Speaker 1: Kubbooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the old Republic, a sol fastion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto gutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse. Wow, the clearing House of hot takes break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now in.
Speaker 1: The air everywhere. The Fifth Hour with Ben Mallor and Danny g and a happy, happy Sunday Sunday Sunday to you as we hang out together schmoozing, having a fine, fine time on this Sunday. Was it the fourth day today? I believe it is, am I correct on that. I don't even know what dat is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 1: I think it is the fourth day of the month. And there any dopey holidays. I'm sure there are some dopey holidays, but I don't know that we need to do that. We do that every edition of the Fifth Hour. But we have the mail bag, Danny, so why don't we just jump right in to the mail bag with our friend Ohio, al, let's get it on.
Speaker 3: It's bag.
Speaker 1: Thank you al a man that we did not pay, but it's provided little vignettes, musical vignettes for the different bits that we do on the mail bag. And these are actual listener questions from people just like you, submitted either via the Facebook page which is Ben Malors Show or Real fifth Hour at gmail dot com. Real fifth Hour at gmail dot com.
Speaker 3: We're going to be real chill today. It's National Hemp Day.
Speaker 1: Just picking things up as we go.
Speaker 3: No, that's true.
Speaker 1: Is it National m Day? Oh? It is, you're right, it is national. It's Liberachi Day. Didn't Liberaci have a house up in the hills above Fox Sports Radio back in the day.
Speaker 3: He did, and he was an early CBD user.
Speaker 1: Speaking at him, everything's tied together and it was the he had a candelabra up there in a candlelabra. It's dump your significant jerk day today so that you can have fun with that. It's uh jerk yourself away several different meetings. That's a sleep term, as a legitimate sleep term. I did not make that up. National fank a mail carrier day. When's the last time you thank the person that drops mail off at the danny Gia?
Speaker 3: You can never get a word at an edgewise. I told you about that old lady that roams my neighborhood and talks his air off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm good on that. Yeah. I don't even know who the male person in this. I know, I'm not I go. I don't even check the mail very much. But anyway, these are the letters Craigster, still coachless in Seattle, says Hi, Ben and Danny, thank you for the betting advice. I hope other p ones also benefited from it. So my two questions this week are how are cet assignments determined on a pro team's flight to an away game? Primarily thinking about NFL teams? And then I guess that's for me and then for you, Danny, how'se the low no sugar diet working out for you? Thanks for the podcast, Craigster. So I don't know how it works in the NFL because I've never traveled with an NFL team. I did travel with the Dodgers back in the day, so I know how that works, and the way it worked when I was briefly doing the postgame show for the Dodgers was the charted flight. You take the bus to the airport, and the way the bus works is similar to the plane, where the coaches, the manager would sit Lesorda would sit in the very front of the bus, the first seat behind the bus driver. Then behind him would be the coaches and the trainers and they would be intermingled with the media, the broadcasters like Vince Scully and Ross Porter and those guys, and then behind them there would be a couple of empty rows as a buffer, and then the players. And on the plane it.
