Speaker 1: Hi, Sabrina hay Will So I just got well as you got as the world got. Get ready everybody, because I guess it's official. Camp Rock three is filming and our producers are already going crazy about the grainy pictures coming out.
Speaker 2: Who's going to be in it, what's going to happen? Unbelievable.
Speaker 3: I'm here for it. I want you to know. It's like a hell yeah for me, Hell yeah.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: You know the thing that I read about this, which is which is interesting, is there was there's a uh something that was leaked from Disney by accident that said Camp Rock three. It's actually it's a combination of you know, music and dance the way they have it, but also hunger games where they all.
Speaker 2: Kill each other off.
Speaker 3: They're getting killed off.
Speaker 1: Only one Jonas lives. That's all that camp Camp Rock three. One Jonas makes it. That's what it's called.
Speaker 2: Will I didn't do this. This is Disney.
Speaker 4: I'm with the millions and millions of magical rewind that.
Speaker 2: People that can't wait to see. I love that. You think we have millions and millions of.
Speaker 4: But I am with them going they better not kill any one of those amazing.
Speaker 2: Is going to make my.
Speaker 3: Art could take it.
Speaker 2: Jonas enter one, Jonas leaves, that's camp Rock. Three people imagine. No, I couldn't imagine. But yes it's true.
Speaker 1: While I might have made up that last part, it is true.
Speaker 2: Can't big views in the world of the d com.
Speaker 1: But before we get to what will be the newest d com, we got to get to the first d com.
Speaker 2: Yes, what a great transition. My god, I'm good at this.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pj's and your popcorn and go back to a time and all the houses were smart, the waves tsunamis and there was one Jonas left, I'm wilfred.
Speaker 2: Ell and Sabrina brad Yes, as the saying goes, you never forget your first time. And so we are entering a sarcophagus for the DCOM that's started at All nineteen ninety seven's under wraps, diving headfirst again into an important time for the Disney Channel. That's the spooky season. You like that spooky voice, Give me your best movie. Yes, wo ah, that'll work. We of course, are talking about all hollows Eve Halloween, the weeniest of all Hollows.
Speaker 1: The movie debuted on October twenty fifth, nineteen ninety seven, just before Halloween, and was the beginning of a total rebrand when it came to films for the studio, introducing the term Disney Channel Original Movie or DCOM. The marketing that changed the entire ballgame, and the term DCOM is so beloved it pretty much become the common branding for any movie that the channel has aired exclusively throughout all of time. It has become an all inclusive term. So even early early movies are still being called DCOM. But Nope, this was the first one.
Speaker 2: And frankly, I'm a bit chucked because there's a lot of that went on in.
Speaker 3: This literally, I mean time and time again. I just kept going, did they just say that? Like, I mean, just so much. It's just unreal.
Speaker 4: It's it's the the evolution, I would say for the best.
Speaker 2: There was a.
Speaker 1: Time there was a time where one one character said one thing where I paused it, walked the length of my house to tell my wife exactly what this character said.
Speaker 2: And we will get into that.
Speaker 1: And I know you, I know you know exactly what I'm talking about a couple times. Yes, So We've already seen some of the most popular Halloween decommentries both past and present.
Speaker 2: We have Halloween Town, twitches, and zombies, just to name a few. D common Halloween have become a synonymous pair over the years, and under.
Speaker 1: Wraps is a massive reason why. Yes, it's chocolate meats peanut butter, peanut butter meats chocolate Halloween meets Disney. Under Wraps also marks a rare occurrence where the original film spawned a much later reboot and a sequel to that reboot, creating what Disney liked to call a franchise. But we're talking years and years and years later, and it can get a bit confusing because for some reason, only those are on Disney. Plus Ah, we'll get into it. Shot in the very hot summer of nineteen ninety six in Chico, California, which remember that, because it's going to come into play later. This was a new location for decomproduction, But then.
Speaker 2: Again was it.
Speaker 1: If this was the first d com then it was the original location for decomproduction. It was filmed on a low budget, but they hired a hungry team looking to make a good, quote unquote child friendly horror movie.
Speaker 2: Loosely inspired by et and they did such a good job that some websites Warren Parents that despite being on the family friendly side and being on the family friendly Disney channel, this movie involves a kid's adventure that includes quote mild scares and spooky atmospheres unquote, Sabrina, was this movie too scary for kids? Was it scary for you?
Speaker 4: No? No, it wasn't scary at all. Inappropriate at some times, but.
Speaker 2: Not scary, not even for kids. Not even the start.
Speaker 4: Okay, yes, actually the start was You're right, I need to get back on my time frame here. Yet the beginning was was a little oh whoa whoa closer to a horror film than what I was expecting, I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they really rode the line of like one more shot and it would not have been able to be on the like Disney at all.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, but I mean that throughout it though, I mean, it stopped being scary really at all, even the heighten of the drama in it was like, this is definitely a kid's Disney movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: Many families have made viewing the original under Wraps as an October slash Halloween tradition, so you would think it would be found on Disney Plus, like I was saying, but no, Shockingly, the first.
Speaker 2: D com is not on Disney Plus. Can you believe that?
Speaker 1: Only the new reboots are available to stream there? So you can watch it now on YouTube? Yes, it is horrible quality. I also there's two of them there on YouTube. One of them says an hour and six minutes long, one of them says an hour and thirty minutes long. The hour and thirty minute one is the one you want to watch it, and it's clearly better than the hour and six minutes.
Speaker 2: It's also, for some reason, twenty four minutes longer.
Speaker 1: Uh so, yes, it's free, so you can go watch that and feel free to watch it before we deep dive, or peep it later after you've waddled into the shallow end. But do it fast, people, because summer's ended and the weather's turning.
Speaker 2: The pool is going to get cold, very very soon. Sabrina, what was your knowledge of the first d comm ever under wraps before a little podcast here with millions of listeners?
Speaker 4: Apparently I had no idea so much that when it became what it was, which was a spooky season, I was shocked. I was like, oh, well, duh, that makes sense where we're at in the seasons of the world right now.
Speaker 3: But I was shocked.
Speaker 4: I had no idea under Wraps. I thought maybe it was like a detective movie. I really had no idea when it came to the name of it, and then it made sense the name of it later on as Okay, okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I knew.
Speaker 1: I knew what this movie was because of this podcast and okay, somebody had mentioned under Wraps and mummies.
Speaker 2: That's the only reason I knew what it was about, all right, So yeah, so I.
Speaker 3: Kept talking about reviewing this one for a.
Speaker 2: While now that so it must be that because I have.
Speaker 3: But I had no idea there was going to be a mummy.
Speaker 4: I I just kind of opened it up, watched it, and went, okay, we're folloween season yes.
Speaker 2: Something with this. Yeah there's no daddy, but there's definitely a mummy, thank you very much. So why don't you rise from your tomb and pine for the queen? It's time for the synopsis.
Speaker 1: Three kids accidentally awaken a three thousand year old mummy who they named Harold, and must hide him away while trying to return him to his lover before night This movie is directed by Greg Beeman. That is a name we have heard many times, a season name in Hollywood whose first jobs behind the camera were Magical World of Disney films. One was called The Little Spies and the other was a movie we have to do soon or my life will not be complete. The richest cat in the world. Yes, he would go on to direct movies like License to Drive, Mom and Dad, Save the World, underrated movie in my opinion, and Problem Child three. But listen to this lineup for d COM's people. These are the dcoms that bear his name. Under Wraps, Brink, Horse, Sense, Miracle and Lane to the Ultimate Christmas Present. There is not a dud in the bunch. He'd go on to become a force and TV, both directing and executive producing shows like Heroes, Smallville, Nash Bridges, and Falling Skies. As far as the cast goes, under Rap stars Mario Yedidia. I want to say, is how you pronounce his name as Marshall. He by all definitions as the star. Mario was also seen in the movie Jack with Robert Williams, but that's about it. Under Wraps was basically his last project, which is something we've not really seen before, kid did two movies and bounced.
Speaker 2: Adam Wiley is Gilbert.
Speaker 1: He's best known as Zachary Brock on the nineties TV show Picket Fences, but he has worked a ton over the years. As a kid, he's in movies like Child's Play two and Kindergarten Cop and basically appeared in every TV show you've ever seen, from Seinfeld to Who's the Boss to Living Single two, Boy Meets World. And as an adult, you've seen him in Castle, Shake It Up, and CSI Miami. But most notably, he appeared in the twenty twenty two Under Wraps reboot. Is a fun little Easter egg for the fans of the original. Ken Campbell is Bruce. Ken is a recognizable character actor seen in things like armagedon Groundhog Day, Seinfeld Again, and Coyote Ugly, and in an episode of Girl Meets World as well. He played Jingles the Clown, but our listeners will know him the best is the just relieved mal Santa that Kevin Callister runs into with a message for the real Santa in Home Alone. Ken is still working today, most recently heard as the voice on the animated series Adventures in Wonder Park Clara or Clara. I think it's Clara Bryant is Amy. Clara had appeared on Roseanne and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but most importantly for this podcast, she's in the dcom True Confessions. Her last credit was in two thousand and seven, and I recognized her from Drew Confessions but couldn't figure where, and so I did it a little Google honor.
Speaker 2: She is now an attorney. Wow. Great.
Speaker 1: Yes, she left the business entirely after being a child actor, went to law school and is a practicing attorney. Kareem Boor I'm hoping I say that right, but I'm sure I am not. It's probably Coryn Bahar. It's I think it's Kareeen Bohr plays Marshall's mom. She starred in Police Academy for Citizens on Patrol Underrated Citizens on Patrol, Police Academy movie. Yes, I'm saying that right because it is an underrated a movie for Police Academy.
Speaker 2: Three was okay, four was pretty good, and she was also in the movie Zapped.
Speaker 1: But to us, she's just Julie in Phantom of the Megaplex. She has since appeared on TV shows like Murder. She wrote Party of Five, Veronica, Mars and Grey's Anatomy, and the legendary Bill Fagerbaki plays Harold the Mummy. Bill first hit mainstream as assistant Coach Dauber on Coach, but will always be the voice of Patrick Starr on SpongeBob SquarePants. You want to hear something really crazy.
