Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey you welcome to Weird House Cinema.
Speaker 3: This is Rob Lamb, and this is Joe McCormick. And today on Weird House Cinema, we're gonna be talking about the nineteen eighty two Italian sci fi action film nineteen ninety colon The Bronx Warriors, directed by Inzog Castellari, starring Mark Gregory, Vic Morrow and Fred Williamson. Is this movie a copycat mashup of Escape from New York directed by John Carpenter and The Warriors directed by Walter Hill. Yes, it is absolutely those things, But this is one of those cases where a copycat mashup film is more than the sum of its parts, at least in my opinion. I think it's not as good as either of the main movies that it's copying, but I would say it's at least as entertaining as either of them. I found this a thoroughly absorbing spaghetti dystopia. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is not a dull exercise in ripoffs or anything like. This film has cool cast makes use of some great legitimate early eighties Bronx locations that you just look, you know, absolutely post apocalyptic, and we'll get into some of those reasons in a bit, as well as some excellent Roman soundstages. But yeah, it has a great look, has some cool actors in it, and is weird enough in its choices that you're like, oh, oh, yeah, I can see that. I can since the DNA, I know where what elements are coming together in this particular scene. But it's still coming to get together in a way that feels fresh and even daring at times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally, So I think we should start here just with a short plot summary, or at least plots set up to let you know what you're in for. So it goes like this, eight years into the future, in the Horrible year nineteen ninety, the Bronx is a war zone. The cops don't go there. It is ruled by the Gangs. Gangs like the Riders, the Tigers, Scavengers, the Zombies, and the Iron Men. There are other gangs mentioned in the movie. I'd just say question marks about those other ones because I don't know if we ever see them, But the Riders are maybe unsurprisingly an outlaw biker gang. The Tigers are like, what's what's their deal? They're like cool classic cars, and you know they dress in like suits from the nineteen thirties and forties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, classic cars, nightclub finery, with maybe a dash of like sword and sand Olympic.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, a little bit of that too, because sometimes their leader, the Ogre played by Fred Williamson, is dressed like a pirate. Yeah, he wears like a pirate, like like a frilly pirate shirt, but in kind of Las Vegas showbiz colors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he wears fine things. Well.
Speaker 3: We also have a gang called the Scavengers, which I have questions about whether they should be called a gang. They rather more seem like a subspecies. They're like a mutant or a type of zombie or something that lives in the sewers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they are exclusively underground, pale, pasty makeup, look a little bit undead, a little bit mutated. There's certainly, and then the Chuds came at me vibe to this.
Speaker 3: Faction exactly, though not wet zombies. They're dry, dusty zombies. Yeah. And then confusingly, those the Scavengers are zombies. There's another gang that is not zombies, but they're called the Zombies. The zombies are like roller hockey players.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're they're basically their whole vibe is kind of like American gladiator Samurai roller skaters, and they actually have a really cool aesthetic. I think they're my favorite because obviously all of this is inspired by the Warriors, which we previously talked about on the show, with you know, colorful, outrageous costumed gangs running the streets in New York City, and so it's very much in the flavor of that, but especially with the zombies here, with these roller skaters, I feel like they really took it and ran with it.
Speaker 3: They're a lot of fun. I would say my favorite gang. We meet in the movie. We only get a very brief encounter with them. I wish there was more. But they are called the Iron Men, and these are the top hat ballet mimes and kiss makeup.
Speaker 2: Yes, they're great as well, but this makes me feel like the names of all the bands are mixed up. It's kind of like that situation where you have a scrambling of the names of the characters and street fighters too, based on you know, when they brought it over for an English speaking audience, where like m Bison and ball Rog are mixed and Vegas mixed and because it feels like shouldn't maybe the Tigers be the iron Men, you know, the iron Men would drive classic cars. Meanwhile, the Tigers are Broadway dancers and mines.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Clearly, the zombies should be the actual zombie adjacent creatures in the undergark.
Speaker 3: Know, yeah, yeah, you'd think the mutants would be the zombies and not just the roller hockey guys. Yeah. Yeah. So anyway, that's what's going on in the Bronx. Those are the gangs that rule the roost there. Meanwhile, elsewhere in the city, we meet a rich heiress named Anne. Now I was originally gonna say her name is Anne Fisher, because we meet a character who I'm like eighty five percent sure is supposed to be her father, whose name is Ted Fisher. No, not Ted sam Fisher, because he also has his name credited different ways in different sources. But Sam Fisher. Anyway, that's probably too much preamble. And whatever her last name is, her father is the CEO of the Manhattan Corporation and arms manufacturing behemoth that becomes ungodly rich off of war, death and misery and by the ancient laws of corporate governance. Anne is set to inherit leadership of this corporation when she comes of age. So in rebellion against this In rebellion against this hollow and immoral life, Ann runs away from home to the lawless waste land of the Bronx, where she falls under the protection of a ruthless motorcycle gang called the Riders, and she falls in love with their surly, big haired teenage king Trash. Yes, I can't wait till we talk about Mark Gregory and Trash. But then in response Anne's father and the Manhattan Corporation, they raise the banners. Basically they won't let her go that easily. So to retrieve his daughter, Fisher hires an unstoppable, cold hearted mercenary named snake Place, I mean named Hammer to go into the Bronx and bring her back by any means necessary. And so the setup of the story is, can Trash and their allies and the writers survive the brutal onslaught of cops, assassins, rival gangs, some of whom are mimes and mutants to live another day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and maybe one day they will truly escape the Bronx, but that is another story.
Speaker 3: And she'll be told another time now. I Yeah. So there is another movie called Escape the Bronx is by the same director in Hastelari.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep, Mark Gregory. It's very much the sequel to this.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, so straight up sequel, like acknowledged sequel with the same characters. Yeah, yeah, okay, cool. Well I would like to see that then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it doesn't have a stellar a cast, but I think I've seen it. I've at least watched I think I've watched a riff version at least. But yeah, The Bronx Warriors is a lot of fun here. I should mention there's also a lot of discussion of a gizmo. This is not a magua. So if you hear us referencing the gizmo, you may every time they mentioned the gizmo, I pictured gizmo's cute, adorable face. But that's not what they're talking.
Speaker 3: About, though. I would say, in the context of the film, it's gizmo with the capital G. Not because it's the name Magua, but because it's not just like a gizmo, like a gadget of any kind. It's like a type of thing in this setting. Yeah, when you say like a gizmos. People are like, oh, a gizmo, you don't want one of those.
Speaker 2: So this movie I alluded to this already was famously filmed in both New York City and in Rome, so we have all these wonderful exterior sequences in legit post apocalyptic looking early eighties The Bronx, which was legitimately in extremely rough shape at the time. I think at this point something like forty percent of The Bronx was burned or abandoned due to a variety of sort of long term factors, as well as a wave of supposedly insurance driven arson. I've read the interiors. However, we see these are going to be mostly filmed on sound stages in Rome, which have a great and ruinous look. At times it feels like we're in catacombs, and I can only imagine like some of these had to have been shared sets with like other like Italian horror movies of the day, But I don't have any hard facts on that, but I'd read elsewhere that like the inspiration for this had to do with an Italian director or producer getting off at the wrong subway stop and emerging in post apocalyptic the Bronx in the early eighties, and they were just like, where have I traveled to? And that, as well as the obvious cinematic inspirations, may have played into the creation of this picture.
Speaker 3: I have a lot of questions about how this movie depicts New York geography. There were times where I was like, how does it going from here end up there? Like I'm not an expert in the layout of New York, but I have a basic sense of it. And there were a lot of times where what was happening did not make sense to me, Like it seems like somebody is leaving Manhattan across the Brooklyn Bridge and that takes them to the Bronx.
Speaker 2: Well you need you need one of those little GPS devices from Mutant Hunt, so then you know exactly where in the New York area you actually what are.
Speaker 3: Though without any street names or buildings or anything, just.
Speaker 2: The general shape, the geographic shape of the islands.
Speaker 3: And it has earth and water on it. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: The Bronx in this film is kind of like a magical realm unto itself. It can be accessed via different gateways, but it's set aside from reality, you know. Yeah, it's kind of like a like a dark domain, a domain of dread from Dungeons and Dragons. It's it's cut off by the mist, very much true. So my elevator pitch for this is Escape from the Warriors in New York is specifically from the Bronx, specifically in the Bronx, because again, we don't escape from the Bronx until the next picture.
Speaker 3: So yeah, we already mentioned some ways in which this is a derivative or copycat film, but it was having it was making me have thoughts about different kinds of copycat film making. I would say this is my favorite kind of copycat film. So it does not feel like a boring and more poorly made tread of a better movie. It actually comes together in a way that feels pretty unique, even though you can see what the direct inputs on it are. And I think this is for a couple of reasons. Part of it is just that the filmmakers here genuinely do have their own sense of style. So while I would say it does clearly have some plot elements and costumes and situations borrowed from these other movies Escape from New York and The Warriors, I would say it's not like trying to copy the cinematography of John Carpenter or Walter Hill. It has its own groovy, Italian flavored camera sensibilities and pacing and plot structure. It does have its own thing going on. And the other thing I would say I like about this type of copycat is that instead of just being derivative of one movie, it's a mashup of two. So it's not just like I'm making an Italian Escape from New York. It's smashing together elements of Escape from New York and the war, and those particle collisions produce interesting elements on their own.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, and what and no matter how like direct the cobbling together these might have been at some point in the production, you know, by the time they're actually shooting it, clearly things have taken on a life of their own.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, we'll have more to say about this synthesis of ideas as when we proceed into the plot and into the cast. But we'll go ahead and say, all right, it makes sense some of you might wish to experience this movie for yourself at this point, and if so, yeah, go out and find it. I think the disc that I've watched in the past was maybe the Blue Underground disc and I am not sure if that is still available or not. I did a quick search and I really wasn't sure offhand, like where the where the best blu ray for this film can be found right now? But if it's not currently if able on something new, then you can at least lean back onto that Blue Underground disc from from a few years back. I have to also mention I was pressed for time and did not grab this one at videodrome here in Atlanta. Instead, I rented it did digitally and then realized that completely unlabeled it was the rift track version of it and not the unriffed And to be clear, I think the first time I watched this was the old MST three K riff of it. So this is a very riffable film, very much in favor of both rifts of it. But thats not what I wanted here for weird house cinema obviously, And I just want to mention that as a warning in case you go out and you want to rent it from somewhere online, just be aware it might be the rift version mislabeled. So I ended up watching it and what was still I think really good quality on YouTube, though that's generally not my preference for this sort of thing. Yeah, all right, let's let's talk about the cast and crew of the people involved in the creation of this picture. Let's see, we'll start at the top. We mentioned already that the director and also one of the writers on this is Zog Castellari born nineteen thirty eight as of this recording, still with US Italian director active from nineteen sixty six through twenty ten. He worked at first in various spaghetti westerns with titles like sixty six is a few dollars for Django and sixty eight's one dollar two mini. That's that's always rough. That means you either can't make the purchas or more maybe it means you have to return a dollar.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure this guy he made. I was just looking at his filmography, and he made a number of films where the title is a whole sentence, like a subject and a verb and an object.
Speaker 2: There are so many of those Italian spaghetti westerns that have that sort of title formation, and I'm generally I've enjoyed some spaghetti westerns and some are still on my my to watch list. But for the most part, I just love these titles where they're titles like Djengo, bring a Gun, or you know, there's like a whole statement, there's a you could you could diagram the sentence that is the title.
