Speaker 1: The Apple Watch Series ten is here. It has the biggest display ever. It's also the thinnest Apple Watch ever, making it even more comfortable on your wrist whether you're running, swimming, or sleeping. And it's the fastest charging Apple Watch, getting you eight hours of charge in just fifteen minutes. The Apple Watch Series ten available for the first time in the glossy jet black aluminum compared to previous generations. iPhone Tennis are later required. Charge time and actual results will vary.
Speaker 2: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roeblass, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, Evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jerrel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Panya, and Bobby Canavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 3: Welcome in Episode one seventy one, What's Right with Nick Right? Today's episode brought to you by Starbucks ready to drink coffee. Tune into moments that matter with the uplifting boost of Starbucks Mocha for appuccino chilled coffee drink available now or wherever you buy your groceries. I got this one at the bodega right next door. All right, A ton to do today, and we're doing something different to start the show. But first so and it's gonna probably just heads up to yourra the opening topic. If I keep it under thirty on the opening topic, I will have done a good job. Under thirty minutes on the opening topic I need.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna have to nap.
Speaker 3: You know, it'll be riveting information. But there's thirty two teams. I'm gonna go. We'll all explain in a moment. But before we even get to that, let's get to what missed the cut for today's show. Not on today's show, the US Soccer League Sacramento Republic signs a thirteen year old, the youngest pro athlete in the US. Shakira says, Jimmy Butler different from other men. Shout out Jimmy Butler and Johnny Manzel reportedly, or by his own admission, watched zero film in the NFL. I have a new rule. I only watch sports documentaries if I am prominently featured in them. So the Johnny Manziel doc is not gonna make my docket. In fact, I haven't even seen a few of the latest sports docks that evidently I'm in. It's very weird when we want to use clips from these documentaries on TV. Very often it's like, no, it wasn't clear they wouldn't let us do it. But nobody asks me if they can use my, you know, wisdom and great takes in their documentaries. Well, yeah, very awesome. Very often it's wisdom. You could learn a few things from my wisdom most of it?
Speaker 5: All?
Speaker 3: Right, Dior, though, what are we starting today's show with thirty two teams?
Speaker 4: What we know? What you hope, and what you fear?
Speaker 3: Okay? So I liked what we did on Tuesday where we went through all the teams and their potential Hall of famers all of that, and I wanted to kind of, oh, they put thirty on the clock. Wow, And I wanted to continue that because we're going to be off next week, and then the week when we return, we really kick it into full football gear and we do our official predictions, we bring the Gambling show back, your brother makes his return from Los Angeles. That's all coming. And as kind of dipping our toe into the prediction waters, what I want to do here is go through all thirty two teams as quickly as I can and say what you know, what you hope, and what you fear if you're a fan of any of these teams. So I'm gonna start in the NFC, go to the AFC. I'm just gonna go as I see them listed on the NFL standing s page with everyone zero and zero, So it's basically a random order, if you will. We will start as it happens, and we'll go east, north, southwest, because that's how the standings are listed. As it happens. We'll start with the Dallas Cowboys. What we know about the Cowboys is they're going to have a really good defense. It's impossible for that team with Micah Parsons, with Dan Quinn, with the other personnel on that defense to not have a really good defense. What you hope is with Mike McCarthy, and this is a big risk here, taking control of the offense from Kellen Moore. Kellen Moore being gone that Dak Prescott gets back to who he'd been in his entire career prior to last year, cut down on the interceptions, take care of the football. Tony Pollard, who was the best running back on the team the last couple years, is now that we know he's going to be the featured back, that he can carry the workload, and that defense plus a lack of turnovers on offense leads to the Cowboys for the first time since the mid nineties, going on an actual postseason run. What you fear is that the offense takes a step backwards, not because Dak's turnovers jump, but because McCarthy's too conservative. And what you really fear is that Mike McCarthy, who has always dealt with game management and clock management issues, that now he has even more on his plate on game day since he's calling plays, that the Cowboys have some end of game in of half meltdowns that cost them games they otherwise shouldn't. That's the Cowboys the Giants. What we know. We know that Brian Daviles a good coach. We know that what you hope is that Daniel Jones can keep his turnovers low like last year while expanding what he's allowed to do through the air throwing the football. What you fear is that when they put more on Daniel Jones's plate, the turnovers will jump back up. The touchdowns might go I mean they had fifteen touchdowns last year, might go up as well. But this is a team that cannot deal with turning the ball over the way they're trying to win. And so you know they have a good coach and that they're on the right track. You hope Jones what now if they take the training wheels off of him, that he can can continue on this trajectory. You fear that when they take the training wheels off of him, he's going to become Danny Drops again, one of the most turnover prone quarterbacks in the league, and they can't sustain that. Philadelphia Eagles, what we know, it's almost an impossibility for this team not to be at least good. They have too good of a roster, too good of an offensive line, too good of a defensive line, too good of a leader at quarterback. So we know that their bare minimum is ten wins. Probably what you hope is that because of the leadership of Jalen Hurts, that that team does not suffer a Super Bowl hangover, that they got a absolute steal at number ten in the draft in Jaialen Carter, that his Georgia teammate Jordan Davis looks like the player he was in college, more so the player he was as a rookie where he wasn't quite as impactful as