Speaker 1: Welcome to Dirty Rush, The Truth about Sorority Life with your hosts me Gia Judice.
Speaker 2: Daisy Kent, and Jennifer Kessler. Welcome back to another episode of Dirty Ruf Rush. I'm your host Davey Kent. Today we're talking all about what sorority life looks like after you graduate. We're gonna hear from some amazing guests about what sisterhood means to them years after graduation. So for me, sorority sisterhood after college. I'm actually really close with a lot of my sorority sisters. I have four sorority sisters in my wedding that are going to be bridesmaids. And then I actually I was in Alpha FE and then pi FI was like the other sorority I was really close with, and two of my bridesmaids were in PIEFI my little from my sorority is also in my wedding, which is really cool. And I think for me, like maintaining that friendship just goes back to being in college and being in side such an interesting time of your life and you learn so much about yourself, and also it can be really difficult but really amazing, and so I'm really lucky that I have such a good friend group through it all, and I think everything just made us so much closer. So in my wedding, actually two of my sorority sisters are going to give a speech, which is really exciting. One of them, Jacqueline, she's I have four Maative honors, but she's going to give a speech. And then Christy was in pi FI and she's going to give a speech also, so she wasn't my sorority sister, but in a sorority also. And then if I had to describe my bridesmaids in one sentence to a stranger, I would say, they're very loyal friends, and there's I could call them and there's nothing that they wouldn't do for me and me same for them. They're just they're really really great people. So after college was such an interesting time in my life because my health got really bad and I was very sick for a while, and they really rallied behind me and helped me, whether it was going to treatments with me or just studying me support or being there for me when I literally I couldn't go out and do all the normal stuff that like a college student does. Right after college and then also within my time when I went on The Bachelor, in my life just like really really changed. It's so interesting because my friend group is still the exact same. I made some new friendships from the show and stuff, but all my best friends and everyone they're the same. So well with that everyone, I have Lydia here, So she is actually my little from my sorority in Alpha fe. She's a year younger than me, and we met when I was a sophomore and she was a freshman going through recruitment. And the first time we met, I forget what day it was of recruitment, but I remember talking to Lydia and I was like, I just felt like we were like meant to be. And since then we've been like so close and it's been such a fun and meaningful relationship. But Lydia, do you remember when we first met.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I'll never forget it. And I feel like our first like couple of days together, it was like, oh, you're from Minnesota, we love the color yellow, and we both are just like such like joyful people, and we bonded over like so much different medical stuff that we both had gone through. I'll never forget prefnite, Like, I will literally never forget Prefnite together. Like, don't you feel like that's like one of the most special memories we ever had.
Speaker 2: For sure, And it's crazy to think back on because like this year, going into like August, it will be ten years since I started college, so we've known each other nine years this coming August, which is crazy to think about. That makes me feel old.
Speaker 4: Don't say that.
Speaker 2: What, Yeah, that's crazy?
Speaker 3: Ten years is crazy?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 2: Right? So you guys everyone listening. So, Lydia is a bridesmaid in my way wedding too. I don't know if I've said that, but the reason I chose her to be a bridesmaid is because I feel like we have such a unique and special relationship. She's somebody like she's gone through a lot of health things too, and we're both like have a good sense of our faith and stuff like that, and I feel like we've just really bonded over a lot of stuff and all of the like hard seasons and all of the really good seasons. Lyddy has always really been there for me, and I just think our relationship is very, very special. She's somebody that I talk too often. But also if we don't talk to each other for like a month, and then we call and talk on the phone. We'll like probably talk for an hour and just like it's almost like it feels like we're family in a way. So that's why I have her in my wedding. And I think, what do you think about like this next stage of life or like the stage being out of Like call, what would you say? Because you're close with some of your like sorority sisters that are in your grade. Also, yeah, and even.
Speaker 3: Like our like my little your g little like we are. We live seven minutes down the road from each other, and she has babies and is married, And I feel like going through like into this next chapter, it's so different because we would talk about such day to day things and now we're talking about buying houses and weddings and children, and just like it's so wild to still feel the simplicity of the friendship. It just has changed so much, even though we're still so close. Yeah, and yeah, I mean it's just so fun to cheer each other on. I think, like, no matter whatever season of life I've been in, I feel like you've been such a cheerleader for me.
Speaker 2: And like I.
Speaker 3: Look up to you like a big sister, and I feel like sometimes it goes the other way around.
Speaker 2: Like for her, it's like very very wise. So anytime I'm having like a life crisis, I call her. She's like sometimes I'm like, wait, how old are you?
