Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News. Welcome to the Bloomberg This Weekend Podcast with David Gura, Christina Raffini, and Elisa Matteo.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us for today's selection of conversations from the show.
Speaker 3: You can listen to our favorite discussions right here on the podcast, but also make sure to join us live every Saturday and Sunday morning starting at seven am Easter.
Speaker 4: We're on Bloomberg Television, Radio and the Bloomberg Business App, bringing you unique takes and in depth interviews on news, politics, lifestyle and culture.
Speaker 3: This morning, The New York Times supporting on concerns within the White House about another escalation with Iron that would put golf use US and golf allies at risk.
Speaker 5: Excuse me, that's right.
Speaker 2: The Times is reporting that President Trump could be holding off on a larger strike in part due to a low supply of anti missile defenses. Now, US Ambassador the US when Mike Walls is on NBC right now or will be soon. It looks like this was a pre recorded interview pushing back against that report, saying the US has all the equipment it needs, so to help us break this down, We've got Beca Wasser, she's Bloomberg Economics Defense lead, and Chris Kennedy he is the lead for Economic statecraft. Butck, I want to start with you because I know you've been covering the stockpile and its depletion and where we are with these numbers. How real is the concern over the defensive missile supply for the US. It seems interesting if these reports are accurate, that the US is now prescribing policy based on the integrity of the supply.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think we're at a really interesting inflection point where right now, in the course of the conflict, there is a huge strain on US air defense interceptors. That's not to say that the US does not have any left, but rather that there's a clear strain on the existing stockpiles, which are running low after this extended conflict with Iran, in part because of the sheer need not only from the United States, which is trying to protect bases and troops and some US allies in the region, but also the allies themselves, who have depleted most of their air defense stockpiles and have been asking the United States for more. So at the end of the day, it's a pretty stark place to be in, but it's not necessarily the only thing that is dictating US military policy. We've seen this song and danced before where President Trump has threatened high escalation only to step back at the last moment to leave some room for diplomacy. We've also seen President Trump enter into faints in the past where he said that there will be no strikes, only to go ahead with that large operation. However, from my experience, if I'm looking at things right now, the US does not have sufficient defenses to weather the blowback that would likely come from Iran if the US were to rapidly and extremely ramp up this conflict.
Speaker 3: You get Chris Kennedy here in just a minute of Becca, one more question to you as I look at your most recent piece for Bloomberg on all of this, you write, the US lacks the munition's depth to bomb around in perpetuity. The bigger risk is the US may run low of the right kinds of missiles. Help me understand what we know and what we don't know. My understanding is the size and scale of these arsenals is classified.
Speaker 5: We have some sense of what the US has.
Speaker 3: How blind are we when it comes to kind of assessing what the US has at its disposal, We're.
Speaker 6: Pretty blind, but I think there are a few different rules of them that we can always rely on. We've seen, at least in the initial fighting during Operation Epic Fury, US officials said that there were over thirteen thousand munitions that were expended, and most of those were some of these higher and long range missiles that are in demand all over the globe. And so the US is likely having wound down some of its stockpiles for those critical munitions, which means that it is either likely going to need to pull some of those missiles from other regions like the Indo Pacific, which could leave a potential gap for others to exploit, or try and find ways to bolster the production of munitions, which the US is doing. But that's a slow moving effort. We are talking months, if not years, to try and just produce a few more of some of those most advanced missiles and munitions.
Speaker 2: Wow, Chris Kennedy, thank you for hanging in there. We do want to ask you more about the economic impact of all this. Because oil hit one hundred dollars a barrel for the first time in weeks. We now have concerns not only about what's going on in the Strait as it seems to drag on, and just the cost of doing business with this level of instability. But now you have these threats from the hou this which is compromising exports not only in the Red Sea but possibly production within Saudi Arabia. You know they can and have before hit refineries and facilities there. What is your take on that second front and if we're going to see that, if we have seen that start to pry in the markets.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so it's definitely a challenge. So the Red Sea has now been the subject of several different attacks by the huthis looking at I just looked at the recent tanker traffic through the Red Sea and it is dropping over the past few days. Of course, many ships might be traveling without their transponders on, so it'll take a few days to really see what the impact has been on traffic. But we are getting anecdotal reports about ships turning around having to traverse the Cape of Good Hope at the southern tip of Africa, and that just adds time to get oil to market. On top of the Middle East conflict, we've also seen Ukraine ramp up its attacks on Russian oil export infrastructure tankers, and so that's another bit of pressure that's been growing in the background as this conflict has continued.
