Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news. This is a breaking news update from Bloomberg, instant reaction and analysis from our three thousand journalists and analysts around the world.
Speaker 2: The news is sparse, no change in rates, nine in favor, three decent slogan, Hammock and Cashkari. Other than that, there is not a word of difference between the June statement and this one. Economic activity is expanding at a solid pace.
Speaker 3: It says.
Speaker 2: Uncertainty is elevated in part because of the Middle East. Productivity, growth and capital investment are strong. Job gains have kept pace with the workforce, and unemployment has changed little. Inflation remains elevated relative to the two percent goal, in part reflecting supply shocks that have driven price shocks. The statement again concludes by saying the Committee will deliver price stability. I think this is the shortest summary I have ever given you, and I've padded it out a little bit just to make it a little longer and feel like I've done something. There's no real surprise in here. You could point to the dissenters, but they've all said something about inflation and the fact that we might have to raise interest rates in the future, so it doesn't really give you a clue about what's going on, and there's no hint in the statement about what might happen in the future. So if Kevin Warsh wants a spotlight definitely on him today.
Speaker 4: And Michael come back to you in just a second. Let's whip through the price action. So as expected, widely expected, no change on this decision, some descent not one, not two, but three dissenting voices from regional Fed presidents from the obvious places. The move in the market is interesting, though. Equity's off the lows on the S and P five hundred, just to raising some of the losses. So farther southternoon on the S and P five hundred, still negative, but not as low as we once were with the SMP negative just zero point three percent, and we're gaining some confidence in the tech trait. The nasdack down by point two. In the bond market, let's just the front end of the yield curve. Two yr yields were hired by basis point of two, now down four to four twenty five. So often talk about this Bramo, the difference between economist expectations and the risk that the market was pricing gain and clearly just a little bit of a gap there even with that descent, some relief at the front end of the curve a rally on two.
Speaker 5: So there truly was about a thirty percent chance of a FED rate hike at this meeting, and that chance was not necessarily fulfilled. It is notable, though, that there were three descents, and that I think is the news from this particular statement, given the fact that Neil Koshkari also joined Laurie Logan and Beth Hammick. I was on a panel with him and he was talking about this with a bunch of CEOs and saying this is a problem and it is more pernicious for the average consumer in this country right now that inflation is so high, the potentially the labor market is oftening because it's not and I think that is something that you are hearing in the minority.
Speaker 3: On the fair.
Speaker 4: The good news here for the leadership of Kevin Walsh early days quick reaction the descent came from the regional presidents and not from the board. Because it it came from one of the board members this afternoon, I think we'd be having a very different conversation tk to the one we're about to have.
Speaker 3: It's a market voting Apple five point zero five to three trillion dollars just out to a new record high three forty four. Is a market voting here on.
Speaker 4: Their new I think Apple's voting on a lack of CAPEX, and I think that's been a story on I hope, yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: That I get that run. But I mean, right here within the minutes after this announcement, with the SPX popping up as well, I mean, they certainly like what they saw.
Speaker 4: Well, let's take a step back and think about what's been happening in asset classes. We've had this massive move higher in energy and lots of volity in between, volatility in between. Over the previous five months. You've seen that ripple through interest rates. We've priced out cuts and in many places priced in hikes and in some places actually engineered rate hikes. What we haven't seen is a growth scare. The backdrop for growth is still pretty good consensus for GDPs that around two unemployment's been falling closer to four and away from five. That's good news. Now you've got a feeder reserve that doesn't still see a reason even with that as your backdrop. They don't see a reason high interest rates right now today. Some do, but not the committee as a whole. If you're looking at that from a risk asset standpoint on, that's risk positive without a doubt it is.
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean, they're moving forward, and to me, the key thing after Jackson All is to get to that next meeting. All of a sudden, Jackson Hole may be interesting.
