Speaker 1: No one has all the answers, but when we ask the right questions, we get a little closer, closer to truths, closer to each other, even closer to ourselves. I'm journalist Danielle Robe, and each week my guests and I come together to challenge the status quo and our own ways of thinking by daring to ask what if, why not? And who says?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: Come curious, dig deep, and join the conversation. It's time to question everything. So there's this scene in the first Devil War's Prada, the one from two thousand and six, where Andy Sachs changes, and I don't mean just her clothes, it's her whole posture that shifts. She walks through Manhattan a completely different person, right, more confident, more radiant, more legible to the world around her, and the lesson The movie quietly hands us is this style is what you put on to become who the room expects you to be. Now, today's guest watch that movie. The year it came out, sitting in the offices of Vogue with her colleagues at Vogue at her first real job at Vogue, she called it extremely accurate, but she lasted eighteen months and Now Aaron Walsh is the stylus in partnership with some of the most iconic women in culture, Sarah Jessica Parker, Carrie Washington, Selena Gomez, and yes Anne Hathaway herself, which means as Devil Wears Prada, too enters the world, the woman who once watched the film as a junior fashion assistant is now the one dressing its star. It's kind of a full circle moment that sounds inventive. And here's what I find so interesting. Aaron's philosophy flips the original film's lesson completely on its head. The first movie asked what should I wear to become who they want me to be? Aaron asked the total opposite, Who do I want to be? And how do I start showing up as her right now to before anyone else has waited in It's the central question of her new book, The Art of Intentional Dressing. Her argument is that we don't get to control most of what happens to us, but we do control the rituals, the three words we choose for the day, the closet we walk into, the version of ourselves we decide to embody before the world even has a chance to ask anything of us.
Speaker 2: You don't get to decide how you wake up feeling. You don't get to decide what her balls get thrown your way. But you can keep reconnecting with that intention, and that's what's going to keep you in integrity with yourself and that woman that you want to be.
Speaker 1: She calls closets portals of possibility and says that getting dressed can be a form of therapy, which I honestly thought might be nuts, but after talking with her, I'm fairly convinced she's right. So today we're getting into it. The three word practice she does every morning, why she thinks every woman needs to clean out her closet four times a year, what it actually feels like to dress someone for a moment that two hundred million people will see, And most importantly, the question we are circling, which is how should you be getting dressed? I'm just kidding. The question we're really circling, who do you want to be? In this room? It's time to question everything. With Aaron Walsh erin the Devil Wars Prodatu is about to come out into the world, and your connection to the movie feels so kismet because when I was looking into your background, I kept thinking, this is almost full circle. You have a real life Andy Sacks arc to your personal story going back to two thousand and six, Can you tell me about your introduction to the fashion world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I fell into fashion by accident. I went to NYU to be an actress, and I graduated and panicked and decided that did not seem like a proper route to success, and I just quit immediately. It was like within two months. I'd always loved clothes, I'd always been entrusted in fashion to the point like even growing up, I would like lie in bed thinking about outfits for going to sleep. But in terms of getting a job in fashion, like because I stopped acting, I needed to work, so I got a job in a store, and then I worked in PR for a second and hated that because I'm not a very good salesperson, And so I thought, well, maybe I could write like I loved writing. I was even like working on writing a movie at the time, and I'd written plays, and so I thought, well, maybe I can write for a magazine like I love fashion, And I started tempting a Conde Nast, and there was an opening in the fashion department. I thought, well, like, I don't even know that much about photo shoots, but maybe that's the way and I can get into features and start writing that way. And I immediately got a job with Phyllis Posnik, who was executive fashion editor at Vogue, and she had been there longer than Anna, like the editor was there the longest, longer than Grace, longer than anybody. And yeah, that was my first big fashion job. And it was in two thousand and six, the year the Devilwaar's product came out, and we all watched it together and it was extremely accurate. And it's funny, like being on a tour like this. It's like so meta in so many ways, and like the twenty year arc of it, it's funny.