Speaker 3: Was wait, you guys had buffers on the plane.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure, well it depends what your definition of buffers, but yeah, on the plane it would be the same setup. Now, the thing that's the craziest craigster on the travel with a professional sports team is they fly chartered flights. So when we go to the airport, we wait online to get on the plane, and everyone it's a cattle call to get on the plane. But then when everyone's on the plane, within about fifteen minutes ten minutes, they start taxing for takeoff. It's the oddest thing. I never got used to this, and I didn't do it that often, but I was only with the team briefly traveling. But when we traveled you'd get on the plane, get on the plane to go where you're going, do your thing, and you get on first, and then they have to load all of the luggage and so you end up sitting on the plane for about an hour before you even taxi to take off. It's a backwards kind of setup. The difference is they serve like a nice meal and they have drinks and things like that, and everything's obviously taken care of it. But yeah, the way it works is the usually the coaches will sit up front the media, then there'll be a space so they can't intermingle with the players, and then in the back of the plane would be the players. Now I have heard I have a buddy of mine that does some traveling with the Kansas City Chiefs, and I have heard that they reversed it because the better seats on the chartered plane the Chiefs take are in the middle. So the players are like, why are we sitting in the back of a plane. We want to sit in the middle. Those are the more comfortable seats. So they bumped the media and the coaches to the back of the plane and put the They put the players up in the in the front er in the front part of the plane, the middle part where the better seats are. So anyway, I don't know if that's changed at all, but that I heard that on the on the Chiefs thing. I heard that somewhat recently. What's up? Oh yeah, Danny, what about your question? How's the no sugar diet working out for you? Considering you just told the story yesterday about going to Costco to get dessert.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but the dessert was not for me and I didn't partake. Okay, you know, he was having like a brunch type slash snacks snacks, finger foods and like lots of chips and dips and stuff like that, and I thought, well, we should probably bring in desserts. We don't know what time we're going to get there tomorrow. That's why we went to Costco. But you know, I don't crave desserts too often. Sure, I think the one thing that I do crave though, if you went to Panda Express, you know how they have those cheese filled wan tons.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: I would get like four of those and dip them in a sweet and sour sauce, go for it. That's the kind of sugar that's been really hard for me to not have because I craved that kind of stuff. But it's been working man, just without soda, only eating like very low sugar counts, so I make sure everything I buy is six grams or less nine at the most, so it's going good. I've dropped about fifteen pounds.
Speaker 1: That's great. Yeah, yeah, And I agree with you because I drink mostly water these days, and then I've added it's got about ten calories at the most. That crystal light I think it's called the mix that you put in there. It's kind of a fruit flavor dummy. It's really good and to me, I think I'm drinking like, you know, lemonade or something like that, and it I don't know if it's good for you or not, but I liked taste of it and doesn't have a lot of calories, so you can drink like three or four of them and it doesn't kill you or anything like that if you're into that kind of thing. And the strawberry flavor was really good. That's to me. That's the top of the fruity mix that you can add to the water. Next up Walt from the Valley of the Sun, who it's nice having some new people join us in the mailbag. So Walt from the Valley the Sun rights and he says, I lost my job two weeks ago, and I am going crazy with normal schedule being disrupted. I'm right there with you. I mentioned Walt on the Friday podcast that this week was very odd for me because we didn't tape the TV show. So I'm so used over the last twenty weeks. I've just every week's been the same routine rau of tat tat, and it got disrupted. So I had a little extra free time on my hands, and I didn't really know what to do with it anyway. Walt says, I can only walk the dogs so many times a day and clean up the garage so much. What did you do when Fox Sports Radio made their worst mistake ever and let you pursue other opportunities. Yeah, we just had Danny the fifteenth anniversary of the darkest day in the history of Fox Sports Radio. Yay, it was January twentieth nine. I can't believe it's been that long, but it has. And they whacked me and I was let go. My right hand was getting a workout. I was clearly edited. I never never, I never said that I did not at all, and yeah, Walt. So when I was let go from Fox Sports Radio, I worked on my website, benmallar dot com, so I still had that. But I'm a radio game that was my thing. I love the radio on the radio and all that stuff. So when I was away, I did fill in work at where did I fill in around that time? I don't know if it was exactly the same time period. I did some fill in work at KJR and Seattle Sports Radio station in Denver had me on as a filling guy talking some nuggets and rockies. And then I did some shows for WEI in Boston, filled in for a guy named Mikey Adams who we've had on this podcast, Crazy Radio Guy in Boston, So that was a lot of fun. I actually did an audition show for the Angel station AM eight point thirty. They have studios literally in Anaheim Stadium where the Angels player. Angel Stadium there, right down the right field line, there's a studio right next to Arti Morino's office. Imagine having to do a talk show where in theory you're supposed to rip the Angels and Arti Marino, the owner, has an office literally two doors down from the on air studio at that radio station. Nothing odd about that at all. So I did all that, and that's fun.