people thought. That they got another Steel and Nolan Smith, and that Jalen can continue on the trajectory he was on in the Super Bowl, which was his best game throwing the football of his career. What you fear is that Siriani, who is not as level headed in my opinion as Jalen, hurts and has not faced real adversity as a head coach in this league, that Siriani doesn't deal well if they get off to a tough start, that Jalen does not take the next jump throwing the football, and that all of a sudden they're in a dog fight in the NFCS when they were cruising all last year, And that this team feels like, oh man, our opportunity was last season and now all of a sudden, we because they have They've put a lot on the credit card in Philadelphia, and now all of a sudden, we're not going to have as stacked of a roster moving forward. That's what you fear, And you fear that the draft strategy of just take Georgia players might not be the best one Washington. What you know about Washington is they should have a good defense. What you hope with Washington is that Eric the enemy can get the absolute most out of out of Sam Howell and what are some underrated weapons. What you fear is that they have clearly the worst quarterback in that well yeah, I mean right now, clearly the worst quarterback in that division, not a ver in my opinion, not a very good head coach. That the season is already off to a weird start with Ron Rivera airing out the enemy unnecessarily, and that Washington is all of a sudden in the Caleb Williams sweepstakes when they're trying to be in the wildcard sweepstakes. All right, that's the NFC East NFC North Chicago Bears. What you know is they have more talent. In the last year, they added DJ Moore, they addressed the offensive line, They spent some money last year, they spent the year in jail. They got the number one pick Because of it, they were able to flip that for a lot of draft capital. What you know is that they will have more talent on the field this year than last year. What you hope is that Justin Fields can become just league average as a passer, his ability as a runner, in his athleticism. If he is just a league average passer, he'll be a time quarterback because he's one of the two best running quarterbacks in football. What you fear is that he is not going to evolve as a passer, that going with a defensive minded head coach when you're trying to develop a quarterback is not going to work out, and they are going to say, oh man, we could have drafted our quarterback at number one. We traded out of that pick. So you fear that you in addition to that kind of fear that Carolina is better than people expected and those picks you have coming back from them aren't as good. The Detroit Lions, what you know. You know that they have playmakers on offense. They've spent a lot of resources on trying to improve that defense, and you know those players will play hard for Dan Campbell. What you hope is that the offensive line holds up the way it did last year Jared Goff, because with the clean pocket Jared Goff can play. You hope the offensive line holds up, and you hope that even though you took what are considered non premium positions high in the draft, that those guys are instantly day one starters and you get more out of your rookies than most teams that took guys maybe at premium positions, but weren't the best or the second best player at their positions in the draft. What you fear is that you're the damn Lions, and every year of your life as a Lions fan that you've gone into with any type of hope, they have found a way to kick you in the gut. And that Golf, the offensive line is not quite as good, which means Golf doesn't have a clean pocket, which means Golf goes back to who he was at the end of his time with the Rams. That the defense doesn't get it together, that drafting a running back and an inside backer with your first round picks was as bad as all the analytics folks said it was, and that a year where you have legitimate playoff expectations, you fall flat Green Bay. What you know. You know that, honestly, there is a team that probably knows as little as anybody else, as little as anybody in the league. But what you know is that you have a good coach in Lafloor, and you are able, for the first time in thirty years in Green Bay to kind of fly under the radar because you don't have a superstar at quarterback and no one expects anything out of you this year. What you hope is not can Jordan Love be as good as Aaron Rodgers in the entirety of his career? But can Jordan Love be about as good as Aaron Rodgers was last year? Maybe Rogers wasn't very good those young receivers, can you hope they can take the next step? And you hope that the team and Jordan, but mostly the rest of the team take it personally that Rogers seems to be so damn thrilled with his new setup and his new spouse and his new football spouse, I should say, with the Jets, and you take it personally. What you fear is that Jordan Love is not the guy, and Rogers play is rejuvenated and plays really well, and all of a sudden, you're like, oh my god, we're in the NFL wilderness without a place to turn for the first time, and like I said, thirty years Minnesota Vikings. What you know is you have the best receiver in football, and you are going to get above average, not great, but above average play from your quarterback. That plus an offensive minded head coach guarantees you some competency on offense. Justin Jefferson League, average quarterback play offensive my head coach of the offense gonna be fine. What you hope is that the defense can just be slightly below average instead of a disaster the way it was in so many spots last year. What you fear is that your eleven and oh record in one score games was historic for a reason and is totally unsustainable. Atlanta Falcons, we're gonna go fast, hopefully through the NFC South. Because we are thirteen minutes in, we've done eight teams. Is not going even I thought this would be long. It's going a little longer than I thought. How do you think we're doing? Are you interested? You locked in? You just over here, just snifflin. You're not gonna even say anything.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm listening, you.
Speaker 3: Know, locked in. You listen, you're gonna go off to college. And if people are gonna bring you people from all over the world, all over the country, dimnent football teams. If you retain just one piece of information about each team, you're gonna be able to jump into any conversation and be like, WHOA.
Speaker 4: I'm okay. I don't think I'll be a part of many foot both.