Speaker 3: Becka, you gained out sort of what the president his team might be thinking about when it comes to the future of this war, and you came up with three options. The US could continue Bomberan, could intensify the blockade and guidance of ships, or could launch an operation to forcibly reopen the Strait of Hormuz. I wonder if you could kind of put those in order of likelihood as you see it, maybe order of difficulty as well, and where you think the administration might might be headed right down.
Speaker 6: I think the administration is firmly in that first bucket. They're looking at ways to potentially intensify the air war, to launch additional air and missile strikes against Iran, because that's the playbook that the president has relied upon. But at this juncture in the conflict, the president is starting to feel pressure where he probably needs to do something different, in part because some of those economic pressures that Chris has mentioned. So if that's the case, there's you know, the two additional options. One would be to try and enforce the blockade even further, but really with that try and make it so that the US can get more ships through the Strait of Hormuz, which is becoming even more of a choke point than it already was. That means that the US military would need to shift to a direct escort mission, which is something that is incredibly resource intensive and may not necessarily be on the table at this point in time. And then the last one is a operation to open the street, and that requires putting boots on the ground in Irani and soil. It is high risk, it is resource intensive, and once that happens, the escalation in this conflict is likely to go sky high. And that's where the conversation that we've been having about air defense interceptors is so important, because those troops would need to be protected as best possible, as well as other US forces and allies across the region. In addition to that, the US could also potentially look at entering the freight in the Red Sea that would further overstretch US forces and assets, particularly some of those air defense missiles too.
Speaker 2: Chris, we also have another front that has really impact the price of oil and that's the war in Ukraine and the conflict in Russia, and how Ukrainian drones are penetrating Russian defenses and getting to hit these manufacturing and refining facilities. But now also you have reports potentially of Ukraine going after an Iranian vessel in the Caspian Sea. Everything is connected when you look at global economies, but also when you look at politics and as the economic state craft lead, those seem to puld in nicely together. What is your take on how these two conflicts are antagonizing each other and working together to kind of make it, at a hard time for oil prices kind of even more difficult. Where do you see this going?
Speaker 7: Well, yeah, as you mentioned, the Iritims did not respond well to Ukraine's targeting of this particular ship, which I believe Ukraine said that it was involved in the transfer of weapons between the two countries, Russia and Arad. I do think what we're seeing is this pressure building on the global energy system. So, just stepping back, the US published weekly updates on energy inventories oil inventories. We're probably going to see a sixteenth straight week of oil stocks falling in the United States. We had a little bit of respite from this MoU period, we saw commercial stockpiles rise a little bit, but these releases from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve have continued unabated, so we're estimating that those releases will essentially run out by October. It's possible the US could offer another release, but these these stocks are limited, and so the additional pressure. You know, Russia has banned the export of diesel because of these attacks. Russia historically has provided about ten percent of the global exported diesel supply, so that's a pretty significant hit. It hits the real economy everywhere. You know. Another unknown is how long China can continue to effectively pause many of its oil imports. And we don't really know what's going on in China, but they've certainly helped to act as a buffer for the global energy system over the the past five months by essentially dropping off forty percent of their imports from the world. So, you know, there are all of these different variables. Some are uncertain, many of them are outside of the control of this president certainly, and they're going to be adding pressure to his decision making.
Speaker 3: Becas I'm listening to Chris, I'm still stuck on something. You said, which is about the US kind of engaging with the Houthis, And my mind wanders back to April of twenty twenty five when we saw the US do that, and there was that moment when I think a super hornet fell off the USS Harry Truman into the ocean. It was a difficult fight that they were waging there, and I wonder sort of what that pretends about the US kind of re engaging in that way.
Speaker 5: How difficult would be for the.
Speaker 3: US to fight the Houthis who've kind of reared their heads here several months into this conflict.
Speaker 6: That's a great question. Let's think about what happened last time. You mentioned that there were aircraft that rolled off the deck of a carrier and were lost at sea, but there was also over one thousand US air strikes on Yemen at that time, which eight into munition stockpiles. Additionally, US air and naval forces shot down over four hundred and eighty Hoothy drones and that left stockpiles pretty low for some of the important air defense interceptors as well, with US Navy officials saying that they cost in the billions of dollars and that stockpiles were nearly depleted, and that was just from some of these one off attacks from the Houthis during that time period. Right now, if the US were to enter the Fright, it would be like that once again. But that also means that that's occurring at the same time that the US is prosecuting a blockade in the Strait of Hormuz and using munitions and equipment and readiness to conduct that, as well as continuing its air campaign against Iran, which has been paused for two nights but could pick up at any moment, which again is depleting critical readiness, using u US WURSS and using up some of the most important munitions that the US might need in a potential future conflict.