Speaker 3: I woant to talk about him every day on the air.
Speaker 1: You fired, and I actually I had. I was in the process vault of lining up a national I had lined up a job to do a national show for another outfit, and then Fox Sports Radio called and said they wanted me to come back, and so I decided I didn't want to leave Fox Sports Radio. They wanted me to leave, and so instead of going to the other place, I ended up going back to Fox Sports Radio after six months and twenty six days. It's not trigonometry, but I did have a lot of free time, and I didn't do a podcast. Podcasting wasn't that big back then. Didn't do it, So maybe should have done it because that would have been a good way to go, But didn't do that, and it all worked out in the end. It all worked out in the end. Masshole Mickey from the Commonwealth Right Since says, if you weren't in the radio business, what would you be doing instead? Danny and Ben, I think we've had this. I feel like we've had this on a regular basis.
Speaker 3: Danny is that we've had a version of We've had at least a version of that before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, well, we'd obviously need a job. Maybe i'd work at Costco. I don't know. I don't know what I'm qualified for other than talking lawyer and I have to go to law school, past the bar and all that. Not sure about sure about that, but eh, yeah, no, I don't know what I would do. I'm just always wanted to be in radio when I was a kid, and do that. Do you have a backup playing Danny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, I ran my own production company and produced music for a few years in the mid two thousand, so I would either be doing that or when I was a kid. The only other thing that excited me as much as music and sports is when my school took a field trip to the fire station and all their equipment and trucks and everything. We're dope, So I probably would have wanted to put fires out for a living.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the fire lifestyle seems seems great because there's not that many fires. You're not really going to too many fires in most places, and it's a lot of like communal cooking. When I was a kid, there was a I used to love I'm Old. So there were these shows. There was the Highway Patrol Show with Poncerello was there was a show called I think it was called Emergency, which was about paramedic.
Speaker 3: It was The Emergency. Yeah that was awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that show too. In fact, the fire station that they used for that show is in the South Bay of Los Angeles. It's still there. There's supposedly a plaque out in front of it where they filmed that show from the nineteen I guess nineteen seventies, I think, I don't I don't know when it was filmed. Eighties, seventies.
Speaker 3: Think, yeah, it was the seventies and we saw reruns of it in the eighties as kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I love love that show. But they were just like a lot of hanging out and a lot of like cooking, going to the grocery store, a lot of that and you know, making you know, some kind of fetuccini or something like that. And for the for the boys at the fire station, seemed like a good time, very communal kind of.
Speaker 3: Like who was in that show? The actor Randolph Mantooth.
Speaker 1: Is that right? Never heard of them?
Speaker 3: Randolph Mantooth?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 3: One of the best names in acting.
Speaker 1: It is a good name. I'll give you that. Georgie and You've allved. He rights in on the mail bag. He says, if you could only only have one item at your super Bowl party, this again, it's a kind of a version of a question we've had. If you can only have one item at your Super Bowl party, which would you choose? When you go with the wings, the pizza, the brots, or any other type of sausage, sandwich, subs or meatballs. So, Georgie and You've all the Texas, I will go for first George super Bowl party. I'm not a big fan of Super Bowl parties because I feel like I don't get to watch the game the way I want to watch the game, because I'm a nerd when it comes to watching games, So that's a bit of a problem. But assuming I was at a party, I'm not a big wing guy. Brots are good, but I would go pizza because there's variety on pizza. The toppings can change pizza. You can have the mallard pizza with the garlic, the onion, the bell pepper. You can have the traditional pepperoni pizza. You can have the barbecue chicken pizza. You can have the Philly cheese steak pizza. You can have the Postromi pizza. You can change the toppings on the pizza to accommodate your mood. You can do the same thing with a sandwich. But I'm going pizza Danny. One item, one item only, super Bowl party. Pick your poison.
