Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: Get Ready for a Great Night of Fights UFC three to oh three. It can be even bigger if you sign up. You know, it doesn't take long to the Draftking Sportsbook app, the official sports betting partner.
Speaker 3: Of the UFC.
Speaker 2: You know, make it simple. Go to DraftKings, select a fighter, place your first bet DraftKings New customers, All you have to do is bet five dollars to get one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus bets instantly. Okay, so you just download the app now, it takes ninety seconds. Do it on your phone. Takes ninety seconds. Put in the code Colin that would be me, col I N and there you go five bucks. You've got one hundred and fifty bucks. That's a pretty sweet deal. DraftKings only On DraftKings, the Crown is yours.
Speaker 4: Have a great summer gambling problem cold one eight hundred gambler or in West Virginia visit one eight hundred gambler dot net. In New York call eight seven seven eight open wired, text hope and y four six seven three six nine. In Connecticut, help is available for problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino when resorting Kansas twenty one and over age varies by jurisdiction, VOYD and Ontario. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. See DKNNG dot co slash bball for eligibility and depositive restrictions terms and responsible gaming resources.
Speaker 3: What's up, everybody? Welcome back to the Draymond Green Show.
Speaker 1: H The second round of the NBA Draft just ended, which is obviously the best round of the NBA Draft. All the stars come out of the second round, you know, so we'll we'll discuss that. No, we'll discuss the entire draft. I mean, some exciting things about the draft, not so much on some other parts, but we'll get into that. MIKEL. Bridges trade. A few more things going on around the NBA that we will discuss up. But first, the twenty twenty four NBA Draft has concluded, and the number one pick was Zachary risus Chet, second pick in a row from France to be well, second number one overall pick from France, only the four or five think in history. There's that and everybody's like, oh, man, France and Europe has taken over the NBA, and they did.
Speaker 3: It did seem that way in that.
Speaker 1: Draft last or last night and today. But might I remind you, y'all said, this is the weakest draft in recent history. So don't tell me France is taken over the NBA. And but because they have so many players drafted this year, or that they or you know, international overseas.
Speaker 3: However you want to categorize it.
Speaker 1: Don't tell me that they're taking over the NBA and they're far more superior in to the NBA because they had a lot of players drafted and what even before the draft started was kind of dubbed as the worst draft for the last fifteen years. You cannot then say, oh, because that draft was dominated by European players or French players that they're now superior to and they're taking over the NBA. That actually just doesn't make sense to me. Nonetheless, there is this topic of conversation that the European countries are catching up to the Americans, and quite frankly, I think you'll see very soon in the Olympics how the European countries definitely have put out players Joker Luca. You know, as of late, those two uh Wimby, they have put out some generational talents as of late, for sure. No no debating that, nobody's arguing that. But there's this big debate on like Europe taken over the NBA, and I just don't agree with that number one. Number one, I'm not sure we've still reached the day of where a European guy is the face of the NBA, because the NBA is an American league, like and I'm just not sure we've hopped out hurdle yet. But we will soon see, or you all will see, because I know the real how America still dominates. Like and by the way, when you look at domination, you can't just also look at like, oh, this star and that star.
Speaker 3: You have to look at the whole, like the whole body of work.
Speaker 1: And if you look at the whole body of work of the US players, US born players in the NBA right now, the superstars of the NBA, the non superstars that are from Europe, and the superstars from America, the non superstars from America, it's not even close. The non superstars, like the non superstars from Europe and the non superstars from America.
Speaker 3: Isn't even close, like actually isn't even discussion.
Speaker 1: So that also plays a part in who's superior and all this you get like the talking heads like, oh, I'm telling you the US born players better watch out because Luca, like Luca is once in a generation. That's why all his stats like line up to the bronze this thus far in the career, like he's once in a lifetime, for sure, Joker Janni's for sure. But you got to go through the whole body of work, and so I'm looking forward to that. Please stop with the their taking over the league and at the same time saying it's the worst draft in recent history, because those two things are they don't make sense. If I had to say who won the draft, who won the draft to me was the Minnesota Timberwills. And the reason the Minnesota Timberwills wanted the draft is because they drafted their point guard of the future and Rob Dillingham, who I think is a very special player who some of those teams at the top.