Speaker 3: Well, you never know, Diora all right, Atlanta Falcons. What you know is Bjeon Robinson is gonna be awesome. You know that. What you hope is that in that division that Ritter looks competent. Bijon, Kyle Pitts, the other weapons, Drake London, you have all those weapons and you can be a fun team. What you fear, and I wouldn't actually fear this, I would be hoping for this, is that Ritter can't play at all and somehow you're you're in the Caleb Williams sweepstakes. I don't think they're gonna be bad enough to be in that, but you kind of fear. What you actually fear is that the weapons in Bijeon are enough to get you to like and you've invested some money in defense Kalais Campbell and others. You get to six seven wins and you're kind of stuck in that purgatory the Saints. What you know is you're not going to be terrible. You brought in Derek Carr. You keep pretending you're challenging for Super Bowls right now. What you hope is that in that division with car with a bit of a chip on his shoulder, Kamara coming back after the suspension, a defense that every year is pretty damn good. Yeah, I should turn my ringer off, thank you. You hope that you can get to ten wins, which is enough for the division. What you fear is that you end up where you've been the last couple of years, right on the outside looking in, and you have put so much on it. I know Saints fans hate me because they don't understand how the salary cap works. That's fine that you kept borrowing from Peter to pay Paul, and you weren't even really paying Paul. You were just paying off the interest. But the debt has stayed the same because that bill is coming due in New Orleans over the next few years, and that is only worthwhile doing. Like if Tampa or the Rams did it. If you have a legitimate chance of winning the Super Bowl. You had that with Breeze. You do not have it now with Derek Carr Tampa Bay. What you know is you've got some good receivers. It's about it. What you hope is that with the offensive line back from injury, with still some talent on defense, not a lot, but some, and in that division, that you can be around the type of team you were last year, even though it's Baker in for Brady, and you can be alive to win the division. What you fear is that Kyle Trask is your quarterback by week five because Baker's played himself out of the job, and that you're one of the worst teams in the league. Carolina. What you know, you know that you're at least going to have fun this year watching Bryce Young as you figure out if you made the right decision in trading all those assets to move up to number one to get Bryce. What you hope is that, hey, you were around five hundred last year, you have a good defense, You're in a bad division. Why can't you, on the talent of the number one pick of the draft quarterback go win the division. What you fear is that Bryce is too small, the team stinks, and you have given up future draft picks that you are going to need to get him all right to the NFC West, the Los Angeles Rams. What you know, this is going to be a really tough year. What you hope, if you're a smart Rams fan, that the team recognizes this is going to be a really tough year, pivots to rebuild, and you maybe swallow hard and trade Aaron Donald. You don't mind if you have to put Stafford on the shelf and you say, we want to be the worst team in the league. Start the whole thing over. We have no one on our defense that reminds us of the Super Bowl except for Donald. On offense, you have a quarterback coming off an injury. You have Cooper Cup that's fine, but your offensive line is still a mess. What you hope is they recognize that and try to bring in the kid from La Caleb Williams with the number one pick. What you fear is that Sean McVay won't allow it. That instead, you're destined to another season like last year, where you're a five or six win team, kind of stuck in this football purgatory. The Arizona Cardinals. What you know is you're gonna be terrible. What you hope is that you're the worst team in the league. What you fear is that somehow you get a few wins you shouldn't otherwise get. Because the Cardinals are positioned so well because they have they traded away the number three pick of the draft so they could get and Houston's first round pick next year, and they have their own first round pick next year and the ability to trade Kyler at some point, the Cardinals will be able to get one of the top two quarterbacks in this draft class and maybe Marvin Harrison Junior and have an additional first round pick from a potential Kyler trade. This season's gonna stink. It will set the table for the next decade of Cardinal football. If they're smart. San Francisco, what you know, you're gonna be really good as always. You have. You have two through fifty three is good of a roster in the league. You're gonna have one of the best defenses in football. You're gonna have when he's healthy, a great running game, great receivers. What you hope is that what we saw from brock Purty last year was not a mirage, that it continues on this trajectory, and that all of a sudden that you are once again a legitimate Super Bowl contender. What you fear is that brock Perty who was physically limited already now coming off major elbow surgery, that he is not the guy that he looked like for two months last year, and Stead he's the guy that was the last pick of the draft, And all of a sudden you have already given up on Trey Lance. Sam Darnold's the only quarterback there, and once again we are all left saying, man, if the Niners had a real quarterback, they'd be dynamic. That's what you fear. And then lastly, in the NFC Seattle, what you know is that you crushed the draft last year. You had rookie tackles. One of them was awesome, the other and played well fifth or sixth round corner. That's dynamic. That you have all these young players that Pete Carroll is molding and that should only be better. What you hope is that what we saw from Gino last year was not a mirage. And with those weapons and win healthy, you get those running backs back. But DK and Locket and your running backs that you've spent consecutive second round picks on, and Geno leading the NFC in touchdown passes last year, that you can actually not just be a wow shock the Seahawks made the playoffs but maybe won the division. What you fear is that Geno regresses to the player that he was a year before, and that this team all of a sudden has some of the struggles offensively that people expected them to have last season. All right, that's the NFC. That was hard, that was longer than I thought. So you know what, let's do this. I'm gonna I'm gonna kind of change up the idea here. Let's now do the rest of the A block as quickly as we can, and then to start the B block, the next segment will do the AFC. So there's the there's the NFC done on the team's won through sixteen every division. We can now get to your portion of the show and we'll make it. And then in the start the B block will do.
Speaker 4: The AFC as long as I guess.
Speaker 3: No, it started at thirty, we did, and so it took twenty minutes to go through. It took twenty minutes to go through half the league. Okay, all right, do you or what's our first topic or second topic of the show.
Speaker 4: The New Hard Knocks debuted and got another IMDb credit.
Speaker 3: Yeah I did. I mean they used me right off the top of the show. Evidently it's true.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, Evidently, I'm sure you have seen it.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen it yet. I actually haven't seen it yet, but go ahead.
Speaker 4: Aaron Rodgers look like a hero, not a villain. But we all heard and saw out saw out of Green Bay the past few years. What a diva he was. What's a change of scenery really all this guy needed.
Speaker 3: It's possible. But here's the thing on that, because I know a lot of people's opinion is man an angry Aaron Rodgers, a motivated Aaron Rodgers, or a happy Aaron Rodgers. That's what made That's why they're gonna He's gonna be great again. If that's true, that is such a stinging indictment of Aaron Rodgers football character. If it's true that he was a player that was trailing off and then saw Jordan Love get drafted and that's what motivated him to win back to back MVPs. He always had it in him. But he had to be angry, and then he got the big new contract and got complacent, but then the Packers wanted to move on from him, and now he's angry again. He's gonna be awesome. That is, it would be somewhat remarkable, but it also, to me, would be a huge blemish on his resume. The guy. Just how good he is has to do with how slighted or insulted he feels, and so I don't think that's what it is. I do think he's happier now, but I also think he's almost forty, coming off an injury, coming off his worst season. I don't think he's going to be great. You have a follow up on Rodgers.