Speaker 3: Silence, that's what I want at my Super Bowl party. Silence. I took my answer. Then I'm not a fan of Super Bowl get togethers either, because I want to hear what's going on. I want to enjoy it. I don't want all the distractions. If I had to pick one food, you know, I guess I would go because you love ranch just like I do. I would go. I'd go the celery sticks, the carrot sticks, and the wings to dip in ranch.
Speaker 1: That's a terrible answer. The wing is an inferior product. Number one. Now, there's too much work in eating the chicken wing. You don't get enough satisfaction for your work. So that's the problem.
Speaker 3: Number two, I would do the boneless then from buffalo.
Speaker 1: Well, well, boneless, that's a chicken tender that's different. Now, the boneless is the way to go because you can have the sauce on it, you can change it up, and there's not a lot of work to eating it. It's not a lot of work that goes into it. It's a simple concept. It's not that difficult.
Speaker 3: If you're against the boneless, then I would go half in half because I like both. It just depends what company you're hanging out with.
Speaker 1: Ben.
Speaker 3: Some people are woosies like you, and they can't eat the meat off the bone.
Speaker 1: I can't do it, Dannybody. It's it's just too much effort and energy expended. And I am an answers guy. I want to solve problems, and the Chicken Tenders solve the problem of the chicken wing. The chicken wing was an item that was thrown away by restaurants because it was seemed useless, and then they found a way to try to make some money with it. And it's a scam. It's just like ranch dressings of scam also wrong. It's the same thing. Alf from the Puppy Mill says. Follow up. Follow up from last week is Danny's saying that Eddie has Kevin Durant like rabbit ears. When it comes to the Lovely Karen, is that what you're saying, Danny, I don't know. That's what the alf, that's what he heard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, because remember Eddie's suggestion was for you to take all the things that you can't say on the live radio show and put them onto the podcast. But he guessed Eddie still wouldn't tune into the podcast. I said, if we talked about Eddie's wife and the Chargers, then Eddie would tune in because he always says happy wife, happy life.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, Eddie big big weekend at the Casa Garcia celebrating the Jim Harbaugh hire and the introduction of Jim Harbaugh back Ond. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, did you hear what Eddie's wife had him do?
Speaker 1: No, I did not. I did not.
Speaker 3: She had him put on a Jim Harbaugh mask while they made whoopee, and Eddie.
Speaker 1: Had to say, who's got it better than me? Alf. Also, he had some questions about the dog front Alf, as you know, because I know you heard yesterday's podcast. We had Moxie and Luigi, the new additions to the Malor Mansion. There Moxie the English bulldog, Luigi the combo dish of a French bulldog intermingled with a plug and Alf wants to know where on Big Ben's Big board of dog names would Alf have come on that list? Well, Alf, great name, but you can't name a dog Alf because you're Alf. There's only room for one out. There's only room for one out. You can't. You can't do that.
Speaker 3: Are they both girls? Ben?
Speaker 1: No, Luigi's a dude and he's Moxy's girls. So Mox he's the she's the bitch and Luigi's the dog. The just whether both got gotcha? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I forgot. You went with the named Luigi du and you.
Speaker 1: Oh, you can call a female dog a bitch because that's what that's the term. That's a that's a legal definition term of female dog a bitch. Yes, sexist. I don't think she's offended by that. I don't know. She hasn't spoken. So Barry from South Carolina right since says Yo Yo Ma Benny and Danny g He says, it seems like Stevie Meatballs is a blind bowler. Stevie Meatball's a call her to the Overnight show. He says, Ben, if you were to have a bowling match with Stevie Meatballs, do you think you would beat him? Now? Stevie meet. Paul's is not just a blind bowler. He's going to be in the Special Olympics for blind bowling. So that's very exciting. Uh. I would like the I think that I would be able to beat steaming meat balls as a blind bowler. I have not bowled in the years. When's the last time you went bowling, Danny?
Speaker 3: Oh, it's been like six seven years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been a long time, been longer than that. For me, I'm surprised Covino and Rich don't have a bowling team. The Covino and Rich bowling team with like the shirts, the button down shirt, that seems like something that would be perfect for the show.
