Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 4: Ready for a break?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: And so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for the Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com with Ambar Garcia, Brian brought us, Patrick Walker, and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 4: It is Wednesday, February twenty eight, twenty twenty four, Season nineteen, episode number one fourteen. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break. Life in the SWBC Mortgage Studios at the Star. Brian is on his final week of hiatus. He's out covering the Rangers out in Surprise, Arizona. But he will be back next week, but for this week, we are holding it down. We got Amber Patrick here. We got a lot to talk about. There are some things that have been happening around the NFL scouting combine some different things we've heard in some interviews. We're going to react to some of that stuff, and then we're going to get into free agency. As we mentioned last week, we're going to talk about the vast list of Cowboys players that will be free agents. When free agency begins on the eleventh. I think it is is that the tampering legal tampering and the actual free agency starts fourteenth thirteenth.
Speaker 7: Four pm Eastern time. Is when pen can meet paper.
Speaker 4: I love having a reporter on our show.
Speaker 7: It's awesome.
Speaker 4: Hoops, he doesn't read. But that's OK, that's a different story. We'll talk about that at a different time. We'll talk about that later, all right, so let's let's jump in. I do want to start though, with some of the comments that we've been hearing out of the scouting combine. We have a couple of few people down there, Patrick Walker, I'm sorry, not Patrick Walker, Nick Harrison, right, Traditionally, Nick Harris and Nicole are out there covering the scouting combine. They and a couple other people from the media. Local media caught up with Stephen Jones and the first thing that he said that was interesting to me was in regards to Trayvon Diggs de marveon overshown, he said, it's more realistic to recover that the recover will will they will recover in time for training camp rather than OTA's but it's a good chance that they will not end up being on pup looks like they would be ready for the open of training camp. Here's the question after you, guys, because obviously that's great news for the Cowboys that they can get those guys back soon. Does that change anything about how you look at this offseason with regards to the cornerback position and the linebacker position on what you think you need to do knowing that you'll have those guys back, or do you look at it like I don't even think about it as having those guys back. I have to address those positions.
Speaker 8: I think when it comes to Treyvon Diggs, you do look at it as having a guy back. I mean because you look at what he's been able to do in the league and for the Cowboys since he's been here. So I think the the the attack that should happen for the cornerback course should be. You're trying to obviously get Stefan Gilmour back in the building, you make a decision on Jordan Lewis. If you lose one of both of those guys, then yeah, you start looking into the open market to see what you can get there. I saw that Jerry Sneed just got tagged, But you have other guys like Xavier and Howard if that release goes through, and some other high quality names that are out there. When it comes to Marveon Overshown, though, you have to approach it as if he's not coming back. Not to say that he isn't because he is, but I say it in the aspect of this is a rookie who is redshirted last year, hasn't taken a single regular season NFL snap yet, So not only is he recovering from a torn ACL, but he also has the added level of difficulty of trying to get that NFL curve behind him, that learning curve, shortness learning curve. So because you don't know what Overshown can be at the NFL level just yet. Very impressive training camp, very impressive preseason before he went down against Seattle with that torn ACL, but you don't know what you have there yet, so you have to approach the linebacker corps as if with that in mind. You don't know, but you do know what Trevon Diggs. The only thing that's the question mark on Diggs is how quickly can he get back to form? But you know what his top form looks like with over shown, you just don't know.
Speaker 9: Yet Yeah, I agree with everything you just said. My thing is, I just hope that the Cowboys don't address this as I feel like with the Cowboys history has shown and we know that they usually like to take risks on people that are coming back with injury. And by that, I mean they trust the process and they think they're good with whatever guy that's coming off of injury, and they trust that and sometimes that doesn't work out sometimes and we've seen that it happen multiple times. So I just hope that they do go into this offseason of free agency, I mean, and address some of those positions. Like he said, I totally agree Overshawn. He's a guy that he showed us in the preseason some of the things that he can do, and we're all excited to see him back and see him on the field. But at the same time, he doesn't have that kind of experience and we don't know sometimes he takes guys a whole nother season in order to get back into the form, so he still has a lot to learn and go through. Like you said, Dag, he's an experienced guy, but you still have to address the cornerback position. We have two key players on defense are about to become free agents and what does that look like for the Cowboys. So I do agree go in. You have to address both positions, specifically linebacker. That's a huge issue. Right now. We still don't know what the future holds for Leyen vanderz. He keeps sounding like he might be retiring and putting an end to his career because of the neck injury. But that's a that's a big concern. So I would say go in and address both.
Speaker 8: I'll even add this to it, and all points Darren Bart even if the Marvion overshown, even if you wanted to assume the Marvion overshown is going to be able to reach top form quickly, and top form also indicates that he can hit the ground running and have a breakout season as a rookie. That's a great challenge to have, but it's a challenge for Nonetheless, you still need to go full steam at approaching the linebacker position and both free agency and the draft, because assuming the Marion overshown is everything you want him to be and DeMont Clark takes that next step, you still only have two true linebackers not named Buddy Johnson, who's on a future steal practice squad.