Speaker 4: If Rogers left Green Bay years ago, how differently would we all view him.
Speaker 3: Well, the idea there is if he had more postseason success, and yes, the Packers at times I think didn't necessarily surround him with as many weapons as you would like to see a great player surrounded with. But he did have DeVante Adams. It's not like he was stuck with the Cleveland Browns, some terrible franchise, and a lot of their postseason failed had to do with him not coming up big in the biggest spots, So I don't maybe we'd view him more favorably, or maybe we'd view him the exact same.
Speaker 4: All right, next, Okay, it's the time of the year where all the headlines are about teams bright futures. There's not a shed of a shred of bad news across the league except in Dallas. Dak can't stop throwing interceptions in a make or break year. If the Cowboys fail to make a deep playoff run this year, will it all fall on Dak?
Speaker 3: I gotta see how it happens. I mean, my big concern with the Cowboys is McCarthy at end of games. I think Dak has just vacillated from overrated, underrated, and never properly rated. Throughout his career. Dak Prescott is somewhere from the sixth best to the tenth best quarterback in football. It's just undeniable that that's where he is. Like if you and it is basically impossible to make a list of ten quarterbacks, the top ten quarterbacks in the league and not have Dak on it, because if you have Mahomes Burrow, the Prince, Jalen Hurts, Josh Allen say All five of those guys are clear cut better than him. The next group of quarterbacks, even if you say Rogers is better than him, Lamar is better than him, justin Herbert's better than him, that's eight. For him not to be top ten, we would need two more guys. So who are you gonna say, kirk Cousins. You can't say Dak's lack of playoff success knocks him out of the top ten. But Kirk Cousins is there. You want to put Stafford there, maybe, but Stafford now coming off an injury, Tua, We've never seen two in the postseason, like, Dak's right there. And if Dak has a really good year, he can leap ahead of Rogers. If Rogers has another down year Lamar. If Lamar is another down year, Herbert who has no playoff success, if that's what you're holding against him, so the I think Dak is more likely this season to raising people's eyes as far as his standing than to fall in people's eyes. And I think the interceptions last year were an aberration. He has always been a quarterback that took care of the football. That has not been his problem. I don't think all of a sudden he's at this stage of his career, just is going to become a super turnover prone player.
Speaker 4: All right, Next, Chiefs GM and a fan of the show, Brett Veach said, Chris Jones deserves a big contract. The Chiefs have never had a top ten defense during the Mahomes eradde, the Chiefs even need defense as long as they have Mahomes.
Speaker 3: Well, if they want to rip off the dynasty that I'm talking about here, listen, dynasty's in the NFL modern NFL history. The Steelers in the seventies led by their defense. If you want to call the Niners in the nineties or in the eighties, pardon me. The San Francisco forty nine Ers in the decade of the nineteen eighties allowed the fewest points of any team in the league. So they over the course of that decade when they won four Super Bowls, they had the number one defense. The Cowboys in the nineties, yes they had the triplets. They also year in year out had a top five defense. The Patriots obviously, certainly their first three Super Bowls they were led by their defense, and then their last three Super Bowls they were led by their offense. But they had top ten and usually top five defenses. The Chiefs are trying to do something that's nevern done in the NFL, which is rip off a dynasty with a below average for get great a below average defense. I don't know that that is unrealistic, but not impossible for this Chiefs team to be the team I know it can be. They don't need to have a top five defense. They need to have a round a league average defense. And if, if, and when Chris Jones is back, and I think he'll be back, I believe they can have a top ten defense for the first time in the Mahomes era. And if this Chiefs team has a top ten defense and they stay healthy, they absolutely forget. When the win the Super Bowl, they can go undefeated. I one thousand percent believe that the Chiefs defenses have turned on at times in the postseason, but they also some of their most epic victories the Divisional round against the Bills. The defense is in order to be found this last Super Bowl, now last Super Bowl, the defense made the play of the game, the scoop and score by Nick Bolton, but that was kind of an unforced error by Jalen Hurts. I mean, the Chiefs needed thirty eight points to win the game. So all right, So that's there's the A block is gonna nice meaty thirty minute opening segment. We'll do the AFC all sixteen teams. What we know, what's your hope, what's your fear? Will do that next and play a game of this or that before we take your questions in the sea block. It's all next. What's right?
Speaker 6: Hey there, Ryan Reynolds here, it's a new year, and you know what that means. No, not the diet resolutions, a way for us all to try and do a little bit better than we did last year. And my resolution, unlike Big wireless, is to not be a raging and raise the price of wireless on you every chance I get. Give it a try at midmobile dot com slash Switch.
Speaker 5: Forty five dollars up front payment required equivalent to fifteen dollars per month new customers on first three month plan only, taxes and vs extra speeds lower above forty gigabytes on unlimited cementtmobile dot com for details.
