Speaker 1: Welcome back to the solid Harbub, boys and girls. My name is ty Hildenbrand. Joining me over there in New York City my good friend Dan Rubinstein, sir, how are you.
Speaker 2: I'm good. I'm excited for people to hear this show and hear the good times they either were able to enjoy in person and relive them or hear what they missed out on, especially since the fact is they don't get to hear the Q and A part that's for live people only.
Speaker 1: The Q and A part is the live show exclusive. But the audio that we've posted for everyone to hear today is the recording from our Atlanta live show. We did it on Saturday, January the sixth. It was a Saturday evening before the National Championship. We packed folks in. It was a bit of a tight squeeze, but I think, as you'll hear from the audio recording, just a good time all around. This is maybe my favorite recording we've ever done, certainly my favorite live show.
Speaker 2: And I will add because people can't tell by listening to this. When we showed up, we had to set everything up, yes, so everybody was very nice. It was a pretty empty venue when we arrived so we were setting up chairs wild Tie, and I say we by whoever was there with me. Ty was just he unzipped his backpack and produced an entire live show and set everything up in about twenty minutes. So what you're hearing is pretty excellent all things considered, and it speaks to your wizardry. And yeah, just echuing. We had a fantastic time. We went out afterwards to a local bar with a bunch of people who were at the show. Media friends came out. I cannot stress enough how grateful we are for everybody who showed up, who had a great time, who you know, we were able to talk to and hear about their college football lives. It truly and I know I'm speaking for you Tie here, but it was. We were very grateful for everybody that made that evening pretty.
Speaker 1: Special, absolutely good times all around. We appreciate everyone who not only stopped by, but people who meetia friends who came on up and again helped add to the flavor of what it was.
Speaker 2: We were trying to do.
Speaker 1: More on that in a second, but very quickly. If you're a new listener, if you don't know what we're all about here in the off season. Just because the college football season is over does not mean we stop podcasting. Dan and I will be producing at a minimum one show a week, usually every Wednesday. You can tune back into your podcast aggregator, to our website, to any of our social channels and find more about what we're talking about. We put a call out on Twitter and Facebook and some other places try and get some feedback on what people liked last off season where we might head this offseason.
Speaker 3: Dan.
Speaker 2: The responses were pretty universal in that people really like nerding out in some form, whether it was the how college football works, which we have an episode ready to go correct correct, We have an episode that'll be if I had to guess the next two or three weeks that is correct, yep, ready to go, which I think maybe are nerdiest that we've done. Pretty happy about that, So scheme stuff people really want to hear more of, and we can certainly accommodate that. I think we're going to as in the next few weeks. I think figure out a way to look back on the season, because everything moves so quickly and there are so many games, sort of figure out where teams went right and went wrong. So obviously there's a ton of material to go over and figure things out. We've got the second signing day coming up here in two or three weeks as well, so we'll be talking about that. We have Q and a's throughout the off season. We'll have you know, off college football. You know, it'll be ninety eight percent college football. But sometimes anytime I'll make this promise Ti. Anytime we do a non college football show which I find to be particularly fun, like our Secret Garbage Bracket that we did last year, our nineties video game show that we did with Bill Barnwell, I will make this promise there will be a second episode that week that has to do with football, be it a Q and A, be it whatever. We will have that second to sort of pair with it. Because we care Tie.
Speaker 1: Please do if you have any feedback, if you want to, let us know on Facebook or Twitter, or even email us at soliverble at gmail dot com. We've got a bunch of new things in the pipeline over the next couple months. Whether it's a show, whether it's something in the tech space. We're working on all sorts of little things here in the labs. So reach on out let us know what is on your mind, and don't forget. You can tune in at a minimum every Wednesday we'll be putting out a brand new podcast, So keep it right here if you're into the verbal, if you're into college football, we will do our best over the doldrums of the college footble off season to keep y'all entertained. Okay, yes, what is this show we're about to put forth? This?
Speaker 2: This is our live show from Atlanta, Ty. This is what we did was we constructed a high school yearbook version of a look back onto the twenty seventeen that's right, the twenty seventeen season, so we have superlatives. We looked across college football fan bases to figure out which clicks various fan bases fit into, and we just generally had fun figuring out how, you know, September through early January fits into a twenty seventeen version of a nineteen ninety eight high school yearbook. It was a ton of fun.
Speaker 1: We worked right up until yeah, we hit record to get this in good working order. Thank you so much again to everyone who came out to the show who expressed interest in the show. There will be a live show later in the year. We're going to do fantasy things again out on the road in a different city, one that we haven't visited yet, and we'll probably do a live show. I'm thinking on the West Coast next year for the national championship.
Speaker 2: Is WESH Best Coast National Championship. I can feel it already. Can I ask you one question before we play the episode?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 2: Did you leave in the part? And this is all about transparency, did you leave in the part at the very very very end of the show, right before the Q and A where you asked the audience for a round of applause? Yes, I left it in.
Speaker 1: It wasn't what I meant. I wasn't trying to be boorish.
Speaker 2: I liked it that sort of the way. I just wanted you wanted a natural conclusion to the recorded part of the show.
Speaker 1: Without further ado, Dan, here is the Atlanta Live Show.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the solid Verbo call that for me, I'm.
Speaker 1: A man, friends, family, and loyal over Bawlers. The season is coming to an end, but we will never ever forget the lasting friendships we made and the special memories we shared. Put your hands together for Tie and Dan.
Speaker 2: Ty hailed and brand Dan Rubinstein.
Speaker 1: Whoa, Oh my god, ty forgot to turn its Spotify off.
Speaker 2: Come on, TI, here we go.
Speaker 1: How are you guys doing tonight? You guys warm everything, man, you guys mind you are squeezed in here. Thank you very much. This is alarm like there's a horrid upon us. There's a lot going on here tonight. Thank you and everybody, thank you Atlanta for coming out. Give yourself a round of the buzz. So hopefully everybody's comfortable. It's warmer in here.
Speaker 2: Than it is out there, So I guess that's the good news.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, no, tye okay with that, I feel great. So what are we doing here tonight? Well, tonight, we have a huge following in Atlanta, as evidenced by our crowd here this evening. Another who would rather watch us than NFL football, which, obviously, and as you know, one of the things people who have listened to the show for a long time now, we have done for as many years as I can remember, something we call the Verbies, which is our own little award show that we invented because we would just wanted to invent our own award show. We forgot to take a vote this year, We're doing something new. We're doing something new, So we thought this would be ample opportunity to maybe.
Speaker 2: Put something new together, kind of in the.
Speaker 1: Spirit of the verbies, but at the same time not quite the actual verbies. Right.
Speaker 2: So we are doing we are We're putting together a high school yearbook. We are dorks who graduated high school in oh Man. You're older than I am, aren't you. I am a little benty ninety nine.
Speaker 1: I graduated two thousand Okay, I graduated in two thousand and one. And as you can tell, this is just stylist. This is just this is good design right here. So we have a high school yearbook. We have superlatives, we have clicks, we have we're going through. I'm gonna write an uncomfortable message and sign it at the end. Now for Tie, We're gonna stay in touch over the summer and we're just gonna have fun with it.
Speaker 2: We're gonna celebrate the twenty seventeen season. We're gonna celebrate you. We are going to have guests here which we like and hopefully you were like you will be familiar with them. If you've listened to the show at all, and we're just listen. We played what Harvey danger and Harvey danger and mysonic like you know where this is going, like this is there's nothing accidental, So we have a lot in store for you, and it was I had a good time this season, ty, I had a great celebrating.
Speaker 1: And you know, part of what you find when you go through and exercise like this and you try to figure out, all right, what are our yearbooks of perlatives, you realize what the real nuance of.
Speaker 2: The season is, what the goofiness, where the.
Speaker 1: Goofiness was, and the things that really gave us the most enjoyment, not just from people who emailed in or called in or were part of the show in some capacity, but just the stuff that you and I enjoyed. You know, not everyone gets to hear the cutting room floor the way that we do, and the stuff that that we tend to enjoy the most is what we also cut the most because we realize we can't fill up an entire show talking about Josh Rosen in his hot takes.
Speaker 2: I am too, but that's I don't know if everybody else is true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you know people in Atlanta love UCLA. That is the obvious.
Speaker 2: Clearly, this is this is a hot bruined town. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So we had a lot of fun putting this together. We hope everyone's comfortable. By a show of hands, if we could how many people are here against their will. We got one shout out that was shout out here, shout out here.