Speaker 7: So no knock to Buddy. That's funny things.
Speaker 4: When you say Buddy Johnson, a lot of fans out there probably said he was just making at a random stage, randomly Buddy, but they're literally Buddy john Buddy Jo.
Speaker 8: No knock to Buddy Johnson. No, but Buddy Johnson is not going to solve your linebacker. Probably you have to go into free agency and look at guys like who we're talking expiring contracts, assuming that these contracts are not extended prior.
Speaker 4: To as we were on the media side, on the media's not on the football side.
Speaker 8: You're talking about guys like Bobby Wagoner for example. These are the type of whales that you need to be entertaining that potentially add in free agency. And then still understanding that if you add a whale free agency at linebacker, you still need to attack it in the draft as well. So regardless of where you think Overshown might land or might be in twenty twenty four, you still need to go full esteem at that Trayvon Digs in the cornerback situation.
Speaker 7: That's that's a bit different.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But you know, I think both the points you guys are making is really I think where it's going, which is, no matter what you think of their recovery, you still are potentially losing guys at those positions. Whether it's Lve and maybe he retires, whether it's Gilmour cornerback, whether it's Jordan Lewis at cornerback, You're still gonna have a need to address those positions. Most likely, even if both those guys come back completely healthy, Trayvon Diggs and Overshown, both of them still are gonna You're still gonna need some more help. So I think it doesn't really change it much in my opinion.
Speaker 9: And I'm still sticking to that whole quote that Jerry Jones said, going all in, all in, and you mentioned the draft, I'm like, I'm not even thinking about the draft for at least like linebacker position. We know there are a lot of very good players that are about to hopefully become free agents, and that's when I'm expecting and hoping that if they're really all in, that there is a big splash for the first time in a really long time where we see the Cowboys make that kind of move and put a lot of money. But it is interesting when we start talking about the other contracts that they have to make Dak Mike CD one is not going to take place, and all of that, and how does the money look like for when you're trying to pay somebody else that's a huge player in the market.
Speaker 8: Well, keep in mind, being all in can be the totality of what you do in free agency, going get a couple of wheels in free agency, but also what you do with your premium picks in the NFL draft. So for example, a CD Lamb at seventeen, that's an all in pick, even though I mean you can look at.
Speaker 7: It exactly as that.
Speaker 8: So if you know this coming April, a situation like that were to happen, you know, respective to whatever player or position that can be seen, a first round pick, a top second round pick, those those types of guys are expected to come in and hit the ground running immediately. Yes, we're seeing some struggles with the transitional Mazi slow burn on a Schoolmaker because of the foot issue that kept him out of training camp. But for the most part, when the team takes a player in first or second round, that's not a developmental guy, that's not a sixth or seventh rounder. We're spoiled by what spoiled by what Deron Bland has been able to do. And you've had some of these late, like Donovan Wilson's sixth round pick turns into a dynamic starter for you. But for the most part, going all in first second round, depending on what position and who you're taking, it could be viewed as that it just has to work hand in hand. So the Cowboys can't go all in and free agency and then look at the draft in first round, knowing that you need a starting left tackle, for example, you you skip over that.
Speaker 7: Knowing that you need a linebacker. You skip over that, and.
Speaker 8: I start starting offensive tackle and you skip over center. Like those are three positions for example, that if none of those happened in the first round, regardless of what you did in free agency, I'm looking at you, like, what are we doing here? Because those players should come in and impact you as quickly as twenty twenty four.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll hold judgment on what I think all Land really means until we get past the off season. I want to see what that looks like, because it can't have like you said, it can have a lot of different meanings, and I think we all that we're listening that wanted to hear. What we wanted to hear was that means free agency is going to open and we're going shopping and we're going to get all the best players. Like that's what I think everybody is wanting that to be. I don't know if I think that's what. I don't know if I believe that that's what's going to actually happen.
Speaker 8: We'll see one whale and free agency will convince me, or not not fully convinced me, but that'll at least put me on the right track to say, Okay, all right, I'm believing in what you're saying.
Speaker 7: Present tense.
Speaker 8: Now, let's see how you build on that with the remainder of your free agency moves, with what you do in the draft. But if they get a whale, especially at linebacker, in the first wave of free agency, then.
Speaker 4: Okay, you know, go ahead.
Speaker 9: Just so I'm clear, we're talking about whales. But you talked about our in house wales, so are you are you counting that or you're saying in house wales plus and from the.
Speaker 7: Outside, wonderful question. I love you for asking.
Speaker 8: The reason I love that is because what I want fans to understand is there are certain retentions that I count as a whale.
Speaker 7: For example, I count with Wales as well.