Speaker 2: And Chris is not just complicating supplies of munitions and oil, but other commodities as well. I see you retweeting from of the show Steven Schasinski, who we had on yesterday him talking about LNG. He said, a global fight for LNG is brewing and Europe is losing. Europe strategy of delaying LERG purchases until her those reopens is backfiring, threatening efforts to refill storage for winter. What is going on there and how critical.
Speaker 7: Is this This is a really serious issue for Europe. Of course, the US is in pretty good shape for LNG and if we could export more, but we're really capped out at how much we can export right now and help to backfill for Europe and other economies. I think the challenge right now is that Europe is competing with Asian economies that are also trying to ensure that they have sufficient supplies of LNG, which goes into everything from power generation to petrochemical manufacturing. So Europe is in a position where they need to start, you know, resupplying their stocks before the winter. They can't count on Russia of course, and there's limited amounts of export from the US. So you know, if this conflict doesn't resolve, if we don't get these LNG uh, you know supplies coming out of the golf again, that's gonna it's going to cause some pain in Europe. And I'll also note that we saw early in the war that are on targeted some of Qatar's LNG facilities, and these are very sensitive facilities and if they are subject to significant you know kinetic attacks, uh, that could cause you know, long periods of them being offline. So that's I think one of the bigger risks for the escalation.
Speaker 5: At this point, there's been to a couple of seconds.
Speaker 2: But before we go is it we can't export more because we lack the trains or the facilities to convert it into a movable quantity or is it shipping or where is the where's the rub there?
Speaker 7: It sees export facility, these lergy export terminals. So between now in the next five years, we're expecting to be able to double our export capacity. But right now the US is drowning in l enge and we just can't get it out fast enough.
Speaker 5: That's really interesting to my favorite people, Bloomberg Economies. That's Chris Kennedy. Becka Watser is joining us this morning. Becka the defense lead at Bloomberg Economics, Chris the economic.
Speaker 3: State craft lead. And whenever I'm in the DC Bureau always fund to wander over to their.
Speaker 5: Massively smart department. Thank you, guys, absolutely, thanks again.
Speaker 3: Stay with us for more on Bloomberg this weekend right after this. Russia famously known for its vodka and its culture of extreme intoxication. But just as vodka is central to the lives of many Russians and it is also central to understanding Russian history and politics.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 2: In the book Vodka, Politics, Alcohol, Autocracy, and the Secret History of the Russian State, author Mark Lawrence Strod explores original documents and archival evidence to analyze how vodka is hardwired into the Russian political system. And markjoins us now live on set. You are also an assistant professor of political science at Villanova. We're so happy to have your I stumbled across this book a couple of weeks ago. It's absolutely fascinating, But you preface it by saying, this is not about an ugly stereotype. This is not and that's almost led to why people don't dive into how much of an issue this has been for decades, from Czars to Medvedev, people have tried to tackle this problem and come up short, what's going on here?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 8: And thank you for having me a fascinating topic and obviously something that's observed a lot of my time since I was a student back in Russia in the nineteen nineties when the economy was in the tank, and you know, and just living there for a long time, you're just like, Okay, well, there's something about this stereotype, and we've all heard the stereotype. But then you're sort of living in You're like, Okay, there's a lot of alcohol going on right now, a lot of vodka, and so I kind of wanted to hammer at why, you know, rather than just sort of avoiding the unpleasant this diving into it, you know, and a lot of the times it's just prefaced as some sort of cultural stereotype.
Speaker 9: Oh, Russians just love it and they don't write.
Speaker 8: I mean, it's not like they're just like sipping a vodka and then going, oh, what a greater roment, No, having a hard time choking down, just like anybody else. But actually, I think it has to be more of a legacy of political and economic decisions that are at the heart of autocratic statecraft, kind of putting the interests, the financial interests of the autocratic state ahead of the well being of their own people for generations upon generations, through the Czars, through the Soviets, and unfortunately straight on through their present day.
Speaker 5: Explain that a bit more so. I mean, the level of.
Speaker 3: Consumption is huge, like fifteen to sixteen leaders per person per year I think is what I read. So people are consuming an incredible quantity of hard alcohol. You know, in another country that might be seen as kind of a public health issue or concern there, it's not.
