Speaker 1: Hey, guys, just wanted to give you a heads up that this Tuesday we'll be doing a live podcast taping over with our friends at queen An Beer Hall in partnership with Corona. So if you want to come out talk some Mariners with us, watch this upcoming Wednesday's podcast episode tape live on site. Well, you can do so right along with us over at queen Am Beer Hall in Seattle. We're gonna plan to tape right around seven o'clock at the conclusion of the Mariners Yankees game, which is a four pm start, So come on out if you want to plan to have yourself some dinner, some drinks, hang out with us, and again watch us tape the podcast and spend some time with us afterwards. Put it on your calendars this Tuesday, August eleventh, seven pm over at queen An Beer Hall.
Speaker 2: Can't wait to see you there.
Speaker 3: Welcome to episode number four forty of the Marine Layer Podcast. We will welcome on our friends ty Dame Gonzalez and Kolby Patnode from the Lockdown Mariners podcast for a bit of a crossover episode. We'll talk about the current state of the Mariners and what's up for the rest of the season. I'll tell you what's not Lyle this past series.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, we'll get to that in about a minute here. But before that, just a reminder to make sure you download these podcast episodes. If you're listening, and if you're on Apple, Spotify, any of the audio platforms, just make sure to go rate and review and leave it five stars. It helps a ton. Go hit subscribe on YouTube. If you're watching, make sure to go to our website as well. That's marine layerpod dot com. You can find our episodes, you can find our podcast merch, you can find our Patreon. That's all at marineliyerpod dot com. Then check out our social media. We're everywhere posting content every day at Marine Layer Pod.
Speaker 3: Let's get it rolling and you go feach. This episode of the Marine Layer Podcast, part of the Just Baseball podcast network, recording here on Thursday evening, August sixth I'll say it again, the Mariners have reached a new flow.
Speaker 1: And what's funny is they have a chance to dig themselves than the new low. I said this just the other day. I said it.
Speaker 2: I think talking to Tyan Kolby.
Speaker 1: Which we'll get to, this is the easiest series on their schedule for the month of August. This one the Detroit Tigers may be the easiest remaining series on their schedule in the month of August, and against the team that's sold at the deadline and is three games under five hundred. The Mariners managed to get outscored nineteen to nothing in their two losses and zero combined extra base hits.
Speaker 2: Yep, is that bad?
Speaker 1: I mean, it's horrific. The old they used to say on Sports Center all the time, is that bad, it's not good?
Speaker 2: Well, this is just straight up horrific.
Speaker 1: No extra base hits, getting outscored nineteen to nothing against again against a team that, like, you know, they were supposed to face Trek Scoobel in this series. That's why they won the game on Wednesday, because instead of Scooball, the Tigers had to piece themselves together a bullpen game, and the Mariners found a way to gratch a couple runs late on a big three run bomb from Julio and a little insurance from Colt Emerson which was a really nice wing left on left.
Speaker 2: But dude, if they've.
Speaker 1: Based Schooble in this series, it's a sweep. Like they ain't scoring off Schooble.
Speaker 3: Remember when I said on Wednesday's episode, like the deadline is supposed to like inject some life into your team. Like, all right, guys, here we go. We got some new players. It's time to play our best baseball. Well, I wouldn't call what we watched in the three games this week anywhere near the best baseball the Mariners could possibly play. In fact, it might have been the worst they've played. And we just keep saying it over and over again. This is the worst. This is rock bottom. It can't get any it can't possibly get any worse than this. And then you have your two new additions. Taylor Ward goes two for ten. Sir Anthony Devengez pitches a third of an inning the entire series, gives up two home runs four total runs, doesn't even finish his own inning. The Mariners could outscored twenty one to four to a seller in Major League Baseball, and it.
Speaker 2: Just looks awful. It looks just even worse.
Speaker 3: Every single time this happens, it looks even worse than the previous time. Like this day game here on Wednesday looked worse than Monday's game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, by the way, you know why it look worse because there was just more sloppy, unsound, non fundamental baseball. You just mentioned the two for ten series from Taylor Ward. You didn't even mention the worst moment.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that throw he made in right field, and you can't shock that up to Taylor Ward doesn't play right field. He's just adjusting. It's not like he misplayed a ball in the corner. He's unfamiliar with the angles. No, I mean taylor Ward ran up on a ball like towards the foul line, scooped it up, and then like Lalie to throw over the cutoff man into no man's land.
Speaker 2: Owing another run to score.
Speaker 4: I'm watching the replay of that and it just like he just like totally olays it over the head of of I think it was Cole Young getting the cutoff, you know, Like I just started laughing.
Speaker 2: I just started laughing.
Speaker 5: I'm like, it just keeps getting worse, dude, I don't And then you tack on the Julio play and center to which I know he lost it in the sun And sometimes you can't control that.
Speaker 2: But when things are going.
Speaker 1: As bad as they're going for the team as a whole, it's just another bad blunder on like the Mariners defense and fundamental baseball.
Speaker 2: Again. I know it's not really Julio's fault. I know, when you lose.
Speaker 1: A ball in the sun, there's not a ton you can do, but like the optics of it and the you know, like the situation presented right there just kind of added insult to injury.
Speaker 6: Hmm.
Speaker 3: And we haven't even talked about Wednesday yet. While the game they won, yeah, they won great. They hit a couple of home runs, Julio had a huge swing in that game. But there's a moment in that game where you feel like that, like that might be the spark, that might be it. At the end of the game, guys are getting thrown at. Cal Rawley gets beaned, gab Spier gets ejected for throwing at Labor Torres. The bench is empty, people are yapping at each other, everyone's all fired up, and you would think like, okay, there's that, And then the Mariners won the game and Cole Emerson comes back the next inning and hits a home around and you're like, wow, I mean these guys, I hope they're just like fired up, like just ready to go. After that and then today happened.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, were you buying into that?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Did you buy in?
Speaker 3: And they didn't have anything else? Again, showing up normally and playing the games has not worked, okay, but I don't care. Like I've said for weeks now, there is no moment. There is no singular game that's like, oh, this is the turnaround.
Speaker 2: Here we go.
Speaker 1: No, when the Seattle Mariners are five games over five hundred, talk to me then, and then we can rewind and refresh and go back to a moment we want to point to as the turnaround until they actually get five games over five hundred. I'm not doing this whole thing. I'm not doing this. Oh this is the moment that turns around the season. No, go actually turn around your season, and then we can rewind and say what was the moment.
Speaker 3: Let me clarify what I said. I was not saying that was the turning point of the season. But of everything they've tried, trade deadline, firing, the heading coach, getting guys back healthy, like, all of those things didn't work. What happened in twenty twenty two, A lot of people credited that scuffle with the Angels let a fire in that clubhouse, and that team just ripped off the rest of the season and ended up making the playoffs and breaking the drought. A fight was literally the last thing on the list this year. That's the one thing they haven't done. They haven't tried. They haven't gotten everyone to like rally together and get behind each other to play. And you would think, right, especially with one game left to go in the series, where that fight happens, and it's like, you're just so ready for the next day to go out there and to beat that team and to show them up, like to show up, to show up Dylan Dingler and Glabor Torres and the pitchers who beamed you and get revenge or Spire getting suspended and your manager getting suspended here on Thursday and be like, oh, we're gonna go show them. No, quite the opposite, if that was their goal here on Thursday, they got an.
