Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: This is the Blueberg daybaqre At podcast. Good morning, It's Wednesday, the third of June. I'm Caroline Hepka in London.
Speaker 3: And I'm Stephen Caroline Brussels. Coming up today, the US proposers new tariffs of at least ten percent on imports from the UK, the EU, China, and many others.
Speaker 2: The European Union moves to reclaim its digital sovereignty as Palente comes under fire from UK lawmakers.
Speaker 3: The US and around resume strikes. Is The top oil executive warns that everyone is asleep at the wheel.
Speaker 2: Plus seeking a fifteen million percent return. How revolutes founder used a half million dollar investment to create a company that could now net him seventy six billion dollars. Let's start with a roundup of our top stories.
Speaker 3: The US is proposing tariffs of at least ten percent on imports from most major trade partners following an investigation into goods allegedly produced using forced labor. The probes they are put one part of the administration's effort to revive Trump's tariffs after the Supreme Court ruled that many of them were unconstitutional. The ten percent rate would apply to imports from the UK, the EU, Canada, Mexico, and Taiwan. Products from other major economies, including China, India, Japan, South Korea, Brazil and Switzerland would be subject to a twelve and a half percent levy. Former US Secretary of State Mike Pompeio gave his reaction to the announcement as the news broke overnight.
Speaker 4: The President has used tariffs to try and achieve rejectives. That's a legitimate use of America's power to tax. Right, It's a very reasonable thing when you think other nations are not behaving in a way that are consistent with the things that matter to your citizens, the people that the president was elected to represent. Hopefully you'll set up clearly this is the expectation, this is the behavior we're trying to achieve. When you do that, you remove the tariff and countries go compete.
Speaker 5: But I have no problem with the.
Speaker 4: President that states to making assistant saying now this is this is the right thing to do.
Speaker 5: Countries will make their.
Speaker 3: Own choices, America's former chief diplomat Mike Pompeio, speaking to Bloomberg. The levies will not take effect immediately under a subject to a public comment and review period that begins this week.
Speaker 2: The European Union will today announce plans to boost its tech industry and reduce its reliance on America and other suppliers. A draft of the plan seen by Bloomberg contains measures on chips, cloud computing, and artificial intelligence, including driving construction of European data centers. The proposal is an effort to challenge US dominance of the sector from major names like Amazon Web Services, Microsoft a Zoo, and Google Cloud. Former Executive Vice President of the European Commission, Margareta Vestayer has told Bloomberg Radio that Europe needs more alternatives.
Speaker 6: I think it's really important to define technological sovereignty as a question of control.
Speaker 7: Can you control what is essential to you?
Speaker 6: And of course not all data's equal, but some data is more than other data. And I think it's really important that data that you really want only to be for European jurisdiction, then you make sure that you have only European jurisdiction.
Speaker 2: Margaret Avesta there who helped to develop the Used Digital rule Book. It comes amid reports that the bloc's twenty billion euro investment plan in AI data centers faces a number of delays and funding issues sources Heel Bloomberg. The EU's efforts to back gigafactories announced last year lack clarity about demand and subsidies.
Speaker 3: In the UK, members of Parliament are calling on the government to break its contract with Palent, Heer branding it an unacceptable point of weakness. US software companies being branded a major risk by lawmakers on the Science, Innovation and Technology Committee Bloomberg.
Speaker 5: James Wilcock has the story.
Speaker 8: Palente is the number one concern for MPs looking at how the public sector manages its data. They note the UK government is rely on a tiny number are very powerful tech supplieres for its infrastructure, but they single out the US software company for its over political positions, which they call a clear mismatch with British values. Palente has previously defended itself as saying the company operates like all other government tech vendors, but the growing political backlash is a sign of the changing attitudes towards relying on America and its firms in London. James Wilcock Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: The fragile ceasefire in the Middle East faces its latest test after US forces intercepted Iranian strikes and hit a command center in the Islamic Republic. US Central Command said that Iran had launched ballistic missiles and drones towards neighboring countries, including Kuwait and Bahrain. His honor and are managing editor for the Middle East and Africa.
Speaker 9: The bottom line of what's happening, including those missile attacks by Iran and the US response, is that we are seeing an editation in the market.
