Speaker 1: Welcome to the Therapy for Black Girls podcast, a weekly conversation about mental health, personal development, and all the small decisions we can make to become the best possible versions of ourselves. I'm your host, Dr. Joy Harden-Bradford, a licensed psychologist in Atlanta, Georgia. For more information or to find a therapist in your area, visit our website at therapyforblackgirls.com. While I hope you love listening to and learning from the podcast, it is not meant to be a substitute for a relationship with a licensed mental health professional.
Speaker 2: Hey, y'all.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much for joining me for session 478 of the Therapy for Black Girls podcast. Today, I'm sitting back down with Dr. Russell Ledet for the final installment of our Surviving Middle School series. He's answering all of the questions from our CBG community. But first, a quick word from our sponsors. From raising a middle schooler in a tech-driven world to truly understanding what's behind the ups and downs of this stage of life, We've covered so much throughout our Surviving Middle School series. We've talked about friendships and fitting in, the growing influence of peers, social media, big feelings, and the sometimes tricky shift towards independence. Today, we're wrapping up the series with a Q & A featuring Dr. Russell Lede, who you may remember from the previous episode of this series. We asked you, our TBG listeners, to submit your questions about Surviving Middle School. And I even tapped my own group chat to find out what parents really wanted to know. In my conversation with Dr. Lede, we dig into some of the questions that come up again and again during these years. How can we help kids build healthy friendships while navigating the pressure to fit in? When should parents be concerned if their child prefers to be alone? How do we support kids through bullying, peer pressure, and the influence of social media while still giving them room to become independent? Throughout our conversation, Dr. Lede shares advice and lessons learned around this unique stage of life, and I'm excited for you to hear his perspective. Press play and let's get into it. Well, thank you so much for joining us again, Dr.
Speaker 2: Ledeck. Yeah, I'm so excited to be here, Dr. Joy. Thank you for inviting me into the space again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so people heard you on the podcast. There were all kinds of follow-up questions. My group chat had questions. So I will get right into it so that we can cover as many as possible. So I first want to start by talking more about friendships because we know that this is a really big thing that kids are navigating during this age. So how do we help kids navigate the desire to be liked and to fit in?
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is one of my favorite topics. So I'm glad you're starting off with this one. First, I want to conceptualize something for parents. I've heard some parents like criticize their children for wanting to belong. And sometimes they frame it as like weakness or like vanity, but actually it's a developmental need.
Speaker 2: Like it's something that you need during your teenage years.
Speaker 3: The goal is not necessarily to fit in. The goal is also not to fit out. So I like to do something real quick. I like to distinguish these two words that we use all the time. Actually it's three words, but two phrases. There's belonging and which is this, like you could think of belonging as I can be myself and I can still be accepted. And then there's fitting in. Fitting in says I have to change who I am in order to avoid rejection. So belonging and fitting in are not the exact same thing. You want to skew your kids towards figuring out where they belong as opposed to them trying to fit in. Now there's going to be some gray areas there. Because maybe there are some parts of them that need to grow. And maybe what we perceive as them fitting in is them actually growing. And I think the goal in all of this is not to convince your children that they should not.
Speaker 2: Care about what other people think. That's unrealistic.
Speaker 3: What we want them to do is to care without allowing other people's opinions to completely.
Speaker 2: Define who they are. So I like to..
Speaker 3: Ask parents to do something that allows the child to build their identity that doesn't focus on popularity. So like, what are things that you're good at? What matters to you? Like, what is something that's really important to you? Where do you feel like you get to be yourself the most? And then my favorite question I like to have parents to ask is, what makes you feel comfortable Instead of your friends always trying to figure out if there's something that needs to be fixed by you. And the other piece of this, aside from figuring out the child's identity outside of popularity, is curiosity on the part of the parents. So instead of criticizing the child for building friendships and trying to figure out social confidence, one thing parents can do is be curious. Like genuinely just be like curious George. Like you just asking questions because... Either you want to confirm your assumptions or you want to correct your assumptions, or you just want to understand better what the child is thinking about this thing from. So questions I like to tell parents that they can ask their kids is, how do you feel after you spend time with so-and-so? How do you feel after you spend time with that? Are you able to disagree with that person and you all can still be friends? Are there times when they pressure you to do something that you have no interest in doing whatsoever? And then this question around identity comes back around when you are curious and you say, well, do you feel like you could just be yourself around them?
Speaker 2: And if they say yes, then you say, oh, that might be a pretty good friend.
Speaker 3: But also have them define what they mean by when they say, I can be myself.
Speaker 2: Because I can be.
Speaker 3: Myself can be them being a version of themselves that doesn't align with the family values or who you're hoping that they define themselves to become.
Speaker 2: And you know it can lead to some pretty deleterious behaviors.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for this, Dr.
Speaker 2: Lede.
Speaker 1: And I appreciate you talking about the idea of don't worry about other people's opinions being unrealistic. Because even as adults, we worry about other people's opinions, right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like, oh, you don't worry about what they think. What are you talking about? You care about what other people think right now.
Speaker 3: I mean, you don't want it to be so much so that it defines who you are. But what other people think actually matters, like the period of push and pull with the teenager, right, is a period where you're asking your child to accept feedback. And in asking them to accept feedback, you're also asking them to consider someone else's opinion.
Speaker 2: So if that's the case, then they probably.
Speaker 3: Do need to care about what other people think because you're going to ask them to care about what you think. But then some parents may elevate themselves and say, well, but I'm the parent. And I'm like, you're still another person. You know, so, yeah.
Speaker 1: So related to this, what if my child doesn't have any desire to actually be a part of social relationships? Like they're maybe identify as a loner and don't actually prefer to hang around people. Is that a concern?
Speaker 3: It can be when it's like isolation for extended periods of time.
Speaker 2: For sure, it can be concerning.