Speaker 8: So if you get a big retention, Let's say, for me, Donovan Wilson last year was a resigning for the Cowboys. That was a huge reacquisition, So that counts for me. For some fans it doesn't count because some fans only want to hear about who's coming in from outside of the building. You have to look at the in house free agents as high value targets as well, because thirty one other teams are going.
Speaker 7: Out and they're free agents at that point, correct, thirty.
Speaker 8: One of the teams are bidding against you for these guys, so their high value. Donovan Wilson is a perfect example. So Donovan Wilson last year that was that's a whale that got retained. What I'm saying is in addition to that, so let's talk about this year. I don't know that there are any whales this year going into free agency outside of Dorin Somstrong.
Speaker 7: But I don't think he's a whale. I think he's a big fish. Right.
Speaker 8: You want that big fish in this building. But if you can pair that against the name like Dak Prescott who's under contract by the way, Michael Parsons who's under contract by the way, Ceedy Lamb who's under contract by the way.
Speaker 7: Technically those three aren't.
Speaker 8: Set to hit free agency until next year or the year after anyway, so you can't really count them as Wales being retained this year.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 8: The only thing you could do is look at those top three contracts and say, if I get Dak done right now, I'll save twenty million dollars against the cap.
Speaker 7: If I get CD.
Speaker 8: Lamb dumb right now, how does this help me work on getting Michael Parsons done, you know, in a few months or next offseason. So if we were having that conversation, this conversation this time next year, then I'd say keeping Dak because you didn't extend. If hypothetically you didn't extend this year, next year, he'd be entry free agency, keeping him massive free agency.
Speaker 7: Keep. But that's not today's conversation. That's a great question though.
Speaker 4: But I will say, and they may not be wells, but I would look at a guy like Gilmore and I would say that that is an important reas signed in my opinion, because if you don't resign him. You better be going out and getting me a well in free agency or getting a cornerback high in the draft that can come in immediately play well, because as we saw last year, Number one, you can't have too many cornerbacks. You can't have too many good cornerbacks. His injuries happened, But beyond that, I do think in today's NFL, having three good cornerbacks gives you an opportunity to be successful. And they didn't get the ability to really realize that as much last year. But can you imagine what it would have been like last season if you had all three of your top cornerbacks available to you. After what we saw from Deron Bland, I'm like, I want Gilmour back or someone of his caliber. By the way, if you got somebody else that you want to go with younger that you think can provide that same level of play, great, But that's an important one for me. Maybe not a well, but a very important.
Speaker 9: One given where he's at in his career and his age and everything. Do you think that they can work out like a team friendly contract.
Speaker 4: I would hope so. I mean what you've heard from Gilmore in his what he said publicly, is that he wants to be here, that he enjoys being here, and so from that standpoint, I would think that there's a way to do it. Now, I don't these whole team friendly. I don't know if that necessarily exists anymore. I think at the end of the day, it's really more about like what does the player see as his value and what does the team see is his value, and if those things match up, then it works. Gilmore may be at the stage of his career where he understands, I'm not going to get a long term deal. It's going to be a shorter term deal. I'm not going to be the top cornerback in the league. It's going to be, you know, a good contract. They're going to probably be some incentives in there, there's probably gonna be some outs in there. And so I think when you look at it from that standpoint, if that all matches up to where his value of where he thinks he is, where the Cowboys thinks he isn't quite and here quite frankly. The other part to that what the other thirty one teams in the league thinks he is. If all that stuff matches up, then great. I think he would want to come back if he and the Cowboys see I on that. But I don't know that there's a team friendly deal as much as just as they got to see eye to eye on what they think.
Speaker 9: I think what I consider team friendly quote unquote nowadays is do I feel good about the deal? You know, That's what it really means. It's like, or do I feel like I'm over paying or you're just taking advantage of my mind? You know, like I just want to feel good about the deal. So that's more of how I see quote unquote team friends.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think when it comes to a guy like Gilmore, he he came in and he loved the locker room right off the bat.
Speaker 7: He loved the coaching staff right off the back.
Speaker 8: Guess there's been a coaching staff change as far as the coordinator and some things like that. But guess who's still here. Al Harris is still here. That's a relationship that's built that matters. We'll see what happens with the future of Jordan as well, which is a similar topic. But he sees the promise Gilmore does in de Ron Bland. He knows that Trevon Dicks is coming back and knows he only got a couple games with Trevon Diggs last year before you know that torn a cl He wants to see what this secondary can look like with him playing in tandem with Treyvon Dicks. That's something that he and Biggs talked about time and time again in last year's training camp.
Speaker 7: They were both excited.
Speaker 8: And keep in mind they also have a pre existing friendship from Trayvon going to Diggs, you know, weekly in the offseason, kind of watching film with him, asking him how can I Trayvon Diggs improve so forth and so on. So when you know that exists, and you know that Stefan Gilmore has come out recently and said I want to be back with the team, I think as long as the offer is respectable, then you don't have to outbid the other thirty one teams. You just have to put it on par on even keel with the other teams. And I think that that'll give you the livery to get Stephan.