Speaker 10: People are losing.
Speaker 9: Belief that the longer this process takes, the more likely it is to see risks seculdly railed whole peace process, if we can call it that, and the agitation is expressing itself in many ways.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg's Honor and there as the US military is pursuing less public ways of protecting vessels in the Strait of Homers with a quiet version of Project Freedom. Bloomberg understands that some ships are turning off their transponders and sticking close to the Omani coast to avoid Iranian minds, with the US military assisting if needed.
Speaker 3: Vital's top executive in the Middle East says Europe and the US aren't facing up to the growing oil supply crunch. Speaking at an SMP Global conference in London, Tom Baker accused Western governments of being asleep at the wheel when it comes to the crisis. Vital estimates global demand destruction at around four million barrels a day, with countries delaying purchases and the hope that a resolution to the Iran war will bring down prices. Brankr morning's trading just over at ninety seven dollars a barrel, up one percent.
Speaker 2: SpaceX is aiming to sell shares at one hundred and thirty five dollars a piece for its record breaking seventy five billion dollar IPO. According to Reuters, the firm is breaking the traditional listing process of announcing a price range before marketing the shares and setting the price before trading begins. Dan Ives, global head of Technology research at web Bush Securities, says investor interest in tech is set to continue.
Speaker 11: It's a tie a way of VIPs that are coming, but they're all at the heart of the AI revolution, and I think to some extent, when you look where we are, we continue believe this AI party start in nine pm.
Speaker 5: It's about eleven thirty pm.
Speaker 12: Party goes to four AM turn i'ves from web Bush Security speaking there, the deal involving Elon Musk's firm would be the largest IPO on record, more than doubling the twenty nine point four billion dollars that was raised by Saudi Ramco that was back in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 3: Voters in California have been casting ballots on who should lead the country's most populous state. Democrat Javier Bersera and Republican Steve Hilton took early leads in California's governor primary to replace Democratic Governor Gavin Newsom, with about half the ballots reported. They each have about twenty six percent of the vote, according to decision desk KATEQ. In the Meryal race in Los Angeles, early results suggest that a runoff between Democratic incumbent Karen Bass and reality TV star Spencer Pratt, who was a registered Republican.
Speaker 2: Now Here in the UK, the police response to a murder in the UK has sparked outrage across the political spectrum and protests outside of police station. Henry Novak was handcuffed as he lay dying last December after his killer, victim Digwa, falsely accused him of racism. In bodycam footage, the eighteen year old can be heard saying I've been stabbed, to which an officer replies, I don't think you have. Yesterday, the Prime Minister gave his reaction after viewing the footage.
Speaker 10: It's harrowing and I have to say, as a father of a seventeen year old boy, I felt sick watching it.
Speaker 2: Kis Palmer says there are serious questions for the police to answer, while Reform UK's Nigel Farage says the reaction to the murder should be one of pure cold rage. Those are our top stories for you this morning. Let's look at the markets now. Global equities advancing to new highs, the MSCI All Country World Index up a tenth of one percent, but demand for AI stocks is really only intensified, with the topics breaking above four thousand. China's China Eggs and the Staff fifty index both also surging. US, though and European stock futures are actually both in the red. Usox pitty futures down by just above a tenth of one percent. The yenin focus with a speech from Governor Awada in Japan. In terms of bond markets, treasury yields up one and a half basis points at four forty six These as global diesel stockpiles have declined to fresh lows and break through futures this morning, currently up one point two percent, trading above ninety seven dollars.
Speaker 10: About those are the markets in.
Speaker 3: A moment more only You plans to reduce its reliance on American technology, Plus how the founder of Revolute could be in line for one of the biggest fortunes in the financial industry.
Speaker 5: But another story that caught a right this morning. The Bank of England's going wild.
Speaker 3: Perhaps not in the usual sentence we say about the center of bank, but they've opened a public vote on which wildlife animals they would like to replace historical figures on the next series of banknotes. So instead of Winston Churchill, the public can choose from a list of eighteen creatures, including a barnell, an Atlantic Puffin, a Pine Martin or a basking shark. The decision amounts first back in March, triggered outcry among some right wing politicians, but it was actually making the public said they wanted. There was a consultation run by the Bank last year and sixty percent of those nominated the theme of wildlife versus only thirty eight percent, just so they wanted to continue with noble historical figures.
Speaker 2: Yeah, unlike a past a public of votes, the Bank of England gets the final say for anyone who remained.
Speaker 5: We have enough to do, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, boat boat face was on a public vote that caused controversy for the naming of a ship. But anyway, look, banknotes have been reduced to symbolism in lots of rays because actually so few people use them in real life. But you're right, replacing Churchill, Shakespeare, Austin Turing has actually been quite controversial for some beyond the kind of politicking. I think there is a sort of question mark about, you know, replacing nature and of these you know and historical figures, about what that kind of symbolizes.
Speaker 10: Are you replacing the drive kind.
Speaker 2: Of industry and discovery with something pastoral that feels I don't know, quite different novel and.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure it's something I didn't realize. Parirly wildlife also is really helpful for security in banknotes, na the way that they can use it. You know, if there'll be like a secret message hidden in a puffin's beak that perhaps you'll be able to protect your bank note from being encounterfit anyway.
Speaker 5: Also, who uses cash?
Speaker 3: So I think it's the question of how many of these banknotes they'll actually be producing they eventually get made anyway.
Speaker 5: It's the subject to provoked lots.
Speaker 3: Of debate among our team this morning, but you'll find a link to the story in our podcast show Notes. Well, let's turn back to one of our top stories this morning. The European Union will today announce the plan which aims to boost its technology industry. The so called Tech Sovereignty Package is an effort to confront US dominance in the sector, and our eutech reporter Jhan Valpaicelli is with us in studio for more this morning. First of all, what do we know about what's in this package?
Speaker 13: Well Son, The announcement is coming this afternoon, but we already know that the packages is going to contain four main pillars. The first one is going to be about Cloud and the I, the so called Cloud and the I Development Act KADA. The second is going to be a Chips Act. That's a second Chips Act. There was a Chips Act already in twenty twenty three. The third document is going to be about open source, essentially encouraging the take up of open source software in the year and the fort is going to be about energy and THEI, both in terms of sustainability of AI data centers and in terms of using AI to make the most sustainable How feasible.
Speaker 2: Though, do you think it is to actually try to reduce your stupendency on American tech?
Speaker 13: Well, that's the main question about the entire endeavor, I guess right. If you look at the cloud computing market, for instance, there's a study by the European Parliament, another institution in Brussels, which has realized that seventy percent of europe persential the European cloud market is dominated by the big three US cloud companies, so the feed is very large when it comes to cloud. Very similar problem with Chips. The U in twenty twenty twenty twenty three when the first Chips actors passed was helping to double its production or worldwide production of semiconductors from ten percent to twenty percent by twenty thirty. That target seems very very unfeasible right now, it's kind of been abandoned. So how is it going to be? I think it's going to be easy. I suppose that no one is really dreaming of replacing the US completely. It's more about having at least a slice of the market that might be sheltered in case of very serious geopolitical tensions trade disruptions.
Speaker 5: So it's really about.
Speaker 13: Edging more, having more of it, than replacing it completely.
Speaker 3: An illustration of the difficulty in this as well as in your latest reporting to on the euse efforts to invest in AI data centers.
Speaker 5: That's run into trouble too. What's gone wrong there? That's a bil.
Speaker 13: Less tragic than it sounds. It's most about the U promising too much too late, meaning that it unveiled this project to create five to even ten now so called giga factories AI giga factories, which is essentially data centers with advanced American AI chips to train AI models, design, developed and operating in the EU. That plan was unbuilt I think late last year. But the U is getting close to the end or its current budget cycle, so the funding that was announced is actually not fully available right now. Only a few of these giga factories could be funded with the current budget, so the delays are mostly due to the fact that the next budget one that we will span from twenty twenty eight to twenty thirty four is still in the negotiation. So yeah, delays are not natural in that department. Of course, maybe there's a pr failure there because a lot of the companies were preparing, really raring to go already and that's not the case for a bit. But we expect an announcement a call for official bits to be opened in July.
Speaker 3: So okay, John, thank you very much for joining us. John Varpatality, there are EU Tech Reporter in the Brussels studio this morning. Stay with us. More from Bloomberg Daybreak Europe coming up after this.
Speaker 2: Well founded by Nikolai Stronsky in twenty fifteen, Revolute is aiming for a near two hundred billion dollar initial public offering within the next two years. From startup to fintech juggernauts. In today's Bloomberg Big Take, Aisha Ghani has done a deep dive into the business and she joins us now. Nick Schronsky, he is massively ambitious, He's been huge successful.
Speaker 10: How close is he.
Speaker 2: To building, as he puts it, the first global bank?
Speaker 7: Yes, that's right.
Speaker 1: Revelue already has seventy five million customers around the world, from the UK to Mexico. They're already picking up bank licenses around the globe. However, there is a huge, huge, untapped market still for Storronsky to access and they have a way to go, and their peal of Revolute is the Stronsky factor. He is hugely ambitious. They want to get to one hundred million customers. They recently said they hope to achieve that by this time next year, so there's a long way to go. However, they're already disrupting the banking space, and I think that's a huge part of this story.
Speaker 7: As they go around.
Speaker 1: The world and as they pick up these licenses, they're arriving with their product, whether it's their FX product to their business banking.
Speaker 3: So how much does he stand to make them from an IPO part of.
Speaker 1: This ambition is that Staunsky's own wealth is tied to the success of this company that he's built. He had initially put in half a million of his own funds when you started up the company.
Speaker 7: The company is now worth.
Speaker 1: Seventy five billion, and we have found that that puts him at twenty point four billion dollars in terms of his own wealth, which makes him the UK's richest man. Now, when it comes to IPO, he has revealed that he's eyeing a listing within two years. And according to internal documents that I've obtained, we see that his incentives and his compensation increases with revolutes valuation and according to this document that ends at just under two hundred billion, and at two hundred billion valuation and revolue, he could be worth seventy six billion dollars.
Speaker 7: Which is absolutely huge.
Speaker 1: And we're talking about a wealth that exceeds Ken Griffin or Steve Schwartzman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is extraordinary, isn't it. There are some hurdles though, and you've highlighted them in your reporting.
Speaker 10: Some hurdles for Revolute.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's aiming for one hundred million customers in one hundred countries and this lofty valuation. You know, there are plenty of issues though for this app to deal with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, and just tink it quickly back to the IPO.
Speaker 7: I mean, Stornsky has said that part of the reason.
Speaker 1: Why he wants to go public is for gaining that trust. You know, you have a lot of trust as a public company, So as a company gets bigger, it also means that you get a lot more scrutiny from watchdogs around the world. You have to continuously pre to regulators around your governance structure.
Speaker 7: It means that the very nimble digital.
Speaker 1: Lending company will have to handle the red tape that banks have to deal with day in, day out, and so that's a challenge to the kind of model that investors are so used to seeing. As we delve into the financial accounts of Revolute right now, they look like a very conservative payments firm.
Speaker 7: They make most of their money from fees, and so we.
Speaker 1: Ask the question what that will look like as they add more lending to their books, and they have to also keep up with their profit margins, which have been absolutely staggering. So those are some of the risks that we outline in this story. I'm here in Amsterdam for Money twenty twenty, where a lot of the execs will be speaking on stage, and there's a lot of buzz around this firm, especially when you look at the sector as a whole. So they've got these huge ambitions. For so far they've been checking off and they've been investing in these locations as well. Just this week revenue, announce additional investment into France. Much is the delight of Macron even with the ukend banking license. It took over five years to achieve that, so we'll see what happened.
Speaker 5: Thanks for listening to Bloomberg Daybreak Europe.
Speaker 2: If you're enjoying the podcast, give us a follow, leave a rating or review, and maybe send it to that one friend or colleague who's always trying to keep up with the news.
Speaker 3: And if one podcast today isn't enough for you, you can also listen to us live every weekday from six am in London on DAB Radio, on tune in and on the Bloomberg Business app
Speaker 2: Or if you've got a smart speaker nearby, just say play Bloomberg Radio