Speaker 1: Welcome to We Talk Back Podcast, the production of iHeartRadio and The Black Effect Network Talk.
Speaker 2: You're just two unapologetically black women with an opinion who talks.
Speaker 3: What's up, y'all?
Speaker 1: Thank you for tuning there for a new episode of We Talked Back, a show dedicated to you dreamers and chasers. It's your co hosts, a j holiday, your grade a day.
Speaker 3: What's up? Team, I dedicate this episode to you.
Speaker 2: Big bags and skinny bags, I love and everything in between.
Speaker 3: Bitch lost a couple of pounds. You see how you talk about us.
Speaker 1: Bitch just lose a couple of pounds and they start talking crazy about big backs. Okay, right, my stomach stuff flat, though, that's all that matters, Bitch. My whole body could be big as long as my fucking stomach. I literally be talking to my stomach, bitch.
Speaker 3: No, I listen.
Speaker 2: I had to shrink my back a little bit. It was getting out of control. Man, you shoulders.
Speaker 1: I got I got a new tattoo, like under my arm, kind like on that side, Like I'm like, I got this tattoo.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty sure that was laying down. It was nice and flat.
Speaker 2: When you stand up, its folded. I can't even see that motherfucker when you stand up.
Speaker 4: You gotta you gotta tattoo look all his hell, bitch, you gotta feel it like if you open up that flat right there, it's a butterfly, not your butterfly.
Speaker 1: In a cocoon right on my backfat.
Speaker 3: I'm like, yo, I'm gonna get life right there.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be a little keiloid right under that tattoo, and I'm gonna get a tattoo on top of that.
Speaker 3: Ben Serio, Ma, your fucking business. How was your weekend? Goodness, that's hilarious.
Speaker 2: My weekend, y'all. I went to Napoi. I told y'all was going to Napo. I went to Napa, y'all, y'all gotta go to Napa Valley is so beautiful, it's so peaceful.
Speaker 3: It's very romantic.
Speaker 2: I went my sister and her wife, so it wasn't as romantic for me, but I did enjoy myself. I really invited myself on their romantic trip, honestly, but it was a vibe. We went on the train, it was like a four hour train ride, and we stopped at different vineyards and we tasted like twelve different wines over that time, and baby, by the time it was over, I was drunk ass at fuck. I wasn't gonna say it, but yeah, drunk as fuck. Me and my sister and I mean, I don't know, like them bitches could drink copious amounts of wine.
Speaker 3: I had to stop. I had to stop. It was over for me.
Speaker 2: But that was my weekend. I had a good time. Oh and then I shot to La. After I left Napa, hung out in La and then I went to church. I went to Sarah Jake's church, one church, the Potter's House in La and I really enjoyed it.
Speaker 3: M h, yeah, it was great.
Speaker 2: So that was my weekend. I saw a nigga here, nigga there. You know what I'm saying, nothing to crazy and.
Speaker 3: Then sprinkle, sprinkling right one of my friends. He has a So Sunday I met.
Speaker 2: I met a woman in the lobby of the airbnb that I was staying in, and uh, she's a pr person. We got to talking about my podcast and things like that, and I invited her to church with me.
Speaker 3: So we went to church together, and.
Speaker 2: Then she invited me to a restaurant called Gris and Waffles in La and it was run by a black woman and that food was so good. But I was supposed to go hang out with one of my friends and he was like, hit me when you get out of church, let's go get some food. And I didn't hit him because I ended up going with her. And he messaged me that he pulled out his plane and we were gonna fly to Catalina and go to have brunch in Catalina and you ignored and I ignored that, nigga, I missed my private plane experience.
Speaker 3: The gris and waffles was good. Wait, you know it wasn't that good? So next time, what about your weekend? I ain't do nothing. You really lying?
Speaker 1: I do not be lying, like literally, Okay, I am preparing to go to New Zealand, right, so I gotta say.
Speaker 3: My coins, bitch. The plane plane ticket is over two thousand dollars itself. That's gonna be so much.
Speaker 1: No, it's gonna be really nice. So that's when I have my fun. I have lots of pictures and stories for you guys. Okay, yeah, I'm doing much, bitch. I went to Costco this weekend, got me some gas tissue.
Speaker 3: Detergent. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh, Sea bass I love a good slice of sea bass, sea bass. They have the best sea bass at Costco.
Speaker 3: Okay, that sound fair, y'all.
Speaker 1: Let's get into stupid internet news for this week. So Beyonce girl.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry here she is with her country music. Did you listen like that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I listen. I listened. I listened. I listened again.
Speaker 2: My allegiance to Beyonce. You know, I like a couple of the songs on there. I'm not a big country music girl. I like country, but I'm not like a huge country music person. So I feel like someone it's gonna have to grow on me, you know, it's gonna have to grow on me, and I have to like get in my country bag because it's not it's not.
Speaker 1: That doesn't really sound country though. Does it really sound like country music to you?
Speaker 2: The music sounds like country music. She don't sound country over the music to me.
Speaker 1: Right, So especially that song she talk about twerking, Well, she's how does song go get down?
Speaker 3: Get on that, get on that thing, and some ship like that. I like Jolene.
Speaker 1: I like Jolene so that you know, the white folks are there up in an uproar right now about her having remade Dolly Parton's Jolene song because Joelene was begging. I mean lly Dolly Parton was begging Jolene in the not the fuck with her man, I just take her Beyonce. Beyonce is like, bitch, don't come over here with that bullshit. I'll beat you up because I'll beat your ass.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it's a little bit different. Nice little twist on the song, girl. I don't know which one it was.
Speaker 3: It's right, Tyrann. I like that one.
Speaker 2: I like Tyron, that's what Dolly Parton in it. And I like two Hands to Heaven. I love that one because.
Speaker 3: It was a guy on the sound. That's all made me manifest my husband.
Speaker 1: All I know is she was talking about twerking and getting little on the song. It did not sound a country song by any means. It's twenty seven damn songs on that damn album, man or twenty seven entries.
Speaker 3: It's a lot. I just know it. And Beyonce, please don't drop no tour in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: I cannot afford. I'm still paying off I see I put the tickets on uh Clarina, and I'm still paying for the last bitch, don't come out here with no bullshit.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to move this year. Don't start Beyonce.
Speaker 1: I don't think I have an artist in our generation that I just love so much, like I like Beyonce. With Beyonce, I think I love Rihanna more, Right, bitch, I like the older artists whit in Houston, don't nobody, but you can't go to her. Yeah, I've been to a Beyonce concert, but I'm definitely not about to finance Beyonce tickets.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I can't figure my finance no more. That's it. I went to a Whitning Houston concert last year though.
Speaker 1: Indeed, So Beyonce didn't win an award this past weekend at the iHeart Awards.
Speaker 3: I didn't even know they have. We don't get invited to ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I like the album. It's cool, it's cool, it's different. I feel like, yeah, put your feet on the people neck. We take over all genres.
Speaker 2: I mean, because its ours to be getting with in the first place. Let's talk about it. Even the term boy was the term used to describe the black men who wrangle cows, and it was derogatory. You know, the white men were called cow hands. Black men were called cowboys because it was meant to degrade them.
Speaker 1: So and Cowboy Carters is actually was a group people who sun cowboy music country music. Excuse me sun country music or to me, written out of history. You would have never known about the Cowboy Carters if it wasn't for Beyonce. I did like that she included some of the current country artists, like that girl who has that song Buckle Bunny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's dope, She's dope. Yeah. So they're on a couple of songs too. I think it's not black people coming black country music this year. Yeah, we're coming ship, but they come in. I bet you they will. I bet you they will.
Speaker 2: And Kay Michelle she said she got a bouquet of flowers from Beyonce. Uh, you know, celebrating her, you know, experiencing the country realm. So Beyonce is so humble and dope. I love her so much because she got every right to be a nasty bitch if she wanted to.
Speaker 3: I think she is. She just appears not to be. But let's go on to the next stuff. What else do you got going on the stupid internet news shot? Aside from Diddy's stupid ass. Meghan Fox collapsed back at critics.
Speaker 5: So uh.
Speaker 2: There was an interview with Megan Fox and they were talking about her drinking her soulmate's blood, a few drops of Machine Gun Kelly's blood, and she compared it to being blood sisters as a kid and like cutting yourself and like smashing your hands together. When I was a little kid, we did spit sisters and we in our hands and smack them together.
Speaker 6: And like we're best friends, let's go blaying the mud.