Speaker 4: But I think one thing that'll be interesting to know before we take our break is I think in Washington and in Seattle you have guys that were formerly on this coaching staff for this defense that'll be interesting to me to see how many of these defensive players end up in Washington or Seattle, because in both those areas, what you know about coaches, coaches like to go when they get to a new spot. They love to go and get players who understand the system and what they're trying to do, because they can in effect then be coaches on the field for them. So I do think that that's something we got to keep an eye on. In this Senseance, you got two different teams that now have people in positions of authority that can can maybe try to get some of these these defensive players. I think that'll be very interesting before break.
Speaker 8: If dan Quinn tried to rate the cabinet to get all your coaches, you better believe.
Speaker 4: He's going to try to come and get the plays, and some of them. I'm okay with him taking others. I'm like, hey, you want to get there. I think we'll get that. We talk about free agency, We'll get it, all right, we'll talk about when we come back. This is Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 2: Todd thought it would be secure to jog and the cheat of Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast reliable, secure, it's not complicated.
Speaker 10: Five compatible planing device five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash fig for you for details.
Speaker 11: Cowboys fans, after that move, we've just coined the term rowdy replay.
Speaker 4: Let's roll back the table.
Speaker 8: Okay, there's our mascot rowdy cheering on the boys. And now he's on his phone on his Bank of America Mobile banking.
Speaker 2: App, staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial Assistant Erica.
Speaker 8: Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive. Cowboys fans just can't stop banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot com. Slash can't Stop Banking Everica.
Speaker 4: It's only available in the Elis language. You must download the latest version of the mobile banking app. Only available on Sleight mobile devices. Message dat rags apply Remember FDIC.
Speaker 5: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answered life's questions with an ice cold can of Dr Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller, would.
Speaker 11: You, Dear Doctor?
Speaker 2: My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 4: But what's the right gift that says thanks for being the soldier.
Speaker 6: To cry out?
Speaker 5: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious Doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do. Now, just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 3: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Dagonturf Dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 4: Back to the Break.
Speaker 8: Register now for twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Youth Camps, presented by Invisiline. Athletes of all skill levels, ages six to sixteen are invited to learn from the best this summer at Ford Center at the Star in Frisco. Football camps are led by former NFL players, and dance camps are taught by the current Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders. Registered before May seventeenth to save twenty five dollars, visit Dallas Cowboys dot com slash Camps.
Speaker 4: Welcome Back. It is the second segment of the Breaking Slide from Your Real Live from the SWBC Mortgage Studios at the Star. We're talking about some statements and some news coming out of the NFL scouting combine that's happening all week this week. Another statement that Stephen Jones had that I thought was interesting. He was talking about Tyler and Smith and was talking about the possibility of him moving to left tackle and oh yeah, this segment brought to you by blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 7: It's a pity for me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, honestly, Doctors was saying, I love this question that you're about to go. I love this idea with this convertation.
Speaker 7: I think it was to serve both purposes.
Speaker 4: Anyway, here was the quote I like you said, Yeah, I'm with you. The quote was that remains to be seen. It's starting to feel like Larry Allen all over again. Tyler's got that in him, and he was talking specifically. It's about about his versatility, it's ability. What do you think Tyler Smith belongs and what do you think he ends up?
Speaker 9: Honestly, personally at this point of his career. I know he's starting out and he's still very early, but based on everything that he has shown, I would defer more to putting him in that category. And I don't want to take him to the category of Tyrone Smith or Zach Martin, but I feel that the work is put in deserves for him to have a voice and opinion as to where he would prefer playing, where does he feel more comfortable playing, And then I would go based on that because I I think he can play both positions and I think he would be really good at both. But just going back to what I remember Zach Martin when he was asked to play tackle and him being like, hey, he did it. He was fine at it, but he didn't want to. And I'm not saying again, and I'm not saying because I'm maybe contradicting some of my opinions in the past, where I think like you, as a as a leader, as the one in charge, you have the voice to say, hey, this is where I need you, and you better do it. Just do it. This is what I'm asking you to do and what we're paying you for. But at the same time, I think it's reached that level in my opinion, to where I think he deserves to be heard and decide exactly what position. And then I would go from that point forward and decide, Okay, what other what's the other do I need to address guard? Or do I need to address the tackle position?
