Speaker 1: Welcome to another episode of Between Us Doctors. I'm doctor Terry bro I'm doctor Robert Schor. Okay, listen, rob I want to talk to you about something that's been disturbing me for the last two weeks. Ever since I watched the oscars, I realized that there's like a new epidemic in this world. And you know what it is.
Speaker 2: What's the epidemic?
Speaker 1: Anarexia ozempica. I kid you not. It's like medically induced appetite suppression. It's like chemical starvation. People are taking these GLP one drugs to the next level, and it's like a very significant misuse. It's almost like enabling an eating disorder. Have you noticed this in your patience?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a it's a I'm noticing it not only in my painations, but all over society and people that I know. It's it's taking it's basically now making biochemical eating disorder possible. Yeah, it's I mean, it's it's taking it beyond weight loss to drug induced malnutrition.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anorexia ozampica. Let's let's let's talk about what it's not. This is not anorexia nervosa. This is not a psychiatric disorder. This is a medically induced eating disorder that I think is a giant problem that I'm seeing article after article, podcast after podcasts about celebrities talking about how they're misusing these drugs and they don't have any medical education indication for them, and they're getting access to them through the internet. I mean, this is a crazy, crazy problem.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's a system that has now bypassed all the medical safeguards that we normally have in the society, where if you wanted to get on a prescription drug, you'd have to see a doctor, there would have to be some reasonable indication for it, there would be someone monitoring what you're doing. This is just literally going on a website or going in the gray market and just buying these things that are potentially dangerous medications, and people are just using them as they see fit. These drugs aren't designed aren't designed for you to lose five pounds. They're designed to treat diabetes and for major weight loss in people who are obese.
Speaker 1: Right, but let's first state make a statement like this. I think this is among if not the most significant medical breakthrough in the history of medicine. These drugs are amazing. It's not the drugs that are the problem. It's the rampant misuse of these drugs that are the problem, don't you agree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, I mean that's like most drugs, really, it's you know, it's it's like someone taking a blood pressure drug because they don't want to be one twenty over eighty, they want to be one hundred over sixty. It's not what the drug is designed to do, and it's never been tested for these things. The way people are using it.
Speaker 1: Right, it's like we're going back in time to the early two thousands when extreme thinness was a thing. Remember that, it was like the thinner you are, the better it is, when in fact, extreme thinness is actually a metabolic disorder in and of itself.
Speaker 2: It's not healthy. In other words, people are taking this to drug that's designed to improve your health and that are amazing for improving health when they're used properly, and using it in a state where they're already healthy, to drive them to a point where they're no longer healthy.
Speaker 1: By the way, it's having the opposite effect. It's actually making you look older, okay, it's actually giving you fatigue, it's giving you electrolyte disorders, it's you're losing muscle and bone. But actually, let's get a little bit not nerdy, but a slightly doctory for a minute and talk about the problem with the misuse of these drugs. Okay, because when they're used properly and you maintain your muscle mass, they cure metabolic disorders. Okay, they're fabulous for obesity, they're fabulous for all sorts of indications. But when used in the way that I'm seeing it with this anorexia ozempica, this is the fundamental problem I'm seeing. You lose muscle mass, the most important structural component of the body. And when you lose muscle mass, what happens is your metabolic rate goes down, right, And so as your metabolic rate goes down, then your body goes into this conservation adaptation mode where it's basically adapting to starvation, and that leads to a whole bunch of problems in and of it.
Speaker 2: It leads to both short term and long term problems. I mean short term. These people are walking around probably dehydrated right at least acutely malnourished. They're not getting atticause. It's very hard when you're using these medications this way to take in adequate calories every day, because really, these people are not meant to be These are not obese people. They should not be living on say a thousand calories or less per day. But it can be a challenge to get in you know, depending on your man woman, what size you are, I don't know, fifteen one hundred to twenty two hundred calories, it can be difficult on these medications.
Speaker 1: Practical examples of this their Doo Brooks Natter is the model Yeah so yeah, yeah, so very attractive, Okay, but actually talked a lot about the fact that she was using and abusing these drugs the point where she was throwing up, she was fatigued. She I think she passed out, and furthermore, you know, it leads to thinning of the hair, electrolyte disorders, you can't sleep, hormonal disruptions.