Speaker 3: Welcome back in episode one seventy one What's Right with Nick Wright and listen My Life Moves Fast two shows Kids at Home. Sometimes I could just use a pick up and Starbucks Ready to Drink Coffee delivers an uplifting boost that helps you tune into the moments that matter wherever you are. Bottled Frappuccino Chilled coffee drink is inspired by Starbucks cafe favorites and comes in four delicious flavors Mocha, Vanilla, caramel, and coffee. Today's is Vanilla. I like to start my day with a coffee, especially when I'm recording a new episode of What's Right. My go to is Starbucks Ready to Drink Coffee for that uplifting boost I need to conquer the day. You gotta love the range of Starbucks Ready to Drink coffee. Whether I want to grab a Starbucks Rappacino chilled coffee drink or a Nitro cold brew, there's so many good choices for whatever mood I'm in. Starbucks Ready for right now. Shot the full lineup online or in stores wherever you buy your groceries. All right, so we're gonna slightly change what the plan is for today. We'll get to this or that in a moment, but we started today's show by doing what you know, what you hope, what you fear for all sixteen NFC teams. We will do the AFC teams. Now again, I'm just reading them down the list as they're listed on the NFL standings page, and everyone zero and zero and so I don't know if it's it's not alphabetical, it doesn't seem but doesn't matter. So to the AFC East, we will start with the Buffalo Bills. What you know, much like the Eagles, you know you're going to be at a bare minimum good. You know you're gonna have one of the six or seven highest scoring offenses in football. You know you are going to be one of the toughest teams to beat in the league for anybody. And you know your best, you're gonna look as any team, as good as any team in the league. What you hope is that you can somehow construct a running game without asking Josh Allen to to be your most dynamic runner. That Josh can keep himself out of harm's way in the running game, only do it in critical spots, particularly late in the season, not that it's a really a break glass in case of emergency part of his game instead of a featured part of his game. And you hope that Josh can cut down on those untimely turnovers, particularly red zone turnovers that plagued you last year. What you fear is that another year removed from Brian Dable, that Josh Allen is going to further regress to the turnover mistake prone player he was early in his career, That the Stefan Diggs drama carries over into the season, That you miss Leslie Fraser, that Von Miller when he comes back from his ACL is not the guy he was at the beginning of last season when you signed him, and for the first time on this little Mini Bill's era, you're not even the division winners in the AFCs. That's what you fear, Miami Dolphins. What you know is you're gonna be as fast as any team in the league. Your defense will be improved with the addition of Vic Fangio, even though Jalen Ramsey might miss the majority of not the entirety of the season. That Hill and Waddle will cause headaches for defenses all year long. McDaniel's gonna scheme them open, and that you are a very viable postseason You should be a very viable postseason team, if not threat, That's what you know. What you hope is that Tua can stay healthy all year, because when Tua was out there, you had a top five offense in football. What you fear is that Tua suffers another concussion and it's that might end his career, and that once again you're on this quarterback rufe let that even though you had experience with it last year, it was not a good experience. And right now your backup quarterback situation after Tua is Mike White and Skyler Thompson, and that you go into the season with the biggest injury risk in the league at quarterback. It bites you in its submarines. Your second straight year New England. What you hope or sorry, what you know is that you're gonna have a top ten defense. You're going to be incredibly well coached, and your offense is going to make more sense than it did last year because you have a professional offensive coordinator instead of Patricia and Judge figuring it out on the fly. What you hope is that Mac Jones is really awful. Season last year was purely a product of the offensive coordinator situation. That he and Juju and Mike Giseki create instant connections that Mac Jones can get back to the limited but stable quarterback he was as a rookie, that the offensive line can protect him, that Bill O'Brien can scheme some guys open, and that Belichick has one last hurrah in him if you will, as he pursues Don Shula's all time wins record. What you fear is that the issues last year were not just about your coordinator situation. They were also about mac Jones regressing that you didn't add enough weapons of this offseason, that you regret not getting DeAndre Hopkins, and that Belichick's plan of only hiring friends and family who is coaching staff really bites him this year and for the first time since before Tom Brady, since Tom Brady's rookie year, I should say, before Tom Brady took over, you finished dead las in the AFC East AFC North Browns. What you know? You know you have a great running back, maybe the best in the league, certainly short list. And do you see the screen there out here talking tray They're asking if you're still awake. Deora is captivated by this. The Browns. You have maybe the best running back in the league and maybe the best edge rusher in the league. You know that you hope very obviously that Deshaun watson struggles last year were about rust and the fact that he obviously had a lot going on, and that Deshaun Watson this year looks closer to the Deshaun Watson that we saw. Uh That the Deshaun Watson that we saw in Houston and then all of a sudden, him and Amari Cooper, Donovan Buobles, Jones, Nick Chubb. That's a dynamic offense. What you fear is that the Deshaun Watson that you gave a fully guaranteed contract to and three first round picks for is never going to be that player again, and that you are back to being the Browns Pittsburgh. What you know, You're gonna be in almost every game. You're gonna be as well coached as any team in the league. TJ. Watt's gonna kick a lot of ass. You're gonna have overachieving mid round receivers. You know that because you're the Steelers. What you hope is that Kenny Pickett turns out to be worthy of the first round pick, takes the prototypical year one to year two leap, and you are in the mix in that division. What you fear is that Kenny Pickett, in his tiny hands, are not able to handle being asked to do more offensively, that for the fifth or sixth straight year, it would feel like you are very limited at the quarterback position the end of the Big Ben era to right now, and that once again you're stuck in that eight to nine win range. I guess it'd be, yeah, eight or nine win range as Tomlin's never been below five hundred, and you're kind of stuck in neutral. But you're not gonna be terrible. There's no chance you're terrible, Cincinnati. What you know is when Burrow gets back out there, you are going to have a top six passing game. You kept t Higgins, you obviously still have Chase. Burrow's awesome, and you're your passing game and that side of the ball offensively should be very very good. You know that. What you hope is that all the personnel changes on defense don't hurt you too much, Burrow comes back fully healthy from the calf, and you are able to not just win the DESI as you've done the last couple of years, but have a really gaudy regular season where maybe you're playing home playoff games as the Bengals after Round one of the playoffs. Each of the last two years have been on the road the entire time. What you fear is that Burrows cap injury lingers, that the defensive personnel changes make your defense worse, and that a year that really needs to be a seize the moment year because you're probably losing t Higgins after this year, that