it cleaning, is it laundry, is it you know, administration or bill paying or what is it that's sort of next, you know, contributing to the chaos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think for me, it's the biggest thing for me is time management. And people have never been taught how to manage their time. And even if we were taught by our parents, what they had to juggle in a daily basis is nothing in comparison to what we are juggling now our kids. The pressure for our kids to be in a thousand things and just like everybody is running at the speed of light, and so time management is really important, and so I have a very specific method that's hybrid between a paper planner and a Google calendar of putting in a lot of automation in there. So it takes the bandwidth and like the complexity of managing a schedule out of it. But then we also use five specific core time blocks to get your entire life from being scattered all over the place into really digestible groups of time. After we get your time management down path, than everything else literally that's driving people crazy is keeping up with the cooking, cleaning, dishes, laundry. It's the dishes, toilets, laundry, you know, et cetera, those things. Keeping up with housework is really complex for a lot of people because they never set time aside to do it, and when they do, they're like, that sounds really boring.
Speaker 3: I would rather it.
Speaker 1: Well, it is, I mean, but it's true that tasks take time, and I think people have in their mind that they don't I mean, I don't know where that comes from, but yes, of course, like if you are the one cleaning your house, you're gonna have to devote time in your schedule to cleaning your house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, And even whenever they do devote time, They have no idea how long it actually takes what they're going to do with that time. They just look around and see a messy house and think, I need to get the house cleaned, and so they wait for it to build up and build up and build up and build up. And it's pretty basically the same thing with all home management, and so they push everything off to the back burner and they don't prioritize it. And these are foundational parts of living also our health, and moms are notorious for this right of not taking care of himself and putting themselves on the back burner. The food that we eat, how often we work out, are we caring for ourselves and were getting to bed on time? That is a very big holistic approach to managing your life, but essentially to managing the home. And my husband's very involved in the home management, but it's still like my brain and my baby behind this machine that I've built, and then he just helps execute all of it. He's got great, great feedback at times too. And I always encourage the families that I work with to make sure that it is involving and we're soliciting information back from the other people that we live with to help us build a really sustainable home management system.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm curious what those five times of the day are. Now I'm pondering, what are my five blocks of the day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so most people that here time blocking, they've had some experience with it, and I don't do it anything like anybody else that you will find on the internet. So essentially, there's three major things that we have to tackle in a day. There's three major groups. The first one is ourselves. We have to give time to ourself. We have to get ready, we have to work out, we need to feed ourselves whether or not. You know, I'm a very faith based person, so having time to read and do Bible studies or whatever that practice is for you is really important. And no one ever really takes the time to do that. And no matter what season of life you're in, Like I nursed my babies around the clock, Like I get it, I've been been in that season completely, But there's still an opportunity for at least fifteen minutes for yourself.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: The other big group or category that we have to tackle into vote a lot of time too, is everything else in the home. So taking care of the kids, taking care of the home itself, and the marriage. Right, that's a huge consumption of our life. And then the third one is our work. If you're whether or not you're working to earn money or you're giving of your time and your gifts to the PTO or to your local whatever. Right, it's very rare that a woman is not doing something outside of being a wife and a mom, and so there needs to be time for that. And so those three things. When I sat down, I was like, this is super easy. We don't have to mix this all up. We're just going to do these three things right. But essentially, you can't just pour into the kids once a day. You've got to touch it before and after work. It has to be touched, right. So this is where my five time blocks come in place. So the very first, first first part of the day is your morning routine block. You focus on yourself. Then you bump into your am block, you focus on the home, the kids, marriage, whatever needs to be done there. Then you focus on your work, and then you do it backwards. You go back to focusing on your home, your kids, your marriage, all the things. And then you have that little and that's your PM block, and then you have your little little block at the end of the day, your book nds of your day is your nighttime routine block. And for me, like a couple of nights a week that consists one night a week that consists of a date night with my husband, and then the rest of the nights of the week, maybe once or twice I'm watching something on YouTube, a podcast or something of some sort. And then the other nights it's just me. I'm in a bath, I'm unwinding, I'm reading, I'm journaling or whatever. And so those are the five time blocks, and the goal is to get your entire life out of every single nook and cranny and get them put into these very specific time blocks.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I like that and just giving people the idea that yes, you are a time block right like that. There doesn't have to because I like, I think a lot of people feel that, you know, all I'm ever doing is house, kids, work. You know, it's there's there's no time for me. But even if it's just a sliver at the beginning and at the end, yeah.
Speaker 3: It could be fifteen minutes, it doesn't have to be two hours, which there, but it's still there. It's still there and it's something to look forward to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I'm curious, I mean, Telsey, because obviously this is a show called Before Breakfast, so we're big on morning routines here. What is your morning routine?
Speaker 2: Well, oddly enough, mine just changed drastically. Okay, my morning routine for a real long time. For like the last several years, we my husband and I spend a lot of time separated in the morning. We read and I kind of get ready for the day. I do check in with my team. I do a quick power like fifteen thirty minutes to address because I'm on the Pacific time zone and everybody else is basically East. So by the time I get to work, they're all like checking out for the day. So I have to like plug in with them early in the morning, and then I would kind of open up the house. A lot of people say that they wake up their house and put their house to bed, you know, but I really, I really do enjoy that. And then getting ready for the day. That's what I was doing for a really long time. Obviously making the bed there's little nuances within that. But now I am the five am workout warrior, and that's where we're at right now. So I'm up at four forty five, We're at the gym at like five point fifteen, and I get back home and we eat immediately and get the kids to school. And my husband and I are rotating every other day, so the days that I take the kids and go straight to work, I get to take a shower while the kids are getting ready and then we flip flop that.
