Speaker 1: I am all in. Oh, Let's kiss you.
Speaker 2: I Am all in with Scott Patterson, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: All Everybody Scott Patterson one on one interview with Sarah Forrett. She played the role of an a fair child for one episode two thousand and four. It's their only appearance season five, episode ten, but not as cute as Pushkin her characters Anna. She's currently a student chi Chilton who head Master Charleston asked Roy to show her around Yale and boy does she get shown around a little bit about Sarah. She has known for a role as Sophie Curran Beautiful People. Her first on screen appearance was a role as Tina Paulson an episode of the police Procedural television series New York. In two thousand and five, she joined the cast of the ABC Family show Beautiful People as Sophie Kershy. Appeared in two two thousand and six films, Carla and Pope Dreams and one two thousand and eight film American Crew. She also appeared in episodes of the Hard Times of R. Jay Berger and Zach Stone Is Going to Be Famous, as well as Criminal Minds. She's an episode of that Supply and Demand. She had guest roles on television shows Gilmore Girls, Clubhouse, Moonlight, and The Mentalist and Ladies and Gentlemen. Here is Sarah for it. Sarah, welcome. Tell us how you got into acting.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I got on an airplane and moved to LA.
Speaker 3: Always knew it was something I wanted to do. I saw.
Speaker 2: Andrew Lloyd's Weberfan of the Opera when I was a kid, and just watching these people on stage. My mom took me and I just remember seeing them live like they were in another moment right in front of me, And it was just always something I wanted to do.
Speaker 1: And so you came to LA from where?
Speaker 3: From Texas? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's where I came from, but Louisiana originally all throughout the South.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you were seventeen. Were you giving any advice coming to Hollywood at such a young age. You came with your mother and your father. I just came with your mother. You came at seventeen by yourself.
Speaker 2: With their blessing too. I can't believe it. I was a lucky one for that.
Speaker 1: Wow. So this was your second role in Hollywood. What do you remember about your audition for Gilmore Girls?
Speaker 2: I remember Jamie Rudowski and Mark Casey were amazing casting directors.
Speaker 3: Shout out to them. I remember going on to the Warner Brothers lot.
Speaker 2: For that audition and my note for the callback was keep everything, just be faster. So yeah, I just remember a really inviting room and that just continued on through my whole experience with Gilmore Girls.
Speaker 1: Had you watch the show when you got cast?
Speaker 2: No, you know, I was like so busy and working my day job and acting class. I wasn't a big TV watcher at the time, but I certainly knew that it was a beloved show. Yeah, so I watched it in syndication since become a fan.
Speaker 1: Do you watch it a lot? They still watch it?
Speaker 3: No, I mean whenever it's on.
Speaker 2: I love to hear the sound of those familiar voices. They you know, the creators were so incredible at making a world that you just want to immerse yourself in, and so it's like familiar and I'll leave it on in the background for sure.
Speaker 1: So you played a giddy high school student seeing college for the first time, visiting Yale? Was it easy to get back into the headspace of a seventeen year old? By the way, how old were you when you got the role?
Speaker 2: Oh, I was probably about nineteen or twenty.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, yeah, so question applients.
Speaker 3: It was so easy.
Speaker 2: I played myself in that role so much just getting to watch Alexis and everybody. It was just like a masterclass. And I was in awe and that character was so enthusiastic and bright eyed and bushy tailed in NII, which is close to home.
Speaker 1: So how'd you like working with Alexis? Tell us about that.
Speaker 2: You know, she was it was as if it was a neighbor that I'd known forever. She was so comfortable and welcoming, and I remember she would get her she would, you know, get to the set for rehearsal and she'd have, you know, like three pages of monologues and she would say, Okay, I'm gonna stand here and i'm gonna hit here, and i'm gonna I'm gonna say this, and she disappear and then she'd come back and it was just effortless.
Speaker 3: It was just it was it was.
Speaker 2: It was really amazing how she was really gentle spirited in nature, but she would really command that set as such a leader. Really nice watching her.