Speaker 8: First of all, I'm sitting here thinking it's wild that we're already in year three of Tyler Smith. Yeah, yeah, good grief, Okay, I feel like you keep them at left guard now. Over the course of last season, with the carousel of injuries on the offensive line, I said in the same seat, and I said, the easiest solution, the best solution, is to pop Tyler Smith out of left tackle. Whenever the absence of Tyron Smith came around, and that was the plan that would have worked in that aspect. Now you fast forward, they were hell bent. Mike mccarthury was hell bent on keeping Tyler Smith at left guard. Okay, well, now you're in the offseason and you have an opportunity to address your left tackle situation. Now, what does the dress mean to me? It means you bring back Tyron Smith to guarantee he's in uniform for twenty twenty four, but you also address it in the draft as well with a premium pick for the future. That's how you solve the left tackle equation and you allow Tyler Smith to remain where he is because if you truly want that. Larry Allen arc I get what Steven is saying. Alan, on a couple of occasions he popped out the left tackle. He was dynamic as well, just like Tyler was when he popped out as a rookie. That being said, the majority, the large majority of Larry Allen's dominance occurred at left guard. I think Tyler Smith can be an all pro left tackle. I think he can be a Hall of Fame caliber left guard, just like Zach Martin. I think Zach Martin can be an All Pro right tackle, but he's a Hall of Fame right guard.
Speaker 4: May be clear. Are you saying you don't think he can be a Hall of Fame left tackle.
Speaker 8: I'm not saying I don't think he could be. I'm saying, to state it more correctly, he has a better chance of being a Hall of Famer at left guard than at left tackle.
Speaker 7: Let me put it that way.
Speaker 8: Strength, his anchor, his hands, his build, He has enough athleticism to be dynamic. Hence me saying he could be an All Pro left tackle. But Tyler Smith in a phone booth is a nightmare. He's an absolute nightmare for those interior pass rushers for you know, three texts, the big nose tackles. Whatever the case may be, Tyler Smith has strength that many inside guys at this level don't have, let alone guys from the college ranks. When you talk about playing left tackle, when you talk about playing right tackle, strength obviously plays a big part of it, but not as much as footwork, hand placement, lateral ability. When you get tyrant Tyler Smith and a phone booth and you say, beat the hell out of that guy, he can do it. And if you need him to beat up two guys. He can beat up two guys. His presence there also helps your center. So rather your center is Tyler Biadish or someone coming in off the draft. And if it is someone coming in off the draft, guess what. Now they're young, they're a rookie, they need help. Thankfully, they might be bookended by Zach Martin and Tyler Smith. And I know those who are saying, and I had a conversation with someone on Twitter years so they say, well, what about TJ Bass. I think TJ Bass is a gamer. I think he's the future interior lineman, but not at left That goes to a conversation that I broached with one of my columns this offseason. It's also time to talk about the post Zach Martin era. I think TJ Bass is your post Zach Martin right guard. And that's how you have to view it. So for me, long form way of saying, I keep Tyler Smith right where he is at left guard now because you have an opportunity now to ad just left tackle. So moving him out there would just be a cop out to me. It would be you telling me that we don't want to address left tackle. We're just gonna move Tyler out. No, you no, don't do that. You do that in case of emergency. Those times have passed because the season is over, it's off season.
Speaker 9: So addressed to that, does it change your opinion based on what's the best or most talented player available in the draft depending on the position, Like if I don't know, I haven't gone into draft, that's not my thing, really, but I don't know what it looks like right now heading into this year, if there are more guards, you will have vowels.
Speaker 8: You will have a great without getting too deep into into the draft just yet, you will have a fantastic opportunity depending on how it falls, because we never know how it falls. But you have a great opportunity to get a future starting left tackle or a future starting center with the twenty fourth overall pick.
Speaker 7: So you're in a good spot for that. Now.
Speaker 8: Again, it depends on how the thing falls, because if you know, if somebody who's supposed to be in the top fifteen and I don't want to say an name set because I want to get too deep into it, drops down to twenty twenty one, then you have to start entertaining maybe a slight trade up or maybe you risk it.
Speaker 7: But then you go to BPA.
Speaker 8: So you have a CD LAMB type situation, right, so Barn a city, right Barn, a CD Lamb type situation where it's that blanking light that you have to take this guy. You will have a fantastic opportunity to address left tackle.
Speaker 4: And I think the thing about it, Stephen Jones even mentioned this. I think they try to get to the draft every year not having needs. Their goal is to fill their needs with free agency so that once they get to there, even if it's a stop gap type player, they want to make sure they don't have gaps when they get to the draft so that they can look and get the best player available. Because one thing I know this is a really really, really good draft team. Where they tend to fall short is when you can see them reaching for a specific type of player or specific position player. That's where you get into situations where you get a Taco Well. I'm saying they needed a pass rusher and they went into that draft we need a pass rusher, and then you and by the I don't think it's unique to the Cowboys. I think every team when you put yourself in a position where you go into a draft, thinking I got to get this. Then what you're basically saying is when you get to that position where you're going to draft, you're basically just looking for the best player at that position, where there could be five six players that are better players that are going to have longer careers in the NFL, that you even believe are better players that you could take. You just are going to go with the lesser player because you think you need them at the position.
Speaker 7: I don't like that at all.
