Speaker 1: I don't know if you have telenovela songs living rent free in your head, but I do. Is there any one specific song that you remember?
Speaker 2: I mean, yes, growing up it was Maria Merce. I mean, come on, you know that one.
Speaker 1: Yes, Falia Hello. I think they would revoke my Mexican card if I didn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you would have been solely Puerto Rican after that moment.
Speaker 1: Nothing wrong with that, Nothing wrong with that. Okay, but do you remember this one telenovela. It was called abrasa memo Ferte. It was a little short lived, not gonna lie. It really only ran for like a year, but it was peak of popularity at the time.
Speaker 2: Okay, hold on, tell me more so.
Speaker 1: It's a classic Mexican novella. Right, there's a young woman. She falls in love with a ranch hand who works on her parents farm always. But of course, what happened she gets knocked up?
Speaker 2: Joo. Okay, but wait a minute, what does this have to do with one Gabrielle.
Speaker 1: No, he's not the daddy I was hoping, But he did sing the theme song to the novella.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, hold on, hold on albrassa mem we The song is so dramatic, so it makes total sense. It would intro at telenovela. It starts off like a soft ballad and then builds up with all these violins and a super powerful orchestra.
Speaker 1: And can we just hold a second. Let's talk about the lyrics. It is so classic one Gabriel. I mean, you've got passion and emotion.
Speaker 2: You mean albrasa mekeel, tempos ma lois. I can't do him justice, I just I can't.
Speaker 1: I really appreciate the effort and out dark. Go back and watch this, you guys on YouTube. It is worth the rewatch. But imagine those lyrics on top of an equally drum antique title sequence. Okay, so let me set the stage for you guys. There's this couple in an embrace in front of a waterfall, passionate making out, and then scenes of what looks like a betrayal.
Speaker 2: No God, imagine hearing that every single night. What an intense start to an evening.
Speaker 1: But our Wilitas and arthias they loved that intensity so much so that in two thousand and one it reached number one in the Billboard's Top Latin Song Chart. It sat at top of the chart for a total of Get This nine Weeks Abrasamer, which was the title album, was eventually even nominated for a Grammy.
Speaker 2: Wow Hwangi started off the new millennium at the top of his game.
Speaker 1: That's right. He continued to write award winning songs for popular music artists, dazzle the crowds at live performances, and of course win Akolie around the world.
Speaker 2: And it was at this height of heights that people began to ask questions.
Speaker 1: Rumors about one Gabriel's personal life swirled in the media for years. People of course still adored him, but the speculation about his personal life was ceaseless.
Speaker 2: Today we're getting to Juan Gabriel's career during the odds and twenty tens and his impact on queer latiness.
Speaker 1: I'm your host Liliana Ooscaz.
Speaker 2: And I'm Joseph Carrio and this is Becoming an.
Speaker 1: Icon, a weekly podcast where we give you the rundown on how today's most famous latinv stars have shaped pop culture.
Speaker 2: And given the world some extra level.
Speaker 1: Sit back and get comfortable.
Speaker 2: Because we are going in the only way we know how.
Speaker 1: With Buena's vivas I juenasriesas some cheese and a lot of opinions as we relive the latest achievements on our journey to find out what makes them still iconic. Imagine this New Year's Eve nineteen ninety nine. Everyone is waiting for y two k with baited bread.
Speaker 2: People thought all that shit was going to go down. I remember being at a club in quades like, am I going to be able to cross back? I stay crazy? Also, why would I still go out? I'm like, why yuch?
Speaker 1: Not A lot has changed for you since nineteen ninety nine. But come hell or high water, you were not alone. There were massive events coordinated around the world to ring in the year two thousand in style, and one of those events was held in Mexico City's Zokaro, the fifty seven point six thousand square meter public square in the middle of the capitol. And can you guess who performed?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, don't tell meld No what Joseph.
Speaker 1: They don't even pop up for like four more years. Try again, Okay, right right, Guangy's Sting ding Ding. He performed on stage for more than three hundred and fifty thousand people to ring in the new year.
Speaker 2: Oh and by the way, nobody got sucked in to the matrix.
Speaker 1: Nope, Wanga performed on a stage that arched over the plaza, accompanied by Mariacci. He owned that stage with a three hundred and sixty degree view to a cheering crowd.
Speaker 2: What a way to start the new millennium, it was.
Speaker 1: And his performance was emblematic of the epic live shows that he would go on to give throughout the rest of the odds.
Speaker 2: Amazing by the way.
Speaker 1: He also returned to El Socolo in two thousand and four to give another major show. This time it was a spring concert that the Mexican government put on called Noche de prima Verra. Why don't we get things like that? Like why can we not have nice things in the United States?
Speaker 2: Completely?
