Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 1: Cowboys.
Speaker 2: This he's Talking Cowboys Straining live from the Dallas Cowboys World Course at.
Speaker 1: The Star in Frisco.
Speaker 2: Streaks six seconds, dot Tick twenty Texdown.
Speaker 3: And now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Nick Harris, John Mashoda, and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 2: It's a legal tampering period edition of Talking Cowboys presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, live from the Star in Frisco, Texas and the SWBC Studios.
Speaker 1: Welcome in, everybody.
Speaker 2: It is a Tuesday in the off season, March twelfth, as we are squarely in the middle of free agency, and if you had any questions on what that means, just open the X app.
Speaker 1: Just open up Twitter, see what's going on.
Speaker 4: Don't call it X Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, I even like saying that just made me like cringe a little bit at myself. We've got the whole crew back just in time to break down the action and it action.
Speaker 1: Around the NFL when it comes to free agency.
Speaker 2: We've got Isaiah stand Back, Jommachoda, Nick Harris, I'm Kyle Yeomans with Chris Beam running everything making sure we're on the air in the back all right, Nick.
Speaker 1: We usually start to start this off with news and notes.
Speaker 5: Yes, so we can go ahead and dive into some of the actions that happened around the building yesterday.
Speaker 4: There we go, No, but we can start with the guys who are.
Speaker 5: Tony Pollard signed a deal or agreed to a deal with the Titans yesterday, Dorn's Armstrong with the commanders, and Tyler Byattish with the commanders as well. All these guys can only agree to deals. They cannot sign until tomorrow when the official New Year begins, I believe around three pm yep Central time, Yeah, three pm Central time tomorrow. So you know, things are not finalized, but they may as well be. With those three guys, I want to I want to go through those three guys really quick. Really cool to see Tony Pollard go back to his home state, have an opportunity to play at a backfield with Tai J.
Speaker 1: Spears.
Speaker 4: I feel like that's going to be a really fun backfield.
Speaker 5: They get, they get good protection up front, they draft a tackle in front of those guys with Scaronsky. I think that's going to be a really a really fun a running back duo there in Nashville.
Speaker 4: Then you look at.
Speaker 5: Dorn's Armstrong getting fifteen million a year. It's one of the commanders. A big payday for him, obviously deserved.
Speaker 6: I think that's the max though he has to really I think it's eleven and then it's up. It's as much as fit as much as.
Speaker 4: Fifteen, gotcha.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So regardless, really big payday there for Dorance. I think it's deserved. I mean, he was showing that on defense and on special teams over the course of the last two seasons, and then Beattish getting three years thirty million. I was surprised to see him come off the board on day one, just given the Center market. But I'm not surprised with the final conclusion being Washington. But I did find it pretty interesting that he was gone off the board so early. But you know, it is what it is. I think of those three, you know, based on Twitter reactions beyond, it is probably the one that fans are least disappointed about, which I you know, you're talking about the running game all off season. You have to make a change up front, you have to make a change at the running back position. You would think those two things happened very early yesterday. So whether you like it or not, the running game is going to get fixed, well, not fixed, changed, It'll be different. It'll be different, it'll be changed. We'll see if it gets fixed or not fixed as time goes on. But guys that are still on the board, Tyron Smith, Stefon Gilmore, I feel like I'm blinking on a couple of big names, right Jonathan Hankins. We'll see what the Cowboys could do and get involved with thirty one teams made moves yesterday.
Speaker 4: One team did not. And we are standing in that building.
Speaker 5: Today and uh ah, we got a signing. We gotta sign it, and we get breaking news already. Trent Sick is coming back to the Cowboys.
Speaker 7: They made a move.
Speaker 4: They made a move. They made a make move.
Speaker 5: Guys, Hey, that deep snapper helps an All Pro kicker and a Pro Bowl punter. That is that is a that's a good quality signing right there.
Speaker 6: Guys, you're too young to say deep snapper, and I think a long snapper I always, I just I mean, obviously it's not one hundred percent, but nine percent of the time you can tell somebody's age by how they call that position.
Speaker 2: Really deep snapper deep Is that an old yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, well I.
Speaker 1: Would long snap.
Speaker 4: I'm an old soul.
Speaker 6: John you are I know you are all right?
Speaker 2: So that is I mean, Trent say coming back, great, you got something taken care of.
Speaker 1: That's checking a box. When when it comes to sorry Trent, when it comes to the.
Speaker 2: Three guys that have left Isaiah Dorance, Tyler Battish, Tony Pollard, none of those three should surprise.
Speaker 1: You that they are no longer with the Cowboys.
Speaker 7: We've talked about it.
Speaker 1: Those are guys that.
Speaker 2: Either, like you said, in the middle of a change at the running game position whenever you've got running back in center, and how they've run the ball this.
Speaker 1: Past couple of years, and are the value just wasn't necessarily there for Dorian's Armstrong. So which one do you think stands out the most?
Speaker 7: I would have to.
Speaker 3: I honestly think they're both relatively important, and I don't think that it was by chance as to where they went. I honestly believe that dan Quinn not only was trying to obviously improve his team by having these acquisitions, those were not obviously his only moves yesterday. They were very busy yesterday simply acquiring anybody. I'm surprised they didn't sign you, Jam, but.
Speaker 7: I think he was very This is just my objective opinion.
Speaker 1: It's only day one.
