Speaker 1: Hey, that folks. In this episode, we watched them. So you don't have to welcome to part one of our best picture previews if you will here on Amy and TJ. Rhodes. Every single year we all end up in the same position, now, is it. It can't just be us Where you get around to Oscar stile, you ask that question, have you seen any of the Oscar movies?
Speaker 2: And usually I say I saw one of them. I mean that's usually at best case, I've seen two. It's I feel like a universal experience to see the list come down and say what what picture?
Speaker 1: So it's not just us, is it?
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: So you got ten movies this year, so we watched them, folks, So you don't have to the Oscars coming up just days away now. But if you were to sit down today, right now and start watching all ten Oscar movies, it would take you one four hundred and eighty nine minutes twenty five hours and nine minutes.
Speaker 2: So a full day of not sleeping.
Speaker 1: This is the longest collective runtime of Oscar movies in history. These were long, long movies, not a single one under two hours.
Speaker 2: They were long, and most of them, if not all, of them dealt with extremely heavy topics.
Speaker 1: Was there a happy movie in here?
Speaker 2: Wicked?
Speaker 1: Well, even at the end, I was kind of pissed.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a cliffhanger, so you can watch part two.
Speaker 1: All of them now. And that's the full disclosure. We didn't see a single one of these movies in the theater.
Speaker 2: We did not. We only saw them at home streaming.
Speaker 1: Okay, second full disclosure here. We didn't have a desire to see any of the ten nominated movies except for one, and that was you.
Speaker 2: I wanted to see Wicked in theaters. And it's funny because my daughters and my friends all saw it without me, and I knew that I was not gonna drag you into the theater to see that one. I mean maybe if I had it really begged and said please, pretty please. I knew my only chance was Sabine and.
Speaker 3: She saw it with me.
Speaker 2: So I was then left to see it finally with you under a work assignment. Okay, so I was very happy.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I but I would have gone to that movie with you. But I'm making the point there that out of all ten of these movies, there's not a single one that I would have registered say, hey, go to the theater and watch. Yes, we're big horror movie fans. It's pretty much exclusively all we watched in the theater. But that's weird to feel that none of these ten movies appealed to me enough that I wanted to go to a theater.
Speaker 2: I actually, because you just said that, I need to make an exception. I actually would have seen two in the theaters. I would have seen Wicked, and I absolutely would have seen The Substance and wanted to and was begging you to see it in the theaters with me. Do you remember that? And I kept saying I want to see the Substance to the point where it became a joke, and you were teasing me like, oh, let me guess you want to see the Substance.
Speaker 1: Are you glad we didn't see it in the theater? I?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, you would have been even more angry.
Speaker 1: Okay, we this mony that might have caused a relationship altering incident. Was it even the two of us?
Speaker 2: But we'll get I could never have anticipated it. But it turns out, yes, that actually could have been tripped, and.
Speaker 1: So it's not just us. I should tell you now, these movies a lot of people didn't see them. And I say that because a lot of wide mainstream audiences did not. The collective group made two point seven billion dollars at the box office. That sounds good, sounds great, but that is almost two billion dollars less than last year's movies.
Speaker 2: Wow, and probably almost all from Wicked.
Speaker 1: A lot Wicked and Done drove a lot of this. Now. Of course, last year we did have Oppenheimer and Barbie going head to head. That was a big deal Barbarenheimer. But still this was a drop. A lot of folks just didn't see these movies. So, folks, that's why we are here now, so you don't have to sit for twenty five hours and twenty nine minutes and watch all these movies. So we're gonna split it up. In this episode we're gonna do five, and the next episode will do five. But the five we're doing today for you, A Nora the Brutalist, a Complete Unknown, Nickel Boys, and Milia Perez are the five movies we'll get into. And we're getting a little help. It's just not me, Me and Robes here. We have a little diversity of voices here in the room, wrote Emma Sidney and Andy are three producers. They went through this exercise with us and watched all of these movies. First up is Anara, which has some momentum. Right now, Robes take it away.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's been nominated for six Oscars Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Original Screenplay, and Best Editing and Starring Mikey Madison, Mark Edelstein. Directed by Sean Baker. The synopsis of the movie is this. It's a young sex worker. She marries the son of a Russian oligarch on a whim it happened at that famous chapel in Vegas. Hilarity, heart and havoc all in sue when her new husband's parents God I loved the mom in this hear about the marriage and rush to the United States on their private plane from Russia to force them to annul the marriage. Box office gross thirty seven point six million dollars. And you can stream it as we did on video and demand to get to pay for it. But if you wait till March seventeenth, you can watch it on Hulu if you subscribe to that and it comes in. Actually is not even close to being one of the longest two hours and nineteen minutes, and it really did great with Rotten Tomatoes. I'm a big fan of looking at the score ninety three percent. It's already won a lot of awards, the Top Prize at the can Film Festival, the Palm d'ore, Best Picture at the Critics' Choice Awards, and Spirit Awards, Top Prize at WGAPGA DGA. So this is a film. It's one of the front runners for Best Picture.