Speaker 3: But I also feel like it's cool because, like, you know, for like, he was like a bestie in college, you know, and so like it's so fun now like seeing the two of you and just like how the friendship has turned into something you know, like that's going to last a lifetime, which is sad equally as amazing.
Speaker 2: That is crazy to think about because yeah, because when you first met me, you also met Thor, which was weird. And then to talk about everything that has happened in between then until now is like so crazy, but it's so awesome to look back on too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, anyone in the halls of Zura at San Diego State, there have been some very core memories made there.
Speaker 2: Literally, what do you do You have any specific memories from our sorority days that like really like speak out to you.
Speaker 3: Without going into too much detail, every big little that ever happened, stay too, And I loved formals together, Like those are some of my favorite memories with you. We were a big like sygab people obviously, and anytime like I wasn't a very big I wasn't a very big guy person like I just wasn't. I didn't like fling around as much in college, and whenever I got got to go with you, I felt like so cool because I would be like, oh, I'm I'm with Daisy and we're gonna go hang out with all the guys that and you know, exactly one night I'm talking.
Speaker 2: About say up groupie.
Speaker 3: For sure, Halloween at SAGAP is like a core memory. Yeah, for every year that ever happened that it ever happened as well.
Speaker 2: For sure. I think Also one for me is when we drove out. This wasn't like for a sorority thing, but it was so weird because me and Lydia met in college but we're both from Minnesota. So after one summer, me and her road tripped out from Minnesota to San Diego and she drove her car literally like the whole way and we did a little road trip and it was so much fun.
Speaker 3: You like swam in the canyons and you done are.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, it was such a great time.
Speaker 3: That was so fun and you were moving into your PEV house that time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, senior year.
Speaker 3: Yeah that was crazy, what a different life. That was such a good memory.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Do you think that friendships that last are the ones like you expect to last or do you think there's like unexpected ones.
Speaker 3: I feel like life just changes so much, and like looking back, I knew that when we met, like you were going to be in my life forever.
Speaker 2: I felt that like gives me chills.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like from the ivet met, I was like, you're going to be in my life forever, Like you're going to be in my wedding one day, and now like I'm in your wedding.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 3: But then like you kind of see who really lasts postgrad, you know, and like who definitely shows up for you and who I don't know you talk to without a feeling too, you know, to catch up with them.
Speaker 2: That's a weird time in life too, Like people are like trying to find jobs or have a job and like moving different places. So I think after college is like really telling to like who you stay close with.
Speaker 3: A like it goes beyond distance and time zones, and you know, it really is like if I can call you and we haven't talked in six weeks, it's like nothing changes. Like those are the friendships that last, you know.
Speaker 2: Forever, m hm, because life gets crazy as you get older too. Yeah, alities, even now, I'm like, can you imagine when we get it's gonna be more career?
Speaker 3: No, I've met can people are having them, and it just it never slows down.
Speaker 2: It never slows Yeah. Do you have a specific moment that you can think about when like a sorority sister that you had in like the past but like now like is currently in your life when they like really showed up for you.
Speaker 3: Gosh, I mean the first person I think it was Taylor Derek, who is my little everyone, Yeah listening, we are just we've had a really strong lineage. But yeah, I mean Taylor decided when I got my job in Charleston, my first job in twenty twenty one, she decided to move with me, and she had never been here like ever, and we are like sisterhood turns into like family, and we we became each other's family. And now we're still out here in Charleston, and you know, it's like everyday things, whether it's share in closets. We're still sharing closets, Like she has kids and I borrow her outfits and vice versa. But it's like the little moments, you know, like whether it's dropping off food for one person or the other, or you know, she comes over and brightens my day with her babies. It's just like that friendship is also one that is going to last forever as well.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean so special.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so special.
Speaker 2: It really is. And do you have any like advice for girls graduating that want to keep their relationships close with their sorority sisters.
Speaker 3: I would say, don't wait to catch up, Like, don't wait, life is going to be crazy, and one text message, one phone call is all you need to stay connected. Like there are months that you're gonna have too much going on and all you need to do is send a short text. So just like, don't don't wait to to keep in touch with your sisters. You have to invest in your friendships, and like that's not going to go away, but it doesn't have to be complicated.
Speaker 2: I love that. Well, thank you so much for coming on. It was so special having you on here.
Speaker 4: It's so fun.
Speaker 3: I love you.
Speaker 2: I love you too, okay, well, I will talk to you later.
Speaker 5: Okay, bye, Okay, guys, we have Maddie On here now.
Speaker 6: And where did you go to school, Maddie Hi, I went to University of Nevada Reno.