Speaker 1: And you were living it. You wrote, this is where I will be for the next thirty years. That first day, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I don't even have that good of a memory, but there's certain like very seminal moments in your life. And I remember my first day walking into Vogue, like seeing like the letters on the wall. I consider myself to be an intuitive person, but I had this hit. I'm like, oh my god, I'll be here for the next fifty years, like I can feel it. And I was obviously very wrong because I was not the right fit for my boss, and I did it last longer than a year and a half. But I think what I felt was this deeper connection to fashion and its possibility and its potential purpose in our lives. And that's something that in starting my career at Vogue, I really learned to live and breathe and embody and appreciate because working at Fogue we were working with like the best of the best photographers and talent and teams in the world. And as they you know, alluded to in the first Devil Wars product film, the respect for the art of fashion that was my training. So I've always seen it as something that's not so much more more than just the clothes.
Speaker 1: I love that you said that, because when I started working with really brilliant photographers, I started seeing things differently, almost everything architecture, product, clothing. There's something about the way they view the world that is so artistic and incisive.
Speaker 2: I love what you're saying about that, Lens, because I think a lot of people remove themselves from the conversation of fashion and they choose to not turn on their lens themselves, even they remove themselves from the conversation because it might seem complicated or maybe their lives don't need it. But everybody has to get dressed in the morning, So like it or not, you are using a lens, so why not get intentional about it? And in terms of inspiration, yeah, like you talking about photographers who inspire you. I think the more you can train your brain to be intentional about every single thing, the more your antenna picks up to receive information and keep growing and evolving and living. A life of design is just doing, doing, doing and losing the plot.
Speaker 1: So that's how it started in two thousand and six. That was twenty years ago, and now you're styling Andy Sacks herself the amazing Ann Hathaway. That story alone is sort of a plot in a movie. Did you ever imagine that you'd be on the other side making the star of that film look equally iconic as that character.
Speaker 2: My life is such a series and especially workwise of like serendipitous moments that might be too good to be true. When I was introduced to Annie seven or eight years ago was not lost on me. Like I loved the movie Stella War's product, and it affected us who were working that way because the layers of it, and one of the themes in that movie is this idea of not enoughness and not feeling like you're enough to do the job, to fulfill the role, to be the person to do that responsibility. And I think those themes resonated so deeply with me at that time, and it's one of the reasons why I wanted to make a book later on. It's in the making of art and being creative and looking at ourselves and we heal like art is a healing mechanism. I know, I keep like going on tangents, but it has been so beautiful because in working with Annie, there's so many mirrors in both of our lives that have been healing and helpful together. And I do think the silly synchronicity of that even like just the nuances of that time. It was a time in two thousand and six when you're like sending facts is of shows like back and forth to Paris, of the reviews, and it was such a different time. So nobody's been able to see the new film yet, I haven't even seen it. Working behind the scenes on that Yeah, it's not lost on me. It's pinched me. But I think living in that pinched me consciousness of the wildness of our reality and being grateful for that is a key to happiness and living and joy too. So it is crazy, cool, hilarious, and it's not lost on me.
Speaker 1: Ever, when you look back at it, does it feel like manifestation or destiny or years of quietly building towards something all of it?
Speaker 2: I think I must be a crazy manifestor because these kinds of like people and synchronicities that have happened over the course of my life just seems so magical, and it's not without thought or effort. Like I work very hard and I put all of myself into every single thing, Like my work ethic is intentional, the same as my relationship with my children and how I want them to grow up to be. But I believe manifestation that comes from living consciously in a place of intention right and taking the actions that align with that intention. And so whether that's prepping for a press chur or raising humans that you want to be considerate in this world, it all comes down to living in integrity and taking responsibility for your choices and how you treat other people, and the words you say to yourself, how you dress obviously, because you know every single thing kind of could be a ceremony when you get intentional about it. That's why it was so important to me to start a movement that gave women and back the means to embody the version of themselves that we sometimes lose in the doing and in the business of life.
Speaker 1: Well, when I looked back at your career thus far, one of the things I found so interesting was that so many of your clients are attached to these iconic fashion films or fashion moments. So Sarah, Jessica Parker, Carrie Washington, of course, Anne Hathaway now Selena Gomez. But you're the one that's helping them live up to that image that we all have in our minds. Is there added pressure when people already have this fantasy of who that person is supposed to be.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, But I would also say I would always put that pressure on myself too, because I have such high standards and the honor to work with people that you look up to, that I look up to, that so many people look up to. Got to keep the bar high in terms of the pressure of course since there when there's so many eyes, but I try to use it. It's like you want to alchemize it into the product, into the moment. So that's always a part of it.
