Speaker 1: Amazon has its first Kindle with a color screen, a new iPad many from Apple, but they didn't improve one key feature, and how to enable Android's new theft detection feature. Plus your tech questions answered. What's going on. I'm Rich Demiro and this is Rich on Tech. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology. I believe the tech should be interesting, useful and fun. Let's open up those phone lines at triple A Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. All right, we got some great guests this week. We're gonna talk to swan dot COM's CEO, Corey Clipston. He's gonna talk about bitcoin and the current state of the cryptocurrency market. I went to the Bitcoin Day this week, and uh, it's quite interesting to see all the bitcoin getting together. They are really into this stuff and it's kind of exciting.
Speaker 2: So we'll talk to Corey.
Speaker 1: Then later in the show, we've got Consumer Reports Suki Golatti to talk permission Slip. This is their tool to help you reduce your digital footprint and protect your online privacy. Suki will join us a little bit later in the show. Well, it is fall, it is spooky time, it's pumpkin patch time. Went to the pumpkin patch with the kids last night, had a nice time. It was a little emptier than previous years. But it's one of those traditions that I grew up on the East Coast, always going to the pumpkin patch and taken. We did a lot of haunted hay rides there. But my kids California, it's a little bit different because sometimes you go to the pumpkin patch and it's like eighty degrees. Thankfully, last night it was not. That was fun always, you know, it's just tradition. Gotta do the tradition. On Instagram, by the way, I was just posting something and I don't know if you noticed this, but when you go into your stories, when you look at the top, there's like little bats that fly around on the lettering.
Speaker 2: So I was like, what is that? What is that? What is that?
Speaker 1: And so if you look at that, it's actually Halloween writing. So if you go to my Instagram at rich On Tech you can see I used it.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: It's a classic kind of like Halloween writing, and you have to scroll all the way to the left. Let's see what it's called. Let's see here, so go here create, let's see. Oh you got to post a picture first. Well, I'm glad I'm doing this on live radio. Very very exciting. All right, tap that. Oh it's just called Halloween writing.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: It's funny too whenever I go to these events, I've been testing phones for so long. To me, it's all about when I look back in my pictures and my Google Photos, It's all about the progression of the cameras. Like I've been taking pictures of my kids at the same pumpkin patch for ten years, and it's like back in the day, the pictures were just so bad.
Speaker 2: They didn't look bad back then.
Speaker 1: Now they look bad, and so I see that progression of Like last night, I was using the new iPhone sixteen pro and it's like, oh, wow, these look pretty good. A little tip by the way, I was organizing. I'm always organizing my Google Photos collection.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Google Photos is my preferred way to store my photos. Always looking for ways to kind of like delete stuff out of there that I don't need anymore.
Speaker 2: And I found a pretty good search.
Speaker 1: Just search for the word blurry, and it'll bring up all the pictures that hurt, like nonsense, blurry pictures that you've taken over the years, and you could just go through and delete a bunch of those. It also brings up blurry videos, and that's a good way to just kind of prune. I love pruning. That's like in some people might prune their plants outside. No, I'm just pruning like my Google photos collection all day every day. I thought this was interesting. Today I was filling up my water bottle from the fridge and I noticed that the filter, which seems to go very fast, needed a replacement. And you know, I've got these Amazon Echoes around the house. I've been telling you about how I replaced a bunch of my Sono speakers, which I'm still enjoying, by the way. I love the voice control on those things. But every once in a while, the Amazon Echo will have like a green light on it and I'm like, all right, you got me, like, Alexa, what do you thinking?
Speaker 2: And that's what I say to it.
Speaker 1: And it's like, I've got a notification you seem to be running out of your whatever that you ordered six months ago, and it's been pretty spot on with some of the things. And I said, you know what, actually you can help me right now. Can you reorder my water filter for the fridge? And sure enough, she brought up the old one that I've ordered over the past couple of years and said, here it is. It's forty dollars. Would you like me to place the order for you? And I said sure. Well, first she said I'll put it in the car, and I said, well, actually, you can go ahead and order that, and so she just went ahead and said, okay, I have placed the order, which I thought was incredible. I mean, I get it. They put all these Alexas, these echo speakers in people's homes, hoping that they would one day order items from them.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure how many.
Speaker 1: People actually do that, but I did. And it's kind of fun, kind of easy because it knows what you've ordered in the past, so it just defaults to that. And so I thought of a cruel prank, which do not do this. But what if you were at someone's house and you just ordered stuff off their echo. I mean, are these things like linked to their actual voice. I'm not sure they are. Do not do this, Please, do not say, rich On Tech told you to do this, but I'm just you know, my mind goes to, like all the different ways that this could be used nefariously, and that's one of them. I mean, it's like, these things are everywhere anyway, don't do that. You can always cancel the order, but I mean, it's just kind of a weird prank to play on your friends. Something else I tried this week, I flew back to New Jersey.
Speaker 2: Last week's show was from New Jersey.
Speaker 1: You know, I do these shows live, so I love being live no matter where I am. But I'm back here in Los Angeles today. But I did try something new. I'm always trying something. Whatever is available, I will try it because I love technology. I'm just going to see how this stuff works. So TSA pre check they have this thing called touchless ID. While you're checking in, it's like, hey, do you want to go touchless? I'm like, all right, let me try it. I've tried the digital ID, I've tried just about everything they offer, but I was like, let me try touchless. So basically, you use your face for recognition at the TSA pre check line instead of your ID. And so I said, all right, let's try it. So I get to the pre check and there's two separate lines. One is the touchless ID which uses your face and your boarding pass has like a green outline around it to like signify that you've opted into this. Because you can't do it at the airport, you have to do it at check in. So the line was like significantly shorter than the regular pre check line, which is significantly shorter than the regular security line. And so I get up to the front and of course I'm like waiting for the person to be like, we don't do that, but they said, okay, stand there, take your picture.
Speaker 2: You take a picture.
Speaker 1: You't have to take anything out, you don't have to show anything, and somehow it scans your face. Next thing, you know, okay, you can go checks against your boarding pass, which is pretty impressive. So I was wondering how this worked, right, because where do they get my picture from. I didn't submit a picture to anyone. I'll tell you about that in a second. But then when on the way back, I saw that you can do a self bag tag with just your face, and so I was like, all right, well, let me take this to the next level.
Speaker 2: Let me check in my bags without showing anything.
Speaker 1: You know, usually when you check in your bag, unless you're going like first class, you know you have a person. But usually if you're just going the regular class like everyone else like I am, typically you just go up to a little machine. You type in your number or you scan your barcode, and it spits out the bag tag and bag. Some places I've seen were actually tag it yourself, Like when I was coming back from Hawaii, I actually literally put the bag tag on my bag, like I am an airline employee now, like I'm trained to do this stuff, and you know, my bag made it. But you know, sometimes with the airline, usually the airline I fly typically has someone that does it for you. Anyway, I stand in front of this little machine, takes a picture of my face and it says okay, and it spits out the bagtag. Someone comes from behind the scenes and they put the thing on my bag and that's it. Didn't have to show my ID to verify it's me because they already did.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 1: I asked the person, I said, hey, where are you getting my picture from for all this technology? And they said, oh, it's from your passport, so yeah, sure enough. I looked up a little bit more information. TSA pre check touchless identity solution is being test. It's totally optional, it's opt in if you want to do it. It compares your live facial images to pre existing government photo IDs, So guessing that's your passport most of the time, unless you've submitted something else, maybe during pre check. I guess you did have to submit a picture. It's currently being tested at some airports with Delta and United. You can opt in during your mobile check in and they collect data including your live photo, your passport number, and your known traveler numbers. They say the information is anonymized, encrypted and deleted within one hundred and eighty days. And of course this is all aiming to enhance security and streamline the verification process. So I don't know, I mean, it's just these little things that are happening in our world that are just progressing.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of pros and cons with all this facial technology, facial recognition, but the reality is they've got it. If you've been uploading your photos to Facebook, to Instagram, maybe even Twitter, all this stuff is being scanned for AI and it's being sliced and diced in a million different ways. Remember Facebook was tagging people in photos years ago. I mean we're talking probably a decade ago. All of a sudden you'd get a thing that said, hey, you showed up in someone's picture, and they'd be like, I didn't tag you in that. It was just automatically applying the tag. So the information's out there. I think moving forward, what's really important is how is this information used. Are the organizations thinking about the privacy of this information? And of course, when you share any information, always be thinking about how private it is, what the implications are of sharing that information, and what could go wrong if that information gets out If my photo that I took at the TSA pre check, you know, gets out there in the world. Not the end of the world. I mean, people already know what I look like. It's really just a general awareness I think you should have about how you're sharing your information and where I would actually argue that sharing your information for one of those like sweepstakes, when you go to like a football game or something. You know, it's like when this new car and you fill out this whole form with like all of your information and all of your identifying information and your your just everything you know how many kids live in your house, your household information. I feel like that is actually going into a bigger database that will be used against you than my photo at the TSA pre check.
Speaker 2: But again, think about this stuff and be aware of this stuff. All right.
Speaker 1: Coming up on the show, we're going to talk a lot of stuff. We've got many many things coming up. I'm going to talk about the new color Kindle. We've got that. Apple also came out with a new iPad Mini, so we've got that. You've got the website that's rich on Tech dot TV. So if you want to go there get in touch with me, you can do that by hitting contact. You can get show notes there by hitting the light bulb, and you can give me a call. Eight to eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. My name is rich Darmiro. You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at triple eight rich.
Speaker 2: One oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The email.
Speaker 1: If you want to get in touch with me that way, go to the website rich on Tech dot TV hit contact and we got an email from Steve about the Alexa ordering. He said, I've never used it to order, but I do believe there's an optional pin that probably makes a lot of sense. In fact, if you do not live alone, I would probably enable that. Probably smarter to do that, although I have enabled the pin on the Amazon Prime Video because of my kids, and it's such a nightmare, Like every time I want to watch something, which is not very often, but this is probably why I don't watch a lot on Prime Video, I have to put in this pin that's like, you know, six digits on my remote control, and it just keeps me basically from watching anything on Amazon Prime. Speaking of Amazon, let's see here. Amazon updated their entire Kindle family, including the first ever color Kindle. Now I know the Kindle is known for having a page that looks just like the printed page. This still uses e ink, so I do like that. You've got four new Kindle models hitting the market, including that first ever color Kindle. They also reimagine the Kindle Scribe with some AI features. They've got the fastest Kindle paper white yet, and then they've got the new entry level Kindle in a fun Macha color I don't know if you know about this trend started on TikTok, where people they basically decorate their kindles. It's like a whole thing. I mean, books are popular now because of TikTok. They call it book talk. So these these people they recommend books that they're reading other people read them. Oh my gosh, what a concept, people reading books again.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: So the Kindle Colorsoft, I think is the most notable model here. This is the first kindle with a color display. So it's color pages, it's got color pictures. It's also got color on the screen. So if you want to look at the cover of your book in full color, you can do that, and then if you want to highlight in color, you can do that.