Speaker 2: Yes, I've never once seen an episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is crazy.
Speaker 2: I mean I've never seen and I've i hear it's amazing and Tom Kenny's a great guy and a friend. And I've never ever seen an episode of SpongeBob square.
Speaker 4: I get little snippets here because it plays on my recordings before my friend's episodes that I record every single one of.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 4: I have ever seen it, really honestly that much too. I wasn't a big fan, which I know is like crazy. I just wasn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, by the way, SpongeBob SquarePants because it's so big as pretty much all you need for this man's career. But he still does a ton of voiceover rolls. I've gotten a chance to work with him several times. He's a very nice guy. I love just to He's great he's gray. He is a true legend and someone who went through a ton of pain for this role or roles since they filmed in the California summer heat. He almost passed out numerous times while in the Mummy costume.
Speaker 2: Isn't that crazy?
Speaker 1: But enough preamble, Let's get to what really matters. The runtime, people, that's all that matters in any of these films. Under Wraps is.
Speaker 2: Ninety five minutes, oh man, And I was just starting to love this film.
Speaker 1: That is five minutes over the target and we are in what many would call a dead zone no matter what's in the movie.
Speaker 2: The scariest part of under Wraps is that you have to sit for more than an hour and a half foot everyone involved, may you get a hang nail? What were you gonna say?
Speaker 4: A double a double hit two? Especially when you're looking on YouTube and you're like, oh, it's only an hour and then it's like, no, it's not an hour and thirty five minutes.
Speaker 2: Hour and thirty five minutes. Yes, So it could have been a great movie.
Speaker 1: Now it can only even if it's the best movie ever, can only be good. And it's written by Don Reimer, a prolific writer starting in TV which shows like Coach Again, Evening Shade in Carolina and the City, but eventually crafting movies like all the Big Mama's House films, Surfs Up and Rio Rymer unfortunately passed away in twenty twelve and was only fifty one years old. And now wrap me in bandages and call me Harold, we are entering the horror.
Speaker 2: That is now known as under Wraps.
Speaker 1: The movie opens with a little stop motion over parchment paper and what can be seen as the bandages from a mummy. There's a sarcophagus, a spider, a snake in the hand of well said mummy. The viewers know right off the bat.
Speaker 2: We're in for a little bit of Halloween fun, and then we're thrown right into it.
Speaker 1: Spooky music and a young boy named Ben pushing around his food on a dinner plate. His dad sternly states that Ben must sleep in his own room tonight. His mean big sister calls him a baby because he thinks a monster lives in his closet. So let's go really quickly and add her to the crappy dcom siblings list. And we're not even two minutes in. Good news is he tells her to shut up and calls her a cow.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of mean like in this whole movie.
Speaker 1: There's just an insult after insult insult.
Speaker 2: It is the mid nineties, people, this is how we spoke to each other.
Speaker 1: Ben swears the monster's real, though it's huge with hairy arms and sharp teeth. His dad calls to claim ridiculous. But guess what it's not because we enter a point of view from outside the house looking in through a window, and whatever it is, it's lightly growling. It is a monster. Also, Sabrina, this is what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: A we both area. It's a bit scary what's going on.
Speaker 5: But b.
Speaker 1: Did you know right away this was gonna be a movie within a movie?
Speaker 2: No, I didn't you, Okay, I went.
Speaker 4: I was like shocked, and I'm like kind of embarrassed that I didn't realize that that was happening, because I went, we are getting to some serious, really fat and then it happened, and I was like, oh, you dumb, dumb, like what like, come on, Sterna, You've been watching this stuff too much to not realize that was happening.
Speaker 3: Like right from the start. I think I was just.
Speaker 4: Really caught on being the the idea that this little brother was calling his sister a cow.
Speaker 3: I think that's where I was trying to figure that out real quick.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, no, I it took me about thirty seconds, but I was like, oh, this is gonna be fake.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, see no, I wasn't and I haven't look good.
Speaker 1: The camera angles are weird. I was like, oh, they're they're doing a fake like horror movie here.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well it's also hard to because it's on YouTube, so it's you know, trying to very quickly.
Speaker 2: Kind of like figure it out.
Speaker 3: Figure that out was, you know, but I should give myself that much credit. I was an idiot. Sorry.
Speaker 1: So, just as Ben sub comes to his dad's insistence that monsters aren't real, whatever's outside is gearing up. The kids leave to do homework with mom while dad sticks around the kitchen to wash them dishes, but he stumbles dropping a sharp knife down the drain.
Speaker 2: Damn.
Speaker 1: He reaches in to get it as it spins with the compactor. He sizes up how he's going to how he's going to retrieve it, and it's all pretty luminous, and then smash a monster in a Flannel crashes through the window, grabs dad's head and squeezes as hard as he can.
Speaker 2: We get a close up.
Speaker 1: With the monster's face and it's almost dripping with teeth in every direction.
Speaker 2: It's truly horrifying, especially for a kids movie. The dad screams as they both look at the looming circling knife, and then it's like the monster's gonna slam his head down and the knife to grind up his head, and then we pull out. It is just a movie. We're in a pack theater watching wart heead for a day in the country.
Speaker 4: The grieving titles that are in this movie are pretty dang good.
Speaker 2: Pretty good. Wart add four, it's pretty good.
Speaker 3: They're good.
Speaker 2: So we zoom in then on two boys, Gilbert and Marshall. The bespeckled Gilbert is screaming and very scared. Marshall is way more season to frights. Gilbert can't take it anymore, so he sprints off to the lobby, where he says he will need to vomit. The movie ends in the crowd disperses, Marshall reunited with Gilbert, who was waiting outside. Gilbert is not ashamed whatsoever. He likes happy movies like the sound of music. On their walk home, the boys talk about, by the way, that was me, I was that guy. I don't want to go see a horror movie. I'd much rather sing the hills are Alive with the sound of music. Yes.
Speaker 1: On their walk home, the boys talk about their upcoming Halloween costumes or lack thereof. Gilbert, who already feels like a wet blanket, calls it a dumb tradition, and just as they're about to cross the street, a car goes speeding by, eventually swerving and making a harsh, very unsafe term. That is mister Kubot, Marshall's creepy neighbor who always drives like a madman. Gilbert has delivered his newspaper for two years, but is too afraid to even collect the money.
Speaker 4: Okay, wait, hold on, We're back at this paper job that I don't fully fully understand, right, So.
Speaker 3: I'm like, okay, so you have to collect the money from everywhere?
Speaker 4: Did you ever have this job? Did you have anyone there? So I'm like so confused. Now I'm like, so.
Speaker 3: This kid that gets hired to do this to row the papers?
Speaker 2: Right, you drive her bike?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You drive your bike, you throw the papers.
Speaker 4: You throw your paper, but then you also have to go around and collect money. This is like, that's a lot for a kid to do to collect money from adults.
Speaker 2: I think you do. You have your little notebook and you have to go like, hey, mister Johnson, you owe me for last month or last week or whatever. I think I think that's how it works. Wow, And then do you take your cut or get I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's like this just seems like a really complicated job for like a kid that I would assume would be like eleven.
Speaker 2: You know who?
Speaker 1: You know who we should ask about this? Kathy Ireland, the supermodel. Why because Kathy Ireland was like one of the She won an award for for like most prolific newspaper delivery person when she was a kid.
Speaker 2: Now I know you're swear to God.
Speaker 1: She told us this story on Podmet's World, I Swear to God And it was something like they weren't they didn't want to give her the award because she was a girl or something like that, but it was there was something about that. Yeah, it was a whole thing square hand to God, handgud remember correctly, Yes, but it is they have to like collect the money or whatever.
Speaker 2: But what did they not have, Sabrina.
Speaker 3: They didn't have that paper.
Speaker 2: Magic launching things from the other the left overs from the left from the others, exactly from from me too. That was the other one got it? Oh, by the way, I just got a text. They are down to two Jonahs brothers, and so Marshall has decided tonight is the night they do something about that. It's payday. But built stinking about one of the Jonah's brothers being killed us yet happened, because it's like it would never The Joe bros.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't allow it, but Gilbert begs him to leave him alone, just leave it alone.
Speaker 2: He doesn't want to collect the money.
Speaker 1: But there's an urban legend that Coubot actually kill the kid once, but Marshall reveals the kid just moved to Toronto, and just like that, Marshall ignores his pal and stomps right up to the creepy man's front door and rings the doorbell. A bright porch light turns on, blinding the two boys. As mister Coubot answers the door, he has a tall, scary presence holding an attack dog on a chain. Marshall tries to explain the money owed, but when the dog begins to ferociously bark, the boys scurry off, screaming in fear. They're followed closely behind by the sprinting canine, who only stops when he runs out of the chain. Mister Coubot lasts in satisfaction, and the boys yell all the way to Marshall's house. Once home, Marshall is greeted by his mom, then her new eager to please boyfriend Ted.
Speaker 2: This, of course, is mister Fagerbaki.
Speaker 1: Gilbert takes off as Marshall retreats to his bedroom to avoid his mom's new companion, and he is coming on a little strongly.
Speaker 2: Hey pal, Hey bud, Huh, how's everything going, sport?
Speaker 1: It's like all right by the second sport, Get the hell out of my face. Marshall's room is, by the way, a horror fans dream. It's filled with full sized monsters and intricate masks. His mom knocks in the door to explain to him that Brad is a really nice guy. Marshall's parents divorced, and it obviously still affects him. A few days later, at school, the boys are eating lunch when their friend Amy. Okay, we're gonna, we're gonna go down, We're gonna we're gonna eventually talk about Amy a little bit, because Amy, to me is the most one of the most bonkers characters in the history of d coms.
Speaker 2: Yes, she's mean and snarky and sexual, and it's like, it's the strangest choice for a twelve year old character in the history of any dcom we've seen.