Speaker 5: Oh, I definitely think it's gonna be interesting. We need to hear about insights from task forces. That said, right now, I do think you know how I think that they're going to be important to me. This is actually a fascinating statement. Does he set up a September rate hike with the idea that there are three descents and potentially there is another CTI and PPI print that will be potentially hotter than next.
Speaker 4: Dot to run back always early to publish. He says the following, I think the descents tell you the direction of travel. It will be very tough for WASH to hold the line into September. I hope Mike mc key's holding the line. Just before he goes into that news conference in about twenty five minutes time, Mike given the lack of new information here beyond just a descent. What's your approach to the news conference at two thirty Easton time?
Speaker 2: Well, I think we have to ask very direct questions of the chair. We can't ask him broad questions like what is your reaction function or something like that, because then he's going to just lead those questions and we won't get good answers. So we'll have to pick out some things like where we are with rates, are those sufficient at this point? Something to try to get him to give us some specifics on how he's thinking. But I think what you guys have just gone through is what he's looking for. He'd rather have you speculating markets speculating than give you a hint. And nature abhors a vacuum, so the markets are going to fill it with what they think might happen. But it's going to be hard for anybody to really know unless Worsh wants to start tipping his hand, which it'll be a battle between us and him.
Speaker 4: I guess looking forward to it. Mike, thank you, buddy. Can't start that news conference. Mi McKay will come into that news conference for us. It will begin at about twenty five minutes time. If you're just joined the program, welcome to the program. So unchanged to the Federal Reserve. But the vote is different. It's nine to three and the assenting voices are as follows bottom of the statement. Beth Hammock, Noil Kashgari, Lori logan descent coming from the obvious places, all three of those voting for an interest rate hike. At the bottom of the statement. That line sticks the committee will deliver price stability. We've got Bob Michael a JP Morgan Act Management alongside us. Bob, is that line in the statement enough for US not to question their commitment to price stability? With inflation running above target for as long as it has been running above target.
Speaker 1: I think the three descents are more important than that last statement. I think that it shows that they're starting to migrate towards tightening policy. You know, there's still seventy five percent of the voting members that were in favor of no change, so you're only a twenty five percent, But I think it's important. If I were at the press conference, I'd ask about quantitative tightening. Are they talking about that? Is that something they could start up again and help snug the liquidity that in the system.
Speaker 4: Best guess for September. Limited additional information, but best guess for September. What would you call now.
Speaker 1: They do nothing? But maybe there are four descents.
Speaker 4: Well, Michael is going to stick with us going into that news conference. Twenty five minutes away. Joining us now is Jim Bianco of Pianco Research. Jim, welcome to the program. It's a whole new world, a new era for this central bank. You've been writing about it extensively. Just first of all, your reaction to this decision this afternoon.
Speaker 6: Not surprised by the decision that the Fed did not raise rates. I still would defer with Bob and think that they are going to raise rates in September. I think the descents are the most important thing because one of the things I've been emphasizing is after Trump attacking this FED for two years, they want to be independent, and they've decided that independence is twelve independent voters. So what we're going to get at the press conference is one twelfth of the opinion of the Fed is we're going to get washed, or maybe we won't get it at all. If he doesn't express it. He's got a lot of power he could probably, you know, twist some arms to get them over the line whichever way he wants to go. I suspect that if they were all voting their true conscious, we might have had a few more descents, maybe not enough to raise raids, but a few deferred because he didn't want to do it.
Speaker 5: Would be my guest, Jim, do you think it's significant that none of the governors joined with the dissenters, even though there were some reports of some pretty interesting family fights over dinner last month.
Speaker 6: I'm mildly I was expecting that maybe Chris Waller was going to be a dissenter. He still might be a voter for a rate hike in September, maybe a couple of others. But I do want to emphasize again, we're going to parse every word that Warsh wants to say. I think that the FED is more of a vote tailing our exercise right now. You know, you got to look at all twelve people and say which columns are they in high colder cut and seven is a majority? And which column has seven? And that's what the Fed's going to do. That's how they work now.