Speaker 3: Yeah, their titles like dig your Own Grave and I Will Curse God.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, so yeah. He did some films like this. He also did war films like sixty nine's Eagles Over London or War two Picture I Believe. In seventy one, he directed The Jalloh Cold Eyes of Fear. I don't know you've seen more of these films than I have. I don't know if you're familiar with this one.
Speaker 3: I don't think I've seen that one. A lot of times. They have multiple titles. True, I might not recognize the title even if I've seen it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it might be under a different title you're familiar with its. Seventy six, he directed Koma. This starred Franco Nero. He directed Inglorious Bastards in seventy eight, The Shark Hunter in seventy nine, also with Franco Niro. The Day of the Cobra in eighty. This had Franco Nero in it, but also Sybil Danning The Last Shark in eighty one, and then this glorious film set and again in the Grim Future of nineteen ninety. So this was his first, I believe, post apocalyptic movie, but it was not his last. He followed it up with the memorable nineteen eighty three film Warriors of the Wasteland aka The New Barbarians. Features several cast members from this film and also a really cool Claudio Sliminetti score. That's one that I really enjoyed. There was a riff track of that years back. I watched it riff, loved it, and then have subsequently watched it without the riff. It's possible we've discussed that one on Weird House Cinement at some point in the future, but we'll see.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: After that, he did Escape from the Bronx, which we've been talking about, and subsequent films included eighty nine Sinbad of the Seven Seas that had Lufarigno in it, as well as various other pictures. And he has a cameo in this as a vice president presumably of the Manhattan Corporation.
Speaker 3: Is he the CEO named Fisher's Toady, the guy who's okay? The second in command. He's very I don't know, he's very smartly dressed in this film. He like I kept noticing his tie not it's very square. Hmmm.
Speaker 2: That's a good observation. I think he must have been pretty comfortable on camera, because I know this was not a one off. He I think frequently shows up in small roles and things that he did.
Speaker 3: Is that his voice. Is he doing his own dubbing?
Speaker 2: Well, now that I don't know the dubbing, you know, as is always the case with pictures from you know, of this era, eurocinema in general, from this era. You know, I think everybody's dubbed. Some people, some like English language actors in particular, did their own dubbing, and some one in particular was not available to do his own dubbing. So it's it's just mixed. So I'm not entirely sure on this. All right, Let's get into the screenplay here. There are at least two other individuals that are noted on this and it is There are a couple of names we've discussed before. There's Dardano Sacchetti born nineteen forty four his screenplay story credit, as well as Elsa Braganti and Elisa Elisa. I'm sorry, Elisa Braganti misredded there. She died in twenty twenty four. I'm not sure what here her birthday was. These two were married, both Italian screenwriters. Sachetti was we've discussed him on the show before because he worked with the likes of Lombardo Bava, Luccio Folci, Dario Dario Argento, an important name in Italian beast cinema. Just pops up on a number of different films from this time period, stuff like House by the Cemetery, City of the Living Dead, and Cannibal Apocalypse, all three of which we've talked about before.
Speaker 3: So we've done a good deal of Dardano Sichetti movies at the Yeah, yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: And then yeah and then Elisa, his wife. She also has writing or story credits on films like Zombie, House by the Cemetery, Hands of Steel, that's another one that've covered rat Man and many more.
Speaker 3: We haven't done rat Man. We have not done rat We did do Hands of Steel, House by the Cemetery. Okay, so we're in familiar hands here generally as far as writing goes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, all right, let's talk about this cast. At the top. We've already mentioned Mark Gregory playing a man called Trash. Mark Gregory lived nineteen sixty four through twenty thirteen, and here he plays the leader of the writers, our long limbed, hunky protagonist, Italian Jim Ratt turned actor who became for a few years anyway, one of the most recognizable faces in Italian genre action films. This was his debut and he's understandably green here. But for my money, in just the right way for a movie like this. I've said him before. I don't want my body actors, you know, guys coming in fresh off the gym for their first starring role. I don't want those guys to have like natural theatrical charisma. I prefer them to be a little awkward, a little green on the screen, like that's the secret sauce.
Speaker 3: As far as I'm concerned, you could argue that sometimes Arnold Schwarzenegger has a little too much confidence in charisma on screen, and you you know, it plays well in certain roles, but sometimes you want your muscle man yeah to be a little lost, to be like he's like, what is my heart for? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Like I mentioned it before, The Barbarian Brothers I too charismatic in all the wrong ways.
Speaker 3: For me.
Speaker 2: I was just like, these guys are too self confident in front of the camera. I don't like it. But give me Mark Gregory any day, because he does look lost half the time. But I wouldn't change a thing here. So Bronx Warriors was eighty two. He followed it up with eighty three's Adam and Eve, a Biblical Odyssey, and then the Bronx Warriors direct sequel, Escape from the Bronx, which again does not have a great cast, or not as great a cast as this one, though Henry Silva is in it. And then comes a trio of Thunder movies in which Gregory plays the title character Thunder, opposite Bose Benson in the first two movies and then opposite John Philip Law in the third. Oh Diabolic, Yeah, diabolic, indeed so. And those Thunder movies are eighty three, eighty seven, and eighty eight, And then he also did Delta Force Commando in eighty seven, this time opposite vote both Fred Williamson and Bos Vincent, and then eighty eight's Final Mission, And then there's also eighty nine's Afghanistan The Last War Bus. This would be his last film. It co starred John Vernon for unknown reasons. At this point, Mark Gregory ends up giving up acting and becomes a painter, and I think just basically does not live a pub public life after that.
Speaker 3: I don't know why, but I often find that kind of happy when I somebody just like they have an arc and then they're like, Okay, I'm not acting anymore and they just go do their own thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I mean, I think there's a tendency for us to try and look for the tragedy and such things. You know, you know, and obviously guess there could be, there could be, and you know, live life in general, for most people has its ups and downs, and you know it's only going to end one way. But you know, yeah, a lot of people, for a lot of people, the acting world, the directing world, whatever, it's just one phase in their life and sometimes by their own choosing, they decide to walk away from it.
Speaker 3: In more power to them. So there are a lot of interesting things about Mark Gregory's performance as Trash, the head of the biker gang. Here. One thing I want to note is that he actually is this character is the leader of the writers. He's their King, but he's also clearly and by far, the youngest member of the gang. All of the other guys in the writers are like grown men in their thirties or older, but Trash seems to be like eighteen years old, and he even has a kind of overt, moody teenager energy. Do you know what I'm talking about?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean it's one of the things.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: Like I'm not given enough credit when I'm say that he is green and maybe looks at a little lost. I still stand by that he does. But I mean he's he's still present on the camera and this awkwardness comes through, But so does this sort of you know, this sort of you know, teenage emo sort of a vibe, so that it's there in his physical energy as well. And it doesn't help that his co stars and a lot of these scenes are first of all, you know, like you know, season seasoned or at least semi seasoned actors in their their thirties, as well as like actual Hell's Angels hired to be the other bikers. So of course this this this young you know body guy fresh out of the gym outside of Rome, is gonna look a little different compared to these just you know, road roasted Hell's Angels guys who were just rugged as all get out. Yeah, there's a bit of a physical visual mismatch there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's funny, but it also it's kind of interesting. It's funny and interesting. I mean there are the funny part is like practical questions like how would you actually get to be the king of a biker gang if you're not old enough to buy beer?
Speaker 2: I mean, my, I guess he's he's like Alexander the Great, you know, or like one of these child pharaohs from throughout history. You know, maybe it was a birthright for trash.
Speaker 3: Oh third, I like that. Yeah, we don't know anything about the like what came before, but but it does create these interesting dynamics, like when he has to fight against internal descent, and clearly everybody else in the gang both is and seems way more mature than him. But also he's the like muscliest guy in the gang, So he's younger than everybody else, but he's also like bigger and buffer than everybody else. I don't know. Yeah, so and yeah, it's him squaring off against these like older, kind of grizzled character actors, and then just like literal actual Hell's Angels, people who look like they may have been dealing drugs on the side while shooting the movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Gregory too, he has a very unique physique. So there's a there's a muscle guy that is supposed to be Trash in the poster art for this film, and Trash does no, don't really look that much like him. Again, Trash is really really muscular, but he's also really lanky in a way, so he's like very long limbed, which I think also makes him look taller than he actually is compared to the other actors. So there is he does stand out, you know, stands out from the crowd for sure. But yeah, a very unique physical specimen to be sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and very like long hair that they love to frame blowing in the wind. Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: So he has kind of a glam rock vibe as well, Yes, so yeah, and he looks like a barbarian to be clear. Yeah, So that's Mark Gregory. We'll have more to say about this performance as we proceed, but we've got a number of other weirdly named characters to get through here. I'm going I think I'm going in billing order here. But I have some questions about how necessary this next character is because we have Christopher Connolly, who of nineteen forty one through nineteen eighty eight, playing a man called hot Dog. Hot Dog is his name, and he has a truck.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I just realized, I've watched the movie twice now and I don't remember what happens to hot Dog in the end.
Speaker 2: He has a truck. He knows about gizmo's and I believe he is.
Speaker 3: Shot doesn't He doesn't know about gizzez.
Speaker 2: He doesn't know about gizmos. Okay, does purpose here?
Speaker 3: They people try to corner him and be like, hey, you're the ones who's dealing these gizmos. He's like, I don't even know what a gizmo is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I guess the main thing is he has a truck. And it's weird because I like this actor, you know, I'm like, this guy seems interesting. I kind of want to see him in other movies, but I really don't know what purpose he has here. Christopher Connolly was an American actor. His credits go back to sixty two TV appearances on things like The Alfred Hitchcock Hour, A Big A main role on the primetime soap opera Payton Place, and then he appears in the seventy four film Bingi, the seventy eight film The Norseman from Charles B. Pierce, Oh, a Viking movie.
Speaker 3: But Charles B. Pierce, the director of Legend of Boggy Creek, exactly made a Viking movie. They did.
Speaker 2: And he continued to work in TV, but in the nineteen eighties he was doing a lot of Italian B cinema as well. So he pops up in Manhattan Baby from Fulchi eighty three's Atlantis Interceptors eighty six is The Minds of Kilimanjaro. Eighty six is Cobra Mission eighty eight to nine of the Sharks, And I believe that was his final film. And yeah, he did a lot of work, and I kind of I kind of want to see him in a film that where he has more purpose because he doesn't really have much. He has stuff to do, but he, like I said, you could cut him out and you wouldn't miss him at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't recall if his character does anything. The main plot function he has is he connects hammer to ice. Yeah, both characters we have explained yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he connects the dots he sets to hear why to see on the screen, just to confuse with other characters, I guess, because the other ones we're about to name have far more crucial roles in the picture, beginning with Fred Williamson born nineteen thirty eight playing a man called Ogre.