Speaker 2: Those were very Are you guys comfortable? Can we get you anything now? We have two spare bottles of shiner Bock in the back. Yeah. Yeah, oh, Ty and I have already started. Yeah, we started, we started. Well. Thank you to everybody for coming.
Speaker 1: Our goal tonight is to not just do a show for the people who listen to us regularly, but also make it fun for everybody involved here this evening, So thank you to everyone for coming in. We know it's a little antra space, it might get a little bit warm, but the folks here at Switchyards have done a good job getting as many seats in here as we can, and we promised to try and make it as fun as we can for you over the next our hour and fifteen or so, and then typically what we'll do, as we've done on all of our live shows after about an hour and fifteen will essentially cut the recording.
Speaker 2: M hm.
Speaker 1: We've got some microphones here and too hot for podcast.
Speaker 2: That's right, too hot for pod, too hot for pod. Yeah, we will, we will take some Q and A people, so well enjoy it and I should mention. As soon as we settled on the fact that we're going to do a high school yearbook, I immediately said, ooh, I'm going to make a presentation and so oo first he said, oh, I'm going to fire a PowerPoint. He's like, oh, no, I'm going so creamium software people. This is a new technical challenge. Yeah, so why should we get into it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's do this all right, So everybody, you know, everyone's got a year book, hopefully I would assume here in attendance. You know how it works. We'll start off with a very easy one here. Yeah, most likely to succeed. Every yearbook I've ever seen in my entire life has a most likely to succeed.
Speaker 2: What are the defining qualities?
Speaker 1: This is an easy question, the defining qualities of most likely to succeed?
Speaker 2: Sure, who in college football would fit that billing? I mean younger players showing potential early on that they're going to be around for a while. They'll be household names if they already aren't right and that you know, look at this this electric personality, smart subbling about arming. Sure, absolutely they're going to be a household name what yes, look at this animating people. What if we went on the older Yeah, so, I mean we could have a spectrum there, right. We could have said Khalil Tate, Jonathan Taylor tailback, We could have said JK.
Speaker 4: Dobb J.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing that, like all these people.
Speaker 1: Would have been so good for this, we picked Bill. We picked Bill Hancock in the hotel room yesterday about four thirty. We're so happy and we were, we were I was very happy. We were unanimous in Bill Hancock.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So Bill Hancock, if you don't know, he is what the president of the CEO whatever, he is of the college football player PR figurehead. Yes, and so basically there was a BCS and everybody hated it, and he said, no, we're not having a playoff. It is logistically impossible. He was the head of the BCS.
Speaker 1: Sick and cocked any kind of playoffs because of school travel in class time. You don't want to miss class time in college football college ap I mean, no, guys, it's a problem. Okay, it's a real problem. So logistically speaking, this was this was a bugaboo. I love when you say that word, and then it became it became a pr thing, and miraculously within the span of about six to eight weeks to like, oh we can do a playoff.
Speaker 2: Sure, no problem, right, And then when people started saying you should have go to six, should have go to eight, like no, no, no, no, no, no no, we cannot ruin the sanctity read semi final matters.
Speaker 1: Our new tradition is four years old. We cannot ruin the sanctity of this tradition. As soon as we go to eight, who's gonna be in charge? Tie, it's gonna be Bill hank as soon as we go to sixteen, Tie, who's gonna be in charge?
Speaker 2: It's probably gonna be Bill Hancock.
Speaker 1: As soon as we have twenty teams on the field at the same time in a steelcage ladder college football match with a trophy, a top, no helmets, it's gonna no.
Speaker 2: Rule, It's gonna be the force ghost.
Speaker 1: Yes, Bill Handcock twenty seventy eight. Yes, Bill Hancock is in charge. That man will succeed. He will succeed. So, ladies and gentlemen, put your hands together for Bill Hancock most likely.
Speaker 2: To succeed twenty seven feet? What do we have next? All right, so the next one? You know, oh there? It is not every.
Speaker 1: Yearbook has the drama king, right, but there's always some allusion to somebody.
Speaker 2: Sometimes we'll have a drama queen and that's not that's not right, just somebody who's oiled constantly in the drama. So our options? What were some of the options we kicked around for this one? Oh my god? What did we kick around so for drama? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I mean we had I mean I was selfishly going in the Notre Dame direction with right of course, you know that was more tie hildon Brandt.
Speaker 2: It was anything Notre Dame. Right.
Speaker 1: We had were in Georgia country and Notre Dame lost out. That's what happens, that is, that's what happens.
Speaker 2: We got claps.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had a bunch that we sort of selected from.
Speaker 2: Are you gonna use Jim Harbi here? You can use Lane Kiffin here.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: We talked about a number of things, but we settled on something, uh sort of more. Yeah, there is. So here's a totally out of context quote from earlier today or yesterday, ty Hildon Brent, I can't stop staring at Baker Mayfield's crutch. That's true. Context, No, that's true. Accurate, that's true.
Speaker 1: So I laughed for a good fifteen straight minutes when I found that picture. I'm surprised you didn't use the blurred out one, which was so much funnier.
Speaker 2: Well, his mouth is blurred out. O his mouth is okay, yeah, so important.
Speaker 1: So Baker Mayfield for those who aren't familiar with Baker Mayfield, yeah, Baker runs a little hot. He does, he does, runs a little hot. You don't play Kansas and just stay cool. No, no, no, no, Baker Mayfield is not playing Solitaire on his laptop.
Speaker 2: So we have the Pretender signed from the Rose Bowl because that's what Lee Corso called him in August memory, I guess.
Speaker 1: And when an old man slights you, Yeah, that's the moment. That's the moment. I can't stand for this, right, that's the moment. So we got the pretenders and then we got the flag plant in the middle, which was an iconic moment.
Speaker 2: Week two college.
Speaker 1: Football, Oklahoma goes on the road to Columbus a big win, right, they don't win that game. Clearly they're not in the playoffs, but that was a defining moment for Baker Mayfield.
Speaker 2: He has a great game all as well. Everyone's excited.
Speaker 1: He comes back out after clearly a pre plaan stunt and decides he's just going to drop the Oklahoma the ou right in the middle and everyone's dancing around him and just kind of in a vacuum.
Speaker 2: I was for it, Yeah, of course I was fine with them. Yeah. And because of Ohio law, he's now a state senator. He has planted the flag and so that's he's very busy with a lot of elections. So no, he's wonderful and it's drama king in the best possible way. Absolutely, absolutely, we celebrate him.
Speaker 1: The one that I don't get is the one on the right up there or I guess our left, yeah, or your left if you're watching from the audience.
Speaker 2: We're competitive people. We've been there. We've got in Kansas.
Speaker 1: I haven't been there, Okay, So you know, I'm just saying in terms of in the moment, here's the context that did not occurr in a vacuum, Baker Mayfield plays Kansas.
Speaker 2: Kansas has nothing to play for for the most part. Man, Oh, we're here to celebrate college football.
Speaker 1: Be cool.
Speaker 2: You had very minimal to play for.
Speaker 1: Okay, And you know they seemed intent on playing for hurting Baker Bayfield.
Speaker 2: That was their explicit goal in that game, and so they didn't shake hands.
Speaker 1: It seemed like they were out to try and hurt him, and Baker, being who he is, got a little ruffled under the feathers, as I think any competitive person would.
Speaker 5: Sure.
Speaker 1: What I don't get is the crotch grab. Yeah, no, I know you, I mean you. I've never had a I've never had a moment in my life where I've put the worst thing you've done on the field of competition on the field, I've probably gone middle finger. Yeah, of course, So other're hand gestures.
Speaker 2: If I'm feeling creative, I'll do the jack in the box. Oh time, that's so much worse.
Speaker 1: What I know, I know it's a horrible person jack in the box.
Speaker 2: The crotch grab.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've never been in a situation where I felt the need to.
Speaker 2: Has anybody here done that? Anybody in the back? Does anybody want Section two?
Speaker 1: We're we're seeing very few hands here, right, So I'm not alone in saying that the crutch grab is a bit of a dying.
Speaker 2: It's a lot, it's a lot. No, but you know what, I sort of appreciate it that it's anybody you're going to do it. Yeah, it's created. Yeah, little Ernie McCracken to college football, a little bigger and okay, what do we have next? Put your hands together? Bigger Mayfield cutest, Oh my god, A couple. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So we thought a lot about this one, and I was particularly taken by Brian Kelly and quarterback controversies as huge, huge, adorable selfishly again because it's all about me.
Speaker 2: Who else did we consider here?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: Man? So we considered USC and expectations, Jimbo's rock Jimbo more on that in.