Speaker 2: Yes, and you are also assumed to be bride right, Yes, I.
Speaker 6: Am twenty twenty seven, so excited, so exciting.
Speaker 2: Are you close with any of your sorority sisters anymore or any of them in your wedding? Yes?
Speaker 6: They are My big is in my wedding. I absolutely love her. Yeah, I'm so excited. And then one of my childhood best friends we went to the same college and she is also going to be one of my bride's nids. We were in the same sorority, so those two are definitely like my two for my sorority.
Speaker 2: That's so fun. I just had my little on right before you, and she's in my wedding too.
Speaker 7: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 6: Really, I feel like that bond is so special between a big and a.
Speaker 2: Little it is. It's really cool. Like if you like Mesh well, yes, Brennan can be like so special exactly.
Speaker 7: That makes all the difference.
Speaker 2: Do you have any like other sorority girls that will be invited to your wedding.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I have a bunch of girls that will be invited. They'll definitely be there for sure. I feel like we're at such like an interesting age where if I got married, like and maybe even just a few years ago, I feel like more sorority sisters.
Speaker 7: Would be in the wedding party.
Speaker 6: But we you know, like it was seems like a while ago that we graduated, so you meet new people. But yeah, a bunch of a bunch of girls are invited. How many bridesmaids are you having? I have eight bridesmaids, Okay, I have twelve.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's so funny. How many were in your sorority?
Speaker 2: I have Riley, Kendall, Jacqueline, and Lydia, so four of them. Oh great, so that's like a good yeah sure. And then I have like a couple of high school friends and then a couple girls that were in like I was in Alphahy and they were in pi FI but we were really close. So those two and then like my sister in law, my sisters, and then my like two week sister in law.
Speaker 7: Oh I love that it's same.
Speaker 6: It's like just a little eclectic mix of everyone.
Speaker 2: Yes, did you have you Well, you've asked your bridesmaids then, right, how did you ask them?
Speaker 7: I got them?
Speaker 6: I did like the classic little bridesmaid box.
Speaker 5: I got that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I loved it.
Speaker 6: It was like my fait. It's been my favorite part so far. I'm like getting to give to them these things. But yeah, I had like the little makeup bag with their initials embroidered into it, and like a fragrance and a candle and you know, all the like things you'll.
Speaker 7: Find on Pinterest.
Speaker 2: Yes, all the fun stuff exactly. Now, like when you met your big did you think that you guys were going to be like so close and have this like long like relationship.
Speaker 7: You know what?
Speaker 6: That's a really good question. She transferred from a different school to our school, so she grew.
Speaker 7: Up in Vegas as well.
Speaker 6: I didn't actually know her when we like both gran here and went to high school, but I think since she transferred, she was kind of like newer and people hadn't really gotten to know her.
Speaker 2: Uh super well yet.
Speaker 6: So I think I didn't realize at first how close you would be, But like since then, I feel like we've really stayed kind of inseparable.
Speaker 2: Did you find any like similarities when you were like going through picking people to be your bridesmaids, Like, did it feel like big little at all, like when you were like picking a big.
Speaker 7: Yes, it actually totally did.
Speaker 6: It's like I feel like what was important to me was just kind of looking at my friends and being like, Okay, who do I see myself you know, really still being this close with in like ten years?
Speaker 7: And that's so.
Speaker 6: Hard to predict, I guess, but like I feel like you're doing the same thing in big little. It's not just like, Okay, who am I going to be friends with for like just my four years in college? Like who do I really see myself boning with forever? So yeah, it was definitely a very similar thought process for sure. Did you feel the same way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like it's the same. Like for me too, I was like who, like have I been close with for a really long time? And like who, like will I be like close with? And also I kind of looked at like not like the word too, but also like who, like which of my friends are like close with him? And like have always really like supported us and stuff.
Speaker 6: So that's kind of way right Because you want to look back at pictures and be like I'm still friends with this person, not like, oh I haven't talked to them forever.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I was.
Speaker 7: It's definitely a big decision.
Speaker 2: Definitely has planning your wedding like made you appreciate your friendships in a different way, I think.
Speaker 6: So, I think you kind of hear crazy stories, like at least I do on TikTok. I'm like on bride TikTok right now, so you get all of the crazy stories of like my friends got jealous and whatever when I was getting married. But I've had zero experiences like that. I feel like all of my friends have just been so supportive and like it's really important. I think I kind of didn't realize how important it would be when like planning your bachelorette, like you want to make sure all of the girls really have your back.
Speaker 7: So yeah, it's been fun.
Speaker 2: Well I am so excited for you. Thank you so much for coming on.
Speaker 7: Thank you to congrats.
Speaker 2: Thanks also bye bye. You have live on and live Where do you go to school?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 1: I went to TCU, Texas Christian University, so in Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you just graduated like a couple of years ago, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I graduated in twenty twenty four, so about like two years ago now just two and a half kind of crazy.
Speaker 2: And are you still in touch with a lot of your sorority sisters?
Speaker 4: Yes, definitely.
Speaker 1: I keep up with most of them honestly, whether it's like social media, but also.
Speaker 4: Just like in person.
Speaker 1: We really like I feel like most of my college friends see each other a lot, and also a lot of us moved to the East Coast.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we all like keep in touch like pretty regularly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does staying connected look for you, Like, do you guys go on trips? Like is it the group chat like FaceTime? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I would say group chat is like number one.
Speaker 5: Ye.
Speaker 1: We like texting it all the time, so that's like the most up to date way like day to day.
Speaker 4: But also trips.
Speaker 1: We've done a lot of different trips, like since I graduated, like weekend trips to like the Jersey Shore. We've gone back to Texas for like alumni weekend or someone's birthday, like some of my friends are getting married now, So there's like a lot.
Speaker 2: Of different Yeah, a lot of different trips.
Speaker 4: And like plans that we've done. But I feel like texting is like the most.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the most that we do. I feel like that's like the easiest too, and it's like fun, yeah, all throughout the day.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Like I'm sitting at my desk at work like texting in my group chat most of the day, which is probably not great, but I feel like we're all kind of we kind of do it to keep each other sane and like it's a nice way to just like keep each other updated, especially if for not like in the same place, just with like random stuff or even like sometimes my friends will go down a rabbit hole of like sending old pictures from college, like on a random Tuesday in the middle of the day, which is the best.
Speaker 2: It's so funny. We just had one of my like best friends bachelorette like a couple months ago. Yeah, like a video of like all of us in like our pictures and videos, and it was so funny. Like going back through college and like seeing I know, every.
Speaker 1: It's the best, especially like freshman year because like most of my friends were from like freshman year on and.
Speaker 4: Like seeing myself freshman year. Yeah, it's a little scary, but it's fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Do you think like your friendships that have lasted past like graduation are the ones you expected to last.
Speaker 4: I would say it's a mix.
Speaker 1: But for me, it was very much like I kept closest to the people that I lived near, honestly just because like I'm so busy and so not being like in the same city obviously, like traveling to see each other as just like another element.
Speaker 4: But with that said, like the girls that don't.
Speaker 1: Live in the same city as me that I expected to like stay close with, I have, so like I definitely knew who would last like after college versus who was more of like maybe just a college friend or like that I don't keep up with as much. Yeah, but also for me, it kind of like it fluctuated even throughout college. Like I feel like the girls that I was like closest with at the end was like different than freshman year. Like I was staying friends with everybody because my so already were always doing stuff together. But like it just kind of changed from like freshman to senior year, and like those girls that I was closest with senior year, like that stayed the same. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So yeah, but like really like being in New York.
Speaker 1: I live in New York, and like the girls that live in New York or like nearby, like even Boston or New Jersey or whatever, like those are the people that are easiest to stay in touch with just because we're close.
Speaker 2: Is there something that you didn't appreciate or like you didn't realize you would appreciate about sisterhood until like post grad.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, I didn't. I didn't even realize that. Like I would say, I lived in the house. I lived in the Zeta House, and that was like my first time living with girls that like I genuinely loved and like wanted to be around all the time. And that like kind of prepped me for like I don't have a sister, so I just have a brother, and like my friends would always talk about like having sisters and like bickering with them like one hour before and then being like.
Speaker 4: Totally fine the next hour. Like that type of environment when.
Speaker 1: I lived in the Zeta House was like the first, like my first experience with like, oh, this is what it's like having a sister. Like you're sharing a room with someone or in my case, like I shared you know, we were on the same floor as girls, but like in each other's like rooms till late at night, like maybe arguing over like stupid stuff.
Speaker 4: But then the next day, like we're going to a party together, we're like waking up walking to class like whatever.
Speaker 1: So like that actual idea of having a sister, like I knew nothing about really. I mean, I also danced growing up, and I think that that is like a different like type of sisterhood, if you will, almost more like trauma bonded maybe, but like it was a different it was a different type of sisterhood, like getting into college and like having sorority sisters that like you kind of depend on for everything you.
Speaker 4: Don't have your family.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that really like just shape my like overall understanding of like friendships that do feel like sisters versus like friendships that are maybe a little more.
Speaker 4: Like superficial or just like come and go.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 1: So I feel like now when I choose my friends or I guess like make friends or whatever, I'm always comparing it to like the girls that I already have in my life that like do feel like sisters.
Speaker 2: Definitely, especially in people that yeah, you feel so close to and that you've made those great relationships with.
Speaker 1: Yeah it is, And like, honestly, it's been really nice because even through like college, I like, I like went like I went out of state technically, so I wasn't like somebody that got super homesick, but still like not being near your family, like a lot of other people didn't have that experience, And for me, like having really close friends throughout college and then now also not living near home, it's kind of like carried me through.
Speaker 4: In a way that like I don't even realize sometimes.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I know that's so important, especially when you aren't like when you're away from home. It's such a different experience like than anything I had ever experienced before. And I'm so grateful for the friends that I've had, like since being in college and being like now I'm like way out of it, but it like it's just so fun and it's so amazing to like have those people that you hold so close to yourself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, it's special for sure.
Speaker 2: Do you have any advice for girls that are graduating that want keep those friendships close?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I feel like being intentional with your friends, and like you were saying before, like the friendships that I knew would like carry outside of college, like I had to make like a very like direct effort with those people to like make sure that like we stayed close and stayed in touch, and like that comes down to like little things. I feel like right when my friends like started their jobs, like I was always.
Speaker 4: Like checking in and like asking intentional.
Speaker 1: Questions or like wanting to like hang out after I knew they had like a big first day or something like that, and like setting aside like genuine time for your friends. And another thing is like for me, at least in college, I felt like immense pressure to like include all my friends all the time and like be surrounded by like hundreds of friends, like for every like oh pregame, like I have to invite one hundred people, and like everybody has to be.
Speaker 4: Included, And not that you can't include.
Speaker 1: Everybody necessarily, but like surround yourself with like who you genuinely like want to spend time with and like want to be friends with, and who puts in like the same effort to your friendships, because you'll start like to notice postcrid like, oh, you know, maybe they're not like reaching out as much or asking me like questions that I would maybe ask them or whatever, and like there's nothing wrong with that, honestly, Like sometimes you just like grow a part or you like grow out of friendships and that's like totally okay, So like being okay with that and like focusing on like a specific group of people or a person or whatever that is for you that like you know, you want to have in your life forever, but it's it becomes you don't want it to become like a task necessarily, but like you do have like you have to make an effort, more of an effort that you did in college, because in college you would just be walking past each other going to class or at the same party or like you're put in environments where you are always with people. So POSTCRAD, you don't have that situation. And I've definitely found that, like my my strongest friendships and the ones that have like really lasted, especially from college, have been the ones that I've put like the most effort into.
Speaker 4: So I feel like those are like those are really the things.
Speaker 1: And just also like not not being afraid to, like if you don't maybe like hear from someone or talk to them for a long time, like being okay with like reconnecting and literally like calling them on the phone and like having long conversation and like catching up yeah, and like letting that be your ketch up to like you know, say hey, like oh we you know, reconnected or whatever. Like it just seems weird because I feel like in college, like I was just so like kept up with everybody at all, like at all times.
Speaker 4: But you can't do that now and.
Speaker 1: You don't have that ability, Like, especially if you're not living in the same place is your friend, You're not going to know what they're doing on a day to day basis, Like you can't even guess what they're doing. They're living in a completely different place. Like you're going to have to ask questions, They're going to have to tell you things like.
Speaker 4: You might miss like a huge life moment for them, like going on a date with a guy or something like that.
Speaker 1: Like I know, me and my friends have like been in situations where there's like someone that lives in Texas and we're in New York and they like will Texas and be like, guys like I went on two dates with this guy and like he's so great and we're like, oh my god, we didn't know you were like going on dates with someone.
Speaker 4: She was like, well, I went to like on two days with him.
Speaker 1: This week and I haven't talked to you, and it's like that's that's okay, Like it's okay to like be able to catch up and like reconnect or like figure out like a different way of how your friendships get a function and like still stay like stay close, but it's all just like a learning and you really like are able to kind of just figure out like your true like lifelong friends are postgrad pretty quickly too, which I think it's a good thing.
Speaker 2: Oh, it for sure is well, that was all great advice. Thank you so much for coming on. It was great chatting with you.
Speaker 4: Of course, it was great chatting with you too.
Speaker 2: That's it for this episode of Dirty Rush. Thank you so much for joining us this week. Make sure you follow us on Instagram and TikTok at Dirty Rush Podcast so you don't miss any of the new episodes, exclusive clips, and more. Bye guys,