Speaker 4: I think you have way more success drafting based upon the best player that's available to you. And I would even take it one step further than what you said, Amber. I would say, do what you need to do now. So if that means you go ahead and re sign Tyring, whatever the case might be, and then reevaluate after the draft. So if in the draft you happen it falls to where you got this really great guard prospect, you got this really great tackle prospect, now you can say, Okay, we got this really great guard, where do we want to put them? Okay, Tyler, maybe this is a conversation where we may need you to move to tackle. We weren't able to get to tackle that we want it, but we we just got we got a great guard, right. So I think that's what you do is you kind of give cover your basis. You go into the draft, you get the best players available, and then you reevaluate to decide where you need Tyler to be. Because craigt frankly, I know you're saying that that he has a better chance at guard. I don't know if he has a better chance to get into Hall of Fame at guard more than tackle. I think he's just a Hall of Fame type player, and I think wherever you put him, he probably will be a Hall of Fame type player.
Speaker 7: What else?
Speaker 8: So, but no, I was gonna say what I'll say to Mbo's first point as far as asking him, anyone who's had conversations with with Tyler Smith knows that if he's presented with the question from McCarthy that says would you rather play tackle to guard? His response is going to be as follows, wherever you want me, coach, wherever you want me.
Speaker 7: That's the type of way.
Speaker 4: Tell me who you want me to beat up? And that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 9: So that sounds great.
Speaker 7: No, No, you try to know.
Speaker 9: I know he's that type of player for sure. For sure, like he'll do what you ask him to do. But we all have preferences. I mean that is I mean.
Speaker 7: Feel like he's he's still something.
Speaker 8: I just feel like he's still in the pleasing stage of his career, whereas he yeah, congratulations by the way, Yeah, but he's not a six time all But he's not the Zach Martins of the world, the Tyrone Smith's of the world, where it's like you can when Zach was approached with playing right tackle, Zach was like, well, I'll do it, but I don't want to. And then because Zach said he didn't want to, they held off on that as long as humanly possible.
Speaker 7: Right, Tyler's not there yet.
Speaker 8: So and I don't I feel like he feels like he's and he knows he's not there yet. So when you go to a young guy coming off of year two and you know he's going to be afraid to say the wrong thing, so he's going to be like, you know, whatever you want me, coach, and going to play. So I believe that that's not just like pr speak for him, Like as it stands, he truly is like you want me to play.
Speaker 9: Tacks say something like like, hey, I'll do whatever you name to do. Yeah, I prefer this, but I still do that.
Speaker 7: Now now when he gets the year five.
Speaker 8: If by year five he's been a left guard this whole time and then they're like, oh, we need to pop you out the left tackle, I bet at that point he'd be like, yeah, but I'm a guard. Or rice versus if he's left tackle going through the end of the year five and they're like, we need to move you to guard, He's like, but I'm a tackle. So I think, you know, stripes like, there's levels to being able to have that kind of input. So I think McCarthy is in tune with where his player's preferences are. But I think if you're Tyler Smith, you just want to get out there and beat up on some guys.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 4: I just think it's a point wherell taken. I do think he's earned the respect to be able to at least be a part of that conversation, and if he has a preference, let it be known. You know, I go sometimes he may not have a preference because he looks at both of them, he's like, man, I see some good things about both of them. And I don't really know, so you tell me where you want me to be, right, So who knows. At the end of the day, I think I agree with you. I think it's the right thing that at least include him in that conversation because it does probably is gonna mean a little different kind of body that he needs to have for both those positions. So you kind of want to get some some feedback, and can I take a break and with you it where it's going to take. Our final break will come back. Patrick has a question for us. We'll see what that is. We've back Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 2: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatable plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 6: Don't put off getting your oil change, Dallas. Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys, is faster than you think. There's no appointment needed and no waiting room. Yep, you hurt that correctly. Take five is so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember, at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 11: It's the official Min's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP that's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 3: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere tractors, combines residential mowers, commercial moweres, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official lagonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas cow Boys. Visit United Aggonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 4: Back to the Break.
Speaker 8: Enjoy excellent dining, boutique, shopping, and exciting events in the Star District in Frisco, featuring dozens of North Texas's best restaurants and shops, plus a calendar full of family friendly events. There's always something to shop, dining, and do in the Star District. Visit the Star District dot com for more information.
Speaker 7: Welcome Back.
Speaker 4: It is the second segment of The Breakup. Sorry, final segment of the Break Life in SWBC Mortgage Studios at the Star We're talking about the combine and it's news coming out of the combine. Perhaps you got a question for us as we were heading into breaking.
Speaker 7: I do so.
Speaker 8: As we're talking about the Tyler Smith discussion, which is a great debate, by the way, I'm wondering what you guys thought processes on how does the personnel packages for rivals like the Commanders and the Philadelphia Eagles, two teams that are stacked on their defensive interior line, how does that impact your decision on where you play Tylers Smith.