Speaker 3: It's only day one. They signed like twelve dudes. I believe that was very strategic. Yeah, from Dan Quinn.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 3: I think it was strategic from the standpoint that he recognizes that the Dallas Cowboys are now arrival to him. I believe that he understands that they are in his division, that they have to face them two times, And I think that he knew what he was doing in terms of making it challenging for this front office this offseason to feel even more voids in what they had already existing. The probability of Tyler Beati's coming back obviously was kind of up in the air. I don't think anybody was necessarily dead set on having to replace the center. I know that I've been in the camp in terms of wanting to get bigger and stronger at that position, but it wasn't a sure thing that he was leaving. You had one offensive line position that you had to feel going into this week. Now he knows that there's two very important offensive line positions that you have to feel by him grabbing Tyler Biadis, you no longer have somebody who runs things up front offensively. Now you have leaders up front in Zach Martin. You have leaders up front. Obviously you got Terrence Steele. Still you still have Tyler Smith, but you now have a giant void in the middle of your offensive line that we already talked about previously that you don't There's not a huge veteran market out there for sinners, so now most likely you're gonna have to feel that void. The commander of your office a line with the rookie. Most likely you're going to have a rookie playing your second most important position, obviously your most important position at left tackle. So your two most important positions on your offensive line now have voids, and that your NFC rival over at Washington commanders with Dan Quinn made that happen. Whether they could have got somebody else, sure he could have, but he said, you know, I'm going to get Tyler be Odist. What else did you do? He grabbed Doris Armstrong, possibly next to Micah in my opinions, one of your most valuable players on.
Speaker 7: The defensive front.
Speaker 1: He's not done yet.
Speaker 4: By the way, he's gonna get two or three more.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I believe that he will. I believe that he will. But he knew what he was doing.
Speaker 3: By Jones on Trump, Sure, not only am I getting a good player, a productive player who's had what seven and a half eight and a half sacks over the last two years.
Speaker 1: Twenty one sacks of the last three campaigns.
Speaker 3: There you go, right, but I'm getting probably your most I'm gonna go ahead and say he's your best special teamer.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna say he's your best special teamer. Okay, So you got.
Speaker 3: Your your your your most versatile and dominant single dominant special teamer in my opinion, and one of your best defensive.
Speaker 7: Linemen off your roster.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 7: So now that's not only one void on the officer front.
Speaker 3: You're you're taking his center, You're taking the Dallas Cowboy Center, which is huge, leaves a huge void, but you're also leaving a huge void in special teams and defense.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 6: So on the Durrance thing, I think that just speaks to Sam Williams has to step up, that that's who they're looking at that has to take over those reps. Also with Dorance. He's going to go from being a rotational guy to when you pay him that kind of money, you're going to be featured at. Yeah, you have to be producing, no question. It's funny because leaving it Indianapolis. My biggest takeaway since I wasn't on the show last week was that Jerry Jerry shouldn't have set all in and he doesn't care because he loves that everybody's talking about it, so he doesn't. It doesn't bother him. Most people, I think, would have not said that, would have said, hey, we were close. I know understanding everyone's frustrated, but we think we're on the right path. And while people would be frustrated because the way the season ended, they wouldn't be as mad as they are today because when you say all in and then you obviously are asked four or five different ways about it when we were on the bus in Indy and you're not really shying away from it, it just puts fuel to the fire. Because while I understand where Cowboys fans are coming from, there's no way they lost yesterday. That like surprised me, especially after you see the numbers. You know it's what I mean. I didn't see any of those guys coming back for those numbers. I get what you're saying that they are gonna their center next year is gonna be a rookie, It's gonna be somebody that they draft.
Speaker 1: Or it's gonna be a second or third year player TJ. Bass or for sure.
Speaker 6: But I would think that it's probably somebody you get in maybe the third round, second or third round, yep, or first if the right guy falls. But so that's my whole takeaway from day one, and it is glaring when you are the only team out of thirty two that doesn't make a move to resign one of your players, or will agree to resign one of your players or add somebody from another team. Everybody knows first day of free agency generally that's the player's day. That's when you're gonna get your best deals. So but I totally get where fans are coming from. If I was a Cowboys fan, I would be frustrated today too. But leaving Indy Man that none of this is a surprise because it's nothing is changing. Like they are draft and develop, they want to resign Dak, Micah and CD and they don't want to do anything that jeopardizes that, and so because of that, that's why you're seeing what you're seeing yesterday and probably today.
Speaker 5: I think the quicker that fans can get the all in statement out of their head, the happier.
Speaker 4: They'll be in the long run.
Speaker 2: The best way I thought of it yesterday was and we've kind of sent out the warning flares in the weeks prior, and we talked about it last week after Jerry was on the bus and kind of going into it. But it was a difference in perspective, not necessarily a change of philosophy for the all in statement. The perspective from the outside looking in is that this Cowboys front office has not been all in the last couple of years. But the perspective from the front office is that they have been. They've been building this roster to the point where they believed it was good enough to make a run to get it done, and it.
Speaker 1: Certainly wasn't in the end.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's part of the frustration with the way that Green Bay happened and the way that the wild card exit happened is the fact that they thought this roster was good enough, but it didn't get it and.
Speaker 6: It was a good roster.
Speaker 7: It was a good roster.
Speaker 6: It's the best out of my thirteen years covering the Cowboys. So now they put together some bad roster and live to us like, wait, no, this is great. No it you know, to piggyback on three consecutive years of twelve wins. Yes, it's obviously good roster. I hate when people try it. You're frustrated and so you say stupid things like trying to all it was overrated.
Speaker 7: No it wasn't.
Speaker 6: That was a really good roster. That's why it was so disappointing what happened against Green Bay. But with that being said, what really hurts them is what you saw happen with the teams over the last four years from the NFC that have been all in and it was the unequivocal all in and they all got to the Super.
Speaker 1: Bowl Rams Eagles.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 6: But if things ended because this past season is a good example, because if things ended differently for some of those teams, I think people would look differently at the whole all in because you'd be able to point to be like, yeah, that's don't do that, that's bad, like you know the Michael Vick or it wasn't even the Michael Bay. What was the year when the Eagles went real aggressive. I want to say the guy like non Diasinwall it was like in the like twenty twelve, somewhere in there, and it was a disaster. Vince Young I want to say, they got they spent a lot of money and it didn't do anything. But because you've seen these teams do that it's had success, then you point to them and you're just like, oh, well, that's obviously the way to do it. This is the Dalla's Cowboys. Why don't they do it that way? Whereas it would have been better for the Cowboys for more of those teams to have basically this season that the Eagles had last year. Where the Eagles were still pretty aggressive last year. Obviously they're starting out aggressive again and then but at the end of the year, I mean, it knows dive for them to the point where they had major changes and things like that. But because those other NFC teams, the Bucks, the Rams, the Eagles, the Niners of these last four years have had success, people look at it and they're like, no, we know what the blueprint is. If you are really all in, it's what they're.
Speaker 2: Doing exactly, and their way of looking it all in is completely different than the way that the fans and that outsiders have looked it all in.
Speaker 1: And that's not backing up the front office for inaction.
Speaker 2: Because that's what's frustrating is thirty one teams in day one a free agency did something that they believed would make their football team better. Thirty one teams. That's not just a couple teams here and a couple teams there. You're looking at every other franchise in the NFL did at least something to push their team forward into the season. And that's the things our makeup for a loss exactly. Would I would consider a restructure of deck being a great domino that needs the fall first, we've talked about that. That is probably domino number one, flashing red light number one that needs to be taken care of.
Speaker 1: That has not happened. Ceedee Lamb his.
Speaker 2: Extension, whether that's before or after the DAK extension. Probably after the DAK extension, then you've got to get that done. Either way, there hasn't been any action other than signing your deep snapper Trent City back into the fold. Outside of that, you haven't necessarily done anything. That's where the frustration lies. Oh, we have a question, that's where it lies. And because if you're making some sort of action, you're doing some sort of shifting maneuvering, then at least it looks like there's something happening.
Speaker 1: But instead it looks like apathy.
Speaker 3: I believe that we're on agreement that the expectation was for Dallas to do nothing. Yes, that's the expectation that was that was that's based off history. That's that's history, right, history says Dallas does nothing when free agency starts, right.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Can you be disappointed?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Absolutely.
Speaker 3: If you're expe dictation is for them to do what they've always done, how can you be disappointed.
Speaker 2: Because of inaction and you're oh, but you expect it in comparison too.
Speaker 4: I'm with you, Isaiah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 5: That's why I was really so surprised that the fans were melting down yesterday. I was like, what exactly were we expecting given the cap situation? And all the fans are like, Oh, this cap situation, it's it's been created by the front office.
Speaker 4: They can alleviate that. Today.
Speaker 5: It's like, okay, let's let's think about this for a minute. Let's alleviate the cap situation today. What are you doing restructuring Deck, you're extending CD, You're restructuring dig steel making making room with Michael Gallop. One second, you're gonna go to five of your employees be like, hey, I needed to take a pay cut this next year, but we'll give it back to you on the back end, Like, don't worry about it.
Speaker 4: I know we've been doing that for the last five years.
Speaker 7: Taking a can.
Speaker 5: I know we've been doing that for the last five years. But let's go ahead and do that today because we need to spend money today.
Speaker 4: That's not gonna work. That's not how business works.
Speaker 5: Like it's yes, they can alleviate the cap today theoretically, but when it comes to personal and that's never going to happen. That is why they are in the cap situation that they are today. Zach Martin, you were able to make that money and get under the cap.
Speaker 2: That was the freedom there, which was surprising because he held out in training camp in Oxnard to get his money that had been kicked down the road initially.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: So Terrance Steell and Zach Martin have both restructured, correct terror steel is not not just it's not zach A right, Sorry, I have it, Zak Martin has Okay, So there is some restructuring, right, And I still stand by my statement last week. I know the expectation is for Dak to get restructured. I still think there's a high probability that they make him play in this fifth year. It's not the popular opinion. That's just my opinion. I think that they I think they get Ceedee Lamb done probably this week. That's my expectation, at.
Speaker 1: Least its action. Yeah, that's that's what I'm asking.
Speaker 7: That's my expectation.
Speaker 3: See, I I was torn between disappointment and frustration, and I think I was more frustrated than I was disappointed because to be disappointed, there's a level of expectation. And it's obviously already stated that the expectation is for Dallas to never do anything when free agency first starts. So it has to be frustration, right. My frustration is that Dallas has been competitive. Dallas has had a great roster every year using this strategy. They've done a great job of piecing it together. Front office is amazing of feeling the gaps right, they go to Trader's village every year and get some get some guys that are sitting at the house and they and they fill the gaps.
Speaker 7: Okay, they're not going to the premier stores.
Speaker 3: I'm not even gonn name because I don't know who sponsors, but there's a lot of premier stores that were that were shopped at yesterday. Right, Dallas doesn't do that. They go to the swap meet and they find they find some value deals.
Speaker 7: Okay, so that's it.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: They go to the state sales and they always find some good stuff. You can find good stuff at the state sales, right, just not necessarily the best stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: Last year Dallas proved evidence that that going out and being aggressive helps your roster. Right, it gives you a one heck of a push. Stephan Gilmour had a big impact last year. Brandon Cooks had a big impact last year. Obviously, these are guys that they went out and traded for. They took care of business in that regard, so it was approven. Now not only can can you go to go to the swap meet and get good players to fill the boys, but you go also go out there be aggressive and get players that can actually go out there and contribute to the success of your team. So if you have been proven to continue to fill the gaps and to be aggressive, people are expecting the continuation of that. When you obviously make the statement of all in, that doesn't help, right, There's a whole lot of ways that could be taken. Obviously he backpedal, got his deon sanders On and backpedal on that statement the following week. But I still believe frustration, not disappointment. Frustration comes in because there are always deals. Every single year we sit here and talk about it. Okay, I've been here for four years now, and you sit back and say, I would have did that deal. I would have did I would have signed Austin Eckler for five and a half million dollars, absolute freaking lutely.