Speaker 1: F Also, it wasn't really a fight. The Angels game was a fight in twenty twenty two. This was two teams standing around at home plate.
Speaker 3: But it's two teams that clearly weren't very happy with each other. And again, I'm just trying, I'm trying to find something to get this team to play consistently like something like this, just like little motivational voice in your head to kick in the gear and to find that consistency day in and day out. And it just did not happen here on Thursday. Out of all the things we've tried this season, the literally the last, like last on the list is getting the team together to rally behind each other because something happened on the field and then going out and playing better because of it. And that didn't even happen. So if it's not gonna happen for that while, I'm getting to the point where it's just it's just not going to happen.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 1: And again, this was the easiest series left on your August schedule because now you got Rays, Yankees, Brewers, Astros, Cubs, Phillies, Blue Jay's.
Speaker 2: Red Sox.
Speaker 1: I guess if you want to argue in Toronto's are easier than the Tiger series, you can. But it's it's splitting hairs. It's not by much. It think this is what's in front of them. This is what's in front of them. By the way, to just wrap up the whole Wednesday game with the scuffle at home plate or the meeting between two teams at home Plate. I'm sorry, Like it is so just fake and phony and non believable. When Dan Wilson goes out there and gets himself a like some people are who they are, Like, dude, that's not who he is. He like he doesn't get out there and channel is loop penella and get pissed. Like when he goes out there and does that, it's like it feels so forced and just fake, Like did you actually believe he was mad in that moment? I almost feel like he has to be out there because he had to be mad to try to stand up for his player.
Speaker 3: But in that moment, like you have to. But that's what Dan Wilson really has a choice.
Speaker 2: That's what I mean.
Speaker 1: He is like he's using saturated like non authentic energy. It's like it's not real, Like it's just it's just kind of phony. He doesn't actually like like some managers really are fired up. When Scott used to get thrown out of games, he'd be actually mad. I just like it just doesn't sit well, Like it's just not who he is.
Speaker 3: But in that situation, like the manager, like first of all, he's already kicked out but like you couldn't I think in that situation, Like, yeah, is it performative maybe, like it might be. I honest, like I don't know if I would go that far, but like your picture gets thrown out of the game in the game you're leading, especially a leverage arm, when the next leverage arm you put in the game has been really struggling and gives up a two run home run right after that, Like, yeah, it's like pretty important. So you do need to go out there and like fight for your player and kick some bases and get thrown out sometimes, like that's part of the job.
Speaker 1: But he doesn't do that, That's what I'm saying, Like it's just he doesn't do that, like it like it's not like it doesn't match his persona.
Speaker 3: At all, Like you know he but but but can I can I interject here you would be roasting him more if he sat in the dugout and did nothing.
Speaker 2: Again, I'm not.
Speaker 1: Saying you can't get out there and have a conversation with the umpires, Like I'm not saying you can't be Like I'm not saying you should be happy, But this thing of it, like the getting thrown out of the game, it's just like do you, like, do you buy that's who he is. I'm not saying, sit the dugout and do nothing, but like elevating to the point where you get thrown out and you know, you like removed his hat and it's getting like I just don't believe it, Like I don't believe him. You can go out there, and you can go out there and say something. I'm not saying that, Yeah, you should just sit there and do nothing, but like again, some people just are who they are.
Speaker 2: That's not really his persona.
Speaker 3: He noticed how Gabe didn't have a single.
Speaker 2: Didn't argue a single thing.
Speaker 3: He just walked right off the mound.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that that may look we love Gabe, but that seemed the signal to me that maybe that had some intention.
Speaker 3: I think so, given did it twice, Yeah, on back to back pitches. Right, Gate was doing a job, right him. I'm sure him and Cal had a nice conversation before that happening started and laid out their.
Speaker 2: Game plan, right yeah, probably.
Speaker 3: And then the mayor and then like there's this lineup on Thursday, Lyle like, did were the Mariners protecting their star players from getting hit?
Speaker 1: I mean maybe they were protecting Josh Naylor from getting hit because you said that this involved two teams that clearly weren't happy with each other. And if you want to know where that stems back to, I don't think it has anything to I don't think it has anything to do with the playoff series from last year, not that I know of. I think it has everything to do with Josh Naylor because back when he was in Detroit, you know, he like there was the argument about whether he threw the sliding mit or if it just came off or not, and he had a couple other plays in that series that didn't sit all that well with the Pirate or with the Tigers, and then the home plate altercation happens a little bit between the two teams, or at least the meeting. If there was one guy that was going to be targeted in retaliation to Glaber getting hit here on Thursday, it would have been Josh Naylor if he was in the lineup.
Speaker 3: And you don't want him getting drilled on his wrist right, not in his current state.
Speaker 1: But like again, we're at the point of the season where you are protecting your players from getting hit on a potential bean ball and another fight breaking out. That's where we're at, Like it's not about winning games, it's about like it's about like, well, we better make sure that our guys don't get hurt. So let's like essentially throw out a B lineup in a rubber match.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be honest, it didn't matter who the Mariners were putting in this lineup. Maybe they wouldn't have gotten shut out, it didn't matter. Well, no, this is the The Mariners have rolled out their A lineup for most of the season and are next I think still next to last and baseball and run scored. Yeah, that's that's just who they are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's it's just been bad man and again the season like time's running out.
Speaker 2: They don't have much time left to go.
Speaker 1: As we sit here, the Mariners are fifty six and sixty so that's yeah, they've played.
Speaker 3: One hundred fast in the standings.
Speaker 1: Oh the Tigers, Yeah, the Tigers, yep, yep, yep. So yeah, the Mariners have played one hundred and sixteen games this year. Like you essentially have to go what thirty five and ten if I have my math, probably not right to get to the ninety wins. I mean one sixty two minus one sixteen's forty six, forty six games, and they have to win thirty four games to get to ninety wins. So if you want to get to ninety wins, you gotta go thirty four and twelve the rest of the way.
Speaker 2: That's the number. M Yeah, like with this August schedule, no chance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, with this, with this August schedule, in this lineup, which would have to undergo like the biggest one pint eighty we've ever seen as Mariners fans to achieve that, right. Pitching staff Aside pitching staff, Homan Road has its own issues, like Bryce Miller. Bryce Miller's last five starts have been bad, Like, yeah, really bad. I remember we're talking about the potential six man rotation with Kate Anderson. Maybe Kate Anderson just starts for Bryce Miller or they they piggyback together to sort of get Bryce into shorter spurts or put Bryce in the bullpen even if something is really up with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, it's been a really tough second half for Bryce.
Speaker 2: It's too bad.
Speaker 1: And then if the Mariners want to get to eighty five wins, which is ridiculous, we're talking about this team having eighty five wins given where the preseason expectations were, but they've got to go twenty nine and seventeen the rest of the way now to do that, that's eight over five hundred ball the final forty six games of the year. And let me say it again, with this August schedule, I mean, you've got the Rays for three and then this upcoming just death trap of a road trip. Who's to say in those ten games that or thirteen games I guess it would be, or twelve Ye had twelve three three three, Okay, yeah, in those twelve games, they're not two and ten, three and nine.
Speaker 7: Ye.