Speaker 3: Actually, Covino has mentioned before that he would rather do a bowling team than a softball team, because Rich is always talking about his rec league softball heroics and Covino's like, man, I peaked at little league, you know, don't. I don't want to play baseball. I would rather do bowling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, certainly better than like pickleball or something like that. Bowling Trump's pickleball in my humble opinion, But thank you, Berry, Linda writes in from southern California. Yeah, she's in wittier. She says, Hey, Ben, Danny, I do not want either Rock Perdy or Patrick Goholme to lose. Can you please arrange a tie? Danny? Can you're gonna be in Vegas all week? Can you talk to some people make sure the game ends in a tie. They'll just I bet how many overtimes here's a great question. How many overtimes they have to play in the Super Bowl before they determine it's not safe to play anymore? And just to clear the game of tie.
Speaker 3: I'm not wishing death upon anybody at the Big Game, but with the two teams that are in it Vegas, I really wish that Al Davis's eternal flame was still real fire. Maybe a little fire could break out and at least stall the game.
Speaker 1: This is shame just to lay it. Yeah, it's gonna be tough, Yeah, real tough there, Danny, because you don't like the forty nine ers, and I definitely hate the Chiefs, and one of them is going to be celebrating a championship with confetti in the Raiders leaf.
Speaker 3: See, there's some smoke damage and a little bit of smoke. Some people like breathe in some smoke and have to go to the emergency room. They're okay. Everybody's okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The super Bowl gets postponed and has to be moved to Arizona the following weekend. That would be awesome. That way, neither team celebrates on Vegas Field.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I wouldn't have it any other way. Mike in Fullerton in so cal I was actually born in Fullerton. You know that's fun fact. I was born in the city of Fullerton. Yeah, child anyway, Mike and Fullerton rights and says, Happy National Homemade Soup Day. Ben and Danny, He'll walk around with soup. You remembered to make some, right, He says, uh, I went with malla gut when he what kind of soup is that? You know what that is? Anny, m u l l I g A t A y A w n y. I've never heard of that. What is that?
Speaker 3: I have no idea the hell?
Speaker 1: I mean, what do you think that is?
Speaker 2: That?
Speaker 3: You didn't have to hold on?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna google it on one second, just play some music or something like that. We'll see here.
Speaker 3: La la la la la la la la la la.
Speaker 1: All right. This is a soup which originated from South Indian cuisine. Okay, what is in it? Let's see here. The main ingredients are chicken, mutton and lentils diarrhea. All right, I'm good, I'm good. But it's from India. Racist. He must have just did a search of the most ridiculous soups. Right, he had to He had to do that. He had to do that, he says. Are you guys okay with people bringing their pets with them to work? He says, I heard at the iHeart Building in Burdbank recently they banned the practice. So I'm curious if pets have ever been a problem at the tire Iraq dot Com studios there in Sherman Oaks. So we have had some people bring pets in over the years. I think we've had more of a problem with kids, Danny over the years than pets, but there have.
Speaker 3: Been a few if they qualified.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it's there were some some fellows back in the day.
Speaker 3: Slide an es into that word right before the tea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there were some some kids. I felt like I was babysitting them as I was doing the show. But that's it's a different, different conversations. So, as far as I know, we have not banned pets. I don't know anyone that has brought their pet recently. It's been years, you know, pet at our place.
Speaker 3: You're right, nobody has been bold enough to bring a pet in here since the days of Jay Moore.
Speaker 1: Well, Jay, you know, Hi, this is.
Speaker 2: Shrey Moore and I'm here with my friend Christopher Walking.
Speaker 1: It's a handsome Tuesday, my man, with Jane. I love you. Jay's very very active on that that social media.
Speaker 3: Man, he's a big hitter. My man, if he wants to bring us two pooches in, you can do it, my man.