Speaker 3: I think more often than not, children are, well, there's a couple of different things that can come with that that I want to preface. One is how much time are they spending on the internet? Because these days, a lot of kids will say, oh, I have a lot of friends. And you're like, so who are your friends? And they're like, oh, my friends are on the internet. These are people they've never met before. These are people who may be adults. These are people who may be, like, there's a lot more to that. So if your kid is isolating and spending a lot of time on the internet, I would be quite concerned. The other thing is too, kids will oftentimes develop friendships with people who share their interests. And we have to take into account temperaments. The three main temperaments that we always talk about is easy, difficult, and slow to warm, right? Like those are kind of the three big buckets. Easy kiddos tend to be easier to make friends. Difficult kids, it takes quite a while. And then the slow to warm kids, you kind of see them start off very slow and then they just..
Speaker 2: Move on yet. Right.
Speaker 3: They may have had the temperament of a difficult child. And so what that means is, is that longer established relationships may be more helpful for them. And so keeping them in contact with kids as they've been around for a while. Some kids like a multiplicity of friends. Some kids are like, I just like a small circle. My same friends.
Speaker 2: I don't want a whole bunch of new friends.
Speaker 3: And both of those things are okay because you see that into adulthood as well. And so I think you would have to know the temperament and strengths of your child.
Speaker 2: What are their interests?
Speaker 3: Which is why I'll go back to a question that I phrased in the first segment of the questions, which was like, how curious are you?
Speaker 2: Like how genuinely curious are you?
Speaker 3: I'm not talking about like curious so that you could get to a point that you want to make. I mean, like you genuinely are like, I just want to know. I don't have much of an opinion about it. I just want to know. And then I want to take what this child tells me at face value and respond to that as opposed to what I assume it to be. I think one of the things that I always try to encourage parents to do is make the least amount of assumptions as possible.
Speaker 2: Ask questions like kids actually like questions. They get to answer it in a way that makes sense to them. and you get to learn something about them.
Speaker 3: Same way you and your spouse continue to ask each other questions to learn more about each other as you evolve. Children are the exact same way. They're evolving, they're developing, they're growing. Ask questions because maybe what they liked before, they don't like anymore. I look at my daughter now, she's eight years old and she's starting to phase out of the Lilo and Stitch phase which is crazy for me because I spent so much time with Lilo and Stitch, but I'm also okay with it. And I'm like, hey, what's the new thing that you like? And now it's the Dogman books. Like she's big into the whole like Dogman book thing, right? And so I'm just like, okay, all right. So now we're in the Dogman book phase and we are probably moving out of Lilo and Stitch phase. So what that means is that like, maybe I'll build her an activity to do that's around Dogman.
Speaker 2: And it's not around Lilo and Stitch.
Speaker 3: Whereas previously I would have built her like math problems and reading comprehension problems that were associated with Levo and Stitch. Now we got to move her under the dogman because my goal is to keep her interest. Same thing happens during the adolescent years. Figure out what they're interested in and then try to center activities and things around that.
Speaker 1: That's helpful. Thank you. Our next question, how can we support kids who we feel like may be being picked on or bullied?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So there's some things I have to say before I answer this question. I think If you are a parent who did not grow up with emotional safety, then this very well may be difficult for you to do because you're not familiar with it. It's not necessarily that it's not something that you don't want or something that you don't even want for your child.
Speaker 2: You just are simply not familiar with it. So there may be challenges with this.
Speaker 3: I would tell parents to start off by believing the emotional experience of the child. You don't even need to know every factual detail of what happened. You need to believe the emotional experience of the child. No questions asked. They come to you and telling you about being bullied, being picked on, stuff like that. You got to believe their emotional experience, how it's making them feel. Even if you don't know all the factual details, the emotional component, they're not lying to you about that. And there are things that will sometimes minimize that. unhealthy things that we can say and stuff like just ignore it they're only joking oh one i hate is you need to toughen up i hate hearing that one and the reference point of their own childhood oh that happened to me when i was young it's like first of all this is your child not your childhood let's just start there stop using you as a reference for this child because your child is not you And I need you to be okay with the fact that your child is not you.
Speaker 2: They're not even an emulation of you.
Speaker 3: So I think there are some healthier openings that we can use with our children. I'm glad you told me about this. I'm excited that you told me about this. I appreciate you trusting me with what's going on. Another one to validate their feelings is you didn't deserve that. Like you don't deserve that because then it helps them to establish some sense of self. Like, oh, yeah, I don't think I deserve this. And now I'm glad that the leader in my home doesn't think that I deserve this. And then ask about some of the details. Like, has this happened more than once? Do you feel safe going to school? What is it that I can do to help you in this moment versus what can I do to help you when it comes down to school? And then there's the clarifying component and not in a like, I told you, I knew that's what was going on. No, I don't know how helpful that's going to be. But you can clarify what actually happened, have them do some storytelling. Maybe they need to draw it out. Maybe they need to tell you a little bit of it, take a break and then come back and tell you some more because they may be reliving it.
Speaker 2: And that may be difficult for them to do. Is this simply just some conflict? Is this teasing? Is this them being rejected? Is this fight bullying?
Speaker 3: Because all of those things I just named, whether it's conflict, teasing, rejection, bullying, or physical harm, all of those things are painful. And all of those things being painful doesn't mean that they all require the same intervention. The conflict may require your child learning about conflict. there's kind of an offshoot there where it's like, how do you all handle conflict at home? If you just shut down the conversation as a parent and say, no, we're just not talking about this anymore. Okay, well, then your child probably will not be able to do a good job when it comes down to resolving conflict because they didn't get to practice at home. If it comes down to teasing, obviously you could take the approach of, well, figure out a joke to tell them back to kind of keep the banter going if it's just something funny and it's harmless or something like that. But if it's genuinely to the point where it's like rejection and bullying and stuff like that, okay, how do we want to address this? Do we want to have a conference with the teacher? Do I have a close enough relationship with the parent where I can go and talk to them? Am I at a place where I can emotionally have this conversation safely? Or do I need to work through some stuff? And this is where I'm going to challenge a lot of parents because for the parents who still institute corporal punishment, I'm like, everybody says like, don't touch my baby.