Speaker 8: It was so during a peeriod of time between you know, Putin's first two terms and then there was that interregnant where Dmitri Medvedev swap positions for four years.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Well, one of his big initiatives was an anti alcohol campaign, because he acknowledged that this is this is horrible. This is decimating our society, it's decimating our ability to field troops, it's decimating our tax base, and and all those sorts of things. So they tried to clamp down beginning about two thousand and nine on alcohol consumption, using what I would say are fairly progressive policies informed by public decision, by public health professionals around the globe, and you know, very incremental approaches, very well thought out. Little did he know, though, perhaps that on the other side, was that his presidents of Vladimir Putin had actually been buying up and taking control of, personally a very large percent of the Russian vodka market. And so a lot of those public health initiatives ended up focusing in on putting higher taxes, not on vodka, but on beer, which is lower alcohol, probably better than passic loka. So it's just completely upside down. So even the public health initiatives were pushing more vodka on people, which is just bizarro land. It's topsy turvy.
Speaker 2: But that almost kind of fits with what you talk about in the book, and that's throughout its history kind of due to the way this was set up with grain production and with the admin of the tavern, vodka was used as a tool of the state. It was a big financial boom. Can you explain how that works? I mean so much so that Tolstoy was a teetotaler, which I didn't know, and the Bolsheviks were vehemently anti booze because it was such a weapon of the state.
Speaker 8: Right, And this is something actually is not just it started, you know, my interest started in Russia, but kind of expanded out globally in subsequent research. But it's fascinating how many people throughout history, including American history, are noteworthy prohibitionists. So Tolstoy Lenin in the United States, Frederick Douglass, I would say, Abraham Lincoln, you could say Thomas Jefferson was America's first prohibitionist. So it's it's it's fascinating because ultimately that the key to understanding sort of that anti alcoholism uh. And you definitely saw it in the the autocratic regimes in Russia was that this is how the and it didn't take like a rabid Marxist to point this out. This is how the rich got richer and the poor got poor.
Speaker 9: And so it was very easy.
Speaker 3: Trade for it.
Speaker 2: Right, you had to pay for vodkan hard currency, right.
Speaker 5: You had to uh.
Speaker 8: And it was it was strictly forbidden to make your own outside. This was part of the czar's monopoly on the tavern trade. And so the the tavern keepers were known as selavalniki, which means the kissers.
Speaker 9: They kissed across to vow that.
Speaker 8: They would not dilute, that they would not interrupt the revenues of the state that we're going to the czar, and so that they were sort of the main interference points or point of interface i should say, between sort of Russian society and the Russian government. And that's you know, essentially how you paid money into this this whole system.
Speaker 3: So you wrote this book before Russia's first incursion into Ukraine, and some years have passed since then, and here we are in the middle of this war, and I'm curious through the person through it you've you've written this books of how you're looking at this current conflict and the difficulty that we've seen reported that Russia has kind of fielding its army to continue to fight this war.
Speaker 5: Through this lens, what can we.
Speaker 3: Glean or what can we learn just about the kind of state of the conflict itself and the way that they're able to recruit people to fight.
Speaker 8: In it, right, And it's been interesting to kind of sort of watch it in through that particular lens. In the early years of the conflict, the Donbas War in particularly, you had the Euromaidan Revolution in Kiev, and then you know, obviously the annexation of Crimea and the sort of this low scale war in the.
Speaker 9: Dawn Bass region.
Speaker 8: It was a sort of a study in contrast because the Ukrainian side, which also has afflictions with alcohol and sort of the vodkas, part of that that historical trajectory, but also has a lot more sort of European cultural influences, historical influences from the Austro Hungarian Empire in the areas around.
Speaker 5: Levive and so on.
Speaker 8: Uh, the protests that were going on there were very orderly. In fact, they had, you know, the areas that were self policing in terms of making sure that we have sobriety, we don't want anything going wrong here. By contrast, uh, the the sort of inauguration of these rebels republics in the dawn Bass region, by these pro Russian separatists were just drunk, drunken bacchanal's, uh, you know, and and you had you know, reporters on the on the scene reporting how everybody's drunk, everybody's falling apart on these these sorts of things, and so yeah, it was it was kind of an interesting contrast. It's like, all right, we've got it very very clearly here that these are not the same protests and they're bringing different sort of historical baggage in those cases.
Speaker 5: But at some.
Speaker 2: Point, I mean, it impacts the functioning of the state, because when you look at a military it's got impact readiness. And when you talk about historically even the function of the Soviet state, you write about these insane dinner parties that Stalin used to have in which he used to insist his ministers who had work to do, would stay very late in the night. They would fake drunkenness early so they could try to go home and salvage the rest of their day. Talk about the work of this as almost a state craft and an internal monitoring system, because what was the goal getting people drunk enough that they would spill their secrets or they would tell them if they were a spy.