Speaker 1: Defense and American currency, Yeah, Jimbo, Fisher, Texas A and.
Speaker 2: M Yeah, oh my god, hot and heavy. Wasn't sure if he was going to propose, you know, maybe he was just stringing them along, but there they are, there they are. Time he was he was the last one left at midnight and needed a date. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we decided to go a little bit closer. Oh.
Speaker 2: I wanted to go Kirk herbs Street and the Pac twelve too. It's like a will they won't they? Are they gonna do it? Are they going to end up together? That's right, that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we decided to cut a little closer to the soliverbal bone.
Speaker 2: Yeah we did. And so without further ado, there he is, there, he is, There is Adam. I mean and food.
Speaker 1: Wat and as a special treat to those of you who paid fine American currency, come and see this damn thing. Please welcome Adam, Adam.
Speaker 2: I'm on, Adam. Are you hungry? Yes? Okay, good? Just making sure so starving right now?
Speaker 7: Hi?
Speaker 2: Hi, Hi, how are you? I'm doing wonderful. Look at all these beautiful at this How great are you guys? Right now? This is awesome.
Speaker 1: You get to see Adam on a Saturday night, not a Friday night. It's a very oddome for all of them to be in right now.
Speaker 2: So we have pictures of you.
Speaker 8: I look, I don't anyone could look if you replace the barbecue in that first photo with like a baby, how evil would that look? It's true, that would be the most evil look you could possibly get.
Speaker 1: While holding a chib, happy skeptical out of his mind. Notice what I'm skeptical? At the blooming on you and is Ryan Nanny here? No, of course not.
Speaker 2: I cannot defend.
Speaker 8: Himself, still trying to get the smell off actually right, and that happens.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: You're a broadcaster, obviously everyone here loves you, but it takes some gumption to work yourself up to exposing that deeply personal moment.
Speaker 2: It is whatever in the middle of.
Speaker 1: The game podcast that people care about deeply, you know, shout out to what New Mexico listen.
Speaker 8: Colorado State fans are really intense ms. I decided to turn away from Michael Gallup and start talking about cocktail shrimp.
Speaker 2: So what is the what are those things to go hand in hand? As I'm concerned, what is the genesis of adam amine in the booth?
Speaker 8: So week one we were in Madison, Wisconsin to open up the season, and we put together a brand new production crew. So we had a new producer and a director. The producer is basically the person in the truck that runs the entire show, and the director is the person that is in charge of all the camera shots that you see over the course of a game. So we got paired with a new producer and director, and I got paired with a new partner, Dusty Devorceek Fromer, Oklahoma Sooner and Molly McGrath was back with us on the sideline, and our producer really creative, and he noticed that we were actually the youngest broadcast crew at ESPN for college football.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 8: I really this year for sure, And I don't know if this is a fact, but somebody told me that we were the youngest crew in the history of ESPN Television for a college football package, like overall age.
Speaker 1: So this guy, yeah, before they were stars right here.
Speaker 8: Nice job parents for waiting until we were going to be millennials.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 8: So our producer, while we were in the middle of the third quarter or something, had this billboard. Those billboards are the shots you see in the advertisements to pop up.
Speaker 2: College football is brought to you by.
Speaker 8: And one of the places that was nice enough to let us film some footage in their place was a place called Fromage. It's a cheese place in Wisconsin.
Speaker 1: Because we're all shocked that that is I I think, I don't know if this is a fact, but I hear it's the first one ever. So they decided to let us kind of indulge in some of their property and their and their their product, and they brought it to the booth for us, and we showed off some of the cheese and we started eating the cheese TV because there's food in front of you and why would you not eat it. Dusty, by the way, sidebar was choking on a piece of bre on camera and did not I did not realize it until after we went to commercial and he started screaming for a bottle of water to try to like clear out his throat because he almost died in our Horst game together.
Speaker 2: Because that was fun.
Speaker 8: But we had so much fun with it and it was really entertaining, and our producer was like, you know, people really seem to like that moment for whatever reason. So a couple of weeks later, we're in El Paso, Texas. What do you do when you're in El Paso? You go get tacos? And our producer brought us a bunch of tacos to the booth. The week after that, we were in Boise, Idaho. What do you eat when you're in Idaho? Potatoes? And they brought us a bunch of potato products And we didn't do it every single week we didn't do it, and you know, when the game was really really tight or really good, we didn't force the issue. But when you get to the second half of the year and it is UNLV against BYU, two teams that didn't have great seasons this year, don't have a ton to play for at the time, how do we spice it up a little bit? So we're in Las Vegas and cocktail shrimp because there's like sixty thousand pounds of cocktail shrip consumed there like every day essentially in Las Vegas.
Speaker 1: Straight from the Spearman Rhino right to the bood exactly. You should have seen who delivered it. That was very interesting.
Speaker 2: Okay, So do you what was his name? It was James. James delivered it. Okay. So here's my question.
Speaker 1: When you get to week nine and you realize you've been eating a lot in the food, is that a heavy cross to bear?
Speaker 8: You have to you have to up the game every I was gonna say, I didn't think we had to like really step up our game every single week. I think it was more the regional aspect of all of it. One day we did eat sandwiches because it was National sandwich day. We just felt that was you have how dare we?
Speaker 1: Yeahs the sanctity of National sandwich Days, So we had to eat sandwiches that night in the booth fair also shout out to the obstructed view section over here, we.
Speaker 2: See you and we love you. We love you, we love you. This is like you two with the one. Are you gonna eat anything on the sideline at the National Championship game? I don't think.
Speaker 8: I don't think that there's not gonna be allowed on the field. I don't think that's They're gonna be very happy with us in the brand new stadium bringing food. Yeah, as you guys, As you guys accurately pointed out, apparently the prices for concessions at Mercedes Benz Stadium are very reasonable, very far.
Speaker 1: Of all, a big, big win for all the reason reasonably price. Next and maybe some football. That's what we're here for.
Speaker 2: That goes a long way.
Speaker 1: So thank you for being half of the guys in Earnest. In Earnest. Now he's a great broadcaster. He's an even better guy, so put your hands together.
Speaker 2: Weird that he just happened to be here. We are, We are so fortunate we had no idea. So let's go from that.
Speaker 1: Let's go from that dramatic personal, deep moment of sincerity.
Speaker 2: Two worst senioritists.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, did you have senior witis when you're in college? For college or high school? I had high school?
Speaker 2: Oh my god? Yes? When when did it set in for you? Junior year?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Probably the second semester that I just sort of you know, I studied for the tests I had, but I didn't really pay much attention.
Speaker 1: So when we thought this, we kicked this one around. We're trying to think, you know what, what is what exactly a senior witist? Soone no senioritists. It's like, all right, you're a senior, you don't you kind of stop caring about what's going on in the classroom, start to start fading, start mailing it in, kind of have the.
Speaker 2: Rest of what happened to that guy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the next thing is already planned out, So if I'm not here, it's not really going to affect my future.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, mm hmmmmm. North Carolina, Oh yeah, I mean from day one, North Carolina was just like, nah, I'm good. We had a conversation. Yeah, excuse me.
Speaker 1: We had a conversation in the hotel room yesterday when we were putting this together, and Dan.
Speaker 2: Three weeks ago when we were putting this together, very prepared.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dan had one of the funnier comments that I wish would have been recorded, and he said, you know, I kind of feel like North Carolina had Mono all year, but no one knew that they were Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Happened to Trevor.
Speaker 1: Trevor was in APUs history in September, but like, still Mono North Carolina.
Speaker 2: Still, I mean good for North Carolina, but still to the point where what's it one in seven in conference?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Not great. They just sort of And we looked around college football and even the bad teams that were expected to be okay, people talked about how they were bad North Carolinas, Like have a football team there, They're not good North Carolina. Put your hands together, the North North Carolina.
Speaker 1: Yeah, class clown, Yes, I feel like you would have been a good class clown.
Speaker 2: I was a nominee. My brother was better than I was, but each brother, Max was better. Really Yeah, he pranked. This is a very long story, but I'm gonna make it short. My brother Max basically pranked called his history teacher as Regis Philbin when an old student was on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? And he just he was on a payphone outside of the classroom because the teacher said we might get a call and it might be a lifeline call. And my brother went like, this is regis you know that kind of thing, and then just hung up and came back into the room and everybody looked like they had seen a ghost. And he said what happened, and they're like, well, you just call it. But then he got cut off and it's all bad, and then my brother cracked up and it's so evil.