Speaker 1: So is there a scene that you did that stands out the most to you?
Speaker 2: I remember the library scene, walking around that that library, and uh, I was I thought Matt was the cutest guy I'd ever seen.
Speaker 1: You got zukereed away.
Speaker 3: You were right?
Speaker 1: He as matter of fact, he did it to me. I fell to when I saw.
Speaker 3: Those Yeah, and just watching him in Alexis was so fun.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, their chemistry was palpable. Even just didn't rehearsing. But yeah, I left that set. Uh, their their their dorm room was really fun walking around. Those were probably the standouts.
Speaker 1: Where did you actually shoot that stuff? On?
Speaker 2: The Warner Brothers lit on the stage.
Speaker 1: So they built all of those on the sound stage. I thought you were out at U C. L A Or Chaplain College or Loyal or someplace like that, but you were. They built a set on a sound stage all that stuff. That's fantastic. So you later got cast his main character on the show Beautiful People. What was your experience on that show?
Speaker 2: Well, that was the same casting directors Amy and Maara really really changed my life.
Speaker 3: And that was shot. Now are you Canadian?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: No, you're just working up in Canada now, right, Okay, So we filmed in Canada, So We went up to Toronto for two seasons of that, and that was in a lot of ways that had an essence of Gilmore Girls. It was a mom and two daughters, and so there was I think a connection to that, but it was an ex It was a wonderful experience.
Speaker 1: So that's great. They hitch up for another gig. That's wonderful. So your last on screen credit was twenty thirteen. Did you retire from the business or what's going on?
Speaker 3: No, retirement was never the word, but you know, I was.
Speaker 2: I had been an adult woman playing teenagers for quite a bit and then I found myself kind of caught in that woman child space and I didn't quite.
Speaker 3: Know how to kind of present myself.
Speaker 2: It was I needed to go live a little bit of life, and not that I was consciously aware of that, but it happened, and I stepped away and fell in love with my now husband and had two children.
Speaker 1: Oh wonderful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks, And we looked away for his work and then found an opportunity to come back to la and here I am.
Speaker 1: So you're so you're back pursuing it once again. Oh that's wonderful. Well, good luck with me.
Speaker 4: Thanks tell Us a little bit about your training back in Louisian or Texas or what kind of theater you involved in or classes.
Speaker 1: I mean, were you studying back then before you came to LA.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was always on a stage. It was a ballet from three on.
Speaker 3: And then I.
Speaker 2: Broke my foot and just had a friend who was auditioning for a local theater show and said, you want to do this. It was Westside Story and I auditioned, and from then on I was hooked.
Speaker 3: It was theater, and I.
Speaker 2: Was in Little Rock, Arkansas at the time, and I had a fantastic public school program with gifted and talented program with different schools that the Clinton's and Mary Steain Virgin had poured a lot of money and time and care into building. And so I got really involved in those programs and just did a lot of theater and graduated. Knew I wanted to graduate early and pursue acting in Los Angeles. Now. My parents gave me their blessing, I think because they knew that there was no stopping me. You're saying no until I came out here and just hit the ground running. Got into an audition class here and met my manager and the rest is history.
Speaker 1: So people when you were growing up were going saying to your parents, you know, she's she's very good. She's a real natural with this. You should encourage her. She's she's really So did you separate yourself from the crowd? In other words, were you Were you really so talented that it was it was obvious, and so you just sort of kept going.
Speaker 2: You know, that was not my thought process ever.
Speaker 3: It was just the love of.
Speaker 2: For me, I feel so seen, I feel so free when I watch something and I see myself. I feel less alone, right, I feel my pain lights. And so for me, it was always about watching those things. And then it's like the most selfish and generous thing I have ever experienced, absorbing all of the stories and films and plays and books and everything, and then also getting to be a part of the storytelling and helping people to feel less alone and.
Speaker 1: Less What are some of your favorite films?
Speaker 2: Oh, give me a Paul Thomas Anderson any Yeah, and therefore.