you're not able to do it. Instead, you take a step backwards and you were a man was the most talent we were going to be able to put around Joe at least in the first seven eight years of his career. Did that window already close on us? And lastly in the AFC North Baltimore, what you know, this team doesn't know all that much. Actually, they have the widest range of potential outcomes. You know you're gonna be well coached because of Harball. You know you're not gonna have a bad defense because you never do, and you have good personnel there. What you hope is that Lamar could have been a better passer all along, or at least last few years. He was being held back by Greg Roman and that system, and that the move to Todd Monkin spending a first round pick on Zay Flowers, signing Odell, all of those giving Lamar that contract, all of those decisions will be vindicated, and you will have the scariest offense in the league because you will have a good passing game to go along with Lamar's one in a lifetime ability as a runner from the quarterback position, and you can go storm and win that division, a division you were in the running for until late last year. Despite Lamar's injury. Cincinnati, you're almost beat in the playoffs, despite playing a backup quarterback. What you fear is that the reason Greg Roman was running the type of offense he was was because Lamar can't take that next step is a passer. All of a sudden, your offense is markedly worse because it doesn't have that diversity of the running game scheme. Lamar is easier to game playing for as a passer because you're not worried as much about the speed option and all the other things Greg Roman was doing in the running game, and that it was a mistake, that putting all these chips on Lamar as a passer was a mistake, and that you take a step backwards. That's what you fear AFC South quickly the Titans. What you know is you'll be and sorry it sounds like a cop out, you'll be well coached. Last year you found you kept fighting. The last few years, you find ways to win games. Last year, obviously, you got derailed by the quarterback injury. What you hope if you're Tennessee is that you can without having a miserable season, you can find a way to transition to Will Levis to give him a real opportunity to see what he has. Like. Ideally, you're winning games defensively and with Derrick Henry, but Tannehill's not playing that well, so you can transition to Levis and get a look at him without having a terrible year. What you fear is this is the year Derrick Henry finally hits a wall. DeAndre Hopkins follows in the line of Randy Moss and Andre Johnson and Julio Jones of all time receivers who have come to Tennessee to do absolutely nothing. And then you really fear that when you look at Levis or Malik willis a different quarterback that you spent a mid round pick on. Sorry, I don't know how I tripped. I just like slipped while sitting in this chair. Doers looking at me funny that they don't have it and you're stuck in quarterback prerogatory the Jags. What you know, you know you're going to have a top ten offense. You know that you have one of the best quarterbacks in football. What you hope is all of that draft capital over the last few years, high picks that you've spent on the defensive side of the ball, that they take a big leap, that Trevor takes another leap under Doug Peterson, and that you are in that division, with that schedule, fighting for the number one seed in the conference. What you fear is that the boost we all expect you get from Calvin Ridley, the fact that he's missed all of last season with suspension. The previous year he missed half the year with injury, that Ridley is not the player that you thought you were getting when you traded for him. You pay paid a premium last offseason in free agency, which is kind of tied your hands as far as flexibility moving forward. Trevor's about to get this big contract. You kind of stay in neutral when nine ten ish games are not a real Super Bowl threat, and all of a sudden you're about to have to pay Trevor fifty five million a year and things get a lot harder. That's what you fear. Now. To the AFC West Denver, what you know, You know you'll be better coach than you were last year. Sean Payton. Even if I'm not as high on him as others are, he obviously was better than Nat Hackett, and obviously the team will make more sense offensively under Sean Payton. What you hope is that the fast majority of Russell wilson struggles last year were due to Nat Hackett and the change his scenery and all of these things, and that Russ can get back to who he was the majority of time in Seattle. What you fear, obviously is that while the game management stuff was on Nat Hackett, the quarterback play was on the quarterback, and that the Russ you saw last year is the rusher getting moving forward. Kansas City Chiefs, what you know, You're gonna win a minimum of twelve games. You're going to have one of the four best offenses in football. You're going to have as good of a chance as anyone to win the Super Bowl. That's what you know. What you hope is that Chris Jones gets to camp at some point in the next couple weeks, one of these young receivers, either Sky Moore or Shay Rice or Justin Ross, who I love, takes a big leap. Kadarius, Tony can stay healthy and you are a juggernaut like you were the last time you were the defending champs, winning your first fifteen games. You went fourteen one before resting Mahomes the final week of the year and then getting back to the Super Bowl where your offensive line was all destroyed. But that's what you hope. What you fear is that Tony stays nicked up, none of the young receivers take a leap, and Kelsey hits a wall. Age wise, I don't think those things are likely, but that would be the fear. Plus you don't get a deal done with Chris Jones, so he's unhappy all year and it's your last year with him. Those would be all of the fears. I don't think any of those are likely. The Raiders, what you know, I mean, I don't know. Man. Raiders are in rough shape. What you know is Davante's awesome I'll give you that. What you hope is that Jimmy G can stay healthy all year, that Jimmy G with Josh McDaniels, with Devonte Adams can be above average passing offense, That the defense finally makes some splash, impact plays like they've struggled in the last few years, and all of a sudden you're alive for the playoffs the way you were two years ago with Carr. What you fear is that Jimmy G gets hurt early, that Josh McDaniels is as bad of a coach as he's appeared to be throughout his head coaching career, and that you are staring another last place AFC West finished dead in the face, but you're not bad enough to get one of those top two picks to draft a quarterback. And then finally the Chargers. What you know, you know you have about as much talent on paper as any team in the conference, that when you're healthy, there is no team in the league you can't beat. That's what you know. What you hope is that Justin Herbert gets back on the trajectory he was on the first couple of years of his career with Kellen Moore, allowing him to be more aggressive down the field early, you know early in drives on first and second down, and that you are finally not snake bitten due to injury. What you fear is you're just a cursed franchise who's always gonna deal with injuries. That Herbert is going to stay in neutral for the third straight year. And this is a big one. That you essentially are at the biggest disadvantage of any team in the league because you play half your games on the road and half your games at a neutral site, because you have no home field advantage, and that is enough of a disadvantage for you to go be a ten win team instead of a twelve thirteen win team like your talent says you should. So there it is, DIORA know what your hope, what you fear? I think we did a bang up job there. That was great. Now let's play a quick game before we get to the listener questions.