Speaker 4: Zach Moss for four.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, you could have had them.
Speaker 1: Both, trading a fifth for Brian Burns.
Speaker 7: He would have took second, second and ff right.
Speaker 3: But those are deals that you would have done it, and it leads you to believe, and I believe this is when frustration comes in because we are unsure because we're not sitting in the those rooms, we're not on the cell phones, we don't have the records what calls are being made, right, we don't know what calls are being made. We don't know what moves are trying to be made. Because fans are left in the dark, because staff is left in the dark, we don't know the attempts that are actually taking place. We could sit here and assume that they're just sitting on their hands, but we truly don't know. We just know the result, and the result is other teams are obviously getting better with their roster with premiere players, not swap meet players that are still good, but premiere players that you know you're gonna get production out of, and you roll the dice and you spend the money. Dallas doesn't necessarily have that, but there are things that they can do with current guys on this roster to create space without even doing the Dak deal and still fill voids. The concern is you have gaping holes that have to be filled. This is not a situation where you only got a handful of spots that you need to take care of. Left tackle sent into your defensive line, running back room, linebacker room, linebacker room, receiver room.
Speaker 4: I don't think it's a receiver room. I think it's one receiver.
Speaker 1: It's probably just one guy.
Speaker 2: They've got Brandon Cooks back and Ceedee Lamb is the top receiver in the country.
Speaker 1: Like I'll say one receiver, it's.
Speaker 4: Not it's I don't think.
Speaker 6: I don't think. I don't think you need more than one linebacker either.
Speaker 3: Be with you, Yeah, in this in this new system, the way that Green Bay random.
Speaker 1: What are they?
Speaker 6: What are they gonna run a legit traditional four three with three linebackers out there all the time. You're gonna have linebackers out there, are going.
Speaker 3: To see extreme changes on defense, and I don't know how they're gonna make it happen. I honestly don't know how they're gonna But this roster is not gonna look like it looks like now.
Speaker 6: And that's why it's the rosters that could be as good as it was last year, not as everybody gets their hands around that and and moves forward that. I mean, that's just that fact.
Speaker 3: And that's my concern going into going into the draft, going into free agency, that's my concern because you're going to have.
Speaker 7: To appeal to what Zimmer wants.
Speaker 3: You have to and you have gaping holes offensively, So how do you address your gaping holes offensively? Where you know you have to at least get four big signings left tackle, center, and two running backs.
Speaker 6: You have to think those running two running backs are big signings. The league has shown you how the value that position is.
Speaker 8: Like.
Speaker 3: When I say big signings, I'm not talking about a king Henry. I'm talking about adequate contributors, like an Eckler, like a moss, like those guys that got picked up yesterday that can contribute, that are proven winners. And now, obviously you can get a draft pick, but you know you got a draft a left tackle. You know you got a draft a running back. You know you got to draft a center.
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: How many draft picks do we have? And then you know that you have to feel the voice that Zimmer wants. He's gonna change dynamically what your personnel looks like.
Speaker 7: So where are you getting all these guys from?
Speaker 6: They're gonna get them off the scrap heap? How to swap me?
Speaker 7: I mean Trader's village right out there?
Speaker 6: And Saturday, there's a salary cap. You can't have everything.
Speaker 7: I get what you're saying, but other teams are figuring it.
Speaker 5: Out some names that have been bounced around. And I also want to mention you mentioned a good point Isaiah about them being on the phone yesterday. Zach Moss was an option. I mean, I feel like I talked about for a while. I felt like that would have been a perfect fit with what Mike McCarthy likes to do. They were involved with that with that discussion, but then the money became a little bit too much for them.
Speaker 4: He ended up eight million.
Speaker 5: Two years, So if that's too much. Now you know where the price the price range is at. When when you when you look at that price range, you're looking at guys probably like Alexander Madison, Nakei Hines, Corderyl Patterson, Deontay Foreman. I mean, this is probably the range you're going to have to be okay with one running back that I think I'm very interested to see how his, uh, his market plays out, and I think it could end up being a sneaky good.
Speaker 4: Market for the Cowboys. It's JK.
Speaker 5: Dobbins because he's coming off all of these injuries. How will he be valued in that since he's still only twenty five, he was really productive when he was healthy. Cowboys could still kind of fall into a situation where they get a cheap guy who's just looking to prove himself past injury. That could work. But other than that, I don't really feel strong about any of these other names. Aj Dillon I think is going to be past their price range.
Speaker 1: Edwards a layer.
Speaker 3: So speaking to the speaking to getting guys off of injuries, how does that work with Michael Gallup Antoni Paul.
Speaker 4: Right, you're right.
Speaker 5: Look, I'm not saying, you know, I'm not saying the track is for sure for sure, I'm not saying that at all. But I think there could be an opportunity there if if they are able to get him on a cheap deal, then if they lose and is a cheap deal and they still have, you know, guys in the running back room and a guy that they're gonna draft, so we'll go from there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not gonna be perfect.
Speaker 5: That is not gonna be perfect, but you're gonna be chasing how to be okay. And I think that's an opportunity to be able to chase okay.
Speaker 3: And that's why I think that what dan Quinn did yesterday not only for his team, but to hurt that I think it was intentional.
Speaker 7: I believe sure intentional. I think that was very strategic.
Speaker 3: Well, they had caps face too, they have money, but there was other guys they could they got from other teams.