Speaker 3: But Michael, the young Ripersentagim Bianco a couple of years ago, had an arch call calling for higher interest rates when no one was looking for it. The other day, Edyard Denny said, these are normal rates. We have to get used to rates being here again, is doctor Yardnny and Jim Bianco correct? We just got to get used to these higher rates.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think what we're seeing more broadly across the economy is a need for capex. There's demand for capital, there's a productive use of it. There's going to be competition and a cost of it. That's pre GFC kind of macro environment. You're not going back to zero to two percent rates.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 1: I think there's enough cause for them to hike in September as opposed to next year. I don't think inflation is going to change that much.
Speaker 3: I can't remember, Jennifer, you're on or off here, but you said this twenty minutes ago. What percentage of people in the street actually remember pre GFC.
Speaker 4: We were very live, and I remember what I said. I talked about the average engine on the trading floor, which is probably mid thirties right now. So the world that they used to is not the world that Kevin Walsh wants to take us. Back to it's also not the world that we've experienced in financial markets. Side it to your point, we had these anchors across fixed income for the last ten to fifteen years at least, and I have talked about them daily, how they're disappearing. Germany had fiscal prudence for decades, it's disappearing. Japan had disinflation deflation for decades. It's changed. And in America, the biggest companies in the planet were buying themselves, not issue in stock, not issuing debt. That's changed as well, the price of that. But what is the price of that and what part of this market is most vulnerable to that competition for capital?
Speaker 1: It feels like it's the sovereign market. I don't know a sovereign which isn't interested in investing in energy, security, in investing in the defense of its borders, in investing in AI and technology. More broadly, they don't have the budgets to do it. They're going to have to go out and borrow. That's going to create more competition for the capital. That's okay, that's a normal capitalist environ We're okay with that. But it doesn't mean zero to two percent central bank rates and treasury government bond yields is the right level. It means probably neutral rates for the FED are around three to five percent, and you're looking at a ten year treasury that who knows could be four to six percent.
Speaker 5: In this world where suddenly you have to battle for capital and Jim, I'd love your take on this. Is it a policy error if a FED share Kevin worsh allows the move to stick that we're seeing right now in markets. Now there is not a full rate hike being baked into September, and frankly, the initial move has given back at least at the long end of the yield curve. Do you think that it is important for this FED, whether it intends to hike or not, to keep the message that they are prepared to do so to tame inflation.
Speaker 6: I think so. If you want to back up, go back to September of twenty four, that's when the FED first started cutting rates. The thirty year yield was four percent, was exactly four percent. Right now it's five to ten. It's going up one hundred and ten basis points. While the FED has been cutting rates. By my measures, I can't find another example of a rate cutting cycle that produced that big a rate a yield increase in the long end since the nineteen eighties. But then again, we also had fourteen percent interest rates then and without that never in anything back to the nineteen fifties. So really, the market is trying to tell you that I think the direction of travel is going to be higher. It's more worried about inflation. And if the you know, go back to that last sentence, if the Fed wants to deliver price stability, I'll throw one another into you. Kevin Walsh said that inflation is a choice. They might have to choose to do something about it fairly soon and maybe as early as the September meeting.
Speaker 5: Jim.
Speaker 3: If they do something about it, do we continue with this robust nominal GDP we've seen.
Speaker 6: I think we can, and I also think if the Fed were to raise rates that that might put the high end yields for the year. I think part of the problem has been that now that we don't have forward guidance, the market is pricing what it thinks, and I think it thinks that's there's an inflation, let's say issue or worry. I don't want to go full blown problem or crisis it's not that bad. Yeah, and that's why yields keep going up. And I think you would like to see the old line, the old adage on Wall Street I've been using is that bond traders can relax or stop panicking won the FED starts panicking, and maybe a little bit of panic from the Fed might go a long way to helping the bond market stop with this yield rise on the long end.