Speaker 4: I personally believe I don't know that I think it's necessarily stronger one place the other. I get that they have some very strong players in the interior parts of the defensive lines for all three of those teams, But I also think there's some really really capable and some of the best pass rushers in the league. You look at at Son Reddick and I know we were talking in the break and obviously there's there are rumors out there maybe he won't end up being with Philly beyond this, I'll believe that when I see it, teams don't usually let go of outstanding pass rushers just to let go of the you know, so, who knows, right? I mean, who knows, but I just don't see him leaving. So I guess my point is, I think it's really every team invests in their edge rushers. So yeah, you can talk about just the NFC East, and yes, there are some great interior tackles, some great tackles in the NFC S. There are also some really great pass rushers, and you look around the league there's some really great pass rushers. I need to protect my quarterback. And my question then becomes, well, which one is harder to replace? If I put him at guard, is it easy to get a tackle? If I put him at tackle, is it easier to get a guard. I think it's probably easier to find a guard that can work than it is to find a tackle that can work. So when you start talking about it from that standpoint, I would also talk about replacement value and how heart that is to replace someone of his skill.
Speaker 7: What do you think?
Speaker 9: Well, it's a good question, very very interesting.
Speaker 7: Eles, Jordan Davis, Jalen Carter.
Speaker 8: Payne in Washington. That's a lot of heat coming at you on the interior.
Speaker 9: Yes, totally agree with that and very interesting. But you caught me out of moment in my life.
Speaker 4: Where where you're getting up at.
Speaker 9: All about working on yourself and not the out and not worrying about the outside noise outside. Like you know, if you work on your and you do what you need to do, then you should be able to take on whoever comes in front of you. So I think it's a good point. But where my mindset is right now is how can they be them their best selves? How can the Cowboys position themselves to be the best Where is he really going to strive or be more impactful on the line. And I think also that it's it's very difficult to predict the future and look ahead because we still don't know what other talent they'll be able to get and bring on in here. But for example, even last year when we were talking about Tyren Smith and the times that he was out, it brought to my mind a lot of times where I'm like, man, just move Tyler, move him to tackle because this is the trouble. And they ended up figuring out and Tyron Smith after their new workout week two week regimen and get him some rest. It turned out that it was very favorable for him. But right now I'm not worried about what these other teams currently have at past Rusher, I'm worried or concern, more concern on what are we doing, what do we in ourself work. I know this doesn't necessarily answer your question. It's a great question, but in the moment, I'm just worrying about me and.
Speaker 7: That and that's fair.
Speaker 8: And while you're worrying about you, you also in this league have to prepare for what you're to face. And when you're talking about that, it's it's an endless battle when it comes to divisional foes in the NFL. Whatever one, you know team does that excels that they excel at the next offseason. The other three teams will adapt to it. Right, I kind of more in recency bias. I'll convert it to the or compare it to the RG three conundrum. Right, RG three comes in, he's killing it for Washington Cowboys. Worried A three four at that point, and then they turn to a four to three to try to stop. So that's just a perfect example of you have to be your best self and build up your best form of yourself. But you also have to keep in mind that while you're doing this, who's who's who's pulling up on the front lawn, like right, and what are their weapons? And are you prepared for the weapons that they're presenting, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So I ask you this question. I understand the NFC East, and we've talked about that, and I've talked about some of the past rushers there, Kayvon Thibodeau's another guy throw out there in New York. That's a really good pass rush. That. That being said, when you get outside the NFC East, and let's also think about what the biggest challenge is for the Cowboys right now. It ain't necessarily a regular season, it's the postseason. So you start thinking about the teams that the Cowboys are going to face in the postseason. Have you considered Aiden Hutchinson in Detroit? Have you considered Nick Bosa in San Francisco. You start looking around that group of teams that you think are probably the teams that are going to be the hardest teams for you to get past. I don't know if you want to talk about Green Bad maybe you need to after what we saw, right, but the point is the point is that there's some edge rushers that you're having to deal with that are some of the best pass rushers in the NFL. I don't know that you can make the argument there is gonna be a harder challenge trying to deal with the defensive tackles that you're gonna have to face them. There are the pass rushers in him.
Speaker 7: Well see, and you're not wrong.
Speaker 8: And that's why you know, I think we're in agreement and wanting Tyron Smith back for at least another year. So Tyron Smith, when he's on the field, he showed you last year that he.
Speaker 9: I'm still thinking, okay, I'm still considering.
Speaker 8: Okay for those of us that have already made I guess for those of us that are on the seventy seven remains in Dallas train. When he's on the field, he showed you that he can he can play at an all pro caliber, Pro Bowl level. Tyron Smith camp, So that's why you want Tyron Smith back in the building. Then you go in you draft the future as well, but Mike, and that's how you handle the eight Hutcheson's of the world and nick Boss of the world. And then you hope that Terrence Steell having more time removed in a full off season, I know, the full off season from the injury that he's back at form.
Speaker 7: But for me, as much.
Speaker 8: As it matters more when you're going against the visional rivals who clearly have stacked the deck on the defensive interior so that they can penetrate in the middle and Paul's and break up your pocket. That being said, that being said, even outside of the division, if you look around the league, the general football science is that if you protect first and foremost, you have to protect the interior absolutely.
