Speaker 1: The Pittsford Steelers select Roderick Jones, offensive tackle Georgia.
Speaker 2: He is big, he is physical, and he's very light on the street.
Speaker 3: I love his athleticism, love the upside with him. He's got a competitor's mentality. He's wide right for this line of work. He's got a desire to be great.
Speaker 2: Roderick, Welcome to Pittsburgh. I know you were here just a few weeks ago. What's it like being back in this building knowing you're a member of this organization now?
Speaker 3: Man, it's amazing. Just being able to play for the Golden Black again is an amazing feeling. You know, that was my high school color. I feel like I'm at home here. I love the coaching staff, love the whole organization, loved the vibe, loved the energy. So you know, I'm just ready to get everything rolling.
Speaker 2: What was that dinner like with them before your pro day?
Speaker 3: It was good. It was good. You know, a lot of labs, a lot of giggles on, a lot of personalitily shown, so I feel like it was a good dinner. I felt like everybody was in cahoots with each other, so I feel like we had a good time.
Speaker 2: Knowing these trophies, you're going to see them every day when you're going to meetings to work out for practice. What does that mean to you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's time to get another one, you know, That's all it mean to me. It's a good feeling just being able to walk past these and look at them and you know, admire room. But you know, it's even better to have one of your own.
Speaker 2: Sof six of those four is the number of times the Steelers have traded up. What does that mean to you that they didn't want to stay put and they did what they had to do to get up and to make sure that you were their guy, just.
Speaker 3: To show a good faith to me, I believe. So I feel like I have no choice but to come be successful, give one hundred to tempercent every day that I'm here, and just you know, improve to the best of my abilities to help the team.
Speaker 2: In terms of knowing guys, George Pickens, have you talked to him yet?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I talked to him last night.
Speaker 2: Was that special to know that you guys get a chance.
Speaker 3: To play together. Yeah, George, Man, that's my guy. Me and him have a good relationship, so you know, it'd be good to play with him in the team once again.
Speaker 2: You know, So what has it been like for you? It's kind of crazy when you're getting ready for the draft, the combat and it's just such a hustle. But now you know where you're going and then you have maybe like a week break and then you're back into it.
Speaker 3: I had enough time to break. I'm ready to get to it. You're ready, Yeah, I'm ready.
Speaker 2: All right, let's head down to the locker room.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 2: All right, you're gonna have one of these lockers very soon. Kenny Pickett is welcoming and everybody, whether it's free agents or draft guys. Have you talked to him yet as well?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I talked to him. He shot me at tax last night. You know, just congratulate me, telling me, you know that he's ready to work, you know, and get ready for the big season that's coming up and you know, big things.
Speaker 2: I like that you describe yourself as physical, dominant. You just have that toughness that people embrace here in Pittsburgh. What else do stealers fans not know about you and what you can bring?
Speaker 3: Just a finesse to my game. Everything that I do has you know, many different I got many different attributes, so you know, you just got to watch and see. But I play the game so physical, so dominant. Some people say I got sweet feet, so you know that's something new. But I get that from my athleticism, from basketball and stuff, so you know, I think I can relate to this sweet feet there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wanted to ask you about basketball. How much does that translate and help in the position that you play in football?
Speaker 3: A lot? Because playing old line is really all about footwork and technique, so it's a really big factor.
Speaker 1: All right, cool, let's head down to the practice fields. Go on, all right, let's get out here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, talk to me about about what practice is like in Georgia. That's like basically ones on ones NFL players going against NFL players day in and day out all the time.
Speaker 3: Man, you know, you have no choice but to get better at the University of Georgia, and practice does that because, like you said, it's one on one all the time, good on good. We have so many different types of players, so many different styles of play, and everybody's physical. You know, that's the standard that Georgia physical and fast. So you know, Georgia molded me into who I am today at the end of the day, and I believe it helped me grow into my playing style and as a man as well.
Speaker 2: Played on the left side, practice at the right. Is that what you were saying.
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah, I practiced at the right mostly, but I did play a couple of games that right tackle.
Speaker 2: Okay, so do you have a preference.
Speaker 3: No, I'm a football player. Wherever the team need me off the field.
Speaker 2: I have to ask about the pet snakes. That might be the one fun fact that we have to cover here. How did this come about?
Speaker 3: Just hanging around my friend back in high school he had one, got used to holding his and you know, just playing with his. So then I got one on my own, and then another one came along that was twelve feet bigger than the other one. Okay, but you know, I think snakes hold a bad reputation, but they're not bad animals at all. I think it's just a perception that people got on.
Speaker 2: So you still have one? Was it with you in college?
Speaker 3: They stayed at my house back home, just because I really never had any time. My family had got so used to taking care of it.
Speaker 2: I just became part of the family.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Well, thanks for your time, Welcome to Pittsburgh h