Speaker 2: By flaky skin, all kinds of things that, aside from the health issues, are just unattractive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, menstruation problems. I mean, this is a disaster phenomenon that no one is talking about, and I think it's really important that we, for at least a moment or two, highlight how to use these things properly, the red flags that you need to look for when you're using these things, and how to avoid this new newly recognized eating disorder that's clearly going from endemic in you know, the major metropolitan areas to becoming an epidemic throughout the country. Right, So, what are the factors that you need to look for when you're concerned about anorexia ozempica? I think number one is you're on these drugs and you're losing weight too rapidly, right, Number one, you shouldn't be losing one to two percent of your body weight per week. It should be more like a quarter to half percent a week.
Speaker 2: True at most, particularly if you're someone who's not obese to begin with. First of all, if you're getting on these medications to you know, lose ten pounds, you know, look, people are gonna do it. It's just gonna happen because it's it's like an easy cheat code for losing weight. It takes away the cravings and you'll do it. But if you're doing it at that point, you've got to be really really careful. You don't have that much room to play with, you know, if you're not If you're one hundred pounds overweight, then you've got huge fat stores that your body can start working off of. But for the average person who's just trying to lose a few pounds, you don't have that. And so if you get on these medications, your body is immediately going to start getting more of its calories because you're not taking in enough. It doesn't have enough fat to do that. It's gonna start breaking down muscle and healthy lean tissue immediately immediately.
Speaker 1: So the number two red flag for me is zero appetite. I mean, I've gone out with couples that I know, the women and maybe some of the men are taking these drugs and they're eating literally nothing. The goal is not to eat nothing, okay, And as I always say to Heather, you know, it doesn't look good to be that thin, I always say to her, And this is grotesque, but I'm gonna say it anyway. No one wants to fuck a skeleton, Okay. If you're doing this to look good, all right, it's having the opposite effect. So zero appetite is not the goal.
Speaker 2: No, it's well aside from it just not being the goal. If you're not look, if you're going to be on these drugs and you don't want it. First of all, you don't want to get ridiculously lean. The goal is not to have the body fat of a bodybuilder who's about to enter competition. Bodybuilders don't do that. They lean down right before the competition. They don't get down to like single digit body fat levels and live at that because it's unhealthy. It's not doable, and frankly, for everyday purposes, particularly in women, it doesn't look good.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know if you watch the Oscar Red Carpet, but I mean it. And I don't want to body shame anyone. I think they're all very beautiful obviously, and they're very talented, but I mean, you know, in the middle of watching the Red Carpet, I thought to myself, what is this the ozempics or is this the oscars? You know what I mean? I mean, I just think people are taking this too far, okay, And if the other red flag is you're just not eating enough protein, this is really all about muscle wasting and protein. And what do you tell your patients how many grams poor kilogram or body pound should they eat in protein?
Speaker 2: Well, if they're going to be on this at least one and probably about one point five in reality. So I would recommend to anyone who's taking this, first of all, if you're going to be taking these, see your doctor and get it prescribed properly and be monitored for this. You need to have labs check periodically. You need to be looked at. And a lot of these telem medicine sites that do this, yeah, they're kind of getting around because there's a doctor that you get on a zoom call with and they make you fill out a questionnaire. That's not really that's not really medicine. Let's not get ourselves medicine to get on one of these medications, particularly for questionable goals. You need to see someone. They need to a physical exam on you. You need to get some labs done, You need to make sure that this isn't that first of all, you're in the right state of health to start it, and someone needs to be monitoring this as you go. And then you need to be supplementing your protein and you need to be lifting weights. You need to be doing strength training minimum of two times a week to maintain or you are going to lose muscle mass and you're going to get weaker, and as that happens, your metabolic rade is going to drop. So good luck getting off of these medications. Afterwards, when you've been in a starvation mode for a long time, you're going to start gaining weight very rapidly. So, now, by the way, stock on these meds. That's exactly the point. That is an a super important point. If your metabolic rate goes down too quickly and you get off these drugs, you're going to have such rapid gain regain that it's just going to rebound horribly for you. So the act opposite of what you want to maintain is what happens. Now, let's talk about this whole thing with rediitruy tide. Okay. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The problem is is that whether we like it or not, whether we suggest that people should be on medical supervision, have the proper indications, whether BMI grader than thirty or greater than twenty seven with a COMORBIDITI like hypertension, blah blah blah, all those doctory things that you or I would say. At the end of the day, we have to acknowledge people are going to get these from compounding pharmacies. Okay, they're just going to do it. So I think it's better for us to acknowledge that they're going to get them this way and at least give some advice that if you are going to get on REHDTA, this is how you should do it. The problem is, if you haven't heard about Rihtta or Rehta truetide. It's one of the most amazing phenomenons I've ever seen in medicine where a drug that's not even FDA approved yet not even been proven to be safe, is one of the most powerful and popular drugs that people are using to induce this medical starvation. It's so easy to get and all you have to do is get near talk about Rehtta near your phone, and the next time you scroll mindlessly on your phone, it's going to show you no nothing but Jim Brow's chiropractors and high school grads talking about the medical indications for these drugs REDDA. But let's talk about what REDDA is, because I think we have to acknowledge people are just going to use this REDDA even before Eli Lilly approves this drug. We don't want you to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but what is if you're hitting on I think, well, I think you're hitting on something really important here, aside from just the health risks of being on these drugs in a non prescribed, just experimental way, is the situation we have now is going to break the pharmaceutical industry in this country if it continues. And look, I'm no fan of big pharma, but everyone and his brother is making money off of REDDA true Tide now except Eli Lilly, who can't make any money off of it, which is the company that developed a drug. So if we start doing this with every promising medication that comes out, where immediately compound pharmacies are selling it and everyone is selling it online. I think waiters are slipping it in my food now at meals. You know, it's it's like it's it's it's it's just ubiquitous. Right. It's like everyone but the actual intellectual property owner of the medication is making money off of it. There's no way Eli Lilly is gonna sit still for this.
Speaker 1: Well, it's crazy because what's going to encourage them to make the two billion dollar investment to get these things it proved. But let's let's for those who don't know, let's talk about quickly what Retitruetide is. Okay, so just very very briefly, as you know, ozempic is GLP one. That's ozempic and govi. Okay, that's the first proc. The single agonist it's called manjarro and zep bound are GLP one and GIP. Those are two hormones naturally found in the body. And then the big breakthrough with retitrue tide is it's a triple agonist. It's not only GLP one, it's GIP and it's a glucagon rect agonist. Okay, So ideally it fat burns. Ideally it preserves theoretically muscle mass. We're hoping that it does all this safely. We don't know because it's not FT approved, but it's so powerful and I think it's going to be the first trillion dollar drug. But I bet you there are more people on illegal, unapproved, unsafe who knows where it came from retitruetide than probably almost any other drug out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's probably true for most people taking the golp ones as well. It's they're on really questionably sourced drugs. And so because if you're not getting it from the manufacturer, you're getting it from a compounding pharmacy that either makes it here domestically, or more likely it's being made in China. So aside from the fact that one, you're using this in a way that it wasn't designed to be used, that it hasn't been tested for it all these PEO people creating their own dosing regimens. Okay, that's you're running the experiment on yourself, basically. Yeah. But also, but aside from the fact just the you're taking something a drug that's not the design for the purpose you're using it for. You're using it in doses that it's never been tested for. You're getting on and off of it, which is probably even worse for muscle loss over the long run. In addition to that, you don't even know that you're getting the actual drug, and if it is the actual drug, you don't know what contaminants are in it. You are literally running the experiment on yourself.
Speaker 1: Okay, So it's very clear we don't recommend you get it from a compounding pharmacy because, by the way, it's illegal for them to compound a drug that's not EFTY approved. It's illegal, unauthorized, uncool, it's actually a criminal act. But let's assume for a moment that somebody is going to get rettritide on the let's assume someone may have Yeah, okay, let's see that that's being done. Okay, lowest possible effective dose. That's point number one. Absolutely start at the lowest dose and retitrue tide because of the fat burning component, may take a little bit longer. Then we'll go via a zembic or zep bound or any other GLP one drugs to actually kick in. So the goal is not zero appetite. The goal is not for you to lose five pounds per week. The goal is to diminish your appetite. These are appetite suppressants with hopefully retitrue tide kicking in a fat burning component. So keep the dose very low. If it doesn't work for a week or two or three, that's okay. Just don't raise the dose yet because we don't know what you're injecting into yourself.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: By the way, you ever seen this FX show The Beauty.