Speaker 7: Right of yours pocket.
Speaker 8: And then you work outward and you look at your edge guys and say, okay, now handle those guys. So because that's the formula for success on a weekend the week out basis, the question then becomes and again I've given roses to TJ. Bass as an example. I think that he's a good up and comer, brought koff int a good up and comer. My question would be, if you moved Tyler Smith to left tackle, can okay, Tyler Smith can handle Adon Hutchinson's and the Nick Bosas of the world, and Calon Thibodeauz one hundred percent he can. TJ Bass has shown that he can be a k pole starter, but we haven't seen TJ. Bass consistently go up against the Jordan Davis is the Jalen Carter is the you know, Jonathan Allen's the Pains of the World. So until you have that data, you don't have that data. So what we do know is that Tyler Smith can have and he did it last year.
Speaker 7: He basically made Jalen Carter a non story twice.
Speaker 8: And before Jalen Carter faced off against Tyler Smith, he was, oh, this is a potential rookiear that you look at the campaign he'sa having And Tyler Smith was like, I don't care about any of that.
Speaker 7: That's why I want Tyler Smith to remain at levet Go.
Speaker 4: But I also think that look at how many times last season we had we were.
Speaker 7: Looking at you do that, Jayalen? Why do you make me do it?
Speaker 4: We were looking at tackles last year and there were a number of times when it was like, Okay, Tyron is going to be out, and man, I don't know, can Chuma do it?
Speaker 7: I don't know? No, no, no.
Speaker 4: My point My point is how much harder was it for us to replace Tyron Smith than it was when Tyler was out. We found some guards. We were like huh. Look, I can play a little bit. Okay, I think it's easier to find and replacement guards that I think it is find replacement tackles. That's my point. I just think the replacement value. That's why if you look at it specific well, yeah, but if you look at the money and how the money spent, that's why teams pay so much more for their left tackle than they do for their left guard is because they think the replacement value on the left guard is not as high. You can go and find a left guard a lot easier than you can find a left tackle. And that's my whole point is if you've got a premium guy and an end this is the key part, he can and is willing to devote himself to playing tackle right, then I think it's a no brainer to me. I would say put the guy a tackle because there's more value there and you know you're going to get something that's harder to find, and you can replace the guard position a lot of all.
Speaker 9: Side of guard. I mean you're in the center, you're in the middle of two people, so you can always potentially get help from right center or the tackle to whoever is kind of still struggling and not being at their full potential there. But it's definitely an interesting concept.
Speaker 7: Keep in mind Run Game two Run Game as well.
Speaker 2: Yes, who.
Speaker 8: No, it is all across, but when you're talking about Tyler at tackle versus Tyler guard, you're really talking about Okay, how does this impact the rushing attack as well.
Speaker 4: Because there's there's a lot of things you can do with a really good guard. Not only can you go up, you can run up the middle a lot more, but you can also pull that guard, you can do some stuff on the outside. There's a lot more you can do with a good running, run blocking guard than maybe even what you can do with a run blocking tackle. So yeah, I agree with that. I think there's some value to that. But look, man, you know, I really wish, I really wish there was an NFL world where you could slide offensive lineman around during the game based upon different alignments and basic do the same thing you do with with with all the other positions. I think that would be just fun to see to see teams kind of adapt to that. I don't think it'll ever get there, but I do think it would be cool. All Right, we appreciate you guys, Jonas. We'll be back next week. We didn't get to the free agency talk. We will get to that next week because free agency will be right around the corner, so we will have to get the free agency next week. We'll spend a little time with some of the Cowboys free agents and.
Speaker 9: Then hold on, no no, no song in the show. We're not with that. I am not a tired hair. Yes, yeah, so let no, that's how rumors start.
Speaker 4: And then and then from here on out, all the fans will be like, well, you know, Amber hates tired You know, of course she hates tying.
Speaker 7: Ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 8: It's very clearly a joke if you know anything about Bard. She just like the rest of us. We love Tyrann the fame or future Ring of honor guy. She just is on the line on the fence right now, which is fair given the point of his career he's at.
Speaker 7: So let's let's be clear.
Speaker 8: It is fair for anyone who's wondering if they still want him back or not. It's fair to have that conversation. There are some of us who are ready to go ahead and make the commitment. Both sides of the argument have have substance. But when I go to that next week.
Speaker 4: We'll get to that next week when we talk about free agency, because I do want to have that conversation and I don't.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm actually kind of in between you guys, So.
Speaker 7: We'll have She's been four thirty, so she's a little spicy right now.
Speaker 4: I gotta get used to that.
Speaker 7: She's a little spice.
Speaker 4: You'll get used to it. You'll get used to it. I appreciate you guys joining us still next week for Patrick Walker and Ambergarcia. I'm Derek Eagleton. This has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.