Speaker 2: But I'm a country girl and I grew up on like a dirt road where we cought bugs and worms and made mud pies and shit like that.
Speaker 3: So his sisters was normal. That is that a thing?
Speaker 1: And I've actually done the blood shit like not drinking someone's blood, right, but like you poke your finger, your homegirl poke their finger and you.
Speaker 6: Touch them to gout and rub it together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's splitting DNA.
Speaker 1: Now, I don't know, you know, I don't see why taking them people of vampires anyway.
Speaker 2: I don't understand why you would need to do that with Machine Gun Kelly though. I mean, okay, soul mates, but drinking their blood is giving very much vampire in Brooklyn, and I just don't have time for it.
Speaker 3: So now he's your sire, that's what I'm hearing. Yeah, now he owns you.
Speaker 1: Now he like you know, like on the movies when the vampire bites somebody, then they give them their blood right to turn them, to make them like now I own you, right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I ain't with that shit.
Speaker 2: And now I've heard of this in the South where you tall take your your minstrel and put it in spaghetti and feed it to your man and he'll never leave you alone.
Speaker 3: That's why people be talking about women from Charleston. It's a lie. I've never done no shit like that. I would never do that. First of all, how you getting the blood? How'd you getting it? You got holding the cup under your koochie and waiting for something to drop, bringing out your tampon in there.
Speaker 2: Oh, that is fucking disgusting. I don't I don't love nobody that much to be in there squeezing tampa juice, Yo, nigga, Just go if you want to go, just go.
Speaker 1: It's pretty disgusting though, But I don't know, But I'm done something. What about spit people spitting each other's mouths. What is the difference? It's all DNA. Well what about why is that so weird? What about uh?
Speaker 2: The ritual of communion that is representation of the blood of Jesus and drinking the blood.
Speaker 3: Girl, we ain't get.
Speaker 1: These Christians around it while well sorry because I know you are as well, but I don't want to get people all riled up.
Speaker 3: But that is my goal too.
Speaker 1: When somebody started talking about witchcraft and vodoo and voodoo because.
Speaker 3: They don't realize that they are.
Speaker 1: The difference between like somebody an actual practitioner is that we are consciously aware of what we're doing.
Speaker 3: You're being used by this thing. It's crazy word. You are being.
Speaker 1: Used to participate in this thing and you don't know what you're participating in because it is a form of witchcraft. If you are practicing commune and you're eating a fleshmtual.
Speaker 5: To me.
Speaker 1: Jesus Christ, meanwhile, let me eat his skin like y'all tripping?
Speaker 3: Y'all are really I don't do that type of ship the fun anyway, do you kid?
Speaker 2: Somebody said she got nappy hair and.
Speaker 1: The girl, first of all, here's my thing. So I have been not dragged because the bitch could never write.
Speaker 3: But it's men mainly.
Speaker 1: So you know that guy that has that comedic store in Columbia, I forgot his name, is an old man, but he has like a pretty large following on Instagram, so he posts like a lot of esoteric shit, and so he's selling hair oil in his store, right, so of course he's bashing the weaves. So he was posting like a series of videos of how they cutting the Indian women's hair off and shit like that over in India. And I commented, and I said, those women are sacrificing their hairs, their hair to the gods. And I put the black one emoji with the crown on because there is sacrifice in their hair. And who the fuck do you see walking around with and on girl of men was an uproar, calling me an elitist, said I got a god complex and everything else, So be it.
Speaker 3: But it's just the truth.
Speaker 1: When you say things sometimes in the simple ast way, people be fucking mad as hell. So while y'all trying to bash us about wearing and hair, weave hair goes Doja Cat wearing her natural hair right, and y'all still talking shit about that, So which one do y'all want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can't satisfy. I'm done trying to satisfy other people with especially my esthetic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then the nerve of you niggas who have been talking about weaves since whatever. Meanwhile, half the damn men on the internet got a beard and a lace front now, so y'all been talking shit about how we look and our aesthetic for the longest. Meanwhile, y'all want it to look like y'all mama the whole time. But we ain't gonna talk about that.
Speaker 3: But just don't listen.
Speaker 2: I don't knock it because some of these niggas look ten times better with their lace wig on.
Speaker 3: They do their hair better. They do do the hair better.
Speaker 2: But let me tell you what you need to stop is that black paint. Though I don't like that, I don't like that.
Speaker 3: You dating a nigga with a lace front, low weave. I'll put it.
Speaker 2: I'll put that shit on my nigga, right. I don't got a problem with it. Long as it look good, it looks natural, and you look handsome and feel comfortable. I will glue them. I will glue that bundle hair on your.
Speaker 3: Head, that cool hair. It's so weird.
Speaker 6: Though.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we know that women wear weave. I think the men that wear the weave it's just a little bit more discreet.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: So when you see the nigga without his weave, I know a nigga he finally stopped wearing his weave. It probably got too expensive and he just went back to his ball head, which he looks really nice with.
Speaker 3: Just go to Turkey. Turkey, you can go get your hair installed in Turkey. It'd be about.
Speaker 1: Twenty K, but you can get it. I got a homeboy who did that too. He got his whole hairline back.
Speaker 3: I got a stay with you away bit.
Speaker 1: Just be on the plane coming from the dr with the ass wrapped up. It'd be a plane full of niggas, but they had wrapped up.
Speaker 3: I remember.
Speaker 2: It's so funny because she had just got back from the surgery and she had to have like this compression band around her head or whatever. And we was talking shit to each other on the folder. I was like, blat you over there looking like Frankenstein talking shit.
Speaker 3: She got so mad at me. She got so mad. I just joke.
Speaker 1: May be mad when your joke hit hit, Like yeah, oh uh yeah. So the ship with Dojha cats so it says. The singer recently teased her return with a single I can't even m a s C.
Speaker 3: What is that girl? Answer A jes z er child that might be an.
Speaker 1: Right, whose cover art featured a close up of her blonde curls Now, the singer has taken to Instagram Live due to some insulting comments made about the appearance of her natural hair texture. On March Daria Doojah told Viers that she was noticing a consistent pattern of commenters saying her hair look like sheep and pubes and carpet wool, popcorn ship like that. But you know the thing, the thing for me is that what does the Bible say Jesus Christ look like?
Speaker 3: Yep, all right, hair.
Speaker 1: And white people y'all, y'all asses is not from Africa. Y'all don't have hair a wall.
Speaker 3: And it's it's a call.
Speaker 1: And I went to a comments it's a combination of black people and white people on there talking crazy about this. Goddamn here that's what your God looked like?
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 6: Nicks Nick.
Speaker 2: Child Tyler the creator shows Gerard Carmichael.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do he really love Tyler?
Speaker 1: Like I don't know that dude is funny, man, He like regular funny, like somebody who really don't realize how funny they are.
Speaker 3: All right, so, y'all, y'all didn't see this.
Speaker 2: In the premiere episode of Gerard Carmichael's reality show, The Comedia, confessed to falling for the one longtime friend Tyler, the creator y'all. In the self titled show, Carmichael recall expressing his new found romantic feelings to the rapper over text in twenty twenty one, but the feelings weren't mutual. In a six second voice note response, Tyler laughed off his calling the comedian a stupid bitch. Can you imagine expressing your love for someone in there and getting called a stupid bitch?
Speaker 1: I mean, I wish niggas would do that upfront like that then, that way, I don't have to spend a year right still trying to see what we where we are, what we're doing.
Speaker 3: Just call me a stupid bitch right now. I'm not mad at that that I ever called me a stupid bitch? Your life? So mad at them? Is it an adjective? Averb y'all be so mad at them?
Speaker 6: Magic?
Speaker 3: Stupid is the adjective is the bitch. That's the now. We like bad bitch, but you don't want to be a stupid bitch. Facts. It's all about context. God damn, adjectives matter. Yeah, absolutely. I like titled Tyler the Creator. I do want to know, like is he gay though sexual orientation? I don't to know is he like is lol Na's ex Willie gay? Girl? Who knows? Who really gay? Everything is just fluid from here on out. I just feel.
Speaker 1: Like, like Taylor said, Taylor said, she just say fluid. She said fluent, like he's fluent fluently gay?
Speaker 3: Right, but you know what gay?
Speaker 2: I saw this comedian over the weekend, and god damn, I can't think of his name, but he said that everybody's gay. It's not like a light switch on and off. It's more like a dimmer switch. Like you know, it's like a spectrum, like you could be the rock or you could be little nas ICs and it's a bunch of in between.