Speaker 4: Right, well, already we're jumping into something that we rarely see on the d in the d coms is divorce, right, that's where it happened. That's one of my Sabrina seas like right off the bat, we're like four or five minutes in and finding out a divorce. Not that it's a bad topic, but it's different from what we are used to seeing on the channel at this point, after we've watched seven hundred of them and so we're I mean, then you get hit in the face with Amy, and she just gets crazier and crazier as we continue through the movie, Like it really she's she's a different kind of character and very different from what we see her. And she confessions like, oh my god, day of the kind of character we see in True Confession.
Speaker 3: She's a great actress.
Speaker 2: Like, she's very very good, and it's a good character. It's a good character. It's just not a deep character.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly where you're just I mean, I was so thrown so many times in this movie. It was just like, and she's the one that I'm assuming is the one that you went and told Sue about.
Speaker 3: It was one of her one of her clothes.
Speaker 2: We will talk about this.
Speaker 1: So a few days later, at school, they're eating lunch, Amy arrives.
Speaker 2: She has news he's dead. She says, mister Kubat was found sprawled out on the kitchen floor, covered in pancake batter, but it was a heart attack. He was just making pancakes at the time. Amy says that Kubat used to work at some museum in New York and has no friends or surviving family. Her mom is selling his house and it's very very swoogie. There's even a rumor that Coubat has a coffin in his basement. Marshall doesn't believe it, so Amy says there's only one way to find out, and despite Gilbert saying it's a bad idea, today they start breaking the law.
Speaker 1: And that's one of the on running things of this movie is these little felons running around the town wreaking havoc everywhere.
Speaker 4: I mean, when we talk about teacos, we talk about like all these like great choices that the kids are learning to make, and this one is like a bad choice after a bad choice, after very very bad choices.
Speaker 1: Dude, It's unbelievable. So of course, that night, Amy and Marshall forced Gilbert to join them. They're going to break into Kubat's house, and when they arrive, after much effort, they push their way in through a basement window. Gilbert upside down surveys the scene. It's weird but not too scary until he spots it. It's an old Egyptian tomb with a mummy's hand peeking out. Gilbert screams, running off into the night, and his friends chase after him to find out what he saw, but he immediately realizes he left his glasses in the basement, so there's no way he's going back. He tells his paths that he saw a coffin and a hand. Marshall Niemy force scaredy cat Gilbert to return to the basement through some very friendly blackmail, and Amy reveals she's had the front door key from her mom the entire time. She just thought breaking in would be more fun. Shed they could have walked in the front door, but she wanted them to break in. It's specifically talking about Yeah, I thought breaking it would be more fun.
Speaker 4: And to be honest, I feel like when you're growing up, every group of friends has this chick or or guy or dude or dude that is coming up with these bad ideas, and for whatever reason, the rest of you ding dongs go with these stupid ideas.
Speaker 3: I know I had one. I think, okay, so that I might have been one.
Speaker 2: And that's well, that's what I'm gonna ask.
Speaker 1: It leads me to a great question. How many crimes did you commit as a kid and what were they?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Man, I don't I don't, honestly think if anything, I was the chicken that didn't want to do anything and just kind of anything.
Speaker 3: That was usually me.
Speaker 4: But I would do stuff that I knew if I got caught, wouldn't be that bad, like breaking into my sister's room.
Speaker 2: Right that kind of Oh that's.
Speaker 3: Not that bad.
Speaker 4: But I felt like that was I had some balls to do it because my sister found out I was really going to be in trouble, but actually breaking the law, I didn't.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't think I did that. Really, I honestly can't think of one. Do you have one? Did you break the law? Well?
Speaker 2: No, no, I never did. I was an amazing I don't want to.
Speaker 3: Be recorded and on camera.
Speaker 2: And I was an amazing kid. I never broke the law as a kid in any way, shape or form a right, I never did anything angel I did. I got into let's put it this way.
Speaker 1: I might have gotten into some shenanigans and or monkey shines. It might have happened, but I didn't do anything horrible. But you know, there was an occasional my friends and I would break into our school when we were like, you know, in seventh grade, like that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: But nothing. We didn't do anything like we never caused any serious damage or lit fires or didn't do any of that kind of crazy stuff. We didn't steal cars.
Speaker 3: Or anything interested in doing that.
Speaker 7: I was.
Speaker 2: I was a scaredy cat in my of my group as well.
Speaker 1: We would see, you know, one of the things we used to do, which I guess is technically breaking the law is we would all gather at a friend's house for a sleepover, and then we'd sneak out in the middle of the night to go to a girl's house who was also.
Speaker 2: Having a sleepover, and then you trying to kiss the girls over there.
Speaker 1: So like walking through the town at three o'clock in the morning, trying to get to the other side of town through train tracks and stuff like that, dangerous and probably technically breaking a lot with stuff like that that we were doing, but never anything that was you know, like this girl is, she's advocating serious breaking.
Speaker 3: An abandoned house and doing that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: That's a lot, especially when you have mom too.
Speaker 3: Though she's stealing a key of a house that they don't know. That's right either.
Speaker 1: Also choosing to break the law over just opening the door like she's like, no, I wanted to break some stuff.
Speaker 2: Yikes. So anyway, they unlock the door and they walk in and we see the mummy hand in the basement, slowly moving, so maybe he's waking up.
Speaker 1: The house looks very much abandoned. The kids navigate their way through the dust, eventually finding the basement door. Amy and Marshall make their way downstairs, with Gilbert staying upstairs. That would have been me finally getting out of his journey. He doesn't want to be there in the first place, but now he's alone, surrounded by slamming shut doors, creaky noises, and a turning doorknob, and Jesuinenie's had enough. His friend's return, seemingly unfazed by the basement, A terrified Gilbert begins to describe what he's been seeing, and that's when an angry mummy bursts through the nearby door. He waddles towards the kids, who try to hide from him throughout the house, eventually landing in a bedroom and blocking the door with furniture, but it does nothing to keep them safe. The mummy, now grunting loudly, breaks through it. Immediately they're trapped and staring at them. Monster completely at his mercy, and just when you think he's going to attack, he notices a nearby toilet. He detours, entering the bathroom and then takes a long pe and gives a sigh of satisfaction. Is this our first urinating in a dcom police?
Speaker 2: So okay that we have yet to have any bodily functions.
Speaker 3: Right at this point, I think we've ever used a restroom.
Speaker 2: No, no, we haven't done that.
Speaker 1: Zac Efron is in the middle of the song, then goes excuse me, and then walks into pe and we listen to him. P that hasn't happened, as he's still singing in the bathroom.
Speaker 4: Would have been racy in its own right. So I think we steer clear from Zach Everett.
Speaker 2: You didn't do any something like.
Speaker 1: That that You didn't have to stop strutting halfway through to run to the restroom really quick.
Speaker 2: That's not a thing, no, gotcha.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So, while he urinates, the kids make a b line for the door. You can tell the dcom still trying to find itself, but the Mummy catches Gilbert, grabbing him by the shirt and picking him up off the ground, But instead of killing the boy, which would have kind of been on par for this movie, he hands him his glasses. Gilbert thanks the monster, but it's spooked by Marshall's beeping digital watch, but again he doesn't attack. He just wants to see the watch, and when it peeps again, it's the Mummy who cowers in fear. Marshall explains it just tells the time and has a calendar. It's obvious this mummy isn't gonna hurt him. He's friendly but very, very smelly, and Marshall decides he's gonna keep the Mummy. He doesn't want anyone to capture their new friend and treat him like et. They even mention Et, so they lock him in the house and promise they'll be back tomorrow. And so the next morning at school, the friends regroup. Marshall doesn't want anybody to know about the mummy, especially his mom or her new dumb boyfriend. Then Todd, a redhead with a crush on Amy, who obviously is like the son of one of the directors of the writers, pops up at their lockers, but she won't give them the time of day.
Speaker 2: As a matter of fact, she's kind of a she's.
Speaker 3: Too rude, as held in him like rude rude.
Speaker 1: And he's super sweet and not creepy. He doesn't come in a creepy way. He's like very nice. They make him a nice kid, and they make hurt just flat out mean again. Yeah, So he apologizes for live and breathing the same air as her and trails off she admits she could never like him because he saw the Ulsen Twins movie twice. That's such a bad thing. And then he never appears again. It is quite an odd thing, quite an odd cameo.
Speaker 2: A scene you can cut.
Speaker 1: We could have gotten closer to the ninety minutes because it was completely and totally unnecessary.
Speaker 3: He never comes back.
Speaker 1: Nope, never comes back. It's never mentioned no one. That's that's it' that was again. I will be happy to fund your movie if you give my son a part. Marshall wonders if he should skip school to go take care of the mummy. Amy still isn't sold that the monster is nice, and Marshall admits they need to learn more about him, and he knows just the guy to go to.
Speaker 2: We cut to the Forbidden World bookstore.
Speaker 1: It's owned by a guy named Bruce and filled with items perfect for either Halloween decorating or furnishing a serial killer's apartment. Skulls, candelabras, old books. Eventually, Bruce stumbles out from the back room. He's choking and can't breathe. He eventually falls flat in his face, revealing a knife in his bloody back. Oh my god, Marshall says it looks incredibly fake, and Bruce, who is very much still alive, as offended it was a Marshall introduces his friends to Bruce, who then goes on about how the new Warhead movie, the one we saw in the beginning, is art. The kids pretend they're writing a report on mummies, and Bruce leads them to a dusty book. He explains they were guardians in Egypt, now buried in coffins, ready to attack anyone who ever disturbs their holy crypt and.
Speaker 2: Every year around Halloween.
Speaker 1: And this is where I was like, Okay, thank god, they're putting some rules to it, so I'm happy now. The spirit of a mummy can be freed to walk the earth during a full moon, but if it doesn't return by midnight, his soul will be lost forever.
Speaker 2: And they recognize one of the book's illustrations. They saw it on the coffin itself at Cubat's. It's the eye of Ra, the sun god.
Speaker 1: When the kids return to Kubot's house, a little boy named Leonard greets them by asking if they'd like to see him picking a scab. The kid exchanges words with Amy, with the young girl mentioning her bra and maybe we're realizing once again, why this isn't on Disney.
Speaker 2: Plus, this is weird, bizarre, gotta be a producer's kid cameo number two in the film. I mean, what were you thinking at this point this? I was like, what is this kid doing here? Yes?