Speaker 9: Yeah, there was certainly an element to that.
Speaker 2: And I remember they even don't do this to me, I'm not telling you my sor.
Speaker 10: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 8: Yeah, No, like the opening scenes of the movie A Death of Stalin was the book. Yeah, when I saw that movie, I was like, did they read like those chapters of this book because it was but literally talk about it in the book. It was it was like a you know, like a frat party with the devil. I mean, he's forcing everybody to drink with the intention of maybe divulging some secrets if they were secretly plotting to overthrow you know, sort of loose lips, sync ships kind of things. So so yeah, so there was kind of this idea of keeping one's potential opponents off bait, whether that's Orf off base a little bit, whether that's in the Kremlin.
Speaker 9: But also if you want to project that out in terms of sort.
Speaker 8: Of state society relations, there's something to be said about, you know, keeping the people sort of drunken and off base and unable to sort of mount a challenge to your own authority in that way. So so it works a little bit both ways.
Speaker 3: In the last few minutes we have here, let me just take a event of you being a scholar of Russian politics, and just to ask you how you're thinking about reviewing Vladimir Putin at this moment in time. I think there are a lot of folks who see him as maybe getting closer to having his back up against the wall, and I'm curious, looking at that kind of in the complement of history, how you're thinking about him in this moment.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's you know, it's where I can't claim to have a direct line of Vladimir Putin, and I'm very suspicious of anybody who does claim to have that. But one of the things I constantly notice, especially in sort of Western media coverage, is this notion of I'm calling it it's like a village literature on sort of.
Speaker 9: The beginning of the end of Putin.
Speaker 5: Interesting, and I wrote a.
Speaker 8: Piece I think for Foreign Policy a number of years ago, kind of tracing these and I was finding beginning of the end of Putin, you know, stories going back to the course disaster in two thousand and two, so you know.
Speaker 9: You can go all the way back. Oh, covid, this is the begat parts of my.
Speaker 2: Death have been greatly exact.
Speaker 4: Second.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but I think my position was always like, well, it's a betting person, you know, you can always say, well, this is the beginning of the end, this is the beginning of the end. Well, every time you're going to be wrong, except for once. So it's better to be and take the opposite approach and say this is probably not the end of Putin, and that way you can only be wrong once, which is the one way to to to look at it.
Speaker 5: There.
Speaker 2: But as you look at the drivers that have femant to change in the past, what finally gets it to that breaking point? There's so little opposition left in that country. Even if Putin falls, what replaces him? And could that be worse?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 8: And that's that's the key I think to a lot of This is that I think we take, especially in the West, we kind of project our notions of popular sovereignty. The sovereignty lies with the people, and then we have to keep the people play cadd at least, you know, some degree of public approval, maybe not you know, expressed through you know, direct democratic initiatives or whatnot. But there's still is a sense that, well, you know, if we can't push the Russian people too far or else they're going to rebel. I think we've passed that point where we're the sovereignty is linked to the will of the Russian people. So nowadays you're seeing these lines of cars, you know, lining up queuing up for gas, and now the attacks on other ones, and everybody's just saying, well, where's the Russian people's breaking point. I don't think the Russian people are going to break anytime soon.
Speaker 2: All Right, We're gonna have to leave it there. Thank you so much. The book is Vodka Politics, Mark Lauren Shad, Thank you so much for driving in.
Speaker 5: We appreciate.
Speaker 3: Stay with us for more on Bloomberg this weekend. Right after this, For the first time on record, the city of Miami the metropolitan area more expensive than greater in New York City.
Speaker 5: I'm going to repeat that again, Miami more.
Speaker 2: Expensive than for our radio listeners. My face is not by stupefied.
Speaker 3: With South Florida's consumer price index jumping thirty six percent since the year twenty nineteen, and according to the US Bureau of Economic Analysis, Miami's cost of living has surpassed New York's, with private school tuition, insurance costs, and restaurant spending higher than they were one year ago.
Speaker 2: All right, for more on how Miami allegedly got so pricey, We're joined once again by our resident.
Speaker 5: Miami in Miami in that's the right dominum.
Speaker 2: You can correct me if I'm wrong, Senior Commoditie stratus, Mike McLoone. Mike, you used to live in New York, Right, you're meeting these people who defected to Florida. What is your take on all this?
Speaker 10: Well, the bottom line is, from the top down. In New York, if you get one hundred thousand dollars bonus, the state of New York and the city New York off the top take sixteen percent. In Miami it's zero. That's an unstoppable force. So everything else is kind of catching up to that.