Speaker 3: Daniel day Lewis. But you know, I will eat up anything.
Speaker 2: I'm not a big comic book person, but I like all genres. I mean, Kate Blanchette is one of my favorites.
Speaker 1: The Queen. She's I think she's the most extraordinary talent to come along, and there years absolutely, I don't think I think she's there's There are a couple of actresses that I might put up there with her, but it's I think she's reigned supreme. I think Miranda Richardson is way up there. I think Olivia Williams is what I mean. There's obviously people that no one's ever heard of, you know, that are working on the stage, that are also brilliant, But I'm talking about, you know, people that came from the stage and they they occupy the film space.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she keeps doing that, and I think that's why she stays so relevant, so unpredictable.
Speaker 1: She's very involved in theater back in Australia with her husband, her I think her husband and her there are artistic directors of the Australian National.
Speaker 3: Theater right exactly.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, just doing amazing work all the time. It's kind of crazy. Uh Yeah, she's setting the bar really high. And and so it was there So you mentioned seeing Andrew Lloyd Weber and being struck by what the actors were experiencing right in front of you. This alternative reality that you wanted to climb into because they made it so vital and thrilling. You know, live theater, When live theater's done, well, there's nothing more vital or exciting. I mean, there just really isn't. So you got caught up in that. Do you remember the scene? Do you remember the actor? Do you remember a particular moment in that production that sort of you know, the switch went on and said that's what I want to do.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was certainly Christine. It was the role of Christine. You know, I think as a young girl watching a young woman, and it was the music and everything, but like I said, it was just seeing someone on stage that I knew I could touch, and they were right there, but they were so immersed in a different moments that I escaped with them, and I think, you know, I mean that's a that's a not a new story for an actor to to love to escape into stories.
Speaker 3: But that's what did it for me.
Speaker 2: Was just just taking me out of my current moment and being in another world completely submerged.
Speaker 1: So that love of acting or singing or whatever, dancing, that that act of performing, the love of performing, that's what made you pursue it as a career. That's what made you and and and you knew from a young age that it really was just about, you know, acquiring a set of skills that people were going to pay you for.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, that came later, but yeah, it was it was it was just the story telling. It was just the I'm an only child. I come from a very small family. Uh, you know, we never had a lot of money, but we always had rich imaginations and and you know, like my mom saved a lot for those tickets the Phantom of the Opera and going to just just it immediately, I knew immediately that there it's a whole world of artists. That that show opened me up to what the world of artists is. And it's such a warm, welcoming world full of different kinds of people from all kinds of personalities, backgrounds, flavorings, whatever, what have you. And as an only child is kind of a lonely childhood, that world always welcomed me and made me feel like I felt like I belonged. And I think that that just fed my desire to learn more about about it and in every way, you know, and I think my real respect and appreciation for the craft actually came after walking away and coming back.
Speaker 3: I mean, I feel like a brand new actor now.
Speaker 2: I was really naive and and enjoyed. I played the kids really well. As a young woman, I played I played younger roles, and now coming back, it's like it's this absolute respect for the craft and the people who who want to teach, that want to be a part of learning more of it that turn me on.
Speaker 1: Now here's a question. So you're back in the business. You're back in the game. Yeah, you're a mother. Yeah, you've got a lot more life experience to draw from. Wow, your heart has grown exponentially because you have two children. You understand and the meaning of life now right? Yeah, So who do you want to work with? Name your top male star, top female star, top director. If you could do a film, and you had one film you could do, that's it. Who would your director? Who would your co star be? Malee? Who would you co star female be?
Speaker 2: Okay, after you, after I get you and I out of the way, uh I then, so you know what, I fell into a blackbird hole and I got so obsessed with Paul Walter Hauser.
Speaker 3: Did you see that? Did you see Blackbird?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: Let me sign me up for Paul Walter Hauser and let's see, let's put Lady Kate in it while we're at it.
Speaker 1: So we got Paul Houser, We've got Kate, and then who's the director, who's directing you?