Speaker 3: And yeah, why is it?
Speaker 4: Why aren't throughout this entire movie any of these kids supervised. I'm gonna jump to a Sabrina seas right now because they seem I mean, look, I might have been a little bit more sheltered than most kids.
Speaker 3: I would. I would.
Speaker 4: That's okay for me to say, because Monroe's gonna get another five years of the shelterness than what I even got.
Speaker 2: Poor kid, I know, but right.
Speaker 3: Oh so sad. However, Ledger Leger could fend for himself. He's okay to like go out on those streets by himself. No one's messing with him. I just feel like even the movie theater, they seemed.
Speaker 2: Very young to be by themselves.
Speaker 4: By themselves at the movie theater with the mom, not even at least in the back row, or then even more to walk home.
Speaker 3: From the movie theater by themselves.
Speaker 1: How are you supposed to be small town America in the mid nineties, just a little safer.
Speaker 2: I guess it wasn't really I get was it.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I was not allowed to be anywhere of how how old do we think these kids are at this point?
Speaker 2: Like what I was thinking, like eleven, Okay.
Speaker 3: That's what I was thinking.
Speaker 4: So I think at eleven, I was maybe able to ride my bike up to like the boardwalk and Carl's Junior shopping Center.
Speaker 2: But I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't even know, like at night, No, during the day and the summertime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, at night, I don't know.
Speaker 3: There's just no supervision.
Speaker 1: No, there isn't. And it's like it's got to be a rated R movie. So how did they get into the movie?
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly. So there's a lot of questionable parenting.
Speaker 2: I agree, I agree quote on parenting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, decisions being made here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really crazy.
Speaker 1: No, I agree with you. I agree with you one hundred percent. So yeah, but it was also just she's talking about her bra at eleven. This little kid's whole cameo was this.
Speaker 3: Kid is much younger too, nine, I would say it's five or six.
Speaker 2: He's young.
Speaker 4: His parents where are they they're not in the front yard. They're like, I mean he's sitting there watching. I don't know if he's like the next door neighbor to this crazy Coubot house it's.
Speaker 2: Supposed to be.
Speaker 1: He's Also, he does have the funny line though, about carrying a blank He's like, it's not a blanket, it's a towel in case I have to clean up something on the way.
Speaker 2: It was like, what the just it's bonker. Some of this dialogue is really weird. I love that it's not a blank It's not a blank town in case I got to clean stuff up on the way home. Like, oh Jesus, sorry, Billy, it was nuts. Little Leonard mentions a yellow truck parked outside earlier and it took all of the Coubot's stuff away. The kid's darting to the house, which is now completely empty, and are greeted by Amy's mom, the realtor.
Speaker 1: She explains the I R S confiscated his belongings to payoff debt. The kids cannot believe it. Meanwhile, down at the local dairy freeze, the mummy is aimlessly roaming the streets.
Speaker 2: He enters the drive through and is confused by the.
Speaker 1: Intercom, eventually groaning out in order for Burger's fries in a jumbo orange soda worth noting here people the total was three dollars and seventy four cents.
Speaker 3: For all of the food he bought.
Speaker 2: My age and want to hear very very old.
Speaker 1: I you know, the last time I was at a fast food place, I got like a number one and a burger or something.
Speaker 2: It's like nineteen dollars. What are you kidding me? Oh yeah, oh, it's insane. Yeah.
Speaker 4: A family of four easily throws down fifty dollars like he's more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's crazy. A McDonald's, yes, not even.
Speaker 3: Getting extra stuff ordering the meals.
Speaker 4: It's like a drink, a fry and a burger, or a drink, a fry, yeah, and a burger.
Speaker 3: That's ayane.
Speaker 2: People should be ashamed of themselves.
Speaker 1: He takes only a soda, though, and burps his way into the town center, apparently undetected by everyone, until a little kid in a bee costume points him out to his mom as quote unquote an ugly person. But she won't look because some people are just born quote special.
Speaker 8: The kid says, is very well, then he's very special.
Speaker 4: That was just like such a normal thing for a kid to say, being like okay, but.
Speaker 2: He now roaming in the park.
Speaker 1: The mummy throws out his soda because mummies don't litter, obviously, and that's when he sees a hospital next door. A man is being wheeled in after an accident and is wrapped in gauze head to toe. The mummy gets very excited at the site and runs over to see what he assumes is probably a relative. Once inside the hospital, the automatic doors closed on one of his bandages and slowly unravels him as he walks the halls. I thought this was going to end, meaning like he was totally unraffled, but it just didn't. He's he's heartwarmed by relatives, embracing and given some forms to fill out.
Speaker 2: He even sees people like handing each other flowers. It's very nice. But when a nurse finally sees him, she is terrified.
Speaker 1: Everyone assumes he's a burn victim who treated himself, and a doctor throws him on a gurney.
Speaker 2: They can't find a heartbeat and he's not breathing, so they hit.
Speaker 1: Him with a defibrillator, shocking him and helping him escape very funny, and just when the kids think they'll never see him again, they spot the mummy fleeing the hospital.
Speaker 2: They help him hide from the orderlies, and Marshall offers.
Speaker 1: His house to hide at, because well, since Ted is around all the time, his mom is used to big, clunky dudes walking around, and so they sneak the mummy into his attic, which, remember is filled with so many monsters that he fits right in, which is put to the test when Marshall's mom enters wondering about the noises she's been hearing while the Mummy pretends to be just another statue. Amy Tap dances poorly to explain the noises, and of course his idiot mom buys it.
Speaker 2: She just wants him to clean his.
Speaker 1: Room because it stinks, so once she leaves, Marshall douses the monster in cologne. Though that helps for the time being, they know that they have to get him back into his coffin by midnight or else it's going to be bad. In the meantime, the monster tries to eat a goldfish, plays the.
Speaker 2: Song Oh Bamassive by Eric Carmen on the boombox, and it's given the name Harold by Marshall.
Speaker 4: Was that a cover or was that a nice I think it was the real one, the original.
Speaker 2: I think it was the original. Yeah. Here's the other thing.
Speaker 1: This is where this is one of the lines where I paused and went really, uh. So he's given the name Harold by Marshall because he looks like his uncle Harold. And then they cut to Amy, who says, oh my god, your aunt must want to open a vein. And I'm like, oh, it's our first d com suicide joke.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, yeah, I just thought she just again is so mean.
Speaker 3: I didn't even think.
Speaker 2: About it's a suicide.
Speaker 3: Joel words that she said, yes, yes.
Speaker 2: It is our very first.
Speaker 1: Chalk it up, people, if your bingo card was first Disney Channel suicide joke, you can click it off.
Speaker 2: The map because there it is.
Speaker 9: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was like, geez, but of the time, those kinds of things were so normal to say.
Speaker 2: Now here's like I would. I agree.
Speaker 4: I don't even want to say them because it's like you just don't say that stuff anymore.
Speaker 1: No, I agree, but I don't think it was even of the time for a kids movie though, oh.
Speaker 3: Well, not not a Disney kid.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying, they're still the finding themselves and we obviously we Hey, we had all of the podcasts now, all the shows, all the rewatch everything. You do your best to realize all this stuff has done in a different time.
Speaker 2: I totally understand that. And you can't.
Speaker 1: You can't put the things that we know now are things you shouldn't say on thirty years ago.
Speaker 2: It's just not the way it works. However, I would say, even thirty years.
Speaker 1: Ago in a Disney movie, they're not making suicide jokes.
Speaker 3: No, right, the.
Speaker 4: Yeah, gosh, no, I don't.
Speaker 3: I really I think you're right. I can't. I can't think of any movie that that would ever have done that. Really.
Speaker 1: I mean maybe like a Mighty Ducks it would have been something like why don't you skate over your own neck? I mean like they might have thrown something like but you know what I mean, like it would be something ridiculous like that.
Speaker 2: It wouldn't be a straight up She was literally like, your aunt must your uncle looks like that, Your aunt must want to kill herself.
Speaker 8: It was like, oh my god, yeah, he's he is a total like we need it, Oh.
Speaker 4: My gosh, Like what is happening in your house right now, that there's you to be saying things like this, Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Know's going on.
Speaker 4: I will say I was little in the nineties and I know.
Speaker 3: That kids did say harsh things like this.
Speaker 2: You know, kids have always said harsh stuff. Yeah, they don't put.
Speaker 3: It in movies, no, yeah, wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So that to me it was like, oh my god, I can't but they well, there's a suicide joke. Yeah.
Speaker 1: That night, after Amy's suicide jokes, we're transported to a warehouse. There are some mafia guys arguing while standing over Harold's coffin.
Speaker 2: The mob boss tells his workers to find him.
Speaker 1: It's not like he can get up and walk away, and while Marshall watches his mom and Ted kiss goodbye at his car, he complains to Harold his parents divorced three years ago, and he doesn't he his dad much. He thinks love is overrated. As Marshall retreats to bed, Harold seems sad and offers his new friend a plant and comfort.
Speaker 2: He seems like a nice mummy. After all, he's mimicking what he saw in the hospital where they she handed them the flowers. It was very sweet. It was, and then Amy comes in and goes on Jack Kelly is.
Speaker 1: Off, and that night Harold is wide awake. As Marshall sleeps. To pass the time, he toys with a cushe ball gun.
Speaker 2: Sabrina, please tell me you know what a cushball was.
Speaker 3: I did. I did.
Speaker 4: I was like, oh, that's I love the throwbacks when we get these, you know one of the movies we just recently, the clear phone that lights up when it rings, like those things are so awesome to me.
Speaker 3: I love seeing them in these ways, making.
Speaker 2: Me right back to a time when cushballs were fun. That's all we know. While playing with the gun, it accidentally goes off, but luckily it doesn't wake Marshall. It just shoots the cushball out of an open window, and so to get it back, Harold leaves the house, only to find a dog with the ball in his mouth.