Speaker 3: I love Fred Williamson in this. One of my only complaints about the movie is that I wish there was more Fred Williamson in it. Every scene with him is a treat. He's one of these guys where you can just feel how much he loves being in movies, you know what I mean. Yeah, Like he's obviously having a great time dressed up in this purple pirate shirt decapitating mutants in the sewer. It's like this is the life, and the feeling is infectious. The other thought I have about this character is that it makes no sense whatsoever that this character is named the Ogre. Unless it's supposed to be an ironic title. He's not in the least bit ogre. Like, what are the characteristics of somebody called Ogre? It would be somebody who's like a big, strong, stupid, clumsy, brutish And this character is the exact opposite. He is like suave, clever, and deft. He's literally the opposite of ogreishness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not sure who you would really trade names because he doesn't feel like a hot dog either.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I guess he's tall, so he fits big right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, yeah, he's tall. So yeah, Fred Williams and I agree, pretty terrific in this he plays the leader of the Tigers and the self proclaimed king of the Bronx. So Fred Williamson is I think any football fans listening here today. American football fans know that he was a professional player in the nineteen sixties, and then as that career comes to an end, he turns to film, and so he becomes a major blaxploitation figure in blaxploitation cinema and then an international action leading man in the seventies and eighties. He took a special shine to Rome apparently in some of these productions, and ended up living and working there for a good two decades. And I've read that apparently learned to speak fluent Italian in the process, which I guess will not be surprising. Maybe you're spending that much time there. His TV credits go back to the late sixties again when his football career was finishing up. He appears in one episode of the original Star Trek, and he made his film debut in Robert Altman's nineteen seventy hit Mash, followed by Auto Preminger's nineteen seventy film Tell Me That You Love Me Juny Moon. But then after that, from about seventy two through seventy five or seventy six, just a whole series of black exploitation films, generally during what is considered to be like the heyday of this particular subgenre. He was like one of the major stars towards the end of that. That's when he started working in a lot of these Italian productions, and his credits from this time Imperio include Warriors of the Lost World, Warriors of the Wasteland, Larriors of the Year twenty seventy two, that's the full Chief film. And this work continued till about about nineteen ninety one. I don't know all told how many post apocalyptic barbarian warlords he played, but at least three.
Speaker 3: I think, Well he's great at it. I mean he was born for it. Just YEA love him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So he continued to act, appeared in such films as ninety six Is from Dust Till Dawn is a memorable role in that gets turned into a vampire like pretty much everybody in that movie, and various lower budget films as well. He's also produced and directed more than twenty films, and I believe is still active. I think he still has a film that is set to come out at some point that he's in and directs. Oh wow, yeah, still going all right, So that's ogre. Now let's come back to the one they call Hammer. He even says at one point, I'm the one they call hammer. And this is this character is played by Vic Morrow.
Speaker 3: This character fits his name a little better. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Weirdly enough, I've read that Fred Williamson's nickname in football especially was Hammer, so technically Fred fred Williamson is the Hammer. Again, there's this weird feeling that, like the names here are all scrambled and reassigned. I don't know, but that's an exercise to play later with, like pen and paper. So anyway, Vic Morrow lived nineteen twenty nine through nineteen eighty two and was, I should note, a legit child of the Bronx. So you know he's he is of the Bronx.
Speaker 3: That's part of the character in the movie. Everybody keeps mentioning he's from the Bronx. He knows the Bronx.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's Yeah, there's a there's actually a really great exchange where I forget who he's talking to. But they're like, you're trying to maybe he's talking to Trash where Trash likes you want people to forget that you came from the Bronx. And he's like, no, I want them to never forget I came from the Bronx.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pretty, which is why I'm going to destroy the Bronx. Yeah, so everyone will know I came from here. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, and at this point there's you know, there's what forty percent of the Bronx left, so it's it's pretty good even less because this is the future, right, Yeah, extrapolation of that time. Anyway, Vic Morrow, we've talked about him before on the show because he was in Message from Space.
Speaker 3: Oh that's right, he's the one who he's talking to the little R two D two robot in that and he's like the stars or where dreams are made, little guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, he was always great he was. He was also in the last Chart from eighty one, the other Castellari film, When, which is a pretty much a blatant Jaws rip off as I remember it, maybe it's a little more nuanced than that, if I were to get into it. But as I recall, Vic Morro basically plays the Quinn character.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's good casting. It is good casting. Who what you know, next? Actor on the wrong down? Who do you want to be? A Robert Shaw? I'd say Vic Morrow? Yeah, Yeah, he was really good.
Speaker 2: He was nominated for an Emmy in nineteen eighty three for his work on the TV series Combat exclamation Point and yeah, I don't believe we hear his actual voice in this film, so I don't think he came back to do his own dubbing, because he, of course died during the production of nineteen eighty three's Twilight Zone the movie in a terrible accident. But that being said, he's great in this. He's really terrificness. Even if this isn't his own voice, it's still a terrific physical performance. You mentioned that he's kind of the snake Pliskin of this film, and he is. He's kind of a mashup though of Snake Pliskin Lee van Cleef's character Hawk, and then also maybe a little bit of action of him Bison from Street Fighter, you know, especially in the latter portion of the picture, because in the first half he's like an independent contractor, bounty hunter, is sort of a guy, but then by the end he is like an establishment uniform dude leading a squad of like a death squad into the Bronx.
Speaker 3: You're entirely right. His character completely transform at the beginning, He's what if Snake Pliskin was the bad guy? Is what he is at the beginning of the movie, and then by the end he's just the He's like a head bad cop of a like mass murdering cop squad. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: And so the movie does operate on a number of like inversions of characters from these movies that it's copying, like Escape from New York and The Warriors, Like, so he is structurally Snake Pliskin. But if Snake Pliskin was the villain and the movie has all these things like that, it's like, what if Snake was the villain? What if the Duke of New York was actually a pretty cool guy. What if Donald Pleasance was a girl. What if the gang from the Warriors was in here also that kind of thing would.
Speaker 2: It'd have been great if they'd cast I don't know how old they were at the time, but Donald Pleasance has like two or three daughters who acted at one point or another, and I think maybe one of them still does act, Like that would have been perfect. Well.
Speaker 3: I like how they still keep something even though like he has to be read and escape from New York because he's the president of the United States. In this movie, it's a bit mixed up because it's half like kind of ransom film, like she's the daughter of a rich, powerful person, but also they keep a little bit of like she's actually personally important because it's like, oh, no, she's the heir of this corporation and we'll have to become the president.
Speaker 2: Hmmm. Yeah, Well, let's talk a little about Anna because it is. The actual details about the actress here kind of line up with this in interesting ways because this character is played by Stephania Girolami Goodwin born nineteen sixty three. She's also the assistant director on this picture because she is the director's daughter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the actress is really Inzo Castellari's daughter.
Speaker 2: Correct, Yeah, this Zenzo's daughter. She'd been in several of his films by this point, and she'd act in three more, including Warriors of the Wasteland and Sinnett of the Seven Seas. She was assistant director on this film, again, a role that she would continue to serve in various productions, and also productions that did not involve her father at all, Like she basically kept going with the directing, even the assistant directing, especially even though she she's left acting behind. But she was an assistant director on nineteen ninety three Super Mario Brothers, which we've talked about on the show.
Speaker 3: I would maintain still the weirdest movie we have ever done. Weird, pretty weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ninety five's Empire Records, which I think I've seen. It's definitely not a weird movie.
Speaker 3: No, it's like, you know, kind of fun romance, drama, comedy and you know, employees at a record store.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, fun, as I recall. And then she also directed some various Italian TV shows as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, so yeah, she's playing the character Anne in this and is we think Fisher's daughter or some other guy off screen that we never see's daughter, but right, she's important. She leaves behind the Arms Corporation to run to the Bronx become become I guess just blend in and live there is her plan. And then they're gonna they're gonna send Vic Morrow to I guess rescue her. But all he does is kill people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, the mission gets a little foggy after a pit here. All right, you mentioned Fisher. Samuel Fisher may or may not be her father, looks kind of like Ted Turner, played by an actor by the name of Eneo Girolami who lived nineteen thirty five through twenty thirteen. Italian actor with a familiar face in various productions like this, various works by Zo and he also appears in Dario Argento's Tenebra. So he's he's a familiar face if you watch a lot of Italian genre pictures.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's what I know him from. I expected him to be I don't know, a more familiar actor, because he looked very familiar. I felt like I've spent a lot of time looking at his face before, but he didn't really stand out.
Speaker 2: I think he often doesn't have the must sash, and that might be the reason. I think he's a little more memorable without the mustache.
Speaker 3: Do you think they were intentionally trying to make him up to look like Ted Turner? Because I had the same thought. He looks like Ted Turner. He's got like a blonde comb over and a blonde mustache.
Speaker 2: I mean it would make sense, right, you're just sort of cobbling things together, like if you're gonna you're gonna pick somebody, you know, some sort of like a rich American figure.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 2: They're only like a handful of choices that have that kind of like international notoriety. And if so umgla they went with this one, it would have been different if they come with the other one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but but I think Ted Turner also had recently become more famous, like around the time this movie was made, Like didn't he think he founded CNN in the very early eighties, like eighty or eighty one something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so that that would make sense it again, does it just feels like he's supposed to be Ted Turner? All right, let's get let's get out of Manhattan though and back into the Bronx, and let's talk about the leader of the what's see which faction is this? The zombies the leader of the roller skate faction man, not the zombie faction. Not the zombie faction. Wait, but there are the zombies, but they're not actual zombies. These are the roller skaters.
Speaker 3: These are the non zombies that are called zombies. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Their leader is a man named Golam and he is played by George Eastman. George Eastman, who have nineteen forty two through twenty twenty six Italian B movie legend, who sadly passed away May of this year. So this is our first George Eastman film that we've discussed since his passing.
Speaker 3: Well, we've done several George Eastman movies on here. Before we did Absurd, he was in Hands of Steel. Let's see what else have we done with him? I know at least a few other things.
Speaker 2: This may be only the third George Eastman picture that we've covered, But anytime I see him attached to something, he comes up a lot because he's just he's everywhere.
Speaker 3: The personable George Eastman. Yeah. So, if you haven't heard our episode on this or seen the movie, Absurd is pretty interesting because it's an Italian copy of Halloween. John Carpenter's Halloween, but the killer instead of Michael Myers behind a mask, it's just George Eastman with no mask. That's just his face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he had a great face, a towering beast of a man, you know, often had this big beard, has capable of just displaying this extremely loopine grin. So yeah, tremendous. He was also a screenwriter. He got into doing that because I'm to understand, like he would be working on these pictures with just terrible scripts, and he was like, well, I get let me give it a go. I can improve on this, and so kind of got into writing scripts for B films that way. But yeah, he had quite a run. I mean, he's in films ultimately from directors that range as greatly from like Joe Tomato to Fellini, but surely best remembered for these various roles as towering, glaring, snarling heavies, often in a post apocalyptic scenario or in some sort of a Jallo or like Slasher Gorse. Here his look is very interesting because he's often pretty gruff looking, you know, and sometimes actual guts dripping from his mouth. Here he has again that American gladiator samurai roller skater vibe. So he's actually pretty polished looking in this picture.
Speaker 3: This is the least threatening he has ever looked in a movie to my mind. I mean, I don't mean to insult Eastman in this way, but he's one of those people who he just has a face and a smile that on itself, with no makeup or modification, can look dangerous and obscene. Yes, yes, yeah it was. This was his natural gift.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he again he towers over I forget how tall this guy was, but he was. He was really tall, something like six' nine maybe you know who knows how tall that is in movies. Speak that's like being like seven to five in. Movies so, yeah he tended to tower over anybody he was acting, opposite which just added to the effect he, was you, know like a lot of the great character ackers and heavies and, pictures you don't have to pay for special effects when you cast somebody like.
Speaker 3: This he has a great fight scene With Fred williamson later, on Where Fred williamson really sticks it to.