Speaker 4: Okay, so we're gonna play a game of this or that? Yeah, sho off a thirty point triple double. Luca and Slovenia face off against Team USA this weekend. You are rooting for your nation or your son.
Speaker 3: You know, what in this one. I'm rooting for my son. I'm rooting for Luca. It would mean so much more for Slovenia and for Luca to win this game. And also, I don't really the Team USA stuff. I care during the Olympics. I don't really care during the off year international competitions. We obviously didn't send like our best NBA players. I'd like to see Luca win it, all right, Next.
Speaker 4: Okay, the Basketball Hall of Fame Enshrine's a new class this weekend. If you've ever picked up a basketball, you make it in. Meanwhile, you aren't letting Derek Henry in the NFL Hall of Fame. The better hall of Fame is football or basketball.
Speaker 3: To be fair, I didn't say Derek Henry's not in. I just said he's not a lock, and it's obviously football. The NBA Hall of Fame is too watered down. It's not even the NBA Hall of Fame. It's the basketball Hall of Fame, so you get credit for college and international. The Pro Football Hall of Fame is the better hall of fame, and it's not even a debate. Next first round.
Speaker 4: Rookie running back by John Robinson is listed third on the depth chart. Reading into early depth charts is essential or hilarious.
Speaker 3: Hilarious. Listen, b Jon Robinson's best player on that team is a rookie. Flatly, he's not gonna be third. It's just like, oh, he's a rookie. He's got to earn his spot. He earned his spot when you took him in the top ten. Guys. They're putting him third on the depth charts is stupid. All right.
Speaker 4: Next, someone famous who often makes ridiculous statements said yesterday, anything not first is second or last. The notorious leader of men who said this was Russell Williams.
Speaker 3: Russell Willis Wilson.
Speaker 4: That's like the third time I've done that. Yeah, our Ricky Bobby.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess it was Russell Wilson. It was a really ridiculous quote. I've read it a couple times. Uh. He said anything not first is second or last. The Broncos would be thrilled to finish second division. You also can make the playoffs finishing second or third. Technically, you make the playoffs finishing last in the division. It's just never happened. It's just it's just a bad quote, all right.
Speaker 4: Next, Okay, gosh, sorry, my iPad glitch. A new game has fully occupied the brains of sports fans for the past few weeks. Even the Vikings are playing them in team meetings. Which one are you better at? Nick's better immaculate grid is NBA or NFL.
Speaker 3: I think this will surprise people. I'm not good at stuff like this. I don't like I if you were to ask me right now, like what number does Trevor Lawrence war I can't tell you. I like can't see it, so like players Jersey numbers and then just like the instant recall of oh, this guy played for multiple teams for some reason. I'm no good at it, like I'm very and it's not because I don't have a good memory. Because I could you ask me who won any Super Bowl or any NBA championship in history. I can tell you, But that's another thing I can't tell you, because like I know who won the nineteen seventy five super Bowl. What I can do is I can go backwards in history year by year by year by year and give you all of it. But I'm no good at the immaculate grid thing.
Speaker 4: I think something that Nick Wright is not good.
Speaker 3: There's plenty of things I'm not good Everybody, take note. No, there's plenty of things you don't think. I think I'm good at everything. There's plenty of things I'm not good at. But this is the type of thing I think people would expect me to be good at. I'm just not good at all. Right next, Okay.
Speaker 4: The last six shows of Taylor Swift's aristour have generated three hundred and twenty million dollars for the Los Angeles economy. Kobe once gave her a jersey, and Taylor gave his daughter the twenty two hat. La seems to have really embraced her. The star more adored in La is Taylor Swift or Lebron Probably Taylor.
Speaker 3: Here's what I well, here's what I find so interesting about the Taylor Swift stuff. And I don't who do you think the biggest musical star in the world is Beyonce. I'm not a Swiss, so okay, so here's the thing I'm not. We've talked about being Swifties and stuff before on the show. I'm not either value nothing against it, but the way, so the Renaissance tour is going on right now as well. They're both obviously massive international tours. Yes, but there is to me like a real too America's thing about do you think the biggest pop star in the world, you know, is it Taylor Swift or is it Beyonce? Because prior to this tour one second, I would have thought everyone was playing for second place to Beyonce. But Taylor's selling out six shows in LA in a row and all these things, and she has like four top ten records right now. Maybe objectively speaking, just raw numbers, maybe she is bigger than Beyonce. But I do think there is a huge either cultural or racial divide on Swift versus Beyonce. Now I think Taylor. I think Beyonce probably has more of a crossover fans than Taylor necessarily does.
Speaker 4: But Taylor is Taylor's more with my generation.
Speaker 3: More so. Taylor's bigger among younger people than Beyonce.
Speaker 4: Now there's kids at my school who like, when I first came to the school, I love Beyonce, and people are like, who's that?
Speaker 2: Man, I don't believe, No, it's It's like it.
Speaker 4: It may be a slightly racial thing in some in some senses, who's Beyonce. I'm like, oh, the one who sings this song? Oh, I know that song, but like I didn't know she's saying that.
Speaker 3: Okay, well maybe so maybe the maybe my age is showing here. And I guess that makes sense because Beyonce's been big for twenty years, but Taylor was big enough. The Kanye thing at the at the Grammy's happened fourteen fifteen years ago, so she's been big for a really long time too. I just find it. I find it fascinating that maybe I just had a blind spot for how massive Tailor Swift was because I thought everyone was playing playing for second place to Beyonce. No matter. I'm not talking about quality and music. I'm talking about any of that. I'm talking about worldwide acclaim.