Speaker 3: So that's what fluid is. Then, Yeah, that we're all fluid. I'm not fluid. You the light switch?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Like at this at this age.
Speaker 1: I would have done everything I want to do by this point, So I'm who I am, so I think fluid. It's like all purpose, like all purpose of self rising flower.
Speaker 3: This is how some people are. They just be doing whatever. Sometimes I feel like I want it's too dangerous out here.
Speaker 1: Pick a fucking side.
Speaker 3: Pick a side. That's how I feel about sexuality. Pick a side. Well, there's so many different scary. There's so many different sides. Though. That shit is fucking scary. It's a what's a sixty sided shape? Octa hexagon? Bitch, I don't know, I'm scared. B is goodness, y'all. I'm settling down, okay, y'all. So I have you know.
Speaker 2: I've been doing here for a minute, and I my my clients range from anywhere from twelve to sixty five, right, I've done women of all ages. And I reached out to some of the ladies that I knew that actually went to Freekneak, and I asked them.
Speaker 3: For a free nick story. So we're gonna listen to them and we're gonna talk about it.
Speaker 5: Okay, So this had to be nineteen ninety. My first time going to Freaknik was a great experience, but a scary one. I remember we were stuck in traffic, traffic, was backed up. We were sitting for like thirty minutes, but it was so many people, people walking through the traffic, and I remember the guys that we were riding with got in an argument with some other guys. I don't even remember what the argument was about, but one of the others dudes just walked up to the car and pulled the gun on us. That was like the scariest moment of my life. I saw my life flash before my eyes and that was my first Freaknik. I did return after that, again a great experience, but that was a scary one for me.
Speaker 3: Not you almost get killed and then come back.
Speaker 1: Motherfucking six flags six Flags of Atlanta.
Speaker 2: But imagine like you're just sitting in traffic and people are just walking through the cars, hopping on top of cars. It's a lot going on. But you don't hear a lot of stories of people getting shot and killed at freak Meat, you know, you know, like there might have been like some violence and some like rape, but shootouts that's the thing of now.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, I don't even remember hearing any stories about anybody like getting jumped or beat down, like.
Speaker 3: How people be beating people.
Speaker 1: To death at events now yeah, okay, let's see next collar.
Speaker 5: Freak Meat ninety four, Me and some friends decided to see what freak meat was all about. We weren't of age. We lied to our parents told him that we had to babysit overnight, which wasn't unusual. So we drove down to Atlanta with our shorter shorts on and our highest plumy tails. God to Atlanta, got stuck in traffic, but we had a ball dancing, jumping in and out of cars.
Speaker 6: Well we happened.
Speaker 5: I happened to jump into this guy's car and he was really nice and back then, you know, we played a little dangerous. So we hung out all day long and into the night. So me and my friends were tired. They told us we can come back to their room to take a nap. So of course we got back to the room. No nap was taken. Me and the guy that I was with. You know, we had been talking all day, so I felt like his little girlfriend and we did things. But when it came down to doing the thing, this man was huge. I had never seen anything like that before, so he could see the fear in my eyes. By this time, my mom was blowing my pager up because she hadn't heard from me all day and I was supposed to check in. So I started crying because I knew I was in trouble. He said, what you're crying for? I said, my mom is paging me. He said, well, yo, mom, how old are you? I said, I'm seventeen. This man like he saw a ghost. I told him I'll be eighteen at the end of summer. He kicked me and my friend out of the minute we were. We headed home. Got home, of course, got in trouble, but I had the time of my life, and the year after that and the years until Freak Meat Stop. Me and guy hooked up every Freak Meek. What a time to be alive.
Speaker 3: Yo, Not you was under age out there about to see that man in jail.
Speaker 2: He did the right thing by getting your ass about there. I see you next year.
Speaker 1: That's just look, those are some smart people at Freak Meek. I don't give a fucking nobody's saying. That's when black people was at their greatest, not your dick so big. I started crying, but I went home for the I went home for the summon practice a little bit, got on that ship for the next few years. I hear that they was in a Freaknik relationship, Like, did you realize that the transcript said freaking meat.
Speaker 3: Because that's what it was. That's exactly what it was. It was a freaking meat age. We got a guest on.
Speaker 2: I don't know if y'all saw the Freaknek documentary on Hulu, but I felt like the documentary was like very I mean, it was good, but I felt like they left out some juice because they want to protect the images of the people who participated.
Speaker 3: Well, we got a guess on today.
Speaker 2: Jay smiles, y'all, and she is telling us about Freaknik from her personal experiences, y'all.
Speaker 3: So, y'all stay tuned. It's gonna be real good, y'all.
Speaker 1: Today's guest been outside because outside been open. You probably caught her funny commentary regarding Freaknik on Instagram. She's a Howard University graduate who participated in the Freaknik Summer Games of the nineties. She's a fellow podcaster who was reminding her audience to never forget to laugh with their show Parenting Up, a podcast creative for caregivers of Alzheimer's patients.
Speaker 3: Y'all, welcome. Jay smiles. We talked, Dad, what's up.
Speaker 1: Look, I didn't realize you were a comedian, like for real, for real, going on?
Speaker 3: You're on tour now?
Speaker 6: Because I know you.
Speaker 3: You're traveling right now?
Speaker 6: Absolutely, absolutely So the tour, the East Coast tour finished up at the top of the year. The West Coast tour is going to pick up in the middle of the spring. So that's ramping up right now as we speak, and we're getting the dates finalized. So I'll do the Southwest and Cali, making my way up to Washington and Seattle and all that, so everybody stay tuned for those dates.
Speaker 3: How long have you been doing stand up comedy? Because I mean you're you're a Howard University in Stanford graduate. How did this come about?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Right, it's crazy, it's crazy.
Speaker 3: That is not something.
Speaker 5: I tell you what.
Speaker 6: I didn't go to school for comedy. And if my grandfather was still alive, he would be like, where they do that at? And why why the hell are you out there making a fool of yourself. I ain't send you to college for that. So Howard and Stanford. I went to Howard for mechanical engineering and I worked for Ford and had a dandy time. As they would say back in the day, what was over. I was in Detroit working for Ford when the American Automotive thing, when we were banging and we were beating Toyota, So that was fun. Worked over in Spain, and then I went to as a mechanical engineer. I went to Stanford Product Design. I loved it for just let made toothbrushes. Did y'all know people actually designed toothbrushes?
Speaker 5: You know what I mean?
Speaker 6: I know normally people just go to the store and just grab a toothbrush whatever might look good with their bathroom. Like what colored toothbrushes do y'all have?
Speaker 3: Like the ergon mix of it all?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: An ergona and the bristle, Like we get down into the bristols like point oh one versus point oh oh two, and you girl good, said y'all, it's a whole thing. People are making millions of dollars on the diameter of the bristl.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's a.
Speaker 2: Big one because some of these bitches think their breastink they need to be diamon.
Speaker 6: Yeah, people talking about Alfiicia your hair fall down people, gun was falling out to y'all. Real talk.
Speaker 2: So so you went from like making two brushes and then you was like, fuck that, I'm about to make him laugh?
Speaker 3: How did that happen?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Yeah, Well there was a pause where I was a lawyer working with U. This is Johnny Cocker had so ship.
Speaker 3: So you hold on, hold on. You went from twoth brushes to a lawyer, to a comedian.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to a hairstyleas that's right, to the drug dealer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all of that, okay.
Speaker 6: Some sprakers, and then I was a vegan cookie baker, so I really was a lawyer. My dad started the Cockran firm with Johnny Cochran, and there was a point where I was about to take over some stuff and do some stuff. But then Johnny decided to die, and I was like, why do you want to do that while I'm in law school. You could have told me so I could have not go to law school. Anyway. That was that, and then my daddy decided he wanted to die. I was like, dude, what for real, that's not cute?
Speaker 3: So oh wow that was traumatic.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it was dad. My dad died. When he died, it made my mom. My mom and my dad were I knew they were close, you know how they talked about folks get being together, and they together too long and one died the other one gonna die. Basically Dad on the couch. Why he and my mom were watching a football game, you know, and with their ninety days, my mom had.
Speaker 3: He was watching the Cowboys, wasn't he, No.
Speaker 6: You hate you hate them? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I do. I'm sorry you like.
Speaker 2: I don't hate them, I just hate their fans.