Speaker 1: When did you realize that you weren't just dressing someone that you were like helping shape how culture sees them.
Speaker 2: I feel like probably in the past ten years. I think I always loved what I was doing, and I loved clothes and I loved lighting people up. I think like even at the beginning, working with someone like Carrie and watching the cultural response to that and the zeit guys shift around her and people really respond to like this iconic character she was putting out there and what that represented and honoring that moment like that definitely felt more than just about clothes. And that was at the beginning, like fifteen sixteen years ago. Definitely along the way, you know, with Sarah Jessica, there were some really big moments and I had looked up to her so much from when I first moved to New York City. She was like fashion icon and you know very much still is so like even meeting her for the first time and working with her, that metanis that that happened was never lost on me either. And there was a moment with her too where we did a commercial like before they did and just like that when you know, Sex and the City was still in the past and I had to help costume her as that character and it was like, this is crazy, it's too wild to be true. And certainly, yeah, the eyeballs on a Selena and Annie, there's a lot And so you could just take that in and let the pressure overwhelm you, that wouldn't serve the work. So it's okay to be conscious of it, but you have to focus on the invention, which ultimately to me is always rising up to the moment and helping somebody embody their best self and really, you know, help tell the story of who they want to be with the world. Which the reason why my lens of fashion it's for everybody is because I don't think like the movie stars are separate than us. I think we look up to movie stars because we see in them something we want for ourselves, something we want to embody. So that's how I got to this place of designing a method centered around how do you want to feel whether you're at a movie premiere in front of two hundred million people or just you and your closet in the mirror in the morning. How do you want to feel? What do you want your life to look like? What do you want it to feel like? How can your choices, starting with what you wear and the ritual that you give yourself to get started. How does that serve you and then help you better serve others.
Speaker 1: Have you ever gotten a Miranda priestly look of disapproval from a client?
Speaker 2: Of course, but you know what, I love criticism. That was one of the first lessons I learned at Vogue. You could like be a martyr and take everything personally and all like poor me, they didn't like this dress, and like, you can't control everything's received. This is one of the reasons why I love mel Robbins. You got to use the criticism, and that's the alchymization part too. Use it, understand it, let it become a part of your process. There's been so many wonderful criticisms I've heard from, whether it's clients or teams, that have been so healthy, full and you know, productive and making it better, making the work better, making the product better, making the person feel better. So don't use criticism to feel bad about yourself, channel it and what doesn't work like brush it off or solters.
Speaker 1: I always try and take it critically, not personally or seriously and not personally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can try, and I will sing sometimes sure, Like we're all human and I definitely live with an open, big heart and you can be aware of that. But like you also have to learn to like keep changing, keep it all and keep moving.
Speaker 1: So curious about your theory and the story you're telling when you dress people for premiers, because I feel like the Barbie movie premiere Saga changed things so dramatically. I see celebrities like dressing to the theme of the film. But it's like, in this elevated, kitchy way, what is that.
Speaker 2: Called well method dressing? That would be like dressing like the theme of the movie. That's certainly a thing. I was talking with Mickayla, who styles Merrill, and she was saying she calls it like for this film, she's calling it meta dressing because there's so many layers to like that then and now for both of us. She was an Internet folk, so I love a world of telling stories, so I definitely love to use elements of that but it's always collaborative. I don't mean to sound so dorky about it, but it's rooted in service. I want people I work with to shine and to feel great, and then you like weave all the elements of storytelling into it, but a method, a little bit of referential.
Speaker 1: Part of me feels like because you were an actor yourself, that you deeply understand the roles that they're stepping into. I do.
Speaker 2: The reason I loved acting is I just think one of the fundamental best parts of being alive is the embodiment and like when you can fully feel, as Joseph Campbell says, the rapture of being alive, you know, so helping people to do that is just so much fun. And when things don't land or they don't work as we want to, I feel that too.