Speaker 1: But yeah, he was a good class clown that that would definitely qualify for class clowns.
Speaker 2: So every yeah, this is like most likely to succee it.
Speaker 1: Every yearbook I've ever seen in my life, and I've seen probably two. Yeah, at least those two had class clown right, class clown college football, you got a bunch.
Speaker 2: Of different ways you got.
Speaker 1: Obviously, Mike Gundy would be a strong candidate because of the hair.
Speaker 2: See I feel hair goes a long way. He has built for a yearbook, like I would see if we looked at the yearbook now, I feel like it would probably age pretty well, Like I feel like we've come pretty far. But Mike Gundhy, he's just locked in into like a nineteen seventy seven yearbook. He's got a grand am or something. He's great class clown Gundy.
Speaker 1: If less Miles were still in the game, less Miles would be that sort of character, just somebody who amused from Michigan's off in the running, Zach, who's right there? My wife is here.
Speaker 2: Sorry, sorry about that. What do we have? What do we have?
Speaker 10: We want a different direction, of course? Of course, of course, how could we not?
Speaker 1: We could go literal with the person or the coach, or we wanted to go collectively. Lane Kiffin and the Twitter, Yes, specific and Twitter, because both in their own right are interesting for separate reasons. Yes, Lank Kiffin obviously has had some modicum of success as a college football coach. Controversial, mind you, definitely controversial, But he has been successful. Look no further than what happened this year at Florida Atlantic. Right, he will be sought after name before long. Once again, his Twitter sort of comes out of nowhere, comes.
Speaker 2: Out of nowhere. For a long time, we didn't know much about link. Come to the FA you capital you. That's how we didn't know about him.
Speaker 1: He is this murky, shadowy, controversial figure about whom we didn't know a whole lot. But now that we see his Twitter, Twitter can be a portal into someone's true personality. And he is here for the snarky jokes on Twitter. He's not here, He's not here.
Speaker 2: Here are you here?
Speaker 4: Lane?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, Cline is not here, but he is there on all social media platforms for the Kim Jong un photoshop graphics. He's here for the rat poison dig at Nick Saban. I would imagine he's pretty much up like bud Light up for whatever on Twitter. I don't know to get his name out there, even if it's just like a release for him personally.
Speaker 2: And the good thing about the class clown is everybody's glad that the class clown exists and provides a service in the back of the classroom. You definitely don't want to, like start dating seriously the class clown. You don't want to get in a road trip situation with a class clown.
Speaker 1: You just like it's good to admire him. From AFAR two two under eighty characters at a time. Yeah, yeah, like Kiffin, Class clown. Yeah all right, yeah, real quick, because you've got to pay the bills. What shirt are you wearing right now? Just out of curiosity?
Speaker 2: Uh, probably a proper cloth shirt tie? Is that how you wear to work? That's what I wear to work? That's what I wear to sleep. That you when it fits you so well and you look so good, why ever take it off?
Speaker 1: It's a completely custom made, custom fit shirt because, as you know, finding a dress shirt that fits can be very difficult because something's always off. Thankfully, ordering a custom fit shirt it's never been easier. Thanks to our friends over at propercloth dot com, you can easily create a custom shirt size in seconds by answering just ten simple questions.
Speaker 2: You can choose from over twenty.
Speaker 1: Collar styles, ten cuff styles, five hundred fabric styles classic to business To completely customize the shirt and get the exact style that you want. The team over at proper Cloth they will work with all the best fabric producers around the globe. They only buy fabrics that meet their high quality expectations. Best of all, they guarantee a perfect fit, so if somehow you get it and it doesn't fit, they will remake it for free. We've set it time and time again. It's the future of shirts completely custom just for you, starting at just eighty bucks. Stop wearing shirts that don't fit. Look your best with a custom fitted shirt. Go to propercloth dot com slash solid, propercloth dot com slash solid today, enter the gift code solid Solid and save twenty dollars on your first shirt.
Speaker 2: Dan Ty, I'm going to a wedding in suburban Detroit this coming weekend. What will I be wearing proper cloth?
Speaker 9: I will be wearing proper cloth.
Speaker 1: And as you're headed to that wedding, I know we're a rough and tumble crew, but you need to clean up, Dan, and I would.
Speaker 2: Suggest maybe you consider using your Harry's razor. It's ready to go.
Speaker 1: Harry's can save you about one hundred bucks a year if you're a frequent shaver. I've used Harry's for quite some time. It works well for me. We've had other people right in. They appreciate that Harry's is a sponsor of the program. What I like about it is the razor. Yeah, you buy one off the shelf. It's like shaving with the seven forty seven. Harry's is sleek. Harry's is stylish. Harry's is smooth. Harry's is all about a great shave at a fair price.
Speaker 2: I like how it feels in my hand. TI, there's a great grip, there's hef to it in the best way. Over three million guys have switched over to Harry's Dan. A good shave comes down to the blades, and because Harry's owns their own factory, they're able to deliver amazing quality blades just two dollars a blade compared to the what four dollars or more you'll pay at the drug store ridiculous.
Speaker 1: All of their products are backed by a quality guarantee. They're so confident Dan that you're gonna love their blades that they'll give you their trial shave set for free when you go to Harry's dot com slash solid. That's h a r r ys dot com slash Solid.
Speaker 2: All you gotta do.
Speaker 1: Is pay shipping. Claim your free trial offer from Harry's today. It's a thirteen dollars value that you get for free when you sign up again. Just cover shipping. You get a weighted ergonomic razor handle, five precision engineered blades with a lubricating strip and trimmer blade. Rich lathering shavegel and it's underrated, but the travel blade cover MM the greatest. Get your free trial set today by going to Harrys dot com slash solid right now, that's Harry's dot com slash solid.
Speaker 2: This one's important.
Speaker 3: This is up.
Speaker 2: So when we looked up, we went, I know it is too soon for tie most of them.
Speaker 1: Most likely to be catfish, Yeah, is what we have here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. When we looked up what happens in modern yearbooks, because we are so old at this point and remove from yearbook time, this was a very popular category most most than most likely to catfish, I would say, yeah, oh definitely.
Speaker 1: If you won most likely to be catfish, there's.
Speaker 2: No way that's a compliment, right, disagree. Most likely to be catfish means you are genuine, you are earnest, you believe in the best of people. Why would anybody try to pull one over on me that kind of thing. It's like being voted most gullible. Yes it is. It's just the modern version of most likely to be catfish.
Speaker 1: Yes, so there is some I guess parallel in the catfishing universe in the college football universe. As it turns out, Manti Tao with his former girlfriend. Yeah, Lenny Kakua, Hey, may she rest in peace. Everybody be respectful. Most likely to be catfish is apparently a very real yearbook category, and so we kind of we kicked it around. We thought, what are the essential qualities of falling into the catfishing category?
Speaker 2: Bad with technology? You know, maybe you haven't clicked.
Speaker 1: Yet, that maybe a willingness to sort of be accepted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do whatever it takes to follow your dreams. Something like that. Yeah, we couldn't decide on just one. We had a tie. There he is there, he is there.
Speaker 4: They are hurt.
Speaker 2: Her Edwards didn't allegedly know the name of his own team, allegedly.
Speaker 1: And Jim Harbaugh seems like he's very in the weeds with social media, but kind of like a little bit like when the parents got social media. When the parents got Facebook, it's like, oh cool, like we can be on Can we be your friend?
Speaker 2: How does it work? Jim Harbaugh feels like if a pop up came up that said there's a virus on your computer, please call this number with your social security and I'm We'll be like, yeah I have to, or thank god they gave me this number.
Speaker 1: You are owed one hundred and fifty million dollars from the Queen of Nigeria.
Speaker 2: You never know. Jim Harbaugh's and Herm Edwards just it feels like he's been away for so long. You know, he's going to go into Instagram dms to talk to recruits.
Speaker 1: He's one hundred percent getting catfished. My thing with my thing with HERM Edwards, excuse me? Was you know, we had a bunch of we were trying to figure out categories and then candidates and actual winners for some of these categories, and for HERM Edwards, I was really torn because he totally fits the bill here, right, totally fits the bill, of course, but he also kind of fits the bill of someone who, like may have, at some point, either via Facebook or some other social media platform, right, really tried to.
Speaker 2: Sell you on like selling herbal life. Absolutely, you know, absolutely he does.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, you know, like some sort of quasi I hope there are any herbalife dealers in.