Speaker 2: Now. Do I think this is necessary on the Kindle?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: But is it nice to have. Sure, Like if you read graphic.
Speaker 1: Novels, kids are reading books on there, that's kind of cool to have color for that. If you read comic books on there, I think this was inevitable to have the color Kindle.
Speaker 2: Do you need it tomorrow? Probably not.
Speaker 1: I can't think of a reason why I want the Color Kindle except for the fact that it's brand new and available, and I'm really fighting that urge to get one, because why do I need this thing. I've been reading books in black and white forever, and I like the fact that the kindle is closer to the printed page. It does not look like an iPad, It does not look like a smartphone screen, it does not look like a computer screen. So even when I'm reading my Kindle, I do not feel like I am engaging with technology. And that's the whole beauty of the Kindle is that, even though it is very high tech, the technology blends into the background and you actually just focus on reading. And I do love my Kindle. I really do prefer it over physical books a majority of the time. Let's see, okay, colorsoft is waterproof, which is nice. Bring it in the bath, you can bring it to the beach. It also has wireless charging, so they did that for a reason make it easier to charge, obviously, But this only gets eight weeks of battery life. And I know that sounds like a lot, but if you're like me, you don't charge your kindle very much. I don't, so eight weeks is noticeably shorter than say, the months that a standard kindle would last. Okay, Next up the Kindles Scribe, and I'll tell you the prices afterwards.
Speaker 2: Kindlescribe.
Speaker 1: Remember this is the Kindle that is like a little bit bigger of a screen. You can write on it. It's almost like a notebook. So this has new borders, smaller borders in book writing experience. You can actually write inside the pages that you're reading and the text will wrap a it, which I thought was pretty cool. It's got an AI powered notebook for summarizing your own handwritten notes. This is for pre order. It will ship on December fourth. Then you've got the Kindle paper White. This is the Kindle I think that a majority of people should buy. This is the one that has a faster page turns. They're twenty five percent faster. It's got the highest contrast ratio of any Kindle. It's got a larger seven inch displace just a little bit larger there. But it's also the thinnest paper white ever, and that gets you up to three months of battery life. So for my money, I think the Kindle Paper White is probably the best bang for your buck for everyone because you're getting kind of like the best looking screen, the thinnest. Also, it's bigger, and so I think that that's going to be probably the best for most people. And then you've got the entry level kindle, which I get it's probably the most tempting because it goes on sale the most. It's obviously the cheapest, but I think if you spend just a little bit more, you're going to get that kindle. Paper white is just a better, better value for your money. But this is the smallest kindle, it's the most affordable. Obviously comes in that new Machta color. How do you say that Macha macha color? Not machta macha. It's like macha tea, Macha green tea. It's like a green, yeah, green, it's green. But you know, we gotta say macha because that's what the TikTokers are. You know, everything on Instagram is, you know, it's all about esthetics. It's aesthetics everything, Like there are literally people on Instagram where everything is just like a certain color or a certain vibe or a certain theme.
Speaker 2: It's all about aesthetics.
Speaker 1: And they make a lot of money promoting just stuff that's aesthetically pleasing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a big thing.
Speaker 1: This has twenty five percent brighter front light, so that's the entry level kindle.
Speaker 2: How much are these things?
Speaker 1: Entry level Kindle starts at one hundred and ten dollars, Kindle paper white starts at one hundred and sixty, the color soft with that color screen two hundred and eighty dollars, and then the Kindlescribe starts at four hundred dollars. Keep in mind you're gonna want a case for any of these things. That adds another fifty dollars to it, whatever, maybe twenty if you get the knockoff cases. But again, do not buy these things full price. Do not buy the kindles full price. They always go on sale, and you can trade in your old Kindle to get twenty percent off the nuance, So stack that with a sale. Put this thing in your Amazon cart, save it for later, watch.
Speaker 2: When it goes on sale.
Speaker 1: Eighty eight Rich one on one Rich on tech dot TV. Submit your question there. We'll get to your questions right after this. Let's get to us Stephanie in Los Angeles. Stephanie are on with Rich.
Speaker 5: Hi, Hi, Rich, I need some help in regard to telephones. All I have now is a landline. I'm a senior citizen, as you might guess, I have m acular degeneration, which means I need oversized numbers, letters, markings on it. My landline went out during the week and I was stuck here with no community vacation whatever, which made me realize it's a long overdue that I get a cell phone, a mobile phone, an iPhone what I referred to as magic machine for emergencies, and I'm hoping that you can make some suggestion emergencies and businesses. I don't need any colors, music, lights, whistles, anything like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you just want a simple phone that you can use to call in the event that your landline goes out.
Speaker 6: Exactly.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, the website that I would check out is, well, there's a couple of things.
Speaker 2: So there's there's actually I have.
Speaker 6: No website, no computer, no TV, no you know, I barely have a doorbell I have I have I don't have any technology except for the landline, and I have indoor plumbing.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: Okay, well so then it sounds like you need to go.
Speaker 2: Can you go? Can you make it into a store.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I have a caregiver.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, Well, I mean I would say for you, you probably want to get a phone that has large numbers on it, and that's basically it. Now, there is a phone that's made specifically for folks with a sort of a vision impairment or you know, so I'm trying to find it.
Speaker 2: I did a story with it.
Speaker 1: Saw that the Great Sea Sun Assistive Tech conference, and they had all kinds of great stuff and this was one of them on display. Now, the problem is it's a little expensive, so I don't know how much you want to spend. But this phone, it's called Blind Shell B L I N D S H E l L. And what I like about this is that they specifically created the phone to work for users like yourself, and so all of the features on it are are really good. Not only are the buttons really big, but the you know, it's very simple. The letters on the screen are nice and big. But it also can call out everything that you do. So if you dial a number and you dial three, it will say the number three as you press it, which I really like as well. So that the problem with that is that it's a little pricey, and I wish they would come out with a simpler one. But that's that that would be the first thing I would tell your caregiver about.
Speaker 6: Is blind Where do I find it?
Speaker 2: That You're gonna have to get online?
Speaker 1: Typically, so you got to tell the caregiver to to check out blind shell dot com. Okay, got that, so blindshell dot com the other website. Now, you can also walk into like a you know, a consumer cellular kind of place if you want to get a phone from them, or just go into like a Verizon store and see what's your You don't have a carrier at all.
Speaker 7: Huh, I don't have a carrier, okay.
Speaker 1: So what I would do is look for, you know, maybe one of the carriers, whoever your your caregiver's carrier is, maybe walk into their store and they typically sell a couple of flip phones. You can even go into a Walmart and and just see, like what flip phones they have with big numbers. That's all I think you need at this point is just a flip phone with big numbers, and that's it. Okay, So and that's it, and then just get it activated, get it on a plan. It doesn't sound like you need a lot of minutes, so you can get it on a plan that's maybe prepaid for the whole year at once or monthly whatever you need, but you don't need like a big unlimited plan from something like a AT and T or Verizon, because it's just going to be wasteful. So get something maybe that's you know, even pre paid, but that you know, those those those will work for you. And I think the other website that I like if you want to look for phones that are just simple is Dumbwireless dot Com did a story with them. It's a couple in Los Angeles that's trying to, you know, help spread the word about these simple phones. And they've got a bunch on their website that at least can give you some ideas for the simple phones and you might end up purchasing one. So again, Dumb Wireless Consumer Cellular, check them out, blind Shell check them out, and maybe just go into a Walmart pick up a flip phone and just prepay it for the year and that'll be perfect if you ever need it in the event of emergency or if your phone goes out. Thanks for the call, Stephanie, do appreciate it, Mike writes in Let's see, I bought a Wi Fi extender antenna and now it's installed, but I don't know how to set it up.
Speaker 2: With all the ring and r low equipment that I have.
Speaker 1: My question is how to find someone to help me out, But I'm not even sure what to search home Wi Fi.
Speaker 2: Home security CCTV.
Speaker 1: I live near Santa Clarita and Palmdale on a large property, so extended Wi Fi is important to set up my security cameras.
Speaker 2: Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Speaker 1: So, Mike, I would just search on Yelp for home network installation. So Yelp will have a great amount of people that do this stuff. Home network installation. You can search home automation. You can search TV mounting, a lot of those folks will do it as well, and security systems, so any of those searches will yield someone in your area. When it comes to selecting someone, what I like to do is not only look for nice reviews, but also call maybe the top two people that you decide on and just get a feel for them. So if they are nice to you on the phone, if they have time for you on the phone, if they answer your questions in a nice manner, then they will probably be nice when you actually need them to install this, and also afterwards if you have any problems with them, if.
Speaker 2: They're short with you. If they tell you, hey, can you send me a text?
Speaker 1: Whatever? Make this quick? You probably don't want to do business with them. So again, just search for those things. You might even just search for exactly what you're trying to do, ring cameras or r low cameras and put that into Yelp and see what happens there. But those are the way to do it, and that should be what you need.
Speaker 2: Let's see.
Speaker 1: Lori writes in from Canal Fulton, Ohio. What's the next best Apple phone? After the twelve Mini? I prefer smaller phones, probably because I started with a BlackBerry. Any recommendations, Well, Laurie, what about the iPhone thirteen Mini? So if you go to Apple's website, they do not continue to sell the previous phones after the original the new phones are out. They only have a selection of them. So if you go to Apple dot com and you look at the phones that they sell after they release the new iPhone, they typically discontinue certain old phones. So right now they're selling the iPhone sixteen Pro, the iPhone sixteen, the iPhone fifteen, the iPhone fourteen, and the iPhone se. So my advice is go to a third party website get the iPhone thirteen Mini. So this phone was released about three years ago, which means is not gonna be the newest, not gonna be the best, but it's gonna be an upgrade over the twelve Mini, and I would say it probably has about three years of software updates left, so you can get this right now, and then what I would do is, you know, just use that for the next couple of years until it's discontinued. Now, there's a difference between a phone being discontinued software wise and hardware wise, So theoretically the iPhone or I guess currently the iPhone thirteen Mini is discontinued. Apple's no longer actively making new phones, they're not manufacturing those anymore, but they're still supporting it with software updates. So that means that you could get this phone today and you'll still be security wise and software wise fine for the next couple of years. Apple doesn't publish the amount of years they support the iPhones, but they will tell you when the iPhones are supported through the new updates of iOS. So if we look at the iOS eighteen right now, they are supporting phones all the way back to the iPhone ten R, the eleven, the twelve, the thirteen. So if we extrapolate, the thirteen is still one two three models ahead of the oldest phone, which means they usually drop off one one year every time. We're talking three more years of software updates, I would say.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 1: I looked up on Amazon. It's about three hundred and fifty dollars refurbished. So iPhone thirteen many perfect. It'll be a great solution for your iPhone twelve Mini. Nice replacement for that. And then what you can do is you can buy the iPhone S when the three or two years is up. Whenever you're done with this iPhone thirteen Mini, then you can go with the iPhone se which is.
Speaker 2: Expected to come out.
Speaker 1: Let's see if you go to MacRumors Buyer's Guide Buyer's Guide dot MacRumors dot com, this is an excellent website. This will tell you the cycle of the phone. So right now, just to give you some perspective, iPhone sixteen pro says buy now in large green, and it's only been out for thirty six days.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: I can't believe I only had this for thirty six days and I actually got it two weeks early, so I've had this for a little bit longer. So iPhone S, on the other hand, has been out ready nine hundred and fifty six days. The average is seven hundred and twenty five days. This is what I love about the Internet. There's someone that sits there and tracks this stuff, so you don't have to and I don't have to. So again, buyer's guidet, MacRumors dot com. It's uh, they are rumoring that the iPhone S will be updated pretty much any day now, so we can expect this. Uh it's supposedly in the spring, but we can expect this just any moment now. iPhone se So again, that's the that's the one i'd wait for. Is for your replacement for this other one?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Eighty eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website for the show rich on tech dot tv. If you want show notes, just hit the light bulb icon. If you want to get in touch with me, just hit the contact button. Coming up, I'm gonna tell you about the new iPad Mini. Speaking of which, iPad Mini, let's see how long that went?
Speaker 2: Can I find that real quick? Oh, it's only been us.
Speaker 1: Twenty seven days since they had a new one, but now it's available very soon. I will tell you what the iPad Mini has and what it doesn't have, coming.
Speaker 2: Up right here on rich On Tech. Let's see here.
Speaker 1: Let's go to uh Morgan, who wrote in from Thousand Oaks. Hey, rich I'm moving to a twenty three hundred square foot house and a five acre ranch surrounded by avocado trees, which means lots of coyotes. I want to get tracking callers from my two indoor kiddies in case they get out. There are so many options, I'm having difficulty deciding. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm a huge fan and trust your advice for keeping my kiddy safe.
Speaker 2: Okay, so Morgan, Okay, good.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, I'm glad these are not outdoor cats because with coyotes not good, not a good mix. So and even if they get out, you got to keep them inside. You don't want these cats outside. So couple ways you can do this. So, just to give you a basis of understanding, there are a couple things going on here. There are callers for pets that have GPS built in.
Speaker 2: Now that is going to give you the absolute best.
Speaker 1: Precision location every second that this cat is moving anywhere they go, because that is actually going to have a cellular connection on it along with GP. Yes, that is going to be the most precise. It's also going to be the most expensive because they typically come with a monthly monitoring fee and the battery life is going to be the absolute worst out of all of the solutions. So I would say, at the very least, probably don't do that because it's probably not the best case scenario. So you're going to be charging this thing all the time, You're gonna be paying a monthly fee. And again you mentioned that these are indoor cats, so this is only if they get out you want an idea, but on the flip side, you get the best location tracking. So the two brands that are probably the tops for this are one called Tractive tr ac Tive and then Whistle Whistle. I've actually done a story with Whistle and their stuff is great. They mostly market it towards dogs, so if you'd probably want their smallest one, I would check to see what the weight limits are or what the suggested weight is, but there typically we did this story with a small dog and that was one of the issues is that the tracker is a little bit big, so but again that's gonna be the most precise. The thing is, the battery life is gonna be really bad. So I mean, once these things are on full GPS, you're gonna get about two days of battery life before this goes dead, which means if your cat got out and you didn't find them within two days, that's it.
Speaker 2: That collers one hundred percent useless.
Speaker 1: So you can extend that time by creating sort of like a geofence around your house, which means the caller, if it's in the area that you set for that geofence, will not use GPS, which means it's not going to use the battery up. It's gonna use Wi Fi around the house, which uses much less power. Now, the two other ways you can do this is with a tracking device like a tile or an air tag or a Google tracker or a Samsung tracker. Let me go through those real quick. So an air tag obviously is probably the most popular way people do this. You get an air tag collar on Amazon. You put the air tag on your cat cat gets outside. Anyone who has an iPhone nearby which Remember, you are in this big area, five acre ranch. There's not gonna be a lot of iPhones on that five acre ranch, so the chances of getting an update on where your cat is located in that area is going to be tricky. But the neat thing that the air tags have with the new iPhones is precision location. So if you are getting close, if you walk around your yard, your iPhone will tell you how close you are to your cat. So yesterday I left my phone somewhere around my house. I did not know where it was. I went on my Apple Watch I used to find my feature and it directed me to my phone which was sitting on the car seat outside in my car, and it said, Okay, your phone is thirty nine feet away, it's forty feet away, it's forty it's twenty feet away, it's ten feet away, it's five feet away. Okay, you're right there, and then you can ring it. Same thing with an air tag, you can use that to kind of get to the general location, and then you can ring it to see where your cat is. When it comes to tile, they don't have the precision finding, but they do have a very wide long rain for the tile tracker which is anywhere anywhere from three hundred and fifty to five I think it's up to five hundred feet, and so you can get a tile tracker hanging on your cat. Again, it's going to use all the other TILE users in the area to find it, but there's probably not going to be many, so you're going to be relying on your phone to help you find it. But the good news is you can ring it from far away and still find it because it's got that long tracking. Now, if I was going to do something, if you have a Samsung phone, I'd probably go with a Samsung specific tracker. They call them smart tags, I think, and are smart things, and those are going to be great because they also have the precision finding. So again my recommendation, if you've got an iPhone, probably go with an air tag. If you've got Samsung, go with their specific Samsung tag. And if you don't have one of those phones, you got a random Android phone, maybe go.
Speaker 2: With the tile.
Speaker 1: But I think this specific GPS tracking callers are going to be the most expensive solution and they're also going to be the best if your cat ever went missing. But it's also the most headaches because you're paying every month, and you're charging this thing all the time, which may not sound like a big deal right now, but I guarantee this eighty to eight. Rich one on one, thanks for the call or the email from Thousand Oaks. If you want to get your email in, go to rich on Tech dot tv, hit the website, hit contact there, and that's where you can find it. I'm gonna tell you about the iPad Mini coming up. iPad Mini has a brand new chip, it's got some new features, it's got the same price tag. But there's one thing in particular I don't like about what Apple did not improve. I'll explain coming up right here on rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology on a beautiful fall weekend. Hopefully it's nice where you are. The weather is uh. This is like the perfect time of the year. It just really is. I Spring and fall are just two of my favorites. Rich on Tech dot tv is the website to go to. Let's see. You can hit the light bulb if you want links to anything I mentioned. I keep great show notes. This is show number ninety four, so you can go in there and check out anything that I mentioned. You can hit contact if you want to get in touch with me, which many of you do. And that's what I love about this show. You know, I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. You know, I cover this stuff, and there's so much more to it.
Speaker 2: It's not just me.
Speaker 1: This is really like a community because I've got you listening, and you're also writing back to me saying, hey, Rich, let's mention this mention that. So I got a lot of emails about the question about the senior citizen who wanted just a simple phone for emergency. Stand Ward says, hey, Rich. Target sells consumer cellular prepaid plans. I've been with them four years. That's a record for me. Walmart has straight talk. I didn't care for them, only lasted two weeks for me. Let's see here. Thank you, stan Ward. Then we've got Randy said app Rich. Apple sells refurbished phones on their site. You can also get them from gazelle dot com. I buy mine and get a significant discount. The phones come packaged in a white box like new. You might see a spot or two, like a mild scratch, but the phone is brand new and worth the huge discount. They have Samsung and Google as well. I personally never buy new and I own the phone, so you can sell your old phone back to them. Randy, computer technical surgeon and computer angels. Wow, Randy sounds like he knows what he's doing. And yes, I one hundred percent agree, Randy, buy your stuff refurbished because you will save money. The problem is, we as Americans, are so in love with the finance plans and the installment plans that when you tell someone, hey, you could buy this phone out right for six hundred bucks on Gazelle, or you can walk into your AT and T store and pay thirty dollars a month for the next three years, nine times out of ten people want to pay thirty dollars a month for the next three years. Don't ask me why. That's not the way I am. That's not what I like to do. But I think buying the phone is great, and you made a great point. At the end, you own the phone, and you can sell your old phone back to them with a lot of these products, you know, installment upgrade plan things. You got to give the phone back to get your new phone. And so it's eighteen and T and Verizon they get to capture that. You know, it might be one hundred or two or two hundred dollars spread, but times millions of customers. They are really making out on all these installment plans that pretend to be zero percent or whatever, zero for thirty six months, but really at the end of the day, you're paying more for your plan, and you're also paying more when you give up that phone and give up that one hundred to two hundred dollars that you may get the spread between what they're going to resell it for and what you could have sold it for on your own. So highly recommended, Randy, I love your system. Gazell dot Com is great. Swapa is also a good one. That's a very popular site for buying things like phones and stuff like that. So just be sure that you're getting it from a respectable site, because you know, some of these phones, you want to make sure that they're they're on the up and up, and by going to a Gazell dot com or a Swapa they typically are, and of course of Apple's webs as well. Let's see Nika in Torren says Rich I've used track phone for twenty years. It's perfect. Verizon owns it, so no reception problems. Home Shopping Network in QBC sell with an entire year of service. I have a nice latest model Samsung, but for the woman who called a flip phone, will cost less than forty dollars with a year service plan after this nineteen ninety nine every three months ideal for an emergency phone. Love your show, great suggest in Nica. That is a good way to do it. I love having it the whole year in advance, right, very very simple. And Ralph in Van Buren Township, Michigan writes in to say there is a flip phone with features for the elderly. It's called the Jitterbug. It's a flip cell phone and camera with large number buttons.
Speaker 2: The Jitterbug.
Speaker 1: Yeah, isn't the Jitterbug? Is that its own brand? Okay, that's through Lively, Oh, best Buy. I bought this company, Yes, Jitterbug from best Buy. Great great suggestions. As you can see, there are many many options out there. The other thing you can do if you have like a regular Samsung phone, and you've got a person that you helped take care of or that has a phone and just thinks they're way too complicated. Samsung has what's called easy Mode, and if you are helping an elderly person with their phone or someone who's not so tech savvy, turn on easy Mode. It makes the Samsung any Samsung phone so much easier, It.
Speaker 2: Makes all of the.
Speaker 1: Display screen size much bigger, it simplifies everything.
Speaker 2: It's just so much easier.
Speaker 1: So easy Mode on the Samsung devices is like a hidden kind of gem. If you're using any Samsung device with a person that needs help, Let's go to let's see Oscar in Winchester, California.
Speaker 2: Oscar. You're on with rich Y.
Speaker 3: Rich Hi. I got a simple question. Last week. You were talking about the switching from Verizon to Google Messages and you mentioned that it's best if we do an SMS backup before doing it. So I was looking on Google Play for an SMS backup and I found SMS backup restore, but I was looking for one that didn't have Some of them just said it had a lot of options, but some of them said with ads and stuff like that. I was looking for a name that was just looked like it was generic, just do a backup and restore, and I downloaded one that that SMS backup and restore but in setting it up, it asked for some stuff which was normal, I think, like excuse me that access access to messages, uh, calls storage. But when I got stubbed when danced me for ability to make calls and that I you know, I got out to the program then just set up.
Speaker 2: Okay, well the so great question.
Speaker 1: And this is something that is very simple on the Android side of things, which is what you're using, and it's this is the only backup SMS backup that I recommend on the Android side of things, because this is the one that I've been using pretty much forever.
Speaker 2: It's gone through it's changed hands over the years.
Speaker 1: But the specific name of the program, like you noticed, is SMS Backup and Restore and the company that makes it is sync Tech pty Ltd sink Tech.
Speaker 2: That's the one that I like, and that's the one that I use. Now, you are right.
Speaker 1: It does ask for a couple of permissions, but it's mostly for the things that it needs to do, and typically it asks if you want to back up your messages and your phone calls, and then it asks where do you want to store your calls and messages? So you can configure this thing to run on Google Drive or drop Box, or you can just keep it on your phone and then you can schedule a recurring backup as well. And so what I think what you got tripped up on was why did it ask for access to the phone. The reason for that is to access the phone logs. Now, I don't think you need to back up your phone logs unless you had, you know, business or something where you needed that information, so you can safely turn that off.
Speaker 2: And this is a trusted app.
Speaker 1: It's been around for a very long time and I do trust it, So even if you had access to your call logs, I mean, look, here's here's the thing that we have to think about in general, is this app has accessed to your text messages. There's a lot of information, personal information in text messages. So when you're choosing a backup app, you do want something that is trusted because it does have full access to a lot of data. So what I like about this is that it's putting it into your own places. So it's putting it into Google Drive, it's putting into Dropbox, One Drive, or your phone. It's not putting it to its own cloud. So I think that that's going to be Okay, I think that this is a way to go. I think that you should do this for sure if you have an Android phone, and it's it's very simple to do. So a great question, Oscar, go with that app and I think you'll be fine. Get those messages backed up. I did get some emails from folks that we're going through that changeover Verizon, you know, as you know.
Speaker 2: Is getting rid of their messages.
Speaker 1: Plus in just a couple of weeks, November seventh, I believe, is the date where that app will stop working, and so everyone's switching over, and everyone was asking, you know, what should I switch to? Google Messages is the app that I recommend because it does have support for rcs, which means your messages to Android other Android phones and more importantly iPhones are going to be much much improved, especially photos and videos.
Speaker 2: But some people did have issues and they didn't.
Speaker 1: Make a backup and they lost all of their text messages in the switchover.
Speaker 2: I don't know how, but you know, it's software. It can happen.
Speaker 1: There could be a hiccup, So please back up your messages if they're important for me.
Speaker 2: I don't care. I don't need my messages backed up to me.
Speaker 1: Text messages are fleeting, and I don't really need them backed up because it's mostly like, hey, i'm outside, okay, I'll come down and get you, or Hey, your pizzas here, whatever it is. I'm not like sitting there having, you know, things that I want to remember forever on my text message conversations. I mean, maybe I'm wrong, but that's the way I feel right now. On the Android side of things, again, just do a backup SMS, backup and restore.
Speaker 2: I'll put the link in the show note.
Speaker 1: On the iPhone side of things, it's a little bit trickier because Apple backs up your text messages, but they don't give you really a way to access those. But if you want a way to access them, I like an app called imazing I the letter I mazing mzing. The website is the letter imzing dot com. You will have to pay for that. It is not free software. Eight and eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one. I see the calls on the board. We will get to those. Plus more of your emails at richon tech dot tv. Hit contact to send me an email. Plus Netflix just had their earnings report and uh, not only are they adding more subscribers, there's some interesting takeaways.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what they're doing next coming up right here on rich on Tech.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich on Tech, rich DeMuro here. Okay, I did promise two stories, so let's probably get through these Apple new iPad Mini so iPad Mini you know and love same thing, basically, just a couple of upgrades, new chips, so it's going to be faster. It's got the A seventeen pro. Obviously, it's built for Apple Intelligence, which is their new AI that's coming soon, coming very soon. Actually, let's see the rumor mill has it by the end of the month, because well, actually it's not a rumor anymore because this Apple iPad announcement said the first phase of AI will be coming by the end of the month. So end of October now comes with double the storage, one hundred and twenty eight gigs instead of the old sixty four for the same price. So apparently it's faster, better graphics, it's got the AI features like the writing tools, improved SERI more down the line, it's got faster Wi Fi so Wi Fi six e, which probably your router does not handle. So that's not really that exciting unless you have a router that's Wi Fi sixty enabled. It's got five G support on the cellular if you buy the cellular version. No more physical simcard, it's e SIM only. Cameras are improved. Now supports the Apple Pencil Pro. It's got a couple of new colors, including blue and purple. Comes in the standard. I think it's starlight, and let's the other one space gray. It's got an eight point three inch screen. The USB C port is faster. It's got well I think I had lightning on the old one. Now it's USBC. It's got ten gigabits data transfer, so faster than before if you're transferring big files off this thing. But the screen, Let's talk about the screen real quick. That's the thing I'm disappointed at. It's got an eight point three inch screen that doesn't seem to be improved from before. And I will tell you an experience. I bought the iPad Mini because I wanted to use it as my in flight kind of entertainment, and I could not deal with the screen because it just wasn't very clear, and I'm very used to the clear screen. The retina display on the iPhone, and I don't think this iPad Mini has it, so I'm gonna have to see. I'm gonna have to go into the store and check it out when it launches. But that's my feeling right now is that if you want the clearest iPad screen, and this is not cheap by the way, this is five hundred dollars. So if you want kind of like a better screen, you gotta go with a better iPad. Let's go to let's see here, Let's go to Sarah in a studio city. Sorry, you're on with Rich?
Speaker 4: Hi Rich. I'm so glad I held on because I love your advice and I have some two questions I really need help with. Okay, So the California fast tech scam, I don't know if you've heard about it.
Speaker 8: A lot of people were talking.
Speaker 4: About it on the neighborhood app. I got that text and unfortunately I clicked it, but nothing opened up. I didn't let it go so long that it opened up.
Speaker 3: I caught it.
Speaker 4: I was like, oh no, that's that might be wrong, and I closed it and you know, it went away, and then I blocked and reported the text. But yes, my phone has been not really acting funny. But I got kicked out of my Instagram and had to log back in and had a problem doing that, And that's really the only thing that's happened weird. But I'm a little nervous. Is there anything I should do? Or really I want to know what can they do if they did get in my phone?
Speaker 1: Well, okay, so number one, you got to follow me on Instagram, Sarah, because I did post about this yesterday and it was so when I get a bunch of emails from people about things. And by the way, this scam, this toll scam has been going on for a while. Better Business Bureau wrote about this thing. Let's see, they wrote about this thing back in August, so they were talking. They sent out the warning and Better Business Bureau. Actually, it's kind of like me, where a bunch of people email me and tell me about something, then I'll write about it. Better Business Bureau has this thing called Scam Tracker, so all people around the US are like writing in and saying how they got scammed or the scams that they've encountered, and then it kind of bubbles to the top, and Better Business Bureau will right about the ones that they see over and over.
Speaker 2: This was clearly one of them.
Speaker 1: But anyway, so I got that email from people, a bunch of emails from people saying, rich, I'm getting these scam told scam things, and basically it says, California Fast Tracked, you have an outstanding toll balance to steer clear of a late fee. Kindly settle your balance, and then it gives you a website. You clicked that website that and then did you put in any personal information?
Speaker 4: I didn't even let it go so far is to open a website, so I wasn't sure where it was even going.
Speaker 3: I dropped it and closed the.
Speaker 2: The page.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I click the websites. Do not do this at home, but I actually click the websites and I test them out to see exactly what the scam is. And in this one, of course, like most of them, they are trying to capture as much personal information as possible, your payment method and anything else they can get from you.
Speaker 2: So it's good that you close it out.
Speaker 1: I don't think that the getting logged out of Instagram is related to this, So I think you're okay because you do not let this website go through. But just to be safe, what I would do on your iPhone is clear your browser, all the data on your browser, so clear the cash, clear the any of the browsing history. So you can go on Safari to do that, go into your settings and just clear out everything. And I tell you how to do that real quick, but I got to look it up and see. But you can go on just just Google search Safari clear cash and cookies, and that that should tell you how to do it. Clear history, cash and cookies from Safari. I'll put the link in the show notes as well. But once you do that, restart your phone. Obviously you should be okay with that. But again, these kind of scams. There's another one going around right now with Amazon Prime. That's also on my Instagram at richon Tech, So check that one out. And so I kind of explain the anatomy of this scam, which you know, it doesn't use your real name. It tells you have to update your payment method to continue using Prime. It's got a link, and so of course I did click the link, which I do not recommend you doing, but I did it to figure out how these things work. The email address on the email is not from Amazon, It's from some random email address. The sign in page on this Amazon Prime scam looks very realistic, and so once you go through there, it'll capture your login information. Then it brings you to a payment page. It'll capture your payment information, and then the icing on the cake is that it will say enter the one time password. We just sent you the one time code the two factor authentication. So because you just they just tried to log in with your Amazon account, you got that code text at your phone.
Speaker 2: Now they ask you for that. It's a scam.
Speaker 1: And the California toll or any other toll authority does not ask for payment via text.
Speaker 2: This is rich on Tech. Coming up, we're talking bitcoin. Let's talk Bitcoin.
Speaker 1: Went to the LA Bitcoin Day this week and kind of interesting to be in the same room with a lot of hardcore bitcoiners. Bitcoin, let's see, hovering over sixty eight thousand dollars right now per coin, up eight percent this week. And you know, this was a gathering of folks discussing all the aspects of bitcoin, which they believe is the future of money. So I spoke with Swan CEO Corey Clipston about the bitcoin market.
Speaker 2: What is the state of bitcoin in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's been an incredible year for bitcoin.
Speaker 10: A lot of legitimacy came in with black Rock and Fidelity and some of the other large Wall Street firms launching Bitcoin spot ETFs back in January, and then obviously it's been a big topic in the presidential election cycle and a lot more favorable attitudes of regulators and Congress, which has been really cool.
Speaker 9: It's been a nice tailwind.
Speaker 10: So we've seen the price go up from the thirties about this time last year and we're about sixty eight thousand dollars per bitcoin today, now very important. You can buy a piece of a bitcoin, you don't have to buy a whole thing. Just making sure people know that.
Speaker 1: That is important to know because people see that large number and think that's it. Explain in layman's terms what bitcoin is. If someone's watching or listening and they just don't even really understand what bitcoin is, how do you explain that to them?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think one of the easiest ways to think about it is it's a new technology that has created a better form of money. And so all that you're seeing essentially with all of this hype cycles of you know, price goes really far up and then it crashes back down, and then it goes up even more, and then it crashes back down.
Speaker 9: And this has been going on for the last fifteen years.
Speaker 10: Is just more and more people around the world understanding what it is, and they're making a bet that they think it's going to be adopted by more people. But essentially it's just better monetary technology, better than gold and better than paper dollars like fiat cash, like the US dollar or the euro.
Speaker 9: And so that's really what it is. It's an adoption story.
Speaker 1: So what makes it a better type of currency? Is it the digital underpinnings of it.
Speaker 10: So I think what it is is if it's outside of any one person's control. That's the secret of bitcoin. It's actually decentralized. It means that you can't print more of it, so there can never be more than twenty one million bitcoins. They are subdivisible, so you have plenty of bitcoin and kind of infinite subdivisibility, but you can't print more of it, unlike what we see with the dollar, the euro and all these other fiat currencies. Fiat just means government controlled. They just print more of it. And essentially, when you print more dollars, that's a tax on everybody else. So this is what we've kind of seen for the last one hundred years or so, is instead of having to pass attack to be able to spend more on government, they just inflate the currency by printing more of it and that's what they spend.
Speaker 1: So you have some people that are sort of speculating on this and buying it for that reason. Some people want to make it the currency of the world. Do those two ideas work together, Yeah, they do.
Speaker 10: I mean, I think you need price discovery no matter what. So we welcome lots of traders in bitcoin. We focus on long term savings, investing for the future, kind of you know, seventh generation type stuff. So it's very much about accumulating and not a lot of active trading. But you can't have price discovery if you don't have a liquid market, and bitcoin has a very deep global twenty four to seven liquid market, more than any other asset. One of the interesting things we've seen over the last five years or so is it's actually that bell weather that tells you before the market opens or over the weekend, what's going to happen with the markets that trade, you know, nine to five or nine thirty to four or whatever, because bitcoin is something that they can actually sell or where they can actually express their view that we're heading into a bullish stretch.
Speaker 9: Or something like that. Bitcoin actually moves.
Speaker 2: First, do you think the average person should get into bitcoin? And why?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 10: So, look, I think that buying bitcoin goes hand in hand with learning about bitcoin.
Speaker 9: So we always say the more you know, the more you buy.
Speaker 10: So I always say start with education now if it helps you to pay more attention and have selective attention for bitcoin podcasts, bitcoin when they're talking about it on CNBC or whatever. To own a little bit, just go buy one hundred dollars worth, go buy a thousand dollars worth, have it on an app, and just start following the price. Then you'll start to follow the news. Then maybe you buy a book. Then maybe you talk to a friend who's into it, and you kind of go down the rabbit hole, as we say, and you basically, like any good investment, you should only buy what you know and what you understand. Otherwise, by definition, we humans are just very sort of prone to buy the shiny object and then sell when it gets scary. So unless you actually know what you're holding, and what you've bought and understand it. You'll basically buy high and sell low, which is not good.
Speaker 1: Have we seen a breakthrough moment for bitcoin or do you think that's still on the horizon or will that day ever come?
Speaker 2: And what do you think that looks like?
Speaker 9: Look, I think we've seen.
Speaker 10: It's so funny if you kind of zoom out and you look at the last fifteen years since bitcoin launched in January of two thousand and nine, it didn't have a price, and then it was trading for tens of thousands of coins per dollar, and now it's sixty eight thousand dollars per bitcoin.
Speaker 9: So it is actually happening very rapidly.
Speaker 10: And when we look back on this, you know, one hundred years, two hundred years from now, I think we'll say, wow, that was actually incredibly fast when you think about being able to add a new monetary asset for eight billion humans around the world. Like I think sometimes people are very impatient and they want it to happen all at once. But by definition it is hard to understand, and there's a lot of science and a lot of technology underpinning it, and it takes a pretty good knowledge of seven or eight different disciplines to be able to understand bitcoin pretty well. You know, monetary theory, monetary history, cryptography, economics, finance, like so many different things you need to understand to in the rabbit hole goes ever deeper.
Speaker 1: When I hear that no one, no one person controls it, you know, and no government controls it. That tells me that governments may not like the idea of this is that proven to be the case.
Speaker 10: So it depends on the government, and it depends on who it is in the government. So what we always like to say is governments are actually just made up of people. And there are a lot of huge fans of bitcoin in the US government and in other governments around the world. And then also if you think about governments and totality, some governments are more in control than others, right, so we have dollar hegemony. Dollars, the U is the reserve currency of the world. There are a lot of countries around the world where that's not the case, and they may actually prefer some other currency, and more.
Speaker 9: And more they're choosing to look at bitcoin.
Speaker 10: They're mining bitcoin for themselves, you know, with their own energy resources, or they're opting it as legal tender and it's just an alternative.
Speaker 1: Why is there so much lore around bitcoin and discussion and just in the news and everything.
Speaker 10: Why it's just the most fascinating thing that I think has happened for a lot of people. It just touches a lot of interesting buttons for them and kind of helps them see things in a different way.
Speaker 9: I didn't set out on this path. I was like a startup guy.
Speaker 10: I used to work for big tech companies and was a consultant in all this. But it just, you know, it ticks something in my brain when I started to learn about it back in twenty seventeen, and we often refer to it as a mind virus, like it gets in there and it's really hard to think about anything else that has as much potential for positive impact in the world as bitcoin. I think it's the I think it's the one thing going on in the world that has the largest potential for positive change for humans.
Speaker 9: And that's why I focus on it.
Speaker 1: What is this week all about? What is the LA Bitcoin Week all about? What are the people doing here?
Speaker 2: What do they hope to learn?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Absolutely, so it's definitely about learning. It's also about connecting. It's about just you know, people can Some people live in a city with a high concentration of bitcoiners, a lot of people don't, and so giving them an opportunity to come somewhere and connect with other people in real life instead of just seeing bitcoin people tweet on x It's just something that I think a lot of people really enjoy.
Speaker 9: So we have people in from all over the world for this.
Speaker 10: As we all know, there's a lot of noise in the space and around the space, whether it's all the crypto stuff.
Speaker 9: You know, kind of the non bitcoin thing's going on, and you know.
Speaker 10: It's just really hard to figure out what's real and what's not, and so we try to be that voice that provides pure signal and people can trust us because we've done the homework and figured out what's true and what's not.
Speaker 2: We're ever going to find out who Satoshi is, we can.
Speaker 9: Talk about that.
Speaker 10: So, yeah, there was just a yet another attempt to see who Satoshi was. HBO did not get it right, but it was very good for marketing and promotion. I don't think we're ever going to know who the pseudonymous founder of bitcoin was. He went by Satoshi Nakamoto. I think that is lost to history, and I think it's better that way. It's a great foundational myth, as you were saying, like one of those things that intrigues people and gets them interested. Now, that is something that was a genius marketing stroke by the creator of bitcoin once again.
Speaker 1: That was Swan CEO Corey Clipston. And they help you invest into bitcoin. So if you want to check out their website, it is Swan bitcoin dot com. And the documentary he was referring to at the end there is called Money Electric, The Bitcoin Mystery.
Speaker 2: I did watch it. It is on Max so if you want to watch it.
Speaker 1: It's a new documentary about bitcoin, and the first half of the documentary really delves into what bitcoin is. The second half really tries to like nail down who created it. It's obviously anonymous, and they try I don't know if they got it right. He didn't think they got it right. I don't think they did there either, But still entertaining. Eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one the website for the show Rich on tech dot Tv coming up, Netflix adding continuing to add more subscribers. Tell you some of the details from their recent earnings report and what they're doing, what they're focusing on now, and how they're differentiating from YouTube. Let's talk Netflix. Netflix is uh man. They are just continuing to kill it. Added five million subscribers in the last quarter, bring their total to two hundred and eighty two million paid subscribers globally. Members watch about two hours of Netflix per day on average. Live programming is where they are expanding. They see this as high value content. They've got that I don't know if it already happened. The Mike Tyson, what's the other guy's name, Paul? What's Jake Paul?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Boxing match out? Did that already happen? I don't remember. I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Okay, then they have NFL football on Christmas Day. Ads supported tier is very popular. This is a trend we're seeing across all streaming. Apparently fifty percent of new sign ups are for the ads supported tier, which is so interesting because when Netflix first started to remember it was the anti ad company, you know, it was no ads, And now people are signing up. They're saying, I'd rather pay a little bit less and I'll deal with the ads. They're facing out their basic plan almost everywhere. The basic plan was their cheaper plan that had no ADS, but they're focusing on, of course, the ads supported plan is the low cost option games. They keep making these games. I don't know who's playing them, but I guess people are. But they make games based on Netflix shows. Squid Game and Virgin River are popular or those are upcoming rather, but they do have a couple of popular ones. How are they differentiating from competitors like YouTube premium high budget content and of course taken on the financial risk for creators. So YouTube, anyone can do it. Anyone can make it, takes a little bit of investment. You need a camera and I need to set up. But Netflix is focusing on premium, high budget stuff, which sometimes when you watch it you wonder they're not okay, They're not going to bundle with other streaming services, not interested in that. That makes sense because Netflix is kind of an outlier. Everyone else is like Peacock. It's like all these other ones. You're like, ah, do I really need that? But so you might bundle it. Disney of course obviously has a lot of interest in bundling with their three brands that they have, but Netflix does not have any interest in that and they still see a lot of room for growth less than ten percent of TV time. That they still account for less than ten percent of TV time even in their biggest markets. So just when you think netflixes everything to them, they still have got ninety percent of the market to capture.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 2: Let's go to uh Diego in San Diego Diego. You're on the rich.
Speaker 11: Hello, Hi, I have an iMac mom and Penham from my daughter to my wife, and she's complaining about any window that can't open. It tends to refresh itself when she's typing looking for something, and we refresh itself every nine to ten seconds. Only when you have a window open, even a web browser or anything like that, we don't.
Speaker 9: Know what it is.
Speaker 2: So explain to me what's happening again.
Speaker 11: Any windows you have open refresh itself. So as you're looking for something in the search, a window up on top and refresh itself. You have to reclick again to that window so you can keep typing, and you got to kind of beat the clock, which is nine or ten seconds.
Speaker 2: Are you Is this happening in a web browser.
Speaker 11: In any window you open, even like text edit or she's looking for a picture or a document usually uses it for email and document writing.
Speaker 2: Hmm.
Speaker 1: And it just so the window refreshes. Yeah, and is it is it a screen thing or is it a computer thing? Like it's does it look like the screen is refreshing itself or does it look like the window itself is doing something like software wise?
Speaker 11: No, because I can close every window and just look at the desktop of all this stuff on top of there, and it's just okay.
Speaker 2: So it stays okay.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: Well, I would say it sounds like you've got something running on this computer that is not agreeing with it, and that's that's probably what's going on here. I would say it's a graphics thing. But if it's if the computer desktop just sits there and doesn't do anything while you're just letting it sit idle, then it's probably not a graphics thing. And so okay, So let's I'm still trying to figure this out. You you open up let's say a web browser, and you're sitting there using it, and the screen just like the actual window just refreshes.
Speaker 11: Yes, we'll be watching We watched something some Christmas but I can watch it movie miracle or something, and it kept annoyingly kept doing it every nine to ten seconds, so we think the window out made a smaller and it still did it, and it was funny. Just gave up. We'll just repress itself. It doesn't have to be in the window. It has to be next to browsers. It doesn't on which he does a pretext, so your text edit rewrite something there, it still transfer onto a war document. And even that those two windows, the word document or the text edit will refresh itself.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I think what I would do personally is check to see what's going on in this computer, Like, uh, there's so many things you got to do to see what's going on here. So first off, is this computer still supported software wise?
Speaker 11: Well, it's an always him point six point eight. It's pretty old.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's pretty So it's not getting active software updates? Yeah, okay, So so if it's not, that's ten point six point eight. Oh wow, it's like snow Leopard. That's yeah, that's a while ago. So if it's not getting any new updates, what I would do is I personally just go you know, number one, I'd probably start figuring out what the system, what the situation is for a new machine at some point, you know, budget whatever you need to do to get that. But to get this thing to work again, I would probably what I would do is just reinstall the operating system the whole thing. Because this is an old computer anyway, It's got a lot of little fragments and things on it, so you can reinstall the entire operating system. That's probably what I would do first. If you can't do that, or you don't want to do that, I would probably look through and get rid of any programs on this computer that I don't recognize, don't need, don't know, restart it. I would go into the login on the system settings and see if there's anything in the login items that are launching at startup. And that's probably the first thing I would do, is look in that login items and see if there's anything that's launching with the startup of this computer. And that could be some sort of program that's just not agreeing with it, and you can unclick those and then of course restart your computer there.
Speaker 2: And then you know, obviously you can't do the updates. You can't do that, but if.
Speaker 1: You're really a little bit more tech savvy, you can start this thing up in like safe mode and see if there's anything in there that you can delete or get rid of. But I would personally just try to get rid of anything on this computer that you don't need, don't use, don't want, and then restart it and keep doing those actions until this cleans itself up. And if it doesn't, then you might have to take it to some sort of like Mac place for them to take a look at this a little bit more closely. But good question, Diego. That is a frustrating issue to have. But I think if you get rid of stuff on that computer, hopefully that should work. There's another I like called clean my Mac that might be a good thing which you can run on there as well get rid of some of the gunk that's uh clogging up that old old computer. Eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. I'll tell you how Google flights is going cheap coming up, Welcome back to rich on Tech eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. I got a note from Don in a provo Utah that he wants to share a great site with me. Don.
Speaker 2: What's the site?
Speaker 3: Rich I love you so much.
Speaker 7: I listened to you every week. It's a I look forward to every week.
Speaker 2: Thank you much, thank you.
Speaker 7: I actually listened to maybe two or three times. But I am actually met Madonna's twins twin rang, so I'm living up to that. And then Delta dot com is z e l d t a dot com is the best website in the mo versus. There's a couple of pages every single day. It's a safe place for young people and everybody else to go, for everybody else to go for a few minutes. It's like in one hundred languages you can just translate instantly.
Speaker 2: And what is this Delta dot com that takes me towe an airline?
Speaker 7: No, no, no, Zelta z zebra e l d t A. It's actually just z LT Creations and Communications.
Speaker 3: But that's the website.
Speaker 7: Is z e l d t A dot com?
Speaker 2: Zelta Okay, got it? Okay?
Speaker 1: Interesting? Oh I see it's got It's got like a whole bunch of stuff. Okay, well we'll see you. We'll see if people like that. So uh yeah, I hope so thanks.
Speaker 7: I don't really have any money. I get your in an assistance. I'm hoping I don't have bitcoin yet. I'm hoping to get that soon. But I have like a on that website, have a few places where you can donate on Venmo or something.
Speaker 3: But well, you're trying to get.
Speaker 7: Money to activating my life body. I'm activating everybody's lightbody around the world right now. Oh, travel throughout the multiverse instantaneously everywhere, instant he and everything.
Speaker 2: What does that mean? Exactly? What does that mean? Exactly?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: What like around the multiverse? You know the healing? What does that mean?
Speaker 7: Well? I invented uh anyway, I have the technology virtual reality that's gonna actually help people travel throughout the multiverse. And they can't have weapons if they can't go, do they trust me?
Speaker 3: I don't have weapons.
Speaker 7: And also, like everybody can step on every sun and every moon, every star, every planet in the multiverse and from wherever they're at.
Speaker 2: And is this in in like reality or in a in a virtual reality?
Speaker 7: Well it's gonna it's gonna be in virtual reality with the goggles. That's the ultimate use of it.
Speaker 2: So wow, Okay, everybody's like twin rays.
Speaker 7: I'm connecting all twin rays together. They're gonna have like everybody who can have their own planet. Every male female connections, perfect connections.
Speaker 2: Okay, well I like the idea of this. So what just this is?
Speaker 1: It's very peaceful. It sounds like in your multi diverse Oh yeah yeah, Well.
Speaker 7: You can read a couple of pages every day. It goes back in twenty fourteen, been writing. My brother Paul actually invented a bunch of companies. He started like a citizen portal, dot Ai, Wow and Ancestry and like six lard companies.
Speaker 1: But and you're blogging every day. It looks like I'm looking at twenty twenty four every day. What happened in twenty twenty two? You only had nine posts? What happened there?
Speaker 4: I know?
Speaker 7: Well it's been since like then. Uh, my brother Paul actually he actually helped me edit the first three hundred pages, and then he quit and my sister helped me. She started like the Mormons mothers, like a couple of name mothers, and then stopped with that. But they started not talking about Mormons.
Speaker 1: Well, all I know about the Mormons right now is the Uh there's isn't there a show that everyone's watching, like this reality that people are watching?
Speaker 2: I don't know, Okay, TV. Oh so I'm sister wives.
Speaker 7: You helped me edit by myself the last couple of years. Every single day, oh wow, every day. I ride every day. I can't see them, right, so I can't really drive ride a bicycle, but I can. I can ride every day in my home and that's what I do.
Speaker 2: All right. Well, don thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look.
Speaker 1: You're prolific writer on that site, and I like your idea of the multiverse piece piece for everyone.
Speaker 2: That's a that's a great idea.
Speaker 1: So thanks for the call today, and do appreciate you listening to me, even if I don't understand everything you were saying.
Speaker 2: I you know, I I got, I got, I get the gist.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 1: Speaking of back to real life, Google flights now has a cheapest option.
Speaker 2: This is like, this is what I needed in college.
Speaker 1: Although flights were a lot cheaper back then than they are now, but so cheaper option. So Google, if you go to Google flights, you know that's my absolute favorite flight searching website. You go to flights dot Google dot com. You type in where you want to go, departure dates if you want, if you want to get that specific or just look at the calendar and see the dates in green, and it will tell you those are the best cheapest days. But if you need to go on certain days but you want to get there cheaper, there's now a cheapest tab. This will show you the lowest airfare options, even if they're less convenient. So personally, you know, I'm of a certain age and I want to get there on a direct flight and I don't want a lot of you know, fuss, and so that is what I prefer. But if you just want and that's not always the cheapest, If you want the cheapest fair and maybe you have some extra time, maybe you don't care if you need a layover, Maybe you don't care if you fly to one airport and drive out of another. Maybe you don't care about the third party booking site. These are all the expanded options that the cheapest tab takes into effect. Because most people you know, with with with these search engines, they want the best fare and the you know, the the easiest kind of a combination of convenience and fair. But this is like, no, you want cheapest, we will find you the absolute cheapest. So this might include a longer layover, this could include multiple airlines, It couldn't could include something. It's called a self transfer. I've never even heard of this until I read about this with Google. A self transfer works like this. You fly one airline to a city. As you're connecting city, you collect your luggage, and then you check in at another airline to connect continue your flight. I mean, and those are not you know, they're not sort of like connected on your ticket. It's just like you booked them all. That's that's a wild way to go, but that's another way to do it anyway. So if you're looking for this, if you want cheap, just look on Google Flights and check out the new cheapest tab. It is rolling out, so it may not be on there right away. It was not on there the last couple of times I tried searching on there, which is pretty much every day. But if you're looking for the cheapest, absolute cheapest way to go. Oh and by the way, Google did throw in that right now is the cheapest time to book or the best time to book holiday flights, so that is right now in October. All right, there you go, cheapest. Let's see what else do we have here. We got so many emails from people. Let's see rich from New Jersey. Wait, is this me writing in What's What's happening?
Speaker 2: Here? Am I in? Am I in the Don's multiverse? Right now? I am coming from the future?
Speaker 4: Rich?
Speaker 2: No, I'm just kidding. This is not me, Rich, Rich here we go?
Speaker 1: Rich from New Jersey commented that he loves the show, writes in Hey, Rich, I have the great LG seventy seven inch TV with the Sonos Arc, the large subwoofer, and two so nos one rear speakers. When I bought all this, the salesperson never told me I wouldn't get at most with the ones. I found out I'd need the Sons fives for true at most. This really upsets me because I spent a lot of money. So my question is do I spend another thousand dollars to get the fives or is it not worth it?
Speaker 2: What? I not that big of a difference. I'm considering just staying with the surround sound.
Speaker 1: What are your thoughts? Thanks and love your show. Well, Rich, here's the deal. You've got the ones. How much are those Sonos ones are?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 3: Two?
Speaker 1: Okay? Two pack is six hundred bucks. So two pack is six hundred bucks and you need the fives? For one thousand dollars, So maybe you sell the ones and just upgrade for the extra, you know, five hundred bucks, whatever it's gonna be. If you want the Dolbie Atmost, you've already gotten this far.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you need the Dolby Atmost, but it is definitely People who have it love It is a very popular sound format. And if you're not familiar with what Atmost is, if you're familiar with regular surround sound, it's just stuff that's sort of like left and right right. At Most adds that sort of overhead and three D world around you. It's almost like basically spatial audio. So let's say there's like a helicopter to you might hear it left or right, you know, in the movie theater, this would be hear the helicopter coming from like the back left to the front, back right to the front left, so it flies over you and Dobey Utmost would give you that, and so it's more realistic. It's kind of like it envelopes you in the sound. And I think that because you've already got rich sounds like you like nice stuff. You've got that nice LGTV that's big you've got the son nos ark, you've got the subwoofer, and you've got the sons rear.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think I'm thinking you want to upgrade, but I know you said maybe not, just stick with the sround, but I don't know. I have just regular surround sound seems to be fine. But if you want to get that, then you know I would go for it. Go for it, Richard, you deserve it if you work hard.
Speaker 2: Go for it.
Speaker 1: Eric from a Bismarck, North Carolina, North Dakota, listens on Apple podcasts. He writes in hey, rich do you have a recommendation for the best USB cable to use car play with my iPhone pro Mac sixteen. I have a twenty eighteen niece on Rogue with USBA. I'm looking for a USBA to USBC. Many cables I've tried caused my vehicle to lose connection randomly or produce static. I prefer a straight cable if possible, but I'm open to using an adapter. I enjoy your show. I listen to the podcast almost every week. Thank you, Eric, Do not use an adapter that will probably cause more problems. I noticed this with my wife's car when we got the new iPhone for her, she had an issue with the USBC with her CarPlay. I think that a lot of times these systems were not really they were engineered for one thing, and now we're kind of back ending in backing in some other things. So I did take about three tries with cables before I found when that worked with hers perfectly. So obviously the if Apple has an official cable on their website, that's probably a good way. That's going to be the most expensive. But I would just go on Amazon and search for an anchor cable and get that USB USBA to USB C and also check to make sure that you're the USB A connection on the car is not loose, like if that thing is coming out like it moves left right up down, because it's like an older car, maybe you've plugged in so many times, so if that's loose, I would bring it in to get that kind of tightened up. That could be causing it as well. But I think any any high quality cable, that's the main thing. It's got to be a high quality cable. So if you're buying one for a dollar at the checkout at the convenience store, probably won't work as well. I mean it may, but it just may not with the newer cars. Sure, it's all, it's all pretty simple, but the older cars. For some reason, when this new iPhone came out with USBC from USBA, it got a little bit, you know, that connection just seems a little bit more finicky than the standard USBC to USBC or USBA to lightning.
Speaker 2: Good question.
Speaker 1: Thanks for emailing in, Eric from Bismarck, North Dakota, appreciate. Listen to the podcast out there. Rich on tech dot tv is the website. If you want to send me an email. The phone number is eighty to eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one.
Speaker 2: Coming up.
Speaker 1: Uh the FCC making it easier to cancel subscriptions.
Speaker 2: I'll explain coming up.
Speaker 1: Shanna's in Long Beach, California. Shanna, you're on with Rich Oh Hi hi, hi, So at work.
Speaker 8: I have a work iPhone and I was wondering, I know they tracked me and stuff. Not that I care.
Speaker 7: I'm not doing anything.
Speaker 8: Wrong, but I'm just curious if what what's the tracking app that they use for? Like, and they're there, they can get into my phone, calls and text messages and emails and stuff like that. But like, is there like an app on my phone that I can see that they use to track me?
Speaker 2: Well, how do you know they can get into all this stuff that they.
Speaker 7: Told you this, No, it's just kind of obvious.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, I don't think it's that obvious because typically, especially on the iPhone, they are they are very much locked down to vice. Now, if it is a company issued device, they of course reserve the right to basically track anything that you do on that phone, but with respect to getting access to your messages and things like that, they don't typically have that. Now your emails, of course, but let me I mean, so, the main way that companies can track you on your iPhone specifically, this is iPhone specific. Android obviously much easier because it's a different operating system and there's things that they can do on there that they can't do on the iPhone. But there's typically what's called a VPN or an MDM profile. So this is this is a little app that they can have or a profile on your phone that basically gives them more access than typically allowed. So if you want to look for that on your phone, you can go into settings are you on iOS eighteen or before that?
Speaker 7: Oh it's an old phone. It's an iPhone five.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, that's a that's a security risk in itself. That is I iPhone five. Wait a second, what kind of what?
Speaker 11: What?
Speaker 8: And it still works, it's still fast and takes the updates.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: I don't see how there's no updates for the iPhone five anymore. Oh hold on, let me let me see what's going on. Hold on, let me see end of iPhone five. Hold on, let me see. I'm looking up the end of life date on this. Okay, iPhone five, it's not even on my list. Oh there it is, Okay, iPhone five. This is a twelve year old phone September twenty first, twenty twelve, and it is eleven years ago. They stopped making it and then the software updates ended five years ago.
Speaker 2: What kind of company is this? Why are they giving you such an old phone?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 8: No, it's it's a home health agency. I'm a registered nurse. I do home health, and I mean, if it works, I don't you know, there's no reason for them to buy, you know, new phone for all the nurses.
Speaker 1: Okay, interesting, all right, Well, so the main place to look is general, is settings General, and then there's something that says VPN and device management. So if you go into there and there is a profile for your company, that's where they're tracking you. And so that's the little piece, the key piece of information that gives them the ability to track you in general. Like I always tell people, if you're using a company device, yes, they are probably tracking you in some sort of way. If you're on your company Wi Fi at work, yes, they're tracking you in some sort of way. If you're driving a company car, yes, they're tracking you in some sort of way. If you're using company email, yes, they are tracking you in some sort of way. Now AI makes this stuff a whole lot easier because they're not necessarily looking at your phone or looking at your email, but they're using management software on the back end that will maybe alert them to Let's say you're a home health nurse and you know you go to the same five houses every day every week. All of a sudden, you start spending a lot of time in a different location. There is software that may tell hold on, you may want to look into this, and we're noticing that there's a variation in the pattern and so that's really what these things are looking for.
Speaker 2: When it comes to email and things like that.
Speaker 1: They're looking for maybe keywords that you're talking about, you know, company secrets, whatever. But this, this is what these these software programs are doing. They're looking for things in a smart way. They're not just looking at every single thing you do. I mean they are, but it's a computer most of the time, and if it needs to kind of kick that up to the bosses, then it will say, hey, you may want to review these five things or this website that this person keeps visiting or something like that. But in general, I would always just you know, be aware of that, especially if you're using a work VPN, especially if you're using a work issued computer. There are programs specifically on computers that they can pretty much watch your entire screen.
Speaker 2: Ask your kids they use them at school. Most of the schools have.
Speaker 1: This screen monitoring software built in where literally they can replay anything that happens on that screen any time, so that they you know, if a kid is sending a text or something through there, or an email they write it, they can just call up that screen later on and see exactly what they did and what they said. So this stuff happens, it's there, it's real, and you just have to be aware your your privacy is not your privacy when you're using a work device.
Speaker 2: Good question, Shanna. Thanks for the call today from Long Beach.
Speaker 1: Coming up, we are going to talk about an app speaking of privacy called Permission Slip.
Speaker 2: It's from Consumer.
Speaker 1: Reports and we're going to talk all about that coming up right here on Rich on Tech. All right. Joining me now is Suki Galotti, Gilbert product manager for Permission Slip. This is an app from Consumer Reports that helps you reclaim your privacy.
Speaker 2: Suki, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 4: Hi, Rich, Thanks for.
Speaker 1: Having me, so thanks for being here. Tell me, first off, what permission Slip is all about.
Speaker 12: Permission Slip is all about making it easy to exercise your right to digital privacy by submitting data rights requests to companies on your behalf. So what that means is we tell companies to stop selling your personal information or to delete it.
Speaker 1: And so this, i imagine is something that's like very deep inside their terms and conditions or something like that. When you hand over your phone number or email and say, by the way, you can tell us not to sell this, but nobody ever does.
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 12: So this is, you know, so important because every search, click, and tap you make online it's tracked by these companies, and submitting these requests is one of the very few things consumers have the power to do in the face of that. But as you mentioned, when we did research, we found that the links to exercise these rights are hidden deep in the privacy policies and they can be quite time consuming to find.
Speaker 1: And so, what kind of like what kind of companies do you work with with this app? I mean, I know you don't well, I don't know do you work with them or do you like just you've figured out like how to delete the data from all these companies, and like, explain to me how it works, Like I sign up on the app.
Speaker 12: And then what yes, So the way it works is we send what's called data rights request to these companies. Privacy law in the United States it's a big patchwork of it, and some states guarantee you the right to ask that companies stop selling or delete your data. But as you mentioned, exercising this right is difficult, and even a step before exercising that right, there's this question you asked, Right, who do I tell this to? So Permission Slip has two sets of companies on the app, consumer facing companies and the data brokers. I'm going to talk about data brokers a little bit because these are companies who you don't know, but they know you. They know your address, they know your family, they know your voting registration records, and they sell all of that data for profit. So what Consumer Reports does is we talk to experts and we survey state data broker registries to get a list of the worst offenders and to understand which data brokers own other data brokers and put together Right now we have a list of over one hundred. We're constantly revisiting it and working to expand it. And we tell these companies that you want them to stop selling your data and to ask that they delete your data.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, okay, so and so now I know you have a new like a plus version like that. So permission Slip at its core is free. You can do all this, like a lot of these things for free. But now I know you have this new plus version, So explain what do I get with the plus? Is that the data broker stuff.
Speaker 12: Absolutely, So the short answer is that Permission Slip saves you time and permission Slip Plus saves you even more time, so the process to send a data rights request.
Speaker 9: Can can be involved.
Speaker 12: And so what permission Slip as its core free tier does is we've gone to all these websites for you, both consumer facing companies like home depot or ticketmaster as well as data brokers whose names you might not know, and we've gone to the website and we've extracted the link so that you can send those requests by yourself in one tap, and in many cases, even on the free tier, we actually will send them for you. So if you download the apps, some of these companies have a lightning bolt by them and those are ones that will you know, we will will put we have our team of data data concierges sending these sending these requests on your behalf, even on the free tier, but on the Plus tier, we will give you a much more powerful automation and more human support to send out requests to over one hundred data brokers within minutes. So it can save you really hours of effort. Because even with all the work permission slip has done to get it to be just one tap to send these requests, it's still it's still a lot of time to send them out one by one, and so we have collected a list of over one hundred data brokers, and once you subscribe for Plus, we'll we'll send those requests out. Our data con search team will monitor them, monitor for them, monitor them for you, and work behind the scenes to get as many of those fulfilled as possible.
Speaker 1: But just to be clear, if I you know, I don't need to sign up for Plus to get some benefits out of this app, because this app has been around for a long time before you introduce the Plus feature.
Speaker 2: Absolutely so.
Speaker 12: Permission slip is something that Consumer Reports built because we believe privacy is a fundamental right. And so when you downloaded, you can immediately put us to work to be sending privacy requests for you on the free tier as well.
Speaker 9: You'll just save more time if you send it for Plus.
Speaker 1: Okay, now, what kind of information are we talking about? What kind of personal information? Like do I have to put in like my social or anything like that to ask for them to take it down?
Speaker 8: You do not have to put in.
Speaker 12: Your social So we send we ask for your phone number, your address, and your email address. The reason that we ask for this information is because that is sort of the minimal set of information. A lot of these companies need to identify you within their records so that they can delete you. And we're always we practice the principle of data minimization, so we collect as little data from you as we can to ensure that these requests get fulfilled as effectively as possible. But in terms of what data these companies have about you, they absolutely could have you know your social Security number, your address, your purchase history, so that the data that they have can get can get quite invasive and intimate. But the data that we ask from you is for the purpose of them identifying you so they can they can delete it.
Speaker 2: Got it?
Speaker 1: And then what's the benefit? How successful are you in these requests? And then what's the benefit of having less information about me out there? Great questions like why would I want not want ticket Master to be sharing my data or whatever?
Speaker 2: You know, explain that aspect absolutely so.
Speaker 12: There are so many reasons that it is beneficial to have less of your data out there. The first, of course, is just you know, if you're someone who believes in privacy as a principle, there's principled reasons too, But a lot of those it's election season. A lot of those texts that you're getting from campaigns are because a data broker sold your phone number to a research group. That data breaches, which become more frequent, can have your financial data much more likely if it has been sold by one company to another. Of course, all kinds of marketing that you don't want can can hit your doorstep by.
Speaker 9: Your address being sold.
Speaker 12: So really concretely, you know a lot of these spam techs and emails that flood your phone and inbox are because your data has been sold or exchanged. And there's also much more insidious and kind of inscrutable ways that your your data is propagated that can result in all kinds of you know, little marketing efforts or invasions of privacy that you might not even be fully aware of on the day to day.
Speaker 1: And it's interesting because the thing I get to kick back sometimes or the pushback people will be like, hey, you know, like I'm not doing anything wrong. I don't really care if my information's out there. At the very least, you may spend less money because you're being marketed to less and like that's at like the very least, right, And if all the other bad stuff is not a problem, Like you might just spend less money because they're not as good at getting you, you know, sold on on products and services.
Speaker 9: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 12: It's you know, it's not necessarily that you're doing something you don't want people to know about. But I think it's about the presumption by which you're kind of going through the world. Is the presumption that you're an open book for people to take what they know about you and use it to advance their own interests or do you want to be in control of what you're sharing with who, when and why?
Speaker 1: So do you think companies like literally you said they have a list of like purchase history, Like do you think that that stuff is sold around too? Like I always wonder that with like my credit card or debit card, Like is my bank like telling people like what I'm buying online?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I can't, you know, I don't. I can't speak so specifically whether your bank is, but I but I can tell you that this purchase history and basically everything you do is being tracked or sold on some level. You know, so rewards programs for you examples, many of those can be bought and sold as information about your purchase history.
Speaker 2: That's why everyone has a rewards program. It's not to save me money.
Speaker 1: It's because I'm basically agreeing to Hey, you can have my entire everything I purchase at Target, everything I purchased at you know, the grocery store. It's all on this list that I've somehow said, oh, yeah, you can take this information and market it as you please.
Speaker 2: Yes, a lot of you.
Speaker 12: Know, third parties that are offering to operationalize that reward service for a company. The company might who's running the reward service might not even know, but that that party who is running it for them is tracking your purchase history and selling it.
Speaker 9: We also see a lot.
Speaker 12: Of you know, different companies that are selling your for example, your health data to insurance companies, which can result in changes in your rates. There's been a lot of recent news around, for example, right twenty three and meters and the different ways in which your genetic data can be sold to places that you might not want to see it sold.
Speaker 2: So scary scary stuff. We're gonna leave it there.
Speaker 1: Suki Galotti, Gilbert, thank you so much for joining me today. From Consumer Reports. The website is permission slipcr dot com. Permission slipcr dot com. Download it, reclaim your data and reclaim your privacy. Thanks a lot for joining me today, Thanks for taking time. All right, coming up, we are gonna open up. I could barely drag it in here. The feedbag it's so big this week, it doesn't even fit in this room.
Speaker 2: What am I gonna do? Thanks for emailing. We'll have that in just a moment.
Speaker 11: Here.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich on Tech, rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology. Want to get through maybe a couple more stories before I get into the feedbag, which is overflowing this week. But I want to tell you about Android's new theft detection theft protection feature. If you have an Android phone, you have a new security feature called theft detection lock. If someone grabs your phone out of your hand and tries to run away with it, or walk away with mostly run or like bike, or you know, just get away from you quickly, your phone is now going to use it it's accelerometer to understand that and say, oh, I think something bad is happening here.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna lock down this device. But it is not turned on by default, so you have to turn this on. So what I want you to do.
Speaker 1: If you have an Android phone running I believe it's Android ten and up, which is most modern phones, go into Settings, then search, look for Google, and then tap all Services and then you'll see theft protection and then toggle on theft detection lock. So again, got settings, Google All Services. It's you'll see theft protection and toggle on theft detection in luck, I've got those instructions on my newsletter this week.
Speaker 2: So go to the website Rich on tech dot TV. Hit the newsletter.
Speaker 1: It's the one that says theft protection on it, and turn that on for sure if someone ever grabs your phone. I thought about this, you know the other We talked about this a while ago. Anyway, iPhone users also have a feature called Stolen Device Protection. So it's not the same, but it's similar, and so you can use that to protect your device as well. So if you're an iPhone user, you probably want to enable that too. All right, let's open up the feedback. We've got a lot. First email from Gary in Orange, Connecticut says Rich, thanks for all you do.
Speaker 2: I love the show. I look forward to the newsletters.
Speaker 1: I've got my why security cameras set to send an alert to my phone when they detect motion, but the notification is just a normal one time tone. Is there a way to set up a notification that will continue to ring until I disarm it, similar to a regular alarm?
Speaker 2: Gary?
Speaker 1: I assumed Gary was using an Android, but you know, I emailed him back and said, hey, are using Android or iPhone? But I just told them the solutions. But for Android, you can do a lot with your notifications pretty much anything you want. iPhone not so much. But for Android, I've recommended two apps. First is called Buzzkill b u zz ki ll that will give you a lot of a lot of you know, you could do a lot with your notifications basically anything you want with them. And then the other one I like is called Glimpse Notifications, and that's the one I used on my Samsung device when I wanted d screen to light up when I got a notification, And so that's there. On iPhone, i'd probably recommend just making like a really uploading your own ring tone that's really long and that will just keep going for like, I don't know, I don't know what the maximum ringtone sound is on an iPhone, but that's what I would do if you're on iPhone and Gary did follow up and say, let you know I installed buzzkill you recommended, did exactly what I needed to do. It was extremely easy to set up. Thanks for your personal response. It's great to have a resource. Thank you Gary.
Speaker 2: All right, do rites in.
Speaker 1: I continue to be amazed that the amount, variety and detail of information you provide. This week was particularly interesting had the massive AT and T Direct TV dish announcement massive outage involving AT and T oh this must have been from a couple weeks ago. My personal laptop malfunction, which was like catching fog to fix a plant power outage that affected my home tech setup. The Bank of America glitch affected our church accounts. It's like trying to drive at sixty five when everyone else is at ninety and weaving between lanes. There's no way to totally exist disconnected from this glitching world. Keep doing what you're doing. Rich, we all need you. Thanks Jim from Hollywood Hills Rights in Hey, Rich, I just remembered Henry Radio on Olympic Boulevard in West Los Angeles. Mostly hamgear, but a good source for large air insulated variable capacitors intended for high power transmitter final tuning. Also good for Tesla coils. There's also Federated Electronics sort of like a Best Buy, but mostly TVs and high five gear. I still have my loud speaker system in my home and I don't need a sub. It has two huge oiled walnut enclosures with twelve inch passive radiator instead of adducted port. You're no Leola Port, no better or worse, just different. I listen to your show whenever I have the free time. Nowadays, computers are just a tool for me, not a toy. So enjoy hearing the sorts of problems other have the solutions. Saves me a lot of time having to search on the internet. Thanks Jim from Hollywood Hills. I lived near the Henry Radio on Olympic Boulevard and I passed it ten thousand times in my life. I never knew that that was an actual radio store. Interesting, Rudy, let's see here, Okay, let's go. Mike oh also wrote in Mike from Atlanta, Georgia. He says, I remember going to ad raise for Electronics and Van Eyes. I loved it and Rogers Sound in Canoga Park. Bill from Cleveland says, Hey, great show.
Speaker 2: Rich.
Speaker 1: You mentioned quite often the latest data stealing scams, apps and sites, but at the same time you tend to recommend products such as any Google product as a solution. Recently you spoke about alternatives to Verise and Plus and recommended Google Voice. Google products are aimed squarely at sucking up as much data as possible. We live in a world where we have almost no privacy, so the little we do have we should probably protect. Love the show, and it'd be great to recommend more privacy centered solutions in the future.
Speaker 2: Bill, Thanks for that.
Speaker 1: I actually recommended Google Messages, not Google Voice, but I also like Google Voice.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: Look, I do think I talk about privacy a lot and recommend that. But you gotta you know, if you're not paying for something, you are the product, and so you just have to understand that with some of these Google things. But I do I think I put a fair amount of work into the privacy stuff. Uh Don writes in thanks for the overview on budgeting apps. I paid for a year of Monarch money, but it can't connect to my regional bank, so it lost its ability to connect to two investment accounts, which pretty much makes the service useless to me, so I won't be renewing.
Speaker 2: Empower's been pretty good, and.
Speaker 1: As a Fidelity customer, I'm using the full View program now, which I didn't know existed until you mentioned it. I think the edge goes to Empower because it links to more accounts and can pull in a zilo estimate automatic rather than having to enter it manually in full View.
Speaker 2: Keep up the great work.
Speaker 1: James from Inverness, who listens on WXJB, says thanks so much. I listen to your program every week and enjoy it. When I can't listen live, I definitely listen to your podcast and oh we got more. Andrew from San Diego listens on the radio AM six forty on Saturday and six hundred on Sunday in San Diego. Love your radio show. You're so informative, friendly, easygoing and trustworthy for a novice novice novice like me loved your show about all the brick and mortar electronics stores that used to exist. And Stephanie finally writes in hey, Rich, I was able to shock someone recently with a tip you shared some time ago. I showed a friend coworker how to exchange phone numbers with our iPhones. Just by touching the two iPhones together. He was freaking out. Thanks for all the tips to keep my back pocket for times like this. And we did get more emails about the electronics stores and things like that, but I'm gonna have to hold those until a later date. But apparently you like to talk about the old days, so do I. That's gonna do it for this episode of the show. You can find links to everything I mentioned on my website. Just go to richon tech dot TV hop on the newsletter. If you're not there, you can find me on social media. I am at rich on Tech. Coming up next week, got a cool interview. Patrick O'Neill is going to join us. He is an entrepreneur. Remember those oloclips, those little lenses you would attach to your iPhone before they had the ultra wide lens and all those telephoto lenses built into the iPhone.
Speaker 2: He invented those. He's going to be here to talk about his latest creation.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much for listening. There are so many ways you can spend your time. I do appreciate you spending it right here with me. Thanks to everyone who.
Speaker 2: Makes this show possible, including Adam filling in. I'm rich Timiro talk to you soon.