Speaker 2: Him yeah all. Right, next we have a man Called. Ice ice is played By Joshua sinclair born nineteen fifty three and man if everything out there on this guy, is to be, believed pretty interesting, guy and if it's not to be, believed still pretty interesting that there would be all this stuff made up about. Him BUT i have no reason to really doubt any of. This But american actor who found work In italian cinema in the early, seventies including, parts at least small, parts and stuff like seventy One's Lady, Frankenstein keoma in seventy six and then the string of films of These enzo, Films but he had also been writing. Screenplays he co wrote the screenplay to nineteen seventy Eights just A, jigglow Starring David bowie And Marlena. Dietrix we've mentioned that on the, show having covered. It he wrote the nineteen eighty five Novel, shakazulu which was made into A tv mini series in eighty, six and then continued to work as a writer and producer while also allegedly earning a medical degree in the eighties to work in tropical diseases and then he also wrote and directed twenty EIGHTEEN'S A rose In winter and is also reportedly a professor in, filmmaking comparative, theology and biblical anthropology at least according to some internet. Bios SO i don't, know maybe it's all. True i'll just assume it's all. True an honor system here for striting these bios ON IMDb is on the. Level but, yeah he plays an interesting. Character it turns out to be a bit, traitorous, surprising you, know keivin that he's the one wearing the Most nazi uniform bits on his biker uniform.
Speaker 3: Here, YEAH i couldn't believe that the guy in THE ss jacket turns out to be not.
Speaker 2: Trustworthy, yeah, yeah He's, yeah He's he's a worming. Character he's got these glasses that kind of add to the. EFFECT i should also mention there's a scene where you had to have noticed. This he and another biker are like riding down the street slash, sidewalk and they're about to go around a. Corner he just absolutely wipes, out and it's, never, yeah never. Acknowledged it's not like the next scene is, like, oh, man are you all? Right you really took a spillback, there or you'd think, like oh, no the mutants got. Him, no, no apparently he just like legitimately wiped out and then they just kept it in the, movie they're, like that's too, good it serves no, purpose but we'll keep.
Speaker 3: It. Wow, uh, WELL i like that they made that. Choice no offense to him, personally but he has great like scheming backstabb or. Energy he is born to play this, role it seems. Like BUT i guess, also you don't know from the very beginning that he's going to do. That, though as we were saying, that The nazi jacket kind of gives it, away THOUGH i did want to come back and discuss the kind of complicated context of the, jacket which is that he's not the only gang member Wearing nazi. Insignia, however we don't see in the movie any indication, that like the people wearing this stuff in the, gangs Including, hans are actually supposed to be Ideological. Nazis this kind of choice really really does not scan well. Today but this was part of a trend in some like seventies and eighties subcultures of Using nazi imagery as like generically, wacky transgressive kitch that was supposedly not connected to the real meaning Of. NAZISM i don't think this framing really, Works LIKE i don't think you could put On nazi stuff today and say, like, NO i don't really mean, it it's, just you, know it's just wacky. Whatever because even if it doesn't mean anything to, you the person wearing, it it's going to mean something to basically everybody who sees, you and that something is like very threatening and very. Stupid so it is not a cool style choice in. Reality BUT i think that is what's going on in the. Movie it's part of this like seventies eighties thing Where nazi kitsch was just supposed to be a, weird non conforming stylistic middle. Finger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, YEAH i think the middle finger part is. Key and if you watch enough biker films from this, era you do see a lot of this sort of. Thing Like i'm reminded of nineteen sixty Six's Wild, angels an outlaw biker film that Has Peter fonda And Bruce dern in, it and there's a scene WHERE i Believe Bruce dern's character has died and they drape A nazi flag over his casket and they have a funeral stuff like. That it's, just, yeah it's it's it's a part of the subculture and then part of the cinematic. Subculture that we get through these through these.
Speaker 3: Movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, oh here's another interesting cast. Member we also there are some women in the, gangs or at least one of The.
Speaker 3: Tigers, yeah, yeah and The, tigers there's there are some women in the writers. Too they're not any of the main writers who like go on the, missions but there are a couple of who hang out there with the gang at the het. Out.
Speaker 2: Yeah but there's a more capable seeming member of The tigers by the name Of, witch and she is played BY. Elizabetha dessi born nineteen fifty. Seven as we see, her she's pretty. Cool she's got these like knife fingers that she. Wears she's apparently second in command To, ogre so she's pretty highly. Ranked this Is desi's only film, role alongside of a couple OF i believe like music video. Appearances but she's An italian model and Former olympic swimmer in the nineteen seventy Six Summer. Olympics and she is still active as a model today in her late. Sixties i've seen her described as a pro aging model and so like still like a major, force like you, know major magazine publications and fashion designers and. Stuff so you can look look her. Up she's On instagram and everything pretty.
Speaker 3: Neat story pro aging is in like she advocates what they might call it natural, aging and yeah, Modeling.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's my under. Standing YEAH i, AGAIN i. HAVEN'T i wasn't familiar with her before rewatching this. Picture but, yeah she's you, know on the cover of magazines like l and so.
Speaker 3: Forth she had a cool look in the. Movie she still has a very cool look. Today she doesn't have the ninth fingers. Anymore, no she should wear those all the. Time BUT i really like her in this. Movie she has great like she hits poses in the movie very much like somebody who's used to being a, model like hitting poses for fashion shoots and. Stuff but she has great, Style like she cracks the whip with such Dashing she has the whip and the talon fingers and, yeah great she goes to fight the. MUTANTS i like.
Speaker 2: HER i mentioned that The Hell's angels are in this, picture at least in the outside scenes actually shot in The. BRONX i don't think they flew The Hell's angels over To. Roam but this also means That Chuck zito is in there, somewhere if you're familiar with some of these biker, characters he's one of the.
Speaker 3: Bikers there are at least two different guys in the ride is who both look Like Steve.
Speaker 2: Earl, yeah, yeah, yeah that's. TRUE i mean it's a weathered looking group of extras they have.
Speaker 3: HERE i mean more Like Steve earl, now Not steve curl in nineteen eighty.
Speaker 2: Two, yeah all. Right and, finally the music here is By Walter. Rizzotti his other scores include eighty One's The house by The, cemetery so we have mentioned him. Before he also did a variety of action, films Including thunder. TWO i don't know what his life dates, are but he was active from sixty six through at least nineteen ninety. Three and on the, WHOLE i thought it was an enjoyable score, here generically jazzy in, places BUT i, think for my money, anyway a lot more fun in its weirder, moments mainly in the mutant tunnels and the end credit music is also pretty.
Speaker 3: Great, YEAH i like the music pretty. Good in, FACT i would say one of my favorite music moments in it is one of the generically jazzy. Parts it's when the iron men show up and every time they're on, screen it just starts playing But doo do Doo LIKE.
Speaker 2: I do love, jazzy funky debts in These italian. SCORES i, mean it's one of the things that makes them so. Great at, times it's like you have, something you, know it's like some sort of gallo picture zombies or, whatnot and you get to hear that thumping.
Speaker 3: Bass it's pretty. Great, Yeah, okay you want to talk about the, plot let's do. It so immediately from the, credits you know this movie is gonna have. Guts it has really strong bold credits. Sequence the, MUSIC i would, say is one Part John Carpenter escape From New york, soundtrack one Part italian disco. Funk the credits play over close up shots of weird bits of costume and texture from the. Movie so we see a clinched fist with four different skull, rings like a different skull on each. Knuckle we see half of a face with a, sad downcast eye surrounded by a violet wing like shape marked in face. Paint we see a roller skate with green wheels just spinning in the air against.
Speaker 2: Nothing we should mention that this picking this movie came out of your desire to do some sort of a rollerblading or roller skating, picture.
Speaker 3: So we got here. Obliquely there are actually a bunch of post apocalyptic roller blades centric, movies AND i was like looking through them and just like one after, another like there's no way to watch, this there's no way to get this. Thing, oh this one's. Disgusting so like one after another just kind of fell. Through but THEN i landed on this And i'm so GLAD i. DID i think this movie was more fun than maybe any of the rollerblade MOVIES i was looking. At but, so, yeah we do have some roller skating in this. Movie the, zombies the Roller Hockey.
Speaker 2: Gang they spoiler they don't Get GEORGE. E span on roller. SKATES i don't know if they and he's, LIKE i can't do, That Like i'll just fall down and it's not in my. Contract, yeah like heads too high up there for that fall to take. Place it would have.
Speaker 3: DONE i, meant but prominent roller skate wheel in the, credits it's just spinning in the. Air we also see a leather elbow pad mounted with a steel. Spike people will die in the movie by that. Spike we see a hand in finger gloves holding a knife with a brass knuckle, handle a silver spike with, studs a hand wearing rings with attachable steel. Talons these are the weapons of the Character, witch who will meet. LATER a Rosa kleb style boot with a knife blade sticking out of the, toe a sort of a lady's, haunch showing off some black leather and garter. STRAPS i think this is probably Also witch. Again and then like faces painted with, feathers metallic, flames and psychedelic punk.
Speaker 2: Butterflies, YEAH i think that those are maybe details from The Iron men there with The broadway. Faction so, YEAH i love this intro, here this movie suiting up like it's about to commit a jalloh crime, here you, know like the strong fetishizing of the weapons in this.
Speaker 3: Sequence the spike club could really be in An argento. Movie somebody randomly shows up with that, thing doesn't even explain what it, is it's just. So the action opens in deep blue twilight with a young woman sprinting desperately across a. Bridge we will learn that this Is, anne one of our, protagonists and she is running away from her wealthy life In manhattan to go to the lawless hell the of The bronx. IMMEDIATELY a couple of. Issues one is THAT i thought her outfit was kind of funny because she's wearing like a frilly white blouse with a, tall lacy. Collar she doesn't really seem like running away from my life on foot. Clothing, also she's wearing boots with.
Speaker 2: Heels, Yeah, like did she even pack a? Back maybe she's lost it at this.
Speaker 3: Point it could Be, ALSO i want to flag HERE i said something about this, earlier but the movie will keep raising geographical questions in this. SCENE i could be wrong Because i'm not an expert On New, york but it looks to me like she's running out over The East river headed Into. Brooklyn and you definitely don't go that way From manhattan to get to The. Bronx that's basically the opposite. Direction SO i think the only water you'd have to cross to get From manhattan to The bronx is The Harlem, River, right you go Up manhattan and then across The Harlem river and then you're into The. Bronx and is that sounds?
Speaker 2: Right but, again it's one of those things THAT i have this experience as a visitor To New, york AND i think maybe the filmmakers had this exact same. Situation is when you're taking the, subway it does feel like. Magic it feels like you're emerging in different fairy, realms you, know like Now i'm in The bronx by virtue of the iron worm that crawls through the. Earth so you can lose, track especially now now more than, ever you can depend on devices to help. You but, yeah the geography questions remain regarding this picture for.
Speaker 3: Sure, well in a, Way i'll just SAY i think it is like. MAGIC i, mean a city with a great public transportation system that can get you most anywhere is a, beautiful wonderful, thing especially having lived in places without as fully developed public transit. Systems, Man, yeah Visiting New york and using the subways.
Speaker 2: AWESOME i want to go ahead and flag here we mentioned about what The bronx was like when this film was. Made The bronx is totally different. Now so do not base anything in this. Film assume that anything in this film represents the current state of. Things The bronx has come a long way since. Then it has some rather lovely places to. Visit you will not find the same world if you go there.
Speaker 3: Today so we cut from the escape on the bridge to an executive office suite where this guy who earlier we were, saying we're going to assume this Is anne's, Father Samuel. Fisher maybe at least ten to fifteen percent chance it's not actually her, father because there is a scene later where it's like somebody on the phone is chewing him, out saying he needs to find, her and she doesn't make sense if she's his. Daughter but in every other scene it acts like she's his, Daughter SO i think it's his.