Speaker 2: And then you do. I'm like, it's so confusing.
Speaker 3: I'm like, this is counterintuitive all by itself and it's something to sit with for a lot of parents because it's like this is counterintuitive you've already helped your child to realize that it's okay for somebody to physically harm them but then they have to clarify who exactly can do it that's a very confusing thing to do for a child any child even young teenagers that's just complicated but and then I think the way you have these conversations needs to be with a collaborative tone it needs to always be with a let's figure this out together And then I think there are some warning signs that.
Speaker 2: Will require even more intervention.
Speaker 3: Like if your child is like not sleeping at night, avoiding school, their grades are starting to go down. They have injuries now that nobody can explain. They're always complaining of like physical ailments. And you're like, well, where did that come from? Like when you take their clothes off and you see bruises and stuff, okay, you need to intervene immediately. Right. And so I think it depends on the degree of it. But I think our job as parents is to simultaneously make our children more resilient, but also feel safe. Both of those things need to happen at the same time.
Speaker 1: And, you know, I can imagine, Dr. Lede, like if you have this collaborative approach with your kid and say like, OK, if the decision is made to talk with the family and like the parents, I can imagine teens being like, no, that's going to be embarrassing. But if it does require that level of intervention, like what might make that a little bit more acceptable to a teen or a preteen that this is how you feel like it needs to happen?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dr. Joy, this is an amazing question.
Speaker 3: I think the follow up here is let's have a conversation about what's embarrassing about it. Let's like tell me what's embarrassing about it to you. You know, tell me what's going to happen as a function of someone thinking that you're protecting yourself.
Speaker 2: And how are you conceptualizing this?
Speaker 3: Are you conceptualizing this as this is some component of my persona to my colleagues?
Speaker 2: Or are you conceptualizing this as I need to protect myself?
Speaker 3: Because one of those things is going to go more towards fitting in. The other one is going to go more towards belonging. I don't want you around people who will physically harm you or even emotionally harm you. And it doesn't sound like you want to be around people who emotionally harm you. Because that's why we're having this conversation right now. And kids can sometimes be in conflict. They, on one hand, they want these quote unquote friends, but then they realize that like, oh, some of these friendships are harmful, but I don't know how to untether myself from these things, which is a process.
Speaker 2: Like, and it's not a linear process.
Speaker 3: Like it literally is a work in progress for the parents and the child. And the best thing in the world is, is the fact that your child is even discussing this with you. Because they could choose to not have this conversation with you at all. They could just be going through this thing on their own. You know nothing about it. They don't talk to you about it. They act like everything is fine. They minimize it until they can't minimize it anymore.
Speaker 2: And so..
Speaker 3: You know, like I said, the goal is, yes, indeed, to make your child more resilient is not to rescue them from everything, but at the same time is to ensure that your child is physically and emotionally safe.
Speaker 2: And that safety starts at home. That's helpful.
Speaker 1: Thank you for that. So I want to move on to our next set of questions that's really more about kind of like how do we continue to help them navigate this independence and maybe resilience that you're talking about. How can parents keep the lines of communication open as kids become more influenced by their friends and their social environment?
Speaker 2: Oh, man.
Speaker 3: You know, my favorite thing to tell parents is, can your children just talk to you? I remember doing this content, which I thought was just like pretty basic. And then my daughter was like, no, dad, like I have. friends who watched this and were like, yes, I wish I could tell my parents that. And one day I was telling my daughter, I was like, I'm a doctor. My job is to heal. And because my job is to heal, anytime I hear of a problem, I have to stop myself. Because it's so bad, I just want to fix it for you. And there are some things that it's not my job to fix it for you. It's my job to be there whether you fall or you succeed at it. It's a safe thing that you need to figure out how to navigate on your own. I'm giving you as many tools as I possibly can.
Speaker 2: You got to figure this one out. Let me know if you need my help. She's like, yeah, that is helpful.
Speaker 3: And then she was like, yeah, sometimes when I'm talking to you, I just want you to like, just vibe with me.
Speaker 2: Just listen.
Speaker 3: Just like, just vibe it out with me. Like, yeah, come live in my world for a little bit. And then sometimes I genuinely need your advice. She was like, and even when I get your advice, sometimes I'm not going to take it. And I was like, that's real. I was like, I can appreciate you saying that out loud.
Speaker 2: And I think my point to saying that.
Speaker 3: Out loud is, yeah, as parents, sometimes maybe we fix a little bit too much.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And so they never learned how to fix some things on their own. And I've learned to just be like a couch warrior. I've learned to just be like, yeah, just come, like, let's just grab an ice cream, just sit on the couch and just chit chat.
Speaker 2: Like I'm one of the little home girls. Like just tell me, tell dad for real. What? They said, I know they didn't say that. What they had on today? Like just, and just like, And she'll tell me stuff. I think.
Speaker 3: When the idea of the parent is, I got to fix it. I got to fix it. I got to tell you what you need to do. Then it's like, when do they learn? When do they learn? And my other piece of advice for this, which I think for every audience I've ever had is always, they're like, I can see that one is nobody's listening to your TED talks.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Nobody is listening to your TED Talks. And stop interrupting these babies.
Speaker 2: Be quiet. Just be quiet. Be quiet.
Speaker 3: You want these kids to talk to you, but you talk too much. You need somebody to talk to that won't interrupt you. So let them have you as the person that they can talk to and not be interrupted. Don't interrupt them. Put some tape on your mouth and like put a notepad in your hand and write down, but they talk too long.