Speaker 4: As about a point, Jim, I appreciate your time, buddy, as always, Jim Pianco there of Bianco Research, if you're just shown in the program, welcome a news conference with Chair Wash in about seventeen minutes time. The decision thirteen minutes ago, leaving rates unchanged to vote of nine to three, three dissenting voices, three regional FED presidents Hammock of Cleveland, Kashgari of Minneapolis, and Logan of Dallas, three voices who have given us a decent step that this might be the outcome of this meeting, at least for them. Next two weeks might be interesting. I think we're all going to look for that schedule, aren't we. Those speeches what everyone thinks, and this was always the problem for this fed chair looking to put communication back in the box, back in the bottle, and throw it away and bury it. Everybody else still wants to talk. And if you speak less, we just put more weight on the people that do speak. And that's what we'll be doing in the coming weeks.
Speaker 5: It's going to be a vote telling exercise over the next two weeks, with people watching every single press conference, every single speech and wondering who is going to be the additional voice to vote for a rate hike and how close are they And that is ultimately the calculus that we're going to see. Kevin Warsh could potentially put that back in the bottle if he gives us some sort of quantification or characterization of what the reaction function is. But barring that, we're going to be doing vote telling and we're going to have a bingo card and it's going to be a.
Speaker 1: Lot of fun.
Speaker 4: Can we go from three to four, to five, to six, etc. To seven? Dance swamk of KPMG joined just now for more. Dan, Welcome to the program. Do you believe this is the direction of travel? This is the first of many votes that will look for higher interest rates?
Speaker 7: Absolutely. I think the three percents from the president is exactly we should expect right now, and those descents were not done in a vacuum. They also are representing presidents who could not vote at this meeting. That is often what is done. And I also think many people on the board are leaning towards a rate hike as well. We've already gotten a lot of indication of that, and so I do think we do get rate hikes in September. I actually think today would have been better, but I expected them to skip today even though there was a thirty percent chance out there that they would do it today, because we're starting to get This is something that Kevin Warsh has said himself. We've had five years of inflation. It's not all the Fed's fault, but at the end of the day, it is the fed's choice, as Jim pointed out, to do something about it, and we need to do something about this inflation and has been around for too long and created a muscle memory. It's becoming the norm instead of the anomaly. And tomorrow we're going to get that PCE data, which the reason why Beth Hammock sort of threw down the Gauntlin and wrote the LinkedIn post hours befoard the fed's blackout period, letting us know exactly how she felt about race was because they were tracking the inputs on that number, and it will be three point three percent on the core and on the supercore I think three point seven percent supercore services. That is sticky and hot and hotter than it was at the beginning of the year.
Speaker 5: Well, Michael had a really good point earlier and she said, it kind of depends why they hike. Is it going to be that the data shows a reacceleration or is it just that they're running out of patients. And if they're running out of patients and tolerance of high inflation after more than five years, that typically isn't a great place for a central banker to be. And would you agree with that?
Speaker 7: I do agree with that to some extent, although I think we still got a little more inflation out there as well. But the problem is that it's just been too persistent. This is too long, for too much, for too long, and it's compounded much like I've argued, you know, compounding stock returns have raised the level of wealth, compounding inflation has risen the level of prices to be too high for too many, and that being front and center is not the definition of price stability. And that is what the Federal Reserve is charged to do. And with the labor market in a stronger position, there's no reason not to do it.
Speaker 3: Now. Well, Michael, I'm not going to go to the one with Sterling academics at Michigan and economics. I'm going to go to the classics major from Pennsylvania. Is it a small matter that the three des centers are an aerospace engineer educated, a public policy Lori Logan educated, and Beth Hammock of twenty one was on the desk at Golden Sex. Is this almost a dissent rebellion against traditional monetary economics?