Speaker 1: I don't want it to be that way again, I really, guys. I just wish more than anything we could sit here and get you all fired up about the Mariners and say why this team is on a crash course for the postseason and his full steam ahead and it's firing on all cylinders. That's when we're having the most fun doing this podcast is when they're winning and we can just fire everybody up and get people excited. But we're not gonna gaslight people. We're not gonna just tell people some false reality. No, We're gonna sit here and tell you how we really feel and what the reality is. I'd like to think most of you guys know that are listening to these podcasts at this point, that that's what we do. And I'm not gonna sit here and tell you that. Yeah, they'll just write this ship and turn everything around with the schedule they got in August, like, no, things.
Speaker 2: Are looking real bleak.
Speaker 1: That's just reality, And that's not the conversation I want to sit here and have. Believe me, it's not, but it's the real one.
Speaker 3: I liked what you said in your reaction. We want to believe, but you need to give us a reason to believe. And that's where we're at.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And until you get like five games over five hundred, which is a sustained stretch of good baseball here for a couple of weeks, then you have not given us that reason.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: If you guys want to talk about some of this stuff with us, we have planned out our final two events up here in Seattle for the conclusion of this twenty twenty sixth season and our next one a podcast taping at queen An Beer Hall with our friends at Corona and the Hall is coming up Tuesday. What is that Tuesday? The eleventh post game for the game against the Yankees. So it'll be what seven ish seven point thirty maybe probably right around seven o'clock that will be taping the podcast. Want to invite you guys out to come watch us tape, watch us record the Wednesday podcast. We'll have giveaways you can chout down on some hall beer and food as well. It should be a really fun time if that sounds like something you want to do on a Tuesday night, So just come on out Queen Ane Beer Hall. Right around seven o'clock we will be taping the podcast on site.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we might get there a little before just to watch some of the game. But yeah, we'll probably.
Speaker 3: Seven o'clock for the taping, like when we'll be trying to record by it right.
Speaker 1: But we might get there a little early just to see some of the game and watch a little bit. But yes, taping if you want to plan seven pm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you want to come there earlier, we'll well, we'll be there and watch it.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also a reminder to you guys that before we get to our interview with Tyan Coleby, just want to tell you guys about our friends over at Pigatcha's Pub eighty five over in Kirkland. You guys know, it's this awesome neighborhood bar. You can watch all those sporting events you want. There's twenty TVs in there, there's food and drinks that are great, there's pool and darts and there's a jukebox. Like seriously, just you want to plan a time with your friends, a meal, a drink head over there. It's Pigatcha's Pub eighty five in Kirkland. And if you go during happy hour, their drink specials are three and four bucks. I mean they have four hour long happy hours, five days a week and that's two to six pm on Monday through Friday the happy hours and again three and four dollars drinks. So go check all that out. Pigatcha's Pub eighty five in Kirkland.
Speaker 3: Let us tell you guys about Cozy Earth. Cozy Earth's mission is to make home the best part of your life. They send us their bamboo sheet set. They're everywhere pant and every day Polo for us to try and we were really impressed. The bamboo sheet set lives up to the hype. It's Cozy Earth's meth to make the softest sheets in the world, and I think they've gotten pretty darn close. And I really like the pant and polo as well. For what I look for in everyday clothes, I'm looking for something comfortable but a little stylish as well, and I think both of these check those boxes. Just so you know, Cozy Earth has a lifetime warranty on their clothes, a hassle free return process, and a one hundred nights sleep trial on their sheets. Summer should feel easy for everyone in the house. Cozy Earth's bamboo sheet set, Everywhere pant and every Day Polo are meant to keep you cool, comfortable, and actually relaxed all summer long. Head to cozyearth dot com and use our code Marine for an exclusive twenty percent off. That's code Marine maarn for an exclusive twenty percent off. And if you see a post purchase survey mention that you heard about Cozy Earth right here. This is the first time we've gotten both Tie and Colby on this podcast together, and I really really enjoyed the dynamic. We were all, I guess as positive as you could be during this Mariner season because we were recorded this before Thursday's game, so you will not hear any of the wallowing that Lyle and I did to start this podcast. But it's a good conversation on the Mariners trade deadline, what they're up against the rest of this season, and then we finished with a little of the Mariners top fifty talk at the end, so you'll want to stick around for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it is the fiftieth weekend.
Speaker 1: Now, it might get overshadowed by some really bad baseball, but but can.
Speaker 3: You imagine if they lose on Friday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well we get into that.
Speaker 1: We get into that with times a little bit at the end, but you know it, even with that, it'll still be really cool to see some of the greats here and some of the fans and or sorry not the fans, some of the all time greats from this team in town. I'm so fired up to see a Rod back. You boo them we're gonna have problems, Like we're gonna have a problem. We're gonna put a video out on it on Friday. Better not boo a Rod or you can come find me at the games and we're gonna have a real talk.
Speaker 2: Anyway, you won't be to be there.
Speaker 3: What's that you saw who won't be there?
Speaker 2: Oh well, Kyle Seeger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what a shocker, I mean, yeah, yeah, but yeah, just knew what he was doing, checking in of course. But yeah, it was really fun to have Ty and Colby on. I mean, we did a crossover once on their channel with them, and I think people really enjoyed it. So hopefully you guys enjoyed this one with the four of us and the dynamic of the the four of us just kind of talking to Mariners and talking the state of the team.
Speaker 2: Because we really enjoyed it.
Speaker 3: We'll keep you guys any longer. Let's get you to that interview with tyme Colby. All Right, we got our friends Ty, Dane Gonzalez and Kolby Patnode from the Lockdown Mariners podcast joining us.
Speaker 6: Guys.
Speaker 3: Welcome on. This is the first time the two of you have been on here together, and Ty you were in Seattle for the first time in nineteen years. That's goin to feel cool.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, it's been pretty crazy. First game did not go well, but I still had a really good time because obviously that was bigger than what was happening on the field. And then last night pretty dang fun. A lot of stuff happened in that game. I don't know. Then there's something about me being in attendance and crazy stuff happening. You know, you think about the playoff games in Toronto, you think about James Paxson snowhitter. So I brought a little bit of that with me to Seattle Colbe who, by the way, hasn't seen a bench's clearing incident in Seattle before.
Speaker 7: Okay, but I get to go to twenty more games a year, and you get to go to once one every twenty years, So you know who's the real winner here.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's not that many benches clearing incidents with the Mariners. Nothing's happened with that team very often, and it definitely it doesn't happen at home very often.
Speaker 6: No, Now, when's the last time the benches cleared at Team Mogile Park. I don't even remember.
Speaker 7: The Astros when they threw a JP after Gilla Morris Grand Slam.
Speaker 8: Did they clear or was it just kind of more?
Speaker 7: I don't remember if they like met at home played or if it was just a lot of shouting.
Speaker 8: Back and for it.
Speaker 6: No, they met at home, you said, than anything yeah, yeah, he was yelling at at what's his name with the glasses, the bench, the bench coach on the on the ashes. But yeah, wait.
Speaker 1: Was that when Julio and Hector Naras got into the whole thing?
Speaker 2: Was it that game that was twenty twenty.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, yeah, was that in Seattle? Seattle?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, No. The thing we're talking about is when Dylan Moore hit the Grand Slam, which was twenty twenty one, yeah, twenty yeah.
Speaker 8: But I think Lyle's right.
Speaker 7: I think the last time like the benches, you know, emptied a little bit was twenty.
