Speaker 1: Hello, Texans, Welcome to the show. We can't wait. It's training camp. Eve, it's officially training camp. If not, oh, it's in three weeks or two weeks or a week from Tuesday. No, it's tomorrow morning. Wednesday morning, we will be out live eight to ten am and shot him set before that. After that it's in the loop. We will be covering camp practice number one.
Speaker 2: It's here.
Speaker 1: It's football season. The off season is over, Johnny. Oh boy, I'm so excited to say that, are you. Yeah, the off season is over now, I am, and I'm not because this time of year usually gets really busy trying to set up everything for our first broadcasts. So you feel like you feel like you could use another week for that. That yeah, but I don't want to wait for football any longer. At the same time, that's well said. That's exactly the way to feel about it.
Speaker 3: I think is that, man, I wish I had a week to do all those other things and then could kind of just mentally clear my head for all that. But then again, you kind of just dive right in. You don't get a chance to kind of ease your way too. He's die right in it.
Speaker 2: Let's go mysay professor in college.
Speaker 1: When we did this huge project and I mentioned that, you know, we could use another week, he gave me the right phrase, which is work fills the time allotted. If we gave you another week, you'd be saying that in another week, right. I mean, it's just what happens, because a lot of what I do or have to prepare is dependent on other people as well and them doing stuff.
Speaker 2: But I'm not making excuses. It's just the way it is.
Speaker 3: It's just so wait as you get ready for training camp and it's starting tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm sucked. I'm excited.
Speaker 1: So since it is the end of the off season, okay, the top five off season moves for your Texans and they all relate to what's happening to a training camp.
Speaker 2: Okay, they all relate.
Speaker 1: And I'm gonna give you a couple of honorable mentions to start it off. Okay, okay, all right, so these are really acquisitions. All right, let's just call them what they know, whether it be trayed draft, whatever, but honorable mention. Second honorable mention Evan Brown. Signing of Evan Brown I think deserves an honorable mention up here.
Speaker 3: So I had a conversation. We had a media event last night, which kind of kicks it off kind of for us, like, all right, we get all the media back together, and we're considered part of the media, even though we're kind of not kind of are either way, We got invited and we really appreciate Omar, David Lindsay, et cetera, you know, asking us to be there. So we were there and I was signing a conversation and somebody, somebody asked me, somebody being Landry Locker kind of asked me about, you know, the interior offensive line and you know what, what about rut Ledge, you know, who plays center? All that kind of stuff. And as we were talking, I remember saying, you know, look, Evan Brown is on this team, and Evan Brown, I think can do. I think everybody's gonna be asked to do some some things for this offensive line this year. And I think having a guy like that that's played center, that's played guards, played both, he's stout, he could jump right in and play either position. We know over the year years the offensive line, I mean, what was it twenty twenty three, the first year to meek, it was here like within ten minutes Scotti Quisenberry ended up tearing as acl right. Then later Juice got hurt. You know, Deeter had to come in at center. You know, after Jared Patterson got hurt. They went through like three or four different centers before Deeter had to then finish off the year. So you know you're gonna have years like that. You're gonna have a rash of injuries and you're gonna need depth. And one of the points I made the other day was talking about the depth of the offensive lines, the depth in general of the team, but the depth in general on the offensive line in particular. They're I think in a better shape than they've been in a long time, and Evan Brown is a big factor in that big factor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think it's a good one. So another honorable mention, And I struggled with this one. This one almost broke into the top five. Top five offseason moves for your Texans. Okay, Caden McDonald honorable mention. Okay, I think that this could be a really good player for this football team. And it's a guy that maybe the rookie season isn't one of those that explodes, but there's some plays made maybe in the postseason it comes on even stronger. Who knows, But I think in the years to come, we're gonna look at Caiden McDonald and say, wow, you know, I did a thing with Keeland Rutledge last week for the Lux Partners, and if you're a Lux partner, you know what that means. Sweets and all the treats and sweets that go along with that lifestyle. So you get exclusive content like me talking to Kailan Rutledge. But he was talking about Kaiden McDonald. You know, he knows who he is, and you know, I think they're both from Georgia. Yeah, they didn't play against each other, but they knew about each other, That's right.
Speaker 2: Something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because Kiln Rylery has played Kristin Miller from Georgia, but Kate McDonald's from Georgia.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so they're all Georgia. Sure.
Speaker 1: And then that led to the conversation, Man, there are a lot of NFL players from Georgia and that has been coming on strong in the last fifteen years.
Speaker 2: Johnny.
Speaker 1: I feel like prior to ten fifteen years ago, certainly had a lot of players from Georgia, but not as many as we have have now. Do you think that's a relatively recent phenomenon.