Speaker 2: I know. Let them talk.
Speaker 3: Would you rather them talk to you? Who would you like to replace you with for them to talk to? If you feel like they talk too much, who do you want to put in your place and let them have this conversation? Do you want them to put another teenager who generates dumb ideas at the exact same rate.
Speaker 2: That they do? No. All right, then sit down and listen. And thank God that they listening, they talking to you. Because they could not be talking to you and they can be talking to somebody else. And the problem is that not a lot of parents know how to listen. They don't know how to actively listen. They don't know how to ask questions from a place of curiosity as opposed to correctional.
Speaker 3: They're like, oh, let me, oh, so what did they do? Okay, so this is what you need to do. I didn't even ask you for your advice. I just asked you to listen. Like all I asked you to do was to be a listening ear for me. And now I know my voice is respected at home. My voice is valued at home. And I have someone that I can go to about these nuanced relationship-based things that I have going.
Speaker 2: On in school.
Speaker 3: And maybe you're going to give me some advice and maybe you're not going to give me some advice, but in either case, you're going to listen.
Speaker 1: More from our conversation after the break. You know, Dr. Lede, I would imagine that sometimes that some people listening to this might feel like this is too close to being one of their little friends, right? Like you kind of kiki-ing with them on the couch feels like a, like, is that a boundary issue? Like, how do they know that I am their parent versus one of their little friends?
Speaker 3: The goal is to listen to them. The goal is not to agree with what they're saying. Their friends may very well just go along with everything that they say. No, that's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that you can't even practice listening. If you're in the middle of a conversation with a teen and you are saying they're talking too much, you're not even thinking about the right thing. Your mind is not even in the right frame of reference. This is not about being your child's friend. This is about being your child's listening ear. I'm going to ask this exact same question. The child wants to have the conversation, right? Who are you willing to replace yourself with for them to have this conversation that they're going to have no matter what? Wouldn't you rather it be you? And I always tell parents, act like you've been here before. Act like this ain't your first time. Half of what they're talking about, they ain't even going to do. It's the same thing with parents. I'm taking away this and that and two days later.
Speaker 2: Like, come on, man. The same thing with TED Talks.
Speaker 3: I ask any parent, OK, you give a TED Talk. The TED Talk lasts for an hour. The kid may get in five seconds. They may get in five words in an hour long TED Talk. If I asked you, what did you just finish talking about? Let me go back and look at the camera. And if you went back and looked at what you just finished talking about, you ain't nothing linear about that. Nobody can keep track of what you're talking about right now. And so to these parents who talk about, I'm not their little friend. No, you are not their little friend, but you can be their nurturing parent. I always say you can be firm and warm at the exact same time. You can have boundaries and still hug your child. You can have a collaborative tone and still put in consequence. All these things do not have to be mutually exclusive. I mean, I know where a lot of this comes from, this idea of I'm not their little friend.
Speaker 2: No, you are not their friend. No, you are not their friend, but you should be their listening ear. And I will also say this, maybe you didn't experience that.
Speaker 3: But if you're listening to this podcast and you have the luxury of of access to Dr.
Speaker 2: Joy, Dr.
Speaker 3: RJ, you got access to things that maybe your parents, I'm pretty confident your parents did not have access to. Right.
Speaker 2: Because I don't think there's too many of me that have come up out of the soil. I'm just saying.
Speaker 3: And so you have a luxury that your parents did not have. And I'm sitting here telling you that your children want you to listen to them. Because I know this because when they come in the office to talk to me, I may say 10 words, Dr.
Speaker 2: Joy. And them kids be sitting there like, they just keep going. They just keep on going. And they say everything they thinking. And they like, man, it's so good to be around somebody who's actually listening. Yeah. And I understand that there's this temporality component and the parents feel like time is moving. I got to hurry up and fix this now because they don't be an adult soon.
Speaker 3: Yes, they will be an adult soon. But maybe we work on goals and aspirations and all those other things on a different day. And today you just listen. Today, they just know, oh, my mama and my daddy are just.
Speaker 2: Listening to me.
Speaker 3: They can hear me. Because they are going to want me to hear them later. And as I talked about in the last episode. Communication is one of. the things that is learned best through modeling and so if you're not a good listener don't expect your child to be a good listener.
Speaker 2: Because their voice is not valued and.
Speaker 3: This whole idea of do as i say don't do as i do thing it doesn't really work out very well i'm gonna just keep it real with you we know that already so yeah.
Speaker 1: So you already talked a little bit on this episode and on our previous episode about some of the dumb decisions.
Speaker 2: That teens and tweens are making, right?
Speaker 1: That's kind of like par for the course. Is there a way that we can help them to slow down and maybe make better decisions without just kind of jumping to follow what everybody else is doing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let them practice at home. Like, when do they practice at home? I use the excuse of... I will let my daughter make bad financial decisions at home.
Speaker 3: And then let her learn from it. Like, I need you to make some bad decisions at home. I'm not coming down on you every time you make a bad decision because I'm going to make a bad decision. And then nobody going to come down on me about it. And I'm not expecting a perfect child. I'm expecting a growing child. And I need you to grow from your mistakes. I don't need you to just grow from my experience. I don't need you to just grow from what I've been through.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: Some things, for sure, you don't have to touch the stove to know that it's hot. But in the case that you do touch the stove and that it's hot, I'm going to put some butter on it. And then you're going to know next time, don't touch it. And I'm not going to speak to you for touching the stove. No, we're going to put some butter on it and you're going to know next time, oh, yeah. And the way I think about it is like, When you go into an emergency department there's a big emergency right you don't want a trauma bay where the head doctor's in there is like frantic right you want somebody who's calm and chaos which goes back to my previous point act like you've been here before don't act like this your first time just because it ain't And I know y'all like you on the podcast with Dr.
Speaker 2: Joy. You can't be using ain't. I am. I am.
Speaker 3: I feel like I can use ain't and it's going to be all right. Because I know you know exactly what I'm talking about. You got to act like you've been here before. And you can't panic every time your child makes a mistake.
Speaker 1: What do you think gets activated for us, Dr. Lede? Like I feel like for myself, like just speaking for myself, I think like when I feel my seventh grader makes a mistake, I sometimes get activated because I feel like it is an indictment on my parenting. Like, oh my gosh, what.
Speaker 2: Did I do?
Speaker 1: So what do you think gets activated for people? That's my example, but what for other people?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think I said this on Dr. Kim Caswell's podcast, and it's going to be difficult to hear. So I'm going to speak from my eye standpoint so that nobody feels indicted. Sometimes I think too much of myself. Yeah. And I epitomize who I am. And my children are from my lineage. Yeah. And so because my children are from my lineage, of course, they're going to be just like who I think.
Speaker 2: I am versus who I actually am.
Speaker 1: And who you were as a seventh grader.
Speaker 3: And who I was as a seventh grader. I make mistakes all the time. Do I think I'm raising a perfect child? I'm crazy if I think I'm raising a perfect child. I'm raising a child who's trying to grow in a very chaotic world. And when they make mistakes, I got to teach them that it's okay. I tell them, I'm going to tell you something. I'm glad we're bringing this up.
Speaker 2: You know what I tell my kids all the time?
Speaker 3: My kids know this. My dad tells us all the time, I hope you fail. I hope they fail. And I hope they fail at home. I hope they fail at home all the time. And I'm not about to panic when you fail. I tell my daughter all the time, I hope you get the math question wrong. If you get it right, we ain't working on the right thing. I need to figure out where you're not good so we can work on those things. And I need you to be okay with failing. There's no way you're going to get very far in life if you're not okay with failing. Dwayne Wade said, my belief is stronger than your doubt. And the way I hijacked him and said, my belief is stronger than.
Speaker 2: My own doubt. Because every time you fail, you get this.
Speaker 3: Little inkling of like, oh, I'm not capable. No, I need you to be like, I'm more than capable. I just need to try a different way. And I think we have to be comfortable with our children failing. And it's not an indictment on you. It's an indictment on the fact that your child is growing. We don't argue with the toddler who's learning how to walk, who falls all the time. They are learning how to walk. And our teenagers are learning how to walk. And our young people are learning how to walk. And our young doctors are learning how to walk. So you put in more safeguards and stuff like that, but you still don't stop them from learning.
Speaker 2: How to walk. Right.
Speaker 3: And I think we have to be okay with our kids making mistakes and not panicking. Because if I made a mistake, I don't need you to panic. I need you to help me to figure out how to not make a mistake again. And if you're panicking, you ain't never made this mistake. You've made worse mistakes that you don't want nobody to know about. And so I think we have to like back up and stop idealizing our children.
Speaker 2: We have this idea like, oh, my kids need to be perfect. Or my kids need to, man, take some. My wife has this adage like, I don't need you to make straight A's. I need you to do your very best.
Speaker 3: And I hear parents go, oh, my kids make straight A's. And that's an indication of what for you? What is that an indication for you?
Speaker 2: What is that? Because sometimes we'll translate stuff like my kid makes good grades, that makes me a good parent.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it correlates that linearly. It doesn't really work out that way. You may have put some good supports in place educationally, but I think my point to all of this is that those quiet time questions that I always leave in content where I'm asking the parents to Don't do this when you're elevated. Don't do this when you're agitated. Don't do this when you're irritable. Do this when you get some quiet time. And just reflect on some of these things. Reflect on why is my child having a tantrum triggering for me?
Speaker 2: Like, why? Is that because when I.
Speaker 3: Had distress, nobody would allow me to have distress or would be harmful for me to be like, yo, I'm not feeling well right now?
Speaker 2: Okay, well, you need to work on that, but don't let your child hold that with you.
Speaker 3: And teenagers who are struggling with, some are struggling academically, some are not struggling academically, but they're struggling socially. Some are not struggling socially, not struggling academically, but they're struggling emotionally. You got to figure out what buckets your child is struggling in and those are the ones that you help them in.
Speaker 2: And that's just the reality of it. Because every kid has something that they need their parents to help them with. Every single child. You know? And that's just my thoughts on it.
Speaker 3: Mm-hmm.
Speaker 1: That's incredibly helpful. Thank you for that. So I want to move into the million dollar question that everybody has different opinions on around how are we helping our kids set boundaries and like figure out how to deal with stuff happening on social media? First of all, do you have thoughts around like a certain age? Like, is there an age limit that you think is appropriate for social media? Just your general thoughts kind of around social media stuff and kids.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: Let me start off by saying something. Social media engagement is household dependent.
Speaker 2: You would have to think about it from the perspective of like, my child needs to learn how to have discipline to do a X, Y, and Z. In order to do any of those things, they're going to need an attention span. And let me.
Speaker 3: Preface something by saying, we are not talking about The child with neurodevelopmental differences who may have ADHD and autism. That's not, that's a different conversation. This is for the child who does not have ADHD, does not have.
Speaker 2: Any other neurodevelopmental differences. And what is competing with their ability to build discipline is technology. That's what we're talking about.
Speaker 3: So the child who has technology competing with their attention to build discipline I'm going to tell you some of the things that they're competing with.
Speaker 4: Algorithms, what's new, the rewards of social media, and consistent and constant and pervasive stimulation. That's four things that are incredibly difficult to overcome. And so the first question I often ask parents is, who controls screen time? And they're like, well, I told him to get off the phone. You tell them, I said this in the last episode, your voice does not have superpowers. You are not God who said, and let there be light. It doesn't, it doesn't work that way.