Speaker 2: I could see I could see HERM. Edwards sending an entire letter in a text message, like a seven paragraph text message love her. Yeah, yeah, I could one percent see that. And the same for Harbaugh.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, they both fall into the category of I think being a little bit too eager and maybe in some of the wrong ways, because technology.
Speaker 2: Sure is a few light years in front of them, yeah, or behind them, depending on your perspective. So Herm Edwards, Jim Harbarr, Herbadwards. So we don't know any of those kids highway.
Speaker 1: That is what appears when you do a Google image search for nineteen ninety seven high school.
Speaker 2: That's true. So we don't have the rights to do.
Speaker 1: My particular favorite is a gentleman in the lower right corner going with my first mustache. Look, it is always a classic in every high school year book.
Speaker 2: One of the things that's a pretty problems like he's hiding something, he's got a secret, he's got something.
Speaker 1: One of the things that we've noticed in most of your books is it's not just superlatives, but they also try to identify like friends forever, Yeah, you know, friend student group, best clicks, Yeah, you know, the the bandos, the tech geeks.
Speaker 2: A club, various clubs, stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Well, there's some obvious tie in to what goes on in college football in a variety of different ways. So we thought maybe we'd invite another esteem guest, please of a solid verbal up onto the stage, something like that from SI dot com.
Speaker 2: Mister Andy Staples, come on up and all right, I'm gonna knock. I'm good. You must be cold, you run warm. I live in Florida.
Speaker 4: I don't. I can't handle this.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: Oh, turn the mic on.
Speaker 1: We have it.
Speaker 2: This is why he's a technological genius.
Speaker 5: Yes, when I have problems with my podcast, I just text high Yeah, this is so okay.
Speaker 2: Student life clicks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all right, I'm glad you mentioned friends Forever Pages, of course, and I was on the yearbook staff.
Speaker 2: By the obviously I look at him, didn't look like this.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, I graduated high school in ninety six, so this is perfect, right.
Speaker 2: But so the friends for that is Andy right here that.
Speaker 5: The Friends Forever Pages were basically the rich kids who could afford to take out three hundred bucks to the yearbook staff.
Speaker 2: Thanks for that, the class in.
Speaker 4: Yes, none of my friends invited me to this. No oh no, I thank him for.
Speaker 5: This because there's like this bridge in a playground right off campus, and everybody shot it on the same bridge, and it's like all the people that never invited me to a party in one place.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, but now look at you.
Speaker 1: It hurts just to also eat and cover college football. That's right, Yeah, that's right, call doctors and lawyers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, losers doors. So we have clicks, tye, then if help us out with we have our own opinion, all right. But as somebody who is carefully studied in the art of eighties and nineties teams.
Speaker 5: Also have been yelled at by every fan base, that's true. I feel like I've got a good handle on it.
Speaker 2: So the reason Andy mentions that is by looking at clicks in a yearbook, we're going to ascribe we're going to associate various clicks with college football fan bases because obviously obvious, and I see some members of my clicks.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, okay, okay, where should we start, tie, let's start with a We're gonna start with the band.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's start with the bands, all right? Do you have your bands?
Speaker 5: I do, But it's not it's not so much related to the school's band for sure, because a type of person. If you've ever pissed off a band group on social media, you know they are a small group, but they are a vicious group, right.
Speaker 2: Yes, they're the Honey Badgers.
Speaker 5: So I'm gonna go with one near and dear to the heart of someone on this stage, the University of organ.
Speaker 2: Oh no, it's okay.
Speaker 4: They get sixty thousand people into their stadium.
Speaker 2: But if you run a foul of them, oh good use of a foul with I didn't miss that.
Speaker 4: I didn't even have to pay royalty.
Speaker 2: Well done so.
Speaker 5: But no, if you if you say something that ticks them off, if you maybe suggest during Mark Halfritz's tenure that he didn't recruit very well before he got fired.
Speaker 2: Now now they say that too, but.
Speaker 5: They would come at you with some of the most horribly misspelled, poor grammar.
Speaker 2: It's rough and just vicious. I apologize, just dance text. Yeah, I really do. I feel so bad because you're so kind and nice and really yeah yeah, ty, Who did we have as our bandos? I mean, what is paramount of a bando? Sure? Well, so it's sort of they have a skill, right, they have a very specific set of skills. I apologize, a very specific set. Now, I'm imagine somebody to piccolo show through their brain, right, yeah, absolutely, no, there's talent. There's talent associated you know, they do their precise in what they do they have a musical talent, but certainly there is a pack of tribal mentality to a band's member. I kept, you know, and it's not the right answer.
Speaker 1: I kept thinking like a Navy, because a navy is very specific in what they do, a little bit walled off for a variety of reasons, maybe the college football ether at large, but still kind of in that mold that they're very specialized.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Bando's great at push ups.
Speaker 1: At push ups, yeah, notoriously, So it may not be quite as controversial yeah as Oregon, But that was sort of my first that that was kind of the train of my thinking here.
Speaker 2: So what do we say? I think I had like packed twelve fans in general. I think I had something like that where they go to good schools. There's a certain amount of like what about us, the forgotten class? They don't they do feel forgotten?
Speaker 5: Yeah, And then when you point out that they don't care enough to even get their own network on DirecTV.
Speaker 1: Right, they get that, Oh, I'm aware, I'm aware you're not well to spend a dollar twenty yeah for your network.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's true, all right. So next one is simply the cool.
Speaker 5: Kids who are the cool kids. The cool kids, they don't exist. Well, I'm I'm glad you established that. We're talking circa mid nineties, right, because as we know, the cool kids are now the popular or the the nerds are now the popular kids.
Speaker 2: Right, so things are all upside down? Is that true?
Speaker 5: I think I have nieces high school a big moment for time. We would have killed it in high school now. But okay, so the cool kids I went with Texas. Okay, so they got money, they got all the hip spots. Yeah, they know all the right places.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but when you look a little deeper, there's not really anything but insecurity.
Speaker 1: It's not wrong a perfectly at six.
Speaker 2: Yeah they are six and six in life.
Speaker 3: Wow, WHOA.
Speaker 2: Somebody tweet that out. Tough but fair, tough but fair.
Speaker 4: The nerds they're going ten to two.
Speaker 2: Yeah. See I had TCU TCY.
Speaker 1: We both agreed on TCU TCU, just because if we're going to go with the textbook definition of cool, it's just that they're sort of above it all.
Speaker 2: They're chiller than they should be. They they're in the better part of the DFW area.
Speaker 4: They're not quite as uppitty as SMU.
Speaker 1: Right, you're not as up ay as su and like if they go nine to three and ten two every year, they're sort of cool.
Speaker 2: They love their coach, just sort of like and the other the other.
Speaker 4: They still have all those girls dancing behind the visitors bench.
Speaker 5: You said it now, which is on purpose, by the way, the other coy you do Texas ad bringing the good idea.
Speaker 2: Yes. The other key element is expectations.
Speaker 1: Yes, and the expectations at TCU aren't nearly as high as they are at Texas.
Speaker 2: I think that's fair to say in a given year.
Speaker 1: And the cool kids always kind of have that aura where they know there might be some expectations that exist, but at the same time don't really care, like they got kind of above it.
Speaker 2: See we went to different high schools. I'm learning this.
Speaker 5: There was a very much implied arrogance among the cool kids, right, and hence my choice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's right. I think you nail it. What's our next item? Where do we want to go next? Let's say jocks the jocks.
Speaker 5: This one's easy, and we've got a prime example right in here in front the University of Alabama.
Speaker 1: WHOA.
Speaker 5: This is the type of fan base that when you were trying to do what a nice, normal LSU fan would do and pass out at Crystal Loss.
Speaker 2: Trying to get a good nice sleeves.
Speaker 1: You.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the jobs. So one, that's roll down one, roll time two. This was so easy, this one. Yeah, this was so simple and it was so easy. And what I wrote down in trying to figure this out is who would oath from Revenge of the Nerds root for Ogre? Excuse me? That's what? And I just fro ti.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: See that's a deep cut deep and that's why Andy is in the Nerds. That's why Nerds. What do we have next? What was the one I'm in front of? That movie does not hold up? Do we want to go to the Nerds? I have a I have a Nerds one. Let's go, let's go to the Nerds one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we got another one in the front row. Did you guys know we did not plan this? Okay, what do we have?
Speaker 2: Well, we had this too. A Michigan man, Yeah.
Speaker 5: A Michigan man is someone who, in class, when the teacher's about to dismiss you, will raise his hand and say, miss Crenshaw, you forgot to give us homework.