Speaker 4: I think it's because Beyonce didn't come out with music for a really long time. Oh maybe it made people and that Taylor Swift just kept going.
Speaker 3: And man, they're all hits. She had four top ten do you I'm just say, yeah, that's what I'm saying. I I I again, I don't. I'm not. I don't listen enough music, nor am I sophisticated enough musically to evaluate any of this stuff. I'm simply saying, by the definition of what a hit is she creates hits on a level we have not seen since Michael Jackson. Taylor, you're trying.
Speaker 4: To say that she's the new Michael Jackson, that's what, But that that is something I refuse to listen to.
Speaker 3: So here's the thing though, on that by the.
Speaker 4: Numbers she is, I don't care about I right, but that's what people genuinely going around being like Taylor Swift is the new.
Speaker 3: But here's the thing that opinions are subjective. The numbers that she does, as far as what her songs chart, the the ticket sales arenas all this stuff. She I guess she is bigger than Beyonce, but that is just unfathomable to me. And but it's just objectively true. And as far as the numbers, if we are just talking about like most successful musical acts ever, the Beatles, Michael Jackson, Taylor Swift appear to be I know, but it's crazy, but it's true. Man, Like they appear to be three of the Mountain. Like I think she has passed the Rolling Stones.
Speaker 4: I like won't even hear it, but it's but I know I will not even what I'm telling.
Speaker 3: You is it's just objective fact it's fascinating to me.
Speaker 4: Is a better perform Taylor Swift can't even date.
Speaker 3: Okay, careful, now we're gonna I don't need a contact by these.
Speaker 4: No, I'm pretty sure this is like a known thing with all of her fans. Taylor Swift can't dance and Beyonce's performance.
Speaker 3: I agree, Listen, Dior, I just like I agree with you one hundred on like preference and quality, all of it. But it is a phenomenon what this woman is doing, and I think she is the biggest pop star in the world. It's it's fascinating to me. We answer your listener questions. Next we'll try.
Speaker 7: This episode is brought to you by all State. Some people just know they could save hundreds on car insurance by checking all State first. Like you know, to check the date of the Big Game first before you accidentally buy tickets on your twentieth wedding anniversary and have to spend the next twenty years of your marriage making up for it. Yeah, checking first is smart, So check all State first for a quote that could save you hundreds. In good hands with All States savings, very terms apply All State Fire and Casualty Insurance Company and affiliates, Northbrook, Illinois.
Speaker 4: Welcome Back, Episode one seventy one. We're gonna answer your fan questions. Glass on You in twenty five said petition for Nick to do Immaculate Grid on air as a segment moving forward.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you I don't think.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 3: First of all, I don't think it'd be good content. Second of all, I don't think i'd be that good at it. And I'm not really into like publicly doing things i'm not excellent at. It's not my thing, Like, Hey, here's this thing that I know i'm not great at, let me do it in front of thousands of people. That doesn't sound fun, all right?
Speaker 4: Next, FtF said, Russ has looked really good in training camp. So if Russ has a really good outing on Friday in the preseason, would you be more confident in him?
Speaker 3: No, I need to see it. And I just I didn't think Russ looked good his final year in Seattle. I know some of the numbers were good, he didn't look like the same player, and I think that Russ as a top an above average quarterback in this league. I think that's done, so I will need to see it for an extended period in the regular season for me to believe it.
Speaker 4: Next, Ethan Cross asked, do you think the Steelers are getting disrespectful by having the worst odds to win the AFC North.
Speaker 3: Well, I think they should have worse odds than Cincinnati or Baltimore. I don't think they should have worse odds than Cleveland. But it's not the Steelers who that is disrespecting. It's Kenny Pickett. That's just Vegas flat Lee and I guess the general public not believing in Kenny Pickett. It's as simple as that.
Speaker 4: Next phase ninety one said, Hey, Nick, Prague viewer getting married in about ten days and a response would be the best gift. If you weren't in the US, what culture slash reson region would you choose to immerse yourself in sports wise?
Speaker 3: Oh that's it. Oh listen, by the way, shout out to Prague, Shout out to the Czech Republic. I'm going throughout northern Europe next week, going to make it to the Czech Republic. I'm going first time in any of these places for me. I'm going to Amsterdam, Cologne, Germany, Brussels, and then Paris over the next ten days. After you know we leave tomorrow, me, my wife, and our August travel partners, which are her grandparents who are ninety three and ninety. Her granddad hosted the show with me one time, but my answer is, what what do you are? He did, Yeah, back when we were doing at home, back when the podcast was at home. Yeah, granddaddy did a segment with me. I think I have to watch the so but my answer to that is European football, European soccer, and the only place I've there are two places I've been that I think I could actually live full time, uh, outside of the US, and that's Barcelona and Rome. I and maybe just Barcelona, maybe Rome, but definitely Barcelona. And I could definitely get into Spanish football. Spanish soccer. I like it already, But I the I think the Caribbean is beautiful, but I couldn't live there is not It's just not enough to do and not enough food options. If I'm being totally honest, I think my favorite thing about living in New York City is the food. But I I I think I would just just dive headfirst into European soccer because it's so passionate and I've been to a game and it's so good. But I but I listen. I'm traveling to a whole areas of Europe that I've never been. I haven't traveled as much as I would like to have up to this point in my life. But I'm I'm trying to make up for it now. So that that's my answer. Phase and shout out people say Czech Republic is beautiful. All right, that's that'll. That'll do it for today's show. We are off next week. We're not gonna ask that last one. We're off next week and we the TV Show is off next week as well. TV show is also off tomorrow on the air today at three o'clock. Then the next time you guys will see me will be a week from Monday on First Things First. The next time you'll see Diora and I will be a week from Tuesday right here at Trentage for What's right, See you guys then,