Speaker 3: Like as much as we want to say open Sesame and the door just opens.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It just like never actually does it. Like you got to get up and open the door.
Speaker 3: And so, Discipline around technology has to start with the parents. And so like I have a hard stance on no screens at the dinner table. No screens at the dinner table. Like I abhor a screen at the dinner table because it's like you need to learn how to communicate. You need to learn how to communicate with other people, to communicate with the people that you love. So like some basic things like no phones during meals, no screen during meals. Devices should charge in parents' rooms or outside.
Speaker 2: Of the rooms.
Speaker 3: Notifications off when you're doing homework. These are like very basic things. Establish screen-free family activities like painting, running in the water, going outside for a walk, playing with Legos. Having a conversation around the table. And then my favorite is, I tell parents, when you're at home and there's screens, carry a timer around. And say, okay, if your reward is screen time, you get 15 minutes of screen time. I'm setting the timer now. And in the beginning, the kid's going to fight with you. And eventually, guess what?
Speaker 2: You're not.
Speaker 3: My 15-year-old does not argue with us at all.
Speaker 2: 9 p.m. every day, cell phone, laptop in our bedroom. Right down on the floor. Her phone does not go in her room. We don't have to argue. But like maybe three or four years ago, we would have been having this conversation all the time. And we were consistent like, no, every night, every night.
Speaker 3: She goes to her grandparents' house back in Louisiana. I think this idea of just remove the device is not helpful. I think you have to replace it with something that's stimulating, something that creates connection, education, entertainment, sometimes escape and then relief from boredom. Sometimes, sometimes boredom is healthy. I'm okay with kids being like, yeah, I'm bored.
Speaker 2: Okay. All right. Sounds good. Thanks for letting me know. Appreciate you. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm sitting here reading though. So I don't know what to tell you. Appreciate you letting me know that you're bored. I appreciate you being aware of how you feel right now.
Speaker 2: It's very helpful, but go figure it out.
Speaker 3: And then I think when you start talking to the teenagers, the most important collaborative conversation as they start to age is like, Yeah, what are you getting yourself into?
Speaker 2: What are you watching?
Speaker 3: How do you feel about yourself after you watch whatever you're watching? What's the best way for the two of us to stay in contact when you're not here in front of me? What's okay to remain private and what is absolutely not going to be private? And then helping them to understand that what you think you're posting privately will become public.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Whether you like it or not. Because there's... world is crazy and.
Speaker 3: I think at the end of the day like you know the other part of it is too is like you know i.
Speaker 2: Think the literacy culture in the home plays a huge role you know reading culture at home plays a huge role.
Speaker 3: It plays an incredible role but at the end of the day do you still visit libraries do you still visit bookstores Do you still go to activities like art galleries and stuff like that? And a lot of this.
Speaker 2: Stuff is free.
Speaker 3: It's literally just like getting in your car and you go for free. There's a lot of activities in libraries. There's a lot of activities for nonprofits all over. Pretty much every city has stuff going on that is not screen related that we can genuinely get our kids involved in. Now, I'm also speaking from a place of affluence, which I always take that into account. But I mean, I grew up incredibly poor. My mama still would make us go to the library. Even if the library we went to didn't have good books, it had books. And books are still exploratory measures. Like there's still things that can allow for you to take a flight. Books will allow you to take flights that money cannot. I say that all the time.
Speaker 1: More from our conversation after the break. So one of the ways that I think a lot of people get their kids involved in, you know, things outside of the home is sports. Right. So our next set of questions are around how do you encourage like good, healthy sports competition and like being a part of a team and like doing something that's extracurricular without instilling this idea of performance anxiety?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh, man, this is you really got me with a doozy on this because I could talk about this for a while.
Speaker 2: I could talk about this for a while.
Speaker 3: A lot of kids who are trained to be like extremely competitive in these things, a lot of them have undiagnosed anxiety that.
Speaker 2: Doesn't really get.
Speaker 3: Recognized as a function of like how hard their parents are pushing it. And then you see it later on when they can't hide from it anymore. So I like to tell parents that like expectations are not inherently harmful and it becomes harmful when your child starts believing that the achievement determines what they're worth.
Speaker 2: And so I.
Speaker 3: Love when I hear parents say like, I love you independent of what the outcome is. And not like, I love you, but I'm like, show you that maybe I don't love you as a form of my, you know, passive way of telling you that I'm disappointed.
Speaker 2: No, I love you. I genuinely love you independent of the outcome. I think that there should be.
Speaker 3: Some separation of a few things, especially when it comes down to academic athletics and expectations. There are the child's goals. There are the parent's hopes. And then there are the parent's unresolved dreams and fears. That's three different things. There is what the child wants to accomplish, what the parent hopes for, and then the parent's unresolved dreams and fears. And I can tell you the one that gets missed the most is not the children's goals, nor is it the parent's hopes. It is the parent's unresolved dreams and fears.
Speaker 2: That is the.
Speaker 3: Piece that gets missed the most. Because why would I sit down and talk about what I missed? Or what didn't happen for me? And am I living this through this child who I have.
Speaker 2: So much say over?
Speaker 3: And so things that you can praise are things like preparation, their ability to persist even though things get tough, them asking for help, them being a good teammate, them recovering after mistakes, them being honest about the things that they're struggling with. Those are important things they can recognize. I used to be my daughter's tennis coach, my oldest daughter's tennis coach. And I had a coach. And coach told me, he said, when your daughter finishes practice or your daughter finishes a match, you have one job.
Speaker 2: Your job is to ask her, where are we getting ice cream at? I was like, coach, really? He was like, yes. He was like, yeah, if you want to erode.
Speaker 3: A relationship with your child, only be their coach. He was like, you and that kid go get some ice cream. If they want to talk about it, y'all talk about it. If they don't want to talk about it, it's okay.
Speaker 2: It's okay. Especially if they get back up and trying again.