Speaker 6: He hated them too. He's a Giant fan, but he Blucky Cowboys, Hazey Cowboys, the Giants and the Falcons. Do you like the falcons anybody? No, I just don't like the falcons. They keep looking.
Speaker 3: So you were saying your mom, they were watching the football.
Speaker 6: In the football game, and uh, my dad was just like, yes, I think that's enough for my time here on earth. I think that's about it. Uh and I'm out as sink, you know what I mean. His transitions were always poor and uh that what was too? Yeah, he ain't had no. I was like, yo, bro, this was that was really not cool. But good thing for my dad is he always said, baby, I just want to fucking drop dead. That was his shit and he did so. He was good. He was happy. It was kind of it sucked for me and my mom. Fast forward though, literally like within ninety days, my mom went from being went from being really sharp and very intelligent and running her own business. She's absolutely a wee talk bad kind of chick. And my dad supported that in her and in me. And she was like, if my dude is gone, I don't really know what daity is. Should I eat grass? And should I sleep in the car? You know what I mean? Am I supposed to wear shoes on my hand? This chick just was her out. And so she had Alzheimer's and needed brain surgery like within three or four months. And that's when I became a caregiver. So I stopped doing law and engineering and everything overnight to take care of her. And that shit was hard. It wasn't fun. I started making really poor decisions. A lot of it involved Remy Martin seventeen thirty eight. I think I bought more of they shit for about three years. I helped their stock crisis, for sure. It was me. It was me and Puffy and them girls.
Speaker 3: I got shit. I just gotta disclaimery. If you got dick like that, I wanted Okay, just put it out there. Made me lose my shit in ninety days. Nigga, that's a nigga. I want all right, go ahead, I'm.
Speaker 6: Sorry, listen, listen. I don't want it. Yeah. So it was Rinby Martin seventeen thirty eight, Real talk, a lot of sex with random dudes. I was like, So, I was like, okay, so kanyak random cock. I was like, oh shit, I'm about this close to cocaine. I probably need to pull up right. This is not a good look. My doctor was like, yo, Jay, you try to die before your mama. I was like, well, that's stupid. I'm an only child. And I was like, I'm really not trying to what damn doc, You could have gave it to me a little little mold honey or sugar some shit. And that's when I said, Okay, I gotta find something to ease out some of this stress, right, so I can cope with life a little bit better. And that's how I fell into comedy. I didn't know I was going to fall in love with it and actually make a career of it, which led into stand up in the podcast, which is what I'm doing now. Both of those are full time. But this is where the hell we are. I've been a caregter for twelve years and I just made nine years as a stand up comedian.
Speaker 3: Congratulations to you on that, man.
Speaker 2: You know what it's I find that most of the comedians that I hear about experience some trauma and that sent them to comedy. Like it really is a coping mechanism for a lot of comedians, you know, for themselves.
Speaker 3: They make people laugh to heal themselves. Yes, so that's dope.
Speaker 2: So all right, you have this series called freak Neek Tales. Yes, shit's fucking hilarious. So we wanted to get into that because you know, that freak new Hulu documentary came out and I was so excited. I couldn't wait to see everybody Mama and Aunties that I knew on their but I didn't get to see nobody. They kind of like definitely gave us the PG version. They wanted to keep everybody who had careers now in their careers. They really protected everybody who was at Freakneek.
Speaker 3: But everybody was scared.
Speaker 1: Because online when they when people first heard that the Freakneek documentary was coming out, you had lawyers doctors, mamas, pastors coming out like you know, it was no it was no internet, no cell phones back then. Why the fuck y'all trying to out us now? So everybody was scared as fuck.
Speaker 2: So all right, tell us about all right, your first freaknek, how you decided you was going, how you heard about it, and what happened when you got there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, now that's a lot. Okay, I heard about it, how I knew I was going. Okay. First thing is, road tripping in the nineties was like absolutely a necessary thing to do. Everybody did it. You were going road trips somewhere to do something anyway. So when Freaknick became the thing, it was no big deal to say, all right, this is what we're about to do in ninety I think I'm pretty sure. In ninety two, I was a new Delta, so road tripping, and I'm originally I went to Howard, but I'm originally from Alabama. So now you know, freak Nicks in at atl and I was born in Atlanta, but I grew up in Alabama. So I'm like, I'm about to go home and got this nail your own weddy dudes, at what party? I hope I make it back to class, right, And so it was like, I'm about to come out on these foods, and they're not ready for this because now I'm wrong wrong. I left the South a girl, a little girl, and now I'm about to come back down here. How popping, hid your husbands, hid your kids, because I'm about to be in these streets. And so the idea was they are ready for me. Let me go because now I got some DC and me some go go. I not know house music, I've been you know, dropping it, load off the little loop stuff because I grew up on that, and it was what better thing could you do for spring break? Then go find everybody else that went to an HBCU or maybe went to a PWI and they wish they went to an HBCU. And we about to descend on it, right. And you heard about it with flyers and word of mouth. But that's how you heard everything in the nineties. That's how you heard around the new music that was about to come out. That's how you heard about what clothes were cool. I mean, word of mouth was everything. And flyers, street teams, street teams with all over the world meeting the country putting flyers up on light posts and bus stops, and they were like two colors. They were black and white or red and black, like whatever color the paper was. And then just like somebody had written in black marker black exactly.
Speaker 1: Niggas as manual as a motherfucker manual fucking exactly.
Speaker 6: And you know, you had friends who went to the various with the schools at whatever city and they were like, hell, yeah, come on down, you got a place to stay, or once you get here, just tell us, let me know when you get into the city. And that's what's gonna be. What's up right, And so you've heard about it through word of mouth, and you were like, I'm about to I'm about to be down there, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So so like you that's about to say, you ain't like three homegirls powdered to a cutlass like what happened?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So who was a cartographer? Because who was reading the map? Because y'all ain't have no cell phones? A map quests? So I the hell y'all knew where to go?
Speaker 6: Not? Yeah? So what the best part about it too was even playing in the road trip. So you had a couple of things you could do. First is you could ask your daddy or your mama, Hey, how you get to Atlanta from d c ask one of your professors. Hey, so listen, you were originally from Atlanta, right you? Like you literally are lightweight, just asking real adults because you ain't a real doult. You like nineteen you playing, you barely you playing. You can vote and you could go shoot a gun and somebody in a war, but you don't know what you're doing. You ain't paying no kind of taxes. You are really fucking up your whole life kind of a little bit. Your credit is getting trashed. It's a whole mess doing. Is anybody else a real dolt? You? Like, hey, sodw Hey, so how you which way is Atlanta? You really are just asking random ass adults whatever you see it, like in class or whatever. And you can talk to your mom like, hey, so mama, Auntie so and so Atlanta? Right, so how do you? How do you get which highway gets to Atlanta? Like literally, that's how you just kind of lightweight, just asking little shit like that. And then Triple A was the fucking bomb because anybody who had Triple A, your daddy, your grandmama, anybody, you could just have their number, and they usually gave us their number because they knew you never know where your child is gonna end up, so just give them the triple A number. So if they got a flat tire and they.
Speaker 3: Somewhere with there, my mama shit to this day.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So you had the number and you could call in and tell them, Hey, I'm going from DC to Atlanta. I need a trip tech.
Speaker 5: Girl.
Speaker 6: They would sending to you in the fucking mail. It looked as thick as a damn encyclopedia. It was pages and pages and pages and shit if you did it far enough in advance, or they would just tell you over the phone, you write that shit down, Okay, So take Exit twelve, get Old ninety five, drive three hundred miles, then take exit and you're right, okay, I'm sorry. Excuse me, ma'am. Could you say that over again? My pen ran out.
Speaker 2: A cryptic interesting Damn a bitch like me would have been lost. I would have ended up in Dallas trying to get to at Lana me.
Speaker 6: Look, you know you get up there. You forgot the second page. So then you just pull over, go to the gas station and ask some random ass man at the Texico. Hey, I'm trying to go there Atlanta. Am I in the right direction? Am I on the right highway? No? Baby, you had it. Baby, you had it to Savannah. Okay, what you need to do is get back old, go past, go past those cows and pass that big water tower about twelve miles. Make you turn.
Speaker 1: So what I'm hearing y'all was determined, determined to get y'all heart asses to Atlanta.
Speaker 2: When we see the cows turn left, like that's crazy, I wouldn't have made it.