Speaker 1: Like where is our Noche de prima Verra? Our government needs to step it up. Let's just say in a lot of departments. But anyway, that Noche had all sorts of musical artists and Wanghi's, of course, was the grand finale.
Speaker 2: Okay, hold on, but what made this spring show so major?
Speaker 1: Well, in true Latino fashion, the concert started at one a m. And lasted five hours. Basically, it wasn't the party, it wasn't the after party. It was the after after party.
Speaker 2: What talk about the stamina at the right, Like, can you imagine singing for that long? No?
Speaker 1: I can't, And damn did Wan Gabriel sing? He sang fifty two songs to a crowd of eighty thousand people.
Speaker 2: That is way longer than the Beyonce Renaissance show.
Speaker 1: Taylor's eras tour. At this point in his career, he'd been in the music industry for almost thirty years, so he had a massive catalog to choose from. So yeah, he was gonna do all the hits.
Speaker 2: Okay, so his slang live performances all throughout the two thousands. So what else does he have going on?
Speaker 1: I'm so happy you asked Joseph Wanghi's the hit Maker kept on writing hits for other artists after.
Speaker 2: Ten albums with Rossio Urgan, The Man doesn't stop.
Speaker 1: Exactly just before Wanghi's rang in the New Millennium. In nineteen ninety nine, Mexican pop rock band Mana performed Semelo Vido Travis on MTV Unplugged.
Speaker 2: I Love those Days, Ricky Shakita all had legendary performances where they'd play like a stripped down version of their songs.
Speaker 1: Well Wangabrielle originally saying that song as a ranchtra complete with Mariacci.
Speaker 2: Right. It's slow and conveys this like sadness of being forgotten story of my life. Literally, the song is about the constant reminder of unrequitted.
Speaker 1: L ov definitely the story of your life, like at least for the last three years. But nonetheless, when you listen to this song, it feels like total heartbreak. And well, ma Na's rendition couldn't be farther from that vibe. It sounded more like this kind of bright like reggae influence song, completely different vibes. Also worth the watch. Just google it on YouTube.
Speaker 2: It's so good it actually makes me want to dance, Like as soon as you start hearing these gonga drums in the beginning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, and then the horns come in and it is just a good time.
Speaker 2: It's hard to believe it's about a sad feeling. But who said a bench needs to be happy to dance?
Speaker 1: I mean, hello, have you ever been out with us? By the way, we are happy people. We just feel deeply, that's all.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Mana's version was such a hit it went on to in an inaugural Latin Grammy in two thousand for Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with vocal.
Speaker 2: You know another Mexican rock band that made a Huangabrida song famous, no tell Me Well. A couple of years later, the Hagua Is, one of Mexico's most beloved rock bands, made the song cool again.
Speaker 1: Haguada Is filled stadiums and they gave Wanghi's a nod.
Speaker 2: Guang Gabrielo originally sing a song as a romantic ballad accompanied with an orchestra or mariacci.
Speaker 1: And the song is really beautiful, y'all. Wanga goes on and on, how great the person he loves this and of course because it's Wangba, very dramatic and of course full of emotion. With those lyrics, he's basically begging for his lover to never leave him.
Speaker 2: Better know me kids, nunka, nunca nuca. You know they say that it's kind of like rock. I thought it was a little more like alternative.
Speaker 1: I think alt is a great way to describe it, right, But how does it translate into a rock song?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 2: How is version of that starts off with the strum of guitars and then a wailing harmonica and then you know, this ghetto voice sings the lyrics we all know. Again, it's totally different from the original vibe. It's a different type of emotion, kind of like a Nirvana feeling. Ooh, I feel like that.
Speaker 1: And maybe that's why Wanga's song became so popular again, Right. It's a song that we all know. We've heard it a million times, so there's obviously the nostalgia factor, but it's getting a new twist and I think that's what's bringing in the people, right, And it showed.
Speaker 2: The song was on top of the charts in Mexico for months in two thousand and two.
Speaker 1: And it really proved that Wanghi's had staying power. A whole new generation of music lovers was being introduced to his songs.
Speaker 2: But that didn't stop some noseass benches from asking questions.
Speaker 1: Two thousand and two was wild, y'all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, extra low rise jens and mid drifts were all the rage, and don't make me get the picks I have.
Speaker 1: Of you, please please save me. Nobody needs to see my frosty, dusty eyeshadow.
Speaker 2: Don't don't even get me started on that.
Speaker 1: You know what also happened in two Wanga had that one very important interview on Primrimbacto.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, BIMs, we are going to talk about it right now.
Speaker 1: Say less, let's go first, we do need to back it up because we need to set the stage for you guys. It is two thousand and two. This is twenty two years ago, right, Mexico still had not legalized same sex marriage, which would not happen until two thousand and nine. And let's be honest, we keep it real here on becoming an icon. Mexico's culture is very Catholic, conservative, and of course very macho right.