Speaker 1: But I was reading that even when you were acting, it was about clothing for you, Like do you remember the first time that you fell in love with a piece of clothing?
Speaker 2: I mean, there are so many visceral moments of like my mom and my grandma. My mom was a lawyer, Like she had this ceremony of getting dressed every day and like always very elegant and my grandmother too, just really intentional about style as a little girl, like it was important even to my mom to dress us a certain way and especially for like church on Sundays, and in terms of like fashion, definitely, when I moved to New York to go to NYU, I got into some vintage shopping. One of the first things I bought at the vintage shop down from NYU was this, because it's almost famous. I was like a couple of years out then, and I got like a Penny Lane jacket that I.
Speaker 1: Was obsessed with.
Speaker 2: And I also bought a lot of two too, is that like Geminola, And thought I was SJP And I was very good at thrifting, like you know, warm heels and step then two and I really made every weekend like let's tear up. I thought living in New York was extremely cool and I wanted to dress the part.
Speaker 1: I love that you mentioned your mom and your grandmother because I loved reading about them in your book. You said your mom was a lawyer and you grew up loving watching her get ready.
Speaker 2: I loved watching her get ready. I loved watching her get ready for work. I loved watching her get ready for dinner. I loved watching her come home and change and take a bath, and like the ceremony of that. I was witnessing this attention to detail and the ritual of both getting dressed and undressed. And it's something too like people forget when they get home. That's a whole other demarcation of your day, and that can be a ceremony. Even now, if I have a crazy day at work, I always change when I get home, take off the jewelry, take a moment, just that presence with yourself, even for like one minute, it honors well you have been embodying during the day. How do you need to feel when you get home? What's the shift? And the more you can be conscious of all these shifts and all these needs all the time, I think, the more of a sense of calm and gratitude you'll find even when things feel chaos like or overwhelming.
Speaker 1: I was reading that people were telling you at a young age that you needed to be in fashion, truly aerin if I showed you my childhood photos, nobody would be saying that about me. I was wearing like tied ie shirts and cowboy boots and mismatched absolutely everything. What do you think you were doing that made people recognize that in you from such a young age.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it was my style per se, although I was always like experimenting. I know, I've always liked things just so, and I'm not OCD, but it's more like, I think I'm just very feminine, like even thinking in high school, I was always doing things slightly different. I wasn't afraid of doing things outside of box. But I think it was just like this. You could call it girly, but I think it's more of like this elevated way of looking at things and seeing things or wanting them to be in any case, even if they weren't so.
Speaker 1: Anne Hathaway wrote the forward of your book, and she wrote that you both share grandmother energy. I was laughing because I too feel I have grandmother energy, but I need to double check and make sure that it's the same grandmother energy as she's talking about.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's so. I feel like I was born a thousand year adults. And what's so funny about that is my oldest daughter, Matilda is ten, she almost eleven. When I looked at her when she was born, she had that too. It was like I saw it from the second and a friend of mine had told me, when you have your baby, like to take a moment just to like look at them in the eyes, because you see their essence, you see their soul. And I recognize that in her, and it's just so out of this world. Yeah, the grandmother energy, it's many things at once. I think like this sense of time, you know, certainly, and not wanting to lose time or waste time. I think this sense of value for like the ground durer of things. There's so many layers to it. We can unpack this more. But that was very wise of her. We're very Sopotico.
Speaker 1: Do you think the grandmother energy informs the way you style?
Speaker 2: I think the mother energy certainly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's how I am with clients, even to the point where like I get protective in public, you know, just like energy in space. I always have been like that with clients. I have Mom energy with all my clients I do. I'm like very protective and the whole ceremonial when they leave, and it's like everybody's looking major. I've been brought to tears before, very mom.
Speaker 1: Okay, I want to actually dig into the looking major part, because before we go deep into your book, it seems like you've had this long term love affair with clothes. And if fashion is a kind of romance for you, what does it feel like when you're searching and searching for the perfect look and then you finally find the one, like you know the woman, you know the event, you know the energy you want to create, and then everything clicks.