Speaker 3: I probably would have because that was just what you had to do. You know. That was the way. Let me before map questing all them.
Speaker 6: Things, let me tell you how determined we were. One of my girls, her man just bought her a new car. He graduated before she did, and so he was trying to make sure that she ain't find nothing new. Okay, before she before before they got to get you know what I'm saying. So they graduated, he graduates before she buy him a Look, he buys her a new car. She ain't, No, she need to break the car in before she got on the highway. Baby girl gets on the highway just like the damn car breaks down somewhere in d Damn she leaves that fucking car on the side of the road, towse that car to the toes, that car to the damn dealership, the local dealership get a rental car.
Speaker 3: To the their car. I'm trying to see about this down here in Atlanta.
Speaker 6: A man that brought me the car, You right, I'm saying. She went on to Atlanta to the Freaknick her Man. Next time she talked to him the next day, He's like, okay, baby, did you get back to d C, saying, she said, DC.
Speaker 7: Ain't nobody I've had.
Speaker 3: We went in a car, right, like what you're talking about? Yeah, we didn't even what you talking about?
Speaker 6: It eat? Then't nobody. Just get to Atlanta. Everybody ain't gonna be fine. Just I can get there. One time. I remember times to uh, you know you literally riding down ninety five holding up pieces of paper to the window. Hey, where y'all going? Dudes going down like Atlanta? Us too, us too.
Speaker 3: It's crazy.
Speaker 6: That's our pronoun us. Is the pronoun us too? Us to meet you on Peachtree? Okay, twelve o'clock, nigga.
Speaker 2: So Okay, you made it to your first freak nig, what did you do? Like, did y'all see in traffic once y'all got to Atlanta, Like I seen hear a lot of stories about bad traffic.
Speaker 3: We weren't there, so we're trying to get, We're trying to get, trying to live, Like, yeah, that's what we're trying.
Speaker 6: I got you, I got you. So yes, it was always traffic, but it didn't feel bad. I'm gonna just tell you that that that whole idea of the traffic being bad and being negative, that didn't happen until kind of after the Olympics, Like the Olympics changed the flavor. So I'm not gonna talk about that till a little bit later. I'm just talking about the first couple of years that I went and traffic didn't matter like it did. You didn't feel like you were stuck in traffic because it was all love. People literally just rolled down their windows. You were playing the music whatever, fast ass like sixty nine sixty nine Boys or T. L. Brown, right, dudey Brown, all of that, all of that, and you literally could put your car in park. Nobody was stealing. You could put your car in park and had the damn music still playing, and you could go stand on a dude's car. You know, right now, you can't even touch a nigga's door knob okay without it wanting to cuts.
Speaker 3: You out car.
Speaker 2: You all kind of you could go stand on his car, you know what I mean, and on top of his car, top of the car, and he's like.
Speaker 6: Right, shorty, yeah, absolutely absolutely in the middle of the street, people passing out full people passing out liquor, people kissing and hugging and loving all each other literally like just for that song. And then after that song went, that was the end of that love affair with that man. That was it. Then you you know, you keep walking down the street to the next car and the next song you don't I don't know his name, you don't know my name. Ain't nobody trying to exchange numbers or names. You don't know where nobody lived, where they're from, that's for And ain't nobody trying to su where y'all and trying to ask nobody exchange numbers.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying, oh wait, y'all didn't have numbers like that.
Speaker 6: You ain't have to exchange numbers. Never but I'm saying just because you just because I was kissing you, just because I kissed you, did not mean you were gonna get my number in my name, especially if it was early in the day. If it was early, if the sun was out and we would dance, that's too early. Numbers got exchanged in the dark, like somebody. If it's nighttime and we on Pea Street and we party, and maybe it's time because you know, at dark times, people getting chose. You know what I'm saying, it's time. We were making decisions for the night, where we staying, who were staying with right the room. I mean some people had winter bagos. Folks was ready to winter bagos and driving down. Yeah, people were taking me like y'all was rich.
Speaker 1: In hell back then. No, we talked about nineteen and twenty year olds. Yeah, but about just any niggas in the argument.
Speaker 6: It was where they shipped they money though, you know what I'm saying, like you did might not be able to eat for the rest of the semester, but you didn't really care because.
Speaker 3: I got to that freaky Yeah. Well, okay, so y'all y'all didn't did y'all? Did y'all have cell phone.
Speaker 6: Though not one, nor no pai so pages pages on our here baby, we had quarters, so that's the number to pay phones, yes, which is why you didn't really need to exchange telephone numbers and all of that. With too many people. You're like, listen, listen. Just whoever you were went and around that meant some. By the time night was falling, you were like, okay, because this was right here, might be worth something for the night. Whoever you were playing with what the during the day, because you ain't got for so many courts. You know how hard it was to keep up with a quarter.
Speaker 7: Because I got okay, one of them is to call the dudes that I decided I like today, and the other one is to call my girls to be like, wait, somebody come get me because this didn't work out.
Speaker 6: You need two quarters by the end of every night. Sometimes we because you ain't have enough room, you know what I mean, Because because what if your girl got chosen, you ain't get chosen sometimes and you be like, I don't want to be with his friend. Okay, okay, but you gotta suck it up. If your girl like his friend. You were like, damn, okay, all right, I'm gonna take one for the team, but I'm not gonna be with his The friend is ugly. Okay, I'm not gonna meet with him, but I'm gonna just hang right outside the room in the hallway to make sure you good says, you know what I mean. So if you if I hear something fucky coming out the room, I'm gonna check check on you. But I'm not going in there with his boy. Fuck that.
Speaker 2: So would it be like choosing a different nigga every night, like you might pop some couchie every night with somebody different.
Speaker 6: You could that was available to you if you would like. That was available to you if you would like.
Speaker 3: Hmm, and you want a horror so and you.
Speaker 6: Were not a whore. See, that's that's that's what's so. That's some time I tell you a j That's what I'm trying to tell you about freaking Nick being it before what kinda existed in the Marvel universe. That's what's so beautiful about it, because we had this one set of days where everyone who showed up in Atlanta you knew what it was. You understood the assignment, and you knew it was like this. It was a privilege it was we were proud and it was a privilege to be there, and it was a protected space, right. It was like, all right, we about to do this. We're gonna let our hair down, We're gonna party, We're gonna get it, We're gonna get it in and then we're gonna go back to wherever we live. I ain't gonna see you no mo and it ain't nobody gonna talk about this shit no more. And if I see you, like next year or something with my husband or my mama and the mall, ain't nobody saying nothing. Ain't nobody will be like, oh, bitch, I saw you with Joey uh mouthed by your ankles on top of a pickup truck. No nobody talking about it?
Speaker 3: Right, Oh what a time to be alive. That is women wholes.
Speaker 1: It's probably definitely some new age, new age shit, which is why a lot of the women were concerned. And it feels like it seems like on the internet people were only bashing women that in this day time, people were only bashing the women at freakning. But I definitely saw somebody looking Kouchi through jeans on a documentary and nobody talking nobody really talked about the men and what they did a Freakning.
Speaker 6: The men were absolutely out of control. First of all, we weren't out of control on ourself.
Speaker 8: Because in the nineties there was not a public, open culture of shall I say, a freedom of.
Speaker 3: Bisexual, homosexual or just.
Speaker 6: Freedom homosexuality, bisexuality and definitely transgender. You didn't see that in Freaknik. For the most part, Freaknik was what you saw on display in most of the presentation appeared to be heterosexual. I'm not saying that it was all heterosexual, because listen, I wasn't with everybody. I had a hard time keeper of my own self, Okay, I didn't always know what the hell out so but what you saw for the most part appeared to be heterosexual, right, and it appeared to be college people. Now, everybody might not be in college, but there was certainly college age. And the dudes were absolutely out of control. They had most of them didn't had their shirt on. Okay, a whole lot of them had their like cut off shorts and stuff that you know now they be like the hooja daddy shorts and stuff like that, and they were popping it. That's what I want also, everybody know these dudes were not walking around looking all damn cool and just doing a little slight bopping a two step. These dudes were putting their shoulder and they back into it. They were taking it down, they were scrubbing it. They had their knees in, they back in it. They were popping they dicks as hard as we was copping out, you hear me, because if you couldn't pop it back, we want to actually see that hip thrust.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, let me see that hip thrust he had back.