Speaker 9: Twenty yeah or yeah, And then I think the last time before last night that the marriage just cleared the benches in general was actually in Toronto when Jose Barrios.
Speaker 6: And Cal had their little thing. I don't even think that was on TV, like when the benches actually cleared. I think maybe they showed it after, like when they came back from commercial break. But yeah, I didn't even know what had happened in the moment too. I was like up in the I was looking at my phone, and then all of a sudden I heard people like freaking out, and then I saw like Cal and Jose Barrios like talking on the benches, So that was kind of crazy. So I've been there for the last two benches clearing incidents for the Marrits.
Speaker 3: And all those Framber incidents always happened to go go down in Houston Detroit.
Speaker 6: I guess, yeah, yeah, we're just trying to Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well maybe until we're recording this before Thursday's day game. That street could be broken by the time you're listening to this.
Speaker 6: No, we'll see, we'll see it.
Speaker 3: The odds of that have to be like it's it's gotta be like minus at this point that that that he at least brushes someone back and does like a bit of a stare down.
Speaker 6: You have to think, right, yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean he's not even in his walk year anymore. He doesn't need to doesn't need to showcase himself for teams and and do pr It's it's playing with house money now he's got eight.
Speaker 1: I mean even when he was in his walk here, he purposely crossed up his catcher and throw a fastball rit his chest. I don't know, I Framberg, here's about.
Speaker 6: A walk here. Well, that's what I was gonna say. It was like, you know, is he going to hit one of the marriage or is he gonna hit one of his teammates today. I think the odds might be the same.
Speaker 2: That's probably right.
Speaker 1: Okay, So this is really fun to have you guys on here, and we figured it's a perfect time to do it because there's almost three different sections of Maritors topics we can go through with you guys while we're sitting here. And there's the trade deadline, which is still just a few days wrapped up. There's the team in general, and there's the fiftieth weekend which is coming up this weekend, which I know both of you guys are going to be in town for just like T Day and I will. So we can start with the trade deadline because I mean, it's the most recent and we've talked about it plenty and we've given our takes on it. But for those who haven't heard from you guys, I'll throw it to you first.
Speaker 6: Hide.
Speaker 1: I mean, where do you stand on what they did? I think people are in a unison in a lot of ways about it being underwhelming, But yeah, in your mind was it underwhelming?
Speaker 2: And if you believe so, why was it?
Speaker 6: Yeah? I think Colby and I are pretty aligned on this, and we talked a little bit about this on yesterday's episode of Locked On, so Apologies if we kind of just repeat ourselves here, but yeah, I mean I didn't know what to expect going into the deadline, considering the position that they're in. Obviously, yeah, the AO WES has not allowed them to die, and the American League in general has not allowed them to die. But also, you know, this is not a very good baseball team. So I felt like, all right, if they don't buy, they're kind of justified and doing that at this point, just given everything that this team has shown them. So I wasn't sure if they were just kind of going to stand pat after the Luis Castillo thing. I wasn't sure if they were going to trade Randy and maybe looking to trading at least one of the relievers. I wasn't sure if they were going to buy. And so when the Taylor Ward deal came through, I was like, Okay, they're buying, and it's like all right, you know, obviously it didn't really cost them much of consequence. Like all due respect to Alex Hoppy and Brock and Harrison Kraling, but like, you know, I like brockmore quite a bit, but like I didn't feel any sort of sting with them making that deal, but you know, again, to me, that signaled, hey, we're buying. We think we can still make noise here. We can still win this division, maybe even get the second seed and not even have to play in the wild card round, and we can make some noise in October because we still believe in the talent of this group and that it'll eventually come around. And then you get the reports from Ryan Divish and Adam Jude and Daniel Kramer saying, yeah, the Marins feel pretty confident that they're going to land at least one relief. You know that they're going to make one more trade today. If not more right, they're going to land another reliever or preferably too, which is what Jude and Divis reported in their live update article. You know, a couple hours before the Ward deal happened, and then nothing happened, and it's like okay. On one hand, like obviously there's the Jeff Hoffman's and the Luke Weavers of the world, but then there's also you know, and there's there's a lot of stuff that we can dive into there with the money and all that, and there's a bunch of different ways that you can look at that, but also like a bunch of other believers who are making little to no money who would absolutely help this bullpen also got moved and they weren't able to push across any of those things across the finish line, and I just I'm not really sure why. And again it kind of continues this trend that we've seen over the last few deadlines since the drought ended, since they acquired Luis Castillo in twenty twenty two, where like the trades that they do make at or near the deadline are great, totally on board with them. It's just they haven't been able to put the cherry on top, right. They haven't been able to do that one last thing that you felt they needed to do last year, being the drawn thing that they weren't able to get across the finish line. You know. So just to your point, to use a word that you guys brought up, it feels underwhelming from that, Like, again, if you didn't want to aggressively buy for this specific team, I totally get that. Again, give them what they have shown you, but after you made the war deal, it felt like, Okay, now's the time to kind of, you know, address some other areas of your roster, continue to push this thing forward, to put yourself in the best position to succeed the rest of the way, because clearly you're buying. And then they didn't do that, and I feel like in a way that kind of retroactively cheapens the ward acquisition as well. And so it just like to me, like two plus two doesn't equal four here with this deadline, it just kind of feels random, and it kind of feels like even in the hours leading up to the deadline, they were still like figuring out like what they wanted to do.
Speaker 3: I think to me, it kind of just felt like the definition of a soft buy were leading up to the deadline, you just heard over and over and over and over again how the only way this team was going to be good this year is if the players currently on the roster played well, and the deadline exactly reflected that. Then after the deadline, they they cut some dead weight from the roster that they don't think is going to help them anymore. You trade your worst starter away in Luis Castillo, you cut Mitch Garverer, you cut Rob Refsnyder, And you're trying to sort of improve around the margins, to give this supporting cast, to improve the supporting cast around the core guys you expect to be better where you're essentially just like you're nudging them. You're like, all right, guys, like we're making your job a little bit easier by putting a little little less on your plate. But it still ultimately is your job to go out there and perform. And what do you know, why did they win last night? As we record here on Thursday morning, It's because the highest paid player on the roster hit a three run home run, That's why. And your best starting pitcher through seven shutout instead of pitching on the road and put up a non competitive start.
Speaker 1: You think it was a money thing, Kobe with why they didn't go get Hopman or why they didn't go get Weaver, because I mean, it feels like that's certainly a fair conversation to have.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's certainly possible.
Speaker 8: We did here before.
Speaker 7: The deadline that you know, they had a little bit of flexibility. They're actually fairly significantly under where they were last year, So I don't know why they don't have more flexibility, But it certainly is possibility.
Speaker 8: And you know, I'm with Tie on this whole thing.
Speaker 7: It's kind of like, I like part of me thinks and understands the whole idea of like, do you want to invest serious assets, long term assets in this roster and this team when one hundred and twelve games into the year, they've been the most mediocre ball club we can remember in.
Speaker 8: Like two decades. I guess not.
Speaker 7: But at the same time, you went out and he spent the money to go get Taylor Ward. He spent the assets to go get Taylor Ward.
Speaker 8: You took on, you know, a bad.
Speaker 7: Ish contract in the Luis Casio trade and somehow so got a good prospect out of that that heck of a deal.
Speaker 8: So yeah, it's just.