Speaker 1: It may be more common sense than anything else. I think, as Diane pointed out, you've been a long way away from the two percent target for a long period of time. There could be a little bit of disinflation the system. I wonder what happens if the next couple prints on core PCEE you go from three to four to three, three to three one, and you see you're still above two percent. But what about in core CPI you go from two six to two five to two three, you're still above two percent. I think the sense reflect that, hey, we're not at our target. If this swings around the other way, we're poised to move, but you don't move yet. If you're starting to see some disinflat when.
Speaker 4: You talk about Goldman the death star in front of JP Morgan, can we do that on the desk?
Speaker 3: And I just nobody, nobody dissenting. John did the usual economic path.
Speaker 4: Let's go to that. Let's go to the quote of hers in the LinkedIn statement going into the quiet period, the lead up to this descent, there is no conflict in our mandate. Inflation is too high, the labor market is run around my level of maximum employment. For the first time in my tenure, I'm hearing from businesses who say they think we need to take action to curb inflation. And that's pretty punchy stuff. And when you said that dissent might be on the behalf of others on the committee who don't get a vote. How many regional FED presidents are hearing the same thing from that districts across this country.
Speaker 7: I think they all are, And I think that's the important you know, sort of what we're seeing out there. We are seeing many people across the country showing up in the Beige book as well. It's showing up out there that firms still have some pipeline even on last year's tariffs. So the new tariffs, they're reinstating old tariffs that won't add a lot of extra tariffs out there. But we also have Russia sanctions which allow up to one hundred percent tariffs on some of our trading partners at the discretion of the President. So those are coming going through Congress right now. All of that is more chook points, more shocks at the same time that we still have this persistent underlying inflation that's just not going away. And to think that it's going to go away on ZWN when we're seeing things like in the wages in the leisure and hospitality sector, which shed jobs last month, wages actually accelerated, that's something to watch. That's it's the service sector that is where we're seeing that booing sort of effect of wages. Also the cost holding up that inflation. That is something the Federal Reserve is very concerned about. You want low wage workers to get more pay, but only if they get more paid that's above and beyond the level of inflation.
Speaker 1: Bob, I'm struck by the neutral rate.
Speaker 5: We haven't talked about it once, but given the sort of competition for capital that seems to be going on globally, is it possible just that the real rate has to be a whole lot higher than people previously expected. And frankly, we're seeing that in the lack of any kind of erosion from demand.
Speaker 1: Remember when the Fed first started doing the dots in twenty twelve because they didn't think we in the markets were smart enough to know what normal look like. Again, so they were going to help us out. And you go to that long term median dot, which was perfect textbook. It was four and a quarter percent. How did they get there? Over the one hundred odd year history of the FED, the real Fed funds rate had been two and a quarter percent? What were they targeting two percent? You put the two together. There's your fancy algorithm for and a quarter percent. Wouldn't it be funny if that proves to be correct over the next decade.
Speaker 3: I look, John, where we are with this, and I just again, we got to get to the next meeting, this press conference. To me, I mean to Bob, it's gone out on Twitter. What Bob said about what are we going to see? We have no clue what we're going to see.
Speaker 4: Here zero zero, It's totally up to him.
Speaker 3: Will he be on time?
Speaker 4: I mentioned to Mike, I hope he will be. I mentioned to Mike earlier on this morning when we're on Bloomberg's surveillance, and I said to Mike, as a journalist, you have to change your questions because no one wants to be the journalist in the news conference that gets a two word response and it involves task force. No one wants to be that guy. So what the kind of questions you need to ask Kevin Walsh that maybe wouldn't have thought of asking cham and Powell?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well what? And what Mike said was you've got to be very specific. And I liked his question about specifically, how are you thinking about oil because right now you could say a lot of the inputs to inflation or supply shocks. How do you consider supply shocks when they are repeated supply shocks again and again and aren't likely to stop being shocks considering the fact that this conflict isn't going away anytime soon.
Speaker 4: Dan, You're great at this final question what's your question for the FED share You've talked about a new chair, an old guard. What's your question for this guy.