Speaker 2: By today's standards. The machismo is rampant. Homophobia is everywhere, and people even used to say that's so gay as an insult, and you know what, that's so gay.
Speaker 1: I love you. And because Wanga is so flamboyant on stage and isn't afraid of wearing sparkles or lente juelas and of course showing his femininity, so many called his sexuality into question. That brings us to a sit down interview Wangabriel did with host Fernando de ldrincon from premering Bacto. This highly popular Spanish language news program on Univicion.
Speaker 2: Fernando basically brings up that people think he's gay.
Speaker 1: He's sharing that people are speculating because there were these photos released of Wanga with a hoven rue. That is a direct quote from the interview, and apparently it was rumored that Wan Gay had got him a car and that he had flown him to Mexico. I mean, it was giving Diane Sawyer attacking Britney spears vibes.
Speaker 2: If you know, you know, okay, So then Kwanga's like, oh, so you're interested in knowing.
Speaker 1: And Fernando is like, yeah, I'm asking you. We're live, and.
Speaker 2: Wan is like, okay, well then I'll answer you decent. No, mijo, it's the meho for me, all of that sass in just that one word.
Speaker 1: And translation for our non Spanish speakers. He said, they say, don't question what you can see, Miho.
Speaker 2: I love that you kept me.
Speaker 1: He goes on to say that people are smart, they're not dumb, and that people ask these questions for TV ratings. I mean, he basically read Fernando in the moment. Fernando was not ready. He was not ready for Wanga and He also continues to say that he's an artist and he has already given people so much with his music. He does not owe you anything. He also ends by saying that we get one life to live, and you have to live it and not worry about all of the gossa like enough.
Speaker 2: Pat, I mean, he basically said, keep it moving, sir, and I neither confirm nor deny anything.
Speaker 1: Was that a wink?
Speaker 2: It was?
Speaker 1: It was an audio wink. The thing is Wanga didn't have to confirm his sexuality because he transcended gender norms and queered the stage with his mere presence.
Speaker 2: It was enough for him to show up and be seen as he was to make a total impact for the LGBTQ Latinos everywhere.
Speaker 1: Author Benjamin Alita Signs put it so succinctly in a tribute after Wanga's death, quote, he was an open scene and the straight community adored him because he had the virtue that every Mexican man admires. He had courage. He moved Mexico through his songs his queerness. In every note. He defined his own manhood through a queerness that could not be hidden and could not be denied in a country where men like him were not considered men at all. Macho Mexico's response was simply to return the love he so freely offered in the songs he so passionately sang. With every performance, I got goosebumps.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was good. That was good.
Speaker 1: I'm like, hey, Benjamin, you want to come on becoming an icon as our special after the icon's guests, are you Benjamin?
Speaker 2: For other queer Latinos, because Huanga was accepted in their family's homes with open arms, it helped them come out too. Chicano poet Eduardo Sil said that when he came out to his mom in high school, he was worried about what his father would think and one of the rights Later that night, when he came home from the oil mill, my mother told my father his response, so quangam Yeah, look at him. He's successful and.
Speaker 1: Loved no and that right there is the power of elievo. He really was true to himself and people adored him for it, like the power of authenticity. If you don't believe it, here you go, what on icon? Seriously? Goosebumps?
Speaker 2: Okay, we all know that Wanga was one oak aka, one of a kind and the best expression of that was through his fits.
Speaker 1: I have been waiting for this part of this episode because we need to discuss this man.
Speaker 2: Loved a theatrical suit, bold colors, sparkles, and never met a brocade he didn't wear.
Speaker 1: We have so many photos that we've looked at for this episode. It was actually hard for us to narrow it down. And if you guys follow me on Instagram, you know that style is my love language. This is like what I transact in every day, and honestly, it was so hard to narrow it down to our favorite wan Ga fits because there's just so many good ones. I mean, if you look back at other artists, right, like if you look back at Selena, if you look back at any stage costume that Harry Styles has ever worn, I feel like they are all deeply rooted in things that Wangabda has worn. Like there's this one of him where he is in a i'm gonna call it like a deep eggplant purple blazer, okay, and there's like little almost like sequin stringies hanging from all over the jacket. It almost looks like Ostrich feathers, but they're sparkling. And then he has a bolow tie. Made of the same fabric from the jacket.
Speaker 2: Wait, bolo tie. That is a flash back, right there, flashback.
Speaker 1: And then I think one of my favorite, which I think you also really liked too, was the beautiful, like floral embroidered jacket with the gold shirt and the green tie so good.
Speaker 2: It kind of reminded me of a weep bee. Do you know what that is?
Speaker 1: No, what's a weep bee?
Speaker 2: So I went to chop Us in Mexico, like for a wedding or whatever, and there are these like indigenous people who live there and they wear this thing and it's like embroidered flowers and stuff, and it kind of reminded me of that. I bet you that jacket was really hot.