Speaker 3: And that's been working out really well.
Speaker 1: All right, well, we're going to take a quick ad break and I'll be back with more from Chelsea jo Well, I'm back talking with Chelsea Joe, who is the host of the Systemize Your Life podcast. So I'm very curious what inspired the you know, shift to being a five point fifteen workout warrior person. Like what what I mean? I am not I you know, despite hosting a show called Before Breakfast, I am not a hardcore morning person. So I'm always curious what makes that happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, we were trying to work out in any other time of the day and it was essentially taking two hours. It literally will take two hours of my day to go get there, warm up, and then my four days so like warming up is like a thing that has to be done at this point.
Speaker 3: Can't just like dive in like I used to.
Speaker 2: I just used to like show up to class and like just hammer out a hardcore workout and be fine. That Now like everything hurts and you know whatever. But it just was eating up into work essentially, because we really want to be available for our kids when they get off of school. Woll and my husband recently retired from the fire department, and we just had to make a hard decision of like, can we get this done in the morning so that we can still both run our businesses and both for the most part be off work by three thirty or four thirty every single day. And I he and I both are really wonderful morning people, but we also really like to stay up after the kids go to.
Speaker 3: Bed too, So we're like, what is this sleep thing? Why do we have to do it so much?
Speaker 1: So your your two ends of the day are starting to spread bigger, they're starting to get the bigger the two time blacks at the end, well, because what time do you need to go to bed then to wake.
Speaker 3: Up that early? Yeah?
Speaker 2: We really want to be like in bed with lights out at nine o'clock.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and that's hard.
Speaker 1: That's hard, especially if your kids are not going to bed until probably well then no.
Speaker 2: Now we have my kids. I sleep trained my second one because my first one I did not, and I thought every woman that sleep trained her child was a terrible mother. And then I learned that there was very great idea to sleep train your children. So with my second when, we definitely did that. And she has gone to bed like clockwork by like seven seven point thirty and just as of late it's been eight o'clock. She just went into third grade. But her older sister is a huge influence on that because she's thirteen now and all she wants to do from nine o'clock on is talk for hours on end the teenage life, and so we are trying to navigate that and it has looked a little bit different for the thirteen year old. You know, she now has her own nighttime routine that she navigates independently after.
Speaker 3: We put her to bed.
Speaker 2: Put her to bed because we're tired.
Speaker 3: We're like, we gotta go to bed. I can't stay up late every night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm a I have started to be among the earlier people in my household going to bed so yeah, it's one of those things. So, Telsey, I always ask people on the show, what is something you've done recently to take a day from great to.
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 2: That's a really great question, to take a day from great to awesome? Well, work out that takes my day from great to awesome every single time without a shadow of a doubt. But I think the second thing is, and the thing that I've been focused on the most lately, is definitely the way that we speak to ourselves and just constantly. I call it flipping the script. So there's a lot of people in my family that cycle really negative thoughts often or they maybe they aren't even negative, but they're definitely not encouraging or positive. And what we think shapes the way that we make decisions. And my husband's grandfather always said, where our thoughts go, our feet go. And so when we're trying to take a day from great to awesome, it's really important to care about the kinds of thoughts and words that speak to ourselves.
Speaker 1: So using positive thoughts and in our minds to direct where we're going. So, Chelsea, what are you looking forward to right now?
Speaker 2: I'm looking forward to San Diego this weekend. We're taking the kids to a really lovely, kind of last minute summer wrap up trip to the beach in San Diego.
Speaker 3: Oh that sounds fun.
Speaker 1: San Diego's gorgeous. So yeah, I assume you've been there before, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I grew up in a neighboring state in Arizona, so we went a lot as a kid, and it's going to be a great time. My youngest one's never been to the beach. My oldest one has only been like once when she was I don't know, like five or six.
Speaker 3: So they're both going to have the time of their life.
Speaker 1: That's great. What a great hurrah before the end of the summer. Where can people find you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, if you love listening to podcasts, you can come over. I've had a podcast for the last six years. We've got over five hundred episodes that you can binge. It's called Systemize your Life. Or you can have a head over to the website Chelsea Joe dot Co. And you'll find free resources there, a time blocking workbook, the meal planning system. There's a quiz there that will tell you what system you need to start with first.
Speaker 3: All of that's totally free and ready for you guys, so head over.
Speaker 1: Yeah awesome, well please do head over there. And Chelsea, thank you so much for joining us. Thank you to everyone for listening. If you have feedback about this or any other episode, you can always reach me at Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. In the meantime, this is Laura, Thanks for listening, and here's to making the most of our time. Thanks for listening to Before Breakfast. If you've got questions, ideas, or feedback, you can reach me at Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. Before Breakfast is a production of iHeartMedia. For more podcasts from iHeartMedia, please visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.