Speaker 1: All right, So I'll start over there with you, Andy and go through all three of you. All. First impression of Honora was I thought it was good, am I first impression bored? Wow, loved it, Rokes, I.
Speaker 2: Thought it was incredible and riveting.
Speaker 1: Shockingly good. I wasn't prepared for this one. So who over there? Okay, we got Emma. We'll start with you. You actually said bored. Now, what wasn't about this movie that didn't do it for you?
Speaker 4: I wasn't entirely interested in the plot. It kind of was slow to me, and so I stopped halfway through.
Speaker 2: Wow, you don't like sexy dances nudity, and.
Speaker 1: We should mention that that this was a lot of nudity in this movie. I mean, look, it's just you start, sit down and watch an Oscar movie. I didn't know enough about what it was about, but it's about a sex worker, so shocking. There was nudity and sex in it, but there is a lot of it. Andy You, your response to it was how good luke warm?
Speaker 3: I thought it was like I really wanted to love the movie, like I've like. I went into it saying, like, oh my god, it's going to be so good. Everyone was talking about Mikey Madison and how great her performance was, and I went in I think maybe expecting too much out of it. I watched The Florida Project other movie, and it's kind of the same thing he does, like very realistic takes on it, so you can't expect I don't know, crazyness from these types of movies that he makes. But yeah, I think I went in expecting too much and then was bummed out.
Speaker 1: See but we didn't know anything about it, Robes you and I. But we were in a theater and we saw a preview of Anora, like wow, that looks awesome, but we still never went to see it. But it looked incredible to me at the time.
Speaker 2: Yes, even the trailers that I saw I was intrigued, and then we actually got recommendations from two of my friends saying, including my daughter, saying, you will love this movie.
Speaker 1: And just like Sidney loved it. Now, why why is your buddy sitting next to you, Emma there? How is it possible that YouTube? Yeah? What would you tell her?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: How did she not like this movie? That's shocking to me?
Speaker 5: I well, very different from Andy. I had no I never saw the trailer. I didn't know anything going into it. I was like not on my phone the entire time.
Speaker 2: I loved it.
Speaker 5: I was so invested in the story. I was so invested in Anora, Like I just loved her so much and I wanted her to come out on top. And I thought Mikey Madison was like beyond incredible, like that performance, the accent, everything, like she was so real to me and I just I thought she was beyond.
Speaker 3: It's interesting you say the accent, because that was the one part for me growing up in this area. I was like, she keeps slipping out of it. Where is she from? And I'm like, this is California. I know it's California, Like this is California pretending to be New Yorker. It's not like organ there my cousin Vinnie girl.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Marissa Tomey when.
Speaker 3: She's in that. My cousin Vinnie never slips because she's from Brooklyn. This one, there were a couple of words where she like talking.
Speaker 2: Oh, that was funny. I mean, you know, I'm a transplant, but I've been here for more than twenty years, and I was fooled into thinking that her accent was spot on. But I will say I I was so invested because I thought the storytelling was so great and the acting was so phenomenal that I actually felt like I wasn't even watching a movie. It was almost as if I was watching a documentary. And I was blown away at the whull time mobility that Mikey Madison showed just physically to do what she did. I mean, I imagine.
Speaker 1: There's exotic dancing on the level of you have to have an athleticism that No, that's impressive, so impressive.
Speaker 2: And I also was, as you pointed out, Sydney rooting for her. And I thought, especially the ending, and we don't want to give it away, but it had so much heart, ye so much heart in life.