Speaker 1: Oh, I know exactly what you're talking about. I know exactly. Okay, I just literally real time. I actually just googled that, and I think you're right. It's that very traditional embroidery.
Speaker 2: I loved it.
Speaker 1: It's beautiful. You guys have to look it up and then listen. The man loved pastels. Give him any shade, give him any shade of pink, and he will own it. And what I think is so beautiful too, is a lot of his looks were obviously inspired by traditional mariachi wear, but he made it so bold and it popped and it was so loud, which is everything that Mariaci is like. That is the true essence of Mariacci.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have a challenge for you. I want you to describe Quangovde's style in three words or less, damn.
Speaker 1: Loud, living mm hmm, mother.
Speaker 2: You know what I thought you were gonna say? Brocade? Like I literally thought one of those words is going to be that. But yeah, those are that. That is him.
Speaker 1: I personally would love to incorporate a little bit more of Wanghi's like style into my wardrobe because I often find that, you know, I dress like pretty simple and basic in my every day just because I'm a mom and I get busy, and I know, for you, Joseph, you have kind of like a uniform, right, like you really do all black head to toe.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But he's inspiring to me in that way because I feel like he just gives you permission to dress without any fear. Is that fair to say?
Speaker 2: You know? I'm also just kind of wondering if like the machismo. Now now I'm curious, right, I wonder if the maucheesemos watching this didn't think that this was his style but more like a stage But like, I think this was really how you address And I wonder if people thought it was, like you know, how we see Lady Gaga dress on stage. It's like a different scene, right, I wonder if people thought that about these looks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I do think that pop stars in general get a pass because their stage persona is not necessarily their real life persona, right, Like Beyonce talks about this all the time. Right when she's on stage, She's not Beyonce, she's Sasha Fears. You kind of almost have to step into this like alternate ego to perform at that level. But what I think is so amazing about him is, you know, now in twenty twenty four, we have all these conversations about gender fluidity and how disruptive people like Bad Bunny and Harry's styles.
Speaker 2: And don't bring up Harry styles.
Speaker 1: Wait I have to bring up Harry styles. Hold, but we talk about how disruptive they are, and you know, we're talking about it in twenty twenty four. I mean, they're they are like barely making a dent because Wanghi's was revolutionary at that time to be doing that. I mean, I know, we give a lot of credit to these men, but like, if you really want to give credit, like we're going to need to go back, Like we're going to need to honor the true disruptor, and that's Juan Gabriel because at this time, the only other person that was doing this was really Elton John. And remember he was doing that as a man who was living his authentic life. People understood that he had boyfriends and he was fully out and that was in the US, not in Mexico. So if you think about how groundbreaking Juan Gabriel was for the time, I mean, you got to put some respect on his name, whether you're a fan of his music or not. Like that in itself is iconic.
Speaker 2: I'm curious if they've archived any of this, Like if you could like go to this museum to see all of his original custom pieces. Like we're going on trip, bitch, We're gonna go find his outfits.
Speaker 1: Stay tuned for Uncovering Wangabriel's Outfits the podcast. It's so true, it's so true, and I think it's just amazing. I mean, you know, as somebody that covers the red carpet. I'm deep in that all the time, and I love seeing what these guys are doing, like Bedro, Pascal, Austin Butler, Timothy Shalamey, Harry's styles, like what they've worn at met Gallas past. I was so deep in research when we were pulling together this episode. There's even an entire reddit. Okay, and I know you probably don't go on it, but there's an entire reddit called the theory of Wangabriel and Harry's Styles as Outfits, and they actually do side by sides of Wanga's look and Harry's look. And what's amazing is in one of the photos Harry is actually performing in Mexico City and what is he's wearing. He is basically wearing a mariachi fit inspired by Wanga. There is full fringe along the sleeves of the jacket, just like Wanga's jacket, and it has that same floral that you saw in check Us. So try to tell me that Harry style is not fully fully stealing and borrowing from one GI's he is fact, I mean he is, he is, and Harry styles people can come for me. All I know is that Harry got so much inspo from him. You guys have to find this reddit.
Speaker 2: Harry Styles Stylists. We are onto you.
Speaker 1: Harry Styles Stylist is just one. Hey the man. I feel like we could do an entire episode just on Wangabdiha's fashions.
Speaker 2: But wait, I was about to start it. I was about to be like, let's do it, let's go.
Speaker 1: You guys can meet us on Instagram Live for that. But we've got to wrap up the show, so please stick around because next week we're diving into the end of one Gabie's life and the incredible legacy that he's left behind. Thanks for listening, and we'll catch you here next week on Becoming an Icon. Becoming an Icon is presented by and I Heeart's Michael Kuda podcast Network. Listen to Becoming an Icon on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcast, or wherever you get your podcast