Speaker 7: I guess my question is really on that neutral rate, exactly as Bob outlined. I think we're actually lower than the neutral rate right now, and I think many on the FED believe that we're lower than the neutral rate, or at least at the neutral rate, which is not where we should be if inflation is at this level.
Speaker 4: Dan appreciate it. Dan swunk there at KPMG is such a good point. There's a phrase that you heard a lot, I think over the previous year or two when there were cunning rates. They talk about being sufficiently restrictive. How many times have you heard that in the last six months, being sufficiently restrictive. I haven't heard it at all from a single FED member.
Speaker 5: Because, guess what, the evidence doesn't back that up, that they're sufficially restrictive, because inflation moved in the wrong direction, and increasingly people are saying that the three insurance cuts you last year were a mistake, and that act we old some of the incredible run up and some of the memory chip names.
Speaker 4: Victori Fana as a crossmok joins us now for more Victoria, welcome to the program. Is it time to take back some of the insurance we took out last year with three cuts and the year before with interest rate cuts then too, Yeah.
Speaker 8: Jonathan, I actually thought that's why we might actually see a rate hike today, and that was going to be the explanation for it. Not that they were concerned about longer term inflation. They were going to be looking through the Middle East, through oil, all of that. I think that the concern was going to say, or the explanation was going to be, we're just taking off some of that accommodation from last year that wasn't really necessary. I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of the explanation they use at the September meeting, if they decide to hike then, but I definitely think it's part of that story. It's part of where is neutral rate. It's part of the concept that maybe we are not as restrictive as a lot of people think we are. All of that goes together to tell us we probably have a rate hike coming.
Speaker 5: Victoria. Or you're in the heart of oil land in the United States, you're in Houston and it's a huge boon going on, and I'm looking at the earnings coming from the oil sector and they're doing wonderfully. It's been both yes, penalization for some consumers, but on the flip side, it's only adding to some of the robustness that oil prices have gone up to such degree. How much do you agree with what we've heard from some regional FED presidents, which is that companies are asking for action as they see both the momentum increase in tandem with prices.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 8: You know, Lisa, it's an interesting topic because you always have people when oil prices come down, they want to know why they're not, you know, moving fast enough to bring oil prices down. And yet at the same time they want to know why these oil companies aren't investing more cash, Why aren't they drilling more, Why aren't they doing more things? And they have to have the free cash flow to do that, and I know their balance sheets are really strong right now. Energy is the best performing sector that we've seen so far this year, So I think there's an element here that the energy companies are really kind of sitting on their hands a little bit because they know that when the Middle East conflict is resolved, they're going to see that drop in prices. Look how quickly we saw prices come down almost what twenty five to thirty dollars a barrel for Brent and WTI when we had the memorandum of understanding, and we've seen it go back up in the last few days. I do think there's going to be a lot of volatility here. Earnings are actually expected to come down the rest of the year when you're looking at the energy sector, So I would be careful here. They're doing really well right now. I think it's a great long term holding to have in your portfolio, but I do think the energy companies are going to be a little bit cautious here, Victoria.
Speaker 4: Look how limited the runny was in bonds when we had that correction. Include It tells me that the outlook for rates is not that dependent on the path for royal. Is that a fair assumption of fact conclusion?
Speaker 8: I think it's a pretty fair assumption, Jonathan, because actually I think what the bond market is looking at is saying, wait a minute, yes we have this oil component, and it's making the headline numbers come down quite negatively. When we're looking at inflation reports, but the core and the super core where it's not included, we're actually seeing some still moves higher in those elements. So to me, that's the key question to this FED. How are we going to measure how much some of these shocks that you want to look through are actually seeping down into the economy as a whole. They say, the economy is expanding at a solid pace, but how long if we keep seeing pressures come in at that point? So I think the bond market is more concerned around that, more concerned around deficit spending, around money supply, not so much around oil price changes.