Speaker 6: Yes, had to be able to dance as uh energetically as we were, or we wasn't fooling with him. We were like what you you're not about to just watch me sweat and grunt and burn all these calories and you stand there like a tree. We wasn't following for that ship. Like no, no, everybody gonna have skin like now, like now, like everybody in this circle doing this monkey dance.
Speaker 3: The Matan calls.
Speaker 6: It was and they did it like they and it wasn't like I couldn't believe dude down there, poppa this ass like a chick. No, they listen, and the ones that could stay down there and popped it hard, would end up with chicks on both sides right, so some chick would be front and back right, And the longer his knees could keep him down there than the most chicks he got. And by the time he got up, chicks are like, so, now, bro, where you had it? You know what I mean? Because you like you got some stamina.
Speaker 2: It's a nigga at work right now rubbing his knees because of that shit you're talking about.
Speaker 3: It's a nigga somewhere right now rubbing his ranney. Like God damn, I need to be replacement.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 3: Can you tell, like a story of something that happened, something that was significant, anything like that memory that was like when you're old, you're gonna be like, damn that year, that moment that freak meek God damn.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, for sure.
Speaker 5: I have several.
Speaker 3: I mean, is there any that you're willing to share?
Speaker 6: Yes? Yes, absolutely absolutely. I have a couple. Okay, I'm I'm gonna go with two. The first one is we uh me and friends. Well the beautiful thing get it together.
Speaker 3: Now I'm trying to start. Is I know if aunties be lying, y'all go ahead. Not clean that ship up in your mind.
Speaker 6: You see it all on my face. I'm like, okay, so now so then what happened was then a hummed you know, criminal a herming bird came saw Jesus, So what with school too? That I want to say is how much you didn't have to just stick with the people you came with. And that's about what this story is about to be about. It's like you. You you came there usually with your girlfriends, or if you were a dude, you came with with your with your dudes, but you didn't have to just stick with them. Like you you normally ended up kind of around a certain block because you couldn't go too much further than that, right, or you ended up add a certain party or a certain part of ped my part, and you did not travel much further than that that particular day, just because the crowd was so massive. But they didn't have to be like, oh shit, I don't know nobody else and I ain't really fucking with heard because we from Detroit, not La. There were there were no turf wars at Freaknik. Didn't nobody give a shit. Okay Howard and spell When in Hampton, everybody got loved, you know, Detroit and New York. Everybody got loved is all good like that. So so I was always a little shall we say, chatty, all right, and I ain't had no problem telling the dude. He was fine and said what's up, bruh and all the good things. So I got lost it from my group. So the crowd was they kept going and I'm talking shit, and so then I'm with some dudes. And then I ain't had no money, i ain't had no phone, you know, So I'm just kind of out there. But this whole group of sisters from the West Coast just took me in. They started feeding me. I'm partying with these chicks all for the whole rest of the day. I don't know where none of my people are. And you gotta understand, ain't no damn cell phone. I can't even get on nobody else's Twitter and say, you know, meet me by the flag pole, no shit like that. I'm just with these folks, clowning with these dudes all fucking day and night. Do you hear me? And then randomly, as I'm just walking down the damn street, one of my girls are like, y'all, Jane, that's where you been? And I'm like, oh, y'all, how come I forgot? I was supposed to even be with them?
Speaker 3: My day went so good?
Speaker 6: Real shit, I wasn't even looking at them no more? Do you hear me? I'm walking down the street with my new friends and these new dudes, and I'm just them to the hotel. Do you hear me? My girls are like, y'all even, and I'm like, oh shit, right, y'all, what's up? Yeah, y'all come over here and me. They're life many and where you going? I was like, y'all, baby, be half. Y'all found me because I listen. I was listen. I weren't nobody even looking for y'all. Do you hear me? I wasn't looking for them. I wasn't scared, and I didn't care.
Speaker 3: All right. See, that's a different time.
Speaker 2: Like right now, you can't even do that and be safe because somebody might harm you, drug you, even the women you know.
Speaker 3: Do you feel like that? Agent?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I said, I did get drugged by a white girl in Europe, A white girl molleyed me.
Speaker 3: That was not a freaking not Molly Molly's you Molly.
Speaker 6: Girl. Yes, dam that's another whole podcast I and I wasn't ready because I said what she Molly herself, which is why I didn't know then what she was doing. She was like, hey, she was like, I had drank up all my drinks and so I'm out there doing all this ship. I'm in Croatia. This like this about before Kobe, Oh this.
Speaker 3: Ship, this happened to you. Yeah, I'm not. You got Molly last year night. You got Molly last year.
Speaker 6: That's why I steal over outside, been over town and should I do this? I do this? So I had finished my drinking and I said, She's like, oh my god, you're so much trying. What you know, I'm about to go, she said, why, I said, but the drinks are gone and I'm about to go to the next five. She said, oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god. She said, oh, get another one, Get another one. I've been drinking this da Da da and she's drinking all the same fucking kind of drink. So I'm like, yo, this hell of Then Molly herself and me.
Speaker 3: In one drink. Yes it was a she put it in your drink.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, it was a couple of black women from Damn America who saw the ship going down, praise all the Jesus and got my black mass and drug me away from her. And then I know it was Molly because the next day I felt fine do I mean like I was. I just threw everything. I threw everything up. But my I was just like what up? I'm all waking up doing toe touches. And they were like, bitch, you tried to run. You was romotion and walk on water like you. Jesus, you were like you anywhere?
Speaker 3: Yeah that I go down, So okay.
Speaker 6: The other way was this. Let me tell you all, okay, I'm gonna do this in real fast. I hit on my fucking cousin.
Speaker 3: Fred, Oh Lord have mercy, and he hit on me back. Did you all right? Tell us the story?
Speaker 6: We didn't know it.
Speaker 3: Y'all didn't know. Y'all was kidding hold on the first second or third cousin.
Speaker 6: No, No, we knew we were cousins. That's how blue out we were.
Speaker 3: He's real, not you fuck your cousin at freaking No.
Speaker 6: I ain't say I funk went too far.
Speaker 1: I didn't say that, now, she said, And they hollered at each other, rumors and.
Speaker 6: See that you go there you go always do too much. So it was you know how I told you, Like, you know, you start out playing with everybody during the daytime, but boyt the night you guys start, you know, decided what you're gonna do. And we walking down Pea Street, me and my girls. We see a nice group. It's about four five of them. It was about four five of us. That's a nice matchup. So back then you don't even try to see does everybody like everybody we all the same height? Funck all that, it's the numbers match. So we headed toward each other and everybody just started flirting with somebody and it'll all work out. And so I see the all this one and I'm not tall, but my father was tall, like I'm about five to My mom was five two. My daddy was six too, So I like tall dudes. He tall and chocolate. I'm like, say less, I'll roll up on this dude and we just talking shit. But like, you know, we like this this him, this me, So we talk and shit. Look it looked like we about to have fight on the playground. We walking around each other. You know, I'm feeling on his booty, he feeling a little bit on me, like, what, so what to do? Showy, I'll throw a nigga, what you do?
Speaker 3: What you got?
Speaker 6: I mean, well, what you doing tonight? Nothing? You got somewhere to go? No way for me? You trying to eat or what what you're trying to eat? You know all this kind of shit. We talking shit, y'all. We rolling around each other talking that I kind of like came up just kind of like about his chest.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 6: So after we decide everybody think everybody is fine?
Speaker 7: Yo?
Speaker 6: Did I look up and he looked down, And when we lock eyes for the first time, we realized who the fuck we are? This is my whole cousin. Like, it's not like we've been talking so much shit walking down the street, like hey, nigga, hey, are you thinking? What you got?
Speaker 5: What you know?
Speaker 6: We do so much shit talking in a crowd. I never really looked at his face, was just looking at this body. And then we liked and I was like, like, I told my girls, I'm going home. I'm leaving right now. This is too much. Where you going I'm running down to They like, wait this, I'm going to church. I'm going to church right.
Speaker 3: Ship. She was about to hook up with your cousin.
Speaker 6: My mama is his Godmama, like I know him, like he ain't no way distant cousin. That's like this.
Speaker 3: I was like, shit, young, your cousin cousin and my girl, he's too cousin. Your cousin cousin know my.
Speaker 6: Real I mean, this is my blood fucking cousin. Like he come to my grandmama house with Thanksgiving.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 6: I was like, I still look at my brother staid, this is too much. There us all too much, all of this. I'm going on going home.
Speaker 3: I would have been like, let's switch. What do y'all switch with?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: So on the documentary on all the people in documentary and were saying that nineteen ninety four was the best freaknique.