Speaker 2: Okay, but there's other I'm sorry ahead, no, no, you go ahead, and you say, there's other costs associated with living with Florida, like our reporter found, you got to think about things like property insurance. And also you have to have cars, and you have to have multiple cars because you can't get away get around anywhere else. And if you're trying to be cool, you're probably spending a lot on the cars. Aren't there all these other little expenses that add up.
Speaker 10: Well, I think you nail it there. If you're trying to be cool, it's expensive. But if you're like me, you just try to go under the radar and you commute on a bike to the office. That's nine miles on bike pass. It's ideal. You don't have to pay tolls, you don't have to worry about traffic, and you get to look at all those people city in traffic say yeah, it flexed to be you. I'm good and I'm not in traffic. But the key thing is bottom line though it's also it's the weather for six months of the year is nice. But one thing I think is really happening mi me is and I noticed it's really catching up Obviously there's the traffic. But one thing I also I've heard from a real estate standpoint, looks like we somewhat peeked hair starting head lower and I had lucky enough Bloomberg let me come here in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 5: The thing is we're expanding.
Speaker 10: But the bottom line, also from our standpoint is this, we're a lot of sales. We're getting more and more sales there, and the reason is things like ken Griffin County is because the tax treatment's better.
Speaker 3: I look here at the cost of insurance a huge consideration as well, because of hurricanes there and in this piece the highest home insurance premiums in the nation an average of eight thousand, two or ninety two dollars last year. That's according to in Surify estimates. Mike, I know you're very familiar with Coral Gables in South Miami and Pine Crest, all the hi high tone neighborhoods in Miami.
Speaker 5: Bikes bikes around around. You probably do.
Speaker 3: But your observation just about how much property prices of skyrocket here. I saw it out and an analogy in the piece here that you if you're buying one of those houses on a square foot basis now it is kind of comparable to what you might pay here on the Upper East Side in Manhattan.
Speaker 10: The quote I heard from a prominent real estate person I heard his quote was if I could short Florida real estate, I would. I think it's very peakish. The one thing you also noticed, the construction cranes are everywhere. I noticed that I travel a lot lately to Chicago and Philadelphia, and there's no construction trains. But to hear there everywhere, that's usually a classic sign. But pink, so I think we're there. It's near very.
Speaker 5: Peak type activity. But also key things.
Speaker 10: Remember, Miami and Florida kind of leads the country. If it starts heading lower, it's a high beta. The rest of the country heads downward. But for now, it's also summer. It's not the time to be here. Come to when the weather gets bad, and like it did last winter in New York, people flock down.
Speaker 5: The snowbirds will flock down. Christina.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm kind of arguing against myself here as I look at some of these numbers, because I having just moved to New York from DC, which I thought was a fairly expensive city. I grew up in Colorado. The price of things here has just really caught me off guard.
Speaker 3: But when you look at what.
Speaker 2: Miami is now charging, I mean, the CPI in Miami has jumped thirty six percent since twenty nineteen. When you look at home falls, this article says, until recently, if you moved like Mike did from New York to Florida, you could expect this huge windfall from selling whatever your property here was and investing it down there. But that's getting harder and harder to do because you're getting premiums on these.
Speaker 5: Florida Florida real estate.
Speaker 2: The one thing I will say, though, is you get more square footage show in Miami for the price. And if you are trying to afford New York, even if you own your place, you are still paying these astronomical condo fees. I mean, I know somebody who owns their place outright, but their condo maintenance fee is like five k a month, which is insane to me. Is that still the case in Miami? You still are not dealing with homeowner fees while the homeowner fees. Yes, But I mean what Mike form words, I'm clearly up warming them, But like, what's your take on that, is it still better to get an apartment in Miami it's cheaper or it's not.
Speaker 5: I like the year round factor.
Speaker 10: I can I can live by a beach and commute nine miles and year round, I don't have to wear like boots and the hat and gloves all the time.
Speaker 5: But one thing that.
Speaker 10: Happened right away handed on it is I did get hit with assessment. And first we moved in partly because of what happened to surfside. Fully expected that. But now it's like, where do we go from here? And I think one thing has the thing is we've leveled out and the bottom line is where's the migration most that's happening in this country. It's not just New York. I'm you know, actually originally from Chicago. It's a migration employee from high tax states towards lower tax states. To me, that's an unstoppable force. It looks like Miami's someone's probably peaked for a while at such high levels.