Speaker 1: They stare each other down until Harold tries to catch him off guard, causing h case. Harold stumbles onto a skateboard, haphazardly riding it down the sidewalk and eventually slamming it into a stop sign, but he quickly gets up and continues following the animal, ending at the dog's house or a dog house. It's actually the dog's house, you know what I'm saying now, With the mud hiding inside, Harold reaches into the doghouse, but the dog has sunk its teeth deep into him and won't let it go. It's a tug of war between the Mummy and the dog until Harold is distracted by a passing city bus with an ad for the Mysteries of the Pyramids exhibit. The graphic includes the symbol of the sun god raw, exciting the Mummy, so he runs off to chase it, submitting to the dog and its Cousheball forever. Back at home, Marshall awakens in the middle of the night to realize his monster has escaped. He takes the streets with Amy and Gilbert on their bikes to find him. Also, while making fun of Gilbert's.
Speaker 2: Pajamas, Amy reveals she sleeps in the nude, forcing Gilbert to crash into a mailbox.
Speaker 1: And yes, this is why it wasn't on Disney. Plus, this is when I paused the movie and went, I'm gonna walk the length of my home to go speak to.
Speaker 2: My wife about what I just saw on the screen.
Speaker 3: I could not.
Speaker 4: I stopped and had to say, Jordan, this Carol is talking about being nude, and he goes, well, where's this?
Speaker 3: Where was this movie? And I'm like, it's a Disney movie. He's like, this was on the Channel.
Speaker 2: I'm like, yeah, I sleep in the nude. The eleven or twelve year old girl talking about how she sleeps in the nude. This was bunk. I thank you, the exact word. This was bananas to me, not bananas, bananas. It was so crazy that this made it into a Disney Channel movie.
Speaker 4: Yes, I thought bra would be where we cut the line would be drawn.
Speaker 3: No, No, I.
Speaker 1: Mean this was I know it's the it's just the word nude. It shouldn't be that big a deal, but it.
Speaker 2: Is a It is kevin year old girl talking about sleeping naked.
Speaker 3: It's so weird. It's so weird on so many different love weird.
Speaker 2: It's just not right.
Speaker 3: It's not right.
Speaker 2: They are definitely finding their footing still on the Channel.
Speaker 4: And to be honest, now that we are talking, I mean we know now that it's not on Disney Plus. I would be calling Disney Plus and be like, I need my money back.
Speaker 3: This is ridiculous.
Speaker 4: I can now not trust even wrote and just be like browsing around me, what does it mean to sleep in the nude?
Speaker 3: She doesn't even know that word.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's it's amazing, It's truly amazing.
Speaker 4: By the way, my anxiety was like thru the roof, where are we going with this?
Speaker 2: Next?
Speaker 3: Couldn't believe this, lose Magoo's and what's happening?
Speaker 2: Yes, it's a crazy making suicide jokes, talking about you, talking about how mean to people. It's such a strange character and it's so great. She's a good actress, she's playing her well. It's like it's.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, a strange character.
Speaker 4: She's not the only I mean, not that we would expect something like this, but like the nature of her character is so not a best friend kind of character that we see in Disney movies. This is the villain or the mean girl who comes in and out here and there, but like she's like the best friend.
Speaker 3: So it's very strange, very very strange.
Speaker 2: I couldn't I really could not believe it. I could not believe it. She's like, wait, wait what and I'm like, this is is this as weird as I think it is?
Speaker 1: She's like yes, it is as weird as you think it is. Yes, it is, it is.
Speaker 2: It's just yeah, well they're still trying to find their footing.
Speaker 1: Luckily for the kids, they just stumble on the Pyramids exhibit and guess that's where Harold has to be.
Speaker 2: What a beautiful coincidence and conclusion. So what do they do?
Speaker 1: Well, they're kids, they're normal, So yes, they break into the museum, and we now just have to accept that these three children are stone cold criminals, just breaking the law left and right now, in all fairness to the kids, what they what they do show later on is that obviously Harold broke through the door of the museum, Like you can see that he broke the doors off its hinges when the police go in there.
Speaker 2: So obviously they're just walking in after him.
Speaker 1: It's not like she pulls out a lock pick set from her nude go kill.
Speaker 2: Yourself still this night, we're still this key, or she's got a blow torch or something like that, right she I wouldn't be surprised that she'd Right before they broke in, She's like, give me a second, I just want to smoke a joint. Yeah, so it's gonna.
Speaker 3: Really entertaining, So I just want to make sure I'm on the right level.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, exactly. I know what's gonna happen. I'm just gonna drop some mask real quick.
Speaker 2: That sounds like it's perfectly online with the Amy character.
Speaker 1: Yes so, but yeah, they still just break in here, and once inside they find Harold exit.
Speaker 2: You know what I want to do. We've got to find this girl who's now a lawyer, a woman who's now a.
Speaker 1: Lawyer somewhere, and I will get to talk to her about this character.
Speaker 2: We have to find this I mean I will.
Speaker 1: I will pay her retainer myself to just have a one hour meeting with her, to have her come on to ask her what it's like as this character.
Speaker 2: Crazy.
Speaker 1: So, once inside they find Harold examining all the artifacts. He seems very affected by one Tombe in particular, marked as the Queen's. She was the lover of the High Priest, a man who was her bodyguard and confidant.
Speaker 2: Though it had to be a.
Speaker 1: Secret because of her status, he swore to be by her side in this life and the next. And now it's very obvious that Harold was that high Priest. Also, the kids talk about celibacy and how this Harold was celibate his whole life, and Gilbert says, or what is celibacy?
Speaker 2: And Amy again turns around and says, says no chicks And he says well, and she says, you'll get used to it, and.
Speaker 4: Like another moment that you think at the kids that watched the Disney Channel, we're not talking about the Disney movies, the Disney Channel. And then are pausing and going, mom, what celibacy?
Speaker 3: I don't get it. What is no chicks mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, honey, then turning to him and yes, turn off turf, turn it off.
Speaker 3: We're done. We're done, We're done.
Speaker 1: But again then when he says, oh, you know, I could never do that, and she turns to him and goes, you'll get used to it.
Speaker 2: Like it's like, oh my god, she's so mean.
Speaker 1: It's like, good luck, buddy, You're you're only you're only ten. But I can tell you right now, you're never gonna know the love of a woman. You're never gonna know the touch of a woman, Like, oh my god, it's so horrible.
Speaker 3: She's so grown. That means I don't know, I don't get it.
Speaker 2: Something's going I don't want to.
Speaker 1: It's such a Banana's character. Harold opens the tomb and the queen is inside. He caresses her emerald necklace and reveals he's wearing a matching one. He closes the casket in sadness, just as the police car pulls up outside. Still exploring the exhibit, Harold reads some nearby hieroglyphics and finds out that he'll need to be back in the coffin by midnight or he, too will die. Marshall promises will make that happen, just as the cop searches the museum, but luckily enough, he doesn't find the Sly kids and their mummy. And if you listen to the cop, like he's totally off camera, but you can essentially hear his walkie talkie and he's like, well, whoever did It's gone, and she's like, all right, you can come back.
Speaker 2: Like he's been there for thirty seconds.
Speaker 1: The doors off, the hinges, but they're like, he's like, well nobody here, all right, you're good, come on home.
Speaker 2: And that case, yeah, great police work. We're all good. Thank you, officer useless.
Speaker 1: The next day, Amy arrives at Marshall's house drinking a beer I'm kidding, but you might as well have been. And he looks exhausted, because can't you just see her just walking up day drinking.
Speaker 2: That sounds like Amy to me, just seriously, just for no reason, right, it's just perfectly on brand. She comes up, she's got, she's got, she's holding a six pack, there's only two left, and she's putting out her Cigarette's that's Amy, is seriously though she's serious. He's like, hey, is your mom your mom's liquor cabinet locked in any serious kind of way? That's Amy. Seriously, that's Amy, I'm telling you. Yikes. She looks, but he looks exhausted.
Speaker 1: Harold was up all night watching sappy rom coms, crying while watching Pretty Woman, Sleepless in Seattle and Ghost This is one very emotional monster.
Speaker 3: And very adult films.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, well now we're talking.
Speaker 3: About a pretty a prostitute. We're talking.
Speaker 2: A lot of a lot.
Speaker 1: Of a lot of Not to go off on a tangent, but have you watched Sleepless in Seattle recently?
Speaker 3: Not recently, but I have seen it a few times.
Speaker 1: Go back and watch Sleepless in Seattle because Meg Ryan's character is awful.
Speaker 2: In Sleepless in Seattle. She's supposed to be the cute, she's awful. She's got this man that loves her that she's about to marry, but she hears some random guy on the radio, then starts stalking the random guy on the radio to the point where she shows up in his house. All the while the guy's planning, like.
Speaker 3: Ready side the house, outside the house. Yeah it's true.
Speaker 1: Go back and watch Sleepless in Seattle, because again, Tom Hanks is wonderful.
Speaker 2: The kid is great, Meg Ryan's good. But the en you're like, you're just they ripped. You know, when he's talent talking about his wife, it rips your heart out. Anybody's been in love knows that feeling. It's just my god, I love this person so much. And then Stocky McGee shows up and it's like, you're marrying the nicest guy in the world, and this is.
Speaker 1: What you're It's seriously, it's it's bonkers. Go this is Amy grows up to be to be Meg Ryan's character in Sleepless in Seattle. I'm telling you so, yeah, just I know it has nothing to do with our podcast, but go check it out here. A poor Amy dude as Amy's got some demons.
Speaker 2: Amy's got some means. I'm telling you. It's something. Yeah, like she she's the person who baby sits but gets paid in poker chips. Like she's like that kind of thing. It's like, yeah, that kind thanks coming over left to a fifty poket chip. Oh, yes, something has happened. Oh you want a dimebag go to Amy.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, it's the.
Speaker 2: Most crazy Decom character we have seen to date. I'm telling you.
Speaker 1: They wrote a like a forty year old divorcee and just went, you'll just make her twelve.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh my god, it is crazy.
Speaker 3: Oh man.