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's really good. By the way, Ashton Kutcher stars in it, and it's about this shot that you can take. Okay, Ryan Murphy's show, which turns you into like a supermodel, young, amazing version of yourself. The problem is when a version of it that got out of the lab was being used, people would literally explode and spread their guts everywhere. And I'm not saying reditruetide is the next the beauty shot. But at the end of the day, if there's something like an endotoxin, which is a viral sort of impregnated bacteria or microorganism in it that takes a while for it to manifest, we couldn't be injecting ourselves with something that could lead to a very significant for example, neurologic disease later like Kreutzfeld, Jacob Kreutzfeld, you know that one. Yeah, the matt basically the human mad cow disease, human mad cow disease. And you know, I'm not here to scare anybody. And again I'm not saying anarexia ozempica is a psychiatric disorder, but I mean we may be falling off a cliff into this unknown abyss that we're setting ourselves up for. That may be a giant problem. But having said that, let's go back to how to use this redit true tide. If you must, if you're going to okay.
Speaker 2: So we may be going off a giant, disastrous cliff. But in case, you're gonna do it anyways, but we're gonna get yeah, yeah, Well, look, I see one thing needs to be stated here, Okay, and I can. I totally understand the motivation to use these and I'm not opposed at all to using it, but I think that most people. Look, if you're gonna use it, you're gonna do these things, do it with full awareness of the risks that you're taking. And said, I have no problem if we go to this sort of model for most medications in the country. The problem is if you go to this, you're acting as your own doctor, and so at this point it's on you to educate yourself. Okay, what am I going to get out of this? It's getting my body fat percentage down to fifteen percent. Worth being on a medication where we don't know what it's going to do to us ten years from now. Because that's true for semaglue tie, that's true for all of them. The longest term studies on most of these medications in big studies is maybe four years. That's not really long, and those studies are mostly on diabetics, which is what the medications were developed for so just know that. Yeah, I see the value in looking ripped and handsome and pretty, right, but there are a lot of unknowns in this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it in terms of also more practical things we can suggest. Decide on an endpoint. Okay, maybe not. You know, your your high school, your your weight when you were fifteen and you had that sudden growth spur and all of a sudden you got skinny, just biologically creat So yeah, by the way, I was totally a chubby when I was on the tennis team in high school.
Speaker 2: They gave me the Turtle Award. I was very chubby. Never heard this about you before.
Speaker 1: On a decide on what a reasonable end point is, Okay, So if if you know you're twenty pounds overweight, and that's a real twenty pounds, right, meaning you're not trying to get down to your married weight, your bridal weight, but some reasonable weight. When you hit that point, back off, okay, back off, make sure you're eating the proper protein, do your resistance training, and you know the moment Eli Lilly, for example, is able to get this FT approved to come out, maybe switch to the actual real pharmaceutical version rather than this unknown one because you know, well I know, I don't know if you know about I'm sure you do. RFK Junior has decided to decategorize fourteen of the peptides from category two, which means they're illegal, to category one, which means compounding pharmacies can actually make them legally, right, all right, that isn't that's not that hasn't been passed yet. It's still legal to get the peptides, but everybody's doing it anyway. It will never be legal to compound reda true Tide ever, because it's not FDA approved, Okay, it will never be legal to do that. So the end of the day, these drugs like Reddit True Tide are being shifted towards from the grayish market to the black market, where you know, it's the guy behind the gym with the you know, the lunch bag and the trend bologne or whatever and the you know, the test and the anavar, you know, that kind of scummy kind of sourcing of it, where they're a lot more dangerous and a lot more suspect. I mean, I'm just I'm really worried that this is going to blow up in our face. And listen, no one wants to take retitruetide more than me. Okay, I really like the idea of fat burning and controlling my appetite because I've always been victimized by my appetite. You know me, Rob, I can literally eat till I'm full and then still shove more food in. You know, I find a place in my satiety center where I'm shoving it in on just adjacent to nausea I can go. I can't tell you how many times I've woke woken up at three o'clock in the morning and you know, had to go and throw up because I've just eaten too much. I'm I can relate to those people who have no control over their app I mean, I'm the perfect person for a GLP one because for me, appetite suppression would be extraordinarily helpful. Right, But this retitruetide, I mean, I don't know at what cost? You know, what are we trading for this?