Speaker 4: Victoria, it's going to see you. I appreciate your time as always, Victoria Fernandez. There of crossmud going in on this FED decision. Equities this afternoon still negative by zero point five on the S and P five hundred in the bond market, twos, tens and thirty shaping up as follows twos yields down just a single basis point right now, twos around four twenty eight. Framing matters these three descents, What are the character what is the character of each individual descent? What will they say in the coming weeks in their statements? Is this about taking back the insurance they took out last year and the year before, or is it more than just that.
Speaker 5: Well, they were all indicated about taking back the insurance from last year, and they've all talked about the price pressure that consumers are feeling and that they're hearing, even from companies that said, my question is about the others and who's going to potentially join them at a time of incredibly volatile inflation, And is the volatility and inflation enough to actually get them more concerned that they need to make a move and take a step there.
Speaker 3: In defense of Chairman Warrish, we're all going to be waiting on the data now. I mean the data is incredibly important. Through Jackson hole under the next week.
Speaker 4: You're curious case of this particular meeting Tacres that we looked at the data and it was sefter than expected on CPI and PPI and it was a feeling that we would move on. And we sat around this table at the time when the data dropped on Bluebeck Savants on Blueback TV on that very morning, sat there with you and we both said the same thing. It removes the urgency to hike. It won't kill the story. The debate continues, and the debate does continue even this afternoon, and now we're talking about September and maybe Septembers the day, and this is the direction of travel. Story just won't go away.
Speaker 5: Take a look at earnings. Earnings have been on fire. And it's not just in the tech sector, it's across the board. The equal weights up performing also because of a fundamental kind of bleed.
Speaker 4: Up and regional banks in this country.
Speaker 5: I mean, really, it's something that's more significant, so sufficiently restrictive. If you're looking at crimp growth in any capacity or looking for a slowdown, it's not happening.
Speaker 4: Well, what I was going to say, final word, but you might be sticking around. I have no idea how this news conference will be, but give us a final thought on what you'll be looking for through what is not a sleepy summer.
Speaker 1: I think the Fed got it right today so far. We'll see if there's a press conference in what gets up or not. I'm particularly glad with the fact that they've listed the three dissenters. Let's assume that the vote had been seven to five in favor of a rate hike. By listing the five dissenters, we would know the seven people who voted for a rate hike, and we'd sit there and go, we got two or three, Where did the other four or five come from? What were they looking at? They didn't say any of this two weeks ago. What changed their mind is at all emotion, and I think that's a great regulator to a central bank and prevents them from just acting on emotion.
Speaker 4: Well, Michael at JP Morgan Asset Management, Bob, thank you. Might be back within five or ten minutes time. This news conference is about to begin. In about sixty seconds from now, a newly minted FED check Kevin Walsh, will appear for his second press conference. Widely criticized last time around, not for his refusal to offer forward guidance that's gone, We've moved on, but his refusal to articulate his so called reaction function. I think three dissenters of the FED have been pretty clear about how they think about the incoming data and where they think policy should be.
Speaker 5: I think Mike's question earlier is a really important one. How do you consider oil and how potentially does the increase in prices affect your view? Considering it does tend to be a one time shock, but when you have rolling shocks, there is another type of dynamic that takes hold, and that is what we've seen.
Speaker 4: I'm not a big gambler. In fact, I'm against betting, but we'll ask this question, how many trading flows right now? Do you think of taking bets about how long this news conference will be? Oh with Kevin Walsh.
Speaker 5: I think that's the question. I think we're taking bets right now because we're trying to figure out for programming reasons, we're gonna have to book out rush number. I think it's going to be. I think it's going to be forty five minutes and seconds.
Speaker 4: Bramot forty five and how many seconds?
Speaker 5: Forty five and thirty two seconds?
Speaker 4: You planned this game.
Speaker 3: I'm not playing this game. I think you watching Kelsey Barrow at JP Morgan with k Here. They're all around the terminals, you know, betting here.
Speaker 4: They're probably wants running the book at JP mooret.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think she's running the book. They're probably in a bar over at they're New dis Skyscraper