Speaker 1: Amy wants Marshall to brace himself in case they can't save his friend, but Marshall protects himself by saying he's just a mummy, not a real friend. But the facade quickly breaks and he admits he does care about Harold. Then, even though they're supposed to be keeping a low profile, Gilbert and Harold comes storming out of the house, playing and yelling. Marshall reminds them they can't get caught, and then well, of course they get caught. Little Leonard, oh, the other kid they wrote as a twenty five year old man who just happened to be cast as a six year old one of the more unique child actors we've ever encountered. At the d com, he walks into the backyard and sees the mummy. He is astounded and asked if he's from that huge coffin they moved out of the Coubat's house. The kids stopped dead in their tracks. Wait, he saw coffin? Leonard says. There was something written on the side of the yellow moving truck, but Leonard can't read, but he does reveal whoever was driving the yellow truck wouldn't give him an ice cream, which I had to rewind four times to understand because I couldn't understand what you.
Speaker 2: Can on ice cream?
Speaker 1: Like what what might the actor? You will be shocked by the way to hear.
Speaker 2: This was his only acting credit ever.
Speaker 1: The kids, of course, deduced that the yellow truck had to be from the local Errands ice cream factory over in the orchards. They're going to take Harold out there to investigate, but they needed disguise, so they rushed to the vintage store and buy him a vintage nineteen seventies Elton John looking outfit all the way down to his platform shoes. The crew struts down the street to get down tonight of another familiar so they're buying real, real songs here, and the wardrobe is actually working. He even catches the attention of a stylish hot lady walking by, but when she gets closer look, she screams at what she sees.
Speaker 2: I guess you can't win them all. They can't win.
Speaker 1: It wouldn't matter anyway, because no chicks. The kids hop back on their bikes, with Harold getting a small girl's bike. They make their way to the orchard area. They scope out Aaron's ice cream factory from Afar, but don't see anything because they're using binoculars that they got in a happy meal, so Marshall decides he needs to get a closer look. Harold aggressively throws the boy over a wall, making Amy very mad. She starts earnestly punching the mummy and this is where I was offended. Lady, calm down. He's a monster who's been trying to help, So now Amy is progressed.
Speaker 2: To a ag assault.
Speaker 3: She's abusive.
Speaker 2: Abus We've got a Sultan battery breaking and entering.
Speaker 1: I mean you name it. This girl has got by the time she's eighteen, she's gonna have a record the size of my arm. It's like, come on, Amy, Amy needs to got a god size hole.
Speaker 2: Somebody needs to get to Amy because something's going on.
Speaker 1: And so now Marshall sneaks inside the ice cream factory again Break in the law. Kids are looking somewhere between twenty to fifty years in jail in my opinion, if they can get all their everything ducks in a row.
Speaker 2: There's multiple felonies.
Speaker 1: At this point, Marshall eventually spots the mob guys and overhears them talking about how the Mummy is missing, and this is when he figures out the mob boss is mister Kubot.
Speaker 2: What a twist? Did you realize that earlier? Did you know? Scubat? Yeah, they didn't hide anything.
Speaker 1: Just as that sinks in, Marshall gets a jump scare from Harold, who has joined him in the factory. The Mummy spots his coffin, but they decide to wait and figure out and escape plan first, so they regroup.
Speaker 2: With Amy and Gilbert. Harold once again powerfully tossing his friend over the wall, which it's very funny. But he's gonna kill this kid.
Speaker 1: Marshall tells his friends all about Cubat. He probably faked his own death to sell the coffin.
Speaker 2: And so now they have to find a car big enough to haul the sarcophagus, which is no easy task for a bunch of felony preteens. But they're wanted to nine states by this point, or is it. But Marshall has an idea. They're just going to need more costumes. The plan is to ask the spooky bookstore owner, Bruce, because of his hearse he is a hearse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course, of course, right right he does.
Speaker 2: Of course, who's ever hearse of that? I'll show myself out.
Speaker 1: Though the idea is good. Unfortunately for the kids, one of the goons spotted them on the way out of the factory because they were, you know, escaping under the cover of day, and they go and they tell Coubat. So obviously now they're on to our heroes. On the other side of town. The kids are now in costume and they arrive at the town Halloween carnival, which is a weird party.
Speaker 2: There's kids, there's an adult strange.
Speaker 1: There's adults hitting on each other, but there's kids running all over the place. Is it a meat market?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 2: What is this party?
Speaker 3: But the crazy thing is is, well, I'll let you continue to go.
Speaker 2: Okay, no farther.
Speaker 4: But there's another part of it where it's like this party is weird, really really weird.
Speaker 2: Like swingers weird? Yes, yeah, okay, so he at least Amy isn't involved in this one. So they arrive at the weird Halloween haunted house. Gilbert is dressed as a half Dennis Rodman and Amy is a half Princess Leah. The crew splits up.
Speaker 1: Marshall and Amy will go inside to find Bruce, while Gilbert and Harold wait outside.
Speaker 2: But since Harold is still scaring civilians, they cover his mouth.
Speaker 1: With the extra bandage to lessen the shock. Marshall and Amy stopped by the carnival dance first when they see Marshall's mom happily dancing with her boyfriend Ted. So his mom is at the party, but he wasn't going to the party. His mom was going to the local town Halloween party, but she wasn't going to bring her child who was super in the Halloween and spot and monsters and right.
Speaker 3: But it's a swingers party, so right for him to be there.
Speaker 2: There's kids there, it's so weird. It's a we just a weird party. It's a weird, weird party.
Speaker 3: Uncomfortable, Yes, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there okay.
Speaker 1: Amy admits that his mom and the new boyfriend actually look in love, and Marshall pretends it doesn't bother him, but again it obviously does. Amy then has a good friend offers her help or just an ear if he never needs to talk to her, and he thanks her and she.
Speaker 2: Lights another joint. Outside.
Speaker 1: Gilbert and Harold are bored, so Gilbert decides to go get some SODA's, which sure feels like a very bad idea, and back inside, Marshall finds Bruce and reveals they found a mummy, but Bruce assumes they're just talking about a Halloween costume and is an impressed. Marshall assures him it's a real mummy and takes him to see, and just at that moment, Harold hears oh Bamas again by Eric Carmon, who every time I see it sounds like Eric Cartman. Yeah, lasting from inside the carnival, he must get closer to hear it. It was a terrible cartman, by the way, He leaves his post and walks right into the event, just as the goons pull up to get him. When Gilbert does return with the soda, he can't find Harold, but instead sees Hench in Aaron's ice cream jackets.
Speaker 2: He knows this is the problem and hurries to warn Marshall.
Speaker 1: Harold navigates his way through the dance floor, eventually landing near the speakers and dancing by himself, that is, until he spots a woman dresses Cleopatra. He begins worshiping her or falling to his knees, but she thinks it's just some guy flirting with her. She's also turned on by his stink and wants to dance with him. Nearby, Gilbert thinks he's found Harold, but it's actually just a mummy costume. Also, he earnestly punches the guy who he thinks as Harold's Everyone just beaten up Harold. Maybe these kids don't deserve to have a monster after all. Anyway, that wasn't Harold, It was his principle, which adds a new wrinkle which we never ever hear about again.
Speaker 2: Just never happens again.
Speaker 1: The goons check on every mummy at the party, while Marshall and Amy explain the whole story to Bruce, but he still doesn't believe them. Cleopatra is now all horned up by Harold on the dance floor. When Gilbert finds them, He then pulls the mummy away, explaining that this man is celibate, but Cleopatra doesn't believe that. But when phil guy in the mummy costume, and his wife get all tangled up in this wife swap thing, Cleopatra's unraveling Harold to find out what's going on, and when she uncovers his face, the entire party runs off screaming. The goon's noticed the commotion and run to go get him, but Bruce finally believes the kids. They all sprint through the haunted house, dodging corpses and decorations, eventually getting outside to the hearse What did you think of the whole adult swinging aspect of the Halloween party?
Speaker 4: I mean, first of all, yes, the principal is when she said, well, if that's your husband, so was the principal who she thought was returning from the bathroom, who had been flirting with her earlier. It got very messy, and the fact that she was like well then if that's not if that's your husband, who.
Speaker 3: Is this right?
Speaker 2: Adultrey is always messy, Sabrina.
Speaker 3: Ah my god, it was just like, ah, it's so weird. It was so strange.
Speaker 4: And again kids are there, but like again there's really no supervision, Like these people are going and it was weird to me, like if it was a name, if we're in this again, go back to the parenting and we're supposed to be in this small town.
Speaker 3: How do they not know each other? How are they at this party? Whose party is this?
Speaker 4: That there's so many people that you're running into people you really honestly don't know.
Speaker 2: Weird. Yeah, and it's like a kid it's a swinger's party, but there's kids there the whole thing.
Speaker 1: There's a there's a haunted mansion, but also probably an orgy room. Like, what the hell is what is this? What is this party?
Speaker 2: I can't I can't hate it.
Speaker 3: I was so glad for the party to be done. So uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was really really weird, just really oh yeah.
Speaker 3: And then again, and I always have an issue. I always bring this up.
Speaker 4: We just talked about it at the high school party that happened with the last movie was like, these strange.
Speaker 3: Men come in.
Speaker 4: They're not in uniform or dressed. I mean they're not in costume, and not one person is like.
Speaker 2: Hey, who are you now? Who are you?
Speaker 3: Why are you at this party?
Speaker 2: Who don't need to know that? Don't need to know that. They're just go yep and pull off people's and nobody says anything, and they're pushing people.
Speaker 1: It's very strange. Amy would have taken care of it, but she's way too stoned.
Speaker 2: Harold pushes the door closed, locking the henchman inside, but he can't hold them back forever, and it's almost midnight, but Harold knows if he joins him in the car, the goons will get the kids, so he sacrifices himself and stays behind Bruce and the kids speed off to safety, Marshall screaming all the while for his friend as they leave. And once they're gone, the goons do break through the barrier and knocking Harold to the floor, giving him a chance to grab him. And this is where I was like, Okay, so if the whole point of the goons is that they're gonna grab the Mummy to bring him back to his sarcophagus, to put him in the sarcophagus to then sell it.
Speaker 1: That's what we want to have happen. That's the goal is we want to get him back to his sarcophagus.
Speaker 2: Later.