Speaker 2: Gosh, we had one of those moments today which I can't tell you about yet. The one thing I'm so excited about the book is this idea of learning to trust your intuition and in those moments, like with major looks, you know it clicks because it's a visceral thing. You can feel it. And the more you train your body to feel something because we all just jump jump jump to the next thing, but like you know when something's like sick, and in terms of you know something, especially in these moments with many eyeballs on it that could potentially be viral. Knowing the moment like what you feel and being connected to the intention, then like it's just ripple effects from there, you kind of know when something's really going to allow you just do do.
Speaker 1: You ever have to be like, Okay, this is good enough, Like, we can't get that feeling for every single look.
Speaker 2: I think you know when they're like blonkers, and you know when something serves the purpose. Yeah, I think you always want to do better and keep raising the bar. But look, if somebody's going to like a chill interview, maybe it doesn't need to be like ground bridging. It could just be that they feel.
Speaker 1: So how often do you get that feeling? As a stylist, we're talking romance, I'm like, is it as rare as real love? Like? How often does that happen? Again?
Speaker 2: This fashion part, that element of red carpet moments. I think the moment a handful of years ago I really started zoning in on this intentionality is when I just started feeling this electric current in the work and it was like people were getting magical and the big audiences were feeling this too. Became like the shared exchange, which was incredibly exciting, very grateful for that.
Speaker 1: Intentionality is definitely one of the words I would use to describe the book. I also feel like a big part of it is knowing how you feel in clothing. I guess I can share for myself. I had a moment of knowing in my style. When I really actually knew myself better, I had more self awareness and then something changed. For people who stru with their emotional intelligence or don't feel like they've hit sort of like that evolution, that moment, yet, how do you think they can begin to access it through fashion?
Speaker 2: I think a lot of the mistakes people make with fashion is they look at what they're being told to like, or what's trendy, or what works on a certain body type, or like what the working woman should wear. Like these prescriptions, which while it's helpful to look at what might inspire you, a random prescription for you, doesn't usually work because it's not centered on how you want to feel. Number one, getting to the point where you feel great and like you can trust yourself and you know that you know how to use the tools. That starts with getting clear on how you feel now, which means getting vulnerable with yourself. Because most people they think they can like grab a power jacket and just feel instantly awesome without actually thinking about first, how am I feeling now?
Speaker 1: Is that tired? Overwhelmed?
Speaker 2: You know, anxious? What does that person need? What kind of tools does she need at her disposal? Maybe she needs like a softer thing in the mix. How do I want to feel? Three words? This is the game. Three words. How are you feeling? Three words? How do you want to feel? And so if that you know, tired, anxious, overwhelmed person has a day with you know, a couple meetings, maybe picking up kids, dinner, et cetera. Maybe she needs something energizing. Maybe she wants to be inspiring. Maybe she wants to be supported, right and or tired. We need some support. What pieces do that for? To me? Support looks like you know, things that since your waist, shoes that feel grounded. To me, that means a chunky shoe empowering. That is why I would grab a blazer, you know, with great shoulders. It makes me feel strong. It's why if I need to feel held, I might add like a soft sweater over my shoulders just to make me feel you know, supportive. It's interesting in the book and then in learning how to live this more and more you'll understand that by first connecting with how you want to feel, it gets you real on yourself and it brings you back to the intention of just like I I'm on Persmer told me when I interviewed her for the book, who is that woman that I want to be? Getting back to that every single day, no matter what life is throwing at you, because you don't get to decide how you wake up feeling. You don't get to decide what curveballs get thrown your way, But you can keep reconnecting with that intention, and that's what's going to keep you in integrity with yourself and that woman that you want to be.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm so glad you brought this up because that moment threw me for a curveball in your book. I really try to live my life with intention. I have never thought who do I want to be in this room? I oftentimes will dress for the setting or the event, and instead you are asking us to think, who do I want to be in this room? What do you think that we lose when we dress for the setting rather than for ourselves.
Speaker 2: We lose ourselves. You dress for the setting that you're not connected with what that person inside of you needs. You spend your life just playing a part and not in body it, You're always going to be disconnected from yourself. It's like trying to, you know, charge your phone without plugging it in the wall.