Speaker 2: Let's see, My gosh, let's do some pta.
Speaker 3: Why not. Let's dream? Okay, go for it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm gonna be in bed tonight at two am, and I'm going to have a list of like seven d nine answers for all.
Speaker 3: Of these and I'm good.
Speaker 1: What about Tarantino, he's doing his last film? Oh my god, yeah.
Speaker 3: He's doing Get me in there, man.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: I actually okay. I have a fun story. I got registered for voting while on the set of Gilmore Girls.
Speaker 3: Right, Danny Strong, who I had.
Speaker 2: Was obsessed with because I loved Buffy the Vampire Slayer, came up to me and was like, are you registered to vote? And I'm like no. I was eighteen nineteen years old at the time, and he registered me to vote. And then I'm listening to this interview with Tarantino and he goes, Danny.
Speaker 3: Strong, I used to go I used to work in a.
Speaker 2: Blockbuster and Dan Strong used to come in and he was a little kid and checked out all these movies and things, and we talk about all kinds of storylines and everything, and so yeah, let's there. There's Queen Tarantino. Sure, and Danny Danny Danny Strong. Let me have a script with Danny Strong.
Speaker 1: We'll see what we can do. All right, So we're gonna play a little game now called rapid fire. It doesn't necessarily have to move quickly. I'm just going to ask you a bunch of Gilmour related questions and there are no wrong answers, so the pressure is off. All right, Ready, here we go. How do you like your coffee?
Speaker 3: Black?
Speaker 1: Are your team? Logan Jess or Dean.
Speaker 3: Logan?
Speaker 1: Who is your favorite Gilmore girls couple? Luke and Lorelei, Lane and Zach, Emily and Richard.
Speaker 3: There's no other answer.
Speaker 1: That is the right answer. There, I lied to you. That is the right answer. Thank you very much. What would you order at Luke Steiner?
Speaker 3: Do you have an omelet coming right up? Thank you?
Speaker 1: Jackson or Taylor for town selectmen?
Speaker 3: Jackson?
Speaker 1: Really? Okay? How would you rather listen to hef Alien or the Troubadour's cover songs?
Speaker 3: The Troubadour cover songs.
Speaker 1: Harvard or Yale?
Speaker 3: Yale?
Speaker 2: Why because I went and followed Rory around all to heaven to bid at Yale.
Speaker 1: What's Rory's bigger mistake? Crashing the car her boyfriend built for her or sleeping with her ex who was married.
Speaker 2: Let's not judge Rory here, Okay, let's we all make mistakes.
Speaker 3: Scott and.
Speaker 2: I just want you to know, Rory, I'm a loyal friend through and through.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna ask the judges that we will accept that as your answer.
Speaker 3: Thank you. No wrong answers, there.
Speaker 1: Are no wrong answer. Who from Gilmore? Girls? Would you not want to be stuck on a desert island with.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, with all due respect, on a desert island?
Speaker 1: You said? Okay, who do you not want to be stuck on that island?
Speaker 2: Love me some, Liza, but I think Paris and I might be too neurotic for one island.
Speaker 3: So I have to say Paris.
Speaker 1: Something in your life. You are all in on the moment. It has been wonderful talking to you.
Speaker 3: Oh the pleasure was mine. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: And we wish you all the best, Sarah and good luck continued success. Uh say hello to your family for us, and and you know, start scoring some jobs. You know, you know, it's so easy to get a job, isn't it. It's just so easy. You just you just got to say, hey, I need a job. Oh there it is.
Speaker 3: Even though this wasn't a week ago. You never know what you.
Speaker 1: Never know, right anyway, all the best and thank you for coming on. We really appreciate it. Okay, all right, take care now, ye all right, bye, hey everybody, and don't forget follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com. Oh you're Gilmore fans. If you're looking for the best cup of coffee in the world, go to my website from my company Scottip dot com, s C O T. T y P dot com, Scottip dot com Grade one Specialty Coffee