Speaker 2: Daughter, YEAH i get the feeling that maybe a scene was cut or something didn't make it over into the.
Speaker 3: Dub it's hard to. Say so he's getting the news that his daughter has run away from home to become a crime, queen and he's grilling his. Subordinates this is WHERE i think the guy he's grilling is the director of the. Movie In Zo. Castelari it's, like how could she just? Disappear what happened to her security? Detail they don't know what, happened but she's, gone and her father is, like damn, it this is all we. Needed, oh sorry to inconvenience you. Dad. Oh he also, says our hands are tied until we get her back. Here so this is the first hint of something that will develop later that, like it's not just that her father loves her and wants her back in the, family it's that she is crucial for some developing piece of. Business And, fisher by the, way is going to be ticked off in every scene he's. In he's always just. Mad is like a spit in his mustache because he's just. Frothing he's mad that his daughter ran. Away this is very bad for business. Reasons and then he stews for a, minute and then he gets the bride idea hey Contact hammer and the second the number two guys Like, hammer isn't he a bit? Risky And fisher shrugs and, says we've got little. Choice and then we cut to an intertitle that tells us the setup of the. Movie it, says nineteen ninety The bronx is officially declared no man's. Land the authorities give up all attempts to restore law and. Order from then, on this area is ruled by the.
Speaker 2: Writers AND i kept hearing this as the writers, too it's listening to, it SO i was like, imagining partially, Imagining like what if The Writer's guild Of America east is running the post Apocalyptic, bronx you, know the note they're, writing the writing they're not.
Speaker 3: Writing one can only. Imagine BUT i think this is also funny because this is not true within the. Story aren't The tigers presented as the actual dominant gang in The bronx and The writers are sort of a secondary contender.
Speaker 2: Gang, YEAH i, mean maybe things have shift, recently shifted, recently and this just doesn't the intel does not reflect the current state of play on the. Ground but, yeah The tigers are the dominant gang And ogre is the self proclaimed king of The.
Speaker 3: Bronx, yeah. Exactly SO i don't know that's. CONFUSING i think that literally whoever wrote that maybe was not familiar enough with the rest of the plot of the. Movie somewhere in The, bronx we cut back in And anne is still running as she ran all the way to The bronx in these boots with, heels and now she's running down a, long, empty desolate. Tunnel her footfalls echo in the, night and then we see figures crossing in the. Foreground it was, like, oh is it. Vampires is it Where we'll, no it's even. Worse it is, zombies not literal, zombies not the mutant. Zombies this is a street gang called The, zombies which are basically again guys who play roller. Hockey they've got white, helmets hook shaped hockey, sticks kind of a military police in hockey pads look roller skates and these v shaped shoulder. Pads and The zombies Ambush anne at the end of this tunnel and corner. Her she screams and tries to, run but they surround her and they're hooting and yapping and shaking their hockey sticks at. Her it seems like maybe they're mistaking her for a. Puck but then something. Changes while they're standing, there menacing her on a dark wall of the tunnel's, edge we, see first faintly and then with growing, intensity an illuminated. Skull what does that, Mean, well it is the calling card of another, gang The. Riders so The, riders they're on motorcycles and they have bright plastic light up skulls mounted on the handlebars of their, motorcycles just above the. HEADLAMP i love this. DETAIL i love the kind of psychedelic biker. LOOK i, mean we will see this take into much more extravagant extremes in movies Like. Mandy BUT i do like cyclomania or. Psychomania, yeah but pushing the biker esthetic beyond just the, gritty, grimy tough guy look and into the weird ethereal, otherworldly that's a that's a good move in my.
Speaker 2: Book, Yeah riders on the, storm so we're.
Speaker 3: Gonna See we're going to see these see this many times in the movie that The. Skulls it's spooky and cheesy at the same. Time and the gang comes roaring up on their. Bikes The skulls are glowing and they're ready for, action and when the zombies see them they call out with. Fear it's, like oh, no The. Riders so you get the feeling that The riders are maybe a, tougher badder gang than the. Zombies the leader of The rider pack dismounts his bike and he raises a, weapon which is a short metal baton tipped at the end with a. Spike so is this a? Club is this a short? Spear it's sort of, both and it is our hero's signature.
Speaker 2: Weapon, yeah lovingly imagined. Here this is a film that takes its weapon fetishization pretty. Seriously so these are a lot of.
Speaker 3: Fun so this Is trash our, hero and he is a lot to take. In he's wearing tight blue, jeans a black leather vest with a very deep v cut going almost down to his belly, button and no shirt, underneath so his outfit was made to show like seventy five percent of his. Chest he has a metal bead choker necklace and long feathered glam rock. Hair trash and several of his buddies get off their bikes and they approach the. Zombies they've got their clubs out and the zombies are, intimidated but they hold their, ground so a fight breaks. Out it's a punch up in the.
Speaker 2: Tunnel, yeah and the fight sequence here is pretty. Fun it's pretty. Wild you would never confuse it For Hong kong action or anything like. THAT i think the hits are not particularly. Snug there's maybe less a sense of like connection on these, hits but it's still a lot of. Fun it's like it, again it's maybe a little more it feels a little more stage, combat but it still tells a nice.
Speaker 3: STORY i actually liked the fights in this movie pretty. Good it's not the most technical fight choreography in the, world like you, said at least until we get To Fred. WILLIAMSON i noticed his fighting was extremely.
Speaker 2: Crisp, Yeah AND i don't know if that was just like maybe a tighter, choreography or Like Fred williamson And George eastman were just like really slugging each, other because that's always a. Possibility you heard that from pro wrestlers where they're people are talking about all. Man you, KNOW i Admired Terry funk's punches growing, up and THEN i got in the ring with him and realized that his punches look so good because he was just actually punching. People oh, NO i, mean you, know in a in an okay way for the time. Period but but, yeah it's like one way to make it look good is to actually. CONNECT i, guess, WELL i hope that's not what's going on, There but GENERALLY i think that's not what you're going for in the in the film. World BUT i don't, know maybe they worked a little.
Speaker 3: Stuff who. Knows. Well one THING i did like about the fights in this movie is that usually you can follow, them so they are not the blurry flurry you, know like a lot of movies do where the fight scene descends into just kind of close ups of limbs, flailing and you're not getting a sense of moments or. Drama these fight scenes do have moments in, drama you have a chance to notice which character is, fighting you follow little moments in the. Exchange and SO i actually enjoyed the fight scenes here a good bit more than your average movie punch. Up, ALSO i liked how sometimes the characters express their personality in the ways they, Fight like did you notice That trash is very cocky and, Fearless like he kind of he sticks his chest out and gives off this energy of LIKE i don't even care if you hit. Me you, know death is. EVERYTHING i don't. Care whereas the Character, hans the guy in THE ss, jacket he fights in a way that looks much more careful and strategic and.
Speaker 2: Vicious yeah, yeah he doesn't more vicious. Style that's a good. Point and in the factions in general also have different fighting, vibes LIKE i would say that the zombies have more of a feeling of like like a war. Cult they seem like a like a highly, trained organized group of, combatants whereas you, Know trashes bunch the, riders they are more and they're more like individualistic, fightings individualistic, fighters they're more LIKE i guess warriors versus soldiers to make that, distinction whereas the zombies are more.
Speaker 3: Soldiers, YEAH i think that's. Right. Yeah so at one point in this, fight the zombies are mostly, beaten and then a few of them start running, away and then one of the riders gets on his bike chases them. DOWN i think this is the writer Named, blade and at the last minute he extends These James bond murder gadgets on his, bike so there are these horizontal knives that stick out the side of the, motorcycle and he rides between the zombies and first slashes their achilles, tendons and then he rides back the other way after they fall and slashes their. Throat it's pretty.
Speaker 2: BRUTAL i want to say one more thing about the action here THAT i think sets it apart from other films you might, see or certainly lesser. Films so there's sometimes you'll have even good fight, choreography but the director will just shoot everything like wide and just like let the fight play. Out whereas this film does have. Edited it's edited and shot in a way to really highlight these key moments within the, fight and we see that just throughout the fight sequences in the.
Speaker 3: Picture, YEAH i agree with. That, yeah just good. Editing so in the middle of the, fight there is a moment where we zoom in On. Ann she's still. There she's kind of like she's Watching trash While trash is whacking one of the zombies with his, Club and suddenly the sound kind of fades out and the action goes into slow motion and we See trash's muscles flexing and his, long sweaty hair billowing while he, Fights AND i legitimately thought for a second it was going to start playing the beginning Of Good. Vibrations, instead it does play, music but it's these like dissonance swirling chords on the. Keyboard it kind of sounds like that music From dawn of The, dead you, know the woo kind of. Thing, anyway it is clear That anne has been hypnotized by the aura of this beautiful motorcycle crime. Boy he is gorgeous and she is in.
Speaker 2: Love this had to have BEEN i, guess her, plan or it's the. Plan now escape to The, bronx fall in love with a powerful but handsome and lovable. Warlord, yeah it seems to be working out so.
Speaker 3: Far also in this, fight we See trash deploy his elbow. Spike so he wears this set of elbow, pads which you might think would look little. DORKY i don't, know could people sell elbow pads OR i remember feeling dorky WHEN i wore them as a.
Speaker 2: Kid, well you just didn't have spikes coming out of.
Speaker 3: HIM i guess she would.
Speaker 2: Have it would have been more you would have felt more self assured had spikes.
Speaker 3: Maybe so his elbow pads have. SPIKES i don't know if he has them on both arms or just. One but he's got a spike at the end of the, club a spike on his. Elbow he's got spikes all, over and so he stabs with the elbow and kills one of the zombies that. Way after the, Fight trash Approaches, anne who is cowering on the ground and kind of in an alcove in the, tunnel and he speaks to. Her he's got the bloody spike club pointed at. Her he, says where do you come? From she, Says. Manhattan he, says want me to take you back? There, Oh, okay that's a nice. GESTION i like that as.
Speaker 2: Well you, know it's it's you, know he establishes. Himself trash is a. Gentleman, yeah and he's, like all, Right i'll take you back if you.
Speaker 3: Want but she's.
Speaker 2: Like what she says next is, NO i don't want to go.
Speaker 3: Back, no she, says. No he, says you, know this is The.
Speaker 2: BRONX i think there's been a, mistake. Ma'am you are currently in The.
Speaker 3: Bronx, yeah she. Says she, SAYS i KNOW i came. Here this is a. QUOTE i KNOW i came here. Purposely anywhere away from, them it's, Better trash. Says but nothing is worse than this hell. Hole she, says that's what you. Think so he averts his, Spike he offers his, Hand she takes, it and it's you, know it's boy meets girl in a tunnel in The, bronx covered in, blood and it's. Beautiful like she's trying to escape the global heavy arms. Industry he's just trying to control his territory and you, know continually find batteries for his bike. Skull it's a match made in.
Speaker 2: Heaven, YEAH i noticed some of those bike skull batteries do run. Out later, on we see the riders out and about and one guy's skull isn't lit, up And i'm, like come, on, yeah come, on.
Speaker 3: They budget yeah ran. Dry, yeah where's where's your? Batteries but from here she's, actually it, seems just going to join the. Gang so Now anne is one of the, riders as she is going to Be trash's motorcycle impress and one of the, gang and she rides around on a bike of her own and a kind of she looks a little bit less scruffy than all of the other, bikers but has a more scruffy outfit than her starting outfit is kind of somewhere in.
Speaker 2: Between, yeah, yeah so she's, yeah she's one of. Them there's no this is not a film where we're going to deal with the transitional. Stage here she is fully on.