Speaker 1: Thing.
Speaker 2: It's why we're here. It's like we're all connected, but first connecting to yourself is essential before you can connect authentically with other people. And I believe we're here to connect with other people, but that only could happen when we get real with ourselves. That's the clarity part. So the create method in the book, the first word is clarity. It's getting real with yourself. The second word, the R is a ritual. What steps do you need to take to do that today, to get grounded, to reboot, recalibrate, and then editing the e the fun fashion part that's transforming your closet into a portal of possibility, meaning every single piece in it. You get real and you're like, this jacket makes me feel empowered, confident and supported, and anything that doesn't make you feel great it goes, so there's no nonsense in there. Then we get into alignment truth telling a story of who you are to the world with what you wear, an expansion which is like a lot of people along the way to finding what worse to than with fashion. They could stay in the same uniform for thirty years. And I'm not saying like, don't know what works for you. We're here to grow, so you have to keep asking new questions. And in the process of picking, say your three words you want to feel today, getting creative about new possibilities and not just words that serve other people, But how can you choose something that surprises you? Try it on for size. Could say that your three words for the day were, you know, compassionate, explosive, dynamic, And maybe that word doesn't work for you try it, I'm like, what's the worst that can happen? You tried something new and it didn't work. Great, that's information you can use that.
Speaker 1: I really like the method because I was going through my closet thinking about it after I read the book. And I'm from Chicago originally, and so I've lived in LA for thirteen years and my taste has evolved a lot, mostly because you have so many stylish people around me. And I wanted to study it and I would look at magazine. There are moments where I slip back into my Chicago ways and I realized I had to edit it out of my closet. I just had to get rid of it.
Speaker 2: That's not the story you do, that's not the story you want to tell to the world. Energetically, it's like creating a block. Like in your possibility, we got to be cleaning out all the time. I think you need to clean out your closet like four times a year and then look at it every month.
Speaker 1: Totally agree. The story changes, just like our story.
Speaker 2: The story changes, And don't feel bad about holding on to like things from people you love. That's okay, But like just holding onto something because you're hoping to fit in it one day is not necessarily helpful.
Speaker 1: And my Midwest like cutouts in everything is also something I have edited out, so that's gone. So I started my career as a red carpet reporter and everybody would ask what are you wearing? And I don't know if you can tell it. I'm pretty woo woo, and so I hate it. I would never ask the what are you wearing? Question? However, once I started understanding fashion, I got the point like it was really important for people to share the designers' names. I'm curious how you feel about that question. Is it harmless social sinking or is it a sin?
Speaker 2: I don't think it's a sin. Of things like that. Don't take offense to it. But what I would find to be more interesting would be why are you wearing? Because especially like you look at some of the choices this Red Carpet season which were so interesting, Like I think Tianna Taylor was just like wearing soul on steroids. It was so exciting and fun, and those choices you could tell that all of them were making your feel like her best, badass self, and I just loved that. It was so fun to see. This is why I always love talking with other stylists and like sharing the joy and what other people are putting out there in the work, because there's so much space for different kinds of work, because there's so many different kinds of people and so many different ways that we can uncovering to feel great. And you look at like the Jesse Buckley on this Awards season looking just so gorgeous and strong, you know, and like that was so beautiful to witness and it was so joyful. These aren't my work. I just loved watching these stories be shared in a big way that felt like they were really serving the women and what they wanted to put out there to support their work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jesse Buckley looked like herself. Yeah, I just love.
Speaker 2: That, and it's something that I've really loved in working with Selena and like just really watching that girl who shares her vulnerable heart with the world just shine. Like that's been so rewarding, especially when you got the opportunity to work with people who are using their platform in a way that really is meant to serve other people and to bring you know, action, to use their power to help people. It's so inspiring.
Speaker 1: Well, you've said that you really consider yourself more of a fashion therapist than a stylist.
Speaker 2: I know, I'm blading heart and working with all these amazing houses and designers. I love that, but that's like a part of the sauce. It's a part of telling the story because ultimately I want these women to feel right, I feel like their best self.
Speaker 1: I think, just like regular therapy, everyone might need it, but not everybody goes. How do you think your book introduces therapy to people at their own pace?