Speaker 2: First of all, it's good that you wake up before throwing up, At least from Heather's standpoint, probably that's got to be a huge plus for her. Look the goal in terms of you, it's you're looking for a little bit of appetite suppression. You're not looking to kill all of your appetite, right, So if people are taking this, the goal is to just get to the point where you have a sense of control at meals, so you can eat a sensible portion and not overeat. The goal isn't that you look at a plate of food just gough, I don't want any of it. And that's unfortunately the way a lot of people are doing this. And by the way, you know, I don't see a compelling reason at the moment to use red atruetide because you can get you know, you can get munjaro, you can get ozampic, all of these are available through prescription. You know you're getting the actual, real, pure product. And if I believe, I just heard that Costco is now doing a month's supply for about five hundred dollars, and so the price is getting into a place that's reasonable on these things. Why take something that isn't even FDA approved yet, that you can only get through backdoor channels? Why do Yeah, by the way, that we have better medication, but what we have is more than good enough at the moment.
Speaker 1: By the way, that's a really important point, because you can go to Lily dot com and get into their telehealth thing and not actually even have to go in necessarily to see a doctor answer some questions, and then get a prescription from them and go and get the real thing. Right. Yeah, So you've just.
Speaker 2: Eliminated a whole category of risk just by doing that. One that you're getting the real drug, and two that it's not filled with kind of dangerous and pure these heavy metals, all kinds of things that you don't know what you're injecting because you don't know who made this or how much they cared, or or or or exactly what you're getting. You just don't want to take gray market drugs, you know what.
Speaker 1: The other problem is the rub there are I think no less than twelve to fifteen other weight loss drugs in the pipeline that will come out, from pills to injectables, to things that cause you know, your muscles to hypertrophy, like a steroid would added on to red a true time. I mean, wonderful things are coming down the pipe, but what happens when those things are compounded before they come out and it really gets out of control? Listen, you do not want to be a guinea pig for these unknown drugs that f with your metabolic rate, that f with because the one thing that occurs, particularly in those of us who are over fifty, is there comes a point physiological where this frailty gene kind of kicks in. And you've seen people like this who are like sixty sixty three who don't work out, it, don't eat protein, and all of a sudden, they just look old. And that that's a condition of frailty that is kind of semi irreversible. Once frailty kicks in, it's very difficult to go back. But you can either delay avoid it all together, or certainly delay it by years and years by resistance training, by protein, by minimizing lean muscle mass. Oh, and the other thing when you lose muscle, minimizing loss of lean muscle mass. When you lose muscle mass, okay, your bones thin.
Speaker 2: When we were in general surgery, Okay, an older person who fell and broke their hip, and that begins basically a death spiral because they're already frail, right, because that's why they have the brittle osteophrotic bones to begin with. And then they don't have the reserve, they don't have the muscle mats. They don't have the nutrition, they don't have the health reserve to recover from this, and then they get pneumonia, and then they go downhill from there, and these people end up dying from these sort of things. So the problem with using these medical if you're using these medications as part of everything else that you're doing for your health, good diet, good sleep, exercise that includes strength training, that includes zone two cardio, that includes high intensity cardio, all the things you should be doing, then yeah, maybe as a supplement if you're using these meds to bypass doing all of that. One you're not gonna look good because you're just not gonna be healthy, you're gonna be mountain nourished, and two you're setting yourself up for premature death.
Speaker 1: In my book, well, the thing I'm worried about is it's gonna take that sentinel event. Some celebrity, some young influencer is gonna take this too far with these GLP one drugs and literally overdose to the point where they haven't eaten, they're completely malnourished, they have an electrolyte abnormality, and then a cardiac event, and then then we're all going to go, Okay, that's gonna be the wake up call. What we're hoping with this kind of message is that you don't we don't have to wait for that sentinel event, for that wake up call of some influencer celebrity.
Speaker 2: I think, if I remember correctly, Brooke Nader had an episode where her family found her passed out in like a tub full of water because she was either so malnourished, dehydrate and electrolytes out of abnormal. It's something along those lines. I don't know that they said what the reason was, but she ascribed it to being on these drugs and using them incorrectly.
Speaker 1: You know, it's funny because we're plastic surgeons and health and wellness experts and so on, but it reminds me of you know, when breast dogm first happened, when vpls first came out, when lepelsoaktion first happened. Oh this is great, and all of a sudden, you know, because of some influencer or some big celebrity pushing the envelopes. Now it's eight hundred ccs in each breast, and then it went to fifteen hundred CC's and then injecting four leaders in each butty cheek. You know this is going to go down that path of excess. There's no question about it. The question is are you going to be the person who does that or are you going to be smart and do it under medical supervision? Eat your protein, do your resistance training, check your labs. By the way, I think everybody, everyone before they go on one of these drugs, should get what a metabolic blood panel completely profile.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, and by the way, you can just there's plenty of places you can just go and get it on yourself. Now, it's not expensive, it's easy to do. And look, it's the kind of thing that if you're not going to your doctor every year and getting this done, you should be and or get it yourself. Know where you stand on these things, This isn't hard to do.