Speaker 1: Agreed that they.
Speaker 6: Didn't want to really concerned by the commanders over there.
Speaker 3: And I'm not concerned about what their production is. I'm concerned about what they just did to their roster yesterday. Let's talk about that a little bit. Let's talk about that.
Speaker 2: There's there's an element of fomo fear of missing out for Cowboys fans and looking across the division and seeing what other teams have done so far in free agency. I want to hit some of the names that are going to Philadelphia, New York and Washington because all three teams were very active on day one. And how much of an impact does it really make. Let's talk about that when we come back with more talking Cowboys.
Speaker 9: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatible plan and device. Five G may not be available your area. Se Att dot com slash big for you for details.
Speaker 8: Black Rifle Coffee Company serves premium coffee to people who love America. When you drink Black Rifle Coffee, you are directly supporting veterans, law enforcement, and first responders in your community. Black Rifles expert roasters love coffee almost as much as Texas loves football, So it makes sense that America's coffee partner with America's team. Go online at Black Riflecoffee dot com and fuel up with the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys. That's Black Riflecoffee dot Com to fuel.
Speaker 2: Up today, Cowboys fans. After that move, We've just coined the term rowdy replay. Let's roll back the table.
Speaker 11: Okay, there's our mascot Rowdy cheering on the boys. And now he's on his phone on his Bank of America mobile banking.
Speaker 2: App, staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial Assistant Erica.
Speaker 11: Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive, Cowboys fans just can't stop banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot com. Slash can't stop banking Everkay.
Speaker 2: It's only available in the English language. Must download the latest version of the Mobile bank app. Only available so like mobile devices. Message you Dad, rais may why I remember FDIC?
Speaker 12: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answered life's questions with an ice cold can of doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller, Would you, Dear doctor?
Speaker 3: My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 2: But what's the right gift that says thanks for.
Speaker 7: Being a soldier to cry out?
Speaker 12: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious Doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 12: Just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you.
Speaker 1: Deserve to Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 2: This portion of the show is brought to you by Quaker Oats, a super trusted super food Quaker Roats, the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna throw my teammate under the bus, but I didn't have any oats in here.
Speaker 1: Hmm.
Speaker 7: You know what I mean. By the time I got here at breakfast is over.
Speaker 1: Listen, he's busy.
Speaker 7: I know he's busy. He's the man.
Speaker 1: He's a busy individual.
Speaker 7: He's the freaking man. Yeah, being the man for what twenty plus years?
Speaker 8: I know, my, I my, my, my cellular phone hasn't been working as of late.
Speaker 3: But I don't see any text me.
Speaker 1: Let me scroll, give me a second, let me scroll.
Speaker 3: That's likes dog on iPhones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and no skill. That's what it was. Same sung didn't get there in time.
Speaker 7: You see the lens and you'll see it.
Speaker 1: Last time I said, I'll get you some oats.
Speaker 8: You're like, oh no, they're gonna be cold by the time I get there.
Speaker 7: Like warm oat. You can do cold pizza, you can't do cold oats.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't have a microwave back here.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised you don't. Honestly, you got like the cocky black rifle.
Speaker 4: It was it was.
Speaker 5: It was BEA's oppression of Isaiah for a minute there. Why did he sound like Billy Bob Thordon sling blade?
Speaker 1: All right, let's talk about some of the FOMO.
Speaker 2: Part of the frustration, along with being the only of thirty two teams to not make a move in day one of the legal tampering period, is the fact that the teams within your division made some big moves.
Speaker 1: And we'll start.
Speaker 2: We'll start with the commander since we were just talking about it. So Austin Eckler signs a two year deal. They get Zach Ertz on a one year deal, Tyler Biattish of course, to urn Tomstrong, of course, two cowboys now going to play with Dan Quinn as their head coach. And basically they signed a linebacker, Frankie luvu Is.
Speaker 1: So how you say his last nimes? He's a fun little free agent.
Speaker 2: Three years, thirty six million dollars. The commanders make some moves. But John, you were talking about it in the middle of the break.
Speaker 7: A little bit.
Speaker 2: Sometimes in day one of free agency, it is spend money time.
Speaker 1: It is panic spending.
Speaker 2: To a certain extent, because you're trying to beat everybody else to the punch, and a lot of times it's reserved for teams that aren't very good and have some cap.
Speaker 6: Space to kill absolutely, and that's why there's a lot of teams that you've mentioned that. Frankly, if you're a Cowboys fan, I don't know why you rarely would even be that concerned about them. I understand a couple of murn your division. But for me, when I when I look at what goes on in free agency, I'm more focused on obviously the Cowboys, but then the other teams that are on their level, like you know, the Eagles, the Niners, the Lions, the Packers, Like what are those teams doing to get better? Because those are the teams you're probably gonna have to go through, uh in the postseason. So when Washington and New York do a bunch of stuff, I mean, that's that's great for their franchise. They still need to identify a franchise quarterback, you know, So there's there's some pieces that need to be made there before you're really looking at them, like, Okay, I'm really worried about this. So and they have a bunch of money to spend, so you're not going to just sit there and not spend it. So they're gonna they're gonna pay for players. Sometimes it works a lot of times it doesn't.
Speaker 2: New Hey, coach, just trying to make it in right, push an identity, build a culture.
Speaker 6: And and maybe they do and maybe it works out, but there's just a lot of times where it doesn't, and it just some of these teams stay in the same cycle year after year after year.
Speaker 1: What did you think about what Washington did yesterday?
Speaker 5: Yeah, we expected the Commanders to be active with their cap space, so you know, they were able to get on the board and fill will fill a few needs. We'll see kind of how as the draft gets closer, what they're again, what their quarterback situation will look like. Come back to me in a couple of months and we could talk about the Commanders.