Speaker 2: And a Michigan man always does his homework. Part of me was so when I when I thought about the sort of generic term for nerds, I was saying, somebody who cares way too much, right, somebody who who like, if we're gonna take the stereots, but like a Star Wars or a Sci Fi nerd, they're they're deep diving.
Speaker 5: So we had a guy at my high school who he would wear the periodic table, the element short, the schematic of the enterprise, but his his thing was Babylon five.
Speaker 2: Okay, sure he was deep in a battle.
Speaker 4: Yeah five, And that's that's the Michigan man too.
Speaker 2: I don't think you're wrong, but this is the direction I went. They care too much. They care every day they are looking. They're trying to overturn every rock for a clue about something, some new nugget of information. So shout out to Ole, miss and Mississippi State fan. Wow, the state of Mississippi well needs to do some other stuff, meet some beats.
Speaker 5: Some different extrac Ever, have nerds get into fights at your high school?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: I actually is that not the egg bowl. We're on the same page, and I like the bridge that this this has between Shaye Patterson. It's like it makes sense right to Michigan from ole mess Yeah, a direct line of sight? Yes, what what is our do we have a final click that we want to spacing fine drama.
Speaker 9: Drama dorks, I believe drama do excuse me?
Speaker 4: Uh this one.
Speaker 5: These people are the most theatrical fans I know. I don't understand what they're saying.
Speaker 2: Half the time. I don't know if I even want to know. Texas A and M. Yes, there it is like this part.
Speaker 7: I get gig him happy, but when the yell leaders get up there, it is I don't know what that means, right, But eighty thousand people in the stands do right, and that bothers me.
Speaker 2: They're they're weirdly exclusive, very drama doors. They put on shows for things that Why why there are horses? I think I've se horses.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's college.
Speaker 1: There's there's a dog that's worshiped. It feels very dramatic, very theatrical. Right, Yes, the dog is the general.
Speaker 4: It's exactly something that my drama club would have done.
Speaker 2: Yes, worshipped a dog. I don't think we can go any further.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Ladies and gentlemen, Andy Staples, I'm somewhere's my wife.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I'm sorry he said those things about Michigan.
Speaker 1: So this is this is another category for the obstructive view section that we looked online because we've been out of the yearbook game for quite some time now, and they apparently have a category for worst driver.
Speaker 2: In a lot of yearbooks. Yeah, it's you know, and and of some of the other ones that you find, you see most unique.
Speaker 1: Right, and I got it's actually tough to find a bad driver because it's all yeah, but like most unique, at least, it's something you want to give to somebody that you sort of like but don't want to compliment, right, right, absolutely.
Speaker 2: But worst driver is pretty much a dig and the only you are bad at this central life thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So the only reason that you could ever win worst Driver is if like you crashed into the school.
Speaker 2: Right if you did. You could win it if you were like a charmingly bad driver. I don't know exactly what that means, but yes, that would be a way to honor somebody like that.
Speaker 1: So you can draw your own parallels here into the college football world. We drove a fairly obvious one with our selection.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's sort of like it's difficult to screw up driving an automatic car.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 1: It's tough to have a losing record at Florida, it really is. It's tough to drive that program into the ground. In fairness, in fairness, in his two plus seasons at Florida, he did not have a losing record. He was twenty two to twelve. He won the SEC East twice by all accounts. Yes, that's a good thing, right right, absolutely, So why worst driver? So just as a program, that's it's pretty easy to win at Florida, relatively speaking. And for Jim mceawaane one, this is another out of context ty quote, like the Baker Mayfield jump thing. I can't stop looking at Jim mcawayan's face. I cannot say this is my favorite picture in the history of college football. Yeah, he really likes this. So it's just a matter of he he screwed up basic things.
Speaker 2: He screwed up.
Speaker 1: He never put his blinker on at Florida. He never checked the mirrors, he never merged carefully. And that's how you get on and you get off real quickly. And now he's just he's gone. I never got past this picture. Yeah, I think I only really included this. This is the only reason that I included it. Right, that was my first inkling that he might not be cut out for Florida, where they're a little lower in latitude, right, and the sun's a little bit stronger, and you go to an interview with the binocular the binocular ten.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is true. So you're right.
Speaker 1: There were many things, many key aspects.
Speaker 2: It was just easy for every Like you said, it's just an insult, right, It's just it's just it's purely an instant and it's easy for everybody to agree. Oh, yeah, he's bad, He's he's real bad.
Speaker 1: My crash into the gym, yeah, oh, worst driver, right, very obvious.
Speaker 2: It did not go well. He was fired before the end of the season.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 1: Has that picture in perpetuity on the internet?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and now we have it three times in our presentation. Yeah, everybody class heartbreaker? Okay, how would you define this?
Speaker 1: A heartbreaker is somebody that everybody wants to like. Most people do want to believe you, We want to believe in you. You break our heart, you do you break our heart, either by by lying to us, by letting us down, by maybe just not being as into us.
Speaker 2: Or it or something as we are.
Speaker 1: We see so much good in you. There's so much good in you. Why can't it just work out? Why can't it? Why can't it just work out? Is there a story that you like? This is a lot of passion? Everything cool? Okay, okay? Heartbreaker in everyone's your book?
Speaker 2: Again?
Speaker 1: Is something that you see. I don't know if that's considered a compliment. Maybe some people view it as a compliment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so. I think it's it's a compliment in that. Do we have do we have areas? Oh? Sam? Oh Sam? Not another pick? We want a good pack twelve team please?
Speaker 1: We just went broadly USC Trojans. Does anybody here feel uh, I don't know, satisfied by us?
Speaker 2: That probably the world? Yeah, but Sarah children here in the.
Speaker 1: Last ten years, right, No, they're they're disapporting every year where were here leaving them they're mis drivers. Yeah, this was the year, as was the last year, as was the year before that, as was the year before that. Right, every year is the year for USC because they've got a wealth of talent. They've usually got a pretty good quarterback. Yeah, they've always got a well I guess until recently a pretty high profile coach.
Speaker 2: Doesn't. My favorite thing Clay Helton, by the way, is I don't think he will. I don't think he has. I don't think he will ever be spotted in an airport.
Speaker 1: Now because Clay Hilton looks like every person at Hudson News, Clay Helton is always buying an issue of Vanity Fair and some mints.
Speaker 2: And that's that's a really sad way.
Speaker 1: I helped you walk in right now, nobody would know, would be like a fifty forty percent hit.
Speaker 2: Rate, right, Should we bring somebody in that people do know? I think maybe we should. Let's bring to somebody why do you put your hands together?
Speaker 1: First? And the USC Trojans, So we've got a couple left, and since we know that they've got a very prominent following in the greater Atlanta area, and since we're big fans of the fine work that they do.
Speaker 2: It's outcast. No, it's not outcast. It's not. I lied, it's not outcasts. But that'd be really great.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: With all that being said, we wanted to invite some other esteem guests here. These two people make me laugh as part of a trio in supermarkets when I listened to their show and it's embarrassing, and I keep listening. Not the show is not embarrassing. I keep listening in supermarkets and on trains, and they work with us. They're amazing people and they are funnier than we are, and we happily admit that. Absolutely, Ladies and gentlemen, to help us out. Spencer holl and Jason.
Speaker 3: Karr all right there, check check check check.
Speaker 2: Does Spencer look like you imagined?
Speaker 6: Y'all get a look at this shirt, by the way, that's pistol Pete with a gigantic bass.
Speaker 1: So in case you didn't know, in case you don't listen to our show, this is two thirds of these shutdown full Yes, yeah.
Speaker 2: They are here in Atlanta.
Speaker 1: They live here in Atlanta, and we thought we couldn't do a show without bringing these guys on to talk about all things college football weirdness, and so we thought maybe we could get some help trying to figure some of this stuff out.
Speaker 2: So let's just let's let's start easy.
Speaker 1: I know this is Wheelhouse most likely to be mad scientist apparently again a category that we found courtesy of Google.
Speaker 2: As we think around college football, somebody to take a dark turn at some point after the twenty seventeen season, somebody who has the capability to see the lights.
Speaker 9: You mean besides becoming a college football coach. Yes, I want to coach a child's game and make it incredibly violent. Then I'm not going to pay my employees. No, no, no, you can't do that, because it'll pay them.
Speaker 2: That's the joke. So somebody who does take that turn, at some point, you've hung out with them for a while and all of a sudden, what happened? What happened to this person? Are they wearing eyeshadow?
Speaker 11: Right, that's a tough one.