Speaker 1: This is not just hyperbole because it's recent. There has never been that few seconds of a movie that tore my heart out but also made me love the movie. There there is as that scene in this There is a scene in this movie that I was not expecting and you get it and you understand and it fucking it crushes you in that moment and it's just beautifully done. So that's that. Mikey Madison, she is my hands down. We'll get into it later, but she I am rooting for that young lady.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I am too, and I just thought she she did such an incredib job and for anyone I think there was Obviously there was a lot of messages, but we're also quick to judge and to put people in boxes and to assume we know what they're thinking or what their motivations are. And that movie just blows your mind with expanding it. All Right, So what we're gonna do at the end of each movie that we discussed, We're going to ask you if you would recommend this movie to your friends and why So, I guess we'll start with you, Emma.
Speaker 4: Well, for context for why I didn't particularly like it, it's because I was looking for a romance movie something that was light, and I saw romance in.
Speaker 2: The description, what this is hilarious? And so I clicked it while I was doing laundry, and then I.
Speaker 4: Realized I was in an intense sex worker movie and I was not ready for it. You wanted a light rom com, so I was totally unprepared and I couldn't snap out of I was just disappointed that that.
Speaker 2: Was the movie i'd bought. Okay, expectation make all the difference, So that makes a lot of sense. So now that you know what the movie is and you watched it, would you recommend this to your friends and why.
Speaker 4: I would recommend it. But I would want to watch it with them because I want to do over, so that's why i'd recommend it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel the same way. Like I wrote this down while I was watching it. I think it's like for me, one of the higher watchability ones, Like I look forward to seeing it on TV and like just mindlessly watching because there are so many funny parts to the movie and I did love the ending so much, so I think it has a really big rewatchability scale. It's just for me personally, Like I said, maybe going in with less expectations this next time, I would just be like, great, loved it ten out of ten.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that's really interesting because I think there's only two movies on this list that I think I could ever like watch again, which would be Anra and Wicked, And I would one hundred percent recommend it to my friends. I already have, like, I just love that movie.
Speaker 1: I would absolutely and I would say stick with this movie and stick with honor through the end, and you will fall in love with this girl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree. I have already recommended it and I will as well because I just also if you just love incredible writing and phenomenal acting, this is a movie for.
Speaker 1: You, all right. Next up on our list, we got the Brutalists. Woo oh my goodnesss all right. This one is nominated for ten Oscars All The Big Ones Best Picture, Best direct Or, Best Actor, starring Adrian Brodie, Felicity Jones, Guy Pierce, directed by Brady Corbett. This is about a Jewish architect who flees post war Europe to come find the American dream not going great, but then a mysterious and wealthy client changes everything. Now, this one may thirty one point six million dollars at the Box Office. If you want to watch it, it is available to rent or buy video and demand right now. The runtime three hours and thirty five minutes that includes a fifteen minute in a mission. It's rotten Tomato score ninety four has won some major awards, including Best Director, Actor and Drama at the Golden Globes, also Best Director Best Actor at the BAFTA's Robes. I'll start with you on this one. First impression of the Brutalists brutal Sydney.
Speaker 3: Tough watch Emma, too long, complicated.
Speaker 1: Heavy as hell would be my first impression. It's I don't you have to start here with Adrian Brody. He is just phenomenal start to finish. Every single scene you can't take your eyes off of him. But this one look, that runtime has to turn some people off.
Speaker 2: Oh, we would never have sat down and watched it. We haven't watched Oppenheimer because it's too long. I mean, let's just be honest.
Speaker 1: Stop.
Speaker 2: I mean, I just need to admit it. This was a labor of duty to get through this. And it's not to take away from the art and the acting and the cinematography. I mean it was all beautiful and something you would expect of a Best Picture nominee. However, it just went on for so long, and the themes were very heavy. I think I started to make a list of these themes, and we're talking about Obviously it's set just after or actually towards the end of the Holocaust. Then you have heroin or opium addiction. I'm not really sure what it was that he was injecting in himself. There was possible overdose. There was prostitution, there was like sex addiction.
Speaker 1: There was disease.
Speaker 2: There was osteoporosis that was debilitating that I didn't even know that could happen with that disease. There was rape. It was heavy, it was.
Speaker 1: But I think a friend of ours recommended it and she said, you know, it kind of just flies by. I get what she was saying. I didn't find necessarily, and for you all down there as well. I didn't find even though it was three hoursan and third of five as long. I didn't find it to have any unnecessary scenes. I didn't find that there was too much that so that went too long. Everything still seemed to contribute to the story in some way. That's me Andy. You had some I.
Speaker 3: Think personally it would have been better served as like an HBO mini series because the first half I was in, like I was so in and invested, and the second half crammed so much in that I just kind of felt lost watching it, Like where is all of this coming from? Like the wife really added such an element to it. Yes, coming to the country, and then they go to Italy and You're just like, so much is happening where? I feel like if I got a six hour HBO mini series, I could have really appreciated it a lot more.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it felt like parts were cut towards the end, and I would have liked to have seen weird, like a longer cut to get some more backstory.
Speaker 1: Wow, where were you give me the redeeming part of Sydney of the movie? What did you like about it?
Speaker 5: Everyone's talking about this, but just the cinematography and like just the visual aspect of it, Like that was something I have never seen before ever, and it was just it was like so crazy to see. And I also saw online that they shot it in thirty four days, which I'm like, that is like unbelievable to me. And like the budget was like super low. It was like under ten million or ten million, which is like so crazy for me to think about. But yeah, the way that it was shot, I know it was like some special camera or something, but like was so beautiful to me to see.
Speaker 2: Uh, Emma, you haven't waited yet.
Speaker 4: I'm I'm the most intrigued by the use of AI during this film because I think with my generation, we've AI was introduced in school to us because there was no way around it. And I think with older generations people are still adjusting to the way that it's impacting people's jobs in acting because it's being used. But I think that it's out there and it and it's meant to be used, and so I'm for the use of AI enhancing a production and enhancing a film, especially to make something more realistic. If an actor can't correctly have the Hungarian.
Speaker 1: Accent, I am I and I see it. I like, I don't know how any I don't know how anything will be able to replicate what Adrian Brodie makes me feel when I watch him on film, Like I can't take my eyes off him. This was this movie was It's so there. I don't know, is there any joy in this movie? Is Are there any there's a taut story.
Speaker 2: There's a true love story, but it's it's very flawed and he was a flawed character, but they loved each other and that did resonate throughout the film.
Speaker 1: And we don't want to harp on the fact that it's as long as it is, like that's a negative thing. This is it probably should win the Oscar. It is a beautiful movie. It is it just it's movie making on this type, this scale is stunning to watch it. I'm glad we watched it. It took us seventeen hours and fifty minutes to watch a three hour and thirty five minute move. It did because at one point we needed a break, like, oo.
Speaker 2: Let's get them cleanse our palate with married at first Sight.
Speaker 1: Yes, And then we got back to and then we fell asleep on it. We woke up a mound and we had to do a podcast, and then we had it going.
Speaker 2: It winded a couple of times too, did We ended up turning on the closed captioning, which we don't often do. But sometimes when you're having to focus on a movie that's that complex, sometimes it's helpful to not have to rewind an already long movie by just putting up the closed captioning and knowing what they said. I also want to give a nod to Felicity Jones. I thought she was phenomenal and Guy Pearce was just incredible. I mean everyone in that cast nailed their performance and you did feel like again, I was watching a documary and that always, to me is like the best way to say the acting was so good. I forgot I was watching something that someone had to memorize lines.
Speaker 1: For This and Doom two are probably the two movies. Just looking at them, I'm in awe of movie making. It's pretty incredible. So with that Robes, if you had to, would you recommend The Brutalists to a friend? And why? Hmmm?
Speaker 2: I would decide between my friends are among my friends who to recommend it to not to because you do have to have a love of cinema. I really think you have to have an appreciation for movie making to enjoy this movie, because I think if you're looking for just a quick fix of entertainment, which so many of us are, this is not the movie for you. But if you actually enjoy the art of filmmaking and cinema, then I would recommend it to you because it is something beautiful to witness, and I am glad I watched it. But I know most of my friends I would probably say, you might want to skip that one.
Speaker 1: Sydney recommend it, and why.
Speaker 5: I couldn't recommend it just because I couldn't get through it myself. So I just don't think that where did you stop?
Speaker 2: It was like an hour in.
Speaker 5: I think, oh, so, yeah, we're not once to talk on this one.
Speaker 1: Okay, then what was your answer to you? What would you say?
Speaker 4: Well, I believe that any movie that is up for so many wards, like The Brutalist is, I would absolutely recommend because I think it's worth a watch, and I'm kind of on the same tract of how beautiful it is that I think it would be best picture.
Speaker 3: I would recommend it to certain people for sure. I also thought it was a real movie up until the intermission, and I looked over at the person I was watching it with and I was like, I keep looking at Doyle's Town, like where is this place? And they were like, Babe, there is no Doyles Town.
Speaker 1: This is not a.
Speaker 3: Real sculpture being built. This is not a real story. And I was like, Okay, I thought it was saying, are we.
Speaker 2: Sure this wasn't a real architect? It seemed it did seem like a biopic.
Speaker 3: I was looking for this mega audit turium chapel whatever they were building thing in Doylestown and then was shocked when none of that was real.
Speaker 2: How about you? Would you recommend it?
Speaker 1: I would man so many asterisks next to it right when you do? So? This was an amazing movie. It just is. It's and I'm such a wit. Daniel day Lewis those, Denzel Washington, there, Anthony Hopkins. There are some guys that just like Mount Rushmore type Oscar guys. I mean, Adrian Brody in this performance is everything. He is just everything. So yes, that's how I would recommend it. You watch this guy do his thing, and it's a very cool movie.
Speaker 2: All right, we are going to move on now to a complete unknown. This is nominated for eight Oscars Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress, Sound Costume Design, Adapted Screenplay, starring Oh the heart Throb that He Is, Timothy Chalomey, El Fanning, Edward Norton, and Monica Barbarro. Directed by James Mangold, This is a film that follows the early nineteen sixties rise of a young Bob Dylan who arrives in New York as a while, as the title will suggest, a complete unknown. This one did really well at the box office one hundred and five million. It arrives on video on demand this week the week of the Oscars. Yes, and the runtime two hours and twenty minutes. Rotten Tomatoes score eighty one percent. A lot of nominations in all of the major categories, but there have been no major wins. However, Timothy Challomey won Best Actor at the SAG Awards, and that was considered an upset because a lot of folks are just anticipating that Adrian Brody was just going to do a clean sweep. But challo May was able to get that SAG.
Speaker 1: There's a mystery now about Sunday because the SAG Awards is the one though those are the actors themselves are voting on this, and they make up a big portion of the OSCAR voting. Wow, it's Timothy Chalomte might pull off an upset first impression of a complete unknown. We have to direct that to one person in particular. I think only one of the five of us have seen, right, That would be me, Emma. That's our thing, dear Emma, And we should say the reason we haven't seen it's still in theater. They haven't released it yet video on demand, or it's being released. I think as we recorded this, yeah it is so we just haven't been able to get out to a theater and see it. But we still wanted to speak on it. Emma, you can speak on it. First impression was what amazing. Wow.
Speaker 4: I saw the movie in December in theaters, which I think adds so much value being away from distractions, dark right in your face. But I also went into it not knowing anything about Bob Dylan. I never really followed his music. I've just listened to it. And the movie painted him in a good light. And when I talked to my parents after the movie and my grandparents, they they thought it painted him in a better light than he actually was when he was younger.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: So it made me like him even more I did, But other people were kind of annoyed by the way that it made him seem like a better person than he was.
Speaker 1: See. I don't know enough of the backstore his history, Like it's just interesting to hear how people in her own family receive this guy differently, and that was your first introduction to him.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh wow. And it's interesting, Emma, because you are twenty three. So my daughters are twenty two and eighteen, and they raced to the movie theaters to see this as well in December and came back just with a glowing review of how much they loved the movie. But I wondered how much of it is that I'm not taking away from the movie or its value or its reception. But I can just speak for my daughters. They're huge Timothy Shalomey fans.
Speaker 4: Huge, and the fact that he pre recorded his songs but then also sang all of his songs live in so which the director chose to keep some of the live performances in, as well as Monica's who played Joan Baez. Blown away by his ability to sing like Bob Dylan and by Monica to sing with fake teeth that resembled Joan Biez's teeth.
Speaker 2: That's incredible. This is one that I actually when it is available, I do want to watch it. I think enough has been said I would. I was actually upset that I didn't get to see this one in time. For this podcast because I it has also been on Hey when this is available, I want to see it? You all? Will you watch it? Andy? Will you watch it?
Speaker 5: I'm so excited to watch it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree with you. I really want to see it.
Speaker 1: It's funny.
Speaker 3: I actually had no interest in seeing it, and then I heard everybody saying it was such a great movie that I'm like, I'm invested.