Speaker 3: I think Georgia high school football has been exceptional and one of them. I mean, they have a lot of talent. I mean theyn't get me wrong, but State Georgia pays its coaches very very well. They pay like they do here in Texas. Maybe not to that level, but pretty close. We had a coach Jabar Gafney's high school coach was a man named Welton Coffee and Rains High School in Jacksonville, and he's the head coach. They went to a state championship kind of out of nowhere in nineteen ninety seven, I think it was. I think it's what it was. Ninety six ninety seven, won a state championship. He hit a stipend, a fifteen hundred dollars. Wow, So he decided, you know what, forget this, I'm going to Georgia. He got a job literally thirty minutes on the northern or north of the Georgia border. I can't remember what it was, but it was a county, one of the county schools, like Coldwood County or something like that, and he ended up making sick Sick Bank. I mean he made a lot of money to be a high school football coach. And so that's what was happening in a lot of coaches. They get they get taken, they get sucked into Georgia. And so now you've got these great athletes, you know, guys like Kamara Lasser, guys like Kiden McDonald, okay in went to Ohio State. But they're getting coached by really good coaches. The good coaches want to be there because they can get paid. I mean, you think about it, good coaches want to be somewhere where they're gonna get money. And wellt Coffee is a great example of that. He went up there, he got paid, and that has happened to a lot of coaches in not only Jacksonville, but in North Florida. They kind of get you know, sucked across the line Valdosta. They'll pay a lot of money to be the coach there, all that kind of stuff. So that's I think helped that they're they're better coached. But there are some really good programs, really really good programs in Georgia, and that doesn't even count. You know, all of the city schools that are in Atlanta. Uh and then obviously the suburbs of Atlanta. I mean, it's a really really good state. I just think they're getting better coached, they're more polished now, and I think that's given him better opportunity and it helps that a place like University of Georgia, you can stay home and you can, you know, be a really good player staying at home to go University of Georgia before you end up going to the league. And obviously Kamari you approve that. Jordan Davis, you know the guys that have all come out of Georgia that have Georgia ties. So I don't I want to say it's a recent phenomenon, but I think there's a lot of factors that go into it that it's not surprising now. But one of the best is, you know, University of Georgia's you know, helping, but I think the high school coaches being of a higher caliber because they end up getting paid. So that's there. Speaking of can I give you Honora mentional fast?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it might be part of my top five, but go ahead try it.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, in your top five, do you have anything having to do with coaches? No, So here's my top five.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: The fact that, especially defensively, you have one hundred percent continuity defensively at a go O case back, Vaso's back, Online's back.
Speaker 1: Does that count as an off season move or it's it off season development or story?
Speaker 3: Well, it depends on how you has how you look at it. Because Unlin, Vasso, Burke all had different interviews along the way. Yep, they could all They could have all left, they could have taken a job. I mean, Corey could have very easily have been I think it was Cleveland. Then he interviewed with He very easily could have been the DC. So maybe the move is a lack of a move, but it ends up being a huge off season story in a sense that the coaching staff, especially defensively, stayed very stayed what it was from last year.
Speaker 2: Kind of mind blowing a defense like this.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, they must think that is the mad scientist and he does it all. Why wouldn't you hire one of these guys?
Speaker 3: That's right? Or or look, maybe maybe teams wanted to and maybe the situation wasn't what they wanted. But either way, you're bringing back your defensive staff and your defensive personnel and adding Caiden McDonald and read Blankenship too.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's so many coaches I don't want to sing. Well, I'll single a couple out right here, and you agree with me because you know I hate seeing anybody leave really but Rod right, yeah, my gosh, the job he's done with the D line. And then the guy who's the assistant D line coach as of last year of Frank Okamp, former Texan. He watched this. This is sneaky hot right here. That guy is a head coach. And I think there are a lot of people on the staff like that, but I'll identify I like coming up with the guy who's the assistant assistant, right, you know, a guy who's way under the radar because.
Speaker 2: I would watch out for him. Yep, I agree.
Speaker 1: I think that he's got the chops. And there are numerous others on this staff. But Frank Ocam, Now, Demiico's not going to want to hear me say this.
Speaker 2: What if people are listening.
Speaker 1: See Bill O'Brien would have thought they're listening in New England, they're going to steal him or something like that, and he might have been right, you know, I mean if they combed through all the team media to see what guys like us say, you know, maybe that's an edge.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like they're gonna buy like Bill O'Brien bought what we were selling. But I agree with you. When these coaches sit down, I think Stevian Otta Okay is going to be a head coach someday.
Speaker 1: One I mean the other one, I'm going I'm going to layer under, you know, because someday, you know, we because it's well documented. We had the flour here, Mike McDaniel here, we had Rob Salah here, We've had so many guys here, you know who.
Speaker 3: I'm excited to see. Speaking of assistant to the assistant. Look, you know Ben mcgames has been tremendous.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, there's another one.
Speaker 3: But his his wide receiver assistant is aka kiddn Play Taekwan Underwood.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: And the first time I see him in the whole way, I started hearing like, you know, a host party in my head because he's got that game play haircut. But I think he's a guy, and I go back to this. I hear people say this a lot. In fact, I heard somebody talking about this the other day. Oh, he was a great player, so he'll be a great coach. I'm like, no, No, Sometimes you're best coaches are the guys that got the most out of themselves as players so often, but they understand the game, they understand how it works. And I think Taekwan is one of those guys. And he's the assistant wide receivers coach Taekwan Underwood, So I'm I'm really excited about what he brings to the party as well. I watch him out at OTA's and he's just got good vibes. He's very positive, he's always just kind of running and moving to the next next one, and I just think he's got the right mentality, especially to coach that particular position. But I think he's got more. He's got more in the hopper than just being wide receivers coach or if that's where it stops, whatever, He's gonna be a tremendous one. But I think tak One Underwood is a guy, like you said, the assistant to the assistant. I think he's gonna be fun.
Speaker 1: Well, here's the thing. So many players during their career you could identify them as coaching prospects because of their intellect and they appear to have the goods to teach others, But are they going to.
Speaker 2: Want to do it?
Speaker 3: That's a big question.
Speaker 2: You just never know who's gonna want.
Speaker 3: To do it. Wait, by the way, by the way, did you see who was helping out Mike Vrabel what Patriots practiced last weekend?
Speaker 2: The puppy. Oh no, that was a different thing.
Speaker 3: No, what potential wide receivers coach DeAndre Hopkins.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I did see this. Interesting I saw that.
Speaker 1: I just went so Vrabel, Yeah, Vrabel, of all people, Rabel, all right.
Speaker 2: I guess so.
Speaker 3: I mean the thing I forgot is you coached him at Tennessee. But I think, I mean, I think Hop, you know, it's it's gonna be tough for Hop to say, guy's got drops, what do you do? And Hop's like, well, you catch the ball.
Speaker 1: Just catch the ball. Catch the ball, I mean, just high point the ball. You just go get it. You just go get it. But Pop was one of the best I ever saw.
Speaker 3: I mean obviously catching the ball, but body controlling the sidelines, getting two feet in bounds. It was funny because I feel like Hop, you know, you and I talked about this over the years, about how the ball would be thrown by the sidelines, and it changed the way that you would call the game because at first, at first you would be always out of bounds, but then when you show the ball staring Hop.
Speaker 1: You would kind of and you'd wait, you wait for the official.
Speaker 3: You have to wait for the official because he would do some things and then you'd see the replay like, holy crap.
Speaker 2: I don't know how the officials see that. You have to look to make sure the ball is secure and the feat you see both.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't know, you know, I'm just gonna call it in and then go ahead and review it if you need to.
Speaker 3: Co Hopkins though, how about that? Now that's not set in stone because I still think DeAndre wants to play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but if he coaches, that's unlikely. I mean in terms of a projection I would have had while he was Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Exactly, I didn't. I didn't think hop would have been a coach.
Speaker 1: Andre Johnson, who sat in the chair you're sitting and told us the story of you know, when hop was a rookie.
Speaker 2: He's like, well, why don't we just throw the throw up?
Speaker 1: To throw the ball up, you know, and Andre's explaining route running and everything, Andrey Johnson would be a hell of a coach, but he doesn't want to do it right.
Speaker 2: Otherwise he'd be doing it.
Speaker 3: That's right. So there's a lot that goes in.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of guys goes in.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's I mean, it's it's.
Speaker 1: A I mean, he would be a hell of a coach, but you know, he doesn't want to coach. He wants to He is a hell of a coach in basketball. You know, he wins all these tournaments, these national tournaments with his team and everything. But uh and he and he or it goes deep at the very least and wins some and he just doesn't want to do the full time, you know, twenty six hours a day football coach. Now that's a grind of a different type. Okay, so we got off the track, Yeah we did. So we haven't getting back to the top. So we did honorable mention. Okay, you're going to reverse order here.
Speaker 2: I'm going to reverse order.
Speaker 1: Top five off season stories or acquisitions, moves, moves moves for the Houston Texts. Number five, the acquisition of read blanket ship. He's a top five.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: We could talk all we want about other things, and they're coming. Don't worry but read blanket Ship. My gosh, you know you have a beautiful house and you put an addition on it. Did you need the addition? You know it was a luxury? This is called a luxury Johnny. Well maybe it's a necessity. I don't know, but I think the health of m J. Stewart factors in here. But all that aside, you have m J. Stewart in the building and at some point we'll be ready and then you're looking at let's get even better, right because them Jay can help us no matter what. Absolute But read blanket Ship steps into the starting lineup with Calen Bullock, Petrie Nickel.
Speaker 2: You know who else is out there? This is ridiculous.
Speaker 1: This is absolutely phenomenal that you acquired Read blanken Ship.
Speaker 3: There are a couple of ways, like when you use the house comparison like do you you know, do you need this?
Speaker 2: Do you need that?
Speaker 3: And it hit me like there are a couple of things like maybe you have a an electric stove. Reblanket ship is gas because a lot of people want to use gas in cooking, Like, yeah, the electric stove is good, it's good, but all but you can get gas.
Speaker 2: I have induction.
Speaker 3: That's good. I never liked the induction.
Speaker 2: No, I don't. I don't like it much either.
Speaker 3: I'd rather have a gas but but but you get the point. It's like having you know, you've got a house, and you had you know, you've got like neighborhood security. But then you put in a ring at your you know what, you know whatever, the doorbell ring security service. You know, that's kind of reblank It's It's something that I didn't think they were going to. I thought that might be something they approached the draft. I thought it might be something that I don't say they look past. But they survived last year the best defense in the league, and they had four or five guys playing in that particular position. But they decided, look, we've got we got to lock this down with somebody that we trust, somebody that can, you know, be versatile, dependable, physical, helping run past. I think they found that reblanket ship. I remember I was driving somewhere and I heard reblankets. Oh my god. I mean it was one of the acquisitions that I was so excited about because I really felt like that was the Okay, we've done everything on this house. Now we just put the ring camera on. It's it's hugely important for a lot of houses. And we've just put that on and this house is ready to go. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like it all right.
Speaker 1: So that's number five off season moves for your Texans on the eve of training camp beginning.
Speaker 2: What are they well? Five is Reid blanket Ship. Four.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna chick it out here a little bit. I'm gonna say Braiden Smith, but I'm gonna say right tackle. Okay, right tackle? Oh, okay, we know the left tackle is arianta URSII. Right tackle. What they did here they not only signed Braiden Smith, but they reupt Trent Brown. Yeah, therefore you have solidified right tackle. You have built pillars there. And Blake Fisher is still on his football team and is a swing type guy. I would imagine Trent would play left tackle if you needed him to.
Speaker 2: Could would good. Maybe Blake does. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't want to see it. I want to see Tay out there seventeen games plus, thank you. But the point is this, I like what they did here because they made it so.
Speaker 2: Trent is not the guy who has to play at all.
Speaker 1: Maybe, but if you need to play him, you can and Braiden Smith, but he's got injury issues. Maybe well you have Trent Brown and hopefully Braiden can go the whole way. But if you can't, you got Trent Brown to go some of the way and then you still have Blake.
Speaker 2: I like what they did here at right tackle.
Speaker 3: Most years, let's just say most years. There have been some years where Plan A wasn't a good plan for anybody. You're like, who's our starter? You don't even know? Now you're satisfied with Plan A, B and C. Like you just said, you just laid it out, Braiden Smith, Blake Fisher, Trent Brown and whatever order you got plans. You don't just have all plan. If something doesn't work out or there's an injury, you can go to Plan B, whatever that ends up being. But you have options. And there have been years there haven't even options. There have been years where you thought the plan you had was gonna be good, and then a training camp you get guys banged up, and then VOILA. For a million bucks, you get George Fant and you got more than a million dollars worth of value from him. And that's the way it's worked out.
Speaker 2: In some years.
Speaker 3: This year, I think you've got the plan for that particular position for the entire season, not just well this will get us by. I feel like that's the plan, whether it's you know, Braden starts, Trent's ready to go at a moment's notice. Look, it'd be great if every all of them could play all seventeen games. But as we said earlier, we know we know on the offensive line doesn't always happen. So I like the way you phrased that right tackle. I might even move that up. You get that four, I might even move that up to three or two because how important the offensive But I want to hear the rest, to hear the rest before I make that assessment. But if you gave it, gave it to me a blind ranking, I probably would have put it too.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's the top five offseason moves on the eve of training camp beginning. So five read blanket ship four, the right tackle, the right tackle acquisition, slash keeping Trent Brown yep number three the drafting of Keeland Rutledge. I did that thing with him last week, Johnny, And what strikes me about him is there are certain rookies who come in who are so mature, they don't seem like and he's one of those guys. He just doesn't seem like a rookie already. You know, I'm not going to compare him to Dimico Ryans. Oh wait, I am, because Demiko as a rookie, I know, different positions, different sides of the ball. But Dimiko as a rookie was so mature, didn't seem like a rookie. Never mind on the field and cap and all that. I'm just talking about talking to him straight up as a rookie because I did a couple of events prior to the opening gun that two thousand and six season. We used to have so many more events pre season, right.
Speaker 2: We had that thing at Keema Boardwalk with the rookies. Oh man, that awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well for me, now, it was pretty hot, and it was really hot because you know in the band stages at Keema, you know, in the open area there. We'd go up there and didn't have the cheerleaders and the whole thing, and it was awesome.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: And that then, I mean, it must have been the first nine ten years of franchise history. The rookies on Labor Day weekend at Keema boardwalk.
Speaker 2: That was a thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a thing. I did it every year, was bring it back. It was kind of fun. It was fun. It would have been better at night as far as temperature, but Demiko was at that one and that was really cool. Anyway, Rutledge, I think super mature obviously plays well. I think that this guy playing center in all likelihood is going to be a difference maker. I think if he doesn't play center, he's going to be a difference maker at guard. Either way, he's a difference maker on your old line. First round draft choice, let's go.
Speaker 3: I think it was funny talking to Kate Stover. He was the one who said it in only the way that Kate Stover can say it on radio. When we asked about look, everybody talks about, oh, the Texans defense has swarm. At Texas defense is swarming. Oh yeah, but what about the offense? Is the offense mirror that? And he's like, look, we get ticked off or we're tired of that. But I think they finally have the personnel, including Caid, including Keelan Rutledge, that has that mentality that thinks like the defense does across the board. And I feel like Keithen Rutlige kind of epitomizes that. It's I mean the Wednesday before the draft and I was on a sean it Seth I said those exact words, like, you want to change the mentality, you oftentimes have to change the personnel. And I think the personnel they've brought in to do that. You mentioned Braden Smith, Trent Brown from from last year. They've they've wanted to reset that offensive line room such that the personnel just naturally thinks like the defense does. If you want to put it in those terms, Keelan Rutligs is key to that. Wyatt Teller is key to that. Ed Ingram is key to that. Drafting Arianta erstri He is certainly key to that. And the more guys you have that think that way, the better off you're going to be. Because you know, if if we talk about you know different you know rooms, you know position rooms. You know there there are rooms that you know, one guy can infect the entire room with a bad attitude or whatever it might be, whether it's a receiver dB or you know, offensive line or whatever. But if you've got enough guys in there that think the way that Keiland Rutlish does that can be powerful as well for the guys that maybe you don't always think that way. So I think hopefully you put that culture in Keilan Rutlis will be a big part of that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So he's three in our top five offseason moves.
Speaker 3: I would that three is probably about that's where I would.
Speaker 2: Put It's okay.
Speaker 1: Now with the top two, you would think that I might have struggled a bit who's one and who's two in the top five offseason moves in the eve of training camp, But I did not struggle with this, Johnny. It was pretty clear to me that number two in the top five is the acquisition of David Montgomery. Okay, running back for your Texans, a man who will change things in the running game, and acquiring him and really nobody else told me a couple of things. One they like him a lot, sure. Two they like Woody marks a lot. Yes, they love what he marks. And I think they feel like this one. Two is gonna be pretty good, right. Three at a third Okay, they think Jamar Jordan can play, and I think they're right, because, Johnny, where else are they going to find running back?
Speaker 2: Help?
Speaker 1: British is on the team, right, Jawar is on the team. Who's your guy from Yale again?
Speaker 3: Oh, Josh Pittsenburger.
Speaker 2: Let's go Pittsenberger IV.
Speaker 1: Pittsenburger is gonna be one of those camp stars, I'm telling you, and and he's gonna light up telling you midway through the third quarter of a couple of preseason games, he's coming in.
Speaker 3: To find out football is all about baby, and.
Speaker 1: People are gonna be like pitts a Burger And you never know, maybe he turns intwo.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you, he scores a touchdown that first preseason game, and I will go. I will have replays and everything going on TV. Dave Keene's gonna get sick of me.
Speaker 2: Have you already gotten the TV graphic on him?
Speaker 3: The NFL. I'm making sure when I send in because Dave wants us to send in kind of our storylines. I'm making sure that sneaking it right in there. Good.
Speaker 2: It's a good one because it's preseason. He always gonna be there. I like him. Mark.
Speaker 3: You know, I've been a big fan of mot Coomery for a while. I just I love his running style. I love to come on Iowa State. I love Guys, when I when I think about just playing defense, I think about how difficult it would have been. In my mind, I got to tackle this guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is tough.
Speaker 3: And when you watch him, even in OTA's in mini camp, I would have some pretty good angles to see him run the button. Look, it's not one hundred percent, it's not with pads. I get all that, But when you just watch him just make those powerful cuts and jump cuts and just getting in out of holes and just making peoples he was making. He was taking every run like it was a run in the super Bowl. And I think he's got so much more left in the tank. I thought it was a great acquistion. I'm wh we trade for him, like, and I know people got all up in their feeling, Well, you gave up three different pieces, like, man, you kidding me. You gave up a seven to twenty twenty seven. You gave up a guy that what probably wasn't gonna make your team as much as we loved him, juice scrugs, he wasn't gonna make your team. And you give a fourth rounder and you got David Montgomery, a guy that you think has got plenty of juice left and hoping that he does.
Speaker 1: I got a staff for you. Go ahead, I can throw a bunch of numbers out there. Yeah, here's what I like. Okay, thirty three thirty three touchdowns in the last three years. David Montgomery. We struggled with last year for sure scoring touchdowns. All right, these are rushing touchdowns and he's not even the top running back on the team, right, and he gets into the end zone thirty three times in the last three years.
Speaker 2: Sign me up for some of this.
Speaker 3: How much do you think one hundred percent truth Serum and Nick Serio and Dimiko Ryans, how much do you think when they talked about obtaining David Montgomery? Do you think they talked about and said, hey, remember seeing him enjoy practice last year? Sure, I guarantee you that was that was part of it.
Speaker 1: Well, that's something we could talk about with Nick when we have him on on Thursday morning. Because they scout everybody. I mean, there's no better places houses than your very own league. And note to self, he might be available next year via trade, so maybe won't want to go after him.
Speaker 2: Let's monitor it. They monitor everybody.
Speaker 1: It's a thirty two team league and they got guys Galore upstairs, whose job it is to survey and spy not you know, not ill that's a bad word to examine, analyze every player in the practice gate, you know, vanderm Meracusa Texas spying.
Speaker 2: Oh shoot, anyway you can that.
Speaker 3: Okay, Now you say number one. Now I'm curious, number one, number.
Speaker 2: One off season move.
Speaker 3: I thought that was going to be number one.
Speaker 1: I thought about it, But as I think about it deeply, deeper, this is the number one off season move for your Houston Texans. And to me, I think there's a considerable gap between one and two. And that is the acquisition of whyatt teller? Whyatt teller? And look, people.
Speaker 3: Say, well, you know, maybe end of the career ish.
Speaker 1: And is he going to be able to stay healthy? And I'm not going to say I don't care. I care about that, but I want him in this building. I want him in that room. All the reasons you pointed out about the offensive line getting swarmy or whatever, all of that, you're bringing in a bunch of guys. You're bringing in Braden Smith. You've drafted Keelan Ruttledge from the Benchi wee wu. Let's see what he does. We talked about Evan Brown. You re signed and by the way, ed Ingram I did not forget about you. You're in the honorable mentioned category two.
Speaker 2: At the very least.
Speaker 1: The resigning of Editingram is huge because you don't have to do anything at that spot and you know that you're gonna be okay. But with Wyatt Teller, you need that guy in the room. You know, Rutlers can be that guy eventually, and maybe somebody else as well.
Speaker 2: Maybe Tay is that guy.
Speaker 1: I like Tay's attitude too, Johnny, but we experienced his rookie season. I don't know if he's ready to take over the room just yet. Right think he's question than we think maybe. But Whyatt Teller is? I know this and you get a bunch of guys together. I think this is a very key individual to have in that room psychologically and physically. So let's see how it all plays out on the field. You had to improve the offensive line, and I'll say this tomorrow morning, we're gonna talk about it. I think we're gonna lead off the show with the old line because that's the story that's down and the quarterback. Maybe I don't know if we're going to do one tomorrow because we got Nick Casarius press conference and a lot of stuff going on. But the point is this, they will be better than they were last year period. Now, how much better remains to be seen, but I will guarantee they'll be better.
Speaker 2: Will they be a lot better? I hope so I think they will. But at the very.
Speaker 1: Least, they'll be better. And better is good. Better could get you there. A lot of other things have to go right, but better could get you there. Even a little bit better could possibly get you there. You know what if Sean and Seth always say I think Seth is a guy who says stuff like this a lot.
Speaker 2: If they get just and maybe Sean too, if.
Speaker 1: They just get average play just whatever, the middle of the road is right on the offensive line, they can do X right obviously quarterbacking, you know, you can't shurt it over.
Speaker 2: I get it. But I think they could be better than that with this group.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree, And I was wondering. I was like number one, and then I remember, oh, I already mentioned whyatt telor and so yeah, I think because I mentioned keeping track of talking about geez.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: But but as we were talking about things, I mentioned the name Wyatt teller and so when you're like, what would be you know, oh yeah, and then you said it, and I think again it goes back to like you said what I was talking about earlier, and I think people get a little bit tired of hearing this, but I think that's what today's NFL really is all about. You look at teams and places with good cultures, and you're looking at division winning teams, conference winning teams, super Bowl championship teams.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I remember last year's they were going into the sea, and of course I follow all the teams just falling from Afar and watching the Seahawks, and you could just tell, man, there's a good vibe around this team. If Sam Darnold could play well, you know, they added Grace Sable to rookie. He came in and did really good things for them. They had a couple of tackles that had been there, and they played a little bit better, but it was like they're the vibes that they had. The other thing you have to have, I think.
Speaker 4: Is.
Speaker 3: You have to have players that speak the same language as the position coach. And Cole Popovich to me, he we seen Cole. Cole said in his seat, and we asked Cole about the offensive line last year after they had played better.
Speaker 2: What did he say? Oh, he was not happy.
Speaker 3: He was not happy. He he is a guy that challenges them, he coaches them hard, and I think he wants guys that respond to that.
Speaker 1: What I just said about that being better, he would hate that.
Speaker 2: He's like a little bit better. It is not good of it.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you said that because I know people out there hear that and go average. I don't want to have That's not That's not what.
Speaker 1: I was I wasn't saying that. I was saying, get us to at least that, get us at least that.
Speaker 3: But our expectation is with these individuals, these acquisitions, because you mentioned right tackle, which ends up being a couple of guys, whyatt teller Keelan Rutliche. We're talking about what could be seventy five to the the crux of this offensive line.
Speaker 1: And people hyper examine in progress, trade versus free agent versus whatever. Who cares how they all got the You know you didn't trade two ones for Sauce Gardner.
Speaker 3: Oh stop me, sorry, Sorry, all shows violence today, go around the league later and coming up the best of the choice cuts of off season interviews on the Way next year on Texans Radio, give it Things Moving run along here in the Hunday Texans Radio studio on the eve of training camp, I was outside earlier at.
Speaker 1: The Houston that his training center, checking out our broadcast position for the first day of practice open practices get rolling.
Speaker 2: Saturday.
Speaker 1: Tickets are already distributed, so if you have friends who are going or whatever, maybe they can hook you up. But they are all out of tickets for open practice. And that'll be Saturday. They have eight open practices, but you'll have three practices before we get to that point. Will they be in pad Saturday or not? I cannot tell you right now. I would think probably not. Maybe Monday. Sunday's a day off. One thing about Tamiko Ryans he takes Sundays off. Now you might think, well, is that good. Shouldn't they be working all the way through. No, he times it that way because Sunday is an important day, right, So he takes it off instead of and I'm sure the coaches are working, by the way, but instead of having it off day Tuesday or whatever, he wants to time it. So days off ten to be on Sundays during training camp, and that's just the way he rolls, and it's worked out pretty well. This is the greatest era of Texans football. I will say that again. And Tamiko Ryans is off to the hottest start of any coach in the history of the franchise, no question about that, with three consecutive winning seasons. Now, he's not the only coach to start his tenure with three consecutive winning seasons. That was Bill O'Brien the other one in twenty fourteen, fifteen, and sixteen, But in twenty fourteen no playoffs nine and seven, twenty fifteen playoffs nine and seven, didn't win the playoff game, and twenty sixteen finally won a playoff game and lost in the Divisional Round two. The new nemesis, They're really not a new nemesis. They've always been a nemesis. They're not the nemesis. The nemesis is the Horseshoe, the Colts. But the Patriots are a close second. And I've said it before, the Patriots at Foxborough are an all time Texans villain for me, period full stop. I'm still saying full stop. I guess I have to phase that one out. Anyway, I promise some best of stuff from our off season interviews, and here's a few things, and I thought i'd focus it on a theme here. I got four cuts here. The theme is how is the offense doing?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: This is certainly after OTAs and going into mini camps. So these four players all had a good taste of how the offense was progressing throughout the offseason and had comparative analysis based on what they've seen before. For instance, the longest tenured Texan position player is Davis Mills. How about that, now, Fairbaron Kaemi Fairbairn is the longest tenured player, but Mills drafted in twenty twenty one the longest tenured position player. Not not my much, because that night Nico Collins was drafted. The next day Brevin Jordan was drafted. But you get my drift here. Mills kind of the spokesman now for the team. Not really, I'm going a little too far with that, but he's a guy's been around here for a while, right. If you live through twenty twenty one, you know that was a big struggle. If you live through twenty twenty two, that was another big struggle with a tie to open up the season. Twenty twenty one was a much rougher season, more blowout losses. Twenty twenty two a lot of close games, but that really the kind you want, and twenty twenty three the rest of the story the Demico Ryan's ever.
Speaker 2: Anyway, let's get to Mills here.
Speaker 1: How is the offense this year under Nick Kelly his second years offensive coordinator? Mills in year six of his career, how does the offense compared to this time last year?
Speaker 5: I think this time of year right now, we're I mean, I think light years ahead of where we were last year. We're in a really good spot. It's always nice going into year two of an offense instead of having to fully install the entire thing for the first time. I've been through that a couple of times here, but year two of the offense, that's a big jump to build off what we did well last year, but also adding new things. And I think coach Kayley's done a great job really taking inside of all of his players, especially us in the QB room, really kind of building an offense around us and around CJ to things that he does really well and things he's done in the past that he feels really comfortable doing so, I mean, really an open book with how we've been installing plays up to this point. And we obviously have the base installs of what the foundation of this offense is, but then there's things He's like, all right, what do you guys want to put in to add to the end of this install that we can run and rep and make sure everyone's comfortable with, because once you get later in the season, a lot of it really is just game plan and making sure we have content concepts that are built in to go against these certain defenses. And a lot of times or from times in my past, when you're in OTAs, you're really running like the foundation plays. But it seems like we're already kind of getting ahead to work some of those game plan related plays that you might only get to run a handful of times of season. But if we're already getting reps this early in the spring, it's it's valuable because it's kind of just everything starts loading into that memory brank in our in our heads and we're able to pull back on some of that training that we put in to make it effective in the season.
Speaker 3: What can you tell us about Jerry and how he's impacted the room.
Speaker 5: He's been great. Nothing about respect and good things to say about him. Knows the offense extremely well, and he does a great job coaching and kind of portraying his knowledge to us as players. So I'm excited to be in the room with him. He was there last year, but he's taken on a bigger role this year. It's gonna be fun.
Speaker 3: All Right.
Speaker 1: There's Davis Mills from where we talked to him prior to Mini camp on the offense this year versus last year. Let's get to the same kind of question here, but with Cad Stover, who's entering year three of his career. Man, he's looking for a big one here. He's looking for a big year. Got hurt early last year, came back. Wasn't a kind of season he wanted. Let's see what he does in twenty twenty six. Anyway, Stover at the same point prior to Many Camp offense this year versus last year.
Speaker 6: It's been good obviously, just getting to know like I'm getting those James obviously smart mine really good in the blocking game wise, like fundamental wise, really really really educated with that. We've taken a lot of good steps as far as an offense, We're in a much higher developed area than we were last year, as far as fundamentally wise, as far as understanding of concepts and what we want looking to get done. So, I mean, I think we're in eight. We're light years above where we were last year at this time, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Kate Stover right there referenced James. That would be James Ferrence, tight Ends coach and ference was with the Texans briefly during the Bill O'Brien era as an offensive lineman, son of Kirk Farrence, the head coach of the Iowa Hawk. Guys who's been there for a thousand years. I like guys who stay. I like guys who stay for a long time in their spot in college. I know, college is just crazy, not what it was. It's completely off the rails right now. We don't have to get into that at this particular moment, do we anyway? Stover on year one versus year two offense. Now, let's get to Jake Andrews center. Can't wait to see how that competition goes. Camp opens tomorrow. It's underway.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: You want to see the offensive lineman in pads? YadA, YadA, YadA. But there's no stopping every human who's observing camp from evaluating what they're seeing from snap number one going to be the classic overreaction under reaction.
Speaker 2: Is it one or the other? We'll see, we'll discuss.
Speaker 1: We got nothing else to do until they play a game August thirteenth, except listen to Texans Radio every morning eight to ten live from training camp and the sports Radio six to ten shows until the station converts to ninety five seven the fan. You say, how I worked in all the promo stuff on the runway to the Jake Andrews cut. And this is a question right before mini camp about the offensive line personality, the gelling of the different types of characters in the room. How's it working at developing this swar mentality? And then you get to year one versus a year two offensive progress.
Speaker 7: It's of the utmost importance. I mean, if I know a guy's watch name and his kid's name, and I know why he does it, you know, it makes it so much easier to go out there and be able to play for him, and likewise he plays for me too, and so just being able to get to know guys on a deeper level than just football has always been really important for me personally. Like I said, you can start to build that relationship and that trust together, and I trust you and you trust me, it's bound to go a little bit more smooth out there.
Speaker 2: Where's the offense this year versus last year?
Speaker 7: Jake a big step ahead. I mean at this point last year we had probably less than half of what we have in now.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 7: So it's been really fun to kind of see the growth that you know, Kaylee and Pop and Jerry, Everybody's been able to kind of kind of lead us through. You know, when you have a guy like CJ back there in Davis and all these guys that have, you know, yet another year under their belt in the same systems, there's always going to be improvements. And you're light years ahead in the year two.
Speaker 1: That's Jake Andrews and light years ahead sounds like a theme to me. It sounds like the guys have all discussed this and decided they're light years ahead of last year. Light years is a long time. Look, I'm a big sci fi fan. Light years is a long time and a long distance. So it's great progress. That sounds like quantum leap stuff to me. I can't wait. If they're a quantum leap better on offense than last year, sign me up for that every time.
Speaker 2: Just give me some good improvement.
Speaker 1: You know, the offense last year fourteenth in the league in passing. Nobody's throwing a parade for fourteenth in the league in passing. But the way people talk, it's like they were bottom three. Now they were bottom third of the league in running the football, and that's not going to get it done. They were eighteenth in offense overall. Not gonna get it done. And that's why you made all the improvements. We talked about it in segment one. We're all gonna watch starting tomorrow camp gets underway. Let's get to one final cut here, British Brooks, same question, same topic, offense this year versus last year. Through OTA's heading into mini camp and as we embark on training camp tomorrow.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent.
Speaker 4: I mean we came out basically just saying like we're gonna we're gonna go right into it. We're gonna install, we're gonna get to the you know, the knee gritty like not not just the basics, even though we do you know, hone in on the basics all the time, but now it's like we need to be progressing a lot faster than than we did last year. And it's like you can definitely see that with like just being in the offense for a second year.
Speaker 1: Now there's British Brooks on the offense improvement year one to year two under Nick Caley.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's gonna do it for those cuts.
Speaker 1: That was the theme the offensive improvement and camp against tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Can't wait.
Speaker 1: By the way, British going into year three man time Freaking flies running back competition. We mentioned Pittsenberger from Yale in the opening segment, but I can't wait to see Jamar Jordan out there. Of course Montgomery, but we expect big things from him. I don't want to see too much from him, actually see a little bit, see a little bit. Put him in bubble wrap. Woo, he marks two bubble wrap. I don't want to see too much of these guys. I want to see them gel with the offense, yes, but I don't want to expose them too much. You got huge games to open this season at Reliant Stadium, and in fact, something is happening this year with the schedule that only happened once before the history of the franchise.
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 1: I'll tell you next on Texans All Access Final Lap around the Track here tonight before we get to training camp. Live shows tomorrow morning, starting off with Panting Pendergast at six am on Sports Radio six ten, soon to be ninety five to seven of the fans. See I said it again, getting you ready for August thirteenth, when the station flips to FM. You'll still get it on six to ten, but it'll be called ninety five to seventh the fan And why wouldn't you go to the FM at that point?
Speaker 2: Yes? Please?
Speaker 1: It'll happen the day of our first Texans preseason game against the Chargers.
Speaker 2: Can't wait?
Speaker 1: Okay, So tomorrow morning at six p and p and then eight am, Johnny and I for a couple of hours as the team takes the field, and then in the loop has you for the rest of practice. They'll probably get a player live. In fact, I'll virtually guarantee that. Okay, I said something that's happening this year with the schedule, now that it's camp time. A lot of my casual sports friends and you're thinking, Mark, you have friends, Yeah, I do. I have friends and some friends follow sports more than others.
Speaker 2: It's weird.
Speaker 1: I know that people wouldn't follow sports as deeply as you and I do, but it does happen. So people are asking me, Hey, who do they play this year? Are you serious? Okay, the schedule's loaded. Cowboys Week four at home. Everyone's looking forward to that one. But I'm looking forward to Week one Buffalo, Are you kidding me? This is a war? And then week two the Bengals. So back to back games at home to start the schedule. Did you know that this is only the second time in the history of the franchise that this has occurred. The only other time was twenty sixteen. And the Texans did well the first two games. They beat the Bears who opened up the season, and that was brock Osweiler. And then in week two it was a bloodbath against Kansas City and they won the game Travis Kelce played. There was no Mahomes yet. I mean Mahomes existed, but not in professional form. That was Alex Smith.
Speaker 2: But that was a war.
Speaker 1: And then they had to go on the road short week at New England. You know what happened there? They got shut out. That really hurt a lot but anyway, they did open to and Zho and they did go nine and seven and win the division that year. Other items from the schedule that are interesting because here we are, we're embarking on football season. Thirteen of the fourteen opponents this year were on the schedule for the inaugural season of two thousand and two. I think that's cool because here we are celebrating the twenty fifth year franchise history and we've got thirteen of those fourteen teams on the schedule. You're thinking, well, don't they play seventeen games? But you're thinking or not thinking about duplicate games that the Jags, Titans, and Colts.
Speaker 2: Don't. Forget about that.
Speaker 1: But I think that is super interesting that they play all those squads from the inaugural season, especially Dallas Week four. That's going to be a huge celebration of the twenty fifth year. That game and other news and notes. Just know that camp starts tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: As I said from the get go, eight open practices practices one, two, and three are not open to the public, but they are live on the radio. Baby, we will have them for you, and we are super fired up to be with you live from the Houston Methodist Training Center tomorrow morning, six am, P and P. Eight o'clock, Johnny and I take over. Looking forward to it. Thanks so much for listening. Area forty five coming up next to have a great night, Go Texans.