Speaker 1: So we can give you, we can give you our read on it, and you can react to it. We've had a lot of fun with this gentleman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there he is. There's Josh Rosen. See a lot of Bruin opinions in here, and so hey, it's a Bruins town. It's a Bruin town.
Speaker 1: So my thought was this, Josh Rosen's a really good quarterback and he's going to be a top five pick by all accounts, he should if he wants to have a really good career in the NFL. I'm not sure that's his end game. I'm not sure that that's what Josh Rosen wants to do when he grows up. When he retires, he may just want to like master fusion or disprove gravity waves. So do something a little bit more intellectually stimulating than playing the child's game.
Speaker 11: Or install hot tubs and dorm rooms right exactly.
Speaker 9: Or attempt to win games at UCLA.
Speaker 1: Sure, too far, too far, too far tough, y'all, don't care. I like that.
Speaker 2: We're all so dumb that somebody appears to be pretty bright and we're like, he must be evil, he must there must be something wrong with this out.
Speaker 11: He see, you get how Georgia works. We're home. We're home now.
Speaker 2: So that that's where we went with.
Speaker 11: Let me go with Dabo swinny Oh, I like that.
Speaker 6: Continue who after figuring out that the key to college football is just paying lots of people to do the job for you. Uh, you know, get your two million dollar offensive coordinator, you two minute, two million dollar defensive coordinator. You know, convinced convince a five star quarterback to come in.
Speaker 11: It's not a hard job until yep, he goes takes that damage job.
Speaker 2: Okay, sure, okay, Now he's.
Speaker 6: Got a hundred assistants and disposal, not just you know two or three.
Speaker 11: So yeah, I imagine the terror he can reach.
Speaker 9: I was a he also had built a slide. You need megal Mania And yeah he's dabo, got a little money, and that's how you know he's country and crazy. He's like, well, put a slide in my hand, because I'll tell you I my trash. Like that's the first thing that happened, you know, like first big paycheck I got.
Speaker 2: I'm buying a car. I almost like like Debo saw blank check recently. It's like there's a lot of good ideas. Mister Macintosh is onto something. And he bought a castle. Yes, and he bought a castle.
Speaker 11: That's not a joke. Nothing in this sport is actually a joke.
Speaker 2: It's a very serious business. He bought a castle. He did bought a castle. And if he does end up at BAMA and has one hundred assistants, they're not not minions. That they're not They're not not minions.
Speaker 9: So I got I got one other guy to please please get Gary Patterson, because if you're gonna be a super villain, you're gonna take a dark turn. You gotta be real sweaty right, he's incredibly sweaty. He already has a physical deformity because he has a wooden leg. He doesn't actually have a way. No, that's I was shocked to learn that. I just want everybody here to just believe that Gary James has a wooden leg.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 9: Also, if you've heard him talk like he did the film room, yes it was awesome, by the way, well yeah it was, it was awesome. But Gary doesn't. Gary doesn't explain anything to you, Like he'd be the guy who just go, okay, here's this equation of here, okay, you just take sigma, you put it through all these quanta mechanics, and then you get that you're just like, well wait, wait, wait wait wait. He's like, that's how you make a bomb that kills everybody but children.
Speaker 2: And that's what he escalated quickly, Gary, it's a dark turn.
Speaker 9: Here, So that's what he would do, right, yeah, I mean that's like he said, there explaenty defenses, and Dana was like, Dana Pulgerson's over here, and he's like that means the big guy is gonna tackle, you know, like Dana can like break it down for like the eighteen year old, right, and you like point you that way.
Speaker 1: Major Apple Whites in the corner. White is a ghost taking notes. Major just treated it like a study session. He was just like, this is great shit, how do you do that? Were just giving this away?
Speaker 2: Yeah? That was not the most inspiring watch for a Houston fan, was it? No? It could not have been. You're not a good Houston week in general? Is that even legal? Yes?
Speaker 1: All right, now, so we can agree to some combination of Dabbo with Gary with Josh.
Speaker 2: Rosie never felt more Georgia. I'm happy to be here. It never felt more Georgia. What do we have next? So we got another one that we need your help, Clart biggest flirt?
Speaker 11: So can Lane Kevin be nominated for Lane Kiffin again?
Speaker 1: He's he's won at twelve straight years and there are regulations.
Speaker 6: I mean, the man literally was posting memes of like himself taking the you know what was he doing? Or he was intentionally following Kiffen to Tennessee accounts?
Speaker 2: Yes, come on out. So I guess we're looking for like the interim biggest flat.
Speaker 1: Yes, interim biggest flirt. And how would you define flirting as in this sort of context, just sort of into everybody. Charming Yep, maybe a little too charming. Yeah, right, sure, if you could totally trust him.
Speaker 2: You don't know if there's a ton there beyond the actual initial flirtatious kind of like the class clown like do the dating might not be the best career move. Are they into me? Are they not into?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Are they worth it? I don't know. I don't understand where they're coming from. Yeah.
Speaker 9: The biggest flirt okay, I don't recall his name, the old miss linebacker who recovered a fumble and then like did this with the camera if anyone has to speak, Yeah, yeah, yeah, he said. That's my first nominee. My second is Mike the Tiger, like the actual, the actual physical as if you've been there. Mike likes you, like Michael come up to the fence and he's like, it's up, beautiful. He's a very flirting cat, you know, and he'll chuff at you. So he's got to like you though, So that's the thing. But yeah, huge flirt.
Speaker 11: Let's go Willy Taggert.
Speaker 2: Willy Taggert. So we talked about Willy Taggart. Never heard of him. The best flirt is he new?
Speaker 11: Hey man, he's got a lot of area codes.
Speaker 2: I see where you went with that. Yeah. So ultimately, like you know, it's just a sort of facade. It's a show, it's a flirt. There's not a ton of depth necessarily when they are fully exposed.
Speaker 1: So we went in a different direction. Spencer, I think you're gonna appreciate this.
Speaker 2: Oh ah, the playoff. Really thought the Miami was into them? Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the turnover chain, the excitement, the second year coach, all of the bravado that comes along with being the Miami Hurricanes and having a program that's on the rise again.
Speaker 2: Sure, yes, I'm.
Speaker 9: Saying that, like identity, theft and fraud is something that's associated with its exactly South Florida enterprise.
Speaker 2: We're just learning. Yes, this has taken a dark I had a girlfriend in Miami.
Speaker 4: Shir h.
Speaker 2: She went to a different high school. I swear, Yeah, she just didn't show up.
Speaker 6: It's also important to note that brother, brother markret he'll flirt with you, but he's not going to consummate.
Speaker 2: No, absolutely not. The Lord will not allow you to go that far.
Speaker 1: As as for my knowledge of mark Rix beliefs, Yeah, so yeah, I think this is right I think we really wanted to believe that the interest was real.
Speaker 2: We really did. They charmed us with a win over Notre Dame. Oh it was so charming. Yeah, you love that night.
Speaker 3: I love that win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my favorite win of the year. Yeah, yeah, same same. If only g chat could ban people from what I saw from Tye that night.
Speaker 3: Who that was?
Speaker 2: That was a rough night. So Miami Hurricanes, the Miami Hurricanes felt like a flirtatious moment this year. A flirtatious moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and for a brief moment, a hot moment after Notre Dame was down and out in the ground, I was rooting for Miami. Really now that makes sense, and I realized I couldn't trust him. Yeah, you can't trust a flirt that's true, Miami, Hail to Pitt. So this is sort of on the same similar level as the flirtation and true story on best prom posal for those in the obstructive use. I just recently learned this term by the way we were recording a podcast and some of you may have caught this if you listen to the show in the regular where Dan I'm assuming thought that prom posal, which was a new word to me up until recently, I must admit. Prom posal is when you propose marriage to somebody.
Speaker 2: That's what I thought the problem.
Speaker 9: You are from Georgia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is what we do, right, So apparently that's not true, Not at all. It's not true.
Speaker 1: It's just an elaborate way to ask somebody to go to the prom Should either of you, by the way, do anything elaborate for asking somebody to the problem?
Speaker 11: Bro, I got engage at the mall?
Speaker 3: Is that true?
Speaker 2: I've never lied with a mic confessed it's true. How did you get engaged at the mall?
Speaker 11: Because we'd already settled on it. We went to the jewelry store because I'm not picking out a ring?
Speaker 6: Of course it'll be wrong, right. She picks out the ring and I'm like, here go and she said, she said, is that it? And I was like, I guess.
Speaker 2: So Roman put him on biggest flirt. Yeah, it worked, didn't it? So proposal Spencer, did you?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 9: No, I took I took the woman who was gonna be later with wife, okay, like mother my kids.