Speaker 3: Board so after, this some time, passes and then we come to a scene that we've actually talked about On stuff To blow Your mind, before not on A Weird House cinema. Episode we're about to talk about a scene that came up in a listener mail episode because a listener wrote in about. It do you remember this role WELL i forgot about. This. Okay so this is the scene of the meeting at the water's edge between The riders and The, tigers and there is very little real constraint in the. Scene it's almost like a music. Video so we're out at the edge of some broken docks and we see a city skyline across the. Water once, Again i'm not A New york expert, here but it really seems like we're looking From brooklyn Into, Manhattan, like isn't it The Brooklyn bridge we're looking at in this? Scene, yeah so it's supposed to be The, bronx but then begins a drum. Solo so there's just a guy in the middle of this dusty empty lot playing a drum kit with this, hot fast. Beat there's a lot of high hat in, it and he will keep playing the drums as this scene goes. ON i love this. Choice it's never explained in the, movie but it blurs the line between diegetic and non diegetic, music like there is no in world reason for him to be there in the, scene so it feels like pure, soundtrack but also we see, him so it's not just pure.
Speaker 2: Soundtrack, yeah this MIGHT i can't RECALL i don't remember the listener mail that came in about, this so perhaps that discusses, this but it's my, understanding like this guy was just there playing the drums when they came to. Shoot really, yeah SO i think they were just they just rolled with. It they're, like this guy's, great let's just getting there shoot the.
Speaker 3: Saint. Whoa, yeah unbelievable if that's. True.
Speaker 2: Wow, YEAH i don't, Know LIKE i, Say i'm half remembering, that and you, know it could just be part.
Speaker 3: Of the myth making of the of the. Film i'm not, sure but it's. True. Amazing, well, anyway in the, scene we zoom in on a dead body impaled on a wooden stake beside the. Docks so this dead body is in rider's. Gear it seems he was one of the. Gang and we're going to find out that this guy was Named.
Speaker 2: Chris, yeah and he's. Dead he's truly, dead very.
Speaker 3: Fully very. Dead. Yeah so the riders, arrive they room up on mass into the, lot they park their bikes and they stare at this dead body in front of, them and we see now that and this part of the. Gang she's got her own bike and. Everything and this scene let's you zoom in on a lot of the the gang, textures so we see, tattoos, cuts leather with metal, studs one guy with a prosthetic hook arm revving his bike with the hook, beards, sunglasses. Bandanas you do see More nazi insignia, here like some, swastikas but other just weird assortments of imagery and insignias of other, kinds, skulls all that kind of. Stuff one guy has a nude pin up painted onto his. Bike Eventually trash gets off his bike goes over to investigate the body while the drums keep the tension very. High and then While trash is staring at his dead, warrior another gang enters the, picture The. Tigers they arrive in, force and they are very different, gang driving fancy classic. Cars you've got a mix of like flame painted Hot rods and then old older luxury cars Like Rolls.
Speaker 2: Royces, yeah so probably a little there's a little bit Of Mad max to this in.
Speaker 3: This, part, yeah but also elements of it's Like Mad max meets like Jazz. Club so you've got these guys in cool retro suits with wide. Collars some of them are wearing fedoras with like feathers in the band and. Stuff and as the cars pull, up a lot of the cars have guys just hanging off the side of the, car standing on the runner boards while they. Drive that's not, safe so one of the.
Speaker 2: Laws though there are no rules in The bronx. Anymore you can just whatever you, want.
Speaker 3: Ride on the runner, boards nothing to stop. You so one of The tiger lieutenants is this guy dressed like a matred in a burgundy jacket with a bow tie and ultimate warrior face. Paint this is the guy Named. LEECH i think uh And trash walks up To leech and says he's gonna have to talk to The, ogre, who by the, way MY i think auto generated subtitles kept Calling yoga because people are saying The ogre with The New york, accents saying, LIKE i need to talk to The.
Speaker 2: Ogre you go to The, ogre tek me to The ogre.
Speaker 3: Studio, yeah. Exactly he needs to talk to The, ogre the king of The. Tigers so but first he talks to The matre d and that guy tells him The ogre is mad and that The ogre did Kill chris the Dead rider. Here but he gave his body back as a gesture of brotherly, love only the heart is, missing and he says he ate.
Speaker 2: It it's a wonderful character building that we're not going to early see represented In ogre as we come to know. Him that he doesn't come off as a heart eating cannibal by any.
Speaker 3: Not in the least. Bit it almost feels like they the writer was still fleshing out this character and while writing the scene kind of change directions mid, scene but didn't go back and change the earlier.
Speaker 2: Dialogue it almost makes me feel Like ogre was originally going to be played By George, eastman because, Oh George eastman has more of like a Towering.
Speaker 3: Ogre feel to.
Speaker 2: Him, Christine, CERTAINLY i can imagine him outing down on a human heart and a picture like, This SO i have nothing to base that on other than my own sort of gut instinct Concerning georgie's.
Speaker 3: Rolls that is an interesting, THEORY i can see. That. Yeah, Anyway So trash walks over To ogre's car Where ogre is chilling with which which again Is Elizabeta, dessi And ogre Is Fred, williamson which is another one Of ogre's. Lieutenants she in this scene is like she's dulled up in a black sequin dressed with a feather. Boa later we're going to see her decked out more for battle with like the metal talons and the. Whip but when she gets out of the, car she Greets trash with kind of a look up and down and a long. Time, no see is the delivery. There i'mplying that they once had a. RELATIONSHIP i think so maybe she was his. Babysitter, yea, YEAH i think she is significantly older than. Him, yeah, anyway there is time for a parlay here Between trash and So ogre. Says, first he, Says leech is a blood. Freak if it was up to, him he'd turned The bronx into a. Cemetery, Okay AND i guess this is just. Amusing the real info in the scene is That ogre Killed chris Because chris was trespassing On tiger. Territory this is a violation of their. Treaty each gang sticks to their own territory in The. Bronx, Also ogre, says you, know, REALLY i was doing you a favor because quote the sucker was carrying a, gizmo a, gizmo and then he hands over a wristwatch and he says its wavelength is the same as that of The Manhattan. Police that's the wrong kind of. Gizmo And ogre, says IF i were, You, Trash i'd be worried to find one of my own men carrying a. Gizmo now they know exactly where we're, Based we're in for a few. Surprises i'd be on the, Lookout. Trash so he's worried that the cops now know where they. Are BUT i thought the cops did know where they. Were the cops just don't care about The bronx, anymore, Right like the whole point is the police have given up on The bronx and they surrendered it to the.
Speaker 2: Gangs, yeah that's my understanding as. WELL i guess If i'm being, generous then perhaps the situation is that the police are hands off with The, bronx but they keep an eye on, it and if one warlord becomes like too, powerful then they might have to interfere and maybe engage in a little a little espionage and so, forth in order to make sure that the gangs remain at each other's throat and they don't, become, say all united under one king of The. Bronx that would be dangerous because then what comes next the conquest of the Other.
Speaker 3: Burroughs that's, right, yeah can you dig?
Speaker 2: It?
Speaker 3: Yeah so with, this The tigers return to their. Vehicles they drive, away and once the riders are left, Alone trash takes the gizmo to his right Hand Manned ice. Again. Ice ice is the guy who. Sucks this is the trader in The nazi. Jacket is also sometimes Called. Hans he's Called hans and THE IMDb credit listing for the for the, film AND i think you may have referred to him As hans. Earlier Hans, ice same. Guy, okay why DID i call Him? Hans maybe did you have him As Hans.
Speaker 2: Hans, earlier because that's how he's listed On. IMDb but then WHEN i was watching the, films, like they're only calling this Guy, ice SO i switched it over And ice is more in keeping with Hot.
Speaker 3: Dog so, yeah all the TIMES i remember they call Him, ICE i THINK i may have Said hans in the notes, somewhere because you Had hans in the. Outline, Yeah i'm, Sorry i'm not trying to blame.
Speaker 2: You, no, no, no but, yeah that's that's probably the. Reason, Yeah, ice he's in there hanging out With Tater, tot Hot dog And Sour, kraut the whole.
Speaker 3: Gang but to, reaffirm, Yeah ice. Sucks ice is the bad guy, here but he he is going to see this spy. Device he's like. Noncommittal he's not going to confirm Was chris a trader or. Not Maybe over is lying to, them then they'll they'll find out. Later so throughout we get some kind of control room scenes where you have the director of the movie barking orders at people working radios and. Stuff we also occasionally pop in with cops who are flying over The bronx in helicopters or patrolling the streets in armored. Trucks it seems like maybe they didn't quite abandon it. Totally this might just be because of the MISSING ceo, daughter but they're getting back into the mix here in The, bronx and these cops are not cool headed public. Servants there is No Officer Alex murphy among. Them they seem to be interchangeable with corporate security. Services so they're doing the bidding Of fisher and his, minions and their attitude is just straightforward fascist. Thuggery they constantly express the desire to burn The bronx to the ground and clean out the vermin and that sort of. Thing, meanwhile the writers are debating what happened With. Chris ice is arguing that it's a. Setup he thinks Actually ogre is the real villain, here and he Thinks ogre is using this story to keep them distracted while he makes. Moves but in the, Background, blade who we saw earlier in the fight, scene is another one Of trash's loyal. Soldiers he. Disagrees he Thinks ogre is telling the truth That chris was a. Trader this is a real gizmo and, he you, know he's just sort of different To. Trash Ice Mock's, blade And ice, says what we need to do is go to war with The. Tigers we got to straighten them out once and for. All, also this conversation has the first invocation of Hot. Dog ice says The ogre and Hot, DOG i wouldn't be surprised if it was them that Sold chris the gizmo in the first. Place AND i think it's time we got Even, yeah what a, sentence As i'm still even on second, VIEWING i was still trying to figure Out Hot.
Speaker 2: Dog, yeah, like why do we need another care BECAUSE i think it should be clear at this, Point like the plot is almost overly complex, here like the films that it clearly, inspired this, movie you, know are not simple in their, structure BUT i feel like they are a lot more, streamlined and we have we have just a number of factions here and a number of. Individuals the politics are are kind of Like game Of thrones level, already and they don't really need to be for a movie like.
Speaker 3: This in this, Scene anne has another. Idea she, says, uh MAYBE i was the One chris was spying. On since it's, like you, know the largest corporation in the world which controls the cops is looking for. Me you think the gang would be, like, oh that makes, sense but instead they're, like, eh maybe who.
Speaker 2: Knows these these these gangs are just like it's all about. Them they just think they're the center of the.
Speaker 3: Universe so there are more scenes, where, uh we See fisher running around like taking phone calls and he'll, say, like It's, Fisher i'm In. Manhattan she's always In. Manhattan where else would you. Be there are scenes of this developing romance Between trash And. Ann he's, like are you missing a boyfriend back In? Manhattan do you want to go back? There and she's, like, NO i love only you and the. Gang it's the first Time i've ever really felt THAT i. Belong she, says this is a quote. QUOTE i feel safe with, You. Trash don't you ever let them take me away from?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 3: Yeah and this is said in a flophouse room with just infinite layers of graffiti on the.
Speaker 2: Walls, yeah but they, have you, Know Coca cola And Jack daniels and Possibly half And, half so they're.