Speaker 7: Kind of one of those things where like for me, it just felt like this organization as a whole, and it kind of felt like this all year, they don't quite really know what to do right now. They didn't know how to handle the six starters, they didn't know how to handle the platoons. They took forever to give don can Zone full time, you know, playing time. Now, Hey, we really need bullpen help. Is Kate Anderson an option. No, Okay, Well, if he's not a bull, if he's not helping you in the bullpen this year, then you needed to add another bullpen arm because you bought even though you also kind of sold. I just I really hate it when front offices in general are kind of trying to straddle the fence. You know, at acquisition periods you can do it properly. I thought the Blue Jays did a really nice job of this, of selling off some assets that weren't going to be here long term, but also still buying, going out and getting a Jose Soreano like deadlines like that. To me, that's buying and selling. That's definitive that that is concrete action. It's just concrete action in two different avenues. The Maritors just kind of tried to split the line perfectly, and I just it feels cheap and I don't understand what the idea here is. Are you going for it in twenty twenty six or are you protecting all your assets for twenty twenty seven, because it kind of feels like they want to do a little bit of both, and I just I hate that. And even if the guys on this roster do play up to their potential. That's all well and good, but remember this team was eight outs away from going to the World Series last year with arguably a more talented team, and you didn't get to the World Series last year because you were still a bullpen arm or too short and you rode Bizarto and Spire and Munios into the ground and the playoffs and you know, and you just you set them up to do that again because you didn't go out and you didn't add that other bulpen arm. Don't tell me it's Sir Anthony Deminguez. The Mariners don't think Sir Anthony Demingez is a high leverage guy. They say he's going to slide in and do kind of the middle leverage stuff. So it just if money was a factor, I guess part of me understands, because again, how much do you actually want to invest in this roster when they've showed you over one hundred and ten plus games now that they're just mediocre. I guess I get that, But I really hate the fence straddling and kind of like trying to do both without actually doing both buying and selling, because like, if you wanted to trade Randy at Rose Arena, and you wanted to trade JP Crawford and you wanted to trade like Gabe Spire or whatever, and then also go out and still get a Taylor Ward or maybe you know, spend some real prospect capital and go get we don't know if he's available, like Auto Lopez or whoever. Right then, like, yeah, I could buy that because that makes sense to me. You're aggressively buying and selling. I hate the wishy washy thing that they did, and it's just a common theme for all their acquisition periods as of late, is that the moves.
Speaker 8: They do make we like.
Speaker 7: I don't remember the last move the mayor owners made that I didn't like, Like on paper, I don't remember that. But it just always feels like they come up a little short. And whether it's the money or whether it's the prospect hugging or whatever we want to call it. And I do think money was a bigger factor this year than it was last year, obviously, but you know, I I don't know if you guys know Casey Bellen's content creator as well for the Mariners. He phrased it really well, and it is that this front office continually is unwilling to pay for those last eight outs to push this team to where they can go and where.
Speaker 8: We want them to go.
Speaker 7: And it just felt like they did that again this offseat or this deadline season. So whether money or not, I don't think it matters. I just think they pretty much failed to do whatever it is they were trying to do. And even if these guys do click, and even if they do push into the playoffs, there's still a couple of bulk in arms short and I don't like the idea of being like, well, we might get Matt Brush back, okay, and you might you might like that's that's your deadline acquisition.
Speaker 6: The other thing that I've been wondering over the last you know, forty eight or so hours is did they put all their chips in on this idea that like maybe Aj Preller would come back to them at the eleventh hour and be like, you know what, we will trade you Mason Miller for something that isn't you know, Kate Anderson or Ryan Sloan. You know, We'll trade you Mason Miller for Emerson Hancock plus or George Kirby plus. Because like, obviously this is a team that put all its eggs in the basket of acquiring Brendan Donnovan this offseason, it didn't seem like they really had much of a pivot at all from that, So, like, I wouldn't put it past them in that regard, And yeah, from the money perspective on like the Hoffman's and the Weavers the world, I think from the front office's perspective, even though that like, yeah, Randy's going to come off the books, and JP's going to come off the books, and now you've gotten out from under, you know, half of Castillo's contract. This isn't a team that has spent a lot on its bullpen, you know, especially since like the Juan Nicasio's and the Walking ben Wahs and those guys of the world, you know, before the rebuild. You know, you got Andreis Munio's making money, Gabe Spider is going to make a little bit of money here in arbitration. Now you've added Sir Anthony Dominguez. I wonder if they were just unwilling to add another, uh, you know, reliever that's making real money to this bullpen just because of what they know they're going to be allowed to spend from ownership, and who knows, you know, they might lower a payroll next year because of how disappointing this year has been. You know, you just you never know what this ownership group so like, I wonder if the front office just looks at that and goes like, we can't add another significant salary to the to the bullpen, like we have to allocate those resources to other, you know, every day parts of the roster.
Speaker 3: Or maybe they were just thinking along the lines of since they definitely like their premier players when they're going out and acquiring them, especially, it seems like in the bullpen because they don't most of their bullpen guys are not like the premier names except for when they like are trying to acquire them. And then the last year has told us they go after like the cream of the crop. Maybe the only person they thought would make their bullpen significantly better for the return they would have to give up was Mason Miller and as it and they're like, all right, I mean, Luke Weavers good, Is he that much better than what we currently have? No? Or is Jeff Hoffman that much better than what we currently have?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: For what we'd have to give up in the salary we'd have to take on this doesn't quite seem as worth it to us. I would totally believe that if that.
Speaker 2: Was the case.
Speaker 6: Right, And obviously, you know, the two things that I just brought up kind of contradict one another because it's like, well, if they're waiting for Maceon Miller, that's a guy that's making a lot of money. But obviously that's kind of a different situation where it's like that's the best guy in the whole world, right, you know, so maybe there there's an exception that they would make there, but obviously, like Mason Miller's probably gonna he made four and arbitration this year, He's probably gonna make what eight next year, So you know, that would be like another guy making real money in the bullpen, even though again that's like he's been worth like three wins already this year, right my finger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's on pace for the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 1: Like, I know it's so early to say that, but like the way he's pitching, like that's what.
Speaker 2: It looks like. He's that good.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I'll just say this, like as we start to wrap up some of the trade deadline talk, and you guys can let me know what you think about this. But this deadline, more than I ever already believed before, is where I start to run into issues with how overly reliant the Maritors are on the trade deadline, with the roster building, which is look like you should use the trade deadline to augment your roster and go get pieces if they're available. And when you look at last year, it worked, it worked to a t. You got Naylor, you got Geno, I mean, and you nearly got Duran. If you'd done that might have been the greatest trade deadline in the history of the team. But it's what happens when you're overly reliant on a market that often does not exist like this year's. It was just a bad market, I kept saying, and I've said it over the last few days. I've said they're a bullpen arm Shore ever since they whipped on Duran, and since then they have not addressed that guy. And seeing what the market was this year is why I now hammer home more than ever before that well, this should have been addressed in the off season, I said, Jose Perreer has done some nice things for you, but that was never enough, like there should have been one more Bolton arm added.