Speaker 2: I think like the idea is getting intentional about every aspect of your life brings you into alignment. Like therapy is like self help, right, But I want to give people the tools to help themselves with every single thing that they are interacting with, even down to how they use their phone. I think when you learn to use getting dressed and ritual and movement and just even like these exercises and getting clear on yourself, that is a therapy. I think the intentionality gives you a connection with yourself that is a form of self care love.
Speaker 1: That actually kind of reminds me of how you call closets these portals of possibility. I love that word possibility. I've been hanging on that word actually all week. And you tie it back to how but at one point we all enjoyed dressing up or playing make believe, and our closets weren't such a scary place. And then as we grow, our closets feel intimidating or stressful or maybe even stagnant. I felt all of those every woman does. So how do we find that magic as adults? The magic comes when you feel the connection with the closets. Most people's closets it's like full of stuff.
Speaker 2: It's full of all these people they used to be, and then you feel sad for that person you're not anymore. Maybe that makes you feel disconnected from who you want to be, and so then of course it's fucking confusing, and you don't know what the f to wear the closet as a portal. By getting clear and editing out and making room for the person that you are becoming, it just gives you a sense of ease and like just freedom to step into that person and talk about a lens. That's how you can see clearly and learn to embody the person you want to be. Like the magic, that's that connection. We feel magical when we feel connected to our curpas and our posdis stability. We feel not so magical when we can't see that. So I think the magic comes within that connection and learning how to live in integrity, even when life feels heavy or hard or confusing, or we feel fat or you know, tired, or even just not our best self, like most of us don't wake up feeling that. My whole mission is to give people the tools to find that connection, because it's in that intersection of style and spirituality or style and wellness. It's where this book lives, and it's why I wanted to make a book. I hadn't seen it addressed in a real way ever, Like there's lots of talk over the years about fashion and beauty and empowering and all these different wonderful ways that fashion can affect us. But I hadn't seen it as like this manifestation tool before, and that to me thought like game changing, shape shifting, literally, And it was that intersection of style and well style and self care that really moved me to write a book.
Speaker 1: You're actually giving me such great imagery because to think of style as manifestation and that question DVF gave you, who do I want to be in this room? Then your closet really is a portal of possibility. That's so interesting erin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's not a burden, it's a threshold. It's potential.
Speaker 1: So is it okay that I have three sizes of genes in my closet? Or do I need to get rid of them?
Speaker 2: If you're actually wearing them. It depends on how you're wearing them and how they make you feel like. It's not the actual sizes that matter. The thing is with women, our bodies change all month and done our whole lives. So having a means of compassion for that too. You might need that in the course of the month. That's not for me to do. Kind of assess that for yourself, what you need, how that will help you And I know on the weekend, I like toward genes that are a little less structured, right because I need some ease. So it just depends on how they're serving it.
Speaker 1: When you write that you should be breaking one fashion pattern every week, what do you mean by that?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Have you broken one this week?
Speaker 2: I try to do that with the words that I choose. The pattern breaking comes in being brave enough to surprise yourself. And I don't believe in taking risks just to take risks and like fall in your face. I don't think that's the point, and that doesn't make us feel great. But there's so much potential in us that we're afraid to unpack because we feel comfortable. So by choosing a word that surprises you and seeing how it feels, I think that's how you grow, and that's how you keep changing and evolving. So in terms of patterns, yeah, just keep trying on new words for size.
Speaker 1: So you're a fashion therapist. I've heard you say an Hathoway has a PhD in fashion? What does that mean? Does that mean you feel like she could be a stylist herself?
Speaker 2: I think she could literally be anything. She's a very smart lady. Yeah, I think if you're in three thousand fittings like some of it sticks. She's been in the public eye for a long time.
Speaker 1: Does it make your life harder easier that she's so smart.
Speaker 2: I think it's wonderful. It's information right, and that's like for collaboration, like turn up the volume. That's why it's fun.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I have a question for you about management, because I thought I was busy, but oh my god, you work at the intersection of creativity and logistics imail.