Speaker 6: But I think what's the biggest move that they've made this offseason that really concerns you, like you like at the Washington Washington's franchise last whatever ten years, really since post RG three, Like, what move have they made to where you were just like, well, this could be a this could be a big problem.
Speaker 4: Drafting RG three, I guess I mean or before that.
Speaker 6: No, No, I'm saying I'm saying. I'm saying recently recently.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they draft I'm the fourth round of that same draft.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm with you. I'm with you one hundred percent.
Speaker 6: There was a long time where where I was like, you know, it could be concerned for them is having Montes sweat, Chase Young, Allen Payne. I'm like, Oh, they're gonna build that defensive line, and then all of a sudden, now those pieces are gone, and again when you don't have the franchise quarterback.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: If I had to rank like the most quote unquote concerning things that happened for the Cowboys around the NFC East yesterday, I don't think I would get it to a commander's note until.
Speaker 4: Probably like fourth or fifth.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean you're talking about out Bryce stuff going to the Eagles, Brian Burns getting traded to the Giants, Saquon Barkley going to the Eagles.
Speaker 4: I feel like there was another big signing for the Giants yesterday. But I mean the division got better overall.
Speaker 5: Commanders, they have obviously a bigger gap to close, so it's gonna take them a little bit longer to put the pieces together, but I think I think they will be. I think they will be a lot better than they were last year. I think that's that's a fact. Like I think they're they're improving to be teetering on that six seven win territory as opposed to three to four last year. And what it depends on the quarterback that they get is to whether they're a winning team or not.
Speaker 4: In my opinion, it's funny.
Speaker 2: Nick Eatman was the one that brought this up yesterday just in conversation, so I'll give him credit for this, but I thought it was perfect. It's like next year whenever Isaiah and I or get ready for a Sunday afternoon matchup, noon kickoff at FedEx Field and we're breaking down the pregame live notes. I don't think we're gonna lead the show off with Dorence Armstrong. We're not going to lead the show off with Tyler Biattish. Like it's gonna be whoever they take it quarterback. It'll be Drake May out of North Carolina, It'll be Jade and Daniels out of LSU.
Speaker 6: Whoever's their quarterback is Marcus Mariota.
Speaker 2: Marcus Mariota is the Yeah. Whoever it ends up being, it's not gonna be. These aren't big name signings. The one thing we will talk about, though, is on the Philadelphia side of things, Sakuon Barkley. We'll talk about Saquon Barkley going to Philly and what he looks like.
Speaker 1: Going into it.
Speaker 2: Signs a three year, thirty we'll say, just thirty eight million dollar contract.
Speaker 1: According to Ian Rappaport.
Speaker 2: They also signed Alberta Quebanam the tight end, Landon Dickerson offensive guard. They re signed him, brought back Brandon Graham, signed Bryce Huff the edge rusher, and then Julian Aquara the free agent linebacker as well.
Speaker 1: So that's what Philly did yesterday.
Speaker 6: And that's on the heels of they lose DeAndre Swift. Yes, Jason Kelsey retires, Fletcher Cox retires some big pieces.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like they've done enough to fill that void just based off of their first day?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 6: Maybe not. I mean, I think a lot of Kelsey so and Fletcher Cox has had a phenomenal career. Swift, I think they obviously exceeded expectations by replacing with Barkley. I can't sit here and say, like one day it does that for me with the Eagles, but it's the fact that you just you have this track record. You know how aggressive they are. It's not just about yesterday, not just about today, it's about the next whatever, three, four, five, six months into the season, you know they're going to be aggressive. They operate very aggressively to where you know they can make shirts that say all in and people would believe it.
Speaker 1: What do you think?
Speaker 3: I agree with everything. James just said that the Philly is just a team. They don't relax. They don't relax.
Speaker 7: You can't.
Speaker 3: There's not a point where I feel like when you're dealing with the Dallas Cowboys in their current state, You're like, all right, they're done making their moves, like that's their roster.
Speaker 7: Philly not the case.
Speaker 3: You just you never feel secure all the way through the trade deadline, and Philly is always looking to do something. I feel like they're all We talked about the feeling and not knowing whether teams are on the phone or not. You feel like Philly's always on the phone. You know what I'm saying, Like like Philly's like, hey, is Nick available? How much Nick?
Speaker 2: Want?
Speaker 13: All?
Speaker 14: Right?
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 7: All right? Talk you later. You know what I'm saying, My price? How about now?
Speaker 6: Nick?
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 3: Like like you can just you get the sense that they're always pursuing and always asking and always trying because some of the things that they get accomplished, it's just like, dang, how the heck they get that?
Speaker 6: And then you know what they're part about is that, Like it's the Eagles and Niners have both also, they've swung in midst They've made bad moves, They've done the wrong thing to take the risk. Yeah, well, and then they make up for it with other moves. You're just like, how did they get out of that? I was told if that didn't work out that that they were going to be in a hole forever, and that hole is not at all and they just fill in those holes and move on to the next thing. It's crazy, like how aggressive and and how successful they've been.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, I feel like Dallas is like the old thirty five millimeter camera and every other team in the NFC that's competitive has like the new digit joints, and hey, you take pat as, you could delete it, you know, like, well, let's ask still trying to be perfect with every shot.
Speaker 6: And to be honest with you, that's fine if you if your results are like what Kansas City's been doing, Like Kansas City doesn't have to go out and sign anybody else. They're trying to keep everybody that they have because they have had that ultimate success. And I'm and even that is ridiculous. I'm not asking for three super Bowls in five years. But if with this cores right now, you had won a super Bowl within the last two or three years, I think it's a lot more sitting back being like, hey, why would you want to get rid of why would you want to shake this up? This is this is heading the right, everything's here. But when you have that, forget even the last two or three years, just that showing against the Packers, yep, should make you question everything.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like, actually ask this question on the other side of the break, do you feel like what happened against the Packers has affected the way the things have happened in free agency whatsoever so far?