Speaker 6: Then and by the way, that was reported that they wanted to go out and get another arm even after for it. And we know that they liked film Maiton before he signed with what the Cubs, I think, right, so we know that they were like swimming in those waters or trying to and so and again, like it was reported at the deadline literally on Monday, you know, a few hours before the deadline. It was reported in the off season like hey, we want to get another reliever, and then they just didn't do it. And I don't know why. I just and again just looking at some of the relievers I moved at the deadline. I don't know why the Marrors wouldn't be willing to pay the price on you know that like the Pirates pay for Lake Baker for example. You know, like I don't don't, I don't understand that. But yeah, like the over reliance on the deadline, Like I get it. It's a big part of their sales pitch because like to keep guys in Seattle, to essentially recruit guys to Seattle, Like the idea now is like you know, it's the Josh Naylor thing. I wouldn't be surprised if they're going to try and do this with Taylor Ward as well. But you know, the the problem with that is though, you know, again, like you guys said, like, you can't rely on the market following following as perfectly as it did last year. We said this during the off season, by the way, I remember saying this multiple times on the show. Is like, that's not going to happen every single year. It's not gonna happen where like, hey, we need first base and third base help, and oh, just so happens that the two best mats available play first base and third right, Like, and we're going to get both of them. We're going to beat every other teams with a punch on both of those. Guys, Like, that's not gonna happen every single time. But you know the problem is like they don't want to do the other things necessary to you know, overcome some of the hurdles that just come with being a team in seatle right, like the travel and all that stuff. Guys, Like, it's not the thing that we do need to talk about, is like, obviously it's very true that the mayor's not willing to spend significant resources to make their team better, especially in free agency. That is absolutely true, and that is a major part of this. And it's also true that it takes two to tango and that some players just straight up don't want to come here unless you're going to pay out the wazoo for them, right and so, and that's the problem is that the mayors don't want to do that, right ever, since Robinson Cano, they don't want to do that. They don't want to pay the extra in terms of years or dollars or both to overcome some of these other teams that are in the market for these guys. And so that's why they rely on the deadline, is because it's like, well, we're going to get you here, We're going to force you here, and then we're going to make you see like, hey, this place is actually pretty great, like and you know, worked with Josh Naylor and we'll see what happens to Taylor Ward. But but yeah, it's that's unfortunately the just kind of like how they're they're going about it because like, again, they're just not willing to spend the money.
Speaker 3: Let's shift our focus to the rest of this Mariner season as they have what less than fifty games left, less than two months not currently in a playoff spot, not currently in first place in the division. So let me ask you both this. I want you both to answer, what has you most optimistic about the Maritors for the rest of the season and what has you the most concerned?
Speaker 6: Golby, you wanted to take this first. As the king of optimism in the Marrier's sphere, I.
Speaker 7: Am well known secret optimists.
Speaker 8: The most optimistic thing going forward is the the.
Speaker 7: Schedule of September, if we're being honest, they play seven against the angel seven against the A's. I think they play against Kansas City or sorry, Colorado, and like they only have once they finish their series in Boston, which kind of leaks into September. Once they finish that, they have like two games the entire month that are against good teams, and it's Houston, who you've handled pretty well, So September really gives you an opportunity. And the fact that the rest of the American League remains so mediocre, those are the most optimistic thing. The most pessimistic view of this Marinon team is the entirety of the twenty twenty sixth season, Like, why should I believe that that team that we've watched for one hundred and I don't know, one hundred and fourteen hundred fifteen games at this point, that team is going to go face this gauntlet of a schedule in August and they're going to manage to survive somehow, like they don't.
Speaker 8: Have to thrive.
Speaker 7: But like we're talking about after today, which by the way, Detroit one of the better offenses in baseball for the last two months, if they can survive today, they find a way to win the series, well, then they get Tampa, then they got to go to New York, then they got to go to Houston, and they got to go to Milwaukee, and then they come back home to play with the Cubs and the Phillies.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 7: That's a fifteen game stretch where it's like, if you guys go seven and eight, like that is incredible, especially with the way you're playing baseball right now. And so it's kind of like the most optimistic look at this is like, well, they can get to September, they have a chance to have a huge month because the Angels suck and they got worse. The A's suck and they're getting worse, and obviously the Rockies suck. So like you have, like most of your games against these bad teams, and even as poorly as you were playing right now, you should beat those teams with some degree of regularity in September. But you know, the way they're playing right now and the inconsistency of it, and Cal and Julio and Josh, Josh not hitting for any power. He's hitting fine, it's just no power whatsoever.
Speaker 8: Cal, we know about him, and Julio.
Speaker 7: You hope last night was a step in the right direction, but you know, it is just one of those things where it's like this group hasn't been good enough for one hundred and fifteen games, and now they're going up in maybe the toughest stretch for any team in baseball this year over the next two to three weeks, and can they survive that? By the way, after all of that, they get a break by going to Toronto for three who's still even though they sold, they're still.
Speaker 8: A decent team. They can obviously do some damage against you.
Speaker 7: And then yeah, they go to Fenway and they play the Red Sox, who are the hottest team at baseball.
Speaker 8: So it's just.
Speaker 7: Like thinking that they can survive that with how they're playing right now I have serious doubts. But if they do, yeah, they'reus slight at the end of the tunnel and theory at least, So that's kind of where I'm at.
Speaker 1: Okay, I will say before thy answers, I guess I'm a little bit of a sick o because I was looking up pitching probables for this upcoming road trip. So against the Yankees, they're gonna miss Cole and Schlitzler, although Schlitzler's worse at home than on the road. The flip side to that is you get two leptis in that series, because that means you probably get freedom, you probably get weathers. And then if you want to look all the way ahead to Milwaukee, if everything stays the same right now, not only do they get miss in the first start or in the first game of the series, they get.
Speaker 2: Miss on an extra day's rest. So that'll be fun. That'll be a fun road trip.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I'm very optimistic about that, clearly. Uh all right, what am I What am I optimistic about? I mean, I'm looking forward to seeing this lineup together. Obviously the first game was a disaster with this lineup altogether, but I am looking forward to seeing this lineup if it can all stay healthy, how this progresses over the final two months. I am, you know, like looking forward to potentially seeing Kate Anderson at some point hopefully maybe you know Michael Roy as well, who's just destroying the baseball down in TRIPLEA, which like obviously don't want to get two fooled by PCL numbers, but still like he's been awesome, so so like that stuff like makes me optimistic just about like my enjoyment of this team before, which is kind of how I've shifted my perspective on this season as whole, because I've said it on the show, like I've kind of I'm kind of out on like just buying it on this team and the rest of the way until they give me like a real reason to feel like I should be back in on them. But yeah, I mean to Colby's point, like if they do get to September, then they have a really really good shot. You know, if they can get to September kind of in roughly the same spot that they're in right now, then they have a really good shot to capitalize on that. Well they actually do that, I don't know, because they've played a lot of bad teams this year, and they haven't been able to handle business against them, you know, and they've gotten swept by teams like the Royals and they you know, we're only able to go three and three on that homestand coming out of all start bringing against the Giants of the Red. So just because they have an easy schedule doesn't necessarily mean that they're going to take advantage of it. So and that just kind of you know, goes hand in hand with what I'm pessimistic about. It's just like, this team has shown us who they are, and we're far past the point where like it's it's more than justifiable to just feel like that's that's who they are, you know, and just take that at face value, you know. So we'll see there's obviously, like again, like I said, you know, with with this lineup and with Kate and with you know, Arroyo and maybe Sloan. Eventually we'll see like there are like some things that are you know, that are exciting potentially exciting to to look forward to over the course of these final two months, and then you know, we'll see if they make things interesting in terms of the standings and all that.