Speaker 2: My assistants are, and they're packing a carne right now. For I think with managing and micromanaging, you have to do both. I definitely have a lot of awareness of making sure all the dots are connected and just like double checking things because there's a lot of balls in the air and a lot of things that rely on me. I have found with so much going on that my rituals and even this method are more important than ever. And even like last week when I was in China and jet lagged and waking up at three am, I was making time to you know, like I have like this alkalizing pattern and I would work out every single day because it just reconnecting to my body was important before I put on any clothes. Not because I think I'm like the fittest, you know mom in the world or whatever. It's because choosing to honor myself in these ways and being consistent about them are just as important as me not when I'm tired making a lazy choice like stepping back into how am I going to walk as that person? When I wake up feeling this way? So I have found it's important. I think with teams you have to, you know, lead the way, just like your kids. Your people learn by how you are and how you treat them, and I try to lead in a way that is compassionate and clear. So I'm very direct about what is needed and wanted to do the work. But I also try to really embody and lead from a place of generosity, kind of like a mom to like a mom to everybody.
Speaker 1: So I was reading that Anne has five films that are out this year, and she's not your only client. Okay, So that is like so many major projects and appearances. When your calendar gets that big, can you plan far ahead or you pivoting in real time?
Speaker 2: Always you have to be able to do both at the same time and also in the business of dressing, how you want to feel. You can plan something really well and things just change, so you have to be flexible. I think the important thing of it is, I talk about Anne about this a lot, is the three D chests of it, just seeing like the possibilities and how you can shift and pivot, just so you know you can always be on your feet and ready because a lot of curveballs can get thrown your way. And if the point is making somebody feel great and getting it all done, like you have to problem solve in real time like we do as parents. What story were you going for your book tour? I mean, honestly, I want to be able to lead from a place of light and calm and clarity. And my mission is to make all of this feel as digestible and accessible and like this idea that fashion is not this luxury that we just see on the red carpet or on the runways. It's something that can be pivotable and magical in redefining our potential and how we see ourselves. It's so easy when you start doing this, to start implementing this into your life. The book is beautiful, there's so much to it in so many layers, we can unpack our whole lives. But just by getting clear on these essential things to start and live your day, it also gives you room to reflect every day. How did I walk in intention today? Did I honor that person I want to be? What went wrong? What can I do to better this? And then it just keeps you in check with yourself, which is so exciting. That's the magic of it. And with the tour, it's not just about the tour. This is like the beginning of the new era of how women see themselves. And I talk always about women. I want this for the men to but I work mostly with women, so that's where I consider my little bit of an expert.
Speaker 1: I loved in the book when you noted that at Vogue you learned there was always a solution.
Speaker 2: Everything is figure outable, right. Marie Foleo, who I interview in the book, talks about that a lot. This is one thing as leader, I always tell my assistants site and it's not like oh that was impossible or oh that it's like, oh is this all? That's a lot of times where the magic happens in red carpet moments. Is it's not like panic game of something doesn't happen, it's like, how do we solve this? In the most of the time it's better.
Speaker 1: So I normally end with some rapid fire lightning questions. But since I have the style maker of the year here with me today, I thought we would play a little game of trashy or trendy?
Speaker 2: Oh fun love it?
Speaker 1: Okay? Little black dress trashy or trendy.
Speaker 2: Oh trendy?
Speaker 1: Always classic varsity shirts, trashy, skinny jeans, trashy pyrit aesthetic, trendy broaches, love trendy sneakers overheels, not for me, okay. Valentino pumps, are they back? Trashy or trendy? So bad?
Speaker 2: So trendy? The new cut is excellent. You must try them?
Speaker 1: Ceruly in blue trashy or trendy, very trendy? Okay? Erin what is a book that changed your life? Something you think everybody should read?
Speaker 2: The Creative Act Rick Ruben's book.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's one thing every woman should try once.
Speaker 2: I heels, obviously, and.
Speaker 1: Then I always pick a card from the question Everything card game, and I got to do plants thrive or die?
Speaker 2: In your care they die? I'm very good with children. Off the plants not.
Speaker 1: So much erin Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: You're a light. Thank you. This is such a joy. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know what time it is. Today's a good day. To have a good day. I'll see you next week