Speaker 2: That was cool.
Speaker 9: And I also went to another problem with another girl.
Speaker 2: But it's flirt that was flex. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So proposal is basically an elaborate way to ask somebody to go to the prom.
Speaker 2: Yes, and so we were thinking in terms, maybe you do it a bunch, Maybe you're sort of you wear them down. It's a little contrive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's never you know, comfortable, right, you're going out of your way posted on YouTube public.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe you make an asset yourself. But everything's that east anyway.
Speaker 1: So right there, we were trying to think of college football unions, college football just things that have occurred.
Speaker 2: More complicated than they need to be, had some.
Speaker 1: Sort of elaborate construct around, and we have one that we feel is a pretty strong category, pretty strong candidate in this category.
Speaker 2: Are there any that come to mind for you guys?
Speaker 12: Ohio State's playoff case, but that is that it's that Charlie Day image, right, Yeah, all.
Speaker 2: Right, strings don't look at Iowa.
Speaker 11: Yeah, nothing that happens in the state of Iowa accounts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you have something?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think the Tennessee coaching ses all right, because that was far too lot.
Speaker 2: Go balls.
Speaker 9: The thing I love about this is this that they entered the whole thing and they're like, I'm gonna go to the store and I'm gonna buy some bread sit. Need you buy a big dumb, blank loaf of bread? So my so my team needs what my family needs. So they went there and they're like, well, maybe I want the multi grain, maybe I want the multi green with the flax seed.
Speaker 2: You know, flax seeds are amazing.
Speaker 9: And then they got way too complex and at the end they just went out and got a big dumb loaf of white bread.
Speaker 2: Yeah, took an hour and a half.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what were your what were your initial reads on that whole situation, because you know, it seemed that Andy who who's here, you know, wrote a great article about how they wanted to bring in greg Giano, But it was clear that for better or worse, and whether we agree with it or not, the Tennessee fan base the market didn't want they didn't want it, they weren't interested in it. And you could dissect that a million different ways, but the truth of the matter is Andy's right.
Speaker 2: People didn't want him.
Speaker 1: They didn't want him for whatever reason, and that's sort of what kicked off this entire tire fire, as we would call it, with the Tennessee coaching search.
Speaker 2: What did you guys think it went down?
Speaker 6: I mean, I thought a lot, because a lot of stuff happened, like and after this Shiano one, it was like you saw a lot of you know, national media types trying to boil it down to just one.
Speaker 11: Thing or just you know, just this or just that or just the other thing.
Speaker 2: And it was a lot of stuff. Yeah, and that was just one of them. Now and then you know you had Leech and you had Dorin and cut Cliffs.
Speaker 1: I mean, we ran out of images that we could fit on this slide for all the different people that were rumored projector you know, it was just.
Speaker 2: Incredible trying to follow it.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if we've seen a situation like this in college football where there was such strong negative reaction to potential coaching hire every fan base as people who are Nat sayers when.
Speaker 2: A new name is announced.
Speaker 1: But the fact that it seemed unanimously there were people out against gregs Giano.
Speaker 2: And then we had we'll say anonymously.
Speaker 1: Twitter trolls jumping out trying to organize larger outcry about this.
Speaker 2: I can't remember seeing anything like it. Well, the bad news is John Curry did not find a date. Because John Curry is you know, he's probably watching some Netflix at home during the proms, he's watching the Crown.
Speaker 11: And they said he's still getting paid though.
Speaker 2: That's good. That is good. Good for him, the American dream screw up and get paid.
Speaker 9: I just I just enjoy that. Like one of the results from this long fiasco of search was that Mike Leach got an ad fired at another school.
Speaker 2: That's that's talent. That's amazing.
Speaker 9: Got you got your boss fired somewhere else before it ever happened. That's the long con right there. Yes, that's phenomenal. I bet he got a chunk of the buyout and doesn't even know why.
Speaker 2: Mike Leach. And it should be mentioned Mike Leach spends a lot of time in South Florida. Pretty good.
Speaker 9: Got he's got a house in Cuba. He has to get at all and get to Cuba. You can do it in like ninety minutes.
Speaker 6: That's like the Mike Leach people's revolution. He's just overthrown Mike. He's in the means of production. Mike Leach have worked at Tennessee.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, How would how would the Tennessee Brethren have felt about Mike Leach?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 9: Well, I'm from Tennessee, and I will tell you it's a state full of a dull dumb people for the party, Okay, it is. It's it's like a bunch of dull, dumb people who don't like anything unusual. Right, if he won, they would be like, nothing weird about that he went forward on fourth and thirty two.
Speaker 2: Jesus would do that like that, that's the whole thing.
Speaker 9: He'd won, right, year one would have been real bad, right, but he needs to be like Knoxville. I think it would have been okay because like he's never worked anywhere like major. By that, I mean like he's never worked anywhere with like a large media apparatus just like clamped to his face all the time, right, And he'd have some of that with Tennessee. But Knoxville's like as close to a hinterland as like the SEC East is really gonna get, you know, Starkfield. That's why I didn't say I love stark But yeah, but but yeah, like I think he would have been. It would have been better than expected, and he would have worn out as welcome in three to five Yeah, five years, that's right, Rent don't buy Yeah, Okay, do we have anything?
Speaker 2: We have Q and A next we have Q and a, So, ladies and gentlemen, an enormous round of applause fensor home.
Speaker 1: So here's the way this next part works. Yeah, I am recording this hopefully, Yeah, pretty nice on my laptop to post for people who weren't as lucky as y'all.
Speaker 2: You know what if they didn't, they all them who cares for people who weren't as y'all? I do that right? He does that, and I stopped correcting him. The yea.
Speaker 1: All that you do is it drives say it for everybody? How you say it, y'all? No, what do you say on the show?
Speaker 2: Yeah, y'all? Yeah, that's it is. Oh my god, I don't know where the apostrophe goes? Why apostrophe alt? Y'all? Well, I still say Mario? Yeah, he does, say Mary Phillio, ty, who's your favorite baseball team? Who's your favorite baseball team? The Yankee? Yeah? I mean, come on, yeah, that's exactly right. I'm the bad guy. Say hello to the bad He's from anywhere.
Speaker 1: Here is the way this next part works for the people who are listening at home, who can't be here, who are going to hear this on the podcast feed at some point next week. We want to give everyone a shout out. We want to give a big round of applause, at which point we'll cut the audio. We'll invite some people up here to ask some questions, like we've done it a bunch of our other live shows. Yes, and we'll spend the next twenty minutes or so just chatting with everybody here. So if you could, please, uh, I don't know, give us a round of appause.
Speaker 2: Thank you for coming out. That's enough, that's yeah, that's I'm uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: I can't believe Tyson give us a round of a pause. It is like the least tie thing I've ever heard.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: I hope everybody enjoyed their evening. Everyone was as comfortable as they could be. Sorry about squeezing.
Speaker 2: Everybody body was warm.
Speaker 1: Big shout out and thank you to our friend Adam Amin Adam. Best of luck to you on Monday. Andy Staples in the back, Chason Kirk and Spencer Hall. Someone they left, they were hungry, and give yourself a out of a pause.
Speaker 4: What the hell.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much, and we'll close out the way we always do. Stay solid, peace, alrighty, Dan, there you go. Live show in the books, loved it, and Tye something else I loved about it. I don't realize this because I live in a city with so many people, and I know Atlanta is a huge city, but we have listeners that live all over the not even just Atlanta area, but the South And since we had never done a show down there, people that enjoy the show, they drove, they full on made road trips to come see the show. It was crazy, credible to see and hear, absolutely crazy. We appreciate so much everyone coming on out. Yes, as you could tell, people had a lot of fun. It was a jovial atmosphere in downtown Atlanta. If you're interested in finding out more about future live shows, don't forget to sign up for our newsletter. That'll be your first line of defense where we announced things coming up in the future. But as we said at the top of the show, we absolutely have more in the pipeline.
Speaker 3: Stay tuned.
Speaker 2: How about throw us some five star ratings if you feel like we're a five star part of your life on iTunes? Subscribe on iTunes every hell it helps.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: We will be doing at a minimum one show a week, so it encourage all y'all to come back here.
Speaker 2: I'm pushing ty hard this offseason. I'm pushing them hard. There will be multi show weeks, Dan, that's all I got. That's all I got.
Speaker 1: We'll catch you all in a week. Keep it right here.
Speaker 3: In the meantime, stay solid, Peace,