Speaker 1: One thing I noticed is, you know, every time before these drugs came out, I used to look at Leonardo DiCaprio, right, one of the great actors of our era, and you know, he's single and dates a lot of young models, and you know, because he can and so on. But I look at this guy on vacation in the yachts, and he's a guy hell is he like fifty years old now.
Speaker 2: Something around there? All right, But every.
Speaker 1: Time I see him on the yacht. You know, we're all allowed to gain some weight and you know, go off our diet between whatever he's doing, movies.
Speaker 2: And so on.
Speaker 1: But Leonardo DiCaprio has looked at various times pretty out of shape, pretty chunky, pretty, you know, like I'm on the carb straight diet. Have you noticed that about him? And I've always wondered Dad bod plus at least dad blood, Leonardo dad bud.
Speaker 2: Like sub average dad. And look, right, I don't want to crap on Leonardo DiCaprio. I wish I looked like Leonardo DiCaprio, even now, even at his worst, Dad bought. Leonardo DiCaprio has always been and still is, very good looking. But I think you make a really good point here is you can look at Leonardo DiCaprio's face now at fifty three or whatever he is, and you can see the hard living that he has done, the partying, whatever substances he's done, the maybe one too many nineteen year old models, maybe one too many nights up partying. All it takes its toll, Harry. It takes it's toll.
Speaker 1: It does. But at the Oscars, though Leonardo DiCaprio looked decisively thinner, he looked very glp one to me, Now he looked better, didn't you think?
Speaker 2: I think he did. I think he did. I think he definitely looked better than how he looked a few years ago, when I think he was at his doe. But you can see the consequences of the way he's lived in his face and in his body now because he looked good, he looked better than he did. He still looks great. Like I said, I would swap his life for mine, and the way he looks right now for the way I look. But on the other hand, he doesn't look anywhere near as good as Leonardo DiCaprio could look at fifty three if he had maintained his health throughout, which he obviously has not. He doesn't look healthy.
Speaker 1: Now, right, That's the problem. You can abuse yourself at twenty three and look fine at twenty five. You can abuse yourself to a certain degree at thirty three and still look okay at thirty five. Right, you abuse yourself at fifty two. I think cosmetically, esthetically you might not be able to go back to the way you used to look. And I think he's danger close to if he doesn't get his act together right, stay on the excise regimen, you know, do the GLP one drugs. If he has a medical and I mean he's look, he's had a medical indication for GLP one drugs. I'm sure as BMI was greater than twenty seven at some point was out of question. But I think Leonardo DiCaprio, you know, I think he's the most brilliant actor, but he's a good example of he's on the rapid path to maybe a Jack Nicholson type irreversibility if he doesn't get his act together, don't you think.
Speaker 2: Well, I think you can already see. And again, I you know, there's a part of me that doesn't like doing this because it's a little unfair to celebrities because look, we all get just crappier as we get older. True, but the problem for them is that, you know, there are a million pictures of me out there when I was twenty five, you know, looking way better than I do right now that people go, oh yeah, because I see this clipbait all the time. It's like, you wouldn't believe how ugly Bridget Bardow is now. I'm like she's ninety. Yeah, of course she doesn't look like she looked in nineteen sixty five. But the problem for celebrities is being in that level of the spotlight all the time. Everyone is constantly looking at you from every angle and just endlessly critiquing you. But you know, I think for you know, you make the point that you can't at such a certain age, you can't go back in others, if you do the damage, it's probably irreversible, and I think it is. But I think at any point, if you don't take care of yourself, or if you're thirty and you don't take care of yourself for a ten year span, you're paying the price regardless. Can you reverse a lot of it at forty Yeah? But are you ever going to look as good in the future as you would have looked had you just maintained everything through your whole life, kept a stable weight, maintain good health, worked out.
Speaker 1: Nope, you're not well going to think two two really good examples. George Clooney. This is a guy who takes care of himself. He may drink a bit, but he takes care of himself. He clearly keeps his weight locked in. He's very active, you know, he loves basketball. He's very fit. And Harrison Ford. I think Harrison Ford has done an amazing job at self preservation, longevity preservation, and maintenance. These are people who have gotten naturally older. But you know, you can tell that the years of over use of various things. Rather than use the word abuse, I'm going to say over enthusiastic use of those things you know when you're younger hasn't hasn't necessarily taken its toll. And you know, and obviously Tom Cruise. Tom Cruise has never let himself go.
Speaker 2: Brad Pitt, who we talked about, who we talked about on the last episode, same category.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, Brad Pitt.
Speaker 2: I've never seen Brad Pitt looking unhealthy.
Speaker 1: No, And I think he did talk about the fact that he had some drinking issues and that he's been sober for just forever. Now. I mean, I'm not a fan of being completely sober, all right. I enjoy my intermittent cocktail, all right. And whether that has taken a toll on the way I look or not, maybe, but I'm okay with that just as long as it hasn't taken a toll on me physically, which I'm so surveilled and so monitored. I know exactly how much plaque is in my carotid arteries. You know, I know where I'm at physiologically, So I know I'm okay. But you know, maybe not everybody monitors themselves as closely as I do. Do you do you do that kind of monitoring of yourself?
Speaker 2: Your level of obsessed with monitoring? Now? No, probably you basically where you have a home, MRI. Now I don't have that. But look, you look obviously older than we met eventually the same so lean You're probably leaner and more muscular now than you were when I knew you in your twenties. So you're you know, your false modesty aside, you look, you look great, but you know you take Let's go back to Leonardo DiCaprio for second, okay, because I think this is instructive on the what it does to you when you don't maintain this. Okay. So I looked really closely at photos of him at the last oscars, and if you look at him compared to how he looked when he was younger, when he was younger, he had sort of that sort of a heart shape to his face, more fullness in his upper cheeks, less fullness and his lower cheeks and everything kind of tapered in. It was almost like a bit of a feminine face. Right. If you look at him now, he's got some fairly heavy jowling for a man of his size, and he has no fullness in his upper cheeks, which means that all the internal soft tissue of the cheeks has descended from the upper cheeks down into the lower cheeks. And it's it's fine in a man to some extent, it's you know, it looks rugged. He's starting to look like he's slowly merging with Tom Selleck so especially with the mustache. But that's a consequence of the weight changes. Yeah, gain a bunch of weight, All of the ligaments in your face, all of that tissue stretches out. When you lose the weight again, the fact goes away, some of that fullness goes away, and everything drops. So it just brings us full circle to the you gotta stay healthy. You got to maintain a stable weight, yeah, or you're gonna pay the Even someone as good looking as him, it's going to pay the price, one way or another.
Speaker 1: So at the end of the day, although we just had a whole discussion about the dangers of misuse over use of the GLP ones, and someone like him, under proper medical supervision, under proper surveillance, GLP one might be life extending, life saving, preserving his looks completely and totally and actually.
Speaker 2: A very good idea when you agree, Yeah, look, I think it may or may not be a good idea for a lot of people, you know, in that age range, our age range. You know, there are definitely there's definitely evidence that these have cardiovascular benefits. It probably has a lot of metabolic benefits. The problem is is that, you know, a little bit, at least scientifically, the jury is still out. There aren't long term studies and there's really very little in the way of studies on their youth, their use on healthy, reasonably fit people, which is a lot of the people who are using this right now, so that's completely unstudied. So, yeah, there's no question that they have longevity benefits in people who are morbidly obese or somewhat obs or you know, bm I over twenty seven. Yeah, because those people have a lot more health risks and you start losing that weight and improving metabolically, Yeah, that's gonna have benefits. But what if you have a BMI of twenty one or twenty two and you're starting out and you're completely healthy, and you're thirty years old, and you're maybe signing up to do this for the next forty years of your life.
Speaker 1: Well, you're in.
Speaker 2: You're in. You're in the study group when you may want to be in the placebo group for this study. Right, that's true, because now, let's.
Speaker 1: Be honest, certainly in Hollywood, being on a GLP one, being on REDDA, being on Monjaro at a BMI of twenty three, which is probably a female's five to seven ways what one ten is probably a BMI of twenty three. I mean, this is a person who shouldn't lose any weight. Oh and that reminds me. So you ever heard of this the Mormon Wife cast member named Layla.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, I know a little bit of the story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, super Thin went on one of these GLP one drugs. I mean that that really is enabling not only body dysmorphia, that's enabling an eating disorder. That's really you know, yeah, out there.
Speaker 2: I think if I remember correctly, She said she struggled with eating disorders her whole life. Right, and the last thing we need is people using these drugs to enable their known eating disorders. Right. You know, if you've got an eating disorder and you struggle with body dysmorphia and you're already very lean and you're thinking about you know, if you're in a BMI of twenty and you want to get on this to get to a BMI of eighteen or something like that, it's time to seek help.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, if you're looking to get to your birth weight, that's not a great goal. Okay, that's a problem.
Speaker 2: These people are using. Some people are using this to basically treat they're eating disorder, and exactly the way you don't want to treat an eating disorder, which is by making it more effective.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's giving a gambling addict, you know, access to a slot machine. For those in the audience that don't know, your BMI is your body mass index and it's a relationship between your height and your weight and gives you a good proxy measure of how much body fat you have and how much visceral fat and whether you should lose weight or not, and anything over thirty is considered class one obesity, over thirty five is Class two OBC, and over forty is Class three, the most severe level of obesity, and twenty five to thirty is overweight, and twenty to twenty five is sort of underweight or probably okay. And you know, you don't want to overfocus on BMI too much, but because it's not perfectly accurate, I mean, ideally someone would get it before they go on these drugs because you really want to focus on the muscle mask compartment. You get a DEXA scan, you get baseline blood panels, you go to a doctor.
Speaker 2: You have an EKG.
Speaker 1: But we know that very few people in these drugs actually do that, right.
Speaker 2: Let's see, I think the majority of people doing this the compounding route are at best getting it from some telehealth site where they've seen some on screen doctor for ten minutes, which is not I mean, it passes the test, but it's not really what you want to do, and that's probably at best. At worst, they're getting it, like you said, from the behind the gym, yeah, you know, or from whatever their local seven eleven or dry clean or whatever. Yeah, because everyone is selling reditrue Tide except you light lily. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, we're gonna wrap this up, but I just want to say that, you know, with a gigantic grain of salt, when you listen to these Jim Brows and chiropractors and personal trainers on YouTube and social media, when they give these advice about these peptides, they are giving, make no bones about it, they are giving straight up medical advice with zero medical training. And it in my mind, you know, medical doctor bums me out. But it really amounts to the abating and abedding the lightest light unlicensed practice of medicine. Blah blah blah. But just just be very careful where you.
Speaker 2: Get your advice from. Here's what I would tell you if you're thinking of going that route. Okay, you, as the user of one of these drugs, knows already as much or more than the person who's selling it to you. In these circumstances, they don't know anything. You don't know. They're getting their information just like you, off of TikTok or Instagram. They're not reading the medical studies in the Lancet, so you know, or you can know easily as much or more about them. So if you're going to go this route. And I think we agree, we don't really recommend doing this. We recommend doing this through a doctor. We don't. I think we could sum up by saying that we're not saying don't do this, we're saying this, do this with some caution, and do it carefully, and do it as part of a sensible program. These drugs do have a role, and they're frankly amazing, but do it in a way that you're protecting yourself, where you're taking reasonable precautions. And if you're going to do these drugs, you have the entire knowledge of the entire medical world in your pocket, on your iPhone, Get on chat GPT, get on Google, read some stuff about it, know what you're getting into, and then if you want to do it and make an educated decision, then go to your doctor and do it appropriately so you know that you're getting the pure drug and you're being monitored, and you're doing this safely, and it's not only improving your looks, it's making you healthier instead of sick.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think that's perfect advice. And I think Chat GBT is as bad as doctor Google used to be. Chat TBT is a very good medical clinician very good.
Speaker 2: So I'm consistently blown away by it that I can basically scan like a page of lab results and go, hey, what do you think of this? And it nails it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's incredible. Well, I think that was fun, really important, and I hope people appreciate that. We're not saying it's anarexia nervosa. It's not a psychiatric disorder. It's just a misuse of a very important, historic drug that really needs to be looked at very carefully and done with great caution.
Speaker 2: Right. It's like a lot of things in our industry. It's you know, most of plastic surgery is great. It becomes a problem when people take it to extremes. Yeah, you know, when you go too far. When you said when you put in fifteen hundred CC implants, it's the same thing. It's taking something that is a really powerful tool for beauty and self esteem and turning it into something potentially dangerous. So don't do it. Just use it sensibly.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, until next time. I hope you all enjoyed that, and we'll see you, hopefully very soon.