Speaker 3: And I think going back to say this again is incredibly important. Having unresolved dreams and fears does not make you a bad parent, nor does it make you a bad person. But it does make you someone who needs to consider that. Because there's a void and a space there that is for you to hold, not for your child to hold. Your child is not going to be what you thought you should be. And you need to be okay with that. Your child is going to be whoever they develop into, not whoever you want them to be. And that's sometimes hard for parents to hear out loud.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And we're talking about it within the context of sports, but I think that that applies to lots of the conversation we had today, right? Like how much of our own resolved fears, our hopes and dreams really we kind of project onto our kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. 100%. Yeah. 100%. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the other question I have about sports stuff is how do you hold space for your child's big dream while also helping them to be maybe more realistic?
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: So like all of the kids that want to be professional football players or I want to, you know, be like the top 1% tennis player in the world. And we know only one out of 5,000 people like get this opportunity. So you want to encourage that, but you also want to help them maybe expand their thinking, like maybe have a plan B. What would be your suggestion for how we support kids with their big dreams?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's a delicate balance of letting them to arrive there.
Speaker 2: You're not going..
Speaker 3: Get them to arrive there as a function of what you think as much as you want them to. Like, I mean, we kind of do this trick in our head all the time where it's like, if I tell them, then that's exactly what they'll think.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Good luck.
Speaker 3: Good luck in telling a child what you think. And then they go automatically just adopt what you think. That's diabolical. Diabolical at its best. And I'm going to tell you something to that point. The idea of realistic is tough with me. For me specifically. My wife of 20 years, she's only really had one verse of encouragement for me for the last 20 years. She was like, yeah, you don't surprise me when you do well. I just don't get up for that. You surprise me when you fail. So try your best not to surprise me. That's the only thing she would tell me. And my point to saying that is, is that like maybe somebody would have called it unrealistic for me to become who I am today.
Speaker 2: Maybe. And I got here at 40. But I got here.
Speaker 3: I think somewhere that desire to be great was fostered.
Speaker 2: And now the desire is maybe stronger than we can control.
Speaker 3: And so the athletic system may be the very thing that will teach them that. And they'll learn a lot in that process. But the process of becoming great at something is something that can be utilized across the board. Like, you know, Malcolm Gladwell talks about the 10,000 hours.
Speaker 2: You know, a lot.
Speaker 3: Of people who don't make it to the NBA still put in the 10,000 hours and they learned a very valuable lesson, which is how to become excellent at something. And once they learn how to apply it to something else, they already know the formula it takes to become good at something. You practice, you practice, you learn, you retool, you get feedback, you practice, you learn, you retool, you get practice, you feed.
Speaker 2: And then eventually at some point you become, oh, really good at it. I think of it as kind of like residency. I've been in residency for five years now. Like this is my fifth year.
Speaker 3: And so, man, at this point, I'm pretty convinced I've gotten enough practice.
Speaker 2: But clearly they're like, no, you need a little bit more, you know?
Speaker 3: And so I think at the end of the day, that conversation between the parents and the child needs to be around, okay, what.
Speaker 2: Are your goals? What are your goals? I'll never forget this.
Speaker 3: When I interviewed with Steve Harvey, And Steve Harvey said that he never had a plan B.
Speaker 2: He said he always had a plan A. I was like, dang. I was like, that's crazy. And now in hindsight, like I.
Speaker 3: Understand exactly what he's talking about. That like, yeah, I never had a plan B. I only had a plan A. And I was willing to do what it took to make plan A work. And I think that's the piece that sometimes is challenging for parents because they see the child right now and they're like, I don't think you're doing what it takes to get to where you want to be, but you've never been there before. And maybe they're in the stagnation period. It like, you know, even when I was in the Navy, they was like, you ain't will never be a doctor.
Speaker 2: And I was like, what?
Speaker 3: And then when I got out of the Navy and I became a security guard at the hospital, and I was like, I don't think you got what it takes to be a doctor.
Speaker 2: And I was like, Okay, cool. All right.
Speaker 3: Now I'm four different types of doctor. Like, I think sometimes we can kill people's dreams with our own dreams and fears. Or the unresolved dreams and fears of our own.
Speaker 2: It's like, you can't do that because I couldn't do that. And so you support them.
Speaker 3: The child, honestly, more often than not, will help you to understand what's reasonable.
Speaker 2: The system won't shake out. Kid wants to go to the NFL.
Speaker 3: And they're not really cutting into high school or whatever, then the system probably won't.
Speaker 2: Help them to figure out a different pathway.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Or maybe they'll get to college and help and figure out or maybe they'll get to college and blossom. Those parts we don't know.
Speaker 3: We do have to foster the kid with the resources we do have reasonably to try to get to their goals.
Speaker 2: And maybe they won't land at the goal that they thought they would get at, but they'll land somewhere. That's for sure. They will land somewhere.
Speaker 3: There are a lot of athletes who are now physicians, lawyers, CEOs, business owners, influencers, motivational speakers, all these different kinds of things.
Speaker 2: I think about Ryan Clark all the time.
Speaker 3: Ryan Clark went from being a world-class athlete in the National Football League to now a world-class journalist. He's a podcast host and people know him all over the world for his ability to think out loud and critically analyze things and stuff of that nature. But like somebody could have easily told him at some period before, like, no, you good at football, but.
Speaker 2: You could never be, you know, a world renowned ESPN host. Like then what? And then he actually doesn't. Then what? And so I don't know if we know.
Speaker 3: We don't know who the next great person is going to be. But what I do know is that the people who did become great were fostered by somebody.
Speaker 2: I talk about it all the time.
Speaker 3: Like people used to say security guards don't become doctors, which they were right because I became a double doctor.
Speaker 2: So, you know, it is what it is. You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like, you know, I think we have to, within reason, encourage these kids, man. They got enough things telling them they can't do something.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. They don't have a shortage of things telling them they can't do something.