Speaker 1: And maybe what it'll do in the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about that when we come back. More talking Cowboys returns in a moment they.
Speaker 14: Say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and.
Speaker 1: Off the field.
Speaker 14: Legendary John Deere Tractors, combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipments, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit Unitedagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 8: Are you ready to take coffee off your grocery list forever? Black Rifle Coffee Club is here to help. As a Coffee Club member, you'll get your favorite coffees, roasted package and ship to your door free of charge on your preferred schedule. Set it, forget it, and never run low on coffee again. Members also get exclusive deals on coffee products and discounts from partner brands. Ease your mind and let Black Rifle worry about your coffee supply. Go to Black Rifle Coffee dot com to join the Coffee Club today.
Speaker 2: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and Right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus Because every deal needs a playmaker. Your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy whipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 9: Tod thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatable plan and device may not be available in your areas. The att dot com slash by g for you for details to Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Back here on Talking Cowboys. This segment is brought to you by in Visa Line the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys. I say a stand bang, John Machoda, Nick Harris, I'm Kyle Yeoman's Chris Beam in the back, all right. I asked the question a little bit there. How much does the loss to Green Bay affect the mindset going into free agency moving forward? Does it affect it in the action that we've seen so far? Saying maybe maybe we are questioning everything. Maybe we don't know from a front office standpoint, who to bring back, who to extend, who to really put out there on the trade market.
Speaker 1: There there are a ton of different.
Speaker 2: Options you can have when it comes to building this roster for the future. It could either be retain guys and try and battle to be good. Like you said, Nick, it could be go all in. I think that one's pretty much out of the window at this point by signing some big name free agents and saying screw the cap. We'll figure that out later down the road. Or you can blow it all up and start all over. But how do you feel like it's affected things based off of that Green Bay loss?
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, we're it's sitting right now. I don't think there's any difference with what they're doing as if they would have lost the Niners in NFC Championship Game.
Speaker 5: I agree, Yeah, I don't. I don't feel like that the loss is yeah, no, I don't. They could have won the Super Bowl, they'd still be in the very same situation.
Speaker 2: There's a point to me asking this, by the way, I want to just get everybody's answers.
Speaker 1: First. Have you ever.
Speaker 7: Accidentally put foil in a microwave? Oh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, huh yeah?
Speaker 7: Was that a traumatic event for you?
Speaker 1: It was?
Speaker 6: It was fun looking.
Speaker 7: Did it Did it change how it was? Did it change the.
Speaker 12: It was?
Speaker 1: My wife will not because of that.
Speaker 3: Okay, So did it change how much attention you place on looking at what you put in a microwave from that point forward?
Speaker 6: Not as much as it made me think. I can't believe that, Like, you're so panic that you would grab something on fire to throw it into the sink, not thinking about how it would burn your hand. But it's like, I gotta get the zire before you remember.
Speaker 3: But you remember that every time, Yeah, every time you get ready to put something in the microwator to warm it up, Like you think about that one time that you freaking almost burnt up down the house.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: I can give a similar comparison on what was total the car because I was driving over a puddle and there was a sinkhole under that puddle and it flooded my edge.
Speaker 4: And so every time I drop drive around.
Speaker 3: And don't you exactly absolutely so, when you get smacked up in the first round like that, yeah, that should be a traumatic event and that should impact how you go forward from that. After that, that should be the foil event for the Dallas Cowboys. They should be uber aggressive. They should be doing things that they've never done before because they don't want that to ever happen again. That's how much that should have hurt. It hurt us.
Speaker 7: I saw looking our eyes.
Speaker 3: I've never seen a look in Jerry Jones's eyes like I saw after that game. That pain right there should affect everything that you do going forward, and to date it hasn't.
Speaker 7: We hope, we keep using that word every year.
Speaker 3: We hope that it does going forward, but as of today, it hasn't had enough of an impact.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you brought that up because both John and Nick saying it hasn't changed anything, and it won't change anything, and nothing's going to change regardless, and you saying it should change based off of how jarring and how dramatic that entire sequence was losing to the Packers and getting bounced the way that you did.
Speaker 1: What does change even look like. I think change.
Speaker 2: Would frustrate fans more than it would actually make them excited moving forward. I think change would be trading Micah Parsons. Change would be not extending Dak Prescott, leting him play out the fifth year option and then he's gone at the end of the year, next year or whatever it ends up being, along with your head coach, along with your defensive coordinator, along with one of your.
Speaker 1: Top wide receivers, Deep Shepherd. You're one snapper.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's on a one year deal, so like that one hurts that losing your deep Snapper.
Speaker 1: That's what change would.
Speaker 2: Look like as a whole as a blow up, as a let's let's scrap this thing, take it out of the fridge, or take it out of the microwave on fire and throw it into the scene.
Speaker 1: That's what that would look like.
Speaker 6: It's easier, dude, nobody wants a lot of that. Yeah, but it's easy to do a whole whole sale type change like that. If the team's really bad exactly, you know, but when it's just it's kind of in a spot where you're like, you don't want to break it all up because you feel like it's knocking on the door or hanging around the rim. Then you don't want to do that. And I feel like that's where they're at, where they're just like, well, how can we sit here and roll out twelve consecutive or three consecutive twelve win seasons if it's that bad?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but the thing is like jam Like it's kind of like fitness, right, like the fitness industry, and I know we all get our work out on like speak for yourself.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, and.
Speaker 3: Most most listeners can probably you can probably relate to this if they have a consistent workout regiment.
Speaker 7: There's lulls that you hit.
Speaker 3: There's times where you're used to doing the same workouts, you know, International Chess Days, Monday, whatever it might be, and you're going through your regular workout regiments, right, and there's a lull. You can't get over a hump, right, you can't get to the physique you want, or you can't lose the body of five percentage that you want, right, But you're doing the same things. It's been working, right, Like, I know, if I keep doing this, I'll at least be here. But I don't want to just be here right And if I want something different, then I have not been attaining. Then I have to change up my regiment. I have to change my nutrition, I have to change up my work, and I gotta jege up my conditioning. There's something that has to change if I want to get to the level I haven't been.
Speaker 6: I get that, But my argument with that comp is that, but at least, if you're doing something in the gym, you're probably not all of a sudden going to show up and just like, man, I've been working out every day and I lost fifty pounds, I'm skinny, Like where did all this way go?
Speaker 1: Where?
Speaker 6: Like, there's not that downside or the opposite of it. You're not gonna work out every single day and be like, man, how did I gain seventy five pounds of fat? Like you're at least if you just show up every day, that's not gonna happen. There's no guarantee like that. When you're running an NFL team, you can be doing things all the time thinking that hey, I'm just showing up. I'm punching the clock, I'm showing up, and guys can get hurt. You can you cannot resign your franchise quarterback and then when he's gone, you can spend the next decade looking for another person like that. Like, that's not gonna happen in the gym if you just keep showing up every day, if you just keep showing up every day. In the NFL, there's no guarantee you'll get another Dak Prescott for the next decade if you let him go. So there is a downside to.
Speaker 7: That risk versus reward.
Speaker 6: Absolutely for sure.
Speaker 2: It's a motivation by John Macholda everybody. We just talked about, why get the gym. You're gonna be better if you get in the gym every day.
Speaker 6: If you go every day, you're gonna get good results. Saying you're gonna get some kind of results.
Speaker 3: We just talked about other competitive NFC. NFC teams, Yeah, rolling the dice, sure for sure. And sometimes you hit and usually said it, and sometimes you don't hit.
Speaker 7: The only way you know is if you wrote them down.
Speaker 6: To be honest with you, it's the one part of the franchise where it's it's this has been beaten to death, but it has to be set again. The big difference is that they have general managers that aren't the owner and that and whether you're you're hitting home runs or not in that position, that has to be pointed to because that is the one common difference between them. So it has to have some type of an impact.
Speaker 5: I think an argument can be made that they rolled a lot of dice last year and trading for Stefankill more, trading for Brandon Cooks, you know, restructuring Martin and giving him what he wanted at the end of training camp, pushing money back into this year for Dak Prescott. I mean, they've been all in for the last two to three.
Speaker 1: Years in there.
Speaker 6: And then here's the other the argument definitely.
Speaker 3: Last year was the most aggressive I've season a lot of time, and it put them in a great position.
Speaker 6: And another one I think about that too is if Mazie is solid and it helps improve the run game, like just to a point where like you would have that going into this offseason, like man like that we shored that up. That was a big issue. Now we can add on to that and everybody because you got nothing out of that pick, and now we're sitting here talking again about man, you need another run stopping defensive tackle. And this is a team that is draft and developed. When you have a draft class that you don't get anything out of in that season, yep, that's another thing that people will point to and be like, man, that that hurts big time, you know.
Speaker 1: And it does.
Speaker 2: It did hurt, yeah, because now you're looking at this draft class and you're saying, Okay, if you whiff on a draft class for the second straight year, which doesn't happen often. Like we said, this is a draft and developed franchise for a reason because they've built their identity on drafting. Well, if they whiff on a draft class in twenty twenty four, this is gonna be a wild next couple of years because you don't you don't know what it's gonna look.
Speaker 4: The rebuild is coming, it might be.
Speaker 2: It might be until then, We're gonna be here to break it down every week Tuesdays at ten am Central Time.
Speaker 6: That's what we're gonna be every day.
Speaker 1: We're every day, show up, show up. We're gonna get a little bit better, and we're gonna move this podcast to the weight room.
Speaker 2: We're gonna sounds good. Mean, let's get it going. We did it from a coffee shop. We can make it half fat in the weight room. We can get over there. That that that one sided glass window that Dalton Schultz is working talking about.
Speaker 4: I want to feel like I'm in a zoo beam.
Speaker 2: Listen by the way, Dalton window. The one time somebody maybe knocked on the window in the history of the Star. I guess Dalton Schultz was doing squats like I don't even know.
Speaker 1: It's just nobody knocks on windows around here. Dalton, that's a bit even if they did. Even if they did, it's part of it.
Speaker 6: It only kicks in though, once the playoffs start. Yeah, because it's fine when we can win the twelve games. Once January hits, it's like whoa, whoa.
Speaker 13: Knock on that one here, guys listen doing Hey, I will say, we've had windows behind our studios for every every show and it doesn't affect us.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I get rid of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe you should go to Houston.
Speaker 6: All right, Hey, hey three years thirty six, Yeah, you'll make it work. Yeah, I walk there.
Speaker 1: I agree. Next week John won't be here.
Speaker 2: He'll he'll have signed or agreed to terms with the Washington Commands and covering they're.
Speaker 1: Gonna take him as well. That'll do it for talking Cowboys today.
Speaker 2: I hope you had as much fun as we did. Don't worry, Cowboys Nation, It'll get better. Wait, possibly when we come back next week. Ten am Central Time. Here from the Star for Isaiah stand back, John Michoa, Nick Harris, He's Chris Beam. I'm Kyle Yoman saying so long from the Star and FRISCOO. We'll see you next week.
Speaker 9: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.