Speaker 3: Good. Yeah there's an action scene later where the writers mess with an armored police truck so they like lead it on a merry chase and they spray painted cussword on the windshield while the truck is still in. MOTION i like that. Party, meanwhile we finally get to Meet Vic morrow As. Hammer so he comes into frame on, foot wandering the streets of The bronx with a tube shaped, package like he's delivering a poster in a post. Tube what do you think secretly inside? There Funk base plays while he. Walks he's got a trucker hat aviator, sunglasses an open windbreaker, jacket just very classic bounty hunter. Look just a stone cold. Killer. Yeah So hammer locates and strolls into the writer's, hideout which is a ruined building with graffiti. Everywhere there are a couple of lookouts on the, stairs a man and a woman who are making out When hammer, enters and when they See hammer coming past the past the staircase, landing the mail writer stands up and he pulls out a, switchblade and he gives this great. Line he, says go another step and you're. Dead try to run away and you're. Dead stay right where you. Are you're, dead, too horrible negotiation.
Speaker 2: Tactic you're just. Giving you're giving the other guy no options.
Speaker 3: Here, Right But hammer is too. Deadly he turns and reveals that his tube shaped package is not a. Poster it's not a poster Of Jim. Morrison it's a hidden, shotgun and he blasts the man with the, knife and then in a super cold, move he shoots the woman on the stairs, too who she has not moved or made any. Threats so we instantly learn, like oh whoa? Okay hammer does not care for human. Life one bit death is cheap to.
Speaker 2: HIM i liked how when he fires off the first, shot he fires it, well it's still in the tube as. Well he has like a secret little trapdoor on the side of the tube and he's firing the shotgun before it's fully.
Speaker 3: Revealed, yeah and then as a red, Herring hammer DROPS i believe a gold ring of The Tigers gang on the dead. Bodies so, anyway the gunfire alerts all of the riders, inside and this leads into this tense scene Where hammer fights through the, hideout shooting and then disappearing and they're chasing him. Around trash shows some bravado in this, fight just standing in the middle of the halls instead of instead of taking. Cover AS i said, earlier in a lot of the scenes with, Violence trash just shows uttered disregard for his own, safeties just like does not even appear to be making an effort to, survive except in like fighting and dealing blows. Back so Eventually hammer flees out a window and jumps in a big. Truck it's like A, neon, yellow green and black semi trailer truck without a. Trailer takes off down the road and the riders, follow and then there's a clever little escape moment where the truck slows down And Vic marrow jumps out of the truck onto an elevated train, platform and then the truck keeps. Going the riders keep chasing the truck once they finally catch up to. It is there anyone? Inside why there? Is and it's Hot, dog Hot?
Speaker 2: Dog all, right we'll finally get to figure out what Hot dog's all? About what's the all? About will we really?
Speaker 3: Know so they're, like, oh it's Hot, dog of, course And ice is immediately mad at Hot. Dog ice accuses him of trying to help the guy who attacked them, escape which does seem to be what. Happened Hot dog And ice trade insults and threats back and. Forth Hot dog has a prosthetic, leg And ice keeps threatening to shove it in certain. Places trash searches Hot dog's, cab doesn't find. Anything trash asks, him did you sell that gizmo To? Chris Hot dog, says, like you're gonna ask me questions about a? GIZMO i don't even know what a gizmo. Is back at the, base the writers have a kind Of viking funeral for the two riders who are killed in the. Stairwell they burn them on a giant funeral pyre and the riders each get a fistful of the ashes to ride out to The East river and throw the ashes, in THOUGH i would note that we see them do this and most of the ashes do not make it to the. Water they just kind of blow back in the rider's faces Big lebowski. Style also during the funeral, scene ultra dramatic choral. MUSIC i don't know what this music, is but for the emotional tone they, Like Oh fortuna is just incredibly dramatic kind of.
Speaker 2: Thing, yeah it really reminded me of that as. Well, yeah, yeah very.
Speaker 3: Intense. Yeah anne blames herself for what. Happened she says it never would have happened if she didn't come, here But trash tells her it's The. Bronx worse things happen every. Day. Now there are more scenes of scheming between the bad. Guys we get these phone calls Between fisher And hammer Where fisher's, like work, faster what AM i paying you for that kind of? Thing Meanwhile hammer is, LIKE i don't care about. Anything fire me if you, WANT i don't, care And fisher keeps him on the, job he explains to his toady That hammer is a better option than sending a special squad because they can't have any negative. Publicity he, says it can only Be. Hammer he was born in The, bronx he's one of. Them and then the vice President guy's, like but he has his own acts to grind and he's a killer at, Heart and Then fisher says he's just an hoole who thinks He's, god to which the vice president, REPLIES i hope you're.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah this sounds like the perfect guy to hire when you cannot have any bad publicity at. All let's just hire an absolute. PSYCHOPATH i really hope this guy we hired his delusions of grandeur that will get in the way of him being able to perform his task.
Speaker 3: Effectively that'll never happen. Anyway anne is feeling guilty about causing the deaths of her gang. Mates they were Named sandy And, speedy by the, Way so what speedy sounds like an insulting name for a motorcycle gang. Member don't it sound like you're mocking him or? Something?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah why didn't this guy get a good name like?
Speaker 3: Trash so she rides off on a motorcycle on her. Own she goes to the beach to. Brood, meanwhile back at gang, headquarters a debate breaks. Out so they find The tiger's ring on the, bodies And ice is, like, LOOK i told, you told, you this is evidence from my previous. Argument The tigers are making moves against. Us we got to bring war to the. Tigers And ice gets everybody in the gang chanting like, yeah, war kill, them, all kill. Them But trash is the voice of reason. Here he's, like, look we don't know what was the. Tigers this could be a trick trying to get us to do exactly what you're doing. Now And, blade the trusty, sideman he sides With. Trash he's, like you, Know he's, like, yeah let's let's let's take more time to figure out what's really going. On but basically everybody seems to be On ICE's, side itching for, war so you, Know trash could have a mutiny on his hands. Here the scene also has some lines we probably shouldn't quote on unless we want to get the podcast. Flagged but it's, some as you said in a text to, Me, rob great moments and. Cussing it's so. Good oh, yeah we.
Speaker 2: CAN'T i guess we can't say, it but it's it's pretty incredible laugh out loud.
Speaker 3: Moment. Yeah So trash finds, that he goes and he Finds anne on the. Beach he rides out to be with her and they have an emotional heart to. Heart this scene is also. Unintentionally ann says she Loves, trash but she can't stay because she knows she's the cause of these killings and if she, stays more people will. Die trash has a very philosophical response to. This he, SAYS i wrote this. Down he, says. Nonsense we were born. Dead life means. Nothing we live with death every single. Day death walks with, Us death rides and sleeps with. Us we carry its smell onto our. Skins so don't go blame in.
Speaker 2: Yourself stop stop making so much, Sense.
Speaker 3: Trash. Yeah anne explains that when she comes of, age she will have to. Inherit the throne of The Manhattan, corporation which wrote this down also quote controls over sixty percent of the world's arms, production which Means i'd be a mere puppet on a, string manipulated by, greedy power crazed. Hands they're, Unscrupulous, trash AND i don't want any part in. It yet without, me they're. Powerless, okay so now you understand why they'll act at any, cost use any means to get their filthy hands on. Me, No, trash these killings were not a. Coincidence, GOD i was trying to. Understand why would they be powerless without?
Speaker 2: HER i, mean it seems like it would at most be a temporary, scenario, Right, like at some point there has to be some sort of a plan that kicks in if the Air apparent refuses to take the throne or is declared dead or is killed by cannibals underneath the, Bronx like something has to happen, next unless IT'S i, guess set up to where like the corporation just you, know comes apart at the seams.
Speaker 3: And there it's in their bylaws that if they don't have like a hereditary air to assume the throne at a certain, time the corporation just.
Speaker 2: Dissolves, YEAH i. Guess so that's the BEST i can imagine.
Speaker 3: Here, Anyway so he, Is so she gives that, speech And trash, says if this is, true you'd be running right back into their. Arms she, SAYS i, know but better that than seeing you. Killed and Then trash hair blowing in the. Sea breeze, says at least dying for you would give my life a. Meaning and so they ride off. Together, however on the way, back when riding through a, TUNNEL i think the same tunnel where they had the fight scene.
Speaker 2: Earlier, yeah it would be the room sound stage, Interior.
Speaker 3: Trash And anne are ambushed by. Zombies not the, zombies but the zombies the roller hockey. Players trash is trapped in a net and knocked, unconscious And anne is kidnapped back to the zombies headquarters the roller hockey.
Speaker 2: Dojo all, right so everything is thrown in. Disarray our lovers are. Separated what's going to?
Speaker 3: Happen so there is a scene Between hammer and Hot. Dog Hot dog Helped hammer because he owed him a, favor but he doesn't want to get caught up in a gang. War and we learned that the girl is. Important hammer explains she's going to be the future president of The Manhattan. Corporation he's, like you gotta help. Me Hot dog, says how much are you gonna pay? Me hammer, says don't talk to me that. Way don't talk to me that way, ever and then Later hammer says that Hot dog needs to set up a meeting between himself Between hammer And. Ice Hot dog, says, ooh but be. Careful ice is. Ambitious you, know he wants to take over the. Gang he wants to Usurp, trash And hammer says. Exactly Hot dog, says you're playing with. Fire hammer, SAYS i, know AND i love. IT i love.
Speaker 2: It And Vic morro is so. Good you believe it like you believe this line that would just be a throwaway villain line from most. Actors that he believes. It he really believes.
Speaker 3: It So ice is still pushing for. War when we hook back up at The, gang he, say and we've got to attack the. Tigers First blade responds by, saying you've got to be. Kidding you've got your gray matter in your. Butt in the middle of this, Argument trash rides up and reports That anne has been, kidnapped And ice And trash have a disagreement over how to react to. This ice, says let's go to war against the. Tigers, oh brilliant. Ideas like, Furthermore carthage must be. Destroyed there every single scene Is ice is just we got to go to war against The. Tigers trash, Says, No, Instead i'm going to go talk to The. Ogre i'm gonna find out what's really happening and see if we can work together to Save ann from The zombies and from The Manhattan. Corporation But ice, says how are you going to get To Ogre because you'd have to go through the territories of The, jackals The, scavengers The. Sharks you'd have to make it all the way back To Coney island in one. Night, yeah that's a whole movie right. There it is the plot of The warriors condensed into The, bronx except we're not going to see most of these gang there's only a couple of.
Speaker 2: Them, YEAH i can only imagine what who The jackals?
Speaker 3: Were The. Sharks, Yeah So trash decides to take a team with, him and he leaves his trusty Friend blade behind to keep an eye On. Ice so let's. See we get a scene at the zombies headquarters Where ann Meets, golum the head of The. Zombies this Is George, Eastman, rob you have comments on this place sort of a training. Gym, YEAH i love.
Speaker 2: This they're constantly engaging in kind of it's very, colorful very theatrical terrorist. Training so there's a lot like hustling around mostly on roller skates and, yeah it's just a circus fun. House it's pretty. Great, again love the bright. Colors love this this makeover For George eastman where he also he also kind of looks like he's taking a break from being like a mocap villain on A Mortal kombat. Game you, know he's got something about the costume, Here.
Speaker 3: Yeah the spread, out like THE v shaped pads and the shoulders it. Does it looks like like a red version of like The scorpion sub zero suit In Mortal. Kombat, yeah except without a without a head. Covering. Yeah so this place, ALSO i, like has tire swings, inside but this very painted.
Speaker 2: White. YEAH i think that it has that sort of like terrorist training on a playground feel to, it where it feels like like it's a set From bozo The, clown except you have all these these heartless soldiers that are training their their conquest exercises.