Speaker 3: Mich Let's talk about food in this piece on the terminal, there's a great line it's either carbone or a cubano, that there's not much when the way of kind of mid grade options here. When it comes to food, so's you've kind of navigated your new city.
Speaker 5: Do you find that to be true?
Speaker 3: Has the kind of have all the ancillary things kept up with the building of residential towers and commercial towers?
Speaker 5: I think so.
Speaker 10: I have never had a problem getting good food at a decent price. So everything's gone up, but I guess some kind of lower ends. I don't wait in line at restaurants typically if I have to make a reservation. My wife does that. But no, I'm good with that. I haven't fought a major difference, and it's just the the it's I don't find that much if it's also depends on your level, like if you're not trying to be cool, which I'm not.
Speaker 5: I find no problem with the food.
Speaker 2: I just I love that you ride a bike. I would not have had that on my on my pegword for you. I'm wondering. It is a fun story, but I'm wondering what this rise and gentrification is almost the wrong word, but you know these high rises and this higher standard.
Speaker 5: Of living in Miamia.
Speaker 2: Growth, Yeah, urban growth, it has done for We're talking on a very high end here. I'm wondering if this is putting the squeeze even more on medium income and lower income families and communities that make Miami kind of what it is.
Speaker 10: It certainly is one thing that's fuirly clueing Miami that I actually love is I am a gringo in many parts of Miami. I mean language, the first language is Spanish. Now you go to Fort Lauderdale, the first language is English.
Speaker 9: But I do enjoy that.
Speaker 10: I enjoy the multicultural environment. But it's getting much harder for your average person if they don't own a place. If they own a home that's from twenty years ago. Those homes have gone up a lot. But if you're just renting, yeah, they're starting to fall behind. It's getting more and more difficult.
Speaker 4: Stay with us for more on Bloomberg This Weekend. Right after this, Welcome back to.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg This Weekend or BT dugs. I'm Christina Raffini with David Gerra and Lisa Matteo is here to run you through some of the stories you might have missed this week. Lisa, what'd you got for?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 4: So what age did you guys start putting into retirement?
Speaker 5: I was not more. I thought that person was Oh my goodness, let's keep it light.
Speaker 2: Okay, Sunday, drink my coffee, David, you want to do you want to take this one.
Speaker 4: Like thirty twenty twenties. Okay, when I start.
Speaker 2: When I got my first full time job at my old network, one of the old guys said, you will max out that four oh one k contribute contribution and he was right, and so I've done.
Speaker 5: It twenty excellent.
Speaker 4: Well, this is the topic of our latest Bloomberg article. It's called gen Z's retirement max or Yes two axes, Yes, choosing savings over doom spending. So a lot more gen z Ers they're they're putting away half their income and they're living cheaply and half there is half their income to telling you, and you know what New York I will say, they're starting at nineteen. Wow, this is what ages.
Speaker 2: Somebody of them are living at home.
Speaker 4: It's because a lot of things. They think Social Security is going to run out. They think that AI is going to take over a lot of their jobs. So they want to be financially secure. So maybe they don't have to take a job. They don't want to stick with it just because they need the money, So they want to have the money started and banked away now, So it's something that they're doing, maxing.
Speaker 5: Maxing it is it is. I'm getting tired. If that was all out here, Yeah, wow, that's so this must be a change. This hasn't been happening for long. It has.
Speaker 4: It's part of a movement. Okay, it's called fire, which stands where financial independence, retire early.
Speaker 5: Some adherence to the really really well, but it's not even I.
Speaker 3: Think it's like they really want to retire extremely early in their forties forties.
Speaker 5: Really, yeah, what are you going to do?
Speaker 3: Whatever in the world's your oyster? If you've saved like what like eighty percent or.
Speaker 5: Something like that, it's it's tough. It's tough.
Speaker 4: But the only thing they're doing wrong, which experts are saying, is that they're focusing so much on the saving, is that they're not paying their debt, their credit cards, oh, on the living.
Speaker 5: They're focusing on the saving.
Speaker 2: But that's the other thing is like you're only young once, Like I do think you shouldn't spend recklessly, but there are some times where you should just buy that ticket and go, Like life is short and it is hard to plan, especially in the world we're in today, so you just never know.
Speaker 5: All right, balance is okay? All right?
Speaker 4: As a kid, did you get allowance? Yes, yes, all right, we're always fighting with mom and dad for this allowance.
Speaker 5: Okay, because no.
Speaker 3: It was a set amount.
Speaker 5: I got it, and.
Speaker 9: You get what you get.
Speaker 5: You don't get up one k. See this one is from New York magazine. Okay, this is for New York.
Speaker 4: When it's barely enough money for boba. New York City parents and teens tussle over how much allowance is enough?
Speaker 5: Okay, so definitely not enough. It's not enough.
Speaker 4: For boba, and kids are having to, you know, struggle, they're struggling. They can't get their boba because they're getting five dollars a week.
Speaker 3: We're seeing video here of Mimi's, which you'd brought up in a previous set, which is like thir.
Speaker 4: Very expensive frozen yogurt. But they're getting five but the bucks a week. Some kids are though, getting like two hundred dollars a week. So it's putting a lot of stress on the kids. Parents are experts are.
Speaker 5: Saying stress on the kids a week. Well, think about it.
Speaker 4: You know you're going out and you're going for your boba, and then you have a kid next to you who gets two hundred bucks a week and you're sitting there with your Measley five. So it's pretty the kids the life.
Speaker 5: I mean, the parents have to fork over the money. Just saying it's a big fight in our house talking about boba.
Speaker 4: I think my daughter gets about fifteen a week, but.
Speaker 2: She's eighteen fifteen dollars getting.
Speaker 5: All right, I do like boba, but I don't like it for it.
Speaker 4: Yes, Okay, company retreats, right, if some companies do that, You go on the picnics, you going whatever? Would you like a beachy dumb You have to do one because it's a hot new thing. Okay, this one is in the Wall Street Journal. Don't kill corporate retreats. Make them more like a kid's birthday party. So instead of doing these.
Speaker 2: Things you know, nightmare.
Speaker 4: Okay, you don't like the natsapp rates or the egg things all those. Yes, it's three days and Cape pod. Okay, you're roasting marshmallows, you're potato sack racing, you're building human pyramids. Okay, you're doing all the fun things like kids do and cross falls exactly doing things right now?
Speaker 5: Kids, do you how do you think that will end for you, David Garra.
Speaker 4: Well, so they're saying, forget the lunches, forget the dinners with the cocktails. People get out of hand and people don't know how to behave Do something like this and then you know you can have a good time and you can bond with your co workers.
Speaker 5: I say, we do adult summer camp. I mean, let's talk about ault summer camp. Like, I'm happy to go and do some potato sack races, potato.
Speaker 4: Sack golf and ski trips or sometimes they try to do those, but they're not good because some people are not good at golf.
Speaker 2: I would be I'm not going to but I'm really good at after skiing, I'm really good at like but yeah, I'm.
Speaker 10: The prodo good at it.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 4: Big movie Weekend. Okay, so movie theaters is from the New York Times. They're embracing the lucrative business of buckets. We're talking about the popcorn buckets, okay, and they're they're there'se big things. Sometimes they're designed for major movies. It can sell as much as seventy dollars. Okay, sure, there's a couple behind you have the replica of I'm extra of Director's iMX camera for fifty buses.
Speaker 5: Are not just a cardboard No, these are like okay tech.
Speaker 4: This is a twenty two inch rendering of the Trojan Horse for seventy dollars, filled to the brim with popcorn, epic and they're collecting people collect.
Speaker 5: Them, so it's it's a cooling. They're so greasy, they're very faked.
Speaker 2: Butter, some soap and a sponge.
Speaker 5: What do you do with it after that dishwashing? I don't know.
Speaker 4: But there's a few companies, actually three that make these different buckets, so it's a little bit of competition there, but they're making good money. I'm telling you I would not fork over the seventy dollars.
Speaker 5: I guess maybe the popcorn is not the point.
Speaker 2: You guys went to a movie.
Speaker 4: I'm going this week?
Speaker 5: Are you? Finally? I'm not getting the.
Speaker 4: The Trojan Horse.
Speaker 5: I'm not doing it. Put it on the company card. I'd like to see that.
Speaker 2: I'd like to see if someone were too sneak into your house using a Trojan Horse style object, what would what would trick you?
Speaker 5: I guess maybe popcorn bucket?
Speaker 2: At least I feel I give you some sort of like expensive workout equipment, David.
Speaker 5: Maybe somebody's in the treadmill hiding away.
Speaker 2: He's a really large, nine handmade tie youse.
Speaker 3: Leave you with that amazing image, all those amazing images.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us on today's Bloomberg This Weekend Podcast. Don't forget to tune in live for the show every Saturday and Sunday morning, starting at seven am Eastern.
Speaker 3: We're on Bloomberg Television, Radio and the Bloomberg Business App, bringing you unique takes and in depth interviews on news, politics, lifestyle and culture.