Speaker 1: They kind of redeem it by having him say, no, I'm going to sell. You're more valuable on your own. Yes, oh, I get that.
Speaker 2: But it was like I sat to the whole time going like but I thought, this is.
Speaker 4: What they want to have happened, right, But the fact is that with the rules that we know, which the rules were very easy to fight out. So if this guy owned this sarcophagus and this mummy, he would have known that if he's not in the sarcophagus by a certain amount of time, then he would like to disintegrate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess he didn't know the rules because.
Speaker 4: He did not know the rules when he was supposed to be this like curator.
Speaker 3: Of like a big museum. How do you not know the rules?
Speaker 5: Cubat?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's up, Cobrot, what's up? Kubat? I don't get it. Yeah, very strange. But we're now in the hearse.
Speaker 1: Bruce wants to go to the cops, but Amy explains how crazy they'll sound. Instead, they go to the ice cream factory, assuming that's what they'll take Harold, and when they arrived, Bruce opens his trunk to reveal a ton of fake severed limbs, bones and skulls, all ready to use.
Speaker 2: But even with this, Gilbert wants to stay in the car. He's too scared.
Speaker 1: Marshall tells him not to worry and lets him chicken out, And so the plan has begun, if you want to call it a plan. Amy runs to the coon crying for help. She's applied to fake eye and blood to her face, and when the criminal tries to help, he's attacked by Marshall and Bruce, ending with a big frog splash.
Speaker 2: By the bookstore owner. He just boh splams the guy.
Speaker 1: They tie up the bad guy with fake intestines while Amy and Bruce try to run interference. Marsha will run around back to try and save Harold stick with us people inside.
Speaker 2: When the shady.
Speaker 1: Buyer arrives for the coffin, Kubat takes control, knowing he doesn't have the mummy. Marshall quickly finds Harold chained to a pipe after scratching his face for him because he had an itch. He finds a crowbar to free him, and at the same time, Bruce and Amy's plan to cause a diversion isn't going so well. Bruce has climbed to some scaffolding and is now dangling from a pipe. It breaks, eventually tossing him to the ground in a free fall, making a huge commotion. They quickly are snatched up by the goons, but it makes for the perfect distraction. As Marshall frees Harold, they quickly start pushing the coffin towards.
Speaker 2: The hearse, but then Kubat reveals himself from the shadows. He knows there's money in the mummy and he's not letting them leave.
Speaker 1: He explains that over the years, he's accumulated the collection of artifacts from the museum he worked at, and his plan was to sell them off and retire, but the Irs started to investigate him, and so he knew he had to fake his own death. Seems like quite a jump, and as Kubat continues to detail his motive, Harold is falling apart. It's getting closer and closer to midnight, and now he captured. Amy and Bruce have been brought to Cubat, who instructs the guys to get rid of them.
Speaker 2: He's going to kill the children.
Speaker 3: The children, He's going to kill the children.
Speaker 2: Then, when things look they're most bleak, crash the Hurst slams through the warehouse like a gothic kool aid man. Oh yeah, that's my gothic kol aid you get it. Oh yeah, that was a good joke.
Speaker 1: If anybody out there gets that, it's Gilbert. He's saved the day because the crash makes the ceiling come right down in the bad guys, and it looks like they're all killed. It is an incredible smash of all the stuff from the ceiling, but somehow Kubat has survived. He emerges with a gun, instructing the kids to just leave the mummy behind, and as he prepares to shoot Marshall, Harold attacks. He grabs Coubat and throws them across the room. The kids hug their mummy and celebrate, and Amy admits that she was scared something was going to happen to Marshall.
Speaker 2: She doesn't know what she would do if it did. It appears this crush is developing.
Speaker 1: Oh but before that, Harold needs to get into the tomb and get back to the museum.
Speaker 2: Also, did Cubat die? Is he dead? That guy dead?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 4: I mean it it was aggressive, but like I'm assuming it was just like knocking him out, but like, never do we see what.
Speaker 3: Happens to him after.
Speaker 2: It's never tied up. No, no, it's okay. Uh yeah there the sequel, Yeah exactly. They're really a bit too confident, considering he was just thrown once and already survived a ceiling crash. So okay, he's it is what it is.
Speaker 1: The kids throw everything into one of the ice cream trucks and speed to the museum. Once in the exhibit, Harold opens the queen's casket, and with his last breaths, he removes his necklace and ignites the medallion on the queen's neck. She opens her eyes and emerges from the sarcophagus. They embrace, but Harold knows he must hurry back to his coffin. They touch hands one last time, and Marshall amy Gilbert. They all have teary goodbyes with their newfound friend. With both mummies in place, Harold hands Marshall's necklace to keep. In the end, these two built quite a beautiful relationship, even though a bunch of kids.
Speaker 2: Punched him, you know, over and over and over again.
Speaker 1: Both the Queen and Harold lay down as Marshall closes the coffin doors. The next morning, Marshall has decided to throw away all his spooky Halloween stuff. He tells his mom he's outgrown it. His mom gets serious and wants to know if he's okay about ted. He again pretends that everything's okay, but quickly changes his tune. He asks her do you love him? She admits she does, and so Marshall suggests that they get married. She can't let him get in the way of true love. He looks at Harold's necklace and admits a new friend has changed his perspective. And then Gilbert arrives. Turns out Amy is coming to the house to go see a movie, and Marshall becomes very nervous about what he's wearing and how his hair looks. And when she does finally arrive, she's also decked out. But they cut through the tension by insulting each other, just like old times, call each other geeks and losers, and of course Gilbert is relieved. For a minute he thought things were going to change. We fade out as they make their way to see Warthead one more time.
Speaker 2: And that's our movie.
Speaker 1: Yikes, let's do real reviews then we'll talk. I have the one star review this week, and this is a one star review from Truegara.
Speaker 2: I hope I'm saying that right here we go. Parents beware.
Speaker 1: I figured, quote, oh my god, this looks dumb and boring unquote, but I was literally.
Speaker 2: Shocked this was aimed at kids.
Speaker 1: This movie has so much gore in it, like the opening where a monster barges into a kitchen and murders a man by pushing his head on the blade of a knife with enough pressure to kill him in front of his wife's son and daughter. Have your kids watch this and they'll come running to you at night saying they had nightmares.
Speaker 2: By the way, I'm not a Karen. I'm telling the truth.
Speaker 1: If your kids can handle that content, feel free to let them watch this.
Speaker 2: Wow. That is a long, long one star Karen. Thank you very much. Yeah, Sabrina, you got the five star.
Speaker 3: What do you do?
Speaker 4: I've got it a five star from Joel h I thought I hate it under wraps, but as it turns out, I was thinking of a completely different D com My mistake under wraps?
Speaker 3: Isn't that bad?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: Five star?
Speaker 2: Five stars?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: And uh now we're going to get to our Sabrina's favorite portion, of course of the program, and that is our weekly feature to celebrate our start of spooky season and the closest we'll get to a true horror d com.
Speaker 2: We're celebrating some of the scariest movies ever made.
Speaker 1: We'll be given the name and year of a horror movie, and we must guess what number one through ten it was given on the list of top ten scariest horror movies of all time according to our friends at Rotten Tomatoes.
Speaker 2: If we can nail three out of five, we win. Oh that's gonna be really tough. Okay.
Speaker 1: So first up, by the way, is producer Jensen here. I heard he might not be not okay? So who's with us today? Is the producer Lisa?
Speaker 3: Who do we have Mikaela?
Speaker 2: We got Michaela. Mikaela with us, all right, So producer Michaela, here we go. First up? What number one through ten one being scariest is The Exorcist nineteen seventy three.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, I mean I would think it was like nine at least.
Speaker 1: Oh waiting, so that means not scary because one is the scariest.
Speaker 3: Oh no, then I would say like at least two.
Speaker 1: I see, I'm gonna agree with you. I was going to say one or two. I'm gonna say two with you.
Speaker 3: Let's do two.
Speaker 7: It's number one.
Speaker 2: It is one, Okay, I can see that.
Speaker 1: I can totally see that. Yeah, okay. Second Halloween nineteen seventy eight. Oh two, I'm gonna say four.
Speaker 3: That's four.
Speaker 2: I've never seen these movies.
Speaker 3: You've never seen Halloween.
Speaker 2: I have not, of course not. I don't like movies this, Okay.
Speaker 3: I would say it would be two.
Speaker 7: Number seven?
Speaker 3: Oh wow, okay, Oh my gosh. No.
Speaker 1: You know my problem with these movies is I have a photographic memory, so I can't unsee things. So when I see something gory or disgusting, when I shut my eyes, I can't not see it.
Speaker 2: So I can't watch this stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's part of the fun, but it's also like.
Speaker 2: Not yeah, no, I can't do it. Third, the shinin. I'm kidding. It's the shining. That's for all my Simpsons fans out there, it's the Shinin. Do you want to be sued? Yeah? So the Shining, What.
Speaker 3: Do you think I'm gonna go with number three?
Speaker 1: Shining was a freaky movie. I'm gonna I'm gonna try number four again.
Speaker 7: You're right, Well it's number four.
Speaker 2: Oh I got one right? Okay? And now fourth, The Conjuring twenty thirteen.
Speaker 3: I don't even know anything.
Speaker 2: This is a freaky movie, though, isn't it.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I've never seen it, never even heard of this one.
Speaker 7: Yes, it's what the Annabel doll.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I'm going to say this is number five?
Speaker 7: Five? Yeah, five, number three.
Speaker 2: It is number three.
Speaker 1: And finally, so we can't win, we've already lost, thank you, producer Jensen.
Speaker 2: Finally, The Ring number two, I'm going to say this is number two movie.
Speaker 4: Talk about a visual number six, it's number six.
Speaker 3: Way do you have?
Speaker 2: Do you have the whole list in front of you?
Speaker 5: I do?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So can you read them? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Exorsist was number one?
Speaker 2: One is Exorcist?
Speaker 7: Yes, number Hereditary?
Speaker 5: Okay, number three, Conjuring number four, The Shining, number five, Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, yeah, holy Cow?
Speaker 5: Number six, The Ring, Halloween number seven, number eight, sinister, number nine insidious and number ten.
Speaker 2: It wait a second, wait a second?
Speaker 3: At all?
Speaker 2: Get that?
Speaker 1: How is the first Night Marion elm Street not on that list? How is the first time we see it? Freddy Krueger not in the top ten?
Speaker 3: Is it Freddy Krueger? Halloween?
Speaker 2: And Michael Halloween? Is Michael Myers? Halloween? Is Michael?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: How that first Night Marrin elm Street, which I have seen part of, and how that is not in the top ten is crazy to me?
Speaker 4: The Saw movie, the franchise of Saw did make it in the top ten at all?
Speaker 3: Yes, not list insane.
Speaker 2: I don't believe this list. I believe producer Jensen is wrong. And thank you MICHAELA.
Speaker 7: This is also from Rotten Tomatoes.
Speaker 2: So I don't buy that. I don't buy all those tomato people. I don't buy it. Can we do some Sabrina seas?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 4: To be honest, I really didn't have a ton of scene happening movie. That's no problem, especially that we haven't haven't covered I again, cal idiot. The wordings that were the insults that were being said by these children really were just like whoa. We just never ever get that into movies. And I'm grateful for it because it just caused for a very not great feeling. As I was watching these, I put on divorce. Okay, I had a question for you. Did you realize? And we talked a little bit about it. I mean we said it in the script, but like you, did we realize that Marshall was going to be the main character. I thought Gilbert was going to be the main character. I did too, And then all of a sudden I was like, oh, okay, I guess we're following Marshall a little bit closer than than Gilbert.
Speaker 2: I did too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was strange to me, just the way that the beginning of the movie is set up. And then one other thing, the little bit of a supress. Did you see the name of the dog that was on his doghouse?
Speaker 2: Oh? Wait, what was it? I did? What was it again? Fang?
Speaker 4: Right? Yeah, sang such a weird especially for a little dog like that to be called Fang. And then it kind of made sense because he had such a tight grip on the he's hand, but it was funny just to Fang and it's like so big and so like, this dog's name is Fang, Like, yeah, I love that. My next question was, now Leonard can't read. What's wrong with Leonard? Why can't he read when he's clearly like six or seven.
Speaker 1: Because Leonard's got a whole another set of problems going out with Leonard Leonard Leonard, Leonard's got a tough life ahead him.
Speaker 4: He can't read, but he can be unsupervised in front of the house.
Speaker 3: Probably.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Leonard was like one of those street kids from the fifties, like I'm gonna punch in the musk. She like one of those kids who like, all of a sudden.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then we go.
Speaker 4: We went through the whole the weird party. I had so many I means like I just am.
Speaker 2: Like Sabrina doesn't want to see that part again.
Speaker 4: I'm like, just like make it stop basically, and then again. So Kubot's dead or not, I'm not sure. That was definitely not a thing that he could be dead, but they seem like as if he is, he doesn't get arrested. He there is zero It is an open door for a sequel in the sense of like what happened to mister kubab Yeah, Yeah, that's it, that's all I got.
Speaker 2: Those are good. Those are good now we come to the portion of the program that I've been dreading this entire time, which is rating our film. Let's do one out of ten.
Speaker 1: I'm not even make a joke about it. Let's do one out of ten. Uh, it's either going to be one out of ten. Mild scares and spooky atmospheres one at a ten, cow sisters, long mummy peas, redheaded todd cameos, one out of ten, uncles that look like monsters, one out of ten, coushballs one out of ten, stylish hot ladies at ten, child criminals, one out of ten, gothic kool aid man's or I'm gonna add one out of ten forty five year old divorcee characters played by eleven year old girls. I know it's long and worded, but it's got to be in there somewhere. One year old divorce a characters played by eleven year old girls.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's a lot.
Speaker 4: That's aboutful, but we gotta go okay because the Amy character was bonkers.
Speaker 3: It's bucks.
Speaker 2: I don't know what do we rate you. I think you rate first this week.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna here's the thing. As a regular movie. If this was on even Nickelodeon. It would have been so much more branded correctly than the Disney Channel movies in that saying like, I didn't actually hate the movie. I hated it for a d coom. That's what I just could not get over the fact that this was a DCOM, not just the DCOM, the first d COM like which should be in its own like Little Pedestal.
Speaker 3: And I hated it for that. But he didn't actually hate the movie.
Speaker 4: It actually was kind of funny, and the kids were like just so rambunctious, and it was so odd that I didn't.
Speaker 3: Hate it, which is weird.
Speaker 4: But even though I'm I have to rate it as a d COM.
Speaker 3: And I'm giving it a five, I'm giving it a five. Forty five year old divorce characters played by an eleven year old. It's a solid five for me.
Speaker 4: It's not going up, but again, I didn't hate it that much to let it go down, but it is a five for me.
Speaker 1: Okay, I could not agree with you more. This is you said exactly what I was going to say. If this was like this, I might be dating myself here. You might not know this movie. But if this was like The Monster Squad or one of the movies where it starred kids, but was it wasn't a Disney movie. It was just a kid's kind of movie but was in the theaters that kind of thing. Then not a bad movie, not a bad movie at all, if that's what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: The dialogue's witty and funny. She's a that crazy character. It's I mean, it's it's amazing.
Speaker 4: It's suited in the nineties for that kind of character too, Like, yeah, truly, seriously.
Speaker 1: I mean if this was just, hey, we're reviewing a movie and this is a weird movie that came out, this would be a seven or eight for me easily, because it's not a bad movie.
Speaker 2: The kids are pretty good.
Speaker 1: Again, the dialogue is weird, it's but as a d com, what the hell it's and the for you're right, the first dcom this is supposed to be.
Speaker 2: The one where it's like, oh, this is this is Genesis?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it just it was more like the band Genesis because it was like, what is going on? By the way, all my Genesis fans out of there.
Speaker 2: Some of their albums were okay.
Speaker 1: But much like a Genesis album, this could be ander So I didn't understand a lot of this being a dcom.
Speaker 3: S Yeah, okay, go ahead.
Speaker 2: No, I'm gonna say, I'm right with you. I'm I'm gonna give it exactly that you did.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna give it a five forty five year old divorce a characters being played by eleven year old actors because again, as a movie, not bad as a dcom not and.
Speaker 4: And and to be fair too, I was not expecting this very first d com right that this is unknown land, right.
Speaker 3: I wasn't expecting it to be.
Speaker 4: Right on the mark, right on where we found ourselves eventually a couple of years later of what what the channel found.
Speaker 3: Literally, I wasn't expecting it to be right on the mark.
Speaker 4: I was expecting it to be a little okay, we're finding ourselves some growing page.
Speaker 3: But not this.
Speaker 2: This I was not expecting.
Speaker 1: I thought, frankly, it was going to go the opposite direction as a d com and be way too sappy, overly childish, not childlike, but childish, and you know, overly sappy, very.
Speaker 2: Big, very big. Yeah, the music and the eight actors weren't going to be that good and and.
Speaker 9: Man it was not that, but it wasn't a funny watch and to be honest, doing the recap with you has even made it better for.
Speaker 2: Watch it, go and watch it. It is. It is, it's crazy, it is banana strings.
Speaker 4: Especially if you like d COM's it's just you're just going to be blown away.
Speaker 3: You gotta watch it because.
Speaker 1: It's just the second the eleven year old girl turns and goes, I sleep in the nude.
Speaker 2: I was like, I'm out, and there we go. Thank you ladies and gentlemen, I'll be one.
Speaker 4: And then and then just t minutes later, we find ourselves and a swingers party.
Speaker 3: Who's who was the president channel? Like, who was the president of the channel at this time?
Speaker 1: Because I've got well, Garrett, it was, yeah, we gotta we gotta find out.
Speaker 2: About this one.
Speaker 1: We've got to deep dive this one because crazy. But well, thank you everybody so much for joining us. Our next movie that we're going to be doing is very much on brand. So we are back on the tracks people.
Speaker 2: Our next movie is keeping us terrified with Halloween around the corner. We'll be watching a sequel. That's right, it's Twitches too.
Speaker 1: It's too as in Twitches also the second movie starring Tia and Tamara Mooriy from two thousand and seven is available now to watch via Disney Plus. We are back on the Plus people, so watch it before our episode and you'll be way ahead of the game. But before we take off the bandages entirely, we're gonna stay in this universe, this.
Speaker 2: Crazy, crazy bananas universe for under Wraps.
Speaker 1: Because we spoke with Adam Wiley. I've known him for many, many years. He played Young Gilbert, and he gave us the low down on what the legacy of under Wraps is all about.
Speaker 2: Listen here for a sneak bee.
Speaker 1: Bill FAGERBACKI was actually like there was times he was close to passing out on set.
Speaker 3: Is this true?
Speaker 6: A thousand percent? He had fans all over him. He had to sit because he couldn't get out. Once he was out, it was like even just to use the restroom was a nightmare. So he would just sit there like this. And back then we didn't have this technology, so it's noting it could be like we're just gonna green screen out his mouth or whatever you do. They had to take this carcole kind of like makeup and like spread it all over. He had to wash his mouth with it so that everything was black.
Speaker 2: Love that guy.
Speaker 3: I'm so excited we got to meet him.
Speaker 4: He is talk about nostalgia of the nineties so amazing.
Speaker 2: By the way, because this movie was so crazy pants, we did not talk nearly enough about how good he was in this movie, because he was great in this movie. He was great in this movie by far, the best of the three of them, I thought.
Speaker 1: And then Amy with the character she was playing the old like I gotta I've got a shift.
Speaker 3: In the character was kind of he was fine, fine, the.
Speaker 1: Other too, But but Adam was was absolutely great, great in this movie. He really and we did not talk about that enough because we were so distracted by all the other lights and sounds going on in the movie.
Speaker 2: Yes, but we love him.
Speaker 1: So you can hear everything he has to say about under Wraps and so much more. Search for Magical Rewind wherever you get your podcast and subscribe to our dedicated feed and for more info. You can always follow us a Magical Rewind.
Speaker 2: Pod on the Instagram Machine. Bye everybody, Bye, By sleep in the Nudes