Speaker 3: Of the draft were afraid of.
Speaker 1: Because he got swaged and he got game and they don't know if his game is going to fit into their systems that don't work and get them fired when you can just get a really good player who can score the basketball, Steph Curry, and figure out how the system works for him. And then all of a sudden, the franchise is in territory that it's never been in before. But you know, at times we run into these guards with swag that they just don't fit in the system, and so teams run away from him.
Speaker 3: And there's gonna be some teams.
Speaker 1: That's going to regret passing Rob Dillehan because he's the best Paier scorer in that drive. He wants to be a great pro. If you talk to the young man off the court, great young man, but y'all probably don't know that because you just judged by how he bounced around cording his game.
Speaker 3: Very smart young man looking for the game, want the game, want the knowledge.
Speaker 1: And now he about to go play behind Mike Conley, a young Anthony Edwards who he's about to be running mace with for the next ten years. And I'm just not sure many backcourts going to want to see him, and man, good luck so with him. And then Terren Shannon Jr. Who had an incredible two years at Illinois after leaving Texas at Texas Tech, goes and have an incredible career. Illinois falls in the draft because he gets lied on.
Speaker 3: Then he falls in the draft. Everybody run away from him.
Speaker 1: Minnesota sitting right there, twenty seven, will take him. Guess what beca because the way Minnesota's rosters right now, he may help Minnesota next year more than than rob because he's a big wing, can shoot the ball, can get downhill, get to the free throw line.
Speaker 3: And when he can check.
Speaker 1: And when you got big wings that can check in this league, Jaden McDaniels, they play by the way. They make a lot of money. So Minnesota won the draft. To me, look what they just did after coming off of Western Conference finals. Look what they just did. I like, gotta get Tim Connelly a lot of credit. He keep doing special things. And listen, I'm a tough credit. You gotta do special things over and over again for me to be like wow. And I've always respected him because you see the work he's put in. But he just continues to snatch more and more respect, Like, continues to snatch more and more respect because what he just did in that draft, Like he couldn't have nailed those two picks better. So Minnesota won the draft to me, and quite frankly, Minnesota didn't need to.
Speaker 3: Win the draft, but they won the draft.
Speaker 1: And that's a team that's poised to try to compete for a championship and you gotta respect it. Gotta respect that, So shout out to Minnesota.
Speaker 3: I think Zach Edie at number nine was a great pick by the Grizzlies.
Speaker 1: And the reason I think so is because the Grizzlies. The Grizzlies need a center. They have to have a center. Jaron's not a center. Jaron's a power for it. And when you allow Jaron to rome with a great rim protector behind him, Jaron is going to be right back in the defensive Player of the Year rankings next year because he's going to be able to do what he's special at get weeks.
Speaker 3: Side blocks, roam around plug.
Speaker 1: And that's going to be great and he don't have to worry about being the main rim protector and that's going to unlock Jaron defensively.
Speaker 3: Again, Zach. I also think for the Grizzlies it's.
Speaker 1: A low reward, high risk, excuse me, low risk, high reward pick. I think it's a very low risk, high reward pick because quite frankly, kid, what did he win back to back National Player of the Year, Like nobody's nobody's judging you for taking him with the knife pick, Like nobody's like, oh, you shouldn't have. Like Edie's kind of that secret in the drift, or not necessarily secret, but he's kind of that unknown I would say in the draft of where like you don't know if his size is gonna translate, like do he move well enough? Quite frankly, I think what he does is going to translate.
Speaker 3: But like Biggs in the NBA today, is going back to that? Is it not?
Speaker 1: Like? But if it does and you get him any pan out, you look great and you paying him young, you get four years on a low contract with now Jared making the big money and Job making the big money and Dasman making the big money.
Speaker 3: So I like that pick a lot. I like that pick a lot for the Grizzlies.
Speaker 1: I think he'll be ready to go right now, senior play for Matt Pater into Big ten. Physical, gonna be tough, gonna know his stuff because when we from the Big ten, that's what we do.
Speaker 3: I like to pick.
Speaker 1: I like that pick a lot, and I think that pick is going to be huge for the Grizzlies, and not many people is talking about it, but like that pick. Lakers had a very interesting pick. Uh Dalton connect. I thought, y'all, I thought I was gonna say, Bronnie, huh we get into that hold your horses.
Speaker 3: I like that kid a lot.
Speaker 1: He's he's a decent athlete, can shoot the ball, got great size playing with that size alongside a d and bron and can shoot the ball and score the ball the.
Speaker 3: Way he can.
Speaker 1: I think, uh JJ is going to run him off screens because that's who JJ was, So JJ is going to be looking for that. And I think if he can come off screens, which he showed some at UH Tennessee, come off screens firing and turned the corner and getting downhill, I think that's very beneficial. So I like that pick for them, and then that leads us to uh Bronnie, which.
Speaker 3: Number one.
Speaker 1: Congratulations to Bronnie, to bron Vanna, the James game Z Bryce, congrats to them. I mean, obviously we all know what Bronnie went through a year ago and to be here today getting drafted by the Los Angeles Lakers with the fifty fifth pick, will be the first ever father son duo to play in the NBA. Absolutely incredible to even to go through that and make it back from that and be within the NBA within the year, like as a testament to his drive and work ethic.
Speaker 3: And I actually think.
Speaker 1: Brownie is going to end up being a better pro than a lot of these players in this draft because has the athleticism, has the basketball IQ, plays the game the right way.
Speaker 3: I think he's going to be a good shooter in the NBA.
Speaker 1: And I think a lot of people judge Brownie off of his production last year at USC, which is a little skew because, hey, for anybody coming back in the middle of a season and trying to play when everybody's in tip top shape is hard to do that as a newcomer, as a freshman, as a rookie miss training, can miss some of the season and you come in it's nearly impossible.
Speaker 3: He did it.
Speaker 1: And I think also when you look at the team that he was on, Isaiah Carrier, who's a first round pick, it's.
Speaker 3: A point guard.
Speaker 1: It's marble, a score first point guard getting downhill, and Brownie's a point guard playing the two because Isaiah's number one pick in the class. That's how these things work. Number one, excuse me, number one player in the class coming out of high school. So he's going to get to the point guard spot and you're going to move Brownie off the ball. And in basketball, we always tend to think like positions don't matter. But I would love to see you take a wide receiver and them at offensive tackle, or like take the center and put them at quarterback, Like I would love to see you do that.
Speaker 3: But in basketball sometimes were like, oh.
Speaker 1: It don't matter, Like, but if you're a true point guard and somebody take you off the ball, it matter, Actually, Josh Giddy, Like when you're a true point guard and you didn't have to go play off the ball, it's different, especially when you don't have a point guard that's feeding you, a point guard that or even a point guard that plays the point guard position the way you play the point And so I think some of that is being overblown, like the production at USC, I think people don't look at those things that matters. Nonetheless, I'm just gonna take the bet that this kid works hard, which he does. He has Lebron James DNA and I'm gonna take the bet on that, like it it makes sense. And then you watch him playing, he's a good basketball player. I'm gonna take that bet because, a you got him at fifty five, so if he even becomes a rotational player, you did great. And I think he could possibly become a rotational player in the next two years. So shout out to Brownie, shout out to the James game. Absolutely incredible to see him drafted, happiest hell for him.
Speaker 3: For them to see that, like, it's nuts.
Speaker 1: I remember when bron first said it three four years ago, like I want to play with You're.
Speaker 3: Like, man, what, like you ain't gonna be playing?
Speaker 1: Like yeah, they did it, So shout out to them, Man, that's super dope. Next trade, Mike kel Bridges to the Knicks for five first round picks, five first rounders plus pick swaps. I was a little shocked. I was shocked because it's crazy. When so when Mike kel got traded to the Nets from Phoenix, everybody kind of knew the Nets would at some point going to this rebuild that they just went into, and so everybody was kind of talking about what they would trade for Mike l Bridges and you are here like four first round picks. Five first round picks would be like the cost of the trade. And then the Rudy go Bear trade happened. And when the Rudy go Bear trade happened, initially in the first year of it, it didn't look like it was working. And everybody gives up on things extremely fast in this day and age that we live in.
Speaker 3: And so it didn't look like it was successful.
Speaker 1: So then everybody pulled back on like the drive picks, like whoa, like they just took too many draft picks away, that's the highest and then it kind of reset the market.
Speaker 3: So then in turn, you see.
Speaker 1: How many picks Damian Lillard got drafted for, I mean got traded for last year, which was like two first round picks, I want to say, plus Drew Holiday, But we knew Portland didn't necessarily want Drew Holiday. What they wanted was the picks. They didn't flip Drew Holiday for some players and some picks. But the market had been reset. And now with Michel Bridges, with the mikeel Bridges trade, it went right back up to the amount of picks that Rudy Goberts traded for strictly due to the success that the Minnesota Timberwolves just had. So they go to the conference finals, have a tough conference finals, but everybody thought for a second, like, yo, this team might win the finals. And so we always talk about the copycat league, and look at that in an indirect way. You see it again, the copycat league. And so the Knicks give up a bunch of picks, and what the Knicks essentially just did was they pretty much just said they're going for it now. And I think Mike hal Bridges is one of the better wing players in our league.
Speaker 3: You know, great two way player.
Speaker 1: He defends extremely well, shoot the ball extremely well. I thought in Brooklyn the second year, uh, he got caught with the ball in his hands too much, and I don't think that's where he's at his best.
Speaker 3: I think he has the ball and when he has the ball, he can make plays.
Speaker 1: But I thought the ball was kind of in his hand a bit too much that second year, and I thought it hindered his play a little bit.
Speaker 3: Now he'll be.
Speaker 1: Back at his kind of a normal position where you know, he catching and shooting. He catching, attacking the close out, and I think that best suits him, allows him to play his best basketball. We know he can do something with the ball, and so it's always good to have those skills when you need to get to it. But I think he's better suited and more of it, and like his role in Phoenix, but out of much higher volume, like use him more, use him more within your offense, for sure, but just coming down calling for a pick and roll every time, I don't think that's where he's best suited. How Nonetheless, anyway, the New York Knicks went for it, and they just mortgaged off their future, saying we got it right now. And that's been a hot topic here on the podcast during the playoffs because I told y'all, I you know what I thought about the New York.
Speaker 3: Knicks, and I've had a bunch of New York Knicks fans come.
Speaker 1: Up to me over the last Let's see what has been since the New York's Knicks lost.
Speaker 3: Maybe a month.
Speaker 1: Is over the last month, Like you were wrong about the I was at a friend's wedding this weekend, actually in New York, and the best friend of the groom.
Speaker 3: Since elementary school.
Speaker 1: She's a New York Knick fan, big time New York Knicks fan, and we had a little thing back and forth for a while. She tried to tell me, like, you were wrong about my Knicks. I said, who was wrong? And she was like, you were wrong because blah blah blah said no, but the Knicks lost in the second round, so I was kind of right. And she was like, no, such and such got hurt and when og anob.
Speaker 3: Plays were twenty six and six and blah blah blah, and this person was hurting. That person was hurt.
Speaker 1: And I said, well, I didn't necessarily say y'all were going to be healthy or hurt. I said, I didn't think y'all get much further.
Speaker 3: So I was right.
Speaker 1: And she went on this whole thing back and forth for a while, and like ultimately she ended up telling me I was right, which was true. But anyway always brings us, you know, to this discussion. I think Adam Mike kel Bridges resigning to oj Nnoby to a five year, two hundred and thirteen million dollar contract, I think those are great things that makes that team better. And I think that team is going to be tough because they're going to defend. We know TIMS teams are going to defend. They got offensive weapons, but I ultimately don't think that team gets over the hump still.
Speaker 3: And so if the team does it gets over the hump, say in two years, then everybody in the NBA get really in paid like it ain't working. We gotta make.
Speaker 1: Moves, and then it then and then now you're looking to trade some of those guys to get some picks back in, because you move on to where the Knicks were four or five years ago, which was four or five years away from being four or five years away. And so now the Knicks are in the space where they're going for and I respect it. I think you know, you gotta go for it at some point. But what just happened with the trade was that, you know, if this doesn't work in two to three years, the Knicks will be rebuilding again because they traded all their picks away, and then they'll be trying to like trade those guys to get picks back in. And that's kind of how it all plays out. And uh, I'm sorry to the Knicks fans, but that's how I actually think it's going to play out. And I don't think it's any indictment to mikel who I think is like like a top tier player in the NBA, Like, you know, you got tears, but damn good player Jaylen Brunston who's all NBA, Julius who has been all NBA, Dante nothing beloved for Dante.
Speaker 3: Og who's a champion.
Speaker 1: It's actually no indictment on any of those guys.
Speaker 3: Like I just don't think that group is good enough to be Boston.
Speaker 1: Like, ultimately, you're building a team that you hope can be Boston, and I don't think that team is going to be Boston. So you got like a year or two like the Houston Rockets. I don't know if you'll remember the Rockets of all when we was on our run. I always talk to you all about them. It's they're very interesting. You got like two years and then it's like, oh that didn't work in Clint Capella gone like and the first Domino fall, and once the first Domino fall, that's it. It's going from there. And so that's what I kind of think is going to happen.
Speaker 3: That's how I.
Speaker 1: See it plan out. If it don't work, that's exactly how it will play out. So you heard it here first. Nonetheless, I think those are great moves by the Knicks. I just don't think they quite get you over the hump, which then you have to say, ah, looking down the road. But you know, I get it because if you're the front office, you got to swing because if not, you're gonna get fired.
Speaker 3: Because we play in this league that only really four to five teams want to win.
Speaker 1: Everybody say they want to win, and then a few more than the four or five will act like they want to win, but the reality is every ya, only really four to five teams really want to win a championship.
Speaker 3: Y'all, Like everybody want to win. I don't get that.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna take the time on this podcast to explain to you what I mean by that. Just know only four to five teams want to win per year for real, doing everything they can do to win. But for some reason, coaches get fired fast like nobody's tomorrow.
Speaker 3: In this league, gms.
Speaker 1: Get fired after they get rid of fire and get domn firing the coach a time or two to save their own ass. And it saw kind of like smoking mirrors because everybody really not trying to win. So if a team go to a playoffs a couple of years in a row and get to like the second round.
Speaker 3: If they get to like the second round.
Speaker 1: Or first round, exit, second round actually even mixing the conference finals here and there, then a year or two later, if they don't do the same thing, they get fired. But they be getting fired by these these teams that don't really want to win.
Speaker 3: And so it's a very interesting in dynamic and the NBA.
Speaker 1: I've just been thinking about this a lot, like why so many coaches get fired? Oh, they get fired because the GM throw them under the bus to save It's all right, Then the GM gonna get fired shortly after that.
Speaker 3: And it's just like this ongoing cycle.
Speaker 1: But you see, like all of these bad teams who really don't want the championships be.
Speaker 3: The teams that's firing the coaches. And so.
Speaker 1: In a league where that happens, that's what goes on with these teams. Everybody overreacts and it it half as fast. So they got two years stay on the clock. New York Knicks fans.
Speaker 4: In the next three years, do the New York Knicks make it to the NBA Finals?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Or no?
Speaker 3: No? I do not think so. No. Health is important. Health is very important.
Speaker 1: And uh, I'll tell you now, I don't want to see that team in the regular because they are going to be playing harder than nobody's tomorrow.
Speaker 3: I kid you not.
Speaker 1: That team defensively is going by the way.
Speaker 3: Defensively, that team is going to.
Speaker 1: Be tough, like tough, tough, and playing against a team like that during the regular season when you really don't got time to like prepare and and then you go up against that defense, man, it's gonna be hard.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be hard like that.
Speaker 1: They would not shock me if they get a number one seed. Number two seed wouldn't shot at all. But ultimately, I think when it comes down and winning a championship, you have to have guys who can get a bucket by any means necessary on anybody. I don't care who you who your defensive adjustment is, who you go to. That guy gotta be able to get a buck it on him in order to carry a team to a championship. And like, there guys you can make it tough on and so I don't think. So that's just my opinion. I'm sorry Knicks fans, I'll be like, you're a hater, Like, no, I just got an opinion and that's it. Before we get out of here, we're gonna talk top top five picks, and no, not top five picks of the NBA drift, top five second round picks, that is, because that is important before we get out of it. I saw one of the funniest things on Twitter. I may start looking for these on the show, Kevin Durant. I'm going to read it to you because I don't there's no point in me butchering it. Kevin Durant. Some dude goes SJ Basketball eight. At SJ Basketball eight, says KD so sorry, look at what his reputation is now.
Speaker 3: Lol.
Speaker 1: Kad retweets him and go, well, check ball then, And I thought that was hilarious because so many fans think that they could just do like who are you to call Kevin Durant sorry?
Speaker 3: Like the things that fans actually say. It's crazy. So I'm gonna start calling you out on this show.
Speaker 1: And by the way, everybody's gonna be like, hey's sensitive, Kevin Sister, He responded to casual, but all he said was check ball.
Speaker 3: And it's very true.
Speaker 1: By the way, you said, I'm sorry, at least from the neighborhood I come from. If you say I'm sorry, check up, Like, we don't need to keep talking about it. You don't need to say how good, how sorry I am? I don't need to say how sorry? Back you check out check ball in. I thought that was a hilarious tweet that I came across, just for some of these fans who'll be talking crazy. So we're gonna start highlighting y'all on this show. But let's get into this top five pick the uh top five second rounders, my top five second round. So I'm gonna give you a list of second rounders. You got Joker, Dennis Robin Manu Yours truly, Marc Gasol, Tony Cook, Coach, Gilbert Arenas, Paul Mills, South, Chris Middleton, Isaiah Thomas, Isaiah Thomas from Washington, not Oh Isaiah Thomas, Mo Cheeks, Draymond Green Show Isaiah not that one, then come on, Draymond Green Show. Not bad boys, Isaiah Thomas. That's a better way of saying my fi Uh, Doc Rivers, Jeff Horne, set Jalen Bronson, just to name a few.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: I think now Pascal is the end of the first round. But yeah, those are some second round picks. So my top five my top five Joker obviously, Dennis Rodman, Manu Martinsol and yours truly, no question. Yeah, that's that would be my top five second round picks. I think Jalen Brunson, if he continues to play the way that he's playing, I think he has a chance to creep up there. But that's my top five right now, signing off yours truly. That's a rap from this episode of The Draymond Green Show. Congrats to all of those fifty eight guys that got drafted.
Speaker 3: Enjoy it tomorrow. It don't mean shit.
Speaker 1: You gotta go staky, gotta go put your flag in the ground, earn your spot because they only care how long you get drafted for a day, and then we all started on the even playing field and made the best man win.
Speaker 3: And I haven't seen some of those top picks not win.
Speaker 1: So don't think it's guaranteed if you're up there because you got a Draymond Green coming from a thirty fifth pick that won't a spot. So go luck to all those guys, Congratulations to them and their families. Is a great day, enjoy it, but tomorrow lock in peace.
Speaker 3: The volume