Speaker 3: I noticed another of you said the name Dan Wilson.
Speaker 6: Hm hmm, yeah, there might be a reason for that.
Speaker 2: We never talk We never talk about them on ARC though.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, totally, yeah, I've never I've never heard about the Marine Layer podcast and they're just stand for one, mister Dan Wilson.
Speaker 7: Definitely not I've never heard of some kind.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, definitely not.
Speaker 7: Dissect his managerial decisions which are always yeah, they are always sound and logic waste.
Speaker 8: So you know Dan is perfect.
Speaker 1: Okay, uh huh okay, speaking of that, I will get one question like this and while we wrap this up talking a little bit about the fiftieth weekend, and then I'll get an actual question. But you guys bring him up, say they lose here on Thursday and or especially if they lose badly on Friday, Is this dude getting booed?
Speaker 6: I think he might. I think, I think I think no matter what he might.
Speaker 3: I.
Speaker 7: Hope not, because I like, look, nobody has probably been more critical of Dan will Wi then me and I probably stand by that dude's not good at his job, but he is like a Mariner legend, like he has an all time great and what he's done for the franchise before he stepped in as the manager.
Speaker 8: Also, you know, he did manage the team to the a LCS, which is one hundred percent him.
Speaker 7: By the way, nobody elped him, just him.
Speaker 6: Dan.
Speaker 7: Dan is the only reason we got that far, if you believe some people in YouTube comments, and he was recommended by Loopenella. As we know, eighty year old Lupenella should definitely dictate baseball terms in twenty twenty six. But anyways, I would hope he doesn't get boozed, just because you know, he means a lot to the franchise and the community as a whole.
Speaker 8: I don't think.
Speaker 7: Saturday or yeah, Saturday is like a day for booing and displeasure. It's just kind of a day for like looking back at where we've been and then we can get back to after the ceremony's over, looking to where we want to go and questioning whether or not Dan Wilson is the right guy to help us get there. He's not spoilers, but yeah, I hope he doesn't. I just I feel like that kind of defeats the purpose of the whole thing. But also I'm not going to be too upset if he does, Like what are you gonna do?
Speaker 6: You know, Like, yeah, I would not be a surprised, though I'm not sure if it would be like loud enough to be like overall perceived in any sort of significant way, you know, because like like last night, you know, when he got ejected and all that, like people loved it, you know, so like and I think, like I think there's still like a pretty large like part of the casual fan base that like like Stan, you know.
Speaker 8: I wasn't I just don't want to be my managers all.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, and yeah, like Dan seems like a nice guy and all that, and yeah, obviously you know, he's basically a Mariner lifer and and you know, helped out in the organization a lot even before he was a manager. It's just you know, again, like we've talked about this a lot, like how big of a problem is Dan? Really? Like the biggest problem with this team is like your stars are not being stars for the most part, right, And like if they were, then Dan would look a lot better, right, Like sure, like Dan probably at the end of the day, he's like five to ten to fifteen percent of the problem or whatever, right, but he's still part of the problem. And so you know, and like, I do feel like the impact of managers does get overblown at times. We've talked about this, We talked about this when people wanted Scott to be fired and all that. It's just like, I don't think that's really going to fix much right now, but you know, but still, like you want to put yourself in a better position to succeed. I don't think Dan Wilson puts this team in a better position to succeed. And that's just what it is. And so like if they moved on from him, I would totally understand that. That's how sports work, right, Like, I don't think it's this like negative thing to be like, Hey, this team had incredible expectations, sky high expectations going into the season after the way that last year ended, and they have fallen well short of the mark. And I think, you know, beyond you know, cal struggles this year and Julio's inconsistencies and Josh Naylor's lack of power and all that stuff, I think beyond that, you know, this team has just been and it's been a little better as of late, but like for the most part of this year, this team has been a bad fundamental baseball team, Like they're bad at the things that you've learned in the Little league, right, Like, you know, thinking about just all the defensive miscues and West and Wilson going to third on you know, on a ball that said to the short stop in Miami, and you know, and and and it's not just the Wes and Wilson's of the world though, right, Like it's the guys at the top of the roster. It's you know, the all the issues with Randy, especially on the defensive side of things, or Randy forgetting the count and going to second, you know, with bases loaded against Kansas City and ending that threat. And you know, it's it's all that stuff that I think does ultimately reflect on leadership and on the manager and on the culture that is being cultivated there. And like, you know, we obviously don't know what happens behind closed doors. You know, we can only guess, right, But like it, for a long time this season, it just didn't feel like a club that had much accountability, if at all. And I do think that is a reflection to at least a certain degree of the manager. Right. And so from that perspective and from just the simple fact of this being sports and you have fallen well under expectations. If they did move on from him, I would not be surprised. I think it would be totally justified. And yeah, I you know, even when they handed him the keys, I was fine with them giving him an audition and then reassessing after the season. It was just why did you give him the keys immediately? You know? And so like the fact that they just shut themselves off from even going through an actual proper managerial hiring experience right like that, that to me really bothered me. And I've always felt like he just like it just never felt like he was the guy. And like I've I said this back when Dan got hired too, that like I felt like the type of manager they needed, especially going from Scott with someone that had been there and done that. And what I mean by that it's like actually win a championship, you know, And like at the time it was Tito, which I don't know if Tito actually wanted to, you know, if there would be any interest in coming to Seattle, But now it's like, could you get it, like a Bruce Bochie to come in And I'm not saying that like that has to be it, but like I did feel like for that specific group that maybe they needed someone more like that had that knows what it takes to get to a world series. But you know, obviously that has to align with the front office. That's how the marriage are going to handle business, you know, to a certain degree. So I don't know, there's a lot of complicated things with it, but yeah, in general, like I don't think Dan's the guy to take this thing forward personally for a lot of different reasons. And I think there are a lot of things, say you can point you that would make it a very justified decision if they did move on from him.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you guys this to wrap this thing up. But on a more positive note, fiftieth weekend player, your most excited to.
Speaker 6: See Oh Kyle see you. Yeah, that's not a surprise on the slightest.
Speaker 1: And by the way, like you can say whatever he wants about, like, hey, I've got prior obligations this weekend, Like well you knew this was going on.
Speaker 6: Like yeah, we we we know why he's not coming.
Speaker 7: And yeah, I don't care if he's Sara or not, like he should be one of the fifty, but I don't care if he's Sara or not, so.
Speaker 6: Whatever, I hope to see. And we had Ryan Devishan a couple of weeks ago, and he brought this person up as well as someone that he wanted to see on the Yeah, I don't. I don't think he will, but I would love to see Mike Zanino make this team. Yeah, yeah, that's just I would also love to see Fernando Rodney make this team. That would be so fun and like if he came out shot the arrow, like that would be electric. So there's those are a couple of like fringe guys you know from like the you know, the last decade that I would I would like to see. But yeah, someone that uh, I mean like I really want to see a rod and I'm really interested to see what they were. And by the way, if you boo him, well I was about to say a bad word. You get what I'm about to say.
Speaker 2: Our podcast allows all the curbing you want.
Speaker 6: So okay, well if you boo him, fuck you.
Speaker 1: Like if it's on site this weekend and I'm going to talk about it's.