Speaker 3: Here. Yeah it is a mix between like The Specter kill training grounds in A James bond movie and like A Dz discovery. Zone also they've Got anne chained up in the middle of the, gymnasium just right in the middle where everybody's running around on skates around. Her So trash and his cycle notts are now traveling through the different gang. Territories my favorite gang again or the top hat ballet mimes and the kiss. Makeup we run into them in some room with all these. COLUMNS i think these are called The Iron. Men but they're about to have to fight with all these. Guys but Then, trash their, leader comes, out who is a woman in a gold top hat and a gold, suit And trash flirts with, her and after some kind of light threats back and, forth she actually she reveals she likes. Him she lets them pass through. Unharmed she, says you're, Lucky. Trash you, See i've got a soft spot in my heart for. You And trash, says and they, say you've got an iron.
Speaker 2: Heart, ah there you. Go that's where the iron in comes. From, yeah, YEAH i love this. FACTION i like to think that they're all Like broadway musical exiles who have been like you, know they have had a fleet to The, bronx AND i love. That, hey we didn't have to solve this one with. Violence this one was more of a charisma saving throat sort of, thing so they're able to keep moving.
Speaker 3: Now in the, meantime here there is some scheming Between hammer And. Ice ice Betrays trash so that he can take over the. Gang blade snoops on this, meeting by the way he sees them making a, deal But ice Gives hammer a spike club just Like trash's signature, weapons so this is gonna be perfect for a frame up. Later and Then blade runs After trash to warn, him but he gets caught by The. Scavengers so this is another sequence of the gang territory The trash and his men must pass. Through they got to go through The scavenger's, ground which is like a DUSTY i want to say, sewer but it's not. Wet it's like a, dusty dry underground sewer underground passageways and, catacombs and there are these mutant kind of dudes down there wearing rags with like white dusty faces and just dust coming off of them and dangling, bandages almost like they're kind of mummies or. SOMETHING i don't know what these guys are, exactly BUT i assume there's some kind of mutants or something in the.
Speaker 2: Sewers, yeah, yeah just some sort of mutant, creatures mutated. Humans, yeah they don't seem to really have care. Characters they're just.
Speaker 3: Hostile but eventually we come into the third, act which is when we hook back up with the tigers and With ogre And. Witch so when we first Meet ogre, again he's like going through all of these shipments THAT i think are going to be distributed to the neighborhoods in The. Bronx so this is your classic gang leader who is showing his large ass to the, people you, know making making friends of the people by giving gifts to, THEM i. Believe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah and again he sees himself as the king of The, bronx and apparently to some, degree takes it seriously and is bestowing goods and gifts upon.
Speaker 3: Them so he's hanging out in his big pleasure, dome you, know with all of his. FRIENDS i think they actually have a tiger in. There, yeah and they've got music and it's just cool people lounging about And ogre and which and So trash is trying to sneak into this place to talk To. Ogre but, unfortunately while he is sneaking. IN i feel like he shouldn't have snuck. In he should just kind of like go hands up and be like, OPENLY i want to talk To. Ogre the sneaking in kind of gets him in trouble because while he's sneaking, in he gets caught by one member of The, tigers and Then hammer is. There by the, way did you note How hammer just straight up has teleportation powers in this. Movie he never seems to take him any time to get between. Places he's just instantly wherever the plot needs him to be at any given.
Speaker 2: Time, yeah he's like the. Devil he just pops up As nata.
Speaker 3: Or Like Jason, vorhees he's how did he get in front of? Us but he in this, case he just appears behind this guy and throws a spike club into the guy's back and Frames trash for the. Murder so he's trying to Get ogre to Kill trash so that he can Make hans The king of The riders and he can Get anne back to take her back to The Manhattan. Corporation so it looks like that's gonna happen for a. While but THEN i, think sort of which stands up For, trash. Doesn't she kind of vouches for him To, ogre And ogre eventually ends up Believing. Trash now do you remember exactly what it is that kind of Gets ogre On trash's? SIDE i do.
Speaker 2: Not, yeah at this point in the, movie it. Does things begin to sort of like everything's kind of lining up and you can kind of see where things are. Going but, yeah whatever doubt was there is swiftly, erased and it becomes clear that there's gonna be a there's gonna be An Ogre trash team up. Here, yes they're going to be a united front against the. Enemies it's a great team.
Speaker 3: Up so Once trash And ogre are on the same, team which comes with them and the three of them head back down into the, sewers Into scavenger Territory, uh and they're going to go to where the zombies are because they find out that the zombies Have ann and they're going to rescue. Her so this leads into some great fight Scenes Ogre witch And uh And hammer or Not hammer, Sorry Ogre witch and fighting the. Mutants LIKE i said, EARLIER i really Enjoy Fred williamson's fight. SCENES i really enjoy witch in the fight scenes as. Well she's got a whip with her and she cracks it on the bad.
Speaker 2: GUYS i think we get an excellent beheading of one of the mutants By ogre here to punctuate this fight.
Speaker 3: Sequence but eventually they make their way to the zombies headquarters where Where ogre Fights. Golum NOW i think they have some kind of history.
Speaker 2: Together oh, yeah surely. SO i don't know that we're really privy to it, all but, yeah these these these two are well aware of each. Other so, yeah we get this wonderful fight Between ogre And, goluin Between Fred williamson And George, eastman which my only complaint is the. Short it's a short. Fight it doesn't take up a lot of screen, time but what you get is. Fun it feels it feels very. Stiff, AGAIN i don't know that these guys were actually punching each. Other i'm just saying. It it feels violent and uh and it ends. Up it ends in a VERY i, thought it's definitely a quality. Kill so we have this great sequence Where golum has a knife and he's coming At ogre with it And ogre like counters and like puts him in a hammer lock holding the knife and then plunges his head through a pane of glass and we get The we cut to the shot outside and seeing his bloody, Face eastman's bloody face coming through the, glass and then again the. Dagger hen still in a hammer. Lock he then Stabs gollum in the, back and so Now golam is dead And ogre is. Victorious pretty.
Speaker 3: Great you can always Tell georgiesman likes to get his face bloodied up in a. Movie, yeah, yeah so, yeah it gets the glass. Cuts but, okay so That's golum Versus. Ogre ogre. Wins we're about to get another big show down Because trash freeze and from her. Chains but then we get a confrontation Between trash And, ice and Now trash learn has learned That ice is a. Trader they have a good confrontation where at First ice tries to talk his way out of, it but then he like pulls a dirty fight. Move he like tries to Surprise trash and hit him with. Something yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Because prior to, that he's, LIKE i did this all for, You, Trash Like i've been setting this up for. You this is to ensure your rule. Man but when that lie, fails he's, Like i'm just gonna kick you with the. Spike, yeah but In trash is too good of a fighter for.
Speaker 3: That that's, Right Trash. WENDSY i think he Throws ice into a pit that's got spikes at the, bottom And ice is impaled on this big on this big spike going through his.
Speaker 2: Guts there's a lot of really good like fall stunts in this, picture people plunging from heights Where i'm like that that looked that looked pretty.
Speaker 3: High, yeah all, right So anne has been, rescued the main bad guys have been. Defeated it seems we Defeated we Defeated ice The, Trader we defeated the bad guy who ran the, zombies and our, Heroes trash And anne An. Ogre they can all go back to The tigers headquarters and just chill, right hang. Out everything things, good but it was not to. Be we get a tragic.
Speaker 2: Ending, yeah that's, right because it is Finally hammer. Time hammer arrives with just an assault, team just, choppers, horses. Flamethrowers hammer at this point is as we alluded to, earlier just like full black. Leather Police CHIEF m bison mode, here just total fascist enforcer murder murder. Cop he is laughing. Monighacally he's no longer this independent contractor bounty, hunter like he is like the the the institution of of of government violence. Itself and this this is just a bonker sequence, Too like there are flamethrower users on. Horseback these guys are on horseback using, flamethrowers which it's.
Speaker 3: Kind of, Ridiculous, yeah kind of.
Speaker 2: Ridiculous but also these flamethrower throwers look really. Nasty it's really Really, yeah it's it's certainly disturbing and, effective and they just start killing.
Speaker 3: Everybody And, hammer by the, way is like standing up in this upper floor while watching all of this carnage In mayhem and just laughing maniacally like ha ha ha, ha, yes all the. Death at one point he, Says hammer Says hammer Is god And god Is.
Speaker 2: Hammer, yeah definitely some delusions of grandeur. Here, yeah so it's it's again you, said it's a tragic ending because in the midst of all this, violence all the characters we, Like, yeah everyone that we like. Dies ogre. Dies, yeah he really gets to milk that death sequence. Though so so that's, good, good good scene, there solid, stuff and then Unfortunately anna dies as, well she's. Shot but in the midst of, this Luckily trash does get to Defeat. Hammer hammer is still on the upper. Floor he like fires a grappling hook into him and pulls him down and he falls to his, death and then he drags him behind his motorcycle through the streets of The. Bronx and, that believe it or, not is the ending to the.
Speaker 3: Movie, yeah the, Hero, trash the only character we like who's still, alive kills the bad guy with a grappling hook and drags his body behind his motorcycle is the ending of the. Movie and by the, Way anne's last line where she's like dying In trash's arms is remember we in The bronx live with.
Speaker 2: DEATH i think he's gonna remember. It, Yeah so you, know at this, point The bronx is like entirely destabilized from all of, This like all the major players except For trash have been. Killed we don't get a sense That trash even wants to take the reins and become like the New king of The bronx or even continue to run the. Riders so, yeah it seems like a pretty bleak ending doesn't leave us a lot of, hope though we might hold out some hope that one Day trash will escape The.
Speaker 3: Bronx is that what we're doing next?
Speaker 2: WEEK i THINK i think we'll we should take a break and maybe we'll come back to.
Speaker 3: It though this was so much fun for. Sure, okay well that is nineteen Ninety The Bronx. Warriors it is what it. Is but it is pretty.
Speaker 2: Great, yeah so, yeah we'll go and close it. Out but we'd love to hear from everyone out. There i'd especially love as, Always i'd love to hear from anyone who watched this back in the. Day i'd love to hear from anybody who lives in The bronx. Today, yeah tell us about The, bronx what life in The bronx is like today and how it differs from this, movie.
Speaker 3: Or generally people in and around The New york, region if you want to give your perspective on the geography of this, movie like how it's, like what is the deal with like why are we always looking At manhattan From? Brooklyn or AM i wrong about? That MAYBE i?
Speaker 2: Am, well, yeah definitely right. In we'd love to hear from. Everybody just a reminder that That stuffed To able Your mind is primarily a science and culture podcast with core episodes And tuesdays And, thursdays but On fridays we set aside most serious concern to just talk about a weird film On Weird House. Cinema if you're on letterbox dot, com look us up there and you will find. Uh if you'll find our user name there is Weird, house and we have a list of all the movies we've covered over the, years and sometimes a peek ahead at what's coming. Next wherever you get the podcasted the audio podcast on any of the audio podcast, sources or if you watch us on video On, netflix just make sure that you rate your, review, subscribe give us a couple of thumbs up if you're On. Netflix has to be reminded about new.
Speaker 3: Episodes huge thanks as always to our excellent audio Producer. Jjposway if you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any, other to suggest a topic for the, future or just to say, hello you can email us at contact at stuff To blow Your mind dot.
Speaker 1: Com stuff To Blow Your mind is production Of. iHeartRadio for more podcasts from my Heart, radio visit The iHeartRadio, App apple, podcasts or wherever you listen to your favorite.
Speaker 3: Shows