Speaker 1: Now, that's what I know. It's a horror movie, is the usually the answer here? But why we didn't want to go to the theater?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: We're gonna move on to Nickel Boys, Now nominated for two Oscars Best Picture and Best Adapted Screenplay, starring Ethan Harresey, Brandon Williams, and angeenue Ellis Taylor. Directed by Ramel Ross. Based on a Pulitzer Prize winning novel, the story follows two young African American men who are sent to an abusive reform school during the Jim Crow era. This made at the box office two point six million dollars. You're hearing this right that this was a tiny and independent film. Here. It is available now video on demand. It's still in very few theaters this week, but you can find it runtime two hours, twenty minutes ritten Tomato score ninety percent. It has gotten a slew of Best Picture nominations, but it has not pulled off any upsets and won the top prize. Everybody here saw Nicol Boyce correct Sidney, what was your first impression?
Speaker 2: Not for me? YEA, I didn't see it.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, nice, Yeah, you were busy watching Bob Dylan.
Speaker 3: I'd say, incredible, incredible ropes.
Speaker 2: I'm going to agree with Sydney. It just wasn't for me. I loved the story, but the execution of it was difficult for me to watch visually, and.
Speaker 1: My first impression was just uncomfortable watching. So we talked about the ropes you hit on here. So we talked about this is Jim crow Era, and this is about an abusive reform school. But it's shot in a first person way that is creative and clever and cool, or it's distracting and annoying on the other side.
Speaker 2: I like the concept of it, the idea that you were actually watching a movie as if you are living in that actor's body, so your vision, your lenses are their eyes. And I like the concept of that. But what ended up happening is I felt a little like I needed to take some dramamine. It was.
Speaker 1: It moved aunt.
Speaker 2: It's you know, as you do when you're moving around. The camera isn't still. It isn't even like a smooth it's jerky, and it goes on and on back and forth between two young men, and it was confusing sometimes whose eyes I was looking through? Yeah, yeah, it was just for me. It was a little jarring from a just spatial awareness perspective, but also I was confused in the storytelling sometimes.
Speaker 1: All right, what did y'all any, Sidney, what did y'all think about that first person thing they were doing?
Speaker 5: I liked that they did something different, but it just did not work for me, and I couldn't. I just couldn't get into it, Like I just I couldn't. And it's so interesting that you said incredible, because I feel like that's the perspective that I've heard from people who have seen it. It's either love love love, or like me and Amy are saying, like could not get into it wasn't for them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think at first I was It's like, oh, I didn't know it was going to be like this, and the first person point of view kind of was like a little jarring of fish, like I'm gonna watch the whole thing through their eyes. But I think it's such a vital part of the storytelling and so important on how the story is told to make you feel uncomfortable or just like you're in the scene with them. So I personally came around to it entirely, and I think it made it brilliant, and I am so shocked that it's not winning more.
Speaker 1: It's crazy. Brilliant might be a good way. It is brilliant, but still uncomfortable. I am one who wants to go to a movie and be nothing but entertained. Scare me, make me laugh, or fly around, do some action stuff, right, That's me. And so this was and you know the scene towards a certain part where you have a young African American male being chased down in Jim Crow era by a white man with a gun, and it's you're doing that in first person. Now that hits kind of differently, maybe with me having literally been chased by white men in my life. I think that's the point of it is to make people uncomfortable and for you and you and you, you all are sitting to be put in a position of being a black man running from a white man who shooting at you. And I think that's all really beautiful, But it is a it's it's it's a tough watch at times, and it's supposed to be. But the storytelling this again, this is this is movie making at its absolute best.
Speaker 2: No, it is, and I get it. Like if the goal was and it seems as though it was for you to be in someone else's shoes, to be in someone else's body and to feel not just discomfort, but fear and just yeah, the ultimate fear, right, it was compelling. It was just in an effort to do that. It's just it's just hard for me to watch. I'm not even saying like from a from a from a subject matter, obviously that's a given, but even just from a visual point of view, I just had a hard time seeing it through that lens.
Speaker 1: But great storytelling and Andy, Andy, how would you then recommend this to a friend?
Speaker 3: I would absolutely recommend this to people. I think it's an important watch. I highly highly recommend it. And it is actually based off true events. They kind of made their own with the Nickel Academy, but it's based off the Dogier Academy, which was in tallahassee there. Yeah, and honestly, it's I am so shocked this is not winning more.
Speaker 1: And thank you for saying that word. That's I think that's a good way to put it. This is an important watch. That's a good way to put it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I agree. I would recommend it. And just because visually it was not for me, like I think that everyone should give it a watch on their own and see, and like Andy said, it was an important watch.
Speaker 2: I would recommend it as well. But I would just let folks know this is not your typical movie. Just be prepared to, you know, really witness something in a very creative way. And I think if I were prepared more for that, I might have been it might have I might have had a better reception to it.
Speaker 1: And mine would be Yes, certainly, given the heads up about how uncomfortable you could get. But this is one of the more creative movies and storytelling that I've seen. So agree, I would recommend it for that reason.
Speaker 2: All right, And we say that now, yoh boy, let's move on to Amelia Perez right, thirteen Oscars. I mean, this is the most nominated film of the bunch Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress, Best Actress in a Supporting Role, Best Original Song, two for that, Best Original Score, International Feature Film, Makeup and Hairstyling, Sound, Adapted Screenplay, Film editing and Cinematography. WHOA starring Zoe Saldana, Carlo Sophia Gascon, Selena Gomez, and Edgar Ramirez. This was directed by Jacques audiard I. Hope I said that name correctly. This is you know when you tell folks, hey, it's not in English, and it's a musical, and it's about a drug lord who is transitioning to a woman so he can live authentically. He hires a run of a mill lawyer, this is Zoe zel Dania to help him fake his own death, remove himself from his family, and start this new life where he is living authentically. Fifteen point four million box office gross. You can watch it on Netflix exclusively. The runtime is two hours and ten minutes. Rotten Tomatoes score seventy two percent, and so far it's won four Golden Globes, including Best Actress and Best Foreign Language Film at the BAFTAZ. So why don't we go around and give us your first impressions, TJ.
Speaker 1: My first impression was what is happening?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Bizarre?
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, no, bizarre in your face, unexpectedly enjoyable.
Speaker 2: Ah, you know what, that's really good it. I was gonna say, WTF, but I liked it. If that makes a lot of sense. It's one of those movies. Let's just say, I've never seen anything like it in my life, and I wouldn't have been able to even come up with a plot like that. Look it. I think one of my biggest issues was that it seemed ridiculous. It seemed unlikely, it seemed almost impossible, And so that was my biggest hurdle was could this actually? Would this actually? How could this happen? And then when, for instance, there were a couple of scenes when they broke into song, it was just it almost was.
Speaker 1: Comical for me, but there was I think it's okay to your okay, it's a comedy, but it's not supposed to be. It's an action movie, but it's not supposed to be. It's a romance, but it's not supposed to be. It's nothing and it's not supposed to be. All these thing you can't make sense And and you said bizarre, I knew I had an idea of what I know what it was about. It was all this stuff. But still when you start singing in the market at the I was thrown Yeah.
Speaker 3: And also like I would use singing loosely because when you were talking like this and call it saying, I didn't necessarily see it that way.
Speaker 2: Again, I thought he Israel was especially that was awesome. I actually that's when I started laughing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Again, it was bizarre. And I've seen people say, like, that's why they're giving it awards because it really is pushing the limits of filmmaking. But then when you watch something like a Nickel Boys, I maybe appreciate that a little more. But I can still find value in what this movie did. I don't want to like completely say it's like not a watch.
Speaker 1: What was unexpected was your word, I think you said in your face in your faith. Okay, so does that mean you enjoyed it?
Speaker 2: I did enjoy it.
Speaker 4: I was confused again because I didn't know that they would do a crime musical, and so when Zoe Saldana immediately breaks out and singing, I was like, what did I just put on?
Speaker 2: Again by accident?
Speaker 4: And so and then I had to turn the subtitles on because it was in Spanish, so then there was so many elements, like they jammed so much into this movie, which like, it's awesome, I love it, but it might have been a little bit too much for me.
Speaker 1: I was like, I'm finding that Emma was struggling with the synopsis of the.
Speaker 3: Movie this is about you know a drug lord.
Speaker 1: Now, Sidney, when did you start to or did you from the beginning.
Speaker 5: Enjoy it or so all my friends were like, you're not gonna like this movie. We all turned it off halfway through, like you're not gonna like it. You're not gonna like it. So I went in with like a not so good attitude and I loved it. I was like, so go into it. I was completely I'm like, I was completely shocked by how much I liked it. But I don't think the musical aspect was necessary at all, Like it did not bring anything to the movie to me. I like actually liked the story. I was into the story. I didn't think, yeah, I don't know. But when I was like, after I watched all the movies, I like to go on TikTok and like see what other people are saying about it. And one thing that I thought was interesting about this one was that a lot of people were saying that it was a very like stereotypical way to view Mexico and with like the cartel and everything like that, and that they should have they like also shot the entire thing in France, which was like another interesting thing that people brought up.
Speaker 1: There were non there were no Mexican actors, a French director. A lot of people took issue with some of that.
Speaker 2: That was just an interesting Yeah, there was a lot of controversy surrounding this movie from coming in from multiple places, directed at multiple people. But so I think, yes, I was. I had very low expectations. Now I will make this disclay. I love me a musical movie, and I love Broadway, and so I don't mind when people break into song because I don't know. I've enjoyed lots of movies and forms of entertainment where people break into song that is jarring to some people. I think it's entertaining. And when this happened and it still took me by surprise a couple of times. I enjoyed it because it made me lean in more. I was watching more intently because I thought, what are what's happening right now.
Speaker 1: There was a lot of conversational song though right yes, and this point it wasn't like there were some things that barely qualified as singing.
Speaker 2: It was like, I was like, wait, are they singing right now? Because they're kind of going into a weird cadence.
Speaker 3: She was whispering during that one song. I'm like, this is a whisper song.
Speaker 2: I heart talking song. Yes, yes, some people could sing better than others. And it was a little distracting, and yet I leaned in more when that happened, and I would watch it again too. I would watch it again. That's how much I surprisingly liked it.
Speaker 1: It was once again beautiful. I mean, you can't And look, this is the reason I am glad I watched this movie. There is a scene with Zoe Saladonia in that ballroom that she does a song and dance routine that is worth the watch. She fricking kills this scene. I love that scene, like all of Oscar season. That might be my favorite bit of a movie.
Speaker 2: I believe you said when not even Nazi, but when at first arted you said, how did these rehearsals go?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: You would imagine how much work went into that production.
Speaker 1: That scene was incredible, but the movie on its own, it was just bizarre to me for the most part. And I think we talked about the story and what are we trying to say. I know what it's based on and all that, but it's it's like a message out there that felt at times disjointed forced. We're talking about I mean, can you get any more macho than a Mexican cartel lord who now decides to have to transition to a woman that that idea and then become a famous woman who now is battling cartels again, It's that's storytelling.
Speaker 2: That was That was where I got a little I mean, the whole thing is contrived and like I said, unrealistic. But when you are hiding, you fake your own death. You know that if anyone knows you were your former self, that you would likely meet a very very unfortunate fate. That you would then put yourself as a woman out in front of all of these cameras, impressed to then battle cartels or at least to help them find those who they've killed. That seemed even more unrealistic.
Speaker 1: And he's looking at us like that was Yae's problem with the.
Speaker 3: Movie In her family, and she calls herself the aunt like no, no, let's go back.
Speaker 2: And Selena Gomez's character her wife didn't put two and two together.
Speaker 1: Oh look, okay.
Speaker 2: I was still entertained, the entire entertaining.
Speaker 1: So, Emma, I'll start with you. Would you recommend this to her friend? And why?
Speaker 2: I not particularly?
Speaker 4: No, I think there's other movies I would see again and recommend.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: I will say, like you, Amy, I couldn't keep my eyes off of it, and so in a weird way, yes, you would recommend it.
Speaker 1: I would recommend it.
Speaker 2: I would too. I would recommend it. I think it's worth a watch.
Speaker 1: I would recommend it this way. You gotta see this shit like that almost how you would recommend like you ain't gonna believe this, And I would tell you if you don't want to watch it, at least fast forward. There's always sounds on youa scene in that ballroom where she just absolutely crushes it. This is good. We're only halfway through, all right. The next time around, we're going to have Conclave doom too. I'm still here the substance and wicked. That's a good.
Speaker 2: I can't wait. And this is gonna be fun So again, we watched these movies so you don't have to. And I will say this is gonna be a really fun Oscars show for us all here in this room, because when you do watch these movies, you are invested. And we're also in the next episode going to give you our predictions for Best Picture, Best Actress, Best Actor? Are we going to do the supporting roles too?
Speaker 1: The four acting categories and Best Picture?
Speaker 2: All right, we'll let you know where we stand and you all feel free to check any of these out and see what you think your movie review would be and how it compares to ours.
Speaker 1: So for Andy, Emma, Sydney and Rhodes, I'm te Jenny Will for yeas