Speaker 7: Like that, that's my answer because like I'm I I have a I have a hot take and I'm a little I know you guys do like the clips of your shows, and I'm a little afraid this might get pulled for like the poll coude here when I have I have a hot base that most Mariner fans will absolutely hate. But screw you. I think a hundred accurate. You should be more mad at Griffy than a rod because Griffy left you twice, like just high and dry. And the first time he said, I will only accept a trade to the Cincinnati Reds, and he greatly limited what you were able to get, and he left you right before the greatest run of franchise history. You think I Griffy had stuck around in twenty twenty one or in two thousand and.
Speaker 1: One, like you, you just you just spoiled ahead of time, exactly what I was going to talk about in this Friday social media theory.
Speaker 2: So thank you Callby for stepping on my.
Speaker 7: Smart people like understand this, and they're like, hey, let's why does Greed geta for literally falling asleep in the dugout and missing a pinchhitting opportunity only to get in his car and drive away. And by the way, I hold no ill will towards Griffy like fine, whatever, okay what but yeah, no, And that's it's the same thing should apply to a Rod. A Rod did nothing wrong. You were gas lit by a bad ownership group into thinking that he abandoned you for a little bit more money, No, three times the money that you offered.
Speaker 8: What are you doing?
Speaker 3: It's so simple.
Speaker 7: It's like, so I imagine believing the Mariner's ownership group, the group who, by the way, tried to derail Randy Johnson's career by telling you had degenerative back issues to ship them out for thirty cents on the dollar. Who you just got like kind of forget who just kind of forgave you? And so my thing with with a Rod is maritor fans, you don't get to offer your apologies or you don't like a Rod has to accept them, you know what I mean, Like, you don't get to forgive a Rod.
Speaker 8: A Rod has to forgive you.
Speaker 2: Because he did nothing wrong when he was here.
Speaker 8: I'm sorry he didn't.
Speaker 7: And so that's like the the like the the sicko answer to me. The real answer is obviously I love seeing Nelly every single time he's at.
Speaker 3: The All Park.
Speaker 7: Yeah, just one of my all time favorites. I assume you Wakuma. I don't know if he'll be there because I you know, I don't know where he's at right now, like in real life.
Speaker 8: Is he in Japan?
Speaker 7: I don't know, but uh, I love Youma is one of my favorites. And then I'm interested to see if Robinson Cano mikes this team as I.
Speaker 6: Should, like, yeah, yeah, yeah, I think Robbie will make the team. I'm I would love to see him though at the ballpark on Saturday.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's just it's kind of the same conversation. There's a lot of like, oh, the Robbie Ray deal was a disaster, and I was like, it's no, the Robbie Ray deal was incredible. Are the Robbie Ray so no, Robinson Cano truck.
Speaker 2: It was incredible.
Speaker 7: That deal work out perfectly and you still were even able to trade it once it started to go south like that. People always fun to like, well, you don't want to overpay, look at the Robinson Can Oh no, you get a seven ryer for five years?
Speaker 1: Real shame you put up like twenty five wins in five years.
Speaker 6: And yeah, but guys, but guys remembered the scars of the Robinson Cano contract.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say, who didn't like the Robinson Cano contract? Oh the people that run this baseball Like yeah, oh yeah, well.
Speaker 6: And again, and that goes back to what I was talking about earlier, that like, yeah, that's kind of the thing that you owned you have to do to bring some free agencies, Like you're gonna have to give them extra years and you're just gonna have to live with the fact that, like, hey, years one through six are gonna be great, and you's seven through ten probably not gonna be that good, you know, but like because but the contract is going to pay for itself on the first as it did with Robinson. So yeah, so whatever, but uh yeah, I'm really excited to see it.
Speaker 7: I know we got to get out of here real fast, but I want to ask you guys, like two really quick ones.
Speaker 8: Yeah, do you think Josh Naylor makes it?
Speaker 7: Because this is a fan vote thing and he only has only been here for so long, but you remember the love.
Speaker 8: Affair this fan base said with Josh Naylor right away? You think he makes it.
Speaker 6: I don't sure the vading happened before this season.
Speaker 1: You know, but yeah, I don't I don't think so. I mean, I had Gino on my list when we made ours.
Speaker 6: But Gino should be on there.
Speaker 3: But he also had two full years before.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, yeah, I'll say no on Naylor. But what's you know, what's the second one.
Speaker 7: How many guys on the current roster do you think makes Obviously Louise will count him even though he's not here, but like, at least you know.
Speaker 3: Luise will make it, Logan Gilbert will make it. I think Brian will will make it. I think Kirby will make it. Bryce is probably the odd man out, yeah, I would guess. And then on the core, Col's obviously on there, so is Julio. Uh so is JP Crawford?
Speaker 8: Yeah really.
Speaker 2: Maybe yeah maybe it's.
Speaker 3: Like right on the right on the cut off, like and movie will be on there.
Speaker 7: Movie You'll be in there for sure, yeah, Brah maybe yeah, maybe.
Speaker 2: Maybe yeah, but it'll be firing this weekend. It'll be really interesting to see that last. It'll be fun, so yeah, it'll be anyway.
Speaker 3: Plus this has been a lot of fun. Well, thank you guys for for taking some time. We got to do this again. I can't believe it took us this long. Over three and a half years of doing this podcast to get you both on, so we'll have to have you both on.
Speaker 6: This really is the first time that Colby and I have both been on here at the Center. That's crazy. That's crazy. Yeah, because I know I've been on here a couple of times with you guys, but yeah, that's that's crazy. Yeah, we absolutely need to do that. Yeah. Well we've done it once twice over on Lockdown, right. Yeah, so I got to do it this morn all.
Speaker 2: When we were on with you guys, people like seem to really enjoy it, and this has.
Speaker 6: Been a blast, so yeah yeah, I saw that in our comments a lot too, so yeah, yeah, I really appreciate it. Thanks guys so much. And you at the ballpark this weekend.
Speaker 3: Yeah a next time, less background.
Speaker 6: Noise, Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah, hopefully no like weird voice in the background of my mic.
Speaker 1: Next time, shout out Tyan Colby. It was a blast to have him on. It was really fun to talk some baseball with them and again cover a bunch of different things between trade deadline, State of the team, fiftieth weekend. I think people should still be excited about some aspects of the fiftieth Weekend, like we talked about, because there'll be some really cool elements to it, but paired with all that, we were obviously real and talking about the state of the team as well, because the twenty twenty six Mariner as well. It's a little bit of a different story, but it was really fun to have them on, so I'm glad we did it with that. That'll just about wrap up this edition of the Marine Layer Podcast.
Speaker 2: You guys know the drill.
Speaker 1: If you want to listen to the full form podcast, you can do so wherever you get your audio pods, download these episodes.
Speaker 2: If you're listening, please make sure to.
Speaker 1: Go rate and review and leave it five stars on Apple, Spotify, wherever you listen, and hit that subscribe button if you're watching on YouTube, if you can see us, you can also see the red subscribe button on YouTube, so just take a second to press it. You can find us on our website marine layerpod dot Com. Episodes are there, patreons there, podcast merch is all there. Seriously, go get yourself some podcast merch. It's marine layerpod dot com and then find us on social media too.
Speaker 2: We're everywhere at marine Layer Pod.
Speaker 1: That's TJ, I'm Lyle. As always, we thank you guys for tuning in. We'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 6: As time
Speaker 2: St