Speaker 3: Especially Black girls. I'm raising two Black girls. And I love this podcast, Therapy for Black Girls. So specifically, I'm going to be biased here and say, like, especially.
Speaker 2: For Black girls.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can do whatever.
Speaker 2: I mean, Michelle Obama was not the first lady of the world getting talked about for her braids. Like, that's crazy. Like, man, listen, Robby. Tell my daughter she could be an astronaut, baby. Go to Mars. Go to Mars. Wherever, wherever.
Speaker 1: So my last question, Dr. Ledea, is a little bit of a funny one, but the parents really want to know, and I specifically want to know, is there some science behind why these teens and tweens want to wear coats and hoodies in the summertime? And then when it's actually cold, everybody wants to be in shorts. Is there a scientific reason?
Speaker 2: It's cool.
Speaker 1: It's just a cool thing to do.
Speaker 2: It's a cool thing to do, man. It's a cool thing to do. I'm pretty sure we had some quirks when we were that age, too. Probably, probably. Like, man, come on, man. We was wearing starter jackets, bruh.
Speaker 1: Starter jackets were very cool. But I feel like I only remember wearing a starter jacket when it was weather, like, jacket time. I don't feel like I remember wearing a jacket. So you were wearing your starter jacket all year.
Speaker 3: I wasn't wearing mine, but I know all the people care we was.
Speaker 4: Nah.
Speaker 2: And ain't nobody saying nothing to them.
Speaker 1: Hilarious.
Speaker 2: And now these kids.
Speaker 3: Got AirPods and cell phones and.
Speaker 2: You know, makeup and, you know, lip gloss. They don't even pass phone numbers on sticky notes no more. No. They pass out IG. And I don't even think it's IG. I think it's Snapchat. Snapchat. Yeah, it might not even be Snapchat. It might be TTs. You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like, you know, like, hey, you know, you just got to, hey, hey, rock with them. That's the least harmful thing, man. That's not the end of the world.
Speaker 2: You know, that's not.
Speaker 1: So let them wear their hoodies.
Speaker 2: You are a fan of letting them just walk out. First of all, let me ask you this question. The kid is wearing a hoodie. Who bought him a hoodie?
Speaker 1: I bought the hoodie for the winter, Dr.
Speaker 3: Lene.
Speaker 2: No, you bought the hoodie for them to wear. You didn't buy the hoodie for the winter. Not to mention, you know, you're wearing this $ 100 hoodie. Who's $ 100 bought it? Who's $ 100 bought it? Where the $ 100 come from?
Speaker 3: How many times we clock in to get that hundo?
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying? And not you mad they get a use out of it.
Speaker 3: Right, right.
Speaker 1: We should be grateful that they're actually putting our money to good use.
Speaker 2: They could be throwing it under the bed. Then you're going to be mad at them. I buy you all the clothes and you don't even wear it. Well, now I'm wearing it and you got a problem with that too. True, true.
Speaker 1: It's all about perspective, right?
Speaker 2: It's all about perspective. Yeah, man. You know, hey, that's a sign you probably done made it a little bit. If your kid can just wear a hoodie, then when they get out of.
Speaker 3: School, they're going to ask you for Chick-fil-A and Starbucks. Like, you already know how this go. Yeah, I ain't giving y'all no Starbucks and Chick-fil-A. But why are we in the driveway right now? Why are we in the drive-thru? What are we doing in the drive-thru right now? Why are you on the app right now?
Speaker 2: You're right. You got all these points. Stars. Gold stars. You a diamond member at Chick-fil-A. I'm not wrong.
Speaker 3: You're not.
Speaker 2: You're not.
Speaker 1: You calling us out just a little bit. Just a little bit.
Speaker 2: That's going to be my content today as a matter of fact.
Speaker 3: You a diamond member at Chick-fil-A and mad at the kid for asking for it.
Speaker 2: How they got diamond? Where you get diamond from?
Speaker 1: Everybody helped. Everybody helped.
Speaker 2: It was it was a group effort. Well, thank you so.
Speaker 1: Much for answering all of my questions, Dr.
Speaker 2: Lede.
Speaker 1: This has been so incredibly helpful. Please remind people where they can get more of your content and stay connected with you.
Speaker 3: And you can follow me on all the social media platforms at Dr.
Speaker 2: Russell Lede. That's D-R-R-U-S-S-E-L-E. L-E-D-E-T. And if you're ever.
Speaker 3: Interested in me coming to speak at one of your events or whatever, you can visit.
Speaker 2: Www.russleday.com as always. I love y'all. I'm praying for y'all and I'll see y'all next time.
Speaker 1: Perfect. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: You're welcome.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad Dr. Leday was able to join me for this conversation and excited that he was able to come back and thoughtfully engage with our wonderful community. To learn more about him and his work, be sure to visit the show notes at therapyforblackgirls.com slash session 478. And don't forget to text this episode to two of your girls right now and tell them to check it out. Did you know that you could leave us a voicemail with your questions or suggestions for the podcast? If you have movies or books you'd like for us to review or have thoughts about topics we should discuss, drop us a message at memo.fm slash therapyforblackgirls and let us know what's on your mind. We just might feature it on the podcast. If you're looking for a therapist in your area, visit our therapist directory at therapyforblackgirls.com slash directory. Don't forget to follow us on Instagram at therapyforblackgirls. And come on over and join us in our Patreon community for exclusive updates, behind-the-scenes content.
Speaker 2: And much more.
Speaker 1: You can join us at community.therapyforblackgirls.com. This episode was produced by Elise Ellis, Inde Chivu, and Bria Mosley. Editing was done by Denison Bradford. Thank y'all so much for joining me again this week. I look forward to continuing this conversation with you all real soon. Take good care.