Speaker 3: Yeah did you go in ninety four?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: What you had on What you Want? Ninety four?
Speaker 1: Did you have on Kouchie cutters boy shorts.
Speaker 6: By shorts but not Guccie cutters, absolutely booty shorts and I normally I'm pretty sure I had on Doc Martins because I was rocking the boutas shorts in Doc Martins was was my ship? Right? Like I was like, hell, yeah, I want to see but you also I also wanted to be able to like walk, you know what I mean, or like if you were in there in the grass, or if you were in the street, or if you jumped in and out of somebody's car. You know, you need some stability for your ankles. And I like shirts that had something kind of funny on it or something that was kind of like a something to talk about, right, like either like a black Bart Simpsons shirt that we had black. We had Bart Simpsons shirts where Barn had dreadlocks and shit like that. So somewhere that would be like oh sor I say, I see you, I'd be like what you see when you talk about like, you know, plain white ash shirt. I'm gonna give you a conversation piece, yo, man, Come on, baby, what your mama told you to sell me?
Speaker 3: What would you say made ninety four more special than the other years? Or do you agree with that?
Speaker 6: I do agree with the fact that ninety four was the best year. I think, uh, it was kind of a map. It was a combination of things. Number One, I think the word had really gotten out about like just word of mouth had traveled real good by then, right, and the Olympics hadn't happened, right, Like, you know, I think if the Olympics. Now, I'm happy that the Olympics came to Atlanta overall, but if the Olympics didn't happen in ninety six, I don't think ninety four would have been in the ES the best year. I think in ninety six, you know, I mean, I think every year would have continued.
Speaker 3: That was like the peak for Freaknink.
Speaker 6: Yeah, ninety four was the peak because of the Olympics. That's my personal opinion. But when the once Atlanta secured the Olympics, then the city changed the way they responded to Freaknik. Not that the Freaknik goers started to change what we wanted to do. When the city started to change how they allowed where we could go, then that changed the freedom we couldn't. We couldn't just kind of flow and meander and be it. You know, it made it way too restricted. I personally believed that the dynamics of Atlanta getting the Olympics made the city this Well, no, then that what made you stop going.
Speaker 9: I moved, I graduated, I graduated college, and I moved to Detroit because I was then an engineer for Ford and.
Speaker 6: Therefore sent me to Spain. Right, So it was a combination of I I was no longer uh, I wasn't even in the United States, and I heard that things were changing, and I was like, well, damn, they're not letting us kind of meander and mingle. That's that's what it was about, like the freaknik being. The destination was Atlanta, there was no address. The address was Atlanta, Georgia. You were not trying to I don't think I ever. I don't know that I ever made it to pee my part. I really was trying to remember. I don't ever remember actually putting my on peed my part brass. I don't think like I think I kind of saw. That's the part down the street, right, I see it. There's like two blocks away. I ain't never quite get there because because who cared. You didn't nobody I didn't care about, and you didn't care about who you saw. You didn't care if you made it to the official concert or the official party, that not that matter. And so I graduated from college from Howard in ninety four, and then, like I said, I moved to Detroit, and then Ford sent me to Spain. And so there's logistics. But then It's also that I heard how it was changing, and so that's what kind of made me stop. But I firmly believe if the city of Atlanta, and I'm not I understand as a businesswoman, and I mean I'm a very small businesswoman compared to the City of Atlanta, But as a businesswoman and an entrepreneur, I understand Atlanta had a decision to make You're about you're trying to play ball on an international level. Now, it was the first time Atlanta was given an international platform. And what you're gonna do? Right? Yeah? And so freakent coming April, and the Olympics are coming in the summer. What you're gonna do.
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: That was one of my questions as an adult. Now looking back, do you understand why Freaknik needed to be canceled? And aside from the Olympics and all that, just all the different reports of all the violence that was taking place out there after I think might have been after ninety four, maybe when.
Speaker 3: Who weren't going to college got ahold of it.
Speaker 6: So you got the dope.
Speaker 1: Boys coming, all the niggas coming up from Miami, the niggas forty years old coming to Roman coming.
Speaker 3: You know, so do you see now why it needed to be canceled.
Speaker 1: We're from South Carolina, so we got olaf Fiers weekend.
Speaker 3: Did you ever attend Demi? Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you think Freaknik could be successful today in Atlanta like it was in the nineties, No.
Speaker 6: Not the way it was the nineties. But I do believe that the spirit of freak Nick could be successful, Like you know, the spirit of freak Nick. Just meeting a HBCU spring break something done by somebody. I think that could be very successful. But what we did in the nineties was so organic. The coordinators of Freaknik didn't mean which which is what you see the documentary. They didn't mean for They didn't know it was going to morph into what it was, right. It's some things you gotta just starting, and then the people take it to what they wanted to be. You know, Freaknick. As you've seen the documentary, it was just it was hb It was the Au Center. So people at Mars Brown, Clark, Moorehouse, and Spelman who could not afford to go back home for spring break. They were from d C. And they decided we're going to have a.
Speaker 10: Picnic and we're just gonna hang out for a day or two just because we don't have nowhere else to go. We don't want to stay in the dorm all damn week, because everybody else went somewhere for spring break. Maybe they went to Bikers to Black Bikers Week, or maybe they went to Daytona and so, but eventually everybody said, well, shit, we now want to go to Freakentin if we want to be.
Speaker 6: In Atlanta and be together. And you know, I believe what happened was after Atlanta got the Olympics. Just it's kind of like what happens with super Bowl when people go to the super Bowl. Because of the Super Bowl, a whole lot of people who don't give a shit about football end up going to that city to do illegal or immoral things and to take advantage of people that might be young or weak or whatever. That's the same thing that happened, I believe after the Olympics. So after the Olympics, you just got people in Atlanta who are just trying to make that money on whoever, on anybody in Atlanta that might be weak or vulnerable. So they just hung around Atlanta. And so when Freaknick rolling around, they're like, oh, shit, you got all these young college kids, they have a really good time for a couple of days. They might be drunk, they might be high. Oh both. Let me go ahead, let me get this. I'm gonna try to do some sex trafficking. I'm gonna try to put some of these girls into the prostitution. Okay, what's the same thing that happens at NBA All Star Weekend or Mardi Gras. But why are you gonna try to act like it's different just because it's Freaknick. Whenever you get hundreds of thousands of young people, even at like right, well, when all the white kids go down of Fort Lauderdale, they're doing the same shit. They do the same stuff. They're trying to pluck young girls, they've put them into the system and go sell them out of the prostitution somewhere in Taiwan. But the problem was because because of the Olympics in Atlanta needed to look clean. You had to fix it, Benny, Benny, benny fast. So I'm not against them, say hey, rather than let freak Nick become totally negative, let's end it. Because it didn't have any parameters, like there was no one place to put it. There was no one place to take it because Freak Nick was a street party on all the streets of all of the Atlanta you know, So so what could so what can you do? I think for something like Freaknick to be successful, you really have to. It has to start organically from a pure place, the way the first one did.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But see now, even down in Miami, they're trying to get rid of Memorial Day weekend down there too, where black people tend to gravitate. You got all the locals like, don't come to Miami this memory of they weekend. They have like commercials about the shit.
Speaker 2: Now oh yeah, spring break too, don't come to Miami for spring break?
Speaker 3: Where are the kids to go? You know?
Speaker 2: Like is there anything black? Is there any black event for black college students?
Speaker 3: Right now? During spring?
Speaker 6: They shutting down Miami.
Speaker 3: Not really, not really, They have to wait for home coming.
Speaker 6: Why they shutting down Miami again?
Speaker 2: Damn, I should have been twenty the nineties. They just said they don't want them to come there no more.
Speaker 1: You know, because I mean people go to Miami, but then the locals they don't want those locals from Opa Laka, the Haitian niggas coming because the one time I went, I was like, Nah, never fuck again, because it don't even matter if you fully clothed or you're ass hanging out. A nigga is trying to put his hands on your anatomy and I don't go for that shit because I ain't come back for that.
Speaker 3: And it's bitch as that came for that.
Speaker 6: Like it's hot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they don't care. I'm bitchous. I'm you ain't come for that ship. Shut up. I just be telling jokes. These be jokes. Please don't think you could motherfucking touch me out right getting shot.