Speaker 1: Rules of different, Hey, I remember Danny when Rush Limbaugh once or twice a year would come to LA to do a show from the Premiere Radio Networks now just the Premiere Networks. And there have been anti smoking rules in California for how long Danny had a long time, thirty years, forty or whatever. And my man, Rush, if he wanted to smoke a cigar, He's going to smoke a cigar because he's Rush effing Limbaugh. And nobody disagreed with that. By the way, the guy was a legend in radio, but it was just the rules are little different when you get to a certain level for me and Danny. We bring a pet to the studio. My man, you're going to hell. My man, you can't be doing that. That's a third rail, my man. A couple more and get out. Let's say this one's for you, Danny, because I don't know. I don't know what this guy's getting at. John in Brighton, Pennsylvania says, Hey, Ben and Danny, could you rank the Law and Order franchise spinoffs? You want to give that a shot there, Danny, I have no idea, no idea Law and Order franchise spinoffs. Maybe that was for a different podcast he sent that to.
Speaker 3: Well, there's been a lot of those shows. There's like the Special Victims Unit, Criminal Intent. I think there was an LA version Law and Order LA Organized Crime I think was one of them. I would say I like the organized crime for obvious reasons.
Speaker 1: What a job running? Hey man, you got a job the mafioso? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I love gangster stuff. I love organized crime movies. I'd rank that number one.
Speaker 1: Now, are you going to go to the Mob Museum or have you been to the Mob Museum in Vegas?
Speaker 3: I haven't, but I would love to go there. Well, you're going to be there all week.
Speaker 1: It's I heard it's kind of pricey, but it's supposedly, as far as museums go, one of the better museums you can visit.
Speaker 3: You have a TV show tank where they build the custom Yes, yes, I do. I saw those guys build a tank for that museum.
Speaker 1: Oh that's pretty cool. Yeah, it's it's actually within walking distance of like downtown Vegas, the Golden Nugget that area.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's a great point. I should put that on my itinerary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you definitely have to go to. And it's right next to Old Vegas also where all those thrift shops are where I got my Muppet, and you should wander around there, although you might have to do that in the morning because I think they close at five o'clock. And with the schedule you have.
Speaker 3: With hang on, I need to cross off Mike Deshaun Watson appointment. All right, I have an opening, all.
Speaker 1: Right, last one out. Bad Bob from Thornton, Colorado, says gentlemen, I was wondering if Ben ever ate the Tomahawks steak west of the four oh five gave him on the previous incarnation of the fifth Hour, who yes, out out bad Bob. That's what he wants to be called. How bad Bob I did? I did? In fact, I ate it after it sat in my freezer for a year and a half or two years when West of the four h five Gagon was at a party. He now lives in Miami. He moved to Florida like a year ago, but he was out visiting and we we actually barbecued the tomahawk steak and he had some of it. I had a little bit of it, and yeah, so I did not. It's not still in my freezer, right. So that's it. We're done with the letters. Thank you. Next week, if you want to be in the mailbag, I will probably do a mailbag. I can't guarantee because we're going in Vegas for the Fifth Hour, so it really depends on how how that goes. So hopefully we'll be able to get those done.
Speaker 3: But a lot of good surprises come in your way quote unquote live broadcasting from the stage there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what products will the athletes be horing themselves out to promote while they come on the podcast. We can only imagine. But it's the real Fifth Hour at gmail dot com. If you'd like to send a question in for next week's mailbag, Real Fifth Hour at gmail dot com. I will be back on the radio in the Magic Radio Box tonight at eleven o'clock in the West, two am early Monday morning in the East, and we'll have you covered all night long as we lead in to Super Bowl Week. And Daniel, I know you'll be in Vegas this week hanging out with the fellas all week.
Speaker 3: Guess yes, sir, all week long CNR from two to four pm here on the West. That's five to seven pm in Stanford, Connecticut.
Speaker 1: Stanford, Connecticut where I did shows from Outstanding. All right, have a great rest of your day and we'll catch you tonight on the radio and next week on the pod.
Speaker 3: See you at the Super Bowl. Austa Pasta got a murder. I gotta go.