Speaker 1: Do you think freaknik influenced today's sexy reds and all these people that the aunties because we you know, people might consider us aunties. We talked about how people are out here wilder now. But do you think like the environment, like a freaknik environment, that whole kind of influence what we see now because we're talking Uncle Luke, we're.
Speaker 3: Talking about Howard. Yes, I think, what do you think?
Speaker 6: I think it was a part of like the pebbles that just pushed forward women having more say so the whole we talk back now in a more but the front part like Freaknik before the Olympics. I like to kind of say the nineties, I mean free Nick from the eighties to like I'll even say ninety five just before the before the Olympics, because it showed that was kind of the beginning of where you really Before then you didn't see women as much having controlled or having something to say. But that was at the same time where Salt Pepper was then coming out with their videos, like you mentioned aDNA Howard or Quainn Latifa, So you had emc light. You had these artists that were our age, who yeah, who are exactly who were also saying things that that were letting the world know. We got something to say. We talked back, you know, we got something to say right now about current issues, either about who we're dating or the money we want, how we want to dance, what we want to wear, how want to wear our.
Speaker 3: Hair, on women more agents.
Speaker 6: But we didn't come out of Freak Nick saying all we gonna do is we did not We didn't pussy come out of Freaknick saying all we're trying to do is get a nigga to give us some money and then and then fuck you and then you kiss my ass and then you know, Cake rocks nigga. You know what I mean, Because that is like would be technically tearing apart our community. And that wasn't the purpose of Free Nake. The purpose of you know, the Freaknik that I supported and went to wasn't to say, I'm about to go use these niggas and it just you know, have fun, half sex, get a whole bunch of food, and then and then trash all black men for the rest of my life. No, you know what I mean, Like, we're all supposed to come up and get up, get better. Let's make money, Let's make love, Let's have love, Let's make babies, Let's get married. Let's take over Wall Street. That's take over the world. Let's get private jets, let's have houses, Let's get guccie bags. But let's do it all together. It's not ended up hating each other.
Speaker 3: Well we so this.
Speaker 6: Whole gotta take it from you to get mine because you ain't ship. That's that's not Freaknick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because Freaknick the girls that Freakingik went on to be lawyer.
Speaker 6: Comedians, President of the United States.
Speaker 3: For that party, got that hand.
Speaker 6: That's that's something that was, and I was telling that to some of my younger cousins. I was like, yeah, the thing is, we did all of that ship. And also on the way back from Freaknick, I had legit an old school ass flashlight in the backseat of the car doing my calculus homework on the way back from Freaknick because I'm about to turn these fucking pages in because i still got to go to class, because I'm not about to get fucking put out of school, right because I got it grind, I'm still get this job before and they still about to still meet the spring the goals was different.
Speaker 2: And I'm also out of quarters, so right, the thing was we all win.
Speaker 6: It, right, the thing was, And now what we're gonna do at Freaknik, though, is we're gonna party our ass off in a way that we can't do anywhere else, right, like, because that was so big and then in the nineties and at HBCU's period is you can be your full self, right, you don't have to worry about race being an issue. So because we did go in the eighties, we would go to the white spring breaks because we had no all the spring break right, so they if you could You would try to get to dayte to beach or you would try to get to whatever, and you were like, they don't they don't want us here. They're not they don't want us on their beach, they don't want us at the little restaurants and all that. So when freak Nick started to expand, it was like, oh shit, every party, every parking lot, every the hood of every car, I'm welcome. I can't do no wrong. Like whoever I start dancing with, he gonna dance back. If everybody got a cool a beer or drinks and hunch punch in their car and all you gotta do is walk down the street with a cup, is somebody gonna pour you part of their beer in it? It was fake, but it was like the biggest, baddest family reunion. But to what related to nobody? It's such at one time it was really my cousin.
Speaker 1: Listen, we have a segment on We Talk Back called dumb bitch stories or for the men. It's a SIMP series, So we want to know a time where you got played by that same opposite sex whatever it is, but yeah, you got a dumb bitch story for We Talked Back. We want to hear it when we come back after this commercial dumb bitch stories.
Speaker 2: So because we've all been a dumb bitch at least once or twice.
Speaker 1: All right, y'all we back, Jason have a dumb bitch story for us.
Speaker 2: Well, I was, I was the dumbits, right, we're trying to make everybody feel okay about these experience.
Speaker 6: So dude was telling me we were just supposed to be friends with benefits. We agreed to it. That's all we gonna do. We're gonna be friends with benefits. And I was like, right, this is great, this is all I want. And then dude, by the year into it, he said, Jay, I want to take it to the next level. It's time thing to the next level. And I was like, I don't want to do it. I don't want to do it. I don't think it's right. I don't want to do it. But y'all all, y'all know how sometimes it just the presser gets too good. And he was good, and it was good. All the things was good. He was like, please, babe, baby, please just let me try. I want to be more. I think we can do it more. I want to be more. I think we can do more. So I said, Okay, we're gonna do more. Let's be more, Let's do more, all right. I love scuba diving, so I went scuba diving, y'all. I went scuba diving and believes. All right, So I go scuba diving. The way you get to this place where I'm scuba diving is one fucking plane in the morning and one plane in the afternoon. Only four people can be on the damn plane going and coming. I'm leaving the plane. I'm leaving on lands. Some people get off. It's this nigga at his fiance. Yeah, your man, my me and my me and my man.
Speaker 3: God, damn man, believe that bitch Beyonce LANs.
Speaker 6: Four people get off this the plane I got to get on to go home. Four people get off? Is this motherfucker and a bitch with a ring on her finger? And I look up and I said hey. He said said you you you wanted more?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 6: And I called him, called him over. He said, yeah, we need to talk. I say, nigga about what mhm, she got a ring on?
Speaker 3: God, that's your.
Speaker 2: Right, because how are you running to him and believe on a plane to go Scooba diamond.
Speaker 3: It's crazy. That was like God.
Speaker 6: Were playing folks see it and you told that fool okay, like a couple of months before, I just said, all right, we can we can go ahead and be something. We can go ahead and be something and do something.
Speaker 3: And he was.
Speaker 2: And then did she say something to you? Did she look confused or like what happened? You didn't say like that's my man.
Speaker 6: Nobody else American at that whole airport, but she knew what was up. I called that nigga over and he came right over to me, hugged me, kissed me. She played her role and just walked right on into the airport. She ain't stopped. She ain't say nothing to me.
Speaker 3: Shame.
Speaker 1: That's really not a dumb bit like you weren't a dumb bitch. The only readon you would be a dumb bitch is if you continue to fuck with him after that day?
Speaker 3: Did you? Yeah, a little bit, but you still see that's the dumb bitch part.
Speaker 6: I didn't.
Speaker 3: That's done. That's when he came, come on, baby, don't add like that. You know ana love you, You know a nigga, love you, girl.
Speaker 2: Tell everybody where they can find you.
Speaker 6: Instagram, j smouse Comedy, the single letter J Smiles Comedy. Then my website is Jsmiuscomedy dot com. My podcast is parenting Up. It's on uh Spotify and Apple and uh. I think that's that's the best ways to get at me and the outside being open. A comedy tour will be. Like I said earlier, the West Coast portion of the tour will be coming up in the latter part of the spring, so look out for those states.
Speaker 3: And we definitely got to look out.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for joining us. This was so much fun. I almost felt like I was dead. I wish I could have gone. Man, damn, I wish I could have gone.
Speaker 1: We definitely was planning, low ass, bitty ass little girls planning to go to Freaknick. Really y It's like we was really gonna get there, absolutely sure.
Speaker 2: Nah, I wouldn't. I didn't even have no plans. I knew that wasn't in the forecast for me.
Speaker 3: I was pissed.
Speaker 1: By the time we got old enough to actually maybe go, it was over with, it was done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely well, thank you so much Ja Smiles joining us last week.
Speaker 6: Oh so much, so much. Keep doing what you're doing. I love your energy, I love your brand, I love everything about we talked back.
Speaker 3: Hey, thank you girls, we appreciate it. Y'all heard that listen.
Speaker 1: So if you enjoyed this episode, tune in every Thursday on the Black Effect podcast, iHeartRadio app, wherever the fuck you get your podcasts at.
Speaker 3: That was right, Tammy.
Speaker 6: A. J. Holiday on the Ones the Tunes Kicking.
Speaker 2: Tam, y'all, It's official. Tambama on Instagram, y'all follow me now. I remember speak now.
Speaker 3: I'll never hold your peace, bitch.
Speaker 1: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows,